Speaker 1: What's up, y'all.
Speaker 2: It's Quest Love and for the final Friday of Women's History Month, we're releasing another episode of Historical Records my new podcasts with the story Pirates. It's an explosive usion of hip hop and history tailor may for music loving kids and families. In today's episode, Nimini makes a brand new hip hop track with special guests Anna Suzuki about mitsuier Indo, a Japanese American who took her fight against racism all the way to the Supreme Court, helping to bring about the end of Japanese American interment during World War II. This is Historical Records, the show that proves that in order to make history, you have to make some noise.
Speaker 3: Hello, this is an automated voice measuring system. Please enter your response on the dial pad or say your response out loud. For English, press one for English muffin, Press two for an English accent, Press three. You have entered two. If you would like your English muffin toasted, Press one.
Speaker 4: What no?
Speaker 1: I pressed one?
Speaker 3: You have entered one. Toasting your English muffin. Now your weight time is three minutes.
Speaker 1: I don't want an English muffin. I want to speak to a representative.
Speaker 3: Would you like to speak to a representative? If this is correct, Press one for another English muffin, Press two toasting two English muffins. No, your new weight time is three minutes and nineteen hours.
Speaker 1: What how is it that much longer? For two?
Speaker 3: You have entered two toasting three English muffins.
Speaker 1: Represent it is represent it is representative.
Speaker 3: Beetlejuice protocol activated. A representative will be with you and your three English muffins shortly. Your new weight time is my new waight time is what your new weight time is?
Speaker 1: Hello? Hello? Oh you know what? Maybe I should hang out.
Speaker 3: If you put this phone down, the number will be unreachable. You will never speak with a representative. You will never solve the problem you have called.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess I have to stay on.
Speaker 3: You're English muffins already now transferring you to the breakfast helpline. It's historical records.
Speaker 1: You are now listening to historical We're called to make history. You got to have struggled to make history.
Speaker 5: You got to show poised, cannot be.
Speaker 1: Quiet loud as a riot to make history. You gotta make some noise.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to historical records the show where we dig into the historical records in order to produce historically themed records. I'm your resident historian, Lee, and normally Niminy would do this intro, but well, I came upstairs and found her huddled in the corner on the phone, muttering to herself and hate. Niminy must stay on the line. Hmm, she can't hear me. Today's episode is about the heroic actions of Mitsie Endo. But first I need to get Nimini's attention. I haven't tried yelling at her yet, so I'll do that now.
Speaker 1: Hey, Nmona, I'm on the phone.
Speaker 7: We have a show to do.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, it's just I've been trying to reach customer support. We got a notice from the Secret Laboratory Owners Association that said we need to prove we live here by the end of the day or they'll shut off our bug spray woo.
Speaker 6: But the sandflies are getting bold enough as it is.
Speaker 1: That got sandflies.
Speaker 6: They're getting bigger too. Wait, what does proving we live here even mean?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm trying to find out, but they put me on hold all morning.
Speaker 6: And you're using a landline phone, so it's attached to the wall.
Speaker 1: Huh, yeah, I can't move very far.
Speaker 6: It looks like the phone court is stretchy though you might not be able to get all the way to the library, but they're still another way to connect to the history simulator.
Speaker 1: Follow me, all right, I'll stretch the court as much as I can. Okay, who's today's.
Speaker 6: Episode about Midsaya Endo. She was one of around one hundred and twenty thousand Japanese Americans who were detained in the US internment camps.
Speaker 1: Internment camp? What's that? In this case?
Speaker 6: It's a prison camp that holds prisoners of war.
Speaker 1: Well, that doesn't sound like a nice place to be. It's not.
Speaker 6: But Mitsia's Supreme Court case paved the way for those camps getting shut down.
Speaker 1: Wow. I'm kind of embarrassed to say, but I didn't know anything about all that.
Speaker 6: Honestly, Nimini, not a lot of people do. She didn't get a ton of attention, and she didn't ask for it. Not even her kids knew what she'd done until they were adults. Hold on this.
Speaker 1: Way, what is this in office? How did I not know about this?
Speaker 6: It's the historical records backstage area. We're not really supposed to use it on the show, but it's the only way the phone cord will reach.
Speaker 1: Wait, are these exhausted looking people in ill fitting loungewear are the writers of this show? They're writing everything we're saying right now. I can see it happening as I'm saying, Nimini.
Speaker 6: No, don't get too close to them. They'll just try to give you their lunch orders. Last I am starving.
Speaker 1: Run Niminie, run run. The phone cour doesn't have much more gives through here. Whoa wee? This room's covered in telephone wires and plugs and knots and stuff. What is this some sort of old timy nineteen forties switchboard?
Speaker 6: That's exactly what it is. Welcome to the History Simulator switchboard. This will let us use the history simulator while staying on hold.
Speaker 1: So we just plug this wire into the phone and then plug the other end into these they're called phone holes. I think I don't spend a lot of time in here either way.
Speaker 6: Just plug the phone into one of the phone holes and then switch to the other line. Then dial nine, and then the year, and then the pound sign, and we should be connected to.
Speaker 1: The right time. Probably. I'm starting to see why you preferred the goo okay plug switch to nine two dial nine.
Speaker 6: Dial nineteen forty two.
Speaker 1: One nine four two pound the rules changing.
Speaker 6: It just takes a little fine tuning to build the simulation this way, but we'll get there.
Speaker 8: Big is an emergency broadcast. Japan has launched an attack on Pearl Harbor. This marks the official entry of the United States into World War two.
Speaker 9: President Roosevelt has enacted Executive Order nine zero sixty six, establishing the West Coast as a military zone and allowing the government to relocate anyone deemed necessary.
Speaker 10: Recently established more relocation authority has begun the process of relocating the Japanese into internment camps, even those with American citizenship. As anti Japanese sentiment has risen sharply, some have questioned the legitimacy of these actions as a necessary wartime measure.
Speaker 6: What were all those broadcasts just some radio cross talk. We'll probably pick up a lot of that using the history simulator this way.
Speaker 1: I guess the extra context doesn't hurt. But are we in the right place? This looks like a law office.
Speaker 6: It sure is. Can't beat all that natural musty smell that's the smell of justice.
Speaker 1: What are we doing snooping around an empty lawyer's office. Isn't this breaking and entering? Of course not. We didn't break anything.
Speaker 6: That face was broken when we got here.
Speaker 1: What are we doing here?
Speaker 6: This is James Purcell's office in San Francisco. He wanted to challenge the legitimacy of what the US government did when they removed Japanese these Americans from their homes and placed them in internment camps. So he wanted to find the perfect subject to put together a test case.
Speaker 1: And I'm guessing that perfect subject was Mitsuie Indo.
Speaker 6: Bingo, which means he's done a ton of research on her already. Look at these notes on his desk. They're all about her life.
Speaker 1: It says, nise. What does that mean?
Speaker 6: Well, Ni means too, and say is like life or in this case generation, So Nise are second generation immigrants, meaning they were born here in the US.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, that makes sense. It says Mitsuye was born and raised in Sacramento, California, twenty two years old. She's never been to Japan, doesn't know Japanese, has a brother currently serving in the military. Not Buddhist what's that have to do with anything, you know.
Speaker 6: How, those broadcasts we heard said that there was a lot of suspicion towards Japanese people in general that actually started before the attack on Pearl Harbor. They were being closely monitored just for participating in local Japanese cultural associations or for simply being Buddhist.
Speaker 1: So the attack on Pearl Harbor probably just accelerated that.
Speaker 6: After the attack, Japanese people who had nothing to do with it were affected right away. Around three hundred to five hundred state employees were harassed at work until they were eventually laid off just for having Japanese heritage. That included Endo, who worked at the Department of Employment.
Speaker 1: So Mitsuier was an American born Christian who worked for the American government with the brother on active duty in the American military. On paper, she sounds like the least suspicious person in the world.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what James Purcell was banking on. He wanted to present someone who even the most suspicious judge couldn't possibly describe as disloyal to the United States. By using the perfect model of an American citizen, he could show that the government had illegally detained people without a shured of proof that they were enemies of the US.
Speaker 1: So what happened next? He went to talk to her.
Speaker 6: Funnily enough, they never met in in real life. They mostly communicated through official correspondence, which is why it's up to the two of us to deliver this letter to her.
Speaker 1: Us. What happened to the mailman?
Speaker 6: The mailman smashed a vase right before we got here and went on the run, So it's up to us to finish the job.
Speaker 1: Lee, I saw you smash the base. Whose side are you on here?
Speaker 6: Just dial the code for two Lee Lake and let's deliver this letter.
Speaker 1: Sure, uh so it's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Dial nine nine and then put in the area code. So five zero three five zero three star one nine four to two star one nine four two.
Speaker 8: The Touley Lake relocation set her posting over eighteen thousand residents, all living in close quarters, complete with eight foot high double fences, minos of barbed wire, and thousands of bombed guards. You'll feel secure knowing you can't leave.
Speaker 11: Have you filled out your loyalty questionnaire? Simply answer yes to thirty quick questions and you'll learn back our trust, prove that you're worthy of lee camps by pledging your willingness to renounce the Japanese ever and to serve in our military Habeas corpus.
Speaker 9: It's a legal document protesting an un lawful attainment.
Speaker 10: By requesting an appearance in front of a court or judge.
Speaker 7: If you've been relocated.
Speaker 8: Against your will, this just might be the right legal move for you.
Speaker 1: What was that propaganda ads?
Speaker 6: Yeah, from the sound of it, this internment camp, the loyalty questionnaires, they were blatant actions to limit the freedoms of Japanese Americans that the government still tried to paint the picture that they were doing it for the good of the country.
Speaker 1: And that last one about habeas corpus, that's what we're here to deliver to Endo, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The case hinges on the fact that bringing her and everyone else to the camps without a trial violated their constitutional rights.
Speaker 1: This place really is intimidating. It's entirely fenced in. There's barbed wire as far as the eye can see. And they weren't kidding about the armed guards. Are you sure we can be in here? Look at our outfits.
Speaker 6: We're just as mailmen now and as far as this historical simulation goes, mail men are allowed to be anywhere.
Speaker 1: You take a lot of liberties with your stimulations.
Speaker 6: Hey, hey, I don't tell you how to do your job, even though I think your songs could stand to use a little more tambourine.
Speaker 1: Excuse me? Are you two mail men lost? Are you mitsuier endo? I am? What can I do for you?
Speaker 6: Actually, we were sent here to deliver this letter to you. Oh, thank you.
Speaker 4: Hmmm, if I'm understanding this correctly, mister Purcell is asking for my help to sue the US government.
Speaker 6: We know it's a lot of responsibility, but I'll do it.
Speaker 4: Really, simple as that, simple as that. We were all brought here without any sort of trial. But by using me we can show them that what they've done to us is wrong. If this can help everyone else out, then there's no question about it.
Speaker 6: I have to do it. We thought you'd say that. We'll let mister Purcell know right away.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I hope it's a quick process.
Speaker 1: Up, Please excuse me, I have to get to the mess hall. It was nice to meet you. It was nice meeting you too. She knows it won't be a quick process, doesn't she.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And not just because she used to be a government employee. Her case will be delayed, dismissed, and worked around.
Speaker 1: You mean they're gonna try to get her to drop the case.
Speaker 6: Yep, and this place to Lee Lake. It's gonna get worse. The conditions are gonna reach the point where Endo wishes that she could leave, and the war Relocation Authority starts cutting deals that let people in midsea situation relocate outside of California. But if she leaves the state, the court no longer has jurisdiction over her case and it'll be dropped.
Speaker 1: So she'll refuse the chance to get out of here.
Speaker 6: Because just like she said, she's gonna do the thing that helps people, no matter how difficult it gets.
Speaker 1: Let me guess they'll find a way to move her anyway.
Speaker 6: Her case will be dismissed and they'll move her to Utah.
Speaker 1: Oh my head hurts from all the legal system logistics. How'd our case ever make it to the Supreme Court?
Speaker 6: You mean because we never went back to relay her message to Purcell.
Speaker 1: It's a simulation.
Speaker 6: Any a different mailman went back to tell him, probably after he apologized for smashing that priceless face with your fingerprints.
Speaker 1: All over it. My fingerprints.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I planted your fingerprints on it so I wouldn't get blamed.
Speaker 1: Is that a crime?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Not in my simulation, it's not.
Speaker 6: Forget the vase, you're the one fixating on it.
Speaker 1: I meant, how did her case make it to the Supreme Court? After all that?
Speaker 6: James Purcell filed an appeal and made sure it got elevated all the way there here, let me dial us in nine nineteen forty four pound pound star number pad smash.
Speaker 8: In the case of Hirobayashi versus the United States, in the case.
Speaker 9: Of Yusui versus the United States, in the case of Kormonts versus the United States.
Speaker 1: What were those other cases?
Speaker 6: They were the three other challenges to the internment camps that made it to the Supreme Court, but they all failed.
Speaker 1: That doesn't sound good. I'm guessing we're at the Supreme Court.
Speaker 9: Then.
Speaker 1: What gave it away?
Speaker 6: The nine Supreme Court justices glaring at us, Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 1: Can we even be in here?
Speaker 7: You too, the mailman, You shouldn't be in here, your honor.
Speaker 6: We were in here to deliver a letter, but we accidentally superglued our butts to the seats. Is it okay if we just observe the rest of the proceedings while we wait for someone to unbolt our seats from the ground and carry us home.
Speaker 7: I don't know what to say to that, but we're running short on time, so I'll allow it. Let's move on to our final decision on mitsuye Endo versus the United States. We are of the view that mitsuye Endo should be given her liberty, for we conclude that whatever power the War Relocation Authority may have to de tell other classes of citizens, it has no authority to subject citizens who are concededly loyal to its leave procedure.
Speaker 1: Wait. That means she won, right she did.
Speaker 6: Out of the four cases elevated to the Supreme Court surrounding the issues of Japanese internment, hers was the only case that was ruled in favor of the plaintiff. After this, President Roosevelt reversed the executive order and citizens were allowed to go home.
Speaker 1: But a court ruling's not like waving a magic wand is it. It doesn't just change back everything that went wrong.
Speaker 6: No, And unlike the super glue I put on our pants, its effect isn't immediate Endo stayed in the camp for another five months to look after her parents, and after that, well, it's not like the communities that most of these people were kicked out of didn't suddenly stop being suspicious of Japanese Americans. A lot of people didn't even have homes to return to.
Speaker 1: I can imagine I wouldn't go back to that. It couldn't have been easy finding new housing or jobs after being ripped away and then kept away for all that time.
Speaker 6: She actually never even went back to California. Eventually she made her way to Chicago. She wanted to put this whole thing behind her, like I'm sure a lot of others did, including the US government itself.
Speaker 1: What do you mean dial nine and then nineteen eighty eight? Wait, nineteen eighty eight, as in forty years later? Mm hmmugh, okay, huh a conference room, Hanna.
Speaker 6: Is that the president of the Screen Actors Guild Ronald Reagan? Yes, but in nineteen eighty eight, Ronald Reagan was also the.
Speaker 1: President of the United States.
Speaker 6: Did you notice that the language in the Supreme Court's ruling didn't mention racial discrimination.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, now that I think about it, it just said that the government couldn't detain people who were decidedly loyal. So was that how Indo could in her case while the other cases were all struck down exactly.
Speaker 6: This press conference with former ZAG President Reagan is the first time that the US is officially apologizing to the one hundred and twenty thousand Japanese Americans who were wrongfully detained.
Speaker 12: Yet we must recognize that the internment of Japanese Americans was just that a mistake. For throughout the war, Japanese Americans in the tens of thousands remained utterly loyal to the United.
Speaker 6: States better late than ever, I guess remember the other three cases, Hirabayashi, Yasui, and Korematsu. Losing those cases wasn't just a loss for Japanese Americans, but also for those three individuals. They were technically considered convicts, which is something that makes it pretty hard to find a job. Even after this apology, it wouldn't be until twenty eighteen that those three cases officially got overturned, clearing their names. Twenty eighteen, Yeah, forty more years.
Speaker 1: But for now, let's get back to the lab.
Speaker 6: Switch back to line one.
Speaker 13: Lee.
Speaker 1: I know that technically we saw Indo win her case.
Speaker 6: But I know nineteen forty two all the way to twenty eighteen, history is full of regrettable decisions and mistakes of things that still need to be acknowledged and corrected.
Speaker 1: But if things move that slowly, how are any of us supposed to change anything?
Speaker 6: It does seem daunting and complicated and overwhelming. But the things we actually do, our actions, those can be simple.
Speaker 1: How do you mean Midsea.
Speaker 6: Endo didn't set out to change the world. She was just offered a chance to do what was right. Someone said to her, we need you to play a part.
Speaker 1: Can you do that? And she said yes?
Speaker 6: And she said yes, She took a small quiet action, stayed determined, and that set everything else in motion. Winning her case effectively led to the end of the internment camp and made way for the reversals of the other three cases decades later.
Speaker 1: It's like she said, if it helps other people, I'll do it. Even if the system itself is imperfect, it's people who ultimately make sure it works. And people will make mistakes and corrections and try their best to do what's right, even if it takes a long time.
Speaker 6: Speaking of taking a long time, you got a song for.
Speaker 1: Us or what you bet I do? All right, everyone, it's time to celebrate smid City eight in those heroic actions with this brand new trek.
Speaker 14: Well the Empire of the Just on the Red, Light and Blue the bat was run by the batty. Outcome was that you enjoying World War two and the theater?
Speaker 1: Or are the subjects of Mendia chung.
Speaker 5: But the song will explore, how are you as sure something destardbly happened at home? At the time Japanese on the West end of America had that loyalties question.
Speaker 1: Franklin Roosebelm did the.
Speaker 5: Worst with his best friend and declared to Congress and the world that if you de said did from the land of the Yen, you were now an alien. Doesn't matter citizen order fors or second gent to the men, you're subject to the acts of sedition laws with the terrible tradition. So the Usnate trips were on a mission to round up the Nisay and he say in prisons against the will and without any discernment.
Speaker 1: Thus began the policy that we not all internment.
Speaker 13: They said free, but then they roved humans their humanity. So I asked, how can you a fight when you lost that wage made internment condenses.
Speaker 5: The camps are intense.
Speaker 8: It's at test to.
Speaker 1: Be ripped from your home.
Speaker 5: Gomard wire offences and armguard defenses who shoot you if you try to go. When pressures oppressive, some books get inventive. They look for that opposite force.
Speaker 1: No, they won't be pensive. They're on the offensive. And they saw recourse in the courts the Japanese.
Speaker 5: American Citizens League, not the American in their citizenry. You wanted to challenge Roosevelt politically, and we're certain that a journey again judge will agree. So three men, Gordon and Rabbay Yashi, Fred Koremats and Minova Yasubi had a law degree. They thought possibly that they could stop this central city with honesty. But they got popped in the job by hypocrisy, lost their steam, dropped to it not for three and it backed up where they didn't wanna be, in turn, in turn interminably in.
Speaker 1: Free There are some the striving for the y I ask, how can you fight when you're down?
Speaker 5: Even so, World War two rages conflict of the ages. The people in turn still strive to bring from their cages and start on new pages. But that dream is barely alive for sell their esquires, getting real tired of looking for our cases that can go until he's inspired by someone who's fired and her name to an Endo Kendo born in Sacramento, was employed by the State Board, but then wistftly let go after the harber abtexts, which director they counter acts.
Speaker 1: The spirit of most US manifesto. They case the court on a Habeus written, but the judge.
Speaker 5: In a thing that her case was legit, but the US government knew something else about it, so they overmade him just for only her, and she said no way.
Speaker 1: More years locked in the fort.
Speaker 5: Waiting until she reached the Supreme Court, debating, this is the price they make you pay for freedom makes a taste even swat when you really be one find day free. We will when they try to take ar humanity. Remember this Humastos fine for etecting all human rights is the only thing as well.
Speaker 9: She won.
Speaker 1: Me, She made him, made him.
Speaker 5: One bind day free. We will not one day try to take humanity ember.
Speaker 14: This is hi efecting.
Speaker 7: All right, is the only thing.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after a few words for the grown ups. All right, what a great song. It's a lot better than the hold music.
Speaker 6: You're still on hold?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why I've been holding the phone and gets my ear the whole time.
Speaker 6: Oh, I thought you just forgot how to put things down.
Speaker 1: That makes more sense, though. I'm okay with this though. If I've learned anything from today, it's that even small, simple actions can bring about great change. I'm responsible for this secret Lab, and if the only thing I need to do to prevent it from being swarmed by ever growing, probably bloodthirsty sandflies is to stay on the line, then I'll just have to stay on the line for as long as it it's ringing, it's ringing. Oh, thank goodness, I think I'm being connected.
Speaker 7: Message may be recorded for quality assurance purposes.
Speaker 9: Hello, you've reached customer service.
Speaker 1: To whom am I speaking, Niminy.
Speaker 10: Let me just pull up your account.
Speaker 7: Okay, I see you right here.
Speaker 1: How can I help you today, Niminy? I got a letter that said I need to prove that I live in the Secret Lab, do you yes? Okay, let me just update that in the system. Okay, Oh, look at that.
Speaker 14: It was already in there.
Speaker 11: Someone must have forgotten to relink the spreadsheet to the database.
Speaker 7: Guilty.
Speaker 3: I guess you didn't need to call in today after all.
Speaker 1: Great, so you won't shut off our bugspray. Oh you're the lab with the sand flies.
Speaker 6: We've actually got a pool going on. How long you can hold them off?
Speaker 9: But I can transfer you over to the bugs department if you want to.
Speaker 7: Speak to them.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no no, we're fine. Just keep the bug spray off, no problem.
Speaker 7: I'm glad I was.
Speaker 6: Able to help you out today.
Speaker 3: By the way, if you wouldn't mind taking a short survey to rate your experience.
Speaker 1: Whew, I'm glad that's finally over with listeners. What you just heard was a maleman from the nineteen forties, rush in here and smash my phone. He's out there somewhere. But the important thing to note is that I neeminy am not at fault. Okay, that's it for today's season finale, listeners. I can't thank you enough for tuning in to this season of historical records. Combining history and hip hop has always been my dream, So thank you for being brave enough to witness my experiment. I learned about so many extraordinary luminaries, and yet it's just the tip of the Iceberg. There are so many more. Maybe you can even find some of your own and write a song about them. Because remember, to make history, you gotta make some noise. Niminy Out.
Speaker 10: Historical Records is produced in partnership with Story Pirate Studios, Questlove's two one five Entertainment John Glickman and iHeart Podcasts Executive produced by Emir Questlove Thompson, John Glickman, Lee Overtree and Benjamin Salga. Executive produced for iHeart Podcasts by Noel Brown. Producers for Story Pirate Studios are Isabella Riccio, Sam Bear, Eric Gerson, Andrew Miller, Lee Overtree, Peter McNerney and niminy Ware. Producers for two one five are Sean g Brittany Benjamin and Zara Zolman. Hosted by niminy Ware. Our head writer is Duke Doyle. Our historians are Gabe Pacheco and Lee Polus. Music supervision for two one five by Stroe Elliott. Scoring and music supervision for Story Pirate Studios by Eric Gerson. Sound design and mixing by Sam Bear at the Relic Room in New York City. Additional recording by Brett Tuban. Song mastering by Josh Han theme song by Dan Foster and Eric Gerson and produced by Eric Erson. Production coordination by Isabel Riccio, Production management by Maggie Lee. The line producer for Story Pired Studios is Glynnis Brault. Pr for Story Pired Studios is provided by Naomi Shaw. Episode artwork by Camilla Franklin. This episode was written by Minswe Karami. The song mitsuya Endo was written by Dan Foster, produced by Micah James and associate produced and vocal directed by Eric Gerson. Special guest Anna Suzuki. This episode features performances by Chris Ferry, Caroline Lux, Peter McNerney, Lee Overtree, and Lee Polas