Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Dutton, Sarah Burnette.
Speaker 3: What are you doing girl?
Speaker 2: Just sitting here waiting for me, sitting in my own filth?
Speaker 3: Nice? Do you like my filth?
Speaker 2: I love your filth?
Speaker 3: Heay, right back at you, girl, Thank you. I got a question, not about your filth. The question is simple, straightforward, right to the point. Do you know it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I do know it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Is it about your filth?
Speaker 4: It is about my filth. It's about the filth that I spread in the world. Oh, so, mashup's ridiculous. It's ridiculous when rude dudes dip into the mashup pool, not in suggestions, but in participation. We got an email from rude dude Tom and it reads Terry ps. As an aside, Terry the assistant actually forwarding emails around.
Speaker 3: They're good.
Speaker 2: Not to tell you, Terry. Oh ya, anyways, let me read it.
Speaker 4: Hi, Guys love the show. It's always entertaining. I'm a native wiscons tonight and a lifelong PBR drinker.
Speaker 2: Do with that what you will. Thanks to you.
Speaker 4: I heard about the Grillos PBR and found some at my local quick trip. What I have to say, it's actually pretty good. I attached a picture of a nearly finished can feel free to use this if you'd like. Thanks for the mashup. And there's a picture of a nearly finished can Wow.
Speaker 3: Look at that. Tom a mash up team. And I didn't even grimace once you took one for this because you took one for the team.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think it's interesting. He's like, he says, it's actually pretty good.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I trust him for Tom. Yeah, I was like that, that sounds good for Tom.
Speaker 2: I think that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Tom, honestly, thank you. That is good.
Speaker 2: It's not only awesome, but you know what else it is? What ridiculous? Oh yeah, there it is over to you, Zarin.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, Elizabeth, I want to talk to you about something that near and dear to my heart. Marlon Brando got an Oscar statuette for the Best Actor for his starring roleing on the Waterfront, right okay and leaving the whole like you know, Elia Cason, non American activities out of it. I still love that movie, right, great film. Leonardo DiCaprio used to own that Oscar really before he had an oscar of his own before he won I think for The Revenant or whatever. He had that oscar, but sadly he no longer owns it.
Speaker 2: Did he get it a yard sale?
Speaker 3: No, and he didn't resell it. Instead, he was seized by the Department of Justice, which means the US government now owns Brando's oscar for on the waterfront.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 3: Yes, Elizabeth, this is all part of the story I want to tell you today, the behind the scenes, real life story, crime story no less of the Wolf of Wall Street the movie. Oh there's a whole crime story bigger than that one behind that movie, and it features a man named Jolo Jolo. Yes, this is Ridiculous Crime, a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous. Elizabeth. Yes, Now, I've flirted be telling you this one for a long time, you know, and well today is finally that day we get into the rampant international embezzling scheme that financed the Wolf of Wall Street.
Speaker 4: Oh so you're not going to tell the story of the dude who was Wolf of Jordan Belford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he shows up in this story. So he is in this story.
Speaker 2: He is not the focus, not at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talk about irony. Right, you can make a movie about financial crimes by paying for it with wait for it, financial crimes. No, no, quick question. Have you seen The Wolf of Wall Street? Yes, okay, you know. It's about a real life crimer named Jordan Belford and he is the wolf of the Wolf of All Street. The movie basically covers his rise and fall and him being a financial crimes mastermind. Right, and he wrote a memoir and then Marty Scorsese he turned it into a story that became an OSCAR nominated film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marty, Marty your friend on that kind of basis.
Speaker 3: We're in a film watching group, Elizabeth and a kickball group. Marty's really good in senders. Yeah. So this whole you know, Wolf of Wall Street is intended to be a cautionary tale about greed another irony. Now, the film has one of my favorite Matthew McConaughey scenes where he and Leonardo DiCaprio is sitting there there in some skyscraper having like a business launch. In Matthew McConaughey, he's doing blow at the table and then he makes Leo do that tribal beat on his chest. I love that scene. That seems not in the script. By the way, Leonardo DiCaprio saw Matthew McConaughey doing that for his warm up exercises, and he's like, put to put that on camera.
Speaker 2: Warm up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Leo, say, was a producer for the film, so he could make those kind of calls. Sure, yeah, that's his warm up. A lot of people like the Denzel talks about that beating on his body a little bit to get loose, you know, like, yeah, you really want to be in your body as an actor.
Speaker 2: Did he also hunt? Doesn't he hunt?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's hitting his chest and humming.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Anyway, I was like embarrassed for him in that.
Speaker 3: I vote him and everything he does. So anyway, the summer of twenty thirteen, Leonardo DiCaprio had just finished shooting The Wolf of Wall Street. Right early talk was this film's a lot for the Oscars. They've done it again, better than the aviator. Blah blah blah. Now that's this helps explain Leo's excitement and his like, you know, self serious tone and his confidence when he spoke with Deadline later on that same year, in December twenty thirteen, right Leo was telling Deadline about his latest film, a dream project that he'd been trying to make for a while, and he's both the star and the producer, and he tells Deadline and I quote everything Jordan and this book was so raw. The crash of two thousand and eight was a huge motivator for me as well, to want to really see what's going on in our culture that creates people like this. Greed is a timeless virtue. I've been talking about greed a lot in interviews, and you can't pinpoint it to any specific time period, or any civilization, or even just human beings. It's a fundamental characteristic of survival. As we are progressing into the future, things are moving faster and we are way more destructive than we've ever been. We have not evolved at all, Well, said Leo. Well said an, So greed is bad. We're still subject to its seductive siren call. Gotcha.
Speaker 2: Because he lives a monastic lifestyle.
Speaker 3: He's an environmentalist, wall he cares about things bigger than him.
Speaker 2: Just not paid for any So, Elizabeth, there's.
Speaker 3: A great cosmic irony that Leo partners in this film were the masterminds of international fraud, of palooza and an orgy of embezzlement and other financial crimes. And as they said, far far bigger than what Jordan Belford had ever done. Really, Yes, and when he gave that interview, Leo was knee deep in the greed, like just surrounded by it, sinking deeper and deeper into it. It was all around him, but somehow he missed it, just didn't see it. Wow, somehow this highly intelligent, very sensitive actor never recognized the look of real life greed when it was the one buying him champagne at a casino.
Speaker 2: But zaren he was talking about it a lot in the interviews.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, also, as he pointed out, totally.
Speaker 3: He wanted you know, he's thinking about greed. But he still missed it when that same greed gave him a Jean Michel basciat painting worth nine point two million dollars. Yes, it's just as a gift. He missed it when it bought him Marlon Brando's oscar. Right, but we're getting ahead of ourselves. It's time to meet our man of the hour.
Speaker 2: Jolo Jolo like Jello, but Jolo.
Speaker 3: Jolo j h o Oh Joe l Ow jo Lo Oh.
Speaker 4: So two words, two words yes, mister Low Yes now Low Comma Joe h Ok. I'm doing the math yes in my face.
Speaker 3: To give you a sense of his character. Back in April of twenty thirteen, just after The Wolf of Wall Street was filming done filming, it had wrapped, Jo Loo was partying in New York and he nearly lost his life to buster rhymes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean who among the By.
Speaker 3: The way, this story is going to keep doing that where I'm going to say something and all of a sudden a celebrity pops up. You do not expect I like that. So the story goes this socially awkward thirty year old financier Low Tayke Joe aka Jo Lo because he's Malaysian of Chinese ethnicity reverse exactly. So. He was at Jungle City Studios in the Chelsea neighborhood in Manhattan. He was there in the studio. He was there to record a vanity track called Void of a Legend. To do with that what you.
Speaker 4: Will, He's in the recording studio.
Speaker 2: What's the genre rap?
Speaker 3: Of course, Elizabeth Yes, financial guys love rap. It's all about the Benjamins. That's as far as they're concerned. So Jo Lo had paid the rapper and producer Swizz Beats to help him record his Vanity project or mister Yes himself. And also there that night was Pharrell Williams and Buster.
Speaker 2: Rhymes No Yes, So this is horrible.
Speaker 3: So they're all together in this studio in Chelsea in Manhattan, twenty thirteen, indulging Jolo, indulging Iman. At one point, quite visibly drunk, Jolo looks at Buster Rhymes across the studio and he yells out at him, yo, I own you. You're my bitch? WHOA yes. Well, by the way, it's never good to tell black man in America that you own him. I don't think I need to explain.
Speaker 2: That anything further. I don't want yes.
Speaker 3: But then, but also because I don't know if you you don't play fantasy sports, but I see this often in fantasy sports, because people will talk about how they own a player, and then they forget how they talk about that amongst their friends, and then there they're at a game or some social function and they see a player that they have on their fantasy team and they yell at this real life person, I own you man, I need more points this weekend. Once again, do not yell at a black man that you own him. I'm just saying it's never going to be a good one.
Speaker 4: Let's just avoid that completely, right, So, or just avoid fantasy sports. Okay, Well that's my thing about That's my complaint about football is the plantation mentality.
Speaker 2: There is that, yes, anyway, so off of that.
Speaker 3: In this case, Joe Lo, as I said, was drunk and he was all hyped up on the fact that he had just purchased Emi Music Publishing. Wait what yes, he bought it for one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: How does this guy?
Speaker 3: And he wanted Buster Rhymes to know he owned his publishing and thus in his mind he owned Buster Rhymes.
Speaker 2: Right, But then also you're my bitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was drunk and he was like a financi bro. So he's like, let me put you in your place. I own you, right, So Jolo's uh, we'll call it joke. Taunt did not land. He was about to result in an epic beatdown when Pharrell Williams had to like step in. He had to calm down Buster Rhymes and tell him like being.
Speaker 2: Happy, he gotta be happy, and then they punched him.
Speaker 3: They So there you go a glimpse at the character of Jolo.
Speaker 2: Right, that is incredible.
Speaker 3: But I've got more for you because I also have an eyewitness account, not from the gossip press or from like, you know, some hip hop outlet. It's like, oh, we got the latest news that nobody will tell you, right right, This friend of mine, he works as a DJ. He did work as a DJ in Las Vegas, right, and he was working there back when Joel was a regular at the daytime rooftop pool parties that they have at the casino.
Speaker 5: Dear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so back then.
Speaker 3: He was called a super vip. Jolo not my friend, my friend Jeff, he was a DJs. I said, So, he tells me the story about working a private party for this super vip.
Speaker 2: So he did, he go and he gambled along. He was a whale.
Speaker 3: There's a whal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So according to my friend Jeff, and I quote, I see this very heavy set Asian guy wearing one of those a whole yacht caps and he's sitting in this cabana. They had bottles and all the bottle service girls were huddled around this area to party. There was a special DJ that had come in, so I continue to do my job. At one point, Joe Lo grabbed a microphone. There was like a wireless handheld that was sent to his cabana for him to say what he wanted or whatever. He says. Everybody in the pool. Everybody, I mean everybody in the pool, and I thought, I'm not getting in the pool, but I'll film this. So I grabbed my cell phone. I started filming everybody doing what this VIP wanted. And I mean eighty percent of the people in the pool were staff. Everybody did what this guy told him to do, and they all got in the pool fully dressed, and I'm filming it. So what did he catch on camera? Great question, Elizabeth, We may never know. Well again, according to my friend Jeff and I quote, this Asian guy came up to me and said, the you doing. I stared at him blankly. I didn't know what the problem was. People had cell phones out filming stuff at the club all the time and no one ever had an issue with it. But this was like a major deal. I started getting emails on my phone immediately from different management people in the casino and the club. The Asian dude got really abraced with me, so I apologized and he made me erase the phone. I learned later that it was what's called a blackout event. That's when there's a high security and no one's allowed to film or photograph or record anything. This guy low was throwing away so much money that he was just hemorrhaging money. It was beyond trying to burn money. Brewsters millions is the only thing that comes to mind. Why would one literally burn piles of money for what reason? If you had that much, you just wanted to get rid of it as much as you can before you die. That's one thing that was not this. This story is another thing, Elizabeth. Yes, so that's an eyewitness account.
Speaker 2: Was just the money to say this is a blackout event? Did he did? He rent the hole basically.
Speaker 3: The club yea yeah, and the rooftop pool club, I mean, and then he had the staff, didn't have people had the staff getting the pool like pretend to be having fun.
Speaker 4: That sounds like hell on for I would just start throwing people off the roof. If I could throw myself.
Speaker 2: I throw everybody.
Speaker 3: Someone's coming off that roof.
Speaker 2: Someone's out of here.
Speaker 3: So now we're back to the essential question, Who the hell is jo Lo? I'm happy to tell you I have answers, lots of answers. So low Taik Joe was born in Malaysia in nineteen eighty one. He was born a son of privilege. He's gobad numbers, sharp minded, you know. So his family sent him to Harrow. It's a private school in London, so old that it was founded by a charter from Queen Elizabeth the first way back in fifteen seventy two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So his classmates were the sons of kings and the nephews of prime ministers from around the world. Right, It's where everybody sends their you know, special boys. Elizabeth. You might say that the British private schools are a lot like prison. Yeah, They're a great place to learn to be a better criminal.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: I mean I wouldn't say that, but you might.
Speaker 2: Say I'll say anything there.
Speaker 3: So anyway, jo Lo, he said of his private school days, they absolutely shaped his future. In an interview with The Toronto Star, he said, and I quote, there were a few key relationships which I started to develop there. Harrow had lots of children of prominent European, Asian and Middle Eastern families. That's when I met the former King of Jordan's son, among others.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, So those.
Speaker 3: Early heady days at Harrow, they were the key that unlocked the man and criminal he would become. Or, as Joel put it in his interview with The Toronto Star, that's when I felt that I built the core foundation of contacts for the future. That's quite important because that's when you know them as friends and you build the trust level for the future, as opposed to meeting someone during the course of your business life. He's like, get them WHI they're susceptive.
Speaker 2: You see some of the terrible things they do as youth. Yeah, right, and hold it over.
Speaker 3: This is really why you want your kids to go to an elite school. Not the education, it's for the connections. Comply. So Adri attends Harrow. Joel transfers to Wharton School of Business here in the US, which coincidentally is also the president's alma motern Apropos of Nothing but Cress. At Wharton, Jolo made a name for himself on campus. His nickname was the a Great Gatsby.
Speaker 2: He made his own nickname, did he did he.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, but she'd give you some idea of how he was perceived by.
Speaker 2: A question that's not a nickname.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: In short, it was known that, just like Jay Gatsby, jo Loo was a schemer, a striver, an operator, and a social.
Speaker 2: Media like the lamest nickname everyone.
Speaker 3: No now Jolo for instance, to give you an example of his Jay gatsbying around, he once invited his Wharton classmate Avanka Trump to go on a gambling trip with him and some of his friends too where Atlantic City.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: You see, Jolo had a big time crush on Avanka, and he thought she might go for a guy like him.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm having like a sliding doors moment of like an alternative reality.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Evanka politely declined the invite, but the way Jolo later told the story, he explained her rejection was far less about him and more about her father. You see, Jolo told his friends that Ivanka said quote she'd never set foot in one of her father's skeevy casinos. So that's from Jolo. I didn't say that. So at this point in his story, Joo moves on to his next crush, someone who was also a rich, mildly attractive blonde daughter of a famous American family. He started angling for Paris Hilton.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, clearly the.
Speaker 3: Man had a type. Now. Yeah, his roommates at Wharton later recalled that Jolo loved to watch House of Wax. Now if that name doesn't sound familiar, it was Paris Hilton's debut movie. Yeah, now, he watched it over and over again, apparently just all the time. So now, Joo didn't know it back then, but one day, a drunken Paris Hilton would be photographed at a casino with his sweaty, alcohol flushed face pressed against her shoulder. That was all become Elizabeth. That's the future we have to look forward to. So back to his college days. After Wharton, Lowe returned to Malaysia. There he tried his hand in a few businesses. None of them were successful, but he did orchestrate the sale of a skyscraper, so that had to make his parents proud, right, I mean, oh, you.
Speaker 4: Sold that long, daddy.
Speaker 3: So after that, he then partnered with a man named Reza Aziz. He was a friend of his he had met back when they're both attending private school in London. So we're now working together in Malaysia, jo Loo and Aziz won the backing of Aziza's stepfather, this man named Najib Razak. Now you see, at the time he was the Defense Minister of Malaysia, and then in a very short time he was elected Prime Minister of Malaysia.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yes. And then working together, the three men conspired to create a Sovereign Wealth Fund for Malaysia. It's basically a state owned development investment program, right, and this was just after the financial meltdown of two thousand.
Speaker 2: And eight, perfect timing.
Speaker 3: But these men, they saw opportunity Elizabeth where the rest of us saw ruined. They saw the saints for the future. So they used, you know what, there's big deals to be made, there's steals to be lifted, fraud to be purchased.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So in two thousand and nine, Jol returns to America with the backing of the Malaysian Sovereign Wealth Fund, and he's over there looking to make big deals. Doesn't take long for the New York gossip pages to find him, so, like page six of the New York Post, they spot Jolo out making an ass of himself all across the Manhattan nightclub scene. This is like in November of two thousand and nine. In his very first news story, Jolo is pictured sweaty faced, champagne.
Speaker 2: Drunks, sweaty all the time. He's often I can get pretty spitzy, but like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just kind of his like MESHI, It's like, look I'm dancing, I'm having fun. It's hot in here. So he was basically the New York Post covers him, he's just like this another finance bro in Manhattan, right.
Speaker 2: Just a dewey man.
Speaker 3: You look at the photo of him, you'd never imagine this guy would become the mastermind of an international money laundering scheme to steal billions of dollars. Right in the very second sentence in the very first story I ever written about, Jolo reads like the opening line of a fairy tale about a money launderer. As the Post reported, quote, a Jolo comes around once in a lifetime, marveled one into veteran. Oh no, yes, To be clear, the industry wasn't an investment banking or finance. It was nightclubs. You don't get like him coming out exactly so, this Malaysian international man of mystery had become modestly famous for downing champagne and chasing long legged models. Yea, As the Post noted, and I quote, Lowe just celebrated his twenty eighth birthday in Las Vegas, a four day affair that started out last Wednesday at Caesar's Palace, where sources said the swimming pool was stocked with bikini clad party girls and surrounded by caged lions and tigers.
Speaker 2: Ew Right.
Speaker 3: So, after that pool party, to start the debauchery, his birthday entourage hit up a nightclub in the casino, where Paris Hilton and Usher danced the night away with Jolo and drank with him and his friends. Hell Also, Jamie Fox reportedly gave Jolo a sports car for his twenty eighth birthday.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, where did that come from?
Speaker 3: Don't I'm talking to me. You're just going to keep popping up on a swivel.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: At the end of that New York Post article, a friend of Low's tried to dispel any mystery about Jolo, but instead only enlarged it because the friend said, and I quote, he's not an arms dealer and he doesn't want all this publicity. It's always fun when you have your friends trying to clarify that your perpetually drunk friend is not an arms dealer.
Speaker 4: I've never had anyone say, you know, the thing about Elizabeth, that she's not an arms dealer.
Speaker 3: One thing you can say about Elizabeth not an arms dealer. Now they do. Now that we've met our crimer of the day, let's take a little break, and that's the messages. We will get high and low with Jolo and we're back Elizabeth. Hello, you ready for more Jolo?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: More twenty ten celebs in young Hollywood.
Speaker 2: This is so great. Who else is gonna pop up? It's like whack a mole?
Speaker 3: Oh wait for the rest of these moms. Oh no, okay, so where were we? All Right, it's two thousand and nine and the gossip rags have just learned the name Jolo right well after the New York Post spots him. Next came Gawker's coverage.
Speaker 2: Right, rip Gocker, What I miss Gaker? We could use Gaker right about.
Speaker 3: Desperately need a Gaker right now. So Gawker publishes their first story on him six hours after the New York Post story drops.
Speaker 2: Nice, They're like.
Speaker 3: We're on it too, So they had more details from that epic Las Vegas Casino birthday party. The one yeah, well was Gawker reported and I quote Meghan Fox was flown out to Vegas to hang out with the birthday boy, who routinely surrounds himself with models.
Speaker 2: So did he like hire Meghan Fox.
Speaker 3: He's hiring everybody, and he's paying everyone.
Speaker 4: The thing about these celebrities that you know they did, I mean you have. It used to be that celebrities didn't want to do commercials, huh, and so.
Speaker 2: They did them in the foreign countries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and now they don't care, they'll plug anything.
Speaker 2: They just get paid.
Speaker 4: But they also do all these weird appearances, in these personal appearances, pay to have them go wherever.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It used to be like, oh, like you know, so and so went over and and went to Oman for this, but like you know, Leader's sons birthday party and then performed. And it's not even like j Lo is in Qatar anymore. Now it's like you can get them to come down for like your furniture stores opening, if you're willing to pay them one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: You got enough money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so okay. So as also, Goker had another great quote about Joe Lo. They I think, provide some interesting color about how Jolo quote rents several apartments in the Park Imperial on West fifty seventh Street in Midtown that housed him and his staff, including several bodyguards. Famous neighbors include Daniel Craig and Sean Combs. Oh yeah, birds. It's key to remember that this was again two thousand and nine, just one year earlier. The entire world's economy had melted down, so not many people were in the mood to throw money around.
Speaker 2: When he has multiple apartments. Yes, yes, that's obscene.
Speaker 3: No one knows where the money's coming from. People are wondering, is he an arms dealer? What's his story?
Speaker 2: They don't even they don't care, He don't care.
Speaker 4: They liked it was he an arms dealer, because that's a fun, exciting little bit of gossipy, don't They don't give a toss when no where it comes from.
Speaker 3: Also, but the people were talking about like, okay, this is when Las Vegas began to seriously court international gamblers, as you well know, because they needed to stay in business. And so what was true for like Vegas casino general managers was also true for Manhattan nightclub owners. Naturally, they were both more than happy to protect a man's privacy or a person's privacy, you know, the Jolo's privacy in particular, because he was saving their asses as far as they were concerned, Like we need a guy like.
Speaker 2: Him at bottle service markup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. So you know, like nobody, as they said, nobody was throwing money around like Jolo. So people were ready to protect him, possibly from himself, but at least like the wrong people seeing him. Yeah, So back to Jolo. The year is twenty ten now, so Jolo grows even more flagrant. Now remember his crush on Paris Hilton, who's now party?
Speaker 2: I remember that?
Speaker 3: Well. In twenty ten there were now rumors in print that Jolo was paying Paris Hilton a million dollars to hang out with him and to party in places like Sant Trepez. And he apparently rented a yacht from the billionaire Paul Allen. Oh wow, he's like mega yacht. Tattoose is what it called three hundred three foot yacht. It's the kind of boath that has a movie theater and a parking spot for your helicopter. Right, that kind of boat and so then the rumors hit the press that Paris Siltan was dating him or you know, at least spending time with him, and so she denies them, right, she has her reptil the New York Post.
Speaker 2: They are friends, they're not canonling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just he pays her for her time.
Speaker 4: If someone like, let's think of it like a if some guy, some some random eccentric guy said I'll pay you a million dollars or no, let's like, let's say some bodacious babe or not so bodacious babe. I guess if we're going to do equivalents said I'll give you a million dollars Aaron to come party with me on the Mediterranean, and would you do it?
Speaker 2: Would you go?
Speaker 3: I would need to know more information, like you know, what, what is this party? Why do you want me? When do I get the money?
Speaker 4: You see?
Speaker 2: The hangout?
Speaker 3: Like I'm not signing NDA's you know, there's a lot of stuff that I do.
Speaker 2: I bet you ye, Betty Adam.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, totally. It's a whole lifestyle. So like I'm not it's not the money part there, Like I don't mind being like, oh, a paid person, but it would be the fact that, like I have, I have morality about that, Like I'm not you can't pay me to do something I don't want to do, right, But if you want to just pay me to like party on a yacht, if I was into partying on yachts, I'd be like sure. And obviously Paris Hilton is in Joy's party. You're not asking her to do anything she doesn't like doing. So if I was something equivalent, like he's Aaron you want to come to my fantacy football draft, I'd be like sure, for a million.
Speaker 2: Dollars, come ride mountain bikes with me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, right, So that makes it a little easier, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So at this point, now the New York Post they find some of Paris Hilton's friends who claimed Jolo is actually only paying her one hundred thousand dollars each time they hang out. Oh yeah, that's why. Yeah I came up with that number. So believe whatever and whoever you want. But the point is jo Loo was using Paris Hilton and paying her so he could get famous and also gain access to real stars in big, big money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, according there's a whole book about him called Billion Dollar Whale. And according to Billion Dollar Whale, which was written, by the way, by a pair of Wall Street Journal reporters, great a good book, jo Lo was with Paris Hilton when she celebrated her twenty ninth birthday. Their entourage partied in Vegas at the Palazzo, and Jolo gave his longtime crush a Cartier watch. And then, as the book reports, Low quote handed her two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in gambling chips and asked her to join him at the baccarat table.
Speaker 2: And her birthday party. Yes, I mean this sounds sir.
Speaker 3: Million dollars join me at the baker rote.
Speaker 2: Too, and she just accepts it, of course.
Speaker 3: And that's not all because, back to the book Billion Dollar Whale, Quote, between October two thousand and nine and June twenty ten, a period of only eight months, low and his entourage spent eighty five million dollars on alcohol, gambling in Vegas, jets, renting super yachts, and to pay playmates and Hollywood celebrities to hang out with them. Eighty five five million million dollars in eight months. That's more than ten million dollars a month.
Speaker 2: I just Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Need to ask you another question, Elizabeth. Sure, if you stole a billion dollars from the people of Malaysia, what would you do with it?
Speaker 2: A billion dollars from the people of Malaysia.
Speaker 3: You asked me a question, that's my question for you.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess I got to figure out how to make sure they don't come at me.
Speaker 3: What does this assume they can't?
Speaker 4: So they can't because I'll say, like half of it is my is to pay for my standing army, oh and then smart and the rest, you know, just chilling. Well, I'm reading people to burritos, like I just pay a burrito, like.
Speaker 3: Picking up like people's vet bills, oh yeah, yeah yeah, going down to a vet hospble and hanging out.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, and just be like how much how much do people owe you this month?
Speaker 3: Put the card down there?
Speaker 2: It is there, it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They do stuff like that, you know, school field.
Speaker 3: Trips, well, lunches, I know you are, Okay. I got a more specific second question. How much of that same billion dollars would you use to bankroll the sequel Dumb and Dumberer two.
Speaker 2: I'd say probably around zero dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, it turns out that movie was bankrolled by Jolo.
Speaker 2: That was also the Malaysian Wealth Fund.
Speaker 3: Really the first time people began to take notice of Jolo's Hollywood aspirations also was the first time people began to make concrete legal claims against him.
Speaker 4: You know, just think about like the person who reeled him in and like when he said yes, I'll do it and starts transferring money, and like all the people that that that, like the guy who secured the funding is telling, oh, yeah, how excited, Like You're never going to believe how much money I got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just how he keeps spiraling. So in this why it's the summer of twenty thirteen, right just after Leonardo DiCaprio finished filming The Wolf of Wall Street in the like autumn of twenty.
Speaker 2: Twelve, and that long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So at this point, Joe Lo gets sued by the producers of Dumb and Dumberer two. See the producers alleged in their lawsuit against Joel's production company Red Granite, and I quote Red Granite is s funded with moneies that include proceeds from offenses against a foreign nation that involve bribery public officials or misappropriation, theft or embezzlement of public funds by a public official. Plaintiffs are informed and believed that public officials in Asia and the Middle East have taken bribes and or misappropriated, stolen or embezzled funds, and that those ill gotten funds have been invested in Red Granite. That pretty much lays it all out right in the language. So what's the story of this production company, Red Granite? Fantastic question, Elizabeth. You see, back in twenty ten, jo Lo and his school friend Reza Aziz, they decided to get into the film business. Yeah, neither man had any experience in Alloa.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: But in fact Aziz had been a banker in London, so he thought, Oh, after the financial collapse of two thousand and eight, he decided to get out of banking. He's like, I'm going to get into the picture business. These are very similar, luckily for him. In two thousand and nine, his stepfather, the newly elected Prime Minister of Malaysia, formed something called one MDB, which stands for one Malaysia Development baarhart Or Bank. Now that's the aforementioned sovereign weal fund I told you about. Yeah, that Jolo conspired along with his buddy disease and his stepfather to create It was designed to quote invest in green energy and tourism, to create high quality jobs for all Malaysians. But really it was a big piggybank for them to loot. Yeah, this is where it starts to resemble our more modern money laundering schemes. You see, the Malaysian government partnered with a Saudi investment firm called Petro Saudi, and that all made perfect sense on paper. Since Malaysia is a predominantly Muslim nation, it's also conservative, and it's an oil producer just like Saudi Arabia. They're like, we have similar business interests. So the investment deal was Malaysia and Petro Saudi contributed two point five billion dollars to the new one MDB investment fun.
Speaker 2: So this is for green energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because back then that's what Sudi Raby was talking about the future was going to be green energy. So sensibly this was for new infrastructure as well as oil development projects because they're not going to leave their money maker behind. So meanwhile, behind the scenes, seven hundred million dollars was directed into a shell company called good Star, which was a company owned and controlled by Jolo. So there are all these the mini bribes and payoffs to Malaysian officials to grease the wheels of their conspiracy. Not to mention the fees paid international investment banks like Goldman Sachs, because the investment banks executives helped make this scheme pass compliance and beat all the regulators and what they would do. And as you might imagine, with all that graft and outright theft, it didn't leave much money for the needed green energy and infrastructure projects or the quote high quality jobs for all Malaysians. But anyway, back to Red Granted. In twenty ten, using the money embezzled from one MDB and dispersed through Low's front company, Good Star, Aziz took a cut of hundreds of millions of dollars and he bought himself a production company and he named himself co founder and CEO. And then to make their name on the Hollywood scene, Joe Lo did what he did best. He threw an epic party to announce their new production company, Red Granite, and in May of twenty eleven, at the Conns Film Festival, Red Granted announced that they had just purchased the rights to the Wolf of Wall Street and they intended to make it with DiCaprio and Scorsese. This was huge news, yeah, because, as the Hollywood Press reported it at the time, DiCaprio had finally found someone to pay for his dream project. He'd been wanting to make this for years, and the Wolf of Wall Street had been mired in development, had gone into turnaround. It had been just been bobbing around Hollywood for a while. It's always deemed basically too expensive because it had a hard R rating and it also had one hundred million dollar budget, so it was a risky investment as far as all the calculus they use. So back in two thousand and nine, no one in Hollywood was willing to take that risk because nobody has any money, right, And all of a sudden, this guy, when Red Granite comes along and he goes to cons and announces it, we're making it. We're doing the Wolf of Wall Street. And to make sure people had all eyes on the Red Granite party, they flew in Kanye West to perform. And when you know it, Forarrell Williams opened for Kanye.
Speaker 2: What does he buzzing around?
Speaker 3: So you got Bradley Cooper and Leonardo DiCaprio dancing in the crowd right. And later on when Kanye took the stage, Jamie Fox joined him and together they performed gold Digger, with Jamie Fox doing his own like you know bit from the race. So it was quite the spectacles. When I'm telling quite the party, you would have loved, I love, I mean hate. In an interview with Collider producer Reza Aziz, he spoke to the many questions about what an amateur like him was doing in cons or in Hollywood, and why some neophyte like him was producing a movie with one of the greatest living directors, and how he'd managed to partner with one of the world's most famous, respected leading men. And obviously the answer was quite simple.
Speaker 2: Money money.
Speaker 3: So Aziz called The Wolf of Wall Street a compelling story about quote a guy who comes from nothing, gets everything overnight and becomes rich. And in that journey from nothing to everything, he gets sidetracked with all the drugs, the hookers and the alcohol, and once he gets to the top, he gets taken down by the government.
Speaker 2: That's an aspirational story.
Speaker 3: He also promised that once again, quote when you see the film, it's a good snapshot of what American capitalism is like kind of an indictment.
Speaker 2: He's like, and that's complimentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I guess true words were never spoken, right, But that doesn't answer the question. How did Joe Lo and Riza Aziz impress Scorsese and DiCaprio enough to work with them? I said, money, But there's more to it. Okay, let's take a break and after these messages, we will get back into the more. Back, Elizabeth, we are back to enjoying Jo Lo and this crazy tour. S okay, Well, back to my man, Reza Asease. He had an interview with Collider, the media outlet that covers like entertainment and uh. In that interview, he credited his businessman's efficiency for his success, with the.
Speaker 4: Straight efficiency, all efficiency.
Speaker 3: He said, explaining how he got into the Wolf of Wall Street and got Marty and Leo to come together on the project.
Speaker 2: Yes, he said, and.
Speaker 3: I quote, we bought the script in the book rights from Warner Brothers and signed Leo on, and then waited for Marty to finish with Hugo and signed him on. Once you get those two guys on board, it's a fast moving train. Right after it's been a great ride so far.
Speaker 2: At least he like didn't mix his metaphors that if.
Speaker 3: You asked the actual Wolf of Wall Street, Jordan Belford, who oh yeah, brought into all this.
Speaker 2: He's got to be making money off of it.
Speaker 3: Oh, he told The Hollywood Reporter in twenty fourteen. A little bit later quote Leo just refused to let it die. And after the option expired in twenty eleven, Scott Lambert called a meeting with everybody, me, DiCaprio's manager, rick Yorn, Leo, and Alexandra at the Polo Lounge and Leo goes, We're gonna get Marty, and then I start hearing about Red Granite. They buy it. They announced it con They said, listen, we're gonna make Marty an offer he can't refuse. Isn't that cute?
Speaker 2: I love it there at the Polo Loune.
Speaker 3: Right, the Hollywood newbies are gonna make a Godfather reference about them pressuring Martin scor Sasey into making their film So Good at the polou.
Speaker 2: At the Polo Anywhere, Pink and everywhere.
Speaker 3: So before filming began for New Year's Eve in twenty twelve, Joe Lo and Disease Jamie Fox, DiCaprio, and his co star Jonahill. They all celebrate New Year's together in Australia. Then they hopped on a private jet and they flew to Vegas where they promptly celebrated the New Year a second time. Isn't that amazing, Elizabeth?
Speaker 4: You know, it's the concern for the environment by up, you know.
Speaker 3: But see, they had enough embezzled money to celebrate New Years twice. Sure, I mean, if time is money, why not cheat time?
Speaker 4: But too, you know, at least Leo drives a prius of course offset all that.
Speaker 3: So in the fall of twenty twelve, the winter of twenty thirteen, they filming The Wolf of Wall Street, right, And then when they get done, to commemorate the fact that they wrapped jo Lo and Reza z Eve, they gave Leonardo DiCaprio a very personal birthday gift, something that had eluded him thus far. It was an Oscar. That's right. Red Granite presented DiCaprio with the Oscar statuette that Marlon Brando won for on the waterfront.
Speaker 2: So why didn't Marlon Brando have this?
Speaker 3: There's a bunch of interesting stories, backstories both of his Oscars. He also had another Oscar, the one he got for The Godfather. Apparently that one also got lost to the wind and ended up with Charlie Chaplin of all people. I don't know why this one was. What happened to it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like did he get.
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: I know he doesn't care, but I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: Like if he I wish I had an answer for it.
Speaker 2: He gave it away to someone else?
Speaker 3: No, I do not know, but I do know that it cost them six hundred thousand dollars to buy it from the new owner interested. But what's six hundred grand between friends? You know?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 3: So Joe Low and Rizozis they hoped that that oscar would bring good luck to Leo and their film. And you know, if you allow me to momentarily fast forward to the Oscars. That next following year, DiCaprio was nominated for Best Actor for The Wolf of Wall Street. The film was nominated for Best Picture, and sadly neither.
Speaker 4: One you look at how badly everyone knew that Leonardo DiCaprio really wanted an Oscar and to give him one that's not his, like exactly, it's like, no, he doesn't want the statuette, you ding.
Speaker 2: He he wants the award. He wants everyone to he wants the accolade.
Speaker 3: Here's a tiny gold man. You like tiny gold man? Here you come.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, here, Marlon Brando one one, you had it, but we bought you.
Speaker 2: Marlon Brando, you can have his. So that makes you happy? Brando, but he bust up his hair.
Speaker 3: Does that make you happy? So back to the gifts for Leo, because there's others, as I pointed out, and many of twenty thirteen. A little bit after this, DiCaprio held this art auction for his environmental charity because he's into that. Jolo attends the auction, he snaps up two pieces of art to support his friend's cause.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course this sparks this art.
Speaker 3: Buying frenzy for jo Lo. So earlier in March he bought his very first piece of art, and it was Jean Michel Bosquiot's collage painting Redman from nineteen eighty two. He bought it for nine point two million dollars. And then two days after DiCaprio's art auction in May, jo Loo bought another Basquiocht dust Heads, the very famous painting. Yeah, that one cost him forty eight point eight million dollars.
Speaker 2: Was it wrecked?
Speaker 3: It was a record at the time for a work by Bosciot. What yes? And then that June Jolo grabbed a Rothko that set him back about any one point five mil. Oh, my god, Elizabeth, he was hooked. He got the bug.
Speaker 2: I just can't these.
Speaker 4: I can't get my head around the prices and the fact that like Malaysia's buying these, not knowing.
Speaker 3: For the good jobs in Malaysia.
Speaker 2: Green in phasis helping.
Speaker 3: Next, Joo picked up works from Picasso, van go Or van Goch, Monet, Liechtenstein, Warhol, and some more Bosciots. Then he gave his good friend Leonardo some of his new artworks. According to the art news outlet Artsy, they reported that quote Lo had decided to gift a few works, the nine point two million Bascuiote brought from Namad and the three point two million Picasso from the Monaco art dealer, along with a Diane Arbus photo purchased for seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars, all to one person. The handwritten note said, dear Leonardo DiCaprio, Happy belated birthday. This gift is for you, creepy happy belated bird.
Speaker 2: Happy dear Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 3: You're so close, Leonardo DiCaprio. I laughed at that one when I read it, too. So at this point, not long after this, it's now the start of twenty fourteen, and Jolo begins to date the Australian supermodel Miranda Kerr. Okay, and naturally he was quite generous with her, as he was with all.
Speaker 2: His closes quote unquote date.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know. So for Valentine's Day, Jolo ordered a diamond necklace worth roughly two million dollars be created custom for her and then hand delivered to curR. And for Kerr's birthday, which was just a short time after Valentine's Day, jo Lo created a nineties themed night and for that he paid Salt and Peppa and Vanilla Ice to perform at her birthday party. Oh, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jamie Fox were at the party.
Speaker 2: Jamie's not missing any of this are.
Speaker 3: Champagne He's It was apparently an epic night.
Speaker 2: Oh sure.
Speaker 3: In my experience, I'm always suspicious of someone who wants to hire Vanilla Ice to perform. It just seems like a red flag total nineties night Vanilla Ice and I really.
Speaker 2: Disappointed the Salt Pepper, But I mean they got bills.
Speaker 3: They got bills. Yeah, you know. So you know what Elizabeth I forgot to tell you about was Joe Lo also gave Kerr an enormous sea through one hundred percent translucent grand piano around this same time. This piano was so big that contractors had to build new walls around the piano once they got it into place in her Hollywood Hills mansion. So they knocked down walls, they put in the piano, they built new walls.
Speaker 2: This is just obscene, obs.
Speaker 3: And ridiculous, like what they're doing with the money. I'm like, you bought a translucent piano?
Speaker 2: Obscene?
Speaker 3: Why have you ever seen one? No?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 3: Now you are you wondering? Didn't any of these Hollywood veterans and supermodels suspect that Jolo was buying their friendship, their time, their romance. Didn't they see that he was basically love bombing them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they know, they don't care.
Speaker 3: No. At the time, the only person who seemed to see Joe Lo for the criminal he was was his fellow con man, the og Wolf of Wall Street, Jordan Baumber. Yeah, he knew Low was from the word go. For instance, when he first met Jolo and a Z's he told his girlfriend, these guys are criminals. Wow, one day meets the first time he meets you. That's his reed. As Bellefort later recalled, quote, they flew me to cons for four or five months after they bought the movie, and they wanted to announce it in con It hadn't even gone into production yet, and they threw a launch party. They must have spent three million dollars on the launch party. They flew in Kanye West and I said to Anne, this is a scam. Anybody who does this is stolen money. You wouldn't spend money you worked for like that.
Speaker 2: That's a really good pointing.
Speaker 3: A read like that, right, drag queens and criminals like at this, I will listen to.
Speaker 2: It, Jordan, the soothsayers.
Speaker 3: Yes. At one point, Bellford turned down half a million dollars of Low's free money he was throwing around. As Bellefort tells it, quote, So then the movie goes into production and I'm spending a lot of time with Leo and these guys wanted to meet me for dinner and they wanted me to go to Vegas with Leo. They offered me money and everything to go to Vegas. I'll lot of money, like five hundred thousand dollars, which I really could have used. I was like, I can't do it. Leo went, Margo went, that's Margot Robbie.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So why didn't Jordan Belford take the easy money like everyone else? Fantastic question.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Well, but as we've established he knew better. What Let's leave it to him to explain. As he put it, quote, I refuse to go, and because of that, I'm not mentioned in the articles. I've learned my lesson. It's all red granite. They tried to offer him money and give me things. I never even spoke to these guys. I was like, I don't need these people. I knew it. It was so obvious.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he's like, that's dirty money. I don't want no part of it. Yeah, he's gonna stay me in the future. I'm looking out for future joys and brushes.
Speaker 2: He doesn't need to to go back.
Speaker 3: No, he doesn't want to get tired with that brush of crime again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it was this point obvious to those with eyes to look, you know, but apparently not obvious to everyone like Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Fox and many others. Okay, let's take another little break, and after these messages we'll hear how Jolo was brought low once some other clear eyed folks take a look at the mountain of evidence of corruption, fraud, embezzlement, and outright theft.
Speaker 6: Back in two and two. We're back, Elizabeth, we are back.
Speaker 3: Sorry, and I know I've hit you with a crazy cocktail of figures and dates.
Speaker 4: We're talking about all of this money flowing and how absolutely disgusting and o'b seen it is, the amount of money spent on ridiculous things. And then I'm remembering back to Leonardo DiCaprio lecturing everybody on greed. Yes, and he's you know, people don't know these guys in their take all this money to them.
Speaker 3: This is why I don't go by anything people say, only by what they do. So true, it just always works out because it's so easy to say things. So it is you. I mean, it's literally to open your mouth and exhale some air. I mean, that's how much effort it takes, but to actually have a consistent pattern of behavior, which is why I really came away from this story respecting Jordan Belford so much.
Speaker 2: That's where I am right now. I'm thinking, like.
Speaker 3: He turned down the money, he would not take the trips, he would not be associated.
Speaker 2: With smell right. And now these other guys they know it too.
Speaker 4: It's deep in their hearts. Yes, and yet they're willing to overlook it. And why, I don't know. Let's ask Leo what his favorite topic is this?
Speaker 3: Maybe why you know, at the beginning of the last century, no one really wanted actors to marry into their families. They didn't trust actresses. Only recently, only when like movies that came about, did we start actually talking about actors in high regard and high esteem. Before that, everyone's like they do what for money? They lie? I don't trust them.
Speaker 4: But it's like that projection of like, oh, all these people who are so greedy?
Speaker 3: Ye yeah, oh yeah, of course, Well you know, so checks projection. Now I got asked, are you ready to hear how criminal gravity gives a good art tug to Joba? Yes, okay, Well, the credit for ending this orgy of money, fame parties, high price gifts. It belongs to two people. One was a wronged banker and the other was an investigative reporter. I liked both a right, so, Elizabeth meet the first, the banker, Xavier Justo. He was a Swiss banker, but not just any old Swiss banker. He was friends with the co founder of Petro Saudi Oh, which means he traveled to rarefied air. For instance. Justo was friends with Tarek Obayat, who was a well connected Saudi national, really good friend of his. The two men party together often in Geneva. This is all during the early aughts, like three, two thousand and nine, two thousand and eight, like right. So at that time, according to the Guardian, Justo was quote running a large financial services firm Thin and four and the owner of a Geneva night spot named the Platinum Club.
Speaker 4: I don't trust people who are like oh, I party with them in filling the blanks. That's like in another country. It's like people who summer places.
Speaker 3: You don't trust that no lines draw you.
Speaker 4: Know, I just it tells me that everything I need to know. But party with you know, honestly, even if it's like, I party with filling the blank person.
Speaker 2: At and it's in your town. I'm like, that's still you party with them.
Speaker 3: No, you go out and you leave the house to meet them.
Speaker 2: I mean, who does that? You go out in public? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: You got to be perceived. Yeah. So in two thousand and six, while he was doing well for himself, Justo ended up loaning his friend Tarek Obayad thirty thousand dollars. Not only that, he also let him use a desk at his financial firm thin In for to start a new company called Petro Saudi.
Speaker 4: Well that's the other thing is if you're running with like high up Saudi's.
Speaker 3: Gotta say you don't trust it little shady Well, they're he's not known for doing like the best things. No, there's interesting stories that you come out of La about the rental houses that they have, like in Beverly Hills. Like I used to be a house painter, and let me just tell you, you got crazy stories down in La about like the well, all the mini Saudi. There's like hundreds of Saudi princes. So they come over and they act like a Saudi prince and they rent these mansions and we would have to go in and paint to clean up what had happened. We're like, what happened here, and they would be like, you don't want to know. Oh, yeah, it was a big bad oh. So at this point, one of the co founders of Petro Saudi was a Saudi prince, Prince Turkey Ben Abdullah and Elizabeth. Since you hear Ben Abdullah means he was the son of King Abdullah and Abdullah Ziz. So he was a legit Saudi prince of the late king King Abdullah, right, right, So he's like a real legit prince, but he didn't make it to like a crown prince. So he's like one of the many out there just spending fortunes doing whatever they want, buying up you know, soccer teams, f one clubs, night clubs in Vegas. They're just on a buying spree at this point in time, right.
Speaker 4: There have to be some who are doing good, and sure people always hear about.
Speaker 3: The yes, but on this show the other one. So Justin gets brought into this social circle of the Saudi prince and in two thousand and nine, oh by Ed his friend. He was on a three hundred foot mega yacht that's docked off the coast of Monaco, and on board with him are jo Loo, Prince Turkey, and the newly elected Prime Minister Najeb of Malaysia. Yeah, so the men discuss their business investment opportunities, ways for the two oil rich nations to investor Petro dollars. They told you about that earlier. And by this point Jolo and the Prime Minister they have created the wealth fund, the one MDB, and so the Prime Minister was the chairman of the board of that. Jolo was an unofficial advisor. But in that one business meeting on the super yacht, this spurred a wave of business deals, right, just a bunch of stuff followed. So months after the meeting, Prime Minister Naseeb travels to Saudi Arabia and there he concludes some of the deals. He signs a major deal between Malaysia and Saudi Arabia, the two nations. They announced this new joint venture worth two point five billion dollars. The men claim that Petro Saudi and one MDB would quote make strategic investments in high impact projects. That's some empty words.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 3: Petro Saudi pumps one point five billion into the partnership, one MDB adds a billion of theirs, actually the Malaysian people's money, and Elizabeth, you want to guess what happened next, No, you don't have to because you already know. According to the Department of Justices two hundred and fifty one page criminal complaint and quotes, Low and his associates cost seven hundred million of that one billion that was to be invested in the joint venture to be sent to an account at RBS Coots Bank and Zurich held in the name of good Star Limited. That was the money I told you about.
Speaker 2: Earlier, thered million, right.
Speaker 3: So then later on, once again, according to the DOJ, approximately three hundred and thirty million in additional funds were wired at the direction of one MDB officials to the good Star account. So they got a cool billion dollars to play with. Now, as we hear over and over again, it's not exactly easy to send that kind of money around, right, because it generates paper trails. And then also you have got compliance officers at international banks and they have to personally sign off on such large transfers away, right, But they can be got around.
Speaker 2: Apparently everyone can.
Speaker 3: Because according to the DOJ, one MDB officials represented, including to Deutsche Bank in Malaysia, the Good Star was a wholly owned subsidiary of Petro Saudi. This was not true. According to banking records, Good Star was a company controlled by Low and Low was also the Good Star accounts, a beneficial owner and sole authorized signatory. At the time, Lowe was a twenty nine year old with no official position with a one MDB or Petro Saudi. So just give a billion dollars to our unofficial advisor. So to get around bank regulators and compliance officers, Joel relied on a network of business associates. This still managed to set off alarm bells amongst the international bankers. Talk was going back bouncing around the globe right and as the DOJ describes it. Quote in an email dated September twenty eighth, two thousand and nine, a banker at BSI and Lugano wrote, I don't like the transaction at all, in particular the role and involvement of mister Low Tayak Joe looks and feels very suspicious to me. The joint venture then approached JP Morgan Swiss about opening an account without disclosing the same details about the structure of the investment. The joint venture open an account at JP Morgan Swiss on or about September thirtieth, two thousand and nine. So basically, they skirted money laundering and embezzlement concerns by going bank shopping. They found a bank that would not look too closely, and JP Morgan Swiss was like, that's us man, we like to it. So now, at one point, when bank folks were asking pointed questions about the missing funds and loan repayment schedules, one unnamed Saudi official he claimed in a letter two bank regulators that the alleged financial improprieties quote should not in any event be construed as an active corruption, since this is against the practice of Islam and I personally do not encourage such practices in any matter whatsoever. This is merely a personal token of appreciation of Lowe's good work in promoting in the Middle East. So this was a tip. They're like, this is a tip man, billion dollars. Good guy's good. Yeah, kid's good. Twenty nine year old if you were partied with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's really living the tenants of this line.
Speaker 3: So now skip forward to twenty fifteen, a short six years later. By then, rumors had been building. Everybody, No, and you can only write so many letters of like he's done good work promoting and bus Remember there's that Swiss banker Justo who I mentioned earlier. Well, you see, back in two thousand and nine, Xavier Justo had agreed to come to work for Oby Ed at Petra Saudi. The friend he loaned the thirty grand too. Yeah, and then for a couple of years he watched as this Saudi national who Justo once called a little brother, he made millions upon billions upon billions for himself and his business partners with the Petro Saudi one mdbn laundering scheme. And then, according to Justo, his friend's behavior changed. Soon enough they would get into rageful fights. Oh yeah, yeah, like lots of like you know, shouting and fighting. Right, So, by March of twenty eleven, Justo opts to step away from Petro Saudi. Yeah, that took some negotiations, but in the end Petro Saudi agreed to a severance package with Justo. The company would pay him six point five million Swiss francs.
Speaker 2: Okay, just to bounce right.
Speaker 3: But then after they came to terms. Petro Saudi was like, you know what, I don't like that deal, so the informed Justo will actually give you four million Swiss francs oh right. Trouble was, Justo still had access to the Petro Saudi servers, so he downloaded all of the data he could and he hung on to it, waiting for the right moment to get his revenge. Finally, of September twenty thirteen, Justo decided it was time to get his revenge and get the money owed to him, so he sends an email to Petro Saudi. He tells him I got gigabytes of evidence of criminal conspiracy to embezzlem billions, so you're gonna pay me my money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This led to get this Elizabeth a furious exchange of emails. They went back and forth, insulting each other, threatening each other.
Speaker 2: I love email site totally.
Speaker 3: At one point, a rep from Petro Saudi warrened Justo, that quote troubles me so much. Is the way in which I see this situation ending with the destruction of you.
Speaker 2: In an email.
Speaker 3: Yes, so that torret that pushed Justo to share what he knew and all the data he had he chose to go to an intrepid environmental reporter. Uh, Elizabeth, meet the second person, Claire Rooecastle Brown.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: Normally she'd be the sort of person that Leonardo DiCaprio would like and esteem and invite to a charity auction. Right, A good point. And she's a retired British journalist. Would move back to Malaysia, where she'd spent the early years of her life. She wanted to return to that tropical existence. And you know, even though she missed London, she was like, I really miss Malaysia. So when she gets back to Malaysia, she finds that it's not what she remembers. There's an active bit of deforestation going. She's like, you're savaging the environment, this beautiful place, this oasis. So as a retired journalist, you know, she does what she does best. She puts her journalism hat back on. She starts calling attention to the issue. So she starts a blog. She starts reporting on the corruption and the maufeza she finds, and she keeps digging and digging until she finally reaches the Prime Minister of Malaysia.
Speaker 2: She's just gonna blog it out.
Speaker 3: She's like this goes right to the top. In an interview with Fraud Magazine, which by the way, we need a subscription to magazine. Rucastle Brown fraud Magazine. I think it's a British outlet, they said, Ruecastle Brown told Fraud Magazine, and I quote, I was following a strand that concerned me about what was going on and how our global systems were being managed to the enormous disadvantage of people in the environment and what appeared to be a very dodgy practice. Of course, what I found is every time I uncovered the correct I was just getting higher and higher. The reason why nothing was being done about any of these appalling actions was because the corruption went right to the top. So Ok. Thanks to her independent diligence, people began to leak info to her for her reporting, and one of those people was Xavier Justo, who had plenty of avacs to share with the investigative reporter. There went right to the top.
Speaker 2: He's got thumb drives for days, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean literal days. But you know what, Elizabeth, rather let me tell you more about this.
Speaker 2: Close your eyes.
Speaker 3: I want you to picture it. It's afternoon in Malaysia and you are in Kuala Lumpur. In your apartment, out on the balcony, working on your laptop, you absent mindedly fan the perspiration blooming on your shoulders and arms and gathering in the pits of your elbows. You, Elizabeth, are investigative reporter Claire Rucastle Brown and you're checking your email. The city sounds bubble up to where you were seated on the balcony, and iced tea sweats through a glass on the table next to your open laptop. You scan read an email from a source about some background info on an upcoming interview. After that, there's an email from your editor about your last submitted article. It's a disagreement about whether a person moves towards something, or if a person moves towards something with or without an S. On the end, the editor is willing to admit you were both right. There is no right answer. It's a matter of taste. You smile to yourself and close the email. You don't need to respond to that one right now. You enjoy a long, slow sip of the still ice cold iced tea, and then you move on to the last email, the final one you have to clear before you're back to in box zero. You click on the email and you begin to read. You take another sip of iced tea, but you stop. Suddenly, you nearly choke on the iced tea, until finally you blow a spit take across your laptop. It spouts like the spray of a breaching killer whale. After you regain your breath and dab up the iced t you just spit on your laptop. You go back to the email and read it again, this time knowing what's coming. You don't do a second spit take, but you do gold like a cartoon character in a haunted house. The email you see is from a Swiss banker who says he possesses a stolen cash of emails and financial reports and data that altogether would paint a damning picture of the Malaysian Prime Minister, a Saudi prince, the firm Petro Saudi and the wealth fund one MDB and their multi billion dollar scheme for high finance, money laundering and outright theft. You read further and the email lists names, key figures, dates, amounts, deals made, partnerships forged and protected by a shield of shell companies. It's all there, and it's all convincing. The whole world goes quiet, The city sounds fade away, the birds and the buzz of insects disappears from your ears intil all that's left is the sound of your heart beat, and then a soft explosion, like a bomb just detonated inside your skull. It's followed by what sounds like a fuzzy underwater echo of the blast, which fades away as the birds and insects and the sounds of the city all rushing back and return. Just like that. You know this is a major world changing story. You type out a quick response to your new source. Your fingers shake with that electric tingle of excitement thrilling through your body. You decide to keep it grief. You finish the email and end it by saying how much you look forward to learning more and seeing what data and evidence the source has. If you handle this one right, this story could be the biggest story of your life. Elizabeth. This is how Claire Rucastle Brown, and a pissed off banker came together to bring down a multi billion dollar crimes Free. Now, it did take some work to earn Justo's trust, and there was his money to consider. Justo was gonna get paid. He was like, I'm here for the money. He demanded two million American for the full story if he would trade the evidence, the data, the cash of emails. But he was going to get paid.
Speaker 2: He get paid for it.
Speaker 3: That took some time to arrange, but they managed to arrange the two million dollars.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Once they had a promise to pay him in place, Justo trusted Rucastle Brown and he hands her the stolen cash of emails and he gives her key insights into the whole sprawling money laundering scheme. And then on February twenty eighth, twenty fifteen, Rucastle Brown publishes her first story that exposes the one MDB billion dollar robbery. She titles her article Heist of the Century.
Speaker 2: And this is on her blog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the very next day the world changes. The sovereign wealth fund one MDB. They denounced the story. It was all around the world. They claim it's fraudulent. The well fund reports it's It not only recouped the initial investment, but it also earned a tidy reported profit of four hundred and eighty eight million dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, Elizabeth, none of that was true.
Speaker 3: You can't imagine That led to The New York Times asking some questions about Joe Lo, Reza Z's, and their time in Hollywood because the knew they were connected to all of this. In February twenty fifteen, The Times reported that reza Z's insisted to them that there's no Malaysian money. That's a quote that meant no Sole and Ken exactly. It was being used to operate Red Granite or to pay for its film productions. Elizabeth, this too was a lie. Yeah, Suddenly everyone knew that DiCaprio and Jamie Fox and the whole gangs. What they all seem to miss when they were hanging out with Joe Lo is that he is a movie level villain.
Speaker 2: Yes, exist.
Speaker 3: So in July twenty fifteen, The Wall Street Journal publishes an in depth investigation into Low A Z's read granted one MDB Petro Saudi, tying the whole scheme together. Then the Department of Justice launched its investigation, which resulted in that two hundred and fifty one page complaint that lays out the whole sordid affair. Now, as part of the DOJ's indictment of Low, the FEDS also filed an asset forfeiture. That meant lee Ardo DiCaprio, he lost his Basquiete painting, he lost his Picasso, he lost his Marlon Brando Oscar. They were all seized by the government.
Speaker 4: Yes, now I'm wondering. You said that like Leo had sold a painting at his auction.
Speaker 3: He had a charity auction for an environmental group. So people are basically selling. He was just raising money from the auction.
Speaker 2: I see. And then he but he got one of those paintings.
Speaker 3: Jolo bought one for him.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: He's like here you go, buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, Jolo, by the way, he gets indicted by the DOJ in Absentia and to this day, twenty twenty six, he remains on the LAMB. No rumors and evidence suggested he's hiding out in China since they have no extradition treaty with either America or Malaysia. Yeah, there was some talk a while ago that Malaysia would trade some deal making with China if they could get their hands on Jolo, but that did not occur.
Speaker 2: So interesting.
Speaker 3: Now Jolo's friend stepdad, Riza Aziza's stepdad, the now former Prime Minister of Malaysia. His assets were seized. He was an easy target. He couldn't fast enough, and he was in prison for fifteen years for his part in the scandal. So he saw prison time. And I guess I should mention Prakazel Michelle otherwise known as Praz from the fujis the one who's not white left Jean or Lauren Hill. Well, you see, there was a second Department of Justice complaint against Jolo, not the first that he was part of because he Praz got caught trying to bribe the first Trump administration to drop the charges against Jolo. Yes, what so? According to the DOJ, Praz was part of a criminal conspiracy to wire and distribute millions to lobby against Jolo's prosecution under Trump. One turns out Praz worked with Elliott Brody, one of President Trump's campaign fundraisers. Yes, the kind of guy who focuses on big donors. Right. Together, these two established bank accounts to distribute funds to lobby the Trump administrator to kill the DOJ investigation. That one did go to trial, and poor Praz has now been sentenced to fourteen years in federal prison. What that of all the folks involved. Praz from the Fujis catches prison time. It just doesn't seem fair. I mean, I'm not saying excusing what he did, but he doesn't fair all the people to catch prison time. It's praz from.
Speaker 2: The It is fourteen years, fourteen years.
Speaker 3: In federal prison. I mean they're low security but still federal prison. Yes, and get much less time. Yah, don't get me started. Obviously, one day, Joe Low's story will make a very fine movie. Yes, it may be a better film than Wolf of Wall Street.
Speaker 2: But who's going to start it?
Speaker 3: I know I he could win an Oscar. I mean, it has all the elements to be a great drama. The question is is, though, who would you cast to play Leonardardo DiCaprio, Does he play himself? Who do you cast to play Paris Hilton or Martin Scorsese? Do you get to play Marshy.
Speaker 2: Now Timothy Salome there.
Speaker 3: I like that call. As far as we know, DiCaprio did nothing criminal. I want to be very clear about that. In many ways he got played, whether knowingly or not. DiCaprio casually ambetted this massive fraud because he wanted to make his dream project. In the wake of this multi billion dollar legal scandal, Discaprio has said very little to nothing at all. The FEDS did, though, ask the actor to secretly testify before a grand jury. Yeah, he did comply with that, but since it was before a grand jury, we don't know all what was said. In a prepared statement from his REPS, DiCaprio said of Jolo and his whole involvement quote, both mister DiCaprio and the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation continue to be entirely supportive of all efforts to assure that justice is done in this matter. Mister DiCaprio is grateful for the lead and the instruction of the government on how to accomplish this unreal So it's telling that the most honorable person in this whale of a tale is a convicted criminal. Yes, but Jordan Belfort called it from the jump. He saw it, didn't pretend it was something else, didn't try to benefit from it. As Bellefort said, they tried to offer me money and give me things. I was like, I don't need these people. That's the spirit you should. No one rich needed them, right, But people found ways to use Jolo, which only furthered his crime. So essentially their own designs and greed and desires capitulated to his and and furthered them. So basically 's greed inspired greed and others. And it was like it was like an STI, only it was a criminal infection just bouncing around Hollywood. So Elizabeth, what's our ridiculous takeaway here?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: You know the intoxic I mean, it's an age old the intoxicating quality of money and wealth, right, but seeing it kind of all just laid out like.
Speaker 2: That is just disgusting. The numbers you're throwing around.
Speaker 3: And what they did with it, like an invisible piano.
Speaker 2: Mean, that's what you want.
Speaker 4: I mean, we already know that modern art is money launching basically, so you see all that, and like you see these eye watering rices that things go for. But just like the throwing money around. And I'm really struck by your friend's story of him forcing the staff into the pool.
Speaker 3: And being satisfied with the paid smiles.
Speaker 4: Paid smiles, and you know, you think about it, it's like you're working your staff at a party at a rooftop bar in Vegas. You know, you have like a uniform that you wear, so you've got like the shoes that you wear to work. Well, now you know, I don't know if they were able to kick their shoes off, but all these things that like they have to demean themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is entertainment.
Speaker 3: A casino pool like rooftop pool party waitress and you've just now hopped into a pool and splashing around. I mean, I feel bad for them, But when I say this, I think it's pitiful. I mean Jolo that he could be satisfied by all those fake smiles and act like he's really winning it.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: He took all these form allagi people's money just to get some kind of feeling.
Speaker 2: That's pitiful, right, So there you go.
Speaker 3: That's mine, and thank you for asking. Of course, anytime in the movie for a talkback, watch this one down, produce a d what you got for us? I got a good one for you. Oh God, I.
Speaker 2: Love get.
Speaker 5: Hi's Aaron, Hi Elizabeth. I just wanted to say thank you for keeping me well entertained on countless nights spent on my cannabis farm. It's fun listening to a crime podcast while I do things that would be considered in many states, but not the one that I live in, to be quite criminal. Indeed, again, thanks for keeping me well entertained. I hope y'all have a lovely evening evening and have a nice dinner.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you so lovely.
Speaker 2: See everyone what a cannabis farmer is.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful, just making joy and wishing people happy day exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we can keep you company.
Speaker 3: Thank you as always. You can find us online if you'd like more Ridiculous Crime on Instagram we have pictures there images of everything we're talking about. And on Blue Sky you can go over there and check us out as well. It's Ridiculous Crime. Also, we have our account Ridiculous Crime Pod on YouTube. Go check that if you like watching and listening to your podcast. We have our website ridiculous Crime dot com which has a bunch of merch and fun stuff for you to check out. Go there. It is quite a kick. And also the iHeart app download leave a talkback. We'd love to hear your voice here. Maybe you'd like to.
Speaker 2: Hear your voice here, so do it, do it.
Speaker 3: Oh. Also, we have our email email Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com and please start your email. Dear producer day. We appreciate you, thank you for listening, and we will catch you next Crime Ridiculous Crime. It's hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnette, produced and edited by Leonardo DiCaprio's auctioneer to the stars, Dave Ridiculous assistant is Jamie Foxx's piano player, Tarry Maldonado. Fall research is by Miranda Kerr's piano cleaners, Marisa Brown and Jabari Davis. Our theme song is by Thomas Lee and Travis Stutton. The host wardrobe provided by Botany five hundred producer. Dave's wardrobe provided by Mister Guy of Beverly Hills. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshot and Mister Andre. Executive producers are Ben Hey, how did you meet? Jo Lo Boland and Noel oh Man. I was at this great pool party.
Speaker 2: Brown CUI say it one more time?
Speaker 4: curR.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more Podcasts. My Heart Radio visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.