Speaker 1: Rube.
Speaker 2: I'm Holly Fry and this is Season two of Our Skin, a personal discovery podcast. Today we are so excited to welcome Ivy Smith to Our Skin. Ivy is a model, an actress, a stunt driver, and a passionate advocate for soriasis awareness whose journey is as multifaceted as it is powerful. And like other guests we've had, Ivy first noticed signs of soriasis shortly after having a child, in this case, after the birth of her second child, and at the time she wasn't sure what was happening, just that her body was reacting in a way that felt unfamiliar and overwhelming. During her third pregnancy, she experienced another major flare, but like many people, Ivy didn't seek treatment right away. It actually took time to seek out a diagnosis. Since then, she has used her platform to speak honestly about the emotional and physical realities of life with psoriasis. Her openness has helped others feel less alone, and it pushes the entertainment industry toward a more inclusive vision of beauty and health. So today we are talking to Ivy about visibility, vulnerability, and the wild ride that brought her here, Ivy, Welcome to our skin. We are so glad you're here.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Take us back to when you first noticed changes in your skin and thought like, this might be psoriasis. That was right after you had your second child, right.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes, so I actually didn't know x risies existed. I just saw like a lot of flakes coming out from my hair and it was itchy and painful, and I was like, what's going on, Well, maybe my hormones were changing because I had another kid. Yeah, I don't know what's going on. And I was very stressed out at the time, trying to balance another baby and work, money, life in general. And I kind of waited for a bit and it got worse and worse and worse, and it was very painful, and I was like, I need to do something about this. So I finally went to the doctor like a year later. And I know I shouldn't have done that, you know, I should have went sooner. Maybe I could have helped my crisis journey a little bit better. And that's when my doctor told me it was crisis. I didn't know what it was, and they gave me some pamphlets to read about it.
Speaker 2: I hope you will give yourself a little bit of grace though, because when you have a newborn, it's not like you're like and let me add another doctor's appointment to the mix. So I'm not gonna guilt you at all for waiting a while to get it checked out. You then had another flair during your third pregnancy. Did you talk to your doctors about that pattern? Pregnancy seem to be such a trigger for you.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think about it at the time. I just thought, you know, oh, it just came back, another flare. You know, why am I so stressed?
Speaker 2: Why am I so stressed with? Yeah, exactly three kids and a job. But why I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: It is interesting because so many of the people we've talked to on the show, pregnancy is when it first shows up for them, So there is clearly a link there. I'm curious, though, now you are past that third pregnancy, how does your psoriasis show up now? Have the patterns of what triggers flares changed over time? Have you identified different patterns?
Speaker 3: So it is actually it was usually on the back of my scalp, in my ears, around my ears, and then it's going on my other parts of my body, like my arm, my hand, my face, my neck, my legs. So it's it's spreading. I guess you could say, I don't know the term or if it is spreading or it's just my immune system going off and saying, hey, you're stressed out, chill out.
Speaker 2: You are an actress and a model, among other things, so of course in those industries your appearance is something that you have to confront for work a lot of the time. How did people react on sets if you were there and having a flare and was there an understanding early on of whatsiriasis was and what you were actually going through?
Speaker 1: So good question.
Speaker 3: In the beginning, I'm still alone embarrassed, but I'm trying to like get over that. But in the beginning, I had to tell the makeup artist the hair person that hey, I have soriasis and it's not contagious. Actually, back then they didn't know a lot about psiasis, so I had to kind of educate them and tell them what it is.
Speaker 1: And in a way in the beginning.
Speaker 3: Some were little standoffish and like okay, you know, I could see it in their face, like, yeah, they're using makeup brushes on me and like on parts of my skin or to cover it up. And I felt that it was a little uneas then. But now when I go to shoots, they know what it is and most of them have it as well, so they're like, Okay, we got this.
Speaker 2: That's cool. You just mentioned and you've spoken in other places really candidly about the self consciousness that you have felt during flares. Was there a particular moment when you started to challenge that instinct within yourself and share your skin more openly or was it a bit of a slower shift.
Speaker 3: Back then, it was a slower shift because I was telling people about it and they didn't know what it was. Not that many people knew about it, and I felt kind of alone, like am I an outcast? What's going on? What's going on with my body? Am I like an alien? People look at at me like, oh, what is that? Get away from me? They didn't say that per se, but I felt that right. I felt very insecure in my body back then.
Speaker 2: I'm curious do you think maybe subconsciously, as you were explaining it to other people and kind of self advocating, do you think you heard yourself and that helped ease that transition. When you're saying these things and you're explaining them over and over, are you also receiving that message and maybe getting a little more comfortable with the idea.
Speaker 3: I think when more people came out, I didn't feel alone, and it made me feel a lot more comfortable and welcoming to show it.
Speaker 1: Who cares? I have sur rises? Yeah, what do you have?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: But noah.
Speaker 3: I felt much more comfortable as people started saying I have it too, or my brother has or my sister has it, or my mom has it, And it felt more comfortable and I started saying to myself like, hey, this is normal now, let me just embrace it. And then my insecurity started to fade away. I felt good about myself.
Speaker 2: I understand you are also a stunt driver. I have so many questions how did you gain this particular skill? And also, aren't you supposed to be avoiding stress theoretically or is it for you something that's actually a stress release. I could see that being the case as well.
Speaker 3: It's like a mental game when I'm doing stunts or I'm on a show and they need me to do certain things, it's like playing chess, Like okay, how am I going to do this? If I do this, they will do that. Or if I do this, I could do that. So it's kind of mentally, I guess, challenging me in a way, and then I can overcome it and it feels good. It's like satisfying to be like, Okay, I did it feels good and then the thrill of the I guess you know, it's like when you're riding on a roller coaster. H you'reic heart dropped and it's like the blood is pumping. It feels like exhilarating to me. So when I race and I do that and do stunts and stuff like that, I love it.
Speaker 2: You get the adrenaline rush of the danger and then the dopamine hit of having solved the problem. Yes, I can see where that's powerful. Chronic conditions like siriasis can really shake a person's sense of control. And I'm wondering how you, and this may tie to the answer you just gave me, how you manage those moments when siasis still flares, even after all of your inner work and advocacy. Do you look at that as a puzzle that you have to solve now? To you?
Speaker 3: Okay, so of course, I understand that stress kind of flares it out. It's hard to manage stress, but I know I have to, and that's another challenge I'm trying to deal with and overcome. But I'm trying to learn ways to kind of alleviate that, like working out. I just went to gym this morning and just doing breathing exercises to kind of help and understand that I can't control everything and learn how to let it go.
Speaker 2: One thing that you mentioned earlier and that you've expressed in other interviews is that you do wish you had sought medical treatment sooner. And we talked a little bit about some of the reasons that might have been the case. But what was the moment that got you to say, all right, let's go to the doctor. I need an appointment.
Speaker 3: Well, I knew that whatever was happening to me was not norramal at all. And it was embarrassing to even wear a dark colored shirt because all the flakes will come out and it just shows up in my hair because I have black hair, so it's definitely going to shine. And I can't put my hair in a ponytail like I used to because they'll see it. It was getting to a point where I couldn't live in a comfortable stage at life, and I was trying to hide it and it was getting warm, and then I have to figure out a new way to hide it, and I'm just like, I need to get this checked. Not only hiding it was an issue is the pain and it was very annoying.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things that causes like a stress spiral. Right. The stress contributes to it, but then you get stressed because you're trying to conceal it, and then it gets worse and it just keeps going out of control. It is, as we know from talking to a lot of people, not easy to navigatesoriasis solow and it is also not easy to reach out and ask for help. Today, as we step into skin history, we're going to tell the story of how one classified ad a birthday gift turned into the largest national patient advocacy group for people with psoriasis, that is the National Psoriasis Foundation. We're going to talk about that, and I'm going to bring Ivy along for the ride right after this. For today's trip through skin history, we are not headed to ancient Egypt or nineteenth century France this time. Don't worry. We're not talking about gross treatments. We are traveling to a much more recent time. We are headed to nineteen sixty six, to Portland, Oregon. So picture it a black and white classified ad section tucked in the back pages of the Oregonian newspaper, and in between listings for used cars and help wanted ads, one small notice catches the eye. It's from someone looking to connect with others who have psyriasis. Just a few words, but this ad changed everything because the person it was placed for, Beverly Foster, was desperate and her husband Larry, placed this ad for her as a birthday gift. She had very severe psoriasis covering nearly eighty percent of her body, and the itching was relentless, and the pain was constant, and the emotional understandably almost unbearable. Beverly was really lonely, and she wanted to know if anyone else had any experience like hers. IVY. How sweet is it that her husband tried to figure out a way to find her friends by putting out this ad.
Speaker 1: That is very sweet. I wish I had that support when I had my first flare, And.
Speaker 2: Of course back then there was no internet right there weren't patient communities. There was no national psoriasis Foundation. There were just a few pamphlets that you could get from your doctor's office, and otherwise it was pretty much silence. In the nineteen sixties, treatment options for ciriasis were really really limited. Often ineffective coal tar preparations, which were messy and smelly, were among the few available treatments. Some doctors would prescribe cordico steroids, but of course those come with significant side effects, especially when used long term, and many patients were kind of just told to live with it, or they were prescribed treatment that barely made a dent in their symptoms. So for someone like Beverly who psoriasis was so extensive, finding relief felt nearly impossible. And at this point, the medical community did not fully understand poriasis as an autoimmune condition. That knowledge was just starting to come into focus in the nineteen sixties, and a lot of doctors treated it just as a skin disorder, not recognizing the complex autoimmunity that actually causes the disease. So there was a general sense that, like dandriff or dry skin, psoriasis wasn't a big deal, and that meant that treatments were often superficial At best. They addressed symptoms rather than the underlying causes. Soriasis in the nineteen sixties wasn't just misunderstood, it was largely invisible because all of this misunderstanding came with fears of stigma. Ivy. You have talked about even in this time of advocacy and having more information, there is still lots of stigma, right.
Speaker 1: I would think.
Speaker 3: So now that we have more knowledge of everything or about psoriasis, I feel that helps. It takes one step and it just snowballs into something bigger and better.
Speaker 2: I know. I think it's a perfect thing to say because it ties in very much a Beverly's story because the general public at this point knew almost nothing about the condition. It's kind of like how you mentioned earlier, like when you first started explaining to makeup artists what was going on. They didn't know, and the little that the public did know at this point was often completely wrong. A lot of people still thoughtsoriasis was contagious, or that it was dirty and had to do with hygiene, or that it was somehow shameful, and this stigma led a lot of people to hide their symptoms and their stories, and dermatologists even were pretty ill equipped, and general practitioners were even less prepared. There were no standard treatments that worked well for everyone. Research funding was minimal, and people with psoriasis felt isolated and ashamed and alone, something that a lot of people today still feel before they find all of these communities. So when Larry Foster placed that classified ad for his wife, he was really doing a quietly radical thing. He was asking people with psoriasis to raise their hands and say I'm here and kind of come out in that regard. And the cool thing is people responded. It is reported that the first day that that ad appeared, hundreds of people contacted Beverly. People from across Oregon and even farther wrote or called to say I have this too. I have psoriasis, or my spouse does, or my child has it, and we don't know where to turn either. Can you relate to that feeling? Do you think you would have responded to an AD like this if you had discovered your psoriasis in a time when there wasn't a lot of online information and doctors were not as informed.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Like I told you earlier that I felt isolated and like an alien. I didn't know anybody that hadn't then slowly started coming out. So definitely, if I saw that ad, I would be thrilled in. I would definitely reach out and be a part of a trend group, you know, the Sizes team, right.
Speaker 2: I have to imagine that had to feel like this little flag of hope too, just to recognize someone else has stated publicly like, hey I have this, I'm looking for other people like me. If you're the other person like them, and you've never had anybody else say that, that's got to be like, that's the thrill in the rush right there. So people poured out their frustrations and their fears when contacting Beverly. Some of them had never spoken to anyone else about their psiriasis before. Others had been through years of ineffective treatment and feeling isolated, and a lot, just like Beverly, were overwhelmed by the emotional toll and the volume of correspondents that she received really surprised Beverly. But even more striking was the depth of pain and loneliness in those letters and those calls. It was so abundantly clear she was not alone. There was this whole community, and it was one that hadn't even known that it existed. So she started gathering those letters, she started calling back, and then she did something that would shape the next sixty years of patient advocacy. She decided to organize I love this. She started a local support group for people that were living with psoriasis. And this started out very, very small, a few dozen people gathering in church basements in Portland or community centers so that they could share their stories and ask questions and just support one another. But it did not stay small for very long. Word spread, more letters kept coming in, and soon this little support group was getting inquiries from across the country. And so what started as this simple casual gathering grew very quickly beyond something that a single person could manage, and Beverly realized people didn't just need local support, they need did a national voice. So she started the work of transforming this Oregon based support group into something much bigger. This seems to me so daunting, but I have to feel like it must have been such an empowering moment to realize that you inadvertently became a change maker, to want to transition into this that transition going National was not easy. Beverly had a lot to do. She had to learn about nonprofit law, she had to learn about fundraising and organizational management. All throughout this she was also managing her own very severe psoriasis. But she was very determined to ensure that no one else would have to feel alone as she had felt. I would imagine there would be a sense of identifying with this idea for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, it makes me want to like, is she alive? Can I contact her now and say thank you?
Speaker 2: Beverly? Beverly then, just a year after she started, so we're at nineteen sixty seven now, Beverly's local support group officially became the National Soriasis Foundation, and Beverly served as the organization's driving force. In those early years. She worked absolutely tirelessly to build the infrastructure that would support Sorias's patients nationwide, and the foundation started small. It was Beverly and a handful of volunteers that were working out of their homes, but it grew very rapidly. She understood that creating lasting change required a lot more than just good intentions. It required strategic thinking and medical expertise, and sustained advocacy Beverly was the executive director of the National Soriasis Foundation throughout its first crucial decade. She created public awareness of the fact that siriasis is not contagious and also can be debilitating and severe in an era during which ad campaigns put this disease in the same category as dandriff. She lobbied, she actually testified before Congress to establish funding for medical research and public education, and she was a patient advocate within the medical community. Have you had any contact with the National Psoriasis Foundation or other patient groups.
Speaker 1: I have not, but I am in a group on Facebook.
Speaker 3: I also tried to see if I could educate other people with it, but I would definitely be interested in another group seeing how I can help.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you have a good sense of support at this point in your journey with psoriasis?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I found out my dad had it.
Speaker 2: He didn't, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so he is a good support.
Speaker 2: Did that change your relationship with your dad?
Speaker 3: We always had a good relationship, but it also definitely made us closer, like, Oh, let's see what's stuff we could show each other.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is my that is amazing. So there's a little blip in Beverly's story. We don't know exactly what happened, but Beverly and Larry's marriage did end at some point during this whole journey. But she did meet the man that she would spend the rest of her life with at the twentieth anniversary party for the National Soriasis Foundation. That was doctor Kenneth Halprin. They got married in nineteen eighty nine and together they continued fundraising and advocating for patients, including being advocates for the AIDS community in the nineteen nineties. So they were way ahead of the curve in terms of really taking care of people in very organized ways. But I want to talk more about this little organization that could, the National Soriasis Foundation. By the early nineteen seventies, the National Soriasis Foundation had launched patient education efforts, newsletters, and fundraising campaigns, and they created educational materials that helped people understand their condition and advocate for themselves. And their focus wasn't just on treatments and things you could ask for. It was also just on dignity, helping people understand their condition and advocate for themselves and stop feeling ashamed of their skin. In nineteen eighty seven, the NPF funded its first grant, the Pilot Program Award. Since then, the NPF has invested more than thirty five million dollars to support the research of everyone from young doctors to academic scientists seeking to learn more about how to treat and live with soiasis, and on their website they list the active research projects that they are currently funding. This is very interesting reading if you've got some time and want to know what kind of things they are focusing their financial support on. It's pretty cool. I didn't want to spoiler you earlier when you asked, but Beverly passed away in two thousand and three, so you can't, unfortunately thank her in person, but you can thank her in the more general sense. That was just a couple of months before the National Toriasis Foundation's first official Capitol Hill Day. We're an army of NPF personnel and volunteers went to meet with congressional leaders and members to advocate for people with psoriasis. I'm getting very choked up about this.
Speaker 1: I know that this is a great inspiring story. I didn't even know about this.
Speaker 2: I know she's great. I really liked the idea that even though Beverly wasn't there for it, she was there for all of the planning, and she knew that this big moment was coming today. The National Soriasis Foundation is, of course, one of the world's leading patient advocacy organizations. It is the world's largest nonprofit serving people with psoriasis and soiatic arthritis, and it serves more than three million people annually through patient and professional health education and advocacy initiatives. This is so amazing to me because it just started with a few words in a newspaper. The Foundation's current scope is really remarkable, particularly when you consider those humble beginnings. Their research portfolio includes everything from basic science investigations into the immune system mechanisms underlying poriasis to clinical trials that are testing new treatments, and the foundation's advocacy work has been particularly impactful. Volunteers and end PF staff worked with Congress to establish and fund a federal Sooriatic Patient Disease Registry. So this registry actually helps researchers and policymakers understand the true burden of sooriatic disease and guides treatment development. So the concept of registry can sound a little scary sometimes, but this is a really good way to map what's really going on. The Foundation, though, has never forgotten those grassroots origins. Their walks to Cure Soriasis, raise funds for advocacy and research. It brings together local communities, just like Beverly's original support group did back in Portland. You can actually do an Internet search and find out if there's one near you. The Foundation's educational initiatives are incredibly comprehensive. They provide resources for patients who are navigating their treatment decisions. They provide support for families that are dealing with psoriasis. They also provide support for training health care providers. They have created online communities where people can connect. So it's the digital version, essentially of these letters and meetings that Beverly was part of all of those years ago. And they continue to advocate for mental health resources for patients because there's recognition now that psoriasis affects a lot more than just your skin. The Foundation has also expanded it's focus to include soriatic arthritis. That is, in case anybody hasn't been listening to our prior episodes, the joint disease that affects up to thirty percent of people with siriasis, and this expansion really does reflect this growing understanding that syriasis is a systemic condition that can affect multiple body systems. I think this also is kind of reflected in that everybody is learning about their own version of siriasis all the time. You mentioned earlier that it's starting to appear in place as it didn't before, and that's one of the many things that researchers can work on and try to understand. So these foundations are helping everybody to really gain a better perspective of what their bodies are doing. And this foundation's impact is visible not only in Washington, d c. Or in pharmaceutical journals, but also in patient support groups, facebook forums, local meetups, and digital campaigns that remind people you're not alone. You mentioned your online groups and how just knowing that other people are out there is helpful, whether you're actively participating or not. And it all tracks back to one woman in Oregon who just decided to ask for what she needed. Beverly Foster probably didn't think she was a revolutionary, but that birthday, Wish launched one of the most important advocacy organizations in American health history, and it proved that just one little voice asking a question can become a movement. This is so sweet. They very choked up over Beverly.
Speaker 1: Awesome story.
Speaker 2: She's pretty great, and it also really really illustrates something that's come up and you have mentioned it too, this idea that we all need connection, and that's a big part of the pariasis story. She wasn't putting out an ad saying that she wanted to find a cure. She just wanted other people. She wanted a community. I love it.
Speaker 1: It's nice.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed with Beverly. She was so afraid and so alone with like eighty percent of her skin affected this way, and then she put herself completely out there for the world, and in that shift changed the world for so many other people. And that's a tradition that really people like you are carrying on today. Whether you realize it or not. You are also putting yourself out there for the world. You have probably inadvertently educated makeup artists and other people in the industries that you work in to realize that they need to learn more about this. So thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I don't know it's said. I didn't even think about it like that.
Speaker 2: So just being a public person and saying I have this I needed to be dealt with and in your industry to say, hey, this is what it is, and advocating and explaining to those people. They came away from that interaction with you knowing more about psoriasis. So you're an educator, whether you knew it or not.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wonderful. I have two more questions for you today. We asked these at the end of every episode. The first is what suggestions do you have for people who may not have psoriasis themselves but they love someone who does and they want to be supportive. What is the best advice you can give them?
Speaker 3: I mean having somebody support me trying to help figure out what this was. I'm just trying to think back when I was like kind of alone and I didn't have the best support, Like I didn't know my dad had it. So yeah, definitely being supportive and helping me learn to love my imperfections.
Speaker 2: Last, but not least, if you could send one message to any listeners who might be grappling with their own diagnosis or waiting to see a doctor about it, what would that be?
Speaker 3: Oh, definitely. I mean, see a doctor, you know, don't wait too long like I did. I don't know if that would have helped anything, but definitely seek medical personnel to help alleviate because I know when I have it, it's painful. I still have a flare on my arm and it was painful and I'm just like, okay, let me put my ointment on it, and it kind of alleviated that.
Speaker 1: So, you know, just don't live in pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a quality of life issue. Yes, well, thank you so so much, IV for sharing your story with us. Be sure do appreciate it. Our skim is hosted by myself, Holly Frye, and executive produced and engineered by Ryan Martz. Our executive producer and writer is Meredith Barnes. If you enjoy the show, share it with your friends. You can also listen and follow on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.