Speaker 1: I was just going to very quickly show you that I haven't. I've been trying. I've had to flip a coin for my last podcast, and I've been too late to actually get a coin, so I've been flipping Rider Strong season five. Uh oh, what just say and I'll be like Robbie.
Speaker 2: Like hair or tails, flip it in the air. Yeah, why are you flipping a coin?
Speaker 1: Because we're doing the word at the end of the contest, so we're picking our finalists next week?
Speaker 2: Are you're choosing by coin? Flip? No? Wait, is it revealed here? Did we just except it was the first one?
Speaker 1: The first one that comes in gets to go first, but then the subsequent rounds we flip a coin, so it's just chance who gets to go first and who gets to go second?
Speaker 2: Got it? So someone gets assigned, right or strong face?
Speaker 1: Well that's yes, well exactly, I'll say. It's like, you know, x Y gets hair and z X gets this. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I picked the x Y DVDs and CDs really impractical, Like, don't they seem weird? Now? I still buy them. I still buy them all the time. It seems so weird to me that we like invented these discs that are like super fragile, and can you so easily get scratched and scratch them? Don't? Yeah, I know, and it's.
Speaker 1: Still better than VHS tapes. You'd watch it like times and then all of a sudden it was like, why can I not see the rest of meatballs?
Speaker 2: So yeah, I can't. I mean, it is so depressing to me to think about how many great films I encountered on VHS, like and that's how I knew them. Yeah, do you know? I actually watched Back to the Future scrambled for years, oh, listening just to the audio, because you know, if you recorded a VHS, if it was protected, it would what you would get was is a scrambled version of the movie. So the audio would be perfectly fine, but the visuals would be all crazy. And what my dad used to do is rent videos from the video store, and then if we really liked it, he would make a copy. But he wouldn't choo the copy. He would just make a copy because had two VCRs, and then we'd get stuck with scrambled from before. It was Back to the Future so much that I watched it scrambled over and over and to this day, I can like close my eyes and I can quote any line and all the sound design of Back to the Future, but the visuals are still kind.
Speaker 3: Of fresh to the Oh my gosh, we get Blu rays delivered to the house.
Speaker 2: We took multiple times a week.
Speaker 3: Wow, and I and I go, oh great, I'm so glad we have more of these, and he don't worry, I'm just replacing them. Jensen has a whole argument for it about like how.
Speaker 4: Hi everyone, Hi everyone, there was a bad signal that went up. It's a shadeky and a Blu ray outside my house, So I assume you need me on the show, but yeah, please. The reason is is that when we depend on these streaming services, you are going to see films from the seventies and eighties absolutely disappear into Spanish. When Netflix just recently stopped their DVD service, which if you can't believe, they did it three months ago, but they finally stopped the DVD mailing service, three to like ten percent of the movies that they were shipping out from the seventies or on the streaming service, we are going to lose movies completely. And don't even get me started about what Disney did to French Connection. And anyway, if you ever need to have a movie and we're all in the apocalypse, I'll be here, all.
Speaker 3: Right, does writer or know what they did to French Connection.
Speaker 4: They removed racial slurs from French Connection. And the reason is in the movie it's a racist saying it, it's a bad character saying it. They removed it, which also will mean now the Criterion channel also has it removed, and also anytime it's screened on publicly at all, it will also be removed.
Speaker 1: Who made that choice, Disney is I mean, yeah, Disney. It also now takes place in Spain and there is no connection. Yeah, unbelievable. CRAZI also French anymore, it's just the Freedom connection.
Speaker 2: I remember when there was a there was like a premium uh uh service. I forget what it was, but it was like it had all the Criterion movies before Criterion had its own channel. Do you remember this one? And then it went it went away and it was like, oh, suddenly I couldn't access all these movies. And then luckily Criterion came along, which is still my favorite.
Speaker 4: There's movie movies really good. There's to be does really well. There's someone that have really you know, like to be was the only place you could watch Jaws streaming for a long time. Yeah, it's just it's gonna be really strange. I still buy books.
Speaker 2: I still have like walls and walls books and boxes of books, and that's ridiculous. At this it's it's wonderful. I think it's wonderful too, but I have to move them, like we're redoing the floors in my house and like we are, like it's a huge pain to have to re all these books and like I never have enough bookshelves. I have piles in them, and it's like, oh my gosh. And so that's why I don't buy DVDs, because I just don't want to have to do. But I totally agree in theory like we should. I want physical ca copies of We'll see what we'll see.
Speaker 4: If Danielle is complaining when you know, in twenty years there's a line outside of our house to watch SERPENTO.
Speaker 3: We're going to be coming direct now, Oh yeah, I definitely won't be complaining. Then I'll think that's wonderful. I can't wait for that to happen.
Speaker 2: We'll take it to the media forever, guys. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, yeah yeah. Now they're changing everything. In the last version of Jaws, I saw, the shark was just misunderstood. So it's the whole thing is just weird what they're doing nowadays, it really.
Speaker 2: Is misunderstood shark looking for blood and all their own places actly. Welcome to Pod meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm Righter Strong, and I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 3: So we are taking a small Boy Meets World recap break for the next two weeks as we get ready for season three, and we've decided to focus on two movies we've mentioned this season, and we are starting with watching a movie from Ryder's resume. We all have work and movies and Koushlin commercials we never want to see again. And luckily, Ryder has decided to volunteer himself Hunger Game style.
Speaker 2: This name volunteers tribute.
Speaker 3: YEP Summertime Switch, which we would love for you to watch. You can see it for free on YouTube just search for Summertime Switch full movie. It was a TV movie for ABC released October eighth, nineteen ninety four. Recently, the trailer went a little viral online people seem to be very nostalgic for it.
Speaker 2: Do you remember how you ended up in this movie? I got offered this part. This was so this was between seasons one and two and Will this happened to you too? You got offered Yeah, Disney moviees. So they were it was ABC. It was an ABC movie of the week. And what they would like to do, I guess, was take actors who were on TV shows on ABC shows and you know, build a movie around them or have them apart and exist in the movie. And so this this, I was just an offer and it was like, oh yeah, three I think was three weeks in Jacksonville, Florida. So I went off and did it, and then they offered me another movie the next year, and I turned them down and never never heard from them again. Right, Simmtimes Switched too? Yes, No, I forget what the other one was, but I just you know, I didn't really have a great time on Summertime Switch, which we'll talk about. I've already mentioned a little bit on this, and I'm not sure. I mean, I probably would have done another movie if if it's schedule had worked out, So I'm not exactly sure why I turned it down, but I never heard from ABC Movie of the Weeks again, so well it makes me feel about I don't think I ever heard from them. I'm pretty sure yet what you weren't even a regular on Boy No.
Speaker 3: But also even all the years that I was on Boy Meets World, they used to boy boys were the stars of movies back then.
Speaker 2: It was it was very male heavy. It wasn't until that I heard studio execs say, which is that boys can identify with young boys, and girls can identify with young boys. But boys can identify with young girls. So therefore to get a bigger audience, you always which is just absurd.
Speaker 3: Well, it was also like girls will watch because they have a crush on the guy, and the guy will watch because it's an aspirational guy, like it's a guy he wants to be like, so yeah, I know it.
Speaker 2: Was sort of cool because think about My Girl or Man in the Moon, like these are great movie. My Girl is a huge hit. So it totally was like, you know, this this rule wasn't true most of the time, but it was still a rule.
Speaker 1: Then, well, they're also trying to the networks are trying to do something that they were holding on too from the eighties, which were my favorite things in the world, where they would take all of their talent and put them in one after school specialer movie. So, you know, like a high School USA was Michael J. Fox and Todd Bridges and it was all these TV actors that came together to do a high school movie. There was another one, Poison Ivy Michael J. Fox and Nancy McKee. Yeah, so this was like a thing. This is what that they used to do, and this was the death throes of it where it was like, we're still going to try to take our talent and put him in I still think it's a great idea. I still think, you know, these streaming services should take all their biggest talent and do one movie with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's a fun idea.
Speaker 1: It'd be is so great, but they just they don't do that any especially if it's in the service of comedy, you know what I mean. If you could take like a bunch of good comic actors on the Netflix slate for instance, and do like a movie.
Speaker 3: Well, basically, it's the idea we've been talking about about rebooting a cast. It's it was basically, but instead of it in that case, it's not a reboot, it's just putting it in something else at the same time.
Speaker 2: From different TV shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was great and it was They were some of my favorite movies growing up as a kid, So yeah, I mean you I think they were trying to do that with these.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, the brief synopsis is that a spoiled rich boy and a slick talking stream kid who happened to have the same name find their lives reversed for the Summer, which is also early similar to the movie Jensen and I made for two Boy.
Speaker 2: When I was watching this, I was like, this.
Speaker 3: Is very this is very without having even seen Summertimes, which it was inspirational. So it was directed by Alan Metter Is that how you say his name? Alan Mehtter, who had directed nineteen eighty five's Girls Just Want to Have Fun with Sarah Jessica Parker. Yeah, and the great Rodney Dangerfield comedy Back to School.
Speaker 2: Oh, great movie.
Speaker 3: He would also later helm the Olsen twin movies Billboard Dad and Passport to Paris.
Speaker 2: He did Billboard Dad. Yes, I'm surprised, Okay. It was written by Patrick J.
Speaker 3: Clifton, who had previously had the story credit on Polly Shore's Son in Law, and it stars Jason Weaver, who had played Michael Jackson in the very popular Jackson Family mini series To Get This, and was also the singing voice of Simba in Lion King Awesome. Some of his other impressive credits, he was a lead on Smart Guy, He was in the movie drum line The Cohen Brothers Lady Killers, and he was a voice on the short lived cartoon The Lebrons. Writer, what do you remember about Jason?
Speaker 2: So talented, such a good guy. You know, he didn't actually work together that much so because we were on opposite storylines, But Jason was such a good cool guy. He he was I don't think he was that much older than me, but he was older than me, you know, Like he was so much more mature. He was so much cooler than me. And he just he just knew what he was doing. Like I was such a clueless, like fresh faced actor, like I don't know any but he just he he was such more like he was just more mature. He had lived life more so he came across like an adult to me. And then to watch it now and see like how good he is in the movie I'm like, wow, you know, because I have never seen the movie. I didn't obviously, i'd never seen any of his scenes. And he has like all this really good emotional stuff and he's amazing. And then of course he can sing and I can dance. Yeah. But I remember talking to him about Michael Jackson because he had met him doing you know, because he had played young Michael Jackson. And he told me about Michael Jackson's different disguises. He different like and I forget what he had, Like one disguise that that that he would he would show up on set like I think, what was it? An old lady? No, it was like a Middle Eastern like Saudi Arabian prince outfit or whatever, so he could wear a full like face covering and like so basically everyone would think it's like so some rich Middle Eastern you know prince is here, and it's like, no, no, it's actually Michael Jackson.
Speaker 3: I do that when I go to Target four times in the day and I don't want them to know that I'm back.
Speaker 1: I can I can vouch for that. I think I've seen her there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, was awesome, But yeah, I didn't I didn actually work with him that much that I didn't get to work with any of those guys I did hang out with. I played magic with David and Patrick, but no, mostly hung out with the guys in the prison camp.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, other stars beyond our Pale Rider a strong here, Richard Mole known as Bull on night Court. He there's a gosh, I'm just realizing Salay Moon Fry was in this movie. I did not recognize her. I didn't have first either, and then I was like, that's so lay. She's like a small part. But I do remember her very well too, because this was I think the only time I met her, and of course I had grown up like in love.
Speaker 2: With Punky Brewster. I just thought she was like the coolest kid ever, and so I definitely remember meeting her and just she was the nicest person. I remember hanging out with her. She was uh. And then like, I didn't remember this, but my mom when I talked when I when you know, she put out that documentary like a couple years ago. It was like all this footage that she had taken and I had watched it and I brought it up to my mom and she was like, yeah, don't you remember she always had a camera, like even back on this set, okay, because she knew. My mom was like she always had like the latest coolest VHS camera and was always filming and documenting everything. I was like, I didn't remember that, but my mom remembered it. It was like, that's so funny, and so that's all that footage has become her documentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so okay, Salain Moon Fry a gay punky brewster. Barry Williams aka Greg Brady is a Grady was your dad? That's awesome?
Speaker 2: Wow, didn't know that? Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And our pal Patrick Richard Mall.
Speaker 2: I don't think I was like, oh this guy, but I don't think I ever met him by Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and our pal Patrick Renna from the Sandlot and TikTok Stardom. But most interestingly, Isaac Lidski plays bad boy Numbers Numbers. He was also Weasel and Saved by the Bell the New Class. But those roles are literally the least cool thing about him, right, or tell me if you know any of this, you should all I know?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: A year before Summertime Switch, he was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa, a retinal degenerative disease that leads to progressive site loss and blindness. He would then go on to graduate from Harvard with a law degree, accomplished while losing his eyesight completely when he was like nineteen.
Speaker 2: He started at Columbia because I remember he moved. He moved to New York right after for this movie. Started at Columbia he was only like fifteen or sixteen, and then transferred to Harvard and graduated at nineteen, like with honors, unbelievable in mathematics or computer science and stuff.
Speaker 3: He then founded an internet startup company called ru four dot com and sold it for two hundred and thirty million dollars. Then became Supreme Court Justice Sandrady O'Connor's law clerk, the first blind person to ever hold the position, and now runs a concrete company in Orlando that makes seventy million dollars in revenue.
Speaker 2: Wow. In a Ted Talks, there's a Ted Talks of him. I watched, I watched this morning. I lost touch with Isaac. I haven't seen him so the last time I saw him was right when he was doing the internet company in New York. Because I went to Columbia, so I was living in New York and he was back from Harvard doing this this business and he came over and we hung out and that was so that was two thousand and one. Two thousand and two was probably the last time I saw him. Such a good guy. I mean, he was like my friend on the set. We just like fully blind. Yeah, I guess so now, although like when watching his ted Talks, he presents as if he's seen like very like he he manages incredibly And that's what his Ted Talks is all about, is how you create your own reality. And he wrote a book about it, so like basically talks about how we think of seeing as a passive experience, but it's really something our brain is actively doing constantly and you can overcome like a lack of scene. It's it's amazing. He's he's yeah, he was. He was like just such a genius. His parents were. His mom was the nicest. His mom was from Brazil and his dad was a big time lawyer at the time. He was prosecuting the case against tobacco companies. Remember in the nineties, all those lawsuits. His dad was like one of the main lawyers prosecuting that. Just the coolest people ever, like and Isaac, like we just immediately bonded and like, yeah, he was coming off staved by the Bell. He was already I think he was already going to New York for school. He was just like, yeah, well, I mean it's an actual certified genius.
Speaker 1: It sounds like I mean, people use that word a lot, but it sounds like he's actually a genius. Ye. So yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, writer, we're going to have you chime in with memories you have throughout the recap. Obviously, but overall you said this was not you didn't have a great experience filming this movie. Could you give us like a brief little reason why run down?
Speaker 2: Well, watching it again, I got a lot more positive memories and like like just remembering Isaac and hanging out with Patrick and all those guys, like there was there was, It was a good experience. I think it goes back to me just being love sick teenager. I was, you know, I had done the season of Boy Meets World. I was I was being taken away from home. I just remember missing my girlfriend, the one with the white rose that I would give her, and so I like, like what I remember like distinctly is like coming home after this and just being so happy, like going to Marine's house and being like, I'm back, my life can start again. Like right at fourteen, I was so madly in love and this was you know, so I was just like I was just tortured in some weird way. And then, like I think I mentioned, I didn't feel like I was good and I had a like combative relationship with the director. He kept wanting me to be really funny and over the top, which is totally understandable, and watching the movie you can just see me pushing and like I'm so uncomfortable. Second half of the movie, I was like, oh, there's writer. Yeah, like once I dropped the whole like rich kid character stuff they're allowed to act and didn't know how to be a character. Like all I could do was like be myself as as a young actor at that point, and so like when I'm just kind of there and being the coach or whatever it is in the second half of the movie, I was like, oh, well that's you're okay, right, Yeah, that whole first half is so painful to watch, and it was really painful to go through, and it was hot. It was Jacksonville Florida and like July, and I just remember always being like sweaty and buggy and hot.
Speaker 3: Oh all right, well, I thought we could start with a featured review on IMDb. Yes, yes, it says I saw this movie the day before school let out a couple of years back.
Speaker 2: I didn't even see the ending. The guy who played the delinquent wasn't very believable, but the rich kid was worse.
Speaker 3: Call this movie a guilty pleasure or late for dinner anything except good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could go with that. I mean, I actually thought the script was better than I remember, and I was like, this, did you how did you remember it? Because I still don't know who I'm rooting for. I still don't care.
Speaker 3: My biggest issue is that it feels like there is an ending, or at least the start of an ending, at fifty minutes in or something, and then no one acknowledges that.
Speaker 2: No, you mean when we confront each other at the dance.
Speaker 3: Yes, and there's a shot where we go to the audience, like a reaction shot of the audience, and then and the audience takes it in, and then everyone just never mentions that again.
Speaker 1: And then you're kind of friends with the guy who just tried to turn you in.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, it took its weird. Okay, let's jump into it. Let's jump into our recount. So we open with the title card and lead actor Jason Weaver singing the movie's theme song, though that's not really mentioned or anything. It's very nineties soul for real and Tevin Campbell sounding. He also dresses like Tevin Campbell for the rest of the movie. It's pretty great. Oh, he's amazing. But beyond his music, we see Weaver playing fast. Freddy Egan now knock on an old lady's door and he's dressed as a jamboree scout. He tells this frail grandma that he's collecting money for the Homeless Society, and she's quick to want to donate. Freddie looks a little nervous when she notices that his uniform is very tight, and there was another opportunity I thought for a shot where we could see that the uniform looks very tight, because the only time we saw him was from very far away. Is he was skipping along singing the song, so we don't really see that his uniform looks tight, but she mentions it and he plays it off very nicely, and she gives him her dead husband's lucky gold coin for charity.
Speaker 2: Feels like what, I.
Speaker 3: Know what, maybe like some cold hard cash would have been a cash.
Speaker 1: But she donates an old gold coin, which was the most thing her husband good silver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of things before that.
Speaker 1: And so I my sence, I knew nothing of this movie. I knew nothing of this movie going in. I thought, oh, they're doing Magic Ticket from you know, the the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. Like this coin is going to stretch them somehow, right, this is gonna okay, this is gonna watch look at look at this for because this is a minute nothing nothing. It was just like, oh, she's oh no, she's just an old lady giving away a coin. This means nothing in the long run in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: We'll go straight at the ending of the movie breaks where you get like, what, it's so weird.
Speaker 3: So just as she gives him the coin, she says, there's a little bit there may be a little bit of luck in it. And then a van pulls up with the other boy scouts. One is down to his boxer shorts. He points out fast Freddy as the kid who took his clothes, and it becomes a chase. Freddy sprints off through a neighbor's yard all of Ferris Bueller, even snatching a hot dog from a man's lips, causing him to basically fall backwards in a pool, even though he's not pushed it.
Speaker 2: All by Freddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, image, and he just falls back into the pool and there we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was a kid and my brother and I would make movies. We always had to have somebody fall into the pool. That was like that was like production value, you know that, of course, especially if we were like in makeup and but it was always the most fun part was being able to go into the pool with our clothes on. Right, right, we're getting away with something. But yeah, always always a big fight lands in the pool. Somebody has to fall on the pool. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Eventually the boy scouts catch up and call the cops. We then find ourselves in a judge's quarters. Fast Freddy is accompanied by a police officer and the furious judge appoints him to the supervisory care of juvenile detention camp, where he will work and he will have no fun at all. And right before the scene ends, Freddy gives a hilarious line read trying to give the judge breath mintce. He pulls out mints and says, uh, sir, hook it up. You know what I'm saying, because you're stepping on U and his way. It's so good, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: He feels like improv. I feel like this is jasoning and it's like one of the most natural lines in the whole movie. And yeah, the best laugh.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, I do think they les, Yeah, I think I think they let him improv a few times, because another time he improvs, he lets us know he has skills about seventeen times.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I thought that was not in the script, right.
Speaker 1: He hit every nineties rope with the kind of I got skills and you go, And it was just like one snap, wasn't it was sash Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then here's our boy Ryder Strong.
Speaker 3: We are placed smack dab in a high school gym for a team's scrimmage and another Freddie Egan. This one Frederick Egan, the third played by Boy meets World's Rider Strong, is on the free throw line playing sports ball.
Speaker 2: Writer Were you nervous to play sports ball? In this movie. I don't think I was. I think I was so blueless. I was just like, yeah, I could do this. Hey, just completely. I mean I one of my favorite movies growing up was teen Wolf Great, so I can totally see myself being like, well, I could do that. Even though I never played basketball in my life, I was so we played.
Speaker 1: First year we played that, we would play with the home I plue my kids. We played football and basketball, and then I remember seeing You're sitting there on the foul line and you make the first shot, which is just a straight through and I was like, that's Rider actually trying to make the free throw.
Speaker 2: Myself, like Riders trying to make that shot. It's such a clear example of like when you're a kid, like before, before you're a teenager, you just think you're good at everything, like whatever your parents signed you up for. So like I did karate, I took piano, and like acting was the same way, because like, oh I act, I also could play basketball. I played soccer, and then, like you know, you realize by the time you're like thirteen, you usually realize like I'm not I'm not really.
Speaker 5: Good stuff, and you had that realization yet, So I think I just went in fully like dide and then during the course of this movie realized I couldnt play basketball.
Speaker 2: I still don't know what is a double dribble. So there's there's two types of double dribble. Okay.
Speaker 1: There's double double dribbling is you dribble, stop and then dribble again, okay, And there's the double dribble where you dribble the ball with both hands.
Speaker 2: That's also my problem either. I remember Jason calling me out while we're while we're shooting the scenes in the basketball scenes, and he would just be like, double dribble double. I was like, I don't know what you're saying. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm just here. Can we please make this movie? Oh my god, so embarrassing calling me out while player I tell you, this movie was a crash course and and me learning about sports, basketball, sportsball.
Speaker 3: This privileged Frederick is obviously bullied by the rest of the kids on the team, and he misses both free throws.
Speaker 2: Miserably losing the scrimmage.
Speaker 3: One teammate uh says next year they might let girls in the school and then they can trade Fairy for another player.
Speaker 2: So fair girls.
Speaker 3: Girls are bad. I guess by the way I did not understand. Fairy took me six times. I'm not sure that kid was miked. I thought he said ready.
Speaker 1: I thought, say Freddy too, is it very like a like a Are you sure it's very very No.
Speaker 2: I'm absolutely not.
Speaker 3: I couldn't arn, wasn't was pretty sure. No, absolutely not sure. I will not die on this hill. He said, Freddy, I don't care. It's not fully Freddy. It's it's not fully Fairy. I think the writer was miked and he was just hoping his mic was picking it up.
Speaker 2: And that's it possible. You say, you say, you say my character is bullied, but I come across more like the bully.
Speaker 3: You're the biggest bully. But you you start on the line you're saying, listen, I was not treated wise. So you're trying to make you're trying to imply that they were trying to set up that you're you don't fit in anywhere.
Speaker 2: And I think had I been a better actor, there's a version of this character that you would have had more sympathy for, you know, like you would have been like, oh, this kid is you know, teased and made fun of or you know, done that with a taking. You are so rude to your chauffeur.
Speaker 3: That's the hard that's the part to me that like once once you were that cruel to him. I was like, I hope this character falls in a bit of mud and gets little on fire.
Speaker 2: Okay, want to come out. But I was thinking about this because because there is a way to play rich snob that is fun and funny. Think about like the way Bill Murray is able to like always say the meanest thing and you're still kind of on his side because he's clever, or he's like he's not pushing.
Speaker 3: The best example is how much could a banana cost ten dollars?
Speaker 2: That's clueless, rich person, out of touch risk. Rich person can be very funny. Yes, your can be funny. I'm just disgusted me being rude. That was wider. If I had if my if I could have had the slightest sense of irony, just so the slight little tings that like I think I'm better than these people. This is not you.
Speaker 3: He's in cat food out of an airport or whatever you say.
Speaker 2: Is that a career choice? It is written for you to be the word despicable child. Now there's no, there's no You are a child.
Speaker 3: So could it be played that you are despicable because of the very poor treatment you have been given my family? And that's where the sympathy comes from. The sympathy comes from this child doesn't know better because he's he's been abandoned and has The.
Speaker 2: Only real moment in the entire first fifty minutes of my right acting in this movie is when I say, you know, when I turn off the tape and I say thanks Toad or whatever. I was like, that's a real emotion. That's a real moment, that's a real thing.
Speaker 1: It should have been what you what you do with something like this, which is done in these movies, is what you do is you're actually very nice to the chauffeur and he's actually very nice to you because it's the only adult in your entire life you've actually grown up with. And that's how you do It's like, that kind of thing is how you do it. Like he's apologizing your dad's not here. My god, I've got to tell you again that your dad's not here. Like that's how you do it, as opposed to just being an ass the whole time. Yeah, but Freddy, the other Freddy, though. I also the way they started him. They start him with robbing from the old Lady robbing. I have no sympathy for any of these characters at this point. None I care about neither of these kids. I hope they are journey. You want to see some sort of like I get even right off the bat kind of like. And they try. That's the thing is they realized that too. That's why they tried to do it. It just didn't work. So it was like they they they got like, we need to you know, some sort of a save the cat. They ran the cat over and then just spit on the carcass and they're like, here's our kids.
Speaker 3: Well, as we mentioned, it's here Frederick learns that his father played by Barry Williams, recorded a VHS message for him and is not there to pick him up. His dad explains he's too busy with work. He's building a new stadium, and Frederick will be spending a month at the Enclave Posh summer camp that he attended as a child and has how's the children of Presidents and royalty. He promises an experience of a lifetime, but it's clear Frederick has been ignored by his father a lot and gets a little teary eyed here and he throws the VHS tape out the window.
Speaker 2: Can we talk very quickly about Barry Williams?
Speaker 1: Awesome, I'm busy paper acting, m because he just goes, is this thing?
Speaker 2: Is this thing off? Okay, turn it off? I've got a paper here, pacting. It's packeding.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: I was weird by the fact that we weren't driving. No, like, we're just sitting parking, Like the Shu gets.
Speaker 3: In the car and you couldn't you couldn't afford to move process trailer or whatever. So writer, did did Mincus? Did Lee or Mincus play into your performance of this character at all?
Speaker 2: No? I never even thought about it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was I was thinking there was a moment when you have that when we first see you with the sweater tied around your shoulders, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, Oh, that's such a that's such a Mincus look.
Speaker 3: And Jensen was then the one who goes, yeah, well, it was between season one and two, so he had just come off of working with Lee.
Speaker 2: I wonder if there was any.
Speaker 3: Sort of awareness awareness or minus vibe that you picked up on it.
Speaker 2: All, not not that I remember, I mean if any I mean that's the thing, like, it would have been nice if if Freddy were fred Egan, Frederick were smart, like you know, or Liker, and they try and do the smart Yeah, yeah, you're supposed to be smart. It's so bad like yeah, and in fact, like I used Neanderthal twice, it's like yeah, it's like they only had so much room in their thesaurus where they were right whoever.
Speaker 1: And not to bring it back to mash, but they tried to make you Charles Winchester essentially is what they were trying to do. This big kind of like yeah, I mean that's exactly what they were trying.
Speaker 2: It would have been so much better if if I had one redeemed something something something would have been nice. So far, I haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 3: So then the limo backs into a different parking lot, which I thought was a real interesting choice to have the most seen moving in reverse. Yeah, and it is a very busy parking lot intersection where many buses are parked to take kids to their respective summer camps.
Speaker 2: We see the paddy wagon bus.
Speaker 3: For the juvenile center, and it is a very strict mustached sergeant Waldron. He is waiting for and ready to punish this wise guy Freddy Egan, who is late. We see Writer all prepped out now he's got a sweater around his neck, pastel polo and shorts loafers with his luggage and golf bag. He finally ditches his driver and there's a funny physical moment of Writer trying to lift his bag. And I thought it was really good. Did they actually make the bag super heavy for you?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. It looked like they did. It looked like the bottom was. I just love that they've like overly saddled me with rich kid. Yeah, it's like not only the sweater vest but also the racket in Yep, yes, I love it.
Speaker 1: I just also love that prison bus is next to rich guy bus, like they're both parked right next to each other and they go to the same like.
Speaker 3: Well, it plays into the side plotholes later on when knowing like what it is actually mentioned.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll get into it.
Speaker 3: We're about to enter plot hole central, which is really really fun for me. We now see fast Freddy also in the parking lot, being led around by an officer. They are told by dispatcher information again, another big sign on the table side.
Speaker 1: The sign budget of this film was crazy.
Speaker 2: As big sign behindhand too.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah okay, So after looking his name up, Freddie Egan will be going on Bus seven, which has not yet arrived. The officer explains he's in a rush, and he pays off the Dufus worker to watch his little prisoner, and he handcuffs fast Freddy to a nearby van.
Speaker 2: Freddie, hand can you say that again? Slower? He handcuffs a kid to a V.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm not sure this pickpocket needs to be handcuffed.
Speaker 2: Hand cuff a van? Yeah, I love the guy's like, is he dangerous?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a valid question to ask. Left with some kid.
Speaker 1: Here's twenty dollars, take care of this prisoner. I'm a handcuffing to a van.
Speaker 2: I've gotta go.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: So Freddy quick quickly picklocks his handcuffs, and we hear an announcement asking for Freddie Egan to report to bus one immediately, And so we see Frederick Egan, the third pompous little rider, walk.
Speaker 2: Right up to the sergeant and the prisoner. Bus number one.
Speaker 3: He checks in as Frederick Egan, the third, and even though the cop is confused, his name is on the list, so it must be him. Frederick is grossed out by the transportation and thinks it's a mistake, but he's dragged on by the cop and that's that.
Speaker 2: That's it, no further questions.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 2: We're not checking anything.
Speaker 3: We're not checking anything else. This is totally fine. He flips his lucky coin. I mean, the cops, I guess, just did not take this from him, which no sense at all. They would definitely have confiscated that. He's also the world's greatest lock pick. I know, police cuffs.
Speaker 2: It's like him and Houdini. Right, I'm gonna get out of a street jacket. I think he reached a paper clip he couldn't reach he first he didn't reach it at all, and then he had it, had it, and it made no sense, and it was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Well, when he gets to bus seven, he hilariously starts to dance his way on, but he is.
Speaker 2: Stopped by a snotty little bus leader, Peggy. That's so that took a while to like. Three seats has a single card and the credit it's a bigger part than I you know, what.
Speaker 3: I guess it's just because she had different hair color that we just don't recognize her.
Speaker 1: It must be yeah, because she was on screen for a good five minutes before I was like, wait.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's so late.
Speaker 3: I never realized. Oh really, okay, I forgot I remember when the movie started. I was like, oh, Sleigh moon Fries in this, and then watched the whole movie and never then wondered where Sleigh was, but never saw.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I'm only realizing now that that's who that was.
Speaker 3: He says, I knew this was too good to be true and assumes the position. She's confused. He says he's Fred Egan and he was told to come to bus seven. She doesn't believe that. Yeah right, And I'm Wilma Flynstone, she says. Peggy, flanked by butlers in tuxes behind her, looks at her list and says, wow, there is his name, Frederick Egan, and it has seven dollars signs next to it, the symbols you see when you pick a restaurant and you go, well, how much is this restaurant gonna set me back? And they have somewhere between one and five dollars signs Frederick Eagan is seven of.
Speaker 2: Them seven, seven, and then in like two scenes we find out his dad's worth how much billion dollars? Seven? So the dollar signs represent a billion.
Speaker 1: Each one, Yeah, and this is the ninetiest han billion dollars is a that's.
Speaker 2: A find out. You ten in the world, which is I guess would have been true? It's seven if you were.
Speaker 1: I think, I don't know a lot of the Middle East shakes by that point. I think we're like thirty forty fifty billion with all the oil money. Wasn't there?
Speaker 2: I think again, I don't know Gates right, yeah, would have already made money. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, well, she changes her tune and says she didn't expect him to be so. She loves his outfit and his gangster chic is the newest rave. He uncomfortably takes the bus and when he realizes he's going to the enclave, he jumps right into character. He tells his new crush that he's met her before, maybe in Paris or Rome. She isn't hearing it, though, and tells him to get lost. Freddy yells out, you better recognize I'm fast, Freddy, and this gets the attention of two nearby kids, Patrick Renna aka Modem and Todd Tom.
Speaker 1: Todd, by the way, looks exactly like carry Elways.
Speaker 2: Did you did you ever know David? No, this is David tom So his sister was brother Okay, exactly. So Nicole was on the nanny I guess at this time, but she was she was working all the time, and then David used to work all the time. He and I I got really I really wanted this part in this movie called Swing Kids. Do you guys remember, Yeah, it was one of the hottest scripts. It was such a cool script, and and I really wanted to I think I got close. I don't know. I have from whatever I have, And he got the part. He's amazing and he's he's it's like the younger brother. It's a small part, but it's it's a It was a cool movie at the time, and he was David was such a good actor. I have no idea what he's doing now. And but he used to also be a drummer in a band. So we spent a lot of time talking music and hanging out during this during this movie. But I also knew him back in La We had done acting classes together at the Young Actors Space and he was so good. But man, he looks like carry always like man, he looks like well, his hair is like that, her face like slicky. Oh my god. And man, Patrick Renna is so good in this movie.
Speaker 1: He's psychopath is he's like literally a sociopath in this movie. He doesn't smile, he doesn't do it. It's like he kills puppies to make it so dark dark.
Speaker 2: It's a choice, and it's a.
Speaker 1: Little creepy with Freddy and and the young woman. It's I know where it's it's in time, but it's I mean, they really pushed it far with him.
Speaker 2: Well we also can we also talk about the pre pre Sean and angela like necessity for them to be of the same race. Like really, like the only other black person in this movie is the one girl, and that's who you're going to zero in. It's just like it's so clear that that was how casting went right, Like that's how people thought the black people on the bus when he went in. The characters right, And if you're going to have a love interest for this character, then she has to be black. I mean that was just sort of like the rule of you know cast him back then, never happened today.
Speaker 3: He doesn't need to know anything about who she is as a person at all. He sees her and that's it. She's she's attractive, and that's all he needs to know about her period, And she is not interested in him until she gets to know whether or not he's a good person. So the guy has to be a well developed character in order to impress the woman.
Speaker 2: But for him, that's it. She's enough.
Speaker 3: We don't even need to learn anything else about her.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 3: Next we see prisoner bus arrive at their grounds. One prisoner has a very expensive warrant vintage T shirt on that I would get.
Speaker 2: I would lose a limb for Right now, you're recognizing T shirts. I love that.
Speaker 1: I also love how any time we're in the prison yard or in the car, it's always the same.
Speaker 2: Wow, wow every step of the way. It's great. I actually I have a memory that came to me watching the movie last night from this bus scene we had. It's an Isaac memory. So we were on the bus and like the extras were like local Floridians, some of them tough looking guys. And this guy add a tattoo that just was war on his arm, and Isaac, being like friendly, guy was like, what what's up with with war? Like would you just you're like war? What's going on? And the guy was like, I can't talk about I'll tell you later. I'll tell you later. And Isaac was like okay. And then when they got off the bus after we shot the scene, he was like it stands for White Area and Resistance, and Isaac so brave and just goes, well, I'm Jewish. Is that gonna be a problem. And the guy just like got super insecure and super weirded out and mumbled and like ran away. Wow yeah intense right, oh my gosh, tattoo White airan resistance. Yeah, but I just love that Isaac would just completely right away, right away to the guy's face, like, well I'm tooish, Like geez, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well there's a prison camp. I mean that's so there's but I mean, like, did they specifically go and try to get quote unquote prisoners like the prison camp?
Speaker 2: The extra casting can work, It can be all over the place. Yeah, So yeah, I mean you're you know, you're just getting people that look the part. You see their photograph, you don't actually meet them and so if you were looking for tough prisoners, you go to prison for a prisoner camp. I mean, that's so you're gonna get guys who look like they might.
Speaker 3: Have been jumping back in a little bit to the story point. Why when Freddy arrives, do they notice that his clothes make him stand out? But no one on the bus references what you're wearing wearing at all?
Speaker 2: No one's like no one even makes a joke like, no, what are you sweater?
Speaker 3: Like nothing, It's just it's like it's and yet you stand out way more in that environment than he stands out in his.
Speaker 2: So anyway, very little interesting.
Speaker 3: So writer is obviously still trying to get out of this predicament on the bus, using yes for a second time. And then the Enclave bus arrives at their camp and they are greeted by Miss Sykes, the camp administrator, who rejects the weird flirtations of Modem and Todd before Freddy double checks.
Speaker 2: That he is on the list.
Speaker 1: And it's Mom and Todd Todd.
Speaker 3: She's very impressed by Frederick's father, forcing fast Freddy to ask if she saw his rap sheet anyway. He is then sent to the Reagan suite, which is palatial and posh and filled with preppy dork clothes, a stalked fridge, and a phone number for room service, which he uses immediately and finds out he can't get junk food. Uses a pillowcase to start stealing from the room, just again, instantly, instantly, instantly, robbing the place instantly.
Speaker 2: He doesn't think it's going to last. You know, you take it, you can get.
Speaker 3: I guess Steeling tries to escape later is what we see. He's going to try to.
Speaker 2: Escape what he can and go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is a plot point. I can understand. I'm in on this. So in the enclaved dining room, Peggy is telling Freddy's crush how rich this Frederick Egan is and ride on time.
Speaker 2: Here's fast Freddy. He sits with.
Speaker 3: Modem and Todd and Patrick. Renna is really coming off as a great d bag like boy.
Speaker 2: And I love this is so early nineties hacker, like nobody had computers. There was no internet yet, like you didn't have it. But I love that he's just got a laptop at the dining table and stuff like that. Just everybody's bank accounts everything. This was like the fantasy for what the Internet could be exactly and it is exactly what it is. Well, but we weren't there yet. Let's play clip one.
Speaker 6: All right, we certainly could use a little color around here. I'm referring to your style. Of course, your skin color hardly alienates you from this camp or this table. Wouldn't matter if you're purple, as long as your parent could come up with the green.
Speaker 2: He plays this with like no affectation. It's like Serial Killer weird dark. It is a starker dark, just like a dull choice. That's what I love about it is that he's just like, well even, I mean, what I really struck me is when he goes to my camp to kidnap me and he does it to me too. It's just like, yeah, and don't make a sad do what the hell? Yeah, it's a weird choice.
Speaker 3: So Modem uses a laptop to look up Frederick Egan the Third and sees he's worth seven billion dollars fast. Freddy starts nervously coughing what is going on here? He jets to talk to Peggy and his crush, who is named Christine Olsen, but again she's not into it. Another rejection. We also meet a laughing cafeteria chef Jimmy played by Richard Mole, with what I can only guess is maybe a creole accent.
Speaker 2: That was the attempt.
Speaker 1: I think he was a creole Southern Ish real ish.
Speaker 3: He makes fun of Freddy's way with the ladies and calls out that he belongs here as much as a gator in a duck pond.
Speaker 2: A gate and a duck pond. A gata and a duck pond. I'm telling you, Daniel Fischel, since.
Speaker 3: The truth he just senses he can pick up on the truth, yep. And then at the detention center, Sergeant Waldron is in his office flirting with a woman on the phone when Ryder walks in.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest as he walks in and is like, okay, cool, interesting choice for summertime.
Speaker 3: Switch well, I think at the very least he's being flirty with his girlfriend. Ryder tries to tell him he is not a delinquent and asks for a phone call, but phone day is tomorrow Wednesday, and then stuck up writer slash Frederick leaves and enters his bunk for the first time.
Speaker 2: It's just before the cool hand Luke reference.
Speaker 1: There's so he says, it takes the line right from cool we got what we got here is a failure to communicate the cool with the glasses and everything.
Speaker 2: Yep, just coming sounds like yep, here we go.
Speaker 3: It's just gross cuts and hooligan's everywhere. And this is where he meets Numbers, who asks him three to one guess how I got my name?
Speaker 2: But writer says this, and no one says, I don't give a rat, But yeah, I don't give I remember this so well because Isaac he was doing like a New York accent that he didn't have, Like he was, you know, call me numbers. So he would walk around saying this line call me numbers to like get into his accent right every day, so like every day and said right before we go there we rolling, He'd be like, oh, Numbers, that's how we found the accident.
Speaker 1: Very voiceover thing to do, do that all the time.
Speaker 2: Phrase that you need up here.
Speaker 3: So whatever he said it, I was like, that's so funny. Well, we also meet Hacksaw, who menacingly says he was the first one in his family to stand upright. What does that mean? Was his family babies? I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Immediately again we have another. Dan means they are not the first one. That's what it was, and just yeah, I wanted to get cavemen and here's kept thinking what they were for some reason.
Speaker 3: When he said the first one to stand upright, I just kept picturing babies on their back and I was like, are they all babies? Did they not make it out of babyhood? I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, we are proud.
Speaker 1: It is if you want to be that guy, which I know you can't do it. No, the you know what this was giving me a big vibe of which is a phenomenally good movie. Have you seen Holes?
Speaker 3: I did see love that movie, that movie Shila buff It is areat movie and it's that same like boys camp.
Speaker 1: They all have their there's arm pit and there's you know, like they've argued. They all have their kind of vibe. It is so good. You know, you don't have to say that.
Speaker 3: I thought I couldn't tell you one thing about it. I don't know one about not a single thing except that I liked it.
Speaker 2: That's all I know. I just know that I like it. Sigourney Weaver is in.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's it's a great cast it is really good in they would love holes, love holes?
Speaker 3: All right, you know what you're doing this weekend writer, great movie.
Speaker 2: This scene was my nightmare having to do the like the walk in carrying the shoes. For whatever reason, the director was so unhappy with Mike and kept saying, go bigger show. You know, it was like, be more disgusted. This is awful. This is the word, you know, And like I was, I could watching it again, I could just get I felt like visceral discomfort of like push, how do you get that much bigger with the dialogue, with what you did? That's what I didn't get myself, you know. And I'm just not that kind of actor, like and I didn't think of myself like I just didn't think that this was that funny. I guess, I don't know. I just watching this, I was like, oh, this is so awful.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess unless he wanted you to go so ridiculously caricatry where I think running.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that's why I think it is my fault. Acting. Was like, if there was any awareness or campiness or irony of any sort to this character, he's much more likable. It's much more funny, but as it is, you're like annoyed by my disdain for everybody because it's like you don't. I mean, that's I know, but now I don't know. I think there's a way. Look, I'd love to go back and acting coach young fourteen year old old writer and tell him how to play the scene and that it's okay. Uh, and then maybe the director isn't wrong, but you know, how do he take a note behind the note and find a version that works for you? Okay? Could I could have helped myself out. It's it was painful to watch, though.
Speaker 3: Well I didn't think it was nearly as bad as you agree. I agreed, Yeah, definitely not so okay. We are also introduced to Ferret, who was yelling and hissing and talking to a toothbrush, and he's called nuts.
Speaker 2: He's really good. He's amazing, so Ty, like I think I completely forgot like that he existed, and then I started watching this movie, was like, oh my god, that's I remember this guy Ty. He was older, he was he was an adult, if I remember, he looks like he was older than us, but just the best. And I remember laughing NonStop with him. He would always he I don't know if he had actually done stand up, but he would always do bits and he was improvising like crazy. So like most of the funniest stuff is him improving, and like I guess he was like a go to freak out slacker dude and like because there's like a common commercial with him in it and like you know when he freaks out, Like that's what I remember. He was like known for being the guy like yeah and has lost I draw like a berserker actor. He's so funny.
Speaker 1: He's in this movie.
Speaker 3: He's really really good, and it's great against two totally different characters in this movie.
Speaker 2: There's a scene where he's just a different character and then and then yeah, so we get to see him twice. It's really great.
Speaker 1: But this is what I found so odd about this film is that the the people around you are way more flushed out and given actual characters than the people around the other Freddy Yeah, you know. So it's like you wanted that balance of like you get where it's going, but it wasn't like that at all. And that's why I'm like, who am I I don't know who I'm rooting for. It's supposed to be rooting for.
Speaker 2: I didn't get it. Who is the protagonist? I don't know. I guess it's Jason, really it's him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It starts with his problem, like he gets sent to camp, so it's really it's his predicament that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, but it's all so your problem is the same. Exact movie could exist if they just started with you on the free free throw line. I mean, it's not like his thing led to your thing. It was just his character happened to go first with his problem.
Speaker 2: That's all it was. Was. Yeah, so it's supposed to be a two piece, and it just it was.
Speaker 1: I didn't I didn't know who I was rooting for.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, back at Enclave, chef Jimmy catches Freddy walking around with his pillowcase filled with stolen goods. Jimmy knows that Freddy is lying and was meant to be at the work camp down the street, because this is a quote. I know the streets. I was raised on them myself. So he references the fact that there's a work camp down the street, and he recognizes quickly that fast Freddy was probably meant to go there, and there's been some sort of mix up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the super wealthy camp is always within a quarter mile of the prison camp.
Speaker 2: I would like to say, just so it's out there.
Speaker 3: My junior high school was directly next door to the juvenile detention junior high school.
Speaker 1: Yes, different than the super well, that'd be like the be like Choate in Connecticut or one of these super wealthy high schools. Being right next to cho is like one of the biggest high schools and.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a bad word. I know.
Speaker 1: No, it's Choate, So like both. No, Choate is like where a lot of presidents went. It's where you go before or Harvard. Yeah, so it's it's one of those things where that's not going to be next to a detention center. So this is supposed to be super wealthy camp, right, you know, within a stone's throw of the prison camp.
Speaker 2: Very funny. Worked for the work for the piece, worked for the peace, It worked out for it. Okay.
Speaker 3: So Jimmy alludes that he won't snitch, and Freddy says he just wants him to stay out of his face. Back at the work camp, writer is in a scene right out of shawsh Ank Redemption, digging a hole, still mouthing off to the sergeant and getting nowhere at enclave fast. Freddy gets a letter from Frederic's mom, who was on safari but sent her a credit card for.
Speaker 2: Him to use.
Speaker 3: She explains that she'll pick him up at the end of summer, and Freddy gets to charge gifts for Christine onto the gold card, and she starts with He starts with the absolute best caviar, which, as we know, all high schoolers love.
Speaker 1: Exactly a case a case a case of caviar, ten years worth of caviar to the fifteen year old girl. I really, we.
Speaker 2: All know, we all know that's everyone's favorite.
Speaker 3: Modem and Todd are watching Freddy and another person play basketball. Modem is impressed with the other guy, a camper named Hoops, who is maybe a thirty five year old man.
Speaker 2: He is in every bit he is dunking. We had these older we had all the basketball players were older. They were in college. I actually remember hanging out with a couple of them. I could see their faces in the background of some of the scenes be like, oh, yes, that's good night, guy. But I don't remember their names, but there they were, Like you guys in particular, one of whom will you'll appreciate this because I was. I was big in to role playing games at the time. Yeah, so like and of all things, well, first of all, when you get back then, if you remember, if you went to a town like Jacksonville, the first thing you had to do was find the local couch book, game store or whatever you have to. Like, I remember going through the Yellow Pages and you have to look up like hobbies, and then like there would be hobby stores that would just be like airplane building and you're like, no, I want the hobby store that has D and D books. And anyway, one of these guys who was way too old basketball player played where Wolf the Apocalypse, the role playing game I used to play, and it was like, I couldn't believe that of all the things in Jacksonville, I found him. Fellow were wolf player, you found him. I also I also remember buying minifig figurines to paint, like the Pewter figurines. I got into painting while I was doing this movie. I never got any good at it.
Speaker 3: But well, this particular guy who played Hoops was named Kent Schaeffer in his only role ever, and he goes out of his way to avoid having any lines. They actually I mean. They make it very clear he's not allowed to talk. Also, Modem notices that Freddy is a baller too, and the perfect new addition to their plan. Christine walks up furious about her caviat and is not interested in some flashy fly talking boy. She's not hearing it and she takes off. Modem then extends an invitation to Freddy to join the camp, the camp team for their game against the detention camp. Oh, we see where this is going. Then Freddy says nope and takes off. At enclave, we hear a perfectly timed announcement sign up today to play basketball against the richie rich kids, and it must be Wednesday. Because Writer is calling his dad. He tries to explain there has been a huge identity mistake, but his dad isn't listening at all.
Speaker 2: He's just focused on work. He hangs up without hearing a word. Writer. This is where I noticed. Your skin is flawless. Yeah, this is patly.
Speaker 3: You have not a not a thing on your skin. You look like this is obviously before filters. I would be like they did something to his face. Nobody's face is that flawless?
Speaker 2: Prepubescent still gosh, yeah, a year later it would be a whole nightmare. So yeah, man, I literally is close up on you. I was like, wow, look at that skin. There's actually like the whole section of the movie where I have like a patch of dirt on the side of my face, which made me think, do you guys remember like Fuller's Earth? Oh, my god, you have. I don't think anybody would know that, but Foller's Earth is what is fake dirt because you don't want to use real dirt on actors faces. So there's a thing called Fuller's Earth. I don't know if they still use it on set, but it's basically like a powder. It's like a makeup. It looks like dirt and it comes in big bags, and so whenever you're supposed to be dirty, you get Fuller's Earth. When I saw that little patch on the side, much like, I don't know it's there. I haven't I haven't done enough. You needed to be dirtied up.
Speaker 1: Apparently we still also still don't know whatever that hole was you were digging like. They never explained it, just a hole, get in there.
Speaker 3: And that was so Back in the dining room, writer sits with some gross food and the insane kid Ferret, who was playing with his mashed potatoes. Frederick tell's Numbers and Hacksaw he wants in. They have no idea what he's talking about, but Writer explains he's seen the movies. He knows they're probably planning a break. Numbers and Hacksaw say there is no escape plan, especially since less than one percent of these ideas are successful. But still Writer offers them cash and the boys say, okay, we'll help you.
Speaker 2: This is this is where the music was doing the like the dumb guy music cue, like letting us know that this is so bad.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: You ever watched Like Survivor and they always do it like now you once you know, like you could just tell, like the show is judging this person. Yeah, I'm supposed to think this person is dumb because it has that kind of music going on, and the music so heavy handed that way.
Speaker 3: Well, the next morning, Freddy wakes up in his huge bed and says he's living life like Michael Jackson, a small nod to his breakout role. He also does a little MJ dance move and says I'm bad. Then we see him at the pool, still hitting.
Speaker 2: On things, makes himself.
Speaker 3: Blind again another moment where they were like, hey, go ahead, just do some just do some cool stuff. You're talented. Give us some of your moves and see what you got. He is still hitting on Christine unsuccessfully. He also has a much higher voice for ad R for some reason. You could tell the stuff that was ad R. It's significantly higher. Then he runs into Modem who is in the pool with a hat on. And I was gonna say, swimming with shirt, I'm all four, swimming with a hat is a real move.
Speaker 2: But we see later he's got a piece of paper in there, so it makes sense. I think it's funny. It's funny. It's funny.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, hat on. He's still talking about the basketball team and reveals that he needs poached eggs delivered to him every morning or else Freddy Egan from the South Side will be exposed, even to Christine. We find out he knows about his true identity, and yep, the next scene, he's making those poached eggs in the kitchen and Chef Jimmy is mad about it. He says, you don't oh mote him anything even if he does know, And now, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. He's a chef. Now, all of a sudden, he's going in. He knows how to poach eggs. He's cooking the kid dinner. Where did he Where did he pick.
Speaker 2: Up these cheffing skills? Is my question?
Speaker 1: He probably perfectly poached eggs. It's so strange, and I was like, oh, okay, oh lady's a chef chef too, Okay, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: This movie also does this thing a couple of times where it brings up like it brings up a problem, like oh, he's discovered who yeah Freddy is, and then it just kind of doesn't matter anymore. No, don't worry about it. They're like, we need steaks, and they're like, how can I say something about it?
Speaker 1: Okay that note or just have Freddy cook perfect stakes is it's when you already brought up where we like actually confront each other and to everybody what's happening, and everyone just goes, we're.
Speaker 2: Coming up to that.
Speaker 3: So and now Freddie needs Jimmy's help to get Christine. Freddy says, since the cook hasn't routed Freddy out, he must be a good brother. And then Chef Jimmy says, this man, I got.
Speaker 2: A sister in Georgia and three brothers in Jersey. You ain't my brother? What you wait, my brother? What what does that mean? Okay?
Speaker 3: Sure, anyway, Jimmy tells him to be an honest gentleman to Christine, but Freddie isn't hearing it. At the same time, Modem hacks into the Las Vegas mainframe and somehow gets the Camp basketball team into their sports book so people can bet on the game.
Speaker 2: This will never come back up.
Speaker 3: Just fyo, the betting, the money, nothing, This will never be mentioned again.
Speaker 2: This is this.
Speaker 3: You'll never hear about it. Don't expect to wrap up on this. It just doesn't come back.
Speaker 2: You do love talking about Stacks.
Speaker 3: It's true that you do. You do think you they threatened stakes. They thinks it.
Speaker 2: You otherwise this whole storyline like why does Modem care, you know, unless unless there's real reasons.
Speaker 1: Trying to keep him on the basketball team and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: But it's yeah, never, She's right, it never comes up.
Speaker 1: Do you lose?
Speaker 3: He says, it's not as tough as those Pearl Jam tickets they scored.
Speaker 2: And then they bet two million dollars on the game.
Speaker 3: It's just it's a very grounded scene and writer gets another call to his dad, so it also must be Wednesday. Again, it's a it's a full week. His dad is on a construction site. It's been three weeks.
Speaker 1: Three. It's a third call, so it's three weeks of the month he's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: It's a second. I think it's it's second call. Didn't hear him. It was the day before Wednesday, exactly a full week now, Yeah, so you're two weeks into a one month sentence, or at least eight days because Tuesday you tried.
Speaker 3: Then the next day was Wednesday, and then it's now next Wednesday, so it's been eight days.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: So his dad is on a construction site with faulty cell phone service. Again they attempt to fix. So the attempt to fix the mistake is unsuccessful. So that night the tunnel plan with numbers and Hacksaw is on, but it ends up being a prank where a rider gets sprayed with water and they're all caught redhanded and sent to trash pick up on the highway the next day.
Speaker 2: Now this is where I finally felt like I was okay, okay, great, see I was like, well, I mean, first of all, like I remember this. I remember shooting this obviously because I get covered in water and light, there's lots of remember. But I also remember like, this is one of the first night scenes I ever shot, and I remember being so like shocked at how much lighting you need, like a condor without giant, big blue moonlight. Shooting at night in the woods is like you have to have so much light to just be able to see. And then though, but man, like, do you guys catch the really awkward moment where I go to recha the wrench, you're holding your head the wrench, just hold they take it. It's like, but I do like that at least I'm like being a snap. See. Here's where I'm like being a snob and like I think I'm better than you in a funny way. Well, I'm like I got this, yeah, I could tell, you know. And it's like, rather than discussed, I'm playing like cocky, which is just the one way should be a pretentious rich person. It's more likable. It's more it's like, oh, this guy has no clue how much of an ass he is. It's just you know, whereas before it's like me constantly letting everyone else know how much they suck our dirty or look weird and it's just not good. Like so this I was like, oh yeah, this is fun. Now at trash pick up, the Enclave bus first fluids. Oh really, water sewage dump on me. Let's get to that fluid coverage number one.
Speaker 3: The Enclave bus drives by the prisoners, and Modem and Todd instruct the adult bus driver to pull over. They have a plan. They ask the workers rider, Hacksaw and Numbers if they want to cool off because they're hot, and the apparently street smart kids stupidly say yeah, we're thirsty.
Speaker 2: Like there's a few things leading up to this. How about the fact that the adults are in on sure? I think that.
Speaker 1: That that the guy the guy says, hey, bus driver, pull over, and the guys you got it, Yeah, I now.
Speaker 2: Pull over, no problem.
Speaker 1: And just very quickly before that, uh, the police officer when he's when he's yelling at them, he's pointing with two fingers, and it's very odd because who points.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the teach you that when you are a when you're at Disneyland, when you work at Disneyland, if you ask anybody where anything is, they point with two fingers because they never want anyone to think they're pointing at them.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you so so, so, then you think the police officer went to Disneyland training school.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: And I also there's another moment later where they shake their rich they shake hands like wrists, and I think I think everyone in this movie was Disney and plat.
Speaker 2: Okay, that may okay, Well then you just explained it. That makes okay.
Speaker 3: So then writer Numbers and Hacksaw are doused with some sort garious trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they had to, like they have. I mean, it was clearly a choice because it was like, why would my character get get and you have it so bad? It's such bad overacting, like, oh I've lost my balance gang, Oh what is this supposed to be? Yeah? I don't know what is it? What's the giant? Were talking about?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 2: I was always getting covered because in my Giant I get dumped on. It's like whenever you're a kid actor you get dumped on. You get what is it supposed to be? We have in a in a in a cooler cooler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a giant, white giant cooler full of nasty white.
Speaker 2: Anything. So now now you make me really it's secure about this movie. This is uh, this is an interesting choice. It is, my god, all I remember about this more than it is Tie improvising the whole like Beware of the Eyes of March day, Like when he said calling us after the domp and he's like they just rolled the camera and he just kept pocket and freaking out. It was hysterical, like I'm losing it that whole day. Yeah, he was a funny guy.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, oh my gosh, Okay, anyway, the sergeant just sits back and watches this happen.
Speaker 2: He doesn't do a thing, no, of course, not of course, Jason yep.
Speaker 3: But then back on the rich Enclave bus, Freddy stands up for the prisoner kids and tells Modem and Todd to raise up, impressing a nearby Christine. Also back on the side of the road, Numbers helps write her up and we have a new respect and friendship between them. Back at enclave, Freddy is watching Christine play tennis, and when they say good match, they shake.
Speaker 2: Wrists like this. It's fascinating.
Speaker 1: It's also just a weird tennis lesson all the way around, the woman just holding on to her the whole time. Swinging the racket for or twice and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, great, lesson you greatly pick something up there.
Speaker 3: So, uh, it seems like this possible couple is starting to get along because of what he did on the bus. He asks her to the camp dance dance and she says yes. The sergeant also tells his work crew they didn't deserve the slime dowsing by Enclave, but he's interrupted by another romantic phone call and he can't hide.
Speaker 2: I no longer have a sweater vest shirt guy. I also like to feel like I'm in the movie exactly. I was also like this the line. I like the line that I even wrote it down. Tough times don't last, tough people do. I like him, like the big giant sign behind him, the eyes well again, the sign.
Speaker 1: Budget for this movie was off the chart, but it was.
Speaker 2: I loved that. That's a great sentiment.
Speaker 1: That's a great sentiment.
Speaker 3: And at Enclave, we see Freddy bringing the poached eggs to Modem, but it's actually been replaced by a rat and a card that says you are what you eat. But Modem just says to get it out of here. And I just don't understand.
Speaker 2: This beat at all. No, I would he not be more mad about this.
Speaker 1: And nothing because he doesn't feel he doesn't.
Speaker 2: He just expose Freddy.
Speaker 1: I don't get it, because he needs them from the basketball because he's got two million dollars.
Speaker 3: In the game now, so he's got million dollars. Speaking of some confusion. Here we are at the dance. Freddy is dancing with Christine and bragging about his father, which we know are all lies, and Christine is showing she's real down to earth even though she's rich, so Ley is deep.
Speaker 2: Jo I was sitting here going, oh, we're already at the dance, right, but because you usually saved the dance for the dance. But this movie is like a combo between like high school teen movies where the dance is the big third act thing and the sports movie basketball, and it tries to do both up with.
Speaker 3: Two endings, and you don't really realize that either of those two things are super important. There's only been very casual mention of both of them, and so.
Speaker 2: You're like, is the dance important? Is the game important? Because you gotta have Jason Weaver singing dance, That's what it is exactly.
Speaker 1: He's the only one singing and dancing because all the other dancing couples look like they are being tortured to be there.
Speaker 2: It is the most well, we're.
Speaker 3: Playing bad movie. She's the whole point is that she's playing bad music. I said, movies.
Speaker 2: She's playing.
Speaker 1: These poor people like spinning around each other, just looking at there's a couple behind you that I swear to God, right before they said action got into a huge fight right beforehand.
Speaker 2: It was not I just had a memory. The only time I've ever done peri oke was during this movie, and I did David Tom and Patrick Renna I don't and we must have been out with Jason, but he didn't do it with it, but we the three of us and sang something. Anyway, I haven't done karaoke since I'm so bad and so yeah, but what happened during the karaoke We were doing some kind of like spontaneous dance move and I slammed the mic into David Tom's oh I know, and like gave him a black eye, and god, yeah, it was like bad. He was like really hurt and like kind of upset and like of course a horrible singer. So never done karaoke since but.
Speaker 1: No, I mean the usually not had many injuries in karaoke. That's impressive.
Speaker 2: It is impressive.
Speaker 3: Well, so Leigh's DJing and Hoops is housing eggs, and when the music gets boring, Freddy says he wants to show Christine something he's been working on. But outside Modem has crossed the river to the Bad Camp and luckily is right there. When Ryder walks by, he grabs him and tells him he wants to take him to the dance and introduce him to his evil twin, the other Freddy Egan, Right, housing, when you when you eat something like a ton of it, you're housing.
Speaker 1: You're housing it. Never even never heard that housing something inthing.
Speaker 2: This is a this is a horrible scene. It's all in one shot. I think what happened is like it was a last minute I think we were probably it was probably the same night we were doing the moonlight Escape, and it's like they grab the camera and they're like, just find a corner over here, we'll pretend the fences right there. You guys, just do your in one shot, we'll get out of here and take and then because none of it makes sense, like we're losing light, we're losing light. We're like, yeah, we have to play open to the camera, like because we just have this one two shot that's all. It's so bad. It's weird. It's weird, like and there's also just no recognition that there's this dude and like full cameo and face pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're just okay, I gotta go get hacks on numbers.
Speaker 1: Why so is he just going by himself? The guy who's supposed to be like the mastermind of the whole thing goes to the bad camp to break in by himself, to go grab hoping that this guy is going to walk by him at some point.
Speaker 2: And luckily he's there. He's just right there.
Speaker 1: It's like, why not send one of your minions or five of them, but you're going to go buy yourself into.
Speaker 2: The camp whatever and just get a d It made no sense.
Speaker 1: And also I love how he's he's changing his call sign every time he gets on.
Speaker 2: His mother every time. What does he hoping happens? Just trying to bring you to the camp. Yeah, he's just going to find you, But what's going to happen? Because isn't that going to ruin his basketball? But then none of it makes none of that because if he if he doesn't, because he can already expose Freddy. He already can do it. He has the power. It was, so now.
Speaker 3: Is the reason he's going to do it. He's going to give up the bat because he has Hoops. So maybe he's decided, without this being explained at all, he's decided.
Speaker 2: Well, that rat was the last the last thing. He could just expose Freddy. He could just take the piece of paper from his hat, go to the people.
Speaker 3: That right, much more interesting to do it, Freddy, say, expose what actually happened to everybody? So Hoops is just housing eggs as I mentioned, and.
Speaker 2: Jason Siggs and dances and he's gray. Okay.
Speaker 3: Back at the dance, Freddie has taken over DJing and performs his own song that Girl with more MJ Moves. He is good and Christine loves it. Also, we find out that the sergeant's lady friend from the phone calls is the Posh Camps director, Miss Sikes. They rendezvous at the dance and kiss, but also Ryder and his crew have arrived. They interrupt the music celebration to present the real Frederick Egan the Third and It's Rider the gig is up whoa major moment the movie should be over at this point. The audience reacts.
Speaker 2: Whole basketball game? Is this really gonna end right now? I thought the same thing, and I was so tired I was doing remember being here for the scene at all either, which is so weird because usually remember big crowd scenes like this well as a person who didn't remember being in the crowd at Thriller Thrilla and Phila. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: You know when when there's a long day like that and you're not really doing much, you just forget those days. So the Fred's meet, they get into a small fight. Luckily the cop is there being all sexy with his lady friend and he gets his home.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know her name. We're ran past that. We been phone sexing with this woman forever. They've been talking a long time and know her name. Yeah, he calls it a lot. Yeah, yeah, right, I know. But you figure you get you don't just jump to nickname. You go from regular name to nickname. That's the progression.
Speaker 3: So he gets the hoodlumbs out of there, including the wrong Freddy once again. But isn't everything now exposed? And then Hoops passes out from too many eggs. Then we're back at enclave. Numbers is bummed to find out that Hoops is very sick from eating all the eggs and can't play in the game. That would not be Numbers who would be bummed by that, right, it would be Moodem. Modem is bummed to find out that Hoops is very sick for me to all the eggs and can't play in the game. And there is zero discussion about what was just exposed.
Speaker 1: Freddie is there, like hanging out with them now, no thing has changed.
Speaker 2: Freddy's in the background, he's dancing talking with them, like, what the hell's happened? What am I missing here?
Speaker 3: It's never brought up again, isn't They shouldn't that have been the end of the switcheroo? But no, it's just we move right on past it, as if that didn't happen. Makes no sense anyway. Now they need Freddy. Who are they are still calling Frederick? They know he's not Frederick now, but okay, they they need him to join the team.
Speaker 2: They believe me is the whole point, right, they say, like that guy's trying to get Freddy like so they at the dance. Nobody believed me, so everything else what it was, and did they just do it with like ad.
Speaker 1: R where they tried to throw in lines that were off camera of people going like, that's not Freddy. I mean, is that how they tried to explain.
Speaker 2: It says like that guy's you know, trying to get Freddy or something, and.
Speaker 3: So at least also, if they didn't do that long reaction shot of the audience taking it all in, you could have also believed that they were distracted by so many other things. Wait a minute, miss miss has her tank top off and they're hooking up, and oh the stuff and and oh it just got lost in the fray. But they like do this long shot of the audience going Freddy, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: So why did I have to bring my friends right? Like make this whole meal? But then they don't do anything now except get us in trouble because we have a bunch of prison kids who escaped.
Speaker 1: By the way, yes you have now officially escaped from prison camp, which was which you were you were sentenced to be at.
Speaker 2: So sentence I got. Yeah, I could also just you know, maybe called my dad or yeah, I'm called it. My butler figured out a way to note go home.
Speaker 3: No, So Freddy says he has already said no to joining the team, But when Modem threatens to tell Christine about his real identity again, he buckles and joins, I know I'm repeating myself here, but Christine already knows this from the dance. She knows, wasn't She question like, Hey, what was that? What was that that happened?
Speaker 2: Can we talk about that giant thing that just happened and what was that about? Nope.
Speaker 3: Back at detention camp, the sergeant is getting his basketball squad together to beat Enclave and says every man who plays in the game will get a work reduction. So now even writer is actually invested in beating the spoiled brats, so he'll play and coach them. On the other side of the camps, Christine.
Speaker 2: And Freddy, great way to accommodate Rider Strong being in your movie. Absolutely, I have a very unathletic kid who's supposed to be the savior of your basketball team. You say he's gonna coach them, right, It's so smart. I was like, thank god they said that.
Speaker 3: Yep. Christine and Freddie are really getting along at the other camp. But Christine wants to meet his parents. He's clearly nervous about this, but says she will soon. Also, Frederick slimo driver swings by to drop off a Kashmir comforter, So Freddie hides in the shower and avoids getting busted. But also, but what he was busted at the dance. I have to drop this.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna you can't, you can't. It's one of those things where there's just you can't logic.
Speaker 2: When he is in the power, he doesn't try to change his voice at all. He's just he doesn't do something. It's just not your voice. She's doesn't very high like this, he doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: How about also just the chauffeur just walking into the bathroom is in the shower, Like that's a little little odd too. So yeah, very very strange.
Speaker 3: Well, we see the prisoners basketball practice, which isn't going great, but they learned that crazy Ferret has an incredible shot. Writer convinces him to join the team, and again we see Writer's glorious perfect skin in a nice close up the rich kid sweat sweaty rider.
Speaker 2: No, this is where I was like, oh well this is this makes sense? Like how do you make you know, a basketball team better like have this outsider character and me sort of bringing the team together. It's like, okay, this is you mean, it's right, but can.
Speaker 1: We talk about just a big of another big kind of point where it should never have been basketball, right, It should have been a rich sport where usually underprivileged kids don't have the opportunity to play it. Where basketball it's basketball. Everybody can play basketball. So the kids at the delinquent camp are are you know, are gonna get a chance. They're gonna know how to play basketball? It you made it polo or something very richy rich, it would have made more sense to me that that. It's like, how the hell are we gonna beat rich kid camptball?
Speaker 2: Though? Man, I know, but it was just.
Speaker 1: One of those things where it's basketball is it's a game from the streets. I mean that's what That's what basketball is. That's the soul of basketball. So like that didn't make sense to me either.
Speaker 3: The rich kid practice is going very poorly without hoops, and one of the weirdest parts of the movie occurs when Freddie explains that he can help because he's good at basketball.
Speaker 2: You know, I got to spiel it know what I'm saying. I got the skills to pay the bills.
Speaker 6: So watch how I shoot the chef.
Speaker 2: Now, I got skills, just like what Tim Hardaway see it. I got SKUs four times, at least four times. I get it. You have you've got skills. You've got skills. You think. They probably just let him improvise.
Speaker 3: They just told him go out there and do that, and he just kind of it's great, it doesn't matter. You still enjoy it, you're still in But it's just funny because I knew, Oh, that was definitely a moment where they let him improv because I was like.
Speaker 2: Nobody wrote a line where they wrote four times, I got skills.
Speaker 3: So we see Modem working on are on creating a remote control magnetic basketball all like you do. Okay, more confusion here. Writer is practicing basketball way into the night when Ferrett joins.
Speaker 2: Him at a detention camp.
Speaker 3: Yes it is once noting for the scene. Ferrett is a completely different character. He sounds different. He is maybe twenty percent as crazy as he's been all movie. He teaches Writer how to shoot in about ten seconds, but again he is no longer insane. We also learned that his parents left him in a dumpster when he was born, and then writer connects with him about parental neglect and they practiced some more.
Speaker 2: The worst scene effort like that my character relate is, I guess left in a dumpster. Your dad's a billionaires. It reminded me of have you guys ever heard of affluenza like that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, defense that some kid got. Yes. It's like, it's like, well, I've had it. You know, it's really hard to be super wealthy by your parents.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know you're coming from a dumpster and you talk to your toothbrush and then let me just throw your toothbrush away. I know, what a dick ye happening. I was like, that's I was like, am I like? Am I telling him to grow up and let go of his childish what you're saying? He runs after the two he does runs for a second. The character think he's playing that's what.
Speaker 3: This same is the worst scene. It's the weirdest weirdness scene of the whole movie.
Speaker 1: I also think Ferrett is the only one wearing a black jumpsuit, and I believe the numbers on the back are six six six. What if I think it's that they gave him the devil's numbers on the back to ye this is the worst.
Speaker 3: Same Well, back in the kitchen, Freddy is freaking out to chef Jimmy about his predicament. Jimmy reveals that in his hood he was a stupid little street punk. So people can change. He gives he gives words of motivation and says Christine likes him, not the fake character he's.
Speaker 2: This is a good scene with the two. Great is very good. This is the sort of like sentimentality that this movie could use.
Speaker 3: These are the best scenes between the that have used some of this for writer's parents, maybe to see them having a little bit of a some sort of realization about it.
Speaker 2: A better Ferret connection scene. Yeah, I mean that's Paul. But they don't bond. There's the you're fred Freddy.
Speaker 1: Fred Rick is bonding with his cellmates, Yeah, and becoming part of that crew, Freddie.
Speaker 2: They don't have that at all.
Speaker 1: They have him connecting with this one character, which is great, but there's no balance between the two. It's like and then we'll get to it where he later apologized everybody like, we're still love you. He never connected with any of these people. They never show him connecting with his team. They don't show him connecting with anybody. It's so weird.
Speaker 3: Well, it's now basketball game day. We see the rich parents and suits and fancy cars, and the hoodlum parents arriving on motorcycles, drinking beers and barping, and oh, the rich Frederick the Third's dad and mom have arrived to surprise their son at the game, Jim. Christine meets them in the camp director's office. She is shocked they're white. She confronts Freddy mad he didn't tell her. He seems so tired of lying, so then he tells her and all of his basketball teammates and the cheerleaders the truth about everything. He is, poor Freddie Egan from the streets of the South Side, who doesn't even know who his parents are. He calls himself scum and says the only honest thing he said is that this has been the best summer of his life. And then Christine says they like him no matter who he is. She accepts him, and everyone accepts him, and just like that, it's all totally okay.
Speaker 2: You didn't bond with any of these people, But also, what about the fact that they all heard this at the dance. Ugh, it's so strange.
Speaker 3: So Ryder's mom catches up with him, and he is disappointed to see him with such hoodlums, but Ryder stands up for himself and his friends. When his mom looks to his dad for support, he doesn't care. He's just ready to cheer him on numbers.
Speaker 2: Is happy to.
Speaker 3: See this progress and now it's game time, noting now that Ferrett is crazy again.
Speaker 2: He is no longer the guy we saw in the last scene. He's crazy now.
Speaker 3: The Fred's face off for the jump ball important plot point. They are giving a magnetic ball by modem. Did anyone remember that moment? I forgot that that happened?
Speaker 1: Yes, but have we had There's no mention at all from Freddy's parents, Frederick's parents about why are you at that camp, why are you on this team, whether you happened.
Speaker 2: Why are you wearing a jumpsuit? Why were you just in prison? No mention of any of this.
Speaker 3: No, And it's supposed to be that the cop pushes them along that like, oh he covered it, rushes, keep god, gotta keep moving, got.
Speaker 2: To rush over this.
Speaker 3: But it the amount of suspension of disbelief you have to have to keep going with this is a lot. Also, I really truly did forget the magnetic ball part.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I didn't feel like then they reminded us that this had happened. I completely, honestly had forgotten about Modem. Modem's been gone for a long time, Modem's involvement in this. I feel like they could have maybe reminded us a little bit about Modem's involvement. So Out the Gate Enclave takes an early lead, especially when Modem turns on the ball magnet, making the prisoner's ball wildly spin around the basket basket, which is a decent affer.
Speaker 2: It was normal to wear a T shirt under your jersey, like I am, yeah you can't. It was normal.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's not too bad, now, writer, did you have a basketball double here?
Speaker 2: Because you look yes you did, okay.
Speaker 4: Right away.
Speaker 2: He's an extra in other scenes too. He's I think he's in the dance scene. He's figured prominently, has like the same hair as me, and he's like slightly taller and thinner and an amazing basketball player. Yeah, they really good. It was lucky they found him. Yeah, okayt Yeah, we knew it. We knew that. Whenever it's me, it's a close up and Jason off camera saying double dribble, double dribble, dribble. It's in the wheelchair.
Speaker 1: The Nancy Kerrigan scene is they're wheeling me around the ice to look like I gainst gate. It's the basketball equivalent.
Speaker 3: So Chef Jimmy is in the stands and he's figuring out something is wrong with that ball. During halftime where Enclave leads by eighteen, Jimmy finds Modem and destroys the trick ball. Modem's plan and the two million dollar bet have been exposed, So I guess the plan does come The two million dollar thing does come back up here.
Speaker 2: A little bits.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit, a little it's mentioned at least. So then Chef Jimmy tells Freddy about Modem's trickery and suggests Freddy sit out the second half to make this fair.
Speaker 2: He says, it's the right thing to do, the miss thing I have ever heard. I know what. Why does Jason get punished like what? He has to sit out the game because this other kid cheated? Right right? No, it is the it's the worst plan, and it's so insulting to the protagonist of our movie Done the Right Thing is a good basketball player, and yet he's supposed to take a back seat like that is It's the weirdest logic.
Speaker 1: No. I also love how they say to you that when your two characters get together, he says, look, I know there's been some bad blood between us. It's like bad blood. You stole my life and put me in prison. This is not bad blood. It's like, hey, I know there's been some stuff. It's like at also the truth, No, he didn't. He also stole the other guy's life. It was a total mistake by.
Speaker 3: Both of that There's actually been no bad blood between the two of you.
Speaker 2: It's so weird. It's the so thing is odd.
Speaker 3: Freddy walks up to Rider, clears the air, and takes a spot on the bench, allowing the detention camp to catch up. In a montage worth noting, many of the shots of the ball going into the basket do not match the shots that are taken.
Speaker 2: I saw the same shot of.
Speaker 3: The ball going into the basket and over again, even with the ball shot from the other side. Okay, there are two seconds left, and left an enclave only leads by one. It's seventy eight to seventy seven. Last play of the game, Prisoner's Ball. They inbound to Rider and he's fouled just as the clock runs out. Yes, so Rider will go to the free throw line and has to take has to make both shots to win the game. Just like the scrimmage we saw at the very beginning of the movie. Cool Rider gets ready for his first shot with his parents looking on and the crowd is going nuts, and then he hears Ferret's coaching advice in his head. He shoots, and he hits the first shot.
Speaker 2: Tie game. Don't show you take the shot. They don't even show you take the shot.
Speaker 1: You take the shot, and they cut to it going like could you not make a free throw?
Speaker 2: Or did they not? Probably not? Okay, they can roll enough.
Speaker 1: Times to get one, and then they show you, actually, I.
Speaker 2: Probably tried fifteen times. They're like, you know, let's just call it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, diminishing returns, So he's square. He takes the second shot, he squares up, and he exit the detention camp wins by one thanks to sports ball Master Riders strong.
Speaker 2: And how is this supposed to be an accomplishment when they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you make but you also make the second one, and you just go there's no like, oh my god, I mean it's just and then finally like there's a beat of silence, and then the team comes over. It's like, oh wait, that's right, that was the second one. You just won the game.
Speaker 2: It was such like a games over the thing.
Speaker 3: So his team and their fans storm the court, I know.
Speaker 2: The other Freddy positive thing, call the game off, do it again without magnetic balls, and like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know who we're supposed to root for. I still don't know who I'm supposed to root for in this movie. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: They wanted to have it both, they wanted to have it be both of us, and it's just too much. Yeah. Yeah, let's also not think about the race connotations here. Let's just that's it's like, yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 3: So now, after the game, camp instructor, Miss Sikes explains to Freddy that Modem and Todd are busted for racketeering and gambling. Also, she's learned all about the original bus mix up and will contact the Juvenile Board about his exemplary behavior. Then him and Cook Jimmy have kind of a long emotional moment that ends in a hug. As he leaves, Christine pops up to kiss him and tells him she likes him even if he doesn't have a dollar. He reveals Miss Sykes offered him a job at the camp, and he has a new fall. He has a new a new foster parent cook Jimmy.
Speaker 2: Okay, everything a lots going on. I'm gonna have a dad now, is fair? Its going to be on the job, you know, Bush, he needs his soup brush and.
Speaker 1: You can you literally threw away his sanity.
Speaker 2: Nice good work. The ending is that I introduced friends to my parents, right, mom? Have you met my friends? These are my friends? Friends? Man like they get the benefit of knowing a rich guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no, nothing with your parents. There's no actual way. Nope, still not. Why were you in jail?
Speaker 2: No, just gets adopted a job, going to get out of jail free card friends? Yeah? Yeah, but I won the basketball game that recheated again.
Speaker 1: I still don't know who I'm supposed to root for.
Speaker 3: Christine admits she's going to miss him so much, and they kiss again, this time an open mouth kiss, and it's time for her to leave camp now alone. Freddy looks around. Wow, what an adventure this has been. He finds that gold coin he has in his pocket. Yep, the one he stole from a poor old widow who probably thinks about it all the time and also thinks it helped the homeless. He doesn't care to care about that, and he flips it in the air. This thing may have brought luck, after all, he thinks to himself, even though once again he stole it from a widow who held onto it for years after her beloved husband died.
Speaker 2: So and he breaks the fourth wall. Breaks the fourth wall.
Speaker 3: It's for the first time he stares directly into the camera to give us a little eyebrow raise and then freeze frame.
Speaker 2: End of movie. I think if we've learned anything, it's the Boy Means World has stood the test of time for good reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of writing, directing, acting, and being done in the nineties at levels a little less. You know. You know what this makes me think is that anytime we've ever had a plot point issue with a Boy Meets World episode, it's always something so insignificant. Yeah, insignificant. It is also, I mean, it is also a sitcom, so you have a little bit of the like sure reality like sort of being yanked, whereas with the movie you have to you have to think these things through, you have to have the logic. And this is a perfect example.
Speaker 1: Though I have to say, of everyone's like the writers are on strike, is it really that important? Is that this is one of the reasons to show how important writing is. You need the writers to do stuff, because this just needed to be rewritten.
Speaker 2: It just it didn't lot parts of it was just didn't make any sense. It was like what I positive what happened is they probably had a version of the script and then just they decided to like offer it to two actors and they had to keep you know, they probably went back to the writer and said both these parts have to be equal. You can't end, yeah, and they ended up cramming way too many different plots into you know, it's like, oh, we gotta have a dance to accommodate the fact that Jason could sing a dance. We got to have a basketball game because we have to have a big and it's like just way too much going on. I have to.
Speaker 1: Say you, you might not have liked your performance, and we're always the most critical of ourselves, but.
Speaker 2: None of the acting was terrible. No, especially for when it.
Speaker 1: Was It's exactly nineties acting, and it was good nineties kids acting like that.
Speaker 2: It was not bad. And I think if you're a kid and you're a teenager, an eleven year old or whatever watching this movie on you know, a Thursday night or whenever I heard, it has all the ingredients like it has you want, and like, I think people have nostalgia for this movie, like they don't really remember the storyline. They just remember like, oh, that's right, that guy uses a computer to hack this.
Speaker 1: Big basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that kind of it is.
Speaker 1: It's a kind of fun. I mean when you pick it apart, Yes, the story makes no sense.
Speaker 2: You don't know who to who to root for. Some of the people are kind.
Speaker 1: Of awful, but the acting great, you know, the rompy basketball get great.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is what it is. You know, it's it's a camp hijinks movie. So it was just a weird one.
Speaker 3: Well, next week, one of our favorite guests and very good sport Natanya Ross, will return to watch Munchie strikes.
Speaker 2: Back with all of us.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see that writer.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being such a good sport. No, definitely I.
Speaker 1: Was.
Speaker 2: It was actually a good revisit. Great. I feel better about the experience about the movie I don't really had. I know, I don't know if I ever really had feelings about the movie, but I definitely feel better, like I have some good memories from this time in my life. So it's good to think back and you know, yeah, good.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets Worldshow at gmail dot com, and we have.
Speaker 2: Merch merch from a rich Kids camp.
Speaker 3: Pod Meets Worldshow dot com. We will see you all next time. Writer send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Will Ferdell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbox producer, Jackie Rodriguez, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. You can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show, or send us an email Podmets World Show at gmail dot com.