Speaker 1: What's going on y'all? This is Vic Mensa and I'm on a bootleg cav podcast.
Speaker 2: Bootleg CAB podcast special guests in here, my guy. His new album is coming out September fifteenth. I can't even believe that this is only your second album full length, yeah, which is crazy, because Jesus, it's been a long journey, man, Vic Mensis here.
Speaker 1: Peace, peace, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir man, it is kind of crazy to think, like, I know you just did like the internet tape in its entirety with chance.
Speaker 1: Was it two shows you did? Second show is in la or September twenty.
Speaker 2: One, Okay, so that's still coming. How many years ago is that? Ten years now?
Speaker 1: It was ten years this year, crazy, September thirtieth will be the ten year. How are you feeling right now? Though?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: You've had feeling good, Man, feeling good. I'm feeling super blessed. Man. It's just grateful, inspired, motivated, a lot of clarity focused. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You've had one of the more interesting journeys in rap. You've been obviously you know, a part of an amazing group that I feel like kind of kicked down the doors of a lot of what you know, that early Chicago wave that you and Chance were a part of. Shot the kids these days fast forward.
Speaker 1: Because it was on tour with Asher Roth. Was that when I first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I first met you, you guys came in freestyle at the radio.
Speaker 1: It was that Phoenix. That was the middle of the night too. It's like after after the show, Yeah, Phoenix, we was mobbed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who else was there was a Chuck English?
Speaker 1: Chuck English was there too? Maybe Buddy, I old Buddy was on the tour, but from l A, Yeah, Buddy dude, I don't know if he was.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know about him back then. So that's crazy because I.
Speaker 1: Come to think of it like he was definitely with us, and I don't think I all the way put it together later down the line, when I reconnected with Buddy in the studio with Pharrell, you know, because he was signing for real for sometime and but I had first gotten a normal tour with Asher, he was just like, you know, they're crazy young homie, know, I mean always smoking and crip walking.
Speaker 2: I think was that the Paps and Jazz tour?
Speaker 1: That was Paps and Jazz shout to shout out to Asher Roth, that's my boy, man.
Speaker 2: Great guy. But you just had such a crazy journey, man. I mean, you know, obviously to only have like you have to meet classic bodies of work, but to like actually think, like damn, you really only have two full length albums, like this is your second one coming out on the fifteenth. Why Victor?
Speaker 1: And why why now? I called it Victor because it's a very personal album and I think it represents me, like as a human being, and that's that's me before nicknames, you know what I'm saying. And I had a revelation about my name when I was doing Mushrooms in the Woods Amazing, always a great time. You know. I took my moms to do Mushrooms in the Woods Amazing recently. That was fire nice. And I had a revelation about my name just in that, Like I realized, man, it's so much in a name, and oftentimes the names that were given almost predict the lives that we lead. You know. I was named Victor in honor of my most famous ancestor on my father's side. My father's from Ghana. My entire family lives over there, and the most famous ancestor in his lineage. His name brotem Noma from you know, many centuries ago, and he fought against British invasion into Africa. And I was named victor in honor of his victories. And I was sitting there in the woods and I'm just thinking about it, and I was realizing, man like, he fought for freedom all those hundreds of years ago and I was just named that and fast forward here I am like freeing people from prison and helping get people off death row. And it was almost like just a revelation that this path was laid out for me. And I think even in reflecting upon the ups and downs, the struggles, the fight, you know what I mean, just a sense of perseverance is that like I'm programmed to win. I'm programmed to live through things because I am victor. I'm the victor, you know what I'm saying. But to be the victor, you have to have a fight.
Speaker 2: You got to have a fight to win, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You have to have a fight to win. And I would characterize, you know, my time in music and the music industry much in that way, you know what I mean? It has been a battle. I think our first battle though, as human beings is with ourselfs, you know, so eight and coming into music, predating me meeting Bootleg keV when I was a teenager, you know, that battle with myself on that tour. I was seventeen. Jesus Christ. I have more of a beer than than that.
Speaker 2: Sure, a lot more hairy, scruffy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for real, I don't think I've changed my clothes that whole tour like crazy. It's on YouTube watching, yeah, you know, predating all those things that battle with self existed, and I think coming into music, I say that whatever you got going on is just going to be magnified, you know what I'm saying. So the talent, the genius, the charisma, the creativity magnified. Also the insecurities, you know, the depression, the addiction, like the addictive personality, all those things, it's just magnified. And coming in to this industry that is so doggy dog chew you up and spit you out. For sure, I think everything was just everything was just magnified. So it's really been a fight. But I named the album that because the album is like really a story of redemption and me expressing a lot of gratitude for being able to live through that fight because a lot of young rappers don't get that chance.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, did you have like because I feel like so not just artists, but specifically artists because you guys are under a lot of public scrutiny. But did you because you're You're so much more than an artist, right, And sometimes fans will just look at you through like the music lens as opposed to like who you are as a human being? Right? And I think a lot of us get so wrapped up and associating our identity with our refreession.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And there's some people are like, well, what are you if your profession goes away? What are you if radio goes away? What are you if hip hop goes away? Did you have like a hard time getting because you had a lot of eyes on you in terms of like the you know what I'm saying, Kanye Co signs the Rockefeller shit that you know, was there a point in time where you like kind of came to like, yo, I got to kind of like remember who I am and separate who vic Men's is and what who like hip hop sies me as and who I am as like a human being?
Speaker 1: You know, what I'm saying, I think that's a constant thing is to recognize that my identity as a human being and as like a spiritual being is not the same as my Instagram right, right, right, right right. I'm saying, like, this thing does not represent me in totality, and I think that our propensity as people that live in a public eye can be to place all weight in that. But type of music I make and the art I create that I strive to create isn't something that's based on fame or clout or money or you know, anything like that. That's never been my north star. I mean, that's never been why I started to do this. I think oftentimes in today's hip hop, especially like it's a means to an end, you know what I mean, people are like, man, I wanted to do this because I saw they was rich. I wanted to get rich, right, you know, which is great, But that was never and has never been my mo That was never why I started doing this. You know, I was inspired to do this because the way Common talked on records spoke to me. It gave me perspective about myself, you know, I mean, the way Tupac talked on record helped me through tough shit, you know, as a child and as a man, and those are the reasons why I started to do this. So getting in that position, you know, to be there with the people that I idolized coming into this. Although that's amazing and that's like a dream come true, that's still not the main reason why I ever did this. But you could get caught up in that though. I was out of a convo with no Idea the other day. Man, you know, he was like, He's like, yeah, you got tossed into the motherfucking like the whirlwind. No, you know what I mean, jay Z Beyonce in the mix of that. But like I said, it's like you still got that magnifying glass on everything that was there before, you know. So something I've been exploring in this album and speaking about a lot is the power of my words and the power of my thoughts, you know what I'm saying. And from the time when I was five years old, I found a notebook that was full of suicidal writings, you know from me that you wrote that I wrote when I was five years old, And so I kind of always had a certain programming towards depression, and you know, those things will inevitably, if allowed to fester, come to pass, you know. So at the same time as I always wanted to be great, you know, I always was feeding this voice in my head that wanted to destroy me at the same time. So even though I achieved greatness, I still had no sense of how to calm down that innate urge for self destruction that was in there, you know. So I could be, you know, on a tour with jay Z, you know what I mean, in front of thirty thousand people a night, and still be like depressed, you know what I mean, and not living in the moment, not living in the moment, not knowing how right, and being like I never even thought it was possible to impact act those thoughts, you know what I'm saying. So a lot of the things I think that people might have seen, you know, and the behaviors that what happening simultaneously, that was just the manifestation of that other side of my brain, that voice in my head. I think a lot of people experience, like, man, you don't deserve this, you know what I mean, you might you're not worth it. In imposter syndrome, that's a real thing. You could be really who you think you are, have a voice in your head telling you that you don't deserve to be here real, you know what I mean? And I was experiencing that shit constantly, So I think in many ways I had to experience the culmination of all of that and all the controversy and the drama and you know, being ostracized and outcasted to really get the moment to reflect and understand like, okay, so here I am. I have been blessed immensely in that I ain't have to die behind this, you know. So now let me reapproach this with intention. Let me not just let my mind say whatever it want to say all day long and be beefing with this person and outwardly expressing whatever frustration I'm feeling internally through all these other things, because it ain't about that, you know what I mean. Man, About that policeman get up today shoot a nigga with his hand in his hoodie. Man, he probably having a bad day in his own you know what I mean. But he's finding someone else that he might perceive as being the problem to express whatever problems he has going on with himself.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like a lot of your conflicts were similar in terms of you kind of dealing with whatever you were going through by maybe lashing out at certain individuals or think.
Speaker 1: I think it was always complex, you know. I think I've been dealing with a lot since I was a child identified that I've also been very politically minded, for sure, and I've also stood on what I believe in, and the combination of those created a lot of conflicts. I mean, if you look back at all these different conflicts, ninety percent of the time, controversies, whatever it is, they were rooted in some principle. You know that I felt I was standing on that most oftentimes, if you were to write it down would be something that people would agree with, they'd be like, yeah, but if you just write down the issue and the stance the position.
Speaker 2: I remember, I remember very vividly, like when X was alive, I kind of remember why you took the stance you took, And I wasn't mad at it because I think it was like because some of the allegations that he had against him, And I was like, I mean, I get it, you know what I'm saying. But I think in retrospect, obviously, you know, not every battle is your battle and.
Speaker 1: This is what I came to learn, really, and what I came to understand is that like, not all truths need to be told all the time, and the judgment is for god, you know what I mean. But I don't think I've recognized and through that situation was able to learn was that judge not lest you be judged, condemned, not less you be condemned. You know, point a finger, you got three fingers pointing back at you. And also your message is sometimes less important than your delivery. My message was so often lost in my delivery delivery because I'm coming from a brash, like Chicago perspective when I'm like, I don't give a fuck the ship true, you know what I mean, tell me it ain't true.
Speaker 2: Or you also force people at that point. I feel like there was some certain pointance in times when you kind of like force people to kind of whether it's fans, people to kind of just choose sides.
Speaker 1: And that's tough for people, you know what I'm saying. And it's also it it's also like eventually all the bickering and beef and whatever it's about a lot of a lot of it would boil down to you see two fools arguing from a distance. Kid, tell who is who? Right? You know what I mean? And if I'm just getting into it with this person and this person funs with them, so now they're into it with me, and I'm into it with them. Now I'm in It's like now, it just adds up that people just think I'm combative. I would come down sometimes and sit down in the interview and I'll be me and you know me, I'm kind, I'm cool, I'm funny, I'm nice, and people be like, man, I'm so surprised. How cool you all thought. I just want to come in here and try to punch somebody in the face. And I'm like, okay, I need to change my behavior because people are mis understanding.
Speaker 2: People are gonna get They're gonna they're gonna create the narratives that, you know, from whatever information they have that's out there, and not not enough.
Speaker 1: People are and the thing is too headlines.
Speaker 2: That's how they come up with their narratives. They see the headlines and they're.
Speaker 1: Like this, talk me a lot. You know, people don't research. There's so much information out there, you know what I mean, There's so many things that we're being bombarded with constantly that It's like people ain't going to check sources and see what was really said. They're seeing a headline, maybe a couple images, and they're like, cool, Okay, I guess person is associated with that word, that action, whatever it is. You know, move on, Oh, I see it again. This person is now associated with that one.
Speaker 2: I see it happening so much, especially nowadays, it's like it's just crazy, Like when it comes to politics, when it comes to artists, it's like people just have their mind made up over whatever blips they see on their algorithm.
Speaker 1: On ignapshot. Just the headline, that's what That's what most people use to formulate their opinions. And so I think it's like, you know, gotta be intentional at this point in time, Like how do I make all my interactions to the best my ability represent me as a human being in totality, right, you know what I'm saying? And how do I stand for the things I believe in without having a stand against everyone, you know what I mean? Like it's not really necessary for sure.
Speaker 2: I think it's crazy too because just from like a fans perspective, being like such a big fan of you early and chance really early, like to see you guys reconcile after all those years where I just feel like they were like years lost of like of like peak like greatness, you know what I'm saying. And it was just dope to see you guys. You doing internet tape, He's doing acid rap.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think you guys are both so important to Chicago until a lot of these kids in the last decades. So for you, was it like a for you guys to kind of put whatever issues you had behind you and move forward with positivity and you know, I mean kind of pick up where you guys left off, because you guys kind of came into this shit like literally he.
Speaker 1: Definitely did before the shit even you know what I mean, like age fourteen. You know what I'm saying, before rap was anything more than a dream. And I think like when he came to visit me in Ghana and you know, we started to build this festival and really just that moment in Africa, like that return. I think that really just helped to solidify cement our relationship, our friendship as men, you know what I mean, Like the things that we went through ups and downs as boys, you know what I meaning? Like just that happens. Brothers fight, you know what I'm saying, And don't let you get rich and famous and be super young, you know what I mean. Like that's that could be a recipe for disaster.
Speaker 2: And to be fair, both of you guys had kind of like meteoric quick rises in terms of like from being like kind of like mixtape underground blog darlings to being like what the fuck, like You're you're with Rockefeller or you're with rock Nation and he's you know, I mean, acid just kind of changed things. Yeah, it just got got crazy quick with both of your guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shit got crazy real quick, you know what I'm saying. And I really can't stress enough though, like how much of a blessing it is to be able to learn from those things and grow from them. Man, Like that's something I speak about a lot in this album. It was like two years ago, I believe Juice World Day, and I was in the studio with Bongo Bongo by the way, he's the executive producer of this album, and we're in La but I'm looking at social media things of Juice World Day and I was just overtaken by a sense of gratitude because I'm looking at them, considering the factors that led into that situation, and just realizing that a lot of young artists don't get the chance to evolve, to evolve and learn, you know what I mean, And we're all oftentimes so caught up in the romanticize and the drugs, and you know.
Speaker 2: Like we never got to see the juice real, like he didn't even have chance to mature, and like we like he was a kid, people forget like he's like, actually.
Speaker 1: Really what happens with so many artists though, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's like like even X, like we didn't we don't sex have that, you know, because I feel like he was moving a lot of positivity before he died, you know, and I was like, damn, we didn't even get to really see his like legacy play out, like him really growing up, and and like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like it's really a blessing. It's just a blessing. Like I can't overstate that, because a lot of young artists don't get that chance to like stumble, fall and get up and learn from it, you know what I'm saying. And it's almost like being a hip hop artist is like an endangered species sometimes, like being a young rapper. You know already, being a young black man is a target on your back. Being a young rapper is magnified tenfold. And you know, all I could all I could really do is really try to express the lessons that I've learned through all of the tumultuous time.
Speaker 2: And you were literally throwing in the in the world right.
Speaker 1: In the mix, you know. But it's a big blessing though, you know what I mean. Even starting this album, Like beginning this album is when I've really turned things around mentally, you know what I mean, Like cut out all the drink and all the drugs everything, like went sober, just got focused layers of focus to a point where I feel like I've been clearing my spirit out and transforming my energy. So I really feel I feel limitless. I feel like I've been gifted to achieve magnanimous things at a very young age, and now I'm gifted once again to take it first further, you know what I mean, take it further with intention and from a from a place of clarity and focus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think I think you can, Like have you ever reached out to any of these young artists and just like, hey, I see what you're doing, like you know, or maybe try to give them some advice because you've, like you said, you've kind of been You've you've you've had to live through what it's like to be like thrown in the middle of this machine that is the music industry. It'll eat you up, it'll spit you out, and it'll you know, it'll stop answering your calls, you know what I'm saying, Like, if you see somebody making mistakes, whether there's somebody close to you or like, do you reach out, do you try to give them any advice? Or is it really not your place?
Speaker 1: You feel? Like? You know, I think I just try to lead by example and let my actions speak for me at this point in time, you know, And if I can inspire or influence somebody with something I'll say on a podcast with Bootleg Cab or something I say on a record of just something that they see me. Do you know Vic Mensa does this for the homeless in Chicago or you know xyz Freeze somebody from prison. I'm like, man, let let me let my actions, you know, speak for themselves, because in the midst of in the midst of so many things that we've discussed. It's also like just this mountain of positive impacts I've left on the planet, which was has always been the conflicting thing that I had to realize, Like you can't have it both ways, Like you can't have it constantly in beef and drama and getting locked up for this and still be giving away a million point five dollars worth of shoes in the trenches in Chicago, sleeping underneath the viaduct in the dead of winter to raise money for the homeless build and water facilities in Africa. I mean, like I let those things speak for themselves. But it's not a lot of people in the history of hip hop that have at this stage like had the level of impact on people in a humanitarian sense and that I have.
Speaker 2: Also, that's not the ship that for whatever reason, will get that's not viral. It's not going viral, bro.
Speaker 1: But that's the human nature though, is like sit and turn on news right now, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: There's nothing positive on the.
Speaker 1: There's nothing about because bad news travels fast. It's all de vice. People shot here to people overdosed on and all. You know, Ukraine is being bombed because bad news travels fast, and we're in a culture and a moment in society that prioritizes sensationalism because it's all about the Internet, you know, and it's all about impressions, engagement, likes, comments, and you get a lot more likes and comments on arguments, controversies and thing and fear than you do on like love.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of like our whole news consumption cycle is like it's just fear driven, like just like what do we got? What are we gonna be scared about today? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: For Really, it's all feel mongling.
Speaker 2: Like even COVID showed us that more than anything, because like we were all just like watching like at home, just watching CNN, and they would just have like the death numbers just it's like a ticker at the bottom, like it was an NBA score or something. I don't think we really realized like damn, like that like like that was a really I was like fucking freaked out to go outside, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like, And you know.
Speaker 2: A lot of us got it and survived, a lot of us passed away. I had COVID like twice. At least I might've had it twice too. You know, I had COVID before we even knew what COVID was. I know, I had a lot of homies who were like right around December.
Speaker 1: January, December, they were up. I was in bed for like days. I just it was like a fever dream. I just remember like rolling around in bed for days, you know, didn't even get up to eat. Yeah, no, for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, we got to stop the interview real quick. Tell you about our folks at my Bookie, our partners at my Bookie.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Listen, football season is approaching. It is preseason right now. I can feel it. Just have my first fantasy draft. It's time to get this fucking money. NFL is here. Go to my bookie dot ag right now. Sign up for a new account. Use the promo code bootleg right now. When you sign up, they're gonna give you that first deposit bonus. Now, my Bookie is crazy because no matter where you're at, you can go on. You can get in on some of that NFL action, you can get on some of that baseball action. You can get in on their live casino, blackjack, roulette slots, whatever you're into it's going down my book all right, sign up right now with that promo code Bootleg. They're gonna hook you up real nice first deposit bonus, free money to gamble with bro when you sign up. What are we talking about? Football season is here? This is literally my favorite time of the year as a degenermate. We must participate. We gotta get a little action in every Sunday on something. Maybe little Thursday night football action, maybe a little preseason action. Who do you think is gonna win the Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Throw a hundred on it? Fuck it?
Speaker 2: Sign up my bookie dot ag use that promo cold Bootleg and they're gonna get you hooked up with that first deposit bonus. Also, want to give a big shout out to our family at King Palm Man. Want to give a shout out to King Pom They have the Sugar Sean. First of all, congratulations to Phoenix, Arizona's own Sugar Sean for just winning that title with UFC they did to collab with them. These are the Sugar Punch Pney Orange pre rolls, which are gas. All right, now, this what's dope about King Pom one Organic? All right, we're talking about no tobacco organic leaves. And what's dope is they have these turping infused tips that people just love. Bro They're called the flavor tips. Right, you're like, uh, you bust one of these boys out. You know what I'm saying. You fill it with your stuff whatever you want to smoke, some of that flower that you got from Hardine, and then you hit the tip. Hey man, oh I just taste it right now, just flavor full of flavor. Now, go to kingpom dot com right now, use the promo code Bootleg, and you're gonna get half off half off whatever's on kingpom dot com. If you don't know, King Pom is everywhere, go to your local smoke shop, go to your local seven to eleven. They got King Poms everywhere. So many flavors, so many vibes, the grapes of gas. Yo, kingpom dot com. Use the promo code Bootleg fifty percent off. Let's get back to the interview. So was it last year you did the ice protest show?
Speaker 1: Oh no, that was a few years back. Man.
Speaker 2: Was that did you end up going because I know you did something downtown LA, but did you end up going to like the border you were doing like a show outside of the border in San Diego, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I went to Mexico, so you were, but I went to uh yeah, I went to TJ and I went to an actual like ice detention facility and performed outside of it on a truck. I was gonna say it was on a truck, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've never seen that. And I DJ in San Diego all the time and I go get all my medicine from Tijuana. So I know how crazy that border, especially because what year was this was this twenty twenty nineteen maybe Yeah, that border during the Trump years was fucking raz It was crazy. There were so many people, yeah, like nuts. And I think when we went over there to get in like one of the what was the big like immigrant like uh there, like there's a lot of people trying to seek asylum in the US and they were stopped at in tij One and.
Speaker 1: To a lot of African people that was African that I didn't until I went there. Yeah, I mean just the way that they were running that situation was just like super inhumane. And I was really surprised to see so many African people, like West African people. I think they were from like Cameroon or Congo. There was some French speaking Africans, and it was like, you know, hundreds upon hundreds of people, and the way that they would get contacted was like they get to the front of this line of thousands of people and then they give them a number on a piece of paper and then they call that number sometime within the next month, like weeks on weeks, and you literally have to be within earshot to hear.
Speaker 2: Your number called at the border at the border, so you kind of have to just hang out there for.
Speaker 1: Months like to proceed.
Speaker 2: So we're going to sleep on the sidewalk.
Speaker 1: Exactly what they were doing. It was like it was gross. Definitely see the way that they were treating human beings. Like I was, I was really taken aback by that. But that's also in the midst of like all the things happen with the kids in the detention facilities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just cages blankets that were like like metallic aluminum foil, and I think a lot of that stuff is still going on right now. It's definitely still going on, yeah, Because I mean, you know, I was I'm definitely a fuck Donald Trump type of guy, but I think a lot of that ship was going on before him too.
Speaker 1: And after and after. I'm not making any excuses for him in particular, but you know what I'm saying, the hypocrisy of like American oppression doesn't begin or end with Donald Trump. Donald Trump is just the one to put it on Front Street. He said, this is actually what I'm on. I'm paying all my niggas, I'm here for the bag straight like that. Fuck y'all, this is what presidents had been doing. But he just told you, just said what he was on.
Speaker 2: You know, he just let y'all know what was going.
Speaker 1: Down, said what he was on. That's why you know.
Speaker 2: It's crazy too, because like I've been like a lifelong, like you know, liberal Democrat guy, like you know, I voted for Joe Biden, But this last fucking few years, I just been like, I just don't know where we go from here, Like I don't know, like, how do you feel about this next presidential election, because it really feels like somehow we're gonna end up with the same two guys, And I don't know if either of them are great for our country. And I just don't know neither of them. No, they're definitively terrible. Joe Biden has been a terrible president, and I voted for him. He just hasn't been great. But the guy before him was terrible for his own reasons, terrible for the racial division, the normalization of a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Like him getting locked up and having that hard as a mugshot too. I think that only helps his case.
Speaker 2: Bro. I'm like, it's gonna be a Griselda album cover event like West Side Gun's next album might be the.
Speaker 1: Trump much Unfortunately, that's only help in his case.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm telling I'm like, Yo, these guys, if they're gonna go all in, they better make sure because if he don't go to jail, he's gonna be the next president.
Speaker 1: He can't even run. He can run from jail, and he will.
Speaker 2: But I think he'll lose the primary because I think there's enough.
Speaker 1: I think he'll lose, but you'll be there's I can't call it, yeah, you never know, Okay, call it. I mean like Joe Biden too, I'm not gonna forget that. Joe Biden is responsible for the nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: Four crime crime, people creators.
Speaker 1: And the system of mass and conserration. As we know, it is millions.
Speaker 2: He also nipped the HPCU bill that was supposed to fund a lot of the HBCUs. That was I think I think Trump put that through. Yeah, Biden is listen, man. That's why I'm like, I don't know where what do we do?
Speaker 1: Do we?
Speaker 2: I'm like I told everybody else. I was just talking to my wife's mom and I said, if it's Trump versus Biden, or if it's like the Santas versus Biden, I'm just going to vote Corner West and fucking sleep.
Speaker 1: While it was no Cornell, what corn West and Kanye West ran on a double bill.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Kanye, who was definitely just getting blown in the middle of a boat in Italy.
Speaker 1: And that's what That's what That's what we thought it was, right, Okay, Okay, I didn't see that part. I didn't see that part. Yeah, this next this next election, I can't call him. Man. I don't know if I would vote for Biden again. I mean, honestly, I think that it's always a lesser of two evils situation, but sometimes it's hard to really determine what the less of the two evils are a lot of the guys. The guys want Trump because he gave him PPP loans, but.
Speaker 2: The was going crazy.
Speaker 1: Shows you how simple niggas be. Man, It's like you dangle that carrot in front of him, gave him them p P P loans, and you know they they want him back for real.
Speaker 2: It is crazy because a lot of my homies, who you know, like, I think he's gonna do well with black males in a collection because a lot of my boys are like, man, we're fucking with Trump, and I'm like really.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I mean I think overall he won't, you know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 2: No, overall, but I think compared to like whatever he did last.
Speaker 1: Time, yeah, he might get like that two percent, you know what I mean. But in mass he's not gonna get the black folk. I mean, like, black people are not stupid. Some of the guys are very greedy. But in mass he won't get the black folk. But he's not relying on that, He's not leaning on that. His base is just as fired up as they ever been. I wonder at this point how it escalates, because the last escalation was was them trying to destroy their own capitals, like, which is crazy. I'm like, I don't claim this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how are you supposed to be patriotic?
Speaker 1: This is the thing you love? You don't want that runs around with the American flag on your pickup truck and you know your jacket in.
Speaker 2: This is what I tell everybody. I'm like, yo, anytime, like if if you know, Like I had to kind of come to a realization in the middle of his presidency because I was to the point where, like, if I found out you were like a trumper, I just couldn't talk to you, and I'd like.
Speaker 1: Family that way. I had family members that he got that way, right, he got that way. I'll still be trying to get past that.
Speaker 2: So I had to kind of come to the realization that, like, Okay, not everybody who voted for this guy is a bad person, right right. But then I'm like, okay, but if you're out here with a fucking MAGA flag on.
Speaker 1: Your trucks, pretty brazy.
Speaker 2: That's that's just a crazy, like that's some cult shit. It'd be like if somebody like I'd judge the same type of human being if there was a giant Joe Biden flag on your truck, I'd be like, yo, are we going to be that fanatical about any particular politician.
Speaker 1: Not everybody who drinks the kool Lead is the devil. But I've had to come to a place where I can recognize that just because someone is conservative or might be racist or prejudiced, that it doesn't serve me to judge them and be upset with them for it. Like I was in this Russian like spa the other day in Chicago, got the amazing It's got the hottest suna, the coldest cold plunge.
Speaker 2: And it's hard to find a spa in LA with the cold plunge and.
Speaker 1: The cold plunge is so crazy. But you know, the dude, he's got a racist vibe to him. You know, I can pick up on it. And then I went in most recently and I saw he had the he had conservative news channel just playing in the common area, and I'm like, okay, I properly interpreted, you know, this guy's energy. But at the same time, it's like, man, that's between him and God. Man. I was leaving mosque one time and I seen two brothers on the corner talking. There was a bunch of Nigerian guys who were loudly debating something as Nigerians do. And one of them was like, man, I'm Nigerian. Brothers. They be deep man. And the other one was like, man, but they be racist. And then the first one was like, that's between them and our law. And I thought that was so deep because there are a lot of misunderstandings between us as black people and Africans that I see both sides of it. Because I'm gonna end and I'm Black American. There's a lot of racism that goes both ways.
Speaker 2: I don't think a lot of people are hip to that. That that's a thing that exists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's that's that's that's a reality. But that exists for us wherever we go. There's psychological propaganda that's used to devalue Black Americans. It's used to devalue Black Africans. That's used to pit them against each other because the moment in time when we realize that we have a unified front, we have a common enemy, it would be too dangerous and too powerful. I mean, that's why Martin Luther King was killed. That's why you know Malcolm X. Once he started to move away from a black separatism mind state and embrace people of other cultures, things get really dangerous. Same thing for Martin Luther King. Once he's moved his focus from the March on Washington to Poor People's Movement, then he gets smoked because when you put those dots together, you connect those dots, then you get a red dot on your head. That's how it goes. But for me, I had to realize, like, Okay, this dude might be racist. Yes, he might be looking at me with a certain prejudice. I can interpret it. That's between him and God. Like, as long as he doesn't try me, what does it have to project that on to you? You know he's projecting it. But as long as it's not impeding my ability to do what I have to do, what does it have to do? What does it have to do with me? So I feel the same way about trump Ism at this point. Lot of people that maybe drinking that kool aid and caught up in either the hateful ideology or rhetoric and racism and anti Semitism and a mixture of the two. But that's between them and God. I'm not walking around mad like, right, I see you you fuck with Trump and now I'm like fuck you. Yeah, I mean, I'm not doing that just it's.
Speaker 2: Not worth What do you think is like the answer, because like you said, it's always a lesser too evils conversation. And to me, it's like, to me, like trying to figure out how to break up the two parties is you know, cause I look at like with like like when Bernie was running in twenty was it twenty twenty, Yeah, and he he won the first two or three primaries, and then once Biden went South Carolina, all the other DNC people just dropped out and it was like all the energy was behind Biden changed the election. But like for me, it's like no matter what, whether you're Democrat, you're Republican, both parties are extremely corrupt. Both parties are in bed with special interest groups, a lot of the same special interest groups, you know what I'm saying. And that's why I was like, man, if I vote third party, a lot of people say I've don't my vote away, But I'm like, at least it's like the beginning of like trying to like maybe it's three percent this time, maybe in formal years it's twelve percent vote third party. Like to me, like trying to figure out a way to get out of that two party system is like got to be the answer eventually.
Speaker 1: I don't know if the answer can be found in capitalism. You can't dismantle the master's house using the master's tools, and the power structure of this nation was built on the literal backs of people that look like me, right, and I can't see how our liberation, our freedom is going to be reliant or dependent upon them finding a conscience, you know what I mean. I think the answer has to be in collectivizing our power. The ANSWER's got to be in the artists putting their heads together and putting aside their differences, unifying and to restructure what the economics of our communities look like, and the athletes refusing to play ball until they get ownership, collectivizing their power and reinvesting that into their communities. Our communities aren't going to get the boost that they need and stop being exploited or oppressed because the Democrats decide so, or because the Democrats split into and.
Speaker 2: It starts at the ground level.
Speaker 1: For shit, it's got to be among the people, man, It's like, that's that's how power arises from the people. It's not going to be top down. That doesn't make sense to me, because they all eat off us. That's why I don't consider myself a Democrat or you know, anything like that, because I know that the Democrats are just as responsible for putting my nigga James and jail as the Republicans. They wrote the law too, they actually are the ones that put the law into effect, and they're in the White House now that shit is still reverberating through our community. So I don't consider myself as a part of them, But that doesn't mean that I don't take value from the things that they do well and the intervention of socialist policies into it. And I think Bernie was a great and has been a greatne uh you know, idiator in a political space to really push some necessary things forward. A dude like Bernie, he's so ill because his receipts is there, you know.
Speaker 2: His whole life, his receipts, he's been pushing them.
Speaker 1: He getting locked up with the black people in the sixties, you know, chained to it, and.
Speaker 2: He's still going and like pulling up a killer Mike to Amazon warehouses and like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That type of dude I stand behind. It's not a party or.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. That's how I felt because I was like, Yo, who's like the consistent, Like who's just a good guy? Like to me, I thought Bernie was like obviously a good person who's never like kind of straight away from his mission, you know what I mean. So shout out to Bernie Man for you as somebody who is an activist, as somebody who's done so much for your community. Would you ever consider getting into the political space locally?
Speaker 1: No, not a chance, Man, Never, No, definitely not. I'm political twenty years from now. I'm politically minded, but I would not want to be a politician. That's not where my heart is at. You know what I mean. I think politicians by nature have to lie too much. And I think we all know that. You know, I don't be hold of my tongue like that. Hey, but that might work in your favor, But there's so much lying and compromising with people's lives that comes along with politics, and you just have to accept that. Like, you can be the most values driven, progressively minded politician, but in order to be effective and get things done, you got to cut the deal with the FOP. And that's not me. I'm not cutting the deal with the Fraternal Order of Police. I'm not doing it, you know. I don't want to be in that position because that's just not that's not me, you know. So people ask me what I ever step into pol.
Speaker 2: I never would, never would consider it.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't even think about it. I think you could be Maryor in Chicago. Man, I don't want to be mayored.
Speaker 2: What was the last Maryor?
Speaker 1: Is it Lori Lightfoot shout out to Brandon Johnson. Oh, that's my boy. Is he the new mayor? He's the new mayor and.
Speaker 2: The previous mayor. She was a hilarious person to watch online.
Speaker 1: Her suits were really she was like mean.
Speaker 2: Yo, there was that there was Did you ever see that? There was like the interaction between her and some like some guy on YELP.
Speaker 1: I ain't see that.
Speaker 2: It was so funny.
Speaker 1: She just wasn't She didn't have a constituency and she wasn't open to addressing what was really going on. Like when she had a conversation set up with me, she found out, you know that I was very critical of the police.
Speaker 2: That's her name, right, Lori l floryd Life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she found out it was so critical of the police, and so she just canceled the conversation because she wasn't willing to like actually discuss what's going on in the city. You know what I mean. Chicago is a city with so many harsh realities that it's like, how could we ever move forward if we don't face those realities. I think we have a lot of subcultures and ideas and all culture that are destroying us too, like op culture. The idea of OPS is one way that we've been brainwashed in Chicago and in every hood and in rap music to believe that we are innately against or enemies of ourselves. It's almost like we're staring in the mirror pointing the gun at ourselves because we've been taught that you're from this block, I'm from this block. You would inherit that we are ops, we are enemies, and so we romanticize it. But I think in many ways we've been misled and it's just a manifestation of our own self hatred. We've been taught to hate ourselves, and so we turn it into you, my op, even though you look just like me and you're from the same circumstances as me, but you're from a different block two streets away. We don't own these projects, we don't own these Section eight houses, we don't own these vacant lots, we don't own these liquor stores, we don't own these gas stations, but we die for them every day. It doesn't make sense. There's so much mis education and misinformation. So I'm saying we need to dispel and dissipate the whole op culture, the whole idea.
Speaker 2: It's exhausting, man, And I'm like a you know me, I'm a huge hip hop head, but like, I am so disconnected from so much of the politics in that world. I know there's other platforms that are notable that like dive more into that shit. And I'm just like, like, when a guy from Chicago comes on my show, like I don't usually I don't know what the fuck.
Speaker 1: I'm not even interested in talking about any of that stuff. But that's good, bro, That's good because a lot of people like man, a lot of guys I see the interviews, and you know, they they like just try to stand on that and try to force these artists to speak about their ops or who they've bickered with and who they have beef with and then if they don't want to, you know, like either take a fence or you know. It's like I think that the role of a journalist or a steward of culture as you are and people that are your contemporaries, is one that has to be treated with a lot of respect and a lot of reverence, man, because there's so much influence and it's like this music that we make that we aspire to rise from out of the gutter with and we put our heart and our soul into it, and oftentimes it's a reflection of good and bad everything that's around us. Man, it can bring a lot a lot of murder behind it. And it's the people that sit in that seat that can either help us to transcend and express, you know, what is important to us and what's valuable to us, or try to chain us to where we came from. And it's like, man, I know it's clickbait, I know it helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I means yeah yeah. To me, it's like yo, there's real like lives on the line dying from this stuff. To me, it's like I got to be able to why do you want me to talk about it?
Speaker 1: And why do you want me to talk about it on record. That's the thing I think is crazy about hip hop is like I think that we've reached an era and an age when snitching on yourself and self incrimination to all time people encouraging you to incriminate yourself is at an all time How you get on here and they want you to give a detailed account of what crimes you've committed.
Speaker 2: I don't have to stop artists in the interview sometimes, and I don't have to hit them with the allegedly allegedly, yeah, allegedly because like I'm like, allegedly whatever.
Speaker 1: It's such a catch twenty two though, because we've seen that those things go viral. So if you're young artists or a young nigga in the street aspiring to be an artist and you see somebody catch a murder and that skyrocket their.
Speaker 2: Career, yeah, that can keep your career up if you came about it, or you.
Speaker 1: Can really excite somebody to think, Okay, well maybe this is a way that I can change my life, my family's life, because it's working for being on front street about some street ship or going to do some street ship, making the music about it for sure, and the record labels profit from it, So.
Speaker 2: You're you're incentivized to do that because it's good for your career what was your life. It's not good for the bigger picture.
Speaker 1: But you know what was super wild to me, man was like realizing that everywhere is not like this, like not even in hip hop, you know, being in South Africa, which is also a pretty violent, explosive place in its ways, but learning that their hip hop scene is like that doesn't fuel your career, that doesn't help you. Then you're seeing it's harder to market, and I was like, it's crazy because it's the opposite in America. It's like, if you're stamped and your criminal history is volidified, then this can be the main.
Speaker 2: It can give you a career. But I do but I do think it also puts a ceiling on you because there are certain like like shit rolling loud, Like now you know they'll they'll not book an artist because the hip hop police of New York is on their ass. You know, some of these droll guys in New York that have issues. And my whole approach to the whole situation is like I've had very few situations where I've had any sort of conversations that were like beef driven and if it ever gets brought up, it'd be because like there was two there's two guys from Jacksonville that have like Jacksonville's crazy and I in our interview because I know both of them. I know both of the guys Fulio and Young and Ace, And the only time we touched on the subject was like, how do you guys like squash this because you guys are from the same city, Like, is there a way to ever put this behind you guys and set an example?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like that that that you guys could be bigger than whatever has already happened, Because I think that's really the hardest thing is like one convincing artist that like, yes, when you're on YouTube and the algorithm is feeding you these weird ass hood documentaries that these faceless.
Speaker 1: YouTube make so strange that shit is.
Speaker 2: So there's a whole mega micro economy on YouTube of faceless YouTube creators that just do hood commentary, street beef. It's crazyrew, it's insane. You don't know what these guys look like.
Speaker 1: Maybe somewhere in Utah.
Speaker 2: You don't know what they look like. They're making millions DONI. They're making millions.
Speaker 1: Dollars off the shit. It's real shit. It's like hip hop is in that way like trauma porn for people outside of our community. You know, we don't need to sit and watch that because that's going on in our real lives.
Speaker 2: But like you said, if you're an artist and like you're trying to get a buzz, it's like almost like, well, how do I make people give a fuck? And well, I know that this is what people will care about, but then there's real life consequences to that. You might lose your life, your friend might lose your life.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: To me, it's like, yo, how do we try to get passed? Because, like you said, the op culture, to me, it's like a cloud over hip hop the last like five years. That's just like, oh, it's just too much sometimes man, Like I'm exhausted by it.
Speaker 1: Bro. Like, I just feel like we as black men have to normalize conflict resolution. We have to normalize peacemaking. We have to normalize letting things go. Letting things go is the important We have to recognize that oftentimes the real strength, the real power, is in letting something go. That's much more difficult I had to learn that it takes a lot more out of me to let it go than it does for me to take it to a violent space, because that's the way I.
Speaker 2: And you're carrying conflict with you at all times, use you don't even realize it.
Speaker 1: I had a situation in Chicago where, you know, something from my past came back and someone that had robbed me and was very close to me and you know, ultimately popped back up with like a real disrespectful, aggressive attitude and approach. And in that moment, I decided to give it absolutely no power to respond, not at all. So when he was as close to me as you are now telling me what he gonna do, see me here there, I just said, man, God bless you. Bro got up and left, you know, started to hit my phone. I said, God bless you blocked it. Move on, hit me from different numbers. But what I learned was in exercising that restraint, which was so difficult for me, and putting it to a space of God and prayer and just letting it go, the situation fell a part of its own weight so much more easily than if I had engaged it in a violent way. But we're not taught that that conflict resolution and nonviolent conflict resolution is ultimately more beneficial because a lot of times in the past I will handle something differently and I would go handle it in a violent way. And now look, next thing you know boutleg KFC is me on TV with a gun case because I'm in a spiral of revenge paranoia. I'm keeping this on me all the time because somebody might come and retaliate for something that I've done. I can't create the right way because you're always when you got beef with.
Speaker 2: Like this my studios, it's a subconscious shit because you're always on like kind of your guard's always up.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing that we experience, man, is it's like we live in a constant state of survival mode and the brain reacts to that like we're in the wild at fear of lions attacking us. Are Amygdala is responsible for the cortisol that keeps us in fight or flight mode, and in our communities, in our neighborhoods, we're always in fight of flight mode because you're always ready to either kill or be killed. So, especially while you beefing with people and experiencing the op shit. It's like you're a migdala and your cortisol is overactive, so you're constantly tense, you're constantly stressed. You're ready to go at any time. And for me, it's hard to like move from a place of peace and like really be focused on what's important when I'm doing that, and it just ultimately it fucks the money up, It fucks the spirit up, fucks the energy up for you know, find yourself in a jail cell or you know worse.
Speaker 2: Gotta stop the interview real quick to tell you about our good folks at Blue Chew. Baby, that's right, shout out to Blue Cheo.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Listen, everyone's always asking me does blue Choo work? Of course it works because it has the same active ingredient as viagra and Sialis. It is dick season out here, bruh. You know what I'm saying. You gotta make sure that dick is up the par you know, you get on that Blue Chew and you're gonna never Like, I mean, I'm gonna be honest, Like, do you remember when Barry Bonds hit seventy home runs in a season and now they're not letting him in the hall of Fame like you get off that blue chee. They're not gonna let you in the dick Hall of Fame because it's cheating, to be honest, you know what I'm saying. So Bluehoo dot Com use the promo code bootleg when you sign up. Now, this is what's dope about blue Choo, because you want to know if it works well, They're gonna send you a month for free free blue chow in discrete packaging delivered right to your door. But you have to use the promo code bootleg. Blue choo dot Com promo code bootleg. Everything's online, no doctor's office visits, no worrying about fucking having a weird conversation with some dickhead about your fucking dickhead. No, your fucking blue chew dot Com free month online. You don't even have to leave your fucking apartment. You don't have to leave anywhere. You just order it comes into the mail and then you know, you just you know, you get to work. You get to work, all right. So use that promo code bootleg and get a free month of blue Chew. Also want to give a big shot to our good folks at odd Socks. Now that SI was so about odd socks. I'm about to reach into my odd socks bag. Oh man, look, odd socks. They got all of the fucking sick licenses. Recently they locked down Coca Cola. Recently they locked down fucking transformers, Saban power Rangers. We got you who, we got sour patch kids. You know, they got their odd socks basics. And I'm telling you, the most comfortable socks in the world, in the fucking world, all right, and they can all be yours twenty percent off, twenty percent off using the promo code bootleg if you go to oddsocksofficial dot com, the most comfortable socks in the world. And they got draws.
Speaker 1: And these draws are amazing. These are this is a small just so.
Speaker 2: We're clear, this is a small Yeah, yeah, chicks can worth these. You know, a lot of chicks like wearing these booty shorts around the crab and shit. Odd socksoficial dot com whatever you're into, they got the license WWE scarface fucking breaking bad whatever. Odd sooxofficial dot Com promo code bootleg. Go over there, get twenty percent off. Right now, Let's get back to the interview you talked about going to the forest.
Speaker 1: And doing shrooms with your mom. Yo, that was the best.
Speaker 2: You have a very highly documented incident at an airport where you got that almost happened to me once and the dude was cool enough to just throw them away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, too many of them?
Speaker 2: Was it the TSA guys that hit you?
Speaker 1: Uh? Man? You know I've been on a extra security list for a lot of years.
Speaker 2: Okay, so then you already you already were flagged kind of.
Speaker 1: I was flagged since the time I was like nineteen. But you know it's funny because I was actually I was cutting my anti depressants cold turkey. I've been on fifteen anti depressant medications.
Speaker 2: You were medicated pretty simply since I was age.
Speaker 1: I've been on a Lexa, Prozoloft, defectsor well butrim, prozac, you name it, probably about ten to fifteen medicines over a span of about ten to fifteen years. And I realized that those medicines were making my mental health worse if I stopped taking the medicine. They were making me suicidal at times when I wasn't that when I began taking the medicine. So I said that those are very bad. So I decided I'm gonna cut the medicine basically cold turkey and replace it with microdocin like a non psychoactive, very small doca mushrooms. And I figured, man, going to Ghana, this would be the perfect time. You know, I'll be in a more beautiful environment, in a more peaceful place, and it'd be a great time. And you're going out there for your festival. This was the year before that. This was the year before that, but we were laying the groundwork for the festival. And yeah, you know I had all these micro does things because I reached out to different companies to send me stuff. They sent me way more than I asked for. I threw it in a bag, was bringing it back with me, and you know, boom got slammed and I'm all over the news and x y Z. But you know what was ill about it was like I was so deep in my meditation at the time. I was used to meditating for hours on end. So the moment I realized I'm getting locked up, I didn't start stressing. I started meditating. I'm just I'm like in a cell like, oh you know what I'm saying, And mentally I was light years away. I was back on the beach in Ghana, and I was like manifesting my freedom and just my blessing from the moment when it started to go left. So when they called me and they're like, okay, the lawyer is going to be twenty k just to start a retainer. You want the good win or do you want to you know, cheap a lawyer, I said, man, just give me the lawyer, you know, because I told myself, I thank God that this money has been returned to me in a perfect time, in a perfect way. And the day I got out was a Wednesday. Thursday. Dj Oreo brought me to come and do a club performance at Tower in Chicago, handed me twenty thousand dollars cash. The next day, I was like, oh, this shit really work. You know. Whatever I was trying to do before and you know, trying to scam this and trap that, you know what I mean, I could just move in an upright way with intention and with a positive energy and the universe that give me that shit, you know what I mean. I don't have to ppp that shit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: App the boys was eating bro I was gonna say, would you say shrooms? Because I'm a big shroom guy.
Speaker 1: I love shroom.
Speaker 2: I think that you know, I know it. I think in organ year that therapy for therapeutic purposes there's like full legalization. They're they're doing like psilocybin therapy in organ for like people with PTS.
Speaker 1: Well, that's basically the way I do it now. You know, I'm sober except for the psychedelic stuff, and I use it in a healing capacity like its original purpose, like an indigenous medicine. So I peeped those psychological clinical trials that they're doing, and it's about an eighth adjusted for your body masks, and they'll put you in a in a room like basically a hospital room with like the my mask and ambient music in your ears. And that's the way I started doing the shrooms. And I'll be either in a dark room with an eye mask and the earplugs or ambient music and just go into my mind, you know what I mean, and use it to like deconstruct a lot of the fear and just like negative emotions and confusion that naturally comes from living the way we live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what people don't understand is like if you eat trooms with intent, you'll get something out of it. Now, if you're partying and you're like, I want to eat some fucking trooms at the club, you're gonna get that out of it too.
Speaker 1: You also might freak out. You might freak out. But that's what I realized too, is like, since I started to treat it in the way that I treat it, like, with respect and reverence, I don't have bad trips right because I'm not running from anything. I'm not just taking this to try to have just a jolly old time. I'm taking it because you.
Speaker 2: Want to confront something.
Speaker 1: I want to confront something, and I wanted to reveal things to me. So there's not really such a thing as a bad trip if I'm not afraid to confront whatever is coming, and if I'm not trying to dictate the way that this would work. Like, my problem with mushrooms in the past when I was a kid was that I started to lean on them as a crutch creatively, and I got to a point where I felt like I had to use mushrooms to make dope music. That's when it stopped working. That's when I started having bad trips. So that's when I moved on.
Speaker 2: Because you're using it as a crutch for something and it's not. That's not what it's supposed.
Speaker 1: To be for. And for me, that had that had an expiration date each time. I remember right when the mushrooms started to not work. So then I did some MOLLI and wrote an amazing song, you know, and I was like, Okay, this is my new crutch, and that stopped working, started snoring. Adderall that stopped working, started doing coke. Yeah you know what I mean. That never worked in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never done cocaine.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you're not missing out on That's what I've heard. Though.
Speaker 2: You know, it's crazy to addall shit. I don't think a lot of people talk about it, but like yo, man, in the music industry, that creative industry, adderall is running rampant because a lot of these guys who have to stay up at it, engineer, a lot of dudes, they kind of depend as Adderall as a crutch because it really is like it keeps. I mean, you could speak to it, you've done it. I heard it's kind of like what's that Bradley Cooper movie where he takes the limitless limitless? I heard it's like a like a like a limitless type of situation, because if you want to get a bunch of shit done, you know, I got homies, so edit a whole fucking complex music video and like one night because they're off of an adderall. But like I feel like a lot of creatives are depending on that right now.
Speaker 1: All that shit just doesn't work forever. It's the thing, and it fries your neural pathways.
Speaker 2: And like you're gonna burn out on that ship.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean. The colmdown is crazy, from the Mali to the adderall, which are really two sides of the same coin. It's an amphetamines, it's synthetic serotonin. It's pumping your brain full of dopamine and feel good chemicals. But when you're off the drugs, now your body's not able to produce those things in the same way. So you get what they call suicide Tuesday, and you just be mad depressed because you've used all the serotonin and it's just not sustainable. Like, so I started to seek out natural ways to spike my serotonin. So I got deeply into meditation, because when you meditate, that makes your serotonin levels spike like thirty percent. You know, crazy massages give you serotonin. Spending time in nature.
Speaker 2: Have you done the deprivation tank in the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did that a while back.
Speaker 2: I heard if you do that, like you could kind of like trip balls low key, if you're in there long enough, just with.
Speaker 1: Nothing, you can straight trip off breathing. Yeah, I'd be doing like deep breath work, you know what I mean. There's one I do call the whim Hoff breathing method, and like you know, it's a lot of deep breath and then you hold your breath. You do that for thirty minutes, like you'd be high, Like you could trip with absolutely nothing, just off your breath.
Speaker 2: Have you fucked with ayahuasca at all?
Speaker 1: Hella hella, hella, hella. Fuck with that shit. Yeah, I've been. I've been doing ayahuasca since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: You're going to do you? Have you have a shaman?
Speaker 1: Like? Yeah? Almost every year. I got a few shimen that I shamans shamen. Yeah, yeah, I got a feueral. I think it's shamans. Yeah. I've been doing ayahuascar since twenty sixteen, so I think I've probably done like about seven or eight ceremonies by this time, and that has been super impactful for me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know people who's done it like a weekend and it just like changed their whole trajectory of life and like they got rid of habits like immediately almost Like.
Speaker 1: I think that has been super impactful for me, going sober show and just like developing a new mindset and like mastering my thoughts.
Speaker 2: I want to do that, and I'm really I mean, I have access to d MT. I'm just scared to do it. I'm just like, I don't know. If I just hear about I heard t shirt is crazy. It's like fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's quick, man. I did. I did one called the five M e O d MT. It's called the Toad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the ship Mike Tyson talks about. Is that the ship you have to freebase?
Speaker 1: That's what you could call it. It doesn't look too different.
Speaker 2: It looks it looks crackheadish for sure, but I heard it's like crack cattish.
Speaker 1: Yo. It was ill. So I'm gonna tell you the truth. The last time I did the Toad, I was already kind of primed for the experience because it was my second time and I was in a good mind frame as opposed to like a depressed place. I'm sure it changes you. So the moment when I inhaled it, you blast off. But from the jump, I was telling myself, I'm releasing myself from fear. I am releasing myself from fear. I'm releasing myself from fear. And I just had this blissful experience where I really communicated with my grandmother, who I never spoke to with words because she didn't speak English. She was in Ghana and she spoke twee. I didn't speak twee. So this was probably the first conversation conversation I've had with her. And she told me that I should not be inspired by her fear, but by her love. And it was deep to me because I'm not directly descended from slaves in America, so it didn't click to me until she told me, like, yes, I carried fear and I gave you fear. I was enslaved, We were enslaved, we were dominated and oppressed, you know, as African people. But when you think of me, do you think of my fear or do you think of my love? And that was it's so pivotal to me, not only because I felt like I was having a conversation with my grandmother that I could never speak to, but also because it gave me context that a lot of the fear I've carried in my life predates me, is not just me. Like we're walking around with generational trauma. You know, there are things that happen in your bloodline before you that are passed down to you. So now the question is how are you going to deal with it? You know what I mean? Are you going to unconsciously be guided by the fear in your trauma bloodline or are you going to learn to identify it and to transcend it. So the toad helped me to work towards transcending it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had people tell me my boy John John said he lived like a six month.
Speaker 1: Life in that fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: No, he said, He's like, Bro, I had a girlfriend, I went to a job in job.
Speaker 1: I was like, and when he told me, what did that nigga do? Hey?
Speaker 2: When he told me that, I was like, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I want to do that, gang.
Speaker 2: I think I'm good like I want to do it.
Speaker 1: My ship was a proper fifteen minutes like yeah, yeah, that's just like kind of rock and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fucking crazy. I was gonna ask you, uh talk about just like obviously you know you got the Black Star Festival which is in Africa, which is dope.
Speaker 1: That's you in Chance.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah what what what inspired you to do that?
Speaker 1: Man? You know it was really being on the podcast in South Africa, Okay, and I'm talking to these dudes. They got a dope platform called Sobring podcasts. Hip hop heads. They know everything, bro, they're knowing versus from when I first met you. Yeah, kids, these days music, you know what I mean? All my Ship, all Chance Ship, Shoey perp, Like I haven't heard that game for a while, my click my uh. You know, all the people that come up at the same they're knowing all the music. And it just struck me, like, how is it that we don't come and perform for these people, like and they're huge fans of the music, they love the culture. You know, there's got to be something that can be done about this, because world tours happen. But he thinks that the kids in Ghana and Nigeria and South Africa are oblivious to the fact that they're never on the list. That's real, you know what I mean. You call it a world tour.
Speaker 2: People go to Germany, people go to Brazil.
Speaker 1: But you're leaving out a whole continent that not only is, you know, the birthplace of black people, and hip hop music is the most ubiquitous form of communication. Black art form is taken a world by storm, and you know, we're often just completely out of touch with an entire continent of people. So that's when I just started thinking about, Yo, there's got to be a way that we could bring the black artists to come and perform for the fans in Africa and to meet the land and experience the continent for real. And it's going to take favors, it's going to take friends, it's going to take mission and people buying in to that mission. But it's doable. And when Chance came to visit me in Ghana, I just started to kick it to him and he was just immediately on the same wavelength and in that same mind frame, and it happened quickly.
Speaker 2: That's dope, man. We'll look The album's coming up September fifteen. September fifteenth Victor album Any Features, Yeah, you got on the album.
Speaker 1: You know one that I'm really excited about is Jay Electronica.
Speaker 2: Ooh, shout out to jail elect He gave me a crazy verse. I bet. I mean, I don't know if he's ever not given someone a crazy verse. It's be hard to it'd be really hard for him to wrap.
Speaker 1: Like he can't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, shout out to Jay elect Yo. It's crazy. Uh, I just I was just having this conversation with somebody and I just educated somebody on crucial conflict.
Speaker 1: That's crazy because we're working on sample and crucial conflict.
Speaker 2: Right, you guys sampled telling him these days.
Speaker 1: We used to play. We used to play that.
Speaker 2: That fucking Traphouse rock album when they used to come out with us, like I would have Cold Hart was it never never was in the group. I remember I used to know all the wild Style.
Speaker 1: Wild Style. Yeah, that's shown it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was really cold Heart and Kelo that would that would rock with us.
Speaker 2: Shout to the Final Tick a classic album.
Speaker 1: Yo. They would come out and crowdsurfer. When we were seventeen, they come out with us at the Metro in Chicago, be crowdsurfing. These guys like Keilo is a big guy, two hundred plus pounds. You know, CrowdSurf.
Speaker 2: I remember those guys with their leather overalls on the cover of that album, and I had the bookletud them guys is legends, So also shout trying to do or die?
Speaker 1: To do or Die also another very undoing appreciated legends both West Side of Chicago. You know, legends that brought a style just to the world.
Speaker 2: Have you chopped it up with Twitch? I know Twist is doing like it was a Twist about a week ago, he's doing a lot of Twister.
Speaker 1: Came out at the APT Oh Dope, Well.
Speaker 2: I know he's like doing a lot in the like trying to like properly show people how to use guns in Chicago, do it the legal way so that it is dope super dope man. Well, look, go get the album on the fifteenth. I can't believe it's your second album. I mean technically it's like you're like sixth right, fifth CPS and all this internet tape we're not considering an album. Basically is hey, shout out to this guy for people who don't know, I did a mixtape called Empire Business and you gave me orange Soda before Orange Juice. I didn't My graphic designer fucked that up.
Speaker 1: So was it? Because I was trying to remember the other day, I was like, was it me or was it you?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. I just remember when I put the artwork. If you hit me, you're like, it's Orange Soda, bro, So it must have been. But it was on my shit like well before it in.
Speaker 1: That tape drop. Yeah it was. That was like before it came out. Yeah, shouts to man, Damn, that's crazy. I didn't even remember that. Yes, and then semtexs put it on like BBC Radio.
Speaker 2: Classic Classic record. I appreciate you pulling up the alas.
Speaker 1: Man, my god, that's love.
Speaker 2: Boom fire. Hey, what up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: You just watched another episode of the blueleg Cap podcast, brought to you by Hardan. Baby. Shout out to the family at Hard Dean. Don't forget. Make sure if you're in Las Vegas, you get into that taxi as soon as you land to get into that uber, say take me to Hard Dean. All right, they gonna take get you taken care of the most craziest premium selection of cannabis you'll ever find. Under one roof. It's a vibe in there. The butt tenders, they gonna take care of you, man. Listen, tell them I sent you. They're gonna get you right. Shout out to the family at Hardean in Las Vegas, the number one dispensary in the world, all right, and we are so proud to be partners with them, So shout out to hard Dean. Follow them online Harden Underscore Las Vegas and check out their website Hardanlasvegas dot com. Get you some swag. You know you can't buy this, but you know, yeah, Shout out to Harden