Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Thank you to Darius Rucker, his band, and everybody else behind the scenes who made it all happen. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards to the Dan Patrick Show. The NASCAR Cup Series headed to the Brickyard. Check out the action from Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Get to your phone calls here as we always do every Monday, Operator Tyler standing by best and worst of the weekend poll question from the first hour seat and what's on tap for hour two?
Speaker 2: Dah.
Speaker 3: We had biggest win this weekend right now, Fritzie conquering Bridgeport is at thirty seven percent of the vote, followed by the big twelve, then Sweden over the US women's national team, Bryson Deshambo not really getting much love for his live golf performance. We also put up there based on Todd would you rather be confident or talented? Right now, sixty two percent of the audience would rather be talented.
Speaker 1: And you're saying that Todd is confident, Well.
Speaker 3: I believe that was the quote you had from somebody in the band said, Uh, well, he's certainly confident. I don't know how talented he is, but he's definitely confident. And it made me wonder, would you rather be super confident in your abilities or really talented but maybe not as confident.
Speaker 1: I'll take I'll take talent. Yeah, yeah, I'll take talent. Yeah, that's an interesting question though.
Speaker 4: I know people who are talented, guys I grew up with I thought were extremely funny or great singers, but they didn't have the confidence to try it. Fritzy is like maybe a sea level talent, but a B plus on the confidence level to try things.
Speaker 1: Not like a must see talent. No, you're talking about a sea level Yeah, like a grade See.
Speaker 4: There's some people like you know, we've talked about Russell Wilson. He might need to not be the best athlete of all time, but he has superior confidence and it worked for him for a decade.
Speaker 3: All right, it is It is more of a thought provoking question than you think.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is on the surface.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I lack confidence growing up and probably should lean towards the confidence part of that, but I still having talent. I can gain confidence by having talent. If I have confidence, I don't have talent, then eventually it's like, you know what, maybe I shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can waste all of that talent though by not having the confidence too.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yes, Tom.
Speaker 6: There are people in various industries. We've all worked with them. We don't have to name who they are. But you could have a lot of confidence in charisma. You may not have a lot of talent, but you could somehow brainwash people into thinking that you're you're the man, and you're in charge, and they follow you along and you hire people that will handle all the talented work that needs to be done, and you could be the figurehead and be the big president of a company whatever. And I don't know how much talent you have, but you've kind of tricked everybody with your charisma and confidence into.
Speaker 1: Thinkning soundost like you got some people in mind.
Speaker 7: Nobody like this person.
Speaker 6: He or she must really know what they're talking about if they had to do it themselves. You know, they're smart enough to hire the people that know how to get it done, but they can and then take credit for it or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yes, but also, average talent can be developed with hard work. You can not have like Dan, you have a good voice, There's a lot of people on here who don't have good voices, but they have good control of their broadcasts. Like I worked for years with Chris Fowler, and I don't know if Chris Fowler had a great voice when he started in this business. He developed a thick and rich voice, but I know he was always prepped and always worked to prep for the broadcast, which I think goes a long way to make you talent.
Speaker 1: Fritzie just sent me a tweet. Thank you Fritzie for putting a smile on my face. My mom passed away last night. As I'm crying going to work, you guys make me smile. Thank you.
Speaker 7: How nice is that? How many jobs in the world can you make?
Speaker 5: That mom passed away?
Speaker 1: But it's it sounded like death on Friday night listening to Todd though.
Speaker 7: You have to turn her into that one.
Speaker 6: She's getting past losing her mom because we made her laugh at her.
Speaker 1: She loved it soon.
Speaker 4: Wow, did he get to hear the audio?
Speaker 7: That's too bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, too bad for her? Oh that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't believe you got up and did that.
Speaker 5: Man, that's unbelievable. Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Kept his hands in his pocket, the whole time.
Speaker 7: I got a lot of those Fritzy pocket pool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if your hands over to your pocket, I know, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 8: There was a woman about two rows ahead of me and my wife and she was tearing up and she was saying, he's just doing such a great job. I don't think she even knew Fritzy at all, and she was tearing up. Or maybe he was, you know, crying from you know the pain.
Speaker 1: Yes, Todd.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you sang better in sound check or in the like, actual live performance.
Speaker 7: That's a good question.
Speaker 6: I thought I sounded a little better in the live performance, but that may be my mind tricking me, because the audience seemed to be into it. That they were clapping and dancing and singing along to the words, which I wasn't expecting any of that, and that that alone made me feel really good, eve even if my singing was bad, that they.
Speaker 1: Here's another cut from soundcheck, watching Watching, Watching.
Speaker 9: Watching.
Speaker 3: A question, I'm going to do that.
Speaker 7: Lass line they watch you every more? Girls?
Speaker 10: That helpful?
Speaker 7: Or just to end it there, what I wonder we're trying to sort it out. Do you just stand there and we'll let.
Speaker 1: You know when it's tip to making suggestions. They quick question because they made one.
Speaker 6: Suggestion which sounded very high school musically, and that's not how the song goes. And I didn't want to get into a whole thing with them because they're awesome and I'm gonna do whatever they want me to do.
Speaker 1: But it was they were like, hold on, you just you will not let people help you, the people who do this for a living.
Speaker 6: I had just listened to the song so many times I knew, like what all the exact words were, and they go, how about watching you, watching you, watching you prav it ees and like ended like that, and that's not how the song goes, and it just that sounded weird to me, but I guess it's helpful for them, and our instruments were to end on that particular note.
Speaker 1: You guess it's helpful.
Speaker 6: So I say, you want me to do three watching news and then just say private eyes and like ended like that.
Speaker 8: Wait, wait, hold on, Fritzy, did you want it to fade out like it does on your album?
Speaker 7: Exactly what I want? I want to watch and you watch you, you watching you, watching.
Speaker 1: You maybe, and that's how it was going fade out.
Speaker 7: But it sounded weird to go private eyes.
Speaker 5: It sounded weird, all right.
Speaker 6: I'm not criticizing it, but I'm just I just wanted to sound exactly.
Speaker 5: Like it agreed with the artistic direction of the performance.
Speaker 6: I just wanted it to be the way it sounded like, growing up to how the exact record goes.
Speaker 7: Yes, just know how the song goes.
Speaker 1: And it would have been better if we just played the record.
Speaker 5: Darry'll take it, Yes, let's take.
Speaker 7: It from the top. Fritzie jumped it again. Just be Pacer, you're sinking too fast.
Speaker 1: You know. I'll take some of the blame because I I'm the one that made the bet with Darius that Dolphins would win the Super Bowl, and if they didn't, then you got to sing two songs. If the Dolphins had gotten to the super Bowl, then he got to host.
Speaker 7: None of us thought that ever was gonna actually come to Fruition.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think he remembered. And then all of a sudden I had to remind him.
Speaker 5: He really let Todd get up there and do that.
Speaker 7: Yes, in the middle of his set.
Speaker 6: It wasn't like before getting it over at six thirty seven o'clock.
Speaker 5: This is what he does for a living.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know, yes, Marv.
Speaker 8: And when you send us the set list, and so I'm looking at my phone and just looking. I was like, all right, this is oh my fritz He's up next. And my wife's like, oh my god, he's really up next. You know, She's like, I kept this is really happening. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I kept counting down. I think it was seven songs, and then Fritzi was coming up, and I go, oh my god, I got three more, two more, one more. And then my wife goes, I can't watch this.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't a New Year's countdown or the start of the NFL season. This was like the Grim Reaper is hiding around the corner and coming to get me.
Speaker 7: Countdown.
Speaker 4: Yes, From where Marvin and I were sitting, you could see the wings of the stage and I could see you and Fritzy and I think it was Fritzie's wife or your wife. I'm not sure clearly for the first seven or eight songs. So I'm just sitting there with my wife and you know, Matthew Berry from NBC, the Fantasy Football guy, and he's next. We were like they're right there. I wonder what they're talking about. I wonder they're having a simple waters Fritzy had to go to the bathroom. We're kind of breaking it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were. We were trying to encourage him. I think, just positive thoughts there, and you were, you were locked in thoughts and prayers. Thoughts and prayers, yes, Marph.
Speaker 8: And the smart thing by Darius or whoever put it together the setlist. Let Her Cry was the next song right after, just in case people were like, Oh.
Speaker 7: I know that sucked, but we're gonna do letter Cry, pretend to stop booing, stop booing.
Speaker 11: Letter h.
Speaker 1: The scene, man, it was I can't believe that happened.
Speaker 5: I I know, unbelievable. I know unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, take some phone calls here, Best and Worst of the weekend. We'll talk some college football on realignment and Bruce Feldman from the Athletical Joines coming up a little bit here. Let's see Buddha down in Baja Hi, Buddha.
Speaker 12: Win of the VP. Fritzy did it, Dan, Fritzy and his plums of steel got up there. He put his hands in his pockets and he pulled it off. Congratulations Fritz. Best of the Weekend, Best of the weekend was There was a few fights this weekend, but the best one was on the Diamond on Saturday between Hosei Ramirez and Tim Anderson. And the call is just as good. I don't know if you got to see that or hear that, but it was awesome worth the look worst of the weekend, Dan. You know, it's a lot of layers like an onion, Dan, the US women it's just not a good look. I thought it with a bad Starry with the whole good luck with that mantra, and you know, just it's a shame that went down, and it's a shame that people were going and rooting for that.
Speaker 1: So thank you, Bud. Yeah, there are a lot of advertising dollars attached to the US women's team and commercials, and now you know it's in Australia. You're you were losing the American audience anyway, and now you don't have the US in there. You've lost a couple of the marquee teams there, but not having the United States. Harry and San Francisco. Hey Harry, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 11: Dan Patrick Man, I get to play hooky in elementary school to watch you on TV for hours all right, next to take my call.
Speaker 12: Sure, Hey, two.
Speaker 11: Things soccer here. Obviously, two major events went down, not only do the women unfortunately, I thought it was a great selection. I know they didn't have the best showing throughout the tournament, but they went out in style. They went out as me anyone who watches the sport, Sweden is one heck of a team and it was a tough way to go out. But hey, I'm still proud of them. I know. Anybody that's upset with them going out, listen, they're probably an armchair or there's some political in their mind. They probably don't even watch soccer that often. Anyone who watched the sport should appreciate the way they went out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean they had a great opportunity. They were the better team. Thanks for the phone call, Harry. It's just you know, Megan Rippino can be polarizing. She's off putting, and she wasn't. She's not a good player anymore. She's a legend. But it felt like they were holding on to some memories there by having a couple of players out there who probably shouldn't have been Yeah seen, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the they had some injury problems too, so that kind of messed up the squad. But it shouldn't be lost that winning two back to back is a tremendous accomplishment and it is sort of the end of a golden generation, you know, where a bunch of the players that we've known for years and years and years are on their way out.
Speaker 1: Now. Yeah, you got Alex Morgan, Arlie Lloyd, Megan Rappino.
Speaker 3: Even Julie Arts is probably out. There's a bunch, so there's like a new generation coming in. It's just too bad because what you want is obviously you want to win, but especially Sophia Smith, who she's sort of the next one, She's the next great.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 3: This was sort of her moment to pass the torch to her, and unfortunately she had a chance to win the game and miss the p K. That's just a real bummer for her.
Speaker 1: Gus in La, Hi, Gus, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Good morning, mister Patrick Fritzy tipping the cap to you, brother. I don't know if I'll ever I would ever do that, period, no question, if I'd ever do that. Best and worse at the weekend, got a couple of best best My Dodger's going down to San Diego and proven once again. Wide to the Little Brother and another another Best of the Weekend. This one kind of means spirited, but it's best to me. The Angels have lost six in our b They are now seven games out of the final wildcard spot. Art Moreno, you played yourself. You thought that you would write the ship, and yet all you're doing is playing Otani right to Dodger Blue. Thank you for that. A couple of worst of the weekends. Worst of the weekend is the demise of the pac twelve man. I mean, I grew up in Mace, Arizona, in the backyard of Arizona State, and then I grew up to be a Trojan. And seeing this conference just totally just dismantled, almost in like like within a summer has been something hard to watch because all the great basketball that's been played, all the great football has been played, and you know, now it's all gone and everything. And then the little bonus of a Worst the weekend, Cincinnati Red's rookie pitcher first two pitches of his major league career go for home runs. I hope it is a little bit of a precursor to a Cy Young Award. Winning career for that young man. You boys have a great we.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, Gus. Yeah, you know, we used to get caught up in tradition, remember the bowl games, like the Big Ten and the Pac twelve. Like you can't get rid of that, you know. I was told that when I said, look, they're trying to exponite the playoff system. And then they're like, well, you know, you can't give up these bowl games. You can't give up these matchups and the Big Ten and the Pac twelve. And I go and everybody kept telling me all these college football and centers, there's contracts. Do you know that? Do you follow the sport? I'm like, dude, I'm kicking your ass on the exclusive that they're moving this up. They don't care about those contracts. Do you think Florida State, Oh my god, you got a contract for the next twelve years, Clemson, you'll get out of these contracts. And we saw that. But the tradition, that's what you know, we grew up with that. There's no tradition. They don't even care about rivalries anymore. It's about the bag. As Dion says, yes.
Speaker 3: It's going to say that the whole tradition thing seems a little overplayed. There's a couple of great traditions in college football, but it was really just up until recently that we're like sort of randomly assigning who was the national championship. You know, by well, strength of schedule, you beat these guys, so you're the one that won.
Speaker 1: Or the one year I think it was Colorado and Michigan shared the national title, right co national chair was that Georgia Tacker.
Speaker 3: I don't think that that's the great tradition that we're missing at the dah. What are we going to do about the history of randomly assigning who's the winner?
Speaker 1: But this is what college football brought upon itself. Nobody saw it coming until they realized they couldn't get out of the way of it. And it's just an avalanche tsunami where you're going, oh my god, we're in trouble now. I'm sure these other schools are going, we got out, we get a bigger payday. Everybody was worried about that. I thought that the fact that you had more playoff spots would mean that there would be less realignment, that you would stay in your conference, you'd win your conference, you would have an automatic berth and Oregon and Washington are quality programs, but they're not going to stick around because you go, wait, what is our business model here? And you found out they didn't have a business model. It was based on you getting subscriptions. Hey, we need you to buy into Amazon here or Apple or whatever it is. You're going, what no linear TV? Crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Mark?
Speaker 8: Should the Rose Bowl just be the Big Ten championship game?
Speaker 1: Now? Well, from what I'm told, whether it happens or not, because this is all fluid, I don't I don't want to get you know, chastised, as I normally do whenever I speak out of my lane with college football. But can you have a Big Ten title game in the Midwest and then change it the following year to the West coast? Alternate?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, just that's been thrown out, thrown out. I just want to lend everybody I'm not reporting that.
Speaker 8: Minnesota, Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: Yes, first he reported Lincoln Riley took an NFL job.
Speaker 1: Now he's doing this. Yeah, I get that. Stay in your lane, you know, SportsCenter boy? Okay, yes, Bruce Feldman, he knows more college football than I do. He'll join us coming up next Dan Patrick Show Get Refunds dot com. You know it's great when I hear from you, when I tell you about a partner, and it can help you help your business. If you own a business with more than five employees, you could have money waiting for you to be claimed.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Innovation Refunds will help you helping small businesses that qualify get a business payroll tax refund. So it's an actual refund from the Employee Retention Credit or the e ERC. I know sounds complicated, but Innovation Refunds will do all the work. They work with independent network of tax professionals. They get the information and then they process your claim and then you see if you qualify. So if you have five or more employees and you survived the pandemic, no upfront charge. They don't get paid unless you do. But go to Innovation Refunds dot com and see if you're eligible. To get started. You call one eight four to three Refunds one eight four to three Refunds or you can go to Innovation Refunds dot com. Good luck. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Owning a Mercedes benzev isn't just extraordinary, it's extra easy. With full remote access to your vehicle from your phone via the Mercedes Me Contact app. Vehicle is all electric, the feeling is ome Mercedes Choice, All yours. Learn more MBUSA dot com slash eq. I mentioned a couple things with college football. I thought that when we had expansion, therefore we might not have realignment as far as the playoff expansion, that maybe more schools would stay together, and then you try to win your conference, then you have an automatic berth. Obviously that didn't work out, And the question is what's next. It's about your footprint. Where is your footprint? And the map of the United States? And if you're the Big ten and you could get into SEC country, would be ACC country with Clemson in Florida State. But still you're going south and you can't say, well, that won't happen, because nobody thought UCLA and USC wouldn't happen. And what's the SEC do? Does the SEC say, you know what Big Ten's interested? In these two schools. Why don't we take these schools or maybe take one of the two schools. But I don't know. I don't think you can say, you know, that's off the board. Yes, I know you got the contracts with the ACC, but we've seen contracts broken. Bruce Feldman covers the sport, the athletics, National college football writer, Fox Sports College football reporter as well. Where do you want to start with this, Bruce?
Speaker 10: I mean, I think it's such a vast landscape that we're talking about, Dan, where everything is getting overturned, and I think you hit on it where whatever somebody said two weeks ago, who's in a position of leadership You almost have to take it with a grain of salt. In fact, you do because we've seen this time and time again. It's the money that drives everything. And I know we use it from conference realignment. It's really conference consolidation and the smaller, smaller, non glamorous, non maybe big brand programs are getting squeezed now because there's TV money and it's the tea the influence that's driving a lot of this. And full disclosure, like you said, I worked for Fox Sports, but I think it's also it's like a killer be killed vibe right now in college athletics, but.
Speaker 1: You start to look at what's next. It's Florida State and Clemson. Is that what's next? If that even happens.
Speaker 10: I think those are the that's right now what everyone's kind of keeping an eye on. Florida State's leadership has really been vocal about trying to get out of the grant of rights that it has with the ACC, which by the way, ESPN is heavily involved in. So you wonder is ESPN going to go bid against itself? You know, much like like the the Big Ten has heavily influenced from Fox, the SEC now has extremely big influence, you know, by ESPN. So it's it's a really complicated dynamic because you have a bunch of other schools.
Speaker 2: In the ACC.
Speaker 10: You know, I think you'd include Virginia North Carolina in terms of those states and what their TV rights could mean from those states. I don't think that the fact that North Carolina is a great basketball has great basketball history, and some of these programs that are probably more basketball schools and football schools, I don't think.
Speaker 2: That that drives the bus.
Speaker 10: We saw that the last decade from the conference moving around.
Speaker 2: But I definitely think.
Speaker 10: The ACC is really the last thing at this point before I think we start to see do some of the TV drivers end up saying, hey, it's really sure about this school the schools that are already in the conference, and whether they're in the SEC, whether they're in the Big Ten. You have to wonder if those other schools don't really drive TV revenue, are those the ones who eventually get squeezed where this killer be killed game you know keeps unfolding.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was wondering about this that you got Purdue and Illinois and Maryland and Rutgers and nobody cares about their do you know, has a pretty good history there. But the other schools, do we really care about their football programs? Can you say, hey, we have some nice parting gifts for you, but we want to move on and bring in somebody else besides these programs.
Speaker 10: I mean, at some point, you know, back in the USC sanctions days, USC you know a lot of money people at USC were very frustrated, Why are we getting the same raid as Oregon State and Washington State.
Speaker 2: They don't drive the eyeballs we do, and.
Speaker 10: They're along, you know, we're we're along drive and everything, and they're just along for the ride. I think if the leagues make these decisions, because honestly, one of the things that logically you looked at when you saw, you know, some of the move momentum for Washington and Oregon to join the Big Ten late last week, and I could I was like, oh, I could totally see why this makes a lot of sense, especially if it works into a Friday NV package that's tied into it. But if you're those other schools Indiana, you know, you rattled off a bunch of them, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, you just got further away from from the top by adding you know, Phil Knight's program and Washington. I mean, they both have played in the playoff, not that long ago. One played for the national title. One you know, one has been won a national title, you know, in the nineties. So I think that is a question that they have to be asking themselves, because obviously they went along for what they think is in the best interest of the Big Ten. I'm not ultimately sure if it's in the best interest of their own schools, But right now, what choice do they have if you're sitting there looking at what happened to Washington State and Oregon State and Stanford and cal.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to Bruce Feldman. He works for the Athletic National College Football Writer and also is a sideline reporter for Fox Sports their college football package. How could the PAC twelve have prevented this?
Speaker 10: I think they had one commission who seemed like he never in Larry Scott, who kind of lost track of keeping the main thing the main thing and was so excited to like chase innovation at the expense of reality. And then they went with another outside the box hire in George Kleavkov, who just really kept on. You know, I hate to use this analogy, but it's the one that kind of came to mind as I watched this, where it's like, there's an old Seinfeld episode where George Costanza seems to bluff his future in laws all the way out to the Hamptons for something that doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: That's kind of.
Speaker 10: How this felt for the PAC twelve, where it's like, hey, you know, I saw this stuff late last week. People were saying on Friday morning, PAC twelve schools are cautiously optimistic quote unquote that this is going to work out. They've been cautiously optimistic for months, and almost everybody else was like, Hey, this thing is falling apart right in front of us. Do you really buy it? And they did, and I just think, you know, it's that expression. He just did not read the room right. They went down this road, you know, with this Apple distribution deal that I think it concerned especially Oregon to look at it and go, you know what, a couple of years from now, we can still have a path to the playoff. We stay in the in the Pac twelve because of the way things are set up, but eventually people will not be able to see our games. And if recruits can't see you and their families can't see you, you really can't keep recruiting those kinds of the same caliber of kids. They're going to go someplace else and the money gap is going to widen. There was no guarantees into the deal.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: We reported a lot on this over the weekend with the Athletic about just what the money was.
Speaker 2: And I think that whole thing.
Speaker 10: Again, I just think they really did not evaluate the TV media landscape, at least the way Brett yor Mark Who's also a relative and new commissioner did for the for the Big Twelve. He was very aggressive and I think he had a better feel for the for what was going on around him in terms of the media landscape, whereas the PAC twelve once again seemed to be really asleep at the wheel.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know how they could have been cautiously optimistic on Friday morning when I was told Thursday night that Washington and Oregon around that that that that they weren't even showing up for that you know, conference call or whatever it was, they were done, and that you know, then the PAC twelve they were cautiously optimistic, And I go, I don't know what you're optimistic about because now you're you know, you're losing two of your marquee schools there. What do you do with these other four schools?
Speaker 10: Now, that's a great question, because I don't know if they do some kind of partnership in some way with the Mountain West schools. I mean San Diego State. There was a dance with San Diego State that's gone on for months. Obviously, that's Southern California. They have a new football stadium, really good basketball program, as you know, I mean, that's into the southern California market. It's that's a legit program. I don't know if they grab SMU, which is kind of floating. I don't know how SMU fits in geographically, but it's a good football program obviously in big market, big media market.
Speaker 2: Then you look at like UNLV. We see UNLV.
Speaker 10: You know, the Pac twelve has had a relationship with them moving the moving both their media day and their basketball tournament to Vegas. I don't know if they try to get Boise State, try to get Colorado State. I'm not sure what's in it for the Mountain West schools to go, hey, we like our leadership there. Now we're going to go over here where things seem to be falling apart. You know, if I was the fourth remaining schools who kind of been left holding the.
Speaker 2: Bag, I think they have to look at it and go, you.
Speaker 10: Know what, maybe we look at the Mountain West. They have survived some of this. Where the reality is I think right now it's a hard reality. But I think both Oregon State, who by the way, just won ten games and that's a legit football program, and Watchhington State, which has had a lot of success in the last decade. I don't know if they say, you know what, we're more like Boise State. We're more like Colorado State. Those other guys left us behind. We're going to go ride with them. I don't know exactly how this plays out for Cal and Stanford. They've had all sorts of issues internally and from a resource standpoint, and maybe Cal maybe Stanford looks at it goes you know, we are an elite athletic programming all these other sports WHEREUIN championships and produce Olympians.
Speaker 2: Maybe football is something.
Speaker 10: We have to reevaluate because it's just not as viable the way this landscape is shaping up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Stanford football has not been good and nobody's showing up for that. I'll leave you with this. I have no information on this. I just speculated on this. You're Lincoln Riley, You're getting ready to go to the Big ten. You got one more year, you got Caleb Williams. Could you see a scenario where Lincoln Riley goes pro.
Speaker 10: If you know, I'll give you scenario. One of my buddies, Brady Quinn, who you know. I think we had this conversation offline once. If the Washington football team. Commanders are awful this year and they end up with the first pick. Caleb Williams is from there. He is a He would be a huge, huge get. I think he would have been the first pick in the draft this year if he could have come out. I don't you know, again, I don't know if Lincoln wants. I think he knows the NFL will always be there for him. I don't think the idea of taking the USC to the Big ten.
Speaker 2: Is daunting it all to him because I think he knows. I mean, we're going to see what happens with you.
Speaker 1: But I thought it was daunting better when he was at Oklahoma. Wasn't there a little bit of pushback of joining the SEC when he was head coach at Oklahoma?
Speaker 10: I mean, that's been that's been speculated a lot, and I think a lot of people who are you know, especially on the Oklahoma side, are not thrilled with him that he bolted.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's you know, how real that was. I do think though, if.
Speaker 10: You know, somebody said to him, hey, you can coach Caleb in the NFL, I think that would probably be something he would certainly have to think about. But again, I don't know if he's ready to jump out of USC after just two years either, I mean, moved his family all the way across country, young kids. I don't know if he's definitely going to make that move. But again, if if you start seeing the Washington team end up going like you know, oh and eleven, I could definitely see them looking at it going you know what we can get Caleb. We get Caleb's you know, play caller and a guy who knows him better than anybody.
Speaker 2: We can really sell that as a as a new future. You know.
Speaker 10: Maybe it's like a Jimmy Johnson Dallas deal where it's like we're going to offer him something he can't refuse. But again that's just that's just a lot of speculation at this point.
Speaker 1: And that's all it is. It was just me musing out loud. I don't don't want anything attached to this other than I'm thinking out loud. Bruce, great to talk to you, great work this weekend, Thanks for joining.
Speaker 2: Us, great see and thank you Bruce.
Speaker 1: The Athletic National college football writer, Fox Sports College Football reporter. It's all about the networks. TV networks, That's it. They have been running the show. I mean ESPN has been running college football for a long long time. You noticed, have you heard anything from the home office of the NC double A. Has anybody he heard anything from any exactly? Oh? Yeah, toothless. They got nothing to do, nothing to say, just uh, what's going on? Who went where? Okay, Well, let me finish my sandwich.
Speaker 4: We're gonna bust Wyoming for giving a kid a milkshake?
Speaker 1: Yes, set.
Speaker 3: But the thing I don't understand about the TV contracts is that it's coming down to when the TV contracts end, what conferences get to survive. If you if say the PAC twelve had done a you know, an eight year deal instead of twelve year deal, they probably would have been the ones leading now. But because somebody else had a shorter deal, now they're out of luck.
Speaker 5: I don't understand how that's.
Speaker 1: Like, well, there's no there was no exit fee for these these schools to leave the PAC twelve the other conferences. If you're leaving, you go, oh, we got to pay. I mean San Diego State had an exit fee to leave the Mountain West. These schools were like, uh, we're ready to go, we can leave.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pauling the ESPN deal with college football with the playoffs, blah blah blah. It ends after the twenty five twenty six season the current contract.
Speaker 1: But then you have the ACC with their conference with their contract except for another twelve years something crazy like that. Florida State. I mean, they're saying the things out loud that you would think they would be saying behind the scenes. Let's get out of here, you know, ACC, Let's go, And it feels like that that's the next step if somebody takes that step in college football. The other stuff it's sort of ancillary, like Washington State joins with who the Mountain West? Okay, if you had Florida State and or Clemson try to secede from the ACC, Yeah, that's a big deal. That's a big deal.
Speaker 8: Yes, college football seems like there's no more secrets. The best part about college football for me, especially when I was younger, was man, that guy's in a new Range Rover. That guy's in a new whatever. No, no, no. Spencer Rattler was on his Twitter page, Hey everybody, come to this dealership. I just got myself a new Range Rover. Sure before he used to be like hash into paper bag. Now it's the wild West. NCAA is like hands. We have nothing to do with any of this.
Speaker 1: Let me take a break. We'll come back. We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend. More phone calls to update the poll results as well. Back after this. When's the last time you checked your tires? I mean really checked your tires? A close inspection moren ow tires a danger to you, your passengers, other drivers, take the time inspect them. Grab a quarter diket in the tread and then you could see maybe the top of Washington's head. Then you know it's time to replace. And that means you go to ti rac dot com slash dam. Use the easy to use tied decision Guide, get a personalized recommendation the right tires for how and what and where you drive. They got the full lineup of Goodyear tires chipped fast and free to you or one of over ten thousand recommended installers, and also mobile tire installation available in a lot of areas. They bring the tires to you at home or work, install them on site, all trick, convenient, ti rac dot com slash dam and you'll see the entire Goodyear test results. Special offers they have they got their own test track. They put these tires through the wringer and then give you all the information tire rack dot com slash dan tire rac dot com the way tire buying should be. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 9: Listen to Comeback Stories. I'm Darren Waller. You may know me best as a tied end for the New York Giants. You may also know me for my story of overcoming addiction and alcoholism. You may have heard a few of my tracks as an artist or a producer, and you may have seen the work that I've done through my foundation. And you may know my friend and co host Donnie Starkins as well. He's a mindfulness teacher, a yoga instructor, a life coach, a man fully invested in seeing people reach their fullest potential. And We've come to form this platform of comeback Stories to really highlight not only our own adversity, but adversity in the lives of well known guests with amazing stories. Catch us every week on Comeback Stories on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Jade the poll results if you can see, and then we'll give you best and words to the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a few of them going right now. We have would you rather be confident or talented? Right now, we've got about a sixty to thirty split talented over confident?
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: We also put up another one. The US women's national team getting eliminated from the World Cup made you happy or said right now? Fifty eight percent it made them sad. Okay, still an uglier number than I'd like, but at least it's on the right side.
Speaker 1: I didn't really have any kind of reaction. I was not surprised, and my family as friends with Alyssa nai Or, the goaltender, so I wanted her to do well and then she played great. Didn't deserve to be on the losing end of that. But it just felt like there was a youth movement. There were injuries, and there were some older players with the US team. Not really a great combination. Just felt like they were off by a year or so, and they do have a great future, But keep in mind, so does so do these other countries. There are a lot of these countries never even had programs for women did.
Speaker 3: The South African team is electric. They were absolutely phenomenal. It was fun to see them get knocked out because they were sort of undersized, but crazy fast, super skilled.
Speaker 5: They were a ton of fun to watch.
Speaker 1: And then didn't you have a go fundme page for one of the countries to.
Speaker 3: Make Yeah, yeah, but I mean that's the thing that like the US not to start a thing. But the US women's team has sort of benefited on the fact that other countries haven't invested nearly as much in women's sports as we have. So like the Jamaican team, they're still not really investing much money in the women's game, just as obviously by the GoFundMe.
Speaker 1: You know, all right, best and worst of the weekend, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 6: My best of the weekend other than performing at Daris's concert. New Hall of Famer DeMarcus Ware's moving speech over the weekend in Canton had tributes for former players that passed away to Marius Thomas, Ronnie Hillman, Marying Barber. He said, I held some seats in my heart for you guys here today, keep resting in peace, fellow. So he left three empty seats by a way who was making a speech. I thought that was pretty awesome.
Speaker 7: Worst.
Speaker 6: Your Reds have now lost six straight games and their quest overtake the Bruis in the L Central. Three losses at the Cubs, three straight l's at home against the Nationals.
Speaker 1: Okay, they played in the National League Central. What did I say, America League Central?
Speaker 6: I said, overtake the Bruis in the AL Central. That's correct, that would be the NL Central.
Speaker 1: Right, And he spent too much time rehearsing here. Something might have been it Seaton O'Connor. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 3: The best of the weekend is messy. Watching that dude plays like the most fun. It's like watching a guy who he's like, just a great player, just showed up at a charity event or something and he's just having so much fun.
Speaker 5: No offense to the players, No offense, oh, no offense.
Speaker 1: Okay. Is this similar to when Stefan Marbury went to China? It might be similar, and he was averaging forty seven a game, and able to statue he was a big deal in China.
Speaker 3: He's just Messi plays like there's absolutely no pressure whatsoever, Like he'll he'll deliver these passes like he'll put it on a platter for a dude just to all you have to do is tap it in right like it happened last night. And this dude hit the ball twenty yards away from the goal. It was terrible, a terrible shot.
Speaker 5: And Messi just turned around and walked away because he knows.
Speaker 1: He knows.
Speaker 3: I'm like, wow, that dude's probably not on the level of what I'm used to or whatever. That guy, as soon as he missed the shot, looked right at Messi like, oh my god, is he mad. He didn't even care. He's just running out there smile and laughing. There's also this kid, he's eighteen years old named Ben Kramashi. He plays for Inner Miami, and he's like a supposed to be. He's a really good player. He's like the one of our next big things. He I can only imagine what he's going through right now because he's he's taken very seriously as a player, and now he has Messi at some of the Bousquettes. Some of these other guys coming in his career is really going to take off. My worst of the weekend is a listed Neare. She didn't deserve for the game to end that way. She played so well, she had a couple of big stops. She was she put in a penalty kick for the team ahead of some of the other players.
Speaker 5: She absolutely did not deserve that. That was just really really unfortunate.
Speaker 1: Marvin Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 8: First, best of the weekend. I went to my first country music concerts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yep, and it was really good. I like when you saw Darius after the show, like.
Speaker 8: And so he kind of kind of looked at me. I was like, oh, man, I replaced the mclove and he goes, oh yeah. He was like, man, finally got another brother on the show. He's all right good. So it was great me and him. Super duper nice. Matthew Berry super nice. I saw Paul Paps there, I saw Todd Fritz there, and I saw Mario.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wait, these are your best or worst?
Speaker 8: I like all these people I just mentioned other best. I met Chris from the Wire, the actor that played Chris from the Wire. I was at working in New York Liberty game yesterday in Brooklyn, and he was there and so I'm kind of near the camera guy and he's over front row. I said, oh man, big fan couldn't have been a nicer guy. And so he's on another show called Power and he goes, you know, I don't hear that very much because he's expecting me to say I love you on the wire. Because so it was like, oh man, it's nice to hear because you know. So that was it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna start with the negative. The La Angels. Last week when we left you, they were four games out of winning the division. They're making a play on the Texas Rangers. In less than a week and actually a week they're ten and a half back. They've lost six. The Rangers are one to six. It's I wouldn't say it's over, Johnny, but it's real close to over. Best of the weekend, the Tim Anderson and Jose Ramirez baseball fight. A couple of things I like to Rarely do you see fights in baseball actually happen. They start to happen, Then the pile hits whoever the umpire was second base said.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let this play. Oh he's stepped away.
Speaker 4: It reminded me of those hockey official officials when until they hit the deck and there's you know, skates, and they let him brawl and he just goes, let's see what happens here. And it was a real, actual fight for eight seconds.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I loved it. Tim Anderson going down was awesome. Shut him up. And Ramirez is like, you know, I'm tired of you disrespecting the game. And then so when Anderson takes off his gloves and he's like squaring up and I'm going, oh wow, this guy looks like he can fight. Yeah, and then he takes the first swing and Ramirez is being held back and sort of wildly just goes wham and Tim Anderson goes down, goes Anderson. Final hour on the way, more of your phone calls