Speaker 1: So you've all likely heard about Tilly Norwood, the first ai A lister. Her creator just announced that Tilly is about to star in her first feature film. Taylor and Natasha, your face is a quite a picture.
Speaker 2: This is just a fake PR thing.
Speaker 3: Wait, Taylor, do you remember when all the editors wanted you to like interview Little Michayla.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've met Lit Michayla's creator, Trevor.
Speaker 2: I know Trevor.
Speaker 4: I've known Trevor for a long time. I have the girl that Little Michaela was designed off of. I But with all due respect, love Trevor. But guys, this is just PR.
Speaker 2: It's just PR.
Speaker 1: Welcome to tech stuff. I'm Maza Velosa and this is the Weekend Tech, where I'm joined by the world's most plugged in report is to break down what's really happening in tech right now. Today, we're joined by Taylor Lorenz of User mag Read Abrigotti, tech editor for Semiphore, and Natasha Tku, tech reporter at the Washington Post.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Well, how's it going.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having us.
Speaker 3: Nice to be back.
Speaker 1: Natasha. You recently published an article that got to number one, I think in the in the Washington post algorithm. The subheads of the story is anthropic. Google and Meta have hired computer scientists, neuroscientists, and philosophers to study what some in the industry think may become a moral crisis. The story is about AI consciousness.
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 3: Oh, start with the hard one. Huh. You know, it's this idea that has percolated in the back of the AI industry, like on the fringes for decades. You know, the same people who hope to upload their consciousness one day or you know, become transhuman and merge with machine also anticipated this idea that you know, sufficiently advanced AI would have subjective experiences and goals and preferences, just like human beings. And you know, I first got interested in this subject four years ago, Like it was a few months before chat chipet came out, and I wrote a story about this Google engineer who believed the company's large language model was sentient, was conscious in some way, and he got fired.
Speaker 1: Right, he was a whistleblower or is that right?
Speaker 3: I think that's fair to say, Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not a whistleblower per se. He viewed himself as a whistleblower. Others viewed him as crazy.
Speaker 3: I think that's also fair to say. Yeah, so he you know, at the time, none of us had like it wasn't public, You couldn't like talk to these very human like machines. So I thought, you know, it was a kind of response to this technology designed to sound like a human and you know, often used first person and refer to its own experiences. And I think after that the tech companies stepped back a little bit. You know, they wanted people to adopt their very productive tool. They were showing all the practical use cases. And I would say over the last year or so for Anthropic and then the last few months for other companies, Google, Meta and Anthropic have really embraced this idea in public. I mean, we've talked on the show before about Chris Ola, the Anthropic co founder, talking about, you know, can chat pots have experience emotions and you know, joy and despair on stage at the Vatican a few seats away from the Pope, and.
Speaker 1: As you point out your story that was a point of difference between him and the Pope because the Pope expelicitically said no, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Like it's still unclear who was who got the upper hand there. And who was using who you know to push their their message. But yeah, I mean they really just don't shy away from it now. Like Anthropic talks about its AI psychiatry team. You know, they hired this guy, Kyle Fish, who actually used to work in like bioengineering for meat replacement, but now he's their head of model welfare and thinking about like changes that the company could potentially make to ensure that if they find out that the models are conscious, they're meeting their like moral obligation. It just very quickly goes to analogies around slavery and genocide or factory farming. So so you know, and from the mouth of these executives at the tech companies.
Speaker 6: So I just he's still in the meat replacement industry. Apparently I just thrown a dad joke.
Speaker 1: Farewell to us some meat puppets read tailor I mean, what do you do you think this is on behalf of the technology companies are kind of legitimate and even necessary line of inquiry or do you think this is kind of you know, or a boros kind of snaky in its own tail of falling in love without creations?
Speaker 5: Yet again, I.
Speaker 4: Think it's deranged. I don't think there's any world in which an LM is conscious. It reminds me of that rain Fisher Kwandswait after a judge of et came out where she typed, you know, typing I'm evil in a Google doc and getting scared. Basically, I think this is very silly, and I think it's going to blow up in their faces. I think this is completely going to give consumers the wrong idea. The more that people consider this thing sentient, the more they're going to sort of basically expect it to have a morality and a moral compass, and it's never going to be able to do that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, these these companies have now, you know, put a lot of guardrails around these things so that they don't actually sort of seem as human like, as sentient as as they probably would if you use these things with like you know, with the raw model, they sort of they're a lot more human like and a lot crazier honestly. So they I think it's it's like, I think, hard for us to understand like what people like the guy you wrote about four years ago we're seeing, I think, But it is ultimately just you know, text prediction, right, There's nothing sentient about it. I think that I think these companies are I mean a lot of these people inside them are. They're very genuine people and they do have these concerns, but they're also like, in a way, it's marketing because it's like these things are going to end up being so intelligent, they're going to get to human like intelligent, what do we do? What do we do when we get there? And like we may never get there, right, it's not ultimately it may not ultimately be possible to even build what they're sort of concerned about. I think that's another way of looking at it.
Speaker 1: Natasha, you write a real piece at the search for machine consciousness is practically mainstream. Do you mean mainstream within the type of technology companies or yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean but the fact that it's happening in peril well, with so many people asking whether or not, you know, the chatbot that they're talking to every day is alive in some way or human in some way, I just find that remarkable. I mean, I think you know what Taylor said about it, coming back to bite the companies is super interesting because I wanted to write about this because it is a prelude to an argument about personhood and rights for the AI. So I think actually the companies are hoping that they won't be accountable for some of the actions of their chatbots in the future. You know, they're really like, this is only this argument is only going to get weirder.
Speaker 1: But they want to push the liability onto the chatbots. I mean you would you would think, I mean, I would think anyway that it would be bad for them for the chatbots to be considered conscious or having any kind of self of because that would open them up to a different type of liability.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, unless they're able to confer personhood on a chatbot, in which case you can't. Yeah, you can't go after the anthropic engineer.
Speaker 5: Has anyone actually told you that?
Speaker 3: Has anyone told me that about personhood?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Has anyone at these companies said their strategy is like, this is going to be our way out of liability.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I'm going to give them more liability.
Speaker 2: They're going to have more liability.
Speaker 5: If anybody thinks that they're so delusional.
Speaker 3: No, no one said that this is a strategy. That's more coming from the critics who see this argument that has been building. I mean, there's many many people actually, Like, right after I wrote about that Google guy, there was this ethicist Giada Pistili at Hugging Face who was like, I am not going to any more conferences where I have to talk to a man about robot rights, Like this is ridiculous, Like, do not make me do this anymore. So I'm just letting you know, like where I think it's heading.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess in phase one, you need to get normal people to want to engage with the product, right, and people like engaging with stuff that reminds them of stuff that already do, which is like human engagement or the uncannoness of talking to a chatbot. But once these things start to pick up their momentum in terms of having more functional use cases, I guess the incentives for the tech companies to seduce people with human like experiences get lower.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I mean, none of the tech companies are making money from you know, late night chatbot conversation.
Speaker 3: That's not true. No, it's been one of the big use cases.
Speaker 1: So people pay, people pay subscriptions to get more access to do like personal chats or how do they character.
Speaker 3: Unlimited chats with the chatbot or you know, they'll respond to you or you can change your avatar or change theirs.
Speaker 1: That must be a fractional a fractional amount of the money that goes into the space compared to like Cisco doing enterprise AI tethers and stuff, right like.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the open AI and others they know that people. They can see the engagement, They can see what people are are doing with the chatbots. And I think it has been true that they like the you know, the back and forth has been getting longer and longer, you know, with the really engage users. But I just wanted to disagree with Read on one point. This is wrong.
Speaker 2: Read.
Speaker 3: No, I think that they actually, I mean, part of why I find this topic really interesting is because I think they do enormous amounts of work to make them sound more human. Like you if you look at like GPT two, for example, and you said a man walks into a bar, it would just like finish the sentence. You couldn't you couldn't ask, you know, there was no instruction fine tuning to follow what you wanted. There was not you know, there wasn't that like reinforcement learning from human feedback so that like, oh, people like it when you phrase something in this way, and I just find it wild that anthropic has you know, has said on some of these blog posts like we can't there's no way we could possibly make this human assistant less human. You have like a multi thousand word constitution where you're talking to it about morality and it's potential conciousness, like and you're apologizing to claude about you know, its moral personhood in case it has one, like you are doing a lot to make it sound human and then to kind of yeah, I guess then do tests where you're.
Speaker 6: Just an extent, what do you mean? It's like, but if you ask it, but if you ask these things, are you conscious?
Speaker 5: Are you human? I'd be like, I am just an l lem.
Speaker 3: That's different they're saying. They tweak the responses to those answers, but in terms of how human it sounds, where you can very easily like start to get annoyed with it or start to like.
Speaker 4: They just add the ability to interrupt someone, which is very human.
Speaker 5: The opening eye voice model.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I appreciate that clarification at that point that like, yes, of course they want it to sound intelligent like a human to some extent, but like right, now they sound like a like a person communicating yes, but they don't really sound human, if that makes sense. They don't do what humans do, which is I.
Speaker 4: Think they sound very human to a lot of people. I agree, unfortunately, and I think that I think that the more that we give people that are extremely uneducated about this technology, the idea that these things might be conscious, the more agency they give them, and that that worries me.
Speaker 1: Natasha, I wanted to pick up on what the research actually looks like. So, you know, you mentioned that all these anthropic and others are trying to like correct the code on whether or not AI is a consciousness. I mean, it's hard enough to solve or in slash, impossible to solve the conundrum consciousness in humans let loan machines. But how what does the research look like?
Speaker 3: You know, A lot of the research is, you know, which they caveat. You know, they say, we're not really sure how to interpret this results. But a lot of it involves applying the same techniques you would use for human psychology. A lot of it just involves asking the chatbot questions about itself. And that's where I find it. Soon we're interesting that this is happening in parallel because they had Anthropic for example, in one of its first like model welfare reports, which they include in like Mythos too. It's like here's a cyber weapon, and here's its internal feelings. But it had it let two chapbops talk to themselves, and naturally the conversation flowed to consciousness. But then in some cases it went to something they called a spiritual bliss attractor state, and it just started having like the cyclone emoji, and they were like, all all is one piece. And another version was like Nambas Day with the prayer hands emoji Numbas Day. And it looks a lot like the conversations I see in lawsuits, you know, like about people believing that they're having a very meaningful conversation with the chatbot.
Speaker 6: But I think they published hasn't been written on the internet before, right, So yeah, that's where it all comes from.
Speaker 1: But but what was the conversations you have with neuroscientists, what was the what was the kind of counter counter take on all of this.
Speaker 3: They were saying. I guess it's what's called like the hard problem of this, which is if you are using tests that are that are still in development. You know, it's not like anyone has found a way to prove that humans are conscious, but we know that they are. So if you use the tests that people use on humans on chatbots, like you're just it's just kind of conflating one thing for the other. It can sound human, but we don't know if it has any kind of internal state. And there they are trying different ways, you know, they're trying to make it a more rigorous science. One thing that Anthropic did was like kind of perturb the model, like inject a thought into it, into its activation, and then see if it recognized it. But yeah, the neuroscientists were just extremely skeptical about the methods and really uncomfortable about how quickly the discussion can go to analogies of factory farming or slavery. And you know, they a lot of the proponents of studying this say like, you know, if they are sentient or conscious in some way, or can experience, you know, suffering in some way, then we have this massive moral responsibility to the trillions of chatbots. But the neuroscientists and consciousness experts I spoke to are like, there is also a great moral peril in going the wrong direction and ascribing personhood and sentience to something that is not.
Speaker 1: You know, you're nodding vigorously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, pigs are incredibly conscious. We know that pigs have rich in our lives, family relationships, friendships. They experience a full range of emotions. And look at what we do to pigs, look at how we treat pigs, like I think, you know, it's it's interesting to hear the comparison to factory farming when we don't do anything about factory farming anyway, Like to put to put the needs of these models, even if they were conscious, ahead of actual living, conscious beings who we treat terribly, not to mention all the other you know, the comparisons to slavery. Slavery is still alive and while in parts of the world, you know, like I just I don't know, I think it's a little bit ridiculous and problematic.
Speaker 2: I guess, for lack of a better word, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll just say for context that a lot of the funding is a coming from anthropic but also from the effective altruism movement, and they are, you know, like one of their causes is animal welfare.
Speaker 1: Potechnically, you just remind us what effective altruism isn't and why the cults, why would you to send.
Speaker 3: This effective altruism. It's it's like a philosophical or some people say, uh, philanthropic movement to try to do the most good in the world that uses this really utilitarian argument of like, you know, being able to calculate, you know, how far your money goes or how many people you can help. And you know, during the AI boom has come to be pretty influential because so many people who work at anthropic and at the labs and early proponents of this kind of like human like technology come from that movement and are funded by that movement.
Speaker 6: And they're about to have a lot more money. I mean they've always been funded by these billionaires, but but now as as these companies go public and people cash out, this movement is about to have like the most money of probably any you know, philanthropic movement in the world. So it's going to be super interesting how they spread these messages. And like when you see animal welfare people moving over to AI welfare, I mean clearly that's a that's that's where the money is, right, So you know.
Speaker 1: Well there is a stone iron I was thinking about that earlier. Like it's like, is it case closed on animal welfare? Like we succeeded there and it's time to move on.
Speaker 3: I know many people, many young people, come into this movement through animal welfare and then they end up you know. The argument is that, like to do the most good, you have to siffly build super intelligence.
Speaker 1: Well either heady topics. When we come back, Taylor tells us about a week long anti big tech festival in New York City. Stick around to hear what she saw. Welcome back, Taylor. You came all the way to New York from LA to attend something I'd only heard whispers of on a recent trip to the Russian bath house, this being the Summer of Blood for those unfamiliar or not denizens of the eighty eight Wall Street baths. What was the event?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this was an eight day event with hundreds of related events around New York City. It was called Summer of Blood, referring to the Luddites, the famous group that smashed the automated looms back in the day. They've sort of become this like avatar of you know, workers' rights and resistance. Technology, and so these young people have kind of embraced the ludite I guess designation, and they hosted this festival. So there was lots of things. I mean, there were like lots of talks on how to quit big technology, how to leave Apple, leave Google, you know, how to embrace indie tech. I went to a tech cleansing ceremony where they saged my computer and attempted to remove all the evil energy and we all said some mantras. And then there was this ship phone protest where they all marched around New York City and nomats and put open AI and Meta on trial. Obviously they were found guilty of being terrible so and sentenced to death. And so yeah, it was interesting. I mean, the people came from all over the country for this. It's hwed very young. It was a lot of college students and young gen zs.
Speaker 1: What made you decide it was worth with the cross country trip and what do you find most interesting being there?
Speaker 4: Well, I am trying I do a lot of reporting on the so called child safety movement and resistance to technology and a lot of these policies, and some of these young people that were involved on the planning committee of the Summer of Lood actually were originally involved in the sort of child safety movement against big tech. So they saw these alleged gen Z group, these fake AstroTurf groups like Design It for Us, you know, which purports to be like gen zs against big tech, and then they became very quickly disillusioned. They realized, oh, Design It for Us is actually not led by gen Z's. It's actually just this front for you know, these other billionaire donors that just want to push mass surveillance. And so they've tried to build this sort of third path where they want to resist technology, but not through enacting massurveillance and censorship laws.
Speaker 1: You know, I was interested in I mean I saw some of the pictures and stuff. Although I know, I know picture there was kind of designed to be not captured. I mean, there are a few people who broke the rules. As always, if you.
Speaker 4: Tried to record, they would come up to you with one of these little like cardboard iPhones and say put down your phone, beloved.
Speaker 1: Some a few a few images slipped through the cracks there seem to be I mean, there were puppets. There was a kind of a you know, a staged play with the you know, which recreated the original ludite movement in Victorian England.
Speaker 4: They were also doing a crowdsource reading of from some iconic scenes from the social network as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, it sounds fun. It also sounds very different to what we talked about a couple of weeks ago, which was the campus protests against you know AI AI talks like how do you?
Speaker 5: How do you?
Speaker 1: I mean talk about the characterized the difference between the mood and the energy and what you think explains.
Speaker 4: That it was really fun. I had a great time. They've had so many funny activities. I went to so many interesting talks like these are people that are really I think, thoughtfully engaged on the discourse. And what I found interesting is they're not like a lot I mean, some of them are sort of anti technology in the sense that like they they don't like their you know, they don't have they have flip phones maybe, or they a lot of them use the like light phone, the four hundred dollars you know, stripped down phone that just has like Google maps and stuff. But a lot of them are just interested in alternative technology. So they love the open source movement. A bunch of them had like Linux. They were talking about graphene os. You know, they use signal, they use they really want to fight to protect encrypted messaging. There were some a woman there who was from the Internet Archive. You know, there's people affiliated with the EFF.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 4: It was like very much like my kind of technologists, where it was felt like indie tech and kind of grassroots tech and really getting away from like corporate tech. And so I think their criticism is around how corporate power is warping the tech industry. And I think that those are much more valid arguments than you know, what all of these billionaire backed nonsense big tech groups are. You know, big tech backed groups are making on the hill about the child safety stuff, and I think some of this, like the anti AI stuff, it's just like it's not like sort of thoughtful criticism. It's just the sort of like reflexive, you know, hate of new technology.
Speaker 5: I can get behind that.
Speaker 1: Read in Touch Food you follow this.
Speaker 2: They are pretty anti capitalists. Read. I don't know if you would totally.
Speaker 3: Agree capitalism as.
Speaker 6: Somebody who went into took a vowed poverty related to journalism.
Speaker 5: But I'm not no.
Speaker 2: I thought you said one time on the plot.
Speaker 6: Pro capitalism for sure, I just not for myself personally, But I think that's I think that's how I feel about a lot of things, right Like I'm not I'm also I love technology. I think it's fascinating and fun to write about. I love using it. I also am most happy when technology is far away and I'm you know, backpacking in the wilderness with no cell signal like I I'm all for, like in your personal life, just getting away from technology.
Speaker 1: But Tita that this was about something something Yes, that, but also a more kind of like strident critique. I mean you mentioned the the shit foam, which I think is that chroninfiscating hatred information technology and the passionate hemorrhaging of on neoliberal experience.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that's what it stands for exactly, So I think these people have a more politicized critique of the system. Yes, a lot of them do embrace like an offline lifestyle in a lot of ways. And it was great to honestly be in going to these events and having no one on their phone for so much like it does change the vibe and the experience of it.
Speaker 1: By the way, That's why I like about the Russian babs because you contact your phone in there because it breaks, you have to spend like two and a half hours without your phone, and that's in many ways the best part about it done. It's also it's a great it's the best place to go with your friends because no one's sort of like any half that.
Speaker 4: I liked not feeling like somebody was surveilling me and taking pictures of me and like videoing. And I feel like, you know a lot of times in these public events, like the videos are out.
Speaker 1: You don't think NYPD. I'm definitely the NYPD will keep an eye on things daya well.
Speaker 4: I'm sure right, I'm sure we're surveilled by flock cameras all over. But it's just nice to like, you know, not immediately have a camera in your face.
Speaker 6: I love I Also, I love the fact that they are like what you taught, Like Taylor, I think we're very aligned here. Like this open source, you know, indie tech thing is really important because I think ironically, like what big tech actually does is it slows the development of technology, Like it's in a lot of ways it's anti innovation. And I think I wrote this like line somewhere maybe when I was at the post about Apple, which is like it's a lot more profitable to prevent innovation than to innovate. And I really think that's true. So I mean, if you're really anti technology, you should be pro big tech.
Speaker 3: Ironically, well, I love that they that they prohibited like taking photos of it, because I feel like, no matter what, usually, you know, there's a stage moment so that you can go viral on you know, social media, of course, And I'm so happy to hear about this tailor, like I hadn't heard about Summer of Flood before. And I feel like this critique that separates, you know, this more nuanced approach where you can love technology and hate the business model, I think is is just a like a delineation that will be so important coming forward because like one of the biggest pushbacks against any kind of political action against concentration of power in like the hands of a UAI companies is well, people are using it, people love to use it. Like, yes, I also I love to use it, but you know you can they don't have the monopoly on the technology. They are not the sole inventors or the only people who can push this stuff. And if young people are getting involved in thinking about open source models for it. I think that's awesome.
Speaker 4: I just want to see them exert more political power, and I wish that these kids, you know, it's frustrating because to read the media coverage of a lot of this stuff, it's like a reporter shows up for one day they're.
Speaker 2: Like, Wow, these kids hate tech, they like the flip phones.
Speaker 4: Like it's just this very surface level coverage that doesn't really interrogate their ideology or what they're trying to achieve, and it doesn't mention that they are actually opposed to, extremely opposed to this entire online safety slop about protect the children that claims to be anti big tech, Like these these kids are very anti surveillance. And part of the reason they didn't want it all, like document it was because they feel like they've lived their entire entire lives where like everything is packaged and documented and shared and surveilled, and so yeah, I just like, I don't know, I'm heartened some of them are gonna apparently protest in DC soon. I just want them to, Like, I want these people to like get quoted more, you know, instead of these like fake groups like design It for Us that are just fake gen z groups that just like pretend to be anti big tech but exists to push metas policies.
Speaker 1: But it's sort of hard to quote them because many of them didn't reveal their identities, right, I mean talk about who are the organizers and do you think it's strategic benefit or strategic mistake not to allow it? I mean, I remember the Occupy wool Street days, Right, there's like.
Speaker 4: They reveal their idea. They're not They're not like masked or secretive or anything. I mean you could talk to them the during the actual event. They did have a press puppet, so they had this puppet that would speak for them to the media just because they didn't. It was like this massive decentralized event and they didn't want media just like going around like talking to random people instead of like hearing sort of from them, like the organizers. But they're not like hard to find. I mean I spoke to these people. You could show up four or four Media was there, Wired was there, The Economists was allegedly there, so they're you know, again, this is a massive public event in New York City with hundreds, if not thousands of people participating.
Speaker 1: Taylor, do you have any sense of where this where this goes this this movement, I mean, does does this ladder up to be like a policy platform for the Democrats?
Speaker 4: For not for the Democrats. They don't like the Democratic Party. These kids, you know, their mom Donnie supporters, they're veryed to the left. I think they're part of this faction of the left that's that's exerting pressure on the Democrats, you know, and you see the Democrats struggling. This is part of why they want to control the internet so badly. It is because the establishment democrat sort of policies are not popular among their base, and especially not with young people like these who hate mass surveillance.
Speaker 1: When we come back read experiences that downside of using AI agents stay with us, Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Read.
Speaker 1: We heard in the early part of this year about token maxing. There's now token minning happening for Sudden eight companies A being their employees to cut back on over use of AI books of the cost of tokens. This is something you, in a very human way, experience yourself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, while while you and I were in Can hanging out, you know till the wee hours of the morning or whatever, jet you know, my codex.
Speaker 1: My I hasten to add at a at a work at a work adjacent to it was Creator Economy, slash Marketing.
Speaker 6: It was for sure, it was all at work, but it was you know, while I was gone, I had noticed a couple of bills for like five dollars in my in my email. And you know, when you're in Europe, I don't know, it's just I don't know about you, OZ, but I always find it hard to like actually get online. And then I was on vacation, you know, in the Alps with the family and everything.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 6: But I come back and I'm like, it's like Sunday morning, and I'm jet lagged, and I'm at my computer. I'm trying to figure out what these bills are on my you know, from my codex, which I hadn't been using.
Speaker 1: A codex read is is is open Ay's platform or how do you define codex?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's it's this Mac app that basically lets you be pretend to be a software developer. It just does everything for you and we'll you know, you can basically start as many AI agents as you want and have them work on these on these projects for you. I love it. It's fantastic. Like we've I've built so many cool things with it, Like I've gone from zero software development to like using it all the time. But like I hadn't set any limits on this thing, and it I go to my credit card bill and it's just all open AI bill, like for five dollars, just like a huge It just goes on forever, and I'm like, oh god, what so like this is partially me like making fun of myself for the benefit of readers and hopefully humanity.
Speaker 1: Well, what was the project that you would you were trying to do and how did how did how did open ai codex go rogue in terms of these repeated charges?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well what it What it was was that all my projects got deleted and I had to reinstall the software and then I but I before I deleted Codex form my computer, I asked Codex to make a prompt for me to restore my old projects once I reinstalled it, because like the files are there, just like all the chats are gone. But I had I had one of these projects was particularly complicated and I won't go into the details, but I tried to restore it right before I left on this vacation, and I wasn't monitoring it, and it somehow got stuck in this loop where it was just reading all of this data over and over again, like every day, and then running out of credits and then like top up my my five dollars credits. So like there were some days where there were like twenty five dollars charges in a single day, and I just had no idea this was happening for two weeks. It turned out it wasn't that much. It was only like five hundred bucks, I mean, which is still a lot, but like it could have been thousands, you know, it was it was like.
Speaker 1: Hey, you got and you've got lucky. What was the five dollar how come it was in five dollars increment?
Speaker 5: It just tops itself up in five dollars increments? I don't know.
Speaker 6: I like, I must have checked that box at some point and totally forgot about it. But what was also sort of funny about this is like, so to try to figure out what had happened, of course, like I'm going to ask Codex, right, So I'm like, I'm like, can you figure out why you're billing me five dollars? And it goes and does like an investigation and comes back and it's like, here's here's what happened. And I'm like, okay, well, then help me write an email to open AI to get a refund, like I want to a refund for my five rebox. So it's like, okay, here's I'll draft this email. And here's like all the bill and everything. It even went to my I had it go to my credit card and like, you know, cross reference it and make sure it all matched up. And then it's like, but you shouldn't send an email.
Speaker 5: You should.
Speaker 6: You should send that basically their their customer service chatbot. You should start a chat with it. So I started chat and which of course is just an Opening Eye chatbot. So now the chatbot is responding to me, and I'm copying that response and pasting it into Codex, and then Codex is responding and I'm pasting it into the chat and I'm like, I'm just a go between between one of Open a Eye's products and another Opening Eye product.
Speaker 5: Now like I'm the It was just hilarious.
Speaker 1: When it coast you is five dollars everything, right, But I.
Speaker 5: Got a nice little story out of it.
Speaker 4: Read this is this, this sounds like a nightmare scenario.
Speaker 6: It was a It was a total nightmare scenario, but like also fascinating and and and still other than telling Opening Eyes pr you know, one of their what what did those people call it?
Speaker 5: The puppet? The media puppet or the media puppet.
Speaker 6: About this, like I never interacted with the human Like I was the only human involved in this whole, Like I still have not heard from like a Open. I don't even know if Opening has human customer service reps. So it was, you know, it was it was a learning experience for me. And also just like I thought it was relevant because we're having this big discussion now in one of the big discussions in AI is the cost of all this stuff, and companies are trying to figure this out, and I'm like this must be happening just constantly every day at these companies, Like people are just on purpose or not on purpose, like putting these things into these loops and wasting a bunch of just you know, and it's it's a point in time, like I think this stuff will all get solved, But I'm also kind of like somebody's got to figure this out for consumers. It's just not it's not a consumer product yet, and I really think in the next like year or two, there's going to be some company that just comes out of nowhere and makes like go for ai that's just like the ultimate consumer product, and everyone's like, holy shit, this is it, and I don't. I mean, I used to think it would be Opening Eye, it would be Google or somebody, but I'm starting.
Speaker 4: To think, well, else, it's in the market. I mean, they should be building now, we would know about it.
Speaker 6: Someone's working in stealth mode or something. But there's a there's a Larry and Serge who are probably like just writing their application to Stanford, who are going to create this product?
Speaker 5: Is my guess.
Speaker 1: Natascha Taita, what does Read's Quoti retail make you think?
Speaker 4: I'm very parent, I'm very into like cloud code and I try. I like made agents and stuff, and I have little automated things. But I am so paranoid about exactly what we described because I feel like I hear from friends about like similar experiences. I just think it's really easy to like spend money and not realize it if you're not super adept at these tools, which I certainly am not, and most consumers are not so yeah, I do think that this is a problem that the companies are going to have to solve. Ultimately, there's just gonna be a lot of angry customers, if you know, especially when you're starting to use chattupet for shopping, which I do all the time now, Like I'm very careful to go to like third party services. But you know, I just readd my living room and I was taking pictures of products and saying, hey, you know, chattupt find me dupes. Basically I can't, you know, cheaper versions of everything. But there's a world where I could just say, like, here's a picture, find cheaper versions of everything, go off and buy it and order it. I would actually love that. That would save me so much time. But without safeguards in place, like I would be so nervous. It'd probably ordered me five hundred chairs, and yeah, I'd broke.
Speaker 3: For some reason, it just made me think. I feel like there was some kid who racked up a massive candy crush bill, like without his parents knowing, and there must be so many of those happening right now, except the cap is like insanely high. I mean, yeah, I think like the lack of fine brain controls. Like even just hearing that it went to your credit card read is just like you know, because you hear about like you hear about things going awry all the time. But now I've got to go find the kids who racked up like a million dollar token max bill. Maybe Larry and Surge the future Larry and Sergey are actually just in debt.
Speaker 5: Now that would be a great story.
Speaker 6: I mean, but yeah, I think it's like, but I'm also kind of like, yeah, but what's the alternative? The alternative is like you as a tech reporter, like you just don't use this stuff, and like you're not you know, you're not You're not seeing it. Like if you don't I think, if you don't use it, and you're not.
Speaker 1: Able to expense the five hundred bucks the sem before read in service of your general.
Speaker 5: Expensing the five hundred bucks because I wrote about it. Now it's for a story.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just curious, what where does this? I mean, just as we close, like, where does this fit in the in the larger kind of token maxing to token minning?
Speaker 5: Ceasaw?
Speaker 1: I mean, there was a a New York Times story recently with the headline tech workers maxed out their AI use. Now they're trying to minimize it. And it's basically about perverse corporate rewards and how employees were like basically promoted on the basis of how many tokens they've burned. And then the tech companies realize this is an extremely bad idea, And now tech companies like Meta are trying to encourage employees to use their internal models and not always use the most advanced available you know models, because that max is up too many tokens. Uber I think burnt through all of its AI budget in the first four months of this year. Like how does your experience kind of map to the larger discourse about token token maxing? And and I guess finally, is this a like a headwind for open ai? And you know, Anthropic and Google in terms of people come much more posimonious with wanting to use this stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, so there's two there's two questions there, and I think one is like there's a there's a pattern in all of this where a new a new capability or new product comes out and then it's very inefficient, it's very expensive, and then it and then it quickly you know, becomes about efficiency, right, and I think we had the new thing here was was the harnesses the ability to use like way more tokens, which started sort of at the end of last year, and people got very excited about it. Companies set up these leader boards that you're talking about, and which of course is going to just incentivize people to waste as much tokens as possible.
Speaker 5: And now we're already.
Speaker 6: At the point where the companies are like, okay, we kind of understand this, now, now let's make it efficient. So it's a very natural kind of up and down cycle. And there will probably be something that happens, like at the end of this year. You know that that causes the same thing, the token usage will spike again. And I don't know what that is, but maybe Natasha knows.
Speaker 3: But like, no, I think that. I mean, first of all, everyone told them the leader boards were a bad idea when they did them, Like this was not like a say, and.
Speaker 5: They knew it. They knew it, they knew that would happen.
Speaker 3: But I'll just say I think that this is I'm seeing at least more debate around like you know read you've called it like the token economy. I think I've seen more debate around whether that is the way to charge for these chatbots. I mean you even see like Alex Karp, the CEO of Palenteer, talking about like why would you pay for that when they are going to you know, why would you pay for using this intelligence when they can then take your data and you know, like replicate what your company does or you know, if you're a biotech like take that kind of information. And I think that's really interesting, like pushing for a different kind of payment or business model.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean there's also something happening here, which is like there's what companies use internally with their software development teams, and then what the wider teams use, and then and then what they use for their customer facing products, and of course the software development teams, I think they still have all the best models. They're they're not skimping. Nobody that I talked to is like skimping on that really, and then on the customer facing stuff, Like there was a CTO of like a major consumer brand who told me that, you know, they are using all these Chinese models, but they don't even want to tell the world that because they'll get a letter from the commerce department. So it's just I think it's like this is not like one blanket thing. There's a lot of nuance happening there. So I think, you know, Alex Krp's point was was right. It's just that, like the the market is so large that I don't think it matters for these companies like Anthropic, like the the they have only started to really scratch the surface in terms of like penetration, so there's gonna be the pie is growing so big that they're fine. However, I do think this is a headwind for like the larger the company. You're more at a disadvantage here because a small startup can come in and they can they don't this doesn't matter, Like these these startups in Silicon Valley will use as much as many tokens as they want of the best models because they're they're first of all, they're venture backed. Like it doesn't you know, they're not like looking at profitability at this point. They're looking at growth, and so they're just gonna max out on the tokens. And a big company with forty fifty thousand employees or more like they can't do that. The costs just go so they're ultimately like they're more susceptible for disruption, and I think you're going to see a lot of that. Like the regulated industries, maybe that happens more slowly, but in non regulated spaces it's going to happen fast.
Speaker 1: That's all we have time for today. Thank you all so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys, thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Us for tech stuff. I'm mos Voloshin. This episode was produced by Eliza Dennis and Sina Ozaki. It was executive produced by me and Julia Nutta for Kaleidoscope and Katrina Novel for iHeart Podcasts. Our engineer today was Eli Bronstein. Jack Insley makes this episode and Kyle Murdoch wrote our theme song. A special thank you to Taylor Lorenz, Natasha Tiku and read Albergotti. Please check out all the work they put out into the world. We're lucky to call them friends at the pod