Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Thursday. Just got word that Bob Buker passed away at the age of ninety. We'll try to put something together for tomorrow. I don't know if we can do it in the final hour. Here bring back some of the moments. I stayed in touch with Yuke a lot. We started texting the last couple of years, and even in the off season. I would just send him a text saying I'm thinking of you. He always would have something funny to say. But the age of ninety and the number of people that he touched with his humor, going back to when he'd be on The Tonight Show and he would crack up Johnny Carson and he was just you ask him something and he had a great response. He was always fun. When we went out to Milwaukee when we did the Sausage Race, we got to spend some time with him, and he'll be greatly greatly missed just having that sense of humor. Still broadcasting games. He didn't do it on a nightly basis, but he said last text that I had, he said, let me know when you're swinging through Arizona. It'd be fun to get together again. So Bob Yuker passing away at the age of ninety. Yeah, Pulley.
Speaker 3: I always found it so almost underrated that he took a subpar baseball career. I think he played five or six years and wasn't that good when he played, and parlaid it into a monstrous media career, movies and everybody liked the guy. He was a household name. He's been a household name, I mean, one of the more popular liked people in sports and otherwise.
Speaker 2: I love that story though. When he was asked about catching a knuckleball, he said, it's not that difficult. You just wait till it stops rolling and then you pick it up. So and how do you catch a knuckleball? Oh, it's true easy, you just wait till it stops rolling. Because Yuke was a catcher and I did have this he Let me see, here's one of my last responses to him. Let me see if I've I've got that. He talked about his batting average. No, let me see. We'll get to ed Warder here in a moment ed thanks for being patient. Let's see, he says, thanks for checking in. Dan. Always good to hear from you. I hope your crew is doing well. I finally got to my batting average when he turned ninety and I said congrats, and he said two ten with runners in scoring position. We'll try to bring back you know, he was on our show a few times, so we'll try to bring back some of that humor. Uh, We'll have the backroom guys try to find that for tomorrow. I saw a tweet from ed Warder and of course always reading ed Werder's tweets, and had something to do with the Cowboys. Ed is a cowboy insider for w FAA TV in Dallas. Had to do with Dion, had to do with Jerry Jones, and maybe maybe this is actually in the on deck circling could happen and Edward are kind of enough to join us. So you pique my interest with this, So explain what your tweet was all about.
Speaker 4: That was my one and only interest in tweeting Dan, was to get your attention, thank you, and to have an opportunity to make a long awaited guest appearance on the show. If you want to play golf again, let me know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I've been I've been obviously following the Cowboys you know for a long time, but you know, certainly throughout this season and extending that coverage through the dismissal of Mike McCarthy, which I think surprised a lot.
Speaker 4: Of people, even those of us who cover the team on a regular basis. And you know, when you start to figuring a list of potential candidates to be the next head coach, only in Dallas do you have to make sure to include Dion Sanders and Jason Witten, former Cowboys tight end great who Jerry is enamored with, who has only coached at the high school level. Regarding Dion, obviously we know that he has not yet formally interviewed for the job. The Cowboys have extended invitations to Leslie Frazier and Robert Salah to be the first two to interview formerly for the job. But Dion told Adam Schefter the other day that Jerry Jones reached out to him and they discussed the job, and everything I continue to be told Dan is that Jerry is interested. It was described to me as he's enamored with the idea. Obviously, it's hard to imagine any coaching candidate who could create more interest someone that Jerry could more sell to the and base here, which needs to happen and make Jerry more money than Dion Sanders. I mean, he won a Super Bowl here as a player. So there are also people around Dion who tell me that he's being urged by his supporters in Colorado to take the job, and that they believe if Jerry ever does offer him the job, that he will take. That he has an extension to remain at Colorado on his desk that he hasn't even looked at as he considers these other possibilities. But you know, I mean, there are also people close to Dion who tell me they don't see it happening, but they've seen things happen with Jerry Jones that they didn't expect to happen before. And he did hire Barry Switzer, So you can't rule anything out. He's the most unpredictable owner in the NFL on any subject, especially this one.
Speaker 2: But do you think that Jerry Jones had somebody in mind when he was willing to let Mike McCarthy leave.
Speaker 4: I assume that Jerry's done this enough times. This is his eighth time that he knows before you let somebody who has some value. It has proven himself to the degree, you know, Mike McCarthy has as a head coach in this league with two different franchises that you're sure you're going to get somebody who you think is going to do a better job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I man for some reason. And I was talking to Tim Callishaw, of course he covers the Cowboys, and he said Dion was treating this as if he was offered the job.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 2: His response was, Hey, I'm honored or humboled or whatever, but I got work to do as if he was getting the job offer. And then I thought, well, maybe is Jerry doing Dion a favor by Hey, maybe we have some interest here and that helps him even more with that extension at Colorado. But you think this is real, This is something that could happen.
Speaker 4: I think it has merit, and I think when we're talking about Jerry and Dion, you always have to be wary of how this conversation could benefit each of them, and it certainly does. But I think there is a possibility of it happening. I mean, Dion apparently told Adam Schefter that he doesn't need to use the Cowboys's leverage to get what he wants at Colorado that he's him, and there's probably a lot of truth in that, given the effect he's had on that program and the attention he's brought to it and the money that's been dedicated to the program since then. But yeah, and I think a key figure if this were to go very far, would be Mike Zimmer. You know, Mike Zimmer was a defensive coordinator here this most recent season under Mike McCarthy, coached under five head coaches in Dallas, and he has not decided what he's going to do in terms of whether he wants to continue coaching or not. I think a lot of that is dependent upon what direction Jerry decides to go in hiring the next head coach. And he was certainly, almost certainly Dan be a part of it if Dion Sanders is the coach, because Mike is very close to Dion. He coached him when he was here. He was close so close to his program at Jackson State and then at Colorado that there were people speculating that Zimmer was going to be the defensive coordinator of Colorado. That never happened, but Zimmer made it clear during the season when we spoke to him that he does frequently still speak to Dion Sanders, so I'm sure he would be heavily involved in that. And it's interesting that he has made no mention or or offered no decision on his future.
Speaker 2: Okay, but we've talked about Jerry and he hires coaches that are submissive and malleable, and that's not Dion. So is Jerry finally maybe coming around to that I need to have somebody be a head coach, act like a head coach and not be looking over their shoulder constantly.
Speaker 4: Well, do you think that Jerry would think that there's not room for him to influence Dion Sanders, who's never coached at the NFL level, on how he views his best route to being successful. I think Jerry would see this as a very a very positive opportunity for him to influence the way Dion Sanders coaches Jerry's football team. Now was interesting that during the season, when Jerry was first asked about dionni you know, he praised him as one of his favorite players of all time, and you know his competitiveness that he brought to the team, but he also sort of dismissed his value as a head coach in the NFL, because he said, what Dion offers, now that's most attractive and most influences his success at CU at the college level is his ability to recruit, and that's not going to be a significant part of his success in the NFL should he opt to coach in the NFL.
Speaker 2: And that's true.
Speaker 4: I mean, you he could influence free agents, but the Cowboys have not been heavily involved in free agency in recent years, to their own detriment. Quite honestly. You know, they were the last team to sign a player four out of the last five years. So it was interesting to me that Jerry thought that was the most unique ability Dion possessed and that it would not be a significant factor in whether he succeeded at the NFL level.
Speaker 2: Did Mike McCarthy want out?
Speaker 4: That's not the sense I got. I mean, when the season ended, he was unequivocal and very public about the fact that his goal in the next few days was to remain in Dallas. He said he had made an investment in Dallas, the Cowboys had made an investment in him.
Speaker 7: I think his.
Speaker 4: Family wanted to be here. I sincerely think Mike McCarthy wanted and expected it to work out, and I don't know that we fully understand the real reasons.
Speaker 2: It did great to talk to you always, Ed, Thank you. Thanks. Ann ed Werder covers the Cowboys for w FAA in Dallas' longtime contributor to ESPN. So I guess it's real real ish, But that's I just you already have enough eyeballs on the Cowboys. So it's not like, hey, we got Dion now. You know, if the Jags hired him and then you'd say, man, you're gonna get some publicity here, you already got publicity. Colorado needs Dion. Dallas doesn't need Dion, you know, with the attention that he would bring. Man, do you imagine I can't imagine Dion going Man, I don't know anything about coaching. Let me listen to Jerry Jones about this. What does Jerry know about coaching in the NFL? Well, Jerry knows business. I'll give him that. He's a great businessman, and I think he loves that. You know, there's constant chatter about the Cowboy. But if they don't get Ben Johnson, like, who are they getting? Who wants that job? Who is equipped to take that job? Dion is equipped to take the job. From the standpoint of, Hey, I can go to the press conference. I can win a press conference. I can take Jerry. I know what to do with Jerry. It comes down to this for me, what are you going to do with Dak Prescott thirty two injury prone immobile and you owe him two hundred and thirty one million dollars. That's the big problem. A couple of phone calls in here. David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Dan, I heard you talking about the auger. I know that those are made for digging holes and stuff, So I thought maybe he could install yourself a new mailbox or something like that.
Speaker 7: That'd be fun.
Speaker 8: Second thing is if they hire Dion Sanders, I think in his contract Jerry jonesy to put yeah off. Looked sunshade up at AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 2: So thank you, all right, thank you, David. Well, Deane wear sunglasses so he won't be bothered by the glare Texas Stadium. Garrett in Wisconsin, Hi, Garrett, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: He had six? So I'm just calling and talking about Bob Buker, you know, legendary Brewers Radio announcer very sad about his passing at some One of my favorite moments U wasn't when the Brewers would you know, make it to the playoffs or whatever it was. It was when he was in the clubhouse getting beard poured on his head and doing the ripcord dance, celebrating with the team. Grew up listening to him with my dad in the summers, is on the radio, working outside, and those are some of my best memories of Bob Buker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're listening on the radio, I mean, that's when you really establish a relationship with a play by play person. That's when that person is your person. You know, TV, it's different radio. You know, you're listening there in the background. You know, growing up you'd listen listen on a transistor radio and that became your friend. That was your friend talking to just you. It felt like and there was you know, the great it felt like synergy between that play by play voice on the radio, especially with baseball because there's so many games and at night and you feel like he's talking to you. Norman, Florida High Norm what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Hey, Dan six two two fifteen. I met Bob A couple of times at spring training, so you probably heard these. I just wanted to honor him with a couple of quick quotes that I really like. He said, when I came up to bat with the bases loaded and two outs in the night, I looked and the other team's dugout and they were already in street clothes. And then he had one. In nineteen sixty two, I was named Minor League Player of the Year, and it was my second season in.
Speaker 11: The Biggs, and then I just got two more.
Speaker 10: He had to go when I when I looked at the third base coach, he always turned his back on me. And one of my favorite ones is his last one. He talked about I signed a very modest three thousand dollars bonus with the Braves in Milwaukee, and my old man didn't really have that money to put out.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Norm. Yeah, we'll try to put something together tomorrow. We don't have the time in the final hour to pay tribute, you know, a full tribute to the passing of Bob Yuker. By the way, Sunday Sunday playoffs continue the divisional round. It's Matthew Stafford and the Rams. They go to Philly take on the Eagles. The winner one step away from the Super Bowl. So the NFC Divisional Round matchup presented by into It TurboTax Sunday to Eastern on NBC and Peacock. We'll talk to Jerome Battis. We'll ask him that is Alma Mater playing in the National title game? I believe my sun is set to go to Notre Dame. And also we'll ask Bussy about his Pittsburgh Steelers. He'll join us coming up here in the on deck circle. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports. And pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 12: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show if you're just joining us. Mister Baseball, Bob Buker passed away at the age of ninety. We'll try to cobble together some of the interviews that we did with Bob over the years. We'll bring that to you on tomorrow's program. He's Jerome Bettis, the Hall of Fame running back won a Super Bowl and a former running back out of Notre Dame nineteen ninety three draft. I believe do you see your jersey behind me?
Speaker 7: I see it. I love it. I love That's all school right there.
Speaker 2: That's Rams Jerome Bettis.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Where do you want that back? Do you want that bet?
Speaker 13: No? Hey, I appreciate you displaying it proudly.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: How many jerseys do you have? Do you collect jerseys?
Speaker 7: I do have. I do have some. Yeah, I've got I've got a few.
Speaker 13: But but what I did was I collected them as I was playing from different players. You know, we would trade jerseys and stuff like that, so I didn't do much like buying jerseys or anything like that. It were all given to me at one time or another.
Speaker 2: All right, give me an idea of who you have what jerseys?
Speaker 13: I mean, my I guess my pride and enjoy would be, uh, Jim Brown. I mean I didn't play with him, but he you know, he signed it and everything for me. Marshall fall I'm trying to think Barry Sanders. It was a lot of running backs as I think about it, But the problem is I don't have them displayed. My wife didn't let me put any of my jerseys up in the house.
Speaker 7: So I so wait, wait you here.
Speaker 13: Here's what you got to understand. It's some battles that's not worth fighting.
Speaker 7: And you gotta know.
Speaker 13: I'm smart enough to know that was not a fight that I was willing to put out a lot of capital on.
Speaker 2: Okay, but do you have defensive players that you swamped jerseys with?
Speaker 13: No, I've got I swapped. I swapped with Lacker, his shoes, our shoes.
Speaker 7: Like in the last one of the last playoff games, we we traded shoes. So that was pretty unique. But it was one of those one time things. I didn't do that very often.
Speaker 2: All righty, let's start with your alma mater. What do you expect to happen on Monday night.
Speaker 13: I expect to be a very close game.
Speaker 7: I think a lot of people will think it's gonna be a blowout, is I don't. I don't see that being the case.
Speaker 13: I think when you look at the teams that Ohio State struggled with, the team that had a lot of physicality, and I think that's what Notre Dame brings to the table. Physicality at the point of attack. They're going to run the football, they're going to be physical on defense. Now, I will say we're at a bit of a disadvantage because you know, our best defensive lineman he's he got hurt, uh, you know, in the first playoff game, and.
Speaker 7: So we don't.
Speaker 13: We're not as strong as we were up front. Uh, that's a little bit of an issue. But you know we we we played them a couple of years ago and you know, back to back years or one off together, and they were competitive football games. Right. We lost there at the end of both games, and so it tells you that we can play with him. That's not the issue. The key is we can't give up big plays on defense, and we have to create some big plays on offense. I don't see us going eighty yards down the field every single drive, so we've got to open that offense up a little bit and throw it down the field and be successful.
Speaker 2: You're going to the game, yes, definitely.
Speaker 13: It's in Atlanta, and I live in Atlanta, so there's no way I would not be at that one.
Speaker 2: And is your son going to Notre Dame?
Speaker 7: My son is en road. Yes, so he's a mid year freshman.
Speaker 13: So we literally just dropped him off last weekend.
Speaker 7: Notre Dame. So we're real excited for him.
Speaker 2: Did you cry when you dropped him off?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 7: I didn't cry what I dropped him off?
Speaker 13: Fortunately for us, his big sister she goes to Notre Dame as well, so it gave us a sense of well, gave me a sense of comfort knowing that his big sister was there on campus. And my wife, on the other hand, she left a day or so after me, so there was some crying.
Speaker 7: I do understand in that department.
Speaker 2: He's Jerome Betti's Hall of Fame running back. The running back is back bus. What happened in the NFL.
Speaker 7: See, let me tell you what happened it running back never left.
Speaker 13: The problem was you couldn't find those franchise running backs. And let me tell you why. So in college they changed the game and the sense of they went to these four wide receivers and they went to this smaller bag so they can go laterally down You know, all the running in colleges lateral. It's nothing downhill. So they went to little bitty, small running back. The problem is the NFL doesn't want little bit smart running backs.
Speaker 7: They still want power football downhill.
Speaker 13: And at some point you couldn't find the running backs, right if they're not coming from five or six schools, you know, the Georgia's, Alabama's, the SEC schools, maybe Wisconsin or Notre Dame every now and then maybe at Ohio State or Michigan running back. But outside of that, you're not getting running backs from all over the country like you used to. And so as a result, the NFL had to go to say, you know what, we'll figure it out. We'll go with these guys who can We'll get four guys who can do what one guy could do. And that's what kind of happened that and you start having to pay your tight end and the second receiver, and that money has to come from somewhere.
Speaker 7: So they say, you know.
Speaker 13: What, since we can't find the franchise running back, let's pay these other guys and if we find one, great, If we don't, we.
Speaker 2: Don't Which running back is more prominent in his team's success, Derrick Henry or Saquon Barkley.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's a good question. That's a great question.
Speaker 13: I would have to say Saquon Barkley because we have seen what the Baltimore.
Speaker 7: Offense can do without Henry. It's not as.
Speaker 13: Explosive, but they are darn good without them, right so, and they've gotten to the same level of success. Now when you look at Philly, they're not as good as they've been in the past. If you take sa Kuon Barkley off of that football team, I don't know if they make the playoffs because they're just not clicking from a passing game perspective. And so with that being said, if you don't have Saquon Barkler there, they don't have.
Speaker 7: I don't think a chance.
Speaker 2: Is Derrick Henry a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 7: Not a question about it.
Speaker 13: He's what he's been able to do over the years that he's been been in the NFL.
Speaker 7: I believe he's Hall of Fame worthy.
Speaker 13: Uh So, I don't know what that looks like, but I do believe he has all of the characteristics if his if his career ended tomorrow, I think he definitely would be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with your Steelers?
Speaker 13: I think they haven't been able to offensively get it figured out. They need a second receiver, a big time receiver. They don't have one on the other side of George Pickens. They've got to figure.
Speaker 7: Out about George Pickens in terms of can he be the player that they need.
Speaker 13: Him to be right on the field, off the field, all those things, and so I think they have to sit down with him and and get get that figured out.
Speaker 7: I think also you got to figure out the quarterback position.
Speaker 13: I think Russell is a good quarterback for the time, but I think the problem is he's not a long term solution to the issue. They have got to figure out a long term solution at the quarterback position. And a lot of you hear a lot of talking heads speaking about the coach.
Speaker 7: And this and that. You in the NFL, we've seen this now.
Speaker 13: This record is not you know new If you do not have a quarterback in the NFL, you are not going to win in the playoffs. That is a That's what we know for sure. And right now the Stiller have gone through this window of time where they've been trying to figure out the quarterback situation and they have failed.
Speaker 7: They have not gotten it right. So I think that's what they got to figure out.
Speaker 13: I think if you put Russell in a position where he's got two really good receivers, a really good offensive line, a good running back, he can be successful. But to ask Russell Wilson to carry this football team on his back at the quarterback position, I think it's unfair to him at the stage in his career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but bussy, I got to put some of this on Mike Tomlin that, yeah, you get to the playoffs, he's helping try to get a quarterback. I don't think it like he's powerful in that organization. So Mike's involved in this. So if you're involved, like you can say, we got to get a quarterback, Well, I got to blame put some of the blame on Tomlin that you haven't found a quarterback.
Speaker 7: Well, here's what you have to do.
Speaker 13: If Tomlin was picking all the players, I would say, Okay, another piece of this puzzle is you have to commit resources, right and so that means you've got to give up a couple first round picks, right. Well, the Steelers, the draft is very instrumental in how they build their football team. So this is not a head coach decision in terms of what they will have to do in terms of draft capital to go up and get a quarter up. Now, maybe they haven't seen a quarterback that it's worth, you know, packaging and mortgaging the future on.
Speaker 7: And I get that that may be the.
Speaker 13: Case, but I believe because of I mean, their prisoner of coach Tomlin's success, because they don't have to lose the season, they're picking anywhere from eighteen to twenty five to twenty seven. You're not going to get a quarterback there, right, And so because in the last seventeen years or whatever it is, they have been there, that's where they're drafted. So they've got to make a fundamental decision on how.
Speaker 7: Do we get the quarterback in there?
Speaker 13: The one year when I was there that everything fell apart, and I think it was probably been only year that we were, you know, under five hundred with coach Kward it was six and ten. We got being that year, right, And so you don't get that's the situation. You're not able to get that quarterback. And so I think at the end of the day, there has to be some high level discussions on are we willing to commit multiple first round picks to go get the quarterback that we need. Now they're trying to get players that have gone from team to team, and for the most part, some of these guys, their careers are more behind them than ahead of them, right, and you're not going to solve the problem with that type of uh scenario. You can, you can get from year to year, but it's not sustainable at the quarterback position. And that's the difficult, difficult part of the scenario that the stealers are red.
Speaker 2: It's Ben Roethlisberger still the best quarterback in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 7: That's a good one. No, I definite don't believe so. I though he's he's still throwing it. He's still throwing it to his kids in the backyard.
Speaker 10: But I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know if we can put him out of a target and go for it.
Speaker 2: Uh, have fun on Monday night there and uh, good to good to catch up with you again. Bussy.
Speaker 7: Hey, thank you man.
Speaker 13: And you could have had any jersey you want it at that spot you put mine.
Speaker 7: I'm honored, thank you so much. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: The l A Ram Jerome Bettis, thank you, buddy, Take care all right. Hall of Famer. Yeah, nineteen ninety three draft pick out of Notre Dame. He wore number six. There with the fighting hours, Bussy would be featured now today, you know with these running backs. But he does bring up something interesting that college is five wide. Now it's these quarterbacks were completing sixty five seventy percent of their passes and you're not winning with just power football. Yeah.
Speaker 14: Morph When I was a kid, in my head, he was the trendsetter because he was like the big running back and you had guys like Natron Means and bam More's, you had the poor man's Jerome Betticies, So he was a trendset at least when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: Natron Means Yeah, Yeah, it felt like you had to have one of those guys, whether it's you know, a first and second down running back and then maybe you had somebody who came in and or you had two running backs in the backfield. Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 3: And it's weird because Jerome played a lot of fullback. He was the blocking back on some play. Then he'd switched to be the tailback because they had a lot of tailbacks at Notre Dame. Plus, wearing six made him look faster than he was with a sleeker number, and it made Bussy look faster.
Speaker 2: Let's see Jim in Michigan. Hi, Jim, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Thank you for taking my call?
Speaker 11: Six one two twenty six.
Speaker 6: Man, I just wanted to mention if anybody hasn't had the pleasure of watching you Kurt address the Cooper Sound crowd when he was brought in there. It is the funniest damp thing.
Speaker 7: I bet you.
Speaker 9: I've watched it half a dozen.
Speaker 6: Times and it's just it goes way beyond the Johnny Carson days.
Speaker 7: He was just just wonderful. It was a great presentation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he became famous for not being famous, and uh he was so uh self deprecating. I mean he kind of invented it. You know, when you're making fun of what you weren't. He would have loved to have the Mendoza line for his batting average. He would have been like, Ah, I'm killing it. I'm batt in two hundred here he was a one ninety guy. All Right, we'll take a break, last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow. Also the gambling podcast that'll be coming up. It'll be available at Danpatrick dot com this afternoon. Shayan Irving will give his thoughts on the uh I guess, the dismissal of Mike McCarthy, the parting of ways that'll be on the podcast coming up a little bit later on. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Last call for Phone Calls, What we learn, What's in store tomorrow, Dan and the Dan Nuts. Caleb Williams was on A'man Ross Saint Brown's podcast, and Uh, I'm on Ross Saint Brown asked Caleb Williams about what he wanted as the Bear's next head coach.
Speaker 15: Coach selfishly, I want an offensive minded guy so I can build with him and be with that coach for the next nineteen seventeen fifteen years, and so I can also learn.
Speaker 7: And grow and you know, things like that from.
Speaker 15: Him and what he's seen and what he you know, what he's gone through with you know, maybe other qbs.
Speaker 7: Or been around.
Speaker 2: Okay, Cat Williams should have said the following to i'mon Ross Saint Brown, what if I wanted to coach? I want your offensive coordinator. That's what I want to coach selfishly, and I'd like maybe a couple of offensive linemen. That's what I would like, all right. The last call for phone Calls, Bob in Montana. Hi Bob, welcome back.
Speaker 11: Oh hey DP, two quick things here. Your final caller on Monday said he was a semi finalist for Survivor, and actually back in two thousand and four, I was a semi finalist as well. That one of my buddies worked on the show for eight seasons. He's on that Christmas card that I sent you guys. So if that caller wants an edge, I'd be happy to relay my experiences in the interview process and then maybe that way at least somebody from Deep Nation will get on the show. And then second, my daughter and I actually go ice fishing quite a bit. Historically, you guys take off the final the week after the Super Bowl, So I was just gonna invite you out if you wanted to come out to Montana after that, I will take you out to Georgetown Lake, which is just right down the street from where you go on your big fly fishing trips in the summer with your brother.
Speaker 2: Well, I first have to conquer the state of Maine before I'm going to branch out conquer. Yeah, I have to conquer Maine and then maybe I'll start to look seek out other states to conquer.
Speaker 1: The challenges.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Scott in Scottsdale. Hi Scott and Scottsdale.
Speaker 16: Hey Dan, I'm a little out of my geographical element with respect to where Bob lives and where you are right now. But a couple of things about ice fishing. If you can make sure using your ardor that's at least four inches thick, you're in pretty good shape. You also want like a blue and clear ice. So what's usually an indication that's sticking up to skate across and worstate scenario is if you do find yourself in the water, if you have the picks and you can put them as horizontally apart from you as possible, we'll kicking your legs. You can usually float up enough where you can pull yourself up until the said ledge and you have a little capability.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Scott. Yes, I am checking with the locals. They tell me about what the ice needs to look like, and then you know and usually you know what. Here's my rule of thumb. If I see trucks that are parked on the lake, then I realize that it probably can hold me, me and my dog. So we're probably about two hundred and fifty pounds combined there, So I think we'll be we'll be okay if I and also I follow tracks. If I go on the ice and there's snow, I just follow where there's people tracks and uh and let's I'm walking and all of a sudden those tracks disappear. Yes, yes, would.
Speaker 17: You follow the big guy.
Speaker 3: Let's say a bunch of people are walking on the ice when you stand like ten feet behind the biggest guy, because if he's okay, you're okay.
Speaker 2: If it's like if a bear was chasing me and I was with Todd, I'd feel really good because I'll run faster. I'll run faster than Todd, guaranteed that's fair. And then the bear bear will be, you know, taking care of Todd, and I'll be running away, getting ready to grab my auger. Uh Andy in Rhode Island, High Andy, Hey.
Speaker 16: Good morning, Dan Dennis.
Speaker 13: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Marvin Pritzy?
Speaker 18: Then I actually have a personal question. I know you had to wait with you late with the ladies back in the day with that voice, But what did you figure out that you actually had.
Speaker 2: A radio voice?
Speaker 8: This silky dad, let me tell.
Speaker 18: You, when it comes to the speakers, it is killing it, and I'm surprised more ladies aren't calling.
Speaker 5: I.
Speaker 2: They're probably intimidated, though, I think I think that's probably the kindest thing that I could say about it. Andy, it's, uh, you can't buy this. You can't just lucky. You got to have this voice and you have to have this hair and uh, it's that's a combo platter. It's like having you know, power and speed. Yes, Todd, it's like those supermodels.
Speaker 19: They go in the trusts and say, no, I'm not dating anybody. No one's interested in me. I can't find anybody.
Speaker 2: No one approaches Well no, no, I was telling the truth. Nobody was interested in me.
Speaker 19: But it's the intimidation factor of the voice though. It is what he was getting at.
Speaker 2: That's why, Todd Todd, if I went, Hi, how are you? Hey, I just want to I just want to say lo yeah it myself. Thank you. Tom.
Speaker 19: I know I'm not the problem for I.
Speaker 2: Know guys would get excited when I would talk to them. That's a problem. Hey, could you get me a beer? Hey? I know that voice. Yeah, I'll bet you do. Yeah.
Speaker 17: See, I just had a conversation while waiting to pick up my son from soccer the other day another dad that I know very very well.
Speaker 2: Great guy.
Speaker 17: He's just like, hey, so how's Dan doing?
Speaker 2: Good? God?
Speaker 17: What a voice? What a voice?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's pretty good. You guys take it for granted. It's true. I mean, imagine if I had a high pitched voice and you had to listen to it every day for three hours. Instead, you get to listen to.
Speaker 19: This and he asks us great questions too.
Speaker 2: That yeah, oh he does, he does. Yeah. He doesn't look as good as he sounds though, that's part of that.
Speaker 17: It would be a lot different though, if you like you s as Jerome vettis, like, uh, you know, if.
Speaker 12: Ben Roethlisberger is still the best quarterback.
Speaker 17: In Pittsburgh, I would I don't listen. I've heard some shows like that. I'm aware of some shows, Like I was in Chicago, I covered that team.
Speaker 2: Oh go to d Wow hring back.
Speaker 17: A jam, Late Lake Jams.
Speaker 14: What that's the should have thrown them this day in sports history.
Speaker 2: Got to get it back together after that Dad.
Speaker 3: Nineteen sixty one, Mickey Mandl signed the highest one season contract in baseball history, seventy five thousand dollars in nineteen sixty one and uh oh, nineteen eighty eight, the Saint Louis Cardinals announced they're moving to Phoenix. Michael Jordan ninety three had sixty four points against your Orlando Magic.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Mark Sanchez our guest yesterday through three touchdown passes on this day, Jets upset. The Patriots went to the AFC title? Todd Wood? Did you learn today?
Speaker 19: Jerome Bettis isn't sure the Eagles even make the playoffs of Saquon wasn't in their backfield?
Speaker 2: Seaton, What did you learn today?
Speaker 17: Uh, Bussy's got another domer in the family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, son, going there, mar.
Speaker 19: Then the Patriots played a playoff game on a Saturday.
Speaker 2: Against the Texans.
Speaker 3: Paulie, would you learn Collinsworth pulled a hammy at the thirty eight yard mark?
Speaker 2: Todd Wood, I learn today we all learned.
Speaker 19: You got an augur to go ice fishing in Maine. But thankfully the wife said no to you getting a chainsaw.
Speaker 2: For right now.
Speaker 19: Okay, it's still up in the air.
Speaker 2: I think if she sees how I treat the auger, then she'll say, all right, you get a chainsaw. Look forward to talking to you tomorrow. Take care