Speaker 1: What type his way up with Angela? He and you know, this is a fun person to talk to. Eric Bellinger is here today. Take your headphones out and stay for a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm chilling.
Speaker 3: Phone.
Speaker 1: You got airphones in Oh I.
Speaker 2: I didn't even realize. You know, you just have them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're just used to it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Do you listen to audio books and things like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, something moving all the time, especially like the little massage music that you'd be like, you know.
Speaker 4: You listen to that.
Speaker 1: Look you need to do one of those type of albums. You're right, because I felt like, yeah, you know, no, I really.
Speaker 2: Do so you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: If you've been around you know you just hear that little I'm beyonest, It's just it just does something.
Speaker 2: To the energy.
Speaker 4: Are you having a good time right now on tour?
Speaker 3: Such a good time. I'm living a dream. This is all the things I pray for.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Really, it's like.
Speaker 1: I feel like you've been, you know, excelling for quite some time though.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's it's like a good gradual slow build, you know what I mean. I know, Wiz Khalif said, you know the quicker you here, the fast you go on. I think that's really the energy in with my okay line, it's just been an amazing steady pace.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get into your new music, because you have an album coming out August twenty first, yes, I want to talk about this list. So Essence is putting out this list of the fifty greatest R and B songs of all time, So every day they're putting out like another ten, So we're only at thirty so far at the time of this interview. From fifty to thirty, so I want to get your thoughts on what you would put on this list and what's already out there. So, okay, at number fifty is Jesse Powell with you like that?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: And I feel like this is such a hard list because I'm thinking about songs that I love and it's so subjective too, you know, And I think R and B has just too many different categories and time periods, like how do you choose? But forty nine was tell me regroove theory. Okay, number forty eight is folded by Kilani and we already said that came out like recent.
Speaker 2: It just came out.
Speaker 3: But I think it's going to be here Forever shout out to all the people that worked on Folded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really good.
Speaker 1: And yeah, And I just feel like that's the type of song. There's certain songs you hear in the first time you hear it, you're like, that's a hit. Yeah, Like even if you don't even realize who it is, that was one of those songs that you're like immediately, that's a hit.
Speaker 3: When I seen it, I was like, Okay, that's annoying. But it was for short warranty.
Speaker 1: Which one of your songs would you put on the list of top fifty crime for you?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: I think crime Friend of You is a timeless, timeless song.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of bangers, but when we were talking about Forever Crime Friend, you Ain't going nowhere, that thing could be in the mix of Motown Temptations and Today's Day in Air two.
Speaker 1: I actually really liked that song and it made me reflect because I'm sure for every woman, they're going to think about the person I'm with. Do I remember a time that he actually cried in front of me? Because I feel like men are programmed not to do that, even for you, you program not to cry in front of anyone, And that's when you know you really trust someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And at first it wasn't a thing that I was like, babe. It was like me trying to sneak off, you know, get to a little cut maybe where I can just let all my emotions, you know, whether it's in a car balcony, in a bedroom and everybody downstairs. But somehow I think her intuition she always just like felty, like where's he at or something, because she would just come behind me and just it's okay, and you know, just rub my back and just be there, not necessarily having the answers, but just having the presence and the comfort for me. So man, after that, I was like, Wow, this is a different safety net that I feel, and I had to make a song about it.
Speaker 1: It's different too, because when someone cries in front of you, you don't know if you're supposed to just let them cry or supposed to be like, what's wrong?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: You know? Are you trying to?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Because I think the problem we have sometimes is somebody's crying and we're trying to like fix it. What can I do when sometimes somebody really just needs to feel safe enough.
Speaker 4: To cry in front of you?
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree, and I wasn't, you know, even looking for anything. So it was dope that she was there because these tears were specifically from losing my mom, you know, and tears of grief. So there is no answer in that case. So I'm glad that she was just there and didn't try to.
Speaker 2: Come with the solution.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it just happens out of nowhere, like you'll just be shunning and then you think about something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the part when you lose.
Speaker 1: Your birthday, maybe your mind's birthday, and then all of a sudden you're.
Speaker 2: Like this did that trigger me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The memories you never know, like you said, when they're gonna creep up.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you also got to look at like your mother is what brought you to somebody like because I feel like you also have a song on here called just like You yeap where you are actually referencing your mother and you want to be just like her. Yeah, And do you feel like with Leamyah, she has a lot of qualities that your mother has.
Speaker 2: I definitely think so. Man.
Speaker 3: She's such a caterer and just a domestic, god fearing woman. A lot of the qualities that I I had seen in my mom growing up, and when you're looking for your wife and that person that you're gonna be with forever, you're subconsciously looking for little things that remind you of the way your mom did them.
Speaker 2: And that just means it could be anything.
Speaker 3: Small, you know, like whether it's prayer or just like I said that, comfort or just conversation. But man, I definitely think that my mom definitely had so much love for Lamayah because she saw a lot of hurting herself too.
Speaker 4: That's dope.
Speaker 1: You gotta feel like all the time, there's certain signs you get like God brought you this person. Yeah, and then you lost your mom, but you have somebody that's really taking care of you at the same time.
Speaker 3: Now, so true to be there for you. Got always got you. It may always feel crazy, but he got a plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got a plan.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, now let's get into more of this list, because I know we were talking about that first. Yeah yeah, but cry in front of you. I definitely could see that like that.
Speaker 2: For real, genuinely, not just because I wrote.
Speaker 1: It and it meant a lot to you, you know, And I think that is sometimes because you work and write for a lot of other artists. But I also feel like there's nothing like knowing that somebody wrote a song and it came from a place of their own story. And I know you do sit down with people and talk to them about like what they're going through, what they want to express, but being able to tell that story of like this is why I write the song, this is what happened and it inspired me.
Speaker 4: It's just a different type of feeling when you hear it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, for real, you got to get the backstories and the breakdown so you could know where the artist was coming from.
Speaker 2: So it's important.
Speaker 3: I'm about to start rolling out videos where I'm just explaining the meaning of the songs, why I wrote them, songs, the state of mind I.
Speaker 2: Was in, and all that too.
Speaker 3: So stay tuned if you're watching this roll out. You know what I'm saying, laying out of some mashing class feel me.
Speaker 4: You know, and before I know, I keep on straining from the list.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I remember when we had you on lip Service, and I've seen you talk about this before with the AI artist, and you said, decided to do that because you had just an overload of so many songs. Yeah, and you just wanted to be able to like put those out in whatever way you can. But there's been so much backlash since then against AI artists, like I mean, other artists who you work with and respect have also said that they're completely against it. Even you know, I've seen kayline he says, uh, really, just do not like that? What would you say to them?
Speaker 2: I'll say, I understand that you don't like it. I do, but I do. But yeah, but because the thing is.
Speaker 3: I hate to say this, but a lot of times you don't even know that the producers, the videographers or the mixing engineers is working and using AI. But they just you only know one dynamic of AI. Therefore, you're not even able to fully translate what AI is capable of because this ain't got nothing to do it lyrics, This ain't gotten nothing.
Speaker 4: To do it because you wrote the songs, you have the artists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is totally different. But I mean just the capabilities and the possibilities of it.
Speaker 2: Bruh AI. You can do so many things AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what I think the main issue is is people getting trained AIS using your voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you still can't compete. I mean, they can't compete with you. You're the real person. They can't do the shows. They came through the interviews, they came through the podcast, they came to the meet and Greece.
Speaker 2: Why are you worried?
Speaker 1: But I wonder if there has to be a way to monetize or control that, because if you're using my voice to train people.
Speaker 3: Nah, it ain't they voice. It ain't they voice to explain it to me, it's just not their voice. Like if it's if you listen to both back to back, there may be similarities because it's a female because it's a soft tone, but it's not the same voice that's listening back to back.
Speaker 2: And are you going to and tell me it's the same voice?
Speaker 4: Are you going to roll out these artists? Like what's the plan?
Speaker 2: No? They rolling out? Some people don't even know the AI they lit their favorite song.
Speaker 1: You know there's an artist right now that who got a lot of backlash because people found out his song was AI and literally this ain't like he had to cancel his tour.
Speaker 4: There was so much backlash.
Speaker 2: Who put the tour together? I don't managers was bugging they was they were starting to believe a.
Speaker 1: High ticket sales because of the backlash because people found out, you know, he said the song wasn't AI, but it was, And so I.
Speaker 2: See that's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just a thin line, of very thin line when it comes to AI. It just is because you don't you don't know, you can't tell what's AI. Like the naked ear can't hear it. I can hear it. I know, like some people that can like point out AI in one second of hearing it, like oh Ai, I definitely, and some people like how you know, like bro, it's too perfect.
Speaker 2: When it's too perfect AI.
Speaker 1: It's two perfect, I'd be like, wait, that person got three legs and be like.
Speaker 3: Oh this is a It'd be like like what we're doing something?
Speaker 4: Well, what about this new project? Did you use any AI for that?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Zero zero zero. It's different things.
Speaker 3: I'm a person that is like a real creative, so I like to experiment when it comes to different songs and like what is the technology you have to offer in twenty twenty six? And you know I can say okay, that's that. But it's a big separation like when you hear this album, you're gonna hear complete like.
Speaker 2: Organic drums, piano, guitar.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be like perfection on the one sixteen Quantiz. It's a real feel that you'll be able to notice the difference. So I'm excited for people to hear.
Speaker 1: All Right, So we're talking about this list now. Other songs on the list Escape, who Can I Run to? Genuine so anxious. I don't know if he's going to appear on this again.
Speaker 4: Let me give you oh.
Speaker 1: Ari Lennox made the list with New Apartment. Now, I like Ari Lennox. I feel like I wonder if she'll be on there again, or if this is because I might have picked a different.
Speaker 2: Are doubling up?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, because we only know, you know, thirty through fifty right now? Aliyah one in a million? This is what's because some of these artists, I'm like, which song would I pick?
Speaker 2: One in a million?
Speaker 1: Is amazing a Keisha Cole Love, I think that's a given. You know that to this day, that's the karaoke.
Speaker 2: Pick, even for ot Genesis Yea, you Can't keep Me Killing.
Speaker 4: Tony Braxton Love should have brought You Home.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you, as we're looking at some of these songs, what are some songs that would make the list for you as like the top of all times.
Speaker 2: All time.
Speaker 3: Usher, okay, quaestionions, I would go music, soul, child love like Stevie Wonder, Ribbon in the Sky. I like the Temptations, the way you do the things you do.
Speaker 1: Ooh, the temptations I might do. Just my imagination of that was just mom.
Speaker 2: I love that song.
Speaker 4: That's such a classic.
Speaker 3: It is, you know, I like the way you do the things you do because of the songwriting on it.
Speaker 2: Oh, such a good.
Speaker 1: Song, and you're looking at different things than I am the consumer.
Speaker 3: But the but the just my imagination, that's probably the big, big one.
Speaker 2: I love that one too.
Speaker 1: There's such a difference between what's the big big song and what's the impactful one too. Sometimes yeah, like the song that might be the biggest might not be the one that you would want to make the list.
Speaker 3: Everybody has their own preference and opinion because listening to one song from one person, they could say I hate that song, the next person I love that song.
Speaker 2: Like wow, people's opinion there.
Speaker 4: Is just crazy. What would be your number one?
Speaker 2: Number one? R and D, R and B? Who should I say? Let me think about it. I might go Whitney Houston.
Speaker 4: Which one?
Speaker 1: What's the song called I don't want to sing along with you because I'm not Ai.
Speaker 2: I love said, I'm a y bodyguards. That song is like quite the best one?
Speaker 4: What about okay not? What's the song where she was like the side piece?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Uh? That one?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You know that? Or Whitney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm talking about Whitney the song where Oh my gosh, because my mom used to love this song and I didn't. You know how you don't and I will always love you. No, you don't know what the song is about until later.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you grow up.
Speaker 4: And that's what I was.
Speaker 1: Talking about all that time she was in love with a man who was with somebody else?
Speaker 2: Somebody else?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Am I forgetting the name of this song that.
Speaker 3: Has become the norm? Now I'll be hearing them phone calls. I'll be doing Lord.
Speaker 1: Jesus, Oh you mean tell us a secret? Been some crazy and it beat a regular voice.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, yo, you know how many people have had to be like, what's this?
Speaker 2: Oh? So what I'm saving? Yes?
Speaker 4: That one?
Speaker 1: Saving all my love for you? Right, because you realize that song is about.
Speaker 3: Her being Yeah, but look I will say a lot of moments is.
Speaker 4: All that he has. You got your family and.
Speaker 3: They need you there insane, it's diabolical.
Speaker 2: A lot of lyrics are diabolical.
Speaker 3: And the artist, I would say, the artists sometimes they hear the song and they just love the song.
Speaker 2: It's not always the artist.
Speaker 4: Story so beautiful.
Speaker 2: This is true, This is true.
Speaker 4: You know later on, I know you there's some songs you like.
Speaker 3: Dang.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize that's what they were talking about. Everybody always talks about s w V.
Speaker 3: You know the one for me, Yeah, but it's who else next me say, you're making it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was just making difficult for him to get the number.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, in the very beginning of that song, the way that it starts, it's a little ad lib and she goes, I wonder if she could tell I'm hard right now?
Speaker 2: Not you didn't know.
Speaker 4: In the beginning of that next song, they say that.
Speaker 2: No, that would have explained it all. That would have explained it, because I was just like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It was just like this is like, no, they really say that. Listen, listen right now.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 4: Once they intro it with that, I know I forgot.
Speaker 2: I forgot who you're talking to.
Speaker 4: Live right there.
Speaker 2: I missed that. I was still putting my head on land.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You're the censored version.
Speaker 3: That's probably what it is, because I have never heard that. Lord geez, I only have this song on the radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, well there you have it. So your number one song would be Whitney Houston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's that song called Bodyguard soundtrack? That's the best song ever?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: All Right, I don't really need to very much.
Speaker 2: I just love it.
Speaker 1: If I had a I could sound amazing. I just want to put we could get you right with the AI too.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine?
Speaker 2: I promise it's not even an imagination.
Speaker 1: What were we Okay, if we were in the studio right now, what is your process? Let's just say I was an artist and I was like, all right, I want to, you know, write a hit song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say first, I would say, you gotta be willing to sound crazy, all right, So talk to.
Speaker 1: Me like I'm in the studio, So Eric, I'm trying to do a hit song.
Speaker 2: What's the first song that you would think to sing when you in the car. What you like to sing? Because that will help me discover your register.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, I kind of like feel like a new Jack swing type of vibe.
Speaker 2: Okay, any song you know what song I love?
Speaker 4: Is it good to you?
Speaker 2: Which want to say, who's that body that is good?
Speaker 3: I'm about to go BBD When I think new Jack swing, I'm thinking new addition, I'm thinking, I think is.
Speaker 4: It good to you? Is that in juice?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: I need that type of vibe.
Speaker 3: Hold on, give me a melody, even because I gotta find your regis. I'm right into you. I'm not even gonna give you nothing that ain't even in.
Speaker 4: Your yeah from juice. Okay, all right, here you go.
Speaker 1: So I'm saying, this is my song right here, I want something that is in.
Speaker 2: The similar It's so Janet. I can hear some channels, Janet, So is it right there?
Speaker 3: It can do that? Is it?
Speaker 2: I think again? Just go just go La la la la la la la la la la la la.
Speaker 3: La la la la more confident la la la la hit it, hit it, hit it.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Okay, So now that with a little bit of all those them is gonna get you completely right.
Speaker 2: So you know, all right dead Nah, I don't know what they talking about very live.
Speaker 3: Ask anybody that's singing, please lying if they say it ain't all right. So now you got the la la la that sounds like a comfortable register.
Speaker 2: I would be like, what about this la la la la la. Let me you say that that's more comfortable to me for you?
Speaker 3: So now la la la, So I go if I say, if I, if I see that, that's already like a good singing voice, good register. If I was just random words that I pulled, the next thing, I would be like, okay, do you wanna we gotta listen to some music?
Speaker 2: You know, So now I will play some beats like do you like this beat? Do you like this beat? Do you like this beat? I probably play like five to ten beats until you love beat.
Speaker 4: You pick the beat first before you decide the content.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like to write to the music, so it kind of gives me somewhere to go. Okay, really, music can tell you what will fit the chords, you know, the chords out of fit, and you can help find a melody. So now I have to have to be and I know your registered. So now I would literally just freestyle.
Speaker 1: Are you like a therapist somewhat when you're talking to somebody about what's going on in their life, like, so, what's in love?
Speaker 2: You just broke up?
Speaker 3: What's going on? Talk to me like, actually, I'm happily. You know, I've been with somebody for six years and I don't know. This might be the one? Okay, cool boom you said might be the one. Now of a suddenly be like, all I got.
Speaker 4: The song what's called might be the one?
Speaker 2: Simple?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. So conversation leads to the song be the one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, it's a hit.
Speaker 3: Ok.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like to just understand the process of getting in the studio with Eric Bellinger and seeing what that's like. How do you prefer writers camps or do you to prefer just you being one on one with the artists?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Fifty with the artists. I'm gonna nail it, guarantee. I'm gonna talk to you. I'm gonna figure out what you like. I'm gonna act you along the process, like do you like this melody? Because I'm about to go let it you know, so you already have approved. But if it's a camp, that just turns up the competitive friendly competition amongst the studio and Room A and Studio B and Studio C, and we all in here going and then later on we know that Chris Brown or Usher anybody is gonna be walking through and listening. It's like, Okay, let's see what y'll work on. Let see what y'all wked on. Let' see what y'all worked on. And by the time they get to my room, I just want to say good luck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm yeah, I'm trying to just annihilate. I'm not trying to be on the album. I'm not trying to write a song.
Speaker 3: People like I'm trying to come in there and they have the whole vision, Like, oh my god, I see it. You can have the video. This is a single. Now we're not talking about is an album? Is a song on the album? It's like, it's like what we weren't in a video? Yo?
Speaker 1: And listen, you're on the tour where Chris Brown and Usher written hits. Yeah, but both of them, so it was kind of a no brainer.
Speaker 4: To have you.
Speaker 2: I love that they felt that way too, because I was.
Speaker 3: Like, yo, I gotta be there.
Speaker 4: Who gave you the call? Like how did this happen?
Speaker 3: Chris Chris actually was like, Yo, I got this idea for the tour.
Speaker 2: This is before I knew Usher was going to any of that, and I was just like, let's run it. Whatever it is. I'm down. And then I found out Usher was part and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, yo, is this the one he was talking about? I didn't know for the longest. I'm like, that's got to be the tour he's talking about. But I didn't speak with him again until his manager.
Speaker 4: Just call like, Hey, what's up this hand of the business.
Speaker 2: So I was like, oh, he was serious.
Speaker 4: That's dope though. I love that.
Speaker 1: And then it has to be very comfortable for you to be able to come out there, like I have to imagine that this tour is fun because you guys all know each other.
Speaker 2: And everybody's cool.
Speaker 3: Backstage is fun on they just crazy, all the people like we're all looking at you know, each each other said and just supporting one another. And it's really a dope thing to see all the guys come together for this.
Speaker 4: Now, listen, I gotta ask you.
Speaker 1: You went viral also recently for talking about the Weekend right and the Billy Goat or whatever, and so people were upset about that.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. I still don't know why they were upset.
Speaker 4: Dan's a huge weekend fan.
Speaker 1: I have to say, I'm on the record, I'm not like the biggest fan of the weekend and so it just is what it is. Like there's some people there everyone loves and he could be like the biggest tours selling but it's just.
Speaker 2: Not my whole vibe, right Dan.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm just being honest.
Speaker 1: So I was okay, and he does have like a yeah, no.
Speaker 2: He got songs. The songs are big songs and they were just as the singer.
Speaker 4: Billy Goat was wild though.
Speaker 2: But I just made because his vibrato has like a thing like.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's not not like throwing shots. It's like his fans heeriod.
Speaker 3: I know they know what I'm talking about, right, And it's cool. It was just it was really meant to be an insult.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just asking because all I see online is people like they went crazy over there.
Speaker 3: We're talking about catalog. They talking about who's doing shout out stadiums. I'm like, bro, I am talking about he asked me a question.
Speaker 4: I'm in the business.
Speaker 2: I do this opinion matters? Sorry?
Speaker 1: All right, now I want to say when I look at some of the songs that I'm going to tell you some of the tongues that I put on my top fifty list, and I want.
Speaker 3: To see what you think.
Speaker 2: All right, all right?
Speaker 4: I put Many Ripperten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what.
Speaker 4: Many people can hit that now, nobody. Yeah, I was in here trying earlier.
Speaker 2: That's good. Many Many's good.
Speaker 4: I know I hurt your ear.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but I feel like that's just a classic song, just even the way she was able to use her voice and all of that on there.
Speaker 2: I'll give you that.
Speaker 4: I put baby Face whipp.
Speaker 2: A pil Oh. Okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: What would you pay for Babyface?
Speaker 2: I only think of you on two occasions.
Speaker 1: That's the deal that's actually I think made this Oh no, that's is that? Yeah, two occasions, just the deal that actually made the list.
Speaker 4: At number forty three.
Speaker 2: It's really good. Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: So that's on there. I did put New Flame.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: I know, I know you, but I do love that song too.
Speaker 2: I know you, like.
Speaker 1: I made some money off that song, so it makes me love that song. My dad randomly really likes that really.
Speaker 3: See Okay, when Pops approves.
Speaker 1: Other than New Flame, what's your favorite Chris Brown song? And other than Fine China, what's your favorite Chris Brown?
Speaker 2: Chris Brown?
Speaker 5: I like strip I just want to Okay, I love that and Usher I would say that's what it's made for my favorite songs.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like that all right?
Speaker 1: Now back to I put just Me and You Tony Tony Tony on my list.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like that too. That's classic. That's classic but simple.
Speaker 1: But a lot of people that's not their favorite Tony Tony Tony song because in the room.
Speaker 3: We're discussing, aversary is like the big one because we can use it annually.
Speaker 4: You know, that's always a cheat code.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three songs, birthday songs, any type of like celebrations.
Speaker 4: But the birthday song.
Speaker 3: Is a cheat code birth and it's more and more coming out too, So you gotta go to or you switch around because it's birthdays all the time.
Speaker 2: What should be doing for yomies? What you do?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Well, of course I like busy signal. It's like a a Caribbean.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know that happy birthday on your birth Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite birthday song like baby birthday.
Speaker 4: You gotta do a birthday that.
Speaker 3: I want to say heavy birthday.
Speaker 4: That's a good one. No matter what, you always got to have a good birthday song. I feel like, honey.
Speaker 1: And then we always try to switch it up because you get sick of like every time someone's birthday. You don't want to post the same song. Let me switch it up and find something there.
Speaker 2: That's my dog, that's my.
Speaker 4: But that's listen, that's cheat code. Okay.
Speaker 1: Fatherhood is also on your album You are a boy dad boy to express.
Speaker 4: I wonder what it would be like if you had a little girl.
Speaker 2: So wait, I just had I just got a dog, a little girl. Dogs I count.
Speaker 4: That does not count.
Speaker 2: It counts to me.
Speaker 4: And you know what the technical term for that is.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you know, I'm very rough with them.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of sports, a lot of football practices. I have basketball practice. I to go to the park, ride by school swimming, and I always wonder, like what I have been able to handle the barettes and barbies.
Speaker 4: But you know, little girls are rough.
Speaker 1: I was a little time boy growing up and I was not like Miss Burrett's and barbies.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I thought I was like automatic like pink.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I feel like when I was young, I was very like. I played sports, I played basketball, I ran track, I did all of those things. Yeah, and I had an older brother and girl with older brothers, it automatically makes them more time.
Speaker 4: Boyish because they you know, that's a good point. Yeah, you have sisters.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I have sister don Belly and she's a singer too. Okay, yeah she's doing.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 4: Do you guys work together, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just saying, you know, because I'm just thinking about what life was like growing up for you in a house. I know you have a musical family and you come from that. Yeah, so maybe this was like destined for you.
Speaker 2: It is. I ain't know.
Speaker 3: My mom sings, my grandpa sings, my sister sings, I sing, my sons are singing, like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Especially since that Michael music Michael movie.
Speaker 3: Came out, Like yo, I've been seeing the videos online about people and like their kids feel like Michael was just discovered, like he just dropped last week and that's my household.
Speaker 1: It's crazy how certain artists can transcend like every single generation, and he's one of them. Yeah, And because now, like we have young Kayla in the room, she's only twenty two. There's a lot of stuff that she doesn't know. But like you never heard this song. You never heard this song, but she'll know all the Michael songs. And in the room the other day we were also talking about some of our our favorite Michael Jackson songs and some of them I like, and people in the room are like, I never heard that one.
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah, See he got a lot.
Speaker 3: I think the big songs is like you know, the big ones, but he did have some fire cut songs too that you have.
Speaker 2: You have to just discover his girlfriends with Paul McCartney. No, the Dog Gone.
Speaker 4: Girl is mine, Now that's the girl is.
Speaker 2: My girlfriendend the.
Speaker 3: Oh good friend?
Speaker 2: That one?
Speaker 5: Yes, Yes, I love that song for I like that it's real chu And it's like that's also he's like a side piece on that song.
Speaker 4: Do I like side piece song?
Speaker 1: It seems like I'm gonna tell your boyfriend exactly what you're right.
Speaker 2: See you're just singing it. You're not even thinking about it when you're young.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, And you know what's interesting too is the conversation people have been having lately. Somebody was asking me about who was asking me about my thoughts of young Miami because I turned into such a huge conversation about and you know, I'm I love that song.
Speaker 4: I do that was like my song love it?
Speaker 2: It's saying some crazy is it?
Speaker 4: But yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I love it.
Speaker 1: Men have been saying way crazier things. Remember the song you put it in your mouth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I don't think that's I don't think people are saying that that song is bad, like sexual wise, like we're past that.
Speaker 2: I think it's just like the illegal business that people for the kids.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all right. I get that for the kids, Okay, all right, But scamming is bad, especially you've been scammed. That song might be like, yeah, that's all.
Speaker 3: But the song is fire. It's a hit, that's the thing. Will It gets the people going, It gets.
Speaker 4: The conversation going. Have you ever been scammed?
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 3: I'm loky still thinking I'm gonn getting my fifty rags back, Like I'm waiting, like what can I get that back?
Speaker 2: Is it coming back?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. Sometimes you got to just chalk it up as a lot.
Speaker 2: It's been six years, but no it's over.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, what happened?
Speaker 3: I might get the fifty because you know how safe. For example, you back in the day, it was a little vibe. I didn't know what was going on hand. My man's this amount and we're gonna give you that amount back.
Speaker 2: It worked a couple of times.
Speaker 4: I was like, that's how they get you, because then they up the money. That's what happened, right, Hey, bro, Bro, how's it going?
Speaker 2: You got that empty body? No, alright, I'm calling you back next week. You know the person though, Like, yeah, I know the person. So I'm like, bro, what happened? Bro? I don't know?
Speaker 4: But then he got got to or.
Speaker 2: Said he got got to Okay, So I'm like, you do mean to do? I got got too? I'm like, I don't know. Gangs gang, They're like, no, a lot of people already got him. I'm like I want to get him too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then you know what happens when people, oh a lot of people. That's when you really could feel like, I don't know if I'm ever get more money.
Speaker 2: Bag.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm loky, Like it's like in there in my head. But I wouldn't have thought about it if you.
Speaker 1: Didn't said and what about so you never thought like let me try to sue or do nothing?
Speaker 2: No, we can't do that. This was it was like years ago. Okay, So I can.
Speaker 1: Understand you not loving the idea of that song when you're on the other side.
Speaker 4: Of it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right? If you done came up?
Speaker 4: You came up, you like, this is my song?
Speaker 2: But this is my song?
Speaker 4: But I took a l then maybe not.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know where this game is now?
Speaker 4: What is Eric Bellinger still learning?
Speaker 1: Because I feel like you have been so consistent with everything that you're doing, and of course we always want to be still learning growing. So in what ways would you say that you're learning and growing still?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I'm learning more and more that it's better to like just be you, be raw, be real, as opposed to trying to present like this perfect image or this perfect persona or this perfect answer that just adds so much stress to your life when there's really still no such thing as perfect.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So, I think me just embracing reality and embracing my imperfections has made me a lot more just comfortable every day, you know what, I'm saying in my own skin, so be you.
Speaker 1: You know, the first song, and I don't have this. I only have those songs that came out. I need help. Yeah, you gotta tell me what that's about.
Speaker 3: I need help is so my whole slogan is it's easy. Everything it's easy. But there's a line in first verse I say, no one knows what it takes to be me because I make it look easy. But I worked very, very very hard to make it look easy. You know, I'm covering so many different areas of you know, just job hats, just to make sure it's all good.
Speaker 2: But it's like, man, I need some help. I need to be able to delegate.
Speaker 3: I need to be able to call on somebody say hey, can you handle that for me because I'm over here and I can't get it done. But I think it's just and my nature to always just want to be the one to do it. Like I know it got done because I did it. But now I'm feeling more comfortable with the team around me that I can just like oh they got that, Oh they got that.
Speaker 2: So I think I need help.
Speaker 3: Is the first song on the album because it's in order to get the entire project.
Speaker 2: It had to start with that. It's also the first song that I did for the album.
Speaker 3: First song was I Need Help, and it came from a conversation with Troy Taylor and he was like, talk.
Speaker 2: To me, what do you want to write about? What's going on in your life?
Speaker 3: And then I just said, well, this is the first time I'm doing a deal with a label. The first time, I'm like, yo, reaching out like I need Help, and we wrote that song.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize this is your first time doing a deal with a label. What made you decide? Now when everybody's going the opposite.
Speaker 3: Round, So everybody about to go Indian and they gonna be like figuring it out, and I'm gonna be like.
Speaker 4: I already figured it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but not only did I figure it out, I got help.
Speaker 2: Now y'all figuring it out?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's a weird time.
Speaker 3: So it's like now that I you know, everyone's doing the Oh I want to be independent. It's cool, but I know what it really takes. Everybody don't even really know. Y'all have no idea what you're getting yourself into. But put that time in because it is worth it if you do know all the tools and you're able to do it. It's just a lot more effective when you have a conglomerate of people that are believing in the same vision as you.
Speaker 2: Lock and Key.
Speaker 1: Did you go looking for a deal or did something just come up that you were like, actually, this sounds good.
Speaker 2: No, it was that. It was so in the beginning of my career.
Speaker 3: The very first major session that I had was with Rodney Jerkins. So now I'm signed to him again. Well not again, but now I'm signed to him. And this entire time we've been in communication and it's been dope because he's been a mentor, he's been a friend, he's always given me advice. I've been working with him throughout the process and he recently got a position at the label and they were like, Yo, we need your expertise. Who do you want to sign? He said Eric Bellinger. So period we've been building it up and I didn't even know it.
Speaker 1: And I feel like you could have a position like how hit Maker had his position Atlantic Atlantic.
Speaker 4: And then Empire.
Speaker 2: That's what I want to do.
Speaker 1: I could see that being something you could do, because you know how many artists are probably like, oh, we have Eric Bellinger on the label. It's a twofold thing because now you're in house being able to get like first DIBs on some of these projects.
Speaker 2: Joints with them exactly. That's my goal for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I know, yeah, I'll take a share, take a chair for the show.
Speaker 1: And then you close it out with everything is in Order. So it feels like throughout the course of this album, it starts off with you needing help and then by the end of it.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's all good. Last one too, it was really man, we wrote these songs so intentionally. The last song was like, everything's like, what else? What can we say? What's the song that we could write about to close it out? So with Everything is in Order, it basically just talks about everything that I've went through and how it's prepared me for now and where we're at now. You know, the first line is I'm set up for the next six years. I used to pray to be right here, work my way up to eight twenty credit my payments song on automatic debit.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying? Everything is in order.
Speaker 3: But these are things that when I was first starting out, I didn't know. I was just trying to make sure I hit the bill, make sure I can pay my bill. Boom the thirtieth come around again, what we're about to do? So now it's like, nah, we got it set up in advance. We think about that like okay, we get a check, it's like all right, cool a right, you should be good til twenty twenty nine January.
Speaker 2: I'm like that for you.
Speaker 1: Are you an extravagant person when it comes to spending money too?
Speaker 2: Trying to get better at not spending it? But my I just be like, that's wavy.
Speaker 1: You know it's so hard, right, I want to not spend You know how you can really justify it? You gotta start selling stuff that you don't use anymore.
Speaker 3: Because why are we piling up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because I definitely had an appointment at my house with the real Real yesterday.
Speaker 2: Like hey they pulled up.
Speaker 4: Yes, they'll come to your house and get oh.
Speaker 2: The real real, Yeah, come through.
Speaker 1: To do is put everything together and they only take certain brands. You could look online and see what they'll take. They list everything and you get and it's like to me, I was like this feels great.
Speaker 3: No, there's places in LA that's like, yo, we buy clothes.
Speaker 2: We buy clothes. But man, they be trying to get you the percentages.
Speaker 4: So what else are you doing though?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Yeah, you take that.
Speaker 4: And the more you sell, the higher percentage you get. And then it's it's like a super like high end brand. You can kind of name your price.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not a real real I say, I never did a business. I've always been on the buying end, whichever I need to be on the selling end.
Speaker 1: No, I'm telling you it's a good idea because it's a great way to clear things out. But then you can get some money to buy yourself something else.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you just you just did it. They can come through the house because think about it. The places I go I have to pack. I'll be packing up clothes taking it. Hey, I want to buy these clothes and then they take what they want and I got to take the other clothes bag.
Speaker 1: No, they'll let you know, we'll take this, but not this, and they take it.
Speaker 4: They take a picture of everything, and that's that all.
Speaker 2: Right, real real I'm coming.
Speaker 3: Might as well do a little, a little add or something, a little partner.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, Eric Bellager always a great conversation as a great time with you, and I love to see like every single time you're in town. You always got to come through because I feel like we can talk about whatever.
Speaker 4: But you've been so consistent throughout your career.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say I would have put focused on You in the top fifty.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I like focused on you. Focus on you is crazy because I have like a weird I got a weird like no, because like and focus on you.
Speaker 2: It was supposed to be the joint in my head. I'm like, I need New York. I need to figure that out.
Speaker 3: So we did the Ochilly and then at the same time, we dropped it the same week.
Speaker 2: And Chris Brown and Kidding dropped Oh.
Speaker 4: Damn, hey, gay, can I get a weak you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 3: But it was like, ah, that was the joint. But I love that song.
Speaker 4: So you're still trying to give us this.
Speaker 2: I love that joint. The body Guarden. What's it called what's.
Speaker 4: Called oh I have nothing?
Speaker 3: It is I have nothing? What's the other one called boom? What's that one called? Oh?
Speaker 2: I will Always love you?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: Yes? So what is it?
Speaker 3: I have nothing nothing? Thats song is crazy. It's just it's just beautiful.
Speaker 4: It is sweet. I gotta do more. I gotta get out of these side chicks songs. What we sound it so good?
Speaker 2: They do know they do? They do? They do? They be hits too.
Speaker 1: There's the perspective you can't write fround because you've been such a good guy for so long.
Speaker 2: Boo listen when it comes to writing a song.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I could just execute this song because I know how to write a song.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I could do whatever.
Speaker 3: Miss Molly Matt roll roll roll your bowl.
Speaker 2: I'll make it a hit. All right.
Speaker 1: But Eric Bellinger, ladies and gentlemen, and the date is it's twenty first.
Speaker 2: That's right, August twenty first.
Speaker 4: You're going to go on a too. You got to Oh yeah, oh yeah, show is no joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're getting people ready appreciate that.
Speaker 3: So the next twitter, I do believe me, a lot of these songs or all of them will be performed. I think I think this is the album that will make the difference for Eric Bellinger. If you weren't a fan, and if you were and you have been behind me, you know this is just going to give you more ammo to round up more supporters.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, thank you so much again.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: It's way yep.