Speaker 1: Hey, it's Brook and Jeffrey and this is the Second Date podcast and today, honestly like it's incredible to be part of anyone's love journey period, right, so they invite us in. But today we've got a guy who has never been on a date before.
Speaker 2: Ever so wholesome.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, he's twenty five years old.
Speaker 2: It's his very first date and he called us for help.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he should have, but we'll be talking him probably the next five years and see how dating goes from Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: So you got you got that brand new episode about to start.
Speaker 1: But first comments, Yeah, pop Tarta too, he said the other day.
Speaker 2: This is one of the best episodes I've heard. I listen to you guys every time I'm driving somewhere, and this had me dying. I genuinely hope you guys never stopped making these.
Speaker 3: I can see myself being seventy and still listening to this podcast.
Speaker 4: I hope.
Speaker 2: It will be one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like so telling me.
Speaker 2: That's not a yeah. Did he holograph into your mind?
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, we got a brand new episode started right now.
Speaker 2: Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: Second date updates.
Speaker 5: You know, personally, I like the second date updates where people haven't really been dating for a while and they need to jump back.
Speaker 6: On the horse.
Speaker 5: Hey, you know, slide back into the hot to no time.
Speaker 6: Whatever the saying is, you.
Speaker 2: Know, your key back in the bowl?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And I'm assuming that's the case for our listener Sam, because he said in his email dating is foreign to him? Does that mean he just likes foreign chicks?
Speaker 2: I don't blame him.
Speaker 6: Hard for me to.
Speaker 5: Read between the lines here, So let's find out Sam. Yeah, guys, I'm talking to Sam. He's in the foreigner Sam. Can't you understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I don't speak that language.
Speaker 2: French people don't speak that language either.
Speaker 6: I see.
Speaker 5: So what do you mean when you say dating is foreign to you? How long has it been since you went on a date?
Speaker 4: Uh? Forever?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Wait, honestly, like, have you ever been on a date? That's not not being sarcastic?
Speaker 4: No, I mean forever. This is the first date I've ever been on.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, you're telling you it's awesome. You're saying you've never been on an actual date with a woman before. In your entire life.
Speaker 4: No, I've always wanted to, but at twenty five I finally got my first taste and then it vanished again.
Speaker 6: So don't no good for you?
Speaker 2: I mean it makes sense like you're twenty five, Like the.
Speaker 1: COVID era like really screwed your guys's social lives up, you know, like postponed everything.
Speaker 5: So here we are, Yeah, so who are we going to be calling here? What's her name?
Speaker 4: Her name is Witty, Witty Witty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay cool.
Speaker 2: How'd you meet her?
Speaker 4: So? I'm a graduate assistant at a chemistry lab for a local university and we had a situation working with this company. They have people come in a few times a week to use their lab facilities, and she's one of those people. So I got to know her a little.
Speaker 5: This way, you're actually you.
Speaker 1: Learning about each other, right, I have to know how long did it take you to work up the nerve to ask her out?
Speaker 4: I couldn't really pick up that she was interested the first few times, you know, and then she hinted at wanting to get together, and then I asked her out.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's good that she kind of stepped up. How did you do it? What was your approach.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just basically I wrote on a piece of lab paper and I wrote, what would you say to a cute guy in a lab coat if you want to take you out to dinner?
Speaker 5: And she said, yes, all right, this is all going off to a good start, especially for your first date.
Speaker 6: So where did you guys go?
Speaker 4: So it was weird because it was actually the same day she was working at the lab, so we kind of clocked out at the same time, and she asked, like, where are you taking me to? And I realized I kind of forgot about that part.
Speaker 6: Oh you didn't think.
Speaker 2: Oh, because it was happening right then.
Speaker 4: In the day. Yeah. So we went to this drink place nearby. They had an outdoor patio, but nobody else was on the patio because it was cold.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you guys sat on the patio and the cold.
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't want to complain, and I asked to serve if the restaurant had some blankets, and yeah, and they did, and I ended up with two big blankets around me while we got to know each other.
Speaker 5: Oh, just just for you were the blankets. You didn't give any blankets to Witty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Usually if they bring out two. It's one for you and one for two for yourself.
Speaker 4: Well, after I had them, I realized, though, I should probably offer her one, and I did, and she said she was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Daud, you're already snuggled up with the I mean, I know it's your first date, but that's like all right.
Speaker 4: At some point I was like, I was just nervous, and I went thinking.
Speaker 5: Straight, that's an interesting look to be outdoors on a patio wearing two blankets on a first date.
Speaker 4: I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think I made it look cool because I had one like a cape.
Speaker 2: Like a superhero Joe.
Speaker 6: Superheroes.
Speaker 2: All right, what did you guys connect about?
Speaker 4: We did like questions like put your stuck on a deserted island and you could only bring three things, what would you bring? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I always hook up right after that question.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know what you say you bring this.
Speaker 6: It depends on me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it really depends on how you answer. What was your answer?
Speaker 4: Well? I told her first toilet paper, because that's a very underrated commodity.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's true. Okay.
Speaker 4: She was like, well, what about food? And I was like, well, sure, you couldn't eat anything, but what are you gonna wipe with?
Speaker 6: So you really stuck on that toilet paper answer?
Speaker 1: Okay, were you guys laughing about it or did it feel like it kind of evolved into bathroom talk?
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't the whole conversation. It was just she kind of was giving me a hard time about it, like cracking jokes. So it was fine. But the day only lasted an hour, and I mean, it's my first date ever, so I don't know if that's normal.
Speaker 1: Or not sitting outside in the cold for an hour means she liked you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially doesn't this after work too? Yes, that's a.
Speaker 5: Long day after the drinks were all done.
Speaker 6: How did it end?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know when you're supposed to kiss, so I just kind of sat in my car and waited for her to make a move, but she didn't. You Well, one of my friends he said that he did that and he got flapped in the face. So I didn't want to offend her.
Speaker 5: You're being extra cautious. Okay, So what's happened since then?
Speaker 4: I saw her in the lab last week, but she didn't talk to me, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you know, is she very experienced with dating because maybe she didn't talk to you because she was nervous.
Speaker 4: She said she had a couple of boyfriends before.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's helpful for you.
Speaker 5: Wait, did she know that it was your first date?
Speaker 6: Did that come up?
Speaker 4: I did not slat out say it was my first date, but I alluded to the fact that I don't date often.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, by often you mean forever. And I appreciate what she did there.
Speaker 5: So so you and I both know that, Yes, we know because we speak French together.
Speaker 2: The language of love.
Speaker 5: Yes, and we're going to get her to hop on board the love train. Jeff we'll say it and get you another date with your second date update.
Speaker 6: Right after this, hold on.
Speaker 3: Man Brook and Jeffrey in the morning Second date update.
Speaker 5: Two chemistry students walk into a lab. One says, hey, you want to go on a date. The other says, only if it's a stable relationship hip because elements are aren't stable and some are electron ratios.
Speaker 2: Aren't laughing, not because they don't get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh man, the ap M students at Sam's College would be going crazy.
Speaker 6: For that joke.
Speaker 2: They would write a way better joke than that.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you. Sam's been going crazy over a woman named Witty who works part time at his lab after he took her out on his very first date ever.
Speaker 1: I bet he's not going to be able to talk to us because he heard your joke and he can't stop laughing.
Speaker 6: He's still laughing.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: Here's given more time to recover.
Speaker 5: But if you missed it, there were drinks, there were blankets involved, but there only on Sam. But there has been a total lack of communication since then, so he needs our help.
Speaker 6: Sam.
Speaker 5: Have you recovered laughing from my joke yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 6: Get one in.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that pretty laugh. Hey, this is your very first date, so I don't think that you. I don't know. I'm just worried that we're gonna get her on the phone and she's gonna say something hurtful.
Speaker 6: Ouch, why would she?
Speaker 5: Why would you jump immediately to she's definitely gonna say something that's gonna hurt Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean dating can be hard, and don't take that personally like, just because you're not a good match with this person doesn't mean you won't be with the next.
Speaker 5: Brook has given up on this before we started, Sam, So she's saying, get ready for a consolation. Anyone's first time for anything. It only goes up from there.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jose, Jose gets me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get you. Sam, Do you get it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've prepared myself.
Speaker 5: And also on the other side, don't be too excited if she says it's the best date that she's ever been on.
Speaker 2: You give me excited. Oh sure, take your wins. Take your wins.
Speaker 4: Okay, So are we gonna call her, just talk about it.
Speaker 5: We're just gonna think of more scenarios of telling you how you should feel when you hear other things.
Speaker 6: We're just gonna go over what if a bunch.
Speaker 2: Jeff I was just trying to be kind, ok.
Speaker 5: Guy, All right, let's be kind to a listeners and dial her number and see if she picks up. Here we go, Hello, Hey, is this Witty?
Speaker 3: Yes, it is hey Witty.
Speaker 5: This is a radio show. We're called Brooke and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show, Witty, Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 3: What's this? Why are you calling me?
Speaker 6: Well, we're doing something on our show.
Speaker 5: We call it the second Date Update where we try to help out listeners who've gone out with someone recently and they're not getting a call back for another date. We try to reach out and figure out if there's a reason why.
Speaker 3: Oh this seems weird.
Speaker 2: It is a little weird. I think it'd be weird to get a phone call like this. That's understandable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's It's supposed to be like a really fun segment because we're trying to help educate people, specially our listeners, if they did something wrong. So you went out with a guy named Sam, Yes, I did.
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 2: And say I met at the lab that he works at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did go on a date. Okay, and I think that's it. That's the end of.
Speaker 5: The end, all right, Well, is there a reason that you haven't been talking to Sam a lot since the date happened? Because he said, you've run by each other in the lab, but you aren't really speaking to one another.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was just like a kind of a weird date.
Speaker 3: It was just a little strange.
Speaker 7: She seemed really nervous.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, okay, what part was.
Speaker 5: Because you're a great gal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a beautiful woman who wouldn't be nervous to go out.
Speaker 5: Sure, what part was strange to you?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean their conversation was fine, he asked me, no, had I been in a relationship and I was like, yeah, We've been in two long term ones in the last five years, okay, and I just got out.
Speaker 3: Of one like six months ago. And then he was like, well, I went to Amsterdam last year by myself.
Speaker 7: And I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 6: Cool, traveling the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, just trying to share stuff about himself, right sure.
Speaker 3: And then he was like, I've been to a lot of places like that, like I have experience. Like he kind of like leaned in and was like, I have.
Speaker 2: Experience experience what experience traveling?
Speaker 7: I don't know, like in like these places. I was like, are you like some pervert that just goes.
Speaker 3: To like different red light districts and am you know, wait.
Speaker 5: Did he bring up red light districts to you or are you just assuming that he.
Speaker 7: Didn't mention red light districts. But this is like right.
Speaker 3: After I mentioned I had two boyfriends, so we were talking about relationships, we weren't talking about travel.
Speaker 5: So you read that as Sam is bragging about traveling all over the world, going to different red light districts and has tons of experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's how you read it.
Speaker 5: But let's find out if that's really true.
Speaker 2: Is that a question I'm going to ask you.
Speaker 5: Well, Witty deserves to know the answer, because that's exactly what's holding her back from talking to again. And I need to tell you. Sam's on the other line of this phone call listening right now.
Speaker 4: Oh no, yeah.
Speaker 2: He did not pay for this call, just so you know, it was free.
Speaker 6: Sam.
Speaker 4: Hey, how is it going?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, I said, I had then to answer, and yeah, I told you that way. That was between you and I.
Speaker 5: Are you confirming or denying the red light district thing?
Speaker 4: Oh? I went through? Yeah, I went. I went to those places. I was there. That's like part of the experience.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 6: Did you partake in it as a different story?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 1: No, did you use that as your experience of relationships as well?
Speaker 2: On the first date?
Speaker 4: Well, I said that because you said you had so many boyfriends, and I wanted to say something to show that I have experienced as well.
Speaker 5: Oh why, I don't know if we need the details.
Speaker 4: No, yike, I just.
Speaker 3: I'm totally weirded out by you comparing like relationships with meeting up with sex workers.
Speaker 7: Like it's just very odd.
Speaker 3: I'm weirded out by you, to be honest, trying to figure out why.
Speaker 4: But maybe Okay, I mean I have to confess you're my first day ever.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is that?
Speaker 6: Wasn't your emergency safeguard?
Speaker 5: That's the one thing that you probably didn't know.
Speaker 3: Witty, What do you mean? How is that possible? How old are you?
Speaker 4: I've never been on a date before?
Speaker 3: Why not a date?
Speaker 4: I didn't want distractions for a long time of my studies, and then now that I'm older, I feel more inclined to do that.
Speaker 3: I just can't believe that you've gone this far without ever going on a single dated.
Speaker 2: That's another red flag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just it's red lights and red flags.
Speaker 4: But I meant to Amsterdam before, like I said, so I do have experience.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, don't go down.
Speaker 5: I know you haven't been on like any actual dates before, but a lot of the times people don't want to discuss their experience until, like at least date number two.
Speaker 2: It's not something to talk about, it something to show later. Let the work.
Speaker 4: Yes, I can totally do that.
Speaker 5: I don't know if the opportunity is still going to be there after that conversation. He has experienced.
Speaker 6: He can totally do that. I like the confidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it would be better if you were just honest with people and said, hey, this is my first date.
Speaker 1: I'm really nervous.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but do not talk about your experience, like yeah.
Speaker 4: God, American women are just so tight.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: That's more of a cut and dry transaction. But you know, this is the part of the call Witty where we would normally ask to send you out on another date with Sam and we would pay for it.
Speaker 6: But after all the talk about.
Speaker 5: The red light district stuff, I feel like that.
Speaker 6: Even that is going too far.
Speaker 5: Now you're not obligated to do anything.
Speaker 1: No, true, it doesn't doesn't feel right.
Speaker 5: Do you do you have any interest in seeing Sam again outside of the lab?
Speaker 3: No? Absolutely not. In fact, like you shouldn't ask out any one in the lab.
Speaker 2: Oh wait wait wait have you told people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm well now I am.
Speaker 4: Now that's fine with me. I'm you know, I'm actually kind of proud of it.
Speaker 5: I have been like, yeah, I can't dot any more people at work anymore.
Speaker 6: Ran out of people.
Speaker 5: Okay, answer, that's a good.
Speaker 6: Oh wait, do we want to know?
Speaker 4: I kind of think you're crossing the line by asking me my sexual history.
Speaker 5: Yeah, have you been too not inappropriate?
Speaker 3: Inappropriate brooking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 5: You know, maybe Sam wasn't quite ready for his first date, but he was definitely.
Speaker 6: Ready for his second, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: He doesn't know how to kiss, can't pick a restaurant, but boy, can he navigate the streets of that red light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're a second date type of guy.
Speaker 5: I bet he could lead a guided tour for the English speakers in Amsterdam.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean that he's gonna okay, I won't get into it, but.
Speaker 5: This one and that one doesn't special.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he knows all the deals. But listen. Definitely not defending what he said.
Speaker 5: Is just when you've never been on a date ever before in your life and you're trying to figure out how it works, you have to learn really quick what's good to talk about and what is definitely not good to talk about.
Speaker 2: Is that something you have to learn. Isn't this common sense? I don't know. It just feels like.
Speaker 5: Buddy, Yeah, I mean you would think.
Speaker 1: But no, okay, now, the whole labs, yeah, you know, they learned know just how experienced.
Speaker 5: He really is, so if they have any questions.
Speaker 2: Nothing like a bunch of scientists making fun of you.
Speaker 6: It's much better to have radio hosts do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you can always email our show and we'll call that person who's not calling you back, hopefully help you out with your dating. Go find out all of our Second Day podcasts. They're up online wherever you get yours at Brook and Jeffrey