Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Jack Katie and he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 3: All of this comes as it is really unclear where diplomatic efforts to end this war now stand. Secretary of State Marco Rubio told lawmakers yesterday that a deal quote could happen today, it could happen tomorrow, it could happen next week, but he cautioned there's no guarantee that it would be acceptable to the Senate or the American people. And the President was asked in an interview about the weeks of whiplash and why he seems to be changing his stance on Iran so often, Trump saying, quote, it's just the way I am.
Speaker 2: That's a funny thing to say.
Speaker 4: Donald Jay was on the Miranda Divine podcast. We're going to play you a couple of clips of the heck up in a couple of minutes, including a minute or so including being asked about his alleged obscenity laced.
Speaker 2: Call with bb Net Yahoo. But she said, you're crazy.
Speaker 4: You'd be in jail if it wasn't for Mela, is there a rift between the two sides.
Speaker 5: And again pointing out that each president, like four or five presidents have had that relationship with BB Netanyahu and had that sort of conversation with him, so it's not unique. Yeah at times.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 4: The US and Iran exchanged heavy fire overnight after the US struck an empty oil tanker that it said was attempting to breach the blockade. That set off a string of attacks by both sides, with their on firing ballistic missiles at US bases and later launching drones that struck Kuwait's airport, leaving one person dead and temporarily suspending air traffic. But despite the heavy fire, US Central Command said Tuesday night that the tenuous ceasefire.
Speaker 2: Was still ongoing.
Speaker 5: Man, the fact that these other countries have held back is really something. Iraq has been hit. So seven, eight, nine different countries have been hit by Iranian rockets and missiles and have mostly held back. Yeah, yeah, mostly, although we are finding out the EUA has been much more active than was previously understood. Uh So that's what happened to most recently. Let's let's get to Miranda, Divine and Trump and see what they had to say.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Axios reported that you had a phone call with BB Netanya, who's the Prime Minister of Israel, in which you were angry with him. You said, are you effing crazy? What are you efing doing? I helped you stay out of jail. Is that true? Did you speak to him in those tides? Did I always say angry? I was a little bit perturbed at his uh constantly fighting with Lebanon.
Speaker 6: You know, at some point, as would be be, we got to step this, we gotta stap it. But I have a very good relationship with and well done well together. He always says we could never have done it, but everybody knows that we could have never done it without the United States.
Speaker 2: But we've I've worked very well together. I like bab a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a little troubled by that whole You're constantly fighting with Lebanon.
Speaker 2: He's fighting with Hespelaea, which is.
Speaker 4: An armed political party that Lebanon would pay whatever it took to get rid of if they possibly could. It's a long and complex story, but yeah, that was a little troubling. I don't know if he truly misunderstood it, or if he was just kind of shorthanding it next.
Speaker 1: Clip, And are your tactics where you say something and then change it and then do a piece deal and then break the seas.
Speaker 2: Fire or whatever?
Speaker 1: Is that all about trying to keep the Iranians off balance? Are you sort of messaging to them? No, because people at home sometimes I think you're anxious and confused.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 6: It's good if they're confused and the Iranians are confused.
Speaker 5: I don't think the people at home are paying attention, is what I think.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I'm looking up at TV NBC News leading the hour with it, but I don't think the average person is thinking much more than oh, it's still going on, gas is still expensive the end.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, scanning my memory banks to think about when anybody's brought it up to me in real life recently, I can't come up with anything well, and it still ends up being evening newscasts often like the fourth story after weather and a video of a guy getting knocked down by a deer, and you know whatever else they I do enjoy a good deer knocking down, and so let's move on to other fair since perhaps this is not fair that people care about it anyway, I did.
Speaker 2: Want to mention this.
Speaker 5: I watched a little Marco Rubio testifying before Congress yesterday, and they lean a lot on that whole we've destroyed the Iranian navy. You're overlooking that their navy is at the bottom of the sea. Ran no longer has a navy. And I didn't even think of it until some other pundit I like pointed it out. Whoever talked about the Iranian navy or was worried about the Iranian navy? How big a role in world politics was the Iranian navy. Uh So, it's a little bit of a headfake to me to keep bragging about we've sunked their navy.
Speaker 2: All right, they've.
Speaker 4: Got those those fast boats, those harassing boats.
Speaker 5: But yeah, issue, you didn't launch this saying we've got to do something about the Iranian navy and nobody's willing to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right right. Ah, So what you're about to hear is restraint. There's a lot of talk that Marco clearly now has the edge for twenty twenty eight. I hope so that Trump and company have had to arrange advents in easy with the social media. Stop doing that. They're getting a little annoyed with them. That's all I'm going to say. I'm going to move on. I find this so interesting. Ultra processed food is the new sitting, which was the new smoking apparently, or sitting around and eating ultra processed food is certainly the new like smoking two cigarettes at once of health.
Speaker 2: There is a new.
Speaker 5: Study sitting and smoking, yes, while eating a bag of doritos. Oh, you're as good as dead, practically committing suicide, right, yeah, just throw yourself off a cliff and save the rest of us the trouble. So I approach these studies with caution.
Speaker 4: Because in some questions of health, it's difficult to tease out one variable. As if you paid attention in high school science class, you know that's the scientific method. You can't introduce three variables and then guess at which one did want. And if you are a coke snorton, you know, motorcycle racer who eats ultra processed foods, and those people tend to die sooner, you can't tell me. Hip it's the ultra process foods, if you know what I mean. So I'll just get to the study. Eating a diet high in ultra processed foods is associated with a serious increased risk of dementia, according to new research, adding to the growing list of health problems linked to such packaged foods as packaged cookies, hot dogs, and chips, and I also mentioned bacon.
Speaker 2: I love hot dogs.
Speaker 5: Bacon, Yes, bacon, aw man, I.
Speaker 4: Can say bacon as many times as you like.
Speaker 2: It's a the least buddy.
Speaker 5: I don't put bacon in the same category normally. In my mind, is like a bag of Doritos ultra processed food.
Speaker 4: The study involved more than fifty three hundred US adults age fifty and older followed them for almost nine years on average.
Speaker 2: The researchers from.
Speaker 4: The HARVD tv Chan School of Public Health and other institutions aimed a home in on the impact of ultra processed foods by accounting for range of other factors that affect health, including education, income, smoking, physical activity, and alcohol use, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: These results to add to a body of scientific evidence linking diets high in ultra processed foods to health problems including obesity, cardiovascular disease, type two diabetes.
Speaker 2: And more.
Speaker 5: How about the bacon like they that they have at the butcher counter? You know, it's not in the plastic packaging. Is that different or is that the same thing? You know, they don't really drill down into bacon.
Speaker 4: I know, it's like smoked and cured and salted and whatever else. I've got to admit, I think of that very differently as you're saying that, say a pack of chips, oreos horrendous pizza puff thingy ye that you heat.
Speaker 2: But it's all lists matter.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to eat any I'm not going to eat one stick less of bacon the rest of my life because of this.
Speaker 2: So well, I even don't discuss it.
Speaker 4: But you'll forget you made that vow so you might stop eating bacon, So who knows?
Speaker 2: Who knows because of my dementia from eating processed food exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of self correcting in a bizarre and tragic way.
Speaker 2: So okay.
Speaker 4: They think one likely explanation for the link between ultra processed foods and dementia is that diets high income are associated with obesity, type two diabetes, and cardiovascular disease, and those illnesses raise the risk of dementia.
Speaker 2: So it's yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you could argue that I mean, because look, don't we all have our principles in general, but we have cheats.
Speaker 2: Sure, and your cheat is bacon.
Speaker 4: Fine, you're not gonna guzzle down pizza puffs, but by God, when you have an eggs, you're gonna have a little bacon. I can respect that. Michael lives deep in thought. What do you say about greens? We're talking about what gat How about what your dog eats? Put a little rough greens on top of their food. It's made in the United States. It's America's number one dog supplement. That's got lots of live probiotics, enzymes, omega oils, over twenty vitamins and minerals. You keep using the same dog food, you just sprinkle rough greens on top of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Again, as Jack said, it's America's number one dog supplement. There thousands and thousands of dogs around America feeling younger, more energetic, and healthier than ever before. More good days, more time together, and greater health later in life. I just lost a dog. I told you about it, and trust me, you want to keep your dog healthy as long as you can.
Speaker 2: And this is great.
Speaker 4: You can get a free jumpstart trial back today. You just cover the shipping.
Speaker 5: Doesn't cost anything to try. Go to Roughgreens dot com and use the discount code Armstrong. You just cover shipping. That's ruff Greens dot com.
Speaker 2: Use that disc code Armstrong.
Speaker 4: Roughgreens dot com use the code armstrong makes I'm sorry, Roughgreens makes any dog food better.
Speaker 2: Wolf.
Speaker 5: We've got a number of things we need to get to today, including a couple of stories around AI. They're dang dang interesting uh in the last twenty four hours. But Scott Pelly getting fired from sixty minutes just pompous ass hat. So anything bad happening in his life makes me somewhat happier.
Speaker 4: Because that sort of problem. Okay, I'll say it out loud. Tom Petty right here, I'm working with laz.
Speaker 2: This is terrible. What's that? What's that? Ready's petty? Oh, terrible petty. Yes, here's petty. You're Tom Petty. Okay, here's the pettiest petty. That's petty. Since Tom Petty, it's the same world. Terrible. Yeah, say I'm fired.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're fired, Scott.
Speaker 2: Nobody likes you. You want me to go more on that and other stuff all the way. Stay here.
Speaker 5: It's disappointing to find out that Scott Pelly if sixty Minutes has been fired. Oh I'm sorry, I'm all wrong. It wasn't disappointing. I was very happy about it because I found him insufferable. It's funny that the last interview that aired with Scott Pelley on sixty Minutes was the one he did with Ben Sass, Remember, and I liked that topic of stuff. Ben Sas said, but it came in the next morning on Monday and said, that was the most pompous Scott Pelly there's ever been.
Speaker 2: I mean that one was.
Speaker 5: That was him taking it to like an snl skit level of leaned back in his chair and that look on his face of smugness and wisdom and the glasses in his teeth. I mean, he is just such an act in his slow voice. But that matters to you, doesn't it. Mister Sas just oh God, nobody's ever been more pleased with themselves than Scott Pelly. And apparently he thought he could big time the new boss at sixty Minutes when they had that big meeting the other day and lecture him when he walked in the room and the boss said, all right, you're not gonna embarrass me in front of these people. It ain't gonna work. Enjoy the Bagels got up and left and then fired him. Twenty four hours later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, As the new executive producer was introducing himself and launching into look, I have so much respect for the show and all of you.
Speaker 2: This is going to be collaborative. I want your voices, Scott Pelly said, ah, I must interrupt.
Speaker 4: You're punk who's never done anything, and your boss has no qualifications either, and she's trying to murder.
Speaker 2: The show, and I hate all of you.
Speaker 4: Well, in spite of that, Bilton Nick Bilton reached out to Pelly and said, look, we got to get together and talk. And Pelly essentially said to me, I have nothing to say to you, and so they sk candmy, they.
Speaker 2: Poop candom well immediately.
Speaker 5: And what was the line he had in the meeting to the guy, I'm curious as to why you would come somewhere nobody wants you.
Speaker 2: Yes, f you, I would think, is the new boss.
Speaker 5: Pelly was making five million dollars a year just for the sixty minutes program. Back when he used to be the anchor, he was ten to fifteen million dollars a year is rumored, so he's made a lot of money in his life, so it could be just a in his defense, I guess, and I find him an an annoying human being, even though I'm a big sixty minutes fan. It could have been a just you know, I don't I'm not changing the way I do things, and if you think I am, you're wrong. And I got plenty of money. And he probably thinks other networks are just looking to grab him as quick as they can because he thinks the Scott Pelly brand is ratings gold.
Speaker 2: I think he's about to find out different on that, right right.
Speaker 4: In his subsequent note to Pelly built and called Pelly's behavior at Monday's meeting a performative display of hostility, which I think is a good line. And one of the I think was Sharon ALFONSI, you also got canned, said something absolutely hilarious, although it really does demonstrate and you know, I try to take, you know, not an attack attack, attacked posture all the time, because I've come to realize that bubbled people don't know that they're bubbled, and they have a completely different reality and you can't attack them out of it. You've got to help them understand how bubbled they are. But Sharon Alfonsi said something about how Barry Weiss is now interject political point of view into their reporting.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, And I thought, good lord, wow, you.
Speaker 4: Are in the middle of the forest and can't see the trees or something.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 5: It has been in my lifetime diminishing because all the media, entire media landscape has been changing rapidly as we all know. But it has been in my lifetime probably the most important news outlet in the world. I mean, it has broken so many stories or been the conversation piece of so many big stories the next Monday morning for all of our politics, like my whole adult life. And you know, they went out of their way to try to ruin it. Unfortunately, I still thought it was really good.
Speaker 2: Often.
Speaker 5: Mark Alpern writing, and Mark Alpern has really been in the news business because his dad was big in government and he's been in the news business his whole life. He wrote, it's impossible to overstate the arrogance of those who have worked for sixty minutes over the years, even as the program's bias and reduced quality have been on vivid display. He also said there are a lot more beats to play out on this story, including how the rest of the program staff decides to play things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody, I suppose could rebold right right sure.
Speaker 4: A final note on this, Nick Bilton's dismissal letter to Scott Pelly was remarkably gentlemanly and emphasized again that he says, I've devoted my career to While I'm new to Sixty Minutes, I've devoted my career to investigative journalism and storytelling. I started this job excited to collaborate and benefit from the wisdom and experience of the Sixty Minutes veterans, with you among them. For that reason, one of the first things I did in my new role was to call you and invite you to dinner. He got the middle finger every single time they hold the meeting. Yesterday, you hijacked my first meeting with staff to disparage me, my qualifications, and my intentions with remarkable incivility and contempt. I welcome a diversity viewpoints and respectful debate among the team, but this was nothing of the sort. Yesterday's performative display of hostility and acted in front of the staff instead of in a civil private conversation, demonstrating that you have no interest in contributing to the future success of the show, et cetera, et cetera. Uh, and then he says, I therefore write on behalf of CBS News Ink to inform you that your employment with CBS is terminated for cause, effective immediately and closed as your formal termination letter.
Speaker 5: Why wouldn't Scott Pelly, as the biggest deal at the biggest news program left in television news, why wouldn't he let it play out, like get to a point of tension on some story where he thinks, no, I think this should be left in, and Barry Weiss or whoever's you know under her says, I think it should be taken out and then maybe make a stand over that that you could support, perhaps publicly say they didn't want me to tell you this. Why wouldn't you do that as opposed to do the whole big time him at the meaning thing. Well, he says, you're a day.
Speaker 4: The changes are entirely to curry favor with the Trump administration, and they're throwing sixty minutes away. Yeah, man, evidence instructed me to inject falsehoods and bias into a politically sensitive story.
Speaker 2: Give us some example of that.
Speaker 4: Scott Pelly, Well, he considers any perspective to the right of Bernie Sanders to be injecting politics.
Speaker 5: I still think it'd be to his benefit to give specifics.
Speaker 2: To Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 7: The New York Knicks are going to the NBA Finals for the first time in twenty seven years, and I think I can speak for the whole city when I say it's so gratifying to finally see something go well for Timothy Shalloman.
Speaker 5: Yeah, speaking of Witch, they say this is going to be the most expensive ticket in New York history. Now, of course there's always adjusting for inflation, but it might be just true, flat out. If there's a Game six, which would be at home in New York, they expect those seats, the Tim Schalloway seats to be a seven figures Wait a minute, a million, No, oh, million dollars at least for a seat, even if you're even if you're Tim shallow May, John Stewart, Chris rock Rich do you drop a million dollars for a Game six, sixth next seat?
Speaker 1: I don't care if.
Speaker 2: I'm Elon musk rich Well, and I would.
Speaker 5: I've said this many times over the years. I would love to know how that whole thing works. I don't know if they if that's the way that works anyway, or if the Knick's organization, or the or the network, or there's all kinds of people that benefit from those celebrities being there rather than anonymous businessmen who might be as rich as Timothy shallow May but you've never heard of them.
Speaker 2: You don't want those guys in the front row. No, No, some guy in shipping.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that doesn't make you more money or or make it more exciting anyways. Watching some New York media this morning, but you know media I was watching this morning because it's all practically all New York, uh, and them talking about how it's the most sports excitement in that city in many decades, partially because he got Yankees, man, you got Giants, Jets. There's only one really NBA basketball team that anybody pays attention to, and that the city's just on fire for this whole thing. So it's going to be highly annoying. And I just can't wait for Wendy to go in there and drag them around the court in Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm hoping happens.
Speaker 4: Wow, very vengeful again, Petty again, Michael, You notice that a theme is emerging. Other people's pain is Jack's joy, schadenfreude, New York Media's pain.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely my joy. Million dollars for a seat, we'll see.
Speaker 4: I'm an NHL guy. I've been watching the Stanley Club Cup playoffs, including the finals, in which my beloved Carolina Hurricanes I've been like the biggest fan of the world for maybe a year.
Speaker 2: Lost to the Las Vegas Golden Knights.
Speaker 4: Vegas what hockey Golden Knights, their logos and embarrassment.
Speaker 2: It's terrible.
Speaker 5: I didn't know either one of those teams existed. I've heard the informed that the the Hurricane go ahead. I've heard of the Canadian teams. I've heard of all these American teams. Have you heard of the Chicago Blackhawks. I haven't heard of the league for some time.
Speaker 4: Yes, Speaking of which, I heard on the telecast last night that the the Carolina Hurricanes the last one the Stanley Cup in two thousand and six, and I'm like, wait a minute, there's been a Carolina hockey team for.
Speaker 2: Twenty I couldn't have told you that, And they won the Stanley cup. Well, it's insane getting old anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So late in the show, we had the breaking news that Donald Trump signed an executive order around ai an a O, around a an EO, around ao AI.
Speaker 2: I can't do it. Why do you even try?
Speaker 5: I don't know why I try. It's a test of my brain and I fail every single time. Anyway, executive order about artifical.
Speaker 4: You got to take that test where you got banana, elephant train, school bus train, right.
Speaker 2: I passed it. I scored. They never said I'm not sure I would pass it.
Speaker 5: And it's it's a much watered down version of something they had proposed like six eight weeks ago, but it's still the federal gulp saying yeah, you do some big advancement in your whole AI thing. You got to run it by us first, and we take a look at it and see if we think it's okay.
Speaker 2: Which is one very very vague.
Speaker 5: In two, who's gonna decide who in the federal government is gonna look at what Sam Altman, Elon musk Emodi or or you know those people came up with and say I like it, good job, or no, I don't tweak this over here?
Speaker 2: And then it will be ex exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's almost hilarious, and it's it's statutorily it's just what are you even?
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 4: What are you doing? So you got to run new AI systems past the White House? That's not a thing.
Speaker 5: As the kids say, well, right, and as as I said yesterday, there's like eight people in the world that understand how this stuff works, and they ain't in the federal government.
Speaker 2: And they only kind of understand it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're kind of guessing, not kind of very much guessing themselves. So who knows where that leads?
Speaker 2: I thought.
Speaker 5: Neil Ferguson's piece out today AI is the most dangerous arms race in history is pretty interesting. The unfolding history of artificial intelligence has now arrived at what may be its most dangerous moment.
Speaker 4: Writes mister Ferguson, the historian. We may be charming Scottish accent.
Speaker 5: We may be hurtling toward the most dangerous arms race in history, and we're doing so when the leadership of the competitors in this race is, to say the least, of mixed quality. The chief executives of the most important companies include at least one with a record of duplicity. Is he talking about Altman? Probably scam Altman and at least two egomaniacs.
Speaker 2: That would be at least two.
Speaker 5: I think there's more than that, but that's probably Elon And are you emotive?
Speaker 2: Probably? I don't know if.
Speaker 5: You could be one of the giants of AI without being an egomaniac. So the Google guy bitch Eye, I don't know, or or Zuckerberg, like I said, I'm not sure you could be one of these people without being an egomaniac. So I don't see that as much of a slam. Meanwhile, the President of the United States is a former real estate developer and really reality TV star, roughly half of whose public utterances are mere bluffs. And the leader of the People's Republic of China is a Marxist Leninist who aspires to eclipse Mau as a dictator. That is all true, and usually I don't like the shots at Trump for being a reality TV star or whatever, but he's no expert in AI, and practically nobody is, as I've already said, So.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting moment.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, the most dangerous arms race in human history. As we're chatting about last hour it's partly because it's such a squishy, ever changing thing to get your arms around. People could comprehend a terrible new bomb that would cause more destruction than any previous bomb has. You can come to that, But we don't even know what it's going to be, what it will control, as you pointed out, how many people it will put out of work, what sort of political unrest that will cause, what sort of economic shocks around the globe.
Speaker 2: Nobody even knows what it.
Speaker 5: Is, right, and there's no agreement among the smartest people. I watch all the YouTube videos and listen to the podcasts and read this stuff written by the smartest people about this stuff in the world, and they are not in agreement at all as to when this is happening or how big a deal it is. But I can lay out what worst case scenario is that AI begins to learn on its own and decides to take over the world or a country. Now, if you believe that the Communist Chinese Party can take over a country which it has and run a surveillance state to keep people in line, it's not a leap to think that an AI could do that, Right, Why could the Chinese Communist Party run by you know, a fairly small number of people not as smart as AI. Why could they take over a whole country and run it and keep people in line and keep power but AI couldn't. There's no reason to think that, or certainly the one obvious inevitable is that people will use AI to accomplish the same thing, and both are horrifying outcomes. Interestingly enough, New York Times had a story the other day about how China is now using AI to predict who might be a threat to the Communist Party in the future.
Speaker 4: They can now recognize the kernels of unrevolutionary thought well among young people or young professionals, and think, all right, put him on the list, which he said, He said it made a wise ass comment about whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which might be accurate or might not be accurate at all, But it doesn't matter to them. They're still going to drag you out of your home and put you in a prison.
Speaker 4: No, there's no cost to dragging you out of your home and been killing you or putting you in a prison, because they've got complete control.
Speaker 2: Some of the experts, and again, they're all guessing.
Speaker 5: Every single one of them from elon down is absolutely guessing.
Speaker 2: On this stuff.
Speaker 5: But some of the guessing by the experts is that China is way more afraid of this than we are. That if you're a totalitarian state, you're more feel more threatened by AI somehow.
Speaker 2: Taking your place than an open democracy.
Speaker 4: Well, my final thought on this, then i'll give you the last word, is that what Bill O'Reilly used to say, Yep, I'll give you the.
Speaker 2: Last word right before body language segment.
Speaker 4: My last word is a reminder that I read you a bit of a note from Alert listener Paolo yesterday, who said, look, all this stuff is true, but there's no opting out correct. Trying to restrict the growth of human knowledge and technology through history is it's laughable.
Speaker 2: I hope this doesn't happen.
Speaker 5: And depending on who you ask, it's like a twenty percent chance of it happening or a seventy five percent chance of happening, which either one of those is way too high that in the next couple of years, the world wakes up one day and realizes AI is doing its own thing now, and we're just gonna have to sit back and watch because we have no ability to stop it or control it in any way.
Speaker 2: It is it is hijacked its own servers. It is gotten.
Speaker 5: It's gotten, It's come up with a way to get its own electrical.
Speaker 2: Power as much as it needs.
Speaker 5: It's just doing everything on its own and the world is just going to watch and see what it decides to do. That is a absolutely on the table as a possibility, like.
Speaker 2: Within a couple of years.
Speaker 4: This doesn't count as me violating my last word thing because that was really intriguing.
Speaker 2: That's opened up a new area of discussion.
Speaker 4: Will there be towns, counties, states, countries that say that finally do what I been begging them to do. They'll unplug the Internet. They will go retro techno retro to the point that nothing's connected to the Internet.
Speaker 2: There's no AI.
Speaker 4: They will become like the semi whatever you know, pre AI, however you want to describe it.
Speaker 5: So the only way to out of self defense, right, and so the only way to take that over would be to actually storm the beaches with robots on boats or.
Speaker 2: Bomb them or something.
Speaker 4: And if and this is the stuff of science fiction, I wish I was ambitious and brilliant enough to write it because I'm so intrigued by the idea. But if, if you know, the United States of wherever declares that, look, we're just we're out. We're going to go back to the old ways. We're of no threat to AI Antonia. Okay, we we we we We're just going to do our own thing over here.
Speaker 2: Let's coexist.
Speaker 4: Would AI say no, that's not compatible with our brilliant AI world plan. Can't have dissenters like that. Sorry, we got to snow. Who knows.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's any chance of no, not at all. Do you think there's any.
Speaker 5: Chance of coming up with some sort of arms agreement like we did with the Soviet Union, which a lot of people didn't think that'd be possible, where we both recognized, look, we don't either one of us really want to blow up the world. So how about we come up with some agreement like you know Reagan and Gorbachev did, limiting the number or you know, allowing some communication back and forth, something like that, where we and China both said, look, you're more afraid of it than we are, and we're afraid of it. So let's how about let's agree AI is only allowed to work on medical stuff or this or that, there's not going to be any just let it go out there artificial general intelligence.
Speaker 2: Is there any chance of coming up with guidelines.
Speaker 4: Like that, Yes, there absolutely is, but it's a little more complicated because of the difficulty of verifying compliance.
Speaker 2: We're talking about people tiptapping.
Speaker 4: Away on a keyboard somewhere that might say yeah, right, right, the beast, and then it might be unleashed in ways that people don't even recognize for days, weeks, years, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Plus I limited it to the United States and China, like the United States and the Soviet Union, which you could do it with nuclear weapons, because some super smart guy living in rural Alabama was not gonna build a nuclear arsenal. But some super smart guy living in Alabama could use AI just as much as a Chinese could. So right, that is the difference. Okay, I'm back to We're Doomed.
Speaker 4: Next segment a follow up believe it or not, on the Scott Pelley firing thing, I'm going to rope Thomas soel In and Ben's sass also Alabama redistricting, all in one delicious stew of enttormation.
Speaker 5: I promised to stop talking about it after one more thirty second comment. Go ahead, it's good it's so possible that in our lifetimes we're all having the conversation.
Speaker 2: Of why did we let this happen?
Speaker 5: Around AI? I mean, it's just so up ended the world that just like everybody on the planet is saying, how in the hell did human beings allow this to happen?
Speaker 4: And then the Joe Keetties of the conversation would say, well, there is no stop in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how are we going to stop it? Oh? We could have passed regulations? What about China?
Speaker 4: And then I'll go back to skinning the squirrel that I successfully speared to eat from a dinner because all of the world's financial institutions, all the digital ones have been emptied of their cash.
Speaker 5: Just waiting for an AI robot to come anesthetize you and.
Speaker 2: Harvest your organs.
Speaker 4: Trying to catch a cockroach to get a few calories.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, what a tap of a shy? Exactly the question what the world will be saying. It's like when Hovil yelled up to the sky. The whole world will be saying, what a tap of aya shity? All right? More, all the ways there.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty tell me to put my phone down and stop doom scrolling. You're doom scrolling right now, aren't you? And what were you supposed to be doing?
Speaker 5: Anyway?
Speaker 2: Let me guess something productive and you were going to do it? To get right to it? What is said? You said? Just let me look on my phone.
Speaker 1: There's born And then they turned to two minutes, two minutes, turnt to forty forty minutes, turnt to sixty sixty minutes, turn.
Speaker 2: Out, stop, tells? What's out your flow? What's out your flow? Down? If you play? And tell you you just want to shield so you won't retend your mus that round but you can't. But last of the drying, he went, okay, that's a fashion. Second, that's a califight. I right up right, it's ours.
Speaker 3: This I was a lot on my life, losing your foul past your time to drive?
Speaker 2: Don't you work? Don't you want to start? Don't you want to go.
Speaker 6: Out to play?
Speaker 2: Bottot do stop down slow? What's outre foul? Puts down? Ja fowl dough You got this.
Speaker 5: Latest worldwide numbers out just came out. I heard them talking about a non PR, so I looked it up. Today gen Z millennials lead the pack and staring at their phone. This is mindlessly scrolling. They're not counting the amount of time you like, are doing something like specific mindlessly scrolling four and a half to five hours.
Speaker 2: A day for gen z and millennials, just mining for that dopamine hit.
Speaker 5: For just average people, if you add up the hours per day and then hours per week, you come up with thirty full days per year, thirty full twenty four hour days, an entire month of your waking and sleeping time just looking at your phone, just scrolling for something interesting because you're so bored with your own thoughts, I guess, or looking at the sky or your kids, or you're so.
Speaker 4: Addicted to the the next thing might be great. The next thing might be great. Dopamine hit. It's all about that. Yeah, it's all about that. We're all crack monkeys in a lab. So I'll follow up on the Scott Pelly discussion, which if you missed it, God bless you, you've missed it forever. Nope, you can subscribe to our podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand and get it. Scott Pelly and Sharon el Ponsi's griping about how they're now injecting politics into sixty minutes is a great example one of several of one of my favorite Thomas soilisms, which you pointed out. When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination and they're so bubbled injecting a little centrism or a little you know, the other side of the aisle actually has a counter argument. Maybe we got to include that. Seems like injecting policies. Yeah, that's a truism, that thing right there. I don't know if that's what's happening here, though. I think they they think they're hitting it down the middle.
Speaker 2: I think they actually think that.
Speaker 4: Well, no, that's it precisely what Thomas Soel meant. When you get used to one side or preferential treatment, correcting it seems like an outrage because you're used to that.
Speaker 2: It's like putting other examples, but no time, it's like putting.
Speaker 5: The porno books in the library and then when we try to get them out book banning.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Alabama's are redistricting now. They used to be perverting the Voting Rights Act to make sure there's a black two black districts. We've got to have two black districts. Then the Supreme Court said no, we don't. That's not the law of the land, but it seems like discrimination.
Speaker 2: Now we're only halfway done.
Speaker 5: If you miss the segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty undemanned Armstrong and Getty