Speaker 1: Broadcasting from the Hip Hop Weekly Studios. I'd like to welcome you to another episode of Civic Cipher, where our mission is to foster allyship, empathy and understanding. I'm your host, Ramses job.
Speaker 2: He is Ramsy's job. I am qboard and you are tuned into Civic Scipher.
Speaker 1: And we have a very special guest in the studio with us today. She goes by the name of Denise d Resnik. She is the founder and president slash CEO of First Place a Z, co founder of the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center, and founder and CEO of DRA Collective, a marketing slash communications firm that serves clients in a variety of fields including real estate, economic development, healthcare, education, and hospitality. Today, we are using her decades of experience with autism to discuss neurodivergence in bipop communities and what happens at that intersection. So welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you and thank you for allowing me to be here. And actually the most important part of my title is being a mom. I'm the mother of two amazing children. Our thirty three year old son has autism, profound autism, and that's what brings me to this work.
Speaker 1: Okay, fantastic. Well, we are going to be having a conversation about, you know, what happens again at that intersection of neurodivergence and being a person of color, and you know, maybe some of the cracks in society that neurodivergent people might fall into, and how that could be even more problematic for people of color, you know, and we're talking about how individuals might get in trouble at school or have to interact with police, or you know, have problems you know, getting housing and things like this, and again how much more problematic that is if you're a person of color versus if you're a white person. So that and so much more. But before we get there, we are going to, as always, start things off with some Ebony.
Speaker 2: Excellence, shall we?
Speaker 1: I think we shall.
Speaker 2: This week's Ebny excellence brought to you by Actively Black, which I am actually wearing today. There is greatness in our DNA. Visit actively black dot com. This story is from Black Information Network. Maryland Governor Wes Moore is pardoning one hundred and seventy five thousand low level marijuana convictions. In an interview with The Washington Posts, Moore announced that he was making the mass pardon on Monday, June seventeenth, ahead of Juneteenth. The pardons will affect, I'm sorry, roughly one hundred thousand people charged with the low level marijuana possession. More described the mass pardon as and a quote far reaching and aggressive end quote executive action amid the growing legalization of marijuana. According to the American Civil Liberties Union, black Americans are three times more likely to be arrested on marijuana charges than their white counterparts. More said criminal records from marijuana charges have been used to deny housing, employment, and education to people even after their sentences have been served.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: I'm aesthetic that we have a real opportunity with what I'm signing to write a lot of historical wrongs. More said, if you want to be able to create inclusive economic growth, it means you have to start removing these barriers that continue to disproportionately sit on communities of color and quote. Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown said in the statement that pardons were and I quote certainly long overdue as a nation and a racial equity issue. It's pretty powerful, man, and probably long overdue in a lot of other places, not just in Maryland.
Speaker 1: And Wesmore really shows kind of the importance of voting in local elections. It shows the importance of letting, you know, the people closest to the problem, you know, explain the solutions, because you know, as they say, the people closest the problem are often closest to the solutions. And you know, to see what he's doing with his leadership role is amazing. So all right, so first things first, I need to paint a little bit of a picture here. I have a cousin. My cousin's name is Asher, and Asher was this bright little baby boy. I'm a lot older than Asher, and you know, he was so much fun when he was little. And you know, Asher, it ended up we ended up finding out later that he had autism. And you know, my uncle and my aunt they fortunately they had some resources they were able to to deal with that. They were able to take the time and to invest and to get you know, early involvement from professionals and so forth and so on. And we realized that that story, for especially for a black family, a family of color, is more the exception than the rule. And you know, one of the things that sort of brought me to you, Denise, is how involved his parents were and indeed how involved our family is with kind of taking care of each other, we learned. So let me back up a bit. My grandmother she ended up having a stroke before she passed away, and she was committed to a place where I think where they just commit people that have they're like recovering from these like really traumatic whatever. In her case, it was a stroke, and so there was a lot of older people in the place, and it just kind of looked like an old folks home. And I know that it wasn't that, but that's how it looked. Now, my grandmother had six kids and all, and there were five girls and one boy, and all those kids had kids, So my grandmother had a lot of grandkids, and she changed everybody's diapers, right, So when the time came for her to need to be changed, far be it from us to just simply ship her off to a place and let some strangers deal with it. Especially because she had that stroke, she could no longer speak. There was an air bubble on the language centers of her brain. So we decided, you know what, she changed all of us, we can change her, right, and we and to be fair, We let the professionals do what they did, but my grandmother. The point is, my grandmother was never left in that facility alone by herself, and as a result, we were on a schedule to make sure that she was cared for and whatever family members were always there twenty four to seven, and that was just to keep a watchful eye over her. But what I found when I visited First Place was that a lot of the pressure was off. It seemed like a great place. So talk to us a little bit about First.
Speaker 3: Place, sure, And I think I'll start, if it's okay, with talking a little bit more about autism, because there may be some listeners who may be questioning some of the behaviors of their children, and awareness is very important. When our son was diagnosed thirty one years ago, the instance of autism was one in twenty five hundred. Today one and thirty six children across the country are being diagnosed with autism. Well, and we know that our white families are often getting diagnosed before they enter school. We know that our families and individuals of color are too often getting diagnosed at school where they see the behaviors. And so it's really important that we have greater awareness about what is autism. Autism is a neuro biological disorder in our son's case, is making him making it very difficult for him to communicate, both expressively as well as receptively. Early on, we saw the eye contact, but then he lost that eye contact and we didn't understand why. We thought perhaps he was going deaf, and he had a lot of gi issues and sensitivity issues where he would put his little hands over his ears because the music was too loud even though we were playing it softly, or different pitches were bothersome to him. He continues to wear those headphones because he is hyper sensitive, or some individuals could be hypo sensitive, so not as sensitive to pain or to sensory issues. And so it's really important to understand those signs. And we've done a really good job the past few decades of helping those pediatricians get it right, helping them understand those early warning signs along with our school teachers to make sure that kids can be diagnosed early. And what is happening now is there's an unprecedented rate of children with autism transitioning to adulthood, some who had early intervention, some who did not, some who have been you know, we've been investing in in their schools or families. You know, this early intervention, this insurance that covers some of the early intervention too. And once the school bus stops coming, there's a cliff, and these kids slide backwards at a far greater rate than other disability groups. And if someone's not making you, requiring you to talk in full sentences, or you don't have the same structure of a day, you might see more behavioral issues. And we can't forget puberty. Puberty also is at play here and often misunderstood in terms of how autism and a diagnosis of autism might mask other things going on. So a physician or somebody a professional might see the autism but not recognize that maybe it's diabetes, maybe it's you know, puberty, maybe it's these other things. And as a white woman, I can only imagine what it might be like for a person of color to experience that in the greater community, because I know for our family that experiences are really important. Practicing is really important, and we don't always get it right. As a matter of fact, communities inclusive communities are perfectly imperfect. We get it wrong, but it's what we do after we get it wrong. That matters that practicing, So believe me, I got plenty of stink guys in the shopping you know, in the grocery store just down the street here as a matter of fact, of people looking at my kid and thinking that he was misbehaving, not understanding that it was autism. So I wanted to make sure that for all of your listeners that at one in thirty six they likely know or will meet some a child or an adult or somebody in their life that is on the autism spectrum disorder. And how we approach that with understanding, with grace, with inclusivity is really important, and we need that in all different spectrums, in all different spheres. So I really appreciate this chance to be able to join you and learn from you, and to be able to live my authentic self because my background is community and real estate development. And when I was receiving that diagnosis of autism and told in nineteen ninety three that I should love, accept and plan to institutionalize my child, I went to institutions and homes not far from where we're sitting right now, and I have to tell you I freaked out there was no way that I was going to place my son in one of those places. So I have been committed for decades to finding a better way, and as a charitable nonprofit, which is First Place, we can't do it alone. We need all the sectors working with us. So we work with public sector, with private sector, with charitable nonprofit sector. And so for your listeners and their community, taking what they have, and you have your talent, you have your voice, you have your platform. I have some different expertise. Taking what we have to make sure that we can do the best job possible in our local communities where our families, our loved ones live and practice it and make sure that we get it right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I was fortunate enough to go on a tour of First Place, and I had a chance to meet a lot of the people that work there and to really do a deep dive into the nature of the work and really why a place like this is really important. And I'll share a bit about what I learned, because the truth of the matter is that this was a big blind spot for me as well. Despite having a cousin who was autistic, you know, there was so much that I just didn't really think about in terms of the ways that affects the condition affects individuals themselves, the ways that it affects people around them, the ways that it could create frustrations for all parties involved. And then there's a whole other facet of it too, which is, you know, how do these people make a life for themselves outside of you know, when you think of autism. You know, at least for me, when I think of autism, I think of something that is, you know, that kids deal with, and so to reconceive of the concept of autism around an adult and what comes with adulthood, everything that comes with adulthood, not just you know, jobs and and you know, responsibilities and routine and all that sort of stuff, but you know, paying bills and commuting and all these other things that are just part and parcel to that experience. You know, first Place kind of steps in and fills in those gaps. So I know that we can't call it a facility.
Speaker 4: Right for me, it's the f word if it's not used for first or forever, because it's not a facility, and we never wanted to create a facility.
Speaker 3: We live in homes, and you know, people don't live in four walls. They live in their community. So it's not just where you sleep at night or make your meal, it's what do you do all day. It's about that purposeful living. And no matter where your cousin is and where our sun is, people deserve those opportunities to learn, to grow, to volunteer, to contribute to their communities in some way and in many ways. They can bring out kindness in our community. That we have someone who's a bit more vulnerable among us, how we protect ourselves protect them. And I love this definition of community about the people in our lives. We don't pay to care about us. And you think about your grandmother and the people who no doubt we're checking on her, who aren't related to her either, but who cared about her. And so community is a really important part. And at first place, we have positioned that property, that building, that apartment community in what is known as the most autism friendly city in the world, and that's according to PBS News Hour. And that series was produced back in twenty sixteen at the time of our groundbreaking.
Speaker 1: And you could say the name of this film.
Speaker 3: It's the series called A Place in the World, and it was produced by PBS News Hour and it's twenty sixteen, and basically we had given then the journalists who produced that series a tour on the light rail here, showing them all the different places, all the doors that we've opened for healthcare, for employment, for volunteerism, for helping these organizations, these for prophecies, nonprofitcies, recreational spaces, to learn how to work with people with autism, how to accept them, how to include them, and building an inclusive community takes a lot of practice. And I love diverse communities. I'm a woman who's Jewish and bringing our brothers and sisters and people of all faiths in what it does to enrich our lives and enrich our communities. So First Place is an eighty one thousand square foot property designed not just for people with autism, but for people who need supportive housing. And it's for people who might present with autism or down syndrome, or intellectual and developmental disabilities. Because my sitting here and being a senior doesn't tell either of you what I need or want in my housing. Need to somebody's diagnosis. And that's work that we're doing not only here in Greater Phoenix, but across the country. Helping them, those local leaders, those local stakeholders, understand how to use the same language and expressing need and actually producing housing market data so that they can go to their policy officials. Because we have a housing crisis. We know that that's no secret. It's important for us to make sure we're not only at the table with our hearts, but at the table with data demonstrating what we want and need and making sure that that's part of the equation.
Speaker 2: You know, you need to be in front of a microphone far more often than you are. I don't know how often you are now, but you need to do it more well because I'm sitting here listening to you, and I'm not just being educated, but just the way that you speak, Because anybody could deliver the information, the way that you deliver the information makes it very easy to receive. It's very clear for someone who's not as familiar with spectrum or autism or the raising of children and loved ones and even strangers in that space. So please find more opportunities you have. You can come here whenever you want, as often as you want, but need to not just hear this information, but hear it from you because the way that you deliver. It is really incredible. It's really welcoming. It's not just informative, but it's I don't even know the right word, like, I'm listening to it and I care about it. I'm not just learning. It's now something that means something to me. And we've only been here for a few minutes. So as many opportunities as you have to have a microphone in front of you having this conversation, please do it more because it's necessary. You spoke before about the likelihood of diagnosis, especially with regard to the difference in those who grow up in white communities and those that are people of color. We know that the information, the awareness is important not just with the people who care about us, but with society at large. The way that law enforcement responds to us, the way that educators respond to us when they know that there's someone on the spectrum that's in their presence. How do people in gree or I guess a better way to put it is, how are people more likely to be diagnosed or have access to being diagnosed so that their journey growing up and experiencing the world is better than if not? Because we've seen how when those behaviors are mistaken, like you said, at the grocery store, and people think, oh, your son is just misbehaving, having no idea how to interpret what they see. How do we increase the likelihood of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I want to add to that just a little bit. So a while back, we had a woman up on this show. Her name is Janelle Wood, and she came and spoke to us about what's called the school to prison pipeline. Basically, there was the criminalization of juvenile delinquency or whatever that really shaped outcomes for children of color. You know, they're more likely to be disciplined and arrested at every single gra level, regardless of the infraction. There was a criminal element associated with these children. And you know, you mentioned that white families often get access to diagnoses and that oftentimes black and brown families don't have access to these same diagnoses. So do SI favor and kind of speak on that a little bit and how that might shape outcomes.
Speaker 3: There are a number of sources that people can turn to. There's certainly the Autism Society of America Autism Speaks and here at the organization that I co founded called the Southwest Autism Research and resource center. They're able to diagnose children remotely to cut the waiting list, to cut the cost. And it is called NODA Natural Observation Diagnostic Assessment, and it prescribes for that family member different video to upload so that the professionals can view that and can also render a diagnosis. The earlier that somebody can get diagnosed, the earlier the benefits can start, specifically insurance, whether that's public or private insurance. And that early intervention is key, but it's not the only time people can learn. People can learn throughout their lifetimes. And so I appreciate what you were saying to you in terms of the passion that I have for this. It is complex, It is complicated. You want to get to kids early, you want to make sure that the ecosystem, the community is also prepared, and that does take time. And so most recently I was with former Sheriff Great Markopa County Sheriff Paul Penzone, and he has recognized that there are people in his prison system who don't belong there, but they are there because of their autism or an intellectual and developmental disability, and they need to be treated differently than those other people in prison. And so recognizing what it is and how we can also train law enforcement to better understand the sign so that they are they don't escalate a situation. And so we were just at an international training conference for law enforcement officers, and there are training programs across the country that local communities can access. One of them is called be Safe. We also offer something here at the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center.
Speaker 1: Do me a favorite. Let's let's send folks to a website and then take a break, but sure shop a website where folks can get at least some of.
Speaker 3: Those emport first place and spell out first first place, global dot org.
Speaker 1: First place, global dot org. All right, so when we come back, I want to have a conversation about exactly what happens or could happen at the intersection of autism and the criminal justice system, because you know, we obviously talk about a lot of that sort of stuff here on this show, and I want to spend some time also talking about sort of the economic opportunities that exist for folks with autism.