Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Wednesday. The Great Jim Nance will join us coming up. He just called his five hundredth NFL game if you include the postseason, so he's working on five oh one. It'll be the Ravens and the Bills coming up this weekend, so we'll talk to him. Robert Griffin Junior the third. We'll stop by a little bit later on as well. Phone calls Always welcome. Tyler sitting by waiting for your phone calls. Eight seven to seven three. DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. Make sure you check out our YouTube channel. You can watch the program on peacock. Thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Quiet day so far for the NFL openings. Mike McCarthy is interviewing with Chicago today. I know that that's not a sexy name, but I have to look at the resume of the coach coming in. I know we can go. Hey, Ben Johnson would be great. Okay, you think he would be great as an offensive coordinator. He has been great. He's done a wonderful job with Detroit. Running a team is different than being a coordinator. In fact, you have to have sort of CEO responsibilities capabilities. I don't know if Ben Johnson is that kind of guy, but as a coordinator, he's been wonderful. We've seen this happen where somebody gets promoted and you're like, all right, this is your opportunity. Now you've got to run a team. Now you've got to take care of the offense and the defense, special teams, the owner, GM, the draft, all of this stuff. Whereas before when you're a coordinator, you're just like, let me go into my lab here and all of a sudden, I just prep this. This is all I got to do. Got to make sure Jared Goff is ready to go with the game plan, and that's it. I'll leave the press conferences to Dan Campbell. Mike McCarthy has been in this job for a long time, and as I mentioned, you know, I think it's eleven seasons where he's won at least ten games. That's a track record here. Now you might say, all right, he had good quarterbacks, he should have won more in Green Bay. He didn't win the big games. And I know there's negatives all around with Mike got a Super Bowl, Yeah, the only one one Super Bowl. If I look at the list as I did yesterday, the coaches who were on that list, of those who have won at least ten games in at least eleven seasons, he's up there. They're all Hall of famers. You know Schulan, Belichick did it twenty times. You know Tom Landry's on there. You know there's great coaches on there. I think all of them, except for maybe Marty Schottenheimer, are not Hall of Famers. I think that's the list that we saw yesterday. So the Bears, and once again I want to bring in now the Bears are bringing in too many people, like they probably have a hard time keeping track of. You know, that guy's coming in and that guy's leaving. You imagine if you show up in the parking lot and your guy like, go, hey, how are you hey, Mike, how are you there? I think pretty well, Hey, Pete Carroll, Hey, Mike McCarthy, Hey, good to see you. Good luck. But they have to wait for Ben Johnson, and I mean the Jets situation as well. Aaron Glenn is he going to get that job? I was told that Rex Ryan is not getting that job. Rex, Rex keeps my talking trash. That is a huge mistake. Wow, a huge mistake. I would I would hire Rex Ryan if I'm the Jets, I would just purely for the entertainment value of this.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the Jets would be any better, but damn would they be entertaining? And he would embrace the entertainment right. Robert Sala was trying to like, give me your phone, somebody's leaking this information here. Rex would be like, yeah, you know what, come on in here, all my coaches and employees. We're going to go around the room and see who's leaking information. I can make it a TV a reality show. Have fun with it. Let's go at least make it entertaining. The product on the field isn't Rex would make it entertaining. Yes, Yes, done.
Speaker 4: And he recently said he looked forward to beating up on coach Rabel twice a year.
Speaker 3: Was a matter of days ago.
Speaker 2: I know, he said beating up on his team, not on Mike Bravel, which was a great clarification on his part. Huge mistake. Yeah, Rex wants the job, like I don't know how many coaches want that situation there. Rex is like, hey, I want it. I want to go after these guys. Well, let's go hire me. But I think Aaron Glenn is probably the guy who gets that job. And he's done a great job in Detroit. Once again, you're a great coordinator. Now all of a sudden, you got to I mean you're dealing with all kinds of things, things that you never thought you'd be thinking of or have to, you know, deal with, and you do because you're the head coach of a team. Eight seven seven three DP show. We'll get to your phone calls coming up. Let's recap our ones, poll question Seaton, and then what are we going to go with an hour or two? We got a couple up there.
Speaker 5: Tom Brady being an NFL broadcaster and owner is a conflict of interest or no big deal?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 5: Sixty seven percent have that as a conflict of interest. We also have up there which fan base would suffer more if they lost the Super Bowl? The Buffalo Bill's or the Detroit Lions. Bill's running away with that one at eighty Yeah, massive.
Speaker 2: I did think that, though, I mean I don't like thinking that way, but I did think that if and I'm looking at the DraftKings odds of the best super Bowl matchups, and the favorite right now is the Chiefs Lions, which is obvious. Then followed by the Chiefs Eagles, Raven Lions, and then it's the Bills and the Lions. And if you were saying I could pick a super Bowl matchup, I would say the Bills and the Lions because one fan base is going to get a Super Bowl win. And I know that the Lions they haven't really done anything, haven't been competitive. But like the Cubs in the Indians, the Cleveland Indians, they somebody was going to win, long suffering, somebody was going to win, and the Chicago Cubs got their win. Cleveland is still looking for for it's But if you're going to have that matchup, you know, as an innocent bystander, that would be the one that I think would be wonderful. All right, Poll question for hour two is going to be watched.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we actually put up there too, something that's kind of funny. What food or drink from your childhood would you absolutely not drink now? And then we also have with the one that you would drink currently or eat. It is a ton a ton of responses but nothing. Really, It's all a million different things. Fluffer Nutter is coming up a lot as something people absolutely would eat or something people absolutely would not eat.
Speaker 2: Let's do would not because I brought this up that I went to the shopping a supermarket and I walked down the aisle when I saw the Nesley's Strawberry Quick, and I said to my wife, I think I want that, and she goes, why. I said, I don't know. I haven't had forty years. Yes, I said, I don't know, but I'm gonna have it. Got up this morning and I had a glass, put it in the milk, stirred it around, and I said, you know what, I'm gonna have another glass today. I'm feeling crazy. My wife goes, okay, So I got Strawberry Quick and I haven't had it in forty years. It didn't taste that good. It tasted that great, so tomorrow even more Nesley's Quick Strawberry. Is there something that you used to drink that there's no way you would drink now when you were growing up, Like I would say mountain dew, like I I remember, you know, you're just basically pouring cavities down your throat. There it's like, oh, this is awesome.
Speaker 3: You gotta get peppy.
Speaker 2: You meet me out Todd.
Speaker 4: Now what it's bright green and you could use it as a lantern at night, it doesn't matter if for.
Speaker 2: Closing, then you could use it for ana freeze. But I remember mountain dew and they're like yeah, and then you'd be wired.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paulie, I would say, when I was a kid, you had the same thing, Dan and your lunch going to school, the plain baloney sandwich, one slice of baloney. If someone offered me a blowny sandwich, not good like cooked blooney, but that processed stuff, I would completely pass.
Speaker 2: I can't eat blooney sandwiches now. No, like you could pile it on and I don't want it. It's like meatloaf. Went to a restaurant last night with my wife, No, and it had meat loaf and I my wife goes, I'm going to get the meat loaf, and I said, good because I won't. I'm scarred from my childhood with meat loaf. Can't do it, can't do it. See and you got something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love meat loaf.
Speaker 2: Did then do to this day?
Speaker 5: And if it was a fried blooney sandwich I would crush too easy easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but okay, I've said this before. I swear on my mother's life. I could hold up the slice of blooney that was on my sandwich when I was going to school. You could see through it. It's not funny toime.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. Childhood, I was so hungry by one It's terrible. But you should have had got you slices.
Speaker 2: At least you got a slice of American cheese. You got mustard. My mom would put water in the ketchup bottle and swirl it around to make it go long.
Speaker 6: Apart watering down the drink bottles.
Speaker 2: It just it was not good. My parents, God love them, they rest in peace. They did their best. But there are just certain things where that slice of bologney was not a slice. It was like a sliver of bologny, but you could see through it. Oh, scarred forever, Marvin. You grew up with a silver spoon in your mouth, so you probably had anything you.
Speaker 7: Wanted relative to the people in my neighborhood. Yes, for sure, Move peasants. Move Hawaiian punch. You can't drink it now, I can't. I got Type ten diabetes as a kid.
Speaker 3: No thank you.
Speaker 6: I didn't know there's ten types.
Speaker 2: If there are. Fritzi's had it too.
Speaker 3: And I think my stuff at like four Hawaiian punch. I had that a few months ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not good.
Speaker 3: Fruits, juicy red about a nice Hawaiian punch.
Speaker 2: No, I remember going to a fraternity party and that wine punch and grain alcohol for the kids. You can you can imagine how that ended up.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's another thing I won't drink.
Speaker 7: So, I don't know if you guys remember there used to be just be a gallon of this thing called drink, and it was literally just sugar water in food color. So you just get a big gallon of like we would call it ghetto juice and it would just be like, oh purple. It just be a big gallon of just sugar water and food color and that's all. Well, drink it. Yep, Hey, get that big red bottle to drink. Okay, ma grab it. And it was only like ninety nine cents and you get what you pay for.
Speaker 2: So was it was like a less glamorized kool aid?
Speaker 7: Yes, it was a poor version of kool aid. Yes, called drink. It had no label on it, no nothing, I don't even know.
Speaker 3: There was a brand.
Speaker 2: It was contraband right.
Speaker 7: It was almost like the uh, the imitation frosted Flakes with Terry the Tiger.
Speaker 6: He's down on his left brother Terry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and handling Terry the Tiger.
Speaker 2: Welcome to hour two on this Wednesday, we'll talk to Jim nance he'll join us. Coming up. Curtis in Illinois. Hi, Curtis, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 8: Warner DP?
Speaker 2: I got some Danette related rhyme times for you.
Speaker 9: And since I don't really know how to make fun of Seat and they'll start off with the softball on him but leg muscle Seatan's best.
Speaker 2: Attribute calf laugh ding ding, fuzzy vision. Todd's speech blurry, slurry, blurred.
Speaker 10: Slurred, nailed it.
Speaker 3: Guys are killing young Deer, Marvin's.
Speaker 9: Dad, Young deer Marvin's dad, Buck sucks, fawn gone gone soon. Todd job title and Todd's prom date booker.
Speaker 2: Hooker, booker hooker hooker nailed it last one he didn't powder layer of a sandwich and Paul's dad.
Speaker 6: Brad Dad nailed it.
Speaker 8: Soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Curtis, clever slash morbid.
Speaker 3: I don't know where we go with it.
Speaker 6: Ye, bread Dad, I don't pay for it. I don't pay for women anymore.
Speaker 3: By the way, just wanted to clap.
Speaker 2: You took one to lunch, right.
Speaker 3: I took a dancer to lunch.
Speaker 6: Adult film star.
Speaker 8: He became an.
Speaker 4: Adult film star after I took out to a very expensive sushi lunch.
Speaker 2: Sushi.
Speaker 4: I met her at some at a bachelor party where she was very occupied by other men, and I was, you know, just kind of watching a lot of things I'd never thought i'd ever see in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: But I ended up chatting it up with.
Speaker 6: Aching women and women.
Speaker 4: It was a very expensive lunch in Santa Monica, and then all of a sudden she got a pager and she had to go meet somebody in a hotel.
Speaker 2: Do you imagine that todd Is? You know, he's striking up a conversation with her at a bachelor party. So how long did it take you to get here? What do you drive? What kind of gas violence?
Speaker 3: She got?
Speaker 7: Yes, Marmon, did Fritzy go with the regular? You don't have to live like this anymore. I can take you away from here.
Speaker 1: We'll give up your.
Speaker 3: Drinks to be a veterinarian. You could go back to school. Figures up there.
Speaker 2: They're always they're always going to med school, always always. Why is it My doctors never looked like these dancers. They all went to med school. I never see them.
Speaker 3: I was gonna be a CPA, and now I'm on the pole. I don't get it how this happened to me.
Speaker 2: But you could see Todd going. I could take you away from this life. I could give you a better life. Here, take my hand hold on. I'm being called. I have a porno scene to shoot.
Speaker 6: I'll be welcome, be right back.
Speaker 2: I've said the restaurant waiting tell you for hours, Jay, I have another Mountain dew please.
Speaker 3: I made it rain and everything, and you won't talk to me. Where's you're going? No money left in my pocket?
Speaker 2: All right, let's clean it up. We've got Jim nance who's going to do Yeah, Jim's Jim's a professional. Jim is a professional. Robert Griffin Junior the third coming up next hour. We'll talk to Jim Nantz next here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. Catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. He be on the call. Ravens Bills with Tony Romo coming up in the AFC Divisional playoff game, kick off at six thirty Easter and on CBS. Hello friend, how are you hello?
Speaker 8: Friend?
Speaker 12: Listen forget about five hundred. I'm excited about five h one. All that fanfare behind me, thankfully. It's been a dream journey to this point, and they get better every week. Buffalo hosting Baltimore this week it's five oh one. I can't wait to get there and I'm as always tickle to be on with you leading up to it.
Speaker 2: More to gain in your opinion, Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson in this.
Speaker 12: Game, and you're going to be talking individual accolades here, and I can tell you that knowing both of them well enough to know this is all about trying to get to the Super Bowl for them. So if you say Josh has more to gain, it's only through the lens of getting to a super Bowl for him. You know he's going to be happy with whatever it takes to get there and try to return that franchise for the first time in thirty some odd years. But then you got Lamaro's had his best year ever doing just jaw dropping things as well, but he wants to get to a super Bowl. So that's a tough question to answer because they both feel like this is the year, and I could give you a pretty compelling argument why I think either one of them are very capable of winning the Super Bowl this year.
Speaker 2: What was it like? Who was jim nant? Game number one of the five hundred?
Speaker 12: It was Vinnie Testa Verdi and the Tampa Bay Bucks at Chris Chandler in the Indianapolis Colts. The great Pat Hayden was with me on the call. It was October of nineteen eighty eight. I was a studio host for our college football's scoreboard show back in those days, the Prudential College Football Report. I worked in the studio in New York on Saturday, parachuted in for the game on Sunday, doing all my production meetings and all of that research by phone. I didn't have the full treatment as you will on most occasions getting ready for a game. The night that I flew in after hosting the studio show was a night that Kurt Gibson hit the home run in the World Series. And you remember the Jack buck call on the home run. I can't believe what I just saw. I can't believe what I just saw. Well, last week was number five hundred. As I looked back at the scope of it all and the good fortune I've had to be at so many big games in my career, I could truly say, just like it was uttered that very first weekend for me.
Speaker 8: I can't believe what I just saw.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you had announcer envy?
Speaker 12: I mean, all the time. You know me well enough to know that maybe I'll look at things differently. I admire so many people our industry. I know it's a competitive business. I've never felt like it from that viewpoint. I admire so many people that I hear and listen to. I was watching TGL last night and listen to Matt Barry calling golf. I knew he's a golf guy. I don't know Matt really barely at all, but I was admiring what a good job he did. You know, it's a tough situation there in a made up environment with golf into a simulator. But it's all the time. You know, my deep respect for those that came before me and you know that like the elder Statesman for me now is is Al Michaels. And you know, listening to Al do a game last week, I just love hearing his cadence's voice. He's been such a magnificent friend in my life, someone to look up to and still a kick every time I talked to him, which is frequently.
Speaker 8: But the other thing that was brought to light.
Speaker 12: Last week on the five hundred Dan was that and CBS has this history with the league where the original network partner of the NFL, and go back to the fifties, think Alan Amichi, think of that game Giants in the Baltimore Folts, and that was you know, Chris Shenko back then. But you look at people that actually called games play by play at CBS at some point in their careers, includes Al Michaels. Al started at Bob Costas was a play by play announcer for a year or two before he went to DC, but Summer all Lundquist in Bird the last ten years of his career. Kirk Goudy ended his career at CBS. This is a dangerous game, by the way, because you start going through all the Jim McKay did games for CBS on the NFL, Jack Whittaker, of course, Ray Scott, Frank Difford. I mean it is a you know, Dick Stockton. People don't realize he called the second most NFL games of all time, had a great Hall of Fame career. Frank Glieber again a name that's forgotten, but he was a long time number two behind Pat. I felt a little bit of I felt connected to them. Last week, I was the first to reach five hundred games play by play. Now it was surprising. Somebody did the research on it.
Speaker 8: Pat.
Speaker 12: Some are all did seven hundred games in his career. Some of them were at Fox, most of them were at CBS, but some of them were as an analyst.
Speaker 8: When we were young kids.
Speaker 12: So his play by play numbers at CBS never reached five hundred, and I just felt honored to take the torch and try to run with it instead a new mark, and then, you know what, I.
Speaker 8: Had enough of it. It's been discussed.
Speaker 12: I'm honored and plattered given the chance, and I'm ready to go do five oh one this week, five oh two next week, and put the fanfare behind me and go watch some great games.
Speaker 2: Is there an emergency plan? I don't want to jinx you guys. An emergency plan if you're not able to do the.
Speaker 8: Game at the Super Bowl, there is.
Speaker 12: I've never seen an emergency plan put in place in advance of that.
Speaker 8: But we're worrying, Wartz. Those of us.
Speaker 12: Who make are living with our voices. And you know, when I've worked as many weeks in a year as I have for thirty seven years, I was working coast of forty eight weeks a year between college basketball, the NFL, and golf. So of course you're going to have your battles along the way with a cold or the flu, and how are you going to get through it? You know, you worry yourself about being around anyone who is sick. My little boy and I have a young son, Jamison. He had the sniffles last night. He said he had a sore throat. I mean, it's just had all the guard rails up, still trying to interact, put them to bed, say his prayers, sing a nighttime song, and thankfully felt better this morning. But I started to do the map on it. Two days from now, I could have whatever he's starting to come down with, and I'm going to go into this weekend compromise, but we we do.
Speaker 8: We do find a way to survive it.
Speaker 12: Anything that's you know, short of laryngitis, we're pretty much gonna tough en out. I could hear in Troy Aikman's voice the other night. I could hear something was going on with him. There was a hoarseness that I know. He wasn't one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: He's jim Nantz, the Hall of Famer. He'll be on the call five oh one. Don't bring up five hundred to him. It's the Ravens and the Bills. The AFC Divisional playoffs. Go back to the last time the Super Bowl was in New Orleans, and when you first got an inkling that there was an issue with the power outage, he did.
Speaker 8: I got a of it to your brother. You come up with the best questions. It's just no one, no one like you.
Speaker 12: So obviously I'm not ready for that answer if I wanted to really give it a thought. But it's just easy, okay. I was there with Phil Simms. It was like nine thirty eight to go in the third quarter. The Ravens had the football at roughly their own forty three yard line, and there was a black o handoff, and there was a run up the middle, and all of a sudden, all my monitors went this black, complete dark, and in my headset, I can't hear me finishing the call. I was in the middle of a call, so I just thought there was a power surge in the booth. But you know, right after that, of course, in a millisecon, you realize the lights are out, the whole thing's coming down, the whole broadcast is probably off the air. I mean it took you had to do some quick processing about what was happening. So I have no link to the truck. I can't hear from the producers. I don't have any visual cues. We're all in the dark, figuratively and literally. But my cell phone was working, so I called Lance Berrow, our producer in the truck, and that was a dumb thing to do because he was just as I'm sure it is, more in the center of the storm than I was. But he didn't pick up. But I was trying to just Hey, what's going on? And then I thought, let me call Melissa. You guys all know Melissa. She's been my chief of staff or quarter of a century. And I called her cell phone and said, what in the world is happening right now? And she explained that we were knocked off the air. You know, you had all kinds of really not so good thoughts at that point. This is twenty thirteen. You know you're wondering, is it a terrorist attack? You hate to even say it, but you don't know what it is. And as you know, it took thirty five minutes before everything was restored in that over out or really what was a compelling game right down to the wire. People forget San Francisco had four plays inside the ten yard line in the last minute to try to win the game. Four incompletions, Kaepernick on three of them to Michael Crabtree, all defended and incomplete. It was a game that was in the thirties. It was a one score game, and no one remembers that. All they remember is the night the lights went out in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: I also remember Steve Tasker being pressed into service as sort of the guy on duty. He was like the night watchman and his microphone was working and he kind of was hosting the Super Bowl.
Speaker 8: We could not find well.
Speaker 12: First off, the studio show is in one of those collapsible sets. That takes four or five minutes to get it standing, and and all the crew were hurriedly getting into place. But you were looking for someone to be able to be on mic and to help carry the moment. And Phil and I had no line of communication. We're still out and Steve, Steve filled in brilliantly.
Speaker 2: You got paid for a full game, though, didn't you.
Speaker 12: You know I should go back and look at it. But can't I tell you a secret. Honestly, I would pay to do the game. That's the dirty little secret. I could say it now that I've got a long term contract, and I'm you know what, I've always been forthright about it.
Speaker 8: I would do.
Speaker 2: All of this for free, Romo said.
Speaker 12: I mean, as long as I could have a house and be able to provide for my kids and everything.
Speaker 8: It's never what it's about.
Speaker 12: It's about, well, partly, it's about fulfilling a big part of it, fulfilling the childhood dream to be a voice, not to be the story, but to be the story teller and be able to attend these events.
Speaker 8: And you know, it's it's all. It's all a gift. It's about legacy too, Dan.
Speaker 12: That's why when I look at happening sometimes in sport. Let's take what's going on in golf, and some have left the PGA tour. I'm not going to get deeply into all that, but you have to make a legacy decision at some point. You know, you've been blessed enough to be given the chance, and you probably made a few bucks along the way. What is it really about for you? Well, it's about being able to say that you've lived out your dream and this is what you did. It's about legacy, and that's how I feel about it now that I'm reaching these certain milestones. They come a little bit more frequently with long devity.
Speaker 8: That's for sure. These days.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Tony Romo get his thoughts. Tony Jim says that he would work for free. How about you, would you work for free?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, Tony, I'm certainly made enough money all this time away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I.
Speaker 5: Can provide for myself in about thirty seven thousand other families.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I think I would.
Speaker 12: Okay, it's great to get Tony engaged in the show right now.
Speaker 8: He's my guy.
Speaker 2: I love it, tell totally. Now, if Romo can't do it, Seaton, I think could be his understudy.
Speaker 6: I don't know what am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: You want to run it here, you want to.
Speaker 6: Be what would you do?
Speaker 8: Date? Why don't you make way up to uh the bullpeny by guy?
Speaker 2: I'd love it. I'd love it.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you look back, though, can you extract one moment that that would stand alone over everything else that you've done. When you speak a legacy, one moment, whether it's football, basketball, or dolphin.
Speaker 12: You're talking about one event, one game call, or one thing that I had be it. Well, the most special thing of all will always be April twelfth, nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 8: Nothing it ever topped that for me.
Speaker 12: Well, I get there is one thing I don't get to that maybe in a second here, But that was when my old dorm sweet mate at the University of Houston Bread Couples, won the Masters. We used to have these crazy dreams that one day he was going to win the Masters. That was all about legacy for him. That was his life goal. And of course by this time, first day I show up on campus, I make the declaration that one day I want to work for CBS, Like that's going to happen. Fortunately it did. Blessedly it did for me. But his dream was to win the Masters. My dream was to one day broadcast the Masters, and I also wanted the broadcasts for CBS because I love the way they presented the NFL raised on a heavy diet of let's say, summer all in Brookshire, summer all in Madden. So in our dorm room, you know the story, Dan, not every day, but on a couple of occasions, along with Blaine McCallister, our great roommate, who had a spectacular career, won five times on the tour himself, we used to practice the Green Jackets ceremony, just kids make believe, dreaming, just imagining somethingy, opening up your mind what that moment could be like. And I'm sitting there in a dorm room, room one oh one, Tom Hall Taub. It's now been raised, but there we are. Fred's sitting across from me, and we're doing an imaginary interview. He's just won the Masters, and I'm hosting the presentation. So in nineteen ninety two, that actually happened, except we weren't in dorm room. We were in Butler Cabin and the world was watching. So how do you beat that? There's only one way that that could ever be better for me, and that is that's when my son Jamison wins the Masters and he comes in the Butler cabin and I say hello son and goodbye friends.
Speaker 8: That will be it. That's the last show not to walk off.
Speaker 12: But I mean, that's how outrageous it would have to be in a better that moment for me. But other than that, listen, last year's Super Bowl, you know, went three seconds shy of five full quarters. The most watched television show in the history of American television by a lot, not by like one percent, by twelve percent. Two hundred and three million Americans watched it one time. Normally I don't even care about that, But now that we were walking around with the belt, the Championship belt, I'm making believe here now it was a great game, the broadcast. Thankfully for our production team, it won the Emmy. So proud of the thousand people that presented that that day and in all those years of doing the End Tournament, there are just too many to isolate and back at that little place in Augusta, Georgia, Tiger nineteen ninety seven, a win for the Ages pass forward to twenty nineteen, this scene plays out again, the return to glory, and Tiger is walking off the green and he's hugging Charlie, his son. It's a perfect and perfect symmetry with the scene we had seen twenty two years before, when Tiger walked off the green breaking all the records in the history of augusta youngest champion, largest margin of victory, the seventy two hole scoring record, the youngest ever. And there was Earl, his dad. If you gpsed it, I would say that it happened on the exact same spot. Earl hugged Tiger. Twenty two years later, Tiger hugs Charlie. It went from a father to a son, and now the son's the father and he's having the same moment with his son. If you're in the storytelling business, it's about as rich as it gets, about as high drama as it gets. You know, thankfully we're on camera, because you know there are shedding a few silent tears along the way, is all that's happening. If you have a heartbeat, you realize the gravity of that moment.
Speaker 2: Great to reminisce.
Speaker 8: I love reminiscing with you. You know I'm wearing something here.
Speaker 12: I just I know they've got a lot going on out there, But this is Bellair Country Club's Shields, okay, and Owl's a part of that. I've been fortunate to be a part of that club for a long time as a member. We have a lot of our families out there that have.
Speaker 8: Lost their homes. It's it's it's a lot.
Speaker 12: It's there are many many unfortunately lived in the Palisades and what's going on in LA. I don't want the story to just we get numb to things like this. These areamilies, these are people lives. We're but the twenty six is the death toll now. And I'm just, as I said signing off on Sunday from Buffalo after the Buffalo Denver game, LA, we're thinking of you, we're praying for you, and really tough times. So we're out here talking fun and games. That's real life. And people's whole entire lives have been uprooted life savings, you know, starting from scratch in the middle of their lives and maybe later in their business careers whatever. It's all gone. And it's not just a because it's three days and retired to the story. Let's move on to something else. It's real and I'm just thinking of all my families out there that I know, many of whom you would know, Dan, and it's just indescribable.
Speaker 2: Have fun this weekend. Thanks for joining us. As always, I'm.
Speaker 12: Coming to see you the summer. By the way you I mean on your door up there? Whoa Okay, I know where you are. Now do you want to come in for a meet Friday.
Speaker 8: Into that studio right there?
Speaker 2: Well, this is made now, that's what.
Speaker 8: I'm talking about. I'm going to make it this summer. Okay.
Speaker 2: Well it's not Butler's cabin, it's Danny's cabin. But we'd love to have you. That's awesome.
Speaker 8: I don't need to be on the air.
Speaker 12: If you need an emergency, you talk about emergency fill in. If maybe a guest doesn't show up, I'll pop on for five minutes. But I'd like to see the studio. But better than that, I'd like to go out and have a lunch with you afterwards, so I'll find you.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Thank you, Thanks Dan, all the best you But that's Jim NaN's Hall of Famer. Take a break. We'll play in or out after this. Robert Griffin third will stop by as well.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I was going to do are you in or Out? Can't wait, Dad, but I'm I'm gonna push it to the top of the hour. Wow, I think we need a little more breathing room for in or out?
Speaker 6: So I should take it as a compliment.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that top of the hour will do are you in or out? Like, give us a for instance, just to let that audience know at the top of the hour, you're gonna want to stay with us.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'll give you one.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 6: Mike McCarthy is closer to a Super Bowl today than he was a week.
Speaker 2: Ago, Todd, are you in or out?
Speaker 12: In?
Speaker 6: He's eaten. He's teamless though, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm extremely out. Marvin, I'm out. I'm gonna be out because he's not in. He doesn't have a team. But I would say.
Speaker 6: He's out of the situation that felt like a groundhog day.
Speaker 2: But he had a better chance of winning a Super Bowl with the Cowboys than not coaching a team currently in the NFL.
Speaker 6: That's technically correct. I looked it up. If you're not coaching a team, you cannot win the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: He probably has a better chance of winning the super Bowl in Dallas than he does of any of the remaining teams that are looking for coaches.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it is.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you plug him into Jacksonville like whoa super Bowl contender?
Speaker 6: Question mark?
Speaker 2: Probably not? Okay, more of that coming up top of the hour. It is are you in or are you out? Rapid Radios the official walkie talkie of the DP show instant pushed to talk, offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever. Business owners keep in touch with up to two hundred staff members at one time. Go to Rapid Radios dot com for sixty percent off and free shipping ray in New York. Hirae, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: First time? Long time? First of all that we see sixty to fifteen. Also also DDC, DMC DDC carrying all the flags for that. You had talked about your strawberry quick.
Speaker 10: I had a same thing, but as the adult version. If you ever try tequila rose, it's like a strawberry click. But for adults, so you would enjoy that a little better.
Speaker 8: I'll thank you. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't need alcohol in my strawberry quick, right, I just have alcohol. I don't need to have dress it up with strawberry quick.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, Tequila rose is a strawberry cream tequila drink.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, that doesn't sound good.
Speaker 3: You're out.
Speaker 2: Bob and Montana sent me Elvis bourbon or something that was peanut butter and banana.
Speaker 5: I don't need that because that's he used to eat those sandwiches, right, peanut butter and banana sandwich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't need those.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And it made you all shook up after you had that.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, put on your bluetheit tooth and walk on down to bop hop and say, hey, I don't want this stuff. You got another one time?
Speaker 3: Sell it at the Heartbreak Hotel. You get like if you get anything else that think that's good.
Speaker 2: That's it. Those those are the only Elvis songs you know.
Speaker 3: The Jailhouse Rock. But I didn't have a clever line for that.
Speaker 2: You did to get so just don't be cruel, and his MoMA cry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't be cruel, Give it another chance and help fall in love with this stuff.
Speaker 2: No, you can't take what seat?
Speaker 3: And I was just jumping on that. I've been known to do that once it all.
Speaker 2: It's called stealing. Is on the way, Robert Rounder, Sure, dinner the third next