Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rut Fresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the Whitetail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts Case Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: The acorns are falling around the country. Food sources seem to be the key in mid to late September. But are you on the right one. This is rut Fresh.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 4: What's going on? Everyone? This is ret Fresh Radio, brought to you by First Light Year. I'm ca C. Smith.
Speaker 2: Tyler Jones is here with me as well. And it's fall, y'all. Some of y'all know. I might not know that, but it's a pretty common terminology used around here because sept Turn twenty second officially sent us into.
Speaker 4: The fall season. If do with that, I didn't know that, yep.
Speaker 2: And so fall you all for those open north, Yes, so fall you all would be How you deconjunct?
Speaker 4: That thing?
Speaker 1: Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: No, it's not a conjunction. What's the call when you put a comment something sounds conjunction?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: I thought conjunctions were ambu or or I'm just wondering what their function is.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot going on in the deer woods right now, and one of the big things is that deer seasons are opening up in a lot of places. You know, there's there's quite a few spots around this country that it just has around the first of October that's the opening day of archery season, and that's a lot of fun for us, and that's where we live too.
Speaker 4: But there's more and more seasons open up around the country, and you go from.
Speaker 2: Having to travel eight to ten hours to find an open season to being able to travel three to four. So it puts a lot of deer hunting in a lot of grasp for a lot of people, which makes it even more intriguing to figure out what's going on around the count tree. And I can tell you this food seems to be the thing. A lot of people this week remarked about food sources and how they're hunting around that. You know, I think people want to focus on sign a lot, and sometimes sign is hard to interpret early season, it's hard to even find it, huh, Tyler.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, it is one thing de you're not traveling that far to get to food sources, usually when it's hot and early, so they're not laying down a bunch of sign on trails, they're not passing by a bunch of trees to rub on. They don't really care to rub a whole lot because they're testosterone is still pretty low. They will hit licking branches here and there, but you won't be able to see the scrapes still in a lot of cases because they don't actually do the palling and peeing part of that whole deal a lot of times. And in fact, a few years ago case found on some public in Illinois found a you know, annually used you know, perennial scrape and it was the it was still open underneath because it had been hit so hard the year before, but it wasn't really being used underneath. It was just being licked on. And we put a truck camera on it and got some video of deer and nothing really scraped until October. So there's just they're just not laying down much sign right now.
Speaker 2: So so finding food is a big deal, and it is the fall And I don't know if it's why it's called that or not, but things start falling from the trees, both leaves and more importantly for us deer hunters, acorns or acorns or is there another way that people say it too auckrons or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I hope not on onions. That's a big thing for a lot of popes that right now.
Speaker 2: And I know around here we were eyes out doing a little TSI on my property yesterday and.
Speaker 5: Is there like, uh, it's not crime scene investigation, but it's like.
Speaker 4: Timber scene investigation. Okay, So.
Speaker 2: There was already some red oak acorns falling. Now they're the wormy acrens, so it's like a false fall, but it's still potentially a food source if the deer are in rough shape. Thankfully, around here we've had just enough rain to increase a little a little bit of some of herbaceous growth. In fact, Greg was with me and he found a beauty berry that had a lot of brows on it. Really uh huh, you know you like to hate on your beauty bearry.
Speaker 5: I hate they eat they're such they're actually really pretty this time of year they are, and they feed the birds well, so they've got uses. But as far as deer deer go, I just don't. I don't see them coming into use a whole lot.
Speaker 2: Well, my dear, the uh but my deer a weird, so you guess some weird Yeah, but I think that's kind of the big thing if especially if you're hunting public land, because often times, even if you're map scouting and looking at a large piece of public and you're looking at like a bed to feed this time of year, a lot of people can look at the same map and figure out, Okay, that's a nag field. I'm gonna set up near that and try to kill those deer if you can go in and interpret.
Speaker 4: Sign if you can find it.
Speaker 2: But even more so where food is in the trees, in the thickets, then you have a chance to actually see a deer in daylight, which is hard this time of year, right, Tyler.
Speaker 4: Yeah, daylight deer, they can be hard this time of year. Wow, what a nice rhyme. I'm a little Limerick today, man.
Speaker 5: I got the rhymes, I got the alliteration and all the stuff going on. Yeah, they can be tough, man. I don't really particularly love this time of year. If the weather's kind of stagnant, but coming up in the next week or so, things will change. But I know, you know a lot of times too, depends on where you're at in the country. Because for us here where we're at, it's still like we got a cold front and I walked outside a second ago and it's still just hot.
Speaker 4: So it is, man.
Speaker 2: There is some some weather systems we've around the country, So we're gonna ask a few folks about that, depending on you know, what's going on out there. We have a hurricane that's brewing in the Gulf that might kind of effect.
Speaker 4: How dear moving around what better?
Speaker 2: Uh, But we're all still looking forward to better days. So I would say just as a general thought, I wasn't get too excited and burn PTO just yet, right, Tyler.
Speaker 4: That's right, man, Yeah, that's right. Well, who we got this week?
Speaker 2: We've got Jeff Danker in Kansas of Buck Ventures. We've got Jeff Altoff in Wisconsin. He killed a giant buck there. He's of Love the Grind TV, Michael Pitt's Real Tree down there in Georgia hunting them Georgia bucks. And then Rob Mendoza of Tethered he's been hunting in Missouri. So let's see what they got to say, all.
Speaker 5: Right, I've got Jeff Danker from Buck Ventures on the phone right now. Jeff has had some success out in Kansas. Jeff, how's it going, Man.
Speaker 4: Oh man, it's good.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 4: We're out here right now.
Speaker 6: And you know, idea is, we've been waiting on this part of the year, this season, all year, and it's finally here, and you know, it's like you're already behind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hear that, dude. We got a rain down here in Texas today that we didn't know was coming. Otherwise I ought to have had some seed on the ground, but it surprised us, and here we go, we're behind.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, I know exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were praying for rain and literally, guys, we got two and a half inches yesterday and we hadn't really had rain since early July out here. So we did get seed in the ground for our fault plots, which you know, we usually try to have them in Labor Day, but this year just closer to October than that night September first.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep, I hear you on that.
Speaker 5: Well, so you shot a door recently and you it is pretty unique experience for you talk about that real week.
Speaker 6: Well, if you when you see the footage, you'll see that I got more excited than a lot of big bucks I've shot. As the first dough I ever shot and filmed myself, and being fifty two, having to wear reader glasses and that kind of stuff, it was pretty I felt pretty proud of myself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I bet man, that's cool. That's cool. Well, that's awesome. What was she doing when when you shore it? Was she coming to fool?
Speaker 6: Well, kind of what we're setting up on some of her farms is just to manage a lot of get some doze off property. And in yea, we were. She was actually on a cut head feed field. It's kind of how I designed this deal, where you come in and just you design it and then cut the head feed and leave some of it put a blind in. So yeah, I was just eating on grain and coming in and just a big mature or dough and that's what I was looking for.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's cool, man.
Speaker 2: So is that going to be kind of the strategy that you employ until the rut gets here?
Speaker 4: Or does think do things kind of shift once you start getting those frosts? Well, I mean I ain't.
Speaker 6: I'm the guy that I'm just steadily moving cameras looking for deer, observing this and that, and I do like going ahead and getting some dose done right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's really become more of my targeting.
Speaker 6: Actually, one farm this year in particular, called the Wooly Grass just to get you know, I want to shoot twenty five dose off of it. I can shoot five and then I'm going to have some buddies do it as well. But you know, I just think that is a strategy that we're really trying to play and keep that buck to dough ratio at least around two and a half three to one.
Speaker 2: You know, you mentioned the drought earlier, and it sounds like you're really working on your herd dynamics. Is the herd pretty healthy out there? Are there any disease is shoes that you're dealing with?
Speaker 6: Well, it actually is, man, I'm not dealt with a lot.
Speaker 7: I hear a lot about it.
Speaker 6: We all do the HD blue tongue whatever. And we found a deer dead here recently at water we've called the Wildlife Department that's had a deformed hoof, watching a couple of other deer that are really sick on camera or the Wildlife Department knows about them, and basically what they try to do is just give the deer every chance it can because you know, at times, I'm like, you know, talking wildlife farms, like, look, do we need to go on and shoot this deer suffering? And they said, well, there's a chance these deer pull out of it. So that's what we're trying to give these deer a fighting chance, and you know, and just hoping that it isn't wide widespread. I just don't know how severe it is, but it definitely is something that keeps me not sleeping good right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I bet man, Well that's unfortunate. I know, with that in your mind, it's tough to look forward a little bit sometimes. But you know, in the next week or so, do you you kind of foresee any changing conditions or anything that might bring some new deer around or give more increased deer movement during daylight.
Speaker 6: Well, so I'm a big I.
Speaker 4: Believe in change.
Speaker 6: I like, I don't you know, people say I just want cold weather. Well I don't think this cold weather does it. We've had a little dropping temperature and we are getting new bucks. But I like it up and down and so that's what I've been looking for, guys, and I ain't getting it.
Speaker 4: We got the change right now, and we got a cooler temperature.
Speaker 6: But if you really watch a barmeter right now, it's not doing a lot. It's just holding when you get past thirty. And so my prediction is if it will get here. I mean, I'm looking ahead the October first, and looks like we're gonna Bromer's gonna get up a little bit and a little more higher pressure, and again we will start to see new bucks.
Speaker 3: More and more.
Speaker 6: But I am so trying to look, you know, every day, just hitting that fifteen day forecast and trying to see if that barometer is gonna move, and it just as a guys, it's going to be you know, it's like twenty nine point seven eight and just holding right there.
Speaker 3: I hear you.
Speaker 5: Well, if you had to put a number on buck movement in the next week, we'll scale of one to ten. What would you say, You.
Speaker 4: Know, that's a loaded question. I'll say this.
Speaker 6: You know a farm that someone's out there, guys, that isn't putting pressure on it, and you know it's in a sense just not being messed with I think you're gonna have some decent buck movement. But just because we do have this change, and you know, it was a hundred and something degrees five six days ago. You know today is a high of sixty six, and it's gonna get back in the eighties. So I do predict that there will be some good buck movement now again, you know, you get on that farm that's been messed with too much and it's just gonna be like anything, and you won't have that buck movement. But I think if someone's doing it right out there, they can look forward to the next week and have some pretty good hunt.
Speaker 4: All right. So scale of one to ten, what do you think.
Speaker 6: Scale of one to ten, I'm gonna probably still be in the six and a half to seven something like that on buck movements.
Speaker 4: I like it. I like it cool.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: Well, I hope that the Lord's blessing is with you this year, man, and I appreciate you coming on and giving us support.
Speaker 4: Jeff, I appreciate you guys as always. This is Jeff Altough with Love the Grind TV.
Speaker 2: Jeff, you've been hunting in Wisconsin, You're headed at Kansas.
Speaker 4: Life is good into your season, man, how are you.
Speaker 8: I'm good, I mean, and I tell you what, it's a little bit, you know, still.
Speaker 7: Riding the high from my Wisconsin hunting has been celebrating for quite a few.
Speaker 8: Days and then a big Kansas buck decided to show up. So I'm riding that high from the upper Midwest down to the plains Midwest right now and hopes of trying to do it again.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you killed a hammer there in Wisconsin, so congratulations on that. And it sounds like to me, at least just from what you just said, that that trail cameras can and probably are a big part of your strategy on that stuff.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're a big part of our strategy, you know, just as much when to hunt, but also you know when not to hunt as well. We you know, we don't have a ton of really big pieces that we have or hunt, so staying out as you know, just as as much, just as important as you.
Speaker 7: Know when to go in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I know it's from the pictures of that big dear that it looked like there were some food plot stuff incorporated. Have you all been working hard with you know, adding food to properties and is that a big part of your strategy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's kind of our m O, right as the preparation that leads into the hunt.
Speaker 7: That way, when an opportunity.
Speaker 8: Like this last week presents itself, you know, we're in a better position to capitalize that specific plot before we get into the actual hunt details and how that came about. You know, just about a half acre you know, big sexy greens brassica plot and then we've got about an acre of corn that we actually use as a screen to be able to get in and out. Obviously it's a food source too, but you know we plant it as really an ability to just get in from where we have.
Speaker 7: To part you know.
Speaker 5: Sure, so and that buck came into that to that plot, I guess, and you were able to shoot him there or were you hunting off the plot.
Speaker 7: Some Well, so it's interesting.
Speaker 8: So that specific day, uh, my camera guy Connor uh and myself we had we had plans to hunt our Minnesota ground that evening and about six thirty in the in the morning, our cameras got tripped and I got pictures of this book exiting the plot on one of our kind of perimeter cameras, and I'm like, well, that's kind of interesting. You know, I know the farm and deer tendancies, and you know, I definitely know that deer. And I'm like, that's interesting the way he's walking at that time, and I just kind of sparked my curiosity.
Speaker 7: I was, I was a little bit slow to the.
Speaker 8: Trigger, but a few minutes went by, and I'm like, I'm gonna pull up my you know on X maps. So I pull them up and I'm like, well, sure as be. This deer is headed into just like a tiny little ditch or a drainage, and you know, he's edit he's heading into the tip of it. And if you think about like a finger for example, he's heading into like the fingernail where if you were to go any further north, it'd be an open, wide, open egg field. And if you would have headed any further west off the finger, it would have been a road. And I'm like, that time of the morning and that caliber deer and how mature he is, I'm like, I think there's a pretty good chance that he vetted up in that drainage ditch, which isn't very big, and especially where he exited that plot, there's not a lot of real estate there. So I actually called, if you know, I did what any other deer hunter does and calls a few buddies in their circle to turn to chat game plans and get opinions. And you know, we came to the conclusion that, hey, there's a pretty good chance this deer just exited this food plot.
Speaker 7: Now keep in mind, this camera is faced to get.
Speaker 8: Deer feeding, you know, head on into the food plot. So to get a deer exiting the food plot on this camera, that's not why that camera was set up. Does that kind of makes sense? So to get the deer exiting the food plot was kind of ironic.
Speaker 7: But you know, we came to the conclusion.
Speaker 8: That, hey, this deer is probably betted in this tiny little drainage less than one hundred yards from where.
Speaker 7: He exited the plot.
Speaker 8: We've got storms rolling in that afternoon, and chances are if he gets up on his feet, he's going to walk exactly, he's going to go into.
Speaker 7: That plot exactly how he exited it.
Speaker 8: And we happened to have a ground blind up in the corn ground level about twenty five yard where he exited that plot. The only issue was we couldn't walk into the plot like we normally do because where we park and the road is right there. I mean, he betted he would have seen us coming in long before we would have ever got to the blind right, and just maturity rear, they know where to bet, how to bed, how to position themselves with the wind.
Speaker 7: All of the things would have went wrong.
Speaker 8: So just having that one picture and looking at the maps allowed us to kind of formulate a secondary access plan. So again looked at our maps and we went, oh, I don't know, about a mile plus all the way around in a wide open eggfield and came around the other side just to be able to try to get into that blind without that year knowing. So we did that, got in clean, and yeh, thunderstorms started rolling in pretty heavy, and we almost actually left because we've seen some lightning and.
Speaker 7: It was rumblin pretty good.
Speaker 8: But managed to stick it out and at about six o'clock.
Speaker 7: Now keep in mind.
Speaker 8: Dark there is probably about seven twenty ishes eagles shooting or you know, end a camera laid so plenty in time.
Speaker 7: About six o'clock I happened to peek out the.
Speaker 8: Blind kind of down in that corner, and I've seen him staring right at us.
Speaker 7: Turns out he was just staring at the blind, not at us.
Speaker 8: But I actually thought we were busted because I happened to peek my head out the blind at the wrong time, you know, and so it's kind of freeze, and I whispered Connor, and I'm like, oh shoot, I think we're busted, like total amateur mood, picking my head out the blind, like put in all this work, all this game plan, and it's over. Well, miraculously, he puts his head down and starts feeding, and I'm like, okay, we're in the chips. Well, I get my ball, get everything situated.
Speaker 7: He's at that time.
Speaker 8: Twenty five yards away, ends up feeding twenty five yards from us, quartering to us for fifteen minutes, just crushing Brassica's putting on a show.
Speaker 7: Super cool.
Speaker 8: And this is all on film, by the way, we got multiple camera angles. He's right there and just just putting on an absolute clinic and it was fun to watch. And I'm like, hey, whether or not I even get a shot off at this deer because I thought he was gonna feed right into the blind. I'm like, whether or not I get a shot off at this deer?
Speaker 7: This is cool? This is a win.
Speaker 8: This is a successful hunting itself. Right, Well, he turns broadside for a split second. I what I thought, capitalized on that drew without him knowing.
Speaker 7: But the second I drew, he faced quartering.
Speaker 8: Back to me, and I'm like, I can't take this shot, not at any deer, let alone a deer that caliber. I was at full draw for a little over three minutes and I'm pulling eighty five pounds, so it was not very comfortable.
Speaker 7: I think I maybe said a few swear.
Speaker 8: Words to the camera, like I can't hold it anymore, you know, expletive expletive.
Speaker 7: Actually ended up letting.
Speaker 8: My boat down and having to redraw and hold it again. And finally he turned just enough where I had about a six inch gap behind his shoulder where I could sneak it into his lungs, and he's twenty five yards away ground level feeding, and I felt really comfortable taking that shot. So I took that shot, and he probably went all seventy or eighty yards and ironically enough, ended up dying in what I feel is the bet that he was in.
Speaker 5: Really, man, how about that? That's incredible, dude. Do you think in the next week, do you think that if you were to hunt in Wisconsin there again, that those Brasicas would still be the thing to do, or would things change in the next week or so.
Speaker 8: Honestly, we've been doing this so we run all sorts of plots. We run our you know, Ryan Old's plots, we run brassicas, we run radishes, we run our.
Speaker 7: Corn or soybeans.
Speaker 8: And what I'll tell you is it's based on the weather, what's around, what you know, farm fields have to offer. That particular spot, soybeans in the area had already yellowed, so they had kind of transitioned to a green food source because it's either you know, natural brows, acorns, et cetera, or it's you know, finding something green or a hayfield.
Speaker 7: Right, it's pretty warm out that day.
Speaker 8: So that particular spot, I think that they're gonna be on Brassica's for a little bit longer, until it gets even colder, and then they're not gonna leave Brasca's, but they're gonna have their choice between you know, soybean pods and Brassica's.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: So with the the concept of maybe a waning moon involved with that, and in still you know, the beans being yellow over the next week, do you do you feel like buck movement is going to be good?
Speaker 4: And then how would you rate it on a scale of one to ten.
Speaker 7: So, honestly, buck movement.
Speaker 8: You know, we've got access to quite a few properties, We're on a lot of cameras, We've planned a lot of plots, so we've got a pretty good sample size.
Speaker 7: And I would say overall deer movement.
Speaker 8: Was really strong in the days leading up in the days following my hunt, overall mature buck movement, I would say I didn't I didn't notice a material difference.
Speaker 7: I think the.
Speaker 8: Hand that we were delts was just how lucky we were to be able to see where he betted.
Speaker 7: You know, take a look.
Speaker 8: At our topography maps, no dear's tendencies know that, hey, that's a mature buck. He's probably not going to go another half mile at first light in the morning in September. So I think I think where he chose to bed is kind of what gave us the advantage of that hunt. But you know, I don't have a lot of other mature bucks, especially that caliber, that are just daylighting right now we're leading up to the hunt, or we're following the hunt, I think I think we got to get to that first true October cold front or you know, get a little closer to win bucks are really really hitting scrapes to see those five and six year old bucks, you know, consistently daylighting, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: So on a scale of one to team, what do you think the next week.
Speaker 8: Will be, I'm gonna put that at about a five or a six for the next week.
Speaker 7: And that's all things considered.
Speaker 8: That's that's weather, that's moon phase, that's you know, overall deer inventory for what I'm looking at, how they're operating, what's happening in egg fields around us, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's still pretty good hunting, especially for septimber Man. So I think that that's that sounds like a great report dude, to really appreciate it, and I hope you find some success out there in Kansas as well.
Speaker 7: Thank your fingers across.
Speaker 8: And if I happen to get an arrow in the deer that I'm hunting tonight, I have a feeling We're going to be doing this again.
Speaker 3: Awesome, dude.
Speaker 2: I've got Michael Pitts. He's been doing some hunting in Georgia with the Real Tree Crew. How you doing, man?
Speaker 3: Doing good? How about y'all?
Speaker 4: We're doing awesome.
Speaker 2: It's cool off a little bit around here, which makes us all think about deer hunting.
Speaker 4: Now. I know you're a kind of.
Speaker 2: More east of where we're at there in Georgia, But have y'all been experiencing some of this cool front?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we've got a cool front actually opening We came in on the fourteenth and opening week was pretty cool, but we've heated back up again and then we got a hurricane coming through. Should be here really towards the end of the Thursday, and temperatures are dropping with it. It looks like temperatures are going to kind of stay low from then to own. Hopefully we'll be out of these heat waves. But it was like ninety three ninety four yesterdays, ninety one today of a high, So we're back in that heat spell. But hopefully it's not gonna last much longer. We'll get that cool weather in here.
Speaker 2: I bet you you know, at least throughout your life, you've had some years where hurricanes definitely kind of affect deer season.
Speaker 4: How do deer react after them? Big storm events like that.
Speaker 9: You know, I've never paid a whole lot of attention to it because they are kind of few and far between. But you know, typically in bed bad weather, a lot of these deer will kind of hunk her down and ride it out. But on the front side and back side of it, it's almost like the deer can sense, you know, bad weather or whatever, and they get on their feet. So lots of times before storm can be some really good good hunting because it's almost like they try to stock up to weather the storm outs.
Speaker 4: So on the front side can be pretty good pits of the acorns falling.
Speaker 9: Yet they're starting right now and that's starting to create a transition. You know, around us it's legal debate, so you know a lot of people run corn piles or protein feed or whatnot around us. And what you'll see during this transition phases, they'll start pullingto these oak bottoms and these acrens and all and actually leaving the other food sources. So we're getting a lot of them starting to drop right now. Squirrels are cutting them down pretty good, and they're starting to drop on their own a little bit right now. So we're about to see a transition for sure as far as the deer movement goes, because they'll be pulling to those acres. That's one of their favorite food sources.
Speaker 7: In my opinion.
Speaker 5: Sure, do you prefer white oaks or red oaks?
Speaker 9: White around us tends to be the ticket. It's like a dessert to them. So I'm always looking for for sure.
Speaker 2: Are the bucks split up from their bachelor groups or are they still running together.
Speaker 9: They're still running together a little bit right now. Of course, about three weeks ago we still had deer and velvet, so you know they're still bachelorred up and not seeing a whole I'm seeing some scrapes, but I think they're more it's not a rut activity scrape. It's more of a communication scrape, I believe. And you're seeing some trees rubbed just from getting the velvet off. There's really no sign of rut activity right now because we're kind of on that pattern with the Midwest where it's the first week in Novemberville, so everything's kind of still bachelorred up and just mainly hammer and seed right now.
Speaker 4: That is, how are you just in your hunts? According those acrens and stuff.
Speaker 9: You're definitely gonna have to pull to the hardwoods to get into them.
Speaker 4: And it's a good isn't a bad thing.
Speaker 9: If you've got a lot of acrons on the ground, it can work against you a little bit because they just kind of get out there and meander and those oak bottoms and they don't follow a really consistent trail. And I've always said in the past, you know, the first two weeks the season are crucial because after those first two weeks, if you don't have a buck on the ground, lots of times just the rut before you see them again, because once they figure out deer seasons in they'll start, you know, going a little bit more nocturnal. We call it the October lull around us based on you know, when our rut is and all. So if you don't get them there in those first two weeks, lots of times it's late October first week in November before you see those mature bucks back out there in daylight.
Speaker 5: So based off the weather and they can just start to drop and that transition that's happening. What do you think buck movement will be like in the next week or two. On a scale of one to ten.
Speaker 9: I'm say buck movement next week is gonna be on the scale of about a six, okay, just because they know seasons in and they're gonna go nocturnal for a little while. They'll be feeding a lot in these oak bottoms, but a lot of it's gonna be done at night, and they kind of go into that.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: I know we're not in October yet, but that October lowl will start in late September.
Speaker 4: Let's just say that I got you. I got you.
Speaker 3: Amazing, man.
Speaker 2: The hunters hit the woods and them there definitely low it up, don't they.
Speaker 9: They figure it out real quick what's going on, and they'll start first pushing more nocturnal.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Cool. So you appreciate the report, man.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you're you're honed in on them, and I know that you'll find a couple of biggings for seasons over.
Speaker 4: So thanks so much.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 9: Well, I've already got one in the bag.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that or did you kill that, dear? I killed it in Harris County, George. How about that? Man? Look at you? Yep.
Speaker 9: So I've only got one more tag left in here here in Georgia, so probably gonna save it towards the rut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hear you, fellow.
Speaker 2: This is Rob Mendoza with Tethered. He's been hunting down in Missouri. Rob, what's up, bro?
Speaker 7: Not much?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Hey, dude?
Speaker 2: Just you know, actually having fomo because I haven't hunted white tail deer yet this year and all these people are getting to go to all these cool states like Missouri and go hunting deer and I'm just living vicariously.
Speaker 4: Man. How's Missouri?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 11: Missouri is always a good time.
Speaker 10: Deer in the truck or no deer this time unfortunately no deer, but for my first six for the season.
Speaker 11: It was just nice to be out in those woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So tell me, are you hunting a lot of agriculture right now?
Speaker 4: Or is the acron's already falling? Or kind of what's what's the play?
Speaker 10: So the spot that I was hunting in Missouri is a farm, but it's not an ag farm. It's got some hayfields. But for the most part this time year, what I'm really keyed in on is the acorns dropping. And it was nice because a lot of them dropped last year, so they were really isolated this year.
Speaker 5: What kind of acorns are you key on on this farm in particular, are white oaks this time of year and then later in the year.
Speaker 10: You know, and they're looking for that late season food source and just kind of picking clean the red.
Speaker 11: Oaks, but this year mostly just focused on white.
Speaker 5: Do those hayfields attract dear? They have stuff in there that deer will feed in they.
Speaker 10: I mean, the deer will go out there and feed, but it's not typically you're not going to get a mature butt going out into the hayfields, not in the area I'm hunting around that time, because there's a lot of pressure from neighboring farms.
Speaker 11: So they typically like the stage up in the woods. And definitely had a little bit different activity.
Speaker 10: Going on last week than I have had in years past.
Speaker 5: So what how do you how do you pick the right oak tree? We get this question a lot.
Speaker 10: Well, I went out there early season to kind of see which trees were going to be dropping. You can kind of tell by how the leaves are sitting, and they just look the limbs look a bit weighted, more weighted down. And then I just go out early morning and I listen. I had a nice breeze kicking off the first day I was there, so I just took a little walk around the property towards areas. Listen, and if I heard stuff dropping, I knew that was gonna be a spot I was going to key on, key in on later in the week.
Speaker 4: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I've never heard anybody say that, but it makes a lot of sense, and it might be one of the hottest tips we've had on here so far.
Speaker 4: So way to go.
Speaker 11: Yeah, call me hot tip Mendoza.
Speaker 4: Really, that's cool.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like you have some history on this property. How much does like historical data play into your moves early season?
Speaker 10: So for early season, I don't have much historical data going on in that area, and I only just started running cameras last year. Before I was always kind of just mobile hunting on public land and maybe throw a camera off while I was in that area for that hunt.
Speaker 11: But this year I came into this.
Speaker 10: Property and I set up a handful of cameras early on, and my tactic was a.
Speaker 11: Lot different than I thought. I thought I was just going.
Speaker 10: To go for the evening hunts for the most part, but what I noticed is there was a lot more midday activity, even on days when it was ninety degrees out, So that's when I put the majority of my focus was being out there just after when I thought they were.
Speaker 11: Going to bed, avoiding those betting.
Speaker 10: Areas, but then getting in between the feed tree and where their betting areas were as long as the wind was right. And it didn't work out every single day as far as see and deer. You know, you can't control the wind, unfortunately, but I was consistently getting bucks hitting this one particular spot anywhere from noon until three o'clock in the afternoon, and also focusing on wind shifts. I had a handful of days where the wind shift in midday, so setting up on that off wind and just hoping to catch them in transition. I did see some immature box, some two three year olds, but not the one that I was.
Speaker 11: Really key on getting after.
Speaker 4: So, Robot, you call yourself a morning person.
Speaker 11: As far as hunting goes, just in life, hmmm, yeah, I got two kids under three years old.
Speaker 10: Man, I'm awake every minute of the day kind of person.
Speaker 2: Good, Okay. So I've heard some people in the past emphasize arriving later in the morning, and sometimes that correlates with people who like to sleep late. And I wanted to just test your honesty a little bit on the later morning thing. But it's sincere, so you'd be up. But it's it's there is really a an emphasis on being there for the midday movement, which is cool, and I've seen the same thing sometimes, especially it seems like this time of year the deer are very much on that like five feed and bed instances throughout the day, you know, so you see that like the two or three daylight movements. And I don't know, man, I don't hardly ever try to capitalize on that midday thing too much, but I think it's interesting that you saw like Bucks doing that while you were there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was pretty surprised by it too, And I don't know if it was just something that was out of the ordinary for this time of year, or if that says how they behaved because I've never ran cameras before, so I was never really up to date on what those Bucks were doing midday on that property. So I'd be interested to test that theory out over here in New York a little bit this season.
Speaker 5: Would you change the way that you hunted if you were back in Missouri this week.
Speaker 11: Yes, I would. I would one hope that I had a different wind.
Speaker 10: The wind was definitely working against me this season or this season, this early season, but I think that I would focus a little bit more on the midday hunt.
Speaker 11: Then I gave it credit for this year.
Speaker 10: I saw that there was something to it, but I wasn't sure if it was just an anomaly. But even since then, my cameras have still been going off midday. I might try to pick a different feed tree.
Speaker 11: I got a little bit.
Speaker 10: Married to the spot that I was at, So I've been told that happens when you're running cameras.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can for sure I got you.
Speaker 5: So in the next week, if you had to rate book movement on a scale of one to ten, what would you think.
Speaker 11: Oh, I put it in a solid six to seven.
Speaker 10: At my spot in southern Missouri, at least if anybody's in that area. The heat honestly doesn't seem to be messing with them all too much.
Speaker 4: It's like almost the South, you know what I mean.
Speaker 11: It's almost the South. I think that's what they call it in the in the books.
Speaker 4: Anyway. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Well, I appreciate the report, man, and I hope that you get them next time. You get down there in Missouri, me too.
Speaker 4: Good luck everybody, man.
Speaker 2: We actually have some fairly optimistic hunters on our hands around here. Yeah, I think that the scoring system is always skewed, if I can be honest, the Midwest six, it is Midwest sixty, but it's almost like country wide six at this point in time.
Speaker 4: Country must be country wide, you know what I'm saying. Come on, So no cover route intended.
Speaker 2: I just don't feel as if it's a six compared to a November six. Maybe it's a six for the last week of September, you know what I mean. We should be more clarified on our our scale system. But yeah, that might be true, might be a little bit more explanatory with exactly what we're defining here. But if even if it is just for the week of September, a six is pretty good for last week of September, you know. So, uh, you should be optimistic. Don't take time off. But if you already got it, or you already got a deer, you got patterns. Get after him this week. Speaking of getting after it, Tyler Jones is an adventurous sort, and he went up to North Dakota Chase Bucks around up there, spend a little time in the.
Speaker 4: Mud and the kayak, and.
Speaker 5: The more you in the tree and what not to do, the better you get it something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you got you were on the bucks either way, I guess.
Speaker 2: So if you want to go watch that adventure, it's on the Element YouTube channel. We'll put a link below, as well as a link to Tony Peterson's most recent article. It's about blood trailing deer, and I'll get you the title here. Three blood trailing mistakes that could cost you a buck. You don't want to lose a buck, so go read Tony's article about that. He knows a thing or two about tracking deer. Guys, I appreciate you all listening. We're getting towards the best part of the year. It's coming soon.
Speaker 4: Be ready.
Speaker 2: Listen to these reports, make some good decisions, and remember this has been rough.
Speaker 4: Fresh, keep it fresh.
Speaker 8: S