Speaker 1: Last time on ear witness.
Speaker 2: You are in a position now to be one of two things.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can either be a witness or you can be a defendant.
Speaker 4: Ar Dregus was in his wheelchair sitting there, and he looked at me and he said, listen, I'm not gonna lie for anybody.
Speaker 5: I would.
Speaker 4: Happy to give to Forrest up in a heartbeat, except it would be a lie, and I'm not gonna lie. I said, all right, well, they're going to wheel you to jail and they're gonna charge you with capital murder, which is definitely offense. And he goes, I wasn't there, tell him to take me to jail, and they did.
Speaker 6: Charged with capital murder of a law enforcement officer. Our twenty two year old toward Forrest Johnson, twenty one year old Our dragons Ford, twenty three year old oh Man Berrier, and twenty one year old Quinn tes Wilson. They are held without bond.
Speaker 3: Evidence wise, well, we had visually no evidence. We had the word of a fifteen year old who told lies, a lot of.
Speaker 5: Lies atlie outline a flat.
Speaker 3: We had this table empty, wasn't nothing on it, and we were still trying to try the case, and we were like, man, what we gonna do, How We're gonna win this.
Speaker 1: It's nineteen ninety seven, two years after Deputy Bill Hardy was killed to Forrest Johnson and Ardregis Ford are headed to trial for the murder, and so far, the only evidence the state has presented connecting them to the crime is the changing story of Yolanda Chambers. But there was something else, something detectives had known about for two years, something they kept quiet until now.
Speaker 2: This is sorry to Tom Salter, Jefson County Sheriff's Deparma, President of the Room, or sorry to Tony Richson and missus Violet Ellison and her daughter, Katrina Ellison.
Speaker 1: Violet Ellison, a fifty three year old black woman, and her sixteen year old daughter Katrina, met with detectives Tony Richardson and Tom Salter at the Sheriff's office. Violet Ellison, who knew Deputy Hardy, came forward a few weeks after Hardy's murder. She called investigators seven days after the governor announced an additional ten moth one thousand dollars for information, bringing the total reward offered in the case to twenty thousand dollars. Her recorded interview with detectives is less than seven minutes long.
Speaker 2: This Ellison, would you tell us about the information that you have for us.
Speaker 7: You got a name Fred, I'm not sure of his last name. Call my daughter Katrina Ellison.
Speaker 1: Violet Ellison says some guys in the jail were asking Katrina to make three way calls for them so they'd only have to pay for the original call to Katrina. They didn't want to keep feeding quarters into the payphone. One of those guys was named Fred, and.
Speaker 7: He asked my daughter to use her three way to call for his homeboy, and he named his fellow's name is Tamars Johnson.
Speaker 1: Violet Ellison says her daughter dialed the number of a girl named Daisy to create a three way call. In the jail, Fred handed the phone to to Forest so that he could talk to Daisy back in the Ellison house. Once Katrina heard the three way call go through, she put the phone down and walked away, but her mom, Violet Ellison, picked it up and listened in.
Speaker 2: He said that on the night of the.
Speaker 4: Ancident.
Speaker 1: Violet Ellison tells detectives that she heard to Forest Johnson telling Daisy what happened the night of Deputy Bill Hardy's murder. I've listened to this recording over a dozen times and it's not easy to follow, but in summary, Violet says that to Forest described following a man. They planned to rob a man.
Speaker 7: And they had been following this man.
Speaker 1: This man had a girl with him, and the girl had a gun gone a shot was fired.
Speaker 7: It was one shot that was fired.
Speaker 1: And Deputy Hardy heard the commotion and came out to investigate, investigate.
Speaker 7: And that's when uh Tavars Johnson shot one time and he named.
Speaker 6: Another guy, which was.
Speaker 7: C who qu quin to your tass both.
Speaker 1: Of them shot, She says she overheard to Forrest Johnson say that he and quint Has Wilson each fired one shot at Deputy Hardy. At this point, quint Has Wilson was also in jail, charged with Hardy's murder. The story Violet Ellison tells police is disjointed. There are a lot of details that are similar to the facts about the case that were reported in the news, but others that don't fit the evidence at the crime scene, and after less than seven minutes, detectives say they have no further questions for Violet Ellison and her daughter.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 5: Do you think they say that you agreed?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 1: Two years after Violet Ellison first comes to police, the state is preparing to put ardregas Ford and to Forrest Johnson on trial. But Yolanda Chambers is falling apart. She's recanted her testimony under oath, and she doesn't always show up to court when she's supposed to be there. It's then, in their time of need two years later, that detectives suddenly remember Violet Ellison's statements.
Speaker 3: BALI, that was k marking that door. You stand up on this day, Lin and say what she said. We got a full table. Now we got all the evidence we need. Well, not that we need. We'd like to have a lot more, but we got evenence.
Speaker 1: Violet Ellison would become the state's star witness in the trial against Forrest Johnson, and her ear witness testimony would be the key evidence linking him to Deputy Hardy's murder. But there wouldn't be just one trial for the murder of Deputy Hardy, or two or even three. The state will pursue four capital murder trials, and at each of these four trials, the state will present separate, mutually exclusive theories about who pulled the trigger and fired the fatal shots.
Speaker 8: Do you hear my man laugher had my feet sorrows dep b.
Speaker 9: Re list.
Speaker 10: In this bad.
Speaker 8: Tears.
Speaker 1: I want to see.
Speaker 8: Revelation. I want to know who you.
Speaker 11: Ah read.
Speaker 8: Desperation.
Speaker 1: I'm Beth Shelburne. This is ear witness, Chapter five. Anybody will do if Tony Richardson was initially enthusiastic about Violet Ellison's revelations. I can't tell by the investigative file. He wrote a report about the meeting he had with her. It's just seven sentences long, concluding the conversation concerned the crime. That's it. Detectives and prosecutors do not publicly mention Violet la or her claims for the next two years. It's like they just forgot about her. The most glaring example of this, Detective Richardson testifies at a grand jury hearing five months after his conversation with Violet Ellison. He says under oath that all four men charged with capital murder were in the back parking lot of the Crown Sterling Suites when Hardy was killed. But he says Omar Berry and Ardregis Ford were the shooters. This story is based on one of his conversations with Yolanda Chambers, and Detective Richardson tells the grand jury there is no doubt that Yolanda Chambers is telling us the truth. There is no mention of Violet Ellison and til To Forest is on trial, but the state puts ardregas Ford on trial.
Speaker 12: First, my grandmother spent everything she had, everything that a poor woman had. She spent our money to defend him, you know, to get him the you know, best.
Speaker 6: Representation she could.
Speaker 1: Ardregas's cousin, Nicole Blunt Kerksey, comes to my house to talk to me about the case. She's wearing a patterned dress and cowboy boots. Her hair is pulled back into a high bun. For many years, she grew up in the same house as ar Dregas. Their mothers are sisters.
Speaker 8: It was a lot of money for.
Speaker 13: A poor family. It really was a lot of My grandmother had a lot of money saved back then. Even poor people like she didn't spend everything she had. She always put money back. She worked for a Union Envelope, which was like a factory over in Prett City for years, and then she used to wash clothes and clean houses for people, and so she just tucked a lot of that money. She just tucked it away, and she exhausted just about everything to try to get him the representation that he needed for that trial, other than my grandmother's money. I mean, we had barbecues and just you know, things to raise money so that we could pay the attorney.
Speaker 1: Ardregus's mom, Joyce, tells me the same thing. So you had to raise some of the money, some of it. Yeah, do you remember how much you ended up paying.
Speaker 8: Looks like I don't know, might have been over forty thousand or something. It's a lot of money.
Speaker 14: It was.
Speaker 1: Ar Dregus's family hires Richard Jaffey, a renowned defense attorney who had represented dozens of people facing the death penalty, to Forrest. Johnson's cousin, Antonio Green remembers trying to figure out what his family could do to get to Forrest the best legal defense available.
Speaker 11: One of the prominent attorneys during that time. Me and my uncle went and talked to him about taking this case for the fares during that time, and he told us it's right, that's in his office. He said, bring him a ten thousand dollars retainer and he'll bring our love one home. Of course, ten thousand dollars, he might well say ten million at that time to me, you know, and you know, we just we just didn't have it, couldn't do it. Everybody scratching to make it and feed the family. And we all understood that because I'm thinking, Okay, I got to get a loan, I got to do, you know something. But that was what was amazing too Bill to fire is he understood that. He was like, because don't worry about that. I'm gonna be all right. I didn't do this loo That was his old thing. They're not gonna lock me up because I didn't do this.
Speaker 1: Judge Alfred Bayhackle appoints two attorneys to represent to forrest a sharply dressed, thirty two year old black man named Darryl Bender and Erskine mathis a white, middle aged former police officer with a thick mustache. In nineteen ninety seven, Alabama paid appointed defense attorneys just twenty dollars an hour for work outside the courtroom, with a cap of one thousand dollars. Most appointed lawyers can't afford to work for free, so this very low cap limited how well they could prepare for trial. Our Dregis Ford is first to go to trial in November of nineteen ninety seven. There's a photo of him in the newspaper. He's sitting in his wheelchair in court wearing a starched collared shirt and dark blazer. The junior prosecutor on the case is a thirty four year old black man named Theo Lawson. Jeff Wallace is the lead prosecutor. He's tall, white, a commanding figure in the court room, forty three years old, twelve years into his career.
Speaker 5: I think my reputation was of being a tough prosecutor, meaning if I had the case, I pushed it to his limits. And I think my reputation might be that I was maybe a little too tough. Sometimes I hope that's not true, but I'm afraid it might be true.
Speaker 1: Jeff Wallace was assigned to major cases and aggressively sought to please his boss, DA David Barr, who was a tough on crime leader focused on getting convictions, and this case was personal for Jeff Wallace. He knew the victim.
Speaker 5: Every prosecutor who is diligent, works closely with the police, and when something happens to one of them, you're not one of the boys in blue, as they say, but they're your friends. So when this happened to Deputy Hardy, he got my attention.
Speaker 1: The trial against ar dregas Ford starts at one fifty pm on November fifth. In a short opening statement, the prosecution summarizes the crime for the jury, arguing that our dragas Ford is guilty of capital murder. They don't mention a motive. Afterwards, Jeff Wallace calls the county's chief medical examiner to the stand. He explains that Hardy's wounds were at an upward angle through his head. Jeff Wallace argues this would be consistent with Ardregas firing the shots from his wheelchair. Prosecutors also call Yolanda Chambers as a witness, even though she recanted her story in court a year ago. Since then, she's gone back to saying that she was there when Hardy was killed. She now says she saw ardregas Ford fire at least one shot. Richard Jaffey. Ardregas's lawyer argues that if the hotel witnesses had seen ardregas Ford commit the crime. They would have seen this.
Speaker 4: Ardregas Ford wheeling up about thirty feet of an incline in his wheelchair, somehow finding an ability to shoot two shots into Deputy Hardy, then be wheeled down by someone all the way back to their car. The wheelchair would have had to been put in there. Ardregas would have had to been physically put into the driver's seat. De Forrest would have had to have gotten back into the passenger seat, and then they would have driven off, and that would have taken at least a minute or two minimum.
Speaker 1: Of course, no one at the hotel saw anything like that.
Speaker 4: The only thing they had on ardregas Ford was Yolanda Chambers.
Speaker 1: Jaffe calls witnesses to the stand who saw Ardregis at Tea's Place at the same time that Deputy Hardy was shot.
Speaker 4: We didn't call any witnesses other than alibi witnesses.
Speaker 1: The key decision the jury has to make. Do they believe Yolanda chambers testimony that ardregas killed Deputy Hardy behind the Crown Sterling suites, or do they believe the three alibi witnesses who say he was at Teaspace place at the same time that Deputy Hardy was murdered. The jury votes ten to two to acquit ardregas Ford, but that's not enough. Murder trials require a unanimous verdict. Since this decision was split, Judge Bayhackle declares a mistrial, but ardregas Ford is not set free. The state plans to try him a second time. Two weeks later, the first trial, again to Forrest Johnson, begins. Here's to Forrest's cousin, Antonio Green.
Speaker 11: I remember me personally myself. I was very optimistic. I was very optimistic simply because I knew what they had, which was nothing as far as evidence goes. I'm like, okay, well, it's just a part of the process. They'll hear the evidence or like thereof, and we'll be going home, you know, and this is all over. But as the days went on, from the first couple of days of the trial, you could see a really different environment in the courtroom.
Speaker 1: The only video from the trial I've seen is a short TV news clip. It's filmed through a window on the courtroom door, and to Forrest looks so young, much younger than twenty four. He's clean shaven, baby faced, dressed for court in a striped button down shirt and tie with a gray blazer. He looks around the courtroom. Maybe he's nervous, but then he lights up with a huge smile when he sees a family member who comes over to speak with him. The state's lead prosecutor, Jeff Wallace, gets up in front of the jury. Just two weeks earlier, he argued that our Dregis Ford shot Deputy Hardy, but now he tells a completely different story. He says that to Forrest Johnson shot Hardy. The theory that the shooter was seated in a wheelchair is never mentioned, and Yolanda Chambers never sets foot in the courtroom. Instead, the prosecution tells the jury in opening statements that they will hear evidence that will convince them beyond a reasonable doubt that to Forrest shot and killed Deputy Hardy. Then Jeff Wallace introduces the state's new star witness, Violet Ellison. She tells the jury she eavestrong on several three way calls because she was concerned about her daughter talking to people at the jail, and because she's naturally nosy. She says she contacted detectives six days after she listened in on the first call because she couldn't sleep after hearing information about the murder of Deputy Bill Hardy. On the stand, Violet Ellison tells the jury that she overheard to Forrest say these words, I shot the fucker in the head, and I saw his head go back and he fell, and he shouldn't have got in my business messing up my shit. There was no mention of I shot the fucker in the head or anything like that. And Violet Ellison's original recorded statement to police, she did write the statement down in notes on the back of an envelope that she submitted to police, but she gave them these notes six weeks after her first recorded statement On the stand, She says she jotted down the notes while she listened in on the call between to Forest and Daisy, and then copied the notes onto a sheet of paper. But it's hard for me to believe that these notes were written during the phone call she claims she overheard. For example, Violet Ellison is adamant in her testimony that she heard to Forest only use his first name, but her notes refer to him as Johnson. If she was just writing down what she heard while she heard it. Why wouldn't she have written to Forest? How would she have known his last name? To Forrest's attorneys also say that what Violet Ellison heard was just one side of a conversation. They say to Forrest was telling Daisy what he was accused of doing, not what he did. He was responding to her question, why are you in jail? But when Darryl Bender questions Violet Ellison, she tells him she's positive that Daisy never asked to Forrest why he was in jail. But then she also says that she didn't pay any attention to Daisy's side of the conversation because she was only interested in what to Forest had to say. If this feels confusing to you, welcome, I've been trying to make this make sense for two years. How can Violet Ellison insist that she knows what Daisy did or did not say, while also admitting that she only listened to one side of the conversation. Antonio Green, to Forrest's cousin, remembers watching Violet Ellison on the stand.
Speaker 11: The only evidence supposedly they had against was this ear witness, who had never heard him speak before, who had no idea who he was, but to sit in there and see how the system from you know, the judge, the prosecutors and all that pushed that case towards him. I mean constantly it was he did it. We got the right one. He did it, and forget the evidence, don't worry about that. We're just telling you he did it. It's pretty much, it's all they had.
Speaker 1: When Violet Ellison finishes testifying, Daisy Williams takes the stand. She says to Forrest did not admit to the murder on that phone call, and she never heard him say the things Violet Ellison claimed to overhear. So Violet Ellison, a friend of the victim, says she heard one thing. Daisy Williams, a friend of the accused, says she heard another. The case comes down to who the jury will believe. After five days of testimony to Forrest's supporters nervously wait as the jury begins to deliberate, and once again, the jury cannot reach a unanimous decision. Nine jurors vote to convict, but three others are not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt. The judge declares a mistrial.
Speaker 11: They deliberated and they couldn't come to a verdict, so they took him back to kept him locked up and immediately pretty much gave had another date for a second trial.
Speaker 1: So there wasn't really any time to celebrate.
Speaker 11: No, no, no, no, it wasn't any of that. And then even then I didn't think. I didn't look at it as any type of victory, because an innocent man should be found innocent.
Speaker 8: Yeah, nice to see you, Jeff.
Speaker 1: I'm at Shelburn.
Speaker 8: You can call me back. Can I call you?
Speaker 9: Jeff?
Speaker 8: Okay? Great.
Speaker 1: Jeff Wallace prosecuted both to Forrest and Ardregis. When I emailed him to set up an interview, he asked me to meet him at the large Methodist church attends in a Birmingham suburb. He's now retired, but spent twenty five years as a prosecutor in Jefferson County.
Speaker 6: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Sure, we record the interview in the church's empty sanctuary. He tells me he prefers to do interviews standing up because of all of his courtroom experience. So we're standing in this sanctuary at the altar, facing each other, having this conversation in front of a giant pipe organ. The way we're set up, it feels like We're either here to debate or get married anyway. This is why the recording sounds a little echoey.
Speaker 5: We had a weak case. It's placed on testimony.
Speaker 1: In one witness, Jeff Wallace remembers that the case against to Forrest Johnson hinged on the testimony of Violet Ellison.
Speaker 5: That is extremely strong evidence if it's believed. Of course, the question becomes, so you believe that evidence? Well, to believe that evidence, you have to pleaves Allison. To believe miss Ellison, you have to look at the facts how she said it happened.
Speaker 1: To Forest's second trial begins eight months after the first one ends in a mistrial. Jeff Wallace is the lead prosecutor. Again. He calls Violet Ellison to the stand, where she testifies that she overheard to Forrest admit to Hardy's murder on a three way phone call. Jeff Wallace says Violet Ellison listened in on the calls because she was concerned about her daughter, and once again, to Forrest's attorneys call Daisy Williams, who maintains that to Forest never confessed to the murder. To Forest's lawyer, Darryl Bender asks Daisy did he describe to you the series of events that he said had occurred. Daisy, no bender. Did he tell you where this happened again, Daisy, no bender? Did he tell you that he had killed somebody? Daisy no, Sir. Jeff Wallace tries to cast doubt on Daisy's testimony. He says, maybe Daisy is testifying about a different call, or maybe she's just the wrong Daisy. Yet again, it's one witnesses word against another. Right before Jeff Wallace addresses the jury for closing statements, he picks up a piece of evidence, Deputy Hardy's hat, the one that he would always wear on duty, the one he was wearing when he was shot. It has a bullet hole through the brim. Jeff Wallace argues that Violet Ellison heard to Forrest Johnson bragging about what he did. Wallace turns to the jury and says, let me read you the words, his words, not mine. I shot the fucker in the head. I saw his head go back and he fell. He should never have gotten my business messing up my shit. He says these words to the jury like this is an on the record statement directly from to Forrest Johnson, when it's really Violet Ellison's testimony of what she says she overheard however it occurred. Wallace continues, he's proud of his role in it, and don't forget that, no matter how many shots were fired, he's proud of the one he put into Deputy Hardy's head. Here's his respect for Bill Hardy. Wallace throws Hardy's hat onto the courtroom floor. He's as guilty as they come. Judge Bahackle gives the jury instructions to carefully consider all of the evidence. They begin deliberations at four twenty five pm on a Friday afternoon to Forest's family waits for the verdict.
Speaker 11: He's a defendant, but he's innocent until proven guilty. That didn't seem to be the case in the courtroom during that time. It was like, you have to go above and beyond to prove you're innocent because as a right now you're guilty. And that was a a there was a dark feeling in there. You couldn't you couldn't get around it.
Speaker 1: Two and a half hours later, at seven to ten pm, the jurors file back into the courtroom with their decision to Forrest. Johnson is found guilty of capital murder Judge Bay Hackle schedules the penalty phase for the following Monday. This is when the jury will decide to Forrest's fate, should he be sent to prison for life without parole or put to death for Hardy's murder. The penalty phase of a capital murder case represents the highest stakes in our criminal justice system. Defense attorneys often call lots of witnesses and sometimes spend weeks presenting evidence to try to convince the jury to spare their client's life. The penalty phase hearing for to Forest Johnson lasts only eighty minutes. To Forrest's attorneys call three members of his family to testify. When Erskine Mathis asks to Forrest's grandmother, you know what we're here for today, she answers, well, yeah, I guess not really, though it's clear Mathis and Bender didn't add a quickly prepare her for the hearing. On the stand to Forrest's mother, Donna cries so hard she can barely hold her head up. At one point, Mattha says to her, listen to me. Can you raise your head up and look at me? Donna Johnson tells the jury through her tears, just don't give my baby no electric chair. The final witness is to Forrest's cousin, Antonio Green.
Speaker 11: I'm fifty two years old and until the day that's probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, was get on that stand and beg for his life.
Speaker 1: The jury deliberates to Forrest's fate for over five hours. In the decision about whether or not to Forest should live or die, all of the jurors don't have to agree. A unanimous vote is needed for guilt or innocence. But but a jury in Alabama can sentence a person to death with a majority vote of ten to two, and just after five pm they reach a decision with the minimum number of votes needed ten to two. The jury recommends the death penalty. Judge Alfred Bahackle affirms the recommendation that to Forrest Johnson be executed for the murder of Deputy Bill Hardy. One newspaper reports that to Forest sat motionless as the jury's recommendation was read, appearing to be stunned. To Forrest's mother, Donna, screamed no, no, no. To Forrest's oldest daughter, Shane, was in the courtroom that day. She was six years old at the time.
Speaker 9: And I just kept kind of trying to get his attention and blurting out how nice he looked in his suit. And so finally the judge kind of had me escorted out.
Speaker 10: Of the courtroom.
Speaker 9: But there's a little small window, and my cousin had me on his shoulders. He escorted me out. He had me on his shoulders so I could just peek through and see my dad through that little small courtroom window and ironically stole that was my last memory of him in the free world.
Speaker 10: So my thing is this, why didn't the arabnden reach out to me?
Speaker 1: To Flores Felanick Sanders aka Queisi, still wonders why to Forrest's attorneys didn't call her or Mama Cat to testify at his second trial like they did in the first one.
Speaker 10: That makes me feel like we failed them because we saw them and we wasn't the only ones, so it's like what we said didn't even matter, like they didn't take it into consideration.
Speaker 1: Mama Cat and Quisi were important alibi witnesses at his first trial who saw him at Tea's place the night party was murdered, and their testimony may have created enough reasonable doubt to prevent a guilty verdict. Instead, to Forrest's attorneys called two other witnesses from Teas, but these witnesses didn't seem well prepared and were flustered on the stand. I wondered the same about Marshall Kelly Cummings, the Keebler cookie guy. Why didn't they call him as a witness in the second trial? What he saw out the window, one person slowly driving away in a copper colored car that contradicted the state's story. But the jury that sentenced to Forrest to death never heard from him. The third difference between to Forest's first and second trials involves Latania Henderson, the friend of Yolanda Chambers, who was in the car with to Forest and Ardregis after they left Tea's place. Remember, Latania was facing a charge of hindering prosecution. She went to jail for five months because she refused to go along with Yolanda chambers story. At the time of Taforrest's second trial, Latania was still facing this charge when prosecutor Jeff Wallace called her as a witness right before the jurors were brought into the courtroom. Jeff Wallace told the judge, the state wants to secure her testimony, and in that regard, we are dismissing her hindering prosecution case. For years, Latania said that she didn't know anything about Deputy Hardy's murder, and it was only just before she took the stand for the prosecution that the state dropped the felony charge against her. Poof like magic. When she took the stand, Latania stuck to her story that she wasn't there when hardy was murdered, that no one in Ardregas's car talked about killing anyone, But she did say that she had a gun that night, and so did to Forrest. On the stand, she said she hid her gun on the tire of another car, and that Ardregas Yolanda and to Forrest hid the other gun under the dashboard. Police searched Ardregas's car after they impounded it. They never found a gun, but Latanya's testimony put a gun into Forrest's hand on the night of the murder, and this likely stuck with the jury and finally to Forest's lawyers called an unexpected witness.
Speaker 14: The thing that happened to me that is the most just stunning, is putting Elanda Chambers on the on the stand in the defense case.
Speaker 1: Derek Drennan was a young lawyer working with Jaffey on Ardregas's case at the time. Both attorneys were paying close attention to to Forest's trials. When I first read the trial transcript, I wondered, why would the defense call Yolanda Chambers to the stand. And Derek had the same question as he watched it unfold.
Speaker 14: Why would you call the only person on the planet who will testify on her oath that your client was there? You know, and lia I mean knowing they're lying about it.
Speaker 1: Yolanda testified that she was at the scene of the crime with to Forest, Latanya and Ardregis. She said it was Ardregas, not to Forrest who killed Deputy Hardy. But still her testimony directly contradicted to Forrest's alibi that he was at Teas place.
Speaker 14: They're asking a dury to believe her when she says, you know, Johnson didn't shoot Afford it. I don't know how that could that could be justified. There's nobody on the planet that's going to put your client on that parking lot that night except for you. Alana Chambers nobody will and to put her up there to say that their client was innocent because Ford did. It just beyond me. Yeah, that to me is just it's just really inexplicable.
Speaker 1: Prosecutor Jeff Wallace seized on this at trial. In his closing statement, he told the jury, if you go back in the jury room and decide that Yolanda Chambers ought not to have been allowed to testify because she's a liar or whatever you might decide about her, that's okay. State didn't call her the defense did I want you to remember that I called both of to Forrest's original trial lawyers to ask about the decisions they made in defending to Forest, but neither would sit down with me for an interview.
Speaker 11: We forget sometime that there was a third person on that phone who told him it discredits what this lady says. She heard you know what I mean? And now, how much closer can you get than that you're the third party in that three way conversation and you say, no, that's not what it was.
Speaker 1: I needed to find the person on the other end of the phone call that Violet Ellison overheard, the person who actually talked to Forest, Daisy Williams. Daisy was nineteen when she testified it to Forrest's second trial. She's now in her mid forties and has never spoken publicly about the case, but she agrees to come to my house to talk.
Speaker 8: I'm a mechanic. How did you.
Speaker 1: Get into being a mechanic?
Speaker 8: Into working on carba growing up? I love cars. I have a seventy one four at home now that I'm trying to restore. I love working all them. I love, you know, going to like the car races and everything.
Speaker 1: We settle in on the couch and talk for over an hour.
Speaker 8: So Fars is a real good person. He got a real good.
Speaker 1: Heart, Daisy tells me to Forrest was friends with her two brothers, Charles and Eugene. They used to hang out and play basketball when they were growing up in Pratt City, and her story about what happened on that phone call is consistent. What she tells me more than twenty five years later doesn't vary from what she said on the stand.
Speaker 8: My cousin actually called me because he was in the county jail at the time.
Speaker 1: And who was that was that?
Speaker 8: Fre Fred Carter?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, So when that initial call came to you. I guess Fred had called Katrina, Violet Ellison's daughter and then she made the three way call to connect him to you. Yes, and then he put to Forrest On, is that how it went?
Speaker 8: Yes? He actually, like I said, he told me. He was like, yes, who up here with me? And he knew, you know, we all grew up in Press City together. And he was like to for it's not like for real, and he gave Forrest phone, let me talk to him. So I'm talking to him, like man, what's going on? And he told me I've been accused of, you know, killing somebody. And I was like, man, you got a lawyer, and he was like yeah, and we left it at that. We didn't go no further with that conversation about the depth they that share. He said he was accused and that's all he said to me.
Speaker 1: Why did the jury believe this woman who eavesdrop on the call over you who actually.
Speaker 8: On the call. I don't understand. I never understood that. You know, they went on hearsay, They went on, which she said she overheard they didn't actually listen to me. I was young, so I feel like by me being young, they didn't actually listen to me, Oh, well, she's just you know, somebody you know knows she probably just saying something, and that's how I felt.
Speaker 1: There are two recurring questions that come up when to Forest's family and friends talk with me about the case. The first, why isn't Violet Ellison's testimony hearsay? Usually something that someone overheard is considered hearsay and not admissible as evidence in court. To Forest's lawyers tried to argue that Violet Ellison's testimony was hearsay to get it thrown out, but the judge overruled them. It turned out there is an exception to the hearsay rule when someone claims to overhear the defendant admitting to the crime. The second isn't the jail supposed to record phone calls? According to testimony from a jail supervisor, the phones in the Jefferson County jail weren't equipped with the ability to record in nineteen ninety five. One of the hardest things to comprehend about this case is what happens ten months after to Forrest Johnson was convicted and sentenced to death. In June of nineteen ninety nine, the state once again tries to convict Ardregis Ford. Jeff Wallace prosecutes the Hardy case for the fourth time. In the States, star witness Yolanda Chambers Violet Ellison is never even mentioned, and Wallace presents yet another theory of the crime, a fifth theory. At the grand jury hearing, the state argued that Ardregas and Omar Barry killed Deputy Hardy. Then, at Ardregas's first trial, Jeff Wallace said Ardregas was the only person who killed Deputy Hardy. Then at to Forrest's first trial a month later, he argued that to Forrest was the only shooter. A year later, when to Forest was tried a second time, the state said to Forrest fired a shot, and so did Quintez Wilson, but they said Wilson was not being tried because of a lack of evidence. And finally, after to Forrest, Johnson was sentenced to death. And after Jeff Wallace characterized Yolanda Chambers as a liar, he turns around and uses Yolanda as his own star witness against Ardregas Ford. The jury in Ardregas's second trial deliberates for less than an hour and declares him not guilty. Ardregas is acquitted. I talked to his cousin Nicole about that moment. I wonder how that made you feel. I mean, did it make you feel like the system worked that ar Dregas was acquitted.
Speaker 13: It didn't make me feel like the system work. It showed me that Richard Jaffi did a wonderful job defending him.
Speaker 1: Ardregus and to Forrest had the same alibi. Nobody denies that they were together the knight Hardy was killed, but there was a major difference between their cases. Ardregas's family was able to pay for a renowned attorney and to Forrest's family wasn't. Meanwhile, prosecutors had a powerful tool at their disposal, the ability to use multiple theories to get the outcome. They were seeking someone to go down for Hardy's murder.
Speaker 4: No prosecutors should be allowed to, in any case, much less a death penalty case, to try two different defendants for the same crime using a different theory and different sets of witnesses, as if they're staging two Broadway plays of the same scenario.
Speaker 1: Richard jeffy Ardregus's lawyer, this.
Speaker 4: Case is all about alternative worlds that are in conflict with each other. And in conflict with truth, and in conflict with what our justice system stands for.
Speaker 1: Arguing inconsistent theories isn't technically illegal, but I mean, come on, five different theories. There is no way all five of these theories can be true. These theories are mutually exclusive in conflict with each other. I ask Jeff Wallace to explain how could he argue these mutually exclusive theories against two different people for the same crime.
Speaker 5: It's a valid question, but it's not the right question. The right question is whether or not we argued something that was supported by the evidence in that trial.
Speaker 1: But help me understand how, as a prosecutor you can argue that one person is the gunman in the killing of a deputy, he's convicted and sentenced to death, and then at a subsequent trial argue that another person was the shooter.
Speaker 5: Well, it would not be, if I can be hyper technical, it would not be the shooter of the sign bullet.
Speaker 1: Jeff Wallace gives me a long winded explanation about how two people could be guilty of the same crime if, for example, one person shoots a victim and another fires a shot, but the bullet flies off into space. Welcome but that's not what Jeff Wallace argued at trial.
Speaker 5: Gill's the victim. You don't have to decide which one fired the shot or both guilty.
Speaker 1: But the evidence showed that there was only one gun and one gunman, right.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't know if you say that.
Speaker 1: I think that's what the firearms expert testified to he did. A firearms examiner looked at the two shell casings found at the murder scene and determined they had been fired from the same nine milimeters pistol, indicating there was only one shooter. I keep pressing him. I want Jeff Wallace to tell me how he's squared in his own mind these contradictory theories about who fired the fatal shots. Jeff and I go round and round. In theory, prosecutors are employed to seek the truth. They don't have a mandate to obtain convictions. But the law allowed him to do what he did. And Jeff Wallace told me himself he was known to push a case to its limits.
Speaker 5: I'm afraid that my reputation was that I was fairly pan Oh. I tried to follow all the roads, tried to do exactly what the boss wanted done, and so I tried to follow all orders, and now wish I'd been a little more yielding. Sometimes I wish I'd seen a little more gray. But I was fairly black and white.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 5: I'm afraid I was fairly mean, and I'm not necessarily proud of that.
Speaker 1: As to Forrest's family watched their worst nightmare unfold, it was clear that he wasn't the only one failed by these trials. They also thought about Deputy Bill Hardy and his family.
Speaker 11: You know, the victim's family deserved to know what happened to their loved one, but they get no justice, no peace out of a wrongful conviction, you know. And this is simply a case of just anybody all do and looking at it from the inside, it seems like the whole thing was just put together like a puzzle. All this is going on in a court of law that's supposed to be the most honest place in our country.
Speaker 1: After he sentenced to death, correctional officers put to Forest in a van and drive him two hundred miles south of Birmingham. He arrives at Holman Prison and is assigned a five y eight cell on death row, where he'll spend twenty three hours a day, Roaches crawl everywhere, and there's no air conditioning in this sweltering Alabama heat. As months go by, to Forrest learns to survive in this agonizing space, but he also sees prison guards take men from their cells and walk them around the corner to the death chamber, and he wonders when they are coming for him? Is he next?
Speaker 3: He just started crying and I asked him what was wrong, and he said that he had just assumed that they could come any minute and take him to be executed.
Speaker 1: That's next time. Ear Witness is a production of Lava for Good Podcasts in association with Signal Company Number One. Executive producers are Jason Flom, Jeff Kempler, Kevin Wardis, and me Beth Shelburn. The investigative reporting for this series was done by Me and Mara McNamara. Producers are MARAA. McNamara, Hannah Bial and Jackie Pawley. Kara Kornhaber is our senior producer. Britt Spangler is our sound designer. Additional story editing from Marie Sutton, fact check help from Katherine Newhan, and special thanks to to Forrest Johnson's legal defense team. You can follow the show on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and Twitter at Lava for Good. To see behind the scenes content from our investigation, visit Lava for Good dot com slash earwitness