Speaker 1: Why do some women yearn for Shakida's Black Hair to make a comeback? And whatever happened to the power couple of My Dreams, Mariah Carey and Luis Miguel.
Speaker 2: I'm Maria Garcia.
Speaker 1: You may remember me for my podcast Anything for Selena or my Devo and now I'm back to unpack more stories from the present.
Speaker 2: And the past.
Speaker 1: Listen to me Excited with Maria Garcia on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: You could say that twenty twenty six is the year Melissa Barera's dreams came true. The Mexican actress produced an award winning film, is launching her very own production company, and made her Broadway debut, all in one year.
Speaker 4: But getting here has been a journey.
Speaker 3: You may know Melissa Brera from the Stars series Vida, or maybe from the film In the Heights or from the horror movie franchise Scream, But you may also know her because of her speaking out against the genocide Agasa. It's that outspokenness that got Melissa Verrera dropped from the Scream franchise. Now, more than two years later, Melissa has landed her perfect role and It's probably about as far away from scream as you can get. Melissa is starring in an absurd musical parody. It is so campy. I saw it myself recently on Broadway, just before sitting down with Melissa Barrera herself.
Speaker 2: It's the story of Titanic, but told through the eyes of Celine Dion because she thinks that she was a passenger the Titanic.
Speaker 4: I was so shocked that I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 5: So I just dimmed.
Speaker 2: I started to sing. I started to sing very well. And so she tells you the story of Jack and Rose as if she was there witnessing it all.
Speaker 3: Melissa plays Rose, adapting the role Kate Winslet played in the James Cameron film.
Speaker 2: And it works because we all know and loves Celindion, and we know that she's a kooky lady. You know, she's a character, and she's you know, like very eccentric and like out there and funny.
Speaker 3: The Iceberg is also a character, Donnie a Tina Turner wig, who the hell are you?
Speaker 4: I'm the Iceberg bitch.
Speaker 2: And so Marlon Mindell, who plays Celindion in our show, has done an incredible job of like capturing the essence of Celendion in this campy way, this story that's so cooky crazy, and that's what the musical is.
Speaker 3: The show first opened off Broadway in twenty twenty two and has built something of a cult following since then. It won two Olivier Awards when it debuted at the West End in London in twenty twenty five, and then in April of this year, Titanique finally opened on Broadway, earning four Tony Award nominations for Melissa Barrera. It was a return to her musical theater roots. From Futuro Media, It's Latino Usay. I'm Mariaokosa Today a conversation with actress Melissa Barrera. We talk about her Broadway debut, her decision to become a Hollywood executive, and the consequences she faced for speaking up against injustice.
Speaker 4: You probably don't remember this, sure I do. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was twenty twenty four when we last did the interview with you. You said that one of your dreams was to be on Broadway.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's always been my dream. My north star was always Broadway. That's what got me into acting, was theater, musical theater that was always kind of like top of my bucket list. So I feel like there were moments in my life where I was like afraid to say it out loud because I didn't think that it was ever going to happen. So I would be careful about mentioning that dream because I was like, what if I never do it and then people think that I'm a failure, you know, like that kind of like weird thing. But then I started thinking about, like, no, actually I have to say it because that's manifesting. I just have to put it out in the universe.
Speaker 3: Asked for it, and then what they were just like, would you like to audition for Titanique?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I so you had to audition.
Speaker 2: I had to audition. I actually I told my team at the end of last year, I was like, I really want to do theater this year. I had been trying for a couple of years.
Speaker 4: I was in talks of.
Speaker 2: Like joining a few shows, but there was a way that I wanted this dream to come true, Like there was a like an ultimate version of this stream of like originating a role for a Broadway show, being on like a cast album if you do that, being part of like the whole rehearsal process with the company, and that doesn't happen if you're coming into a show that's already.
Speaker 5: Running, oh right, of course as a replacement. As a replacement, right.
Speaker 2: So I was waiting for the show where I got to like do it from, you know, the whole rehearsal process and you know, being the original, even though in Titanique, you know, it's been running off Broadway and off off Broadway for years, so there's been many many roses who have been incredible.
Speaker 4: So I'm saying it wrong. It's not the technique. I'm making a mistake.
Speaker 2: So it's because we're lapping now because we say Titanic and that's no. But it's Titanic, right and English okay, And so people come and love it because it's just fun. It's just two hours of laughter.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I have to tell you, Melissa, sometimes I'll be getting into bed because you know, I'm I go to bed very early because I wake up, yeah, very very early, and I'm like getting ready for my you know, nighttime routine. It's like nine or nine thirty and I'm like, Melissa just got off stage.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I live the life of a vampire.
Speaker 4: How are you feeling about that? Because how many shows do you do a week?
Speaker 2: Eight shows a week.
Speaker 3: It's no joke, no, because you're also you're dancing, you're moving, you're going up, you're going down, you're singing. Yeah, like you're carrying the show with your voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I've always known that doing Broadway is hard. That's just something.
Speaker 4: That physically emotionally.
Speaker 2: Physically and emotionally and like everything that you require stamina, you require discipline, and it's like endurance, like a high performance athlete kind of career. I've always known that to be true, and so I just think, like, not everybody can do Broadway for an extended period of time. Then I come and I'm doing this, and I'm like, yeah, I'm ready. And I usually, like I'm very good at like programming myself mentally when I'm going to go on a shoot or something, I'm like, all right, we're on this shoot for five months, and for five months, I am just going. And then as soon as the shoot is over, I'm in bed for a week. You know, it's like your body kind of like relaxes. But during I'm good, Like I'm not even tired. I'm like because I've told myself, this is the amount of time that you just have to be on and for this, Like we were two weeks into rehearsals and I was I felt like I had gone run over by ten trucks and I was like, how am I going to survive this? And it's hard and I'm doing a show that's fun. I'm laughing and you know, it's silly and it's not it's not two acts, it's one act. So I have like the easiest, I think version of this because I love the show. It's a comedy. We have fun every night. It's one act, under two hours done. And still I'm like, I'm pulling myself out of bed because I get home like the show ends. I get home around eleven pm every night, and then I have to walk my dogs, feed them, walk them again.
Speaker 4: Cuddle, yeah, play with them twice. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I walk them as soon as I get home, feed them, and then wait a little bit, like I shower, get ready for bed. Then I walk them again because I'm going to sleep for ten hours at least, so they're not going to go until the morning, so I have to give them, you know. But I just think about the people that have kids that like get home that have to like make lunches or make dinner or you know something like that. And I'm like, how do people do this? How have people been doing this for so long?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 3: I'm like, why, it's Monday. We're doing this interview on a Monday. Yes, you're about to go perform. Yes, so how do you prepare?
Speaker 2: I drink water all throughout the day.
Speaker 4: Well, but don't you have to go to the bathroom then if you're on stage?
Speaker 2: So Maria, every day, every day during the show, Yes, I am peeing my pants And there are there are two more. I only have two months because my track, I'm on stage like ninety percent of the show. Yes, so there are two moments where I run to the bathroom. It's during Jim's monologue. He has this big monologue in the middle, and so that's a moment where I can pee, and I literally go to the stage manager's office bathroom because it's right there. I couldn't there's no way that I could go up to my room. And then there's another moment during River Deep that I could potentially if I need to go again go But for the most part, like ten or fifteen minutes into the show, I'm already like, oh, I have to.
Speaker 4: Go to the bathroom.
Speaker 5: It's true, Melsa is saying that, but your character is like I'm trying to focus and trying to not think about it, but it's impossible because I'm uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, it doesn't show and when people go see this show, I think one of the things that they love and why it's gone extended. I mean, yes, you're part of an ensemble, but I think people who know your work have this unexpected moment with you, which is like, Melissa Barera is a very I mean she's a trained actor.
Speaker 4: She's often very serious, taking on very.
Speaker 3: Serious issues, and in this one, the best word to use is a very Mexican word, which is moikas.
Speaker 4: Can't even translate mikas. Yeah, it's like faces.
Speaker 3: You're making faces all the time, silly faces, you're hamming it up. Can you just talk a little bit about that and bringing that Melissa Brera, Yeah, with the funny faces onto Broadway.
Speaker 2: I love it because it's so fun and I'm surrounded by, like, legit, the funniest people on earth in every other role, so I feel very protected and very uplifted and like safe to be silly and try things, and you know, just like everybody knows who Rose is. Rose is Kate Winslet, right, And the movie it's like she's the angenenue, the lead girl. She's gonna fall in love and the steaks are real. She's engaged to this man that she doesn't want to marry, and she falls in love with this like guy from like the third class cabin and they have this like beautiful love affair and it's very romantic and serious, and it's you know, the steaks are life and death. It's Romeo and Juliet, right.
Speaker 4: But our version is Rose.
Speaker 2: Is horny because teenagers are horny. You know, It's just a fact.
Speaker 4: It's just a fact.
Speaker 2: And so I get to like really play with that side of her and really explore that and bring that in and play with how funny that is and not have to worry about being proper or pretty or anything. I'm just having fun and trying to show this other side of the character that I think would have made the movie great if they had like, you know, that very real like horniness of teenagers.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's so funny.
Speaker 4: Coming up on Latino Us say.
Speaker 3: Melissa Barrera talks about the cost of speaking out.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of people that got fired for basically saying Palestinians deserve human rights and they shouldn't be getting bombed. And it's sad to me that there are interests that are more important to certain people of power and money, and that they will do everything they can to shut people up from saying that people deserve to live. It's hard to comprehend.
Speaker 7: Stay with us, Elardo present our podcast percent See Join Luna Perciento, The take a Control Mundo, percent.
Speaker 2: Treva I see It.
Speaker 8: Oh so Lamola or the Tears goes Bia Divas in percenta format podcast.
Speaker 4: Hey We're back.
Speaker 3: Mexican actress Melissa Barera has been telling us how much she's loving getting to play Rose in the Broadway production of Titanique. The show was originally supposed to end in mid July, but it was so well received it got extended. And the thing is, this very funny production is serving as a breath of fresh air, not just for Melissa, but also for audiences too. Let's get back to our conversation. We're living through a very difficult political time. But when I came out of the theater, I was like smiling, laughing, cracking up about the fact that I just spent this time in the theater laughing my head off. So how do you put those two things together? Like the serious stuff that is happening and here we are on Broadway, you every night making people laugh like crazy.
Speaker 2: I think this kind of show is like a medicine for people at a time like this where everything like feels dark and heavy. I do think that for me specifically, being a part of the show, doing this job is helping me not go crazy, you know, because it's it's a balance. Like my algorithm is war and ice and deportations and families being separated in bombs and like ugly things that I think it's my responsibility to know what is going on in the world. And then I get to come here and it's a safe haven for me where I get to like be silly for two hours and remind myself that it's okay to laugh and to find like the joy in these times. And we give that gift to the audience as well. Of like here, you can leave all that at the door. This is a safe haven. We're here to give you joy to remind you that, like it's okay to like be silly and joke around, and hopefully you feel a little lighter when you leave. I think historically when people need it the most is when creatives and artists start making comedies like this, because people need that. Entertainment is a lifeline. You know, like people are always like so ready to dismiss artists like, oh, come on, you're just an actor, like shut up, and it's like, no, when you were during the pandemic, locked up? What were you doing? What kept you saying? TV and movies and podcasts and podcasts like just everything that is part of the entertainment industry that creatives are giving you a lifeline of conversation starters, of not feeling alone, of seeing yourself represented, of seeing maybe something that makes you think, oh, man, I never saw myself in that space, but because I saw that person, I know that I can do it too. And I think that Titanic being on Broadway six is what was meant to be because the times call for something like that.
Speaker 3: The thing is, Melissa, the things that you have talked about are in fact life and death, and you've borne the consequences right about speaking out about the genocide and the war on Gaza.
Speaker 4: Would you say you were blacklisted? Would you use that term? A yeah, definitely, which is.
Speaker 3: Like terrible as an artist, And so how do you put that the fact that because of your humanity, your consciousness, your international awareness, that you say no, no, no. In the United States, I was actually blacklisted for for my political thought, not for my actingah, my political thought.
Speaker 2: It's hard to comprehend. But it's also not the first time that that has happened to someone, and it won't be the last. There are a lot of people that got fired for basically saying Palestinians deserve human rights and they shouldn't be getting bombed and attacked in this way. And it's sad to me that there are interests that are more important to certain people of power and money, and that they don't care about people's lives, and that they will do everything they can to shut people up from saying that people deserve to live, that children deserve to grow up. It's hard to comprehend, but I also feel like.
Speaker 4: The tide has.
Speaker 2: Turned so much and like everybody kind of just seeing things for what they are, even if they were resisting at the beginning. And so I try to continue to have hope because I do feel that there's a lot more people out there that care, that actually do care about each other, and that understand that we're all connected. That we can't turn a blind eye to something that is happening on the other side of the world just because it's on the other side of the world, because before we know it, it's right here on our doorstep. And I think people, especially in this country realize that this year where it's like, oh wow, the same tactics that were used over there, the same surveillance mechanisms, the techniques used by like police are they're the same, yeah, and the checkpoint And so I do think that we just have to name things for what they are, even if there's consequences. I was one of a lot of people that face consequences. But I'm on Broadway now.
Speaker 4: So who's laughing last, you know, like.
Speaker 2: I'm still here and I'm and I'm you know, about to launch my production company. And everything happens for a reason, and it kind of it took me in a direction of like actually taking more control of my life and not allowing other people to have control over my life.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Yes, hey, we're back. Let's jump back into my conversation with actress Melissa Barrera. So you decide to launch your own production company, Yeah, which is not easy. Can you tell me a little bit about this, Like, No, I'm going to become an executive.
Speaker 2: I've always wanted to do that. I just didn't know how to go about it. And I got very lucky that I started working with this other production company and my producing partner was running that company at the time, and she was actually the one that suggested that I start my own production company.
Speaker 4: And your immediate reaction was like what me?
Speaker 2: My immediate reaction was like really, I was like, you don't have to be like knighted by someone to do this, Like can I just do it?
Speaker 3: Like the gods of Hollywood say you can create a production Yeah?
Speaker 2: I didn't know, because I was like, I can't do it by myself, Like I have to have someone with experience helping me run this, and who's going to want to come work with me? You know what I mean? That was like my thought. She kind of gave me like the little kick, yeah, the little kick of luck and of kind of like just go for it. And obviously you need money, right for an overhead and to produce movies. And so now it's like I'm getting to learn that side of the industry where you have to go and find financiers. And in our position, I'm like, I can't just take money from anybody. I want to be working with like hearted people, people that care about the world. And hopefully it's not just like a busy in this transaction where it's like I'll take your money and whatever I want them invested in the stories that we're telling. Because my idea of anything that I ever do is if I do well, we all do well. This is a team, and I want to surround myself with good people because we're all going to rise together.
Speaker 4: So what are the stories that you feel?
Speaker 3: Because your company is about telling the stories that aren't being told, right, so kind of what's on your slate in terms of what's not being told?
Speaker 4: What needs to we have? We have?
Speaker 2: Our mission is focused on human connection. I'm a love what do you call it?
Speaker 4: Like love? Love language? Person love? No, I love love love love. You're romantic?
Speaker 2: A romantic and I grew up watching rom coms, but I also grew up watching a lot of genre and like big action adventure things. But always what hooked me into a story was the love. So that's like what we're gravitating towards as we build our slate is we want all of our projects to have love in them somehow, no matter the genre. And we're also you know, like we're looking for new voices, like up and coming filmmakers. I love working with first time directors or like people that really have a unique visual storytelling voice. And so we're looking for like talent in writing, in filmmaking and trying to like help bring the new generation of filmmakers that are telling original stories, that are telling like new things.
Speaker 3: All right, So when we were last together, you were like, I'm dreaming of Broadway. So we're going to give you the opportunity since it seems like it works well here. Yeah, well it's two Proximo. Next big thing on the bucket list.
Speaker 2: I want to build this company out to become like a new version of what studios are.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: I want to have distribution, I want to have financing. I want to have like a big company where people can come and we can like put movies out and make sure that they get to theaters. And you know to have like all in house, Like I want to build this company, but I want I want to operate on love, and I want to operate in like the energy of opportunity, and like I don't want anyone to be scared of like losing their jobs. Like it feels like that's what like the industry feeds off of is fear. And that's why I think there's a lack of original stories. It's because no one wants to get fired because they're so true. Everyone is constantly getting rearranged and all that, so no one wants to take a chance. And so I want to create an environment where people are allowed to take risks and do different things and take a chance on new people, just a different, more loving environment and where people aren't afraid to speak up.
Speaker 4: So finally, what is something that is bringing you joy right now? Oh?
Speaker 2: I mean this show really brings me joy, Like getting to go to work every night and do a live performance and get like that immediate like going to the stage door and meeting people and laying their reactions. I do love them.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: I used to be that girl, like I would go to see a Broadway show and then I would wait at the stage door with my playable to get it signed, and so it's crazy to now be on the other side. But I love it. I love doing it because of it. I know how much it meant to me when the artists came out and gave me two seconds of their time. So try to always do that. My dogs give me joy every day just having my dogs.
Speaker 4: And their names are and Rambo and Zeus and Zeus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I love them and just having them waking up with them every day really kind of grounds me and reminds me to be grateful. And this like this new chapter of my life that I'm you know, building something from scratch and finding collaborators and meeting new people and learning a whole new side of the industry like that. I love learning things that One of my favorite parts about the job is having to learn new skill for a character.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: So I'm just excited about this new chapter.
Speaker 4: We're all feeling it. We're feeling the excitement for you, which is gonna ask you did you see that?
Speaker 7: Thank you?
Speaker 3: That was actress Melissa Barera, star of the Broadway musical Titanique. It's on stage now through September twentieth. This episode was produced by Nude Saudi. It was edited by Alana Casanova Burgess. It was mixed by jj Krubin. Fact checking for this episode by Roxana Aguire. Fernande Echavari is our managing editor. Nancy Drujuillo is our production manager. The Latino USA team also includes Julia Caruso, Renaldo Leanos Junior, Stephanie Lebou Godriman Marquiz and Jujeta Martinelli. Benede La Midas and I are executive producers. I'm your host Maria Noo Hoosan. Remember Latino USA is part of Iheart's Mike Utura podcast network. Executive producers at iHeart Our Leo Gomez and Arlene Santana join us again on our next episode. In the meantime, I'll see you on all of our social media and dear listener, don't forget to join Futuro plus.
Speaker 4: Do it right now in the middle of summer.
Speaker 3: It's so easy, so economical, and you'll get to skip all of the ads.
Speaker 4: Lot bay yas Joo.
Speaker 6: Latino USA is made by Possible, in part by the TAU Foundation. The Annie E. Casey Foundation creates a brighter future for the nation's children, by strengthening families, building greater economic opportunity, and transforming communities and the Ford Foundation, working with visionaries on the front lines of social change worldwide,