Speaker 1: Hi everyone, It's Sophia. Welcome to Work in Progress. Hi friends, Welcome back to Work in Progress. This week, we are joined by a true multi hyphenete powerhouse artist who I have been a fan of forever. I'm talking since the early days of her comedy on NBC Chuck to Dexter to twenty four. She is just an absolute icon and has certainly taken the world by storm in The Handmaid's Tale. Ivanstrotowski is here today to talk about what it feels like to be finishing such a seminal series that has had such an incredible impact on culture, potentially unfortunately has been a bit predictive. We're going to talk about what it's like to balance working on something that is so heavy while also seeing it reflected in the world where she finds her joy. How she balances motherhood with being a star of a show of this size and also adapting a best selling novel and starring in an executive producing another series, Peacock's newest horror show called Teacup, which I watched in advance of this interview, and I can confirm it is both incredible and terrifying. I truly just can't wait to ask von how she manages to do it all, and what's up next for her. Let's dive in. Hello, Oh hi, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm cool? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm really well? Thanks? Where do I find you today?
Speaker 2: I'm in to our wolves look so similar, except I was just going to say classier than well mine is? My kids are I'm.
Speaker 1: Not so sweet? How are things in Toronto?
Speaker 2: They're good? Yeah, they're good. You know, it's a little weird being here right now post selection.
Speaker 1: I bet, yeah, I'm super complicated.
Speaker 2: That's a little weird. I remember this feeling. You know, I was here one other time when the same thing happened. Yeah, so its just I don't know, Yeah, it's it's it's just a little weird. It's a little weird being here on the show and playing the role I know. So yeah, but are we're finishing up you know, season six of the show, and that's it?
Speaker 1: What a trip?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, let's instead of sitting where we are, let's rewind. I Actually we always really like to ask people because you know, I sit opposite someone like you who is just like, I don't even know what word I want to pick first. Incredible, accomplished, brilliant, you're such an amazing performer. You've done all of these incredible projects that we love, and we all know you now, but I always like to kind of understand or poke and see if you got to hang out with your childhood self, Like if we went, you know, into the space time continuum and you got to meet eight year old Yvonne on the playground, would you see yourself and your career, Like would you see the through line in her? Or did life just take a left turn and you can't believe this is where you are?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, no that I would definitely see the through line. You know. I'm experiencing this with my six year old right now. He's like starting to do these Like I was the kid that was like, look at me, I'm going to heads, I'm going to win a weagh everyone at the dinner party so that someone will like watch me do stuff. And I'm seeing that in my eldest son. And you know, he wanted to get he wanted not a real guitar, like a play guitar for his birthday, and he got one. And now he's like running around the house kind of doing all these like he's just making up songs and it's very loud and very funny, and I'm just I'm looking at him like what you're saying, like the kid in the park, Like would I recognize that. I'm looking at him and thinking, oh my god, like that was me. That was that was what I used to do. And anyway, I don't know, obviously there's no way to know, you know, whether he's going to end up in the same space, but certainly, certainly at that age, or I mean probably a little bit later when I was about twelve, I kind of that was kind of when I was like, yeah, I need to be an actress. I just kind of had it in my head. Wo that was what I wanted to do, and I had been doing it probably since then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did that begin for you back in Australia? Were there like was there a local theater company or were there shows you were watching where you saw other kids and you thought, oh, I'm I'm going to do that.
Speaker 2: I you know, we grew in Australia or you know, at that time, we were very saturated with American TV shows and programming, and so I think there was you know, there was just some you know, like the crappy community hall down the road, was doing you know, acting classes, and my best friend and I signed up. We would just like it was like, you know, you play charades, you do drama games, yeah, and you're a kid in and where I just remember we would take over the class because we had this whole charade ship that we knew, like, you know, we know the answer in one one second as soon as one of us would do the thing. And so that's kind of where it started. And then and then I just sort of ended up in every school play or musical imaginable that I could get my hands on, to the point where I was I just didn't have time to do anything else. I just kind of wanted to be in everything and do everything. So it was kind of, I guess it was a very saturated natural progression kind of going from high school into you know with all the plays and stuff, and then going into university where I did, you know, the drama degree was very practical and theater based and whatever. And then I ended up starting a you know, a little theater company with a friend of mine from from drama school. So we would you know, she's her name's Anna, and she's finished, and she would have these finish plays that she liked from Finland, and we would adapt them to an Australian audience and them and produce them and cost them and do all this stuff. And then that didn't last very long because the next thing, you know, I ended up in the States. And that was when I was I was twenty four, and now it's been almost two decades wow, since that moment.
Speaker 1: So what was it that brought you to the US so quickly? I assume, you know, beginning of theater company is a pretty big undertaking. So was it something that you booked or was it someone who said you've got to come here and start getting on the scene and auditioning. What was the move like for you?
Speaker 2: It was it was totally random. I mean not totally random. I was you know, I was dating a guy at the time, and there was a bunch of Ossie actors who had this movie who had gotten into Tiff at the time, and they were all going and they were either we were at the pub one night and they were saying, you know, you should come with us, and you know, tried tried to get some meetings in America, and I remember, oh, you know, I had terrible skin at the time. I had really bad acne on my face, and I thought, oh, I don't know, like I probably, you know, I don't know if anyone's gonna, you know, want me there, but you know, okay, I'll give it a go. And so I went with them, and I remember having my Australian agent at the time pushed me to go. She said, you should, you should do this, and she had set me up with these five meetings. I got rejected from four out of the five agents and managers whoever I met with at the time, and the only people who wanted to work with me were these two women managers who I still work with to this day, and the rest.
Speaker 1: Are kicking themselves.
Speaker 2: Maybe but anyway. So yeah, So I remember that was like a two week trip and then I remember it was the end of two thousand and six. I came back home for Christmas, I got my tonsils out, and then I finished a small guest job role in Australia and I got back on a plane to do you know, pilot season at the time in two thousand and seven. Back then, we had you know that pilot season thing going. Yeah, but I was late to the pilot season because I was on this other job in Australia, and so I was auditioning like self taping before self taping was a thing, and I was sending over tapes, one of which was for the show Chuck on NBC. And so the day that I actually landed in the States was the day they saw my tape and the day they called and said we want her to test the next day at the network and the studio. And I didn't know what was going on. I had no clue how the business worked. I didn't know what a test was. I didn't know why I would be meeting all of the executives at NBC and Warner Brothers. And then literally I went and did this test and then I remember my you He's coming out shaking my hand at the network and saying, you know, congratulations, You've got the job, and I, you know, my head exploded, and then that was kind of it was. It was so quick, and so I just hadn't wrapped my head around any of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my gosh, it's so it really is so crazy, and I think people don't know the swiftness with which your whole life changes, Like you landed and then you had to stay here. I remember doing the callback for my test for One Tree Hill and I was in college and then suddenly they were like, you're moving to North Carolina in twelve days. And I had to call my university and be like, I'm not coming and tell my roommate I wasn't coming and she had to find a new roommate, and I was so stressed out for her. I was like, who are you going to live with? Like all of these things that now they seem so funny to me, but you're just there, you go figure it out, pack your staff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's exactly that, and the sort of like unprepared, You're unprepared, You're you're you're young, like I was so young, and I yeah. I literally remember pulling over on Bob Hope Drive in Burbank in my like really crappy rental car. I don't know how they rented out cars back then. There was like these like one rental company that all the Australians used to go to in Losienaga and we would, you know, get the cars. And I called my parents in Australia and told them I wasn't coming home at the time that I thought I was going to come on just I got a job and like what and I know, and I never went home. I was supposed to go back two months later, and then it was a year. It was a year to the day before I went back to my original ticket had expired. But yeah, I didn't know. I mean it was like I didn't know what a grocery store was called. I didn't know what its like. I just didn't know anything or anyone. And it was it was intense. It was an intense first few years, several for first few years.
Speaker 1: Well, and the show was so fun. What was it like for you? I imagine it's kind of a seesaw the culture shock and having to learn so quickly, but also, you know, in a way having your dream come true and being on you know, the show that's it's a big hit. It's hilarious, people love it. You know, could you enjoy it or was it just a total whirlwind the first season?
Speaker 2: I think it was everything it was, you know, it was a year without any any one that I was used to, you know, like you have all your best friends, and you have your parents or whoever like your loved ones, and then suddenly you're doing this thing and it's amazing and you get to you Yeah, you have you have this thing in front of you that you've always wanted. But at the same time, it's you know that there's a sacrifice that comes with that. Yeah, And I think just the culture shock also was a big thing for me at the time. You know, it's I know, you know obviously, I mean, I'm born in Australia. We speak the same English language here and there, but we don't because culturally things are really different. And it was just a matter of sort of getting used to that and trying to find friends and connect with people. And when you're young, or when you're that I mean, I'm not sure if there was any twenty four year old to like super and know who they are and you know you and you can you have good judgment of character or whatever, but you know, it's a process and when you're that young, so and it was a real process. I remember feeling like it was probably a good like for the whole run of the show. The show ran for five years, and I remember feeling like it took me the whole time and beyond to really like truly sort of start to find like my people and have true connections that felt like they were going to last for a while. And I think also primarily because back then, you know, when you're on a network show, you're working the craziest hours. And that was I think that was the biggest shock, is just how many hours we would spend there and work way into Saturday morning, yeah, and kind of get up on Monday at the same time that you had gone to bed on Saturday. Yeah, for nine months out of a year. And it was like, you know, it's just a lot. It was a lot, but there's just so many of the feelings. There's so many things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now a word from our sponsors who make this show possible. I talked about this with a friend of mine recently because I realized that, you know, from the time I didn't go to my senior year in college to the first time I'd come home for any real amount of time, it had been almost fifteen years of being on location.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I said, you know, in the one sense, I cherish being able to do this job that I love, and on the other it's really hard to constantly be the person who has to play catch up with everyone in your life because nobody's awake at four am when you're going to work and most people aren't awake at eleven pm. When you're going home and you do, you just sort of disappear and you're grateful, but there's a there's a loss, and there's a grieving that comes with it that I think nobody's really wanted to hear about, because there's this notion of like, well, you're so privileged and you're so lucky, and it's not that those things aren't true. It's just that there's this other side of the coin that has been unacknowledged for so long. And it isn't lost on me that you got settled here and you know, you worked on this job here having to move and then you know, I think about you having to go to Canada to do Handmaids and like, again, you had to move. Was it a weird readjust or did you did you sort of feel like you were more practiced as a person having to pick up and leave and get settled in a whole new place again.
Speaker 2: This feels like it's been my life the entire time that I've been here in the States. It's been like an ongoing moving around, you know, from you know, shooting something in New Orleans at one point to you know, Broadway, New York, shooting this other thing Vancouver, and you know, and it usually and if it's a show, you know you're in You're in the place for you know, five six months I think there. I mean, we used to shoot a lot more stuff in LA. That was when I did Chuck, my first gig. And then also I think did I did Dexter in l A. But other than that, I'm pretty sure just about everything else has been not in LA. So I'm well well adjusted to like doing this whole travel thing. The only difference now is that I have three kids. So I'm at this point i think in my life slash career where I'm trying to figure out how long this can go on for because because I'm getting into the into the age range with my eldest. He's in grade one here, so his first Grade one experience is Canada. Yeah, it's not home where we live. And and he because and because he and like my all my kids have been with me and we sort of travel as a family, you know, it all together. And all three of them as babies have come to work with me. They come to the trailer, you know, so I can be nursing were they're really used to the changing of locations, and they understand that our family is also spread apart, because you know, family in Australia, Poland, America, it's a whole thing, and so they kind of get get it. But I do know that there will come a point with my eldest first, I'm sure where you know, he's not going to want to do that anymore. He's gonna want to stay, gonna want to have his friends, and it's going to be a readjust. So it's very much on my on my mind. Now you know, this whole gypsy life that I've been doing for almost two decades is you know, there's going to be a readjust And yeah, it's ever changing.
Speaker 1: It's wild, and there's that personal side of it. And then I guess I'm I'm so curious about the sort of individual personal to professional because not to you know, we're all exhausted by it. I don't want to get in the weeds of politics, but it's not lost on me. Also, what you had said that the bookend of Handmaids is the beginning and this last season are occurring at very odd times politically, what is sort of the most challenging part for you about playing a character like Serena Joy, which was going to be my question anyway. And then I guess I wonder how you're navigating the sort of intersection of your work as a performer as it relates to the larger landscape of the world. Does it make it harder in a way to leave work at work, or does it make the work feel more important than ever? Or maybe it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know, back when I first started the job, I never imagined how significant the show would become in the political space, nor did I ever consider myself to be politically articulate in any way, shape or form. But you know, it's it goes hand in hand. I mean, the show and the and the politics and what it represents. I mean, it's unavoidable. I never imagined, you know, what I would I didn't understand the scope of the character either or what it would go, you know, beyond the book, what we've done with Serena, what the writers of Britain, what I've you know, the places I've gone to in these scenes. I remember feeling super uncomfortable with a lot of it at the beginning. Obviously, the ceremony scenes were probably the hardest, and I felt and it felt icky, and then you know, and then I got used to it, and we you know, we have you know, work is like any other kind of a fun workplace. We go, we tell jokes, it's light, it's not you know, it's not a serious set outside of what we're doing between action and cot and and then you know, and I started to really enjoy what this character and I mean, what was on offer in terms of the scenes and what I've been able to do just as a performer, and how amazing. You know, these scenes just push you to the limits of all the gray areas of humanity and sort of trying to justify how this woman operates and whatever. And obviously she's kind of like, you know, over here, like this weird best friend but not best friend in my life. And and then, you know, the other day, I just didn't want to be in her shoes anymore. I just remember thinking, God, it was such a hard day. I just didn't want to be the person representing her anymore, even though I am and I will and I do it proudly, I do it with you know, because she's in a way, she's kind of like you know, one of my creative babies, and I am excited to see this through to the end because of what you know it all represents and stuff. But it's I was like thrown back into that first season and then some kind of just like thinking, who it was a hard day to sort of get it together. It was probably the first and only time in the last twenty years that I've come to set and not been able to get through a rehearsal or a blocking and just was just going through all the things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's the thing. These containers are reflective of the human experience. And I think the most incredible thing about film or television is it can create a container for conversation or catharsis or learning, and it's a it's a big container to be in in the present moment. And you know, when I think about the the dystopian world that at would created in The Handmaid's Tale and this conversation about you know, women and our bodies being the property and objects of men, I think there was a time where we thought, oh, we've passed that, and then we've we've been dragged back, kicking and screaming, and suddenly this dystopian tail feels like a reality. And I don't know. I wish I could give you a hug, Like, how are you not supposed to have a terrible day when that? I don't know if the word is like comes to roost or what, But I can't imagine how you could not have at least a day like that at work dealing with this as a woman and a mother, and it's a lot, it's a lot to carry. How are you taking care of yourself in the midst of it? Like not to be a you know, to sound like a wellness girly, but I'm like, what is your self care routine? Are you okay? Can I send you cookies? Like? What's going on?
Speaker 2: I don't think there is. I mean, I don't really have what self care routine? Oh my god, I have no time for that. But I know it was one of those days where I just thought, I mean, I just was like, I am going to give myself permission to just be messy today because I show up at work every day, you know, and I do my thing, and I've been doing this for so long. I'm going to have one one messy day out of the twenty years that I've been doing this. And I just sort of, I mean, I think that was the self care is just to allow for that to happen. And you know, we have women, a lot of women on set, and that was also part of it. I think everyone was deep deep funk. And I know we had a couple of people come to sit that weren't even working that day just because we had to. We just had to you know, sit around and chat and you know, cry and do all the things we needed to do. You know. Interestingly, I have my my whole family lives in Poland except for my parents, and they just had went through a similar kind of a thing about a year ago. It's my twenty two year old cousin is living with us right now, helping me with my kids, and she was she came to work with me, and they're they're living that right now, you know, the women's rights. Ah, they're living it and and and it's just it's kind of interesting having her here because you know, they're they're already in that space and we are sort of I think, well, God knows what's going to happen. We can all imagine, but yeah, it's yeah, it's just a bit, it's it feels icky and I don't know. I was sort of in a conversation also the other day about someone who was trying to sort of stay positive and have hope, and although I do have hope and for various reasons whatever, but I wasn't ready for that conversation either.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, you're like, give me a beat, okay, because I would imagine it was Again, I don't want to project, but I just empathetically, I imagine it was tough to do season five knowing it was coming out after the fall of.
Speaker 1: Row and now season six is your final season and we're we're back here. Does it does it feel sort of sad as a performer to say, oh, I wish this shadow wasn't over this last moment with this wonderful group of people I work with, or does it kind of make you feel relieved that you're almost done having to be in the world of this, you know, cinematic universe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, to be honest, I do I feel relieved that we're almost done. But I'm also I'm also sort of in awe and just I cannot believe how aligned this show has been just over the course of its time. It's it's as if the writers have had a magical crystal ball, but they haven't obviously, but it is insane how they will write stuff and then that very thing will become very prominent in the news or something, you know, various things, and it's just been really wild to what it's it's I mean, it's kind of like it was meant to be if you believe in you know, based and destiny and the universe sort of providing a platform of sorts. But it does really feel that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, if your writers have the crystal ball or their pen is weirdly predictive, can they write us a really heroic ending class and thank you? Yeah, and now a word from our sponsors. Well, aside from all of this, how do you feel like the show has you know, impacted the trajectory of your career? Has it been an incredible place just to learn and glean? I mean, I think about the folks you work with and the writers, and you know, even to be with Bradley Whitford and his you know, incredible sort of iconic career. It appears that in every direction there's amazing teammates for you and now you know you're starring in and executive producing Teacup on Peacock, which, by the way, it's terrifying. I watched the first episode. I was like, I don't do horror for a reason. And here I am, and I am a fan of yours, and We're gonna do this interview and I'm gonna watch the thing, and I was like, I'm have nightmares. The suspense in the show is so good, and the and the dynamics between these characters feel so rich and real. You know, has working on a show like Handmaids influenced the way you you run your sets?
Speaker 2: Now? Yeah? I definitely. You know, Handmaids was sort of I think where I was inspired you. So many of my costmates, if not all of them, do things other than just act, you know, like Ot did, made his you know, made a television show. He wrote it, he was in it, he directed it, sold it to Hulu. You know, Max is directing. I mean, there's just a bunch of we have such an amazing group, and I I remember thinking, Wow, this is really inspiring. And alongside sort of this movement, if we should call it that that has finally started to celebrate women in this space and female cinematographers and female directors and it feels like we're finally sort of going and exploring this area and seeing other actresses who I don't even know, but seeing them sort of go and do other things and direct and take charge of they're greater creative dreams. And so, you know, looking at all of that and what I used to do back in the day in Australia with my own little theater company, and you know how creative that was, I just thought, Wow, I really I need to do that too. And so it was during the pandemic really when we were here in Toronto shooting Handmaids, that I thought, you know, I'm going to start planning all these seas to to branch out and start getting into this creative process, which led me into you know, optioning a book called a Woman of Intelligence, which you know, that's going to be another project that I'm that I'll ep that I'm in development for right now, and teacup and even just last year waking up in the middle of the night and and sort of deciding I'm going to do a short film and I'm going to film in three weeks and just you know, writing that, directing it, and just getting into that space of creativity has been really rewarding, and it's it is really inspiring to see people doing that all around and being really good at it.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. Can you tell the folks at home what Teacup is about?
Speaker 2: Well, Teacup is a horror, much more horror than I originally thought it was going to be a series about. Well. I play a woman called Maggie, Maggie channaw With and she has a husband and two kids, and they live on a farm in Georgia, and they are, you know, a regular ordinary family until weird stuff starts happening on the farm and they end up sort of getting contained to the farm by this. I guess you could call it a force of some kind that they cannot explain. And so the show sort of follows the characters trying to figure out what is going on, and it gets pretty gruesome at point at some points with a pretty banging ending. And my favorite element of the show, and what got me interested in the first place, is the sort of the family relationships and the character part of it, because I love the fact that you know, Scott Speedman plays my husband James, and straight in the pilot you understand that you know he's had an affair. He's done something bad, and they're already at odds with each other and they're hiding it from the kids, and there's a great amount of tension just kind of going into it already emotionally, which is really fun as a performer to sort of start there. Yeah, and then the rest of it unfolds.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's really exciting. In the pilot, that first scene with you and the actress who plays his mom, I just thought, God, this is so well written because the audience hasn't had it explained what he's done, but you have a hunch and you don't talk about it. You just say it's not you that I'm mad at, or whatever that version of the line is. And I was like, Oh, it's just so it's so good and smart because it lets us, it lets us begin solving a mystery right away before we even know what the mystery of the show is. You know, there's a mystery in the house, and it's just very, very exciting, and it's really fun to see your your touch on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it sets the scene for sure for this distrust that ends up occurring, like in spades because of the horror element, but we already have this emotional element. I mean, I just I really love the character act. I mean, all episodes are now up and available, but I still I'm not going to do any spoilers because that but certainly there the journey of the character at the end, just going back into like her relationship with her husband and what that means and what she has to do in the end, there's a lot of sort of tough decisions that she makes and she sort of ends up becoming this warrior woman. And it was and it was super fun, like the last two episodes, just in terms of an emotional challenge and what we had to do through was was really exciting for me. And certainly handmade sets of really high bar when it comes to emotional drama. So this was this was really really meeting the mark.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, yeah, what feels really important to you? What's sort of the central force when you're choosing the projects that you want to work on. Do you gravitate towards certain types of stories and roles or is the goal to always have each feel completely different than the last.
Speaker 2: I do like everything to feel different, for sure, But I think if I had to pick one thing that was the main thing, it would be some kind of weird, complex emotional journey that is kind of left of center. I just I find it, really I find humanity fascinating. I find psychology fascinating. I find the gray area fascinating. Like all the things that like I'm I'm the girl that's there, the debrief that goes to four o'clock in the morning with you know whoever who is up for that, and just like touching on every aspect of whatever the conversation is about, and debriefing until you know there's nothing left a debrief about. I love that stuff. I just find it absolutely fascinating. And how we operate as humans and what influences us each individually to behave a certain way or to react in certain ways to others and circumstances that make us react in to I just think it's absolutely fascinating. So when you get a character, I mean someone like Serena Joy, I mean that's like intense and amazing or even you know, I did this thing once called Stateless about a woman who ended up in a detention center who it is just like fast, she was so fascinating and complex. And then or a character facing intensely complex decisions like Maggie and Teacup. I just that's sort of probably the biggest, the biggest thing that I look for. But having said that, I also would really love to do something funny me too, just because you know, maybe I need to be done a little bit with like that kind of stuff. So you know, maybe maybe the next thing is just something just totally random and bar fetched in the other direction.
Speaker 1: Sign me up. I think we all could use a little bit of humor at the moment. Yes, for sure, What where does a woman of intelligence fall? Is it also quite serious? Can you give us a little overview of what it's like to adapt a novel and dig into something like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's definitely a drama for sure. But having said that, the woman, I mean, it's about this amazing woman who's a mother of two young children and she loves being she loves her kids, but she's not the best at being a mom. And it's set in I mean, this is interesting because it's set in fifties New York when it was rare that women worked. But our main character actually is she speaks many languages and she works for the United Nations, and so she has this job, and she meets this guy, and the guy wants to celebrate her for everything she has and tells her that if we have kids, sure you're going to keep working and you can have your life and you know, be fabulous and whatever. And then that doesn't happen, and so and so she feels changed to this home with these two young children. He's a pediatric surgeon, so he insists that she stay home and nurse them untill they're seventy five and all the things, and she ends up getting approached by the FBI to work for them and spy on her old flame from college who is our KGB. So there's all these sort of tie ins. I feel like, just in terms of what I loved about it, aside from the fact that it's an incredibly dense, rich novel filled with amazing storylines and characters, but it's the themes about women and what it meant back then to be a woman, and how you had to present yourself as a mother, you know, as a daughter in law, a working woman, which was where at the time, you know, all the things. I love all of that in the parallels to now, as well as the political landscape of that time period and how it reflects back to us in the now. So, yeah, that's sort of where that that is or I guess I just told you the whole storyline of that, not that you asked.
Speaker 1: It's really exciting. And when do we get to see it?
Speaker 2: As early days we're very much like sort of in development right now writing scripts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't wait. Yeah, that sounds like an absolute dream. And you know so many of these women, regardless of timeline, are not only dealing with their individual identities, but as you've said, they're shaped by motherhood in one way or another. What is it sort of like for you? I mean, you've got three young boys. All their work is you know, behind you on the wall right now we're seeing obviously cars is big in your house too. How you mentioned earlier that you understand, you know, you're sort of prepping for when being mobile in the way our jobs require is not necessarily going to be as easy. How do you navigate it? And yes, I know the irony that the men never get asked this question, but I am always quite fascinated by the women that I know who do all of it. You know you're wearing every hat. How how have you integrated this into your career at large.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the million dollar question, isn't it?
Speaker 1: No pressure?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know if I'm I mean, I'm super honest. There's not a day that goes by where I'm not really actively wondering how on earth am I going to do this? And somehow I'm doing it. But I'm also every day wandering, gosh, what are we going to I'm already you know. The other yesterday, I me and my husband were having a conversation of like, well, what are we doing after Canada? Are we going home? Are we We don't know yet what where we're going based on my work, and so it's just kind of I don't it's a massive it's a massive juggle. I don't know that I have it figured out sort of in theory. I don't know that I've ever to explain it. I just know that it's working. I don't think it for sure wouldn't be possible without my extraordinary husband, who is at home with the kids when I'm at work. And so that's I mean, we kind of have a traditional role of all Darren, you know, so I'm the one that goes to work and he stays but I you know, if I if I could be one hundred percent stay at home mom, that's that's sort of my goal. I want to feel like I'm one hundred percent a stay at home mom, so I'm present with my kids because it's so important to me to create the time. But I also I also love what I do, and I and I want to do what I do, and I support my family, and so I have to balance it. I think the only way that right now, and how I've been justifying that is that it's sort of fifty fifty. So for the times where I'm intensely at work, there's an equal amount of time where I haven't been at work, and I have been that version of the stay at home mom one hundred percent of the time that I want to be as well. And it's just it's one of those things that you can't map out. It's because of how crazy actors' schedules are and how crazy it is that you know you're supposed to be here, there, everywhere, and there's only one of you. How we balance it is it's just kind of a case by case on a day to day thing, you know, and a lot of it comes down to just my partner and I how we juggle it together and how we sort of hand you know, past the baton on each time and givvy it up. So yeah, it's I remember being fascinated by this too with other actresses before I had kids. I remember when I did Stateless with Kate Blanchett, and I know she has a bunch of kids, and I remember asking her like, how on earth do you do this? Because I didn't understand it either, And lo and behold, I found myself in a similar with three. I mean, she has four, I think kids by three, and I never thought I would have that many kids even, you know, And it's this struggle, but yeah, it's an ongoing thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now a word from our wonderful sponsors. But I think what's really amazing is that people are talking to each other about it. And you know, I don't think it's taboo to say I love my job and I don't want to give it up, and I love my family and I want to be with them as much as I can. And that requires sacrifice in both directions, and it requires a full village. Like that's reality. And I think the more we can kind of let each other in on it instead of like keep it a secret like inside Baseball, the better, you know. A friend of mine said to me, She was like, yeah, you can have it all, you just can't have it all at the same time. Yeah, and I thought, you know what, it's the simplest way I've ever heard anybody talk about it. And then you just made me feel a lot better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, kind of amazing. Yeah, I mean, yeah, it's it's about prioritizing and really kind of I don't know. I don't even know. I don't know. I don't know how to answer that. What is the best I'm just trying to make it work. I'm like everybody else. I'm just trying to make it work. I don't have the answers.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: It's like you guys got to do it.
Speaker 1: You just have to do what he's just doing the best way I can.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you're on this precipice of so many exciting things, you know, the bittersweetness of a project that's about to wrap after six seasons, the new show is out, You're developing this book that sounds absolutely amazing. You know, the kiddos are flourishing. It's a I would imagine it can feel really exciting to look forward, despite who knows what it means. Where do you go, where do you move? What feels like the work in progress for you as you kind of look out at what's to come over the next year, the work in progress.
Speaker 2: I think it's really allowing myself the thoughtful time and space to create, like the next two decades, you know, create it whatever, like make it so that it's how I truly really want to to be. So it's not it's not like other people telling me I should do something, or you know, being heavily influenced whatever. I just feel like there's I've come to a point in my life, probably when I turned forty, where I realized I probably sort of got to know myself the most that I've ever gotten to know myself in a really huge way. And I think kind of looking back at the last twenty years and realizing that perhaps some of those career decisions or even life decisions on a personal level, weren't my own own, that they were navigated maybe not necessarily by me and solely me. I think the next two decades I would like for it to be a different kind of a journey where I'm really focusing on what I want, what I prioritize, and also what brings me joy. I've just kind of like worked my ass off, which is great. Here I am in this amazing moment, ending an amazing TV show and starting all this other stuff. I don't think I would have got here without working my ass off. But I also I don't want to work my ass off anymore. In that same way, I want to do it for things that I don't know that are that are really special and meaningful that kind of take me back to my roots. I just feel like I'm sort of entering this space where I want to honor honor where I came from in a weird way. And I'm not even sure if I'm articulating this in the best way, but just that old version of me that used to create and had the theater company and made all the things, and kind of get back into that version of myself married to the discoveries that I've made where I've landed now in my forties and kind of go from there and create that space.
Speaker 1: I love that. I think it's wonderful and I I don't know every woman that I speak to lately who's kind of in our you know, peer group who's at this stage feels that like, oh, I want it's like a sharper focus that's deeper and yeah, and and more more in one's own control. And I think that's really beautiful. Yes, definitely more, really exciting. Yes, And I can't wait to see what's next. I can't wait just to watch everything. I'm gonna have to keep watching this show now because it's very good. Even the horror and I don't get along, so I agree with you have to talk about it, and hopefully we'll find a comedy to do so.
Speaker 2: Hopefully. I'm not I'm in a groom with I'm not a horror person anymore. I used to be, but I'm not. I'm not a horror person and I've ended up in a horror show. Yeh. But yeah, it's yeah, it's it's a fun one.
Speaker 1: It's definitely really it's really very good. Thank you so much for coming on today.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for having me. This was really fun.
Speaker 1: It's lovely