Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home, y'all. I'm Angela Riah, your host today for today's Native Land Pod. Solo pod. Tuesdays are my day to normally talk to you all about everything that's on my heart and mind, especially as it relates to politics and culture. I happen to be in Nashville right now, where the National Bar Association National Bar Association was so essential to helping me understand, to see, to view powerful black lawyers who understood the mandate from Charles Hamilton Houston to be a social engineer and not a parasite on society. That I took a little bit of a break from the National Bar. And the reason I took a break from the National Bar is because when I was working on Capitol Hill, we had an organization called Impact. We bring an impact back, y'all, we need to back. But Impacts had this incredible partnership with the National Bar where we did forty end or forty nation's best advocates celebrating young lawyers, trying to figure out an on ramp for young black attorneys to be connected to some of the greatest legal minds in the country, black legal minds in the country, and we did that for several years, and at some point that relationship between Impacts in the National Bar kind of came to a head and we were no longer a part of nation's best advocates. The program, I'm proud to say, continues today. But there was a little bit of a law, and if I'm honest, the law was because at least my feelings were hurt. I don't know about I'm not gonna blame Joe Briggs or David John's or Kindred Davis Briggs or some of my other colleagues with Impact, Nina Smith, Sarah Missilides. But there was a break for me and a departure, and I stopped being engaged, engaged as much with the National Bar and instead said, you know, I'm gonna go it alone and do the work that I do with the Congressional Caucus and sit on the pack board, and sit on the Institute board and engage in other ways. And last year, for the one hundredth anniversary of the National Bar, for the centennial, I decided it was time to come home. And the reason why I felt like it was time to come home is because when you look around on every side, every place where our rights are being challenged, the places where DEI is under attack, where our textbooks, the books that our kids could check out from the library are being banned. When we look at the amount of police violence, those who never separated themselves from vigilante, we can't even call it vigilante justice, vigilante injustice. When you look at all of the racist attacks that they are trying to codify in this country, when you look at the makeup of the Congress, of the House and the Senate, when you see the disparities that exist in our pay when you see the ways in which they've challenged whether or not black people deserve to be in jobs based on DEI, even if if you're not in a DEI job, When you see everything that's happening across the board, there is no choice but for us to lean into our gifts, lean into our talents, lean into what it means to build coalition. So I'm saying this now as a lifetime member of the NAACP, a lifetime member of National Action Network, a lifetime member of the National Bar Association, a lifetime member of the National Coalition of Negro Women. I always mess that up. I'm sorry, Shavon, I love you, but here's my point. I am. I wouldn't say I'm an organizational person, but I would say that I understand when I'm called to serve. I believe that God gives me a portion of a vision to share with the people, to move our people, to move the needle on our issues. But I also believe that God empowers other people with parts of the vision. I'm not support to see the full picture. God is you got the blueprain right, But I do believe that there comes a point in time where we're supposed to come together. So sure, we can embody our individual power. We can be influencers and culture creators and trendsetters and all of that. But what happens when all of that power, all of that leadership, all of those gifts come together. Well, what happens is we can strike a mighty blow. Right, We're better as a fist than we are with any one of these fingers. We can strike a mighty blow like this. We can't strike a mighty blow and we don't come together. And the thing really isn't about us all being on one track, us solving the problem in one way. Really, what we're being called to do is get to the end goal by whatever means, by any means necessary, as the great profit Malcolm X once said. And the reality of it is, we got to just start walking. We might not see the full staircase, but you got to take one step at a time. So when I think about the fact that so often the conversation that we have, especially the youngers among us, it's the questioning of the relevance of the organization. But what are you doing to make it relevant? What are you doing to make that organization impactful? How have you contributed to it being better? Right? How do you criticize something for not being good when you haven't even poured in your talents into the thing. And what are you actually doing? Are you just standing on the sideline criticizing or are you saying, I'm going to be a constructive critic and work to build something different. I was just in a session at the National Bar with the great Barbara Online, who used to lead a lawyer's committee and has done so much incredible voting rights work over the years. And Barbara Onwine said something so good that I'll never forget. She said that we have to be builders right now, and before we build, there's an architectural design that is strategy. So some of us are strategists, some of us are builders and executors operations specialists. Some of us are the coalition builders, the constructors of the partnerships. And what we have to understand, like we understood from Gary Indiana in nineteen seventy two for the National Black Political Convention, is being united without having a unanimous position. Unity without unanimity, it means we know that we are more powerful together even if we don't agree on every single aspect of this movement. That's really the point. So when we talk about the strength of our institutions and our ability to fight back right now, where is our project twenty twenty five? Where is our Black Agenda? Where are all of these things? What are you doing to create it? Or are you going to keep asking the question wondering where it is? Knowing the whole time that if the question came to you, you probably have some obligation to pour into it. So that's my thing thinking right now, it's now the one hundred and first anniversary of the National Are one hundred and one years of its existence, and there couldn't be a more critical time for lawyers to come together. We got voting rights fights, we got civil rights fights. We have people questioning whether or not the Constitution should be interpreted as it was intended, a strict constructionist like Clarence Thomas saying I don't know if it means what it says on paper. Right. We have all of that going on. This is an absolute battle for black legal minds. We've got to do this together. So, as I said in Nashville, the National Urban League is going to start here tonight. The National Bar Association has been going on for a few days. I would ask you to lean into at least learning about these organizations, figuring out what role we play. And here's why. Sometimes our criticism ends up creating the thing that dismantles our organizations, that takes out some of our strongest allies. What do I mean by that? And I think we'll talk about this more on the show we do tomorrow that will drop Thursday. But I'm thinking about Congresswoman Nancy Mace, who took it upon herself to introduce legislation to try to dismantle the Congressional Black Caucus. Congressional Black Caucus was founded in nineteen seventy one, right on the other side of a meeting with President Richard Nixon. They developed a document of sixty one recommendations that they believed almost demands that they believe would make life better for Black Americans. This organization isn't just about coming together and having lunch with people who look like you. It's also an organization that has been the lifeline, the heartbeat and the conscience of the Congress. This woman doesn't want the Congressional Black Caucus to exist, because the Congress wants to exist absent a conscience. And so when we talk about doing the work of the oppressor, this is what I mean. When I was the Congressional Black Caucus Executive Director, I got emails on a weekly basis, sometimes daily, depending on Maden as y'all work for challenging President Barack Obama at the time. We didn't always agree, but we were still striving to get to the same end goal. Those emails would always question the relevance of the Caucus, whether or not it should exist. So congratulations the seeds. You so hoped to give Nancy Mace the courage that she needs to come up with this bogus bill. Let us stop doing the work of the oppressor for them when something doesn't feel as relevant to us, Let's figure out how to do the harder work of making it relevant to what we need to what our demands are right now. If you want something to be better, the solution isn't always to destroy it. Sometimes it's just to strengthen it. Sometimes you got to put in another pillar, another like pole, so that it's stronger than it was because you are there. That is what this moment requires of us. We're not in dismantling and destruction season, not of our organizations. We're in a time where we can come back to the altar to determine what is needed for us to be better. And I'm thrilled today to have joining us two women who are working to make things better. One of them is my dear sister, who leads and is the National Convener of the Black Women's Roundtable, also the President and CEO of the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation, Melanie Campbell, and then Avis Jonk DOCTA, Avis Jones, Deweaver who's the principle of Neuvaux strategies. They're here to talk to us about a really important survey on pay equity, economic life and the DEI rollback. And what I think is so important that we'll probably resonate with most of the people in this audience is if you didn't even take this poll, you know, some of these results speak through you and for you. So with that, I want to bring them to the stage so we can have a very very important conversation about pay equity and the DEI ro back. Hello, mal Hi you there we're missing? Oh there she is. Okay, there she is. Hi, doctor A.
Speaker 2: Great to see your boat.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to be with you all. Please forgive me just so you know, I get a civil rights pass. I was doing the work of the Lord with our dear sister Tanya clay House, and I was like, well, I guess I'm on the panel now. So I was on the panel.
Speaker 2: But be ever ready, be ever ready.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing you all will also appreciate this. The Queen Mother, Barbara Armwine was also on the panel, and so I was like, just so y'all know in this room Barbara Onwine speaks for me, So I'm not gonna close out. I'm the leave so I can get to this panel. Especially when Barbara Arnwine's eyes are closed, she really speaks for me. Then you know she did it. She did it, she was in the pocket. So yes, I want to thank you all first of all for doing this work at a time where I think black women in particular are feeling gas lit like I know I'm having this six and you're trying to make me feel like I'm not worthy of the pay that I that I know my counterparts are getting. I know that I'm worthy of this job that I just lost. Talk about why it was so important from a mission standpoint for you all to get this survey done.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: First of all, it is so good to be in community with you and of course our sister DODR and just listening.
Speaker 2: To you in the just now, just listening to the conversation.
Speaker 3: Uh, you're right on target. I'll say that if ever there's a time for us to come together and bring all that we have and like you say, we don't. Unit does not mean uniform. It just never has, never will and this and this pop shows that right. But what is uh, you know, Andrew We've been doing this poll for ten years. This year we partnered with the Route to release it. Another sister running things over there and very and very intentional, nothing against brothers at all, but we also have a black woman poster this year. We hadn't done it in since twenty twenty four because last year everything was happening so fast.
Speaker 2: It was just a crazy year, and we.
Speaker 3: Just said, you know what, let's let the dust settle. It's gonna where's this gonna end up? So this is kind of like the dust settle moment to really say, Okay, this is what's been happening in the last almost year and a half now, and what.
Speaker 2: A black woman telling us right.
Speaker 3: In order for us to be able to develop strategy and organize, we have to know what's really really happening, and this pole really does that. And so I'm one to be losing coalition building that we bring the expertise.
Speaker 2: I am not a researcher.
Speaker 1: I just played for.
Speaker 2: It and I am talking, talking, talking, but I can't.
Speaker 3: Walk and walk and walking like doctor Avis Jones Weaver, who has been with us on this pole from the very beginning when we first started it actually more than ten years ago.
Speaker 2: But this is our tenth one and this is just a piece age. Well, girl, we got more to come that.
Speaker 3: Really lays out components of it that we'll have a political want to talk to you offline about it before we bring it out because it's going to tell some stories that need to be told. So if you don't mind, I want to just turn it over and when you're ready to just talk. But that's the why, right, And it helps us strategize and organized around what black women telling us, not what we sit up in our offices and think, but really and having And what's different about this pole besides being all women black women, is it also goes much deeper than we have in the past. And even layers are not just generational layers, but ideology layers, breaking it down by not just being black, but being Caribbean coming all the eighties, so that we are breaking it down in the layers that we have not in the past, and much more are robust questions that will hopefully help us in that strategy that you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Well, and I'm glad you said that. First thing I want to do, doctor Avis, before I come to you is mail. You said that you believe in coalition, and I really it's important to me. Every chance I get that, I give you your flowers just so y'all know. If you in the comments say that Mail needs to go on vacation, we raise a little bit of money so Mail could go on. Okay, I just want to know what the dates are before we get off the show. But the reason for this.
Speaker 2: Twenty second of August.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm excited, but I want you all to understand why I'm saying that this point. Don't tell nobody, you just tell everybody. But this call to me is it is an embodiment of some of the sacrifices Mail that I feel like I've seen you endure over the years. Right, Black women work twice as hard and sometimes don't get any recognition, So I want to name that. I think the other thing that I that I really think is important is I know you do the work that the men do, maybe five times as much as the men do, and probably get paid five times less than the men do. So I want to name that. And then I think the other part is on the positive side, when you talk about coalition building, you are someone who I have modeled coalition building after because I know it's possible because I watch you do it so much. So I just want to say thank you. Your team is in the comments talk about she going that is so funny, but I just like she is going. We know she just told us, she told the whole world. But I just want to say that Mail one thank you, but two, this is also a demand to your colleagues, to the people who are contributors and donors, to pay mail her value, to ensure that you are raising her Like we cannot do this work. We don't get paid what we ought to be paid if you don't do this work. And we saw that from what Reverend Jackson did that work over the years. We know that, so I just want to make sure we that we were clear about that. And now that I'm with my demands, doctor, as you have the floor, I'm bad to do a little bit. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for love and like we said, I can follow too, but thank you for what you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna be a boss to you just about this vacation, but that's it. After that you're back in charge.
Speaker 4: And I do say ditto to each and everything that Angel just said. Okay, absolutely, and I think her staff will lock the doors so she don't come in.
Speaker 1: It's good, cannot work.
Speaker 4: Good good that you deserve it. That sat in terms of this poll, you know what was really powerful to me? As you mentioned, Angela, I think all of your viewers and listeners will resonate with this. We've all felt this to our bone. Specifically, we looked at this issue of pay equity and beyond how are they doing in this economy. So, just briefly, in terms of the issue of pay equity, almost ninety percent eighty eight percent of the people that we've polled, and by the way, it was a national survey of black women across the dimensions in terms of different generations, one thousand women in the poll, so this is a statistically significant poll. And we found that eighty eight percent of the Black women that answered the poll were concerned about being paid less than their co workers. And not only were they concerned, I have to say that nearly half of them actually reported that they have been paid less than their co workers. Interestingly, women who were college educated were actually more likely to say that they were paid less than their coworkers than non college education black women and women that are a little bit younger, like millennials. Specifically, that generation was the most likely to say that they were paid less than their coworkers.
Speaker 2: So this is a very.
Speaker 4: Relevant issue to millions of black women out there. You know, as the song used to say, when we be paid for the work that we've done, we have still yet to be paid equitably for the work that we've done. We also looked at this at how they've been impacted by some of these recent dynamics in regard to things like the destruction largely of DEI in the workplace, and once again, black women have really been slammed by that. Specifically, forty three percent of the women that we survey said that they were impacted by DEI rollbacks, and once again, college educated black women were the most likely to be impacted. They were also the most likely to say that they in fact were not only reported more personal paid discrimination, but they are also had more exposure to those DEI cuts and it hit them in a number of ways, everything from having to make hard decisions when they go to the grocery store, either paying for less quality food or spending less on food. I was really shocked by the fact that one in four even said that they skipped meals or ate less so that other people in their family could eat. They were really having a hard time making ends meet with things like the basics, utilities, gas, paying for rent. So in all of those different ways and more honestly, black women are feeling it when it comes to this issue not only a pay equity, but the issue of affordability written large in this economy and specifically as a result of some of the policy decisions that this administration is made.
Speaker 1: And I think that's just it, Like we are getting hit on every side. We know that we know where we stand generally, but normally the polls don't come to us.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is the exception, right, this is the time where you're like, no, you're gonna be heard and there's going to be data attached to what's going on. Given where we are, and trying not to lose hope, try to stay hopeful, keep people engaged in the fight. What do you think are the next steps? What do we do to turn the tight on this? We got the facts, now what do we do to change it.
Speaker 3: One of the things I want to also point out in the poll is that with all the things.
Speaker 2: Coming after at us.
Speaker 3: Black women are still hopeful black women are still I said, uh that my life is still good, right, and younger women feel that way more than older women, which is usually kind of someone's the opposite. So I think that part, I think, give you the data that says we're still hopeful and you're not gonna that I would saying, no, devil, still your joy, We're still joyful.
Speaker 2: We're still going to.
Speaker 3: Uh to enjoy our lives as we continue to fight this our slot that we're up against. So I think being able to be very very clear one of the uh things that we did and released in in this this portion of the release is really the things that black men are concerned about. So we try to develop an agenda what other concerns, right, and so being able to see that for black women and it ties right to what's happening uh this this time.
Speaker 2: Uh two years ago, it was cost of living.
Speaker 3: Now it's uh the uh cuts in medicare right uh and concerned about social security. Uh, it's uh voting rights, which.
Speaker 2: We know it's tied to what we've seen happen.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We know it's issues around racism.
Speaker 3: And discrimination, healthcare costs. So when it comes to being able to say, well, what do we do.
Speaker 2: We got this election in front of us, but we also have to develop the long term.
Speaker 3: Build or rebuild, if you will, because what we learned and what we've been learning and all things all of us have been working in so many ways around of the resistance.
Speaker 2: Is being able to be clear. We have to we learned. We're learning that.
Speaker 3: What was there as fraud, as the quote unquote democracy was our freedoms and opportunities can just be thrown away with a stroke of a pen.
Speaker 2: That doesn't happen to do a law, or be even legal to happen.
Speaker 3: But yet we are seeing black women losing our jobs from a public sector, and we know the public sectors the ways that many of us became in our in our families, made it out of poverty, if you will, into middle class. So those are the things that we want to do right now, and that is to develop the kind of messages, make sure folks know about it, and be able to make sure that the people who we elect up and down the ballot, because now we know, people are learning how important state races are, how important state legislatures are, where we don't vote in those numbers like we should, like we do a presidential election that these people took what the Supreme Court did and said, well, we're just gonna go ahead and just do all this done and just take black political power at will. Now, we fought back, and so we know that all roads lead to the South. And the things we've been doing together with Black Votes of Matter and LDF and one hundred and sixty organizations that became part of that Home movement, we know we have work that we have to do. So from an organizer perspective and from a pushing to leverage that vote in this election, it's going to be critical. And if people want to know what's gonna we're gonna do about their rights and their freedoms, don't tell everybody democracy, right.
Speaker 2: I see that y'all don't really care about it.
Speaker 3: The law is not for you, white man, it's just for everybody else. And when it doesn't work for me, I would I would dismiss it. And that's historic in this country quite frankly. Right.
Speaker 2: So we got a lot, we got it.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a long distance race, too, right, and gives us an opportunity because I think where the hope comes from, there's still opportunity for us to win this battle.
Speaker 1: There are people now and doctor Avis that you know who work in corporate America. Uh some of them again got that good government job and they were impacted by these rollbacks too. They don't see themselves as organizers or you know, maybe they're not even organizational people. I don't consider myself an organizational person, but I was like, I tell you what, I'm pay these dues and get involved. And I wonder what directive we would give them in this moment, like everybody has a part to play. And even if you're like, I don't even know where to get in, where I fit in? Do I fit in? Because this has never been my lot? But I know that if I don't move for myself, I certainly can't move the needle for other people in our community. Are what are the things that you could tell them, like the basic abcs for what's the first that they can take to pivot because they're going to need to and get involved. What do you say to them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I definitely think they have been impacted. And up and down the spectrum, as you've mentioned, people have been doged, people have had their whole divisions, you know, completely eliminated. People who had that good corporate job are finding themselves being targeted and released. I mean we're seeing it on a broad scale right now by celebrities on ESPN, for example, but it happens with everyday people as well. And so I think what we really can learn from this moment is a couple of things we are saying large that a lot of black women are saying that, hey, I still have skills, I still have abilities. I want to see how I can open up a business and monetize the Beyond that, I think that the community itself is understanding the the importance of supporting one another, supporting one another in business, supporting one another in terms of our educational institute, supporting one another in terms of our legacy organizations. Because the reality is that as these different cuts have been taking place all across our economic spectrum, so too has largely as a result of the focus on DEI and the ability of corporations oftentimes to either use as an excuse to do what they've always wanted to do, which was pulled back on it, or be intimidated and wanted to bend the need to this administration. That has led to a number of trickle down effects that have harmed the bottom line of a lot of these organizations that have been out here fighting for black people for decades. So we need to invest in our own organizations. We need to make that a part of what we do. We need to provide our not only our monetary support, but our intellect, our support, our volunteership, our time. We have every resource that we need within the ten talents and abilities within our own community in order to be able to think creatively about what needs to happen next and put our own sort of shoulder to the plow to make it happen. I think in this moment, we need to remember that we are still empowered, we are still brilliant, we are still capable, and think about how can we start to actually put action behind the needs so that we're not waiting and expecting things to come back, but think about how can we use the power that we currently have right now in order to make what should be eventually?
Speaker 1: What is that is? That's just it. I want to add just a little bit to that.
Speaker 3: As you know, we know stay to people right, We know even in what we do it in many places with roads to the South, is that we have.
Speaker 2: To provide the need. But people are telling us that they have to buy groceries.
Speaker 3: If you say you buy the lesser grocery, that doesn't necessarily mean lesser in you're getting it off brand. That means you may be buying from the bulk and eating much things that really are healthy for you because you're trying to stretch it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So being able to be clear in the local communities what we must do to help people go through because we understand, uh, data will show us that more people are on welfare, more people on this, more more white people of this and that. But at the end of the day, on my street, my hometown of Mills, Florida, where I'm from, people are hurting and they're invisible because they in these red these red places, right, like very red red, red red right. And so we have to do our churches, our community. Everybody can do a little something like you're talking about, like what can I do? Is your neighbor does neighbor need Ah?
Speaker 2: Now, everybody doing what is called the apple pane.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's always give all kinds of ways to do something. Check check your home, check your your block. Yeah, you can do that right, find out through your church. You don't want to do it like that, then find out what the church can do.
Speaker 2: You know what our all of our and now not I say people aren't doing. I just think that the.
Speaker 3: Data that we're looking at is showing the reality of what's happening. And our people are in black women who are seventy heads of household.
Speaker 1: That means the.
Speaker 3: Children are strung. The impact is real. Does not mean men are doing or all that. All I'm saying is we have to all do what we can to help fill the void while we try to work on the systemic impact of what has been happening to try to take black people out. Let's just be clear, like, let me just say it's just trying to take us out. You don't understand what that is. So if the fight has to be different. In the meantime, day to day living is also impacted.
Speaker 4: We have to worry about that as well.
Speaker 1: That's right. One thing that I've been doing a lot in my speeches is, as can people, what's the first thing your grandmother said when you walk the door. And I actually was surprised to see white folks said this too, But grandma asked you, are you hungry? Are you hungry, that's it, and so we have to do that work. I think that is the first order of business, and the first order of ministry is service and meeting people's basic needs. So I love you said that, and I think on the other side of this November election, we're going to see just how important meeting those basic needs are and our ability to lean in around mutual aid structures and societies like they leaned upon and during slavery, we're gonna be right back there. And self determination is our pathway to liberation. So we're gonna work on that. But now without this data, we got some data to prove we need it. And I can't wait for y'all to come back and break it all down for me on the political side too, and hear what's going on. You know, how parties should serve us, where we should lean in, where our demands go. We are getting so close to this election, less than one hundred days out. It's time for us to come together and Mail and doctor Avis, y'all have always made sure we do exactly that. So as we continue to come together, as we continue to build and be strategic, I absolutely want to be shoulder to shoulder with y'all. But after Mail's vacation, Doctor.
Speaker 2: Avis vacation at six, that's the next drop.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so okay, we're gonna have some time before that, but then after that you're going on vacation.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: Well, we appreciate you all for being with us. As we always say on Native Lampod, welcome home, y'all, and I can't wait to have you both back. Melanie Campbell and Doctor Avis do we love y'all.
Speaker 2: Thank you girl, absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, y'all, that was an incredible show, great data. We're gonna make sure we put in the show notes the information so that you all can see that polling data from black women who spoke, who were heard, and they talked to us about the pay gaps, DEI rollbacks and the impacts. And we want to make sure that we are lifting up our dear sisters who have been impacted by the treachery this administration and the corporations that followed it. We've got to stick together, y'all, come together and make sure that you're looking out for your neighbor. Please love your neighbor as yourself. And in the meantime and in between times, I will see y'all on our next show this week. Bacari is on vacation he forgot to tell us about. So Garrison Hayes and the Joyane Read will be joining me for our podcast this week. I hope you guys will tune in. We have a lot to talk about, including South Carolina will be the first in the South, I'm sorry, first in the nation democratic primaries in twenty twenty eight. What type of power does that give black people? We're gonna talk a little bit more about this Nancy Mace Bogus Bill and so much more. You know, we're gonna get into it with Garrison Hayes Enjoy Read, So make sure y'all tune in for that. I will see you soon. I'm gonna get back to the National Bar Association be a good dues paying organizational member. Until next time, y'all, Welcome home. Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reis and Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visits the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.