Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panha, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: I quit smoking black and Wilds, so I don't have a celebratory one on me, so I can go up the street to the corner store to get one to keep the tradition going. And I gotta tell you, guys, that felt good. All right, Welcome in What's Driving the Great? Episode two ten. I'm not sure if you guys could hear that Instagram live. I hope you could. If you couldn't, doesn't matter. You know what it was about. Every day damn near annual tradition. The bills lose an excruciating fashion to the chiefs. I walk around the block smoking a black and mild on Instagram Live. Demanse was there for the one two years ago on our back deck after the thirteen seconds game. Last year, we weren't able to do it because the Bills couldn't find a way to get to the round to play the Chiefs because they lost in more embarrassing fashion at home to the Bengals the previous round. Oh my goodness, I got it's funny. Oh yeah, we did get that one. We got the Trevor Lawrence twenty seven point comeback. Oh those were simpler times. So I have a funny anecdote to share with you guys before we get the show going. So I have been getting emails from a guy named Freddie Deboor for the last year and they have been varying levels of legitimate or unhinged, depending on it. The first email that I got was long, multiple paragraphs, and the headline is you should be the adult in the room when it comes to the Bills. I'm like, okay, you know I didn't. I don't really respond to a lot of emails. I then got one a year later that said, this is beneath you, sir. I then got one moments after the Chiefs game ended that said just grow up, dude. That I hadn't even said anything yet. I hadn't gone on Instagram Live, I hadn't done the TV show that said just grow up, dude. This is embarrassing. You're a grown man. Your football team's ever struggled in your entire life, which shows mister de Boor's lack of, you know, historical knowledge of the Chiefs being one of the most tortured franchises of you know, the last thirty years. Pri Ma Homes. Lost a playoff game when they didn't punt, lost a playoff game when they scored two touchdowns of their opponents scored zero, lost a playoff game when they were up twenty eight points, lost a playoff game to Marcus Mariota when they were up twenty one to three when the game winning play was he threw a touchdown pass to his gosh star and self lost a player three times, were thirteen and three, and lost their very first playoff game at home, including a game with three miss kicks, So I'll set that aside. Well, yeah, and that wasn't even torturous because at least you knew what was going to happen.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: But what I found so interesting about these emails and it's just from like a Gmail, so I didn't know if it's real. I was like, Frederick de Boor is the name of a famous author, and so I just thought this guy was either using a fake name or it just a coincidence. And then, thanks to Ethan Strauss, I got sent to me yesterday a four thousand word of visceration of me as a person of my character who I am, written by famous author Frederick de Boer on his sub stack. So he's been emailing me the whole time. It's actually him, and he just annihilated me. I mean it's too long to go through the entirety of but oh my goodness, gracious his smel not happy with Frederick de Boor, Yeah, I mean he's a famous author. He's a sharp guy, I mean the and I think he and I probably have a lot of similar politics. I'm not certain, but man, oh man, not a fan of your guy, Nick Wright. All right, lot to do today, best week in the NFL football? Have you read one of his books? To mons? Are you looking at it? Are you looking at it?
Speaker 4: I just I just see I typed in Frederick de boor and the sub stack link popped up. It's gotta it's gotta picture you attached. I gotta go through his bookstater because I've definitely seen him on the coming.
Speaker 2: And the shameless clown industry. I mean, I mean, I'm listen. It's long, man. This is a long takedown piece that includes a link to Nick Right, biggest fraud in sports media. I mean, it's a lot of stuff here. And also, no, he's not He's a Bears fan. It also takes a totally, totally unnecessary and unfair shot at brew and Wilde's the Wild's line, he says, wild seems content to play the role of the Washington generals. Just wait for his next tea time. I mean, first of all, Wilds doesn't golf. Second of all, he's the key to the show. I mean, it is, it is. I gotta say I respected Freddy Deboor. I got no problem with it. He called me a shameless clown. I wish you had your football facts more straight. I wish you better. The idea that the Kansaony chiefs my entire life have caused anything but pain us up until the last five years is nonsense, of course, But that's fine, all right. Uh, speaking of teams that cause a lot of pain, We're gonna have to get to the Bills in a moment. But first, what missed the cut in today's show, Bill's fans throwing snowballs at Patrick Mahomes. Where's the takedown on them that could have blinded demand? Where's that substack article? Freddy? Jason kel joins Taylor Swift in a switee and Tyler bast miss is a kick? You want to know, Demonse, how I know I'm getting old. I watched Jason Kelcey jump out of that suite onto that icy concrete, and for just a second, if you watch that video, his like his feet almost go out from underneath him. And I watch it, I'm like, oh my god, that could have been a disaster. Like if Jason Kelsey jumps out, the sweetest eyes go behind him, he hits his head on the concrete. I then watch him, you know, pick up that child, which was awesome to show her to Taylor Swift so they could wave by. And I'm watching it just thinking, oh my god, don't fall, don't fall at your three hundred and thirty pounds self laying on this icy concrete and those those Jason Kelsey videos are just so many great moments because you see.
Speaker 3: The sherriff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but yeah, say that is a thing. I where I noticed that was on inside the NBA the other day when they were pranking Chuck about diet coke and Shaq grabs a diet coke and it just Dissa appears in his hand. U but yeah, Jason Kelsey say a similar thing. But watching those videos and then seeing the Sheriff's department and Taylor Swift Security, like, I don't know what we do here. We have this mountain of a man who seems to like you know, be not seems to has his heart in the right place, but this could go so sideways in so many different ways, and he is just demonstrated to the entirety of Bill's mafia, who has a massive numbers edge. It's pretty damn easy to get in and out of this suite. Like maybe mentally you thought that was not doable, but you see this drunk lunatic do it with these and you might be like, we can get up there. The whole thing's amazing.
Speaker 3: Amazing on the guy, which guy was that?
Speaker 2: Oh no, that the owner Dave Tepper, the owner, owner of the team that threw his drink at the guy. All right, demand let's get to the actual show.
Speaker 4: All right, so we all know what happened this weekend. Obviously, the Bills lost, the Chiefs their routine loss, like you said, But which outcome is the bigger story here? The Chiefs win or the Bills loss? And why do you think? Why do you think they lost?
Speaker 3: And what is it? What does it say about the team?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean the bigger story is the Bill's loss. The Chiefs made the AFC Championship game. That's not a story. That is what happens until further notice. Brew got Brew and I got into it a bit yesterday when he the question was are people underestimating Mahomes? And I was like yeah, and he was like, it's not underestimating him to not pick him to win the super Bowl every year. No one wins the super Bowl every year. And I made I thought the very fair point of But last week wasn't the super Bowl. Last week was to get to the AFC Title Game. And you know what does happen every year? Mahomes plays in that game, literally every year. It's never not happened the last playoff game. That last year the Chiefs didn't play in the AFC title game, Mahomes wasn't the starter. That's the year they blew a twenty one to three lead at home de Marcus Marioti when he threw a touchdown pass to himself. Mister Debor, with my lifetime of great Chiefs memories, I remember that quite well. Now. That team had Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelsey, by the way, all right, we'll get to the Chiefs in a moment. The bigger story is the Bill's loss, and it is a story for a number of reasons, all right. But the biggest reason is the Buffalo Bills are so scared of Josh Allen they have made him less of a scary opponent. So in that game, Josh Allen completed sixteen passes behind the line of scrimmage. Josh Allen only completed two passes five yards downfield, and only those two passes, only two passes down pass the sticks. One of them was one of the best plays you'll ever see somebody make the role to his left touchdown pass to Khalil Shakir. But what you have seen is since the Buffalo Bills switched coordinators from Ken Dorsey to Joe Brady. They have operated their offense and their team in a way that says, we don't trust our quarterback and so we are going to put a governor on him. Since Joe Brady took over, Josh Allen has thrown for two hundred and fifty yards two fifty one time. That was the Dolphins game, the final game of the regular season. In that game, not coincidentally, he had three turnovers. The Buffalo Bills do not believe you can get the best of Josh Allen without the worst of Josh Allen, and so they operated as if they could cobbled together the end of their season without utilizing their biggest weapon, which is Josh Allen's cannon of an arm. And as someone who has gone up against this team year after year, I've got to tell you this version that they turned him into these last two months is the least scary, the version of check down. Don't make a mistake, take just or you don't don't throw into any tight windows, just take what's there. And the reason I find so much of the commentary surrounding this player so maddening is everyone is amazed and enamored with what he can do without seeming to acknowledge that what he can't do is reach those reach back and get those peaks without the terrible, terrible valleys. And what makes what distinguishes the very good from the great and the great from the legends, is those guys' ability to tap into their their absolute best while keeping their absolute worst at bay. And the Bills turned their offense into the Titans with Ryan with Derrick Henry, except Josh Allen was the Derrick Henry and what he does as a runner is remarkable, no doubt about it, and it's a massive weapon. But what you saw during this winning streak is they were trying to win despite their best player, not because of their best player, and that makes them incredibly beatable. The Chiefs made so many huge mistakes, most notably fumbling at the one in the fourth quarter on first down with a chance to put the game away. They won mahomes early in the game on the first drive, missed two straight passes they might have been only two misses of the night in the end zone for touchdowns, had to settle for a field goal. The Chiefs gave up a third and seventeen on the first drive. More on that play in a moment. We're talking more on it right now. Gave up a third and seventeen when Josh threw the forward pass lateral and then missed the opportunity to challenge the play. There were four fumbles in this game. The Bills recovered three of them. The only one the Chiefs recovered was Mahomes or Hardman's first won. So all of those breaks went for Buffalo, and despite all of it, they were still on the losing end. And it's not because of a field goal, guys, because it was because of the So DEMONSEI let me ask you this. If Bass makes that kick, what do you think happens in the next minute forty with two timeouts?
Speaker 4: It's a tie game. I've put some sort of pressure on Mahomes. I mean, you at least give defense a chance I go out there and stop them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Mahomes had scored touchdowns on three of his previous five drives, one that he didn't. Hardman fumbled at the one the Chiefs had moved the ball at will. The idea that if Bass makes that kick, it's anything other than a different type of heartbreak for Buffalo is foolish. And that's then where so if you were the Bills, you have made well, there's a couple. There's one grievous mistake. The Bills is a franchise made in the quest to take down the Chiefs, and that's the von Miller deal. Demon's don't look at this, Okay, So von Miller in the AFC title game, I'm sorry. In the divisional round, von Miller had two tackles, no sacks. Okay. On the season. He played fourteen games this year, coming off the torn acl On the season, give me a guess on how many tackles and sacks von Miller had. Who is the Bill's highest paid player other than Josh Allen.
Speaker 3: On the fourteen gamey tackles.
Speaker 2: Over fourteen games, he had two tackle, zero sacks in the divisional round.
Speaker 4: The other thirteen games, I'll give him six seventeen eighteen tackles tackles, not seventy sacks.
Speaker 3: I call it one to call it three, okay.
Speaker 2: So von Miller going into the divisional round had three tackles and zero sacks on the season. In the divisional round, he had his best game of the year. Two tackles, and zero sacks. He is next year a cap hit of twenty three million dollars and it costs you thirty two million dollars to cut him. Now, it's unlucky and unfortunate von towards acl on his first year with the team. But you signed a mid thirties pass rusher with an injury history to a six year, one hundred and twenty million dollar deal. You did a lot of win right now moves, and now those Bills are coming due and you won nothing. You in back to back years had your rival come into your building, be it Joe Burrow or Patrick Mahomes in the divisional round, and in back to back years they beat you. The Buffalo Bills have been on five game or longer winning streaks going into playoff games each of the last four years against Mahomes in Burrow and are zero to four in those spots. And so now you've got a really, really tough offseason. You're probably gonna bring McDermott back. I think the smart thing for them would be to call up Bill Belichick and see if he wants that job. I don't think they're gonna do that. And then you have to ask yourself what can Josh b to get his best? Is he? Is it just the cost of doing business that he's gonna lead the league in turnovers? Or is there a way to tap into him at his best without getting those head scratching, game altering turnovers.
Speaker 4: Because go ahead with that being said, do you think that Josh Allen played well?
Speaker 3: Do you think that this loss falls on him? Or is it?
Speaker 2: I thought he played. I thought he played really well given what he was asked to do for the first three quarters and then he was absolutely brutal in the fourth. It's not deniable, and I'm so surprised folks have been afraid to say this. Through three quarters, Josh, they put a governor on him. He played within it. He never put the ball in jeopardy. He was deadly with his legs. There were no wow throws, wow big plays, but he was taking what the defense gave him. Because the Chiefs went into that game saying, if you're going to stay committed to the run the entirety of the game, we're gonna give it to you. And the Bills for a long time were with Josh and with Cook, and they were moving the ball. They had zero plays of twenty plus yards, but they were moving the ball, they weren't committing devastating penalties, and they were right there. And then they got a little nervous and did the fake punt, but the Chiefs gave the ball right back to him on the fumble. And then in the fourth quarter, after completing seventy five percent of his passes, he completed fifty percent of his passes. In the fourth quarter, after never putting the ball in jeopardy, he had what should have been the game losing fumble six and instead the Tamari Connor I think was Jamarry Connor tried to scoop it and score and he just lost it and Dalton Kincaid made the play. And then in the fourth quarter on the biggest drive, he couldn't help himself but go for the kill shots instead of doing what he had been doing the whole game. And that is so let's go through that last drive, the last drive of the season. What happened. So the Bills are moving the ball down the field, they are trying to play this delicate dance of they are trailing, but they are also trying to bleed clock because the organization is so irreparably scarred by the thirteen seconds game. So every time they're taking forty off the play clock, forty off the play clock, forty off the play clock, and me, as a Chiefs fan, I'm starting to get a little nervous because they might be able to pick up six eight yards at a time, bleed the clock, and then if they score a touchdown with thirty seconds remaining, the Chiefs are down four instead of three, and you're in a really rough spot. But there was a moment that I think changed the football game, and it was the first play of that last drive. And this is the point that it is very odd to me nobody else has picked up on. Josh Is playing within himself, has thrown one deep pass the entirety of the game, and it was in a spot that kind of demanded it. And then the very first play of that last drive, he throws one of the best deep balls you will ever see to Digs down the sideline. And it wouldn't It's not like that's an easy catch. Anytime a ball goes sixty five yards in the air and there's your you know, covered, that's never an easy catch. But it's a damn near perfect pass that Diggs as could have caught and he didn't, And in my opinion, that play being right there changed how Josh played the rest of that drive, because all of a sudden, six plays later, you're third and ten, Josh scrambles and instead of recognizing we're going forward on fourth no matter what, get it to fourth and three and we're fine, he tries to do too much again and fumbles the ball and that and you get no blame because the Chiefs didn't recover it, but he had nothing to do with who recovered it. So that's the first big what are you doing? Then a few plays later you've got second and nine. It is the two minute warning. You were at the twenty six as, Yes, a touchdown would be great. What you could argue would be even better. There is a first down. A first down in that spot is certainly not a bad thing. You're the two minute warning. The Chiefs have to start burning timeouts, and you have Stefan Diggs wide open over the middle for an easy ten to fifteen yards and that's the play. He takes the shot to Khalil Shakir. That credit to Chris Jones. That's what the money's for. He pushed Dion Dawkins Dawkin's self right into Josh and the pass comes up short. Then it's third and nine, and again Josh goes for the kill shot instead of doing what he had done the whole game. And that's the difference. That those are the moments, those are the things that the guys who are in the discussion for second best player in the league need to be better on. And so was the loss on him well as much as whenever you're the best player on your team and you don't have a great game. To a degree it is. And I've heard people in the last two days talk about what a great game he played. For three quarters, he was excellent, and then the biggest drive of their season, he fumbled the ball and missed two big passes. It's just what happened.
Speaker 4: And now you've got he didn't he the receiver missed one of those passes for him.
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about the second and nine and the third and nine. No, he didn't miss the past to Diggs. No, no, no, I'm talking about Yes, I'm not saying he.
Speaker 3: Only missed the bomb. I what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about the final two passes of his year, second and nine and third nine from the twenty six he missed him. You had digs open over the middle, you took the kill shot to Shakir and you had by the way, even on that third and nine, you can say, uh, Bass missing the kick is not on the quarterback. It's not but forty four yards in the wind outdoors. When the kickers missed too the previous week. That's not a chip shot. It's not a GIMMEI it's not the the field goal the Chiefs kick to win the Super Bowl last year, when they kneel at the one and you have the shortest possible field goal in perfect conditions. That's not what it was. All Right, what's the last Bill's follow up before we get to the Chiefs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what's the What do you think happens with Allen and Diggs?
Speaker 4: Do you think there's been a problem with them?
Speaker 3: You know? Do you think he will be on the Bills next year? I don't think he don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, it's one of two things. Either Stefan Diggs early in the year just hit a drastically different phase of his career and is not the same player, or it is that he and Josh Allen something happened because Stefan Diggs through the first six weeks of the year was averaging one hundred yards per game and a touchdown agame games one through six. Stefan Diggs the rest of the regular season averaged fifty yards per game and had three total touchdowns, and then in the playoffs averaged thirty five yards per game and had zero touchdowns. Diggs receiving yards since the coordinator change, since they put this governor on Josh, here's Diggs's yards and touchdowns twenty four and zero forty eight and zero twenty nine and zero twenty six and zero eighty seven and zero fifty two and zero twenty one and zero. So something's going on there, and it's a big cap hit with a big personality, and so the Bills just got a det If I were the Bills, I would, for good or for bad, let Josh be Josh and hope that one of these years he gets he's on a hot streak when the playoffs start. I would not try to coach working against what makes my players special. And that's what they did because they felt they couldn't trust him and that that's gonna put a ceiling on your team. All right next to Monse.
Speaker 4: All Right, so the Chiefs fin the AFC Championship Game for the sixth straight year. Could you please do me a favor and put this in historical context. I need to hear about with this grand scheme.
Speaker 2: I'd love to so, obviously, and then I'll tell you about how they how they did it. The So, the most consecutive AFC title games ever is eight by the twenty eleven to twenty eighteen Pats. This is obviously the second most, but take the consecutive portion out of it. Now only Joe Oh Montana. I think it's Montana who went to seven and Tom Brady went to fourteen have been there's one guy with seven. I can't remember if it's Manning or Montana. But Mahomes now is tied for the third most conference championship game appearances in NFL history. He has done it six times in his first six years. The other context of these playoff victories, and this is what I don't think that folks have fully wrapped their mind around, is where Mahomes is historically now. So he now has thirteen playoff wins. Okay, Aaron Rodgers eleven, Troy Aikman has eleven. Brett Favre tied with Mahomes at thirteen. If he he wins on Sunday, he ties Terry Bradshaw, who went to won four Super Bowls, John Elway, who won two and went to five Super Bowls, and Peyton Manning who went to four and won two Super Bowls, with fourteen playoff victories. If Mahomes wins Sunday, the all time quarterback playoff victory's list will be thirty five for Tom Brady, sixteen for Joe Montana, and then Mahomes, Manning, Bradshawn Elway with fourteen. He's twenty eight years old. The Chiefs just became the first team in NFL history to win two or more playoff games in five consecutive seasons. The Chiefs, in the entirety of their history before Mahomes took over, went to the AFC Title Game three times, hosted it zero. Since Mahomes took over, They've been there six times, hosted it five. The Chiefs all year long were told what was wrong with them, and yet once again find themselves in the same place they found themselves every year, playing in one of the final three games of the year. See if they can play in the final game of the year. So how did they do it by following their exact I almost cursed gosh darn plan that everyone questioned despite the fact that they won the Super Bowl last year. The Chiefs made a philosophical decision that we have on our roster the single most valuable non quarterback in the league in Tyreek Hill. We are going to take that one diamond of an asset and change how our team is built. We are going to use that to free up money and acquire draft picks to try to on the fly build a dominant defense. And the reason we believe we can do it is because we believe that by the playoffs, no matter who Patrick is throwing to, he can make it work. And Patrick Mahomes rewarded them by playing the Buffalo by in the first playoff game, playing the best below freezing temperature game in NFL history, game that the entire discussion was man the Dolphin sure looked cold while Patrick was out there throwing absolute no pun intended frozen ropes to guys. With the development of the rookie receiver who had a buck thirty that weekend, who's progress and maturation, they didn't thwart by bringing in band aid veteran receivers, and in the following week Patrick rewarded them by before the kneel downs, the Chiefs were averaging nine yards a play a play, the most in any playoff game in the Mahomes era. And you know who they opened the second half up with on first and ten down. What were they down?
Speaker 1: Four?
Speaker 2: A bomb to Mark wes Valdez Scantling, who they then hit again later in the game on a bomb down the field. All year long, I have had to hear Mahomes should yell at these guys. Mahomes should stop having faith in these guys. Mahomes should stop throwing to these guys. And all year long they said, you know what, the best player the league has ever seen is going to keep showing faith in you. You're a champion, NBS. You made a huge play in the playoffs us last year. We believe that if we don't throw you under the bus. And at one point I was done with him, showed up Mahomes on the field, go ahead to Mina.
Speaker 4: Are the fans wrong for not believing in the receivers. Mahomes has to believe in his receivers. But like people.
Speaker 2: I don't mind your fans, I don't mind the fans getting frustrated. It was the rest of my colleagues in the media acting as if there wasn't a plan in place, and the plan was by the end of the year, one of our young receivers will step up. And that's where she Rice that Travis Kelcey, despite looking his age at various points during the year, a guy who is now six catches away from breaking Jerry Rice's unbreakable postseason receptions record, Travis kelce who just he and Mahomes broke the Brady Gronk unbreakable postseason touchdowns record, that that guy is going to be at his best and that Patrick will find a way with the others. And it is exactly what happened. So that's how they did it. And listen, this week they have a hell of a challenge and it is it is not a guarantee, but the reason that I feel the wrong team is favored this week.
Speaker 3: Is that.
Speaker 2: So it is by the way, it is Joe Montana who had the seven conference championship game starts. Uh Steve Young is listed, but he didn't start all seven. Neither did stallbacks, so he's taught, he's won away from Montana. But it's why I, well, i'll explain why I think the wrong team's favored. Demonse when you ask this follow.
Speaker 4: Up question, Yeah, so, uh are do you think people you have? Do you think people are still under rating Mahomes?
Speaker 2: And uh so that's so No, so that's perfect. So here's what I'll tell you Patrick, since he took over is let's just say Brady is in a separate category of everyone else. I think Mahomes is gonna catch him, but let's just put Brady somewhere else. I don't ever mention this stat even though it's very very obvious one because it, uh it kind of works against the Mahomes goat argument. But it's a stunning statistic. Patrick. Mahomes has played two playoff games against Tom Brady. He's owing two in his other fourteen playoff games against every other quarterback who's ever lived. He's thirteen and one, and the one was an overtime loss to Joe Burrow that included the only bad half of playoff football Patrick's ever played. That one. He has to wear that there was one half he was not himself and Burrow took advantage thirteen and one against quarterbacks not named Brady. Of those thirteen wins, eight of them the Chiefs trailed by a touchdown. Since Mahomes took over, the Chiefs are eight and two in the playoffs when they trail by a touchdown or more the rest of the league. That's eighty percent. The rest of the league wins seventeen percent of those games. Well, what about the rest of quarterback mount Rushmore. Brady played twenty one playoff games where his team trailed by a touchdown or more ten and eleven. That's forty five percent. Montana in playoff games his team trailed by more than a touchdown one forty percent. Peyton in playoff games his team trailed by a touchdown or more three and nine, twenty five percent. Mahomes is eight and two now, and so it's not just that he is first all time in play off win percentage, playoff yards per game, playoff touchdown interception ratio, playoff completion percentage and playoff quarterback rating, and playoff yards per attempt, every single quarterbacking category in the postseason's first all time. It's that he's thirteen and one against everyone but Brady and one of those losses to Brady was the old never got to touch the ball in overtime loss, where he executed three fourth quarter comebacks. Three times they were trailing in the fourth quarter and he brought them back, including once getting the ball with thirty seconds left. So, yes, people are underestimating him because it is not a Brady Manning era. It is Tiger versus the field. It is Gretzki versus the rest of the NHL. There is one guy, and then the gap between whommever is second and whomever is fifth is so much closer than the gap between him and whomever is second. And so it doesn't mean they're gonna win the Super Bowl every year, and you know, once every four years or so he might have a bad playoff moment. But to circle it back to the Chiefs, what they have now created, which is something Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Joe Montana all took massive advantage of, is they can now win playoff games if he were to play poorly. And that's where before we move on to the other games. That's the other part of this that I don't think people recognize is and I'm just gonna use Montana Manning and Brady as the standard, because I don't think that, or I do think that that is now pretty universally accepted as the quarterback mount Rushmore Mahomes, Montana, Manning, Brady. If you look at how those guys won their Super Bowls. Joe Montana the year he won his first Super Bowl in the Conference championship game through three picks. Joe Montana in the year he won his second Super Bowl in the first round, threw three picks, his defense allowed ten points in the Conference championship game, threw two picks, had a sixty passer rating, his defense shut out the Bears. And then Joe Montana's last two Super Bowls he was basically perfect both playoff runs. But Montana's first two rings. He was objectively bad in three of the four games leading up to the Super Bowl, and his great defense bailed him out, and then he was excellent in the Super Bowl. Tom Brady when he won his first Super Bowl. The first game zero touchdown, the first game of the playoffs, zero touchdowns, one pick, a seventy rating, second game one hundred and fifteen yards passing, zero touchdowns, zero picks and eighty four rating. The Super Bowl one hundred and forty five yards, passing, one touchdown, zero picks. His second Super Bowl, he was awesome in it. In the two games leading up to it, his defense allowed fourteen points both he had a seventy three rating and a seventy six rating. And then he got rolling. But even when he got rolling, when they what's the game, I'm forgetting the Oh they didn't win the super Bowl that year, But in twenty eleven in the AFC Title Game, he had zero touchdowns, two picks of fifty eight rating and they won because those teams, they built out teams that could win even if he struggled, and Peyton Manning his playoff line. The year they won the Super Bowl in Indy. Forget Denver, the year in Denver when he was a shell of himself and in the Super Bowl had one hundred and forty yards and a fifty six rating and no touchdowns. Forget that the year in the peak of his prime, that Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl. People have memory, hold this. In that run to the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl included Peyton Manning had three touchdowns and seven interceptions and had a passer rating of seventy for the postseason and that's how he got his first ring. And the Chiefs have been trying to build out a team that doesn't have to have Patrick be great every time. Luckily for them, thus far in his career he has been so Yeah, folks are underestimating him and the goddamn defending champions. Quick break right Back, What's Right? Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Right? Episode two ten In this episode is brought to you by US Bank. Winter can be a drag. Thankful we have sports to get us through the early part of the year, and if you ask me, nothing goes together quite like food and sports, especially this time of year. You got the NFL Playoffs, Pro basketball going on, you don't really have to go outside until the weather finally gets warm and the US Bank Altitude Go Visa signature card provides the perfect way to earn rewards, whether watching your team with other fans at a local restaurant or in the comfort of your living room. Earn four times points when you dine out or have food delivered. You can order a pizza and watch the game on your big screen TV, and you can earn two times points at grocery stores, which is great if you're staying at home, maybe making some nachos or wings, and if you're willing to brave the elements, even getting to the game can be rewarding, as you're learned two times points at gas stations and ev charging stations. Go to usbank dot com slash altitude go to learn more about how you can earn twenty thousand bonus points worth two hundred bucks if you spend one thousand dollars in the first ninety days of opening your account. Score big with the US Bank Altitude go visa signature card. Visit usbank dot com slash altitude go to apply and live every day your way. Limited time offer. Creditor and issure of this bank is Usbank National Association pursuing to a license from vc USA, Incorporated. Some restrictions may apply. All right, demanse, let we spent forty five minutes. You wouldn't stop talking on chiefs bills. So let's get to the other games from the weekend. Go right ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Rock Party did exactly what you what you asked him to, pa, I did what you didn't. I'm not gonna I'm not caping for Rock Party anymore. That game sucked. He didn't do anything. It was did not look great. But could you can you finally admit that there's nothing that he can do to make you a believer?
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. What an hot circumstance that game? Oh listen? Uh so? I so David Lombardi, who I guess you know, writes for The Athletic and is a beat reporter. But he is the same person who had the sense deleted tweet that brock Purty is, you know, Drew Brees's accuracy combined with Lamar Jackson's athleticism. That guy he wrote an article. Yeah, that was a real tweet that existed, saying brock Purty answered every single doubt and criticism by delivering a comeback playoff drive that has immediately become part of forty nine ers legend. That's what Joe Montana used to do. And I wrote, honest to God, if that's your takeaway from this game, I truly questioned your ability to coachonally, watch analyze, and discuss football, and I stand by that. So it was a weird spot because perty did check Like I set up these theoretical boxes to check, and he checked them all in one drive. Down in the game, huge game, not with all the Avengers, and he executed the game winning drive that happened. What's unfortunate for the Brock party discourse is the previous three hours of football were on television two and he was awful. And so yes, you do get credit for that game winning drive. Yes, that is critically important, but it was kind of Perty and Josh Allen's games were kind of the bizarro versions of themselves, where Josh played really as well as you can play up until the end, and Perdy played as poorly as you can play up until the end. And he was very, very lucky was Brock that that game was not out of reach. Attempted to throw two pick sixes. The Packers got hosed on a couple early spots when they went for it on that fourth down, not so much on the fourth down sneak, but on the third down play when I think they thought they were inches away, but they spotted him a full yard short. A lot of ways, not to mention obviously the missed kick where that game should have been out of reach but it wasn't. But here and people can say, Nick, you hold him to an unfair standard. I hold him to the standard of I was being called an asshole for not saying he could be the MVP of the league. Like a Brew yesterday said that I was moving the goal posts, and I understand that, but in my opinion, the real goalpost moving is now. Folks are like, well, he's young, and he was the last pick of the draft, let's evaluate him on that metric. If we want to evaluate him on that metric, I give him a round of applause. If you want to valuate him on the metric he was discussed all year, which is he might be the MVP of the league and he's set in records. Did you watch the game? And I ask the same question that I was asking all year. Were people having a discussion about a player being league MVP when forget is he the best player on his own team? We all know he's not. The more honest question is this, is he the weak link of the Niners. Yes? The answer is yes. I'll tell you this much. I don't know what the weather for cast for Santa Clara isn't on Sunday, but if it's supposed to rain, I think the Niners should ask Detroit if they want to host the game. I think the Niners would rather play a road game in a dome than watch Rock Purty play another game in the rain. And so I am I understand I'm being stubborn on this. I'm not wrong. And credit to him for that final drive. Honestly, I do give him credit for that, and it does matter. But we all saw that game and how bad he was and how lucky he was that it was not way out of hand very early because of his mistakes. And let's see how this next weekend goes, because the discussion is gonna go real quick depending if this weekend goes poorly, if Brock plays poorly against this defense in Detroit and they lose.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's the that's this year. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Let's just monitor what the Kirk Cousins discussions are. Kirk is the guy Kyle always wanted, and let's just monitor what they are, all right, Let's go to the next thing.
Speaker 4: Demise all right, man, Lamar Jackson, he silenced the haters this weekend. How impressed were you with Lamar Jackson and the Ravens overall performance?
Speaker 3: But more so, Lamar.
Speaker 2: Jackson wildly impressed. There's no yeah butts here I was nervous for the Ravens at halftime, demanse, Yeah, Baltimore had dominated that game defensively, and then they give up that punt return and all of a sudden, it's ten ten at the half, and you're like, oh no, this is gonna happen again. Lamar's gonna have a mediocre game. They're gonna have some weird bounces go against them. This is what I was thinking. And Houston's gonna win, and there is going to be an off season of a visceration of Lamar, who even though I have doubted him and doubted the team, I like him. I like how Lamar is authentically himself. I hated how, in my opinion, the whole league colluded against him. I haven't believed in the Ravens, but I like I root for Lamar independent of it. And then he came out in the second half and whooped everybody as he came out in the second half and looked like an MVP. And now, in my opinion, he's in a can't lose situation. So Lamar doesn't have to win the Super Bowl this year. He had to not go one and done in the playoffs. Go ahead, it seems like you might disagree with the camp. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Everybody's kind of I think overstayed in this win to the Texans this weekend. I think they were ten point favorites, like they were supposed to win this game, and I just think everybody's I get this.
Speaker 3: CJ.
Speaker 4: Strouty's awesome, this his first year, but Lamar was supposed to. I think that if they lose this next round, I do think it's still on his back.
Speaker 3: I think he needs to win this next round too. But here's the thing, it's just a.
Speaker 2: He would I would agree with you if he were playing anyone but mahomes right.
Speaker 4: If he loses, I guess I'm not taking into a camp killing playing the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, I'm just saying, like, if the if the chief like, think about what the storyline Monday is gonna be. If the Chiefs win, it is not gonna be tearing down Lamar, because every it will just be they beat everyone. It will be they dispatched if Josh Allen, they dispatched it to a they dispatched of Lamar. It will be about though, right, it will just be about the Chiefs being inevitable. Now, if Lamar has three picks a fumble as a brutal game, then I guess that's a different story. But what he he didn't just need a win this weekend. He needed to play a kick ass game because he had. The weird thing about the Lamar playoff thing is he had won a game before, he had won a playoff game before. He just had never played well in a game. And in this game, he throws for one fifty runs for one hundred, throws for two runs for two. He did everything. He was their.
Speaker 3: Offense a long time.
Speaker 2: No, they have not, and the Ravens tend to do really well against teams that are unfamiliar with them. Now, Mahomes and we can talk about there's more on Friday. And again it's totally different team, different personnel, all of it. But mahomes numbers against Baltimore are legit cartoonish. I'll just give you the Mahomes career like even by.
Speaker 3: Mahomes tame they played that.
Speaker 2: Baltimore beat him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Baltimore one.
Speaker 2: By one at thirty six thirty five. But here is Mahomes in his career against the Ravens, first game ever, three hundred and seventy seven yards, two tops downs, and one of the coolest plays you'll ever see. They had a fourth and forever down four, and Mahomes scrambled around forever it was on fourth and long and found Tyreek Hill fifty yards down the field. That was mahomes first year as a starter. Is one of my favorite Mahomes plays ever. So three seventy seven and two touchdowns in their first meeting. Their second meeting, the Chiefs won by five. He had three seventy four and three touchdowns their third meeting.
Speaker 3: Are you saying the numbers are Lamar Jackson's numbers Mahomes's numbers? Oh all right, God, you thought I was.
Speaker 2: Saying Lamar's numbers. I'll give you Lamar's numbers and games. No I was, no, no, no, I was saying that.
Speaker 3: No. I just that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Against Baltimore, No, no, no. So the Mahomes in the first matchup three seventy seven and two scores, in the second matchup three seventy four and three scores, in the third matchup three eighty five and four scores, and in the fourth matchup the one they lost three forty three and three scores. So Mahomes averages three hundred and fifty yards passing in three touchdowns per game with a one to twenty rating against the Ravens. It's the basically the best numbers he has against any team. Lamar in those games against in Chiefs, I could give you his numbers as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, would you say this is the best defense the Ravens have had in those five years or however long it's been.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would, And now it's obviously also the best defense the Chiefs have had. Lamar in the first matchup threw for one fifty and two scores and then ran for seventy. In the second matchup threw for two to sixty and no scores, but ran for fifty with a touchdown. In the third matchup threw for ninety seven and one score, but ran for eighty three. And in the fourth matchup, the one they won, threw for two forty and one score, ran for one hundred and two scores. So he had won great game against the Chiefs, and it was the one two years ago that they won. In Week two, it's gonna be an awesome game.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Next?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, so you got to skip the Lions.
Speaker 4: You guys can't talk about them on your show, your TV show, So let's use the pop talk about it. You want to give them some credit. I want to shine some light on that each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I've just really really impressed. I am sad about Baker, but the right team one, I mean, there's no there's no shame in that. The right team one. And Golf has been awesome. The Tampa wasn't able to get pressure on him, and he's been excellent. And the Lions are more than live dogs this weekend. And I'm not gonna spend a ton of time on it here either, to be honest with you, all'll spend more times the week goes on, just because we're late in the show. But that's a that's a great win, and I really hope we get game one as game two eighty five. Game one of the season was Lions Chiefs Game two eighty five. Being Lions Chiefs would be pretty awesome. The Lions, though, the defense getting a little better, and Golf in that offense kicking ass. They're they're a legit. I think that we ended up with the four teams remaining the fore most deserving teams. San Francisco, Detroit, Baltimore, Kansas City. Those are your four best teams in football. I thought Dallas was in there. A lot of people pretended throughout the year Buffalo was in there. But those are your four best teams in the league from start to finish of the season. And those are the four teams last left standing, all right.
Speaker 3: Next laden the Bucks lost to the Lions.
Speaker 4: Tampa was stopped, was storming back and went for two down eight, and Todd Bowlesden call a timeout even though they would see, yeah, you didn't call it timeout when they could have and tried. He could have won the game, but they just let the cock ran out? Yeah, like what what what happened there? I know you love these little bits.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I saw the Lions thing happening in real time and I was shocked by it. And it wasn't mentioned on the broadcast. We'll talk about the down to down fourteen Gopher two in a moment. So here was the situation, and it was stunning. I tweeted in real time about it. You can see it on the screen. So the Lions got the ball with a minute thirty three and Tampa had one timeout. Okay, that should be essentially game over. If you take those long knees where you back up a few yards, you can take call it forty three seconds a play off. There's one hundred and three seconds left in the game. I'm sorry, no, I have that wrong. There's ninety three seconds left in the game. But the Lions, of of course, or the Bucks have a timeout. So if you go forty three forty three, you take off eighty six of the ninety three seconds. The Bucks have used one timeout to take off another three seconds on that play, You've now used ninety of the ninety three and the game is essentially over. So when the Lions intercepted Tampa, everyone on the Bucks basically acted as if the game was over. Understand that, I don't think you have to use your time out if the game is going to end on a knee, just to say you did it. But golfked up. Golf. They took a knee, and I just did a timeout signal part no One. They took a knee, and no one called timeout. And then instead of taking his next knee with one second on the play clock, he will hold on. Instead of taking his next knee with one second on the play clock, he took it with seventeen seconds on the play clock. So when that happened the first time Golf took a knee, that's when I tweeted, what is he doing that? Now you're gonna have to do something on fourth down. Tampa still didn't call timeout. Golf then I think thought Tampa was out of timeouts. Took his next knee when he could have waited until there were twenty five seconds left. Took his next knee early again and took it at thirty six seconds. Now it is fourth down, okay, from the thirty there there are thirty six seconds left, and you have a timeout. You and guys are shaking hands, but you have a timeout Tampa, and Bulls said there would have been twelve seconds. No, that's wrong. That is bait. What Bulls was saying is based on the idea that Golf was gonna take the full forty. But he didn't. He screwed up. I think that was a coaching mistake by the Lions and a mistake by Golf. If Todd Bowles calls timeout, Detroit is now in this spot, they have the ball on the thirty, they are up eight. There are thirty six seconds left in this football game. What are you doing. None of the options are great options. You want to kick a field goal to win the game. I guess if you miss it. Now there's thirty seconds left, Tampa's almost at midfield. Okay, that's not a great option. There's thirty five seconds left, so you can't like just run around on fourth down. So you're gonna punt the ball, I guess. But that then opens up to a potential blocked punt. But regardless, it would have been Tampa's ball, worst case scenario ninety yards away with thirty seconds left, not four seconds left, thirty seconds left. So it was a huge gaff by Detroit to allow that to be possible, and an equally huge gaff by Tampa to not recognize that was happening, so that that was no good. Now, the going for two when you score a touchdown when you're down fourteen late, it is so at this point well documented why you want to do it that I don't even really want to spend time on it. And I hear people saying, ah, what does analytics take into account that Detroit's better than this, that the other guys. If you just kick two extra points, your best case scenario is overtime. The folks act like the goals to get to overtime the goals to win. So if we like, I could game out the math for you and show you why it is by legitimately like, not by a couple percentage points, by twenty five percent a better option. I'll just do it very quickly. Okay, let's just assume extra points are made one hundred percent of the time. Okay, which they're not, but give you that. If you're down fourteen points, you need the only way you can win is to score. If you're just gonna kick extra points, is to score three times, right, touchdown, touchdown, and then something else in overtime or later in the game, whatever it is. We all agree that it doesn't matter what you do unless you get at least two touchdowns. And actually it doesn't matter what you do unless you get a third score. So if you are down fourteen, kick the extra point, kick the extra point, then you need to go score again. If you are down fourteen and you go for two and you get it, then a touch You don't need a third score. You just need the next touchdown. If you are down fourteen and you go for two and you don't get it, you then have another opportunity to get it the second time around. That's why you do it. It's it is as again I said, I wasn't gonna do the math, but I will do the math real quick. Let's just all let's just take these probabilities, and by the way, I am going to give you demons here the most and tie this strategy. Probabilities meaning field goals are ninety five or extra points are ninety five percent, call them one hundred. Two point conversions are like fifty five percent, call them fifty and I will explain. And overtime is it depends on who you're playing, but call it fifty okay.
Speaker 3: If you just.
Speaker 2: Kick the extra point, okay, and you get your two touchdowns, your odds of winning are what fifty percent? Right, because you're going to overtime. Do we all agree on that? Okay? So if you just do it the old school way, call it fifty percent. Again, it's lower than that because extra points are not guaranteed. But give it to you. If you go the gopher two down fourteen route, here's the probabilities you have to add up. You have gopher two and get your two point conversion that's a fifty percent chance you get it, and then you win the game. Because we're again on all the things. We are assuming you're scoring twice, you're making your extra points, but then you are adding you are adding to your chances there the whole go for two, don't get it, that's fifty percent, and then when you score the second time, you get it. That time, this is fifty percent of fifty percent, So now it's seventy five. You add that percentage to the other one. You are increasing your chances of winning the game by half. It's that simple. And now you are increasing your chances of losing in regulation by half, but not of losing the game outright. If we had a chalkboard, I could draw it out for you. But if you don't understand it, or if you think, oh, but that doesn't factor in, yes it does. And the argument that I keep hearing, which is doesn't factor in the Detroit's better guys. You definitely want to do this if you're the underdog, because it's the way to prevent overtime, which if you are the underdog, you want the game to be shortened and come down to as few plays as possible. I didn't mean to end the show on a math lesson, but I just can't believe people don't understand it yet. So here's what I want to do for our final segment. Let's do our game. So take quick break, come back play two wrongs in a right. We'll do that so Demanse can talk Jordan Love. We'll do all that next What's Right?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Right? Episode two ten. There's been a very long episode, demons. Let's we're gonna get to our game. Two wrongs in a right. But I'm putting I'm turning the tables on you. I'm gonna redo the Jordan Love question. Jordan Love's breakout first year came to an end. Packers might make him one of the NFL's highest paid quarterbacks in this offseason. Jordan Love is top five, a franchise quarterback or fool's gold, which one is right?
Speaker 4: We're gonna call him a franchise quarterback. Can't call him fools gold, can't call him top five because he's definitely not top five right now. But that picked that he threw at the end, I kind of sadly, kind of felt like the game was was already over there. Uh, that was a that's just something you got to clean up on. But there's always next year. And I like, I like what I saw this year, And honestly, the Packers probably had one of the most successful seasons of any team in the NFL this year, right up there with the Texans.
Speaker 2: Everything you said except for the game was over there because they're only down three. Learned from that mistake, and now you don't feel great about the kicker, especially after you heard and I know Lafleur's pissed that this got out in the media, but that he told in the pregame meeting when they about the kicker struggles, he was like, yeah, I just pray every time he kicks, Like, yikes, buddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the no, they had the teams that feel the best about their season, Demons, It is going to go. Whoever wins the super Bowl will be won. I think the Lions are probably gonna be two, no matter what happened to the rest of the way. They're obviously one if they win it, and then I think three and four.
Speaker 4: Is Packers, Texans, honestly by Texans Ravens. After that, baby, well, the Ravens will be a weird spot because if they lose this weekend, they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Feel like, ah, we were so close. So it depends on how these weekends go. But yeah, I and you saw it in Joydan.
Speaker 4: We've got the stuff to work with. We've we've we've got this stuff to work with. Super young team youngest. You don't want to say not a green Bay guy.
Speaker 2: I don't know, why don't you be a green Bay guy? Maybe that's demanse, Maybe that's the way to get the perma.
Speaker 3: Is that my claim?
Speaker 2: They invite he's a Packer fan. What if you big Packer fan instead of the Ravens.
Speaker 3: It was Chief's raven Green Bay?
Speaker 2: You were never really a cheapskuy All right, let's get to the next one.
Speaker 3: A Chiefs guy, rip my heart out? All right?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: The baker, the bakery, the ba the baker.
Speaker 4: May magic may have rent out, but you think he's proved he so do you think he's proved.
Speaker 3: That he's a franchise quarterback.
Speaker 4: There's a mutual interest in bringing back, Yeah, franchise adjacent quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's interest in him coming back.
Speaker 4: The team might want him back, but they're probably gonna be other teams that want him. So do you think Bakers should go to the Steelers, the Falcons or the Vikings? Why are the why are's Tampa not on there?
Speaker 2: They're saying if you were to leave, They're saying, if you were to leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess the question.
Speaker 2: Listen. The Falcons are an interesting one because Belichick reportedly liked him out of the draft, So that would be an intriguing one if Belichick goes to Atlanta because they have those weapons. The Vikings obviously have justin Jefferson and our best positioned h but I think he's going to be back in Tampa, all right.
Speaker 4: Last one, Demonse, all right, so we got a video of you showing Dexter or I guess, explaining to Dexter that the kicker and the Bills game could miss the kick, and we're going to show those the show the viewers.
Speaker 5: Last week you were in, I told you.
Speaker 2: That's what every all right, Demanse, you you said you cringed and me saying every phase matters, but it obviously does. All right, So go go ahead and ask the question.
Speaker 4: When watching an NFL game Nick with Nick is Oh wait, when watching an Nick, I laugh? Am I learning? Or am I leaving. This is totally subjective. Uh, it's when it's Chiefs. When it's any other NFL game, it's it's it's a it's.
Speaker 3: A learning experience. I feel like I.
Speaker 4: Get a lot of little little knowledge and little tips thrown at me. But when when it's when it's the Chiefs, I don't know, you get a little but.
Speaker 3: It's not you never look like really irritated with me. It's like super irritable though, So it's it's a little bit of a hostile fun to be around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to be around during Chiefs games. I'm self aware of.
Speaker 4: I'm also aware of it.
Speaker 3: We go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your mom would say I was a jerk all of last week. Forget the game. Yeah, the moment that it was clear was going to be Chiefs Bills and I knew what was at stake for everyone involved. Even though I was incredibly confident the Chiefs were going to win, I was irritable all week. I feel so differently this week. But when it's not, I'm glad you said what you said. When it's not a Chiefs game, I feel like I am one of the most educational people in the world. To watch a football game with as far as like things that happened, why it's happening.
Speaker 3: Right, what you would do? What they need to do with the clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I loved. I loved telling people about how to run the manage the clock. All right, this is a great show. It went super long. I gotta go, I gotta go. Yell at Colin Coward about his terrible bills picks and now he's saying the Ravens are gonna blow out the Chiefs. See you guys on first things first at three o'clock. What's right? Hey, it's Nick right. Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favor. Click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demonsey's got a financial bonus writing on a number of YouTube subscribers, so help him out. And also click the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell. And your audio listeners, people that have commutes, drives, whatever it is, subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. All that. Check it out. Appreciate show.