Speaker 1: So I made a short cut on my mom's phone, so every time she types dirty clothes, it says acid. Do you have any acid? Acid?
Speaker 2: Acid?
Speaker 1: Acid? Acid? Mom? Acid. I'm not meaning to say acid. I mean acid. No, not acid, acid acid, Mackenzie, I'm not meaning to say acid, I mean acid. What the hell athid? Mom, Mackenzie acid. Come here and help me figure out why it's saying acid. I'm trying to say acid, but it's saying apid.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Sweel and welcome to the Nodong's podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Tuesday, October seventeenth, twenty twenty three. I'm Jisk. It's here in the class Factory, and to my left it's the Bearded one Matatsha hop boy, Trey Kirby el Hey over yonder the man making the magic happens, super producer GD there is and here we are. Shout out to the stream team joining us live right now on YouTube. Smash that like button and make sure you subscribe as we slowly inch our way to one hundred thousand subs. After you're done with today's classic, make sure you fire up yesterday's Eastern Conference over under Podcasts, where Trey and I went through all fifteen Eastern Conference team, looked at their overwind totals and locked in a few of our favorite bets.
Speaker 2: You're gretting anything from yesterday, every single one nice all of.
Speaker 3: Today's win totals just like yesterday by way of bet MGM. Before we get into it, Hollinger had an article up on The Athletic Go to the Athletic dot com slash nod Downes, get yourself a subscription. He made a good point about the Western Conference. He said, quote, there are at least eleven teams legitimately aspiring to make the playoffs this year. Three of them are gonna end up in the draft lottery, and even the bottom looked stronger. Last season. Houston and San Antonio both lost sixty games, but the Rockets completely overhauled their roster and the Spurs got Wemby. There's a lot of truth to that, because I looked at the lines here. There are nine teams in the Western Conference that have over underlines between forty four and a half wins and forty eight and a half wins. That's a four win window. That's crazy. Nine of the fifteen teams are all bunched up like that, which I think is gonna make this maybe the more difficult conference to decide whether they're over or under.
Speaker 2: We were doing the Eastern Conference yesterday and at one point I was in my brainstorm, Sash, I was thinking, I gotta get some unders in here. I'm being a little bit too positive. I felt almost a complete opposite for the Western Conference today because I'm like, how is any team gonna win a lot of games this season? Because every team is competing. I guess you would maybe say that Portland isn't sending their best considering the past couple of seasons. But even they have like NBA veteran talent who is gonna be on their team. So yeah, the Western Conference, it's gonna be tough. A four win window we call win Butler, that's right, it's the four win window here.
Speaker 3: Okay, We're gonna go through every team and at the end we will make some of our favorites our locks here in the West. But let's start with the Pacific Division. JD all over the graphics once again. Golden State forty eight and a half wins, the Clippers forty six and a half wins, the Lakers forty seven and a half wins, the Suns fifty one and a half, and then the King's forty four and a half. There's that window I was talking about.
Speaker 2: This is a sick division.
Speaker 3: These are all similar lines. The Golden State Warriors last October a year ago, you know, close to the day Draymond Green's fist connected with Jordan Poole's jaw during training camp and sort of just like that, the Warriors repeat quests. It was on the mat for a ten count that was only a year ago. I like a little bit more than a year ago. That sounds weird to.
Speaker 2: Me, right, that's very, very weird. And then in our preseason podcast last year, it was like, ah, don't even worry about it. Teammates punch each other in the face all the time. There should be no repercussions for this, right, I'm gonna start twenty and five. Guess what rap percussions the entire season to the point they ship Jordan Poole out said go to Washington as far away as possible.
Speaker 3: Yep, Jordan Pool is gone, Dante de Vincenzo is gone. And the big addition is Chris Paul. Chris Paul on the Warriors. I will admit that one looks the weirdest to me of any of the new guys or the guys in New Jerseys. And I know he's played for a lot of teams, so it shouldn't be that perplexing, but it just looks odd putting, like a future Hall of Famer with the you know, the three stars there older stars in Golden State. I don't know if your thoughts are the same.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not just that Chris Paul, as an older guy, is hopping on trying to get a ring at the end of his career. He's been like an antag for specifically the Golden State Warriors for almost ten seasons. The Clippers at one point in time were the last team to beat the Warriors before they went on their championship run there. So from Los Angeles to Phoenix, he was like a thorn in the side of Steph Curry and the Warriors. I mean just the thorn, you know. I guess that they were the rose bush all things considered. But yeah, Chris Paul plays a pretty specific style of basketball. He plays a lot slower than the Warriors do. There's always question marks of is it gonna work, is it gonna fit. Is there gonna be enough basketballs? There always seems to be enough basketballs when it comes to Chris Paul, and it always seems to work when he joins with the team, just because he's such a smart player. We saw I don't know, I got hyped off a stupid Instagram video of Chris Paul and Steph Curry running a pick and roll together. But guess what. They each passed to each other and hit the three. It's practice, they should make it, but you can see the outline of how it's actually gonna work out.
Speaker 3: So forty eight and a half do you think bet MGM slash Vegas sort of have this line in the right spot. Did you struggle with this one? And ultimately where are you leaning?
Speaker 2: I didn't struggle with this one too much. I think this number is too high. Forty nine wins for the Warriors seems like too many because they are one of many teams I'm gonna call the heat wave, just like the Miami Heat. They prioritize the postseason, so maybe the regular season they're gonna be watching their health. They're gonna be obviously trying to figure out the chemistry between Chris Paul and the rest of the Warriors who have been there for a while. They want to be at their best in April and May, which means I'm going under here just because I think the Western Conference is tough to stack up a ton of wins. There will probably only be two fifty win teams even if we get to that many. And secondly, they just want to be in the top six. They don't want to have to go through the play in tournament. But they're not gonna care too much about seating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, They're also probably gonna continue to focus on I know they've shipped out some of the young guys, Jordan Poole, James Wiseman, you know last year he was gone, but they do have some still in Kaminga who has looked great here in preseason action, and then Moody. I think that's going to be a vital part of their playoff success. I need that one or both of those guys to like sort of catch up to the stars on this team again, the elder stars. And then Andrew Wiggins. I like the game he's talking too. He's talking like, Hey, I want to be an all Star game. I want to be all defensive minded guy. And in the running for some of those awards and accolades. He's talking about playing for Team Canada in Paris, so that's great stuff to hear. But yeah, this this feels like a perfect line. I'm with you. I'm like, I'm like, forty six, forty seven, forty eight. Could they win forty to fifty? Of course they could. But the health with the older guys is a bit of an issue, be it Curry, Clay or Draymond, Like, how many combined games will they play and will they even care to play as long as they're in and out of a play in situation, which is you're right. I mean, all these teams with aspirations to go far, you don't want to be in that. Even if we saw the heat get out of it and go to the fine you don't want to be in that type of heat wave. But yeah, it's very risky, So good line here. But I'm gonna lean with you. It's not gonna be a lock by any means, but I would lean like a little.
Speaker 2: Under Yeah, I said, I think there's only going to probably be two fifty win teams in the Western Conference. But when you look at the actual personnel and the talent, on these teams and how they're probably gonna play in the postseason. It's like the Warriors are a fifty win team easily with the personnel that they have around. The Lakers as well, the Clippers, if things are perfect, sure the sons of things are perfect, they're winning fifty plus games, the Pelicans. There are so many teams. I think that in a regular like you know, ten years ago, if you're trying to be the team that finishes on top of the standings, they could easily get there. I don't know if that's the case anymore. And maybe the player participation policies and program it's program, player participation program. No jeez, yeah, I'll lock this in before the season starts here because it's gonna come up. But I just think that teams, these older teams don't care as much about the regular season as long as they can win in the playoffs. That's obviously the goal for most of these older squads.
Speaker 3: All right, let's move to the Los Angeles Clippers forty six and a half wins. Besides bringing Russell Westbrook back on a two year deal, most of the Clippers' summer activity was fairly minor. I guess they re signed backup center Mason Plumley, they traded for kJ Martin, they drafted Kobe Brown with the number thirty pick, and then they're waiting I guess to see if they're trading for James Harden. But otherwise, yeah, yeah, not a whole lot. My issue with this line, just like it was last year, is how do you handicap a team whose stars have played one hundred and forty two games together since they became teammates Kawhi and PG. It's been four seasons of them being teammates here. Really, they're ninety six and forty six when they play, they're very very good. They're eighty six and eighty when one or both of them are out. Sean Pewell at NBA dot Com NBA dot Com he labeled them the brittle brothers. I've never heard that. I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn, Sean Bell believe it.
Speaker 3: But it is difficult to obviously get a read on this team. But maybe maybe now like their their win totals have been higher over previous years. Yep, and this one is I actually think it might be the lowest or tied for the lowest in the Kawhi pg Era, So maybe that has you leaning over.
Speaker 2: I don't know, what do you think, Well, forty four wins for the Clippers last season, and that's what the Brittle Brothers plague. That's an amazing nickname. Fifty six games last season though for Paul George, fifty for Kawhi Leonard. Like, if you're getting almost sixty games from Paul George and fifty from Kawhi, that's about what you should expect. They had barely a positive point differential, which tells you they were pretty successful in clutch games last year, which kind of tipped their win total a little bit over that five hundred mark, which you would expect it at. I don't know. It's just so hard to go over on a Clipper team because you're expecting their guys not to play. But the talent is there and that's why they're also the Brittle Brothers. Just like it's hard to get Peanut Brittel out of your teeth, it's hard to get the best of Kawhi Leonard and the best of Paul George out of your mind. Yeah, because when you see Kawhi playing at his peak, the guy looks like a top five NBA player. Still, do you remember what he was doing against the Suns unbelieving in the playoffs? His stat lines were insane only well, he only played two games in the end. Yeah, and Paul George missed the series.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, if they're out there, sure, yeah, you can even still convince me they're a championship contender. But come on, they're never out there. They're never out there, So this will be the season they're coming in healthy. I guess that's good better than the other way. Yeah, right, right, that's exactly right. So you're gonna go under over here or which way are you leaning? There's no way of touching this one as a lock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely not a lock on this one, but I'm under. But I still think the Clippers are gonna be a pretty solid team. They could get back to forty four wins or you know, be in the forty one to forty five range. I suppose they're kind of like Noah's Ark. They got two of everything. They got two star wings who are hurt a lot, and Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. They got two really wild point guards in Russell Westbrook and Bones Highland. They got two versable stretch forwards who are pretty old Nick batoum Robert Covington, and they got two big old white centers and.
Speaker 3: It beats the zoo and.
Speaker 2: Get on the arc boys and a clipper. You know what, it's a ship, as is the arc. This is good.
Speaker 3: Did you see their leaked new jerseys too? Clips the little basketball.
Speaker 2: I did, the little basketball on the eye. It's like putting a heart on your eye when you're writing a note to a potential paramore. So you're leaning, I'm under here, I'm under yeah.
Speaker 3: Ooh, forty six and a half. It feels like they're gonna win forty six games, So I guess I'll go just under that. One's a tough one. That is a toughy, toughy, tough The other team in LA, the Lakers forty seven and a half. Let me go through what they did. Contract extensions for Austin Reeves, Rui Hachimura, D'Angelo Russell. They added Gabe Vincent, they added Christian Wood, Jackson Hayes, Torrian Prince. I think Cam Ruddish is a Laker. They lost in a shrewder Malik Beasley, and they drafted combo guard Jalen Hood Schapino. He was taken I believe, seventeenth overall in the first round. He's gonna probably not be cracking any of the rotation here. They got a lot of guys. He'll probably be stashed sort of away as player development, but that was their pick. So they did a lot. Have they done enough to convince you that they are forty eight win plus team?
Speaker 2: Well, that's interesting. Like I said, I think they are a forty eight plus win team. I think the talent is there. I think the continuity is pretty good. They did a lot this offseason, but they also basically brought everybody back after the trade last trade deadline. They've got better depth, no doubt this season. Guys like Jackson Hayes, Christian Wood, Torrian Prince probably show their shortcomings come playoff time, but in the regular season it's all about getting wins. You look at their record last season forty three and thirty nine, sixteen and seven post All Star when they were really hitting the gas, making sure that they can make it to the play in tournament, try and scratch their way out of it, which didn't happen. They're not going to be battling against Russell Westbrook in the locker room. They don't have to worry about Lebron trying to set the scoring record through the first half of this season. But they also were really good in the in the second half of last year because they had to be. They had to like be ten games over five hundred over the last twenty five because that's how they got into the playoffs. So I think this is another team that's part of the heat wave. They will be better in the playoffs. I'm going under for the regular season, so I think they could easily be one of the top three teams in the Western Coast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I am going to lean towards a slight over. I think forty eight to forty nine, maybe even that magical fifty could be in play with this team. Now, look, Lebron, he's going to miss games, as he should. What's he in his twenty first season. Yes, Like it's unreal. When he's been with the Lakers, he's played fifty five games, sixty seven games, forty five games, fifty six games and fifty five games last year. Came off the bench in a game last year. I'd forgotten about that. Weird little it is weird. So just one game, So yeah, you'll probably put him down for about that as well, unless he's really well taking you know, these all NBA selections. Still, if he's gonna get one of those, you're gonna have to play more than that. Who knows if the chairs at all about that, that's it the top guy I would care.
Speaker 2: I mean, I assume Lebron has been All NBA since his second season in the league. I haven't. I don't know off the top of my head, but it's gotta be. But he also hasn't played sixty five or more games since the nineteen twenty season. That's the number you got to get to, so he'll probably get to exactly sixty seven games somehow.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, I hadn't really thought about this until right the second. He's a nineteen time All NBA player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't make it as rookie year. That makes sense.
Speaker 3: So he's going to keep that. He wants to keep that going, So he has to play what'd you say it is?
Speaker 2: Sixty seven?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah? Wow?
Speaker 2: Fifty five games last year, fifty six the year prior to, forty five the year prior to that.
Speaker 3: That's something to watch here. Okay like that? Okay, talking this out, I'm even more confident with the over. Lebron's gonna have to play more games to hit this, sort of like baseline Mark. Obviously, Anthony Davis, you're gonna hope he's healthy. There's a lot of talk on the idea that this guy could be, you know, in the MVP conversation. He should be. That's the thing. If he if he plays and puts up the numbers he can and they win. Yeah, he would be in the running, though always difficult if Lebron is on your team. It's that weird sort of you know, interesting, is a little set up there with this squad. But I'm going over.
Speaker 2: What'd you think of Darvin ham saying he wants Anthony Davis to take six threes a game.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't mind it.
Speaker 2: Get inside, buddy, I mean, well, well, well, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: We get a window where he could shoot threes. There was a small, small window. Now you're right, he's not Jokic from three. I feel a lot more confidence in and he's not taking that many. I also, I'm not the biggest Christian Wood fan in the world. I don't know if there's anyone out there that is uh so defensively in I mean, if Ad goes down, that'll be Yeah, that'll be tough. But you know they're hoping they get some minutes SOPs up, some minutes from Wood and Hayes and these guys that they're big. But I'll go just over Phoenix Sun's fifty one and a half, the biggest over underwin total here in the Pacific Division. They came within two wins of a title in twenty twenty one. They stumbled in twenty twenty two again last season despite bringing in Kevin Durant. So they got this newest sh owner, Matt Ishpia. He has pledged basically to do whatever he can to keep the Suns in contention. So they stayed busy in the offseason. First off, they fired Monty Williams. They brought in defensive minded Frank Vogel to lead this overhauled roster. And what I mean overhauled. Wow, Bradley Bel's in, Eric Gordon, Nurkic Grayson Allen, Jordan Goodwin, Drew you Banks, Bull Bull Watanabe. There's a few other names that may or may not hit. Chris Paul, Out, DeAndre eight and out Shaman out Paying out, Jocklandale out, so outside of Kadian Booker, I mean this is like it really is a complete overhaul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kadie's like a long tenured player at this point. He played eight regular season games last year. Really for the Suns.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. Ah, So fifty one and a half. How do you feel about this? Is this one of the teams that you think is the fifty plus win team in the conference.
Speaker 2: This is a fifty plus win team for me. I'm going over for the Phoenix Suns only forty five and thirty seven last year, but it's like throw out the last two seasons. Really for the Suns. They're completely different. They are so top heavy that it's concerning. But I think that can be I don't know if beneficial is the right word, but I think it can work out okay for the Suns because even if Devin Booker misses time, even if Bradley Beal misses his time, even if Kevin Durant miss his time, as long as it's only one of them, they're gonna have two thirty point per game scorers out there. And then they've got all their role guys who were hoping some of them hit during the regular season. It's more likely that that's the case playoffs. Who knows who actually holds up, but that's a long time from now. There are significant depth concerns though for the Suns because Booker's miss time. We know that Kad and Beale have missed time recently. Nurkic is a guy who has had trouble stand on the court recently. Eric Gordon is old, Grayson Allen will get suspended for a game here and there. There's just lots of guys who do miss time. But that's why they had to get, you know, ten minimum contracts because they know that not all of them are going to be great players this season. They know that they're gonna need a lot of depth and a lot of the options at the very least. So I'm going over here. But you know, if it turns out that two of their top three go down at the same time, then probably in trouble from that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm betting on health here and I'm with you. I am. I'm actually probably locking this one in over fifty one and a half. I mean, the way they look, I know it's preseason again, it means basically nothing. Holy crap, though, have you seen these guys play in the limited minutes they have, like it's like seventy points and a half. No problem with the scoring is unreal. It already was with Katie and Booker, two of the best scorers in the league. And you've had a third one in Bradley Beal, who guy who's like sort of obviously austin the wilderness of Washington, who did have seasons where he was scoring thirty. Like, he's got to be, you know, revitalized. Here he is with a team that has aspirations to go far. I think they look, when we get to the playoffs, that'll be a whole other story. Can you take things away from them? Can they get stops? Regular season? Almost nobody plays defense. I mean, that's the honest truth.
Speaker 2: The majority of the games.
Speaker 3: I think they're gonna easily go over fifty one and a half. I actually I couldn't. I was sort of shocked how low this was actually, but I think speaks to how talented and top heavy they are and how loaded the West is. But I like that one all right. Final team in the Pacific Division, the Sacramento Kings forty four and a half wins. They won forty eight games, last year they made the playoffs for the first time in seventeen seasons. They had the beam being lit forty eight times at least in the regular season, sometimes in the playoffs. They had two All NBA players, They had the coach of the Year. They added some more guys to this squad, but Zenkoff is the big name the euro League MVP six nine sharpshooter, so pairing him with Monk and Herder to hopefully, you know, keep the three pointers reigning. They got a bar and still they got Mitchell, Still Trey Lyles in the rotation. They had a JaVale McGee and christ Warte. Okay, they probably won't mean much, but is this King and Murray is probably gonna break out more? Is this disrespectful to the sacrament of Kings forty four and a half wins? Because I feel like it is disrespectful. Yeah, no, this is not disrespectful to the Kings. This is a King's team who has had one good season. So them getting predicted to have forty five wins after the previous two decades, I think.
Speaker 2: Is still respectful.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you like the over Yeah?
Speaker 2: I like the over there you go, Yeah, they won forty eight games last year. They brought everybody back. I don't think they're gonna be as good as they were last season, just because it's unlikely that they have two All NBA players and the Coach of the Year. They probably don't finish as the third seed in the Western Conference. That would be a surprise once again. But they're betting on continuity. They had great health last season, but they're also a pretty young team. Young guys tend to stay healthier. I think they are I prove it in the playoffs team. But I think this is an easy over. They are definitely not the worst team in this division, but they're in a tough division. They gotta play all these other teams four times, which, yeah, is why the number is probably so low.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair. I'm with you. I'm going over. Forty four and a half feels way too low. I think everybody keeps bringing up this idea. Well, look how healthy they were last year. They were one of the healthiest teams in the league, and that was true. Though, you know, everyone seems to forget Sabonis did basically break his damn hand or his finger or whatever it was. His thumb continued to play through it the ox that he is. So I get that. You're like, well, you know, there could be a bad injury to one of their key players and that suddenly changes the dynamic of the team. Yeah, but they are a young team. It's I would have a lot less confidence in some of these other teams we've just talked about, obviously, the Clippers, the Lakers with Lebron and Ad, the Warriors with the age on that team. I have a lot less confident in those guys staying healthy than I would this fairly young Kings team. So I don't see like why it's like out of the realm of possible that they do not run back a fairly healthy season. Again, I know people can twist ankles and hurt knees and like just weird fluke accidents, but I'm going over on this.
Speaker 2: I don't factor in that kind of stuff. Seat's not freak accidents. Like a guy like like Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. That's a different case than Demonta Sabonis and dearon Fox. They could easily tear their acl and start being guys that have knee problems going throughout their career. But they're not those guys yet, so I don't I mean, yeah, that could happen, but I'm an optimist at heart, skeets, so I ain't worried about that kind of stuff. They're gonna be unstoppable on offense once again. You know, they were the best offense in the league last season. Maybe they're not the best offense in the league this season because the Bucks look like they're gonna be tough. The Celtics are gonna be really tough. We know the Nuggets are gonna be able to score points as well. So exactly, they could finish fifth and still, you know, I'll have a better offense than they had the previous season. But yeah, I think this Kings is an easy over to me.
Speaker 3: All right, let's hear from everybody in the stream. Team. You guys are already chiming in for every team.
Speaker 2: Go through.
Speaker 3: Love to see that podcast listeners, tweet at us at No Dunk Sinc. Or everybody jump over to YouTube and leave your thoughts in the comments. We're gonna take our first break and when we come back, it's the Northwest Division. Don't go anywhere, all right, Still here in the classic factory, smash that like button make sure you subscribe as we get ready for the NBA season one week today. Real basketball, baby, right around the corner, you pumped.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited, so am I Basketball is my favorite sport.
Speaker 3: Good m hm. That's why you get paid it to a podcast about it. That's right, Uh, Northwest Division, let's get into it here. It is the Joker's ready.
Speaker 2: He looks fired up.
Speaker 3: Tiger Woods fist pumped there, Nuggets fifty two and a half, Wolves forty four and a half, Thunder forty four and a half, Blazers twenty eight and a half, and the Jazz thirty five and a half. Denver Nuggets fifty two and a half, Jamal Jokic leading the way. They looked primed again to battle for a championship. Why wouldn't they be? That said, their deaths took a little bit of a hit, right. They lost two guys who ranked sixth and seventh on the team in total playoff minutes. I'm talking about Bruce Brown who left for Indiana. Jeff Green, he left for Houston. Got some decent money there. So Denver turned to the draft to get guys that they thought they could that are ready to play. I should say They acquired college junior wing Julian Strather, who looks great in preseason guys a bucket right now, and then they got two seniors, Jill and Pickett, and then Hunter Tyson. They also brought in Justin Holiday for some wing minutes possibly so the Nuggets fifty two and a half. I believe it is the highest here in the Western Conference. That's right, just a little bit higher than the Suns that we talked about at fifty one and a half. What do you do with this team?
Speaker 2: I think I'm going to be on the minority in this one's skeets. I see ninety one percent of the tickets, ninety eight percent of the handle or hitting the under for the Denver Knights. Not me, No, I think it's an over here. They finished fifty three and twenty nine last season. That includes going nine to ten in the months of March and April. They basically locked up the number one seed in the Western Conference, shut it down and went into chill mode, got healthy for the playoffs, and allowed Nikoleyokich to bow out of the MVP race during the last half of the season. I don't think they'll have that luxury this season. The Western Conference is going to be really competitive. I think teams are going to be vying for the top spot because nobody wants to have to go into Denver and try to win on the road. Meanwhile, they have a great home court advantage, so yeah, they're relying on youth this season. They definitely lost some veteranship, which I think as another part of the reason that Justin Holliday comes to town. Reggie Jackson I think has to have a better season this year than he did for the Clippers, and then with the Nuggets just because they need somebody else to be handling the ball off the bench with the loss of Bruce Brown, but basically the last for the last five seasons, Jamal Murray has been healthy, and when he's been healthy, the Nuggets winned a fifty three win pace. So as long as he stays on the court alongside Jokich, this team is going to pile up wins.
Speaker 3: Saw Schumann point out in one of his articles on NBA dot Com the Nuggets were the one seed in the West despite having the league's twenty ninth rank bench last season, but after a long playoff run, Shoe notes it would be nice if they could keep their starters a little more fresh. So you know Christian Brown is going to get an opportunity. But who are those rotation pieces seven through ten? You slipped in some names? You know, Reggie Jackson should be Peyton Watson. They're very high on Calvin Booth. Is at least are you know you brought the vibes calculation yesterday? I'm curious if if you had to do any last minute tinkering with your ViBe's valuation with the Nuggets after hearing these Kelvin Booth comments where and I'm paraphrasing here, he's sort of shipped on Michael Porter Junior in saying, well, we couldn't have two sort of boneheaded me first guys in Bones Hiland and Michael Porter Junior. So he shipped out Bones, but we still got one. But it's okay, we won a championship. Is that rock the boat at all to you in your ViBe's calculation? Kelvin Booth just being too damn real the v for vibes. No, I'm not factoring it in. Okay, he's not on the team, he's the GM.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter. Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 3: The only thing harder than winning a title in the NBA is repeating the next season, so I'm excited to see how they tackle it, because like the way I look at this championship teams, they generally faced three challenges the following season. One inflated egos. I don't think that's gonna be a concern here because you're you're following after your superstar. Jokic doesn't even want to be here. I was just thinking of horses all day long, So I don't see that being a concern. Maybe maybe with a guy like Michael Portergut, I possibly, but I don't even see it there. Potential fatigue. Sure, that's why we're talking about this fifty two and a half win line. You said it. They shut it down at the end of last year. That could happen again. They could get up to a big lead, have a nice gap, and then you know it worked last year, Why wouldn't we do the same thing. And maybe that ends in, you know whatever, fifty one to fifty two wins. And then the other thing is filling holes, rotation spots left by guys who who went and got a bank, they cashed in on their great play on a championship team. Again, we're talking about Brown and Jeff Green, and they need to find those guys. But there they think they have them. I think in some of these guys in Strathor and Watson and Brown and who else and who knows? Who else? You know who hits litt.
Speaker 2: Who else? Do you know exactly? It doesn't matter. Man, Jeff Green was he was their seventh man. He was great in the playoffs when his veteranship showed up. He also averaged eight points a game and shot twenty eight percent from three last year. These are regular season win totals. Things are different on the playoffs, and then Nuggets could easily find a random vet come February. So yeah, that'll be a question for another time. But I think they're gonna do okay with these collection of young guys and you know, a couple of old these hanging out as well.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm leaning over just over Minnesota Timberwolves forty four and a half. They are running back this year with largely the same roster. I mean, Shake Milton is now here, Troy Brown Junior, I guess Tory and Prince is out. But they are hoping better health with Karl Anthony Towns that this team can finish higher in the West. The line is only forty four and a half where you lean in with this one.
Speaker 2: This one was tough for me because I use two factor authentication with regards to my over under picks skeets. The night before I go through and I just try and catch a feeling on a team. If I think they're gonna go over under, you know. Yeah, the next morning I look at it in the lighted day and say, what was I cooking? And I don't know about these Minnesota Timberwolves. I went over last night. I was like, Anthony Edwards is good. They're gonna get more games out of Karl Anthony Towns this season, a second year with a real training camp with Rudy Gobert. They're gonna be able to figure things out. But then you're also like, they won forty two games last season, Anthony Edwards already averaged twenty five a game. They had Mike Conley for twenty four games. They were mid twelve and twelve when Karl Anthony Towns played fifteen and fourteen. Every stat you look at for them, they're finishing right in the middle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I didn't really know.
Speaker 2: What to do with them. I'm going over. I'm going just a tiny bit over.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going over.
Speaker 2: I'm not feeling good about it, and I'm honestly you could easily talk me out of it in the next three minutes.
Speaker 3: You got three players making max money. You better be better than forty two and forty Yes, I mean you better be better than you know, forty four wins. Were saying you gotta be you would open your around the fifty win mark with three max contracts in in Edwards, in Town's and go bear. But like I'm with you, this is a tough one because you gotta be like a lot of things sort of gotta go right here. Yeah, for them to be flirting with the forty five to fifty win window, first off, we gotta we gotta figure out really if Cat and Gobert do work and mesh well together. Also, there is nasried they got another big that they paid, there was an extension. There's that Anthony Edwards is he going to another level? Is he going to be an all NBA guy? You know, fresh off the run with tm USA where he took them to an incredible fourth place finish. I'm not so sure. I think he Well, yeah, I mean, he's gonna get better because he's younger, But how high Jane McDaniels, Nikhil Alexander Walker, who I am high on? I mean, are there games gonna grow? Maybe? And Mike Conley he's thirty six, Like, is he gonna stay healthy? What type of Conley are you getting? They like, I feel like all of that has to work together at the exact same time, and then yeah, then you've got a really good team. But two or three of those things falter decline don't work. In the case of Cat and go Bear not matching, that's an issue. So I don't know what to do with it.
Speaker 2: That's what It's tough. They were like fighting on the bench last year, right, you know, as you're like, oh, they're bringing back everybody. Wait a second, they're bringing back everybody, the people that were punching each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is a This will be a stressful one if you're a Timberwolves fan.
Speaker 3: So you're going just over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll go exactly forty five wins. I'm not feeling great about it. But another part of my figuring out over unders here is I want to have exactly fifteen overs and exactly fifteen hunders and it worked out. So I can't change it. I can't do it. Well.
Speaker 3: I was wondering if you will also have this team in the Northwest Division over or under, because I feel like some people you almost have to pick which one with the same line. I'm talking about the Thunder forty four and a half, the exact same line as the Wolves. They took a great step last year in their rebuilt finished forty and forty two, so the flip record of the Wolves. They just missed out on the actual playoffs. They beat the Pelicans and then lost to the Wolves in the play in tournament. Shay Gildos Alexander turned into an All NBA player. They saw growth from Giddy Jail and Williams. J Dubb Isaiah Joe was good LOUDRT at times, among many others. So what are they doing here? While they're bringing back the number two overall pick from two years ago, Chet Holmgren from a foot injury that kept him out all last season, they got Cason Wallace, who they traded up in the draft to get at number ten. I believe the Tuckey combo guard. They signed Vasilia Michic a two time year league MVP. He's there now in a three year deal and they use cap space to add like some really to get picks. But we're talking Rudy Gay Davis Berton's OLA depot. So okay, See, they seem to be the hipster pick here coming into the season of like, ooh yeah, forty four and a half. They could go way higher than that. What says you?
Speaker 2: I got a little nervous when I was reading Kevin Pelton's preseason projections and he mentioned the plexiglass principal. A team that has a big improvement in one year often has a small improvement the next. So that could easily be the Thunder. And I was definitely thinking of one of Minnesota and Oklahoma City. Once should go over, one should go under. Yeah, I went over with the Thunder or with the with the Timberwolves. Yeah, I'm going over with the Thunder.
Speaker 3: Oh We're doing both.
Speaker 2: And I don't feel as confident about this, just like I don't feel confident about the Minnesota Timberwolves. But I'm a big chet fan. I think he gives the Thunder exactly what they were missing last season rim protection, defensively, rebounding and a little bit of pressure at the rim. I think there are another trade potential team just because they have so many picks around that if they wanted to acquire a veteran and try and get in the top six, they could easily do it. The biggest loss for the Thunder I think this season is the surprise factor. Ain't nobody going to be taking them easily during this season after Shae Gil, just Alexander's All NBA season and the fact that they're just a competitive team. This is definitely, to me, not the season for the Thunder to really take a step forward and be a competitor in the Western Conference. This is more of a figure out what works season. You gotta see how Chet fits with everybody and if playing a five out style is going to be effective for this team. You gotta see just how Shay Gil's, Just Alexander and Josh Giddy can work together, you know, since both of them are best with the ball in their hands and Giddy isn't necessarily a great off ball player. I think you're trying to figure out if lou Dord is really a long term starter. Yeah here as well, so some thing to figure out, But I'm feeling too good about the Thunder right now forty five wins.
Speaker 3: I'm with you. I want to slow play this team. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves with them. But man, then I see them in like even preseason, and just like you see what you see Giddy and why wouldn't he improve Jalen Williams. I mean, I'm starting to convince myself this guy is gonna be another star like in this league on the wing position. What he can do obviously SGA. He's probably not gonna score thirty a game. Again, I don't think he will because of chat there and maybe even Jalen and some of these other guys getting more opportunity and more shots. But that's okay. I mean, he ain't goot a care if he's winning, you know, more than forty five games. So I'm gonna go just over too, because this the talent, the vibes to use your calculation there, they feel good and they could you never know. You never know when Presty's gonna like push all those draft picks in because of disgruntled superstar that wants out, and man, then suddenly you plug like another guy into this roster and it could be like Holy crap, they could be good. I'm not sure that will happen because, I mean, this guy notoriously takes his but forty four and a half. It's a good line.
Speaker 2: It's a good line.
Speaker 3: I like that. Bet MGM knows they're a good team. But just how good they are they I'm gonna go just over, man. I can't wait to watch them, though. I'm very excited about the squad. Portland Trailblazers twenty eight and a half. What's new for Portland? They got Scoot Henderson at number three in the draft. They also took Chris Murray, Keegan Murray's brother, the twenty third pick. They re signed two forwards, Jeremy Grant one hundred and sixty million over five years, Matisse Thibel, and in two trades involving three other teams, they got DeAndre Ayton, Brogden, still Kamara, time Lord, some picks, some swaps, all of that really For Damian Lillard twenty eight and a half, you already said it off the top, you think this is going to be still one of the bad teams in the Western Conference. So I guess you're going under.
Speaker 2: I think I'm going under. But basically, just because some teams in the Western Conference have to lose, like not every team can possibly be good. It's kind of a weird team though, now for Portland, because they feel like a rebuilding team obviously now the Damian Lillard is gone. They've got a ton of young guys, but they also have a ton of veterans who are all not that old as well. Like their oldest guy is Malcolm Brogden, the only guy on the team who is thirty thirty years old. And then you've got like anthrety Simon's he's a VET, he's been around for a few seasons, but he's still really young. Ayton is a young VET, as are Jeremy Grant time Lord as well. So they have a good team around Scoot Henderson I think, so that he's not going to just be completely floundering out there. They definitely have trade potential with Brogden and Jeremy Grant and Robert Williams, all of whom could be moved at some point during the season, which would hurt their projected win total. I assume one of those, if not too, will happen eventually. The Portland OH Chicago at top fourteen protected draft pick so tank away Boys is kind of how it plays out to me. I'm going under here, though I don't think they'll be super far under twenty eight wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right. I'm also going under. I'm leaning that way. I love like what they have going here. I mean, you traded away your franchise guy, one of your greatest players in the history of your team, and Damian Lillard and you Usually when that happens, you're left going Jesus like you're just looking at the rubble. You're like, oh, this is gonna be rough. It don't look that way. I mean, Scoot eight and time, Lord Sharp and Simons. That's an intriguing set of young players. There's still Jeremy Grant. Maybe they look to move him and get more picks or more young players in return. But then you go, when was the last time a team that's made up of all guys that are basically twenty five and under right, I mean Brogden's probably gonna get moved to without an All star in the bunch, When did they do really anything special? I mean, and those type of teams they generally struggle to defend too, which I think is going to be an issue here. I think they're gonna be entertaining. I think they're going to lose a lot of games sort of in the fourth quarter and in second halfs So I go under. But uh, fun players on this team. The highlights from you know, Sharp alone and some of these lobs maybe to uh to time, Lord and Neaton could be fun. Blazers asked a great question too. I thought it was well, that was one of their questions. Yeah, and we'll find out. You're right. Can Chauncey Billups coach?
Speaker 2: He hasn't really had to.
Speaker 3: Well, look at he's hired back in twenty twenty one. He comes into the league with zero head coaching experience. He is tasked with growing a playoff contender around of course, now the departed Lillard, the Blazer's got two trips to the lottery instead. And so now, as we said, this roster is basically all under the age of twenty five, Like his mission is now completely switched, right, it's like player development around Scoot and these young guys. I mean, maybe he'll be better at that than the prior plan of like win and like try and get dem into some playoffs success, But maybe not. Maybe he's just not a good coach. So I think he could be on the I think he could be on a hot seat here if they got off to a really really bad start. I mean what, like, what would be the reason to keep him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're probably right that he's on the hot seat, But also what would be the point in getting rid of your coach when you're not really expected to win? I guess that Portland, if they're looking for a model for how to have a successful season, it is going to be last year as Utah Jazz, they traded away two of their best players in Mitchell and Gobert. Had the remnants from those trades all kind of decent NBA players who were established and kind of caught the league by surprise by having a system that caught everybody off guard. They didn't play any defense, like you're saying a young team, they played no defense, but playing that five out style, they were able to stack up a bunch of wins until they started trading. The be's a way again. So we'll see. Is Chauncey Billips as good of a coach as Will Hardy. He has not been through one season Will Hardy's career. But like you're saying he has gotten some pretty solid development. I think out of anfrety Simons, he's become a real player with Damian Lillard resting quite a bit during the past couple of seasons, so Phillips has been good for Simons's growth. And I suppose if you have a franchise point guard coming in in Scoot Henderson, good to learn from an established NBA point guard in Chauncey Bill.
Speaker 3: I think you're in for quite the roller coaster season from Scoot, where the highs are high forty point games, he pops off whatever, and then the lows or lows like there's going to be some rough shooting nights, you know where he struggles from philp And that's okay. And he's coming in being asked to play the toughest really maybe position in the NBA, at least the one position that takes the longest to sort of get comfortable with. But that's a good point about Billups obviously being a former point guard and future Hall of Famer, probably that he is going to learn from utadj Us. You slipped it in there thirty five and a half getting a little more respect. They were a pleasant surprise last season. They got off to a ten and three start, remember that, and they I think they had surpassed their win total before the All Star break last year because they they were Yeah, they were pegged to be one of the worst teams in the league. I was wrong about them. I thought they were going to be. They finished in the end thirty seven and forty five. So what did they do? They added Hawks forward John Collins. He is there. They used their first round picks on Taylor Hendricks and Kyante George, who they are very high on. He could be maybe starting soon for this team at the guard position, and Jordan Clarkson decided to sign a three year contract extension rather than test the free agent waters. Thirty five and a half is the line I said for Utah Jazz. What do you think.
Speaker 2: I think that's a tiny line. That's the thing that sticks out of me. Thirty five and a half. That's pretty low. This team won thirty seven games last year, but they fell off hard eight and fourteen after the All Star break when they had traded away, you know, some of their established veterans. I think they're back to development mode, like you're mentioning. They had two first round picks this year. And one of them might end up starting Kiante George. That tells me you're not pushing all in trying to win this season. I still think there is a baseline of talent here. I think the system works in the regular season just because you don't see a team that's playing shooters at the four and five all that often playing that five out style, So they probably are going to be successful again. The offensive rebound like crazy. I guess maybe the offense takes a little bit of a step back if we're getting more Walker Kessler, just because you know, a Lennux a more versatile offensive player at the very least. So I'm going over here, but barely. I think they could get back to thirty seven wins. The Jazz could, but I could definitely see this one going under.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about John Collins here in Utah? Like? Is he going to have a lowry market in like resurgence? Can will Hardy do it again?
Speaker 2: Well? I don't know. We used to talk about John Collins as a potential All Star, yeah, early in his career in Atlanta or you know the path, Yeah, and having the space that the Jazz system creates would definitely be helpful for him. But if they are planning on running a lineup out there of market In Kessler and John Collins, that doesn't bode well to me for Collins becoming an All Star. I'll probably have better seasons than he did at the end of his Atlanta career, where he just felt like he was kind of standing out there waiting to catch wide open three pointers. But I think he helps on the rebounding at the very least, and as an older guy, I think it's good to get one of those vets back after they shipped everybody out at the trade deadline last year.
Speaker 3: I would say for the most part, the stream team seems to be leaning towards over for the Jazz, and people are liking the idea of them at least replicating the thirty seven win season though they had last year. Though I don't see them probably starting ten to three and I did sort of forget about that. That's a hell of a hot start there, and then they sort of obviously pivoted with their organizational sort of game plan moving forward, but they got a lot of talent. I guess I would lean just over as well. You talk me until that thirty six thirty seven win season something like that, hopefully playing or having hopes to get into like a play in position in the final three weeks of the season. Maybe they're in the running. Put me down for the Utah Jazz being one of the fantastic teams in the in season tournament for no reason. Okay, you heard it here first. I like the Jazz in the in season tournament. All right, we gotta take one more break and when we come back, the Southwest Division. Don't go anywhere. Okay, our final division it's the Southwest Division. Yeah, Texas JD. Show me that sexy graphic that you put together. Oh, Wemby makes it. We got Dallas forty five and a half, Houston thirty one and a half, Memphis is Memphis in Texas kidding forty five and a half. New Orleans forty four and a half. In San Antonio twenty eight and a half. We start with Dallas. Safe to say they were a major disappointment last season. They finished thirty eight and forty four. They missed the play in let alone the playoffs. That's why they got busy this offseason. They re signed Kyrie Irving to a three year, one hundred and twenty six million dollars deal. They signed White Powell to a lot less than that. They traded for Grant Williams and Rashaun Holmes. They drafted athletic big man Derek Lively the second and potential three and d Guy Omax prosper. They signed Derek Jones, Junior, Dante Exhem Seth Curry, who's back for the third time. I think with the Dallas Mavericks. Oh wow, yeah, somebody fact checked me on that, but that's really what they did. Have they done enough to win over I guess forty six wins or more?
Speaker 2: Wow, Seth Curry, that is right three times? This is the Stavericks. Yeah, they're like me when it comes to NBA two K. I'm always getting Seth Curry. I like that guy's gonna be helpful. Yeah, exactly. In NBA two K he's awesome, man, because like he shoots forty five percent from three. Uh, and you don't really care about his defense because you're just simming through these It's like, yeah, I'll take Seth Curry. I kick it, Steph. Why not thirty eight and forty four last season but barely a positive point differential. They had a lot of losses in the clutch, especially especially when they trade him for Kyrie Irving and it was like Luca, you could see them trying to figure out who should have the ball, How are we getting the best out of each other? They couldn't figure it out. I think they'll be better in the clutch in year two with Kyrie and Luca, just because they will have a longer time to try and figure it out. I think the team makes a lot more sense this season than it does after the trade for Kyrie. They've improved their personnel. But also when you're reading through the names, I'm like, okay, okay, okay, Grant Williams. He's probably the only guy that really helps here. So I'm going under just because I don't think they were really a thirty eight win team last year. Obviously we know about them tanking at the end of the season, but I also don't think that they are going to be eight wins better this season to get up to forty six wins. So I think they will improve. I think they'll be in like the forty one to forty four range, So that still leaves me with an under.
Speaker 3: I like that they are at least in the offseason tried to address their defense. You know, Grant Williams is a good defensive player. I'm not sure I want Grant Williams to be possibly the third best player on my team, which I think when you'll look at the roster he might be. So there's that issue. But anyway, he plays defense. Obviously, Derek Lively the second the idea. You know, a big athletic, maybe defensive minded guy. Oh Max prosper As I said, you know, even Andante xem and Derek Jones, like those guys are like more known for their defense than it is for their offense. So I like that because they were garbage last year on defense, excuse me, which was weird because the year before that, first year Jason Kidd bumped, they were the fifth ranked defense in the twenty one to twenty two season. Last year they fell to twenty fifth in the league. So they got to be better on that end, and they're hoping some of the personnel helps. Because when Kyrie and Luke were on the floor, they had like a one hundred and nineteen point two offensive rating. I mean, that's not really the issue. They gotta gets around those guys. This is a good line. It feels exactly where they'll be. I was down on the Mavericks last year, you might remember in our preseason shows. I'm not as down as much because this line feels, you know, more in tune with what they'll be. Oh my god, it's a flip a coin. They're gonna be right there, truthfully, like it's gonna be there, so good at this it's gonna be forty four, forty five and forty six wins. I know it, I know it, So I guess. I mean, I don't have a coin on me, because who carries money any nowadays?
Speaker 2: You know, like coins, coins?
Speaker 3: Was the last time you held a coin?
Speaker 2: The last time I held a coin? Yeah, I was probably given one by a kid, but like pocket full of change? Never probably not in the twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Do you have coins in your car? Even?
Speaker 2: I do? Interesting? Interesting? Maybe maybe thirty five cents total.
Speaker 3: Really, you think it's so oh you think it's like buried in the car's in another relic of forgotten time, the cigarette ashtray.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you know it's like the car makers after like after the twenty tens, they didn't know what to do with the space that they would put an ashtray.
Speaker 3: They're like, just put a hole. Yeah, put a hole.
Speaker 2: What are you gonna put in there? Coins? Nobody uses coins. Pretty soon we're not gonna have any holes in our cars. A good point over underund the number of years before there are no trays in your car.
Speaker 3: I actually prefer that because I just cleaned my car. Flat surfaces a little bit, because I just cleaned my car not that long ago, and those are the most annoying places to clean, all these crevices, like you said, in the door, to hold things that I never put in there, just dust and dirt. So yeah, flat interior, all right, that's what we want.
Speaker 2: Tweet had us pictures of coins in your car.
Speaker 3: Get that. Oh yeah, coins in the car. I'm gonna find one later. I'm gonna flip it, but right now I'm going under. I will do it nice. I'll post it. I got Mavericks just under, though I don't believe that much in the defense being too too much better.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Houston Rockets thirty one and a half. What did they do? Your Doka is in he's a coach. They did a lot. They drafted Iman Thompson and Cam Whitmore, who was the summer League MVP. Uh. He was a projected top five pick, dropped all the way to twenty because of medical and or personality issues. Did you see his dunk? That wasn't a dunk in preseason last night? Sorry he flew and we got an other charge. Oh my god. They gave Fred van Vlid a bag. They signed Dylan Brooks, Jock Landell, Jeff Green, Aaron Holliday, Reggie Bullock in free agency. Seven guys are out. I mean, there's a different team here. Besides like you're the Jalen Green and Shehnghun and stuff like that. They finished twenty two and sixty last year, so this line thirty one and a half. That's a it's a heck of a jump. You know, we're looking at a ten win improvement here. Do you think the Rockets have it in them?
Speaker 2: I don't think they have a ten win improvement in them, but I think they are gonna feel like they're ten wins better because this now seems like a professional team to me. Bringing an email Udoka as the coach, and all of the veterans who are at least going to be giving effort defensively right and helping these teams or helping the Rockets learn how to win. Kelly Eco just had a great column on the Athletic he can subscribe at the Athletic dot com slash no Dunks, and he was asking all of these players on the Rockets, and I believe on the Pacers as well, what's the best advice you got as a rookie? And all of the Rockets were like, I didn't get any good advice. Everybody was my same age. I'm not taking advice from somebody who's my age, which fair enough, that's a hard thing.
Speaker 3: Like Jabari Smith Junior is not turning towards Jayalen Green and saying, give me some advice.
Speaker 2: And what was it like for you playing that one extra season?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Like what's uh, what's ty Ty Washington gonna teach Tarry Eason right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Right?
Speaker 2: Those are the things that keep me up with n So I think they had better advice in the locker room. Maybe maybe from Eudoka who knows at least basketball wise. Freend van Vliet I think is going to be a good guy to have around, as are Dylan, as is Dylan Brooks. Guys who were like not hyped prospects, right, guys who have made their name in the NBA by giving effort and by doing the little things, even if sometimes the little things is a little tapping up the Rockies from Dylan Brooks. I can't believe this guy's hitting nuts in the preseason Skeets wild stuff, but that's why you bring in them in. I still think they're under but this is just another bet of somebody has to lose in the West, and the Rockets are not very flower along and they're rebuilt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ten feels like a lot, like I said twenty two to thirty two to hit the over. They're gonna be better because of all the reasons you just went through, and even just coaching alone. I think Udoka is a more capable coach than Steven Silas is and was. And they spent money on upgrading the roster, and they got some of these guys in where they overpaid. Maybe, but if it helps you win games, which is the point here, then that's great. I wonder of their young guys, who's gonna really pop up, Who's gonna who's gonna like I don't know in playing alongside Vets, Who's that gonna help more?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Jamari Smith Junior is it Jalen Green, is it Sheng Gun, is it Tarry Easton? I mean they're gonna pray it's three of those four guys, like they take a bit of a leap, and it could be because they showed promises. Oh yeahsh yeah. But it's you know, it's the consistency of stringing it all together throughout a game and then a season. But that's where the Vets come in. I like them to be. I like the honestly flirting with this over under. I think they'll be knocking on the door. But I think I should go just under because we do need some bad teams in this yas Miss Conference, so some teams not winning, you know, some thirty games, I guess.
Speaker 2: Ask for your question of who thrives playing next to the Vets, I think Jabari Smith is the answer for me, just because it feels like his game will improve if he's playing alongside creators who are playmakers. I don't know. Fred van Vliet is a great playmaker in the realm of the NBA, but compared to what the Rockets have had for last season, Jalen Green is a good shot creator for Jalen Green, but he's not necessarily getting great looks for Jabari Smith. I think playing alongside an established point guard will be great for Smith because he's a good catch and shoot player, and as we saw in Summer League, he's added to his game as well. Yeah, from a scoring perspective, so I think he should have a little bit of a breakout second season.
Speaker 3: No good here in the Stream team asked me, are you rooting for Fred van Vliet to have success in Houston or are you on the not on my team anymore? Bye? No, absolutely not. I'm I would love nothing more than to see VanVleet come in here and get this team like maybe they're like the surprise like Utah Jazz last year and off to a hot start and all the young talents clicking and those guys, especially Brooks and Van Vleet helping them get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I am rooting. I'm rooting for Fred VanVleet. Why not. He's a good guy.
Speaker 2: He's a good guy, an Illinois boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so good luck. We all bet on Fred. That's right, says Pierre. They're in the stream team. Okay, a few more teams. The Memphis Grizzlies forty five and a half wins, It is easy to forget thanks to guns on Instagram, but the Grizzlies have won fifty one plus games in each of the past two seasons. They're the only team in the conference to do that. They were the number two seed in the West both years. But we obviously know In June Adam Silver announcing a twenty five game suspension to start this season for John Morant. They let Dylan Brooks their defensive stoppers slash headache I guess walking free agency, though they did trade for defensive Player of the Year winner from a few years ago, Marcus Smart. They lost Tys Jones in that deal, though, and they added Derek Rose. They also gave Desmond Ban a five year, two hundred and seven million dollar extension, the richest in team history. What do you think, Memphis Grizzlies forty five and a half off feels like another tough one obviously with the especially with the John Morant being out twenty five games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely the thing that gives you pause. On the total twenty five games, that's a lot of games. So for him to really for the Grizzlies to really go over, like John's got to play the other fifty seven basically right, and he has missed some time in his career with various injuries. But if he's able to stay on the court for the other fifty seven games. You look at last year's team fifty one wins. They're the only team in the Western Conference coming off back to back fifty win seasons. John only played sixty one games last year. Jared Jackson Junior played sixty three games, Steven Adams forty two, Brandon Clark fifty six. This is a team that is used to their players missing time and kind of not taking a step back. They're still very young as a team. A lot of their rotation once you get past the starters as guys on their rookie contracts, which you know can be harrow income playoff time, but also in the regular season, you're getting a lot of looks at different people. Here, they are a prove it in the playoffs team because the Grizzlies have not looked as good in the postseason as they have during the regular season. But I think the number got too small here. I saw that the Grizzlies were number one in Kevin Pelton's math projections. Here I'm going over I think they could challenge for fifty wins. Again, forty five is just too small of a number for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes some sense. I'm excited to see the numbers that Desmond made, butts up. I think here in the first couple months of the season he could be flirting with an All Star selection that could be in play. I saw somebody in the stream team say, well, the Grizzlies have been good in years prior without John Morant. Yes, this is true, but I slipped it in there. A big part of that was Tys Jones as probably the best backup point guard in the league, sort of taking over the reins and continuing to run that team. He's not there now, so that sort of falls down to other guys on this roster. Their bench is Luke Cannard. You know, Derrick Rose is there, David the Body, Roddy Santi al Dama, say, you're Williams, Xavier Tillman. Brandon Clark is there, but he's out I think for the first half of the season still due to a torn achilles.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Does that? Yeah, Like I just read that bench. How do you confidence in that squad? Some players there no problems at least again, this whole thing of the first twenty five games. It's a different team without your superstar.
Speaker 2: One of the Grizzlies young role players ever been bad. They're always good, That's true. Last year, coming into the season, I was like, I don't know if it's a great idea letting d Anthony Melton and Kyle Anderson go to their various teams. They didn't miss a step. Yeah, the Grizzlies have a great development project program. They really value their draft picks, which is why they don't make a ton of trades for players, and they always feel like they can get people later in the first round or in the second round. So I think they'll still be good. Though. I did see that Kenneth Afton Jr. Came in over three hundred pounds. We might have a new Oliver Miller on our hands.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's exciting. I forgot he was on this squad. And look the defense. I know Dylan Brooks goes and he was a great defensive wing stopper. But you do have Jaron Jackson Jr. Who just won the Defensive Player of the Year and Marcus Smart who won't you two years prior, and obviously we know what he can do on the perimeter. That's why I think I lean over. I also think, I mean John Moran is getting to be around the team. He's getting to like be at practices, he said. I mean, I don't know if he's going to be traveling on the road with the team. I assume he will be.
Speaker 2: I think he goes to Denver.
Speaker 3: I wasn't gonna say it. He is gonna come out Gangbusters? Is he not? When do you get poor choice awards? He's a fake gangster. Anyway, he's gonna come out. He should come out firing with something to prove he'll be on target.
Speaker 2: I think he is.
Speaker 3: He should be, and he also should go on the Dunk Contest when that should be his apology. You know, a part of his apology, he's like, you know, his little olive branch to all of us NBA fans. That's right, like missing twenty five games. Hey, okay, I screwed up.
Speaker 2: I've learned.
Speaker 3: I've moved on. Let's go in the dunk contest. Put on a show for you. Come on, do that, Joe. But I'm gonna go over with you. I do like it. Yeah. Two teams left New Orleans Pelicans forty four and a half. To quote Sean Powell at NBA dot Com, Zion Williamson could make it through the season. That's your recap of the twenty two to twenty three Repelicans, right there. A lot of truth to that. They stayed relatively quiet in the offseason. They drafted Jordan Hawkins, they signed Cody Zeller, and they brought back Herb Jones on a new deal. They did not do a whole lot of other things. He only played twenty nine games Ion last year. You know you're praying that he plays more. Where do you go with this team? Do you believe in them just staying healthy enough? Forty four and a half wins?
Speaker 2: I don't believe in them staying healthy enough. It's just how can you how can you bet on this like this?
Speaker 3: To me, it's off to a bad start.
Speaker 2: It ain't gonna be a lock for anybody. Yeah, exactly right. Tray Murphy the third already out. Brandon Ingram has had missed time basically every season since he's come to New Orleans. Larry nance Junior a surprisingly important player for them. I feel like he misses a little bit of time here and there, and then Zion obviously is the huge question mark seventeen to twelve in his twenty nine games. Last season, they were in first place for a chunk of the season in the Western Conference. There so this is a team that could finish the one seed in the Western Conference and the twelve seed in the Western Conference. I'm going under just because that feels like the right thing to do when you're uncertain about who's actually going to be playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, John Hollinger agrees with you. There are no bad predictions when it comes to this year's Pelicans. You could convince me of basically anything like you said, Zion in the running for MVP and they're near the top of the West, or yeah, they finish to quote John Hollinger, eight and seventy four. Because every single player on the team had a season ending injury. Not going to rule that one out either. Trey Murphy the third meniscus injury. He's out probably to start this year. Jose Alvarado, he's got an ankle injury during the offseason. They're hoping he is back and healthy for Game one of the regular season, but that's an issue. And then over the weekend, the Pelicans said Naji Marshall has been diagnosed with a bone bruise in his knee after undergoing an MRI. He's going to be reevaluated in two weeks, so maybe he's not there to start like the already and then yeah, the superstars. I mean, Zion has what missed more than sixty percent of his team's total games toot his career. Tough to bet on this team and this stat I said it last year. I think it still blows my mind. The Pelicans brought in CJ McCollum at the twenty two trade deadline twenty two trade deadline. He has played a total of ten games with Zion and Brandon Ingram, the three of them out there. Yeah, like they're three best players, three really good players, but we've never seen them play basically, So I am going under.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because when you're looking at like the games played from this team last year, it's like your best two players are CJ. McCollum and Yonis Valanciunas for the majority of the season. Because those guys are reliable, but they ain't carrying you to a lot of wins. So yeah, I gotta go under. But man, if they if you told me you could get eighty two games out of every player on the roster for every team in the NBA, you would still be talking about the Pelicans as like maybe they could finish third in the Western Conference. They play everybody.
Speaker 3: Yep, Final one here, San Antonio Spurs twenty eight and a half women. Yama arrived in San Antonio as the league's most anticipated prospect since Lebron. He's looked great in his preseason action, doing some wild things. Because of this, probably Pop signed a five year extension to keep him there with the organization for at least a little while. They also signed Devin Vessel not that long ago to a multi year contract extension. It's a young, young roster, but do you believe in them? You know, flirting around the third you win mark or are you going to be going under?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be going under. This is another somebody has to lose team, and I think it will be the San Antonio Spurs. They were really bad last season. You know, they didn't finish with the worst record in the NBA, but it kind of obscured the fact that they were twenty ninth in offense thirtieth in defense last season. I'm guessing they're in the teens at the very least defensively this year. Theoretically, they will get more games from Devin Vessel, and then Victor should be an impact player defensively right away. He's going to be Deon Sanders except for the half of the Corties taking away as the half underneath the basket. It's going to be amazing just watching this guy play offensively. I think it'll be a little bit more of a struggle for him once he gets going into the NBA and has to deal with stronger guys who know all the NBA tricks. If they're able to get into the top twenties in offense and the teams in defense, I think they can challenge the over But I'm going under here. I think they'll be careful with wemby rookie centers, they don't necessarily have a huge impact. This isn't the usual rookie center.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know. This will be maybe the most watched bad team in NBA history. WHOA at least since like Lebron's rookie season with the Cavs.
Speaker 3: Well, I just went and checked. I was like, I know they didn't make the playoffs, but how many wins. Did Lebron's rookie Calves team rack up? They got to thirty five and forty seven? Not bad, really not bad. You know, obviously would hit the over here. We're talking Lebron playing with big Z, Ricky Davis, Carlos Boozer, Ma Teen Cleeves, Jeff McInnis, you know, high renewable, crazy man jop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it was not a great team, but rookie Lebron even got them to thirty five wins. I mean, is that where Victor is? Is he going to just be automatically coming in here and and takes you to a thirty plus win team what you've seen so far, you could you understand why that it's a possibility. But this is the Spurs too.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: They don't they don't really, they don't rush anything.
Speaker 2: They don't rush, they don't.
Speaker 3: They don't. They're smart about it. So hmm. It pains me to take the under on this one. I feel like I'm gonna regret this one, but I think I would just just take the under. Too young. They're just so so so young. All right, we've gone through every team. Let's hear your three Western Conference over under locks. Do you have all three this morning, because when we were doing the East, you had two locks and then we sort of had to find a third that you felt good about. Oh I you got three.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm firing here. Memphis over forty five and a half, Okay, the Grizzlies are good. They're a regular season wins machine. They've got a system. Taylor Jenkins pulls guys out of the woodwork, So I think, like Santiel Damas, like who is this guy? And he's legitimately a rotation player. John Conchard the same thing, just legitimately a rotation player. So I think some of those guys will hit, and then who knows, maybe Zier Williams actually takes a step forward. I remember they traded up to get him back in the day, so his development would be big. To go in the Clippers under forty six and a half. Who knows, but I feel confident going under on a Clippers team just because they are the Clippers. And then my probably my riskiest one is Denver over fifty two and a half. I still think they're gonna be awesome, but they definitely lost some depth. They're relying on younger guys this season. But I think they're gonna have to play out the whole year and not have as much of a chance to chill in the late part of the season. And of course they've still got the best home court advantage and the best player in basketball. So I'm going over fifty two and a half for them.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like those my three locks. I'm gonna take two teams in the Pacific Division and hit the over the Kings forty four and a half, disrespectful. Come on, they're gonna win forty five games once again. They're gonna be flirting with that fifty win mark. I actually believe. So I'm going Sacramento over. I'm going Suns over. I'm not gonna overthink it. Fifty one and a half. I know maybe they are shawl. I think they'll have enough guys contributing to their big three. I just think they're gonna be an offense. It's a juggernaut. I mean, surprise surprise like that on many nights is gonna be unstoppable. And then you even get to the end of games, and you've got three options to hit game winners and to run plays for and a runoff ball action, and we gotta focus on kd o Gez, there's Booker, Oh my god. Then there's Bill that is a nightmare. I think they win fifty two games, and then I'm gonna go Pelicans under forty four and a half. We just talked about it. They're already coming in banged up. I'm not banking on a Zion Williamson playing, you know, seventy games by any means, and even some of their other guys. I just think I think all these teams, like we said, there's so many teams bunched up anywhere from forty four to forty nine wins. Of that group of let's say nine teams, one if not two are probably gonna fall out and maybe have to pivot their season around a trade deadline or stuff like that just because they're too far back. So I guess I'll bank on the Pelicans being that I'm going under.
Speaker 2: Gonna be a lot of jockey game for position. I do believe at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: It's just perked up.
Speaker 2: He loves it. He's like, wait, call me when we're jockey.
Speaker 3: That's what they should tell of night one. We are jockeying for positions.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, goes out.
Speaker 3: Puts up forties and twenties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but it does feel like we're gonna have so many teams that are like forty five to forty wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there could be ten teams in that right, Yeah, absolutely should be a great, great season there in the Western Conference. All right, there it is. We've done the East, We've now done the West. I know you agree with some of our picks. I know you disagree with some of the other ones. We love to hear your input. Leave your comments in the YouTube section, tweet at us at No dunks Ink. Make sure you like the show, make sure you subscribe. We're back tomorrow with some NBA award predictions. I think we'll do the key ones, of course, I'm talking MVPs, Rookie of the Years and stuff like that. We'll show you the odds on all that stuff as well. Maybe pick our favorites, maybe give you a dark horse pick, and then maybe we can come up with some like silly awards. Cool, you know, some made up No dunks awards.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I think that's the plan for tomorrow. Join us Wednesday, ten am Eastern. I'll also be doing No Bunts with my guy Joel in Taiwan over at the Athletic Baseball Show feed that's early early tomorrow morning. Did you watch any baseball here of these championship series? Does? Phillies? Man, they can't stop socking Dingers.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't know if I should be rooting for these guys. They knocked at Lann out of the playoffs back to back seasons.
Speaker 3: They got that dog? Yeah you like it? They do? I do.
Speaker 2: I love their scumbag energy clevades their team.
Speaker 3: Right now it's at least looking like Rangers Phillies. But a lot of baseball still to be played. So anyway, I'll be alive with Joel at about eight to fifteen tomorrow the Athletic Baseball Show, and then we'll be here at No Dunks at ten am. All right till then, Clipper bros.
Speaker 2: You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up. Love you guys, awesome, Thanks for joining us. And remember the next big advance in automotive technology is completely flat interiors.
Speaker 3: Brace the day of people