Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hyde in New York and Eva low In sent frances.
Speaker 2: Go, this is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: Microsoft and open Ai finalize a new agreement, with Microsoft now getting a twenty seven percent ownership stake in the AI startup worth about one hundred and thirty five billion plus. Today is in Video's DC super Bowl. We'll discuss what investors are looking for in CEO Jensen One's keynote address at the GtC conference, and we sit down with Tesla board chair Robin Denholm to discuss the push to convince shareholders to approve Elon Musk's one trillion dollar pay package. At the index level, there is not a lot going on in the world of technology, but there are two big stories. In video is off itsself highs upper percentage point and trading at a record high. We await Jensen Jang later today and a big GtC keynote. Then there is the big breaking news story of the morning. Microsoft will get a twenty seven percent stake in open Ai at a value of one hundred and thirty five billion dollars.
Speaker 2: There or thereabouts.
Speaker 3: It is some certainty for investors for both companies who have been waiting to understand the evolution of this relationship, and we got some details well into the future. Let's get to our senior tech editor Mike Shepherd, who's.
Speaker 2: Here in DC.
Speaker 3: There's the ownership in the financials, let's go through those, please. But also we now know that open ai will license its technology to Microsoft for a very long time.
Speaker 4: Yes, until twenty thirty two ed.
Speaker 5: And this is really, in a way a bigger move for open ai because it removes some of the uncertainty that has been surrounding its evolution into a for profit venture.
Speaker 4: We know the numbers there.
Speaker 5: We are Microsoft getting a twenty seven percent stake worth about one hundred and thirty five billion.
Speaker 4: But another key.
Speaker 5: Element that we also heard was that it will have a hold on open ai technology until twenty thirty two, and that also includes when open ai achieves AGI artificial This is the state of generalized intelligence when AI can think like a human in essence, So that's a key development. And there is also some money going into the nonprofit open Ai Foundation. That also resolves another loose end. And for investors, this removes one of the hurdles that have been standing in the way of this all happening, and it have been standing in the way. Microsoft was one of the last holdouts among the backers of open ai for this evolution to a for profit.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the pathway is open for open ai to become a for profit business and get the resources it needs. It was a hell of a day to pick to put news out between nine and nine thirty four East in this morning, four red headlines on the Bloomberg terminal, which is a lot for our technology news we all here for in video GtC and as we've written on the Bloomberg terminal, this is the AI super Bowl. The expectation is very high that Gensen Wang will say something that moves the needle, and he'll say something political.
Speaker 5: Well, they're sure is that we've been looking at this from two lenses.
Speaker 4: One, what are they going to be introducing?
Speaker 5: The way of products features partnerships to accelerate this push that Jensen Wong and Nvidia have been making to try to spread and disseminate artificial intelligence through the economy and a lot of different sectors ranging from healthcare to transportation. We'll hear him talk about things like robotics and other areas where they want to see what he calls the AI factory take hold. This is where AI is used to develop ideas. But one of the things that has been holding back the Nvidia push, of course, has been US export controls that has kept Nvidia out of the world's largest market for semiconductors, and that is China, and he would surely like to see that change. And not coincidentally, President Donald Trump is in Asia as we speak. He is about to meet with Chinese President Shi Jimping on Thursday and perhaps hashed through some of those issues. For now, this preliminary core between the US and China does not include.
Speaker 4: Any change to those export controls.
Speaker 5: But perhaps Jensen today will be sending a signal to his new friend, Donald Trump, and Jensen will be traveling to South Korea and he will see Trump there as soon as the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Wraps up later today.
Speaker 3: The President told us he expects to see Jensen Wong tomorrow, so he's going to have to hot foot it away from Washington, DC this afternoon. Bloobog's Mike Shephard, thank you very much. Now coming up, Robin Denholt, Chair and Tesla's board, joins us to discuss the push to convince shareholders to approve Elon Musk's one trillion dollar pay package.
Speaker 2: That conversation is next. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 6: He's to welcome our TV and radio audiences worldwide as we're joined here in New York by Robin dan Holm, chair of Tesla's Board of directors in New York, meeting with shareholders.
Speaker 7: Key institutional shareholders of Tesla.
Speaker 6: Chris, there's a pay package that many have been analyzing that will keep from your perspective, Elon Musk in the driving seat and CEO of Tesla. Who are you meeting with and what thus far has been the response been to this pay package that could see Elon paid as much as a trillion dollars.
Speaker 8: Well, thank you for having me today. Yes, as part of our annual shareholder meeting, I meet with the top investors in Tesla on the institutional side, and obviously also talk to retail investors through forums like this this morning to encourage everybody to vote, but also to answer any questions that they have. From a board perspective, we really like to engage with our shareholders. Understand their questions that cancers, their optimism for the future, and so it's a really important part of the process we go through on a quarterly basis, but also with the proxy on an annual basis as well.
Speaker 6: So the initial feedback is it one of optimism around the pay package. We've heard from Glass Lewis from ISS which have said they're not in agreement with the way in which the pay package is thus formed.
Speaker 7: The key concern seems to be.
Speaker 6: The sheer amount of money going to Elon Musk if indeed he achieves all of those key milestones. But for you, it's about and for Elon influence, it seems like, so how are you managing to discuss that with the investors institutional a retail.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So, firstly, it is a performance package, so he gets nothing if he doesn't perform against the pretty audacious milestones that are part of the performance criteria that's been outlined by the board in the performance package. So I think rather than compensation, it's actually about the performance and the goals that we have for the company as we move forward. And so for me, it really is about making sure that investors understand that that they actually get paid if he hits the master and before he will. But to your point, it is about voting influence. Elon's been very public, including on last week's earnings call, about the fact that it's around the voting influence that he could have in future shareholder meetings as opposed to the economic interests of the shares that he would get as part of the performance plan.
Speaker 2: Robin, good morning from Washington, DC.
Speaker 3: You've acknowledged that there is a very real risk that Elon leaves if the vote is a no. This question we get most often from shareholders to you is what's the plan be? Is there a plan B as a different person stepping up, or have you discussed with Elon the idea that it will result in a no vote and that you can use some kind of bridging mechanism another interim pay award for example.
Speaker 8: Well, he's been quite public in terms of the implications of a no vote being on his leadership as well as on the obviously on the performance plan itself, and so from our perspective as a board, we we obviously take our fiduciary responsibilities really seriously to all shareholders and having you know, a succession plan, you know those types of things things we've discussed on an ongoing basis, particularly you know, if something unto world were to happen. So, from our perspective, succession planning is an important part, and so much so that we've actually baked in an orderly succession plan and a plan for a plant, if you like, as part of this performance plan. So the last two tranches of the of the performance plan are unlocked by having a robust performance plan that sorry succession plan that Elon would be part of.
Speaker 3: If Elon Musk walks away from Tesla on November sixth or seventh because of a no vote, is there a contingency where there is an individual already within Tesla or an individual outside of Tesla that is lined up as a near term option.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So from our perspective, the most important thing at this point in time is making sure that we're explaining all of the items on the shareholder agenda for the annual sharing holder Meeting, making sure that institutional investors retail investors have their questions answered. That's our most important thing right at this point, and we.
Speaker 3: Are only robin That is their question, Who's the backup plan?
Speaker 2: Is the question that they're asking you.
Speaker 8: Well, there is no other person that is Elon. We think that he is the right leader for the company over this next decade and delivering the plan and the opportunities ahead of us. So it's about how do we create the most value for the company and for our shareholders over this next period of time. And he is the right leader for us over this next decade.
Speaker 6: Can you give me a sense of probability if the vote is no, what probability Elon walks?
Speaker 2: So right?
Speaker 8: At this point in time, it's too early to actually make a call on the outcome. Most investors wait to the last minute to vote, so we're still early in that cycle, which is one of the reasons why I'm in New York to meet with our institutional investors. And we will get a better sense as the votes come in. And some institutions are more public than others in terms of how they're going to vote. So yesterday there was public announcement by the pension fund in Florida, and so other investors will start to make their votes public as well.
Speaker 7: But if it's no, the probability that Elon.
Speaker 9: Goes well, time will tell.
Speaker 8: But he's been very very public in terms of you know, it would be more of a say on his leadership over this period of time, not just about the performance plan itself in terms of a no vote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Robin, you've been generous with your time. You know, we've already spoken with you in September at length about the goals that you've set for Elon Musk. But one of the things that came out of that from again the shareholder base is why are the energy products not as strictly mandated to Elon when you consider the earnings that just posted. That was a growth driver, right, It's such a key part of Elon Musk's master Plan Part four and this abundance that he is going after. So why didn't you include energy products as a stated goal?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So there are many different goals that we looked at. Energy is an important part of the Tesla product line up today and in the future, and you can see the impact that energy is having not only on the results, but also on the transition to sustainable energy longer term. So it is embedded in the plan. The ebitter goals that we have as a company. You can't get there without a robust energy outcome. And so again, if you look at the results of last week, energy contributed very significantly, and to get to four hundred billion dollars of adjusted ebitter as a monumental task for anybody. No one out there, at least to my knowledge, is at that sort of level. And so even the first ebitter goals at billion dollars is nearly three times our highest bitter goals that we've had, So from our perspective, it is absolutely.
Speaker 7: Embedded in the goals.
Speaker 8: To your point, it's not a specific line item in terms of the revenue or the units or the killer watts of energy or megawatts of energy that are out there, but it is implicit in the plans, and the master Plan for you know, talks about that as well in terms of getting to sustainable abundance.
Speaker 3: Robin has the special committee and the advisors that you took on discuss the use of interim awards in the event of the no votes and how you might replicate what you did already.
Speaker 8: Well, there's an important other measure on the board as well, proposal in terms of increasing the share pool that we have. Firstly for our employees. As you know, we're in a talent wall at the moment, particularly around aar talent and adding to the Employee Reserve as part a of that to actually increase the amount of equity that we have for our employee program. But secondarily, we've also asked shareholders to add to the pool in the event that we need to award an amount to elin to compensate for the twenty eighteen plan, because as you know, we put an intram award for roughly one third of what he earned under the twenty eighteen plan. Given the appeal that is ongoing in Delaware at the moment, so we have not ruled that out. The special Committee was charged with looking at all matters compensation wise. As you're aware, in August, we did actually award an interim award which does have a two year vesting period and is four aforded if we win the appeal in Delaware for the twenty eighteen compensation program.
Speaker 6: It does seem then to be about money, and I'm interested as to how you continue to You've made very clear it's about influence as well. Some of the feedback has been just a gargantuan amount that could go to Elon in terms of monetary value, but then others.
Speaker 7: Are worried about the dilution to other shareholders.
Speaker 6: How was it in just no way possible to give him more voting rights without the one trillion dollar mega money bonus.
Speaker 8: It feels like yeah, I mean, we looked at many different instruments to be able to award equity that had voting rights versus the economic value, and it's just not possible once a public company has gone public to introduce a special class of voting shares.
Speaker 7: Other companies have that.
Speaker 8: If you look at some of the tech companies, they have two classes and founder shares if you like, or special voting rights exist. But Kesler, that wasn't implemented at the time that we actually went public, and therefore we weren't able to use that type of instrument. But what we were able to do was to bifurcate the voting rights versus the economic rights. And so under the plan.
Speaker 7: The first.
Speaker 8: All the awards have voting rights that are earned first, and then the economic rights happen, you know, seven and a half years later in the first instance.
Speaker 7: Or ten years later.
Speaker 8: So it really isn't about the economic or monetary value.
Speaker 7: It's more about the voting rights.
Speaker 8: And if there was a different mechanism that was available to us, we may have used that, but we had many experts look at it over an extensive period of time, and we were not able to come up with something that would enable us to do that.
Speaker 6: We asked you who had Robin Dunholm, Chaphas and Tasla board of directors of course, and Robin what's so interesting is made very clear why he wants influence, and in the Earning school, who is saying he's worried about this army of robots that he is creating and they're not having the influence if something went untoward. His concerns about AI have been well documented, But why is he the right person to have influence, to have more than twenty twenty five percent.
Speaker 7: Vote in control?
Speaker 8: I think there's not another person on the planet that has the skill set that Elon has, both in terms of the manufacturing prowess that we've developed and he has developed over many years, but also around AI, that confluence of those technology skills, I think there are very few people that have that, and therefore, obviously, looking at the risks associated with new technologies andology and risks that haven't even yet emerged around those technologies, I think he is the right person not only to take advantage of the opportunities for the company ahead of us, but also to make sure that there are not the pitfalls of new technologies that could happen. Obviously the board plays a role in that as well, and as from a governance perspective, looking at the types of evil that could be done with different types of technology is part of our purview as well, and it is why we have such a phenomenal board with the skill sets that we have, both from a technology perspective but also from a governance perspective, and so we play a role. But obviously the CEO the management team play an even bigger role on safeguarding companies and safety is a huge priority of ours as a company, and so when you're developing new technologies and technologies that other people have not yet developed globally, it is important to make sure that you have the right framework in place.
Speaker 3: Robin final question from the shareholder base is did the situation around the twenty eighteen package Chancery Delaware situation mean that the board had to hold off on authorizing any other investments or big strategic shifts.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think so. I mean, obviously we take into account a whole bunch of factors as we're working through strategy and different alternatives the company.
Speaker 7: Has ahead of us, but.
Speaker 8: Clearly the Delaware situation was disruptive, but not disruptive from a strategic point of view. Making sure that we have an eye on the future and the evolution of the company over the long term, I think is something that the board is focused on, but also something the management team is focused on.
Speaker 3: Robin Dunholm, Chair of Tessa's board. Thank you very much, Thank you. Adobe is hosting its annual user conference this week, where the company will announce it's continued in integrations of generative AI into flagship creativity and productivity tools. The announcements include an updated version of their fly Fi image model and an AI assistant in Adobe Express, and access to models from Google and open Ai. We sat down with Adobe CEO Shantanu Orion for an exclusive conversation about its AI ambitions.
Speaker 10: I think everybody is so focused right now on training and the creation of these models, and that's where the investment is until that moves to inference and you're starting to see, you know, the usage of that. All of this investment is not going to be monetized, and you're not going to get a return. So you know, I'm very confident that Adobe is already at the path where it's the inference, it's the usage, it's the workflows, it's the actual value that we provide to customers. That's going to be the long lasting value.
Speaker 3: You present to picture a human generated picture of a business in rude health to the market.
Speaker 2: Give you enough credit for that?
Speaker 10: Well, I think it's fair to say that you know the stock price right now I don't think represents because there's a question about software at large that I think is misunderstood when you look at how profitable we are, the growth prospects that we have models are going to be an on wrap, and what we have to do at Adobe is just to continue to focus on driving the innovation, on demonstrating the metrics that are power powering this underlying business, the early metrics and adoption of all of this technology. And that gives me great confidence that the innovation that we're doing, innovation is alive as well at Adobe as well as it's being recognized by our customers. So you know, we recognize that inference is where the action is. We're skating to where the puck is and you know, I think the stock will take care of itself, but it's certainly undervalued right now, which is why we're buying back a lot of our stock.
Speaker 2: Let me address this head on.
Speaker 3: Wool Street does not see Adobe as a place where AI innovation is happening. And you just said, you know, when inference comes, you will be there. What's the counter argument to the statement that I just made.
Speaker 10: I actually think Wall Street has recognized that AI and Adobe and the way we've innovated has actually been stellar. I think they're wondering where the monetization of training and inference. I think this incredible focus on chips and the infrastructure for training is where the action is right now, and you know, my belief is that it will switch to inference. So I would actually dispute the fact that they are not recognizing the innovation that we're providing. But I think they're waiting to, you know, see how that accelerates on the inference site.
Speaker 3: There was Adobe CEO Shantanuan Orion. Okay, some more news, It's time for talking tech.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 3: Our PayPal shares surging today after the company raised its full year earnings guidance and announce a new partnership with open Ai. The deal integrate PayPal's digital wallet into chat GPT products, enabling users to seamlessly turn searches into purchases. Plus, Meta is moving its top Metaverse executive to a new role.
Speaker 2: Vishal shar is set.
Speaker 3: To oversee AI products and will be responsible for adding the company's AI Tech two metas, app and wearable devices. This comes just a week after the company cuts six hundred jobs from its AI unit and Paramounts Guidance is preparing for a major round of layoffs, cutting about one thousand jobs starting Wednesday.
Speaker 2: That's according to sources.
Speaker 3: The move follows the company's merger in August, as management looks to streamline operations and reduce costs. The second wave of job cuts is expected at a later date.
Speaker 7: Welcome back to blue Mentech.
Speaker 6: Let's get a quick check on these markets because for a record hires folk then as that one hundred tracking up just about three tens percent. We're coming off of the previous highs of the day, but nevertheless we march ever higher as the moon music is positive. One around earnings. One about some of the seismic announcements we're going to get from Nvidia, it's trading higher ahead of the big announcementsro GDC. Microsoft trades higher with clarity on that twenty seven percent state they have in the public benefit cooperation of opening I going forward better stig beneath also what's rallying and Amazon is now we understand with clarity now that fourteen thousand jobs in the corporate part of the business are to go. We're up about a quarter of a percent. But we want to dig into this particular story and what it means going forward with Matt Day, you cover Amazon Matt and in many ways this has been signaled by Andy Jasse. Generator AI is going to allow them to do more with less from a corporate personnel perspective.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 12: Andy Jasse, the Amazon boss, came up with a memo earlier this spring, I guess, saying that over time they expected AI to reduce the headcount in corporate roles. Now PR is telling us that's not the driving force today, but it's hard to escape as a background they did just in the layoff memo from the hrchief this morning announcing those fourteen thousand cuts. You know, they mentioned AIS transformative and Amazon's got a reshape to be ready for it.
Speaker 3: We actually did find out a little bit more granularity from sources right now on which roles, which departments. And I think it's worth pointing out fourteen thousand is less than half the number that Reuters put out yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 12: That's right, And I think one of the indications in Amazon's communication to employees is that these might not be over They said, you know, looking to twenty twenty six, the company would continue to hire in some areas, but also look for efficiencies and look for ways to cut the fat. So employees are definitely taking that as a sign that more are coming, which would be within the patterns Amazon is established from its prior big layoff.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 12: We saw this movie a few years back when they rolled out layoffs in October, November, January, and March.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Matt Day, thank you very much. Let's get to earning. Shares of so far down roughly this morning, this despite the company reporting pretty strong earnings, raising its full year profit outlook, and increasing membership in the latest quarter. Let's talk through those numbers with CEO anton Ote. I'm reading actually the Bloomberg Intelligence reaction to the numbers. Right, You've been through the numbers on the call. But the story is that this one stop shop platform is getting traction with affluent, younger people. Is that the story that you'd want to.
Speaker 11: Tell, Absolutely, and the results speak to that.
Speaker 13: We've driven seventeen consecutive quarters where our revenue growth and our margins when added together, exceeds the very attractive rule of forty that technology investors like to see.
Speaker 11: In software companies.
Speaker 13: We've actually averaged fifty eight in this quarter, we're sixty seven percent. We drove thirty percent revenue growth and have twenty nine percent with down margins, which is an exceptional performance, and it's really the direct result of the foundation that we've built over the last eight years to have this diverse setup product that are all now firing together to deliver durable growth and really strong profitability. Our business continues to diversify into products outside of lending. Fifty six percent of our revenue was from the line lending segments, and that was up quite meaningfully fifty seven percent. So the strategies working with thirty five percent product member growth, thirty six percent product growth, and then about forty percent other products in the quarter were bought by existing members.
Speaker 3: And to bear with me one moment please, there's just some breaking news. Nvidia is making a one billion dollar equity investment in Nokia, the European telecom telecommunication networking name. Nvidia will subscribe Nokia shares at a price of six dollars one cent per share and hold three percent of the company almost three percent, two point nine percent. Nokia is going to use that money to accelerate its strategic plans around AI, and the shares will be delivered in the form of ADRs. It's an interesting piece of breaking news.
Speaker 2: We're here in.
Speaker 3: DC for Nvidia GtC. I'm sure later in the day we'll get back to it. Antie, thank you for bearing with me. The other person I want to ask about is what's happening in the market right now. If you are a fintech company and you put out a press release or you say the words open AI in the public forum, your stock goes ballistic. Paypalers example of that. Does so FI feel the need to integrate itself as an API through chat GPT?
Speaker 13: What I'd say is this, we're benefiting from two technology supercycles, blockchain and artificial intelligence. We'll talk about products and impact as they're released. I think it's critically important to stay grounded in reality of the business as well as the impact of these new initiatives and the business. We've recently launched something called Sofi Pay, which is the ability to pay in the United States. There are app in dollars of money that's remitted internationally to Mexico as a start rides down a layer two blockchain and it arrives in the destination country and local feat We've rolled out Mexico and we'll soon be adding the rest of lat am as well as Europe, and we think it's a very unique product. We also will be launching before the end of the year the ability to buy, sell, and hold cryptocurrencies at SOFI. Will be the first national bank in the US to offer buy, sell and hold cryptocurrencies, and you'll be able to do it through your Sofi Money account. Our Sofi Money accounts a our checking the seams accounts they have up to two million dollars with FDIC insurance. People could open up a crypto account and fund that purchase directly.
Speaker 11: From their Sofi Money account seamlessly.
Speaker 14: So not only building unique products, but we're stitching them together so that you have a seamless ability to use all of our products, and it's better to use them together. We'll also launch next year a stable coin, which we think will impact a number.
Speaker 11: Of our different businesses.
Speaker 13: It will be part of Sofi pay, be part of held Biols and sell Crypto, and will also be offered to our technology platform partners.
Speaker 7: The product innovation is rapid, Anthony.
Speaker 6: What's interesting though, is trying to understand the asset quality going forward. And as Ed started this conversation, there's perhaps the sort of higher level, higher type of person that you've been marketing to. But PayPal has just been saying, I'm ind their earnings said worried about the US.
Speaker 7: Consumer right now? Are you?
Speaker 11: No, we're not. Our consumer is very strong.
Speaker 13: We're going after prime and super prime customers with their lending products. Our credits performed incredibly well. We actually saw an improvement sequentially again in net charge offs by about twenty basis points across both products.
Speaker 11: Our average FYCOS score for our personal loans is.
Speaker 13: In the seven to forty range and the average FYCO score for our student owner financing is in the seven to fifty range. So we're seeing really strong performance of credit and great demand from our capital markets partners in our loan platform business, which is now in this quarter over three billion dollars, up nine hundred million dollars sequentially. And so not only is our credit performing well, the returns investors are getting and buying our loans or licensing with us on our loan platform is also performing well. And we see a flight to quality and we're benefiting from that.
Speaker 6: Anthony, you have been talking about the innovations when it comes to investing in AI investing in crypto, maybe there's a bit of an in organic as well as organic.
Speaker 7: But I'm interested about what it means for your workforce.
Speaker 6: Are you still going to be expanding Briefly, might you see some trimming in terms of corporate jobs.
Speaker 13: We are accelerating our rate of investment, and we've announced a number of new initiatives, including the smart card for next year as part of Sofi Plus. We'll continue to expand the selection that we have in the invest product that I mentioned the crypto investments.
Speaker 11: We're also doing things in artificial intelligence.
Speaker 13: We've recently launched cash Coach, which is a way to evaluate the cash that you have in your Sofi accounts and all of your external accounts and show you how you're not using your cash optimally. Will also launch something more broadly called Coach, which will answer your questions but most importantly help you understand how to spend less than you make so you can invest the rest. We're moving forward with hired and we've hired more engineers this year than we've had in the past, and we don't see that signed.
Speaker 6: Down, Anthony Noto, so Fi CEO. Great to catch up with you today. On the back of your earnings.
Speaker 3: Secretive Americans startup Substrate has come out of stealth with a one billion dollar valuation and a bold claim on chip making technology. It's built a new lithography tool that it says uses particle acceleration and X ray wavelengths to etch intricate wafer patterns as sharp as all sharper than ASML's EUV machines. ASML shares fell after Bloomberg published its story.
Speaker 2: The company also has.
Speaker 3: Long shot plans to build an American foundry, taking aim at TSMC's dominance. Substrate founder and CEO James Proud joins us now from San Francisco. James, I've had the benefit of spending some time with you in recent weeks looking at the company seeing the technology. The technical breakthrough is the use of a particle accelerator. But you're very keen to point out that you didn't take any ip from anyone else or work with another technology company. The response when we published the story was, how is this different from a company called x light? So take that and run with it, please.
Speaker 15: I think that what we've shown today is a working tool that is producing beautiful images. To our knowledge, there's only two companies that are actually printing images at these resolutions, in one in the United States.
Speaker 3: Let's bring up those images. You're basically sharing these images as evidence that the machine itself works. What is it that we're looking at here? And you know, beyond that, I think some of the technical questions that the analyst community came to us with is what is the throughput of this machine, you know, beyond this being a lab based experiment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's a great question.
Speaker 15: So it's important to know that the images that we've printed printed, we've done them under production like conditions, So this isn't something that is a very long exposure, a sort.
Speaker 4: Of one off.
Speaker 15: We've been very very focused on if we're going to use this kind of light source. It has to be capable of high volume production. And then on the other side the actual tool itself. We have what is a production quality three hundred millimeter away for tool with the mechatronics in that tool moving a production throughput. Of course, we're not in a fab. We've not built a fab yet, and so the proof is really going to be there. But we feel very very confident that on the key metrics that go into throughput, we've been demonstrating those.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you haven't built a fab, but you are planning an American foundry.
Speaker 15: Why, James, Well, if you look at the history of all of this techn from the transistor to photo lithography itself, the United States invented all of this. It was predominantly actually two companies, Intel and IBM. And so I see that we have a long history in this country of doing crazy, bold things, and it feels like a more brief aberration that the United States is not in the leadership position here. We've gone and done something very very different on the sort of key process in the manufacturing process. Our ideas aren't limited just to the lithography. We have lots of ideas about what would it look like if you were starting a foundry from scratch, and so we're very excited to go and keep building on top of that.
Speaker 6: And I'm sure IML looks on with wonder as at the moment they are at the heart of lithography, and maybe Japanese player too, but really they have the choke point. I'm interested as and when your facility might be up and running for such lithography, for such semiconductor equipment making machines to be up and running, and you see, commercially, James, our.
Speaker 15: Goal is to be up and running in twenty twenty eight. It's a very very fast timeline, but we've moved at incredible speed. The company's really only three years old at this point, and so if we can continue at that pace, we think that we can get that done.
Speaker 2: James.
Speaker 3: For you, this is about American sovereignty over a national security critical technology. Would you just explain your pitch in those terms. I know that you are driven by a very specific ideology on how and why America should lead in this field.
Speaker 15: Yeah, to be very clear, like you said, like this company and starting this, this is a very ideologically driven mission. Doing this and starting this is not easy. It's been incredibly, incredibly hard to get to this point, but I feel like the national security and economic security imperative, we need to be doing absolutely everything that we possibly can to get it States back into a leadership position. We need to be building as many fabs from domestic and foreign players as we possibly can. My number one goal is wafers built in the United States.
Speaker 9: We think that we can.
Speaker 15: Do a different version of that and bring that online very rapidly, but the end goal is semiconductors built in the United States as quickly as possible.
Speaker 3: In the story, we outline both that you were once a UK citizen who renounced UK citizenship and became an American citizen, and that you have no intention to sell these machines. So I want to get to some subject the matter that we didn't cover. You know that you need to raise tens of billions of dollars probably to achieve this vision. The capital right now is coming from the golf in the Middle East. How would you manage that situation?
Speaker 15: So I think it's actually really important to note that traditionally with a large semiconductor fab, you need a very, very large anchor customer to be able to fund the sort of tens of billions required to get a a fab up and running. But with what we're doing, we can actually reduce those costs so that to bring up a low volume facility you'd only really be in the single low single digit billions of dollars. And so because of that, we think that we have a lot more flexibility in raising capital and actually getting this build as quickly as we can.
Speaker 6: So maybe keep on depending on US capital to build and fabricate in the United States. And for that, how much have you had to liaise with the Trump administration, how much we had to be in sync with their own focus on fabrication in the United States.
Speaker 15: Well, I think the Trump administration and the President have made it very clear they see that this is a golden age for the United States and that we are in a technological battle. There's an AI race and the United States needs to win. And so from literally day one of that administration, they've been incredibly supportive, engaged, and the door has always been open. And so we're incredibles of the administration and appreciative of the time that they've given us.
Speaker 6: James Crowd, CEO, substrate we thank you for joining us today. Meanwhile, coming up, we're going to be speaking with Anka Crawford, algia EVP and portfolio manager.
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 6: Expect outam In Video's GtC keynote adds some news on him Video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was breaking out of Europe.
Speaker 3: In Video is making a one billion dollar equity investment in Nokia, where in Video will end up holding almost three percent of that company. And it's about Nokia having both the capital and the technology relationship to advance its strategic priorities in AI.
Speaker 2: I am here in DC for GtC.
Speaker 3: One would assume therefore that later today we'll hear more about it. But Caro, look at Nokia shares right now and that reaction that's called the Nvidia effect, the golden ticket in AI.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 7: We've got to get back to our top story of the day.
Speaker 6: Microsoft has finalized a pact with Open AI, giving the t tech giant Microsoft that is a twenty seven percent stake in the chatchipte maker. It's public benefit corporation part of it worth about one hundred and thirty five billion dollars. Unco Crawlford is with US EVP portfolio manager at Algae. And you've been putting a lot of thought into underlying valuations into the overall AI spectrum right now. Is this clarity a good one for you when it comes to the Microsoft thesis?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 16: Sure, I mean, you know, partnering with open Ai. Open ai is probably one of the most significant companies of our decade. Of this decade, and to be able to partner with open ai and increase the time horizon over which the partnership will will exist was important for Microsoft because the underlying technology is being developed at open Ai. So, you know, welcome, We're very happy to see it. The extension of the Data Center Pact also an important step in the right direction.
Speaker 7: Two hundred and fifty billion dollars worth.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's right, and so moving forward, I mean, there was a lot of kerfuffling that we'd heard between open ai and Microsoft. I'm glad that they're over it. I think they'll make great partners once again. This is about deal making once again. This is about open ai just trying to ensure that it's got the bandwidth of compute that it needs. With Microsoft being able to say real revenue from general to AI in the here and now and still have access to the IP When we keep thinking about these deals, some of them being talked of as circular. Has it given you any pools, any calls for concern? Actually quite the opposite in that maybe we should be asking what is it that open ai actually thinks their revenues can be that they need so much capacity, and back into perhaps you know, how big is this market and how are they framing it?
Speaker 9: How is anthropic framing their market?
Speaker 16: You know, last week there was a really interesting article about how open ai was hiring investment bankers, where they're coding a junior investment bank analyst.
Speaker 9: What is that worth?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 16: What is that worth to a bank that may hire an open ai digital banker?
Speaker 9: Right? And if you do this across.
Speaker 16: The economy, I think it becomes a clearer that you know, the opportunity set here is very significant. It's not tens of billions, it's hundreds of billions, if not greater.
Speaker 7: We are at a new record high in the day.
Speaker 6: We are seeing Nvidia push hire ahead of more announcements coming out of GtC. We are seeing earnings anticipation all of some of the major players of Magnificent seven this week, the.
Speaker 7: Key five coming forward.
Speaker 6: But when you're looking at your investment playbook. Are you going to keep putting money into a Microsoft, into an Video, into an Amazon and an alphabet or is it a broader remit Now?
Speaker 16: I think it has been a much broader subsection that we have been investing in, mostly playing on the infrastructure side.
Speaker 9: At some point you're.
Speaker 16: Going to have to pivot from not only in structure, but into those companies that are actually deploying and getting the benefits of AI that is still on the come because we are still in this ramp of building infrastructure. I mean, we can't actually deploy artificial intelligence to companies and get that benefit until the infrastructure is in place. So I think there's another you know, two to three year build out on the infrastructure. I think as we go through this earning season, we will see everyone is going to be raising their CAFEX estimates. Next year the numbers probably go up again.
Speaker 6: Can you celebrate that rather than seeing the revenue going up into the right?
Speaker 9: You celebrate both.
Speaker 16: Right, you need to see the infrastructure people spending CAPEX, which will eventually come as revenue to them over the next few years. But you do have to invest first in order to see the game.
Speaker 6: OK, it's always great to get your perspective. We so appreciate it on co cooford of Alga there with us portfolio manager. Meanwhile, let's just take a quick look as we wrap up this edition of Bluembag TI of the movers of the day nokire European what was the telecom equipment pivoting into AI equipment and then some in video vindicates that pivot by investing some one billion in terms of equity. That's a billion dollar equity investment in nock here. This is all about the future of AI RAN. That's radio access network market that's rapidly growing. It's about five it's about sixty for ups seventeen percent. Look out of course for the GtC announcements to come. But that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. One key focus is also to get your podcasts satiation. Do it with us, go to the terminal to online on Apple, Spotify and iHeart. Lookout for ED a little bit later at the GtC coverage as well.
Speaker 7: This is Bloomberg Tech