Speaker 1: Cut over that DJ Moore and Soode touchdown touchdown pairs.
Speaker 2: I am Jeff joniaclitz Is on Dottie go up. What was like playing for Cochi Gooddom.
Speaker 1: I don't want to answer any questions like that pressure coming is a big trouble Dotie Go Motest.
Speaker 3: Sweaty Bears, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Brought to you by Miller Light with the voices of the Bears, Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 2: Well the highlights of training camp.
Speaker 1: We'll kick off on Thursday the dropping of this episode of the Bears et Cetera podcast, version number eighty five for eighty five Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer. The Cincinnati Bengals joined the party as the Bears wrap up the fan portion of training camp and get ready to meet the Bengals Saturday at Soldier Field. Welcome every one. I'm Jeff Joniac and our Bears, etcetera. Podcast is brought to you by Miller Light. Obviously we're taking this before the practice, Tom, but the fact that the Bengals are flying in for this one practice. We always look forward to these joint practice sessions, whether it could be a factor, and that'll be a big part of this whole thing, obviously, but it's great to see another team here to take on the Bears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, just continue the process of production that the Bears have had day in and day out of training camp. I really do think there was not a day that there was a setback. I think they got something accomplished every single day. And you know me, Jeff, I'm not in really favor of having no pads, but even when they were in no pads, they got something accomplished, whether it was mentally the speed of the game or just kind of carrying some mistakes or mishaps that have happened. So I'm not walking away from this training camp with my head down thinking, Wow, you know this team needs to get a lot better. No, they just need to continue the process of improvement.
Speaker 1: Taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, ninety six calories and three point two carbs for twelve ounces has practice rolled on this week Time the return in pads of Rochean Johnson, Kyler, Gordon Tyreek, Stevenson, Nate Davis, Montes, Sweat, and Terrell Smith in some cases limited, but back in pads and getting back out there doing football things. After several weeks for Gordon, I still have not seen the return of Jakwan Brisker just yet. Bates is out conin Johnson, Noah Sua, DeAndre Carter's still working their way back. But things are headed in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, it's encouraging. I love seeing Montese sweat out there. I like watching them during one on ones because the one thing about Montest Sweat when you put him on eleven on eleven, you can see the type of player he is and how he compliments the other guys on the defensive line at the linebacker position. But when you put him in a one on one scenario, when you know exactly what the drill is and what you're trying to do, that's when he really shines. He's a good football player, he's a good athlete. He's a big guy, and he really allows the Darnell Rights of the Worldarry Borhams and the different guys he goes against do I prove at their skills as well.
Speaker 4: So it's encouraging.
Speaker 3: But then you know, you talk about Jakwan Brisker not being on the practice field, but Elijah Hicks is doing well he's a guy that's getting fed some reps.
Speaker 4: Like we saw last year when there is.
Speaker 3: Injuries in the defensive backfield, of these guys that are stepping up and they're playing with the first team defense, and it doesn't look like there's a hole in the defense. So the guys that are filling in for these guys that you mentioned are injured, they're expected to play at the same level.
Speaker 1: iFIT even talking about Jonathan Owens. John Owens played a physical game against the Buffalo Bills. He's threw his body around with a reckless abandon out there as he returned from France after Simon Bios captured three gold medals. He's ready to play football too, and he really had a couple of good seasons back to back, one in Houston one with the Green Bay Packers. So I'm interested to see him in a role for the Bears as well as special teams.
Speaker 3: So am I I'm excited now after I seen him come and deliver some hits during the game. I'm excited when he gets an expanded opportunity to play in some regular defense, but I think on special teams he can kind of He's come in with the reputation of being a quality special teams player, and I don't think it's going to disappoint anybody.
Speaker 1: I want to talk something about defense and Austin Booker, Tom and for that matter, Daniel Hardy. We'll hear him on Bears Weekly on Thursday night as well after an interview with him. They both had terrific games against Buffalo and Eric Washington, the defensive coordinator, went in detail the other day about Booker.
Speaker 2: That he never gave up on his rushes.
Speaker 1: He says that he's pleased with his approach physical with his rushers and that innate feel that you keep referring to about Booker, he sees it and he said this, and from an offensive lineman's perspective, I'd like your reaction to this, he said. Good rushers are hard to hit and stall. They go at it max speed with their counter and when they engage their hands, they don't slow down and allow that protection to catch up.
Speaker 2: To the rusher.
Speaker 1: You, as an offensive lineman, can really feel and see what he's trying to say there.
Speaker 2: Do you see that with this rusher?
Speaker 1: And Austin Booker, who played less than five hundred snaps in his college career, So this is innate. He doesn't have a ton of experience. He's only twenty one years old.
Speaker 3: Right, the word in ac So I want to say something and I and it's not disrespectful because I talked about when you have a guy like Montes Swet going through one on ones, he makes the offensive player better, but he also shows the skills, the size, and the strength that he has. Austin Booker is a better game player than he is a one on one player. And I mean that respectfully because, like I said, when the opponent knows exactly what you're doing, he's going to be able to guard everything against what he doesn't want to give up. Okay, I'm not going to give him the inside. If he goes to an outside move, I'm going to try to push him outside.
Speaker 4: So much that he can't get into the path of the quarterback.
Speaker 3: It's a down in distance and you're playing regular offense against Austin Booker, he's more effective. That's just what I've seen in the early stages of Austin Booker's career. And again, I'm not saying this disrespectfully. I'm saying it respectfully. And it's kind of what Eric is saying that when you just allow Austin Booker to go there and play football. He's a football player. He's not trying to follow a script of step one two, slap right, slap left. It's okay, forced off the line of scrimmage, get the offensive lineman off, bounce, slap his hands immediately, and then I'm in the path with the quarterback. So I'm really excited to watch Austin Booker in the games, probably more than I'm excited to see him in one on ones.
Speaker 2: And one on ones you're talking about practice, correct, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Correct, just one on ones and when okay, you tell the offensive tackle it's on two, So then he's going through a cadence and or the offensive tackle knows that he's doing a pass blocking responsibility and Austin Booker is rushing the passer. When you have a whole different scheme and it's eleven on eleven in a game type scenario, that's when you see the innate ability of Austin Booker to do exactly what we think he's capable of doing.
Speaker 1: And I see similar traits in Daniel Hardy. Now he is a shorter prospect, he's got leverage on guys that are against the Bengals crying now a loud. These guys that tackle are six to eight across the board, and the depth chart says so with the guys behind them. But he has not had a lot of football in his career. He did not play until senior year of high school. He was a basketball player. But he's been dedicated to the weight room. He's up to two hundred and forty pounds. He ran a four to six forty out of Montana State coming into the league drafted by the LA Rams. He's flashing a lot of movement skills and things he's bankrolled here in the year plus he's been with the Bears without virtue of a training camp. Last year with the Bears, he was on the practice squad all year. He got activated for one game against Kansas City. But I think we're just starting to see some of the new things that he can bring to the table.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent right. I agree with you.
Speaker 3: He's an interesting character because you know, the more reps that Daniel Harding can get on the field, the more that he sees run and pass, the more familiar he's going to become with the position of defensive end defensive line. And he could probably play a three technique defensive tackle. And you know, Daniel Harding, he's played an effective role on the defensive line no matter if he plays with the ones, the twos, or the three since he's been here. But now you put him in a game and you give him extended amount of snaps and he starts showing that he can be a pass rusher. But in order to be a pass rusher, you have to learn how to play the run first. And that's what I like he's complimenting himself in his maturation process of all the responsibilities of a defensive lineman.
Speaker 1: All right, I want you to answer this as an offensive lineman. I'm going to go back to Washington. So, when a guy coming at you at max speed and he's doing all his handwork and nothing slowing him down, do you have to have the ability as an offensive lineman to catch up to the rusher? And if you're not, I'm sure it's your feet and your hands are not tied together.
Speaker 2: Is that what he's referring to.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, first of my first responsibility as an offensive lineman, Jeff, is get my hands into your chest to make sure I slow down or stalemate or get in control of your upper body. If there's a separation between us and you're already hand fighting against my hands that are reached out, you're in control of me. You're in control of my balance, your control of my inability to get my hands to you, and you're in control of your positioning on your next step. So that's the thing why I always say the snapcount is a weapon. If I know the snapcount, and I know that I should be able to get up out of my stance and give you enough of a punch where I put you gets you off balance, or I put me in a winning position that I should win the rush. And you have these you know Dan Hampton, for example, he's got really long arms, and Dan Hampton is a guy that rushes with straight arms. If he's rushing with straight arms, there's no way I can get my hands to his body because his arms are longer than mine. And you see these guys that have clever skill, like Austin Booker that his feet matt his feet matches hands. Now he's in control of the offensive lineman and he's controlling their balance. And that's the worst thing an offensive lineman can have is when that defender is controlling his balance.
Speaker 1: Well, brought to you by a PNC official Bank of the Bears. I happen to see some nineteen sixty nine Minnesota Vikings videotape about it was a story about the NFL, and it was actually it was voiced over by Charlton Heston, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: It was a great video. I just watched it the other night.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if somebody posted it on X and I watched the whole thing.
Speaker 2: It was fascinating. No, I take that back. It was Burt.
Speaker 1: Lancaster, Bert Lancaster. Anyway, The head slap okay outlawed, But Jim, Jim Marshall, Alan Page, Carl Eller, those guys were unbelievably Deacon Jones of course, but Jim Marshall the head slap, and I'm watching this, you know, you forget what's been outlawed and the impact. Did you play in an era where the head slap was still legal?
Speaker 3: When I played in the USFL, they allowed it. When I played in the NFL they didn't allow But I take this into consideration, Jeff, because our Hall of Fame coach Dick Stanfeld used to talk about it all the time. So offensive lineman at that point they used to have to block with their fists up against their chest.
Speaker 4: And now you.
Speaker 3: Think real distance, yes, then you think about the distance how defensive lineman could get to you as you are trying to block them like this. Now they're coming and they're head slapping you and getting and they you know, they're in control of your balance. And Dick Stanfold used to say about a guy like Bob Lilly, who's one of the greatest defensive linemen in the history of the National Football League. He goes, I didn't care if Bob Lily was head slapping me as long as he wasn't going around me. So I just stood there and held my ground and widened out with my elbows. And then they converted and allowed the offensive linemen to start start extending their arms with their hands open. And that kind that took that took away the distance that didn't allow the head slap to happen as much as it did when they couldn't extend their arms.
Speaker 1: So you mean to tell me so for those who don't know the you know, they remember the electric football games and the and the little player. The players did have their their fists against their chest. I mean, that's how you're supposed to play football. I can't imagine playing football without your hands, I mean either. I mean, man, what are we talking about?
Speaker 3: In my whole life, as from Pop Warner to high school to college, they allowed you to extend under your arms and you know, and open with an open hand, be able to strike. And that's what we're talking about the pass protection responsibilities nowadays. When you look at an offensive tackle going against Austin Booker, Montes Sweat, they want to come out of the stance and they want to pop you in the chest. And as soon as they can pop you in the chest and create that stalemate or they can be in control of their next move, then the offensive tackle has created the winning edge. And that's why you always see what is the arsenal of moves for talented defensive ends and pass rushing.
Speaker 1: All right, let's sit down with a pass blocker, the veteran left tackle Braxton Jones, our special guest this week on Bears et cetera. All right, Braxton, how you doing, my man? Can you believe how much time has passed already? I mean, we just remember you when you were a rook Now you're a vet.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent. I mean, it definitely flies by, but I think, you know, it's it's been a great opportunity to get the amount of experience that I've gotten every rep and you know, every year is just it's just been great going through adversity, injuries and everything. But yeah, we're here, and uh it feels it feels great.
Speaker 1: If I can't do you ever because I do this all the time, maybe maybe you don't you think about you think back to where you did begin. Yeah, you kind of take stock of like how far you've come.
Speaker 4: Do you ever do that?
Speaker 5: Uh? I mean I definitely do that, uh frequently. It definitely pops up every once in a while, but try not to, you know, do it too much. But when when it does happen, it's a it's a good moment. I mean, it's definitely like, you know, it's been a long journey journey from you know, a little league from from it all and then you know, getting drafted by the Bears. It's just it's just been an amazing situation going to a small school everything like that, and then you know, maybe not having as much expectations coming out and starting. So I definitely look back and uh, you know, thought of a lot of accomplishments, but I think, uh, you know, my my best ball is still ahead of me, and uh you know, uh looking forward to continuing that.
Speaker 2: Do you do you then look at that?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I've just bankrolled a couple of strong seasons, I started a lot of games already. Do you feel the expectations for yourself?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean as as just the human being that's you know, wants to be better every time they go out on that field and wants the best outcome for themselves. Of course you're going to fill those expectations, but it's my job and my duty to make those expectations not as big as they are or however you see that just kind of it's just how it is. It's a little bit everything into you know, a small binder, trying to figure everything out and just going out there and performing because I know since day one, I know my ability and what I can do. I just got to be confident in it and just continuing to do that and being being great snapping and step in.
Speaker 1: So does it help that you've had the same offensive line coach as opposed to changing a.
Speaker 5: Lot, Yeah, I mean, of course it creates this ability to have some consistency. So it's been great having the same offensive line coach and just you know, that's going to help anybody in terms of, you know, their experience in the league. Not having switching out every every year. Just it allows me to be more consistent and get right with my technique and continue to get better each and every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would imagine the conversations are great too with Chris Morgan, just because now you know each other very well. You know what, you know what would upset him, you know what what he likes. Do you guys have honest conversations even just non football, You guys get to know each other on a different level.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, one hundred. I mean I have a I would say a really good relationship with my offensive line coach, and just we've kind of, you know, really built that over these first three years of just kind of knowing how I need to communicate, knowing how he communicates to me, and just having that best relationship, knowing kind of how how he likes things done, and kind of it's just that player coach relationship and it's a it's a really good relationship. So I'm and it continues to build a day in day out.
Speaker 1: We keep talking about continuity as the goal, obviously, and then that usually leads to success. Uh but you and and Tevin on the left side of the line, that's that's where your main concern is right now, Just who's playing next to you? Right and you guys now have bankrolled a lot of time together before we get into that part of it.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody's changed his haircut more than this guy.
Speaker 4: Now he's got another.
Speaker 1: One, right, you guys, You guys get at him a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: He's always trying something new.
Speaker 1: I I like his idea, but now he's got another he rolled out or another one today.
Speaker 5: I think, Uh yeah, Tevin, Tevin, Tevin seven. I mean, he's a character. He's always changing something, and I think he enjoys like I think he genuinely enjoys like the light of having something new, because he genuinely does have a lot of changes in his haircuts. But you know, I thought this this change was a good change for him and a little shorter, yeah short, it's definitely way shorter, yep cut. Yeah, you know, he got got himself a little fade up there. So I think it looks good on him. But it is funny seeing him go through his phases of you know, long hair and then poofy hair and then a fro. It's it's just you don't know what you're gonna get. And I think I think it's kind of cool, like you're in, you're out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going.
Speaker 1: It's like you go on the college websites to look back at your careers and they you know, they have the four photos of your four years or five years or six years, and how you guys, you see the maturity in the face, you know, you go from a young man to a man. Yeah, short period of time.
Speaker 2: All right. How about the football aspect of it?
Speaker 1: Just the the unspoken communication level that you guys may have at this moment that would you say it's at a high level right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, me and Tevin definitely have a high level of communication. And you know, we've been building this for a little bit now, and I think the biggest thing is I just you know, we communicate about everything when things go wrong, when things go right, Just having that open line of communication, making sure we're both on the same page and we dwell on it. We we sit there and really try and figure things out, and sometimes we can, you know, move on to things quicker than other. But I think it's a good thing to really be looking at both our situations trying to get the best because at the end of the day, it's me and him helping each other to be the best that we can be. And you know, I'm just trying to help Tevin to be the best he can be and get where he's trying to go. So it's just a it's a great open line of communication, and you know, I'm just glad to continue to keep on building that and get better with him always.
Speaker 1: So the offense under Shane Waldron and the same family of offenses in the previous system, so please tell me they still got that power sweep with the tackle leading out in front right, ask my favorite play for you. I know it's been something we've used in the past. So it's an outside zone team, I get it, But I just love.
Speaker 4: The power seat.
Speaker 2: Don't you love that play? Yeah? Pull a tackle?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, I mean, and it's there. We have it in different different ways and I'm sure we'll get to different variations, but it will definitely be there. I mean, when you have two tackles especially Darnell so athletic and so big and can get out in space and do a variety of things. I mean, it's definitely, it's definitely going to be there. But can't you know, show all your tricks and stuff soon. But yeah, we'll get there and we'll get that, get that rolling all right.
Speaker 1: Here, here's the million dollar question. Why is Braxton Jones better? You're in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: I would say my biggest thing in that I've been working on here with our mental co w too, is just my mental and being able to put things behind me, you know, in the previous years, being young, and you know, trying to be the best I can always. That's that's my biggest thing. Is I'm being the best for the Chicago Bears and the organization, trying to be the best for all the fans out there. And that's my biggest thing. And so sometimes I can put a little bit too much pressure on myself doing so so now you know, when something does go wrong, being able to reset my mind and being like, okay, next play, let's let's focus on the pass and not turning one mistake into two mistakes and so forth. So that's my biggest thing is having a good mental. Even today, I had a mishaps and you know, a faalse start and just not turning that into more plays later in practice, just wiping it real, real quick and just getting onto the next play. I think that's my biggest thing, is just my my mental and being strong that way and confident in what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Did you tend to slip into that in the first couple of years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I definitely. I wouldn't say, you know, is that bad or something to you know, be that cautious of. But it was definitely something where you know, I'd have one mishap or one bad play and I'd just turn it into multiple just because I'm trying to get it right so quick. Instead of flushing it and just being being myself and going back up to the line and you know, getting back into the next play, I'd live in in the past. And I think that's the biggest thing, just mentally understanding that, you know, there's seventy, you know upwards to you know, sixty to seventy plays in a game, and obviously one play will matter, but being able to flush flush one of those plays and get to the next and it's really important in this league because you know, everybody's so so talented in this league and you're going to get beat once in a while. But the thing is is being able to eliminate that and be consistent and not turn one tough play into.
Speaker 1: Multiple interesting As long as this league has been around, this was one hundred and fifty year for this franchise. Once upon a time they didn't have that option. You know, they weren't made available like now.
Speaker 2: Staffs are full.
Speaker 1: Of all different types of things to get the most out of a player. How how gratefully are you that that's now the case here in the National Football League and with this organization.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, one hundred percent. I mean it's a big thing. You know, these guys are We're all in here working and to be the best we can, and things do happen on the field that you know might not go your way. So it's just have those type of resources to go to and build mental fortitude and mental strength and just get that consistency within your mind. Is huge and it just has helped me a lot over the beginning of this season, and you know, obviously for time to come.
Speaker 1: So did you feel more comfortable now as a veteran to have a larger voice on that line or in just the offense in general. Often talk about having alpha's on the offensive line. You feel that you could be that person?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think it's you know, continuously building and I definitely can you know, have a say in certain things and definitely speak of for for the group and being able to lead by my words obviously, And I think it's a big thing for our group right now. Is really you know, maintaining uh a great great leadership is you know, I all feel that we're fairly young and and stuff like that. So I mean it is one of those years to step up and really, uh be be that leader for the group.
Speaker 1: For Can you imagine what the innovation will be when you guys roll in the soldier field on Saturday afternoon when the I mean if the offense is introduced. Uh, not just because of all you guys, but you know, with Caleb Williams, the excitement is off the charts. I imagine he's gonna get a nice big verbal hug from the fans, don't you think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, one hundred percent. I mean, as he should. He's coming here and done everything, all the work he's needed to do, and he's just impressed everybody day and day out and just continuously getting one percent better every day. And that's kind of the biggest thing I've noticed in all my respect out to him. He does not have an easy job back there. Man. It's definitely a tough thing to do, and I think people look over that sometimes. So, you know, him getting into Soldier field, I should. I'm sure they'll be there welcoming him and it'll be great. But he deserves it all and I'm just excited to continue this journey.
Speaker 2: Last one.
Speaker 1: Do you get a feel yet for how he moves in and around the pocket, because he's not exactly ejecting, just because he's always looking to make a play, And it was no more in evidence against Buffalo. I'm still trying to scratch my head how he threw a perfect spiral on that forty two yard catch and run by DeAndre Swift, or how he was in mid air with his head legs dangling in the air and got in his body square to throw to Comet on the sideline.
Speaker 2: I mean, so many good things.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you guys, do you guys feel you're in a good paste for the opener to get a feel for the quarterback and vice versa.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, one hundred percent. I mean, you know, he does a really good his pocket presence is uh is really good, and yeah, definitely getting used to that and just being being in certain situations where he he might like to be and just putting myself in the best position so he feels the uh comfortable in every situation. But in terms of him, you know, making plays outside the pocket, I mean, that's going to happen. He's he's when he's an elite playmaker like he is and always trying to get the ball to somewhere you know, we can make a play. I mean, that's what's gonna happen. We're gonna be on the move and we're gonna have to be you know, blocking for extended extended periods of time. So I think as all line and that's you know, you couldn't ask for more when somebody's just trying to make a play. So it's a great feeling kind of knowing that he's back there doing that, and it's our job as offensive linemen too, you know, make him feel comfortable and be able to operate anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, appreciate your time as always.
Speaker 4: Thank you, good luck to you, appreciate it, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, Tommy.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately you were unable to join us because I forgot a cord and I was not able to get you on zoom and into my board. So I apologize because I left. I let a lot on the cutting room floor with your knowledge of offensive line play. And I'm sure you had plenty of questions. Did he answer any of the questions you would have asked him?
Speaker 3: You know, you know, Jeff, and I was thinking of an episode of Seinfeld. There's an episode of Seinfeld where George he says, you always want to leave and leave them wanting more. So you say something clever and a team on a work atmosphere, everybody's laughing, then you leave the room. Braxton Jones never leaves me wanting more. The kid is so intelligent, I say I kid respectfully, because he's so much younger than me that the fact that he tells you complete answers, he is vocabulary is second to none. He understands the question that you asked of him, and he answers it specifically and perfectly. And so I don't know if there is any more questions than I would have asked Braxton, I would have maybe asked him, you know, because you asked him early, what's difference between you now and when you got here?
Speaker 4: And he kind of explained it.
Speaker 3: I would ask, what's the difference in your strength from the time you got out of college to where you're at right now?
Speaker 4: Are you a lot stronger.
Speaker 3: Maybe in your lower body or your upper body than you were when you came out from college? And I would because that would interest me because he's always talked about the type of things that he's susceptible to. I don't want to talk about him because I don't like him doing that. But the susceptibility of he talked about that can be cured with strength confidence. Will you notice that, yes, yeah, one hundred percent. It's again going back to what we've been talking about. If you see that punch from him doing a defensive defensive end and all of a sudden that defensive end, his head pops up or his upper body of stalemate it for that instant, you can see that he is delivering a controlled punch to the defensive ends he's playing against. But he also has super talented feet that he can use his length as an asset as much as he can.
Speaker 4: Strength.
Speaker 1: Quite the congenial guy, no question, so respectful. When he hits to the podium, he greets, everyone wishes him well, thanks for their time. You know, he's like just the opposite of what you would think a nasty offensive lineman would be. But I've seen his blood up on the field, so he's got that nasty twitch to him as well, and that needs to be a part of offensive blind play. You have to and in the trenches that's where it all happens. But I do I love the fact that I love sweeps. I don't care what kind. I don't care. You want to pull Darnell across the formation two, that's fine, But a tackle sweep those are beauty. And he gets out in space. Braxton can get out in space and do some damage.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of pictures that I have because we used to call it twenty eight to forty nine near goo or ego, and that means me and the backside guard mark boards. We would pull and we would lead a field and the front side guard had the first opposite color jersey coming towards his face.
Speaker 2: Wipe him backside, huh, wipe him out right, yes.
Speaker 3: And then the backside guard would pull around and he would take the first inside threat. It could be a linebacker, it could be a safety, and so you had those opportunities of hitting a smaller guy while you were running full speed, and it was just a treat of a play to take Walter Payton, Matt Suey, Neil Anderson, whomever, Dennis Gent whomever was behind us.
Speaker 4: You know, a path up the field.
Speaker 1: Well, you know in this system, obviously outside zone, you're gonna have a lot more perimeter runs with guys. And if you've got speed in the backfield, which you certainly do. DeAndre Swift is showing me just how swift he is with every passing minute. You know, we've seen it. He's done it in college and in the NFL. Kalil Herbert certainly can break something off forty fifty yards and be gone. It's those inside runs though, that you know when you see guys, and we saw it on hard knocks and the videotape granted some of it.
Speaker 2: In pads. Sometimes it's not and they're.
Speaker 1: Not tackling, but Ian Wheeler can blow through the line of scrimmage and he's a blur four three eight speed Baylist Jones as he tries to figure out what his role will be. He's got that ability to turn the corner and hit the gas, and now can he do it between the tackles. There's a bevy of opportunities and Roa Shawn Johnson, He'll just run you over. I mean, he just likes running you over.
Speaker 3: Let me say one thing about that play. Yeah, Ian Wheeler, he has repetitiously done it enough so he knows what he's thinking, maybe a second or two before it happens in front of him. I did see a play at practice that Veayleis Jones took it to the outside right and you could see the vision where he had to use vision in order to pre predict how the hole was going to open up. And when his vision took him to that area, once he opened it up, there was no catching him. So that was super encouraging to me. Is when you talk about all those other guys that have repped the running back and the running back position and the different plays and how they use him, Vyleas doesn't have that experience yet, but you kind of saw him sneaking some of that experience in practice and when he gets to that second and a half. The third level, you're going to become a chaser.
Speaker 2: And he's thick, he's not he's a big back, and he's a big back.
Speaker 1: He's got strepped. Yeah, he's six feet plus and two two something. I know the play you're talking about. It was a bit of a hesitation and then bam right correct, Yeah, exactly, Busy Heart Seltzer Flavors for every vibe, Celebrate responsibly most in Coors Beverage Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I gotta throw also Travis Homer in there is.
Speaker 2: A thickly built dude. He's gonna play special teams.
Speaker 1: He's outstanding at that, but he's getting a lot of third down opportunities.
Speaker 4: Tommy.
Speaker 3: You know, Jeff, when you see all these guys, all of you mentioned in including Homer, you know the tight end in the running back position is not going to be an easy decision to make because that's a talented two position that are instrumental in the overall success of these offense. We know Keenan, we know Rome, we know DJ we know all those guys. However, there's talented tight ends and there's talented running backs here. So I think that whatever reps they get in practice against Cincinnati in the games themselves, it's going to play. It's a important role in the decision making process of Ryan Poles and the coaching staff.
Speaker 1: I am disappointed that, as far as we know Zach Taylor, we mentioned this in the earlier podcast this week and version eighty four, that the Bengals are not planning to use most of their starters, that includes Joe Burrow. I get it, Joe Burrows been banged up a lot in his career and they want to keep him healthy, but I really would have loved to see him again one series last week. I think he had a twelve play drive. Well, what's your feel of the Bengals. Yes, we can talk about the star players of Burrow and Chase and those guys, but we'll be facing guys that are trying to make this team in second stringers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really don't care what the opponent's decision are about playing time, because that is not in your control. Every single guy for the Chicago Bears, every single play they get, every single assignment, make it a positive. As in your interview with Braxon, he talked about dwelling on some of the bad plays you don't need to do that. Just go out there and play the most aggressive brand of football against other guys that are trying out.
Speaker 4: For an NFL football team.
Speaker 3: You're not shipping in a small college team to come and play the Bears on Saturday. This is a group of guys that are as hungry to make an NFL team as there is across the board.
Speaker 4: So you better concentrate on what you do, and you better do it well.
Speaker 1: Tastes like Miller time. Go to Miller lite dot com slash Bears pod to find delivery options near you. Celebrate responsibly. Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two cards per twelve ounces. Any guess on what the temperature of the stadium will be with the fans when Caleb Williams is introduced.
Speaker 3: Gosh, you know, I would almost I would almost introduce the defense for this game, and I would save Caleb for the first game of the regular season, because I've been thinking about that all off season, and I know I've asked you about it, and pretty much everybody says the first regular season game of the year, I think they should introduce the offense. So Saturday, I'm introducing Montese Sweat, TJ Edwards, Trumaine Edward, you know Tremaine Edmunds, and the whole cast of characters that are as flamboyant and confident as any defensive group that I've seen here in.
Speaker 1: A while, Tom, when you get a chance to watch hard Knocks, Uh, I want you to watch. I want you to watch Jalen Johnson and Keenan Allen one on ones, in team or other drills. I mean, Jalen Johnson, you're getting a true feel for what his abilities are when you when you isolate on tape and watch him work and his ability to move his feet maintain an ideal separation so that it's not so much that you lose ground in your you're in catch up mode. And his ability to flip his hips and be around the ball on every single target, to Keenan Allen is crazy, including one of the best interceptions you'll ever see. And I don't know how it even happened, And the two of them talked about it. How it happened. They have no idea. Uh, this is the kind of guy we're getting here who's uber confident and ready to really rock it off, not just tof I mean rocket. If he continues to stay healthy and makes plays on the ball like this, they're not going to throw in his direction at all. So Tyreek Stevenson, Kyler Gordon and whoever's playing dB get ready because you know Jalen is just shutting it down.
Speaker 3: Good listen, man, I've been begging for alpha males inside that locker room for a long time now, and I don't care what position they come from, and it has to come from the back of the defense forward.
Speaker 4: So be it. Because when you look at the division and you look at what.
Speaker 3: Your recovers responsibilities are going to be, there's some good players in this division, every single team. And you know, I don't know if you heard the news that JJ McCarthy is out for the season, so it's going to be quarterback development there. But there are plenty of athletes from the wide receiver position in this division that they're going to have their hands full all season long.
Speaker 1: I mean, once you have to say that Justin Jefferson is still the best play you're in the division.
Speaker 3: Up unto this point. Yeah, this is a whole new year. I mean, only you know, you're only good. You're only good last year, Like now, it's let's all, let's all start this thing again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's plenty to worry about, that's for sure. We're brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears. Let's touch on that JJ McCarthy tormentiscus. A repair is necessary and his season is over. I'm sure fans there are are bemoaning that fact, obviously, as they look always to a first round pick quarterback to make some noise early in their careers. So Sam Donald and whoever or else they have in that bullpen right now will go to work with a very good head coach who knows how to get the most out of his quarterback. So you know, Sam Donald hasn't reached his potential, but you never know.
Speaker 2: You never know. But that's not my that's not my discussion.
Speaker 1: My discussion point is when fans I'm looking at fan reaction when they hear about a quarterback in particular that gets hurt in his rookie year. Does that make them not want to see a guy like Caleb Williams play in games here in the preseason for fear of losing to an injury.
Speaker 4: You can't play scared.
Speaker 3: I think that's one of the worst things that you can tell your team, no matter if you're a position coach, a head coach, a president at GM, whatever, you can't go out there and play scared.
Speaker 4: You just go out there and play the game.
Speaker 3: And JJ McCarthy went out and played the game and he didn't realize what happened. He didn't report it until the next day. So it's just an unfortunate incident and he's fortunate that it happened so early in his career that they will go out there and they will repair it.
Speaker 4: That is the long.
Speaker 3: Term of the healing process, of that type of process in the way they're gonna fix it. And hell, he'll go out there and have an eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, whatever year you know, career he's gonna have. He's you know, he's gonna be fine. And you know, so you can't you can't be worried about that that those.
Speaker 4: Types of things.
Speaker 1: All right, I mean to spring this on you as we wrap up, but can you give me three guys you're looking forward to most seeing play on Saturday at noon at Soldier Field against the Cincinnati Bengals. The game you'll hear on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network with pregame getting underway at ten AM. Good old fashioned noon start will feel like a Sunday Tommy.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go again with Vayalis Jones. I want to see what, you know, what he's possibly going to offer you. I'll bore you all with an offensive lineman and Jerome Carvin because as this season winds on and you look for the most valuable game day activations, he's a guy that has real interior skills and he's starting to show up more and more on the on the docket and then you know you brought it, John. I want to see Jonathan Owens, Yes, I would like this. I like Elijah Hicks and his opportunity. And I still want to see more rushes by Austin Booker because if he goes into Chicago and he gets a sack in a limited amount of snaps, that place is going to go insane.
Speaker 1: I have him on my list to see if he could do it again, right right right right after, you know, do it again and just just play football, Just play football, react that way. I also want to see Roma Dounza get a couple catches. You know, his first experience, you know it's a physical NFL, and so you get banged around a little bit on that first attempt. They threw to him in the end zone as well, But I want to see Roma Dounza and see what he's best at because he can pull away from separation.
Speaker 2: He's an excellent round runner already. And then probably.
Speaker 3: Imagine if Daniel Hardy has another complimentary getting along with Austin Booker and so whatever their stat line was coming out of Buffalo, if they go and they replicate that at home, it's gonna be another positive move in Daniel Hardy direction.
Speaker 2: And then I'm gonna go special teams and have some semblance of sorting things out in the return game, kick and punt returner, where are they headed, and try and get as many reps and figure that out as possible.
Speaker 3: You're not going to see that creativity until we wantular.
Speaker 1: I didn't say anything about the return, about who's returning, who's gonna be your punt return, who's gonna be your kickoff tandem?
Speaker 3: You know that's what Tory Taylor to bang one inside Soldier Field.
Speaker 2: Yes, I went the crowd.
Speaker 1: He'll have a nickname before anybody else on this roster, right, you know, what so Tory Taylor.
Speaker 3: In order for him to really bang one, he's got to be at his own twenty, his own fifteen, because if you put him anywhere else in the field, he and you let him bang it, he'll kick it into the end zone. So it's gonna be one of those sixty five yard five second hangars that is going to have an extended ooh by the crowd.
Speaker 1: He's going to be a crowd favorite. There's no question about it. All right, Tommy, don't be late on Saturday. It's a Saturday, not a Sunday. Get there bright, nearly, get that coffee percolating. We'll be thrilled me back home at Soldier Field. We've already banked, bank rolled two trips and another one to wrap up the preseason next week from Thursday. Believe they're not against Kansas City. As soon as they arrived, they're almost gone. I mean, this is the crazy part of preseason. It feels like you're in it for the long haul, but the games are quick boom boom boom, And then we got seventeen days to wait for the opener.
Speaker 4: I'm not afraid to admit it.
Speaker 3: I also thought the Kansas City game was at seven o'clock on a Saturday.
Speaker 4: I didn't know it's a Thursday night. I don't look ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh come on, Tom, Yeah right, that's your You were made that way, as you're made that way as a football player.
Speaker 2: I get it. I get it all right.
Speaker 1: That's gonna wrap us up. Special thanks to our guest left tackle Braxton Jones. Fourth time, I'm Jeff. Thanks for listening to podcast number eighty five. That number represents so much significance in the Bear's history.
Speaker 2: It sure is. Thanks for listening to everybody.
Speaker 1: Please subscribe now in the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify.
Speaker 2: YouTube, or wherever you get your podcasts. Far down, everybody,