Speaker 1: You've actually used your characters to almost hold a mirror to society, to challenge to question like I look at the description that you have the very deep divide in America right now between America and America.
Speaker 2: I love America. I love the promise of America. I think America is the light on the hill. Merca, on the other hand, has a lot of issues, you know, Mirca's where division comes, is where hatred comes. Where we're separated, is where we don't come together, is where people get in bubbles. It's where they divide and all those things. But America is the thing that we should always be shooting forward.
Speaker 3: Today we're sitting down with Larry Wilmore, a comedy legend who's storytelling not only makes us laugh but challenges us to see the world differently. But today we're seeing a whole new side of him because he's joined by someone who knows him better than anyone, his daughter, Laurene Wilmore. Larry opens up about career setbacks, fatherhood, and the power of believing in yourself even when no one else does, and why humor just might be the secret to surviving at all. It's insightful, inspiring, and just the right dels of fun that we all desperately need right now. This is My Legacy, host it by me Andrea Warters King, alongside my husband Martin Luther King the Third and our good friends Mark and Craig Kilberger. Let's dive in.
Speaker 1: Welcome to My Legacy today. We are truly privileged to welcome a creative visionary. Larry Wilmore is an Emmy winning writer, producer, actor, comedian, and host whose brilliant work has shaped some of the most beloved and groundbreaking shows on television, from The Bernie Mac Show to Insecure to Grownish.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: What makes our podcast so unique and unexpected is we don't just meet extraordinary individuals, We meet the people who know them best. And Larry has brought along his amazingly talented daughter, Lauren. And so, Larry, we're thrilled your with us here today, and could you kick us off by giving us the honor of introducing to us Lauren.
Speaker 2: Thank you thanks for having me here. When I first saw this invitation, I'm like, wait, I get to do a podcast with my daughter? Are you giving me so? I want everyone to me my wonderful daughter, Lauren. He Elanie Wilmore. She is such a great, great person inside it out, and it's such a joy to have her join us on this show.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: And let's just say she has the best hair.
Speaker 2: That I have seen.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: You look marvelous, darling.
Speaker 2: She's got hair stories, She's got a lot of hair story.
Speaker 5: But I love rocking the frow Like, yeah, it's been a long journey to get here, but now I am happily rocking the fro every day.
Speaker 1: On behalf of the guys walking on a show. To Larry, he looks great.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, yes, oh you know how long it takes to get it like this alone?
Speaker 3: Now, Larry, who our origin story is so important to all of us and who raised us had a phenomenal impact, good, bad, or indifferent. Now, you grew up the middle child of six kids in California, but your family has roots in the Midwest. Yes, and so I'm really curious, I'm sure our listeners are. Who would you consider the most influential person of your childhood?
Speaker 2: Of course, you know, my parents very influential in different ways. You know, my parents got divorced when I was young, but I was able to get different things from both parents, sometimes in different ways. You know, my mom went through a lot, you know, she really dealt with a lot of emotional issues, but there was a strength about her and a resilience about her that I really admired, you know, even going through it. And my dad was a person who it seemed like he just kept his own ideas about himself when he was out in the world, like the world didn't affect him. And he was a civil servant. He worked, he was a probation officer at a time, and it wasn't easy for black people who you know, working those kinds of jobs. But he always had a sense of humor about it, and I always admired the way he treated people. I also grew up at a time when your neighborhood kind of raised you. Our next door neighbors were very important to raising us. We called them Bebie and Uncle Henry were their names. There were an older couple from Texas had all that homespun old school like knowledge and everything like she made peach jam and candidate. You know. It was that type of growing up, and we all had fruit trees in our backyards. But the last part of it was I was so lucky. I had influential teachers who at certain points in my life were just there at the right time, and there was a thread through some of my most important teachers. They always appreciated individuality, uniqueness, it's okay to be different, you know. And one of the biggest ones of that, I'll say briefly, was my seventh grade teacher. He and his wife are from Peru. I went to Catholic school. They were the late teachers there, and he saw that I was like making jokes and stuff like during school, me and my friends, and he came to me going said, he said, Okay, Larry, here's the thing. I'm gonna make a deal with you. After lunch, there's like fifteen minutes when I'm trying to get everybody's attention and all that stuff. You can have that as a joke time, okay, and you could get up and do whatever you went in front of the class. And I was like, Okay, that sounds fantastic, he says, but in return, I don't want to hear a peep out of you for the rest of the day. And I'm like, you're done. That's a fantastic deal. Are you kidding me? And he was so influential. In fact, I remember he gave us a math question that he said, nobody can figure this out. If you do, I'll make I'll cook you a steak dinner. Of course my brain went stop. I figured it out, and sure enough he and his wife invited me into their home cooked me a steak dinner. I'll never forget that teacher was so influential, how he dealt with students and inspired us. He used to play the guitar every day in class. It's just great, mister and missus Rebello. Yeah, they were awesome, just the best teachers ever. So teachers, family, you know, and neighbors and neighbors community.
Speaker 1: Maybe someone on social might want to shout out to their favorite teacher and love and put it out there in the universe.
Speaker 6: Larry, absolutely.
Speaker 3: And now, Lauren, how did you see the values your dad grew up with influence the way that he parented you and your brother.
Speaker 5: You know, it's so interesting When he was saying teachers and family, I was like, that is such a theme in my life so many people. First of all, many people in my family are teachers on both sides. And I'm an actor, but my day job is teaching Mandarin to kids. And I also have so many teachers that have influenced me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the sidebar.
Speaker 2: A quick dad, like she also teaches French. That's just but.
Speaker 5: I have so many teachers that have influenced me as well. And part of what inspired me to become a teacher was knowing how much your life can change from one good teacher who sees you and values you and helps nudge you along your path. And also the importance of family, especially since twenty twenty. Like, we've all just been really clinging on to our family the past five years, and we've lost a lot of family members, but it has really brought all of us closer and we've just really been finding as many ways as possible to just like support each other and all of that throughout this time. So, yeah, those two You happen to mention those two values, and I think those are big themes in my life.
Speaker 3: That apple didn't fall far from the tree.
Speaker 7: So, Lauren, your dad's known for certainly sharp humor and ability to challenge perspectives through comedy. Oh, he certainly is a big deal in Hollywood. What what's something you and your brother maybe tease him about that reminds you that.
Speaker 1: He's just dad.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It's so funny because I was thinking about this and I was like, what don't we.
Speaker 4: Tease him about?
Speaker 5: But also what doesn't he tease us about? You know that, Like it's a lot of mutual teasing in our household. There's just always this back and forth of silliness and goofiness. And I think one thing that and feel free if you think of anything Dad. But a lot of times if he does a joke that I feel like goes a little too far, I'll give him two thumbs down and he's always like, whoa, I oh, no, two thumbs down. I feel he'd probably use it anyway. But that's a fun little thing that I do. I don't know, can you think of anything?
Speaker 2: I was a mention that Lauren is great because I can see how far I'm being provocative thumbs up or thumbs downs. You know, when I get two thumbs down, I'm like, oh, I'm touching a nerve here.
Speaker 3: Well, I think all all children have that. I know our daughter certainly keeps us, keeps us on edge, and keeps us honest with her opinion even when we don't ask at all, and even with all of the humor. One of the things that I think is interesting that well, first of all, comedians tend to live longer, which yet, oh you did not know that. Yeah, so I think like Lauren.
Speaker 2: Told me that when when she was younger, she said, Dad, people that laugh live longer, So you're life.
Speaker 5: Yes, My brother and I would say that we're like our dad saves lives for a living because he makes people laugh and.
Speaker 3: It's and it's so healing, you know, to have that, that laughter and humor. And I do know though that sometimes on the other side of that with comedians, you know, there's also this deep sense of kind of carrying all of that as well. Do you do you find that? And what do you go to if you do for your own solace?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, who knows the reasons why you want to make people laugh. I remember working with the great Bernie Mack and he told me the story of his mom and you know, she passed away when he was a teenager, and the way that she was very sick and he so wanted to make her laugh. It meant so much to him, you know, and the desire and the intensity and the passion that he had to do that carried into his professional life. But that's where it started, you know. And for me and my brother, we spent a lot of our childhood here and our parents' fight, you know, and you know they're around the way to divorce, and we would spend our time going to sleep making each other laugh, you know, and we used to have We used to call it make me laugh, you know, who could do the funniest thing. But that was our that was in the background of you know, that was our background noise for that, you know. And it was always for us. It was It wasn't conscious. It was just our way, I guess, even as children of just coping with that. But the but the joy, we had a certain joy in it. It wasn't it wasn't covering up anything. There was a real joy in it. And I still have to this day. I really enjoy making people laugh, you know. It's it's just something that has been there from the beginning. People would always ask me and said, Larry, how did you get into comedy? And I said, I'll be honest with you, I'm in showbiz to get comedy out of me, you know. I mean, if I worked in a bank, I'd still be making people laugh. I just wouldn't last very long, you know, so, But but that's why it's that's you know, that's my connection to that. You know, it's my relationship to the world. You know, we're so grateful, Larry.
Speaker 7: You've certainly had many ups and downs in your career, for sure. Often the most important lessons that we learn come from our challenging times. Can you share what has been most challenging experience and what has been emerged from that experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had many of them. Many times people think your career is just this line that goes like that, but it really isn't. Some of my biggest ones was I was fired from the Bernie mac Show after I won every word you could possibly win, and I was in a fight with the network the whole time, and it was just one of my lowest points, and you know, I was, you know, my personal life wasn't going to well at the time too. You know, we're trying to my wife and I were trying to figure out what was going on, and I just felt so isolated and just just really really down. But I just relied on just doing the basics. You know. We spent a lot of time at that point. You know, learn doesn't know about a lot of these things. But we just worked on our marriage for a long time and doing the work of that just really helped, you know, we just it gets you out of the thinking about bad things, you know, and remembering what I liked the business and going forward. Getting fired from the Burner Max Show actually opened the door to me working on the office, to me being on the Daily Show, to me expanding the things that I wanted to do all along. But you know I didn't. I was going down that road, and it was very instrumental for me to be to feel so low emotionally, but to know that I had love around me. You know, I had support, guys you have. It was amazing the outpouring of love of support just from show biz, from luminaries, people like James L. Brooks. I remember Stephen Boschko reached out to me people I didn't even know, saying it's okay, Larry, we're with you, hanging in there. You're great. You know, the work you're doing is great. Let alone from friends. But the most important thing was family. And even when my wife and I split, when we were talking to the kids, we both understood how lucky we were to have a family that had love first, you know. And you know, even though you could be going through difficult times making difficult decisions, if you start there you can make you'll be okay in the end. You know. That's always been my lifeboat. His family. Family's always the lifeboat, you know, and all the other stuff is around there and love first.
Speaker 1: I love that family is the lifeboat.
Speaker 3: When we come back. Lauren shares what her father tells her daily. M H, welcome back to my legacy with the hilarious Larry Wilmore and his brilliant daughter, Lauren.
Speaker 1: Lauren Learry just gave a beautiful tribute to the role that you and family played in his life. Was there a time that you were going through a unique challenge and your dad's advice, wisdom or maybe even just comedic laughter helped.
Speaker 6: Get you through it?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think for me, just the past five years since COVID have definitely been the hardest of five years and for so many reasons. And Dad has I mean, he's always said, first of all, I'm proud of you every day of your life. That has always been something that he said to both John and I and that I always knew he was cheering me on, and then when I moved back to New York and started like really for real pursuing acting like it's I mean, it's rough out here, but like I can always talk to him about it, and he's always just giving me little bits of advice and you know, sharing his stories, and I because i've I.
Speaker 4: Was listening to.
Speaker 5: Some of the episodes, and I think on the David O Yellowow episode, he mentioned you have to see it to be it, And that's what I saw in both of my parents that I knew from a young age that if I wanted to do show business it would be hard, but that it would be possible because I saw that they did it and that they had to work their butts off, but that they made it happen. And so yeah, I think one of the most helpful things has just been his cheerleading and his support this whole time, like whatever you need, I got you, Like that's always been his energy for both me and for my brother as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: It was very sweet for your dad. And I want to say we should have bite Lauren ba because she listened to the previous episodes and did I shut up to I like her.
Speaker 4: I am a student first before everything.
Speaker 6: Sure, thank you for perfect so well?
Speaker 1: And Bart, did you listen to the previous episodes.
Speaker 2: I'm the teacher and.
Speaker 4: Making notes.
Speaker 3: I know there has not been one conversation that we've had that I haven't been inspired by. And I hope that that you got that same gift as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, for sure.
Speaker 3: Now, Larry, I know that it's hard to select just one project that you would be most proud of outside of your beautiful children. But is there one that you felt particularly was significant because of how many obstacles or setbacks that you had to overcome to make it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I probably go back to the Burning Mac show, you know, to quote from Dickens, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, you know. So it took me. I'll tell this story real quick. It took I was in an office where I had like an overall deal with Disney that had expired, but I was still going to the office, just waving at the guard getting left and just kind of hiding out. Guys, I'm not exad. For four and a half weeks, I never turned in anything or something. I wrote the same three pages every day, I could not get past page three. This is four and a half weeks. You know, I'm gonna get found out. You know, they're gonna realize I'm frau. I'm scared. Every day now, I'm hiding in my office all the time. I just couldn't get it. Some days I didn't write anything, banging my head against the wall. And then one day I was I looked up and I was on page four, and I was like, oh, and something had clicked, and it just poured out of me the entire show in thirty six hours. I couldn't stop writing. It was and it was during the counting of the votes down in Florida with you remember Bush in that election that I was watching that as I'm as I'm typing, and that script ended up winning an Emmy, you know, a year and a half later and almost intact from that moment, and I just had clarity in that moment, you know, I just it took so hard to get it, but it just took trust. I was so out of myself for doing that and just sticking in there, because there could have been many moments, I mean, when you're feeling really low, especially as a creative person and you feel all alone, you know, and everyone's going to judge something you're doing is terrible. I mean, you're going through all the worst things that every writer has. You feel that way anyway, It doesn't matter what the project is you you know, finally everybody's going to find out that the piece of crap that I already know that I am, you know. But when I when I broke through, I was so proud of the fact that I stuck in there and it became like a template for other writers and that sort of thing, you know, And so I was very proud of that moment.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, congratulations the area.
Speaker 8: That's a phenomenal story and just an amazing moment of inspiration.
Speaker 6: Lord, I'm going to turn it back over to you. We love your energy.
Speaker 8: You have captured us here on this conversation, and you can see why you've been sincerely. You can see why you've been so successful in theater, including your roles with classical Shakespeare to musical theater and so much in between.
Speaker 6: And I can't believe you teach Mandarin?
Speaker 4: Now, what.
Speaker 6: Did you say Mandarin? Just before you tell us?
Speaker 5: Oh, I was just like, Hey, if anyone out there speaks Mandarin, let me know if you think I speak well, and like, I don't know what I should say.
Speaker 2: I'll have to brag and Lauren real quick. Lauren was in love with the movie Frozen. You know, it really hit her at a time in her life. Really fair.
Speaker 4: I was like, you know, fifteen, nothing to apologize for it.
Speaker 3: But she.
Speaker 2: Took that song and she like let it go translated into like twenty different okay.
Speaker 5: So so I didn't translate it, but I gathered all the translate because you know, Disney movies get translated out of like a million languages, and I made a version where each line was a different language, and then I like learned it and that was like my party trip.
Speaker 6: Okay, can you give us, give us, give us a line or two.
Speaker 8: I've got to uh to two girls who are just frozen, uh door frozen, so they're big Ana fans. So can you just this is from my daughters.
Speaker 4: Daja han libraso, libraso no mad on. That was Korean and the Spanish. Forgive the Korean.
Speaker 3: I do not speak Korean, fantastic, but that was Korean inspira.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel like Lauren's stealing the show, so I feel like we gotta give a litle question. You have played so many iconic roles you obviously, among the most iconic is the very sarcastic, hilarious senior Black senior Black correspondent of course from The Daily Show. Can you bring us some of your favorite memories from those from those show?
Speaker 2: Fans so many, you know, just working with all soundented people. I was just so lucky to be there. I mean I started right after John Oliver started writing rob Rego and also Momby. We all kind of started at the same time. You know. My audition was was funny because it wasn't quite an audition, but I met with John and we had talked about doing something because that's when I was looking to start kind of performing again. I was in that transition point and we thought it would be something fun. We weren't quite sure. They thought, well, maybe you're like a black Republican. I was like, no, I don't want to just be anti South them. And then someone said senior Black hors final and that just sounded really funny. And so what they says, we'll write two things and we'll just do them. You know, we'll take we'll tape one and we'll do the other one in the show. And so we wrote them. And when you're trying to find it, you're not sure what you are or what that type of thing, you tend to overwrite it. And I remember during rehearsal. Rehearsal went horrible. I mean as a comedian, especially as a performer. It was just too overridden and nobody's laughing, and it's that point where the crew isn't kind of looking at you because the thing, you know, it's like it's like how you don't name certain farm animals because they might be food one day, so you don't want to get too close to them, you know, like so making sure they're not gonna get too close to me. You know, this guy, he may not stick around, and you can just feel that you're not connecting. And so I was kind of down. And then I found out, you know, before air, that they were gonna cut one of the pieces we were playing. I'm like, well, I'm not going to be on this show. And then they decided to do one piece, and right before air, John goes through this rewrite and he says he brought me and he said, hey, man, let's just go through this and he said, let's just put it, just talk it through, and I really just put it in my voice and I'm working off of John and we're doing it like that, and we really got it tight. And right before we went on, I was sitting there and he said, hey man, I was a little numbers. She said, just look in the camera and just f and give it to America. That's what he took me. And I was like, okay. And so the first joke, huge laugh and as now my comedian in seems are taken over, like okay, this is like I got you guys now, and it's like dam bam bam. Now the crew is likes a brother now, you know, the crew is like where did this guy get When did he sneak in the door? You know? And I'll never forget that. I'll never forget John's generosity knowing that I needed a little boost at that time and just saying, hey man, don't worry about this, just you know what you're doing. You know, it was so nice too.
Speaker 7: So Lauren, you know you've watched your dad navigate Hollywood and said he taught you a lot about resilience. What is one of the most important pieces of vice that he's given you in terms of navigating through.
Speaker 5: I think this just for life, not even just for you know, being in in show business. But he always said to John and I, you don't have to be the best, you have to be your best. And that stuck with me because I am a recovering perfectionist and you know, like just knowing that it wasn't and that kind of takes off the energy of competition as well of having to beat other people out for something, but just focusing on living up to your potential and shining your light as opposed to trying to dim someone else's so that you can get to the top. I mean that applies to just everything ever in life, but certainly in show business. And I've really come to understand that more the past couple of years that I've been here in New York and finding my community here and my friends, and we're all just constantly lifting each other up because that's the only way to you know, that's the only.
Speaker 6: Way to live.
Speaker 4: You can't be always trying to push other people down.
Speaker 3: When we come back, Larry shares the Oscar speech that had him in tears.
Speaker 1: Now back to my legacy with Larry Wilmore and his daughter Lauren.
Speaker 7: As the father of a sixteen year old daughter, we hope that we get it right most of the times, but there are those times. Is there a piece of advice that you think was not so good that your dad.
Speaker 5: I'm sure there was, but like I probably was just like, Okay, throw that out and pressed on with my life, you know, like I'm sure there have been, but I genuinely nothing really comes to mind, because I think I just kind of hold on to the gold nuggets and.
Speaker 2: That didn't.
Speaker 4: But also I will say, I mean.
Speaker 5: Talking about being a nerd, that is another legacy thing from my dad, you know, like not only valuing education, but like embracing just like learning stuff always I'm always seeking out knowledge and and I think that was something that I saw my dad do, just chasing little passion, you know, whether for him, whether it's magic or space, Like he was always super interested in space.
Speaker 4: And and language is a little bit you know, like you know, you still know a little bit of Japanese.
Speaker 3: Right, and you're talking about earlier seeing it to to to see it so you can be it. And I just can't help but just be delighted when I think about too. You know, all children, but particularly black children, black little girls, to see this beautiful woman with her afro, you know, speaking perfect Mandarin and how what kind of doors and that opens in their mind. I just I just think is magnificent.
Speaker 5: I have a couple black students, and I always tell them that people will be shocked and then delighted that you speak Mandarin. Yes, you know, both here in the States and also I did a semester in China, and I mean, people are floored.
Speaker 4: They're just like, what what what what? And then they're thrilled.
Speaker 5: They're so happy that you've learned this language because they weren't expecting that of you, which is unfortunate that but it's it's I really try to be that for them, to show them that this is possible for you.
Speaker 3: But we have our daughter is she's fluent in Spanish, and so she's at international school and and speaking since she was learning since kindergarten, and so it was interesting even in elementary school. We all went to Spain and she was helping us navigate through the airport right in this perfect Spanish. And it was interesting because it took people like a few minutes, like a few moments to wait like it wasn't. They were buffering, like, wait a minute, here's this little black girl with curly hair and she's speaking perfect Spanish with no accident, and they kept saying like, what what is this?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And then where did you learn? You know? So you know, I, you know, I think that's that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: I love that story. You know. It's also like teaching our kids, especially our young black kids, that they can be children of the world too. You know, they don't you know, that they can engage with the world, And it's such a powerful thing for them to learn at a young age that there's more than just than just right here in front of you. There's this whole world that's out there that you can engage with.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, when you think about the fact that Martin Luther King Junior's last book, Where do We Go from Here, Chaos or Commute Unity, the very last chapter in that book is the World House. So it was incredibly important for us for our child to be to understand and see the world from that that global perspective. Absolutely, And I love Lauren what you said too about the I want to go back to what you said about being in competition, because one of the things that we talk about a lot is that that we tell our daughters that champions create and amateurs compete, you know, so like I'm writing that down, amateurs compete and in that kind of idea, your father, Larry, you have opened so many doors. It's to me one of yours. The most powerful parts of your legacy is how you've used your influence to open doors for black women in television and spaces where we've historically been shut out, creating shows like Insecure, which was a must watch, you know, and Sunday Nights and you know for a lot of black women with ter Ray and Grownish, and it's ensued that black stories are told by the people that are living them. And then Quentin Brunton, I'm looking down because I want to make sure that I get her her words exactly what she said. But she's the creator and star of the hugely popular, very funny series abviod Elementary, and she credited you in her Emmy acceptance speech and for teaching her how to write great television. And then you post it and these are your words. Ver Vadim. I was crying because Quentin Bernson won, but not ready for the shout out and now I'm blubvering congrat I was, what did that moment mean to you, not just as a mentor, but as someone who's worked so hard to make sure that these voices are heard.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate the question. I'm so flatterfy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I always took that road seriously and intentionally from the beginning. I always realized that, you know, there's an opportunity here to do something important for us in the business, and if I can help to open doors. Always my joke was, look, if I can open the door, I'll put my foot there and I'll just say come on through as many people can come them through while it's open. So it's been an intentional philosophy. But the first thing I was very concerned in the nineties, when I was working in television at how number one, how black writers were treated. They were always put into a different category, and black shows were always thought of funny, but they didn't get respect. And I'll never forget my friend Janine Sherman, who's top producer. Now we're working on the Jamie Fox Show. She said, how come there's no like black Seinfeld, you know, or something like that, meaning a show that was considered a smart black show, not just funny but smart and was worthy of getting worse. And I said, well, Jannine, because you haven't written it yet, and she's like, oh, And then I was like, wait a minute, I haven't written it yet either, you know. And I remember having that moment. I thought I have to be responsible for raising the bar and you know that turn black excellence as used now, But then I was just thinking of excellence and making sure that we were being regarded in the same ways with that type of respect, and I took that into the PJS, you know, so that my friends who worked on the Simptons and that thought of the pj's just as worthy as that of those types of shows we like were Emmy nominated things like that, Bernie Macshaw, Juan Emmys, you know, on Critics Award, you know. So I've been very fortunate that the shows I've been on also have to be reckoned with on an artistic level and not just being funny, and at the same time to present us on screen where I call who's controlling the narrative of us, you know, and it's how important it is for us to control the narrative and to me low in that total poll was the black woman on television in many different ways. You know, God blessed Sean the Rhymes, you know, for helping that too. But I realized what I I met Lisa that premium television. I'm always looking to put something on TV that's not there before, you know, so like Bernie Mac show that wasn't on there before, for a black show to be that style, you know, someone breaking the fourth wall, you know. I kind of used French New Wave of as inspiration for how I did that. Insecure is a little different. I'm like, no one's telling the stories of Black women as full grown women, you know, who have agency and what's their story in the world, what's the black girls? You know, that type of thing. So it was important for me. It wasn't just trying to do a show. It was important for me I having those conversations with Lisa and really focusing on that character and how important it was for that character to be on HBO, not just on the networks, but on HBO premium cable. So being in certain spaces are the things I've targeted too, not just getting on TV, but being in a premium space and getting the certain type of attention, getting certain types of awards. And when I was developing with Quintum, I first found quentin was on the Nightly Show when I was doing that show, and I discovered she was brilliant, and so I brought her into the network when I was over Disney to develop with her. And they were like, who is this Kinta? What's her name?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And we sold a show to CBS with her and Jermaine Fowler, and I really, she remembers, I really was trying to imparton her how important voice was. I said, I knew Quinta with the skill of writing very easily, but for me, the lesson was about voice. How do you get your voice on that page and sticking up for things. And our show didn't go, but I gave her the freedom to put the character on the page that she felt passionately about and that was the lesson there too, because what are you representing at the end of the day when you're on that screen. I still remember the show Julia with Dian Carroll Marco. Push this woman on screen representing something I hadn't seen on TV before, this black woman. She was a single woman, she was smart, she was intelligent, she had to be reckoned with as a character you could not dismiss easily, you know, and that meant something to me at that time.
Speaker 3: So Julia inspired my mom. My mom was the first black nurse in her small town in live Oke, Florida, Swanna County, Florida. And it was seeing Julia on TV, seeing her, you know, seeing that she was a nurse and how she you know, obviously done, Carol was beautiful, but you know that, So how how that impacted her and inspired her and you know open doors for you know, for my family, you know, to this day.
Speaker 2: M H.
Speaker 3: Lauren, your dad has accomplished so much in his career, But what makes you the most proud not just for those accomplishments, but who he is as a human being.
Speaker 6: Mmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One thing is what we were just talking about, that the way he has brought people with him, and particularly black women. I'm I'm always trying to tell people this because I feel like, because you're so humble, Dad, that people don't really know that necessarily if they're not like really researching who was it that got that person in that room, because it's such a behind the scenes thing. But that's something that I've always been very proud of, and yeah, and just that you've always kind of stayed true to yourself. It's been kind of an interesting journey because dad has been, you know, doing show business since before I was born, but he became more in front of the camera when I was in about high school and that's when like people started being able to just like recognize him on the street, and that was kind of a different vibe from like my childhood. But even with that, I feel like you just haven't like changed as a person or anything. You know, like you're still putting the work first and putting other people first, like it's not all about me and me, which I think happens to a lot of people in show business.
Speaker 4: So I think that's something else that I'm very proud of.
Speaker 1: And I love that descript should because Larry, I think it hasn't been about You've actually used your characters to almost hold a mirror to society, to challenge to question. Like I look at the description that you had the very deep divide in America right now, between America and America America.
Speaker 6: Breath.
Speaker 2: You did really good, but okay, but we need that.
Speaker 6: Can you can you explain though a little bit difference.
Speaker 2: I love America. I love the promise of America. I think America is the light on the hill. Merca, on the other hand, has a lot of issues, you know. Merca's where division comes, is where hatred comes. Where we're separated, is where we don't come together. Is where people get in bubbles, It's where they divide and all those things. But America is the thing that we should always be shooting for, that that perfection of an idea that unites people that isn't tribal, you know, it's it is the freedom of express russion, you know, all these things, freedom of speech, you know, the you know, the ability to be a unique person in the world and not be threatened by government has never happened before, you know. But Monica tends to threaten those things in different ways, you know. And so I did a show early this year where I made that distincion through a show where I did both political commentary and magic tricks, which a lot of people didn't know that I didn't magic.
Speaker 1: So grab that second cup of coffee because you won't want to miss a moment.
Speaker 3: Now back to my legacy with Larry Wilmore and his daughter.
Speaker 1: Lauren, So We all have been friends for years, the four of us here, but we recently wrote a book. We talked a lot about the disconnection. We talked about the solution being the blood community, but the disconnection frankly and American around the world. So when you look at that division.
Speaker 2: Hmm, do you have hope or what gives you hope? Well, I'm a hopeful person, but I'm a realist too. Look, I was very influenced by you know, doctor King. I mean, here's a man that understood that division. He relied on America to get us out of the worst instincts of America, you know. I mean it's very people don't realize, they don't appreciate today how revolutionary not a non violent approach actually is. You know, because we allow oppress people to fight back everywhere in the world, why was it not allowed here? What's the difference? You know? Why? You know we we expected everywhere in the world, why did we not expect it here? You know? So there was a bigger idea that he was working at, and that idea was the promise of something that people actually had an agreement upon. It just hadn't been cashed in yet. As your dad said, the promisory note is the way that he put it, you know, and that is inspirational, and it's aspirational. It's different, it's a different thing when you're doing that, and that's how you that's how you bring people into something as opposed to you get something. You know, you want to bring people together. You're not just trying to get something. Whenever I talk about when I'm talking to young people about show is, I say, look, let me give you here's the best advice I can give you when you're in the business. But you could use this in any business. Don't look at it as something you could get something out of. Look at it as something you could put something into. What's the contribution you can make that is a unique contribution because you can't lose with that. You're going to lose eventually when you're trying to get something out of something. You know, maybe I can get this, or maybe I can extract this, don't extract make a deposit. You know's the what's the thing of value that I'm putting into this the contribution? And that's what your dad did. You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that is interesting that you talked about oppressed people because one of the things that he said was the greatness of America is the right to promote for rights for rights, you know, So that was foundational to all of his work, and you know why he did what he did. And you know, right now though, we're seeing an all out attack really on diversity, equity and inclusion, and it's hard not to think about your role as mister Brown, the diversity educator on the office, you know, a character who's trying to cut through both the workplace absurdity and the uncomfortable, unspoken realities of the racial bias. You did a brilliant job I think, you know, bringing that into the conversation. But looking at where we are today twenty years from that role, are we any father ahead or does it feel like we're falling father behind?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's always a difficult question to ask. In some aspects, you always are. In some aspects you have to keep your eye on it. You know, there's a you know, many times we have to separate something that feels like a program or a prescription for something versus what's happening in the culture, and keeping your eye on the culture. What's a political movement, but what's a cultural movement? What's a political change, what's a cultural change? You know, the culture actually is moving forward, but there's been a political change where it's trying to be a check on that culture moving forward. And so we're at an inflection point right now, you know, And that's why it feels very intense, you know. But it's rare that culture goes backwards. It's very rare. Sometimes it goes forward in a way that isn't necessarily good, you know, but it's still kind of moving forward. So it's up to us to steer that and be stewards and be mindful of the ways in which it is tumbling forward, you know, because bad actors are always all around for you know, things that are self serving that you know, we have to be a check on. So and I don't look so when I look at DEI to me, I'm not concerned about DEEI. You know, I'm more concerned about freedom and that sort of thing. If we're going to use letters, give me the F. That big F is a bigger concern to my Somebody wanted me to ask some questions about BIPOC, you know, and I said, look, guys, I'm only concerned about the bee right now. You guys could be concerned about the ipack. Okay, I got enough. I got enough issues trying to work with the bee at this point. You know, so we're going to separate letters. I don't get too concerned in the micro. I'm more concerned about the macro, you know, and fighting those fights. If that answers the question.
Speaker 3: So it has already been established, Lauren, that we're gonna get you and our daughter together so that you can talk to her about many us please, But until that happens, I want to ask you a question on behalf of her. Who again, she's sixteen years old, Yolanda, if you could go back to your sixteen year old self, what is the one thing that you what you would tell her?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 4: Because and I'm for a reference, I am twenty six, So for me, this is ten years ago.
Speaker 3: Oh that decade.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought of that for a second. I'm like, wow, that's a full decade ago for me.
Speaker 5: I think a big thing, uh is to be patient and to know that things happen when they happen, and if it, you know, what is meant for you will not pass you by. Like if it doesn't happen, then that means that wasn't your opportunity, you know, and to not think that you can control the timing of things.
Speaker 4: Like I was college class of twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: I was going to stay in New York and do theater, and then the world shut down and I had to pivot. And that's when I went and got my masters, because literally all of theater had shut down and would be shut down for who knew how long. And I had such a plan, like to the minute, of how my life was going to look, and March twenty twenty just completely changed everything. And so just knowing that there's so much that's outside of your control, but that things will happen if you just take little steps every day towards your dreams and your goals, whatever that may be, it will happen for you. So don't freak out, don't stress, Just like keep taking those baby steps and trust the timing and that your timing is different than other people's timing. Coming back to that whole comparison competition thing, it's so tempting, especially with social media. Oh yeah, I didn't even get started on the stay off, but especially with social media, it's.
Speaker 4: So hard to see other people's timing and not feel like, oh I should be doing that. Oh they're on Broadway already. But it's like yeah, because that's their journey.
Speaker 5: Like this is my journey, and this is your journey, Yolanda, And you know, like just knowing that things will happen when they're supposed to happen, and it may not be like you envisioned, and that's okay.
Speaker 3: I often think of it like being in a car and and putting on your GPS or ways, and you know, when I'm driving with my husband, he argued with Ways. I don't know if anywhere else that you like, just don't put it on if you're gonna argue with her.
Speaker 6: You know that's me.
Speaker 3: Literally, it's like arguing out loud with Ways. But I think of life sometimes. I think of life sometimes as as like you know, having that that ways or GPS. So once you know you put your goals and you and if you're working towards reaching them, even if you make a turn to the left, you know what happens. It recaalculates itself, you know, so even so that it will continue and then so therefore and you will ultimately as long as you're you know, you you have your vision and you work hard and you believe no matter what you you will get there. And even if it's unfolds, and even if you quote unquote take a wrong turn, you can't take that wrong turn from from destiny when you're truly focused on something bigger and greater than yourself.
Speaker 1: That was on fire.
Speaker 6: That was amazing.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: I will never look at Ways the same.
Speaker 6: Way again, Google and Martin. When you argue with Ways, do they argue back or sometimes.
Speaker 2: I know I want to hear that argument, shake my head and I go not happening.
Speaker 3: That's what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to go this way.
Speaker 1: And then I'm going to say, though, if if Larry we hear that work its way into a script, we know it came from here from this podcast.
Speaker 2: Will believe me knows everything shows up everything I love. That's right, we're joking, but it is true. Guys.
Speaker 3: Well, what would be funny if when we see that comes up like come up that very few people will know that's Martin lu that character that's arguing with Ways.
Speaker 7: I'm sure the hundred thousands of millions of people are that's only one right.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the unexpected pleasures of this conversation Lauren. I meant that when I said, and I say this was respect Larry, because I'm a dad. She stole the show.
Speaker 2: Like that's the highest praise I can give to a dad.
Speaker 1: What are you most proud of?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't take credit for aud but her mom is an amazing mom. And you know, I always say Lauren gets ninety percent of her talent from her mom. She gets the she gets the jokes from me, but her mom her values in her family too. You know. It was this was a group effort, you know, with both of the kids. And I've always said my term for kids are my joke term for kids are blessed inconvenience. But the but the first the first word is very important. You know. I've always viewed John and Lauren as a blessing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The most important thing that's happened in my life and everwell is them, you know. And as I told Lauren, I am proud of her every day of her life. But their inspirations to me, you know, and I'm happy that I am to them, But they're inspirations to me too. I learned from them all the time, you know, And it's fun to see both of them out in the world doing their thing, you know, and doing what they're doing. I've always loved seeing people's reaction to Lauren. To Lauren has such a light about her. She's very inspirational. I don't know if she knows that either, but especially to young kids. I mean, I remember she did Peter Panmwins and she was tinker belling. Oh my god. She was like one of the Beatles, you know, like the kids who were flocking around her, you know, but just drawn to her in a way. And she has a lot of power in just being still and being herself, you know. Not very proud of her. Well they're in Lauren.
Speaker 1: We're grateful for your honesty, your humor, your heart brought to this conversation. I love the multi generational nature of it. You've talked to us about legacy, family representation, and the power of impact, especially opening doors and sticking your foot in so people can follow thereafter.
Speaker 6: And Craig, we even had some songs today.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yes, jokes laughter, but it's great.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: Hopefully won't be ssued for that copyright infringement, but I love it.
Speaker 4: It was in the other languages, so they're not going to be well.
Speaker 2: I love it, but we.
Speaker 1: Typically end the show by inviting people to live their own legacy, and they do it through fulfillment. They do it through taking ideas that came to them from this conversation. And I really want to emphasize it for the parents out there who are listening this time because a few things Larry really struck me. One, tell your kids I'm proud of you every day. What a beautiful message, Lauren that you shared, that your father voiced that, you know, I try to tell my kids every day I love them, and just to create that ritual, that routine is so powerful and invite our listeners to reflect that you don't have to be the best, you have to be your best. I hope every parent says that to their kids. How powerful that is. And lastly, you know, making someone laugh even in times of difficulty. Larry loved the reflection about how when your parents were going through their divorce and you and your brother just finding laughter to cheer each other up. There's a lot of people now who are going through tough times in American around the world, and to share a little bit of laughter, share a clip from this podcast, to share a clip from their favorite TV show that you helped create to share a clip to bring a little bit of joy in the world. So Larry and Lauren, thank you for sharing all of this with us and for living your legacy every day.
Speaker 2: You guys are so lovely. Thank you so much. What a Mays tribute and everything. It's such a great podcast. Thank you so much. It was an honor to be here.
Speaker 3: Yes, you are beautiful and again and thank you so so much from the bottom of our hearts for all that you've done.
Speaker 1: To open doors.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining us. If you enjoyed today's conversation, subscribe, share, and follow us at my Legacy Movement on social media. New episodes drop every Tuesday. At its core, this podcast honors doctor King's vision of the beloved community and the power of connection. A Legacy Plus Studio production distributed by iHeartMedia creator and executive producer Suzanne Haywood co executive producer Lisa Lyle. Listen on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts. Until next time, may you find inspiration to live your legacy.