Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Dave Matthews Band Live at trend Rocks. Oh uh, Disc one trend up, Disc one song, too Proudest, trend Key sat Zite, trend step, best of zights around Trendly you on television did every song on the whole double disc zight or trendsit dancing trendsies because the dancing trenzies all these tracks. Oh man, this was like the only album I listened to for three months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's based on buying way.
Speaker 1: Said the trend the joke. Anyways, what an album to that one? Shed a tier to that one? You are Miles, I'm Jack. These are some of the things that are trending. We got thirty three states suing Meta to fix the youth mental health crisis. This is interesting timing on the I mean so it's a bipartisan coalition of attorneys general from thirty three states. Mainly, we're covering this story because it allows us to say attorneys general, which is a fun, fun one to pluralize, from thirty three states now suing Meta for quote contributing to the youth mental health crisis by knowingly designing features on Instagram and Facebook that cause children to be addicted to its platforms. And you know, there's a lot of research that points to social media being part of what is driving mental health crises among America's youth, but there's also countervailing research and a lot of research to the points it's very kind of it's not settled sign I would say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think even like broadly, it's it gives a nice out for legislators to hang all of this, like the ills that young people are experiencing on social media, Yeah, exactly, it's not all the other shit that people are experiencing in this country that might also be And granted we've seen the research, like even Meta's own research is like, yeah, not great for like younger people's mental health to be on like Instagram or whatever, But like what about everything on the outside of the cell phone that young people are experiencing too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little frustrating that there's wide, sweeping bipartisan support for targeting social media companies, but none nothing is happening to combat like, you know, gun violence, for instance. Like, maybe part of the reason teenagers are more depressed and anxious these days is because they've been having to do active shooter drills since kindergarten. Yeah, you know. Study from earlier this year found that forty of eighteen to twenty nine year old Americans are concerned about being a victim of gun violence or a mass shooting. I feel like that might weigh on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe climate change.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know, their their government's part in aiding and abetting ethnic cleansing in the Middle East, and wondering, like.
Speaker 2: What what are the people I vote for do? Exactly right?
Speaker 3: Is there is there a future where the planet is not dead or just stricken with global war anyway? Yeah, but meta for sure, Yeah, I mean that's one dimensiones.
Speaker 2: Go harder, go harder. Please.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like Yeah, I just don't think people know yet, but it does, like part sometimes it really reeks of like TV will rot these children's brains and that's why we're all, you know, like when we were young, that was the big scare, was right, kids were watching too much TV, which they probably were, but maybe not the biggest problem that was facing our society.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it's inequality. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It could be that, it could be a amount of taxes that billionaires should be paying. There's a lot. There's a lot that could be done. But hey, yeah, go after him. I'm glad you guys got bipartisan support on something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, sure, let's sue Meta for all their shitty antics, but let's pretend as though it's somehow going to fix the mental well being of a generation who are worried that they might be fatally shot before they even have a chance to lose their home to get a climate apocalypse, yeah.
Speaker 3: Or even yeah, or realize they can't afford a home, h or whatever that is. But yes, yeah, bipartisan ship love to see it.
Speaker 1: The mcflury spoon's going away.
Speaker 2: It's gone. It's gone.
Speaker 3: It's letting you know real quick, y'all that we were plastic thing that had the clippy thing on the end that was hollow in the middle.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be out of here.
Speaker 3: It's getting phased out because they're like, that's a lot of shitty plastic to be using.
Speaker 1: So uh like hooked into the blender and like that was the actual like blender blade.
Speaker 2: Is that I believe, So it looked like that. I believe that's why the clip was on.
Speaker 3: Hey, anybody who worked at McDonald's correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's why there is that clip on the end of it, because it's clearly not to like, you know, lock into your jacket pocket or something like weird.
Speaker 2: And that's how I like, that's how I wear.
Speaker 1: You just have like a necklace of runs on me at all times exactly. But yeah, that was that was a thick, girthy piece of plastic for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I mean obviously, you know, when I was in Europe, you know, they were using wooden spoons already, So we'll see, we'll see where they go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And a lot a lot of people are pointing out like there there seems to be a concerted effort from the Biden campaign, uh to convince voters that Trump's age is an issue too.
Speaker 4: Basically, yeah, that's true. Sure, sure, sure, go ahead. Yeah he's old too. You think I'm old, well, I but he's like very old.
Speaker 3: Also, he's also very old and also pro war at all times. So yeah, there's also that there. He's also that too. I don't know, I mean, like I get you see this a lot where they're like, why are they why are people just like only talking about Joe Biden's age for me personally, when I bring his age up, it's to talk about how disconnected he is from the people that are inheriting the earth that he may be leaving within you know, the next however many years his life goes on for and because of that and not considering like all the things we just talked about, climate change, gun violence, like what our foreign policy is and things like that, and not understanding where a lot of younger people are with that. That's why I point to that part, not to be like he's so old. Oh no, it's like this we we can't keep having these like elders be in the driver's seat like for a ride that is going to affect you know, billions of people in the future.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so I get that, And I think with Trump he's like such an open fascist and all these other things, it's like, well, yeah, he's old, but then he's also like these other things.
Speaker 2: Sure they're all great.
Speaker 1: Yeah one with him, yeah, yeah, it does feel like that is going to be a big part of the next twelve months of our life. Is like you know how old you are? Oh yeah, well you're you're old too, And it's not going to be not going to be satisfying, but we.
Speaker 3: Will both send billions of dollars away to the military industrial complex, and that's ensure that you don't have a future.
Speaker 2: So they can unite over that.
Speaker 3: And I think that's the thing that a lot of people are starting to like wrestle with, Like I think in this cycle, because I see him, I'm already seying the think pieces of people.
Speaker 5: Being like, don't you fucking think about abandoning Biden. Look, how scary this thing's going to be. Yeah, and it's like it's scary now, but can you show us something different?
Speaker 1: No, the answer is they cannot.
Speaker 2: Do you what do you want Trump to win?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: Do you watch any NBA basketball, any opening night action?
Speaker 2: I saw the end of the Knicks Celtics.
Speaker 1: I was disheartening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was tuned in. But hey, look, took him to the wire, took him to the wire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, watched Wemby Wemby Wemby Yama And he is tall. He looks tall. He still looks tall even though he's not having a big game. Guy looks tall. Gotta tell you.
Speaker 2: He doesn't disappear in games, I'll tell you that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, there was another mass shooting as of this recording. The shooter is still on the loose hours after the initial killings at a bowling alley in Maine. Once again, this is the result of politics and companies choosing profit over human lives. Uh.
Speaker 6: We've talked about it like so many times, so many times, and it's like it's just getting like every time it's like the same thing too. You're like like, Okay, we're gonna hear thoughts in prayers, no legislation, don't make this political, or you find out something even more infuriating, like that this guy was known to law enforcement prior to this, Yeah, for threatening to shoot up like a military base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like what the fuck is going on? Uh?
Speaker 3: But again, when you have laws like Maines, which a lot of people are like their laws are so lax, but when you look at them like on a continuum, yeah, they're about normal for the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So people are pointing to Mains gun laws and like just how fucked up their gun laws are because they don't require a background checked by a gun, no red flag laws, the sorts of things that would have saved a lot of people's lives in this case, you know, because this was a person with the known history of just tossing up all sorts of red flags. Doesn't ban high capacity magazines like things. The stuff that is like the bare bones legislation that we know does work and can be passed in the United States in some parts of the United States, doesn't require a permit to carry concealed guns just breaks breaks off. They flipped them off. But so people are like, well, Maine, geez, that place sounds like a you know, like that. They just don't give a fuck West.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they got to be worse in the nation, right with a lot like that.
Speaker 1: So every town for Gun Safety, which rates these sorts of things, is like, yeah, they're really bad. They ranked twenty fifth out of fifty, so exactly right in the middle. They are right in the in the middle of the whole thing.
Speaker 3: A lot of people point are pointing out to like how it's more it's like suit of fed is harder to buy than like a firearm in Maine because it's like, you know, like a meth precursor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, And you know, also, I mean we've talked about Susan Collins too, like how just her, She's she's never done the right thing.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And when she was like tweeting stuff about it's like, oh, this is like we need to do something about it. A lot of people were like pointing out the fact that, like when people were like nicely asking her to like vote for legislation that would help people like with sidewalk chalk, remember she like called the police. Yeah, it's like, oh, they wrote on my sidewalk, please find them. And yeah, yeah, it's just so fucking disheartening. And you know, it happened like during the children's bowling League, Jesus, and now there's like over I think around eighteen people that have died, and so yeah, uh, we continue to like grapple with so many fucking failures of this country like simultaneously. It's it's really kind of becoming overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A couple of the like pro gun rights arguments that this that are directly affected by the events that we like do know and can confirm at this point. You know, they like to say that more guns actually make America safer since good guys, we'll also be carrying guns because in main, roughly half of all households have guns, so that didn't seem to stop things here. Also the idea of like it's just people who like aren't properly trained that cause problems. This person's a certified gun training rainer, en FIRENM instructor. The other thing is this highlight is just like this is another big emergency, like important story, news story that is happening with Twitter being like absolutely and completely broken, and so you know, just every time there's a massive story, the misinformation is just comically bad immediately on x and on Twitter, and like right in this case, the misinformation was just like right off the bat, A highly followed account reported that the shooter had been caught right literally like came out and was like coast is clear, everyone, you can come out of hiding, and the shooter hadn't been caught yet. Yeah, Like I can't think of a worse piece of misinformation to spread.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: It was that had been seen over one hundred and seventy thousand times, and that's.
Speaker 3: Like that's like the fun for these people who pay their eight bucks because your bullshit's floated up to the top because of the algorithm. Yeah, and you can just play a video game called put people in the state of disarrays for eight bucks a month because there's no but anyway, so yeah, as of now, the suspect is still at large, so it's just yeah, yeah, please stay.
Speaker 2: Safe if you're in main.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's also, of course, immediate reports that he was a MA supporter and left wing nutt who voted for Obama, both of which are unverified, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also apparently he'd made thrusts to shoot up a military base, so yeah, yeah, bad bad times.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: There is a tentative deal in place with United Auto Workers and Ford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got two more to go if this is this tentative deal becomes fully ratified, they don't like there aren't the full details aren't out, but Sean Fain, who runs or who leads the UAW, said that includes a twenty five percent increase over the course of the new contract. It raises the top wage for workers by over thirty percent to more than forty dollars an hour, the starting wage by sixty eight percent, and the wage for temp workers by over one hundred and fifty percent, and also stuff like pensions and other things like that. So we don't know everything, but it seems like, uh yeah, they're slowly, slowly making headway since the what I believe the strike started on September fifteenth, So we'll see what happens with the other two manufacturers.
Speaker 1: Does almost seem like this collective action stuff might work.
Speaker 3: We were so farm just seeing a bunch of dubs for people, not many els.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but hey, how about that.
Speaker 3: Let's let's all let's all keep that in mind, you know, stay organized.
Speaker 1: All right, We'll leave it there with a bit of good news. Yeah, that's gonna do it for us this afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show and a very special guests.
Speaker 3: Probably already know, probably seeing her on Twitter already asking me all but hey, you already.
Speaker 1: Know, y'all already know. We are back then with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Fight Bye.