Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Like fully in the middle of Dots, pick what we have to do?
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, alright, whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: I'm Leanna Holsten and I'm Sienna Jacole, and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films directed by women. Yes, this podcast is a safe space ship for people who don't know anything about movies.
Speaker 2: Today, we're watching the Marvels. We're a team. Oh no, no, no, no, We're not the Marvels. The Marvels. Warning there will be spoilers about this recent film, Superheroes film.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry, you know you told me to lips are so pursed. She's talking to me like she's a white neighbor from the fifties.
Speaker 2: Well, well the community. I haven't actually not even gonna spoil anything about it yet.
Speaker 1: Oh for the fact that I got to last night, I was kind of just like chilling out and then it was getting late and I was like, I wonder when I can go to bed, And then I went, I need.
Speaker 2: To watch the Marvels.
Speaker 1: Its sleep the closest I've ever come to fully, just forgetting to do that.
Speaker 3: That really would have cracked me up. That I would have understood as well. I would have forgiven it.
Speaker 2: We get here, I'm like, I didn't. I didn't do it. God, I forgot.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch the film. I didn't press play on the Marvels. Turn on the film.
Speaker 2: Do your predictions.
Speaker 3: Let's do Let's do our predictions yours first. A right, sounds good. I was gonna say my first, but that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No years is here, No, I'm in years. No, two years.
Speaker 2: This entire episode is just a fight.
Speaker 1: All right ready, Hi Leanna, this is Cia. I'm about to watch the Marvels. Yes, getting me to watch the Marvels. I think that it's going to be all the women from the marvel universe?
Speaker 2: Is that what it is? I let's find out everybody. I love you. Goodbye, Leanna Bye.
Speaker 3: I thought it was all good bye Leanna. Oh that was so the vibe of this weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm opening your prediction now.
Speaker 3: Oh, terrific, Sienna. Here's my prediction for the Marvels.
Speaker 1: Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch the Marvels. I predict slay Mamas. I saw this in theaters when it first came out, and I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Much exce oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's some insane musical number and then I think it's raining cats and I remember laughing so hard that I was scared I was never gonna stop laughing. So I, God, God, I hope that happens again.
Speaker 2: Let's you laughing at the cats?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't want to spoil my synopsis yet.
Speaker 3: Oh well, yes, before before your your synopsis of the marvel Siena.
Speaker 2: Hey girl, girl, Hey, you want to know something I do.
Speaker 1: I had a very very like I had a very toss Popcorn Universe aka AFI Universe weekend ooh so much so that I was like I should post about this, but I was like, it will take so long to explain.
Speaker 2: So here's what happened.
Speaker 1: My partner and I decided to do it. Like long ago, months ago, we were like, we want to go to Santa Barbara for a little trip sometime. It's one of those places that's near enough to LA that I wouldn't have gone yet for any reason, Like you have to make a a you'd have to have a reason to go.
Speaker 2: But here is.
Speaker 1: Lovely and it was so lovely. Have you been, I believe I have. The nature is so beautiful. But we decided to go. And when we were looking up airbnbs, Kelsey came across the place and he was like, I found this cheap guest house that looks like a hobbit hole.
Speaker 2: From from uh.
Speaker 1: You know what. I'm gonna send you a picture right now because I have one up here. I don't think I sent you one yet from Lord of the Rings. Even though we've never talked about the Lord of the Rings a a couple, I don't think he had I don't think he has any.
Speaker 3: What we just know you have never talked about the Lord of the Rings as a couple. Every couple has to have the Lord of the Rings conversation. It comes seconds after what are we and seconds after your dtr you l O t R. That was very funny.
Speaker 2: Come on, l O t R.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you. I can't believe that I've had the Lord of the Rings chat before asking someone out.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: This is clearly an experience that's for somebody who cares about this and I now have an understanding.
Speaker 2: But you know, I saw the movies.
Speaker 1: They were they were fun. I got a lot of things wrong. I thought it was all about the lord. Staying in this hobbit hole made me understand the whole world of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings on another level of just this is so cozy and magic cottage core. Yeah, and it was, so we stayed. I just sent you a picture of me in front of a hobbit hole, so I hope.
Speaker 3: You're so big.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you are so big.
Speaker 1: This is small, I am probably it goes to like below my shoulder, well below my shoulder.
Speaker 2: I'd say, so it goes under herround.
Speaker 3: So cute.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it was very cute. It was very ridiculous. And then in Santa Barbara we went to we stayed. We uh my brother and his fiance happened to be there at the same time because she's from there. So she showed us around her town a little bit, and she was like, there's this like place with it's like a manuscript museum or something like.
Speaker 2: It's like a small.
Speaker 1: Private manuscript because it's so small, it's a very weird museum. It's just like run by a few people in town. And uh, there was a whole section that was a Titanic themed room where they had like printouts of menus and stuff, and then like a few manuscripts, a few maybe uh actual letters from people from the Titanic or something. But they made it like a whole event where you walk in and you grab a little printed out boarding pass of like a of one of the passengers on the ship.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, one of the women who worked at the docent, who was working there, came up to us and quizzed us about the Titanic for a while. I learned very much. I always forget that rich people from the past were like equally as rich as the rich people now, not equally because we have billionaires now, but I always think, sort of the richness in the universe is much more grand than it used to be. But that's obviously not true. A boarding pass for one, for a first class boarding pass, guess how much it costs for the week?
Speaker 3: Are we talking in today's money?
Speaker 1: In today's money for the five days.
Speaker 3: One hundred thousand dollars one hundred and thirty three thousand.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy.
Speaker 3: That is crazy. And I wasn't that far off.
Speaker 1: You were not that far off at all. I guess I guess like three hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: And that's on me, and that's on me maybe at the time, maybe in that time's money.
Speaker 1: I think I was thinking for like one day. Yeah, at the time, I don't know what I was thinking. But she was like, at no, anyway, this person quizzes us and then you know, we spend a bit of time doing that. So as we left, she said, hey, would you guys like a necklace.
Speaker 3: The Heart of the Ocean just unveiled for the listener from beneath her shirt, a replica, a small tweet replica of the films of the necklace the Heart of the Ocean from the James Cameron nineteen ninety two hit film Titanic.
Speaker 2: Yes, so now I was worried.
Speaker 1: I was wearing the Heart of the Ocean inside of a hobbit hole and I was like, this is whoa.
Speaker 3: Never would I have ever thought, that's very understanding. Two films that you were pretty like ambivalent about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of now no, no, he's a fan.
Speaker 3: This is weird.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It was actually really weird. It was weird.
Speaker 1: So I had a very weird weekend. But Santa Barbara is beautiful. Being in a hobbit hole was amazing. It made me want to read the Hobbit.
Speaker 3: I felt the Hobbit.
Speaker 2: It's cute, it's very it's more like for kids. Huh.
Speaker 3: It's cute kind of, but it's written by a guy who was so traumatized by the war, so it's fine to read it as an adult.
Speaker 2: Hey girl, thank you for listening to my girl thing.
Speaker 3: I loved that. That sounds like a dream weekend.
Speaker 2: It was wild, Hey girl, Hey girl. Yes.
Speaker 3: Well, as as we discussed off Mike, I was publicly betrayed this weekend, publicly betrayed, and I'm so sorry, publically betrayed by I'm so sorry God. Could you imagine we discuss it off Mike, but I bring it up again on mikeshing out, but I'd like to keep hashing. I was publicly betrayed by a friend, former friend God, And uh yeah, just you know, reckoning, I'm just reckoning. We're just having a reckoning. I've just been processing, processing, and reckoning.
Speaker 2: Have you been journaling walking?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: I thought I should do some journaling, which means I, of course have not done any journaling.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 3: I was like, I would be helpful probably if I journaled about this. So I've actually covered my journal in more books today then it's been covered in already. Yeah, you know. Just we love a public betrayal and kind of the sting of rejection all in one one four hour span, super duper. Oh but you know, I'm fine, it's uh huh. I'm being really chill about it all. So I have no words.
Speaker 2: I don't have any worries anymore.
Speaker 3: But I was very pleased to have a very stupid film to watch this week.
Speaker 1: This really is the opposite of last week's film.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the Depression. Uh huh uh huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's me.
Speaker 1: Nothing really, nothing that we can discuss on Mike. Sorry, listeners, keeping ant, But I'm glad that you have friends that you can Yes, chat was very helpful because it was public, it was a public betrayal.
Speaker 3: It was so helpful processing with you yesterday. You said so many very funny things that we were still laughing about in our household.
Speaker 2: I called it like I hear it, yeah.
Speaker 3: And you heard it correct, which it was that was great, So thank you, thank you for being, thank you for me process and uh and now now we get to talk about a very silly yeah.
Speaker 1: This is this is women supporting women in a big way, since there were no public betrayals in this film.
Speaker 3: So Sienna, could you please give a synopsis of the Marvels.
Speaker 2: Yes, I will.
Speaker 1: I didn't check anything, so it'll be great for you to fill things in for me. O.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Marvels.
Speaker 1: Three women have powers that relate to light. Mm hm.
Speaker 2: One can see it, one turns it into physical stuff, and one I wrote, uses it to be strong.
Speaker 1: Question Mark sends it like does she used?
Speaker 2: She like fights with it?
Speaker 1: Oh that's Marvel sort of the most established of the super of these people.
Speaker 2: Then there's Miss Marvel.
Speaker 1: There's the teenager version who actually I saw some of her miniseries.
Speaker 2: Oh what oh you saw Miss Marvel? Miss Marvel?
Speaker 1: Oh I thought you meant like that actor had made a no no, but it was like a series. It was Yes, it's a serious of Miss Marvel, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: But then I was like.
Speaker 3: Yes, hello, y oh, yay, oh good, okay yay.
Speaker 1: And then Monica mm hmm Monica m French Okay, Monica Rambo.
Speaker 3: I'm just imagining the Sylvester Stallone film, and everyone's like something, it's French, it's French. What is that?
Speaker 2: It's like a big French guy.
Speaker 1: She's related to Captain Marvel in some way, but she sees light and it's like a science a.
Speaker 2: Woman in Stem.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can't call her a scientist. You have to call her a woman.
Speaker 2: A scientist.
Speaker 3: Sorry, she's still a woman stem.
Speaker 1: Due to a quantum situation, the three heroes are faced with sort of a rapid three part Freaky Friday sort of conundrum situation, but in their own bodies, so okay. Every time they use their power simultaneously, they switch spots.
Speaker 2: Some they're sent to the other place.
Speaker 1: Which leads to some pretty farcical situations. They're trying to stop the one bad woman from stealing resources all over the galaxy to revive her own tarnished country, so it's kind of like yeah, I mean later we find out also Captain Marvel's the one who like ruined her world. We're trying to get water for people fair enough, not good, but you can't have far water. That's what wars have always been. There is a cat component that I didn't understand. The women work together to be awesome and save the day, and then Monica gets sucked into another dimension the end. Whoa, I just punched in the into the air while I was doing this podcast.
Speaker 2: And now I'm in London in Leanna's room. Whoa, I'm in Sienna's I gotta get to the bottom of this. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leanna, I actually had a great time.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Really is so silly and fun. It was, Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch it in the theater. I watched it sort of on my laptop. Yeah, like doing some crafts and things. And it was actually great, a delightful time. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So I definitely missed some stuff, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I expected.
Speaker 1: But I loved these girls. Oh my god, women, women, women.
Speaker 2: Turns out I can't believe this.
Speaker 1: Yes, it being all girls as superheroes. Turns out I was all four and there's a real family component.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yay, Okay, let's get into our phone notes about the Marvels. Second the podcast, where we read the notes that the other person took on their phone while watching the film, and Sianna, thank you for hopping into the mentality. Your first note is Leanna said, have a fun dumb time here. I go, yay, yeah, and I did.
Speaker 1: I like I said, I already knew Miss Marvel. Did you watch any of those series or anything?
Speaker 3: There was a weird month time, Yes, yeah you did, yeah, because it was the thick of the pandemic. Yeah, so it was WandaVision, and then it was The Falcon in the Winter Soldier, which was hot garbage and I do mean hot because hello, Sebastian stand and then Miss Marvel and Loki as well. I think those are the four that I've seen. There have been others, but I can't keep.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, wait Leona, you said, OMG quote and she's blind?
Speaker 2: Oh what is that? Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Okay. So when I first saw this movie, I saw it in theaters with Akshay, friend of the Pod.
Speaker 2: And did it come out really recently?
Speaker 3: No, it came out two years ago. The woman who plays the villain, Yes, the actress name is Zowey Ashton, and she looked really familiar to me. So during the movie I turned to Akshay and I was like, oh, who is that again? And he was like, oh, her name is Ahwey Ashton. She's been in this in this and I was like, oh, that's right, and she's blind and he was like, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, because she has blue eyes.
Speaker 3: No she's not.
Speaker 2: She has very light eyes.
Speaker 3: But it's because the colored contacts that they used in this movie were so insane that.
Speaker 2: I thought very cloudy.
Speaker 3: I thought she was blind.
Speaker 2: And it.
Speaker 3: Was also like when she was looking at something, the colored contacts made it look like she wasn't quite looking directly at it. So I was like, well, she's turned to like in the direction she's looking, but she's not actually seeing.
Speaker 2: I think I remember this blind actress. I think I remember her.
Speaker 1: So the phrase and she's blinding on your head lot it was going through my head. It's something i'll say when I get something like just completely wrong. Oh and she's blind, totally not she's blind, No, she is not.
Speaker 2: She's not Leanna, you said, Sianta, was this shocking to you? You mean all the information or.
Speaker 3: I mean the first time that a cat opened its mouth and swallowed something with the tentacles that came out of it.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that from another movie was explained in this one.
Speaker 3: Not in this one. No, but I do want to know what your reaction was when it happened the first time before it then proceeded to happen.
Speaker 2: I was shocked. I said, now, is this what's his name Fury? Nick Fury? Yes?
Speaker 1: Is this Nick Fury's pet from the movies that everybody knows that I don't know? Was just like this cat with the tentacles? And I just sort of accepted that. And then later when there were more of them hatching out of brains, I went, I must have missed at the beginning when they said this was happening, and I'm just gonna have to move on and ask Leanna about it. But I don't get why the bad lady would have been leaving all of these brains.
Speaker 2: In their in their car. Why your Yeah? So I was.
Speaker 1: I guess I was so confused that I just accepted that I had missed the context perfect. I did originally think it was Nick Fury's like beloved pet or.
Speaker 3: Something m classic that his classic pet.
Speaker 2: Well, so tell me, please tell me.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the cat, so this is an orange cat who can swallow things via giant tentacles that come out of its mouth. Quite discuss it is a little disgusting, but once you get into it, it's pretty hilarious totally. The cat is named Goose, which is the best name for a cat, and I stand by that regardless of context. And Goose is a flurkin, which is some sort of alien creature. And Goose was introduced intro Goosed if you will, in Captain Marvel.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it was just a fun little it was just fun little daily cat had kittens. Who yeah, Leanna, you've said Tessa Thompson, but as her character for men in Black Man Sienna, this will really not be making any sense.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I don't remember when Thompson showed up with a British accent?
Speaker 2: Yes, what was she doing?
Speaker 3: Right? Do you remember when we went to see Thor ragnarok.
Speaker 2: Yes I do, I do.
Speaker 3: She was playing that character Valkyrie. Okay, who is this like sleigh badass warrior as Guard universe? Yeah, she's part of the Thor cinematic universe. Okay, and blah blah blah blah, so many billions of dollars in movies later. She now lives in Norway because that's now where as Guard is and the president there Earth Norway. That's it's a whole I can't I had genuine no, I'm not even ind in beginning to get into it. But what I thought was so funny is that in this movie she shows up in a suit, like a black suit with a black tie, dressed like her character from the film Men in Black, that no one saw, unfortunately, And I was like, what even to me?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: But okay, well, it's because like everybody's like, Valkyrie is obviously also a lesbian, so we're just gonna like have two lesbians kind of kiss on the cheek, but not anything else because of China.
Speaker 1: Is that? Yeah, the the proposed couple coupling.
Speaker 2: For Captain who knows, or there's many.
Speaker 3: I bet that would be a strong contender, but really the more canonical one. And of course, when I say canonical, no one ever wrote this down. Yeah, none of the men who made these things, but fans actually wrote these in. But everybody understands her like love was her partner from their days in Air Force. Monica Rambo's mom Oh that makes sense. Yeah, yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Thinking about oh no, oh, please please just think about how women got away with this for years and years and years and years, and the way I said that it was horrible and we.
Speaker 2: Have to cut it out.
Speaker 1: How women have been like able to mask their lesbianism for years when it was unsafe because best friendship is just so nuanced. So I was like, I thought they were best friends, but it makes so much sense that it's both. You know that they're also in love, but it's like wow, the fact that we're just immediately like, okay, yeah, she could just be her life partner, best friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all those historical accounts that are like yes, and she lived with her best friend for sixty years and you're like, okay, they shared a bed because they were they were so close, they were such best friends.
Speaker 2: I love women.
Speaker 3: They were the best of friends. Yes, And speaking of your next note was okay, these movies are way more fun when all girls.
Speaker 1: It was just at some point, yeah, one of them was going up to like yell at the bad guy, and I was like, yeah, I love this.
Speaker 2: I know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Also, the woman who's being bad is she's literally like I want my people to be able to breathe mm hmm, So I'm gonna go do bad stuff now. And it's like that makes sense to me. As a justification for like why you're like screwing you guys. You know she was being nasty. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't on board, but you know, like it was like it wasn't for extreme greed or something.
Speaker 2: You know, she was like doing that like any nation would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like any nation would stealing the sun of another planet kind of uh huh, Leona, you have said you can kind of just say whatever in Marvel films.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, when did you think of this?
Speaker 3: Because I think the whole time, the whole time, it was when some character was talking to another character about some made up people on some made up planet with some made up weapon during some made up and I was like, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Sure none of that was words, but sure.
Speaker 3: Like every time they go to a new location and put like the location card on the screen, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, whatever, Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 3: I like Planet's Oregon in the Universe floorp And You're like, what.
Speaker 1: A lot of it is from the comics, as we assume. Yeah, but they really could just slip in a few just they just kind.
Speaker 3: Of smash those keyboardsn't matter.
Speaker 1: We all go okay, all right, all right, I'm glad this is making billions of dollars. Leanna, you've said that cat is me eating this cheesecake right now?
Speaker 2: Did it inhale a human or something?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Huh? It inhaled a full arm chair?
Speaker 2: You're eating cheesecake?
Speaker 3: What kind lemon? I'mon Drizzley. Of course was a bit flavorless because it's like Tesco store bat. But I needed a cheesecake. When one has been publicly betrayed, one must get a cheesecake.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's a.
Speaker 3: Simple rule of life. Yeah, so I was eating cheesecake during the film.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 1: I ate a half of a trader Joe's microwave was on your last night, and it was so good while watching this movie. It was so good. It was one of those things for I'm happy for you. I'm actually eating far more than I need to eat in terms of how full I am, but.
Speaker 2: I'm enjoying it. So I'm just enjoying the experience, and I'm so glad I did.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that mine was more of a flirt in swallowing an armchair hole. Okay, Sianna, you wrote love that her name is Carol.
Speaker 2: That is so funny. She's from the nineties. I'm her fault. I actually love that. I'm glad even in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, she should have a grown woman's name, she should have an established woman's name.
Speaker 2: She's established.
Speaker 3: Carol is the name of an established woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's been around, that's true.
Speaker 3: I don't know a single Carol who's not established.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I actually have only ever met one Carol, and she was my music teacher in like the second grade, And I said, that is an established woman. I just seven year old ass was like, what an established woman?
Speaker 2: She has established a life for herself.
Speaker 1: I just I love that she's like this mythical powerful figure who like warps light to destroy and and save.
Speaker 2: And they're like, where's Carol, Where's Carol? Dan Carrol? Yeah? I love that.
Speaker 1: Leanna Okay, yeah, well this is a good time to check in about this. You said kittens everywhere, which is so funny.
Speaker 2: Were you laughing similarly to the first time you saw it? Was it making me laugh a lot?
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, yesterday I was still in my processing mode after the public betrayal from the weekend, so I wasn't in a very fun mood. But I recall the first time I saw this. I was laughing as hard as during the opening number of Cats the film, when I was high on an edible in la at the Chinese Theater behind Paul F. Tompkins, and everyone was giggling and I thought I might never stop giggling. And this one, I remembered that there were a bunch of cats and it was insane. What I had forgotten was that they set it to the song Memory from the musical Cats.
Speaker 2: I didn't even notice that.
Speaker 3: Oh man, oh man, this was this buttered my bit so hard. There's nothing that's better than that. And they're just carrying kittens around and they're swallowing people. But it says like a storage it's for storage purposes so they can transport everyone safely, like everyone's fine. Oh my god, it was so funny. That's exactly what I want to see in a film. So awesome it really, I couldn't believe it was happening. The first time that I saw the movie, I thought I was in heaven.
Speaker 2: Were you high?
Speaker 3: No? No, because it was in the UK, and I can't get weed here because I'm on a visa. It's not legal.
Speaker 1: I love on Leonna can't stop laughing. It's something I enjoy so much. It happens so rarely, not that rarely, Oh thank you. It weirdly is often related to something about cats.
Speaker 3: So well, it's something so extremely giggle. Yeah, they're extremely silly.
Speaker 2: It was silly.
Speaker 3: I love when something is silly.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: I think if I.
Speaker 1: Had understood that this had no bearing on the plot or story in any way, shape or form, I wouldn't be able to come at it with more of a I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't scared, but I was just like, when am I getting scared? What am I gonna know? Is this bad?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is this really bad? I don't know, I didn't know mistakes.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh no, like she's killing them, She's gonna kill them with these mutant cats.
Speaker 2: She's bad, lady, She's bad. But it was actually with any of that.
Speaker 3: And when the cats went zero gravity, uh yeah, at one points and loads them all into an escape pod and closes it and oh the cats start floating, are floating. They go to Earth. They take everybody from the ship back to Earth or for safety purposes.
Speaker 2: Where are the cats going to Earth?
Speaker 3: Okay, so the cat the whole crew of the ship, and so that they can transport them in smaller being.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 3: Got So that's why they're chasing everyone around the ship and getting them swallowed. There's a line in it that was so funny.
Speaker 2: That was like I missed that.
Speaker 3: I don't know, actually a line in it that was stop running, let the flirkins eat you.
Speaker 2: Wow, genius.
Speaker 1: I think that I saw what I expected to see, which is that I was like, these are bad cats.
Speaker 2: They're bad.
Speaker 1: So they're putting them onto a ship and sending them off into the universe. And then these guys don't need to escape anymore because they aren't being attacked by the cats, which are the ultimate villain of the film. But now I see it, it makes more sense.
Speaker 3: That's just you're pushing a very anti cat agenda with that.
Speaker 1: Just well the cats have tentaclet, but in the silly way.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think.
Speaker 1: I just it's made making sense now, and there's so much that I accept that it's really easy for me to just yeah, go down a path and go Well, didn't make sense, but probably something happened that I didn't understand. Okay, Well, that's very genius of them.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Did a cat just swallow your armchair. Don't worry, it'll reappear in about three minutes. We'll see it.
Speaker 2: Then it's going to happen to it.
Speaker 3: Well, it'll be different, Leanna.
Speaker 1: Your final notes are normalized flying directly into the sun.
Speaker 3: Again, I was processing yesterday.
Speaker 2: Normalized flying directly into the sun. Normalize it.
Speaker 3: Normalize that.
Speaker 1: You said, Oh my gosh, Sienna, this really won't make sense. We're talking about the final the after credit scene.
Speaker 3: I must be that's got to be what I was talking.
Speaker 2: I hated that.
Speaker 1: I was like, I enjoyed that bog and then I got to the final, the very very final moments, and I went, why did you do that to me?
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: It's a really fine line a post credits scene because it's supposed to the palette for more, but sometimes it's so out of left field and introducing new characters that you're like, oh, I don't know if I even have the time.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh god, it made me tired. Leona, your final tired. Your final note is women, Women, Women.
Speaker 3: It was directed by a woman, it was written by women that women.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I had a fun time with these girls. These girls are my friends. These girls are your girlies, they're my friends and earlier girls they're my girl Tina's.
Speaker 2: Mama's side note.
Speaker 1: I tried to teach the or not tried to teach. I said something about Girlina in front of the musician that we toured with. He keeps trying to say it, and he'll be like, yeah, good luck girla.
Speaker 3: Oh that feels derogatory, gorilla.
Speaker 2: I just had a moment where I realized that I, like with King.
Speaker 1: Kong, I would be like, oh, like he just wants a tiny human woman yea to crush, and then he'd like see an an actual human woman as opposed to you. He'd see like a giant a tiny he'd see like an average sized human woman and just like immediately like throw me into the ocean.
Speaker 3: Between us or Sabrina Carpenter. Who do you think King Kong would choose?
Speaker 1: We all know, we all know he's going for He's going for the most exotically small. There was a mobile while watching where I was like, her basketball shorts are probably extra small. That's probably the size of those like little sporty shorts she's wearing. Like we are the same species species she might not be though she's Carol Danvers. That's true, but I'm just like, our bodies are all so different and to even try to like compare is wild.
Speaker 2: Do you know what.
Speaker 3: This is a great segue. I'm gonna give a badge about this. So let's jump into our segment badges and tradges, where we award badges for well Larsen, badges for Bree Larsen and Co. And tradges for tentacle mouthed cats. Great. I will give a badge for the fact that each all three of these women had different body types.
Speaker 2: That's true, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: And they were all extremely gorginta.
Speaker 2: But it was like, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, I know movies Captain Marvel is like extremely skinny. But then the other two were not also extremely skinny, and I was like, work, yeah, they were actually who has curves? And then a woman who is a teen Yeah, and her costume is is not as tight fitting. I just that is powerful.
Speaker 1: That is such a great point and also probably another reason why I enjoyed this film and was actually able like why it lit up my eyes?
Speaker 2: It lit up my eyes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like it's just I'm used to these being so cookie cutter about everything, and they're really boring and.
Speaker 2: Everything looks the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and first of all, the women had personalities, which I think is also rare.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but yes, of all, there was more than one woman.
Speaker 1: I remember noticing that at some point because they also have really different costumes.
Speaker 3: And I was like, yeah, so fun they when they come out in all their different costumes on the song planet, Yeah, that's when I noticed it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a great point.
Speaker 1: I have a badge for the power montage when they're learning their powers.
Speaker 2: Fun, that was just fun. I went, okay, okay, alright.
Speaker 3: When they were doing double.
Speaker 1: Books, yeah, oh my god, are you kidding?
Speaker 3: And that they were all in like relaxing in the home outfits as well. That was women.
Speaker 2: It was like a girl power montage.
Speaker 1: Their comfy, they're doing jump rope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a classic sleepover. I have a badge for Cat.
Speaker 1: Love that for you, cat love that Okay, I wrote Cat. I wrote badge for some fierce commentary on family here, I wrote, why am I crying about the That's not how family works. Oh that actually made me emotional.
Speaker 2: Even though I know that this stuff is written by AI. I know that they just like go through.
Speaker 1: They have like a big list where they go through. Okay, what's our email line that we're putting on, what's the emotional line? Okay, this one, let's type in a keyword. This one's sort of I don't know family like women, and then the women one has like motherhood and then family, and they hate that.
Speaker 3: I have a badge for it's okay for things to sometimes just be fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Oh, I agree.
Speaker 1: This was just like a fun movie, which is the perfect use of a.
Speaker 3: Marvel summer blockbuster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I'm like, oh, I get It's kind of those moments where I get it where I'm like, I don't know what's happening, but they're having fun with things like blowing up and then these women all trying to work together.
Speaker 2: That's all I need.
Speaker 3: That's why thora Ragnarok was such a hit too. Everybody was like, true, oh my god, I'm just having fun.
Speaker 1: I had fun at that.
Speaker 2: I had fun at that. That was fun.
Speaker 3: Number. When I sat between you and your boyfriend while we.
Speaker 1: Watched that, we were not a good pair. We did not like each other in that way. I was like, please for this, and then he hit me in the face. With his coat and didn't say sorry, Oh.
Speaker 3: My god, that's right. God, what a historic night. So much happened.
Speaker 2: We're both like, please, can we hang out with Leona and not each other?
Speaker 1: Oh okay?
Speaker 3: I have that effect on couples, not people who are single. It's weird anyway.
Speaker 1: My final badges just for song World, Song World. I thought the song World was fun.
Speaker 3: Song World that was fun. I have a badge for Imman Vaalani carries this film. She plays Cola Kon. She's like, God, she's amazing.
Speaker 1: When she they were like diving into the she was afraid that the ship was gonna like dive into the water, and she yells in a way that is both very funny and also really conveyed genuine fear, and I was like, this is a great actress.
Speaker 3: She slays. She's so funny and so she really is like the heart of this film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so much.
Speaker 1: Also badge for her family. They were just cracking me up. It's just fun having somebody's whole family around. And yeah, like when the dad is.
Speaker 3: Trying to talk about finance, that was so funny and then so funny and he's like how old are you? And the guy's like three hundred and six, and then the son is like, oh, same age.
Speaker 1: And when the son tries to mute his mom with a I was like, oh, my gosh, that's fun funny every time. Yeah, badge for yes Mama, hug her. When Monica Rambo is sharing her trauma about how she lost her mom and then Kamala just goes over and hugs her, I was like, this is women, because in no superhero movie before is anybody doing this. They're all just like, here's my trauma. You know, no one is true spitting Oh, badge for a training montage, of course, A badge for Monica vibing to the song. She's just like at the end of the song that Bree does with the Prince, Monica Rambo is just vibing in the background, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, say, and my final badges. Sorry.
Speaker 1: I just remembered when she came in and she saw all the cats. Lodica gets there, she says like cats and then she's like, I.
Speaker 3: Can't, I can't, can't, I can't. Can you deal with I can't.
Speaker 1: It was such a genuine, such a genuine feeling that she conveyed, and I was like.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, yeah, and deeply related. My final badge is for yes floating Cat, Yes me memory perfect trages trag is I guess I have only one track?
Speaker 2: Oh I have two?
Speaker 3: Okay, great, well why don't you start.
Speaker 1: My first trage is and now I get it. But my first trage was I decay about these cats.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand.
Speaker 1: It was truly the one part of the movie that I was like, I'm confused to an extent that I have to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you reconcilably confused. But now I get it, So that's on.
Speaker 3: My trage is for space. I don't care about space. I don't want to see it in films. It's there's too many planets and it's overwhelming. There's a lot Just be on one planet. It goes on forever. I can't deal with all these rocks.
Speaker 2: My final trage is after credits scene.
Speaker 3: Too confusing, very confusing.
Speaker 2: I was upset.
Speaker 1: I felt like he figured out so much, and then all of a sudden, her mom doesn't know her, and her mom is wearing the Bengals that they just fought so hard for it.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, am I going I didn't even notice that? Rip them off? Her hands. That's at least what I saw, unless they looked exactly the same.
Speaker 3: I believe you. And that guy is blue. I think they're setting up the X Men because he's from X Men. I don't but we've never seen him in this Emily you before.
Speaker 2: There's never a moment of rest with these after credit scenes.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: And once again, now that I understand the Hobbit, why won't they snuggle in and a rest for their adventure?
Speaker 3: Go to your hobbit hole like Bilbo would? What would Bilbo do?
Speaker 2: Doesn't he have like a great sleep after his adventure? That's like a part of the book. I love that.
Speaker 3: And he loves breakfast. Yeah, he loves food. He's so food motivad.
Speaker 2: That's what I want to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, snuggle get it, eat an entire lasagna from Trader Joe's. Deserve that, and then you can go to another dimension.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, or do what I do and flirt and swallow a cheesecake.
Speaker 1: Either way, Well, Leana, shall we move on to our next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film?
Speaker 2: Yes, where you.
Speaker 3: Know you are, You're you're doing it. You're jumping rope with your gurlies. You're doing double dead.
Speaker 2: Rope, having a fun time. Girls, girly sleepover.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter what age. You're never too old and you're playing double deck.
Speaker 3: Have to sleep every day. And what's so beautiful as there were so few men in this that it's hard to pick a name, and none of them were annoying. That's a flurkin. A flirkin comes up to you, male, I guess goose goose the flirkin.
Speaker 2: Goose comes up to you, It says, ah, jump roping. I see.
Speaker 1: I just love seeing women have fun together, no men at all. It's my favorite thing because they feel safe in a way they never do around me. One movie that I loved I saw it alone, but I'm sure you'd like to go with me next time is the movie The Marvels. Love it because there's so many body types and I love to look at them all.
Speaker 3: And in order to get Goose the Flirkin to swallow himself whole, we're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film The Marvels. Yes, Goose, I've seen The Marvels. The actor who plays the villain is called Zawe Ashton and she is not blind.
Speaker 2: An amazing fact.
Speaker 3: As it turns out.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay, fun fact.
Speaker 1: Yes, Goose, I have seen the I have seen the film The Marvels. This was true for this film and in the first film that this cat is in. Brie Larson had to use a stunt double for those scenes in which Carol is in the same room as Goose because she's severely allergic to cats.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, wow, wow, wow.
Speaker 2: Such a funny thing for a stunt double.
Speaker 3: Yes, Goose, I've seen The Marvels. Yet another film in which they make a British person say in a British accent. I haven't the fogiest idea. Seeing this with a British friend, he went, oh my god.
Speaker 1: The British people in Marvel movies are so British and in a way they very British.
Speaker 3: It almost feels offensive.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, fun fact. And I'm choosing all the facts that aren't that much about Marvel because I have to choose the ones that interest me. By the way, But yes, yes, Goose, I have seen the film The Marvels.
Speaker 2: Fun fact.
Speaker 1: Brie Larsen came to set wearing crocs for rehearsal, and the director Niadacosta decided they were perfect for Carol's lazy days on the ship.
Speaker 3: Yes, because she is a lesbian.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine? Can you imagine getting there and going and the director goes, why don't you just wear that while while on set and you get to go?
Speaker 3: I think, I really think you do have to be a level of hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so true.
Speaker 3: Everything that you are near also looks hot.
Speaker 2: The things she was wearing. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 3: Yes, Goose, I've seen The Marvels. My pitch for what the post credits scene should have been is the scene in The Marvels where they sort of crash land into a field of wheat. I want them to crash land into a field of wheat and look up and Alphaba from Wicked is strutting past while singing the end of the Wizard and I from the hit film Wicked twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: There were some wickedly moments of this.
Speaker 3: Wickedly talented I want something fun.
Speaker 1: Oh god, uh, yes, I have seen, yes, Goose, I have seen the film The Marvels. This is the thirty third film in the marvel universe.
Speaker 2: That is too many.
Speaker 3: It's too many.
Speaker 2: That's too many many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: How many people have seen them all.
Speaker 3: Anyway? Probably like one hundred and thirty thousand or something.
Speaker 2: Oh god, well, oh.
Speaker 3: See, I know. Let's let's time warp. I don't know into our next segment should you watch this or where we tell you if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do something else with your time space continuum. I'll start. I would say you can. If you are in the mood for a silly and also goofy time, you could take an edible or maybe some mushrooms and have a comfy sit down on a very comfy couch and watch the Marvels. If you're not in the mood for a movie, you could watch the Disney Plus series Miss Marvel, because I think it's very fun and goofy. And if you're in the mood for something that makes fun of comic book cinematic universes, you could watch the franchise.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I need to watch.
Speaker 3: That, which is very funny. I enjoyed it a lot. I don't think anybody else watched it. I don't know anyone else who's seen it.
Speaker 1: My parents, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: They said it's really good.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, great, so did Leanna. What would you say, Sienna?
Speaker 1: I would say, if you're gonna watch if you want to watch a Marvel movie, definitely watch this one.
Speaker 2: It was so fun. Yay, have fun.
Speaker 1: I guess if you're gonna watch something else, I would watch the franchise. I haven't seen it yet, but I want to.
Speaker 2: Yay, yay.
Speaker 3: I would rate the Marvels. I'll give this, you know what, whatever, four flirkins out of five.
Speaker 2: Who cares.
Speaker 3: It's fun, it's women supporting women, it's colorful, there's extremely silly stuff. There's a hundred kittens floating around. It's pretty much everything I need from a film. Sienna, what would you say?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give this movie.
Speaker 1: Three point two fierce bangles out of five. I had a silly fun time at a sly fun time. I'm never gonna choose to watch a Marvel film. Really, there's plenty that I guess I was confused about.
Speaker 2: But m hm. They put in the work and it paid off. Yeah, that's fun. Smooth brain, smooth brain brain.
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody so much for listening to this episode of Toss Popcorn. This. We've watched a few Marvel movies and I have said horrible things and this one was true.
Speaker 3: I haven't listened through our our series of Captain America trilogy films, or don't and you will hear that? Well, you know, maybe do listen.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding, listen, listen, listen. They were fun to talk about.
Speaker 1: You can find us at toss Popcorn on Instagram. We post memes and things and fun posters, and you can follow us on Patreon. We very much appreciate the support, and we post our reviews with our faces showing whoo of modern spoiler alert of modern films recently come out the IT films. If you will, that's patreon dot com, slash toss Popcorn and join us next week when we will be.
Speaker 3: Watching Flaming Hot. Well yeah, even what that is? I was thinking it was not Joe Libre, but it's not. Okay, Thank you, We love you. Bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn for more podcasts from my Heart Radio check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Are there kittens everywhere right now?
Speaker 1: Touch me?
Speaker 2: It's so easy, lily me. We'll be all in the man of my day in the show. That musical is insane. It's about cats.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it exists.
Speaker 2: I mean, they really love that.
Speaker 1: I go