Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 3: It is Thursday, October twenty fourth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number fifty four. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from that s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, presenter by LG. LG's the World's the World's number one O that TV brand for seven years in counting see why at LG dot com, Ford slash O, led Evo. All right, we got a lot to get into today. What's that look for?
Speaker 4: I think it was really funny yesterday because I think some viewers maybe watched our show late in the day yesterday and heard us talking about jury.
Speaker 3: Duty, and I know, I know that's what I was gonna go for.
Speaker 4: This idea. We had no idea that was. That was the first thing that popped in my mind when everything went down this.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, look just to take you by and we were talking about jerry duty because I had jury duty, or I was supposed to have jury duty on Monday. They sent me a message on Friday saying we don't need your services. I was like, great, I got out of it. Amber was saying, I want to be on jury so bad. And then all of a sudden we get on the report that not only was was it Brandon's time, Brandon Aubrey kicker for the Dallas Cowboys, he actually got selected and it was actually a sitting member of the jury. And I just sent the message that Amber the injury report and just kind of circled his name and jury. Yeah, everybody's getting the opportunity that for some reason, they don't want you to.
Speaker 5: Be boy curious how you found out details of the on the case because.
Speaker 3: He's a reporter.
Speaker 4: And the funny thing is, I've been told he's been one of the most courteous, like one of the most attention attention.
Speaker 6: Got what do you mean you've been told by people? Why would I say a source.
Speaker 2: All the life.
Speaker 6: He's got people, But yeah, one of the.
Speaker 4: Most courteous, one of the more attention to detail jurors of the twelve person jury on this case. It's a third second degree strangulation case in Tarren County.
Speaker 6: That's carry wild, absolutely wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, all the questions came up. I was talking to my wife last night. She's an attorney, so she lives in this world. But she was just like, so, what about like Monday, Like, if this case is still going Monday, is he gonna be back in time? I was like, well, yeah, we get back early in the morning. It's gonna suck for him. Monday's gonna suck really bad because if anybody knows, if you've gone through a night you don't sleep very much and then you gotta go sit and listen to people talk all day. That's gonna suck.
Speaker 5: But once you're so lately like you're, it's not like you can get out of it.
Speaker 3: Not really not there were because I brought up the question. I was like, so, what happens if.
Speaker 2: They could strike you that you've been compromised?
Speaker 3: Yes, they can't. They well they have they have alternates, so they could actually replace you. But I was like, what happens if and I'm please don't let this happen, But what happens if we're in San Francisco and something happens with the plan, something happens with whatever, where we can't get back by Monday morning, we actually have to stay longer, or we get delayed, or whatever the case might be. Please don't let that happen. Right, If what happens, and she's like, I guess at that point, they probably have to put one on the alternates and if he can't be there, like the expectations, if you're in if you're in town and available, you're there. But the reason why they have alternates is if there's a medical emergency, if there's something that takes you out of town that you weren't expecting, or you couldn't get back into yeah something right, you know, something like that. But but yeah, I mean, by all accounts, he's gonna have to go in if the case is still going on Monday morning, he's gonna we're gonna get back at four thirty and he'll probably report the court by eight am, sit through a day of court.
Speaker 5: It's so random and so mild that that just happened.
Speaker 2: Like those lawyers knew what they were doing. Oh yeah, they know, they know who you are. Seriously, they know your background, so they'll ask questions. Well they're they're maybe not forty nine er fans, but trust me, these lawyers know who Brandon Aubrey is. The really good lawyers know the backgrounds of especially if it's a very high profile case. That's part of like selecting the jury. I mean, one of the great movies you've ever seen is a movie called The Runaway Jury. Jeene Hackman in it, and how they go through jury selection and how they pinpoint certain jurors because their backgrounds or where they're from.
Speaker 5: Lincoln Lawyer. If you guys are on Netflix, Great Show, they just came up with a new season having with Great Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the lawyers know. They everybody knows, damn good and will who Brandon Aubrey is sitting on that jury.
Speaker 3: Well you have to give as even last week when I was making sure I was all signed up and registering everything, they ask you, who do you work for? What's your like, what's your title or what's your profession or whatever, So they know coming in like National Football League York of the Dallas Cowboys kicker like they know what his job is. They know exactly who he is. So yeah, there's no we don't need this exactly, and I'm good with I'm so good with that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes though that that does help you though, if they feel that they do know you well enough and you're an outspoken person. That's like for me, I was talking about if you in my case, I applied, I put I was I'm a media personality, and they immediately kicked me off because they think that I'll have an opinion that will sway others. So that's what they did. Like when I when we all sat down and we were doing the selection and they mean, mister Broadis, you can leave. I know I did as soon as I sat down with the group. The first one they said it was, mister Brodist, you can leave, and I and I just stood up and everybody kind of looked at me, and I just walked off. I got I get donated my six bucks back to whoever you know gets the six bucks for jury duty, you know, and they.
Speaker 5: Give you six bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they give you money. Yeah, they give you money for being on the jury.
Speaker 3: Can you see the look on Bride's face like they're like, mister Bradis, you can leave, and He's like that it no. I they got there.
Speaker 2: I literally got there. I got there on the group. I got there down downtown and downtown Dallas and sat down with my group, and I was prepared. I was prepared to be select. And the first guy go the first lawyer goes, mister Brodist, you can leave. And I didn't get to say a word. I stood up and I just left. But they they know, they know who you are, and they know your background.
Speaker 4: I think it's really funny, just because, like as any employer would do, because thinking that most people don't want to be on jury duty. Was talking with with Brandon Cowboys being like, hey, we you know, we can get you out of this, and he's like, no, I want to feel my safe duty. So this is Brandon really wanting to be on a jury, just like Ambar over here. But the question I have is why couldn't if he had deferred.
Speaker 6: It to the off season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I have so many questions about this that we won't get into.
Speaker 3: I love. I would love to do a jury too. I think most people probably would because it's intriguing. The problem is you just don't know what you're going to be called to case. Because what I what would be like worst case for me is some long trial. Well, questered, like all that kind of stuff where now you're like you're old, and I'm like I couldn't. I just I'm already I got a d D. I can't sit there that long. You're telling me, I got to be there for a week every day, all day shoot around here doing hour long meetings. I'm just like bawling out of my skin, like I got to get up and.
Speaker 6: Move around a little different.
Speaker 5: You're listening to evidence people a case, they're going up there. You're listening to I can do.
Speaker 3: I can do it.
Speaker 2: I can for a day.
Speaker 3: I can't give you more than a day a day.
Speaker 4: Well, to bring it back to football brand, and is still getting his practice time in during the week. So the day is over, he's coming to the facility and working one on one with bones.
Speaker 3: During breaks, he just goes outside and kicks exactly you might.
Speaker 4: See him in the little courtyard outside the courthouse. But no, So yesterday he came in did his normal work. Today he'll come in and do his kick work and then typically he doesn't kick until game day after Thursday, and that he's going to stick to that routine and his practice routine doesn't really change.
Speaker 6: It's just when he is applying that practice routine.
Speaker 2: Did you get out of the courthouse yesterday?
Speaker 6: Can neither confirm or deny he got what he's.
Speaker 2: Doing good for you.
Speaker 3: He knows and he's doing good stuff. Saluting to Brandon, I appreciate the fact that people people will take their responsibility series and uh seriously and do their jobs, do their duty. All right, let's jump in. Let's talk about a couple other injuries from the injury report. Is not injury but on the report, Deran Bland, Michael Parson's we've talked about them. Yeah, at this point, like it's looking obviously it's looking very much like, Yeah, I don't know about Micah. With Deron, I don't even know what to really think anymore, because he did have those two days where he practiced full, then he didn't practice heading into the Detroit game, and then obviously he shows up and did not practice yesterday. What are you guys hearing about him? Just from the standpoint of how's he doing? Like, is this a situation where he's just not progressing or is this a situation where maybe it's a setback.
Speaker 4: Brian will probably have a better info here specifically, you got but any thoughts on it though, on Bland specifically, Yeah, because I think I was just diving in my notes here. I think here with Bland, definitely a setback suffered right before that Lion's game. I think the anticipation was that he would return for that, and so they're trying to slowly work him back in. Yesterday he was a DNP even though they expected him to be limited. Obviously not trending in the right direction, but it's still looking to be a game time decision on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in my notes, I went back and looked, and they were hopeful, and the word I got is he's not completely one hundred percent healthy, and that's what they're dealing with right now. Now. They're trying to get him as close to one hundred percent as it can. And I know people out there like not all these guys aren't a hundred percent, but in his case, they feel like they need to get him there to be able to do it. They're hopeful, that was the word that they were used, but not one hundred percent completely completely healthy.
Speaker 4: I think with him specifically, you get Kaylen Carson back at practice yesterday at a full participant, you don't have to activate it. You don't have to activate Deron Blaine until next Wednesday at the very latest, So if they want to wait one more week, they certainly can't.
Speaker 3: But at that point, and again going in the twenty one day rule, if they don't activate him at that point, he'd be on eye off for the Seaton. So at that point you got to bring him back if you plan to play in for the rest of the year, even if he's injured, and that means you might just have to carry him as an injured player, right, Yeah, all right, let's talk about a couple other guys, Eric Kendricks Limited, Nick Vigil Limited, Ryan f Illinoy Limited, John Stevens Limited. What particularly talking about the linebackers Kendricks and Vigil. What are we hearing there?
Speaker 4: Don't have anything on Vigil, but Kendricks specifically trending in the right direction for Sunday, and he was pretty upbeat yesterday in the locker room talking about the matchup with the forty nine ers, So I would expect he but obviously just kind of monitored as we goes on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's on with us at five o'clock today on our Player show, Always the Fan. He's he's actually a really great interview. You can ask him a million questions about anything and he'll give you an answer.
Speaker 3: Because he's got it like he's an interesting it really is, he really is.
Speaker 2: It's been really a lot of fun for us.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: When we asked him before the bye about you know, we said how are you feeling, he goes, I'm good, and he left it at that, and we all took it as.
Speaker 3: I got Williams movie, I got.
Speaker 2: I got word that they're going to put him out there and see what happens and see if if it if it works out, well, we'll see about how the practice designations go. But the plan this week was to try and to try and get him out there and see if he could do some things, hopefully today. If he comes on today with us at five o'clock and says I'm good and leaves it at that, then you know he's probably not gonna play. But if he's like no man, feeling great looking forward to it, you know he gets If he gets a little bit more into it, I think you'll have a better understanding of where he's at.
Speaker 4: Not that this has anything to do with his availability, but if everybody recalls back to free agency. He initially agreed to sign with the forty nine ers, Yeah, and then kind of flipped his commitment, if you will, to the Cowboys a couple of days later.
Speaker 6: So this is an interesting game.
Speaker 3: For him, Ryan Illinoy, what do we hear?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't have anything there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing that I can gain from that.
Speaker 3: Or we'll see where that goes later in the week. Obviously, wide receiver is still an area for them because Brandon Cooks obviously still is out. But we'll keep eyes on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with Cooks, I've heard it's a frustrating process kind of with him, but that he's getting treatment and he has to miss at least through the Falcons game.
Speaker 6: But the hope is that he can come back for the following week, which I believe.
Speaker 3: Is the Egals.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so at home, there's still a hope. There, a high hope there.
Speaker 3: All right. There are a few names on the forty nine ers list. One that I didn't expect. George Kittle pops up at it did not practice with a foot injury spray foot right, Yeah, and then we knew about Deebo Samuels who was released from the hospital on Monday. Juwan Jennings remains out with a hip. They're wide received. I mean that that would be of those three, and then you take Ayuk their top four pass catchers on their team that are right now as of yesterday not practicing. How much does that really? I mean, are you hearing anything first of all about George Kittle and how serious this might be or is this more one of those things of he's got some discomfort sit him Just to kind of.
Speaker 2: It sounded like Kyle Shanahan was trending the saying that they were going to play at him and Samuel both were gonna play. Kittle and Samuel We're going to play, so we'll see how things shake out. I get some connections there. I'm waiting to ask that question at the very end to see where that was. Yeah, I'm not gonna Yeah, I'm just gonna hold it till the very end and hit him one time with it. Can't keep doing it all Well, if you do it all week, they're not going to tell you anything. So I'm just gonna wait till I absolutely needed. But uh, but yeah, it just listened to Shanahan talk yesterday. It sounded like that it kills as a foot sprain. Yeah, so man, I mean, they.
Speaker 3: Can't be running well on this brain. I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: But they've got they've got an off week the next week. I mean, so maybe. And let's be honest too, they're just as desperate as you are to get a win, no doubt their team. This could be at this loss if it were to happen. Put it three and five going into the bye boy, and that's that's not a good situation for them at all.
Speaker 3: I will tell you this though, And I heard this this morning on the radio. I think it was Sean on Seawan and RJ this morning. It was one of the guys on that. No, no, no, it was Babe doing an interview on Sewan and RJ, and he said that the thing about the forty nine ers is the last two years when they've ended up in the NFC Championship Game, they started both those seasons three and four exactly where they are now. Yeah, So this is a team that doesn't panic. This is a team that kind of is a slow starter, has traditionally been a slow starter, and as a team, as a season goes, they tend to pick up and they get it rolling. And by the end of the season they found themselves in the NFC Championship game. So I think the point he was making is that number one that's who they are. But number two this season is far from over four teams that are three and three, three and four, whatever, there's still a lot of football. We played three and.
Speaker 5: Three or.
Speaker 3: Three and three, that's who we are, Bill, Bill Parcells says you are who your record says you are.
Speaker 2: I don't think you would be with the injuries. I don't think you would be disheartened if you're a Cowboy fan if those games you lost hadn't been so just all three. Yeah, I think that if if somehow, some way you got to the Atlanta game, after the Atlanta game and you were four and four with the injuries that they've.
Speaker 3: Had, and you got those guys back, would be.
Speaker 2: You would be feeling pretty darn good about your situation. But those losses expose some very very potentially fatal flaws for your defense and for your offense too well.
Speaker 5: Even in the win, a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: My hope is every week they play like they did against Pittsburgh. Yeah, that that to me, I've said it before. That was a tough pretty You had your down guys, you had to deal with the weather delay you're traveling. Nothing was good about that trip. That's a hard place to play. Pittsburgh's playing pretty you know, pretty well right now. Yeah, so you know.
Speaker 3: What's the record? Four two two now, Yeah, it's not a bad that's a good football team that you beat up there at their place.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, we're gonna take our first break. We'll come back. We'll jump into the San Francisco defense. Brian has his breakdown force. We'll be back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 3: See add dot com Slash five G for you foody.
Speaker 10: Deals it's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 7: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out.
Speaker 3: Of your car.
Speaker 8: You can take advantage of take fives.
Speaker 7: Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 11: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.
Speaker 12: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates.
Speaker 6: But with that Texas heat.
Speaker 12: It's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com.
Speaker 3: Check it out today.
Speaker 12: Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 4: I don't have the top of my head, the lg O lead evo is the best TV in the game.
Speaker 6: Don't take it. Don't take our word for it.
Speaker 4: Digital Trends said the l g O lead E four G four G four is the best TV in the game. See it for yourself at lg dot com slash o lead evo.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 3: This man is good at this job. Let me just say, this man is good at his job.
Speaker 2: Florinoy ankle spraying, ankle spray from Detroit, all.
Speaker 4: Right, and then John Stephens Junior from Mike McCarthy's press are just now torn a c l out for the season. Torn a c l in as many years. That's really tough. Yeah, that's a good question as well.
Speaker 3: That sucks for him man Andrew Is this year. God, yeah, but I mean for that guy especially, he's he's trying to make a team, he's trying to kind of and he's got talent and just these these unforeseen things that happen, you know, it's the nature of being an NFL football.
Speaker 4: There's no bright side to this at all, but it does make it easier to Activatedron Blaine this weekend by just putting John Stevens on ir Now, that's true that they don't have to figure out who to take off or who to cut things of that nature.
Speaker 6: So not a bright side, but it's just it does.
Speaker 4: Make it easier for roster maneuvering if they decide to activate playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel for him, man, I hope he wish him the best as he starts the recovery. I guess from this from.
Speaker 2: This polonoial practice today, got it.
Speaker 3: Just Illinoy will be back today hopefully in practice.
Speaker 2: Sorry I didn't ask about that one earlier.
Speaker 3: No, it's all good, All good, All right, let's jump into the San Francisco defense, Brian, I was looking at some of the numbers around them. They really are their defense middle of the league when it comes to a lot of categories. Points aloud, they're sixteenth yards allowed, They're fourteenth. My question for you is, just as a big picture as you're looking at this team, are they better worse for the same than they were last year?
Speaker 2: Defensively, I think they're actually worse than they were now. I will say this just because I think that they're having to play with some different uh, they're having to play with some different pieces and every you know, everybody around the league is kind of, you know, dealing with the same thing. When you when you when you start to talk about, uh, these these defenses, and you know, Hafunga, their safety is a really good player. Javin Hargrave is not playing. He you know, he was hurt in week four.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's been a really really good player for them. They've just been kind of struggling at some different spots.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: People have kind of attacked them a little bit differently. But you know, it really comes down to like Nick Bosa and it comes down to Fred Warner. Uh, you know, Leonard Floyd, Uh for who they added from Buffalo, has been a good addition for them.
Speaker 6: Underrated, if you will.
Speaker 2: Under Yeah, I mean, you know, Bosa gets pressures and and so does Floyd. And Malik Collins is actually playing pretty well for him, you know, if you look at his situation. Kevin Gibbons is a defensive tackle that has kind of been on their team since he was a college free agent in twenty nineteen. He was like a rotational defensive tackle, had like three and a half four and a half sacks for a career. He's got three and a half sacks for him this year. So they've got guys that are kind of stepping up and helping them with some of their defensive stuff. But it was really interesting to watch them play the Arizona Cardinals because we all know what the Cardinals are, the pen and poll stuff that they do. But their quarterback, Kyler Murray is a pain in the ass to play against. And I say that with all due respect. Now he really his ability to There were times in that game and I'm watching it and I'm going, I go, they've got you know, and then and he pulls the ball and then it's a twenty yard gain or you know, if he hands that ball, it's going to be a loss of three. Instead he pulls it and now they've crashed everybody and he's out the gate and they don't get the linebacker over. And I mean, it's fascinating to watch teams play that have that quarterback with the ability to run, you know like that, and you know, they've had, they've dealt with some teams that have had that quarterback that does have some ability to move and it's given him a little bit of some problems, but it's still a really really good defense. In my opinion, I just feel like that. Like I say, you're going to have to find a way to be able to handle Nick Bosa in this game. And they you know he's going to He's going to flop sides, and he's actually been more productive on the right side when he comes to pressures and sacks than he does when he normally plays on the left side. So we'll see what Dallas does this week. If it's Guyton, if it's Smith, we'll see. My gut is that it'll probably be guitting over there. But yeah, you've got to find a way to take care of Nick Bosa. But I mentioned Leonard Floyd could be just as just as dangerous as a pass rusher.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you a question on the Bosa point, because from what I've seen from San Francisco this year, their pass rush kind of moves at Bosa's pace, Like when Bosa is has a high motor, they have a high motor when he's kind of down and he's reeling, the entire.
Speaker 6: Line is reeling.
Speaker 4: The only caveat I would give is Leonard Floyd just because he's he's been able to generate isolated pressure.
Speaker 2: No, I think I think your scout eye is very good on that. I think they're big four man pressure team. They don't want to bring Blitz, so how he plays is really how they kind of get going.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: I felt like they did a pretty good job of getting after Mahomes last week in the in the game, you know, Mahomes was having to move around a little bit in this game, and and and have to make some off platform throws. Uh. But uh, you know it's going to be about four man rush and you know they're gonna they're gonna play coverage and and uh and see if they can enforce you into a mistake that way, like a guy Fred Warner or you know Ward Uh or Lenore. The corner that they've those guys are are are pretty good corners. They've been attacking Lenore a little bit more than Ward Uh.
Speaker 6: In this nunthful. Oh that was a mouthful. Leonor I'm a little bit more than war then Lendora.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's but their safety, their safety play. Mustafa, the rookie from Elite, Mustafa from Wake Forest is played really well for them, filling in for for for Hunga Hu Funga from USC. But jay Al Brown, the other safety people have kind of matched up with him, and teams have had success throwing the football on him. So, however, you could find a way to get number twenty seven into a little bit of coverage and then their nickel Ittam has also had some problems too in coverage as well. So a couple of different spots. The nickel number twenty two and the free safety are the two guys that seem to be the guys that if you can match him up or match your best up with those guys, the teams have had a little success.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a good week. Try to get CD in the slot more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every every week, I I come out and talk about these matchups and then I watched like the Lions game and they don't move the ball with the dam And then the general manager comes on a Monday it says, we felt like we could throw the ball on the Lions, and they're like, yeah, so we did, so did I you know, but hopefully they can they can figure out a way to get that done. It's hard to run the ball in these guys because of Fred Warner. He makes it really really difficult.
Speaker 3: Might be the best middle linebacker he.
Speaker 2: Is, he is, and you put him in coverage and he's he's capable of knocking passes down, he's capable of running with guys. He gets interceptions, and my man's got like eight interceptions in his career, you know, just playing as a just playing as a linebacker. So it'll be it'll be a little bit of a difficult task, but you got to make sure that you take care of Bosa. But you can't sleep on Leonard Floyd on the other end as well.
Speaker 4: One Winners is another linebacker in that second level that's played well. Even without Greenlaw, it's still a talented second level. Obviously, green Law tours Achilles in the Super Bowl. If y'all remember last year when they have Devondre Campbell in, there's been some opportunities that they run his way and they're able to get into the second level that opposing teams have been able to kind of break some things. But also if a tight end is matched up on Devondre Campbell, they've had success against him as well.
Speaker 6: Campbell has not been good this year.
Speaker 3: The one thing I noticed that that they're actually doing really well is they're fourth in the league in turnovers right now. Yeah, my question is are they forcing a lot of turnovers or is this just a situation where they're taking advantage of teams that are just making mistakes. You know, you see a lot of times you get interceptions. It's more of a situation of overthrows and stuff like that. Or are they really getting in there and they're playing tight coverage to the point where they're getting interception, they're forcing those interception.
Speaker 2: I think they're forcing them. I think there's only been one game where they haven't had an interception. That was the Rams game. I think everybody else has been it's been one interception, one interception. I think the last three weeks it's been one two two on the game, so they've had five interceptions to the last three games. The way problem the way.
Speaker 4: They plays this is a physical secondary and I think that's even more of a problem against this Cowboys team that has not done well and has kind of been dejected when physicality has been thrown on them.
Speaker 3: So it's what we talked about. Their ability to be able to run Chris Browse, to be able to get off the line clean like those are things that have been a challenge for them and so you face a team like this. One of the things I love about Wards game like he is a very aggressive cornerback, and and if you can't beat his aggression, you're you're just done.
Speaker 4: I mean, once yours, you'll see it this week, You'll see it next week against Atlanta with a J.
Speaker 6: Terrell. You'll see it the following week in Philly with those guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're gonna have to figure out how to play against physicality eventually.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 3: One other thing I want to hit up. They are twenty third right now in red zone percentage allowed. They're not doing very well when it comes to stopping teams in the red zone. Happens to match up with an area the Cowboys haven't really been able to get going. Is this the week Dallas gets that going and they're actually able to convert touchdowns as opposed to using the jury man, mister and Brandon Aupry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a jury man. Yeah, that's a fascinating step. I guess I missed that in my prep. But I think I think you're you're getting a little bit different intention, a little bit different approach coming out of the bye week. I think it's more about the Cowboys and less about the Niners trying to figure out these red zone problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it I think the point that Nick made earlier about how aggressive they you know, it's funny how teams do get down and they kind of lose track of their guys down there. You know, you've played against some teams that, if they've they've played against some teams that that have been able to kind of find the end zone throwing the football where going down the field, you really haven't been able to do that all that well against them. It seems like the shorter the field, the better they should be playing, but they really haven't been. And it might go back to but you're talking about with Campbell as well, the linebacker just not getting it done like you need to, uh, you know, and that it's it's been it's been a little bit of a struggle, as you mentioned Nick with him playing, but they've struggled also too with their line getting you know, getting making sure everything was buttoned up down there. There have been some guys that have been able to run some routes on them and be able to get into the end zone that way.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 5: I think it's definitely a Cowboys problem rather than who the opponent is. And obviously, when you hear a stat like that. Hopefully it should help your at least make things easier for you to get into the end zone as long as you don't throw an interception before get into the red zone.
Speaker 6: So hopefully there's that.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, if you look at Dallas and I think this is where Nick's wright your averaging point eight yards a rush, not even a yard, but point eight. When you're in the red zone rush and the ball, you don't have any ability to run the ball down there, you don't have any ability. And then your quarterback to me, it's very simple to say all the play call and the scheme, this and that and other, but really it's so much of a combination. I don't know if they could fix everything that goes wrong down there. They don't block particularly well. The quarterback and the receiver seem to have some type of disconnect. Get anybody open down there, and then it turns into, oh, let's try and run the ball. Well, that's a negative play or a no gain. And now you're you know, oh, it's second in you know, instead of being second in two or three, it's you know, it's second and nine. If they're inside the ten, you know, they don't just they don't get anything out of that.
Speaker 5: And well, like design some place for your quarterback to run in the red zone, like we've seen them be successful at it in the past. We've seen those plays work over and over again. Uh, now I'm getting my years confused. But there was specific year where we saw Dak getting into the end zone a few times just by running the ball, and then that disappear, Like why don't you have those plays designed for X moments in the game.
Speaker 2: I think there were some times where they've tried to with the read option stuff. They've tried to, you know, and he hands it, he gives it and you and then instead of maybe pulling it and trying to I don't know how much your quarterback really wants to run. I just don't think that's I don't I don't think he is. There was a time in his life where muddy, bloody, dirty feeling the place. You know, he was diving over people, getting helicoptered and all that.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm getting paid you that much. I expect you to do anything I need, yeah, or I asked for, or at least try.
Speaker 6: I mean to record.
Speaker 2: If you paid a lot of money, we need a little bit more sacrifice from you.
Speaker 5: I mean, what are we paying for here? I'm just saying, like, at least try. It's not about it, It's not about why you like.
Speaker 2: I think he's worried about his health. I think he really worried about his health.
Speaker 6: Are we all?
Speaker 4: One thing I did see on film that I think could work in first and ten opportunities. Whether this could be in the red zone or between the twenties, the Chiefs had a lot of success on jet sweeps with Hardman and Worthy running away from Bosa. Get involved in something like that, I think you.
Speaker 6: Could find some success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think in a game like running game. But I will saying a game like this, this is where I want to see as much as anything else. I want to see if in the bye week they were able to figure out something about what they should be doing with their run game to give them more run support, Like whether that be personnel, whether that be, hey, we need to commit to Rico, whether that be we need to get Lifkey more involved. Maybe that's we got to get Dalvin Cook in the game, right. I don't know what it is, but I will be I will be disappointed if we go and finish this game. And they've done and it's not apparent that there they've done something to address the running game. If they've done nothing, then to me, that's that's a miss at this point.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe not handing the ball to number fifteen might be the adjustment.
Speaker 3: Whatever the adjustments, I mean after the you know.
Speaker 2: After the you know, after the said the Detroit game where you were kind of you know, you were taking carries away. I just don't know how you get into the Detroit game or excuse me, the Pittsburgh game, you know, you were somewhat affected of doing that. To me, I would try and build on that. It seems like they said, let's get Zeke involved here and it really didn't work out like it needed to be.
Speaker 4: Where's the intention of getting him involved in the receiving game after the receiving season he had a year ago, Zeke, Yeah, specifically, just try to get him involved in that area.
Speaker 3: And so we want to know something interesting for me and I remember when they first drafted Zeke. I remember I was talking to coach Brown rest in Peace U and he was talking about how much he loved Zeke's game, and one of the things he mentioned, he was like, man, this guy is such a good receiver out of the backfield. He said he is. He said he is good enough that if he would have chosen at some point in his career to be a receiver, he could have made a career of it. He's that good. And And to be honest with that, I don't know the Cowboys ever, even in his prime, I don't know if they ever really took advantage of that assessment of him. Like I think they used him out of the backfield as you would use running backs, but I don't ever, I never felt like they really made him a and like they made that part of his game a critical piece in their offense. And right now I think it just kind of fits with that they still aren't doing it. But you know, again, I don't know how much that is diminished from what it was at the time when Coach Brown was making that assessment.
Speaker 4: But I don't think they've ever really taken advantage of That's really good insight.
Speaker 3: Now, all right, we're gonna take our final break. We will come back, and we got some questions sacrifice. We got some questions from you guys. You guys have hit me on Twitter. We got some questions. We'll hit in this final second, We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 13: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more life like, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit.
Speaker 13: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 13: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 6: No one comes close.
Speaker 13: Lg O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 3: See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 9: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 3: Off the field.
Speaker 9: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: If you shout how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 14: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtime. Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 15: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored. Qualit Assurance message DAT rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 3: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 6: Back to the.
Speaker 5: Break at n T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: You got that one boom, got that one boom.
Speaker 6: Nick helped us start.
Speaker 2: It wasn't perfect. We knew that. Well, the thing is, you're a real competent. Got this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I was like, I don't start.
Speaker 3: Final segment of the break laugh that s WBC Mortgage Studios at the start of the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. Let's take some questions here from some fans. Joshua Harkin says, the Cowboys have made it clear they aren't buyers at the deadline. Does it make sense for them to actually be sellers? If so, who could you see them trading?
Speaker 4: It would make sense to be sellers. I think they could get I think any team can get value out of guys at the deadline. You know, I think a couple of years ago, I was looking at at the Dorn's Armstrong case and being like, hey, they kind of have a surplus of defensive line talent.
Speaker 6: They could trade Dorn's Armstrong in this moment and.
Speaker 4: Probably get offensive tackle help at that time or linebacker help at that time.
Speaker 6: And then they never took advantage of that.
Speaker 3: But they will get a convinced story pick for for him for sure.
Speaker 4: For sure now that now got a compensatory, so that's probably gonna be like what a fifth probably for him, Yes, but I think at this point, yeah, I mean, they definitely could sell. There are guys on this team that I feel like they they do at times have a surplus, but also with the way this team has been banged up, you might not want to dive into that surplus just yet. Yeah, like the beginning of the season, I maybe would have said defensive or defensive line in general.
Speaker 6: But you know, there's there's probably no one there that you would want to get rid of at this point.
Speaker 2: I wonder if pro Depermits would look at Damount Clark and think that they could do something with him.
Speaker 6: M that's one safeties Maybe there's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, you know, I think that you kind of you're you're in a little bit of a hole right now with your safety. As a matter of fact, we you know, when we were talking about San Francisco, one of the things they did well is intermediate passing inside, you know, in the middle league. To see all those crossing routes and stuff. I'll be interested to see how Hooker and Wilson play this weekend with that and see if their eyes are in the right spot. I'd love to see. You know, you talk about you're not a very good tackling team. You don't have one of your best tacklers on the field with Marquise Bell. You know, last year it seemed like Bell made every single tax surprise.
Speaker 3: That they're not using him more.
Speaker 2: There might be something there with him and jan Yer Thomas not picking up the defense. I'm just throwing that out there. I'm not I don't know anything. I'm just saying, why would you not play those guys? You know? But I think there's gonna be a point in time where you look at Hooker and Wilson you're kind of thinking, well, maybe we should see if Bell and Thomas or one of one of them could could maybe help you a little bit. But I would I would consider I would consider looking at Demoon Clark as possible. If I was at a pro department of another team, I would call you about him. I might call you about TJ. Bass, you know, if if in fact that if you know, if there was.
Speaker 3: A Hofman maybe even get into that conversation.
Speaker 2: I would probably call you about TJ. Bass.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, if Hoffman back the off, I would say, hey, well, what are you gonna do with safety? You know you got anything you're gonna do with Bellema.
Speaker 3: Subject does move to another subject.
Speaker 2: I would do my very best to kind of move around a little bit here. But yeah, you really can't do anything at tight in now with John Stevens being out. So that's the crew you got that's the crew you got right there. I think you could get something for Bass, you know, if you wanted to trade.
Speaker 3: We want to get rid of him, though, because I'm looking at the fact that I don't know what the future holds right now for Zach Martin. Yeah, and I think right now, if if Zach Martin does decide to move on after this year, I could see a scenario where TJ. Bass could just kind of fit in there.
Speaker 2: Kind of feel like though, that to me awesome. Richards is a better at guard than he is a tackle.
Speaker 3: Is he better than TJ Bass guard?
Speaker 4: I don't feel like he would maybe be better than TJ at right guard to film?
Speaker 3: Are you just saying if I trade, if I trade, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna I'm gonna I'm gonna play. I'm gonna use Richards and see where he's at and then figure it out because I'm probably gonna have to get one anyway.
Speaker 3: Would you trade? Would you trade Richards or do you think there's not as much of a market for him versus Bass.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's from a big school North Carolina, so people might have had some some good college grades on him when he came out. I felt like you should have got picked higher than where he was. I really my fifth round pick. The thing about him is you can watch his tape in the preseason and watch him play guard and watch him play tackle. So some versatility with the guy that way, I would I would, I would take a peek at him for sure if that was the case.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get one other question before we end the show. Drew Fisher asked the question. He says, since we're obviously not using Lance as a QB and our running game has been so bad, he gives us the best chance with the big play coming out of the backfield. Possibly as a runner, he has more bursts than any of the backs. Also, could we use him to throw the ball to cause a little confusion, Yeah, he thought about using him.
Speaker 4: That sounds like creativity, which is something this offense needs. I would be open to it. You know, activating three quarterbacks, you would have to figure out where to take that away from and.
Speaker 3: A different no doubt, that's the hard part.
Speaker 6: That is the hard part.
Speaker 4: And I think maybe there was a hope that he could have been played to a level to be the backup going into the year, but they just don't feel comfortable with that. So in that in that thought process, they would have to activate all three. In case Dak went down, they would play Cooper Rush. So yeah, that's what you were we pull away from.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, watch this play Trey Lance and to play and then him get hurt and then we don't we have him as the second quarterback and now you don't have a quarterback kind of a thing. I guess Cooper Rush would be the emergency emergency. We saw that in Cleveland last week, that Jameis Winston was the third quarterback last week and they got both their quarterbacks hurt in the game.
Speaker 3: So you can't play the third quarterback.
Speaker 2: You can't play the third quarterback. Yeah, if the other two are If the other two are out, so Cooper Rush if that was the case, make Trey Lance to two and then if you know, if if Dak goes down, finish the game with Trey Lance.
Speaker 3: Or if DA goes down, maybe say hey, Tray, yeah.
Speaker 6: This is wild, Like.
Speaker 5: I can't even picture this because that's highly unlikely that they would ever do anything like that.
Speaker 4: The forty nine ers were in a position like that in the NFC Championship Game a couple of years ago.
Speaker 6: So yeah, they can happen.
Speaker 2: But they kill for Trey Lance then yeah.
Speaker 4: So I mean Cooper Rush or Trey Lance, would you try to look at their value a little bit.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting one.
Speaker 6: I mean they're on expiring deals, you know.
Speaker 3: For Trey Lance, absolutely absolutely, I will look at that for Trey Lance. For Cooper Rush, I just until while I think the Cowboys still have a chance. I'm just not willing to sacrifice my backup quarterback, especially backup quarterback that I know from experience that I can throw in there if I need to, and he can win me a few games while my quarterback is out. So if the Cowboys are still, if they still hope that they are they can get where they're trying to go, then I just I'm not willing to give up my backup quarterback just just like that.
Speaker 6: Yep, I agree. You do have a Bendanucci as a free agent.
Speaker 3: I don't. I really don't have Benuci. Yeah, go ahead and makes a great hat. But I'm sorry, I'm just I'm not. I'm good, all right, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: On the radio, we interviewed him yesterday, did you yeah, because we asked him question about his little comments about the tours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we gotta we appreciate you guys the tours. I appreciate you guys joining us. We'll be back tomorrow for Nick Harris. Brian brought us Ambergarci. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.