Speaker 1: Wait, are two people a group?
Speaker 2: You're listening Today and Nightshade? Before we begin our dive into the world of all things poison A quick note. This podcast discusses real life cases involving poisoning, violence, and death, which some listeners may find upsetting. Please listen at your own risk. This episode includes references to infant and child death. Take care while listening and enjoy the episode. Hey, Hi, Hello, Welcome to Day in Nightshade, the podcast where history's most infamous poisoners meet their match, and by match I mean well us armed with quite frankly unhealthy amount of research. I'm Jay, I'm one of your guys for this episode through the murky world of Victorian England and the somewhat stupid poisoner mister William Palmer.
Speaker 1: And I'm Katie here to provide some scientific insight, a brain full of random facts, and the occasional shocked gasp. So this is the very first episode of what we hope will be a very long running podcast, Day and Nightshade.
Speaker 2: We both don't want it to end, really no, it's the only way that we can force each other to spend time with each other because we have ADHD and we keep forgetting to communicate. But also I live in a different country, and like I said, I'm Jay. I live in Germany near the Black Forest, near the Black Forest, which is a cool place and it's back poisons and mushrooms. But it means that we can't see each other in person all that often.
Speaker 1: Hm.
Speaker 2: And so this podcast is a way to keep our friendship alive. That's basically what we're doing it for. So you need to listen to it otherwise you're gonna ruin a friendship. It's gonna be your fault.
Speaker 1: It will be your fault.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to introduce people to the threat. No, we've been friends for almost ten years, regardless of me being in Germany or not. And yeah, we both have a fascination for true crime and very specifically for poisons and poisoners.
Speaker 1: You might know Katie. You might know me from my globally chartbing Pooda. You might know me from podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah you're so famous.
Speaker 1: I'm no. I actually have a sweatshirt that says nobody nobody cares if your Internet famous.
Speaker 2: I definitely don't care. I knew you before the fame, that's true, that's just poisoned you No, Katie's podcast is awesome. It's Who Did What Now pod if you want to listen to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think I'm probably gonna as you may be listening to this episode as a preliminary drop on my podcast channel, just just so that you know where you're going to be going.
Speaker 2: We will be doing the things.
Speaker 1: We will be doing things, so make sure to share care and let's in to day and night Hade. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Today, as I said, we're going to be talking about William Palmer, doctor, gambler, murderer, a man who you think would be good at those three things, but no, no, he was shockingly terrible at every single one of them, and extremely bad at hiding his crimes.
Speaker 1: For someone called the Prince of Poisoners, he had all the subtlety of a bull and a China show.
Speaker 2: Honestly, if poisoners had a ranking scale, he'd be somewhere between Captain obvious and practically waving a giant red flag.
Speaker 1: And yet somehow he still managed to mudder at least fourteen people allegedly allegedly.
Speaker 2: We can't it's been a long time, but it's alleged. We don't know. Important word there allegedly, because if he's listening from the afterlife, I'd like to say, William, buddy, we know you did it. It's pretty damn obvious.
Speaker 1: And the jury is certainly though still as well. So anyway, let's get back to where it all began. Shall we about to make an angel music joke like heart playing. I went with them lesbian purring for some reason I don't know.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Picture the scene. Picture the scene, Katie in your mind's eye. I'm picturing Roxley, Staffordshire, England, the year eighteen twenty four. A child is born, No, not into poverty, but into a wealthy family with eight kids. Nope, yes, nope, yes, no, yes, two parents, Sarah and Joseph Palmer, and eight kids, eight kids, eight yes.
Speaker 1: Little fresh humans. And they had money. The thing that wait, the thing that usually helps people like not become criminals.
Speaker 2: You'd think that, you'd think that it would, but no, See, mister Palmer had a gift. He could take a perfectly fine situation and completely ruin it, destroy it, goodbye, Calm Hello William Palmer.
Speaker 1: I mean that is a little bit relatable. Infirm as he falls into roses and comes out smell and the ship seems to be a bit.
Speaker 2: Seems to be my life. But the thing is that, dear William, that I didn't murder people. So as much as I can relate slightly, I don't relate to that yet.
Speaker 1: For legally, that was a joke.
Speaker 2: Jo, that was a joke. It's one of those joke things that I sometimes do. So his father, his father, his father was a sawyer. Do you say he was a sawyer? He was? He was a sawyer. You say so, I know, so, you say so, I saw so, you saw so he was a sawyer.
Speaker 1: I saw so he's a sawyer.
Speaker 2: This makes no sense.
Speaker 1: So a sawyer, for those of you who don't know, is a person who works in a saw mill.
Speaker 2: Nice little tip bit of ben further, thank you.
Speaker 1: Can I also like interject with a weak question. Yeah, sure, his father was a sawyer and they were rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the likelihood is he owned the saw mill, or at least had some level of misteaks in it. But Joseph Palmer, his father actually died when William was twelve and left the family with a seventy thousand pound inheritance. Sevent seventy thousand pounds then.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that would be I'm sorry, over six million pounds today. Okay, I'm sorry, colored me suspicious?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that the life insurance that he managed to take out as a sawyer for seventy thousand pounds six million. We're gonna say six million, because that's what we can understand, is that that much money. He got life insurance for six million, and they somehow managed to make that happen. But anyway, back to William. So, William ended up going to study medicine. He became a doctor and like, for a while there, everything in his life was calm, everything seemed fine. But you see, William had a fatal flaw strick naight, I mean yeah. But what I'm talking here though, is gambling. Typically, the man adored a good racetrack, loved his horses. He loved his horses. He got so deep into debt that his medical practice basically became a side hustle to like fund his racing addiction.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a perfectly reasonable combination to me, desperate gambler who has access to a large amount of deadly substances.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And now William Palmer began his so I say, slow descent.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that slow. It was a bit swift. It was with swift.
Speaker 2: But his descent into crime. Speed can be negotiated, can it?
Speaker 1: Can it be negotiated?
Speaker 2: We can. We can talk about how much time means to us at a different point. But Palmer's family, so he ended up marrying a woman named Anne Thornton.
Speaker 1: Let me just look into that quickly.
Speaker 2: Did he marry into the Thornton chocolate family? That would be a great one.
Speaker 1: I don't think it would be.
Speaker 2: But no, and Thornton and she had money, which it turned out was really convenient because well.
Speaker 1: Palmer gambled all his own money away. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Correct, So now and conveniently died in eighteen fifty four, which was only a few months after Palmer took out a life insurance policy.
Speaker 1: On her night when a tragic and totally unforeseeable event.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the eighteen hundreds were wild, Like if your husband took out a life insurance policy on you, you bet I'd have started running, because that's basically a death sentence to you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's not a super fun time to be living in.
Speaker 2: In fairness Victorian England Victorian generally Victorian.
Speaker 1: Generally Victorian England. I mean, everything's out to kill you. Yeah, wallpaper, your husband.
Speaker 2: We went in two very different directions. But yes, the husband. But she died. But she, honestly, in this situation, wasn't the only suspicious death. They had four children together, and all of them died young, some of whom were infants at the time of their deaths Now, obviously the mortality rate higher, but all of.
Speaker 1: Them, all of them. I'm sorry, all of.
Speaker 2: Them, every last one. But this was Victorian England. Like I said to people were like, oh dear, what tragic luck another infant mortality?
Speaker 1: Tragic luck or highly suspect coincidence.
Speaker 2: See, we have the privilege of looking at this from a twenty first century perspective. But actually, do you know, oh historian, what the child mortality rate was in Victorian England?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, So this, say, is what my eighteen hundreds, which would mean about fifteen to twenty percent of children died before the age of one, and about twenty five to thirty percent didn't make it to age five.
Speaker 2: That is a large number. That's actually insane. But these crimes, though, that the death of his wife and his four children, they were not what exposed him What exposed his crimes to the world, or well to England at the time, was the murder of a so called best friend, John Parsons Cook.
Speaker 1: Oh his best day. Yeah, he murdered his best day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they were gambling buddies.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah. He spent most of his time in a doctor's office or at the race track. So it's really either a nurse, a doctor, or a gambler. I mean yeah, that's his social circle. Maybe a jockey if he's lucky enough, but that's that's who he hung out with. But in eighteen fifty five, John Cook won an absolutely massive payout at the time of three thousand pounds.
Speaker 1: Which today and today's money would be near lay half a million pounds bet his absolute best pound buddy of friend, Palmer was so happy for.
Speaker 2: Him, oh, absolutely, In fact, he was so delighted for him that he immediately started poisoning him.
Speaker 1: So thoughtful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so half a million. Can we just take a minute, half a million pounds on a horse. I don't know what he bet to win three thousand, but you know it was odd, that's what I mean, the odds of like we don't know what he must have seen, Like he won three thousand pounds, which at the time was a large amount of money.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sorry, three thousand pounds now money. I wouldn't mind winning three thousand pounds either, would I.
Speaker 2: But when it's the equivalent of half a million on a horse that want to race because it ran fast.
Speaker 1: I mean they go first.
Speaker 2: Though. Yeah, we won't get into the ethics of horse riding're riding.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. I mean I'm not saying.
Speaker 2: I would have gone, oh yeah, shit, I better poison this guy for his half a million. But I would have been proudly like, hey, bestI you got like some square change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sharing his caring friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just not poisoning anyway. The two of them start were staying in a place called Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury, and they were celebrating Cook's big win. But suddenly, coincidentally, Cook started to feel extremely ill.
Speaker 1: And let me guess, Palmer, being a trained doctrinal, was very eager to help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was such a helpful friend, William so Palmer he ended up taking it upon him to quote unquote treat Cook's stomach issues that he was having. And by treat, I mean he was definitely dosing him up with strychnine before dying. Cook actually began to scream, I am poisoned.
Speaker 1: Well that should be case closed.
Speaker 2: Really, that should be it, shouldn't it. The dying man screaming I am poisoned, and the only person with him being a doctor with access to poison, one.
Speaker 1: Would think it's abouty opening shotcase.
Speaker 2: Anyway, imagine your murder victim loudly announcing that they've been poisoned to the world, to the room, and you think I can definitely walk away from this.
Speaker 1: This is not exactly criminal mastermind behavior.
Speaker 2: Well, you've heard us mentioned it a couple of times now, and since this is a poison podcast, strychnine Katie, what do you know about this poison?
Speaker 1: Do I know about poison? Let me get my big book of poisons.
Speaker 2: What is Stryck nine? What does it do?
Speaker 1: Stryck nine? It was an over the count like you can get it over the counter.
Speaker 2: Oh, like pain killers?
Speaker 1: Okay? What does it do? Though? It killed him? I mean yes it did. Listen, you're getting a backstory, okay, oh, the full backstory. The story you will, you will. It had been used like quite a lot. It was in tonics. It was used as like appetites of pressants, all these, all these things. However, it was mainly used as a poison to kill animals.
Speaker 2: Okay, so like rats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it gets better. But then sort of in the Victorian era, it became how did I put this gently a performance enhancing drug because it had effects like coffee, So they thought it would be like I'm met to go first. I'm so oh.
Speaker 2: We went with two different performance enhancing drugs. There meantag I thought they were to have better sex. I thought that's what you were Oh my god. I was like, it kills animals, let's give it to me sex life. Jesus, I'm so sorry. I should have horrified the performance in my fault. It's also the way you looked at me, like wiggling the eyebrows performance enhancing drug. I'm like, what am I supposed to think?
Speaker 1: It's toldly because I don't have botogs and now when I can actually move them. Books Another phone poison, which we will be covering at some point too. Strict nine affects a person's ability to control movement. And what this does is it binds one of the two neurotransmittals that send messages between the nelve cells. One of these neurotransmittals tells a nelve to fire, another one tells it to stop. So it's like stop going stuck off. Okay, So if it glycine and aceta coline, basically strict nine attaches to receptors and therefore blocks the signals for the nelve to stop. What this means is that this forces the continuation of a nerves movement, which is increased by the slightest stimulus.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me that are we talking like their muscles, yes, contract, It's yeah, the muscles contract and they keep contracting.
Speaker 1: They also twitch, they have convulsions. The way that it attacks the central nervous system, the muscles all contract simultaneously. So you're talking legs, arms, back, neck, face. It causes the back to arch unnaturally. You sort of end up like a letter like an upside down you you know, I'm so you're tensed up. Your body is tensing, your facial muscles sort of go into a smile like the joker.
Speaker 2: That's what It's just interesting because that's similar to tatanus is the same thing. It's lock jaw that makes your makes your smile like the jogger, and so it just causes everything. So it looks like you're smiling, when really it's just all of your muscles tightening.
Speaker 1: And you are awake through all of this. And what this does is this causes It basically causes suffocation because of the way that your muscles contract. It puts pressure on the lungs and yeah, and it affects the person's ability to breathe. And because it also stimulates the brain, remember it's a performance in hands, sir, it gives a heightened sense of perception.
Speaker 2: So not only are you suffering from your muscles contracting and not relaxing and you're you're in pain from that, you're hyper aware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're very much aware of everything that is happening to you, and your body is spasming, frozen with your eyes wide open. And it is believed this is like one of the most antagonizing deaths.
Speaker 2: I mean, it certainly sounds it cure treatment kind of.
Speaker 1: If you know that you have consumed strict nine but you haven't had any symptoms yet, you can like flush the stomach right and you can sort of maybe be okay once the symptoms do appear. However, I mean, if you give muscle relax in tranquilizers and rest in a dark, quiet room without stimuli, and the symptoms is kept under control, the poison can pass through the body within twenty four hours, like they were talking eighteen fifties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even today, there's no actual cure unless you are one hundred percent sure that you ingested strict nine and you go before you have symptoms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, effectively, I mean you can kind of maybe keep it under control if they like super quickly get you with like muscle relax and tranquilizers in the thing. But it's a maybe. It's a maybe.
Speaker 2: So there's no real antidote to this. There is not only did he kill people with this poison, he chose something that is and he would have understood this as well as as a doctor. He would have understood that it is agonizing. Yeah, that this is a horrified It's not just you go to sleep and you die.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not like you know, an overdose of ether, right, not just something that would just yeah, he wasn't suffocating in Yeah, in my opinion, it's not like, yes, he did this for his you know, gambling addiction.
Speaker 2: Clearly he wanted the money, so he could gamble more, but he clearly didn't care if his victims suffered. Yeah, Like, that's the thing is that he wasn't just poisoning for money, was he.
Speaker 1: No, he must have had something to do with it because he had other options. Yes, he was a doctor.
Speaker 2: He had access to pharmacies with all levels of what. He could have poisoned people with.
Speaker 1: So many, so many it's the Victorian your our sticks everywhere are you talking about?
Speaker 2: But he chose one of the most that he would have understood, one of the most painful poisons he could have given his wife, his children, and his then friend. Yeah, plus the other people that he There were other children that he had, like illegitimate children, Yeah, and other people that he was around that he also allegedly allegedly poisoned. There's also evidence to suggest that the one of the one of the babies that he Now this is horrible, but one of the babies that he poisoned was seen to have had some sort of seizure. That's why they described what was happening the convulsions, which, from what you've described with strychnine is likely what he'd used at the time as well. So Strick nine was his poison of choice. I know, so to kill a baby with strict nine, to kill anyone, but a baby with strict nine, Like, from what you've just explained, it is beyond excruciating. I can't even imagine that. Yeah, and to have the performance enhancer on top of that, so your brain is not even aware, it's hyper aware as you away. This man clearly was not just in this for the gambling na. He was clearly in this for some level of he enjoyed it. Palmer at this point starts to spiral. The authorities are like, you know, this is this is suspicious, we should start investigating.
Speaker 1: And what you know, a.
Speaker 2: Man screaming as he convulses to death I am poisoned would generally make you think maybe you should open an investigation. But Palmer immediately this is what I'm talking about bowling china shop earlier. He immediately makes this situation worse, like he has a talent for that. What what?
Speaker 1: What what did he do?
Speaker 2: So the first thing he did, because there's multiple things to this, the first thing he did is he tried to bribe Cook's betting agent to hand over Cook's winnings.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, he tried to brabe a bookie.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the smooth the body of a man who had just won three thousand pounds that day or the day before and had died. I mean, authorities ended up exhuming Cook's body because they had already worried him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, an interesting thing about that as well is they exhumed him to the hotel room. Like, they took him back to a hotel room and did the autopsy there. And when they were examining Cook for the second time, yes, Palmer went marching straight up to the corner and he said, are you going to open his stomach?
Speaker 1: No, it's not suspicious at all. What I'm sorry, Captain Obvious just strikes again.
Speaker 2: I mean he basically may as well point and say I put it there. It's like walking into a police station. It's like, just out of curiosity. How long does it take to test a murder weapon for fingerprints?
Speaker 3: Asking for a friend? But okay, I'm sorry, okay, I'm sorry. He wait, he goes to his Bookiy. Yes, so he goes to his bookcase. Yes, he's like, oh, give me the weddings.
Speaker 1: He goes to the bookie. Yeah, to try and bribe a bookie, right, already a bad idea, already a bad idea. You know, it feels like if he had just waited a day, you know, he could have gone with Cook, he could have or just waited near by. He could have waited for Cook to get his money and then poison him and then take the money. I feel like I shouldn't be here given criminals advice or suggestions.
Speaker 2: But I feel like that's common sense. Sounds like William Palmer was not that common.
Speaker 1: I know, I know it was definitely, I mean, uncommon, abnormal, abnormal. So I might even say, and listen, if I can get a young friend could say, drunken here doing it.
Speaker 2: I don't encourage this behavior, courageous behavior. But no, this man didn't only murder the person who had just his so called friend who had just won three thousand pounds. He didn't even wait, like you said, till the money had been collected and then Like, I'm not a gambler. I've never really been in the bookies. But they don't seem like the kind of people that you can just bribe I think type of kies. Do they seem like the people that you can just bribe to get over? So do you think even in eighteen fifty four Victorian England. Those people were like, yeah, just take the money. No, no, no, those people didn't want to hand over the money in the first place. So now you think they want to hand over the money to you, Yeah, to the person who's not And then they would have done some investigating or maybe even heard at that point and travel fast through the grape fine in the Victorian England that a man in that town had now died after winning three thousand pounds and there was only one person with him.
Speaker 1: I mean, some mate put two and two together.
Speaker 2: Well they did, and the trial ended up being absolutely huge, Like James and the Giant Peach. That's a very random way to put this trial. But sure people were obsessed with this case, like James was with the Peach, absolutely massive. For reference, Katie just hit her hand off off a dresser of a side table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's like one hundred years old of a hundred year old that antique off an antique, Katie just it's adad. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: People were obsessed with this case. It was a Victorian equivalent of a true crime documentary dropping on Netflix.
Speaker 1: One of the good ones. Yeah, the good ones, like you.
Speaker 2: Know, making a murderer, making murderers good. I love that, I said, like, you know, and then struggle to name crime documentary. It's a really good shape crime documentary.
Speaker 1: You just remember don't fuck with Cats. Oh, I haven't watched that one because I don't want to watch cats.
Speaker 2: Get that was the hard part of episode one, because.
Speaker 1: That was the hard part of the very beginning of this documentary. It's three episodes.
Speaker 2: If you can get through Luca Magnatta killing cats in three different ways, then you can get through.
Speaker 1: And they don't know.
Speaker 2: To be fair, they don't show. They don't show. They show the start of the video where they are very much alive, and then they don't show anything else on the documentary.
Speaker 1: I love that. I'm like, I'll don't show me the dead animals. No, yeah, like I love that.
Speaker 2: We're like. He then went on to kill a man and record it and put it online with an ice pick by the well with a screwdriver that he painted.
Speaker 1: Like an ice pick. What a choice.
Speaker 2: There's reasons behind. You have to watch it too, Okay, Like anyway, my point is there's this trial was a big deal at the time, was like people were flocking to this yeah, so yeah, but the jury ended up taking only seventy minutes to find Palmer guilty.
Speaker 1: That's about as fast as he played cough before seeing guilty.
Speaker 2: Did they just go into the room and go, what do you guys think?
Speaker 1: You know? Basically that as long as it took him to fill out the paper and get everything stamped, I.
Speaker 2: Know, honestly, seventeen minutes, an hour and ten minutes. Yeah, and they came back out and said guilty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they wanted to make it look like they were doing something. Delay went and then played a game of chess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They probably had a whole tournament in there. Yeah, and the time that.
Speaker 1: It took, but it was pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: I mean, the man did not help his case, and I'm glad he didn't, but he did not help his case. He was the most obvious poisoner in the world.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's just like, oh, did you check his stomachs for poison? By the way, he was like, oh, can I have his money?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I have the money? And by the way, he didn't check his stomach for poisons? Are you gonna you gotta check it?
Speaker 2: Though, Like I'm glad he was an idiot but yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, he got arrested. I would appreciate criminals continuing to be idiot, Yeah, so would I.
Speaker 2: But he was sentenced to hang, which was still obviously very big public entertainment at the time, and on June fourteenth, eighteen fifty six, outside of Stafford Prison in front of a crowd of thirty thousand onlookers.
Speaker 1: Right now, that's even a lot for Victorian times.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, the Victorians love the good public execution that we know did though, but this was unprecedented even for the prison. He was extremely hated for good reason, of course, but he was extra dreamely loathed.
Speaker 1: That is wild right, That's like stadium concert tout level crowds.
Speaker 2: Honestly, for anyone in Ireland, that's you know, half of Crook Park turning up to watch someone get hanged.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But this man, this man, like obviously in the two years from when he killed John Parson's cook, yeah, it all came out, Like he killed his children, he killed his wife. Yeah, all this came out and the children were honestly the driving factor to the hate, like the real hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, And so for his final act, because he had to go out with a bang, I guess.
Speaker 1: Oh, because they always have to, don't they They.
Speaker 2: Have to get their final words or something. But anyway, he stood on the gallows, looked out on the crowd, and he was asked to he have any final words, and he says, what does I am innocent? Sure, Jan, Yeah, he's so innocent. So the jury thirty thousand onlookers in the rope said otherwise, Oh that's nice. Yeah yeah, us off. So Katie, what do you think? What do you What have we learned today?
Speaker 1: Oh that if your doctor is really invested in your life insurance policy, you should run.
Speaker 2: That gambling debts and medical degrees are not a fantastic.
Speaker 1: Mix to have. Oh and if your murder victim literally starts shouting I am poisoned, you should probably start packing your bags.
Speaker 2: Wise words and DKT thanks for listening today and night should.
Speaker 1: And we will see you next day. Stay safe, stay skeptical, and if your doctor starts recommending your life insurance, maybe finding your doctor quickly.
Speaker 2: If you've made it to the end of this podcast, thanks you so much for listening today and night Shade, please like it.
Speaker 1: I guess written review of five styles if that's an option. If you don't want to give us five styles. You can just not do anything at all. Because we like the We like the compliments.
Speaker 2: We would appreciate compliments.
Speaker 1: That would be great. It'll be great, So don't forget to like share and of course subscribes you can find out another tale of an infamous poisoner from.
Speaker 2: History, maybe one even inspired by the one we just covered.
Speaker 1: Ah Intrigue, you've been listening to Day in Nightshade episodes written by j mc laughlin and Katie Charlewood.
Speaker 2: Theme music by Zachary Logan and Micah Salvanas.
Speaker 1: Podcast art work by Anna Farba.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening and remember as for arsenic