Speaker 1: Fol Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Ah, welcome back to Behind the Bastards, a podcast where we talk about the worst people in all of history. And today's part two on our series on John aspinall the gambling King of London in the fifties and sixties.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie. That made him sound much cooler than he actually is.
Speaker 2: Ah. He is fun. He is fun. Today we're going to get a lot of stories about zoo animals maiming people. So I hope everybody's ready for that, and I hope our guest Ed Zitron is ready for that. Ed welcome back.
Speaker 3: I'm ready. I'm ready to hear about some violent zoo animals.
Speaker 2: Excellent, All right, well here is the fucking story. So John aspinall you know, it is kind of the the fifties are starting to come to a close. Is in a great He's pretty happy, right, He's running these rotating games of chants that are in this legal gray area. He's making a lot of money doing. It's starting to collect, you know, wild animals, starting to build his private zoo. But things are going to like kind of have a sudden shift for him, and it's caused by his mom. Right, she is sort of you know, one of the people who's kind of renting houses for their parties. She's a kind of a key aspect of all this. And the lady Osborne makes a mistake one week in nineteen fifty eight and she rents the wrong house for a shimmy party because it's it's outside of their usual range and it's under the jurisdiction of the Paddington Police, who are not chill with what John Aspinall is doing for reasons that I've never really been made clear to me. But this is not a friendly police station. I don't know why, but yeah, so there's and part of what seems to have happened is I think they pissed off one of these rich people who loses a bunch of money at their games because it looks like he kind of drops a dime on them to the Paddington cops. And so for the very first time, the police carry out a raid on one of these games he's playing. And because this is the kind of game that it is, they arrest a bunch of like lords and ladies along with Aspenall in his friends. It's this like big moment in high society because like there's footage like pictures of the cops leading out all of these very, very highly born people and taking them into custody. Very This kind of gives you an idea of sort of the tinor of that night when when the police enter the house, Lady Osborne demands a list of the charges against them, and the police inspector says that they're being charged with keeping a common gambling house, and her response is, young man, there was nothing common in this house until you entered.
Speaker 3: It got him. Yeah, I'm sure he love that bit. I'm sure was like, oh, perfectly, Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, I'm faddy of a comment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is so perfect.
Speaker 3: That's classic England.
Speaker 2: Now, that said, if you are an above room temperature person, you're probably not surprised to hear that nothing happens as a result of this legal case. Right, not only does aspinall have money, but like they have arrested all of the people who are running the country, so it doesn't go anywhere. He's a little bit yeah, yeah, not only are their charges dismissed, but the arrest of all these people kind of radicalizes a number of influential Britons and in nineteen sixty Parliament passes what became known as Aspinall's Law, the Gaming Act, which legalizes us you never want to law named after No. It's always a bad thing, like Maxg's disease.
Speaker 3: Also a bad one, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also a bad one. But this makes it legal for people to run casinos in London, which is what this is why London becomes the gambling capital of Europe for a while. Right, it's because of Aspinall's Law. So the downside of this is that, like, now he has competition. Right back when it was this gray area, he'd kind of figured out a sweet spot. There was nobody else really running these chimney games on the same scale that he is. Now anyone can run a chimney game. So Aspinall has to kind of think bigger. And on November twelfth, nineteen sixty two, he opens his ultimate gaming hall, the Claremont. Now this is in like a neighborhood in London called Mayfair, which is like super rich neighborhood. Right, this is like a very central Yeah, it's like a nice place to do this kind of shit. And he, you know, he has this. If you look at videos from this gaming hall, it's like very high ceilings, huge chandeliers, like it's a place for the wealthy and the well born to feel comfortable. Like Crockford, he limits his business to a pretty select clientele. Kind of as time goes on he opens it up more to like new money, but certainly at the start it's really focused on the ancestrally wealthy, and there's this kind of two tiered membership structure that's also how the club is run. The people who are kind of technically his employees, although he's not open about this, are called the blues, and these are mostly Some of them are like high born people who don't have a lot of money but are good gamblers. Some of them are like people of more common stock who are just really good gamblers, but they are his house gamblers, and their goal is not to win in order to get money. Sometimes they do that, but it's largely if you're really good, you can kind of influence games to keep them running, right, to keep them going longer, because the longer different games go on, the longer a hand goes on, the more money gets put in. Right, and since the house is taking a cut out of every pot, that works out better for you. Right, you don't need your house guys to win, but you need them to keep the game going. So the pot is bigger and you get a bigger cut, right. And so these guys, the Blues, they get free membership in the club and they receive a basic salary for their work. The Reds are the marks, and these are the sons of power and prestige who he's going to rob blind right now. A couple of years after the Claremont opens, in nineteen sixty eight, John Aspinall opens his zoo doors to I say, the public. It's most It is a private zoo, so you have to pay to get in. But it becomes like this is the zoo you go to if you're rich, right, You're not going to like the London zoo, right, that's where common people go to look at at endangered animals. You're gonna go to Aspenall Zoo. Right now. The fact that he's opened his home zoo to the public is against the express advice of like expert zoo keepers he had consulted, who didn't think that he had like the temperament to safely run a zoo, which turns out to be a wise concern. But he also has this very unique view on the care of animals, right. He thinks that they should be offered different food regularly so that they have like a varied diet and so that their diet is more exciting. He thinks it bores them, which he's kind of right about. And he also thinks that they need constant stimuli, which is true.
Speaker 3: I'm also sorry, but I never really considered one's temperament a feature of a zoo, just because generally a zoo is not controlled by one person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his is. So he gets to it's good. Yeah, it's great, it's good, and it's bad. The animals in his zoo, some people are you, seem to have been happier than like most other zoos at the time because he's feeding them. Sometimes he'll bring them like like he'll bring his gorillas gourmet food from the Claremont and shit, and he has. He and his zoo keepers spend a lot of time playing physically with the animals, which, as we'll talk about, is dangerous. But the animals seem to be happier, and the best evidence for this is John's peculiar history with gorillas. He meets his first gorilla at the London Zoo. This old silverback named Guy, and because he's he's got money, he's able to basically like convince the zoo keepers to let him try to hang out with Guy. You know, he'll feed the animal and stuff. But like, Guy is an adult silver back, so he's not super like into being buds. But meeting this animal that like won't be his friend makes John obsessed with the idea that one day I will make an adult male gorilla be my best friend. To befriend a gorilla, I am going to befriend a gorilla. Yeah, that is my life goal.
Speaker 3: I now I've successfully defrauded a bunch of rich people. Now I move on to defrauding a gorilla. Yeah, I'm going to convince a gorilla that one become the gorilla's friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What a what a wild life goal. So he's he's gonna make this gorilla his best friend. So after he moves into Howlitz, you know, he gets the zoo started, he uses some of his infinite gambling money to buy a gorilla. And the first gorilla he gets again, anyone can have any animal at this point in time if they have enough money. So he finds a gorilla some other rich guy had owned named KEI.
Speaker 3: Was gonna say, how does one purchase a gorilla?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's through a gorilla dealer. You know you've got a guy.
Speaker 3: Oh my gorilla guy. Yeah, yeah, I get a gorilla guy. Stay you going to gorillas this week?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I got some fun cut silver yea, A lovely one coming in next week. You love it. He'll be your friend.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately for John, and more unfortunately for this gorilla named Kievu. Kivu is his is bit of abuse victim. This gorilla has PTSD. It's deeply traumatized. Now, to his credit, John recognizes this is a traumatized animal and he uses human logic to try to comfort it. And he's like, you know what makes a sad man happy is a woman. So he gets a human woman, his mother in law, to like sleep in bed with this gorilla to try to soothe it. That's his that's his strategy.
Speaker 3: My.
Speaker 2: Now, gorilla's not aggressive animals to people, and so this doesn't go badly. His mother in law doesn't get like hurt or anything.
Speaker 1: Let's just start there.
Speaker 2: Kivu does not seem to like well, I think John may have disliked that woman and Kivu that's my point. Does not respond positively to this, Like, again, gorillas are quite peaceful. He doesn't like attack her, but he dies of depression a couple of months into this man, that woman was very sad.
Speaker 1: Women are evil, as we've established, and that one.
Speaker 2: Sophie, I don't know. That's the lesson. He died in the same way that potme died in st He does, he does. He doesn't badme.
Speaker 1: She made that gorilla have depression.
Speaker 2: I mean the gorilla was already depressed, Sophie.
Speaker 3: You made it worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with her like horrible woman.
Speaker 2: Well I did not see this this turn from you, Sophie. Man the subredd it's gonna have a field day with this one.
Speaker 1: No, they're finally going to be on my side.
Speaker 2: So wow. You know, John is very sad for a while. But I think this is a commonly known thing. When you lose a gorilla, the only thing to do is double down and get two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need more gorilla, You need more gorillas, right, The problem was not gorillas.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the market I imagine is quite liquid at this time, so like a gorilla is floating around.
Speaker 2: So he buys two more gorillas, a breeding pair, and he sets about making them happy enough to breed. Now this had been done at there, that people had bred gorillas. At this point, it is kind of considered one of the one of like the brass rings of the zoo world is getting gorillas to breed in captivity. It's not easy, right like, they are hard to make comfortable enough to be willing to make a gorilla horny. It's tough to make a gorilla horny. So John works on these gorillas. He spends a lot of time intimately with them. He wrestles with them, right, He'll like play games with them physically, He'll cuddle with them at night, and they they do seem to come to view him as a friend, and it gets comfortable enough that they they start to breed. Right like, he does succeed in making them happy enough that they are willing to make more gorillas. So I guess that it's a win for him. He also grows closer with his bears during this period of time, which is an uneven process. Right one day, What a.
Speaker 3: Great other thing to happen in this story, of course, see as he romances the gorillas, he successfully improves his friendship with the It's like fucking like an RPG.
Speaker 2: Unevenly, I should say, because one day he like enters the bear inclosure without sort of like you know you would. There's a there's a certain way you want to enter your bear enclosure to not spook them. He doesn't do this, and they they maul him. They nearly kill him, right like. He gets horribly injured by these bears, and his mother around the same time is nearly murdered. A wolf that he's trying to treat like a dog almost rips her throat out of course he's got a wolf. Of course he's got a wolf. Yeah, you're gonna have a wolf.
Speaker 3: Gonna have a gorilla with that wolf. Gon'na have a really without bath like.
Speaker 2: So his his family narrowly escapes anything fatal. But this mix of complete dissociation from reality because he's this wealthy, gambling maven, combined with spending all of his free time cuddling with wild animals, leads John to kind of believe that he's gone feral himself, right swee. He would later say, sometimes when I'm pleased to meet a friend, I find myself purring like a tiger. When I make love, I even grunt like a gorilla. That's just how British people sound. One like fuck, yeah, so that's good. That's good. He was so convinced that he has gained some secret insight into the lives of the gorillas that he's willing to bet his life on it. At one point on safari in Africa, a friend has to rescue him when a male lion starts roaring at the party. And John, you know there's a lion outside of your camp that's being aggressive. You want to stay inside the camp, you know where there's lights and men with guns. John charges out into the night, and he claims later I wanted to reason with it, like yeah, yeah, that don't work on a lion.
Speaker 3: That's fine. Come on, might have a word with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they love being recent.
Speaker 3: Let me know how it goes. I will be inside the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of his friends basically has to like tackle him to stop him from getting murdered by this.
Speaker 3: Let him, let him cook, let's see what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so as his collection might don't Yeah, yeah that one made who saves you from getting eaten by a lion?
Speaker 3: No, I mean one might go strong reason with the lion who tries to talk it out with a pines doAnd the local he's all fucking yelling at the lions, trying a reason, we're Steve come.
Speaker 2: Then, so his collection expands and how it's becomes again it's this kind of the private zoo of the ultra rich. And by the late nineteen six again there's a degree to he's very irresponsible in a lot of ways, but there is a degree to which he's good at this because by the end of the sixties, Aspinall has the largest captive bread gorilla call in the world, which is an achievement, you know, dubiously moral achievement, but that is a thing to have done, right, So.
Speaker 3: I genuinely have to say this. Yeah, one through line with this is that this boy was raised kind of cruelly. Yeah, like he went through the school system. But weirdly enough, I have to wonder if a lot of these people gems the wokest thing. I'll say, genuinely, if a lot of these people didn't actually have good hearts but were just torn up by this hellish system that Britain had created called Britain. And just this is the result of this horrifying school system, this horrifying culture, is that you just have this fucking nutter who is only able to really be nice to gorillas to make them fuck. Yeah, but he's so utterly broken that he does not know how to communicate with animals or humans alike. He only knows how to exploit them. Yeah, depressing, oways, nothing about this is depressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it is like fascinating. But if he had grown up like in an environment that was like both more nurturing and also where there was some degree of like rigor placed on, like, you know, maybe he could have become like a normal wildlife expert, you know. His Yeah, he seems to actually have a talent. He has some degree of a gift here. It's just married to this inability to not be crazy about it, right, Yes, Yeah, because he's he's like effectively like a miniature deity, like at this point in time.
Speaker 3: Right, he thinks he's craven Hanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's something else. So while he again there's this undeniable element of skill in what he is, his irresponsibility also gets people horribly, horribly injured and worse in the future. And the first example of this in nineteen seventy He's got this friend Annabel Burley. Annabel is a social lighte. She is an aristocratic lady. She's married at that point to a businessman named Mark Burley, and she comes to visit Howlitz with her young son Robin and her daughter. She's close with the Aspinall family. You know their kids are going to hang out together, and obviously, being children, you take a bunch of children to a place like Hawlitz, they want to see the animals. Of course, that's what kids are going to want to do. So Lord Aspinall only too happy to oblige them. Quote and this is from Pearson's book The Gamblers. After seeing the gorillas, Aspinall was anxious to take them all to see one of his young female tigers called Zora. Annabel was not so keen on this and wouldn't let her daughter India Jane into the cage with the other children, like Damien and Amanda. Rupert was used to the animals, but Robin was nervous. Though Aspinall persuaded him to approach the tiger and stroke her, Aspinall turned his back for just one moment. In that split second, the tiger, sensing Robin's fear, rose on her hind legs, put her front paws on his shoulders and pushed him to the ground. Snarling, she shook the boy's head in her mouth. Seeing what was happening, Aspinall leapt towards the tiger, and with the show of strength, somehow prized her jaws apart. By doing this, he undoubtedly saved Robin's life. Min Aspinall that's his wife, meanwhile, was tugging at the tiger's tail, trying to prevent its rear claws tearing at the boy's body. Somehow, between the two of them, they made the tiger drop her prey. Rigid with fear at the nightmare taking place before her eyes, Annabel watched as James Osborne rushed forward and picked up her son, who was still conscious. Rupert and Nindia Jane were terrified and screaming. As James carried Robin out of the cage to safety, Annabel could see that the lower left hand side of his face was crushed past recognition, his mouth had disappeared, and part of his jaw was hanging by a thread. So maybe don't let children in a cage. Good tiger, he lives, he will make a recovery. They like he has to go immediately into surgery. He has like.
Speaker 3: Scars, a recovery of sorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they described that probably some trauma one would is alive PTSD from getting your sixty. Yeah yeah, it's uh yeah, very arist.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a story from like the eighteen hundreds, but this is alarmingly recent.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is like this is like Star Trek is on the air right closed to it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's it's pretty insane. So despite this, like everyone is horrified by this kind of butt Aspenall, he's like, well, this tiger had a bad reaction to this kid. Yeah, yeah, it's the tiger. I'm going to keep having my tiger Tara sleep in bed with me and my wife.
Speaker 3: Right, that's the good tiger.
Speaker 2: And you know, most of his friends are generally loath to question his judgment because they're all in debt to him, right, they're all gambling at the Claremont.
Speaker 3: And he has a bunch of violent animals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has dangerous animals. Now kind of by this point, the Claremont set has filled out. Aspinall has made two additional friends to kind of complete his his inner circle, and one of these guys is the seventh Earl of Lucan, nicknamed Lucky Lucan after a particularly great gambling hall earlier in his life. Now, Lucan, his grandfather is the dude who did the charge of the Light Brigade. Right, that is the family that this guy comes from. And as you might guess from the whole Charge of the Light Brigade thing, his family is kind of a reputation for eccentricity. Now, this is not always bad. Lucan's father, who's the sixth Earl of Lucan, becomes like a massively influential Labor Party leader in the House of Lords and is like a very famous progressive in this period. But his son, the seventh Earl of Lucan, does not get along with his dad. He actually hates his father. And part of what this means is that he goes far right right. Now, this makes him fit in very well because all of the old money said at the Claremont are right wing guys. But he isn't just like conservative. He develops a specific fascination with the Nazis, and in fact, after bad night's gambling, he would calm himself down by reading mind komp like that's his like, that's his safe place. That's his putting on like Frasier at night to go to sleep.
Speaker 3: His reason I play like Slay the Spy or MLB to the show. Yeah, like just like something to chill out with, except he chose that book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit of Hitler to calm yourself down after a hard day.
Speaker 3: That's his Housewives.
Speaker 2: That that's his Desperate Housewives.
Speaker 3: It's nothing first sight for him is Hitler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's his chill out.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: Married, yeah, wild. So the other friend who joins their circle is this fellow James Goldsmith. Now he's the son of a luxury hotel magnate. He's not he's not royalty right. In fact, he's a He's a Jewish guy. His family has to flee Germany ahead of the Nazis, right, he's going to be one of these new money people who kind of remakes the ruling class. You know. He's one of these sort of like guys who sort of he comes in during this period and becomes one of the most powerful people in the entire country. He's this he's an Etonian, but he drops out for graduating because he's already is like a kid, a successful entrepreneur, and he basically tells everyone, I'm too rich for this high society cloud game. Bullshit, Right, I've made my money. I don't need your approval now. Now you have to get my approval because you're all going broke gambling and I have the fucking cash, right, And he's got He's a fascinating dude. Actually get Goldsmith. In his older adult life, Goldsmith is like this corporate raider dude. He's stripping assets and like destroy He's one of the men who will destroy industry in Britain, right because he's stripping all the and like strips assets from all these companies. He's this big offshoring guy he's going to like play a major role in killing along with his other dude, a friend of his, Slater killing like industry in the UK. But earlier in his life, he has this like wildly romantic and sympathetic backstory. So as a young man, he falls in love with this woman, Maria Borbon, and Maria is her father. Is this indigenous Bolivian man, right who like as he's kind, he's a minor basically, and he kind of lucks into buying this incredibly rich tin Vein, which makes him an incredibly wealthy man. And he then moves to the to Europe because he knows that, like the political situation Bolivia is unstable, and he buys himself a Spanish noble title. Right, so he is a he comes from a very common you know, he's literally an indigenous man from South America, but he makes himself into a European noble and he does not want his daughter Maria to marry this Jewish man, right, and in fact tells him when James tries to come to him for his approval to get married, He's like, we are not in the habit of marrying Jews. Now James is a piece of shit too, and his response is, well, I'm not in the habit of marrying red Indians. So oh, you know, two racists negotiating a marriage. Racist Uno, Yeah, racist Uno. Now Maria's dad is insanely rich. When they try to get married anyway, he has his daughter kidnapped and put under house arrest. She yeah, it's one of these, and she like, there's this time where he keeps searching, He's traveling around the world looking for her, Like she's being kind of locked away, she gets free and they run to Scotland together, right, and they they start they hide out in Scotland because the way the laws are at the time, if you've been in Scotland for two weeks, you can get married there. Don't ask me why that's the rule, but that's the rule. So they're like and like. At the same time, her dad, who like has mercenaries, travels to Edinburgh and so he's got like his mercenaries in private searching for them for two weeks as they're like hiding in the underground so that they can get married. And it's one of those things. James being a pretty savvy guy, he starts sending letters to a journalist right telling them what they're doing, telling him about the fact that they're and this journalist starts publishing articles while they're hiding and while like their dad is putting out bounties for them, and it becomes like the biggest story in the country, right, everyone it's this incredibly romantic tale. This couple has eloped and they're being chased by this evil plutocrat and like they're hiding out in the Edinburgh underground. Like everyone is obsessed with this story. Couldn't be much more romantic, right, it is a pretty cool so you could make a movie out of this. Yeah, it's thought you really very cool. I would watch a movie about that. It is a dope story. So and they succeed, right, They're able to kind of wait out long enough that they elope they have this like secret wedding and then you know there's nothing that Maria's dad can do about it, so they're able to move back to London where they are. They're not just popular with the rich because they're like the like everyone loves them, right, this is such a celebrities. Yeah, this is Yeah, it's such a romantic story. And then almost as soon as they get back, you know, she gets pregnant and dies horribly in childbirth. So it is this guy. Yeah, it's this really tragic, like hi dramas story. It is like the most sympathetic backstory a dude would have. And the rest of James's life is going to be killing all of this sympathy by becoming like the evilest corporate overlord of his day. Right, yeah, it's it's something else, ok. Fine, Yeah, and some people will argue because he like his marriages are purely transactional. After this point, you know he's got this these mistresses, but he never like loves again like this seems to have. Basically, some people will argue this kind of kills his ability to care about people. I don't know if that's the case. Maybe he always would have turned out to be a piece of shit, but I.
Speaker 3: Think that it's hard to tell what's inside of man's especially when he's British. Yeah, but it's definitely didn't help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't help, and he's gonna again. He destroys kind, He helps to destroy the cot like industry in the UK. He makes a lot of his money in tobacco. He's a big tobacco guy. He makes a lot of his money in Indonesian nickel miinds, which are not nice places. He's buying and selling forests around the world, including in the US for timber, and he kind of he's one of the dudes who will pioneer the modern concept of setting up shell companies and shadow appet so that he can basically secretly buy up controlling interests in companies without people realizing until it's too late that he's taken them over. Like he helps to kind of pioneer. How you do that in the modern era? That is that is this other buddy of Johnson.
Speaker 3: Is so good at developing people at this Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: A very British story, right, And Lucan and Goldsmith are going to form the nexus of a far right poll in aspenall social world and I say that everyone's pretty right wing. These are all rich people from like families that have always been rich. But England that at that time was pretty right wing anyway, England is very right wing at this time and Goldsmith, but Goldsmith and Luken are like fascists, right. And in fact, in nineteen ninety four, like one of Goldsmith's first things, he's like the first Brexitter before the EU is even a thing. He's like fighting like hell to stop the creation of the EU and to stop England from being a part of it. That doesn't work, and he gets He's as kind of a response to failing to stop the EU, he writes this book in nineteen ninety four called The Trap, And basically the argument is in the Trap is that like US style attitudes of free trade which bring with them mass migration, right, which open borders that people can travel between borders is a trap because it will lead to non white people taking over, right, that's the Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: This is like a great replacement guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, this is like the BC version of the great replacement theory, right, Like it's a little bit underdeveloped when he starts it, but you can see the bones of it in the book that he writes. Yeah, yeah, so that's cool. Anyway, you know who doesn't support the great replacement as a narrative, the podcast or the sponsors of our podcast. Oh okay, yeah, they don't do that, so buy them. Uh we are back. We're having a good time over here. So James Goldsmith is a mercantilist, right, he feels basically that wealthy and this is kind of the attitude of the Claremont set. Wealthy business owners should hold all political power and the government should primarily be used to stop poor people from entering Europe through force. Right. That is the belief that this guy has not an uncommon one today. You see the descendants of Jimmy Goldsmith all over the place. But this is weird because he's he and aspinall are the two independently wealthy, like actually wealthy, not just inherited money and squandered it members of the Claremont set. So he is the only guy in this social circle who's willing to tell John, hey, your zoo experiments are insane, like like you're you're a lunatic. And in fact, on the day is your tiger of ripped someone's face? Yeah, he actually bad. He tries to Warren Annabel the day her son gets maimed. He's like, Oh, I would never get in the cages with these animals. They're wild animals. If they get frightened, you never know what they're going to do, right, Like, you can't you can't trust them with your safety, just doing the jock test, ignoring it. No, no, throw the kid in there right ooh yeah, tells fucking prick it's wild. So at the end of the sixties, Jimmy opens his school to again the public, provided that they can pay, and he has expanded by this point to a host a wide variety of animals. He starts to get less interested in the Claremont at this point. Right gambling has kind of gotten boring and nothing compares throwing down money, which he has plenty of on a game, is not nearly as exciting as like cuddling with a tiger. Right, So, at the start of the seventies he sells the Claremont outright. I think he sells it to Hugh Heffner. May be wrong about that, but he sells it so he can focus on his new passion. Now, Aspenall, he's been dying every day, nearly nearly dying every day to animals, to wild animals. May now in sort of the period as he's gotten experienced with this zoo and kind of gotten bored of gambling. Aspenall has also begun to develop a peculiar set of theories about the world, basically not just yes. Some of them are based on Goldsmith and his buddy Luke and their outright Nazism has an impact on Aspenall, but Aspinall is also heavily influenced by his close contact with wild animals. His idea, the idea that he comes to believe, is this, in the ancient past, human beings and animals had been equal, but then mankind had betrayed them, creating a world in which animals were little more than beasts of burden. Aspinall saw himself as the appointed defender of the animal world from man, and in his eyes, the oppression of animals was not caused by rich men like him who keep them in zeus, or who like buy and sell forests, like his buddy James Goldsmith. But it's caused by poor people, mostly non white people right right where, Yeah, who are cluttering up the world with their filth, and.
Speaker 3: That somehow controls the animals. Right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna quote from an article in the Telegraph that's kind of writing about him. He castigated the human race as a species of vermin and positively welcomed natural disasters as a means of reducing the plague of Homo sapiens. He would gladly end his own life, he declared, if he could take another two hundred and fifty million with him, there was something to be said. He felt for Hitler's ideas about eugenics. Broadly speaking, he said the high income groups tend to have a better genetic inheritance. And like he meets, he becomes buddies with Richard Nixon at one point. Obviously, of course, of course he and Nixon are friends, and you know, they're hanging out one day and the Claremont Nixon's like, you know, we have some of their nuclear weapons. We've got to kill two million people if they hit the right place. And fucking Aspinall's response is like, well, that's not nearly enough. We're gonna have to We're gonna have to up those numbers if we're gonna get rid of enough.
Speaker 3: Beatle's again, let's get the work. Americans have gotten cocky. Eurotrocities are nothing compared to the British Empire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is good.
Speaker 3: The conversation that must have been fixed. Ditch. One of the tigers nearly killed someone when I sleep with the gorilla. Now you doesn't like Americans?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do not think a gorilla would have a good reaction to dignate Johnson. Sorry, yeah, this gorilla actually loved escalation in Vietnam, couldn't get enough of it. So it was not only the poor that that Aspinall's animal friends taught him to reject pearson Rights quote. Having identified fed so closely with his gorillas, he started to imitate their habits and showed a marked preference for the rules governing the world of animals to that of human beings. From watching how the dominant old silverback gorilla ruled the females in his entourage. He concluded that the idea of women's rights and women's liberation was not only ridiculous, but also contrary to nature. He'd also decided that an authoritarian, paternalistic setup was the natural model for a human family. He's a he's a literal gorilla mindset, dude.
Speaker 3: He is quite literally a gorilla mindset.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. The gorillas have taught me how human relationships outill work.
Speaker 3: Mike is going to listen to this and be like, oh, well, to.
Speaker 2: Be clear, I'm not saying he's right about how gorilla I don't know. I don't know much about gorillas.
Speaker 3: This guy is a disgraceful piece of share and I wope burns in hell. But also he does kind of live his dream. It's not like he's saying I have the gorilla mindset. Yeah, and doesn't. He owns these gorillas and indeed interacts with them, cuddles. Is what I think he believes is a peer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to you have to give him credit. He's not a dilettante, right, he is committed to living like an animal, So I'll give him that. I'm not saying that's a good thing. I'm just don't got to hand it to him. But you don't get to hand it to him, he'd be he's not a casual. Yeah, there are if you read interviews with him. I have read two separate interviews with him that he gives at his zoo with a journalist, two separate interviews where he is mauled by an elephant while giving the interview. That happens twice. Yeah, it's something else. So to continue that quote. From studying how the animal kingdom operated in the wild, he reached some even more alarming propositions. The first of these was that just as the survival of the fittest seems to work in nature, we should willingly accept the position of the powerful and successful as natural leaders of modern day society. He also believed as firmly in selective breeding for humans as he did for animals, and proclaimed that since animals had as much right to exploit the planet as a human beings, the time had come to call something like a billion humans from what he called the urban biomass if the world as we know it was going to survive. So that's great, that's great, that's good. Yeah, Now, his evolving gorilla.
Speaker 3: Min Elon Musk. Dealing with any of these people, they would kill him. Yes, actually yeah the gorilla. The gorilla looks pretty epic to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would try to cuddle with a lion and get his head crushed. She immediately die, which might have been the best thing. Honestly, this could save us all a lot of problems. Yeah, so his evolving gorilla mindset, this is why he like leaves his like. So, he and his first wife split up. She cheats on him, and he decides to keep her. He like locks her away from their kids, right like, she has no contact with the children. So he marries this next woman, who is like a wonderful partner. She loves his animal. She's like in every way, a perfect match. But she delivers a daughter with a heart defect who dies after birth. So John dumps her because like, well, humans should only mate to breed, because that's what gorillas do and obviously we can't breed, so goodbye. Yeah, okay gross his third wife, who he marries because she has a famous ancestor and he wants that those jeens and his children like Merlin, No, no, no, I wish it's a us shit, I've forgotten I had it written down somewhere here. But yeah, she has a famous ancestor that he admires. And when they have their first kid, John waits until it's six months old, and then he takes it into his gorilla enclosure and hands it to the dominant mother father pair in the gerrillarium. Right. Uh, and I'm gonna I'm going to quote from Pearson here. The gorilla appeared inside its nappy to see what sex it was, with the baby tucked under her arm, swung up into the trees, and showed him to the other females in the community. When all the female gorillas had thoroughly examined the baby, Bassa, his gorilla mother brought him down to earth and returned him safely to his human parents.
Speaker 3: That was not how I thought that one was gone.
Speaker 2: No, it works out fine, So that's great.
Speaker 3: That's kind of strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a wild experience, baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a wild experience to participate in, even as an observer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's wild.
Speaker 3: We would just send the baby off to the gorillas.
Speaker 2: Sally marries him after this anyway, She's like, yeah, fine, why not the baby?
Speaker 3: It was fine, nothing to complain about.
Speaker 2: Jesus, it works out fine. So the early nineteen seventies are a bad time for the Aspinalls, and they're rich friends, but for reasons divorced from getting mauled by wild animals. The economy tanks at this point, right Aspinall, not just in the UK, but like Aspinall has, he's gotten over gambling on gambling and is gambling on the US stock market and he loses his fucking shirt when the US stock market takes a tumble in the early A new.
Speaker 3: Kind of exploit or exploited him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and really it is just human beings will create new systems to exploit other human beings. He created one and then another, and then someone created one to exploit him.
Speaker 2: It's kind of beautiful, it is. It is, it's it's it's batical way, yeah.
Speaker 3: Quote George Lucas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's able to. He doesn't lose everything just because his friend Goldsmith, right, is still rich and Goldsmith basically floats him so he can keep paying for his exotic animals. During this period, the other members of the Claremont Set do not fare as well. The new membership of the club won't give them IOUs right so these guys are all still horribly addicted to gambling because they never started businesses or zoos they have Like Lord Lucan has nothing in his life but gambling, and he's bad at it, so he can't afford to gamble without aspinall running the Claremont. Now luc Is this starts to kind of drive him crazy. The fact that he is actually poor now, Like he still has his fancy manor house, he's still a lord, but he has no money. That drives him crazy. And then in nineteen seventy four a labor government takes over in the UK, and that drives these guys, these Claremont members, into a sense of mania because to them, aspenall the way, Aspenall views this is this labor government. These are communists. Communists have taken over and they are in the process of uprooting the natural order of society. This is a conspiracy against the rightful ruling class based on my gorilla studies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the ruling class that got there through gambling on an insane game.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Something else so that they're not they're not good rich people like us where we got money through gambling. That bad rich people who got it through some other method that I don't really understand.
Speaker 2: They did something shady for it. Now no one's no one's mind has degraded more by this point than the formerly lucky Lord Lucan. His luck had turned sour years ago, and again he is broke. Now he's increasingly obsessed with fascism. And this is all related to the fact that his marriage has collapsed, right, and it's become clear like his wife is going to take the kids, right, So he just is losing his mind increasing And anytime he'll meet with his Claremont buddies with Aspinall, because they're all still hanging out, Aspinall will cite these theories based on gorillas of how inferior women are. So Lucan takes from that he tries to force his wife into a mental institution so he can take the kids. He does this several times. This would have worked. I think Aspinall. Probably Aspinall had wanted to like force a wife into a mental institution, he had the juice to do it. Luken isn't good at anything, so he can't he can't even work this kind of evil scheme, right, He's just he's not even able, even with his like social position, to make this happen thankfully. Right, that's good.
Speaker 3: And also his rationale is based on gorillas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's based on his friend's gorillas. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So who told you the gorilla for our right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Lord Lucan his mind is a mix of his buddies gorilla theories, and he buys this nineteen thirties translation of mindkomp which which he reads feverishly and is.
Speaker 3: Also his off the World War two as well well after World War Two. It's the Losing Guy's Handbook to racism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he does. He has one other idol. Unfortunately, that idol is Mustapha Kamal of Turkey, who is you know, a dictator and one of the Armenian genocide guys. Yeah, and the book is called Gray Wolf, right, which is today the name of a fascist organization in Turkey.
Speaker 3: So that's good, not good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So these are his two buds, right, Hitler.
Speaker 3: And Hitler and gorilla and dictator.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that's his his like his like in his head, the fucking like. Yeah. His idols are.
Speaker 3: Hysteric, including a gorilla.
Speaker 2: Uh so yeah, and you know this says something about his wife too. She claims in interviews later she didn't realize that he'd taken a turn for the extreme right. Although this is the exact quote from her, I'm not sure I believe her here quote. He did have very right wing views, some might describe them as fascist. I didn't know he was indulging in extremist reading matter in nineteen seventy two, although I knew he listened to recordings of Hitler's speeches at Nuremberg rallies.
Speaker 3: Well, was that not a warning science?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where'd you think he golt the ideas? Did he just like walking down the street it's someone talking about it? Or was it his weird gorilla friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah? I also just like I didn't know the gorilla man. Again, I didn't know he was reading fascist books. I just knew he listened to Nuremberg a lot. Wild So, this increasingly conspiratory obsession with race theory, communism and communism and the only possible solution to a labor government infected the whole Claremont set. And I'm going to quote from a really interesting, interesting two thousand and nine article in the Guardian. Here there is no suggestion that Luken was in any way anti Semitic or supported the final solution, but he and his associates, who included casino owner and party host John Aspinall and the tycoon sur James Goldsmith, were increasingly convinced Britain had fallen victim to a socialist conspiracy. Daily Express journalist Charles Benson, one of Luken's friends, said he was very right wing and never watered it down in front of liberals. He would talk about hanging and flogging and use the inWORD in order to get a reaction. One biographer, Patrick Marnham said, seen from the Claremont Club, the country was starting to resemble the less stable years of the Weimar Republic. Sir James Goldsmith began to develop his theory of the communist infiltration of the Western media. Over the smoked salmon and lamb cutlets. The talk turned to the pros and cons of a British military coup and that is what these guys are going to come to support now. So when he was just.
Speaker 3: The guy who claimed he wasn't right wing, who walked around saying the N word to get a reaction around a bunch of people who are kind of embarrassed to be around him, just like podcaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a podcaster. Yeah, he would have been a great boy.
Speaker 3: Like he would have been a he would have been on was it a Lex Friedman's podcast?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, huge Friedman?
Speaker 3: So what is that do you think?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: The girl guy? Huh? Actually, no, a guy you seriously, A guy who's just like, Yeah, I learned everything I learned about woman from watching Mike Gorillas. That guy would be an insanely popular YouTube.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he would be huge. Now. It's also it's worth noting one of their good friends here when I talk about them supporting a military cupe. A member of the Claremont set who's tight with all these guys is this dude Sterling who creates the SAS. And Sterling is going to make a private army in the UK with the goal of like using them as this sort of right wing counter availing force. It doesn't work out for a variety of reasons, but like, these are their social set, and by late nineteen seventy four things have gotten to a pretty toxic level. And we're going to talk about what Lucan does next in this mind state, but first there's some ads. We're back so late nineteen seventy four, The Lucky Lord Lucan has grown obsessed with his need to rescue his children destroy his wife, all of which fits in with his Nazi gorilla beliefs about power and masculinity. So he starts telling Aspital. He tells his friends he's open about, Like They're like hanging out playing cards, and he's like, gonna kill my wife. Decided it gonna murder her. And they're all like, yeah, sounds like a good plan. Man, Like, Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There is some debate as to like whether they thought he was bullshitting or not. And to be fair, I do think it's not uncommon for these guys to joke about murdering their wives. Yeah, that's the kind of culture it is, right, Like, but.
Speaker 3: Also the culture is one where a guy owns multiple gorillas and leads them anything could be happening. I believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just saying I think I'm bringing this up not to like defend them, but more to say a lot of them talk about murdering women. He's not the only one, right, and there is evidence.
Speaker 3: Doesn't surprise me. There are a bunch of fucking ethno fascist freaks like that.
Speaker 2: We'll never know precisely, but Hearson's book makes a very strong case that like, not only is he joking about this, but they provide him with resources to carry out a murder. Right, and again, some of this is up. Obviously, these guys are not stupid enough to be completely open about what they're doing. But one of his friends loans him a car that he's going to like use as like his getaway vehicle to dump his wife's body after he murders her. One of them like he's broke, and he figures he needs ten thousand pounds sterling to bribe a guy with a boat to dispose of the corpse. Right, there's a couple of bribes and he'd be made right and Goldsmith, interestingly, James Goldsmith, being the smartest of them, doesn't want to get involved in this. He doesn't want to be directly tied to this murder. So he's like, I will give you ten thousand pounds to commit this murder, which means that he doesn't have to give the money to him because as a noble in the aristocracy, you can't take a gift, right, Luken can't be given ten thousand dollars. He has to be loaned it, so his their friends loan him the money. Right. This is actually Goldsmith's clever way to not get tied to this is by offering it as a gift, because then Lucan won't take it. I don't know, wild culture, but a tax dodge, what the yeah? So Luken gets a loan from other friends of his and he gets this car. There's some other tools he probably gets, and the plan he cooks up is like, I Am going to kill my wife, like bash her head in, throw her in like a sack, drive her to this boat, and then the boat will like weigh down the sack and toss her in the fucking ocean, right Like, that's that's the idea. Pearson describes this not as just his plot, but as a conspiracy involving other members of the Claremont Club. There's this anonymous financier who he calls mister X. I think because he's scared to bring this guy's name in that works as both a high end lege breaker for gamblers and is like involved an organized crime. This may have been ad non Koshogi. I think it's possible who is like this arms dealer, But it's that's not the only guy. It could have been a lot of other guys, right, There are a lot of guys involved in organized crime. Because Aspinall's a gambling maybn, right, obviously he knows dudes who are dangerous.
Speaker 3: For some randomly violent fellows.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the basic idea is that Luken's going to murder his wife. She's just going to disappear. No one's going to know there was a murder because the body.
Speaker 3: Will go the people he's discussed it with while gompling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, other than his gambling buddies. And then he'll live happily ever after with his children. Right, this is his plan to save type plan. Yeah. Perfect. Now, the only hole in this perfect plan is that Lord Lucan is a useless, rich kid who has never developed a skill in his life other than losing all of his money gambling.
Speaker 3: So he.
Speaker 2: Heads into his London home with this metal pipe wrapped in surgical tape, and he swings it at the first small, dark haired woman to come down the stairs. Unfortunately, well I'm not going to say unfortunately. This is all.
Speaker 3: Unfortunate, horrifying thing to do, just like even not. But then the slap, the weird like slap showed nature of him.
Speaker 1: He kills he killed some other lady, didn't he.
Speaker 2: He kills his maid, who people would say, yeah, yeah, it's one of those like she kind of had a casual resemblance to his wife. Right, so he doesn't even look. He swings, he shatters her skull and he kills her instantly, right, this very brutal, horrible, horrible thing. God. Now the lady Lucan is right behind her maid, and she comes down the stairs next, and this is from Pearson's book. When he heard Veronica, that's the Lady Lucan coming down the stairs from the sitting room to find out what was going on. He started attacking her as well, hitting her around the head as he had Sandra Rivet. Somehow she managed to slide down between his legs and grab his balls. The agonizing pain made him stop, and suddenly he seemed to come to his senses and realize too late what he was doing. This was not a gamble or a lethal fantasy. He had just battered to death his children's nanny and was now doing his best to do the same to their mother.
Speaker 1: That is so cool.
Speaker 4: It is pretty dope. And murr you got to give that woman is hardcore. Yeah, yeah, that is thinking on your face. This bitch good for you? Good for you?
Speaker 3: Honestly, also complete head on a swivel AWESO.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She grabbed them so tightly that he was like, WHOA, maybe I shouldn't murder plants.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This was the point at which Lucan did something that seems so incredible in the middle of a bloody murder that it actually becomes credible. He apologized to his intended victim. He did more. He sat in the back of down and found himself telling her that they must talk to try to work things out. Then, noticing blood was pouring down her face, he went to the bathroom to fetch a towel to help clean her up. This gave her the chance she needed to make a quick escape. Stumbling down the stairs, she got out onto the street and ran to the local pub, the Plumber's Arms, where she burst into the saloon bar screaming, help me, help me. Somebody's just murdered my nanny. Now Lucan escapes after.
Speaker 1: Somebody peers, you're defending that man.
Speaker 2: I'll get She has suffered a head injury. At this point, I don't know what was clear to her, like maybe it may have been a thing where like because she gets hit in the head, she's not immediately aware. She has to put it together. I'm gonna I'll give a lot of grace to someone who's just been hitting the head with the pipe and had to fight their way free, right, who knows what's going on.
Speaker 3: Well, so it's very funny that he was like, yo, one minute, let me get twet, me get a towel. It's this she kind of wait right here, I will not kill you.
Speaker 2: She grabs his balls and it resets him back to like politeness.
Speaker 3: The little getting like a pin reset device.
Speaker 2: It's wild. Yeah, Luken goes missing. He is still missing to this day. Right, he's been declared dead at this point. Obviously, nobody totally knows what happens to him, Right, it is generally agreed that he committed suicide. The kind of most common story is he takes a boat out to see and he drowns himself, because that's like the most romantic, aristocratic way of killing yourself, right, is to like throw yourself into the ocean. But we don't know that that's what happened. And Lord Aspinall's mother. She gets I think it's his mother or his wife. She's interviewed later and she kind of insinuates that like his friends got rid of him, that he was murdered by his friends because he might expose them. There's some suggestion that maybe he was fed to Aspinall's tigers. That might not boss.
Speaker 3: I would absolutely believe that, Yeah, I would definitely believe that he was just like, yeah, go with the tiger. I trained this tiger to protect from wives.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's it's unclear he could have killed himself. Pearson's attitude is that, like this was he was too much of like a weirdo narcissist to kill himself. I don't know if I think that's credible, but he does know more about Luken than I do. His his suggestion is that like Lucan, using these kind of like mister X and these other sort of overseas connections, Aspinall has Lucan gets spirited away to Switzerland, but because he's the most famous murderer in Europe, he can't. He has to be stuck in a house for the rest of his life, right, you can't let this guy out ever, And Lucan can't handle that. He still wants to get his kids back and like return to high society. He kind of convinces himself someone else killed his wife. And so Pearson's theory is that, like, well, once these guys who are hiding him realize that he's a danger to them, he's going to expose himself somehow, they murder him, right because they're like, well, this guy, we can't we have It's the only thing to do, you know. That's also perfectly possible.
Speaker 3: I My theory is he probably died in some sort of stupid way. It's not like it quite like a mystic being death.
Speaker 1: But friends, I hope was the tiger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe he's more likely he pissed off one of the multiple rich and violent and crazy gambling people and was like, ah my, I'm lucky lucun and then got killed by a guy in the street.
Speaker 2: Totally possible.
Speaker 3: He strikes me as the kind of guy who dies in a very boring and funny way. Yeah, like in a bar in Switzerland.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he just gets drunk with the wrong people now, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, but think about it. If he's this rich, racist, horrifying bigger who hates woman. The people he's going to associate himself with wherever he ends up are going to be equally shitty and unreliable. And also, yeah, someone probably fucking looked in the paper and went, hey, aren't you that famous murderer? Yeah who got like.
Speaker 2: A gay sacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fucking idiot. Because also, but also I would also fully believe that they all had him done in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally possible.
Speaker 3: Because his Lucan's whole thing. Even I'm thirty seven years old, so obviously the whole Lucan thing happened a lot longer before I was born. But it's it's interesting his legend is still around even though most people myself included until this podcast, did not know anything about how this happened. Yeah, yeah, yeah, which is not a great story for him. Yeah, yep, big, big no no on most of this stuff. Yep, the gorilla stuff sounds interesting though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the gorilla stuff's fine. So yeah. For his part, Lord Aspinall would never condemn his friend for murder. He talks to journals about that. He's like, I get why he did it. I think he was I think he was within his rights. You know, he did it for the good of his children. Aspiral's attitude is he was only trying to save his children from the worst fate imaginable being raised by a woman.
Speaker 1: Right wise, we established earlier in the pod women being people.
Speaker 2: Yeah now and the other so Lucan because he or Aspinall because he kind of goes broke in seventy four. In seventy six, he starts another gambling hall right which he makes another fortune in, and he sets up in the hallway these like busts of like famous gamblers from history, and one of them is a bust of his friend, the murderer, Lord Lucan, and like the initial inscription on it basically says he did it for his kids something else this guy. So after his friend's disappearance, Aspinall continues to devote most of his time to his zoo. He makes a couple more fortunes when we're talking millions, tens of millions each time, but then he loses them, often by like pampering his animals because it's just it's expensive to run zoos like this, they never make money. He does open a second zoo like a few years later, so he has two zoos that he's operating, and these become increasingly large and influential. Through the eighties and nineties, he grows obsessed with the idea that his zoo keepers like him can only do their job properly if they're getting if they're willing to get dangerously close to the animals, and this is a bad idea. In nineteen eighty he has two Siberian tigrises and they viciously maul and kill two zoo keepers in the same year, forcing him the only thing that's his attitude angry that he has to shoot these tigers to death because these zookeepers got murdered by them, which, to be fair, not the tiger's fault, but it is your fault, dude, Like you had them cuddling with them.
Speaker 3: I mean you also had tigers. Yeah, quote people in for.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, that's not the end of it. In nineteen eighty four, one of his zoo keepers is crushed to death by an Indian bowl elephant. In nineteen ninety four, the head zookeeper at Howlitz is massacred by yet another Siberian Tigersking guy.
Speaker 3: Went into the nineties with this shit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah. Right afterwards, another keeper, Damian Cockrell, is crushed to death by the elephant La Petite in its enclosure. So he is running through these guys very quickly. This is a deadly zoo. I'm going to quote from The Guardian again. In nineteen ninety six, Aspinall won a High court case to maintain the controversial practice of Keepler's keepers mingling with lions, even though in May of that year a boy was awarded one hundred and thirty two thousand pounds because his arm was ripped off by a chimpanzee. In nineteen eighty nine, this is again at one of Aspinall's facilities, and as irresponsible as all that is, he's still in some ways good at what he's doing because his second zoo, like his second zoo opens and yeah, both Howletts and his second zoo, port Lymphany, are renowned breeding centers. He produces seventy three captive bread gorillas and six black rhinos.
Speaker 3: People die, but the animals fuck.
Speaker 2: The animals fuck. Yeah, it's it's wild and like by the time, like kind of in the eighties, zoo professionals who had sort of who had rightfully been like this guy is a maniac started learning like taking his lessons, some of his lessons on raising animals, because he's got by this point eighty breeding species and he is hit. One of his projects in the Congo is the first to successfully introduce captive bread gorillas back into the wild. So it's this mix of like wild incompetent that gets people killed and also like this is the first program to get captive bread gorillas back into the wild. So I don't know what lesson you want to take from that. It's just a thing that happened. Yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: I think the lesson I'm taking from this is we need to learn a little bit about gorillas from this guy. Yeah, this guy to throw more people in front of gorillas just to see what happens.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a bummer. He doesn't die from like being eaten.
Speaker 3: Now, I thought that was where this was going. I thought he was going to get killed by like a domestic cat.
Speaker 2: It's it's it could it's literally the opposite of that. Because he does die of cancer in late June of two thousand. But his final regret in life is that cancer has made him too sick to like cuddle with his dangerous wild animals anyway. That's yeah, aspers, as his friends called him. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling, I'm feeling great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that Britain. I feel like Britain's freaks are just very different to America, and.
Speaker 2: This is a unique kind of freak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's only something that could be created by the horrors of the colonial empire. Not just like the obvious, repeated atrocities that to this day are visited upon the world as a result of the British Empire. It's also just the insane, repressive, violent nature of Britain in that hundred year period. I don't even think it's truly stopped, but we've just tamped down how violent and horrifying we are.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And what's insane is nothing happened to this guy now, nakedly corrupt, guy who led to the deaths of several people and by proxy one made Yeah, and he's fine. He died of cancer and his last thing was like, oh, yeah, I didn't get the cuddle with my animals as much as I wanted.
Speaker 2: I never got maimed one last time by a tiger.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't say I'm not going to let God kill me. My gorillas will do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll make my gorilla.
Speaker 3: You're really right there, like I refuse to let go like this, this giant silverback gorilla I've been breeding specifically to kill me when I get cancer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I will say. I'll say this for gorillas because I think it's important to push back on this myth sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, voice, the gorillas are going to fucking light us up in the comments.
Speaker 2: They are not the animals that kill people, right, because it's actually like a silver like gorillas, it's kind.
Speaker 3: Of hard to get human beings do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a be established to get take your mother in law. Yeah, and she'll depress the gorilla and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So I guess that's the lesson here. Everyone go get a silver backrilla. It's completely safe.
Speaker 3: It's totally fine. You will be fine. Yeah, by one today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have any pluggables for us?
Speaker 3: Said, just to find me at where's your head? Don't if you want to read some excellent tech journalism and if you want to hire a PR from easypr dot com.
Speaker 2: Yes, most excellent easypr dot com. Check out where's your ad at? And uh yeah, that's going to be it for us at Behind the Bastards This week. You can subscribe ad free to our shows at what is.
Speaker 1: It called Sophie Cooler Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do that all right, We're done bye.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.