Speaker 1: Guys, you're not gonna believe this. Len forgot to hit record, which is actually insane because it's like his one.
Speaker 2: Job, I joggle a lot of repossibilities.
Speaker 1: We've gotten through two thirds of the episode and now we have to do it all again. So taking it from the top, let's see if I can even remember.
Speaker 3: What I said.
Speaker 2: I think you can do it.
Speaker 1: Just because it's the same every time doesn't mean it's effortless. Hello everyone, and welcome back to another episode of Haunting. I'm your ghost host with the most Theresa, and I'm joined in studio by my familiar Merlin and our useless producer liability really Len, Today, we've got quite an unsettling story for you from our friend Darren. Oh, it's just the male the interruptions today, it's like people forget we're making art here, Just roll the tape.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I believe. I'm not a religious person at all, but I do consider myself very open. The only way that I could explain it is that it's like the first love thermodynamics, energy is neither created nor destroyed. Our consciousness is energy, so maybe when we die that energy continues on or changes into something else. My name is Darren. I'm a touring musician in a band called Phantom Planet, and I'm pretty sure I spoke to my grandfather through Luigi Burg multiple times after he passed away. I was in eighth grade and I met this kid in one of my classes named Corey. He and I became good friends pretty quickly. I would go to this place all the time. Six months later, he invited me to his house for his birthday. His house was pretty small. There was like a main living room, dining room, kitchen, two bedrooms where were hanging out goofing around as we would normally do. Eventually, we went into his game room and on the highest shelf he had a Wiji board. He mentioned that the Wiji board was his grandmothers who had died in that room, and it was more of like an antique, so that added to the mystique. We took it down and took it into the dining room and set it on the table. Corey and I both had our fingers on the pointer or plant chet. I look at Corey, I'm like, don't fuck with me because he's frankster and I knew that going into it. He's like, I swear I'm not going to. I decided that I would ask the questions because when I was a kid, I had tried your word before, but nothing really happened. I felt comfortable sort of like asking questions. The first thing I asked, is anybody there? There was maybe ten fifteen seconds of waiting, and it just started answering. It spelled out Sue. Corey looked at me and said, that's my grandmother. Her name was Sue. And then I said, do you have messages for us? It spelled out I love you. Corey looked at me and said she was saying I love you as she was dying. I thought Corey was messing with me. I looked at him, like, come on, man, I don't believe you. We ended up talking a little bit, just you know, asking basic questions. Eventually I said, are you in heaven? She said yes? I said are you happy there? And she said no. Corey and I kind of looked at each other and I'm like, that's kind of weird. And then she ended up spelling out that she missed her family. And then I said, what is it like in heaven? Can you prove you're there? Is there something physical you can do? She spelled out going into Corey's room in five minutes, which I thought was weird. I looked at Kory, I'm like, come on, man, you have to be messing with me, because I can't imagine if we're actually talking to a spirit here, that she's going to have a concept of like our time. That just doesn't sound right to me. I still think Corey's fuck with me, but I can see on his face he's starting to become a little apprehensive. He's a little confused. The two of us get up, We're just like, fuck it, let's do this, and he opens the door. When we entered Corey's room, we noticed that there was a mist in the room. It was hard to see through it. It was almost like smoke. It was just this thick fog in the room, no shape at all. It wasn't like a ghostly figure. Then we also noticed that it was very, very cold in the room. Like I made all the hairs on my arm stand up. The thermometer said sixty degrees. It was July. There wasn't an air conditioner in there, and it was hot outside it like the hottest point of summer. The rest of the house was definitely over ninety degrees, so it was like a thirty degree difference. Corey and I just look at each other in disbelief at what was going on. So we started screaming. As mom runs in the room. She looks and she's like, have you guys been lighting off fireworks in here? And Corey used to make fireworks, which is super dangerous. When we'd light them off, there was a lot of smoke, so we lit one off in the house. She was really pissed off at us. We had to calm her down. We're like, no, no, no. We had been using the Ouija board. We were talking, apparently to her mom. He died in the house. I asked her what heaven was like now the room is cold with this weird mist in it. She didn't really believe us, but she calmed down. She was like, all right, show me what's going on here. We moved the board into the living room and she sat down at the wag board with us. Corey's on one side of the couch and I'm on the other, and then his mom is sitting across the coffee table on the other side. We got back in touch with Sue, Corey's mom. She was asking questions just to see if we would get the answers right, and it was like you were on the phone. She was actually spelling up paragraphs to us. So eventually I'm just like, all right, well, are you here because it's Corey's birthday and the points are moved and highlighted. Yes, like are there other relatives? There is there someone else we could speak with? Yes, And then there was a pause. Ten or fifteen seconds passed, and then the planchette started moving more radically this time, like a different personality was coming through. I'm looking at Corey like, if you were making this up, you should win an award. Like it was amazing the way that everything changed. The first thing it says is high, and then it spelled out high you sons of bitches. I started laughing, got kind of nervous, and his mom looks at us. She's like, well, what did it spell out? I said it said hi, you sons of bitches, And she started laughing. She's like, wait a second, ask what his name is. We didn't even have to ask it. It responded to her voice with our fingers on the board, and it spelled out Jerry. She's like, that's uncle. He passed away when Corey was still a kid. She's like that was his personality. He called people sons of bitches or be like, hey, assholes, how you guys do it? I was always obsessed with ghosts and all that stuff, but I never saw anything. And then this was just like my moment of holy shit, there's something to this.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you sick little freaks can't keep your fingers off a Wiji board. I'm not complaining, you guys know, I love to gab. It's just funny when the thing you use to do a thing does the thing you use the thing to do, and you're like utterly shocked. Never mind, I'm just saying, be careful what you wish for, because once you on lisha Wiji board, that toothpaste is not going back in the tube. It's like the time I lead to Facebook photo of my algebra teacher as her for sona and everyone called her pemdas poodle for an entire semester. To be clear, no shades of the furry community. It's just her backtuffs were completely the uneven. Oh though, whatever, Darren will prove this point for me.
Speaker 3: Just wait.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, did anything good come in the mail today, Len, I'm expecting a pr kid from Miss Rigor Mortis. They do a mortuary, great foundation.
Speaker 3: I've been wanting to try.
Speaker 2: Amazy junk gunk junk. Oh, something from the Dandies.
Speaker 1: Did you just say the Damndies? The damn Dies are the Ambies for the damned duh, and the Andes are the Oscars of podcasts. To give me that dear Haunting team. Each year, the Damndes recognizes excellence in Purgatory's audible space, celebrating outstanding storytelling and its profound impact on the living and limbo communities. On behalf of the Academy, Haunting has been officially nominated for a Damndy Award, Oh my God, in the Producing category. We would like to invite the nominee Len to attend this event and celebrate his outstanding contributions to craft of audible storytelling. Fellow nominees include Love in Between six Feet, Blunder, Hans, You Should Know, and The Joe Rogan Experience. Congratulations, you know what? Gosh, I think it's time for an ad break. We'll be right back. Why does he get all the ad He doesn't do anything? Wow? I deserve a lot, we're back. You didn't throw to ads. Seriously, Len, you're actually so bad at this. I can't believe any organization, living or dead, thinks you are deserving of recognition. When I'm out here busting my ass and we're back, I'm assuming Len's in the driver's seat. I'm but an unwitting passenger on this endless red eye through this supernatural abyss. Guess it doesn't really matter what I say. It's not like anyone's listening. Lenn. Don't don't try to cheer me up right now. You wouldn't understand what this feels like to be constantly overlooked, overshadowed, your work, only acknowledged when you make a mistake. No appreciation, no respect. That's the cross eye Bear. I walk a lonely road, Len, It's the only one I've ever known. I don't know where it goes, but guess what it's home to me.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm grieving.
Speaker 1: Ah, let's just get back to Darryl Darren. That's what I said.
Speaker 3: Ten years later, I was twenty three, twenty four years old. I had a friend named Carlen who was kind of like an EmPATH, and she was very open to that kind of stuff, and we both had used Weedu words before, so we decided that it would be a cool idea for us to both try it because we both had these experiences with them. Also, I trusted her implicitly. I knew that she was going to mess with me. I went to Carlene's mom's place, thirty miles north of Los Angeles. She's like, all right, I have a wager word in my room. Let's go upstairs and get it out. We set the board on the floor in front of the TV, the board between us. We kind of set candles all around, just trying to create a mood. We get the whole thing set up, put our fingers on the plane chat. My first instinct was to contact my grandfather, whose name was don Or Donald, because he had passed away about three years prior. When he was alive, he and I used to talk about paranormal things, so I figured he would be the one to come through if anybody. He used to always tell me whenever I would ask about the Wiju board, He's like, Oh, they're real, don't ever use that. I think I just said, Dawn, are you here? It is very fast. It just moved over to yes, I said, I want you to prove that we're talking to you. Can you give us a message? The first thing he said was a Sam Lax drunk. So my first instinct was Sam, the bass player in my band. So Sam is at the airport and he's drunk. I'm like, okay, is he okay? It said, don't let him drive? I didn't know he was away. I tricked up the phone, tried calling him, couldn't reach him. At the time, Sam was living with Adam Lavigne now of Moroon five. But this is pre ruined. Five days when I couldn't reach Sam, I called at him, like they live together, so maybe he's with them, he answered, And I was kind of manic because I really wanted to make sure he was okay. And I said, are you with Sam? He's like no, I'm going to the airport and picking him up. I'm like, cool, don't let him drive. And Adam's like, what's going on? Man? I didn't tell him anything about the wijaboord. I just said I had a premonition and I decided to act on it rather than not. He's like, all right, man, well kind of scaring me. Hung up the phone. Thirty five minutes or so later, Sam calls me and he's like, what the hell was that all about? He scared the shit out of Adam. How did you know? I was at lax And how did you know I'm a little drunk. I didn't say anything about the WIJA word. I just said, oh, I just had this thing come over me, and I decided it's better to act on it than to dismiss it. And then suddenly you're in an accident or something. He didn't really believe me, but he's like, okay, whatever you say. We hung up the phone back to Carlene's room, fingers back on the board. I'm like, okay, you have my attention. So I said, do you have any other messages or any other way you can prove that we're talking to He said, yes, turn on the TV to channel thirty six, which is a weird channel because the number thirty six since I was very young has been my favorite number. There's a bunch of different reasons for it. It was one of my favorite baseball players numbers. I made a go kart with my dad. He put a number on the go kart and it was the number thirty six. The number thirty six just kind of popped up in my life quite a bit, so I thought that was interesting that he shows that channel. We turned on the TV. We turn on channel thirty six. Robin Williams is on TV in the snow with two kids. We sat there for a minute just kind of watching. I'm like, what's going on? And when I asked that, Robin Williams said, Don Donald Donald, get out of the snow or something along those lines. But he said the name Donald three times, trying to get the kid to get up. Sure that could be coincidence, but the timing is kind of insane. I was living with my parents at the time. I go back to my parents' place after all this happened with Carlene. I told them everything that happened and that we had contacted my dad's dad Don. They were pretty blown away by it, but they didn't necessarily believe me. They needed proof, like I'll have Carlene come over and you guys can ask questions and we'll try to like prove that we're actually talking to my grandfather. The next day, Carlene and I are both sitting on the floor. My parents were like huddled on the couch. Carlene and I put her finger on the planchet, and the first thing I ask is Dawn, are you here? He answered very very quickly, yes. We asked a couple just random questions, and my parents are just talking amongst themselves. Finally they come up with a question that they think is going to be like the deal breaking question. My dad asked, how did you die? My grandfather was a smoker, and I was told that he died from emphysema, so that's how I thought. He passed. The planchet starts responding to my parents' question. It pretty quickly spelled out v E I N a little bit of a pause, and then it spelled out I N another little pause, h EA d vein in the head. I looked at Harlene and I'm like, that's not right, That's not how we died. My parents like, wait, what did he say? And I said it spelled out vein in head. The energy of the room totally shifted. My parents went pale white and flipped out and they're like, holy shit, you don't even know that, Like, how is that possible? And they're like, we believe he had emphysema, but the doctor told him that he had a vein in his head, and if it were to ever rupture, he would pass very peacefully but instantaneously. My dad then told me that when he died, they found him sitting up with a newspaper still in his hand, and it looked very peaceful, so they believe it really was a vein in head. I had never heard that before until this happened, so that was all news to me. About a year or two later, my bands played a show at the House of Blues in Chicago. After the show, we went outside into this patio area and there's a bunch of people crowded around who were like sending autographs and taking pictures and talking to people, And there's this one girl in the very very back and she's just looking at me with like this knowing look on her face. I'd never seen this girl before, just this knowing look, not flirty, nothing like that at all. I couldn't help but like feel her gaze on me the entire time. It kind of scared me. Finally I get to her. Her name is Chavn. She looks at me dead in my eyes and she's like, have you ever used a WIGI word before? What the fuck? What a weird thing to ask. I'm like, yeah, I've used the weedy word before, but I just said that I had some crazy experiences.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 3: I didn't tell her any of the stories. She's like, well, I use all the time. I've had a lot of crazy stories. I would love to get your email, and next time I have a crazy story, I will email it to you. You don't have to even respond, but I just feel like you will appreciate it. And she's like, do you believe in the psychics. I'm like, you know, I'm open to it, but I wouldn't say that I believe in them, but I'm open to you proving yourself. When I got home from tour, I checked my email and there was a message from Chavon and the message mentioned Don. So my first reaction was just like, holy shit, Don. And then she's like, I don't know who this is, but I feel compelled to tell you he contacted me and his message is say hi to the boy, and that was it. Calling me the boy would definitely be something that my grandfather would have said, but that's kind of a long shot. So I'm like, Okay, maybe this isn't connected to me, and I wrote to her and just said that's very interesting. If anything else happens, let me know. The next day, she emailed me again and said, do you have two sisters? Because I contacted Don again and he says, say hi to Stacy and Laurie. I'm like, no, I don't have two sisters. But my sister's name is Stacy. My mom's name is Laurie. So that was interesting, and it's not like this information would have been on a website for you to go and check. The third day in a row, she wrote to me, and this is what really got to me. She said, I have another message for you from Don. Tell Harv I say hello. First of all, my dad's name was Harvey, and my grandfather only ever called him Harve. He never called him Harvey ever. So he said, tell Harve, I say hello. And then I told my parents all that. I'm like, it's happening again, you guys, this is crazy. Finally I responded to her and I'm like, Okay, I've got to tell you, Dawn, I think is my grandfather because everything you've been saying is relating to my grandfather and my family. And I said, I don't know why he would contact you of all people. It's really weird, but I'm enjoying this. Like, if you have any other messages ever, please you know, email me and let me know. And then this all like kind of makes me tear up every time. It's all this but uh, she wrote again. She said, I don't think this has anything to do with you, But does Robin Williams have any significance to you? Shot me up? Then this information was not out there, like zero percent possibility. Probably three weeks or so later, I had a lucid dream where I was at my elementary school, which was like a happy place for me. I loved like hanging with my friends and doing all that. It was just a very happy time. And in my lucid dream, my grandfather was standing by the locker and there was no one else there. It was empty, and I'm like, he's dead. What is going on? And so I just walked up to him and I'm like, Grandpa, aren't you dead. He's like yep. I'm like okay, eh, well what is going on? And he just gave me a big bear hug. He also kissed me on the cheek the way that he used to do it. He would give me a very wet kiss, and he would always smell a cigarettes and I got all of that when he gave me this big hug. And I told that to my parents. They were like, all right, he contacted you. That's it. You've had your chance to kind of say bye to him, and that's it. After that happened. I don't have any whigi board experiences. I don't have dreams about him, but it was one of those things that just resonated with me still to this day.
Speaker 1: All Right, I guess I was wrong, Dylan. It's Derens got the toothpaste back in the tube after all. But this is the exception, not the rule. Most ghosts are like my stepdad Jared, weird vibes and impossible to get rid of, despite two separate pis and a lot of dirty laundry involving a vending machine scheme in New Mexico. Well that's our show. But before we go, Damien's story got me thinking, darn, don't wait for a random clairvoyant groupie to deliver your messages for you. If you have something to say to someone, say it, Len, I know I give you a hard time. And while this nomination feels mostly like a cosmic slight at me. I think you do a really good job. I'm glad you're on the team.
Speaker 2: By there, you're kind of a bitch when Dorry.
Speaker 4: If you have a Haunting story to share, email us at Haunting the Podcast at gmail dot com and if you like what you hear, please like and subscribe. You can also follow us on social media by searching for Glass Podcasts or by visiting glasspodcast dot com. Haunting is a production of Glass Podcast and partnership with Iheartpodcast. Haunting is created and executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning, Ben Fetterman, and Lauren lapkuz And It is hosted by Lauren Lapkez as her character Terreza.
Speaker 3: Producer Lynn Walker is played by Trey Morgan.
Speaker 4: Haunting is written by a Leah Welsh, with additional writing by Nancy Glass, Trey Morgan, and Ben Fetterman. Editing and sound designed by Matt del Vecchio and mixed by Dave Seya. Operations and production support by Kristen Melcurie. Additional production support by Curry Richmond and Todd Gan. Haunting's theme and original compositions were composed by Oliver Bains and Darry macaulay of Neusier Music Library provided by MOB Music Special thanks to Speakeasy Sound Studios in Burbank, California. For more shows from iHeart Podcasts and Glass Podcast, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.