Speaker 1: You're listening to Fox Sports Radio Bronto. Mendoza had his primetime debut his second preseason game. He went eight for fifteen eighty six yards and ugly, ugly, ugly, pick six and attacking one half of work against the Houston Texans. So we'll call it mixed reviews for the number one draft pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know people are people in Las Vegas really excited Kelvin because I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm rob G. That's his team.
Speaker 3: I know Tom Brady, that was the guy they chose and whatnot.
Speaker 2: And I get it.
Speaker 3: He won a national championship. He played great right last year with Indiana. Huh, But I'm not convinced that he's going to be that guy and people talk about all the time.
Speaker 2: Just because you're the first overall pick.
Speaker 3: We've seen plenty of guys wash out and not make it and be a bust. I was always skeptical of the NFL with the idea of the Raiders and Mendoza not having any national games, Like, like, Kelvin, to me, that's just.
Speaker 2: Since win, you don't want to see number one overall. That's a good point.
Speaker 3: I'm serious that people are like, oh well, they don't think he's gonna start, and he so they're not putting any games on and they could flex in. I'm sorry, the idea that he's the first overall pick and they're not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't even know. Are they gonna start them or are they gonna make them sit? And wait?
Speaker 3: I mean, rob G, you're the Raiders. Got what what are they saying? Because it sounds like it's mixed.
Speaker 2: On a big seat. He's gonna have a big seat.
Speaker 1: They're making it seem like there's a competition. But you know, Kirk Cousins didn't even dress yesterday, so that kind of tells you all you need to know.
Speaker 4: You know, I call him Kirk, your cousin, not mine. He is definitely gonna be starting number one. It just when you look at this this Raiders team, I mean, rob G, you know that's your squad. They're so young, rob there's one thing to just be bad, and we know in the NFL sometimes bad isn't horrible, right, Sometimes it's just a few plays didn't go your way, and now you're seven and ten or you're you know, you're eight and something or six and eleven, When he really weren't that bad, and the next year you turn around, at least you're you're a better squad. Then there's sometimes you were just future and you got a lot to figure out. And the Raiders are closer to the ladder. I mean they have a lot to figure out. They're very young. They're trying to get some nice pieces. You know, they're hoping the gent works out at the running back. They still got bauered. They got some pieces offense. They hope that Mendoza eventually will get there.
Speaker 2: But rob this.
Speaker 4: Team, they ain't there yet. Tom Brady ain't walking through that door as the quarterback. Now he might walk through as a minority owner. But he's got a lot of work to do. And and if you were able to watch some of the plays, he made some nice drows, which is why obviously that's why he's the number one pick. He looked comfortable at some times, got the ball out, got the offense moving, and that bad that throw across the middle of the interception was terrible. And you're gonna learn that number one thing you hear all the time. The speed is much faster in the pros. That little crossbody across the middle of the field pass you normally can do in college, you ain't doing that in the pros. And so he's gonna learn that for sure. But I definitely expect a slow roll. If you're Raiders and you say and you woy believe this is your guy, then there's no rush.
Speaker 2: You're hoping to have him for a greater.
Speaker 4: Decade, decade and a half, and so they're not going to run a little different.
Speaker 2: I'm in a different school. If you can play and make an impact, you should play. The only way you really.
Speaker 3: Learn to play in the National Football League is going out there all the people, the great players. No one's putting them on a leash. No one's telling them we're going to pump the brakes on you. You just go out there and you learn. Peyton Manning was one of a bad Indianapolis team. He threw a million interceptions, right, Peyton Manning wasn't Peyton Manning year one. Go back and look, he almost threw thirty interceptions he did his rookie year. So you can't explain or tell me that the best way.
Speaker 2: Is to sit.
Speaker 3: Now, we got the Aaron Rodgers example, but there's a reason Aaron Rodgers sat. You had a future Hall of Famer there still able to play. That's the only reason Aaron Rodgers didn't play, not that he couldn't play. Everybody said in practice, this guy's got it, but he had to sit up three years behind Brett Fahr, a Hall of famer. Kirk Cousins is no Hall of Famer. Kirk Cousins was lousy in Atlanta. Kirk Cousins gets you nothing. Kirk Cousins gives you wasted snaps. It's wasted snaps.
Speaker 2: I would rather.
Speaker 3: I would rather this kid play, take his lumps, and if they're bad, get another top pick.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be in the middle of the pack.
Speaker 3: Because I have a middling end of his career quarterback who's just going to keep us afloat and win enough game so that we don't get the number one pick or top pick.
Speaker 2: Again, that's what I'm saying. I want all of nothing. Well, we know that's you, Rob, We know that you want all or nothing.
Speaker 4: We know, But again, I think the bigger indictment it really is the whole roster. Like I think again, I think if they were a solid and again they just were not as bad as a record showed that, I think they'd roll them out there. But I think the issue is they're so young. They're the colts team though, I'm just asking you. I mean, I'm not gonna I can give you examples. I know, did he have Marshall fought back?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 2: Did Peyton right off the back gear?
Speaker 4: I mean he had some pieces out there where you can say, all right, we got something rolling. No, they were bad, but I no, no doubt. But also too, Mendoza ain't Peyton. Let's be clear, like he can end up having a fine career overall, yeh pick and that happens. That War was the first overall pick. He ain't gonna be Payton either. I mean, you know when you know that somebody Peyton was different. Peyton was generational from the day he stepped into Tennessee. We knew from the jump this is what he was. Interceptions I'm talking about in college. We know what Peyton was gonna be from high school to college to when he got.
Speaker 2: To the pro. I'm saying I didn't know his first year.
Speaker 4: Mendoes, sure, right, he had a rough first year. Mendoza is slow rolling into this thing. Robbie came out the blue. You never even heard of him. You heard of the Mendoza line, not Fernando Mendoza, and then all of a sudden he comes in and has an incredible h what was that his twelfth.
Speaker 2: Year in college? Rus Let's let's let's take advantage of it.
Speaker 3: The players in the NFL are around the same age of the players in Indiana last year.
Speaker 2: Hey, you ain't lying.
Speaker 4: And with all this going back and forth, guys getting contract and can go back. I don't know how old like you're gonna have twenty eight year olds rookies.
Speaker 2: And he played with twenty eight year olds that Indiana.
Speaker 3: Whatever it was, the average age was like twenty five in college.
Speaker 2: He put a little extra sauce on it. But it was old. It was old. But that'st rob g. It was like twenty five. It was like.
Speaker 4: Twenty five thirty one pick one. But you don't get my point. I do, no, no, no, I do.
Speaker 2: I just think.
Speaker 4: But again, just to me, I think they're gonna say, Kirk Cousins, you take those lumps. If there are lumps to be had that you're talking about, you go out there, you set the tone, You show this young guy something. We can get these younger players on this roster, get them developed, slowly he's gonna I think he's gonna start probably halfway through the season, maybe a little early, maybe week six seven is but I think they just want to get to get him more acclimated.
Speaker 3: Make you know some of those how does he get more acclimated? Not playing seriously like.
Speaker 2: I because if you get smoked.
Speaker 4: There's a dude named David Carr, not even Derek Carr, who still has PTSD from getting smoked out there. Cam Ward is noay near as bad as he looked last year, but he was getting smoked. Sometimes when you know your team is horrific, rob and then sometimes your team is we're better than we look. And if it's horrific, I think they don't.
Speaker 3: Want Tom out terrific this year and next year he still shouldn't play, right how long you're gonna wait?
Speaker 4: Well now but six?
Speaker 3: But week six gonna be good? Is that like to explain how they got.
Speaker 2: The guys will have guys will have played.
Speaker 4: You would have been able to find out who's who if you need to switch if this started to.
Speaker 3: Say, you find out they're no good, they're still on good, so you delay his start.
Speaker 2: They may be starting his quarterback.
Speaker 4: People have historically not started off the bat rob We have so many we have examples of both.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 4: We got guys who got thrown in the fire. We got guys who have have had to wait a year or two like that. Especially historically, it was war common for you to come in and wait, not come in and try to be a savior of a horrific team. So, I mean, it's not gonna be crazy if they make them wait a year. That's not gonna be like all of a sudden, some some we've never seen this before.
Speaker 3: This just sounds to me like there their convincement those is gonna be a bust. I'm gonna be on the record, That's where I'm at that he's gonna be a bust ultimately. And they don't have the confidence that this guy who took Indiana to a national championship and played some of the best college football quarterback and that we had seen right and and did the unthinkable should be that guy. It's almost like people were telling Joe Burrow, don't go to Cincinnati, what a bad franchise, you have no shot to win. They were trying to tell him he should pull an Eli Manning and his camp should should say not to I'm not going there. Don't draft me. I'm not going to Cincinnati. They had lost their last seven playoff games coming into the time that Joe Burrow showed up in Cincinnati. And guess what, he gets hurt his first year, right, because they're not that good.
Speaker 2: They don't protect him.
Speaker 3: He gets hurt, comes back his second year, and takes that franchise to the super Bowl. I'm sorry, that's what I want from my quarterback. Uh, why can't that?
Speaker 4: You just said he went out there and got hurt because they were terrible.
Speaker 2: You're telling me.
Speaker 4: You're telling me hurt because they're terrible. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You could get hurt at any time in football. I'm just you can't, baby p. I'm sorry. There's no perfect scenario to break a quarterback in and make him feel comfortable.
Speaker 2: Put the guy out there and let him play. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Listen, you know I had a sixteen team, you know, the Detroit I saw a guy coming there and and and you know, play through it wanted to be there and and and showed us, Okay, you know this guy's got some talent.
Speaker 2: He might be he might be good for us.
Speaker 4: So I've been there when they threw him in the fire, and and then you know, ultimately he improved, got to the postseason a couple of times. He left some on the table every now and again. But so I've seen it all both ways. I just I don't know for whatever reasons they believe, that's why they went and got this veteran Kirk Cousins to to be there for him, and so he didn't get his legs snapped out there. That's what Kirk. You get, You get snapped up and beat up. Not Mendoza. We got some hope. But we're the youngest. Heck, I think they got like, uh, they're the youngest roster in NFL.
Speaker 6: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: This is Rob Parker and I'm here with an important public service announcement. Whatever you do, do not listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco show. Fox Sports Radio asked me to do a promo, but I'm here to do a no mo, as in, don't listen to this show.
Speaker 6: No Mo.
Speaker 3: The host of two fools from Philly who have the dumbest takes ever in all of sports talk. And you know, if I'm saying that, they must really be bad. I have no idea why Fox Sports Radio picked this up, but I know where to put it down in the trash can. So please don't listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco show.
Speaker 2: No way, no how it looks like it.
Speaker 4: Maybe Deshaun Watson starting for the Browns. Where you're at rob when it comes to the quarterback or lack the up situation with the Browns.
Speaker 3: I think Shadoor has missed the golden opportunity. The Browns didn't have a quarterback really to Sean Watson despite his contract, I understand, like I hear the excuse of people saying, well, well, they can't cut him because it would be a massive cap hit. Okay, we got that. But if I have to pay the contract anyway, right, he could be the backup quarterback and sit there where I don't damage the salary cap. I mean, you know the cap hit, right, I gotta pay him anyway if my best chance to win, And I'm Todd Monkin and I'm trying to be a head coach in the NFL, and my best opportunity to win is by playing Shador Sandals, who's making way less money.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna play Shador Sanders.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make any sense to start to Sean Watson.
Speaker 2: Just because of the salary.
Speaker 3: I have to pay it regardless, So I could pay it. Play Shador Sanders because he's the best quarterback and win some games and maybe solidify another year as a head coach in the NFL, or get another contract.
Speaker 2: If I'm Todd Monkin, I can't. I don't believe it. To me.
Speaker 3: Shador Sanders hasn't done enough last year or this year for anybody to buy into him. There's no bonus playing Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 2: He has.
Speaker 3: He's been bad since he came from Houston right he was injured. Every strike is against Sean Watson. Every plus is for Schador Sanders and Todd Monkin and the brown still don't want to make him the starting quarterback. What does that tell you? It tells you he hasn't done enough to convince people in that organization that he's a starting quarterback in the NFL. Because the Browns are about as low as you get. Yeah, I mean you get Does that make sense to listen, I said it. You and I have talked about it. I understand it. But you could still place Shador if you think he's better. And I think I pay money anyway. I think Shador will play. I think we did a similar Listen, there's a reason why.
Speaker 2: I start him?
Speaker 4: No, why not start I don't. I'll tell you why. When you're a new coach, you got a guy who's been in it. This will be year two for Shador and obviously if he let's assume let's say he was a starter, this will be his first, you know, year as a full time starter if that was the case. But it's not right now. And I think when you're looking at Deshaun Watson, it's a safer picking that. Okay, Well, he's a veteran. He knows he didn't play, he got hurt last year, right, But he's been in the league now for DAK in a decade, So I'm saying, Okay, he's a veteran. He he you know, he knows the ins and out better to be a pro than than Shador does. And I think the money does I think you're understating or under selling the money a little bit more than I would.
Speaker 2: I think that matters.
Speaker 4: Because yes, I have to pay him, because I'm saying, if I have to pay him, then I might.
Speaker 2: As well get something out of him. No, no, it's not nice.
Speaker 3: He can't help you win, but especially that makes you have a new coach whose career is.
Speaker 2: On the line. Do you do you?
Speaker 4: But this is where Chardeur I agree that he hasn't made a massive separation between the two. I'm completely in agreement with that. It's not as if chadors come out and you know, look like uh uh prime Patrick Mahomes or something where you're like, clearly, that's our guy. I think if he's been playing coach, and all the reports of coming out of training camp was that Shadur was playing better, he had better hired a completion percentage, he hadn't thrown an interception at all during training camp. So the that's a slight gap in the game, right, slightly and better played during training camp for Shador. But I mentioned this the other day to you, it's gonna be have to be a larger separation gap in my opinion because if that if not, well, I'm gonna roll with the guy who's a veteran, and we owe the money anyway, give him a look, just give them one more chance. That's what I think they would do. You do, Calvin, I am in favor of starting to George. If he goes out there and flames out, at least I can say, man, look we gave you last year. It was a difficult situation. We're starting three four different quarterbacks. Last year it was a mess. I'll give you that. I will concede that we saw some things we didn't like this. We're gonna work on that. You had a couple of throws as well. Let's give you a chance this year, new coast. Let's start this thing. He's got a new system. Let's roll it. That's all I would prefer to do, because for me, Rob, I know what I have with with Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 2: See here, here's where.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna push back, and I don't I don't buy your argument at all. If I'm Todd Monkin, all right, like the NFL stands for not for long, Okay, so you're gonna put it in. Somebody will say, what what kind of coature you put in? A broken down Deshaun Watson, who hasn't played well since he stepped into Cleveland. You have this everybody's ran and raving about Shador Sanders and he's got the eight factor and he's selling the most jerseys in the NFL, and everybody's all excited in the fan base wants them. And you don't play him, okay, And but you play the guy who you have to pay regardless whether he plays or not. The idea of getting something out of him doesn't make any sense to me if you believe you have a guy in Shador Sanders who can be a quarterback, who can be.
Speaker 2: The same thing. I bring up the same argument all the time.
Speaker 3: And Pete Carroll in Seattle where they have Matt Flynn in place, they went and they got him from Green Bay. Oh my god, yes, we finally got a quarterback. And this Russell Wilson, who I believe Rob g correct me was a fourth round pick, right third or fourth?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Third, okay, third round pick. When Russell Wilson shows up and they immediately go, oh no, our quarterback is right.
Speaker 2: This is this guy right here. It's this guy. And that started the turnaround.
Speaker 3: And my point is, if Shador has anything, anything that you can build on, and you're Todd Monkin.
Speaker 2: Okay, you noticed, Kevin. I'll give you one other example.
Speaker 3: Like a TV being in the TV business, the coach or the news director isn't going to mess around with Rob Parker because I've already been there.
Speaker 2: You know what you get from him.
Speaker 3: Kelvin Washington is the new hotshot reporter that I brought in when I.
Speaker 2: Took over the news division.
Speaker 3: If we get better numbers, I'm gonna get credit for Kelvin because I put him in place. If I go back to DeShawn watching, I don't get anything for that. If I can identify Shador Saying as the next quarterback of the Browns, I'm gonna cement myself there in the organization because I made the gutsy move. I didn't play the quarterback who had the bigger contract. I played the quarterback with the best talent. And that's what I'm trying to that is that he doesn't have the talent. That's why they're not picking him.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm listen.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna sit up there and act like he's coming in there looking like you know, peaking when Cam Newton was, you know, just the physical specimen coming in and.
Speaker 2: I, oh, shoot, look at this guy.
Speaker 3: Even when we see Cam Newton at the super Bowl, he's a special.
Speaker 4: You can't be walking around here six six chisel up still looking all handsome and tall and no, no, no, he's got to relax. But here's where I'll counter your point, Rob when you say they're not for long.
Speaker 2: So let me start the guy.
Speaker 4: I think the safety valve is Schauduur in this case, and that you roll out to Seawan. And if he looks like DeShawn meaning man, you know, not horror, but this e you can and then you can say hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, wait, wait, wait, wait wait, I can go to Shador where there's optimism, still a little bit, there's some hope, there's some maybe in this there's some ooh, we'll have to wait and see. Maybe he gets better, maybe he's improved. So if you're saying, as a coach, I'm looking at the opposite. If I start with your door and he comes out bad and it's like, well we gotta go to DeShawn, then it's a rap. Not that you're gonna get fired, but meaning the optimism and hope is gone. If I had to go to.
Speaker 3: The Sean coach, and you go with your door and they start playing better because he plays he had some quarterback savvy and and make some throws and you win games.
Speaker 4: It's exact cause I get to go, all right, Deshaun is looking at you know's and but whoo, I got to wait. If a fan, you're gonna wait till we can put your door. Let's see, he's gonna get better. He's gonna improve. He's got another year under his belt, a new system, and I can prolong that hope and finally get him out there. If I'm a coach and say, now here is my game plan was to let him get better, to let him grow, and now he's gonna roll out to me, that's the opposite. I'm rolling that out off the bet because again I'm with you, I do agree. I don't think she Doer's coming out like Gangbuster, where it's obvious that he has to be the starter. I think from just some only based off reports we ain in Cleveland, is that he's not.
Speaker 2: Playing better make any sense.
Speaker 3: It tells you every opportunity should be for the young guy with the upside. To Shaun Watson is not the young guy with the upside and the idea that he's that they still would rather go over him tells you that your door doesn't have it. I've been covering the NFL since nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 4: If I'm saying the bias is the damn Marino that I'm completely an agree. But I got to roll somebody out there for seventeen weeks and have some optimism and get my even my own players, let alone the crowd the fans. I gotta give my players something to believe it, and I think she Doer can offer that more than de Shaun.
Speaker 3: Don't listening to Fox Sports Robert Smith, former NFL off for running back Fox Sports football analysts.
Speaker 2: You can follow him Robert twenty six Smith. What's up, man? How are you?
Speaker 5: Oh Man, I'm good. I'm here, Rob. I watched you on this rant yesterday. Man, it was so funny about the one about the one about Shad And you know it's funny because I was up in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago and I was at practice, and you know, I saw some really good throws from him, you know, maybe some of the best throws that I had seen from him. And look, I jump online. I'm like, hey, no, it's a small sample size, blah blah blah. But these are two really good throws. But I think the points that the points that you were making though, are so true, Like people just don't understand, like the coach making a damn decision to please the fans, like they're worried about their job. Right was too, and all these people in some of these talking hits, like I'm surprised quite Franklyn, I'll just say it, like even a guy like Lewis Riddick, like I was surprised to hear him come out and say this stuff because he, more than anybody else, knows what it's like inside of you know, the offices, right the front office. Everybody's trying to keep their damn job. And if they think a guy's going to give them a chance to win, you better believe they're gonna be on the field.
Speaker 2: Robert, thank you.
Speaker 3: And I keep telling people, you stop with the conspiracies. Oh they don't want him to this, and they're trying to keep them in it. I'm like, if a guy can play, they're going to put them out there? Are you kidding? And you know this, you played in the National Football League. All the players on the field know who deserves to play or not, Robert, don't they They know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, Robert, the guys definitely know. And but what you said was so true, Like you can't take and I wasn't trying to do it, but you can't take a couple of clips on Twitter and say, well, this guy definitely deserves a job. The guys that are doing the evaluation, they're with them every day, like you said, the guys in the locker room, they know we should play.
Speaker 2: Who will to play? To you there, Robert, I mean, who's would you start?
Speaker 4: I don't think they have the most amazing back situation ei of the way, but who would you start? I'm going to do her because I want to see if there's any any upside at all before I go back to what I know.
Speaker 2: Watson, that's me. Where are you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well they're going to start him this weekend, I know, but at the beginning of the season, I just I can't answer that yet. Like Dashawn looked really he looked really stiff. And I look, he hasn't played since twenty four right, like, and I just I think he was it looked like he was just even little throws in that game. Last week. You know, I saw some clips again from practice yesterday that looked much better from both of them, right, and really good downfield, tight window throws. But I can't say automatically that I would go with Shadur because ultimately it is about winning games, and I know that you want to see what you have for the future. But if you don't think that guy is really capable of winning you games, don't I don't think. I don't think you do it.
Speaker 3: Automatically, no doubt, Robert Smith is I guess here own a Dan Patrick Sheldy, a couple filling in.
Speaker 2: For Dan and the Dan Nets. Let's get to the NIL and the college sports where we are because I don't.
Speaker 3: Believe that, Rob. I want to hear from you and h seven forty million dollars rosters right, six million higher than the first NFL salary cap in nineteen ninety four. And Robert, it's not amateur college sports anymore. It's professional sports, isn't it.
Speaker 5: But it's professional sports without rules, that's the crazy part, right, And the rules just get reinvented. It seems like every other week right now, Soresby, I know it's a different situation because you know, the gambling was involved. But you know, you get a judge in Lubbock, you know, getting some you know, temporary restraining order or you know, injunction, whatever the case may be, just changing things like crazy. And then you get the ruling in Colorado over five years. And then you get the ruling which is really surprising out of Louisiana. And now this only applies, I guess to these twelve or sixteen players. I can't remember which, if it's twelve or sixteen, right, but these guys, some of these guys are in camp and you're saying that they're eligible to go back and play. Now, this is one of those cases like to me, everybody hates the NC double A and they always want to target the NC double A. But this is really interesting.
Speaker 2: Rob.
Speaker 5: Like when I was when I was back when when I was at ESPN and I was interviewing and you know, I was, I was up up up at Michigan with rich Rod and he pulls out like an NC double A book and he's like, you know what, I gotta be honest. He's like, we're the reason this thing is that thick, right, Like he's looking at the rule book like the reason is because coaches want to cheat, the everybody wants to blame the NC double A. Nobody ever wanted to blame the coaches and the presidents from you know, violating the rules and coming up with a bunch of complicated rules that the NC double A had to try to force. Now we have a bunch, We just have a wild west man. We get a bunch of rulings and nobody knows what's next, and it's just okay, well, you know, I guess we're just gonna have to find a way to spend more money. It's just it's crazy, man. I don't know where this thing ends. They have to get some sort of system that holds everybody accountable.
Speaker 4: Well, I got to ask you something else about this, but quickly you did bring up you brought up Michigan in it, and it took everything I had to be nice to you, Robert, because when I was a kid, you know, I'm born and raised ann Arbor and used to torture us when you we run out Ohio State.
Speaker 2: And I don't appreciate I was.
Speaker 5: One and I was oh one and one against michiganant towards anybody in Maze and blue eyes.
Speaker 2: Did you listen, I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 4: Okay, when I got to go against you and see you run it out there, dang it, I still got memories of that.
Speaker 2: I want to go here with you. We just talked about this.
Speaker 4: The idea that you look, you meant played at Ohio State, then you become a pro what about these pro sign of contracts and then say never mind, let me go back to college. Now, what do you make of this where they're allowing this new Uh? This the judge that allowed this for these guys that go back.
Speaker 2: What do you make of that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: That was that was the rule that I was, you know, referring to the ruling I was referring to in Louisiana. That's the one right right, you got you got, you got some of these guys in camp. Uh you know that, the even guys that are making plays, you know, like the what's the team private? Is the one down with the bucks? He need a couple of sex in the game.
Speaker 4: Now he's gonna let me go quarterback some college quarterbacks and yeah, not only be eligible to come back, but to be you know, in the damn portal.
Speaker 5: But here's the thing. Seasons a week and a half away, right like you? And look, I know you can play with the numbers a little bit. You still have one hundred and five man roster rules, so you can cut some you know, walk ons or you know, some lower level guys, but do you have the money to sign them, and you know, do you want to mess with locker room chemistry? There are a lot of issues there, but you know, it depends on which program you are, right, Like, if you're a program, you know, it's funny the unnamed sources inside of the Big twelve I heard this, like, damn right, we need a couple more players, Like, let's just open it wide. Let's make it wide open because they want to add some people. But they got to have these rules. They can't have guys signing contracts because I guess that rule still exists.
Speaker 3: Right, Like Robert, I'll say this though, here's why I don't have an issue with it. They're making money in college. It's not amateur anymore. So they're making millions of dollars in college. And you know this, if you're not on an NFL roster player, you know, to start the season, you haven't made it to the NFL.
Speaker 2: You're not an NFL player.
Speaker 3: You're if you could even look at the headline on the story and it said NFL training camp x NFL training camp players, because you're not an NFL.
Speaker 2: Player until you make the league. They start with the NFL, but it's not the NF. You're not make the team. You're not you're not an NFL. A lot of guys have a couple of coffee in the three role.
Speaker 5: You take the chance, you take the chance you leave the school, you make the school make all kinds of decisions about, well, we need to sign this guy because this guy is going to the pros. Now you're like, oh, well I didn't make it, so I want to go back too, bad boy, Robert, that's a chance if you're leaving early. Especially, Look, if you get your four or five, you get your five years or four years of eligibility in your five years, you had your chance. Like, how long are those guys supposed to be able to go back?
Speaker 2: Wait a minute.
Speaker 3: We just saw Indiana win a national championship with the average age of twenty five or six, twenty four, I'm.
Speaker 2: In to college. There were twenty eight year olds out there.
Speaker 3: Robert and everybody celebrated Indiana like this was the old days?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? Twenty eight?
Speaker 5: That was? That was first of all. I mean, let's talk about that Indiana winning a national championship in football. It's crazy, right, that's insanity right there. But it wasn't with a bunch of ineligible players that had turned pro and then come back. That's to me, that's it. That's it. That's got to be clearly defined and that's a no for me. Once it got pro, that's it, man, Because you know, you got all these high school kids coming up. Where are they? Where are they supposed to go? Are they supposed to be competing against twenty eight year old guys who washed out in the league?
Speaker 2: Right? You guys? Are the players going back to college?
Speaker 4: Robert Rob Parker the owner, than the teacher, the professors.
Speaker 3: But but, but, but this is the problem. The the NCAA didn't want them to have a union, to unionize because you were talking about with no rules.
Speaker 2: Robert had the.
Speaker 3: NCAA put in a in place or or took over the idea of playing play or some go of money. They didn't want to do it, so they made it a wow wow West. There's no collective bargaining. So there are no rules, and that's why we have the mess that we have. Would you agree with that that you need a collective boggaining agreement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's no question you need a collective barry agreeing. But here's the thing that I go back to this argument about the NC DOUBLEA. Like people want to say they want to talk about the NC DOUBLEA, but they don't want to talk about their own schools and their own presidents and their own coaches. But make no mistake about it, the NC double A is trying to make rules at the behest from all those coaches and those presidents and those athletic directors. They're the ones that want those restrictions and they know they need those restrictions. Just to my point about rich Rodriguez saying, we're the reason that those rule books are so complicated. But you do need some sort of system in place. But now if they're employees, now it's work comp issue. Like there are so many issues that this brings about that people haven't even considered when they're actually employees of the university. But the good thing about that for the universities and for these coaches is you get some certainty because the contracts are two way, and the players can't just say well, I'm going to sign here this year and then go somewhere else next year. That's been the real disastrous. Not just nil, but it's a portal every year, and multiple portals.
Speaker 2: All right, real quick before, as Robert, real quick, we're up against it.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to ask you, since we had you the idea of fans voting in the Heisman Trophy for the award.
Speaker 2: Where are you in that? It's terrible and.
Speaker 5: Such a bad idea it's barely worth discussing. I mean, that's just an awful idea.
Speaker 3: And Robert, everything is for sale, everything is a gimmick.
Speaker 2: Is so bad, man, what they've done to college football.
Speaker 3: And as a guy who excelled was a great player in college football, you don't even recognize this game, do you.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it is so different, man. It's it's interesting you say that because when Ohio State won the national championship a couple of years ago. You know, my initial reaction was, you know, I'm always happy when Ohio State wins.
Speaker 2: Sure, but it just.
Speaker 5: It just felt different, man, It just it felt completely different. And like you know, some people will say, whatever aunch or you know, yeah, but like to me, like back back in my day, like we all made the choice. Man, we made the choice to go play at the same school, right, And it was just and it was just so different. And people joked about this stuff all the time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Once I got to the league, it was like, oh, man, we know you took a pay cut to come to come into the league. Like, hey, I'm going to tell you this, honestly, I know we don't have a lot of time. I got my first car five months before I got drafted. It broke three months before I got drafted. Nope, Joe eighty five Cutlass Sierra in nineteen ninety three, swear. And you know we used to get we used to collect the tickets because the tickets for the games, because they had free singles with cheese from Wendy's for free singles from Wendy's. So we would collect those tickets.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I love that part of the show.
Speaker 5: But I'm happy for the guys today. But it's it's unrecognized.
Speaker 4: You missed today. Man, you would have been in a g wagon. Robert, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: We got to go.
Speaker 3: But this is this is what you sounded like on radio today, here we go, No damn, you don't mind.
Speaker 4: I'll I'll just end with go bars there, all right, appreciate it, Thank you,