Speaker 1: Hello, gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It's La La Kent with Randall, and we are still quarantine. We are quarantined af We.
Speaker 3: Are quarantinedf you know, it feels like every day that goes by is more wearing on our souls. It's just tough.
Speaker 1: Oh my soul is done dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I feel like I look out the window and it could be a gorgeous day, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, fuck this day, it doesn't fucking matter.
Speaker 2: No, And then the press gets on and he's like, I think we need to extend this until April thirtieth, which granted, I'm like, great, if that's going to keep us healthy.
Speaker 3: Safe wise, obviously, Yeah, And let me just second that, like I get it, okay, works to anybody, or thirtieth. We're saving lives, We're trying to hit our peak, you know, of the virus, so that we can start going back to some form of normalcy. But I'm going to tell you a lat I've never been affected by this. I mean, I'm sorry, let me rewind that I've never been affected. Like yeah, it's almost like a bad dream. Every day you wake up and you want like, you know me, I'm an optimist, so I wake up and I'm like, let's attack, let's crush the day.
Speaker 2: Let's you know, yeah, I take over the world, right, you have a lot of energy.
Speaker 3: I do, but but it's wearing, and it's emotional, and it's it's every day I'm fighting with myself, you know, to try to stay positive and listen to friends and and and just you know, be optimistic. You know, in a time that's not easy to be optimistic in.
Speaker 2: You know what is so crazy though, Like I'm antisocial. Everyone knows that, Like this quarantine. It's like I wasn't socializing with people before this, you know, like it takes a lot to just get me out of my house. No.
Speaker 3: The only way you get out of the house, by the way, let's just be clear so people know is if there's.
Speaker 1: A job, a job yet.
Speaker 3: Or for a family member other than that.
Speaker 2: And for the gym, which you always go to the gym, right, So for me, that's where like for me going to the gym. The reason why I pay for a trainer is because I will not work out otherwise. I haven't worked out while we've been quarantined, not that a.
Speaker 3: Day, nothing, not even no nothing.
Speaker 2: I have a trainer for that reason because I'm held accountable. I get up, I go to the gym in the morning.
Speaker 3: You're paying, I'm paying.
Speaker 2: That's so it's like that's an incentive.
Speaker 3: Of course, you're somebody. If you lose five dollars, you.
Speaker 2: Go, I go and say. And so for me, the workout in the morning is what the driving force of my day. It's like, once I get that done, it's like, oh my gosh, I can't wait to go do this, do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know what I notice, And obviously I took it all for granted, but I mean just life, you know. Yeah, But I remember I go to the office at like nine am, right, and then you'd call me. Always abound between eight and ten, you were like no one could talk to you. It was like, angry, get the coffee. I'm going to the gym, the coffee.
Speaker 2: Go to the gym.
Speaker 1: Don't talk to me until it's finished.
Speaker 3: By eleven thirty, you'd call me with that, Hey, what are we doing today? Or I'm coming by the office. We got to do this. And I noticed that, and now we don't have that kick for you. And also I don't have that kick at the top of the day, and I think I'm thinking about everybody, Like lots of friends of mine I've talked to, they don't have that kit. There's nowhere to find it. Because all we're hoping is can we go back to our normal lives? And also we don't want to die. So these are two things that I don't think we ever thought we'd have to face as a as a world, as a as the universe. Right, It's like, it's not like you I'm trying to put these in words. It's not like you. You have a friend who's sick, and you go to the hospital and you want you pray for them, and you want them to get better, right, and you go back to your office and you try to go on with your day. But everybody's in the same boat. Everybody's hoping that they stay healthy. And everybody's quarantined to their house, so their apartment or we're our friend's house. So I just feel like we're all in this zombie likesf.
Speaker 1: That's exactly how I feel.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to be I'm going to fill you guys in on something right now.
Speaker 1: I'm a conspiracy theorist.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I think that this is a way for the government to gain control of the human race, and it's gone very badly. And I will well in my mind it's gone bad for someone very high up. It could be this is exactly what they were hoping for. The reason that I conformed is because COVID nineteen is taking people's lives.
Speaker 1: So I do stay in my house.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do stay in my house because God forbid I catch it, and even more, God forbid I give it to someone who's older if I were to have it, which I do not.
Speaker 1: But I believe.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, something's going on. Something is going on. And Randall is totally He's like, you're crazy, lot.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting I'm sitting two feet from you. I want to fall out of my chair right now. But law, here's the thing. You're my partner and I love you. If you believe this is conspiracy, then I have to let you believe that. And I've read articles where people believe that. Here's what I believe. I believe that some idiot far away I ate some fucking animal that they shouldn't have been fucking eating. And all the scientists are saying, and medical specialists that this was like the perfect storm, like it took the virus into this person in China and manifested itself perfectly and then was able to mutate going to other people, and here we are with a worldwide pandemic. All I'm going to say is this sucks. I don't give a shit. I've woken up every day, you know me a lot. See she's smiling now if you guys can see her. The thing is, she knows that I'm the biggest optimist and for me and for me to wake up daily and feel this dark cloud like everybody's feeling, you know, you're trying to make the best of it. You really do, but it's not easy.
Speaker 2: Randall's mad because he can't go direct his movie.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Randall is like a fucking uh what is that? The energizer bunny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good word.
Speaker 2: Keep going and going and going.
Speaker 1: That is you.
Speaker 2: And so for you, the dark cloud is because you can't be out and about and socializing and doing this and do you have sound.
Speaker 3: It's like a creative person and it's.
Speaker 1: Totally I get that hard for an.
Speaker 3: Artist, whether you're a filmmaker or an actor or a director or anything, it's hard when you don't have an outlet to be creative. So I mean, the great thing and I said to you today is let's just get on our podcast because we like it's something that gets us to be able to share our feelings and talk about things.
Speaker 2: Well, it makes me again, I am driven, like I'm not leaving the house unless I'm going to someone else's house like Katie or Brittany's, or if I'm getting paid to leave my house.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Otherwise I don't see a reason to leave my house. I'm like quarantined with or without coronaout.
Speaker 3: I can ask a question. I understand that because I've been with you for four years. Right. The thing that I want to know that I think that you're not, that you're missing here is that even though you love the luxury of just chilling, Let's say, is you had the option that if I called you and said law or you call me at work. Here's per For example, you sometimes once in a while, once a week, say babe, what are we doing for dinner? Do you want to go somewhere? Why don't try something different? And I'd be like, okay, and we got right.
Speaker 1: The option is gone.
Speaker 3: The option's gone, yeah, Or what about this, babe, I want to get on the plane and go to wherever, go to go to Miami a week for a couple of days, and just how about just go get a massage at the twenty dollars you know, back massage place right right.
Speaker 2: We can't even go do that as and before this got super crazy, like before it got real crazy, Okay, this messuse that Randal and I love was like, yeah, I can like come over and massage you guys.
Speaker 1: I'll just avoid the neck.
Speaker 2: Right the head in the face, and I'm like.
Speaker 3: That's all you.
Speaker 1: The only part I like that was a point a damn point no.
Speaker 3: I mean, And what I'm saying is like the basic things that like and look as a man, I can admit I like petticure manicures. We okay, why are you smiling?
Speaker 2: Because I can picture you in the chair getting your manny petty but fresh.
Speaker 3: But the thing is you and I used to like to go do that. It was like a fun little thing. It was like a half hour. And the thing is, we have no options. And the options are you have to be really creative right now. But on top of that, you have to keep your spirit up.
Speaker 2: And look, my spirit has remained up by playing endless amounts of rumming cues, and I got a coloring book and a cran set of one hundred and fifty two, and Rand's kids pulled one of my crans out of my coloring box and I was like, oh, hel no, oh hail no. And then they asked me for a page of my color. I was like, you know, this is my coloring book and my crans.
Speaker 3: Like, I just want to tell you something, Laala. It was more than that. People don't understand. You look like somebody had robbed your last five dollars. Of course, your arms swooped into those krans like they were the second.
Speaker 2: Oh, I wiped one right out of the six year old tent. I was like, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: She looked like she had seen a ghost. She I don't think she knew Lala could move that fast. She went for the kran. You write the cran you said, it's my box.
Speaker 2: I bought the girls their own pack of ninety six.
Speaker 3: Oh you know the number? This is how details you?
Speaker 2: Maybe it was sixty four, I can't remember, but it was a lot. They had their own crans.
Speaker 3: When this airs, will you will you please.
Speaker 1: Give Crayola a shout out? Of course, Crayola has kept me sane in this, But will.
Speaker 3: You also promote your art? Will you show people some of these colorings, because you haven't left the table in two weeks?
Speaker 2: Two boks No. And the coloring book is the pages are like police, you know, like Barcelona, Miami, all of these amazing places. And I just sit there in color and I'm like, one day, one day I can come back to you.
Speaker 3: It's it's great. And I watch you. I've seen you and your mom every single day for two and a half weeks. Now, this is what the day consists of. Wake up, Yeah, everybody looks at each other like, oh shit, we're fucked again. And then and then and then and then we all say okay, thank God we're healthy. We do that little prayer yes, and then it goes from there to coloring yes, follow by moping around again for a few more hours, follow by television, follow by four hours of rummy cue is it Rummy cube? Yeah, Rummy cube Yeah.
Speaker 2: Speaking of television, the mother effing Tiger King.
Speaker 1: Oh oh god, okay, every let me just say this. Let me just say this.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 1: Everyone on the internet is.
Speaker 4: Like, oh MG, this is crazy, ohmg, psychotic. For me, it made me sick to my stomach that millions upon millions of dollars were spent on this lawsuit between the Tiger King and Carol Baskin and all these other fuck ups that I can't believe our world has people like.
Speaker 1: This, Like it makes me sick. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: I was raised in Utah and I came west to California, Like we're open minded, we're normal.
Speaker 1: Those people.
Speaker 2: I'm like, those people exist on our planet, Like, we're fucked. If there's more people like that, we are fucked. My whole thing was it went back to the all the money that was wasted that could have gone to helping the fucking lions, tigers, bears in captivity, the apes. As an animal activist, like you know, Blackfish changed.
Speaker 1: My entire life.
Speaker 2: Yes, when I saw that documentary, it just like transformed everything. Yes, my new cause, I think is like getting people to understand what the fuck it means to rehabilitate an animal.
Speaker 3: I need to weigh in here. So you promoted this documentary to me for a long time. For about a week straight, you kept saying you need to see this, and I kept seeing online people going crazy over him. So finally you got me to sit down and I watched the first episode. I was hooked, hooked. Okay, it is surreal, it's amazing, and I know that you're going to get angry because I think it's amazing television. Let's start there. Yes, the people are fucked up with the abuse of how they put in these animals. But what I want to tell you is this this guy, Tiger, the Tiger King, that's his name, Tiger King.
Speaker 1: Joe Exotic, Joe Exotic.
Speaker 3: Yes, Joe Exotic should have been the biggest country star ever. He is phenomenal, voice, phenomenal. He should have been in Nashville. Got rid of the animals and gone off and said.
Speaker 2: You want to know what's so insane is that Joe Exotic.
Speaker 1: To me, was the most likable one.
Speaker 3: I like Joe Exotic.
Speaker 2: Carol Baskin is up in here, fucking fooling everyone, acting like she has a sanctuary.
Speaker 3: For about Carol Baskin, She's full of shit. She's full of shit shit, And.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, Carol, she loves to see everybody.
Speaker 1: She sues everybody for what our opinion.
Speaker 3: It's free speech.
Speaker 2: I don't tough shit, tough.
Speaker 3: Shit, and I'm in quarantine, so I don't give a shit, Carol Baskin now, Oh no, yeah, you know what. We're both going in.
Speaker 1: Know what though, miss Joe Exotic.
Speaker 3: Joe is that if we come there and rescue.
Speaker 2: Joe Exotic is on the other side now he's talking to Peta.
Speaker 3: He's.
Speaker 2: The most powerful moment in that entire documentary was when Joe Exotic said, you want to know why they say animals dyeing cages, It's because their soul dies.
Speaker 1: And right then I was like, you fucking get it right.
Speaker 2: It has nothing to do with the way that you're loving that animal behind a cage. They don't belong in there.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, and I always stand by your cause.
Speaker 2: But then we have these fuckers that go out like the guy that owns Jimmy Johns and he's out fucking pop being these beautiful animals for sport, you know, like trophy hunting. Again, these people exist on our planet and it it's terrifying.
Speaker 3: People don't know your obsession and passion for animal rights. I mean, when we go to Las Vegas, you will not stay at certain hotels. We're not gonna mention it. So don't do that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, But you guys know which hotels.
Speaker 3: She just won't stay at hotels where there's any animals kept in captivity, so no. So basically in Las Vegas and other places all over the world, we're limited to about four hotels.
Speaker 2: I also do extensive research on zoos, because if you think I'm walking into a zoo, which I haven't been to a zoo since I was a kid, but I really do the fucking work to see if that zoo really really is doing what they claim to do.
Speaker 3: True, You're true about this stuff at all.
Speaker 2: What I do want to say is some people are up on the internet and they're like, oh my god, the people of vander Pump Rules or whatever reality show like people like this exist.
Speaker 1: You know what, We're fucking gems compared to people.
Speaker 2: That exist who are doing real, fucking dirty shows.
Speaker 3: Well, none of you guys are are evil in spirit. Those those some of these people out there on some of these documentaries on watch air.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Though they're vicious, they're not only vicious, but they're just uneducated people.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, that's why they make great televisions.
Speaker 1: He's like, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: And then that, and then one of the guys is like, and my wife's pregnant and he's like showing the nanny. I'm like, stop creating, stop having babies.
Speaker 3: Don't but take a second for one second and say you were addicted to that documentary. It was high level. It was one of the most entertainments.
Speaker 1: Addicted.
Speaker 2: I can't I go to bed dreaming about it.
Speaker 3: You wish there were another ten episodes?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: But then I read this, Uh, the director or the producers did a Q and A, and I read about the process of them filming over five years, and one of the girls that worked on it was like, you know, I feel like this has ended.
Speaker 1: Like I did my job.
Speaker 2: And everything, and I was like, you know what, I just hope that something great comes out of this, and people watching the documentary don't focus too much on the stories of the people and focus on why they made that documentary, and that was to shed light on big cats in captivity.
Speaker 3: Well, I think everybody saw that, and they also were exposed Like, for instance, I've never even knew this exists in the US. So for me, somebody that knows about a lot a lot about animal rights because of being with you, I think that even opened my eyes further. So I think a lot of people are going to be educated and be sensitives and stuff. I want to just pivot here to get ready for our guests, okay, in which I'm really really excited.
Speaker 1: Was our guest Rand tell them.
Speaker 3: Our guest is an actor who I met because friends of mine were friends of mine in the industry were concerned, and friends of this person's names Brad Schmidt, and he contracted covid okay, and I about ten days ago, I saw on his story that he had gone into the hospital and he had written this really lengthy story and now as a young man in his thirties with no underlying health issues, and he went to the doctor basically came down with it, didn't feel good. Went to the doctor, they couldn't get a test, went home, gave him some medication. He got worse, worse, to the point where he told me he thought he was breathing shards of glass. Wow. And fast forward. Finally his doctor said, on day six, it was so bad, he said, you need to walk yourself into the emergency room to get a test. Watch selse the emergency room. He had double pneumonia in each of pneumonia each of his lungs. They tested him, they came back positive, and basically I think he was basically fighting for his life to get stabilized. And he just got released yesterday or the day before, and we're going to have him call in and we're going to I really am excited about this because I want people to know and hear from somebody that's in your age group, and that's you know, younger than me, but was perfectly healthy and here was fighting for his life. And I think that's the seriousness of this virus that we need to hear about.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's get him on the phone and we will be right back.
Speaker 3: All right, We're back, law. What's up?
Speaker 1: We have a very special guest on the line.
Speaker 3: We do. We have Brad Schmidt. Brad say hello everybody. So, Brad, you are somebody who I linked up with friends of mine or friends of yours and through social media about twelve or fourteen days ago. I had seen that you contracted COVID. Is that correct? Correct? And the reason I have you on because I've been texting you daily, you know, and keeping in touch with you in the hospital and we've never met. But it went very sweet by the way you know. It really affected me because you know, somebody who's forty years old, you have a wife, you have two young children, a healthy guy, you have no underlying issues. Correct, true?
Speaker 5: Well, true?
Speaker 3: Ye, So I see this, I see your story. I moved and I start texting you and you tell me you know, you're in really bad shape at the hospital. So basically what I want to do is I want people to understand from somebody who's been through this, how serious this became, and how somebody who is young and healthy is affected. Because I was affected by your story. I was floored, emotional, I was I was sad, I was you know, I just was freaked the fuck out. And if I'm freaked the fuck out and you're laying in a hospital bed where your family can't be with you, I want you to take us through the journey from when you first had symptoms and kind of give us like a diary.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think you know, like most people in the beginning, that's just progressing. I mean, like I said, you know, I'm healthy, responsible, and like I'm always washing my hands. I have no underlying health issues. So like observing this to the news and hearing stories, it always felt like something once removed like, Okay, it's going on. It's there, but it's not going to happen to me. This isn't something that's going to affect me. And if it does, it's the flu. Like I'll beat it. It's okay, I'm not worried about it. It was a Friday, I would say Fridays. I think it was like Friday the thirteenth. Ironically about that, wow, yeah, I started to feel, you know, like a little kind of under the weather. I had a cold coming on then that evening, I think when I went to bed, I had kind of the chills, and I thought to myself, all right, you know what, I'm a load up and inviting and see, I'm going to rest. It's going to kind of sleep through the weekend and sleep it off. And usually I can bounce back from a cold really quickly. Well, that Monday rolled around the sixteenth, and brother, I was, I'm gonna say it. I don't care. I was fucked up.
Speaker 3: That's okay, allowed, after what you've been through, you could say whatever you.
Speaker 5: Want, Okay, good, all right, we'll clear it. But there's no other way for me to put it. Like you know, I'm pretty aware, like anybody that's really healthy of like when my body feels a little bit off, but it's like something you haven't felt before. I felt that way, so I called my doctor. They told me to come in and basically just kind of get a test for the flu, do a scan of my lungs. And I knew something was really off and I had this odd I really like it, like really odd. They call it a dry cough. I don't know if that's right, but it's it was almost like a weeze. And I'm like, Okay, this doesn't feel right. So I go. When I sit down, my doctor's not there. If you feel like I see another doctor, a very sweet guy, doctor Jason Waie, and he's you know, looking at me. Everybody's masked up. Everybody's a little bit freaked out because COVID is starting to kind of pop off, and they don't really know like how to treat you. Meaning you know, I was I was a baby, you know, like in the early you know, eighties, but I imagine it was like you know, when you contracted AIDS at the onset of that disease, people just didn't know how to treat you. So they put me in this private room. They had me throwing a mask and they did a scan of my lungs first.
Speaker 3: I actually thought of that the other day. I was thinking about when the AIDS epidemic first came onto the scene. What the eighties, you know, look or late seventies, early eighties, what that looked like. I think people went through a very similar Just why didn't have the knowledge?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, nobody knows, that's the thing. And you don't want to make it like a one to one obviously, but I have to tell you, no one knew what to do. Oh Like, even even when I went into the hospital, they had a guard kind of slash nurse just inside the doors. And I'll never forget I walked in when they were going to knit me. I gave the guy my name, and right away he knew who I was because they were expecting me. Wow, someone was trying to come into the doors behind me and he started screaming, what stay out, stay out, stay out. So I like processed me and I thought, holy fucking shit.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have a question, is this is this day too? Are you on day two now or day three? When we're when we're at this one.
Speaker 5: So and you see la I'm at day three, okay, so I'm usually i'm a day three to do a scan. They see, you've got a very small spot on your lungs, like basically like an acute bronchitess. I'm like, okay, they give me a regular food test. The food test comes back right away. You're negative. So they're like, look, you do listen to this. You do not meet all the symptoms for COVID.
Speaker 3: Oh this is what.
Speaker 5: They told me, and I knew. I was like, oh fuck, they're not going to test me. So they said, listen, go home. Yeah, they sent me home.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god.
Speaker 5: And you know what it wasn't It wasn't the doctor's fault, right, They just said a didn't have the tests or be they weren't able to get them. So he said, listen, we'll keep checking in with you, but I can't give you a test. Go home if your fever gets worse. Because my fever was at around one hundred consistently. I'm not too crazy, but I had a fever. Well have you come back in.
Speaker 3: Did you ask for the test? Because I'm curious at that point because I know they didn't have the test. Thing you asked for it, and they said, I did, you don't meet the criteria.
Speaker 5: Well, and it wasn't so black and white. He did say that. But my understanding was he had to contact someone at least at this moment, because this is fairly early on when this started breaking out, he had to contact someone at the TDC the permission to be able to get me a test. And I'm thinking, they're fucking kidding me. Wow, Okay, well what am I going to do? Right? Yeah? So I go home. I go home. Okay, cold sweats are getting worse. Cost starts getting progressively worse, fever starts going up.
Speaker 3: Are we in day four?
Speaker 5: Now we're day four, day four, day five, like around two that that Tuesday, like the seventeenth, thank you, like Saint Patrick's day exactly.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: And so the fever kept getting progressively worse and each day, so the sixteen seventeen eighteen, the HOTA you see, I would call on check in. There's literally nothing they could do. They would say, doctor Lee is still trying to get be okay for a test, but we can't get a test. So now keep in mind, this is like some backstory we don't really need to get into. But my wife is she's doing like a career change. She's in the middle of the nursing school. Oh right now in Wyoming, right at the University of Wyoming with she's got my kids, and so she's getting freaked out too because she's not here to like take care of me or check in on me. So finally the eighteenth, so we're day one, two, three, four, five. Now, I mean I couldn't even got a bed.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold on, hold on, So just so I understand on day five. On day five, you couldn't, like the fever was so bad, the shakes everything, you couldn't leave. Now you can't walk around, I mean, you're that sick. No, oh my god. Yeah, this is a nightmare.
Speaker 5: To get from my bedroom to the bathroom like an en suite, which was maybe five yards. I got a breath that I'd be lightheaded, like literally out of breath.
Speaker 3: At that point I got. At that point I go to the hospital. There's not even a.
Speaker 5: Question, well yeah, and then the question is like, well do you just sit at the hospital? Do they It's just there's no clear information.
Speaker 3: Scary this story for me right now, and I'm telling you, I have anxiety filling my body because I can't imagine. I can't imagine what you're feeling, because it's not like you could just drive to the hospital and they were ready like today, you know what I mean, Like two weeks later, they're obviously handling this differently, But you were at the you were at the beginning of this, you know, So so tell me now what happens five days in.
Speaker 5: So the nurse calls and I mean, I at this point of hacking, it's just a mess, and I don't internally freak out much, but I was internally freaking out because I could feel myself deteriorating. I could feel my lung getting heavier. And the nurse says, doctor Lee couldn't couldn't get anyone in the CBC to approve a test, right, just get yourself, get in your car, take yourself into Saint jos in Burbank because they had apparently released like a couple hundred tests that they were giving there. So I get in my car, I drive over there, which was like a chore park. I start walking up and they kind of have this whole outdoor tenting system kind of set up, like it reminded me of that above et where they had like all the tents set up and the doctors walking around and have mess suits. So luckily, like literally, by the grace of God, I was able. I was like the third one there and it only took like about an hour and a half and I was able to get in. I sat down. The doctor came into the tent, I took one look at me, and basically he didn't say it, but he was like, holy fuck. So he turned around. They got a test test kit. He came in. It's really long, it's a swab and they just stick it way in the back here and it's really uncomfortable. Tested me for the regular flu.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 5: That was negative, and he'sas listening to go home, just lay down, just try to stay high grated, and we're going to call you within two to three days with the test resulte.
Speaker 3: So they send you home again, Send me home again.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and you know partially because while you know I had a bad temperature, my vitals on the whole were fairly okay. But one thing that was not good. And I have to tell you this and anybody that's listening that is like exercises or runs a lot. When you're done, like exercising your heart rate. Your your standing heart rate's usually pretty low. Mine is usually hovers around like a fifty to fifty five A MC geek guy, I was kind of track at my heart rate. There's basically no activity was in one twenty? What my heart? What is cranking? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh so your heart was an overdrive. I mean it was an under drive just to just to breathe, just a function. I just this is this is scary.
Speaker 5: So of retrospect, it makes sense. Why people would, you know, pre existing conditions or hard conditions or just long issues in general, you know, or are passing away. So I go home. I think we're like at day six. Now a day seven, that's Thursday, that's nineteenth.
Speaker 3: They call.
Speaker 5: The doctor calls and get this. It's a nurse. Excuse me. She calls and she says Brad Schmidt. I'm like yeah. She says, hey, you know, you know, nurse so and so I was at the hospital. We tested you. You test came back it's positive. I'm like, okay, I'm positive. So I'm like I'm expecting them to be like I come in coming right away right.
Speaker 3: Like I would. I would, I would be in the car on that phone call. I mean, I would there would even be a conversation. But the one thing I want to tell people I can tell just from texting and now talking to you, law I mean you could tell lot he's a very level headed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're very calm, loll and I would.
Speaker 3: Be on a stretch.
Speaker 5: So this is what shots right, helicop you're coming in picking you up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So you're tested positive and you would think they would tell you to come in right away.
Speaker 1: So what happens?
Speaker 5: No, they don't. Oh so she says, you're positive, Like, how do you feel? I'm like, you know, in my head right and my animal brain of the kind of fuck do you think I feel?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: But I said, you know, but honestly right, I'm like, you're not feeling great. The coughing is getting more persistence. You said, listen, I'm going to talk to the hospital. She's within a couple hours. If you're not, if things are not feeling level off at all, you're not feeling better, call me. We're going to have to come in. We're going to admit you. And you know what I'm realizing in retrospect is he they didn't know, which is they just didn't have a lot of information b they were worried about beds, you know. I mean, if I'm a guy who has it, even though my cimizens are bad, and I can beat it on my own by fink quarantines, as opposed to someone who's going to legitimately die, they want to save the bed for that person.
Speaker 3: They want for people that need it. But I want to say something here to people listening. I really believe that if you've been and now, what day are you on, Brad, six at this point or five?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Seven? I'm like going to day seven.
Speaker 5: I'm on to day six seven, yes, seven, yeah.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, in my opinion, And Brad, tell me if you look backwards at this, if you were giving advice to me and I was on day six or seven and I couldn't breathe well, and I couldn't get out of bed and my fever was spiking, wouldn't you tell me get your ass the emergency room at this point.
Speaker 5: Pick your fucking ass up off the floor and get to the hospital.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that's the advice I'm saying. I get I get what you're saying, and I agree with you. If you're a healthy young person, you know, three days in four days in you have a fever one hundred and you can kind of walk around, then you don't need to go to the hospital. I guess I'm not giving advice as a doctor. I'm saying I respect what you're saying, and I would agree with you personally right law. But if you're day six or seven and you shit's bad, it's time to go to the er and say help me.
Speaker 5: You understand, you know, I've had a couple of friends reach out to me. You know, actors on both coasts here and in New York who you know they've been around groups of people they're feeling sick. And even Randall, you know, you kind of hit me up and you were talking to me and saying you weren't feeling great. What were the two indicators that I would say, don't even hesitate. If you've had a fever and it's a low grade fever like around one hundred and it's not going away, and you've got the chills and you've got coughs, don't listen to what anybody tells you. Get up, go to the hospital, go to your doctor, just sit there until they test you. That those are the two things that I would say, especially if you have kids, you have loved ones that you live with. I don't even wait, just go so you can leavely know whether you are and you're not, and then you can know what to do next. That's what I've been telling anybody that's been asking me.
Speaker 2: Well, absolutely, And do you think that they may like just because you're a healthy dude, And you may have answered this already, I'm just like in a daze with what you're saying, because I'm going to be honest with you.
Speaker 1: I'm a conspiracy theorist. I like this.
Speaker 2: I think was concocted by somebody. It's affecting people, obviously, like yourself. Do you think that they sent you away because they looked at you and they were like, Okay, he has a better chance then you know, say a seventy year old who comes in, and we want to save the beds for those people.
Speaker 5: With all due respect and not to minimize a life for anybody, but one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So they basically were they basically were playing. Basically, they're looking at you saying you're not on your last lung. Yeah, in their mind, in their mind, go home, you should be fine. You're gonna get through this. They didn't have all the tools at that point.
Speaker 5: No, they've they've fought me like tooth and nail to get tests. I mean a multiple. I mean it was unreal. And even my doctor and I'm like, they're nable out there. But my doctor has been a maternity who leads. Finally got a hold of me when I was in the hospital and she said, Brad, oh my god, and I was. She was looking at a chart telling you what was going on. She said, they should have taken you into the hospital and give you a test, like that's the first time you went in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, And this is how people are dying in my opinion. In addition to underline, but I think people are going in and they don't think it's that bad, and they think it's the flu, or the hospital's not ready to take them, or there's you know, the tests are taking too long. And thank god this country now is got finally is it feels like if you need a test, you can get it. But I mean, this is a horrific story. I mean, your story, thank god, is being told so people can see what has happened with this healthcare system.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's also you know you've shed a lot of light for me, because I'm somebody who if I keep if I keep my blinders on, you know, I think of it as like, I know it's happening.
Speaker 1: It's just the flu.
Speaker 2: If I get it, I'll kick it, and you know, because it's not that, and I think your story will open a lot of people's eyes and be aware.
Speaker 5: Especially honestly, it's why I that's why I posted. It's why did that post. It's why I have my wife kind of reposted, you know, because I was kind of dismissing it a little bit in the beginning. It was there, but like, yeah, whatever, and I had some good friends against some you know, working actors and people that I know that travel a lot, really just kind of poopooing it, like really just like, eh, that's not a big deal. Guess what it fucking is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, No, this is no, this is no joke. And I don't want to say that to that effect that COVID this is really beyond its waste. I don't even know how to use the right word. It is. You know, I was reading an article yesterday, law and I was reading this article, and you know, it brought so many tears to my eyes. How people are dying alone that you can't you know, that's a new thing. Now, can you bring your loved ones in because you're going to contaminate them, et cetera. And are you prepared to die alone? I think that's another part of this.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing those stories too. Yeah, and I think let's cut you off. Sorry, but you know, one of the most heartbreaking things is like, you know, no one can see you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can come in. I can't even fathom that if you take your last breath and you're not even prepared to die. I mean, you're a young person and that's how you die. This is a risk. Yeah, this is the This is the reality of what we're living in. This is why we're staying at home. This is why we're trying to beat this. Chris, I'm gonna I'm going to run to a commercial break, although I wish I didn't have to. We're gonna come right back. You're not going anywhere, and we're going to keep talking about this because I want to hear the rest of your journey because it is it is everything that we need to hear today.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you so much. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: We are back talking all things health and COVID nineteen. We have our boy Brad Schmidt on the line, who think God has has beat coronavirus. How you feel and be thank you so much for being here or being via phone.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, thanks for so.
Speaker 2: I want to jump into once you got out of the hospital, what wait real.
Speaker 3: Quick, because because you know me, law, I'm in detail.
Speaker 1: You're detail oriented, right, just.
Speaker 3: Take us quick as you got once you got into the hospital. What happened and then and then out of that?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: I get to the hospital and the biggest oh shit moment was they're scanning your lungs once a day. I get to the hospital. They want to take my blood, they throw menoxygen the first thing what they want to do. And they're still not like putting me like in a room. They want to scan my lungs. I do a quick scan while I'm in the bed. They go away. I'm waiting. Twenty minutes, thirty minutes, forty minutes, like an hour goes by, and then the doctor comes in. He's like, okay, we're wheeling you up into a room. I've mentioned to you Randall, I think maybe you have a message. I'm not sure, but that spot on my lungs that they thought was in a cute bronchitis on Monday, which was three and a half days earlier, the COVID. This is what people need to understand. And I know that this doesn't happen to every buddy, but it didn't spread throughout both of my lungs, both of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you told me that you had pneumonia in each of your lungs.
Speaker 5: Correct double ammonia within like three and a half days, So that that kind of kick start of this day. And then you know, one of the last things they'll say. While the doctors were all amazing, I had a promonologist, infectious disease doctor in a general the one thing that they were conferring every day and couldn't decide what to do and ultimately decided not to give me any kind of medicine, was how do we treat this? This is the other thing no one's talking about. People are like, oh, you know, they're doing anti malaria meds, and then there's like this and that and vitamin seed rips. They didn't give me shit primarily, And this this is the truth, because you know, I get again a young I'm healthy, but in my white blood kelts cell count was so far down. They don't know what the side effects are, and there are side effects to these things, and there is no data on a lot of these medications, and they don't know what's going to happen if they give it to you, and they're really giving it to people where it's kind of like a last salvo. It's like the hell, Mary, give me some meds, give them something to try to beat it.
Speaker 3: Let me, let me ask a questions. When they put you on the oxygen, did that feel better?
Speaker 5: I mean, maybe it might have helped, you know, help helped a bit. The I'm gonna screw this up. I'm not a doctor, but the you know, the oxygen level of my blood was really low. I guess they say if it's below like ninety five percent, it's pretty low. I was below ninety, like around eighty five when I got in. And the only thing that really freaked me out the size and the skin was really I had to think think about this. One of the things we don't think about during the day. We never really think about breathing. You just do it. I didn't think about Okay, breathe the bread out, breathing, breathed out, breathem, breathed out. Because I was so restricted and if I was breathing too deep, it felt like I was, you know, swallowing. It was just a crazy thing.
Speaker 3: Yea, this is this is the nightmare of nightmares. So now we're on day seven or eight in the hospital. What happens? That's the turning point. And and this is what I want to ask you. Do you feel in your mind, in your soul that you might die in this bed.
Speaker 5: I honestly don't know. I mean I don't. I don't think that I will. I do know in that moment, I wasn't eating. I had zero appetite for days. I wasn't eating. It hurt the move I was having trouble breathing. I mean, I had had one moment. This is that God is on his trust. I have one moment where I had the nurse kind of get up and help me, kind of like, you know, walk into the bathroom so I could sit down and go to the bathroom. And I was in so much pain and sitting on the toilet and my heart rate was racing because I just walked to the bathroom. I literally was like, oh my god, this is this. You know, I don't want to be dramatic, but if I'm being honest, it's like, fuck, I can't can't get worse because if it gets worse, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: What was going to happen if basically in that moment, you believe, if if it got worse, you basically could be looking at death.
Speaker 5: Possibly.
Speaker 3: That's how bad it was for you.
Speaker 5: In that moment. And you know, the doctors, to their credit, they made the right choice and not you know, giving me anything. You know, my body started to you know, started to recover. They were taking blood twice a day, doing scans every day, and they were you know, encouraged enough.
Speaker 3: Okay, how many how many days in the hospital before they released you? Before you started feeling better? And on what day overall of this experience did do so?
Speaker 5: I spent almost seven days in the hospital.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I would freak out.
Speaker 5: I spent a week in the hospital.
Speaker 3: This is the week. I mean, this is the reality that we're living. And that's the scare.
Speaker 5: You would have told me that anything aside from a car accident of some kind of terrible wreck was going to put me in the hospital for a week when college is fucking crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure, but that's I'm trying to tell people that. That's what I think we're all trying to figure out here, is that when they say stay at home, stay safe.
Speaker 5: Please please please please stay at.
Speaker 3: Home because this You're the example of all of us in this age demographic laalas ten years younger, nine years older. But you know, whether you're twenty five or forty five, or sixty five or eighty five, this happens and affects everybody right now and listening to this. So you get released and now you're day twelve, I assume, or thirteen right now. Where are you at today?
Speaker 5: Fourteen fourteen, day fourteen? You know, I'm feeling progressively better. Okay, today I have moments, I have no energy. I mean, this is why I was texting you, hey, when you want to do this, because I'll probably have an interesty shit, this call, and I'm like, God.
Speaker 3: The day, we are so grateful, we are very grateful for you to do this.
Speaker 5: This is very important, really important. So I'm in an airbnb them away from you know everyone, Uh, just kind of recuperating. I've got a call set up with the doctor tomorrow. They're going to want to test me a couple more times to make sure it's gone because reinfection is also you know, it's a small possibility. And honesty, I just I can't wait.
Speaker 3: To see your kids.
Speaker 5: I can't wait see my wife and kids. I haven't seen them in so long, in a long time.
Speaker 3: So wow, have you have you you haven't seen your kids in two weeks or your wife?
Speaker 5: Oh, longer than that, it's probably been about four about four weeks.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we FaceTime, thank god, you know we have that technology.
Speaker 3: No, of course, But I mean, but but this is the thing I'm talking about. This is what I want people to understand. Not only do you have to go through this horrible, horrible thing that hopefully you survive, but you have to do it alone. You you can't see your family. Your family can't see you. This is probably one of the worst pandemics you know, we've faced in the world. I mean in our lifetime, probably in our lifetime, in our lifetime for sure, but I also think in history this go down as one of the worst. And when when I get mad because I'm sitting in my house, in my kitchen right now. I need to remind myself that the sun is shining, that I'm here. And you know what, even though I'm going to bounce off the walls every day all up, at least, at least I'm at least we're safe and healthy. And I think your your words. People need to hear you because there's only one alternative, and that's you know, death, getting sick and being quarantined alone for a month, or or being healthy in your house.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we just conform and listen to what they're telling us to do.
Speaker 3: Till it's safe for all of us. And I and I do think, uh you know, I think you've been in a roller coaster. Uh you know, and I got it. Honestly, I applaud you and and the minute it's safe to go out, and I mean this with all sincerity, we are going out for a drink and we are going to celebrate, you know, and get fucking handed.
Speaker 5: I have to say this. I have to say this, and I have to have to say this out loud. I got so many messages in DMS and calls from people that I know and that I love. But also just as important is I got messages from people that I don't even fucking know. It's like it was like the beauty of like humanity, Like Randall for example. I know we have like people in common, but we don't know each other. You reached out and you were like, listen, man, get better, like I'm with you, and it really helped. It really really did. So I really appreciate you reaching out. I really do you.
Speaker 3: You were I just want to say this, you were an inspiration in a time. Obviously every week they're getting better with the testing and and and the support and all that. But I knew when I saw somebody a peer of mine, you know, even though we didn't know each other, but in my peer group, in my industry, you know, you live seven minutes down the street from me, I wanted to reach out and say, hey, you've got somebody. If you need something, if I can do anything, let just please have your family call anything I could do. And I also wanted to just be there to say, hey, let me know how you're doing, and know that you can text me if if you know whatever it is, So it means a lot.
Speaker 5: That pretty amazing, awesome, It was pretty amazing. Yeah, it was really amazing. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Well, we are so appreciative that you I know that you're exactly took time and now we want you to go and rest and we hope that you get to see your family soon. Thank you so much for taking our call.
Speaker 5: That's my pleasure.
Speaker 3: Time to take a nap, Yes, bro, and keep texting me daily and let me know that you're you know how you're doing and anything you need. Like I said, you're good.
Speaker 5: Man, Randall, thank you, loll I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you all right.
Speaker 3: Thank you take care.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was intense.
Speaker 3: That that just makes me realize that we are lucky. And even though we're all confined to our homes and we're bitching about not being able to leave our homes. Yeah, listening to his story, I'm gonna take a lap around the house and be grateful because this shit is real and it's horrible and people are dying and people are getting sick. But what doesn't it shock you that somebody in our business, our industry, close to us is young and had no underlying issues.
Speaker 2: Well, it just goes to show you this, this virus, it doesn't discriminate against anybody it's like it will affect you whether you're young, old, middle age, it doesn't matter healthy not healthy. It just affects us in a different way. And you know, after hearing, because I needed to hear that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I did.
Speaker 1: For me, this is a fucking joke.
Speaker 2: If I want to leave my house, And keep in mind, I haven't left my house becauseantined. I've definitely been quarantined and I've done that for other people's safety because I know other people are very much like, get the fuck away from me, and I get it.
Speaker 3: But I think young people in your generation are saying, and I think it's it's not I think they're just some, not all young people. But I think a lot of young people are saying taking the thing of if I get it, I'm I'll be.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll bet see, And for me, I think of it the other way, Like for me, I'm not like, if I get it, I'll be okay.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking, like God forbid, if.
Speaker 2: I leave my house, if I were to have it, if I gave it to someone who couldn't fight it off as easily as I could. That is the only reason why I've stayed quarantined. But I think as we sign off on this episode, you know, I hope next week we have a little bit more of a light hearted episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this way, can I tell you this.
Speaker 2: Was very This is what people I think needed to hear.
Speaker 3: But can I tell you this episode like I didn't have anybody to talk to about COVID because I was petrified. I want to know things. I want to know what the experience was like, to be able to educate myself, to be able to protect you know, our our friends, our family, my kids. And so I think listening to him and him texting me and now hearing him, I think just gives us some real insight that this we got to be extra careful. We've got to you know, even though we're quarantine, and we just have to know that this could affect anybody. And I think young people when they get you know, arrogant in the sense, you know, some young people will just be stubborn and say, oh, I'm fine if I get it. It's like a flu. It's not like a flu. This is an unknown virus that attacks everybody differently and kills people. And here is a young man that just gave us his story, and it is heartbreaking I'm so glad he's on the road's recovery, and I promise you we will be more like next week. But I do think that this probably will be one of our most important episodes we'll ever do.
Speaker 2: I fully agree with you, so once again, I want to thank mister brad Schmidt, who you know took our phone call. And also I want you guys to go out there, not go out there, stay inside, slay your homes, and again, please stay healthy and please stay safe.
Speaker 1: We love you all very.
Speaker 2: Much and we will catch you next week for another episode of Give Them Mala with Randall.
Speaker 3: Be safe, everybody,