Speaker 1: Native lamb Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reisent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 4: Welcome.
Speaker 3: This is Native Lampod. It is day two of Live from the Ship.
Speaker 5: We are at the DNC, happy to be here. We had an incredible show yesterday. We are your hosts Angela Rye, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gillam.
Speaker 3: And this is episode thirty four.
Speaker 4: Thirty four. It is thirty four.
Speaker 3: This is episode this episode is the same age as me.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, so that would be not true.
Speaker 3: Eight years since last night.
Speaker 5: Aria, No, I'm just saying, welcome home, y'all. We are thrilled to be here. We have an incredible show. But before we get into to today's show, I would love to hear about you all's highlights from last night at the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 1: Wait, do you mean highlights from like what happened as a convention or just highlights from our time here in Chicago.
Speaker 4: Maybe the convention?
Speaker 3: Has there been so many Yes, that is crazy about what happened to that man.
Speaker 1: We have a story for you that will tell another time. But there was something that happened yesterday, So be sure to tune in the data lampard every time we broadcast.
Speaker 3: Yes when we we have to escape the city. So I.
Speaker 1: Hi, Jamie Harrison is saying, hello, big chair of the d what we did.
Speaker 3: I know you're coming on tomorrow.
Speaker 1: For our viewers at home, Jamie Harrison is the chair of the Democratic National Convention. He's got an amazing job. Dinner National Committee. Forgive me, he's done an amazing job the past couple of years. He as you may remember, is out of South Carolina, ran for Senate and now he chairs the d n C.
Speaker 3: So we're honored to be here with him.
Speaker 1: Angela moderated an event with him earlier this week, so he'll be on tomorrow.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be on tomorrow. He's gonna be on tomorrow.
Speaker 4: And I know investments for helping us win stuff they can't see.
Speaker 1: But we have a whole audience that's standing here in front of us watching. So we want to shout these guys out for being here, being loyal native Lampine UH fans. But I want to say the highlight for me yesterday was definitely Joe Biden. His There were so many moments but when he closed out and said, like America, I've given you everything, I can't. Yes, I don't want to say. I was in somebody's room watching this, having some snacks, and I saw a little tear come out of somebody's eyes. I don't want to say, who stopping.
Speaker 3: Stopping You guys sad time out.
Speaker 5: I am so pissed off right now. You guys watched this together and didn't tell me.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me just say this is.
Speaker 4: No let your food from the lobby, and you went up to your room.
Speaker 5: Well, and I shouldn't have done that because I got in the elevator.
Speaker 6: But we'll story.
Speaker 1: My god, but I was not planning to go to Andrew's. I don't want to hear it too, Okay, all right, I just had.
Speaker 5: Me over here in time out and plussy versus Ferguson's seversation.
Speaker 3: Over here, we have a lot of yellow.
Speaker 4: Alert, Yellow girl alert, yellow girl alert.
Speaker 5: Myself there, you can shop by myself.
Speaker 3: Everybody's so confused. It's fine, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Angela was on the call handling business. She's been responsible for the production, doing so many things. I was one of my from Andrew and I were exhausted, and I told Andrew I didn't want anything to eat, and he were he did.
Speaker 3: He ordered me something.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he ordered me a salad and he was like, do you want to I'm coming to your room there to watch Biden and so I think Andrew was ready to go to sleep.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we watched and at the end of.
Speaker 1: The speed I looked over to Andrew and it was a little single Denzels here rolling down.
Speaker 3: That's a singlenzels here.
Speaker 5: Okay, So what was your highlight, Andrew, Andrew tips highlight?
Speaker 4: Was you crying sometimes?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 4: You yawned?
Speaker 3: Yes, and you know we yawned in this feed.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, no, it was over. I was going to be over. But in truth, I was touched sincerely by one the love the almost five minute ovation that Democrats gave to Joe Biden last night. It was it was so due, it was so merited. I said it yesterday, I said to Get today that I think he committed the most selfless act in politics. I think that I certainly can remember during my lifetime. Yeah, and it still has Donald Trump flamoxt because he didn't think it was possible for the most powerful person in the world to say, you know what, I'm gonna step back when they have an opportunity to stay there. So that was really that was really touching. I thought Hillary Clinton's although we didn't get to hear it all, I saw some of the you know, the recap of it. I thought it was a really powerful address given by her. And we talked Yesterda about whether or not she might feel some sort of way being at this convention where she previously was challenged by Trump. Unfortunately the election I'll come was what it was. And then to now see Kamala another woman in this position where she's competing to vanquish this great enemy of ours with a great chance of being able to do so, she showed up for her and I love that.
Speaker 5: I will say very briefly my highlight yesterday in addition to sitting here with Congressman Thompson, who is just a legend, and the question Siviny asked him to just pull out like the best of him and like knowing y'all, I don't know if y'all really know. He does not like to do press that much, and he was like, I'm just gonna be here, y'all. A Macari and Derek and that was fantastic. I will also say I love to see Jasmine Crockett, AOC, Lauren Underwood, the women who are undergirding this party, this convention, a new generation.
Speaker 3: You're talking about passing the torch in real time.
Speaker 5: Seeing that happen over and over again throughout last night was incredible. I think you really saw them embody what it really means to be a big tent.
Speaker 3: Tonight's theme is a.
Speaker 5: Bold vision for America's future, and I think we'll see more of that, and of course to help us talk about that future and how we continue to to not just honor, but to support and to build infrastructure in communities of color and to the rising majority. As Tiffany Cross always says, is Latasha Brown.
Speaker 7: Voters matter.
Speaker 3: We would love beautiful of Native Lampid.
Speaker 5: We are thrilled to have Latasha Brown joining you.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: As if you watch news, if you follow politics closely, you know Latasha very well.
Speaker 3: She has an amazing voice.
Speaker 1: But what I love about Latasha is you cannot tell the story of America without talking about Latasha Brown and the work that she does. We don't want to leave out cliff Albright as well as our partner and co founder of Black Voters Matter. But Latasha, you show up when nobody calls.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 1: When Hurricane Katrina happened, nobody asked you. You just sprung into action and you love everybody. But you love black folks like you love yourself.
Speaker 4: And it is just the body of the sister spirit. Yes, yeah, bring it, but in a young that's missionary. That's right.
Speaker 3: Woman like Ethereal Spirits, she's an impact, she's our deity.
Speaker 5: But she's definitely yes herself, Yes, and an evangelist, warrior, all the things.
Speaker 3: Only depression depression.
Speaker 4: Welcome, says thank you.
Speaker 6: I am at the Native Pod.
Speaker 8: I'm just happy to be here in Native This is our land, this is out and I feel that, I feel the spirit.
Speaker 6: I'm so proud of y'all. I love each and every one of you.
Speaker 8: Like every week I'm listening because I was like, listen, let me get grounded, let me get right. I was like, Angela, gonna bring some fire and get some spice on it. They're typically gonna like, look, well, I'm just saying, and literally, my brother is always I'm gonna be the voice of reason until I.
Speaker 5: I love that you are doing the people's work, and it is always our honor not only to lift you up and to encourage you, but anytime you've call on us, we want to be there with you. I'll never forget And t If I hope you don't mind me telling this story. We're on the other side of you know what, MSNBC digitive and we knew there was no other place we should be but in Atlanta, next to you, working with you, and I remember, like the people that you pour into, pouring back into Tiffany talk about why the work of black voters matter is so critical, especially in a moment like this.
Speaker 8: You know, I think that it's important for us to recognize that if change is to happen, if we're going to have the nation that we desire, we deserve and we're going to have to create it.
Speaker 6: So we've got to generate it.
Speaker 8: And the way that we generated, we're gonna have to generate it. Really, it has to be strategy. We need strategy, right, But it's not just been strategy that's moved us forward. It's been spirit. It's been strategy in the spirit, the spirit and the ancestors, the spirit of resistance, the spirit of freedom, the spirit of love like loving each other when we haven't had anything else, when we didn't have money, when we didn't have land, when we didn't have kind of the politics, what we had is we had this sense of self and the love of each other that would actually take us through. And so for us with Voters Matter, we wanted to create an organization that was unapologetic about being black. Right we ride around in a big bus, a fifty eight foot bus and say we're in the blackest bus in America. We wanted to own and affirm that and not just say that we're participating in the election because we're really not an election group.
Speaker 6: We're a power building group.
Speaker 8: We're real clear that all the work that we're doing is really about how do we build power for black folks. And when people are talking about voting, yes, voting is one key, you know, and is a very very powerful tool, but it's also a space of when you own your agency. There's something about voting that's really about owning your agency that if a decision is being made about me and mine, I need to be a part of that process. Right that that's fundamentally you know, And also we've got to have this space around. When people are actually hurting and harming our communities, there has to be a consequence. So you can't continue to serve in the office and hurt and harm us. We've got to send a message loud and clear like this, this ain't going down like that, right. But also to create space, create space if there's nothing else for harm reduction, to reduce the harm happening to us, to actually work collectively together and really move towards a vision, a collective vision. So that's the work that we do and that's why we do it. You know, if you want to the three things, I call it three ms. The three things we do is money, it's movement building.
Speaker 6: And it's message.
Speaker 8: In the last seven years, we've really been blessed. One of the things that we always would sit around and were like, how could we invest in black communities. We've invested over forty I think as of now, I think it's over forty one million dollar and black leg grassroot groups in the last six years.
Speaker 7: In the last six years to do power building.
Speaker 8: That's everything from reparations, organizing around reparations, to organizing around police accountability, to actually do an election work, to referendums. At the end of the day, how black communities define.
Speaker 6: What power building is for them.
Speaker 8: We want to be in alignment with them and support them around that. In addition that, we also know that the message matters. That's why I'm so happy you all are doing this podcast. We need black media, We need places like this. I want if I had all the money in the world right when I hear the lottery, I promise y'all that my first investment is going to be this podcast right there right because the world needs to hear your voices. You all have clarity, and I'm just really really grateful to be in relationship with you.
Speaker 9: You know what.
Speaker 4: I just first of all, everything you said cosan, love, love, love, that whole investment piece at the end, they're truth.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I have to tell you I am in all of your mission vision and the fact that you're defining yourself outside of any election cycle. So often donors and media and others like to put organizing in the black community and the bucket of election turnout and what's happening with the black vote and the da da da da dad, and you're saying, no, no, no, that's not the box that we're We're not in an anty box. And what I have to say as a person who had run for office and have gone into communities where we have felt really disempowered, really not invested in, really not seeing it's groups and efforts like yours who were there before the election after the election, putting pieces back together and renewing in people a belief a system that they're not some commodity to be traded on, but rather we're an investment to be made. We are a community that gives, we feel, we love, we breathe, we have disappointments, we have ups, we have downs. And what you're doing is you're helping. You're helping to give that greater credibility, and hopefully what it will do is recruit greater investment in our community that is there outside of anybody's election cycle. Because if we do that work and people start to believe that that's how change gets created, that this is an element of the change that we're trying to see, then I have to believe that we won't need the investment of these short term voter registration turn out projects. Why, because the work will be there three sixty five and I'm just curious before we go to our other bad age so over year is that how are you experiencing the donor class as it relates to investing in that kind.
Speaker 8: Of move largely white male donor for very part of what we actually decided that when we started the organization, and I just want to be honest, Cliff and I we always tell the story we quit our jobs and we started the organization. We had the idea that we wanted to create. The name is actually Black Voters Matter Fund. We were very intentional from the beginning that has organizers for multiple decades. That part of the challenge we had sometimes when there was an election or there wasn't there was an election happening, but if the candidate than not invest in the campaign or a party, there were no resources.
Speaker 6: But it mattered, it mattered who.
Speaker 8: Was found a commissioner, it mattered who the sheriff was, but there were no resources available if the party or a candidate wasn't putting in there. And we were like, our power should not be tied into whether a candidate believes that that is important enough. We've got to find a way that the candidate that we're running for, the candidate that we're doing our work for the candidate that is ongoing is black power. We wanted to be very intentional about being black. That's what our colors are. Our colors ain't red, white, and blue. I know that this is pretty around, is pretty right, but our colors are red, black.
Speaker 3: And green.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 8: That we wanted to literally lift up and have a foundation around black liberation and be unapologetic with it. And so that our alignment wasn't with a political party or political candidate. Our alignment was really around how do we help black folks as they define build power in their local communities. And if we do that enough and we're connecting that enough and we get black folks just to believe in their own power just that point black period. If black people believe in our own power, what we have shown is we will change this nation.
Speaker 6: We have everything that we have stood in.
Speaker 8: The space of our power, even whether whether we had the majority of numbers or not, right, we have created change.
Speaker 6: And so that's what we wanted to literally build off the rich.
Speaker 8: History of that, the real history of struggle, a spirit, a strategy, and putting those things together really to advance not just black liberation for us because I actually fundamentally believe that all people will actually benefit from black liberation. If you lift up those communities that are on the fringes, those communities that have been marginalized, then it has always made life better for all of us. We black folks fight for housing, our white kind of parts. Everybody been in the fits from housing. So that's what our venson is, that's our dream, and we're just really grateful to be in service of the ancestors. We are grateful to be in service of our people. We are grateful to go around and say in this space right now, baby be clear, bowl, beautiful and black, to get.
Speaker 3: On the road with you.
Speaker 5: We have some work to do, including always building black power and speaking of red, black and green.
Speaker 3: Look at them over here. Cunningham, activist, writer and a friend of ours. We are part of a machete's crew. Were waiting for one more to join us, she said, Brittany, we are so thrilled for you to be here.
Speaker 1: You're an activists out of Missouri. You also served on a council or the President Barack Obama. You do a lot of social commentating, but also a lot of work on the ground.
Speaker 3: Still.
Speaker 1: Preaching, and hell a lot of preaching, and she and Latasha both do some amazing singing.
Speaker 3: But she's also as a one said a Machety member. So thank you for being here.
Speaker 11: But you know, I thought I'm a little bit mad because I love you all so much. But the agreement was that if I was going to do Native Lampire.
Speaker 3: I could not speak after Latasha. The word has been misinformation.
Speaker 11: Benediction has been prayed, the collection play has been passed right everybody out in the vestibule.
Speaker 1: Now it's the letter.
Speaker 3: Every time, every time she delivers a sermon.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm really happy you're joining us on separate because one I just love when we all get to be together as our sister circle. We were in Mexico together a few weeks. You can check some of our thirst traps if you like.
Speaker 9: But.
Speaker 6: Specific for.
Speaker 4: Yourself, thank you.
Speaker 3: I try to stand the part.
Speaker 1: What is the task for people watching at home right now? Because I think you know, I was just talking to one of the mayors earlier saying this was a the plot line here was so unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It rivals a Tyler Perry plot. This we're in a movie.
Speaker 1: I said, this is ridiculous. It's just not believable. But yet here we are when the country turn like that. It wasn't even a month ago that Vice President Harris is now our nominee.
Speaker 3: So for all the people who were a bit.
Speaker 1: Apathetic, who are now excited and hopeful, what beyond that hope and excitement do people need to be doing right now to make this a decisive win.
Speaker 3: I love this question because it's action oriented.
Speaker 11: And Natasha and I were together last night having a conversation about organizing with some folks.
Speaker 3: Listen, you're let's be honest about it.
Speaker 5: Message, but don't worry. But they did the same thing. They watched the space together. You really feel like I'm in the middle.
Speaker 3: You as an amattle girl, and you the.
Speaker 6: Youngest, so you know you already Kitchen, I do it.
Speaker 11: Can we talk about that at some point because nobody acknowledges that, but it's true. I get a real rough But this is the right question, right because we often are talking about a lot of the things that we are dealing with, the trauma that we endure, the ways we've had to survive and be creative and innovative, and yet we often don't have the time left to be imaginative, to be strategic to actually dream up the world that we deserve and say, let's plan backwards from it and figure out how we get there together, because it's not freedom if we don't get there together.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 11: So, I really think that this question about action is so important. But the action starts within. You actually have to begin to take the time to expand your imagination. Like sit outside for five minutes, stare at the sky and say, like, if I'm truly going to be my ancestor's wildest dreams, then how wild can my dreams get? Because there are a lot of folks for whom this week and the culmination of it, and the nomination of Vice President Harris to the ticket will be their wildest dreams.
Speaker 3: But guess what we hear?
Speaker 11: Yea, So now you've got to go dream bigger. Now we have to go id eight further. Now we have to go expand. So I think that that's the first thing we do. The second thing that we do, in particular, is we have honest conversations with one another. There is a tendency in our community to say go vote because I said so, yeah, to say go vote because I literally has watched somebody say I'll put you over my knee and spank you, And I was like, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think you should be telegrown people that a.
Speaker 11: But also like, when is the last time somebody ever condescended you into anything that's right? Like when somebody said to you when you were an actual child people, As an actual child.
Speaker 3: You rebella. So what we're going to do as an adult? Exactly?
Speaker 11: There is a reason why people are feeling squeezed out. There is a reason why folks are saying, well, you told me four years ago is the most important election in my life time, and now you're telling me again you said that eight years ago, So how is it the most important every time?
Speaker 6: I thought that was last time?
Speaker 3: Exactly Exactly.
Speaker 11: So we have to acknowledge where people are and then encourage them, as Latasha has been saying, to actually dig deep and reach into our own power.
Speaker 3: I'm not a person who likes to leave any tool or power on the table.
Speaker 11: Like if I'm trying to get something done for my son, for y'all nephew, then I'm gonna go come on and back to make it happen. Why would I not do that for my people? Why would I not vote and protest. Why would I not protest and strategize. Why would I not strategize and use content and media like I'm not leaving nothing on the table for our freedom.
Speaker 3: I refuse to do that.
Speaker 11: And that's the kind of activity that we have to decide to be engaged in every single day.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 5: I just want to tell y'all real quick, while the show's going on. This is actually one of my favorite parts of the Democratic National Convention. But it's real special today. The roll call is happening right now.
Speaker 12: I love it.
Speaker 5: And Ritt, while you were talking about imagination, you saw Wes Moore holding Mike like a hip hop artist.
Speaker 3: Governor, No, it was.
Speaker 5: Dope Governor Wes Moore, our black governor from from Maryland, but our black governor because we ain't got enough, okay, saying that Maryland is committing its votes to Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: What a historic moment.
Speaker 5: You talk about imagination all the time, You talk about it all the time. They're also holding everybody, including our dear sister Aaron, So talk about imagination that is.
Speaker 1: But can we just take a moment to acknowledge that though yes, said this historic candidate at the first black woman president or the president Alex because I speaking into existence Holidasha you, I hope you don't mind me violating our confidentiality agreement and.
Speaker 6: Talking about.
Speaker 1: Yes o Latasha, what about the hell is fine? But Natasha, we were all at the Machete group chat. We were in there and we talked eight thousands. Have you missed the group chat for an hour? You come back in a SI.
Speaker 3: This is worth violating. And she on the stage with three when we were talking about.
Speaker 1: The chances for vice president here and Latasha wrote this, I'm like this is going in my book. It was a dissertation where Latasha was saying, essentially, we are spiritual beings having a human experience and it's just time. There was no other option that it is time the work that black women have done. And you I can't echo your words as beautifully and poetically and lyrically as you do, but I've read that and got teary. I because there is no other option other than for this to happen. We talk about the dream and the hope of the slave, and some would argue the dream and the hope of the enslaves was not to succeed here in America, but to go home, back to our roots. And here we have a convergence, a confluence of all of that happening. We have gone to the motherland together and now we have this bridge of the enslaved everywhere. She is the daughter of immigrants. Yes, people don't realize that the enslaved were also in Jamaica.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: We are reaching across continents, We are reaching across nations and leading the way here in America.
Speaker 11: And I'm just I have goosebumps so for for what gives you because I share that spirit with you, what gives you that.
Speaker 1: Self assured, unshaken faith that the wind is at our back.
Speaker 3: Now this is going to.
Speaker 7: Happen because we're here, like and I need people to sit in it.
Speaker 4: We are here.
Speaker 8: We are literally the children, the great great great grandchildren of those who they're they were so our families, our ancestors were so dehumanized, they weren't even considered full human beings, right that to be able to read right here we are literally running colleges, creating colleges, establishing them.
Speaker 6: Were her hair.
Speaker 4: Come hair?
Speaker 3: Okay, no, no, no, that's.
Speaker 7: That's already.
Speaker 1: By two additional machete members. Part of our Machete group chat. We have the amazing Carrie Champion.
Speaker 3: You all know Ferry Champion. She has done amazing work in media, in sports.
Speaker 1: She's constantly calling me asked me to explain something sports related to her. It's exhausting, but she is amazing. You've seen Carrie everywhere. I call her the cat Walk Assassin. You can see why and be my sister in journalism. Aaron Haynes, I know you all see her, and so many people tell me how much they enjoy Aaron Haynes, who is the face of the nineteenth Please check out her newsletter in that platform. But so many people Aaron always tell me how amazed think you are on television, And I was telling Angela on the way here. I'm like, they don't even know the real Errand because as great as she is on.
Speaker 3: MSN at.
Speaker 11: The swats air, she is the wittiest and funniest in our group, but also just so smart. Your scope on things so it is.
Speaker 3: I just feel like this is a dream, wrong call, just a technical thing. Who are you brand me and carrying that you can lift up your little you're sharing. I'm so sorry my fickness is pushing you out.
Speaker 6: You're just one.
Speaker 3: You don't have to tell people that let's start.
Speaker 1: Let's start with Aaron and will work our way down Aaron. As as a journalist, you take a difference of things. What what does this moment mean for you? Because I feel like some people enter this space as a journalist, some people enter this space as a woman, some people enter this space as a black person.
Speaker 3: Where are you right now?
Speaker 6: In what order?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I mean, look, you got to unmute. Listen to black women.
Speaker 6: I'm speaking.
Speaker 3: I'm speaking exactly from freaking to the d n C.
Speaker 10: Here.
Speaker 9: Here we go.
Speaker 3: He's not kidding.
Speaker 13: I mean, listen, I'm all of those things obviously at once. I bring all those lived identities to who I am as a journalist. Don't apologize for that, but you know, I really thought about, you know, boarding my plane in Chicago on Sunday. Sunday was the one hundred and fourth anniversary of the nineteenth Amendment, which is the amendment for which my newsroom is named. Uh an amendment which guaranteed the right for some but not all, women.
Speaker 6: The right to vote.
Speaker 13: Hello, we had to fight twice as hard or even longer before we had our full access to the franchise. We're still fighting, our access to this democracy still being challenged. You see that we could have seen that this week coming into this convention, right, which could have been a contested convention, open convention. That's not what we're seeing here. We are seeing a Democratic party that is unified behind a black woman who could become the first woman president of the United States. That is not a moment that we necessarily saw coming when we started the nineteenth four almost five years ago. Literally the nineteen started after the twenty sixteen election, when we saw these tired tropes around electability, around readiness, around ambition, and we knew that there was a different way to talk about women, to talk about our leadership, to talk about gender and our politics in this country, in the emerging small de democracy that you talked about much, Tiffany, that you continue to talk about. So yeah, I mean, I come to a convention where the diversity that I'm seeing in the arena is reflected on stage as well as in the audience. That's not something that I saw just a month ago at the Republican National Convention in Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: That is striking to me.
Speaker 13: I think we know it's real, but to see it happening to see it in reality, a true representative democracy really in this arena, and abortion, which we knew was on the ballot, was on stage last night. That's still remarkable to think about. So, I mean, I don't know, as a journalist, this is just a remarkable moment to cover as a black woman. I am thinking about everybody from Shirley Chisholm to Jesse Jackson to I mean, just so many people that paved the way for this moment to be possible. Mignon Moore, Donna Brazil, Lea Daughtry, Yolanda Carro, I mean all just front and center in this moment. They helped to manifest the moment which we now find ourselves. And as a journalist, I mean, I can't not mention them in this conversation. So yeah, there's a lot there. And obviously the Nineteenth is feeling pretty good about, you know, the idea that we had four years ago, because it's all on full display this week.
Speaker 1: And your combridge is constantly beautiful.
Speaker 5: God also the host of the Amendment podcast, which we didn't say, And speaking of podcast hosts, we also have.
Speaker 3: Carrie Chamber a podcast hosts.
Speaker 5: The podcast host, but we also have Carrie Champion here. What I love about you being here, Carrie is this isn't something where you had to come.
Speaker 3: You felt compelled to come.
Speaker 5: I know you have that headset on, but if you don't mind picking up that mike, we love to talk to you about what.
Speaker 3: Made you want to be here. And Andrew Gillham, just because the women are occupied with six of these seats, I need a way in here, a double.
Speaker 14: Dutch first, second, first, first and foremost, thank you guys for having me. I was just with I'm standing I just want to talk about my machetes for a minute. I'm standing out front. I'm waiting for someone to bring me a cidential and who do I see just walk up on me and it was like, no, I got you follow me, I have a pass. We so are in sync with one another. Of all the people that I could see standing in front of the United Center, Aaron walks up on me and gives me of all the people, and it was just like, I love you so much. I love this, I love the sisterhood.
Speaker 4: I love what you all are doing.
Speaker 14: You all know that, Andrew, I love you, and I love I love Britt because she's letting one of my butt.
Speaker 4: Cheeks just come to.
Speaker 14: It is yet holding on. This is the workout for the day. So I am a CNN contributor, but I did not have to come. But I was like, if I missed this moment, I miss I miss Barock's moment. But if I missed this moment, this to me felt so substantial and so bigger than us. And I felt like this appointment in which Kamala Harris has in this moment felt divine. It is a testimony to everything can happen in a in a blink of any of overnight. My God is so real, and so I was able to witness what happened to this woman three, four or five months ago. Nobody could have told me this is where we would be, And in an instant, I am sitting here and I'm all like, this is a testimony to those who believe and who have chosen. So what's meant for you is meant for you, and no one can take it away from you. And I'm watching in real time, and so I had to be here because I live that. I believe that we all do. We've been in these moments and it's something special in my world.
Speaker 4: Of sports.
Speaker 14: As we all know, I said this, it's not an accident where you have these two entities where women's athletics is taken off in a way in which we have never seen before. And then when we look at women in the world fighting, and we're saying, and I've said this before, not on my damn watch, you want to take away these things bit by bit. You played your hand, you over played your hand. And now we are here and we are righteous, and we are taking back what is ours. There is this idea in sports that everyone needs a good a good story, a good rivalry story, always needs a really good person, and they need the foil, right, they need a good athlete and they need a foil. But in this instance, women, black women are the foil. We are taking it and we're taking it back. You thought you were the superhero, but the story is ours. And I am so grateful to be here. And I'm more excited because I thought I was coming on tomorrow, but since you guys have me on to day, I'm just hanging out but checking off.
Speaker 5: Well, we are so grateful, y'all. We promise, y'all, we need it. Only about five minutes of your time, so We're gonna let y'all head on out. Natasha got people.
Speaker 3: To seeing things to do. We got some other guests coming up. But we are so so grateful for you. Yes, you're welcome.
Speaker 4: Let me put eyes on you all. It is really really really beautiful fold to see this. Uh, this sisterhood, This sisterhood, y'all have created a monkst incredible black women who are doing it big, doing it bad. Aeron, so proud for you of you.
Speaker 5: No take Edie is joining us as Aaron is the party. Joe take a Edie is the founder of Win with Black Women and as she is also as she hugs Aaron, coming up here, come sit by me.
Speaker 3: Joe comes in by me.
Speaker 5: Joe, I know that Andrew, Andrew got some things to say. He got some reflections from last time too, So I want you to bring in Joe take. As she puts her headphones on.
Speaker 10: Win.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 4: Everybody around the globe probably by now knows who you are, given the fact that Joe take it on that what. Four weeks ago, decided that she was going to host UH the welcoming fundraiser for Kamala Harris as she was basically named endorsed by Joe Biden on that Sunday, that faithful Sunday, when he decided he would no longer pursued the Democratic nomination for re election to the presidency. And then everybody started hearing about this Black Women's Call that was going to take place, that almost near forty that had been taking place, but we didn't know it right. The rest of the world didn't know what you had envisioned and created four years prior. And so we got invited into this space, just very briefly to get a glimpse at the kind of power that you have been manifesting for four years with this group, made very evident and obvious for anyone to see when y'all pulled forty thousand women together on a phone call, Black women the initial call. Then we had black men, and we had the white sisters, and then we had what do we bros? What do we call the white guys? So I'm understating the power of it, your taker, But I'd love for you to want just vision back to four years ago and what you thought about what you envisioned, and men bring us forward to like how did all these calls come together?
Speaker 1: Can I tell you, Joe Teka our comments, and we can probably see people are saying, I am I was one of the.
Speaker 3: Forty four thousand. So there are people who are so fighted.
Speaker 15: Sorry good, yeah, yeah, you know, I think in order to go back four years, we probably have to go back sixty years, okay, right, because when with black women was born out of the lineage of the work, the struggle, the fight of black women who came before us that poured into the next generation of Black women, who poured into the next generation of Black women, who poured into the next generation, the colored girls.
Speaker 16: Because four years ago, we all as.
Speaker 15: Black women were collectively outraged by the narrative, the sexism and the racism that had entered the conversation as it related to who was going to be vice president. Every single capable woman black woman that was being named was facing racist, sexist, ad hominal attacks, and we as black women were all outrage.
Speaker 16: I picked up the phone. I called Mignon Moore.
Speaker 15: Before I had called Mignon, I had saw a Facebook video by Bishop Leodatri and I called Mignon. I said, Mignyon, what are y'all gonna do? Meaning the Colored girls? Mignon said, what are y'all gonna do? She meant, what are you, Tiffany, Angela, Brittany, Latasha, Shavon, all of us, what are we gonna do? And so it took me twenty minutes to sit there and gather myself. After I got gathered by Mignon Moore, and I put out an email and I send that email to sixty five sister friends from every sector that I had had the opportunity to work, of which two of those sister friends are.
Speaker 16: Sitting right here on the stage, Angela Rai.
Speaker 15: And Tiffany Cross. And the first person to reply back to that email, I believe was Yolanda Carraway and then Donna Brazil. So it's something about the colored girls who were mentored by doctor Dorothy Irene Hyatt, who was mentored by A Sicily Tyson. And so you think about that night, the first night August second, I believe August first, that we came together. It was ninety of us and we said, right then, not on our watch, they will not speak on black women in this way. And then we went on to say that there needed to be a black woman at the top of the ticket, and we said it's time. But what we also said that we were going to continue to do the work. And I think the important part of it is that black women have always done the work when no one was looking. Always and when with black women over the last four years, we would not be who we are today or then had it not been for women that paid the way or mentored us to be in position to have the courage and conviction to.
Speaker 16: Continue the work. And that has been so important.
Speaker 15: And over the last four years it's been sisters like Tiffany and Angela to say yes, who say like, we're not just in the political arena with women, with black women. We have fought for black women anytime racism is sexism has been hurled their way, whether or not it's a sister that is, you know, unlawfully detained in a Russian prison and that we need to lift our voices collectively and break our home, or if they're putting racist attacks against a young, beautiful black woman who is the Little Mermaid. We said we're gonna buy out one hundred theaters, and so that's the work that we've been doing. So on July twenty first, our meeting was already set. Black Women was already gonna meet. We just needed to shift the agenda, and I think that's the importance. All we had to do was shift the agenda. The meeting was already set. Sisters caught on fire. And it's important to know. We had forty four thousand on zoom. Bless it be a black woman, because our zoom opened up at ten pm that night and that's.
Speaker 16: Where we grew.
Speaker 15: But we had fift the thousand other black women. There were thirty thousand in clubhouse. There were ten thousand on a conference call line. And that just shows that black women would figure out what we need to do anywhere anyhow. And the last thing that I would say is that that fundraising link Star Jones dropped that fundraising link at eleven twenty pm.
Speaker 16: Wow, and by one a m. We had raised one point six million dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: You bad know that we made.
Speaker 3: We are bad black women.
Speaker 4: But I just want to exclamation mark this point, which was the meeting was already said. We just had to pivot the agenda, y'all. The other way to say that is when you when you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.
Speaker 15: Speaking of that, my President President ready to say we've been joined.
Speaker 17: The President, welcome the delta Sigma Theater president, Miss Elsie Cook Holmes, who is one of the forty four thousand and that that j'll take us called upon it and including one of the original sixty.
Speaker 3: So we wanted to be here.
Speaker 5: I thought that it was really important, y'all know, I'm about to say some a little reckless. It was really important for people that show colors and signs to know that colors and signs have united. They have united behind at Aka Nominee and I love to see it. I got to spend some time with you a President Homes at the mid Western Regional Conference at Delta, and to watch how many of you are are supporting Kamala Hairs without reservation, which is beautiful to see.
Speaker 18: I will tell you we are excited and this is a moment of unity. This is a moment of unity. To your point, regardless of what colors you wear, one of our divine nine sisters is a candidate for the United States President, and so it is so awesome. We certainly and Delta are pleased and proud that she is following the footsteps of our sorrow Shirley Chisholm, who in nineteen seventy two broke ground at a time when she really had to bring her.
Speaker 6: Own chair to have that seat at the table.
Speaker 18: But look where we are fifty two years later, and it shouldn't have taken fifty two years, but we are here and we are meeting the moment collectively. Joe Taka has done amazing work since twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: But what started with such a few has.
Speaker 18: Grown to a movement and I think that everyone is following in those footsteps. And we from a D nine perspective, Delta Sigma Theta has been doing this work a long time. All of our organizations have and we know what's going to take all of us, and we are all in love.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of people in the comments and welcome and thank you for being here. With that, a lot of people are asking Joe take like how did you do this so quickly? And you just explained this work, what's happening? You have been in this in four years, and so I think it's so important to note for people.
Speaker 3: Some people get in this for the glory. Some people get in this to tell a story. Some people get in this.
Speaker 1: To hop on a hashtag and build a plat form and not a community. You were an organizer, you were part of the NAACP at staff. You and I have known each other for a long time. You know what I always say about you, and I can't pass this opportunity to say, I think Joe take is one of the most beautiful people y'all. I'm so her cheekbones and I think one of the most Yeah, well, people are people are noticing, people are noticing. And you also what people may not know about you. You have an amazing singing voice. Just you bless us with your melodic tombre of your voice all the time.
Speaker 3: But if you could speak to the people who.
Speaker 1: Who maybe hop on that hashtag activism and just press them to do a little more, especially at this moment, in this time for people. If I was live during the Civil rights movement, I would whatever you're doing now is what you would have been doing.
Speaker 3: So what's your piece of advice for them?
Speaker 16: You know, my advice is that movement work is not like a microwave.
Speaker 15: We we can't just pop it in the microwave like you do a bag of popcorn and just pop your way to freedom and to a movement. The work is consistent, Often, the work is hard, and the work often happens most importantly when no one is looking.
Speaker 16: And I think that is the part that in this moment right now.
Speaker 15: Yes we can use a hashtag, but we actually have to put boots on the ground.
Speaker 16: We actually have to talk to voters.
Speaker 15: We cannot just assume that we're going to win this election on zoom. Yes we can meet on zoom, but we actually got to get on doors. We got to get in community. We have to meet people where they are, and we have to meet people everywhere. That is what it is going to take to win this election. That is how movements have always been won. It's consistency. It's consistency, and it happens over time. It's never overnight. It's never overnight. Yes, people may find out about you overnight, but the work is never overnight. And that's what it's gonna take for us in this next you know.
Speaker 19: And beyond that you've already shown up, and beyond seventy seven, yes speaking of seventy seven, so so matter presid I'm gonna ask you to just open up the window a little bit into the kind of incredible organizing that members of D nine organizations I'm.
Speaker 4: Very familiar, specifically with with Delta's my unfortunate to be married to one my sisters won my auntie one the reds all around, Yes, yes, highly influenced by them. And what I know is that whether there's a black woman at the top of the ticket in a in a race or not, you all have a deeply invested interest in ensuring that our community stays awake and stays organized. I'd like to hear you if you would, if it's possible to just illuminate for us, how what kind of ways in which should people expect to see deltas at the alumni alumni level as well as on community uh and university campuses. How can we andnticipation seeing them organized? If y'all listening and seeing and y'all haven't heard the news, I'm sure y'all already heard from your your present around how y'all organized it. But tell the rest of us what can we expect to see when the full breath, weight and scope of your membership gets to work around activating voter registration and turnout.
Speaker 6: Absolutely so, first of all, to your point, we are not new to this.
Speaker 18: We are truly true to this, and we have been since nineteen thirteen when we fought for women's suffrage at the time that black folks could not.
Speaker 6: Could not vote.
Speaker 18: But fast forward to now, we are educating voters, We're mobilizing voters. We're making sure that voters are registered, that they check their registration status so that they won't be surprised when they go to the polls to cast their balots. We're making sure that the vote is protected and doing that through a number of ways. We have trained our members throughout our regional conference cycles this summer, and we have additional ways to train our members as well as the community.
Speaker 6: And we're brought in that to the Divine nine not only on.
Speaker 18: Election registration, education and mobilization, but that all important voter protection amassing lawyers, pole watchers, pole monitors, making sure that we have that army of individuals who can be prepared to.
Speaker 6: Make sure that our vote is protected.
Speaker 18: And we've taken this step further in Delta in terms of three lawsuits to make sure that there's over thirty states have passed laws that make it more difficult instead of easier, to vote.
Speaker 6: And so as a result of that in Georgia.
Speaker 18: In Texas into as a coplaintive into two lawsuits with LDF and we're just entering in one in Mississippi, and it's around fighting the law that make it more difficult to vote to try to roll back those laws. And we're being proactive in other states as well, because it's absolutely critical that we know that you.
Speaker 3: Are have so much to do and we're so grateful that you are have joined us.
Speaker 5: And before we have you on step off, I just want to make sure you have the opportunity to say hello to our good.
Speaker 3: Friend, Congresswoman Ayana Presley of the amazing I love you, great to see you, and we love you. Joe Tak.
Speaker 16: Thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 15: Before I go, I do want to say one thing, and it's so important, and I want to be on the record saying this. People talk about the forty four thousand, the extra fifty thousand that we had elsewhere, they talk about women with black women, But it's important to note that that right after that call, the very next day, the very next day, who had our backs black men, black men, And that's so important. And now there's been hundreds and hundreds of zoom and zooms all over, but it's so important. People try to often defide us as a people that black women winning with black women means that we can't win with black men. But we are winning together as people, and I feel like we're more united than we ever have been. And I think in this moment, we think about Shirley Chisholm, and we think about how she said, if they don't give you a seat at.
Speaker 16: The table, bring a folding share.
Speaker 15: But what I dare say is that in this moment right now, black people are leading, Black women are leading, and we are building a new table and we're making sure everybody has.
Speaker 3: A seat at the table.
Speaker 18: We're doing that from a D nine perspective as well, all across. So we've got five fraternities focus heavily on this work, the fource sororities focused heavily on this work, partnering with Joe Taker, partnering with n C and W broad strategies to make sure that we are all in together. And our hashtag is D nine Stronger Together, because we know it's going to take every single one of us to make sure that we bring this home, have.
Speaker 5: A seat at our table, and we will see y'all soon. We can't wait to see y'all seventy seven.
Speaker 3: Days and up until then, it's good y'all. Welcome home to our congress Woman.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We're joined now by Congressman Ayana Pressley. She is the first black woman to represent Boston in the House of Representatives. So another historic candidate during this time that we are making history here at the DNC. I have to we love you, Joe Taco. We thank you, Madam President. I have to tell you, guys, when you saw me the last time we were together on set, I was broadcasting from Martha's vineyard and I camped out at the congress Woman's home every day. I was trying to get Angela to come up there with me and Andrew. So at some point we will do a podcast, we hope, and from the Congressman. But we're so happy to have you. But honestly, because you yourself were a historic candidate, you took the office that belonged to Congress on the shurelytism in Congress. What does this moment mean to you to watch another black woman ascend to the highest heights of the United States government?
Speaker 6: All right, I'm feeling this on so many levels.
Speaker 20: So first and foremost, actually, the dress that I'm wearing was is a custom piece inspired by a Shirley Chishlm dress. Wow. And so even though it is quite warm, that is why I'm wearing it in this full circle moment. And also though I have the humbling honor of being the congresswoman representing the mass Chists seventh which includes the city of Boston, as the first woman of color, black woman, well personal color period to represent the comonwealth in the House. But a lot of people don't know Chicago is the city that raised me. So it is full circle in every way. And it is I won't call it a surreal experience because I think that denies us that it's real.
Speaker 3: It is attainable.
Speaker 20: So it is heady to be on the precipice of this historic moment when black women have been the backbone of the Democratic Party, have been at the front line of ushering in every great movement throughout history.
Speaker 3: For us to take our.
Speaker 20: Rightful place at the top of this ticket, uh, it is. It is long overdue. And everyone just keeps saying how joyful they feel, how hopeful they feel, and yeah, it's an incredible experience. And then to be here with you all, yes, yes, So it's like welcome home time too.
Speaker 4: Since street. We jumped off text like, hey, I got you. That was amazing, that was awesome. The worst thing that I didn't respond after, you know, but.
Speaker 20: Also shout out to Boston because your theme song, you know, one of the many incredible creatives and we have the city of Boston.
Speaker 3: We are actually being joined and well, he's handshaking.
Speaker 5: I don't know if he's coming up right now, the colleague, Yes, your colleague, Congressman Hakim Jeffries, who is the Democratic leader in the House.
Speaker 6: I think he is.
Speaker 20: He walking, he's here because we have to get people to understand that we're going to do everything to ensure that Kamala Harris is Madam President.
Speaker 3: But she has got to have a Democratic.
Speaker 6: Majority in the House.
Speaker 20: We have to grow our numbers in the Senate in order to advance this agenda for more just America of freedom and that's about the future. So it's so important that the Democrats get that gavel back and that a King Jeffries is our speaker to fully advance this agenda. Kamala can do it alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just y'all have y'all Democrats have been incredible the way y'all have held the line. The Republicans couldn't get together anyway these last couple of months that they've been in charge. But I'm curious to know, is there give us the prognosis on whether or not you think you all will have the opportunity to win back the House where we're.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely so, I'm you know.
Speaker 20: A national surrogate for the Vice President was recently in Pennsylvania, critical battleground state, and I was so.
Speaker 3: Encouraged by what I saw there.
Speaker 20: First of all, knocking doors many Republicans that said they do plan to vote for Kamala. Secondly, in that eighteen to thirty five demographic, again a constituency that had been there was a huge enthusiasm gap that no longer exists. People said, I just feel again more hopeful Kamala's future focused, and I feel that I'm a part of something important. Women from every age and walk of life, and this is the thing that black women do uniquely. We want to acknowledge the power of this representation. It is transformative and it is meaningful. But everyone sees themselves reflected in Black women. So because we live in intersectionality, her story is the story of multitudes, and so it is a deeply re is it vision for our countries, centering the humanity and dignity of every person of every family model, in contrast to institutionalized Trumpism in Project twenty twenty five, which will cause harm to everyone who calls this country home. Control every aspect of your life from your bedroom to your womb, dismantle the federal government and our democracy as we know it. In contrast to Kamala Harris and Tim Walls, who are about your freedoms, you know, preserving your freedoms, expanding your freedoms, and about the future. So I think with this economic agenda they've just rolled out, they show that they have not forgotten the plot. They see the people, and they want to mitigate the harm and the struggles of everyday people. But they also want to meet you at your aspiration. And that's the joy part. That is the joy part. Every great movement requires three things imagination, strategy, and stamina. And I see all of that being animated in real time, and we are going to get her across that finish line and into the Oval Office.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: We absolutely love it. Hire somebody, We love you. We thank you so much for joining us. We know you got to keep running and then listen history marriage.
Speaker 21: I want you all to know this is one of the baddest women serving in the United States House of Representative, one of my favorites.
Speaker 10: She holds it.
Speaker 21: Down district for the Commonwealth, for the nation, and it's honor for me just to be able to serve with, get to know and be friends with the great.
Speaker 20: So I am so grateful for your leadership and thank you for being a family. You appreciate it. You know Boston loves a king because he has some k Verdian roots. Come on back, Rose on.
Speaker 3: The ground, Well we are. I'm thrilled.
Speaker 5: First of all, thank you so much for being here with us today. We know that your team has literally been like she got five minutes. You know you got a run.
Speaker 3: We thank you and it's my hunter too to be able.
Speaker 5: As Anna said Frint family, Haqim Jeffries has been family from I'd say day zero, I'm irin Andrew, you're not on mute in the middle of my intro, thank you. Hakim Jeffries came in to see us when he was coming into Congress, and one of my favorite moments was as a staff person him just being like, Okay, what do I need to do.
Speaker 3: Who do I need to know?
Speaker 5: And because of his genuine intellectual curiosity, I know. I was like, this dude is going to be speaker, and we are on the eve of that dream. And it's really knowing that that will come to pass. I want to know, in the middle of your history making journey now as Democratic leader in the House.
Speaker 3: And where we are today, how does it feel.
Speaker 21: Well, Azela is great to be with you, I could say here in Chicago, of course, this amazing team, Uh, your heir in Chicago. It's joyful, it's aspirational. Uh, it's you find, it's electrifying. But we also know that there's a mission ahead of us over the next few months, and the other side can be diabolical. Yeah, and so we you know, we're here to thank President Biden, of course for his work he's passed the torch, to celebrate and elevate Kamala Harris and Tim Walls, but then to make sure that we're doing the work necessary so that they're successful in November, that we do take back the gavels in the United States House, and that we do what's necessary to.
Speaker 10: Hold the Senate.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's so important. It's going to be a lot of people who will lose their minds.
Speaker 1: Congressman, and we when we have a black woman president, a black House speaker, black governors elected, more black mayors elected, and it really speaks to our ancestors built this country for free. That's a phrase I came up with myself. Originally.
Speaker 3: She saw that for me to see Angelus is all the time.
Speaker 1: And to finally see our work, the fruits of our labor come together at this moment. A lot of people, I don't think necessarily understands the role of the Speaker of the House, because that is a title that you are about to assume. Because we speak things into existence on.
Speaker 3: This podcast, I can what is the role of the House Speaker?
Speaker 21: Well, you know, I'll say that it's been an honor to stand on the shoulders of Nancy Pelosi, Senny Hory, and Jim Clyburn, you know who were legendary leaders. Of course, Nancy Pelosi as the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, she'll go down in history, we believe is the greatest speaker of all time, along with you know Stenny who did his thing, and of course the great legendary Jim Clyburn and they all collectively actually made the decision to pass the torch to the next generation of Democrats in the House last year, and as a result, Petere Aguilar, Catherine Clark and myself now is House Democratic Leader. The role of Speaker, of course done incredibly well, you know by Nancy Pelosi, really is a constitutional officer in the House of Representatives who presides over the House, determines the agenda, make sure that legislation moves through the House actually can get out of the House and hopefully make it through the Senate and become law. And also, depending on which party the Speaker is a member of at that given point in time, is also responsible for making sure politically, you know, things go right and that you're interacting with the other branches of government, you know, particularly the President, the Vice President, as well as the Senate.
Speaker 3: It's a crucial role. I just want to give a quick shout out before I toss it to Andrew.
Speaker 1: I know your wonderful, amazing intellectual brother, Hassan Jeffries, doctor Hassan Jeffries. I met Hassan and when I met hassign over in the nineties, over twenty years ago, you were running for office then, so you have been a public servant.
Speaker 3: Your whole life.
Speaker 10: This is like a family affairs.
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to give a shout out to the men of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated as well, because we were just talking about the importance of the fraternities in this work and you are a member along with your brother.
Speaker 4: Thank you, mister Speaker to be. I have marveled from Afar down in Florida at the way you have been able to manage and keep a very vast ideologically ranged caucus together. I mean the fact that you all have held on some of the votes that have come been put to the floor, that you have in many ways performed as the Speaker of the House and delivering very key legislation that could have otherwise been off the table or otherwise undermined.
Speaker 3: More effective than the active absolutely more effected.
Speaker 4: Because he delivers. I just got to ask a lot of folks around the country are nervous around the kinds of tactics that may be taken to either uncertify not certify put spoke, you know, obstructions in the wheel in order to delay the Congress's ability to do what is your ceremonial. But also constitutional responsibility to count the votes, the Electoral College votes, so on and so forth, and certify the presidency. Please tell us that there are scenario planning, there are stop gaps in the way, fel safes that can ensure that if we are out here encouraging people to go vote, they do their job, that when it comes to you all that we can rely on some protection that this election will not be stolen, will not be undermined by the other side, but that people can have some relative reliability on our democracy.
Speaker 21: Well, Andrew, great to see you, thank you for your public service. And it is a very important question. I think the good news is, first of all, we got to make sure all the reasons that you articulated, all of the uncertainty. Because whoever holds the gavels, whoever is in the majority on January sixth, which is the date set forth in the Constitution to certify the election. The new Congress is sworn in on January third, meaning whoever is in the majority as a result of the November election will have the ability to decide whether to certify or not. And there's an open question if the Republicans continue to hold the majority because so many of their members are election deniers and have chosen simply to bend the need to Donald Trump, who has already trying to lay the groundwork to claim, falsely if he loses or when he loses, that the election was stolen.
Speaker 10: So we got to take back the House. That's important.
Speaker 21: But we actually did act legislatively and passed a bill called the Electoral Reform count Act in two thousand and twenty two that did two important things. One, it may clear that the vice president's role is only ceremonial important now the good in this particular situation, of course, the vice president is Kamala Harris. But for future elections, we've made it clear that no one can do what Donald Trump tried to do in bullying Mike Pence to unilaterally declare the election invalid and toss the electoral votes over to him. But perhaps the second, yet most important part of that legislation is it used to be the case that it only took one member out of all four hundred and thirty five to object to the election in the House and one member out of one hundred to object in the Senate.
Speaker 10: That's all that was required.
Speaker 21: And then you can create this whole scenario where shenanigans and games can be played, and that's what was set in motion. On January sixth of twenty twenty one. We changed that so now it requires at least twenty percent of the House and twenty percent of the Senate, so that means at least a little over eighty members have to object. Now, you know, on the other side of the out you might be able to get to that number in the House, but we don't think you can get to that number in the Senate because there still are enough traditional Republicans but we don't believe will go along with Donald Trump's shenanigans to try to undermine the results. And so this is an example of legislation actually being advanced in response to a crisis that puts us in a much stronger position.
Speaker 4: Well, the best feel safe, y'all if you didn't catch it at the beginning of the answer is to put Democrats back in charge the House representative That commercial.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 5: The other thing that I think is really important about the role of the speaker. You talk about the Democratic Party being a big tent party all the time, so.
Speaker 3: Your job is not going to be very easy.
Speaker 5: You have people across the ideological spectrum. You know that and have experienced that as the Democratic leader as well. Talk about some of the things that you will have to do to get people on the same page and some of the big picture ideas you have in that role. I'm gonna use as a personal example. He is my leader too, And I texted him when I was.
Speaker 3: Like, when did everybody got an indorse come? He knows it, and he was like, let me be leader for a day.
Speaker 4: I was like, bye, right, I'm sure that happened an hour.
Speaker 3: After spouting I was it was.
Speaker 5: But I but I think that it's important because you're going to deal with people who are throwing tantrums. I'm one of them sometimes, and you're going to be dealing with folks who are like, I know the best way I can follow me? How do you bring everybody together?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, it's a great question.
Speaker 21: And you know, I think one we've adopted a philosophy and approach and this is something that I learned from Jim Clyburn that unity is different than unanimity.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 21: And the House Democratic Caucus represents the gorgeous mosaic of the American people with the closest institution to the American people by design and on the House Democratic caucuside, we have incredible diversity across every possible measure. But that means with people who have different life experiences, different perspectives, different constituencies, they may take a different view on a given issue or two. But we're not expecting unanimity. We are, however, expecting unity, which means that we're united around these principles of fighting for justice, fighting for freedom, putting people over politics, and so we can have our family discussions, which we often do.
Speaker 10: Sometimes they're exuberant. We prefer them to be private, not public.
Speaker 21: But once we get through those family discussions, we find the highest common denominator. And this is what we've done throughout the entire Congress in order to get to the best possible result for the American people.
Speaker 4: Now, there will always be some folks who will say, well.
Speaker 21: You didn't go far enough, and our general view, learning from our civil rights legends right who went through a similar process as they were working through the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act, and the Fair Housing Act, that sometimes you just have to live to fight another day. Yeah, but we're all united in terms of where we want to go.
Speaker 4: Not make the perfect the enemy of the good, which oftentimes too often happens the speaker to be. We know that your time is extremely valuable. I just got to throw you some crazy love over his oratory. Yes, I mean I've been moved on occasion where this stuff should be for process. Yes, And I keep getting The Congressman gets up and begins to speak, and he evokes history, and he evokes emotion, and he connects and weaves together such an incredibly diverse set of experiences of the American people to bring all of us into investment and whatever it is that they're attempting to do. It's it is. It is a power. We're yes, But more than anything, it is a blessing. And I'm so glad that you've been imbued with it because I think it's an essential part of what allows you to be the kind of uh successful speaker that I think you've already shown yourself to.
Speaker 3: Be by here a little hip hop every Now.
Speaker 1: That's why my quick favorite quote from the Congressman is during the impeachment hearings and a Republican member said, I just don't know why we're here, and the Congressman stood up and answered him and.
Speaker 11: Listed innumerable reasons why we were here, uh and and laid out a beautifully argued case. And at the end he said, so, if you don't know, Brooklyn is always in the house.
Speaker 6: And we love it.
Speaker 3: Literally, I love you on this podcast. We're championedlations.
Speaker 21: This is amazing podcast. Gratulations are all the success. And you know, Angela and Tiffany Andrew appreciate you all.
Speaker 10: Family.
Speaker 3: You don't let you be leader for a day, but tomorrow you got to be. Mister Speaker.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic. I love it, love it, love it.
Speaker 4: Man. I'm so proud of if I came. I mean, yes, I heard him first in Florida when he came down and did some some organizing work. Yeah, throughout the race and so on and so forth. But his leadership is incredible.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I we're now saying goodbye. If you're.
Speaker 22: Definitely be interesting, how we all we make sure we hunt race.
Speaker 3: Really quickly.
Speaker 1: The California role call happened while we had mister Speaker on, which is symbolic because of course this is Vice President Harris home States, where she has won more elections than Donald Trump. So It's an honor to see that history unfold.
Speaker 3: And this suit is fly child. Yes, and her suit is amazing. Handla's gonna bring in Uh. Ted her next guest Andela.
Speaker 5: Our dear friend Ted James has joined us. Ted James has been a State rep in Louisiana. He has worked for the Small Business Administration in this administration. He is running for mayor and baton rouge and he is Uh. He's a dear friend of ours. My favorite thing to say about Ted is when the people need something.
Speaker 3: They're done. They do one thing and it's two words all Ted. That is when your brother just left the set as well.
Speaker 10: I love it.
Speaker 3: Given too much. We've been talking about the D nine and the all shouting you.
Speaker 10: Out, so let me tell you something.
Speaker 23: It was such an honor to walk up and see my three dear friends and thank you all for always elevating our voices.
Speaker 4: And I'm honored to be here. But to see the next peak of the house. Yeah, a good cap a man was also heartwarming. Yeah, I bet, I bet I bet tad you you've been at the legislative level making moves. Your reputation is far outside of the state of Louisiana outside of Baton Rouge. But we know that that community has shaped the person that you are, the wonderful public servant. And I know we've got listeners and viewers down there, y'all show ted some great love. You're going from the legislature now back to the local Now. I'm welcoming you because I'm I'm a man of the local level. I know you're tell us. Tell us what has animated your desire to make your way from the state level of governing on behalf of your community to now being Mayor Andrew.
Speaker 23: I'll tell you it's the opportunity in their administration to travel across the country. And I watched other mayors do what I watched you do, raise the quality of life through investing in small businesses there. Baton Rouge is very similar to Talent Has in that the two major universities, one Southern University, how to amplify that HBCU culture through making sure that those young people have entrepreneurship opportunities where they decide to stay in Baton Rouge and I leave for opportunities other places.
Speaker 4: I love that. I love that, and so tell us what's the shake for those who don't know. Give us the lay of the land. What when's the primary? When's the general?
Speaker 23: What's the what's the Louisiana We have open primers. We call them jungle primier. So we are all running on November fifth, and the top two vote getters will go December seventh, unless one of us receive fifty percent of the vot plus one. I'm working to receive fifty percent plus one. But if not, we go to a runoff in December.
Speaker 4: So I didn't realize, y'all. So y'all go beyond the November. That's right, okay, okay, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: So you know a lot of people we think you're a superstar. Some of our audience are not familiar with you. If somebody does not live in in Baton Rouge, I'm curious your thoughts on.
Speaker 3: Why they matter. But before you answer that, I see Angela.
Speaker 1: Has you all saw Angela Leaf said she went and grabbed us another member of Congress. We are joined now by Congressman Gregory Meeks out of New York. He serves on the Foreign Relations Committee, and Angela, in her capacity as a former executive director of the Congressional Black Hawk, is worked very closely with Congressman Gregory Meeks, so it's.
Speaker 3: Wonderful to be doing by you. He's also the chair of the Congressional black Hawk is Pack.
Speaker 6: He walked by yesterday.
Speaker 3: I was like, today, we're snatching him. I'm probably gonna get in trouble. Just stand, but I was like, I need it. For three minutes.
Speaker 5: I just wanted mister Meeks in the middle of Ted talking about the importance of electoral politics running for overs himself. Mister Meeks, you fight every day to ensure that our numbers incre We are a strong sixty. Now, CBC members, I want you to talk about why it's so important to invest in entities like.
Speaker 3: The Congressional black Hawk as Pack, shameless plug. I sit on the board so I chair.
Speaker 23: No.
Speaker 12: Look, what we're talking about is having real power in America. What we're talking about is making a game change. And this is why this is a historic moment. You talk about sixty. Now, what happens with that sixty We're going to have at least five members when we take back to the majority in the House. We're going to have five members of the CBC that will be chairs of full committees. You look at people like Bennie Thompson from Mississippi being Chair of Homeland Security. We talk about education and we want to make sure that we got real history. Bobby Scott from Virginia will be Chair of Education and Labor. We talk about how black farmers have been robbed and no justice. David Scott from Georgia will be Chair of the Agriculture Committee. We talk about financial services, which is really important.
Speaker 10: You talk about all the finance in the world, sins the Maxine. Now Maxine will be Chair.
Speaker 12: Of the Financial Services Committee, and your little brother here I will be Chair of the House Foreign Fans Committee, and over thirty one members of the CBC will be chairs of major subcommittees. So we are talking about investing in the CBC. We are talking about setting the policies for the United States of America and getting justice for many people across. You know, we're talking about if we're talking about voting rights, if we're talking about criminal justice reform, if we're talking.
Speaker 10: About creating wealth and reducing the wealth gap. That's what this is all about.
Speaker 12: And making this, you know, a statement that then turns into reality. But to me, this is doctor King's dream. It's a good time to be alive today right now when you look at the fact, you know, I can tell you at me and my age, many individuals did not think that we would see another person of color being president.
Speaker 10: One thing that I will say that Don Da Khan was right about.
Speaker 12: You know what we look at when I see Barack Obama and now I see Kamala Harris. I know where a black job is?
Speaker 7: This president of.
Speaker 10: Black job.
Speaker 4: That what this is really all about.
Speaker 10: It's about real power, yes, and make it a difference.
Speaker 5: Black jobs do not have it without black packs.
Speaker 3: So I just wanted to get you on your first shout out, so thank you. Does he have to run right now? I want to ask one quick.
Speaker 23: Wife, sorry, Congressman, want another member from Ben Rouge and Cleo Field, get him.
Speaker 10: That's right him and quite easy. You know they bring a lot of history.
Speaker 1: Congressman, I want to ask one quick question. We had your colleague, Congressman Bennie Thompson on yesterday, the ranking member on Homeland Security, and he spoke about how oftentimes foreign policy issues are not the top of the list of priorities for people, especially in our community, who are juggling so much from how to pay the mortgage to keeping their kids save to you know, sending kids to school. And I'm just curious because you serve on the Foreign Awaces Committee. It is crucial, a crucial committee because what happens overseas very much impact what happens here from a budget standpoint to policy. What would you say going into this new cycle, this election cycle is the chief issue when it comes to foreign policy.
Speaker 10: Well, there's a number of them. First and foremost.
Speaker 12: You know, when you talk about the situation that's happening, whether it's the Middle East, it is really important that we deal with that, to deal with what we're talking about with the challenges with China.
Speaker 10: But I'll tell you what we don't talk about enough that should be on the front burner. What's happening in Sedan, Yes.
Speaker 12: You know where you have more people dying every day and it's not anyone's talking about it. And so when I become the chair again, that becomes on the front burner to talk about what's happening in Haiti, is you know something that's really important that looked like us, That makes a difference when you look even at brisk going on where there's more black people than any place else in the world other than the continent of Africa is Brazil and how they are affected with reference to dealing with the issues in Venezuela, and then you talk that deals with this migrant crisis that you're talking about, so we've got to deal with those.
Speaker 10: It's those issues are on the on the front burner, and it's all.
Speaker 12: Interconnected because when you have the war like in Ukraine, a lot of people don't understand what happens there is when you talk about uh food and food shortages with the Black Sea because of that war is blocking some of the passage, which brings up the price of food and thereby causes inflation. It's all interconnected because the world now is much smaller than it used to be and we are living with a global economy. We're talking about the fact that each you know, when you talk about food chains, which gets in if they're shut down in effect success you talk about energy, that's a global issue of which we got to deal in trade in the cost of gas. That is you know, some people look at it as just something that's far away, but it is domestic because it affects us domestically each in every day, and that's why you got to consider looking at foreign policy, and it's even and it's harder to talk about diplomacy as opposed to going to war. And what we try to do is to try to make sure that we're talking about doing things in a diplomatic way, because then it is cheaper than having to go to war that costs American people.
Speaker 4: That's what that's why you are in forigm relations, that's why you're about to be the chair game. Because that was one of the most accessible explanations I've heard as to why when folks say, all I see is all our money going overseas someplace else, and that's what they summarize foreign policy to be. But when you talk about gas prices and you talk about the prices serial because we can't be that's right, or you talk about blockades that then raise the costs because of the shortages, low supply, high demand, higher prime in place, it is so these are the I hope that we continue to talk about it in that way because folks large in our community. When you when you have need yourself, it's very hard to then see what are your tax dollars being used to fill another need when in fact what looks obvious may not be so obviously and.
Speaker 10: What we learned from the pandemic. If somebody is sick someplace else in the world, that come here.
Speaker 12: So it's important to make sure that we are working with others so that it keeps us safe and.
Speaker 10: Healthy because they are safe and healthy.
Speaker 12: So all of that is interconnected, and that's why we've got to make sure that we stay involved and understand what's taking place in a final fair situation, what you're doing on.
Speaker 3: We wish you well, but I just want to shout how Alpha by alphab return.
Speaker 4: Shouted them out rest of the week.
Speaker 3: We are so grateful to Ted Jay, the congressman chair, to be in here.
Speaker 24: With you.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 4: And while the Congressman is making transition, I'm gonna welcome up another mayor to talk to Tay. I hope you're staying. I think.
Speaker 7: Melvin Carter.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're welcoming Melvin Carter to the to the stays.
Speaker 1: And we had to be brief because we had a long I don't know what, just so that we have a long line to guests.
Speaker 3: So we have Adrian waiting as well, So hi, mister mayor, we he might want to come on this side.
Speaker 4: Over there, so y'all. We're just inviting. We're just inviting in the mayor of the Saint Paul, Minnesota. He is the first African American ever to be elected to that position. First a lot of first and he's a member of Alpha Pi Alpha.
Speaker 24: Uh.
Speaker 4: I just mentioned that the Beta new chapter at Florida A and M University, which also suggests to me that he is a rattler. Y'll, so Melvin put those earphones on. Uh all right, so I know your time is them and you just missed that. Yeah, that's you missed that incredible introduction that I just gave of you. Is that, yes, right before Adrian shropshid. I appreciate and so we just want you to tell a little bit of the people what you're working on over there in Minnesota. Man, with your governor leaving that there may be something coming.
Speaker 7: Down and governor is about to be my gun.
Speaker 4: Understand she l t too.
Speaker 6: Always started I even got on.
Speaker 3: I'm not on your side.
Speaker 7: That's right. It's good to see y'all man. I appreciate it. We're just trying to do our best in Minnesota.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 25: One of the things that you know this really well at somebody who served as mayor. We've learned a model of of like city building, the centers around stuff. It's buildings, it's streets and stuff like that. In Saint Paul, when my dad was growing up, they bulldozed seven hundred people's homes to lay a street because that's how our values were. So our goal is just to say, when we say we believe in people, we're just gonna go all in on betting on our folks. Whether that's piloting guaranteed income, whether that's starting fifty dollars to start a college savings account for every child born in our city, whether that's raised in the minimum wage, giving people up to one hundred and ten thousand dollars and forgivable financing and purchase of home or renovating existing home, just going all in on our folks, y'all.
Speaker 4: He said a lot right there, because he's a man who understands what time restraints mean. But guaranteed minimum income piloting that program in his city, right, that's a huge deal for a lot of people all across America. And the Brothers being innovative with that all of his own, I gotta say we also joined by another incredible human I'm gonna let your church.
Speaker 5: Sire is the executive director of Black pat We are so honored, Adrian, to be partnered with you.
Speaker 3: We are looking forward to work with you beyond.
Speaker 5: This convention for the next seventy seven days and if it needs to be seventy seven years. Are so grateful for everything you're doing. You are killing it, You've been killing it. I just got a shout out she from the West coast.
Speaker 10: To us.
Speaker 3: You know, there was just a roll call on the floor of unity.
Speaker 10: We're not doing that.
Speaker 4: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 5: But Adrian, can you please tell our listeners because I think it's so important. Congressman Weeks was just here talking about the role of the Congressional black Hawk is Pack talking.
Speaker 3: About how important it is.
Speaker 5: And I have those sixty seats, the thirty plus members who will be chairs of so committees should the Democrats take over the House in the fall, and so I would love for you to talk about the important work that Black Pack is doing and how folks listening and watching at home can get involved.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 24: So I'm one of the things that you said that is so import and as we have seventy seven days, yes, but we got a lot of people to talk to, Okay, and so when we think about you know, whether it is knocking on doors, which we're doing in the battleground states across the country, having conversations which we've been doing for months, and you know, we had the little change at the top of the ticket, and suddenly it is like the change, this guy's kind of opened up, right, And so I think that you you see, like the excitement is real, the energy is real among like across our elders, our younger people. But the job is not done. We still have a single job, and we still need to reach a lot of people. So there are a lot of folks who don't understand who the vice president is. They want to understand her record. You still have a lot of people who are saying I might vote third party, right, I'm not sure if I'm going to say. So. You still have the folks who are saying I might stay home. And so we have to reach all of those people. And we have this truncated timeline. We talk about seventy seven days, but we know that the ballots go out in North Carolina on September sixth, and then they go out in Pennsylvania and they guess, well, people will how balance in their hands and they will be voting, and we need to get the information to it. So our job, in all of our job, but certainly blackpacked job, is to make sure we're delivering the information, whether it's on the doors, whether it's in business and businesses and communities, whether it's on the radio, and delivering the message, whether it's digitally, whether it's mail, whatever. Is to make sure that we are talking to people, making sure that they understand the stakes. Because people do understand the stakes, they know that it's a democracy or dictatorship.
Speaker 3: People get all of that right.
Speaker 24: They also feel right now and this is the great part, is that there's history at stake right now as well, and people are ready to make history. And so I think that you know, we need to keep people motivated. We need to ride this wave coming out of the convention, but we also need to do the work that needs to be done, the hard work to make sure that people turn out. Motivation is not a vote, it is, so we need to make sure that people who are motivated find themselves to the ballot box. And then obviously we need to make sure that the votes are counted and that the election is certified on they.
Speaker 1: They ran outside of an election cycle, because you know, some people it's like what the congressional back clock is. For example, some people think as a legislative body that's there to solve or address issues related to black people, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and it's a bit more complex than that.
Speaker 1: So outside of an election year, what exactly is the role of black pack, what's the significance and is there a call to action? Is there a way for our audience to support uplift get involved in a tangible way.
Speaker 24: Well, So the reality is that there is never outside an election cycle, all right, So every year that there is.
Speaker 3: An election, so we talk.
Speaker 24: I mean, this is we get excited about the presidential and we should, but there's down ballot races this cycle as well, that people need to pay attention to their congressional races, their state races. But we know that every year is an election, and whether it is your city council or is your mayor or is your school board.
Speaker 3: There is something that people should be painted.
Speaker 24: There was someone about to make a decision about your life, and so we ask people to stay engaged. We try and make sure that people stay engaged in all the elections across you know, after the big ones. But we also want to make sure that people are engaged in the legislative fights, because sometimes we elect our friends to office and then we just leave them on their own right if we don't stay there to support them and say, well, here, we're gonna help you. We're gonna push you when we need to push you right, and we're gonna we're gonna show up for you when you need us to show up for you. So we want to make sure people stay in gaged in the legislative advocacy.
Speaker 6: People can suit.
Speaker 24: We are recruiting volunteers right now in a big way obviously, for people to do both virtual volunteer work and also to do the volunteer work in their local community.
Speaker 3: So if folks want to.
Speaker 24: Get involved, they can go to our website blackpack dot com and sign up to volunteers.
Speaker 4: But before you jump off the stage, because I know you, they get pulled every direction. You have a unique perspective to offer to the listeners, which is you are a mayor in the state Liesten where the next Vice President of the United States is coming from. As as governor, what should we know about Tim Wallas that we don't know.
Speaker 25: First of all, you should know I am the mayor of the city that our next vice president lives in.
Speaker 7: Just let's just that's to be well done, That's right.
Speaker 25: So you know, listen to Governor and I've worked really closely together over the past four or five years or so. You know, it's no secret that Minnesota, as has the rest of the world, been through a whole lot. And let me tell you, he's just been a consistent person. What you see is what you get, whether he's on the stage at a rally or whether he's you know, uh, you know, in the neighborhood, you know, talking to folks on the block. Just an incredible person who has who connects with people individually, who does the tough right thing when it's time to have a tough conversation. He's somebody I believe in wholeheartedly. And I'm excited to see him as our vice president.
Speaker 4: I love that. Well, we can't wait to see what happens next for you as well, sir.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've been joined finally parents with You're gonna use this Mike Terrence Woodberry, who runs Hit Strategies of polling firm and his week reference your work constantly on Native land pod and the amazing work that you're doing. You're also doing polling work for this can pain uh for President Alex We call her Kamala Harris. So thank you for joining us, and thank you before you we welcome officially.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Adrian, and thank you, mister Mayor. And Adrian's I understand with us.
Speaker 6: Mister Mayor.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to find somebody take a picture for me.
Speaker 4: She's gonna get she's gonna do it.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, But in the meantime, sorry, I'm learning to mute these. I didn't want you to hop off, Adrian. I actually I was looking most forward to this part of the conversation where Terrence is present and you are in part because I feel like we got our collective start together, you know, like in real life.
Speaker 3: And that's right before Terrence was doing work on Andrew's campaign.
Speaker 5: I really got to know Terrence when he was working with Cornell Belcher brilliant corners and we all work together with s C. I you doing some of the same kind of work, Terrence. Since then, you've done some incredible work and even its Adrian, I would love for you all to talk about the importance of that work, the importance of that synergy, even if y'all ain't contracted right now, because you can't you with the official official now he big time, Adrian, Hey, big time, Can you talk about the importance of laying that groundwork?
Speaker 7: Absolutely?
Speaker 9: Look, men, me and Adrian been on this journey for a long time.
Speaker 10: Agrient.
Speaker 9: You remember we were actually focus grouping the name Black Black Pack. I think, I think, in fact, we had we had I remember one responding a focus group said to us when we were talking about putting together a black agenda and what it takes to put together a black agenda, And I said, well, tell me how you like it.
Speaker 7: They said, well, I mean I just.
Speaker 10: Want mind you to all black.
Speaker 4: I like it like my coffee, he said.
Speaker 7: He said, can we just call it the Coffee Party?
Speaker 9: I love that we are, you know, And since then we have kept our finger on the pust of black voters. You know, we are in We've done over seventy focus groups this year. We've we've conducted over two dozen polls. And one thing that I was that I was picking up early even in the research we were doing with Blackpack was the the role that perception of power plays in how black voters precede themselves. Look posters often use a proxy like motivation or enthusiasm to.
Speaker 7: Determine who's actually going to vote.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 9: Well, one thing we've learned in these focus groups is that not all black folks are voting enthusiastically. Right at A young man tell me the Philadelphia focus group that voting for him is like taking out the trash.
Speaker 7: He won't always want to do it, but if you don't do it.
Speaker 4: Then shit starts to stinker out here. Yeah, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 9: So that young man, he don't sound that he's going to vote enthusiastically, but he gonna take the trashot on the election day.
Speaker 7: And so we've been measuring perceptions of power.
Speaker 10: Here's what that looks like.
Speaker 9: We ask this question on every poll that Hit Strategies does, regardless of how often you vote, how much power does your vote have to make a difference in your community. The higher they rate those perceptions of power, the more likely they are to vote.
Speaker 10: And what we are seeing right.
Speaker 9: Now in the last four weeks is a level of power, of collective power that is.
Speaker 10: Being express as being demonstrated.
Speaker 9: And I do expect that to drive a still election day.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I'm curious because you know, I on this show often say the polls do not matter. I think they matter to campaigns. I don't think it's a healthy exercise to constantly berate the public with polls. You know it matters most as a candidate.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: I also think it's how you interpret the information from the polls. What week did you ask this question? What was the specific question asked? What did the focus group look like? Was there a black person posing these questions to a room full of light?
Speaker 4: Very important right there?
Speaker 1: Sometimes are communicating with our communities. Looks very different for people who are suspicious about the.
Speaker 3: Polls, who you know, don't believe the polls.
Speaker 1: What would you say to naysayers like me? And I would imagine a lot of people out there.
Speaker 9: Look first, I want to I think what Tiffany means when she says that polling doesn't matter.
Speaker 10: I think what she's think.
Speaker 9: I don't want to men explain Tiffany at all. I think what Tiffany means is that poles can't tell you who's going to win today.
Speaker 10: And that is true.
Speaker 9: Polls right now are not predictive of who the winner of this is just because someone's up two points today or down two points tomorrow. That ain't predict Hello, listen, and so and so what we are doing at his strategies is, you know, maintaining keeping our finger on the posse, following that trend line, understanding what people are hearing, what's what's resonating, and what's not. You know, we started hit strategies to correct the record on on on what is being misrepresented and underrepresenting our polling, and far too often that's black folks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, can I just jump in.
Speaker 24: I think we should talk about sample sizing these polls, right and so I think the party like polls are instructive right there. They help us understand what we need to do. They point out the problems that we have and how we can address them. But we know that some of the larger poles just have sall sample sizes of black voters, right and then and then draw conclusions about what broadly black voters think from a really tiny set of folks. And I think that that's part of the things that one of the things that people need to understand is that we should polls are interesting. No one should be following the polls like they're being asked to follow the polls right now is actually they're actually not helpful.
Speaker 10: That's right.
Speaker 9: Well, I do want to tell you one thing that we're seeing in the polls right now, because you know, regardless of the sample size, there are some trends that are undeniable right and what we have seen in the last four weeks is the ability of Kamala Harris to consolidate the Democratic coalition more quickly than I ever imagined possible. She's doing twelve points better with women voters, fifteen points better with young voters, and twenty two points better with the black voters.
Speaker 6: Twenty two points.
Speaker 4: Wow, in four weeks.
Speaker 9: We still have work to do. I'm not ready to call her president elect yet because we got work to do. We have work to do, but we are The trend line is going in the right way, and a lot of that is being powered by black voters can work.
Speaker 5: One of our favorite political worker bees public Servants extraordinariy the only elected official to ever submit a comment.
Speaker 10: To Nate.
Speaker 5: Governor Girl Gil Chris, our good friend from Michigan.
Speaker 3: How you doing, brothers, well, y'all.
Speaker 26: Happy to be here with you. Is such an honor and a privilege. And now I was on my phone talking to y'all and now we're here to DNC. Talking to y'all is great, we.
Speaker 3: Phone, now we're here.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're so thankful because Angela, we didn't know that you were going to come on. And angel said, I have a surprise, a surprise guest coming on.
Speaker 3: And we saw you. We were thrilled to have you. This is so exciting.
Speaker 1: I want to ask because I remember when Big Gretch as we call her affectionately, who I believe we will see tomorrow. I'm so Governor Gretchen Whitmer out of Michigan will be joining us tomorrow. But I remember covering your campaign from a distance, seeing the the You're the first black lieutenant governor. Yes, so all these historic candidates who have ascended to power at this time, and we've been consistently asking people, As another historic candidate, what does this moment mean to you? To be serving in government when the country is poised to be led by a black.
Speaker 26: Woman, It is incredibly inspiring. Look, Kamala Harris, she has made history in every single victory that she has and I think what that's a demonstration of is She's never won alone. She has always thought about how to create more space and opportunity to kick these doors down so more of us can walk through them, and all of us who are intellected service we should have that same kind of energy. And so for me, I don't want to be amazing. I don't want to be singular. I want to be the door opener. I want to be the person who inspires the next person to go even farther, who's even hungrier and more ambitious, like tupac'saire. Right, you ain't got to be scared about me. You got to worry about the one coming after me.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 26: They not gonna take no, They're not gonna ask no questions.
Speaker 6: Yeah right.
Speaker 26: I think the same kind of thing needs to be the kind of just spirit that we bring to the service, that you know, we can make things happen. That when we organize and we work together, we can bring everybody into the conversation, everybody to the table, everybody to the room, And when we include more people in decision making, we make better choices.
Speaker 4: I love that, Lieutenant Governor, when you are you know, we all heard early on in y'all's administration, the whole plot to you know, guess kidnap the governor and all this kind of insane stuff that's happening in the state of Michigan. I'm curious to know, as a brother, as you go out to various parts of the state, I'm assuming showing up in places where you're not expected, but you remind them that you're the governor for the entire state, not just for a portion of the state. How are you received. How do you find yourself being able to talk to folks who not are just ideologically different, but as people may reject your very being. Yeah, what does that feel like? What is that like? And how do you if it's possible to bridge, how do you go about bridging?
Speaker 26: So Yeah, unfortunately I have experienced the same level of death threat to me to my family. Look, we had the pregame for January sixth, on April thirtieth of twenty twenty in the state of Michigan. In the weeks after that, there were men with long guns that line the sidewalks that walked up to the Capitol or I had to go to preside over the state Senate. I'm walking through there like it's a start and lineup. You know what I'm saying at a basketball game, we walked through and everybody's on the side. So unfortunate left had to deal with that suspicious packages under my vehicles, these content things that that mail are sent to my home, my parents home being swatted last week, like these kinds of things happened. But to answer your question, Andrew, when I go to places like Escanaba, Michigan, which is in the western part of the Upper Peninsula Michigan, I was there this past Thursday for the up State Fair to talk to farmers about why they need to have access to a dream of health and wealth, just like everybody else in Michigan needs to have access to that dream. They say thank you because they don't expect a six eight dark skinned brother from Detroit to be up there asking them questions.
Speaker 7: About rabbits du rights.
Speaker 26: But I also go to the ur Peninsula more than any state elected officials going through their peninsula in twenty years, and moved there four times a year for multiple days. That's because because I think all of us need to understand that we are all in this together. I think that's the biggest difference frankly between us and our opponents that their vision for the future is so small that it can't include all of us. It can't include black folks, it can't include women, it can't include young people, it can't in clue elders, it can't include the lgbt Q plus community. And so by showing up, you show people that you respect them enough to serve them. And I think you got to.
Speaker 7: Respect people to serve them.
Speaker 16: Well.
Speaker 1: People are I just want to say, people are shouting you out, all the people joining us, thank you all for watching at home. That they're saying they love Garland Gilchrist, but they're saying he might be in Michigan, but he has Bullet County, Alabama roots.
Speaker 26: Yeah, my mother's people are from Union Springs, Alabama. I spend about a month every summer as a kid playing in the red dirt down there in Alabama.
Speaker 10: And that's all good.
Speaker 7: That's all good.
Speaker 3: Are YouTube soda?
Speaker 9: I love it well.
Speaker 5: We are so grateful to all of you, like not just we started the show with Natasha Brown talking about building black power. It is so poetic and so necessary and divine that we're talking about that at the At the close of our show, Adrian Shropshire with Black Pack y'all is it black Pats dot Com, Lieutenant Governor Garland Gil Chris and our friends Terrence Woodbury from the whole God's right every time, the coffee party, the black party, all the things.
Speaker 6: We love it.
Speaker 3: But yes, we appreciate y'all. Thank you so much. We can't wait to celebrate with y'all this week so much history makers. Welcome home.
Speaker 9: You guys.
Speaker 3: Indeed, we'll see you.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 4: I gotta tell y'all, Angela Tiff, what a incredible set of guests here.
Speaker 3: I feel like I can't.
Speaker 6: I'm going to come out.
Speaker 4: You want me to, We got you, We got a text. I gotta see you man. All right, this brother impressive. I just got to say, this is my my, my, my first time hearing tenant governor in long form.
Speaker 5: Taking Why didn't sound like we were saying about the same Damn you don't want to Yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Make my comment.
Speaker 3: Got sit down somewhere, covered by the table. You'll be covered by the table. But this was my first time split y'all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she don't want to show everybody everything. But but in real time, y'all, this is my first time with Lieutenant Governor Gil Chris hearing him in long form interview in impressive rock with heavy impressive brother. Yeah, and I just can't wait to see with the future holes because you know, big Wretch is she bad? And I see that there may be some political wins that may shift. Yeah, because we need our best talent on the field, from the cabinet to governors to who's in the Senate, in the House, and I will predict all of us will need to keep our eyes out on the lieutenant governor to see what.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy you asked them about the kidnapping plot. I do want to say we're speaking before we hear from the Obama's. I don't believe Michelle right later. It's because some of you all may be watching this tomorrow, So forgive us if you're watching this tomorrow. But what do you guys, what significance do the Obamas still play on a national political stage at this point?
Speaker 3: You ruffle some feathers, which a comment. I did ruffle some feathers, and I don't regret it.
Speaker 5: I think you know, tonight is a remarkable opportunity as we are in Chicago, which is is where Michelle Obama and Barack Obama have long made their home. This is where history is made for him, and I think today could be a turning point that I would have liked to see a lot sooner, but I would I cannot wait for Michelle Obama's speech.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait for Barack Obama's speech, because.
Speaker 5: What I do know is they have the power of the spoken and written word on their side, and they have the opportunity to pass, to continue passing the torch. Right we know last night on the floor, Joe Biden didn't really use opportunity to pass the torch to Kamala Harrison in the way that I thought. I felt like last night's no. I was surprised I didn't get to say this y'all earlier because we had to run. But I actually thought that last night was a State of the Union part too, like y'all will kick me off the valley, y'all will catch all these accomplishments.
Speaker 3: Now, he did a great job. I was gonna say he did a great job, so say.
Speaker 5: You always are child, But I was going to say, you know, to me, he did a great job of saying And when they said thank you, Joe, he was like, and thank Kamala too.
Speaker 3: But I'm just talking about the expectation I had was.
Speaker 5: That he was going to tell them everything he knew about Kamala Harris. He was going to tell them about all the things that was in her portfolio where she shined, and focus on those accomplishments.
Speaker 3: I'm not faulting him. I understand why he did what he did.
Speaker 5: But tonight, Barack Obama, after being our actual first black president of the United States, has the opportunity to show Kamala Harris and her support base what it takes and why he will be someone who should roll up his sleeves and get his ass do really like I said, and this could be the first one. I want this to be the test case. And for him to show me.
Speaker 3: Proved to me all was wrong. Barack Obama proved.
Speaker 5: To me that that call add that y'all did was you know, just because the schedule didn't work, proved to me to not friend after fifty years.
Speaker 1: In service and government. I do think that President Biden earned his time to say this is what I've done. I think his time like I don't think it was his job in that moment to talk about her. I think other people have been doing that in their speeches. I think she will have to do that and make her case for the American people. And I would love to hear from her to talk about, you know, her accomplishments and you know, let the American people know what she's done. I'm also curious because I'm like you, Angel, I want to hear from forever flowus Michelle Obama.
Speaker 3: For it was it four years ago.
Speaker 1: When she told us when they go that may have been longer, twenty sixteen, twenty sixteen, when they go low, we go high. And I do wonder eight years later, where she stands on that message.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't think she'll reform it tonight, but.
Speaker 3: I would be mad if she didn't war with black women.
Speaker 1: And you know, my warning call and battle cry to my sisters is you do not ever want to be on the wrong side of black women. And I think people look to her specifically for messaging sometimes more often than not.
Speaker 3: We wanted to hear from her before we did.
Speaker 4: I do, and I'll tell you why because I think one I think she comes off as one thousand percent sincere in every word that crosses her lips, whether it's true or not, it's the feeling that I get the other thing from the video that they did. The endorsement video, she said, I just got to say to my sister, which was Coke, Yes, we know that, we understood, we need to pivot. In the conversation that took place, She's like, girl, if I could tell you direct, I'm proud of you. I think she's going to bring that level. I think she's going to bring that level of lived experience of what it means to be an accomplished lawyer black woman who's just at the top of your game, almost seemingly without even trying, right, But I know it is with a lot of effort, a lot of work, a lot of preparation.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 4: I don't want to dismiss what it requires to be at the level that they are at, but there is so much more that they share in common than what I think devised their experience. And I think that's what we're going to see a full thought lay into, which is every word I think is going to be buttressed and supported by that shared experience from women who grew up on different sides of the country, who different you know, parents, different upbring different background, but as professional Black women in America, what it has meant to be to get to the top of your game when everybody is calling for you.
Speaker 24: You know.
Speaker 3: The other thing is tonight.
Speaker 5: We talked about the Obama speaking tonight, but there's also another really important speech, and I think the one it adds to the point you were making that there are other folks who also need to make the case.
Speaker 3: For Kamala Harris.
Speaker 5: There's one particular person who has been a powerful surrogate for her, who has corrected people on the pronunciation of her name, and he reminded the American people that if you can't pronounce it, don't worry because after November you can call her mad and Vice President.
Speaker 3: That I mean Madam president. She's mad and vice president now.
Speaker 5: But the person who said you can just call her Madam president is none other than her husband, Doug im Hoffin will also be in the stage tonight.
Speaker 4: I don't think we've heard enough from him, right. I think people still they by her side. But the man's got his own lived experience.
Speaker 5: It's powerful of himself, a wonderful, brilliant political strategy, is a brilliant lawyer. I think that he is going to be powerful tonight, and I think he might end up being a secret weapon in somebody that people slept on.
Speaker 3: I really do to ask you, guys. I want to point out that Ken Chanel is speaking right now, and I think.
Speaker 5: The former CEO of an American restaurant of the few black ones we had a full fortune five vener company, and I I don't quite know.
Speaker 3: Why he's speaking. I can't.
Speaker 1: We can't hear him. We can only see him on screen. But you and I talked about the fact that he would be taking the podium tonight. So but my point in saying that is you can catch him later in the clips because right now we're speaking, and to stay tuned to Native Land Pod Major Yet no disrespect to Ken Chanelt, but you were you were making a point about Doug m.
Speaker 3: Hoff. And I want to ask you, guys, do you think that.
Speaker 1: Black men can receive Doug im Hoff because the first time Vice President Senator Harris ran there were people anyway.
Speaker 4: Even if even if they don't, even if they don't, I believe that black men receive her. I am you know, sometimes y'all, y'all, we're gonna be here nothing.
Speaker 6: Move on.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is talk about.
Speaker 6: Believe.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, we cannot we can. Can I just ask the audience.
Speaker 5: Can we evolve? Do we we can't evolve? I mean, I forgive people from the standpoint of Andrew.
Speaker 6: Is still trying to make them.
Speaker 4: Point.
Speaker 3: I want to I want to come back, brother.
Speaker 5: I love you, but just know that this is paid up pay back from that Fox News interview, that thank you moment, Andrew. I just want to say, I'm sorry. I forgive people, and I can love you from a distance, and you're welcome to vote on this ticket. But one thing I will never forget is when I was at the National Action Network conference and her ass got up there and said that at the name of Donald Trump, every niche a bell. So I'm glad that somebody gave Omarosa a credential to come to this conference, to this convention, and for her to be taking pictures of the podcast. And I hope that she's I hope that she live streaming so she can hear this. Shout out girl, post a picture and see the comments. Because I will never forget you're doing that. Andrew was making a great point about the importance.
Speaker 9: Of no.
Speaker 3: I know, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: Here seven minutes.
Speaker 3: Over time, because we want to hear you.
Speaker 4: We're not going over to this simple You said whether or not black man can receive him in this way, And my point was, it doesn't matter if we do or don't we receive her. And I think that it is enough to be for her that we will show up, show out, vote, and see her elevated to the presidency. I don't think it's a petty negro somewhere who may harbor whatever resentment may exist as a relationship. What you know what I think, y'all? Are I think us this woman? I think you might. You might.
Speaker 3: Anybody.
Speaker 4: Don't keep your I don't know anybody will take much attention from y'all. Y'all have your.
Speaker 3: Taking pictures. It was weird.
Speaker 4: She could be a fan of the show, ain't the one?
Speaker 11: You know what?
Speaker 4: Y'all? We wanted to be with you and say one thing that you to your point.
Speaker 6: Wait, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: Point. I was gonna make so last night Steve Kerr was on the stage. No no, no, no, no, no, no noall. Coach Yes played with Michael Jordans for the Bulls. Okay, okay, which when which coach? Which team does he coach? Now he's he coaches for the NBA team. This one the Yes exactly which one is that is that the Golden State. So he won the championship. That's true. To point. Okay, so we know that because I want to save the last day anyway to point here, my coach, Okay, the point is this, you guys. Last night, during his speech, Andrew, this is important.
Speaker 5: During his speech, he did this to Donald Trump, which is what Steph Curry does when he hits them three.
Speaker 3: You should notice, Tiff, you're watching them.
Speaker 4: But I just like.
Speaker 5: That means like good night night. He said, Donald Trump, go go go night night in November. Right, So here's yes on this during his speech last night. Here's the point.
Speaker 3: Here's the point. I think black men.
Speaker 5: Who have the ability to be persuaded by white men who have done powerful things and have been good allies in black spaces will receive Doug im Hoff just like they received received Steve Kerr. Steve Kerr has been a fantastic ally. He stood with us on black issues. He stood with the team during the the.
Speaker 3: Unrest surrounding George Floyd, and been a.
Speaker 5: Fierce fighter by Jamie We love you, Gotta see Jamie Harrison tomorrow. He's been a fierce protector of black rights. And racial justice in this in these really treacherous times. So yes, I think Doug im Hoff will be received like all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't think there's anything that can stop. I don't think it's.
Speaker 4: This hands I know, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just need to wipe it off. My apologize for and you made a few minutes ago.
Speaker 4: I was trying to make the point, make.
Speaker 3: You're a lyingt okay right out the word tell.
Speaker 4: Us there, tell us that you got four minutes to make there, that's it.
Speaker 3: Why when you are a lying Okay?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 5: Can I ask you a question? What was your highlight from the podcast today? We have so many great guests, so many amazing conversations. Speaker, Yeah, I love collaborate on that, or well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just want to say I'm I'm so excited. I'm a legislative I really do. Yeah, I'm a lover of the house in the sense that I think it's it is part of the greatest deliberative body country. At least it once was. Now it is. Lot y'all is writing confetti on us. I think they're trying to this.
Speaker 5: Is what happens when people piss on us and tell us to bring us back full circle.
Speaker 4: Today that the power of the speaker, Yes, what this man well encompass in his being and is all the way clear about the fact that he is in service. Yeah, I love it. It's beautiful. It's not ego, not tripping. He knows that he is there. He could not hold the Democratic call because the way that he has these last two years without being acutely aware that he is in service in that position to others. And I love the fact that the ego, if it exists, it comes out at the right times as a tool and not to make him a tool. He uses it as a tool.
Speaker 5: I have to say to and Andrew that my highlight today was starting the show, well, yeah, with the machetes, but also Natasha Brown talking about building black political power, and we literally at every turn in the show had that confirmation, whether it was from Delta Sigma Theater or when with Black Women or Black Pack and the work that Terrence is doing it every turn there are people who are in public service themselves or working to facilitate opportunities for the next generation of public servants who are black. That was so powerful to me and I loved being able to share that space with y'all and for.
Speaker 4: Their listeners, you know, the folks who tune in, who are real faithful to be able to expose them to those voices that they can hear from directly, because so many times people have jaded views of people in politics who are elected officials. And I feel like, just in the last two days and we're not even done, we're halfway at the point, right that we've been able to set in front of folks, not the mystery of the individual, but the person. And you get a flavor for who they are, they come, what they're doing, and that they're working on your behalf. And I hope that it renews in some people a sense of encouraged believe that everybody ain't bad who's in this game. In fact, more often than not, if we take take a look a long enough look, we see more good. Yeah, we see a lot more good than bad.
Speaker 1: And yes, I think anytime that I get to share space with Latasha, I was telling her partner earlier, I get so jealous of anytime somebody else gets Vlatasha's time when I'm talking to her and she starts talking to you know, her auntie or her her niece and I'm just like, you know, if I'm like, like I want to just spend time. I want to have lunch in something, and she's like, oh, my sister friend from so and so going to join and someone, you know, Like I just want my time with her because she really is an impath, a visionary. And we talk about politics on this show, but Latasha has poured into all of us on such a deep personal level. And if I can bottle her up and give her away for Christmas.
Speaker 3: I would do it. And it would be price.
Speaker 5: Probably, But I do want to say Andrew made a good point as we get ready to close out the show, Ti if we only have two days left, it's going by so fast. But you guys tomorrow, I mean, my only call to action is that y'all tune in the next two days. Tomorrow is historic for Native Lampid. Tomorrow we will be live streaming still, but we are in collaboration with The Breakfast Club, the number one morning show in the country, and we'll be joined by our good brother and friends, Charlemagne and the God also known as Lenard Michelvey.
Speaker 3: So are we is the Breakfast Club? Like are we airing as the Breakfast Club? We are airing at our Native lampod and the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, so like in the morning it will be so we're still live streaming, yes, and they are also taping for the Breakfast Club the next morning, so it will air on Thursday morning and Friday morning on the Breakfast Club. We will still be streaming tomorrow. We hope that y'all will tune.
Speaker 3: In Who's on tomorrow?
Speaker 5: Oh, you'll got to go to our Instagram page which is at Native lampod and all of our social handles are at Native lampid to see who our guests will be.
Speaker 1: Well, the rumor is that Beyonce or Taylor Swift is coming. I don't know if that's still the rumor. Is Beyonce joining us on sets?
Speaker 4: I have change.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're ready days until the election.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Last morning, Thank you for joining the Natives Attentional with.
Speaker 2: The info and all of the latest red gulum and cross connective to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients. Reason for your choice is clear, so grateful it took the execute roles. Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth and in pat Well walking.
Speaker 7: Home to all of the natives, we thank you.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Welcome Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,