Speaker 1: Hey you, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. This is Rob Lamb and today we have an episode that originally published one three, twenty twenty five. This episode features a guest host. My friend David Streepy of Talkin' Tofu the podcast, returned to the show and discussed with me the nineteen eighty seven miniaturization film Interspace, directed by Joe Dante and starring Dennis Quaid, Martin Short, and Meg Ryan. A movie that I loved as a kid and has just a fabulously weird love triangle at the heart of it. So let's jump right in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb, and today I have a returning special guest co host. We're joined once more by David Streepy of the Talking TOFU podcast. Dave, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thanks for having me back, and hello to all the stuffies. I think I think we agreed that they're called, so hello again to all of you. Glad to be back.
Speaker 1: That's right, we're gonna be talking about the gate three right, yes, no, I wish.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, could you imagine Old Man Terry now?
Speaker 1: Instead, we're gonna be We were talking about like a handful of potential movies and we ended up going with the one. I think this one was probably the one that you brought up that was the most holiday friendly, and I think might be a stealth holiday film because I did see a Santa Claus at one point.
Speaker 3: That's all it takes to qualify, really, and this did happen in California, so really you're only cues that it is the holidays and a West Coast movie are from the decorations and not from climate or any anything else that's going on. Yeah, we did have we had a bunch of really strong contenders for possibilities, but I think this one, in addition to its appropriateness, it's the it's a big one, but it kind of made a small splash and a big splash at the same time. It's really really unique.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't feel like Interspace, the movie you're talking about in nineteen eighty seven's Interspace. This is Joe Dante. Film got a great cast, I mean, starring Dennis Quaid, Martin short, Meg Ryan. I mean, it came out big summer special effects movie apparently made money. This was not a box office bomb by any stretch, and it amazed a lot of kids. I was one of those kids who watched this film multiple times. I guess I maybe saw it on TV the first time and then maybe just rented it a bunch of times after that on VHS. But I was super into this picture. I would make little lego models roughly based on the two main submarine bots in the film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that you're right this one definitely. I don't think it was a flop at the box office, but maybe had higher hopes given the pedigree of everybody involved. But I think it was a big renter. It was a big VHS. I remember having a huge presence at the video store, both in cardboard cutout, but also the number of copies that were on the shelves. The availability of the copies that were on the shelves. This movie seemed to turn up quite a bit in sleepovers on trips where you would get five bucks to go to the video store and pick something out. I just remember seeing this movie a lot, a lot, and I think I mentioned this too. I texted you this while I was rewatching recently there's like a whole hour of this movie that I completely forgot about in the middle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's easy to expect with an effects film like this, you have your big effects sequences, you have your big finale. Those are the ones that certainly stuck in my head the most. Also, some of the like the Martin Short over the top freak out moment, which I mean, if you're going to hire Martin Short, especially you know during the eighties or the nineties or well or subsequent decades, you're going to want at least a little of that.
Speaker 3: Or even now. Yeah, I think that's that's still a stock in trade, and I think that, you know what, I kind of maybe tuned out and we'll get to it, of course. But what didn't really stick on my memory was all the work needed to move Martin Short around the board. Yes, and upon a rewatch, it's pretty compelling stuff that's moving him around the board, But like you said, I'm more fascinated with what's going on inside his body, what the tech looks like, how he got there in the first place, and how he's going to get out of that situation. And there's a huge chunk in the middle of that sandwich that I wasn't really thinking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a film that is, it's constantly in motion. It keeps adding new elements, often wild elements, on top of characters. Yeah, new characters. There's a whole whole cast of villains in this picture, as we'll discuss. So it's it's never boring. It's in constant motion. It is like Martin Short as a film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Martin Short film film modified.
Speaker 1: Now, this is, of course a miniaturization film if you're I think everyone out there is familiar with this subgenre of science fiction by now, with the classic example being Fantastic Voyage. This is essentially Fantastic Voyage through Martin Short. I don't know that we've had a menturization film recently. It seems like more recently you tend to see it pop up like as a treatment on some sort of a science fiction show. I think Rick and Morty did a miniaturization episode years back, and I don't know that we've had any kind of like big Fantastic Voyage style adventure recently.
Speaker 3: I think the one that stands out to me, and it's not a movie, but the Futurama episode where Fry eats an egg salad sandwich from a gas station. That's a great one. The parasites from the sandwich colonize his body, become super intelligent and have a whole civilization in there, and they have to go inside to reconcile that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a great one because it's it's fantastic voyage themed, but it is also a Flowers for Algernon themed episode, so it has a fair amount of depth to it as well. And then just a lot of great jokes, and there's the whole worm thing, like why are people came over on the sandwich? Great stuff? All right, let's go ahead and listen to at least some of the trailer audio here. Let's let it roll.
Speaker 4: Test pilot Tuck Pendleton wants to make history. Supermarket clerk Jack Putter needs a vacation. I'm very late.
Speaker 1: That's not good.
Speaker 3: You know, it's coupon day.
Speaker 4: Lieutenant Pendleton is about to be miniaturized, placed into this needle, and then injected into this.
Speaker 3: Rabbit rock and roll. But something went wrong.
Speaker 4: And Tuck's about to get a new destination inside. Jack Putter. Give yourself a shot of Adventure Inner Space.
Speaker 1: All right, David, I see you had a note here about the music in the trailer, possibly the trailer we used here, but possibly another trailer. But still, this is a great point regarding the music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the music used for the Fertelly chase scene in Goonies, the dun dun't dun't dun't. It's always great when a podcast guest just like hums a line, no, timelessly for you. But it's really really it's the opening scene of Gooney. It's really iconic bit of music. Cool to see it here, but also a little bit strange to see it here too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like when you encounter a trailer where they're clearly using the Aliens theme song. You know, it's like, that's great, you're really getting me amped up, but amped up for a different movie, right.
Speaker 3: Just kind of duck through the drawer for it and got something that you knew I would recognize and knew would pull me in.
Speaker 1: I guess they still do this today, right, use because the music's not always together when you're putting together a trailer, or you're just like, well, we have rights to better music, let's sell this puppy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's you know, the marketing can be that detached from the actual production that unless you've got the Star Wars theme ready to go with your Star Wars trailer, you're gonna take some liberties. And it really, you know, matches the tone of the movie in a way that if you weren't again hyper familiar with Goony is the way that I was as a kid. That was the other video that I was renting. The music fits the tone of the trailer, fits the tone of the movie really really well. It's a wacky, wacky movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, all right. So some of you might be wondering, well, where can I watch Innerspace before proceeding with the rest of the episode. Well, luckily for you, this was a major motion pictures it has not been entirely forgotten it to make not as celebrated as it should be. But you can find streams of it, you know, digital rentals and purchases. A Blu Ray edition is out there, and I do notice that it has an older director's commentary on it with director Joe Dante, producer Michael Finnell, co stars Kevin McCarthy and Robert Piccardo, and also visual effects supervisor Dennis Murrean obviously an older director's commentary. I haven't listened to it, but I don't think I've ever listened to a Joe Dante commentary track. But he's one of those guys that's so knowledgeable. I bet it's bet it's pretty great.
Speaker 3: That's really interesting that Kevin McCarthy and Robert Piccardo would be the sit ins on that commentary and not Quaid or Short or even Meg Ryan.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, sometimes you can't get the big fish. They move on to other projects.
Speaker 3: I don't know, and there are their presence in the movie is pretty significant. These guys are not bit players at all. They're they're huge parts of the movie.
Speaker 1: Plus with Joe Dante, you know that he loves like an old, older act, you know, from classic Hollywood pictures. So you know, there's Kevin McCarthy, and then he loves to cast Robert Riccardo and put him in strange romantic situations such as with the made up Grimlin from Grimlins Too'.
Speaker 3: He's so weird in this movie is character.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to get into that character. Yeah all right, well let's talk a bit more about the people involved here, starting with Joe Dante born nineteen forty six. Joe and I have previously discussed Joe Dante on Weird House Cinema because we talked about Grimlins too. One of the things that I pointed out, just sort of to try and sum him up, is that he's one of these guys that seems to have a foot in two worlds, Like, on one hand, he's like a horror legend, and on the other hand he's this, you know, obvious Spielbergian Amblin entertainment guy. And you see more of the second, but also a little the first in this one. On the horror front, you have the likes of the Howling from eighty one, Piranha from seventy eight, and then you get into that Grimlin zone, which is kind of crossing the threshold. He directed the segment It's a Good Life in Twilight Zone, the movie from nineteen eighty three, But then he also did things like nineteen eighty five, It's The Explorers, eighty nine's The Birds, nineteen ninety three, He's Manatee, and this film especially, Yeah, it is definitely in that ambulance zone. It is an ambulin entertainment picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's definitely. You know, he's he's this sounds like a dig but I don't mean it that way. He is like a ranch dressing of a director in that he can go in any direction. I think he's got strong horror chops, but he really shines when he's bringing a bunch of different elements to a bunch of different genres to the movie and creating something that's completely unique. See it in Grimlins one hundred percent, and you really see it here where the slapstick wouldn't work without the spy espionage angle, without the tech angle, without the sci fi element of it, Like it all blends together and creates something that is really his signature, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would argue that it even feels more cohesive than Grimlin's. Grimlin's certainly a better known film, but that's one that I always felt like it didn't completely know what it wanted to be. This film, I feel like it balances everything pretty nicely. You know, nothing feels out of step.
Speaker 3: I agree. I think that he's having fun here, and not to say that Grimlins is not fun, but Grimlins feels like it's trying to send you a message as well. And I think there's no message here. The message is what if this happened?
Speaker 1: Let's watch and let's keep upping the anti Yeah, yeah, oh, I have a post editing insertion to make here. You might have caught my mistake there. I just referenced a nineteen ninety three Joe Dante movie that I said was called called Manatee. The film is, of course Mattine. But I left the mistake in because I don't know about you, but I'm suddenly really fascinated with the idea of a nineteen ninety three Joe Dante film about manates Who knows what that would have consisted of. All right, now, let's get back into the episode. Let's see getting into the writers on this. Jeffrey Boehm, who lived nineteen forty six through two thousand, has I believe the main screenplay credit here. Accomplished American screenwriter whose credits include seventy eight Straight Time, eighty three's The Dead Zone, eighty seven's The Lost Boys, eighty nine's Indiana Jones, and In the Last Crusade, as well as a couple of lethal weapon movies. He also directed and wrote one episode of Tales from the Crypt titled Creep Course.
Speaker 3: Wow. I mean this is just home Run after Home Run. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was involved in a lot of big projects. The other name on the screenplay also a story and co producer credit Chip Prosser born nineteen forty six, writer and director, probably best known for this film that we also work in the screenplay for to some degree. I'm I'm not sure to what degree with nineteen eighty four is Iceman?
Speaker 3: So is this a Top Gun prequel?
Speaker 1: No, it is an unfrozen cave man movie, all right. Now getting into the cast for Innerspace, it is pretty extensive with some great bit parts and cameos, which is pretty standard for Joe Dante. So I'm going to try to either go light on a number of them and just skip some as well, and then also maybe come back just in passing to some of the cameos as they turn up. But the star, and I mean, really this is this is a picture that has a trio of leads. But Top Build anyway, is Dennis Quaid playing Tuck Pendleton?
Speaker 3: What a name?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the names are pretty great. Tuck Pendleton is the you can guess he is like a test pilot. He would be at home in Top Gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's definitely. Look, kid, me couldn't get much cooler than this actor in this role. I mean, yeah, he in all the worst ways too. I think as an adult, I'm a little bit repulsed by his demeanor, his swagger. But as a kid, this was eighties cool. With a little bit of reflection, I can see what a rip on Tom Cruise this, this delivery is, and it really seems like it's trying. He's trying for a Maverick type thing, almost Maverick and Iceman merged together to be a competent pilot who is also just a big jerk as well.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I didn't even think about the Top Gun connection, about this being a riff on Top Gun. That's a film that kind of for me, it kind of stands out of time for me, like I don't necessarily think about it in connection to other projects. But now that you've pointed out, yeah, I can't unsee it.
Speaker 3: I think that you know, I made the mistake of using these films as cues for how to act in real life, which I think is a frequent eighties kid misstep. But because of the frequency of viewing of this interspace goonies Top Gun, it created a person that was very not organic to me and and stuck out like a soort of thumb whenever I would try to use it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he's not the it's not the worst role model you could latch onto as far as a lead character in an eighties picture. But yeah, he's he's obnocked right right from the get go. He's obnoxious, he's drunk, He clearly is a mess, and but he's he's portrayed as a likable man, a lovable mess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a very very kind and funny take on alcohol because he's drunk for a lot of the movie, and alcohol is his motivation in a lot of cases. He will get to it, but designs a robot to pour a drink for him and does it poorly. One of his big orders of business for Martin Short is to pour some outlcohol for him. He's really booze centered.
Speaker 1: Just drinking giant molecules of whiskey, as we'll get back to. But yeah, I mean, Dennis Quaid, this is not an actor that we really need to introduce much. I think everybody knows who Dennis Quaid is, famous leading man brother of Randy. Credits go back to the mid seventies, and he's really been in all sorts of stuff, Like it's really weird to look through his filmography, like just looking at twenty twenty four. He managed to star in the GOP Cinematic Universe film Reagan as Reagan, and he played a major role in the body horror film The Substance.
Speaker 3: Oh, I have not seen The Substance yet. I'm excited to though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't seen anither of him yet. I'm gonna I probably need to do him back to back. But yeah, his career that was full of stuff like this, Like it's a mix of genre films and mainstream dramas and comedies as well as biopicks. I think he played Jerry Lee Lewis in a biopick at one point, So yeah, it's kind of hard to pin him down. I think, for my money, when I think of Dennis Quaid films, though, I instantly think of nineteen eighty five's Enemy Mine, where it's it's Dennis Quaid Lewis gossip junior, human and alien on a strange alien world. I was always very captivated by that one.
Speaker 3: For me, it's this movie. This is the image that instantly comes to mind is his image from the poster, which is, you know, he looks very handsome. He's got a joker gran a Jack Nicholson joker grin that's maybe digitally enhanced to be a little bit bigger than it should be, and it just really sells his swagger. You know, that look on his face, the way it's on the poster really sells who he is in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, he's having a great time. Yeah all right. Our other main character that Dennis Quade's character is going to be inside of in a miniaturized form is the character Jack Putter, played by Martin Short born nineteen fifty another name that scarcely requires introduction. Martin Short is just a comedy legend.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know what to say about Martin Short, so sorry that you had me on your podcast, But he's just great. I mean, he's he's been a part of my comedic sensibility since I was very very young. In every role that he's in, from Three Amigos all the way to only Mergers in the Building, he's just fantastic and he is himself. He delivers every time, and he's a chameleon in appearance. But his sensibility, his timing, his slapstick is always very very Martin Short specific. I think my favorite role of his has got to be Jiminy Glick, a huge Click fan, and I was delighted this past year when he reprised the role and did a few more bits of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, he's one of those actors that when I when I think of Martin Short, I instantly think of those really you know, over the top in high energy characters. I think of of Glick, I think of Ed Grimley, of course, his character on Arrested Development, Jack Dorso, you know, and he's he's great at that, and he's great at those like freak out performances in a way that they are very I feel like there are very few actors I would even compare him to, like maybe you know, compare him to the likes of you know, Robin Williams or or Jim Carrey even you know where they can they can hit that level of intensity, comedic intensity. But then I would also compare him to the other two in that, especially when you look at some recent Martin Short performances, like he's he's a really strong actor, you know, he's he's really great in these smaller non comedic roles or stretches as well. And I think you really see that on Only Murders in the Building, a great TV series, obviously comedic series that doesn't take itself itself too seriously, and he's surrounded by great actors and actresses, but I am most frequently impressed by the smaller moments with his character on that show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, especially in Only Murders in the Building, I think he does a really good job of representing not just the comedic bits, but the building itself and life in the building and what it means to be at that stage of your life in that building and getting on in years, and what that means for your relationship with your family. And yeah, that's never, not never, it's rarely the focus. But when it is, or when it turned to that, it doesn't seem out of character or a stretch for him to be believable in those somber moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I don't think we see as much from him along those lines in interspace, but again, certainly in other projects, he was also really good. Recently in the series of The Morning Show, he had a small part as a disgrace director named Dick Lundy and the name sounds like a Martin short character, but it's like a really serious, like creepy kind of character, a charismatic, charming, sexual predator, sort of a guy.
Speaker 3: Wow. Going back to comparing him with Robin Williams and Jim Carrey almost called him James Carrey, Jim Carrey.
Speaker 1: I think you know it's James Now, he's son.
Speaker 3: That's right. I think he the roles the characters that he creates, and I think this movie is a great example. You can't imagine anybody else being these characters. And that's true of Robin Williams and James Carey. You can't imagine somebody else doing the mask or ace Ventura, you know, you know. I was reading somewhere. I don't know if this is true or not, but early versions of this movie were pitched as Michael J. Fox enters the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and I think it's a good one two to show the difference in those characters in the movie. But taking that literally, what a different experience that would have been, you know what I mean? And even I'm assuming in that scenario that Michael J. Fox would be playing the Martin short role. Even if the miniaturization were reversed, it would have been a completely different read, completely different character. No shade on Michael J. Fox, of course, he's brilliant, but it would have hit completely differently, been a completely different kind of movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agreed, absolutely. All Right, get into the rest of the cast. Here we have Meg Ryan playing Lydia Maxwell. Meg Ryan born nineteen sixty one, another huge name that I think most everyone's familiar with, mostly known for. I guess her biggest successes were a handful of just highly successful rom coms of the eighties and nineties. Eighty nine's When Harry Met Sally ninety three, Sleepless in Seattle ninety eight, So You've got mail, So pretty big deal. She's been in other things, for sure. She was in nineteen eighty three's Amityville three D, for example, the one with the claw busting out of the VHS cover.
Speaker 3: Also in Top Gun. Oh well, yeah, his wife. I think I kind of feel like this is a Top Gun episode. Rob, I'm gonna do best in a Top Gun episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again, Yeah, she's great in this. We'll get into. It's an interesting role. There is an interesting love triangle in this picture that I was totally lost on me as a kid, but watching it as a grown up is just it's deeply weird. It's strange that they ever even went for all of this, even with all the restraint they show that it's a strange love triangle. Yeah, but she's great. She has great chemistry with everyone, including Dennis Quaid, who she would end up marrying after this picture.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: And spoiler, she marries his character at the end of this movie.
Speaker 3: So I got I got a lot to say about that. That guest list is wild.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it feels like a rap party.
Speaker 3: We'll get back all right.
Speaker 1: Now, getting into the many, many villains of this picture, We'll start with the villain that we eventually are introduced to, and that is a Victor Scrimshaw played by Kevin McCarthy, who of nineteen fourteen through twenty ten American actor nominated for an Oscar for his performance in the nineteen fifty two adaptation of Death of a Salesman, but I think known to many out there for his just wonderful paranoid performance in nineteen fifty six is Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The original Black and white One, also perhaps known to many of you for his role in eighty nine's UHF. I assume I don't remember who he played in UHF. I'm assuming it was a villain, like a studio TV studio villain of some sort.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't recall. That's maybe we'll do UHF next time, Rob, that's such a great movie that it's been way too long since I've seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Clearly though, Kevin McCarthy was a favorite of Joe Dante's because some of his other credits include The Howling the Burbs Piranha. He also pops up in nineteen ninety one's Eve of Destruction. That's one that I never saw, but saw the trailers for all the time. It has like a killer lady terminator in it.
Speaker 3: I remember him most specifically from The Distinguished Gentleman, the Eddie Murphy movie from nineteen ninety two, where great premise, Eddie Murphy runs for Congress using he has the same name as a deceased congress person and uses the fact that nobody knows whether the congressman died or not to get elected.
Speaker 1: But that I have never heard of this movie.
Speaker 3: Amazing premise. Yeah, great, it's pretty fun movie, pretty fun movie. It's part of that Eddie Murphy era with Boomerang early nineties, but another great movie. But Kevin McCarthy plays a seasoned congress person who knows the grift very well, kind of takes Eddie Murphy under his wing and shows him how to how to grift in in the right way, which is to say, the political way.
Speaker 1: All right, No, that it sounds for fun.
Speaker 3: Really slimy guy. McCarthy plays him really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is. He's really good at playing a slimy villain, all right. Other villains include his kind of partner in crime. Here is doctor Margaret Kanker. Canker played by Fiona Lewis born nineteen forty six, British actress who we've discussed on the show before because she was in nineteen seventy two's Doctor Phibes Rises Again starring Vincent Price, and her other credits include sixty seven's To Fearless Vampire Killers, seventy three's Blue Blood with Oliver Reed, the nineteen seventy four Dracula starring Jack Palance, seventy five Listomania, seventy seven's Tintoria, Killer Shark, seventy eight's The Fury and eighty three Strange Invaders. This was her last film role before her retirement.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I wasn't familiar with her, but I felt like I was. She looked so familiar, her performance was so familiar to me, but I could not place it even through an IMDb. I couldn't remember what she stood out me from. But fantastic role, fantastic performance, and just something It's gonna nag me until the day I die. What I remember it from?
Speaker 1: All Right? The next villain, Oh, this is This is the one of the big ones, if not the biggest one. This is the one I think everyone remembers. This is mister Igo played by Oh they always intimidating. Vernon Wells born nineteen forty five Australian actor, best known for playing heavies for that like signature mug of his and he's played some really iconic ones.
Speaker 3: He's he's bad news. Yeah, he's just in this movie in particular, the most fun kind of bad news, but menacing without all right, there are a few tells that he had, like really specific tells through the movie, but most of it is just the aura that he brings to the screen. He's he's a menace. He's one to watch out for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll discuss like his character is probably one of the better sort of terminator esque villains, like a spin on terminator without going too hard on the terminatorness, you know, like, yeah, he's not really a cyborg, but he's got like this cool prosthetic hand and I was always like all in unprosthetic hand villains at this at this age when I was a kid, you know, And this guy's got all sorts of cool gadgets.
Speaker 3: He does feel like more of a little stinker in his actual actions than than he is a terminator that will end your life even Yeah, that's always the threat whenever he's around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he'll also just pop a clowns balloon for no reason except that he hates fun. So yeah, Wells, Vernon Wells, he had some great roles. He played Wez that's the mohawk, the mohawk guy in eighty one's The Road Warrior. He was the Lord General in eighty five's Weird Science, and then a big one. He's he's been it, the guy with the mustache and commando amazing. He's the one that he kills laughs because he likes him the most. I can't I can never remember how that that's right. But yeah, his Australian TV credit go back to the mid seventies and he's one of these guys that remains highly active in genre pictures. He's got like, you know, like three dozen upcoming projects. That's sort of cheez. Yeah. So he's great. But then we're not done with the villains. We also have one more and it's another very memorable one, and it is the Cowboy, played by Robert Picardo born fifty three, frequently cast by Joe Dante in a variety of roles. He gets to play a bad guy here, though with plenty of comedic elements, and I just have to say an accent of unknown origin. I have no idea what they were going for here. I think it's inoffensive because I have no idea, like what part of the globe it's supposed to be. Like, I always thought he was maybe supposed to be Russian, but I don't know. I saw some write ups online where people make arguments for other corners of the world.
Speaker 3: You know you're gonna get mad at me, rob But this is exactly like the bad Guy Meg Fighters and Top Gun, where they're from somewhere else. They're not gonna tell you what they're from because they don't want to get at that country upset. But they're just kind of other, you know. I think that in Robert's case, this accent is either super offensive or engineered to be as inoffensive as possible, because it could not be real and could not harken to any specific existing accent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then on top of that, he has this like old Hollywood cowboy persona that he has completely taken on. So he's always wearing the cowboy boots, often on the other bells and whistles as well. It's it's a fun and perplexing villain role.
Speaker 3: He's I kept having to remind myself that he was a villain. He doesn't seem villainous. Most of his scenes are pretty silly, and I keep I kept having to remind myself of what he was there to do, yes, and why they needed to stop him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is. The plot is fairly complex, but basically he represents a buyer for stolen technology. We don't know exactly who he's representing, but he's the bag man, right, He's the guy with the money.
Speaker 3: He's just going to go out and dance when he's in town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's also going to party. He's he's up to like sleep with any of the leads of this picture, like it doesn't matter to him. But yeah, he doesn't really do anything bad. I don't think he tries to kill anybody, right, He's.
Speaker 3: No, he's pretty pretty silly guy. Uh, just good at his job. I guess we don't really see that, but we're told that he's good at his job, and he seems pretty confident all things, you know, considered. He's a pretty confident guy who knows himself, knows what he likes and pursues it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, Pagardo is a familiar face I think to film and TV viewers in general because on the TV front, he was on The Wonder Years, or he had some roles on The Wonder Years, and he wasn't I don't think he was main cast. He's in China Beach, Star Trek Voyager of course, and Stargate and then films. You know, we have The Howling We all total recall he was Johnny Cabb in nineteen ninety and he's also part of the cast of twenty sixteens Cohen Brothers, The Coen Brothers film Hail Caesar, but that has everybody in it, so I don't know that we really need to single him out for that. But yeah, he's always a terrific presence, fun act.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a big, big fan of his from Star Trek and Total Recall of course, probably my favorite movie of all time. But a role that was created for him, the Johnny Cabb, I believe, was molded in his image before he was even signed on to the project. They wanted him to be the Johnny Cab that badly.
Speaker 1: You take Johnny Cab out of that picture, the whole thing falls apart too.
Speaker 3: It truly is the glue.
Speaker 1: All right. And then the final main character supporting character I guess really i'll mention is Wendy Shall, who plays a character named Wendy. This is Jack's co worker at the grocery. Born nineteen fifty four. I'm mentioning her mainly because she was in Creature for eighty five, an alien knockoff that Joe and I discussed on Weird House Cinema here. She did a lot of TV, but her later film credits include Oh, nineteen eighty seven's Munchies. It's a Gremlin's knockoff a Gromlins movie. You got batteries not included. Eighty nine is The Burbs, and she did a lot of TV as well, X File six Feet under Star Trek Voyager, and she's also done a lot of voice acting for a family guy in American Dad.
Speaker 3: Great job here too, being she does a lot with a little doesn't have a ton of screen time, but you really get a vibe of exactly who she is from very few lines and just kind of her presence and reaction to things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Now, on the effects end of things, this was a big industrial light and magic special effects movie, so it involved just an army of talented professionals and it won an OSCAR in nineteen eighty eight for Best Special Effects, beating out Predator. So Predator versus Interspace Interspace wins clearly. So, yeah, an army of people involved here.
Speaker 3: It's no surprise this is a really well done movie effects wise, and that you don't notice half of the effects that are happening. They're so organic. Particularly for me, anytime he's inside the body or we're seeing inside the body, I'm not even clocking that as an effect. Most of the time, there are a few set pieces inside of the body that are tremendous, and we've got to talk about those. But for the most part, you just kind of believe that he's inside of body and that he's on the other side of an ear or an eye, and you know, you don't clock the amount of work, or I don't clock the amount of work that's going into creating an effect like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought the effects held up really well. This is not a film where I felt like I saw any wires, any scenes. You know, it all holds up extremely well, so, you know, well deserving of that. Oscar Dennis Murren was the visual effects supervisor for ILM and I also mentioned in passing that Rob Boteen I'm born nineteen fifty nine, a special makeup effects designer and creator on this picture. He was involved in a lot of you know, squirmy and drippy special effects pictures, the likes of Squirm, the Howling, the Thing, RoboCop and Total Recall.
Speaker 3: So he made the worm face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he was involved in the worm face. I didn't get a chance to look up exactly what he did on this picture, but I obviously I highly suspect that it is the morphing the face morphing Seine that we'll get into, because that's one of those that is it's not grotesque unless you stop and really look at it, and then you start really, oh this is this is grotesque.
Speaker 3: But there's one that there are two big morph scenes that I that I have in mind, and one of them is a full blown you can see that that is an effect set piece.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh, that's the remorph.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, yes, the full head goes on for a long time. But just there are scenes with Martin Short's mouth work where it's just his mouth and it's Martin Short. It's not a prosthetic, it's not you know, a stand in dummy head where it's just remarkable, how believable an effect like that is?
Speaker 1: All right? And then finally the music. It's a Jerry Goldsmith score who lived nineteen twenty nine through two thousand and four, film music legend. His other scores, of course, include the likes of Grimlins and Alien from nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 3: Amazing and great stuff here. I think even right from the jump the synth and the opening credits is incredible.
Speaker 1: Let's get into those opening credits because this is. I did remember the opening credits from because this one really blew my mind as a kid, because you go into innerspace, you're expecting all that, you know, the beautiful inner wonders of a micro world, and that is where we are. But as we zoom out, we realize we've just been inside cocktail Ice for the whole opening of the credits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a tremendous effect. I think it's really really well done and not really a trick either, because it shows you the molecular level of what a glass of ice would be. You just you're kind of entranced by the pre science of it all.
Speaker 1: And we realized that this cocktail Ice is at some sort of a party, some sort of a formal get together of military test pilots. There's cake there, models of planes there, a bunch of a very top gun s test pilot dudes. And then in to the fray enters Lieutenant Tuck Pendleton. This is our main character, and he is again already completely wasted. A big embarrassing scene follows where he falls through a table. He gets into a fight with the other flyboys in the kitchen, and clearly he has a number of monkeys on his back here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The one thing that stood out to me during this sequence is the fight choreography inside the kitchen. This is another thing like it didn't need to be a well choreographed fight, but it actually is well blocked. It's tight. There is interesting action happening here. It could just be this drunk guy pushes off a couple of guys, get subdued, and Lydia takes him home. But it's more than that. It's an actual interesting action sequence that doesn't really have a lot of business in this movie. And you see that happening a few more times throughout the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the stunt team knew they weren't going to have many fisticuff scenes, so they were going to really sell them yeah when they had them. So we also see Lydia Maxwell. This is Meg Ryan's character. She is his girlfriend, I believe, but she's also a reporter. I don't know if she is here as a reporter or as his girlfriend, but she kind of serves in both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like there's an estrangement here, so I think it's a former girlfriend. I'm not sure how recent the formerness is, whether it's a fresh breakup, or an on again, off again relationship, but this embarrassment, her responsibility for him from this embarrassment. Maybe that's just a gesture of kindness to everybody else in the room of being I'm the one who can get him out of this situation, or more of a responsibility of this is my date and I need to get him out of here. There's definitely a strong connection between the two and Tuck we see in the next scene kind of wishes that it were more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So she drags Tud back to his pad, and this is you know, is you're figuring out who these characters are, it becomes really apparent that this is his place, this is not their place, because there are photos of SR. Seventy one Blackbirds on the walls. There's also all this bunny memorabilia that's going to make a lot more sense here in a little bit. There's a Santa Claus on the desk, so you know, holiday movie confirmed, or is this guy's pad just so sloppy that there's a Sanda up year round?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, And right in the middle of the apartment on the table, huge nineteen eighties robotic arm and anybody who was alive during the eighties knows exactly what this robot arm is. It's got one hinge and it's got a pincher as it's hand. It's meant to pinch things, pick them up, move them somewhere else, and release the pinch here. He's got it built to pick up a bottle of booze, turn it over to pour it into a glass. He does it poorly, or whoever's controlling this robot does it poorly, obviously meant to convey that Tuck's doing a bad job of it, probably because he's wasted. But somebody on this team is really good at articulating a robot an eighties robot arm, because you see it happen a few more times throughout the movie, and it's done very elegantly every other time.
Speaker 1: Now, would would this have been before the or after the nes arm that played the Little Spin Top game?
Speaker 3: Oh? So, this would have been after the Robotic Operating Buddy rob for the Nintendo Entertainment System, where it's a similar thing. You had to use the controller to make the robot pick up a spinning gyro and drop it onto either a red button or a blue button, which would affect the level on the screen. That you are trying to play and allow your guy to pass through. Terrible game, terrible concept, but I think similar idea of, hey, we're supposed to be a robotic society at this point, we'd better start acting like it and developing all of these things that were just clunky executions of what a robotic society would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that energy is very strong in this picture for sure. So they get settled in for the evening and in more or less we're picking up the next morning because that's when Cabby Dick Miller a frequently mentioned actor on Weird House Cinema because he pops up in everything. I think he has popped up in more films than than than than any other actor that we've covered here on the show. But he's there as a Cabby to pick Lydia up in the morning. She is trying to sneak out, leave a note and leave Tuck behind forever. And we get this, we get this, you know, comedic but but very very hunky scene where Tuck comes out wearing only a towel and he's going to try and talk her out of leaving. The towel gets stuck in the door. Cab rides off, towel goes with the cab full backside exposed. Yeah, so there's there's a lot more beefcake in the picture than I remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a really really hunky scene. A lot of hunks in this movie, a lot of honky activity, and even Martin Short gets to participate in and be a hunk a little bit later. One thing I think it's important to point out here is that Lydia did try to leave the night before and a drunk Tuck blocked her exit. So big red flag there does it casually, which shows again what a lithario this guy is and maybe gives a little bit of insight into his character. But he, either for concern for his well being or because he is such a wooer, plays the old timy song Cupid for Lydia, which I guess is their song, and that convinces her maybe to stay the night. I don't know that that's what does it, but to your point, we see her leaving the next morning and trying to get away for good, so it at least satisfied what Tuck was trying to get at that night. But the song Cupid comes back into play a little.
Speaker 1: Bit later yes, that one will be important. Now at this point we switch over to our other main character, because here we have Jack Putter played by Martin Short, in to see his doctor, and this is some pretty fun character work with the guy playing the doctor is William Shallart who lived nineteen twenty two through twenty sixteen, who did a lot of TV shows. But basically we catch on pretty quickly that Putter is a hypochondriac that's coming in all the time. It's clearly dealing with a lot of very serious anxiety issues regarding his work. And he starts telling this story about what this nightmare he keeps having that he's very concerned about, in which he is hideously overcharging this woman at the checkout register at the grocery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the doctor's prognosis or prescription to this grocery store clerk is you should simply go on a vacation. Yeah, you should simply go on a lavish vac cation. Which how times have changed. Really that that's just that's the that's the direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this guy's having a mental health crisis, like at this point, like he's he he is having a very hard time and it's just like here's a prescription for a trip to Mexico.
Speaker 3: Right, you can probably afford it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So you know at this point, okay, the pieces, the main pieces are on the table concerning our protagonists. But then we got to get into the real plot. How are we going to get miniaturization involved here? So we pick up with Silicon Valley dudes stuck in traffic discussing a project. We have one of the guys from the Top Gun Academy graduation thing earlier, and it's there he's like, well, who have you hired to pilot this prototype or whatever? And they're like, oh, we got Tuck Pendleton. We hear he's great, And this dude's like, that doesn't sound too great for me to me, Tuck Pimpleton, not a great get for whatever you do we're doing here. And then we kind of like fast forward a bit and then here's here's Tuck Pendleton getting ready to jump into the We don't know yet it's going to be a pod of some kind, but he's getting himself amped up with slaps to the face as well as as well as with a fair amount of inappropriate coworker flirting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really strange the way that he walks in, I believe one of the scientists or tech workers kisses him on the cheek. He doubles back and does a full blown mouth kiss with her. Just a real again, the Fario level of swagger coming into this test pilot job. You know, while the Silicon Valley dudes were arguing in the car, he was defending Tuck as being somebody who did his homework and can do the job. And you see that, Like, that's the duality that we get with him, is that he is a mess in every other realm of his life, but he's a good test pilot. He might be a drunk test pilot, but he's a good test and he reinforces that kind of on his walk in, and once he gets into mind is down to business. He knows exactly the right questions to ask, the right things to check. He's the voice of authority.
Speaker 1: And it becomes clear pretty quickly that what they're about to do is he's going to get in this pod that is pretty really cool looking, looks like a cross between a submarine and some spaceship, and they're going to miniaturize him and inject him into a rabbit. Now, one would assume that this is there have been multiple phases before this that they have tests, you know, unmanned miniaturization, that they have tested manned miniaturization, and they've also injected miniaturized objects into test animals, and that now we're only finally getting to the point where they're going to send in human being into a rabbit. But who knows, maybe they're just really having to push this project along and this is just test number one. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is where we learned reason that rabbits were so prominent in his apartment, and I get it, but all the rabbit stuff in his apartment was like a fan of rabbits, not somebody who's studying rabbits intensely. It's somebody who like bugs. Bunny is in there and things like that. And so this guy likes rabbits a lot more than he really needs to to perform his scientific role of being inside of a rabbit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's researching at the wrong scale.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Now, I do really love these scenes where he's getting into the cockpit of the pod. I think feel like this is all really well done. It has a great textured and believable NASA feel to it.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, it's a very busy, very eighties in the sense that it feels cramped. There's so much machinery on top of itself, and the space is not you know, a designer friendly lab, which I think you'll see a contrast to that later on in the movie, but here it just seems like these guys are scientists. They're bleeding edge R and D. And then once you see the space that the pod is in, it's Mylar city in the best way. There's that gold Nasa milar wrapping the entire room. All of the reflections off of that mylar are heightening the effect. It's really really perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can get and then inside and outside you have like all these pixelated computer screens, video feeds. I feel like there are more robot arms and whatever robot arms are up to. So yeah, it all feels very real. Love the look of all of this, and I feel like it's aged really well and in a way that's something that non analog wouldn't have, you know, if it was all touch screens and you know, next generation stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a little bit of what you could arguably say as a Hokier design tactic or effects tactic. That has lights superimposed on the pod while it's being miniaturized. It looks a little bit and off compared to all of the other effects work that's going on, but again it works. It's in that milar space. It's supposed to be crackling and electrifying, similar to how the DeLorean does right before it's about to jump through time, and so it works. It's just a little bit lower five than some of the other stuff we see, and they.
Speaker 1: Seem to pull it off. They spin the thing around in a centrifuge. They shrink it down to size. Now the pod is this tiny speck inside of a syringe. They use a magnification effect to take a look at it. The lead doctor does. But you know that something is going to shake things up, and that takes the form of an attack by gas mask wearing goons. They come in with an acid key card to like short out the lock, and they're clearly trying to take over the operation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The thing I love about this takeover is that they got these gas masks, but they're not flooding the space with gas. They're using a fire extinguisher type device to point the gas set. Somebody shoot a blast of gas directly at them so that only that person is knocked out by it, which is genius, Like, yeah, that's how gas warfare would be, should be. I am not advocating for gas warfare, but I were, that's how you would do it.
Speaker 1: They have a pretty non violent approach, like they're clearly trying to cut down on casualties, though they do punch a few people, which seems uncalled for if you have those great gas cannons on hand. But still they quickly take over things, and this is where we first see Fiona Lewis's doctor Kinker taking control of the computers. There.
Speaker 3: That's right. Clearly the bad guys have invaded this space, but I did it did occur to me at this moment. Were the other guys the good guys? I don't know what the purpose of this project was. They don't really state what they're going to do after they've successfully completed the Rabbit project, but we're just supposed to assume that their intentions were good. These guys' intentions were bad. And I think you know, I mentioned that Gremlins was trying to tell you a message in this movie is not Maybe this movie is trying to tell you a message about early Silicon Valley tech espionage and that it's really just bad guys versus bad guys, and it's a question of which one are you rooting for.
Speaker 1: I did have a fun time trying to piece together like the intended endpoint for this research, and we can we can kind of feel it out a little bit by seeing the capabilities of the pod. So the pod allows the pilot to ultimately see and hear through the host and or communicate with them, though I guess that that's not necessary, and then also deliver a powerful electromagnetic pulse that can like destroy electronics within a short term radius. And so it seemed to me I was like, Okay, I can imagine that this is building up maybe to having a human pilot a rat into a sensitive environment and then set off that pulse, or of course, ultimately to some extent, like is planting a spy inside of a human being and potentially doing that electromagnetic pulse elsewhere. But oh then we see other capabilities that shake things up even more, which we'll get do later.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it's probably says more about me than it does about the movie. But every application of this technology, I could think of was a really dark and depressing one that used another living being as a vessel to achieve something via a smaller human being inside of that vessel that might be small enough to escape whatever situation it's putting the larger vessel into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they kind of They definitely allude to these espionage applications, but they never even once hint at a medical application, not directly. I mean, there are a couple of jokes, but for the most part, Yeah, the idea that you would have a little submarine inside of person is not even explored. Is a medical breakthrough here?
Speaker 3: Well, Tuck casually turns Putter into we're getting ahead of ourselves, but he casually turns them into like a superhuman. Yeah, because it's convenient for that scene. So the technology is very easy to do once you're in there, apparently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once you're inside at that scale, you can do anything you want, change faces up, cure diseases, I guess, but also make computers explode, and that seems to be the prime focus here. All Right, So what happens? Okay, so we have the ministure I sub it's in a syringe. They were going to inject it into the rabbit. But then all hell breaks loose. The doc, the main doctor here, escapes with the syringe, and then our villain, doctor Canker, calls for mister Igo to chase after him. So we get this big car bike chase, a number of big chase scenes that take place in the picture. On all heads to the mall and hey, that is where Jack is trying to book relaxing vacation, and I think you know where all this is going to come together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just got to say, this car chase on the freeway again, way more elaborate, way more action packed, way more elegant than it needs to be. It could have been a quick shot that gets you to the mall, but it's really fun. And there are convertibles, there are this is actually happening on a busy freeway. It's really really exciting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, we get to the mall, Mister I goes using He's is the finger gun, which I remember just thinking was super cool when I was a kid, This crazy robot hand of his that he can make the make the finger guns and then actually fire the finger gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very inspector gadgety in the way that the tip of the finger kind of comes off to reveal the gun. But I mean, aside from that, like malls, this mall in particular, this is the height of malls at nineteen eighty nine. You know, you get not just a really busy, active, vibrant mall. You get one that's got mascots walking around, giving away or selling balloons, a lot of strange things happening for the scientist and mister Igo to disrupt from this chase, you know, they're really knocking a lot of people out of the way, ruining a lot of these mascots days. One of the mascots is a penguin who's giving away balloons to a pair of nuns, which is a very very funny visual throwaway.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, this whole sequence is feels very Joe Dante, like the bit where the doctor with the syringe. He ends up injecting Martin short in the buttock and then falls into the arms of three or four different mascots and dies and we get that hazy POV of him looking up at the mascots looming over him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Fantastic.
Speaker 1: So at this point we have miniaturized Pendleton tuck of full sized Jack Martin short and that and we're off to the race. It's like, this is the this is the plot. It's we're going to get into this whole situation of how does Pendleton make Jack aware of his presence inside him? What kind of gadgets are going to allow that to happen? And then how are they going to figure out, you know, what sort of plot is going on, and how they're going to maneuver their way out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I you know, throughout this whole. Basically from this point on, I have a tough time reconciling how big Tuck and the pod are supposed to be inside of the syringe and inside of Martin George's or Putter's body. The there are points at which the action is high and the pot is shaken around, so it's like, oh, so you must be big enough to be like moving, to be moved along by by the motions of the body. But then there are points where Tuck is so so so small that he and get through. He's at the atomic level to where he wouldn't be impacted by these other things. And this is me trying to apply my people outside and like trying to unsuspend my disbelief and pick it apart. But they do lean on just he's just small enough, Okay, They lean on you to just accept that fact and just go along for the ride. Yeah, I'm happy to do.
Speaker 1: The pod is as small or as large as the plot requires it to be. Can it be grabbed with a pair of tweezers? Yes?
Speaker 3: Can it?
Speaker 1: Can it cut its way through the wall of an artery without causing any kind of trouble inside the body? Absolutely? All right, So at this point we're gonna we're gonna proceed with like a little less attention to every little detail here, but we want to talk, certainly in broad strokes about like the central piece of technology here, the pod. I definitely want to talk about the love triangle and the big finale and any other moments that stand out to us. But yeah, the big, the big thing of about the pod, and this was something that you know I loved as a kid, is that we get like this this first contact between Tuck Pendleton and Jack where you know you can use well, For first of all, he uses a device like fires a harpoon into the inside of his eyes so that he can see out of his his eyes see what Jack sees, and then later he also uses some sort of a harpoon type device inside of his ear so that he can hear him as well. And then at that point, like Tuck Pendleton is just completely jacked into the whole system. He can do all sorts of things as we'll see. You know, he can he can adjust like is adrenaline and then ultimately change his face. One of them really in addition to the electro magnetic pulse thing, changing his face, shifting his face into the face of another person, Well, that one really up the ante here. It's like, Wow, he can do anything in there.
Speaker 3: That one is more okay. I feel like the effects of hooking into the eye looked painful, and you know that's an effects success as far as I'm concerned. Same with the ear, but those all seem like I could wrap my head around those. And then yeah, he changes his face, which it's like, I feel like you need outside pieces to do that. You're not just read or rearranging cells at that point. You know, you're trying to take on an appearance and give a hair color and a hair consistency that he doesn't or I guess he had his original hair or he had Jack's hair. Still, but it just seemed like a huge leap of technology to be able to do that, and all of a sudden Tuck knows how to do this. Yeah, this is his first voyage too, or maybe not maybe his was it his first voice?
Speaker 1: Well, he was planning for rabbits, so he should if anything, he should be okay, but not particularly experienced with shifting rabbit faces around it. But a full blown Martin short face that seems like a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he should have been able to turn the rabbit into the cowboy. Yeah, but not Jack Putter into the cowboy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's a very expressive face to change into another very expressive face. You need something a little plainer, I think for your first big hurrah.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly. I think, you know, I blame this movie as a child for my impression that I still have today, where my instinct is that there's a lot of empty space in the human body, and you can travel between the organs with you know, the same way that you're traveling between planets and the Solar System, that there's just a lot of dead space there, which is not true. Anybody who's seen a diagram of what's going on inside a human body knows how just packed together absolutely everything is. But my child mind saw the human body as spacious, well lit, lots of areas between your vital organs that you could just kind of hang out in and fly between.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's inner space, inner goop.
Speaker 3: That's right, exactly exactly, and the title yeah supports that backs that up. I will say that I don't know how big or small this pod is. I'm ready to move away from that gripe. But he's able to get around that body real fast.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Like he starts off in the buttock and is almost immediately at the optic nerves. Maybe they cut something, but maybe he also he is just like firing through those blood vessels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he gets into blood vessels and somehow is able to because it seems like a blood vessel is like a highway. Like the vessel goes to one part of your body and maybe has some off ramps on the way there, but you don't have full agency of where else to go in the body unless you kareene out of that blood vessel, which you're gonna start causing damage to your host at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does make the host uncomfortable at times. There's some related symptoms.
Speaker 3: I'm shocked that Martin Short did not display any sort of existential I mean, he had some existential dread at the beginning before he realized that there was a pod inside of him. To me, that would have just heightened the existential dread that there's now something, an actual thing inside of me that's talking to me and manipulating my body without me being able to stop it, if I, if I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Now some important plot stuff that you mentioned too, is that eventually Okay, Well, first of all, character wise, Jack and Pendleton, Jack and Tuck, they come together, they end up bonding over things like it becomes a very close relationship, not only because one is literally inside of the other, but but you know, they're they're the only people who can talk to each other, you know, they can They have this this very intimate relationship, which I think the movie does a good good job with, you know, building this relationship between the two. And then of course is ultimately going to introduce Meg Ryan's character Lydia, And then this is where we're gonna end up with this love triangle, which I have to say is one of the stranger love triangles I've ever seen, because again we have Jack in large, we have Tuck in small. She is Tuck's X. Tuck ends up essentially being like the romance whisperer for Jack, helping him to pursue his ex at the same time like he still has feelings for Lydia and they and also Lydia, I'm sorry. Also Jack and Tuck end up kind of bunding butting heads over this as well. It's it's bizarre and and and at the same time was completely lost on me as a kid. But it has to be one of the stranger love triangles I've ever seen in a picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tricky because you don't really get a clear picture of what Jack's steaks are and emotionally, and I mean you get you get the idea of his physical stakes, but you don't know he's obviously attracted to Lydia, but he's characterized as somebody who does not need a lot of convincing to help Tuck out. And sure that's motivated by the fact that Tuck is in his body and he and Tuck needs him, and maybe that is something that Jack wants as well as somebody to need him or need his help. But he's pretty willing both motivated by fear of the spies catching up to him, trying to get Tuck out of him their way, which is going to be ugly, trying to find a better way to do that, but also trying to help him, like you say, romantically convinced Lydia to trust him and to trust that Tuck needs her help as well. It's really interesting and kind of puts Jack in the middle in a way that supports kind of his warming warm he is not the right word, but the fact that people push him around on a regular basis. He's kind of being moved around as well, emotionally and not just physically the way that Tuck is doing to him with the pod. But I do think we've got a ticking clock here that we didn't speak about, which is tux oxygen is running out.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, that's the pot Tuck. You guys running out. He's eventually going to die in there if he doesn't get out right.
Speaker 3: So you've got ticking clock a which is there's these guys on your tail that you don't want them to catch you because they're happy to kill Jack to get Tuck out of him if they need to. B If you want Tuck to succeed at again, whatever he's doing, you need to get back to the Good Lab quote unquote good Lab before tucks oxygen runs out and it gets real close and then you somehow have to save Tuck and Lydia's relationship. That's the sea ticking clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we also learn that there are like two little chips that are involved in the miniaturization process. There are other groups out there who have been working on miniaturization and they can miniaturize things, but apparently relargifying things is the hard part, and that's where you need both chips. The chip that is out here in the full sized world and the chip that is now on that pod inside of Jack's body. And so that's what the bad guys want. They need to get that chip off of that pod, and as we'll learn, they'll do anything in their power to do so.
Speaker 3: So that's where Robert Piccardo comes in as the Cowboy, the agent employed to retrieve one of the chips, and their plan is to appropriate the cowboys face onto Jack's face and then infiltrate the meeting with Scrimshaw to get that chip to take back to the quote unquote Good Lab so that they can re enlarge Tuck and save.
Speaker 1: Him, right, But then at the same time already had some run ends with the Good Lab where they've overheard the good scientists saying, you know, it's actually easier if we just let him die inside of Jack's body because nobody can get to that thing. It's miniaturized. Just let it go. You know, he'll get I guess, you know, excreted one way or another from Jack's body and it'll just be lost to time. And maybe that's easier.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I gotta say, all things being equal, taking humanity out of the equation altogether, which is what these scientists are doing, that's not a bad case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially considering what mister Scrimshaw wants. We have a great later. So Drag gets abducted at least twice. I feel like it's like he's constantly escaping and re escaping and getting caught. There's one scene where mister scrimshow it's this great villain monologue about like, you know, nuclear weapons aren't theren't the future. Space is in the future. It's miniaturization. So great villain monologue there. But then we get what we also get time and time again, and a Pendleton Tuck assisted escape by Jack. So Jack's not necessarily he didn't realize when he's been trapped or see the light of the escape route. But that's where Tuck comes in. Tuck has his great gut instinct where he's like, okay, punch now, kick now, jump out of the moving vehicle now, And so you know, the movie stays in constant motion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jack gets a lot of heroic stunt opportunities to really look like like the hero, you know, and it's a lot of it's driven by Tuck, but he's the one doing it. It's not that Tuck's making his body move. Tuck's just guiding him through what to do. And that's kind of a Dumbo feather to Jack, where he's he has the confidence to actually execute on a lot of those things and he's successful at it.
Speaker 1: So at this point I don't know which thread to follow. We have more of the love triangle plot when that is propelling Jack ever closer to a sexual encounter with Lydia. It would seem though, again this is a PG film, so we're dealing in very broad strokes here, and a lot is implied and then and then we have the whole scheme to figure out what cowboy is up to. Uh. To seduce cowboy and then and then take advantage of him, and then the morphing of the face, the infiltration of the batties. Uh. And this is of course going to involve another round of chasing and escaping and everyone going after those chips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it, you know, just to quickly top line the cowboy thread, I think they realized or they learned that the cowboy goes to a Club Inferno whenever he's in town because he loves to go dancing and meet women. So they go to Club Inferno as well. That's where Jack runs into Wendy from the grocery store. Wendy sees a new bad boy side of Jack that that piques her interest. But the long story short there is that Lydia is able to seduce the cowboy bring him back to the hotel. That's where they're able to knock him out and appropriate his face to go to the meeting with Scrimshaw. That disguise starts to fall apart in the middle of that meeting. I think that the cowboy has a gold toothcap that falls out of fake Cowboy's mouth, which tips Scrimshaw off gets all of the bad guys up in arms to capture Jack. Which there's a great line in lieu of champagne. How about some real pain pro pain. I had to give it a lot of flowers for going past. How about some real pain and add another pain to the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we get some more inspector gadget Shenanigans for mister Igo because he pulls out the blowtorch. Uh, that's right, appended. Or maybe the blowtorch is just always in there as part of this Swiss army hand. But they're gonna they're like, oh, you know, the cowboy is known for his incredible pain tolerance, so let's just get an example of that here.
Speaker 3: That's right, And this is where the actual grotesque transformation scene from Cowboy face back to jackface happens. It freaks out everybody in the room. Scrimshaw's terrified, and rightly so, because it's it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. It's very well done. Because if you slow it down or watch it twice, you're like, oh, yeah, this is this seems like bouteine material right here, like this is the thing, but it is, but it's it's blurry and sped up in a very comedic Looney Tunes fashion, and that ultimately like overwhelms the horrific aspects of it, but it's very well done.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Another thing to point out, they obviously, you know, escape this this scenario, Lydia helps them escape. Jack transfers Tuck to Lydia through a French kiss, yes, which again I'm just gonna say, yeah, that works, you can do that first try. You know. While that happens, Tuck is inside Lydia's body, sees that Lydia is pregnant, presumably with his child. But the thing that gets me is that they then transferred Tuck back to Jack through another French kiss, which is like, I'm just this good at it that we can do this again. And it happened so quickly that it's like, I guess Tuck was just there at the mouth ready to go.
Speaker 1: French kisses work. French kisses are a complete exchange of all saliable content of the mouth and esophagus, right, That's.
Speaker 3: What we were warned about when we were younger.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, but again, like the whole the baby, the pregnancy, like this love triangle is very complex. Yeah, one might even argue too complex for a picture that is just trying to be a big summertime explosion of special effects. But it's one of his charms that it's all there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it is. It does serve the function of while Tuck is in Lydia's body, Jack's not necessarily aware of that yet, and he is still acting like a heroic, you know, fighter. He's knocking people out, he's, you know, doing all of the things that Tuck told him to do. Once he realizes that Tuck's not inside him, is inside Lydia, he loses that. He loses that Dumbo feather and the confidence kind of quickly.
Speaker 1: At that Dumbo feather exactly. Yeah. So all that's really well executed. But I know that those of you who grew up watching Innerspace are you've been waiting for us to get to the big showdown. The big showdown is twofold because so basically they bring captive Jack back to the bad Guy Lab, which is super sleek and very military. We'll describe their pod here minute. But of course Lydia is able to take control. She built out a handgun, but after they have already injected a new villain into Jack's body, they'll wait. At the same time, Tuck is not in Jack anymore at this point, right, Tuck is in Lydia. But they inject mister I go inside of just a frightening like military combat pod with big claws, an amazing design here. They injected that into him to go after the original pod, to get those chips and to kill Tuck.
Speaker 3: That's right. This enemy lab, it looks like the TV room from Willy Wonka's Coca factory. Of it's just all white and tons of space in contrast to the other lab, which has just stacks of machinery on top of stacks of machinery. But yeah, this this exopod, it's a suit. Whereas the you know, Tuck's in a little chair inside of a small room. It feels like this is a scuba suit that has attachments. It's a lot more menacing. Presumably this guy can whip around more quickly within the body, and he is designed to cause damage. That's what the suit is for, you know, so pretty scaring. Of course, it's all black compared to the silver white pod that that Tuck is in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's frightening, and you've got the one portal so you can have mister IGO's face, like the horrifying mug of his, like sneering through it and grinning. Yeah, terrifying pod. Enemy pod here, like a fighter pod that they have now injected into Jack, miniaturized and injected. And we get a nice bit from Scrimshaw where he turns to doctor Canker and he's like, you know, it's going to be easier if we just re enlarge him inside Jack's body afterwards, which is which is like, we never see something like that happen in the show, but just by mentioning the idea, it does bring about a certain amount of menace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. Again, take the humanity out of it, and these are all sound These are as sound ideas as any other suggestion. At this point, Lydia gets Tuck back into Jack with an intentional kiss to get him in. That's where Tuck can help Jack fight off mister Igo. Lydia also forces all of the scientists Scrimshaw and Canker into the miniaturization pod or into the miniagurization chamber and shrinks them all. Does not shrink them all to a microscopic size, which they are for the rest of the movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, so the big showdown then is twofold in the world at large. We have Jack and Lydia driving uh you know, down the highway in San Francisco, and then Scrimshaw miniaturize Scrimshaw and doctor Canker attack from the back seat, so they're wrestling them in the front and back seat. Meanwhile, inside of Jack's body on his esophagus, there is now a battle between the original pod and the new pod, between a Tuck and mister Igo. And this is just a really cool battle. I'm not saying it's like RoboCop RoboCop two level, but it's pretty great, with lots of gadget arms and cutting of robotic components, some nice back and forth.
Speaker 3: Well, and it moves to the stomach for the final blows of the scene, and that is probably my favorite set piece of the entire movie. It's this raging sea of stomach acid at the bottom. Again a ton of distance from the top of the esophagus where they enter the stomach to where the acid is. And Tuck has to get Jack's allergies. A Chekhov's gun that was introduced earlier in the movie needs to get him. I forget what he's specifically allergic to, but needs him to activate his allergies to get his stomach acid going.
Speaker 1: This is a great set piece for the finale. Here the stomach is like this. Like you said, there's a lot of space there is. It's very well lit. That's another thing about the inside of the body. You just go by innerspace and fantastic voyage. It's like a well lit nebula in there, which works. It is an inner space and so it should look like some of our most colorful visions of outer space, whereas in reality it's like that old saying, like a man's best friend outside of a book is a dog, and inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Speaker 3: It's very dark and so well and I misspoke. It's not his allergies that he needs to trigger. He stresses Jack out to the point where he gets refluxed from the ayesh yes, and that's what causes the churn to which the fight then leads mister I go down into the stomach acid where he is eaten up down to a skeleton an aka ka ka kak bones skeleton, which.
Speaker 1: Is a skeleton, and the remains the prothetic arm trying to drill through the portal of the original pod. Yeah, so good, great, great, and kill quality kill here all the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. So they get back to the good lab, they can't get Tuck out, or they can't quickly get Tuck out. The oxygen is at zero. At this point, they think they've lost all hope. Jack realizes that he's allergic to hairspray, which is the element that was introduced earlier in the movie. Is given some hairspray, sneezes Tuck out onto one of the scientist's glasses.
Speaker 1: And then they tweezer it. They tweezeerr it, and they get it back into the chamber. They resize him, they re enlarge him, and we get our big happy ending, which is of course a wedding in true Shakespearean fashion. We end with a lavish wedding. But who's going to be married, Well, we know who's going to be married, right, It's going to be tucking Lydia.
Speaker 3: It's tucking Lydia. Jack is the best man, which again just met these guys, but they've been through a lot together, so I kind of understand that. What I don't understand is why Wendy is at the wedding. Don't understand why mister Wormwood, the boss at the grocery store, is at the wedding. What I don't understand is why the doctor who prescribed the vacation for Jack is at the wedding. This is not Jack's wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the jerky military guy is there, apparently with his son. It's this. The events of this film just brought everyone together into this like tight knit community, this tight knit family, in ways that are perhaps a little inexplicable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so it seems like a happy ending, but not quite. We see that the cowboy is the limo driver, and that I believe Scrimshaw and Margaret are inside of the suitcase. Yes, and are being placed into the trunk. So they're driving off on their happy wedding honeymoon drive down a twisty mountain road, and Jack realizes that the job's not done and he needs to help them out.
Speaker 1: That's right. Oh, and we also find out that Tuck has the chips, the very coveted dangerous technology chips are his cufflings. So they set up a sequel here that of course never happened. But I remember at the time as a kid, I just thought, if you set up a sequel like this, it will happen. It's going to happen. I feel like I spent spent a fair amount of time just assuming Interspace too was coming right down the pipe, and then it was coming up next never happened.
Speaker 3: I kind of love the and then the adventures continued layer of it. I wish that more franchise films took that under advisement. I think it's okay to say Indiana Jones went on more adventures after this one, and that, you know what, I don't really need to show you what the last one is or the second to last one is, or continue that storyline if I don't want to. Sometimes it's fun to just say. And their lives continued to be that exciting, and so I agree with you. I think that there was this left a door opened to a sequel, and there seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm for that. Maybe the box office return diminished that hope, but I kind of like it where it is, where if the job's not done, they're still gonna have more fun. This guy's life has been inexplicably changed for and put on a different path that he didn't choose, but he's gonna roll with it. You know, he's a different person now, and I kind of really like that for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's like, I think it's great you have to set up these sequels that never happened. As long as you told a complete story, you put everything on the table, then I'm fine with just sort of dreaming about what else could have been possible. And this is a film that does leave everything on the table and busts out all of its tricks. So yeah, I don't feel like they held anything back with inner Space. They just left that window open to potentially dream up innerspace too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very strict. I mean, it's such a bizarre fever dream of an ending scene where all of the characters from the movie are invited to the wedding of somebody who most of the characters have never met, and then all of the bad guys are also at the wedding in disguise to attack these two characters. After the wedding, what are they going to do to Tug? I guess they're good they I guess they know about the cup leakes.
Speaker 1: Yep, somebody's gonna get minurized again. It's they're gonna be Shenanigan's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great time twist in the night away takes us into the credits. The credits are actually a pretty tight credit roll where you're not it's not ten minutes long. It's like a good three to five minutes credits twist AND's playing the entire time and then you're out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's inner space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fun, fun time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really enjoyed revisiting this one, and I feel like it largely held up. Yeah, you know, it was still very entertaining today. The effects were tremendous, performances were great. You know, you never know exactly what it's going to be like going back to a film from you know, the nineteen eighties, mid nineteen eighties and see how everything lands. But yeah, this was a fun one. Good pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, this one for me, it like we were saying at the top, it's stitched into my memory of being a certain age because of how much I saw it at that age, and even though I did drop out a significant chunk of it from my memory, a lot of it took me back into that spare bedroom at my grandmother's house, sitting and watching it on a tiny TV. And to that point, it's not just the nostalgia of that viewing it holds up. It's fun. I'm having the same kind of fun that I was having back then watching it again.
Speaker 1: All Right, Dave Boy, As we begin to lead out here, let's talk Talking Tofu for a minute here in case listeners don't remember from last time, tell us a little bit about what Talking Tofu is and tell us what has come out recently in the podcast and what's coming out in the future.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, So Talking Tofu is myself and my co host slash wife Becky Streepy. We're both vegans and we felt like there's not a lot of fun vegan content out there. Some of the stuff that you see about being vegan can be kind of hard handed in the way that it convinces you of the value and the virtue of adopting a different lifestyle, whereas we don't really think about that much on a day to day basis. We just have a lot of fun with it. We love food, we love eating food, we love trying new food, we love crusting out on junk food, and so our podcast is a lot of that. It's us trying new things, trying new foods. Usually each episode we'll talk about some takeout or a restaurant that we went to, whether it's in town or on one of our travels. We travel quite a bit, and we'll usually try a new snack on the pod, and then we'll spend the other seventy percent of the time talking about whatever BS has happened to us that week, whatever show we watched that week, what movies were into. We just talked about Wicked at length, which we both saw in the theater and loved it and has a very strong pro animal message unintentionally, I think, but just a lot of fun some of the stuff that we've talked about lately. We just went to Disneyland reas and did a round up of all the vegan snacks and food you can eat at Disneyland in and around those parks. We've traveled to Vegas recently, did a couple of trips to Vegas and a few Vegas episodes. We are traveling this weekend to New York City. Probably come out with a New York City roundup. Obviously will not be comprehensive, as there are lots of vegan options in New York City, but just kind of a rundown of what we did while we were up there, and again we're just having fun and keeping it light and showing that it's fun to be vegan. So yeah, that's that's, that's what we're up to.
Speaker 1: All right, that's talking to That's t a l k I n Apostrophe TOFU podcast. That's right, So look that up. You can find that wherever you get your episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we gotta get you on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anytime. All right, all right, we're gonna gohe and close out this episode. But I'll just remind everyone out there that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form episodes on Wednesdays and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about weird films on Weird House Cinema, and if you want a full list of the movies we've covered over the years, you can find them on letterboxed. Our user name there is weird House. Got a nice list there, so you can just dive in there and see what we've chatted about in the past. As always, thanks to the great JJ Possway for producing and editing the show, stitching everything together and making it sound right. And if you want to reach out to me, to Joe, to JJ, or if you want to reach out to Dave, I'll shoot that on todave as well. That you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows