Speaker 1: This is the most traumatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas, and I am so excited not only for this guest today, Tracy Tutor for Million Dollar Listing, the star of that show, but she's just also a brilliant real estate agent for real. I know people think, oh, is that show real? They really do it. Yes, it is a very real show in that they are selling these multimillion dollar listings. And I think if there is a topic to dive into right now beyond politics, that is real estate because there's so much trepidation right now for first time home buyers. How much it costs to get in the market. Should you get in the market right now to buy your first home or level up or should you just rent? Is it a good time to just stay on the sidelines and wait for everything to kind of settle out. I know that she will have some very strong opinions. She's been in this business for decades and is now venturing to my neck of the woods. Very much based in California, but she's starting to stretch it out into the state of Texas. So I have a lot of questions about all of that again. The star of Million Dollar Listing, she's been on it for years. She also just went through a very public breakup we all saw on the show, So I want to know what's going on with her love life as well. Is that up for sale? So Tracy Tudor joins us on the most dramatic podcast ever, And Tracy Tudor joins me, Now where are you in from today?
Speaker 2: We're in California. Tomorrow we're going to Texas.
Speaker 1: Soll you that's funny. Let's okay, So let's just jump roll, let's rip the band aid off. I'm in Texas. I'm in Austin, Texas right now. I was just in California. I'm sorry that it's a thousand degrees in California. It's oddly cooler in Texas for some reason. But you're starting to work in Texas. And we're going to talk about Million Dollar Listing in television, but you're starting to work in Texas, So let's just start talking real estate. Why why you found that Texas is the hotspot to start working in real estate.
Speaker 2: I'm I've been pumped about Texas for a while, but this really sort of began for me during COVID when we were living in LA and on lockdown, and we just started to see an enormous amount of people vacating Los Angeles in California in general.
Speaker 1: You're looking at one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right. I think I saw probably fifty million in my network, you know, leave the state and go to Texas, whether it was Dallas or Austin or Houston. And I started to say to myself, well, obviously there's an opportunity and I need to take it. And Douglas Ellman, my my brokerage, had opened up offices there post COVID, and so I immediately got my license and started, you know, a team in both Austin and in Dallas, and I think fell in love with it as well. You know, I've always been a fan of Texas. I've been going there since one of my best friends in college grew up there to visit. And you know, while I went there for the purpose of real estate, I think I've really stayed there and I love the people, I love the vibe. I love what Austin has to offer. Dallas is totally different, sort of reminds me, you know, Highland Park reminds me of like the Beverly Hills of Texas.
Speaker 1: And autout totally.
Speaker 2: Austin's like a little bit more, you know, the keep Austin weird vibe, and I'm into that as well. So I'm having a ton of fun. And now I actually have a place there.
Speaker 1: Too, so oh you do. Okay, we're in Dallas, in Dallas.
Speaker 2: And up next, but I'm I'm flying in tomorrow to work in Austin for the week. So it's it's it's a great city.
Speaker 1: I have a great real estate agent here if you need to never mind. Yeah, I grew up in Dallas. When I moved back, I still have family in Dallas. I'm four generation Dallas, but I moved to Austin with Lauren to set up her own life, to kind of start a new And you're right, Dallas, Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, and there's other great cities, but kind of the Big Four, if you will, are very different, very different vibes, very different people, cultures, et cetera. And it's kind of fun to kind of travel around and figure out where you fit best. Do you think you'll make the move permanently to finally become a Texan?
Speaker 2: Well, I do have my I've got a sixteen year old daughter and an eighteen year old daughter. So one is off to college and she's actually staying in California, and my other one has a couple of years left of school. And so after Scarlett graduates, depending on where she ends up, I think I'll probably spend a lot more time there.
Speaker 1: I mean, you sound like you sound exactly like us. When our two kids graduated, our son came to TCU, then our daughter went to TCU, which is maybe my favorite city, Fort Worth. If you've never spent time in fort Worth, I'm telling you that is the untapped resource in real estate and in Texas.
Speaker 2: I love for Worth a There's a ton of money in fort Worth. We've got copy listings there that I'm enjoying spending time at. But fort Worth is all so a great city.
Speaker 1: It's it's a world apart from Dallas. I mean, I grew up in Dallas and we never went to Fort Worth. And now my kids have spent so much time there at TCU, I have fallen in love with fort Worth, and I think if I didn't live in Austin, honestly, I would be in fort Worth. It's you, it really is and you got you know, you have the uh, the stockyards to kind of contemporary downtown, so you get it all there. It's a really great vibe. Have you ventured into that real estate market at all?
Speaker 2: I have. We actually have a new listing that is is going to be coming to market soon. So we've been spending quite a bit of time there. And you're seeing some really big numbers in Fort Worth. You're seeing a lot of development come into Fort Worth, like people are spending money. So it's it's a great time to be in Texas from a real estate standpoint, and you know, you know, comparatively to La Chris, you know, we want, you know, pretty expensive real estate here and from a foot standpoint, you know, Texas feels like such a value. But I think the Texas numbers in the next five years, you know, in Austin and Dallas and Fort Worth, especially San Antonio, I think we're going to see a lot of growth. So that for me is a really exciting time because to start seeing things go from fifteen hundred dollars a foot, which was expensive, yeah, to say two thousand a foot. I don't think that Texas thinks it's possible and I'm sort of here to break that.
Speaker 1: I was just out in California and spend a lot of time there, have a lot of love for Cali, even though I left to come back home, and that was always inevitable. I mean, I was definitely urged out when I ended up in a toxic relationship with the state I was living in. I didn't love the things that were taking place. But with that said, it is a wonderful place. It's a beautiful state. But I find it interesting because just you alone, your own book, you said fifty million dollars walked out the door to around Texas, Florida, Nevada. That's where all the money went out of California. If you alone had fifty million dollars walk out the door, I think it's safe to say about a billion dollars left that state over the last three to four years. Absolutely, I don't understand how things aren't changing in the real estate market or are they Is it going to ever drop change? What do you see in the Cali market.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a really complicated time in real estate, particularly in Los Angeles. I mean, Cali is a huge state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's five states in one Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, so many micro markets. But if we're talking about Los Angeles specifically, there's just a lot of politics surrounding the city that are preventing developers from building. We have a new Wildlife Ordinance which will sort of decrease the number of mansions that we can have in Los Angeles, which is where the luxury market in bel Air, Beverly Hills, Brentwood Palisades, so that's where the bulk of the money is, so they're limiting us in terms of what we can build there. Obviously, put the ULA tax on any sales over ten million dollars at five and a half percent. So you're selling your house for twenty million dollars, you're paying five percent in commissions. You're paying five and a half percent on top of that to the City of Los Angeles to solve the homelessness crisis. So that that in and of itself is just kind of crushed the luxury market and sellers are beginning to wrap their heads around it. I think, you know, we were hoping that was going to get overthrown and the Supreme Court of California said no. So there's just there's challenges on top of challenges. In addition, to the crime, and obviously the politics in Los Angeles, there's a lot of people wanting to leave, but they can't afford to. So that's another ledgure to add insult to injury that we're dealing with. And so that's why I'm, you know, having such a good time in Texas because right now all I see is growth. I mean, there's there's incredible growth happening across the state. And so for me, yeah, in the next three plus years, I think I might find myself doing exactly the same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, the tech world has moved to Austin. I mean, you know, AMD is here, and Elon Musk is here with Starlink down in South Padre, and obviously Tesla here in Austin. Toyota is up in Dallas. It's amazing. I definitely want to get to the TV world. But I'm so glad to have you because right now in our political world, and we're not going to talk politics, but one of the big issues right now in our presidential races, we can't buy homes. First time home buyers can't get into homes. So give me your advice for people that are listening right now that want to buy a home. Should we Is this a good time to buy a home or is it still a renter's market? Because look, three four years ago, as you know, average home price was like two hundred and fifteen thousand dollars. It's two x that now, yeah, yeah, And I guess my question is do you jump in now because it's only going to be four x this later? You know, it's a what is your advice on first time home buyers and how do we make it more affordable?
Speaker 2: Well? Number one, I always will say buy now. I mean, you know, I had this conversation, you know, three years ago when we had interest rates at two percent, and people were like, I'm going to wait until, you know, the market slows because at two percent, you know, homes were flying off the market at twenty percent more than where they are today, and no one wanted to buy then because the home prices were so high and it was a hot, hot seller's market. Well now all those people are kicking themselves because now interest rates are you know, six six and a half percent, seven percent, and now they can't afford the flip side of it. And what we're not seeing is prices necessarily adjust back in the other reaction yet, So I'm always going to say get in now, and you don't need to be concerned about buying your forever home. It's just your first investment into the world of real estate. So whether that's a townhouse or a condo or a two hundred and fifty thousand dollars income property for yourself, get in the game because property value will all. It's the greatest asset any single person can possibly have. So whether you start today and you buy your first investment property for a few hundred thousand dollars, in three years from that, pull the equity out and buy your next house, and maybe that's the house that you can see yourself in for the next five years. But there's always going to be growth. And while we're in a down market, you're not going to move your money around perhaps sell, but the more real estate you own is going to give you the ability to have passive income in the future, and you're not going to be killing yourself at seventy five to make ends meet.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more. I think the thing that needs to be adjusted is just what you said, Maybe your sites need to aim a little lower and that no, you're not going to get the four bedroom in the yard for the dog and all that. Maybe it's going to be a two bedroom town home and you got to swallow your pride a little bit and it sucks, but that just gets you in the game. And once you're in the game, you will level up quickly. It's just that that's history. The history repeats itself, and that history has always worked. And I also think, and I hope you agree, it's living and buying and staying within your means. Don't don't reach that four bedroom if you're going to get upside down it if things go wrong, start low and gifts getting the game.
Speaker 2: Get in the game. And for people out there right now that are kind of kicking themselves and they didn't maybe purchase two three years ago and interest rates were lower, that doesn't mean that interest rates aren't going to come down. We obviously are seeing interest rates shift slowly down. So get yourself in an interest only loan. Maybe that's it five and a half to six and a half percent now, and when we start to see the thirty year fixed model come down, then you can transition into that and refinance. But you know, while you have the ability to be competitive in a market that might be a little bit softer, get in the game, and then you finance in two years.
Speaker 1: Because let's say the Fed they're not going to do this. But let's say the FED dropped it to three percent tomorrow, what's going to happen. There's a buying frenzy. Now you're just going to Yeah, now you've got the opposite problem where people can jack up the prices of their home. So it's it's never going to be perfect. You know, you're never going to have that perfect bake, and you know, trying to time the market is My friends in the industry, I always say it's like trying to catch a falling knife. Don't try, You're you're never going to catch it.
Speaker 2: And truthfully, like sitting down, I think first time buyers make the mistake of they go out and they just start looking what can I think I can afford monthly? You really need to sit down with a mortgage broker or a trusted financial advisor or a lender and look at your options, look at your income, look at what you really can afford from a monthly standpoint, and start there because they'll be able to educate you and they'll say what today's rates are and they'll say, this is what you can afford, and don't look beyond that, because you know, with the economy and the roller coaster that we're all on right now, you know, you want to make sure that that mortgage payment, your property taxes, and your insurance are going to be covered every month and then you still have, you know, your money to live. No one wants to be under the gun every single month to be to be paying a mortgage and property taxes and insurance for a condo that they can't afford.
Speaker 1: Great transition, because we've gotten to know and love you as the star of million Dollar Listing and you're absolutely crushing it for some reason, the first female star of this show. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been really fun.
Speaker 1: It has it, And I bet it's been a very interesting time to be doing this show during this market and with all the craziness going on.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Chris, I mean, you know, I've been on the show for six years, and you know I've obviously we a few years ago, I mean, we fifty properties plus that we could put on the show. This is one of those moments where we said, you know, we have an option to either continue to glamorize what it is that we do for a living or to tell the truth. Yeah, and is this was a really difficult year in Los Angeles real estate, particularly in the high end, and all of us were struggling. Josh Flagg struggles, Josh Altman struggles, and I struggle to put deals together that typically we could put together in thirty days and you know, three years ago and you know, get our commission check and move on. So this entire season is you know, is difficult. And we walked through it with you know, our production team at World of Wonder and we were like, this is what it is not you know, some of these listings aren't going closed and that's just the nature of the market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting, and it's a dilemma as a producer. We ran into that on The Bachelor as well, of do we continue to pretend that the people that are the Bachelor Bacherette are perfect, that we have found this perfect human being and now twenty five people have the opportunit unity to marry the perfect person when that's not reality. We're all flawed. These people were very flawed and at times, and so we had that dilemma of do we show a very flawed person, or do we continue to perpetuate this fairy tale? And so you guys have that on steroids right now, and I'm glad to hear that you're going to embrace things are rough right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they really are. And I think that was something that you know, particularly with our show, there are a lot of real estate shows out there, some less focused on you know, more of a real estate backdrop with a little more drama. Ours has always been, you know, real estate first. And I think what we've realized is we're going to if we're going to position ourselves to really talk to people around the country about selling real estate, then we have to be honest about what's happening. And so I believe our show more than most probably attempts to tell that true story. And we shoot this show, Chris, it's ten months. Yeah, we don't shoot for three four months and in and out, like it is a long arduous process to deliver some of these listings so that the viewers can go, Okay, well what happened? Did it close? Or systems will close things and then it falls out, you know, it closes on the show and it's not set to close for sixty days and then it falls apart. So that's just the nature of what we do.
Speaker 1: Were you hesitant at all about getting on the show and being a part of it. Is this really going to help my career? Is this going to completely bury me? You know, because especially when you're dealing in that high end market, you know, non disclosure is a big part of this, Like they want their privacy. So trying to walk that fine line, I'm sure was a difficult moral decision for you.
Speaker 2: It was. I mean I'd been selling real estate when I joined the show for seventeen years, so I had a business that I had built, whereas Josh Flag, for example, sort of grew up on the show. I mean he'd been doing it for fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the show helped create him, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: So when I, you know, got to that place where they were like, you know, we'd love to consider you, you know, you being the first woman on you know, million dollar listing la, I had two young kids, I had been married for you know, thirteen plus years. My family was nervous about it. I was a little bit nervous about the idea that you know a lot of my private clients wouldn't want to be on the show and believe it or not. Once I made the decision to just go for it, I said, look, I'm I'm forty years old. Like if I'm not going to do it, ever, i gotta do it now, Like there's not a lot of time and I need to take that leap of faith and know that I'm a know what I'm doing and be that my clients will trust that if I decide that I want to put them on the show and they're open to that, that I'm going to protect. I'm still going to protect their assets. So that has worked out, and truthfully, there is no better advertising than this television show for what we do for a living.
Speaker 1: As I say, has it helped at the end of the day, it's a value adds.
Speaker 2: It's a huge value add and if it was a different kind of show, I don't think it would be. But I think there are a lot of people that follow the show because they actually are interested in the real estate and what we do, and so for that reason, it's it's been huge for us. And even in Texas, it's been such a great asset for me coming into a brand new state with no experience. In the last three years learning like a bunch of different markets, and then thank god I have this exposure because with all the people that are coming into Texas from you know, Colorado, California, the East Coast, et cetera, they look to me as someone that's like an obvious choice, and that's huge. I wouldn't have that if I didn't have this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be very big, because I mean Texas is very much of take care of there a own and you know, hire from within, but you kind of coming in and taking some of that business. Really, that billboard that you get to walk in with is massive. Would you say that what we're seeing is a good depiction of the real estate business and especially the high end level of real estate.
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely. I mean, you know, there's a lot of personalities, and particularly when you know people are successful and they have money and there's twenty thirty million dollar houses on the line, you know. There, It's it's pretty straightforward. I have some very challenging clients and I wake up every day going, Okay, how am I going to tackle this one? But you know, we we protect our clients as best we can on the show. But it is definitely high drama. Yeah, and you know, you see a lot of that this season. I mean, I have clients, you know, it took me most of the season, most of the year to sell their house, and it's because they didn't listen to me. So they're watching it back right now. And for example, I had something in Laguna Beach and I said, do not list this house over seven million, nine ninety five, and he's like, so eight seven fifty And then we ended up selling it for seven to five because.
Speaker 1: He you know, we could have gotten there six months ago.
Speaker 2: Right, So they all watch it back and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, she was right, Yeah, damn it. What's your biggest all time sell?
Speaker 2: Uh that was a couple of years ago. I sold something for fifty seven million on the west side of Los Angeles, and well, you know, I've had big projects that are north two hundred million. So a little bit of high rise stuff, that's what I'm excited about. Also in Texas there.
Speaker 1: Is a lot of that. Yeah, a lot of it going up in Austin and Dallas.
Speaker 2: Branded residence.
Speaker 1: It's really one of the things that we learned in this last season that you shared you went through a breakup.
Speaker 2: She's back on the market again.
Speaker 1: So she's single.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I am I'm dating because.
Speaker 1: Is that working out?
Speaker 2: Oh god, Chris, it's exhausting. I'm just going to go to bed. I need you know. I'm not cut out for this. But you know what I did, Eric and I broke up. It was about a year ago. Now everybody's kind of just seeing this now for the first time, but it is a year later for me, So no one terribly exciting. But I have met a few gentlemen in Texas who are interesting, So I mean I have to go to Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: At this point, I was going to say, you know, you're working in Texas. You're getting places to stay in Texas. It's hard to beat a good Texas man. I'm just saying, you may want to come fishing in our pond. I think it's going to it's much better.
Speaker 2: I'm really enjoying, like meeting new people, making new friends, not just in a business sense, but I, like I said, in La, I mean dating is rough as you imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went there. I mean that's where I got divorced and where I started dating, and it was it was difficult. I fell in love and married a Midwestern girl.
Speaker 2: See, there you go. I need to find me some Midwest boy or a nice rancher.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I would think that are you on any of the apps dating apps and do any of that stuff?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Chris. So, I was on Riah, which is totally tragic, and everybody on there is a producer. It's crazy town. And then most recently, a friend of mine, Jeff Lewis, had me on his show and he had Jeff, you know Jeff, so Jeff Blackbuddies and Jeff had a dating person on the show, and he's like, will you stay? And I said sure, I need some tips. So him and I are both recently single. So she's told us that we're not exposing our enough and that we needed to throw the net wider. And so she told me that I needed to get on Bumble and Jeff got on Hinge and so for the last week and a half, I have been on Bumble. I don't think I sent my preferences correctly. Okay, sixteen hundred people in my inbox, and I was like, this is too much.
Speaker 1: It's overwhelming, this is overwhelming. It's look, it's and I get I get what that person is saying, but I also because I have been in your shoes. I understand. It's like you you get divorced, you break up, and you have two kids, so you're taking care of your kids. I know, you have one in college, one in high school still you know mine, we're still both in school at the time. But you're still dealing with all that, and you're living your life and you're trying to sell houses and yeah, you don't have a lot of time, so you do you got to make specific time to really dive into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm I'm listen. I carve out some time to you know, have dinner or meet someone for a coffee or whatever. But I am super busy, and so it's I thought, you know, maybe dating someone outside of the state, whether it was Texas or somewhere else, would be a good thing. But I'm recognizing pretty quickly when am I seeing you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're not full time in Texas, you're not full time in La. Yeah. What about age range do you have? You know, will you date younger again?
Speaker 2: Not that yet. I mean I'm really would like to have someone in their forties or early fifties. You know, I'm forty nine, so I'm like one year away from big five. Oh, I have to like start getting serious.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to the club. It's wonderful, the water is warm, come on in.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with it. I just feel like at this point I need to be thinking about my future. Eric was way too young. We were together for three and a half years, and it was Eric. He's twenty nine. Okay, yeah, so you know it was COVID And now I'm like, we all did.
Speaker 1: Crazy things during COVID, crazy things.
Speaker 2: But now I really do I want to find someone that's, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Tracy, I'm going to say definitely not in their twenties. They would have to be very dynamic to even be in their thirties. You don't need a chew toy. You don't need a chew toy. You need an adult.
Speaker 2: I need an adult. I need someone that's like, been there, done, that has a career. If they have kids, wonderful. There'll be no more children coming out of me anytime soon, so I just we need to be on the same page.
Speaker 1: Find you a grown ass man.
Speaker 2: Nice, thank you. I'm working on.
Speaker 1: It, but you know this is I'm pretty good at this. So I'll start keeping my eyes open in Texas, eyes.
Speaker 2: Open or that or I'm going to have to do like the Golden Bachelorette.
Speaker 1: Soon we'll have to Hey, come to town. Well you know, I'm on Merritt Street now with doctor Phil. We have a new network. We'll just create a show around you. I can't Let's do it Million Dollar Love. Yeah, oh god, we sell houses and find you love that. By the way, this is a good show. I like we just came up with right now, let's do let's let's do this.
Speaker 2: I trust you, Chris. I feel like you could find me someone.
Speaker 1: I am up there a lot between Fourth and Dallas. There are some great guys. I think you'll find dating in Texas a little easier on the palette. But yeah, we just can't go. Yeah, we can't go. We can't go in the twenties again.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we're done with that. Not even the thirties.
Speaker 1: No, it really no offense to people in their thirties. But you're still just not you're not fully baked yet as someone in their fifties. I it was in my forties when I realized, Okay, I think the cake is done. I'm actually fully baked now. Yeah, yeah, we're slower to it than you guys.
Speaker 2: Are Yeah, you guys are, but you know, still worth it.
Speaker 1: What's the future for the show? Where do you see this going?
Speaker 2: Well, we're about to let's see, we're about to have the season finale this week, which is exciting. We've had a really great year. The show has been really well received by the fans. This year, we're trying to give you guys a little bit of a peak, you know, more into our personal lives. Obviously, you know, me sharing my breakup was yeah, was pretty intense this season for us. You know, hopefully we have another season. I guess we're going to find out soon.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, there's going to be another season. The show is huge, it's amazing, and you've been a huge part of that success. And I it's I do. I do appreciate the fact that because it is a very good show, but I like that they're kind of dropping the curtain a little bit. We're seeing behind that more and more, whether it's personal lives, the reality behind real estate, what's going on, because we're all feeling it and these are real things that we have trepidation about, and it's we want to watch these shows for entertainment, but also for a little bit of the reality of like what's going on, and you guys kind of try to walk that line very delicately, and you do a good job.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I really appreciate that. You know, who knows, maybe there might be a new show in Texas.
Speaker 1: I like that. I can, we can, we I we can. We can take care of that. Tracy. Thank you so much. I appreciate you. First of all, it's great to talk to you and continue success in life, love with the kids, real estate, all of it. I have no worries about you. Something tells me you're gonna do just fine, let's hope. So just be careful on the apps.
Speaker 2: Oh I think I got a sign off. I think too much.
Speaker 1: It's so much Tracy Tutor million dollar listing. And obviously you can find what's your handle on Insta because I know.
Speaker 2: I call you at Tracy Tutor, so.
Speaker 1: Look her up on a Tracy Tutor as well. Tracy is good talking to you. Hopefully I'll see you around the Lone Star States soon.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm coming tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Perfect weather is great, You're gonna love it perfect this week.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, Tracy, take care.
Speaker 2: Take care, honey, bye bye.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.