Speaker 1: Warning, Today's episode will not contain spoilers for the three thousand year old story The Odyssey has adapted by the twenty twenty six summer Christopher Nolan some white Light spoil spoils you know the story. Hello, and it was Jason comes here and I'm Rosie Nike to welcome back to the next revision of the podcast where we divedt WITHO your Favorit, Joe's Movie, Colleges of pod Cult, Cobody or My Heart, where we'll bringing you three episodes a week.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, guys, is a tough day for me the Prestige Christphan Nolan hate the trailblazer of Christophan Nolan cynics because we are talking about The Odyssey and guess what, guys, if fucking bad, it's amazing. So we're gonna be talking about why it works, Why did it just hit so hard for me and Jason, Why does it feel like a timeless movie that's also completely timely. I feel like it's bringing back Technicolor. We're gonna be talking about all of that. Then we'll be talking about the kind of unexpected moments from the movie that really spoke to us. And of course at the end we're gonna be ranking our favorite Christopher Nolan movies because I think for both of us this changes that ranking.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: The Artisty by Christopher Nolan, directed by Christopher Nolan, screenplay by Christopher Nolan, based on The Odyssey by.
Speaker 4: I Don't Know Tys.
Speaker 2: No Homeless Club.
Speaker 1: We think, guys, you know, hypotheadicly hypothetically, we do. We have no idea starring Matt Damon in the titular role Thomas. I'm gonna call him Thomas because he did, as super producer Ian noted, become a man in this he became a mad Thomas Holland Thomas as as Telemachus, Telemachus telemicus the way I've been saying it wrong all these three Uh, and Hathaway Robert Pattinson just in his villain bag Bitch with Samantha Morton, Zendea, Charley's there on many many other.
Speaker 2: John Brey would about the Horse Do you want to Know about the Horse? From You Got to Know?
Speaker 1: And Uh with music by Ludwig Gornson.
Speaker 2: In his Fucking Bag and his Ancient Grecian Bag.
Speaker 1: We saw the film last night at Universal City Walk and let me tell you, you could tell that Universal is feeling like they got the juice, because I mean they had ushers waving my car in like from all the way out on the street, so oh, you exactly where to park. They had a thirty five foot trojan horse out in front of the cinema.
Speaker 3: Which if you follow anyone who has a film person in LA who was at the screening, you know they posted a picture it out, fucking horse.
Speaker 2: We all did it. We got how bad it looks good? You want to see the horse. You want to be inside the horse.
Speaker 4: Forget side. And of course Universal City Walk.
Speaker 1: You know, anybody that wants to it is visiting Los Angeles and wants to see a film. The Cinemama Dome, of course has been closed for a number.
Speaker 4: Of years and bring it back.
Speaker 1: In my estimation, the place to really see a movie on its debut weekend is Universal, if they're doing a premiere there or something. It's just a fantastic experience. We saw it in the seventy millimeters Imax and.
Speaker 2: It begs the top top lie it bangs, It's it's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's got vibes, it's got action, it's colorful, it's colorful, looks amazing, and every single person in this movie is at the top of their register. Just do killing it unbelievable, I think so one. I totally agree with you.
Speaker 3: CityWalk is a great place to get this experience, though I will quickly say give yourself extra time.
Speaker 2: They recently added some.
Speaker 3: Very dodgy downtown Disney esque security because they don't want homeless people in there, so you could gotta go get through. But once you get into that universal city Walk, you've gone through the crazy barriers.
Speaker 2: That movie theater is.
Speaker 3: So cool, it's so huge, and also they had the real costumes, the screen worn costumes from the Odyssey. It gives you that feeling that you're getting that old school Hollywood experience right and the huge hor outside. Jason obviously no surprise. I went into this with relatively low expectations, though if you've been listening to the podcast or you're my friend or you see me post on social I actually was starting to get hype for the movie because of Cinema com presentation, and I got a say.
Speaker 2: Man, it absolutely lived up to my expect It.
Speaker 3: Actually like over delivered, because I think what I loved so much about this was the way Christopher Nolan chose to tell the story, which I already know from speaking to other people, was quite divisive. But Jason, it really is ellergaic and like story, like lyrical storytelling. It's out of timing, it's it seems out of pacing, but then it starts to come together and by the time you get to the third act and you understand why you've been seeing.
Speaker 2: It that way, it's so fucking good.
Speaker 3: Like I was seeing it with a friend of the pod ron who we'd done some other pods with from oh hey, it's big wrong productions, and he, you know, was definitely more skeptical, and he's a big Nolan fan. First two acts I think did not really work for him in the same way. But by the third act it was just a little bit choppy. I've heard that from a few different people, like the editing was a bit choppy. It didn't hit for them immediately. But I think that even for people who didn't love that weird, poetic, kind of timeless jumping from here to their kind of storytelling, by the time the third act comes round and all of the plots are tied up, it even satisfied the people who were questioning it. But for me, the moment it opened with that it opens with a phrase that I believe it says in an apparent time of magic, and from then on it's just like boom, bitch, or in a Christopher Nolan fantasy movie, something you didn't even know you could get.
Speaker 4: I listen it.
Speaker 1: The one thing that kept leaping to my mind and watching this film is and why I think it's extraordinary, is that Nolan kind of all the nolanisms are here, the weird time flow, the poetic editing. If you like Dunkirk, that you will like the way this movie flows. But yes, uh uh father and sons, children and parents, uh little metal tokens given by a loved one, massive bass drops.
Speaker 3: Like boom, incredible, like never choosing to go back home, always being this strange like fight.
Speaker 1: Of circular circular storytelling, circular story arcs. He does all of that stuff that he's done before, but he does it in the most creative and tasting the way that I've seen him do it. Yet agree, I remixes himself in this way that's really interesting. And I kept thinking about, you know, like thes since Tenant have been Away transformed the movies and movie trailers.
Speaker 3: I mean even back to like even back to Batman that she was doing the big gongs, but Tenant was definitely the totally silly, like almost brown noise level.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he's doing it in this but in a more painterly way.
Speaker 4: And when it there's a moment when it comes.
Speaker 1: Back at the end, oh man where because he uses it as a thematic device, less as this kind of churning, you know, feeling that rumbles the theater, although there is a lot of that that is, but when he hits this bass note again at the end, you're just like, oh my god, yes, I know there's I think you touched on something there that I really do love.
Speaker 2: The remixing of his own work.
Speaker 3: I feel like that is why this to me feels like his magnum opus. Like I you know, I was talking about this with friends. Maybe it'll be cool to see him do something deletely original, non historical twenty million dollars next, like a Christophanola mini indie. I believe he's still got great movies in him, but this, to me, the mystery, the slow burn, the cinematography, the weird out of time flow storytelling, like you say it was like everything that he learned in film school as a nerd, watching Imax movies at the Science Museum. It all led to this in a way that emotionally connected with me that I have not felt with most of his movies.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of his movies, even.
Speaker 3: Ten Out, which I love, we know, is like very it has this cold sheen to it. I feel like a lot of his sci fi is very clinical and under Ellie harsh led lights, and it's very bright and sterile.
Speaker 2: And you can't connect with it. It's interstellar. It's the disconnect between like love and science or whatever. This is not the case. This shit has I mean, this was something that.
Speaker 3: Actually super produced. Joel did not love, but I did love. There is shit getting stuck on.
Speaker 2: Those Imax lenses at all time.
Speaker 3: Throughout, Like there is so much like artifacting. There's so much like weird fucking eyelashes on the screen.
Speaker 2: There's but it's just so all shit and colorful. It to me.
Speaker 3: I was like already excited from the New Dune trailer because we'd got on the hint that they were kind of going for a technicolor look that we haven't seen for a long time.
Speaker 2: This has that in spades.
Speaker 3: You might not have really realized from the trailers, but there are these unbelievable moments of Odysseus and his men going through these huge.
Speaker 2: Sprawling like bright green fields or gorgeous blue seas, these red banners uh la Peter Neongo.
Speaker 3: The way that her the tone of her skin contrasts with the incredible like lush jewel tones they dress her in, Like it has color and texture that I have never seen in a Nolan movie in my opinion, And I thought that on the Imax screen, and maybe I was imaxing again because I was kind of close, but like it was unbelievable to look at.
Speaker 2: I had many moments.
Speaker 3: Throughout the movie where I started to get that feeling like, oh, this is cinema.
Speaker 2: Like I was getting that feeling in my chest of like.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck, like this is why they made a big screen to watch a movie on.
Speaker 2: And that is a magical feeling.
Speaker 1: The other thing is that I think about this movie almost in the.
Speaker 4: The way that I think of you know.
Speaker 2: D W.
Speaker 1: Griveth was one of the pioneering early directors. He made the Birth of a Nation, which is one of the most racist movies ever made, but has some wonderful movie making techniques and.
Speaker 3: Was obviously has been held up by like the AFI and stuff over many many years.
Speaker 2: Sure as a big important place of.
Speaker 1: Film as an important I think technically it's important in terms of content.
Speaker 4: Is absolutely horrendous.
Speaker 1: Now he got absolutely ripped for that movie. So d W came back the next year with a movie called Intolerance, which was all about like how racism is bad. Although he would say in interviews he didn't feel that he needed to apologize for Birth of a Nation. It was like he just wanted to show actually it was my critic. It was my critics who were intolerant in a way.
Speaker 4: I in my my own.
Speaker 1: Like interior fictional universe, I believe that The Odyssey is a reaction to to Oppenheimer.
Speaker 4: I think it feels like either he felt like he.
Speaker 1: Was making an anti war movie with Oppenheimer, but it didn't come off that way, or it wasn't received that way, and so he in this movie dials it up and makes it in a way that that amplifies. I think the story telling elements in the original text in the original Homer and brings it forward, elevates it in a way as if to say, this is all horrendous. Look At how the character is ruminating on how much damage he's done.
Speaker 4: Look at how much.
Speaker 1: Damage has is done to these various characters as they seek to go home from this war. Everywhere they stop, they do something terrible to some unwitting group of people.
Speaker 4: Or some magical being.
Speaker 1: And in fact, the pain and the trauma and the death that they go through as they try to get home is all part of a penance that they have to pay for what they did in Troy. And he ties that up in a way that just kind of builds up, builds up, builds up, builds up, builds up, and there's a reveal towards there's a reveal basically at the end of the movie MM.
Speaker 4: That is just like a.
Speaker 1: Hammer blow to like hammer at home. He gives you, you know, it's like you're so used to Nolan movies now, twenty plus years of Nolan movies, and these he's giving you these like fragments of images and scenes, and you're used to this by now. But he again does it, in my opinion, in this much more organic way, where there's a fragment of a scene from the from the battle of Troy where the gates have been thrown open, and you see it is SEUs and he's reacting to something and you don't know what, and then you kind of forget about it and it comes back, and you forget about it and it comes back. And then when they give you the whole thing at the end, it is just like, oh.
Speaker 3: My okay, I love the people with that, because again I think this is Christopher Nolan learning from himself.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, it's he does the fragmentation in the past, he does the miss he does the puzzle box, but often I feel like he leaves it ambiguous or he doesn't make a statement.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 3: This is why you listen to X ray Vision because Jason brings up d W. Griffith And I'm gonna tell you what this reminded me of, which is The Hunger Games. Right, if you don't remember, when Susan Collins relaunched The Hunger Games, she started with a book that was about President Snow and she thought it was a book about how easily corrupted someone can be who you think is good.
Speaker 2: But a lot of readers were like, wait, is this.
Speaker 3: Trying to make us empathize with a Nazi during the time of Trump, like, what the fuck? So the next book she did, Sunrise on the Reaping, which is the Hemich book about Hamich in the quarter Quell, which is about to probably make a billion dollars when it comes out because the book was astounding. She very definitively said, this is a book about fascism being bad and how propaganda plays into it. Sometimes if you tell a story like I believe Nolan was trying to do with Oppenheimer that he felt was an anti war story, but it can be received as a celebration of war or a celebration of the person who created this terrible thing, then you have to reconsider and say, Okay, I need to make it clearer next time if I want to make a safe me. It's unbelievably clear here to the point where you cannot deny what the movie is stating. And I have to say, there were That was when I really knew I loved this whole movie. Like I did not have any of the issues, even the minor issues that I heard most people have.
Speaker 4: It it's a minor I could do.
Speaker 2: It just worked. We can talk, but we'll talk a little bit about that. But the thing.
Speaker 3: The thing that was crazy to me was in the final moments of the movie, when the reveal really happens and you learn a lot more and it all comes together and you kind of learn why Odysseus took so long to get home, which you know, in the academic world and in the world of the Odyssey is very funny because we always be laughing about how he's useless, but they make it really hit here in a very emotional way. I knew in my heart all I could think about was shit that was going on right now in the world, and I was like, Okay, he made it like this is the this is the masterpiece, because the connection is so organic that you can't deny it, like you're watching it and you know what it's really about.
Speaker 1: It more than an anti war film, I think. And this is how I know I really like the movie, because the more I think about it, the more I.
Speaker 2: Like it same.
Speaker 1: It's it's an anti the ideologies that lead to warm. What I mean by that is, I don't care what Christopher Nolan says in any press interview, I don't care what Universal says in any press interview. The casting of this movie is exactly what the people who hate this movie for the casting think it is exactly Oh it is is that he is making a statement with the casting throughout this film, and.
Speaker 4: He's doing that by one this wonderfully diverse.
Speaker 1: And creative casting, whether it's Elliott Page, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Wow, Elliott Page costs.
Speaker 5: Very important role nod minor spoiler minus spoiler cass Elliott Page as a character who is sacrificed for this great victory, who is cut loose by.
Speaker 4: Their society exactly.
Speaker 1: In service of accomplishing the defeat of another nation that they'll it's incredibly powerful and so like. And then when you layer that on top of the themes, the way that he keeps hammering home, like this idea of taking other people's land, invading other people's space, This is what Odysseus when he goes home, is angry about. And he himself is is ruminating on the fact that I am now angry, in ciated, rageful about to get extremely violent about the things that I did in other countries.
Speaker 2: For the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's coming home and realizing the horrors of war in such a visceral way.
Speaker 1: And when you layer all that together, I just think it's a tremendously powerful statement from top to bottom, from top to bottom, and even in the casting. And once again, I don't care what kind of pr and marketing statement that Nolan with like Anadyne like, oh.
Speaker 2: You know, I just wanted to the best people for the rule.
Speaker 4: And she did do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are the best people.
Speaker 1: They are the best intenervis in service to the message of the movie, and that is what makes the movie so tremendously powerful.
Speaker 4: I just think it's it's a masteriece.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's let's go to an atbreak and when we come back, let's talk more about the cost because I think there's definitely some cool shit that we.
Speaker 2: Can pull out. Elliott page wise, Yeah, he is why people are so good.
Speaker 4: And we're back. Okay, well, let's talk about Let's talk about the cast. Let's start with.
Speaker 2: So many people.
Speaker 1: There is so many people I want to start with. I want to start with Travis Scott because he's the first.
Speaker 3: And you know what I want to give again something I do not like to hand it to any man, let alone Christopher Nolan, but a use of Travis Scott that is so perfect, understated and understood of what a bard is what a storyteller is, and is not in any way some kind of cringey attempt to modernize anything. In fact, they just again chose the best person for the role, and that repeating kind of pentameter of him throughout the story and the gongs and the keeping time is so fucking powerful. And you're right, Jason, first person you see, the first person you.
Speaker 1: See on the screen, and to your point, note perfect beat, perfect, the exact right amount, the exact right register correct. I will also say that like because his voice is the first you hear. It's the first moment in the film where you register, oh, I'm not. This isn't one of those antiquity movie period pieces where everybody's speaking in a faux British accent.
Speaker 4: And this might be the place where you.
Speaker 1: Feel that discordantly for a moment, But let me tell you, you don't care.
Speaker 4: By two minutes into the movie, ye do not care.
Speaker 3: So I'm again let's talk about it, you know, let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: John Banthorwack, let me tell you something. He does say that the verse launch a thousand tips. That's it. The thing that I think is so.
Speaker 3: Un deratedly smart about Christopher Nolan in this choice is one we talked about the most recent Odyssey adaptation, like translation by the female academic.
Speaker 4: And Emily Wilson.
Speaker 3: Emily Wilson and I do think that her kind of plain language like.
Speaker 2: This is entertainment was a huge influence.
Speaker 3: And I have to say for me, it works because look is there is there like two percent of the movie where sometimes if you hear Tom Holland say Dad swords or something, you might be like that, lol, Spider Man.
Speaker 2: But otherwise I.
Speaker 3: Found and I was actually talking to two girls in the restroom about this afterwards. It actually eases you into a grounded realness that we do not get in movies where everyone's going, oh uh, dear sir, the thou doff thist blah blah blah, which, as Tom Holland has pointed out, not historically accurate either it would be in ancient Greece. So actually, the mom dad casual nature of the language I think is part of why it flows so well. I think it's one of the smartest choices, and I do think it's gonna make it really stand the test of time in a way that other historical period pieces don't.
Speaker 1: Often other casting that I love James Remars, Teresius, the Blind Prophet, ooh scary, really spooky and scary, like, oh my gosh, just a moment to say. The monster work, the creature work, the effects work is astounding.
Speaker 3: Also very short credits under six minutes for a movie like this, which will let you know that there was a lot of practical, a lot of different like on set, on location shooting. I'm glad you talked about the monsters, because that's one of the things I think the movie does so well is we're talking about the cast. We're talking about these incredible performances, a lot of people. Elliott Page, for example, probably on screen fifteen minutes right Teresiu's similar situation. And it's really incredible how they can balance the humanity and the character kind of aspects, which I think is what we usually get in these stories.
Speaker 2: But Nolan does not shy away.
Speaker 3: From monsters and creatures and the mythical elements that make these stories so enchanting. And for me, that is what made this feel like kind of adjacent and the argonauts Harry Howsen level hit because I think that modern ones often try and don't They don't commit.
Speaker 2: To the magic, the accurrent magic.
Speaker 3: And I think that when you look at a casting like, for example, we can talk about the double bill of like Calypso with Charlie Sterron playing Calypso and then Samantha Morton as Circe, that is some of the coolest representations of mythological magic that I think we ever scene and on a Hollywood film at least. And that's so different, like it's two completely different characters who are both women in a Christopher Nola movie. Crazy also very few dead women in this movie for a christ of Vanola movie.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, and I will say that, so Mia Goth plays Melantho oh kind of a lady and lady in waiting of of of Ueenay of van Hathaway's character Penelope, and or a maid servant, I should say. And in the Odyssey, there is a kind of famous slash infamous slash much discussed scene in the late in the homecoming Odysseus his come home. Now he's taking revenge on the suitors and it's it's unclear if the maids are slaughtered, if they are salted, like what something bad happens to them, And there's a lot of debate on what that means within the text, and to your point, if there's any violence that happens against women. First of all, there is no shying away from the concept that not that this happens in war and that men are responsible, of course, but it's powerfully gestured at, hinted at, and never like egregiously given to you in kind of any you know on screen way right, which just makes you recoil, And if anyone is more powerful for that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's a lot of restraint here, Jason.
Speaker 3: I think that is because also if you think about how much restraint there is in the way they choose to tell Odysseus's story, right, and how much restraint there is in what the payoff is, right, even it's actually quite emotionally low stakes, but hits for us right in a huge way. And like, I think that that element and that kind of restraint is why the movie works, because this is a film where we are talking about the kind of deep political analogy of it, but there's also just people getting eaten by crazy monsters. Yes, And it's like that balance is so crazy to me, and I kind of love I'm not gonna lie Obviously we're very House of the Dragon pilled over here, especially with season three coming out as like an all time a franchise season. But it was reminding me of that because, like you said, there is so much violence. We see people getting eaten by monsters, we see people getting murdered.
Speaker 2: It's a war film.
Speaker 3: There is deaths, but we do there's a huge more scene, but we do not get a lot of the gendered violence that you would presume, but it also never shies away from it.
Speaker 2: And I think one of the things.
Speaker 3: That I adored about this movie, which is very funny because it's a similar critique that I had, I had a critique that may sound similar of Supergirl, but what I think they did really well here that was very different. In Supergirl, there's a lot of like, oh, child sex trackers, they're gonna marry you off. So it's very like just like textual what I love here led by an incredible stea Weasel performance.
Speaker 2: By Robert Pattinson.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we adore the suitors being such a huge part of the story and essentially this invading force in the home, that threat of constant male violence was so viscerally represented, but in a way that worked and added to the tension. I mean, Jason, it's not necessarily like a big spoiler. So let's just talk a little bit about some of our Pat's best.
Speaker 2: Moments, because he does have some great ones in this right.
Speaker 1: As we continue with the casting time, I mean, listen, it's clear at this point that Robert Pattinson loves to play a weak slime, like a villainous, sniveling, sniveling kind of like character two faced character. He is an absolute fucking revelation as Antonomus, the kind of unbelievable suitor of Penelope who has been camped out in Odysseus's palace for like ten years or whatever, trying to oo Penelope. And he's got this like he's both a bully and weak, but there's this wonderful complexity about him where the character understands that he's got these very toxic, negative, distasteful traits. And so in these very public moments when he's addressing the entire crowd of suitors and Penelope and all the household of Odysseus, he goes to this other register that's like this very almost political and wise. Oh, we would never seek to tell place no One could no one could ever replace Odysseus. And there's this moment a mild spoiler, where he, after all of this shit that you've seen stir up and manipulate over the cour the movie, you hate him so much, he makes a speech about how, oh, no one, I would never seek to replace him, nobody can replace it. And it goes on for a while and I have to and I thought to myself, like I would fall for this.
Speaker 2: I would fall for it.
Speaker 3: That's the best thing about this performance. And I think I'm not gonna lie again. It's not my dream scenario to be here predicting this, but I do predict that this is gonna be an Oscar heavy hit.
Speaker 2: I don't see.
Speaker 3: Oh it isn't like if you could have a whole supporting category. It's just people from this because Robert Pattinson. Something he does in this role that, in my opinion, we have not.
Speaker 2: Seen him mutilize yet. Is it is the sniveling. We see that all the time. He's so good at it.
Speaker 3: He did it for Batman even like the impressed sniveling kind.
Speaker 1: Of hiding behind a pillar is like this fight is going on and yelling it get him, get it.
Speaker 2: Get him.
Speaker 4: Someone does that better.
Speaker 3: Than But something we haven't seen that I think works here so well is he utilizes a bit of that Twilight handsome charm right and it works in a really haunting way because again, this is a perennial story that has been told for three thousand years, you know, because everyone can universally relate to it.
Speaker 2: But it is really funny.
Speaker 3: To see how a smart, conniving man can emotionally manipulate people, you know, a lot of the reveals about him are about deception and about the lengths that he would go to not be a coward. And it's really interesting because he is essentially or not be seen as a coward, but he is essentially also like not really much worse than Odysseus, Like if you look at all the things Odysseus has done. And that's why I think is really powerful, because Pattinson sells it and makes you know he's still a bad person Odysseus. The difference is he has regrets and he has had time to understand.
Speaker 2: That he is a bad person. Jason, I would like to quickly ask a canonical question the People from the Sea reveal, which we will not get into, is that canon to the Odyssey or is that something new.
Speaker 1: That's a historical So in there's a period of antiquity called in which various cities like around the Mediterranean and around the Aegean collapsed, and several of the chronicles independently mentioned that people from the sea came and raided the place and then overthrew these cities.
Speaker 2: And so kind of House of the Dragon expansion.
Speaker 1: So there's like it's a real life mystery that has been applied from that era and that part of the world that has been applied to this story because nobody knows. Historians will debate, and there's some likely suspects, but nobody really knows who the quote unquote see people were, Okay, So another question kind of tied to that with the costing.
Speaker 3: Let's just talk a little bit about Penelope. Anne Hathaway's Penelope and.
Speaker 2: Tomland as fucking Telemacus. He does have the juice.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, I think this proves he has the leading man juice. He just needed a good script and a good fucking director.
Speaker 4: He needed the juice. First of all, Anne Hathaway will get nominated for this movie.
Speaker 2: She won't get nominated correctly so correctly.
Speaker 4: So there is a.
Speaker 1: She has a rip roaring, fucking monologue towards the end of this film that is like hairs on the back of the neck, standing up stuff, And when the camera pulls in close to her, it's like she just delivers an intensity of emotion.
Speaker 2: That is like the fucking i'mac close up.
Speaker 3: Me and Joel were going crazy because like you know, the h d imax close up, the forty foot and halfaway close up. There is a line where she truly reveals what she wants, which is something she's to reveal. Yes, and it is fucking I mean fire like I want to quote it, but I'm not even quote.
Speaker 1: Your about the constant presence of and potential for for gendered male violence in this world, and half Away.
Speaker 4: Talks about it. She says it in that speech.
Speaker 2: It's very panetic way, but very dry and true.
Speaker 3: That's why I think is so powerful about the choice to use very straightforward language, because a lot of times they'll be like, you know, I was ravaged in thy beddest by thy soldier hoops, I did not know or whatever. But here she's like, look, guess what I gotta do. I gotta fucking marry one of these guys, or I gotta kill them all. That's my fucking options. And I love that shit, like and yeah, you're right, she's gonna get numbed. And let's talk about how Tom Holland became a man because he said before this, he said, this was my last chance to play a boy. I'm not gonna be taking on those roles anymore. And people laughed that was a lot funny, like transition jokes and stuff. But actually watching the movie, you know exactly what he means. That is the journey, and after this he is in adult roles like it's he did it.
Speaker 2: This is the coming of age role.
Speaker 1: He was incredible this, I mean, his character is struggling with the fact that the world and all these suitors see him as the prince, a boy, his father's son, not ready to rule, and he simultaneously got to prove to himself and to them that he can do it while also trying to not dishonor his father, who he doesn't even know is alive or dead.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And it is a wonderfully complex role. He's fantastic in it. I mean, to your point, it is Tom Holland showing that he does have the juice.
Speaker 2: He absolutely very cool use.
Speaker 3: In my opinion as well, I'm not sure who the action choreographer was for this, but I really liked the direction of using Tom Holland's billetic kind of style. It really feels like you're watching an old Errol Flim movie or a Harry Howsen movie. Like he's always kind of it's always about his flow and his flex and it's never about the speed. He learns that from his mentor. Which actually, let's talk about that too, because we do also get a legendary John Legazamo performance that's like I mean, Joelle said she thinks it's the best since Tibble in Romeo, and Juliet I would say it is up there for him. He's very grounded. He plays the kind of blind shepherd who is also, you know, Odysseus's most kind and loving friend.
Speaker 2: He's also he's unbelievable, and they expand out the role of Odysseus's dog Ugust two.
Speaker 3: Jason, you want to talk a little bit about that, because I mean, there is some dog warning stuff here, guys. We have some fans who are big did the dog die uses? There is some emotionally wrought stuff here. And you do see animals die, including.
Speaker 2: Dogs, but I will see them die, but you don't see them die.
Speaker 3: You see that, but I will say, I will say in this case, I'm gonna say, guys, I think emotionally it's still worth it. I don't think this is done for shock value. It's not horror movie.
Speaker 2: It is more about the time we were living in and the emotional.
Speaker 3: Story of August, which is very expanded here, is really powerful as a dog owner.
Speaker 2: Where you crying, Jason, I was crying, and I don't know very.
Speaker 4: It was very tough to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I mean, like just a moment about Legsamo, this is I'm like, fuck man, legs Amo.
Speaker 4: Is he underused?
Speaker 2: Is he ahead like underrated? Dramatically? I do think so.
Speaker 4: He You know, I don't know what people think of leg Wisamo.
Speaker 1: It's probably based on John Wick at this point, and it's very funny to me that now he is in his second movie in which violence towards dogs is like a major I wonder if I almost wonder if that's like a wink and a nod from Nolan. But this is I I loved him in Summer of Sam not a great Spike.
Speaker 2: Lee movie, great great performance though.
Speaker 1: Loved him in that film. But really it's like the one where you're like shit, like Juice Man is uh Roman Baslerman's hallucinogenic Romeo and Juliet and this channels that, but in a completely different emotional way. He represents and, because of his ties to Argus, represents pure loyalty to an ideal, to a person, to goodness, to the idea of goodness unlike and he is very strongly contrasted with some of the other kind of unfaithful servants. Melantho played by Mia goth I forget who's the other one?
Speaker 3: Uh oh, the guy who's always wearing the fucking cowboy spurs and is so noisy, right, he's always annoying Leguizamo because he's like, I can hear you your coward?
Speaker 4: Yeah, coward? Who plays him anyway? But that's Logan Marshall Green. That was Logan Marshall Green.
Speaker 2: Did you know that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You want to know. It's really funny. I was like, is that logo Marshall Marshall Green. He's like a Tom. He looks like Tom Hardy.
Speaker 3: He's amazing in the invitation this Tim Tom Harbady, but he's great.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's another funny thing about this cast is like you could be naming people for the entire episode and you would not name all the people from like l A and the scene that is in this movie, like everybody is in it and everybody's having.
Speaker 2: The puff amount of fun.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing I want to touch on here because look, I know for some people, and I guess Jason, this is a good place to kind of if you do have any wrinkles on casting. I know that for say like Aboo and Joelle, they were not really feeling John Burnhalpe, I have to say, he to me was an example of what this movie did perfectly, which is it has a lot of that person's seen an air on face or Tom Holland's modern eyebrows. But there was to me, everyone was playing on exactly the same level.
Speaker 2: So it immersed me.
Speaker 3: And there were many times when I was just like, Oh, that's fucking Menilaus, I'm gonna fucking stab him. Like I did not keep I was not pulled out at any time by the fact that every single person in this is a modern day star. And I think that is equivalent to a Cleopatra or a Lawrence of Arabia, where I am perfectly online enough and celebrity aware enough that this should be pulling me out, but it's so well done that even you know New York inside the horse John Bunthorpe, I was just like, yeah, he's perfect casting.
Speaker 2: He was so impassive to me, but was an that didn't walk for you.
Speaker 1: No, because again I said, I think that Nolan was very.
Speaker 4: I think he was.
Speaker 1: I think he's playing with the public images of the people that he creates, and he is making statements through that.
Speaker 4: I think it is.
Speaker 1: I think it's a statement of some sort that the kind of the most pro what we did in Troy was awesome. Figure is medalay Us, played by John Bernhal who is this kind of swaggering king who just loves everything.
Speaker 4: They'd all let me tell you this great war story. Kid. Here's Hill and Detroit.
Speaker 2: Look at her face, you know, like he I'm evil.
Speaker 1: He's He's not evil. He's just kind of like a he's like a bro. He's a toxic guy. He's like, like you said, incredibly, it's a cost he's pro war masculine, like if soulages. If this was twenty twenty six, he'd be driving like the biggest four f one P fifty, like lifted truck, like you know with.
Speaker 4: The gun rack.
Speaker 1: He's that kind of guy, and it's and Nolan like Nolan uses that archetype in a way that is I think like acknowledges that, Hey, people that you disagree with that look at war differently than you, that look at violence differently you, that accept it, that have a different relationship to it, and are therefore less stressed and anxious about war and about the violence that they commit or that they have taken part in, or they take part around them. They live very easily and this noble kingly fashion. Those people exist.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do?
Speaker 1: We can't pretend that they don't exist. And because of that I loved I thought.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a brilliant casting.
Speaker 1: And I really like the I know, I totally agree.
Speaker 3: And also you make a great point because something I really love, like, in my opinion, Menialist is evil, right, I hate like an abusive piece of shit man, but he is also easily the most honest, transparent, legit ally that Telemachus could have in that situation. Like, and it's really interesting and complicated and almost an agnostic take, which I kind of like.
Speaker 2: But you're right, I think the burnth all of it all.
Speaker 3: You know, it works for me because it does feel like an understanding and again adding to my complex complex feelings about Bernthal, because I feel like he has such interesting choices and it is such a just enigmatic figure when it comes to what need Listen is knowing or unknowing or whatever it is, like is so fucking intriguing to me.
Speaker 1: Bernthal spends a lot of time on his pod talking to like vets, Yeah, former special Forces.
Speaker 2: That was a big part of his Punisher leading.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: In this movie he's kind of like the ancient Greece version of the guy he might interview.
Speaker 3: Yep, well let's talk about that, because you're right, it's a lot of this movie they talk about Trojan veterans. There is a big conversation here about how the rich kings and lords abandon the veterans and how there are so many veterans of this Trojan war who essentially were never able to live normal lives again, something that until we're talking about it now, I didn't even realize is another anti War analogous moment that Nolan is saying, look, even three thousand years ago, veterans were forgotten about just as they are now.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: That's this movie is so good, Jason, Like, I was not expecting it.
Speaker 4: It's very very deep. Even the casting is deep. And to say again, like.
Speaker 1: I know that, I'm sure that Universal and Nolan have a million different ways to like avoid the cultural war conversation.
Speaker 4: This is this is a statement in the cultural war this way.
Speaker 3: I know, I kind of love that he's been really good at that where he's just been like, you bitch, just haven't even seen the fucking movie. And I also like, by the way, let's talk about probably the last main cast member we haven't talked about.
Speaker 2: The Queen, zendeya our love. She's amazing.
Speaker 3: She's on scene for a few minutes, uh, you know, realistically and makes so much fucking impact. Again, extremely meta casting and costuming because it's very evocative of June, It's very evocative of you know, perfume Ad Zendeia, but it is utilized the recognizable visage of Zendea and who she is is utilized in this emotionally devastating way.
Speaker 2: That to me is one of the strongest parts of the movie.
Speaker 3: Like I agin think that's a five minute supporting role that you could non for an Oscar In my opinion, I just and I love how Christopher Nolan, even though we have now seen the movie and no she is barely in it because of the nature of her character.
Speaker 2: I love how much he has just backed and been like bitches and there is a fena like fuck you. So I'm enjoying he is.
Speaker 3: I think you're right, like, in general gonna be able to navigate the cultural war aspect because he is Christopher Nolan and he hates that ship and also his universal He's like one of the biggest filmmakers in the world. But I also kind of love that he is being much more upfront about it than your PTA's or your James Guns.
Speaker 2: That's what I really like.
Speaker 1: Well, I think PTA has been pretty upfront.
Speaker 2: But no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: Pta denies at all points that any of that shit is like political, and it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: He where did I see him?
Speaker 1: I saw him somewhere say like that he basically apologized to his kids that this is the world that they handed them.
Speaker 2: Well, that's nice. I agree that he shouldn't do that and you.
Speaker 1: Know, so, you know, listen, it's no mystery to me what that movie is about.
Speaker 2: The movie is the movie.
Speaker 3: I think that Christopher Nolan has preemptively, almost like Jessica Gow did with She Hulk, he cast the movie knowing the conversation it would start, and kind of is like reacting to the response, which.
Speaker 1: I like, well, you know, like, listen, there's a million different story. As we mentioned in a previous episode, there is no sack of Troy in the Odyssey. It's like a line, there's no horse in the in the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Get mad at a historical things, why aren't you mad about the horse?
Speaker 3: And also why aren't you mad about like which order it's in? Like did this he is see the giants first? Or did he see the cyclops? Like if you can that much? But Jason, I want to talk about the Trojan horse because I think that you clocked off.
Speaker 1: Okay, go go, which is one thing. Yeah, it's also striking me that And listen, am I are we reading.
Speaker 4: Too much into Nolan's maybe.
Speaker 1: Casting in his how how apparently like conscious he is of people's public facing characters Charlote Starn has stated in numerous interviews over the last several years how she's single, she's single by choice, that sometimes it's hard to be single, but she can never share her space again with somebody else. She certainly doesn't think that, and that certainly she could never date someone in the entertainment industry. And her character, I mean, it is so hardbreakingly heard. Her character is that it's it's about loneliness.
Speaker 3: It's about loneliness, it's about pain, it's about and I think as well, actually, I mean, even God, you are you break in my mind, Jason, because even the Odysseus storyline for Matt Damon is kind of this, like, what do you do when you were the hero of Hollywood?
Speaker 2: What do you do when you were the boy wander.
Speaker 3: Who wrote allegedly the screenplay for the movie with your best friend? And then you're kind of forced into this world where you're seeing as heroes. But then you know you're trying to go small, it's trying to go independent.
Speaker 2: Like this is kind of blowing my mind.
Speaker 1: Goodwill Hunting is a movie in which Matt Damon Starrs wrote the screenplay with Ben Affleck. As you noted about like a genius, the smartest guy in town. He plays now at age fifty whatever, the smartest guy revered by everyone around. Oh, he was always the smartest. He was the smartest of agnu menlons, generals. That guy had the most tricks. God, he was so smart. What a genius and he's tortured by it.
Speaker 2: I know. I kind of also like, Okay, now we're definitely reading too much into it. Let's go found, are we. I don't know?
Speaker 3: It does lie not because also I kind of love that notion too, because now you know, I don't know. With artists equity, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have tried to kind of change the way the industry works and the way that like workers are treated and go back to this kind of smaller, more personal space where they can kind of one of the people who make the movies that very much feels like where we leave Odysseus compared to the Hollywood success and the kind of horrors of what came after winning an oscar at twenty six and trying to like find your space in that world. I just think there's so many levels to this, and I think it feels to me like a movie that took twenty years to make.
Speaker 2: You know that, And I'm kind of crazy that it.
Speaker 1: Feels when did Oppenheimer came out twenty one? Yeah, I mean it's pretty nuts. Okay, let's take a break and then let's rank our yourp Top Nolan Films, new ranking of Top Nolan films.
Speaker 4: And we're back. Okay, here we go Top Nolan Films.
Speaker 2: Should we go? Why don't we do top top?
Speaker 4: I really want to do you want to do entire ranking.
Speaker 2: If you want to do entire regular, let's just do top.
Speaker 4: Let's do top five.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think it may okay, Okay, top five. I'm gonna start from five. Oh, this is tough for me. There's probably not five.
Speaker 2: Christopher Nolan movies I love.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna start five is gonna be probably I think Batman Begins.
Speaker 2: That was like such a huge movie for me. I really loved it.
Speaker 3: Then it's gonna be Memento, which I do still think is one of his best movies. Then the top three for me, and this top two has always been similar, but it's gonna go three is gonna be the prestige. I still think it's one of his best movies.
Speaker 2: I love that movie. It's so much fun. The reveal is fun. I love Tesla Bowie as Tesla is crazy.
Speaker 3: Two is gonna be my previous favorite Christopher Nolan movie, which is Tenant, which I'm glad to see people are coming around to now. But Crazy, that's crazy and I love it. But undeniable to me, undeniable Number one now is The Odyssey, and I'll probably swing back and forth on it, but to me, this is like everything his career has been leading to, and as a non Christopher Nolan Superstan, this is the movie where I get it, like I feel how every Christopher Nolan bro has felt watching his other movies. I felt that way watching this movie. What's your top five, Jason?
Speaker 1: My top five is starting with number five. Starting with number five, I'm going to go inception. I know that I've heard all the criticisms. I have some of the criticisms, and so it's got banger, Blockbuster's massive plot holes. Obviously, I've someone Justice Kan, Obviously, I've seen like you know, comments from POD's movie Pods being like it's a dumb person's idea of a smart person's movie.
Speaker 4: I don't didn't necessary.
Speaker 2: I disagree with any of that.
Speaker 1: I just think it is so fucking stylishly done, and that whether or not when you take out the magnifying glass and and examine the seams, whether all the seams line up or not, it was an experience in the movie theater that fucking floored me. Now, unlike my spoiler by new number one, the honesty, the more I thought about it, the kind of like less I found like about it. But I still think it's a fantastic movie experience. Number four. Oh God, okay, Batman begins. Yeah, I just think.
Speaker 5: I remember I remember seeing it.
Speaker 4: I remember seeing it.
Speaker 1: I remember I was working as a waiter and we were going to a gig at the Museum of Art in Philadelphia the way Rocky runs up mm hmm the skoy One of the waiters, you know, they're busting us in from New York, and one of the waiters was like, have you seen Batman.
Speaker 2: Mcgin's was like, I haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you know Batman. I'm kind of like tapped down on it.
Speaker 1: He's like, m hmm, go see it now. It is everything you exactly, And that's what it was like. It was everything I wanted Batman to be number four the Dark Knight. I just it's I don't know, it's so quotable. If if I see it on cable, I'll watch it.
Speaker 3: I've watched it so many times at this point, I just can't.
Speaker 2: It's it's so complicated to me. But it is amazing.
Speaker 1: I think that, you know, Heath Ledgers on another level, obviously influenced.
Speaker 4: The character across media in a way that we've.
Speaker 1: Never seen any comic book character be influenced by a movie depiction in that powerfully.
Speaker 3: Not him that order either, like obviously seeing Samuel Jackson get aped for the Universe, you know, like Ultimates and then he became, but that was the other way round. This is it Ledja being so influential that he changed the comics and movies.
Speaker 2: And I mean think even about Gotham, the Joker.
Speaker 3: They did there was so heavily influenced, even the the Barry Ko and Joker that we saw for the moment, even just that second in Batman so visually influenced. You know, it was, Yeah, you're right, and it's it's it's a seminal movie.
Speaker 1: So what did I say, I'm going tenant not begin oh no, sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I went inception Batman begins, Dark Knight Rises. Number two is Dunkirk.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 1: I think just in many ways, Dunkirk is like the training Wheels for the artists.
Speaker 2: And Proto Odyssey. Yeah, I just find it.
Speaker 3: I find war movies so hard to watch, like, I just really struggle.
Speaker 2: But it is amazing.
Speaker 4: It's kind of.
Speaker 1: Again, it is his, it is his attempted an anti war movie.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's a movie about people escaping from a battle, not necessarily fighting in it.
Speaker 4: It's a movie that.
Speaker 1: Centers just regular people within a massive military conflict.
Speaker 4: And the editing style, the way you don't know where you are in the.
Speaker 3: Kind of like the one short element trying to make it all see one Shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, maiece. And then finally The Odyssey. For everything we said, I just think the Odyssey is and obviously like fucking incredible.
Speaker 3: Could there be Recncy bias made? Yes, I don't think, like to me, to me, I was watching that ship on the Imax and was I Imax maxing, Yes, I was, guys, was me and Jason five verse from the front, Yes, but it was actually I have to say, very enjoyable, but like guys, I can't explain to you, as a nerdy person who loves the IMAX, to watch an entire movie in Imax, no ratio change, no jump.
Speaker 2: This is something we never seen before.
Speaker 3: I was on that boat and Poseidon was punishing them, and I was being punished like I'm not gonna lie. I think this movie would bang in forty X. I think it would be incredible, but I think my bag would be I would be well, okay, finally, let's let's talk about that, because I have to say personally, I did not think that the runtime felt too heavy for me at two minutes and fifty three, which I thought I would be dreading, but actually it felt pretty breezy. I loved I love out of continuity, like weird out, like our House kind of storytelling, and this definitely leans into that heavy Were there any moments, Jason where you.
Speaker 2: Were kind of like, speed it up. I'd put this on one point five speed.
Speaker 4: There was a couple.
Speaker 1: There was like a few moments that I thought I noted to myself, Oh, it's kind of dragging some of the late Penelope stuff.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, the late.
Speaker 2: And to Ninus or whatever is.
Speaker 1: True, A little pillery, little pillery calypso stuff, but but so minor.
Speaker 3: I like you, I did not feel it and I did not feel it man. And I also want to say, guys, one of my last recommendations for this movie is you ever wanted to see Christopher Nolan do like a horror movie, then watch this baby, because there is some.
Speaker 2: Scary ass shit in here. That my biggest takeaway.
Speaker 3: And I love this because I love the idea that Chrispinolan is just a movie.
Speaker 2: Fan, which we know he is.
Speaker 3: I've really felt like he had watched a lot of Eggers and a lot of VILLAINU Denis that I was just like, I feel like, there's so much June in this, and there's so much Yeah, there's so much Eggers in this, but in a way that's so much better in my opinion, Like the the detail of the spaces and costumes and all of the stuff that Eggers does is there. But there is this warmness and this unafraidness to have these tough conversations, the Circy sequence, which is a pure body horror sequence. And also I love Samantha Morton again incredible casting, because that is a woman who has brought up.
Speaker 2: In foster system.
Speaker 3: She has constantly lived outside of traditional culture. She has lived outside of Hollywood culture. She was blacklisted for speaking out, and they cast her as a witch who is a fucking outcast on an island, who has to constantly deal with men trying to come and take trip from her, like it's so fucking real.
Speaker 2: And then they give her this incredible.
Speaker 3: Cathartic, horrifying moment that they then, in a shocking twist, in my opinion, Nolan and through Odysseus give her grace. Jason, there is grace for her.
Speaker 2: At the end.
Speaker 3: It's so good, and that would be my final unexpected wreck. Is there something you would pull from this that you would tell a non Nolan fan this is the reason you have to go see it.
Speaker 1: Ah, I would say, because, as we mentioned in a previous Nolan centric conversation, every single Nolan movie, whether you like it or not. And there's some Nolan movies that I don't like. I'm not as big on the prestigious others.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'm not.
Speaker 1: You know Memento, the last third of the movie, I was really disappointed.
Speaker 3: But it's very like if you've seen another House movie, you can guess by former.
Speaker 4: Event, but.
Speaker 1: Every single Nolan film has these indelible moments where you're just wow. Even Tennett, which I did not like, has two or three moments where you're just like wow. And this movie probably has four or five moments where you're just like wow.
Speaker 4: It's just as pure movie magic.
Speaker 3: There's moments in this where you go, oh, fuck, I've never seen that before.
Speaker 2: And that's the magic. Baby, Yeah, that's the magic of movies.
Speaker 1: Well, on the next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into more House of the Dragon and the biggest news stories of the week.
Speaker 4: That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 4: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wax.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi Our discord moderator