Speaker 1: Trying to lose weight, It's time to try Hers. At for hers dot com slash for you, you can access affordable, doctor trusted weight loss treatments tailored just for you. These include oral medication kits or compounded GLP one injections through Hers. Pricing for oral medication kits started just sixty nine dollars a month for a ten month plan when paid in full up front. No hidden fees, no membership fees. You shouldn't have to go out of your way to feel like yourself. Hers brings expert care straight to you with one hundred percent online access to personalized treatment plans that puts your goals first. Reach your weight loss goals with help through Hers. Get started at for hers dot com slash for you to access affordable doctor trusted weight loss plans. That's for hers dot com slash for you. F O r h ers dot com slash for you paid for by hymns and Hers Health. Weight Loss by Hers is not available everywhere. Compounded products are not FDA approved or verified for safety, effectiveness, or quality. Prescription required restrictions at for hers dot com.
Speaker 2: Apply my graduates from my school being forced back drop drop Mike drop back drop drop.
Speaker 3: All right, So, earners, the time has come. Eylu Grad School is here, and you know how. We bringing it over one hundred past webinars, weekly webinars from industry experts, monthly financial planning calls, will a shot, our movie and book club, access to our private investment group on Facebook, and we've just added the home Buyers Blueprint Value one reloaded from our brother MG, The Boys Guy, which has over twelve hours of content to guide you through the process of buying a home with a number of home buying programs to get you through the process, y'all. And in addition to that, you now have access to our weekly mentorship calls for all things real Estate, hosted again by brother MG. It's an amazing package. We put it all together. We can't wait for you to see it and be a part out of it. And right now it's fifty percent off. So you got to do is head over to ey l University dot com. You're gonna get fifty percent off. But yeah, shout out to L.
Speaker 4: So we'll jumped right into it. So you guys are college professors, right, and you know college is something that is very it's a it's a hot topic and it's something that triggers a lot of emotions in people, especially nowadays. It's like anytime we put a post on Instagram about college, we get a thousand comments and people saying like it's a scam, no, wats your money, and other people saying all kinds of stuff. Right, So I'm just going to jump I'll just jump right into it. Is college still necessary to be successful? Or it wasn't really ever necessary, but in today's society it's college still necessary, still needed.
Speaker 5: I mean I think that college, I mean it's not needed, it's I mean, it's something that you can do to it's something that's possible.
Speaker 6: I think should be an option, right.
Speaker 5: I don't think it should be forced upon that people have to go to college.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 5: I will say there's other ways of being success full and go into certain fields that college is not needed as much as it was five years ago. But some things you do need, like if you want to be a lawyer or a doctor, or you're in a stem fields like college can be very productive. But then there's some other majors where honestly you can you can learn on YouTube, or you can learn about reading books, or you can learn about just doing so, I don't think it has to be a necessary thing to go to college, but I do think it should still be an option.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think also one of the biggest things about college are the networks and the relationships that are made.
Speaker 8: So it's very far and.
Speaker 7: Few in between that you get to sit in a room with a doctor, a future lawyer, a future dentist, a future teacher and have conversations that are not about your fields of study. And because we all know that once we get into our you know, our real lives after college, it starts to become a little bit closer in the bubble where you're just dealing with people who are who have similar interests. So college, for that particular space, there's not many any other places that create that type of environment. And academically there are some fields that do still need it. But you know, I think that these institutions, a lot of them are just not created for the benefit of the students. I mean, there are a number of colleges and universities that are doing that work, but I think there are a lot that are scamming people, and I think there are a lot that are not doing the work.
Speaker 3: It used to be looked at as a badge into middle class life. But you had to have that piece of paper if you wanted to get a good job, get a house like that. That's going away with like what any was just saying. It's like some things we're just going to learn on the fly, Like we say this all the time. We have no training in broadcasting, but we're doing a podcast, right, Like we're learning these things as we go. And I think, like, yes, there are options that you can do outside of going to school, but if there are our careers like lawyers and dogs, like you said, it's mandatory. Man, I'm a college guy, right, Like we had to do it in education, but like I said before, like I feel like we could. I could have done it out of high school given the proper training, rather than seven years of dedication to that career.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I think what college does is we live in a society where image is very important, right, So what college does is that it gives you a badge to say, Okay, I have a certain level of success already built in because I've completed my degree. So now I can at least speak to you on an intelligent level when I can be taken seriously, which is not always the case, right, because there's plenty of people that graduated from what Kanye speaple. Kanye said, people graduate from college will be still stupid. That happens all the time. And then you got some people who never went to college who are brilliant or never finished college that are brilliant. So my personal opinion on it is that I think that college is beneficial. It can be beneficial from the social standpoint, specifically from a social standpoint and growing as an adult, right because especially if you go away from college, that's probably your opportunity living on your own and you mature, you develop a certain relationships, you meet people. That part you really can't get just going out of high school. In the real world, you can, but it's a lot more difficult. You're not in an incubator where you're just around a thousand people and you can just develop those type of relationships. It's not easy to do that and just real world life. But I feel that a lot of times people are misguided right when they go to college. So this is my next question. As far as you know, one of the biggest things for college for me is majors. Right, So you guys are on the inside. And I see. I saw that even when I was in school. Anybody that doesn't know I have a communications degree, I don't have a business degree. So but when I went to school, they told me like, look, just get a degree. Doesn't matter. If you're not trying to be a doctor or a rocket scientist, it doesn't matter. And it honestly didn't because when I graduated, I'm a financial advisable. When I graduated, in order to do what I had to do, I had to pass three different tests. So I had to study for like nine months. So it doesn't matter if I would have got a business degree or not, I still would have had to study. So it's kind of like I went to college. After I went to college anyway, and now I have my licenses so I can do whatever I want to do. So but I could have had an art degree. I could have had any kind of degree, right, So how important is it to pick the right major and how do you determine what is the right major?
Speaker 5: So this is for parents and people got in students for college. So before I was a professor, I should work in a mission. So the most important part when talking to parents or talking to students is when you're choosing a school, especially when it comes to majors, your major should be a top five major within that school. What I mean by that is top five with enrollment and also they have placement for the companies that deal exactly what your major. And if you're not in those top five areas for your major, what can happen, honestly is you can be two years in at the school and if there's not enough students enrolled in that program, your program, and now you're still at that college. So it's very important as we guide our students telling to go to college. Yeah that's great, but please make sure whatever field you're trying to go into is one a popular major within the school. Two has the partnerships outside of the school with the different companies. And then, last, but not least, is the mentality of knowing where the United States or where your country where you're living at is going to be the next five years as far as the job marketing careers and what's going to be in demand. Not what I always say this mentality of not five minutes from now, start taking five years from now.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So when you're making that decision, what does a communications degree look like five years.
Speaker 6: From now, right, what does that feel looks like? Look like? Is every going to be around photography?
Speaker 5: Is that's something that you really have to go to school for when you can potentially learn that, you know, So that's that's kind of the key when picking your majors is making sure that the school provides the resources but can also place you at the job. But it also is a demand. But in the next few years, I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 6: Man Like.
Speaker 3: A lot of times, especially in our community, when our kids think about college, the first thing they think out the athletics, right, like I want to go to do or I want to go in North Carolina, I want to go to Yukon, right, And when you get there, if you're not there on athletics, it's like, well, I want to study communications. Well that's not one of those majors. That is one of the best things at that school. So like you should be looking past just like, yo, I'm alumni and I go to that school for the sports, right if it means it doesn't mean as much when you come out of Yukon with a communication gree.
Speaker 4: I have a communication degree, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: But I want to go back to what you said. I don't go back to what you said because you said that.
Speaker 6: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: And in my head, I'm like, yeah, it doesn't matter if you're on an athletic scholarship. If it matters to a guy like me, who was like, I'm studying physical therapy and I don't want to be a physical therapist, right and I've paid thirty thousand dollars for four years, It's like this matters a lot, right, Like, now what do I do? Do I have to continue going when I don't want to do this? Or do I have to figure out what can I do?
Speaker 6: Like that?
Speaker 3: I kind of fell into that thing. It was like the school I was at it was great for physical therapy. I couldn't pass the science classes. I'm like, yo, I'm not going to be a physical therapist. I got to figure out what I can get and gratefully I was able to go to school with a health science degree, and I was.
Speaker 6: Like, all right, well what does that even mean? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So I have to start figuring out, like and what's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: We talk about this all the time, and Jeff in particular use this analogy of you know, and everything else you buy something, you challenge to make sure that the service that they're providing is correct, right. And I feel like people are not challenging some of these schools when they're paying all this money. You know, you're paying and maybe because you're not physically using cash and handing over fifty thousand dollars, you're not seeing the money, so you maybe don't care as much as if you're going to a restaurant, like you know, Jeff always says about, you know, if you order steak and they bring out chicken nuggets, are you gonna eat chicken nuggets?
Speaker 6: Or you're going to say I ordered steak.
Speaker 5: And many times students are paying all this money for a school and then not providing the services that they're promised, and they're not challenging the school right or asking questions before. And I don't know, maybe it's because again you're not physically handing that money over and you think, I, oh, I'll just get a job and I paid all later. But I think it should really treat it like everything else you purchase.
Speaker 3: That that's a problem, especially in our community, man, like we don't know how to advocate for the things we want. Like I've seen it over and over with parents not being able to advocate for the kids. But then the kids grow up and they don't know how to advocate. So if they all being mistreated at school and the things that not being about it, it's like who.
Speaker 4: Do I How do you challenge the system? Because I mean that's like going up against system.
Speaker 6: So I don't want to even say, like challenge the system. It's simple things.
Speaker 5: So if there's like a college fair at your school, like every school, typically at high school, they bring in college representatives, you know, instead of asking questions like students get these questions from guidance counselors and some people. I don't know where they get these questions from, like what's the percentage of student success at your school? Like that's not the question should be asking. You'd be asking, you know, look, I want to be an engineer. How can you how can this school help me become an engineer? How can this school help me become a bio mechanical engineer?
Speaker 6: Like whatever?
Speaker 5: How does how? What are the tools at your school to get me there? But also is this major a popular major at your school? Can I talk to somebody at the institution, the career center and find out how many people you placed at a job in the last three to four years at point. You know, like those type of questions need to be asked, and unfortunately we don't. We don't provide those resources, them tools enough, and that's why we create the platform that we create.
Speaker 6: That's part of the things that we deal with to let.
Speaker 5: Students know, like you do have a voice number one and number two to ask those type of questions before spending all of this money.
Speaker 4: Jef, I wanted to ask you a question. We spoke of CAM about the hitting curriculum.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so the idea, so it kind of goes into the aspect that the students don't know who to ask, so that there is that problem I don't know where to go, and the institutions are not doing the job properly. A lot of institutions are not doing the job properly and creating a space for students to understand things like acronyms that students don't know. So I don't know what FASSA might stand for, and that's talking about financial aid. If you don't know what that means, then you're out of luck. You don't know what the bursar office means. And these are the things that are just directly dealing with your money.
Speaker 6: Sounds like it's already.
Speaker 8: So you don't know what these things are.
Speaker 7: So I think it's just essential for And this is where I think the big problem is is that there are institutions that are about creating careers for people who want to be educators.
Speaker 8: So they want to go up.
Speaker 7: The ladder and become vice presidents and become deans and become provosts and presidents of institutions without caring about the students. So then they create these platforms and they create these spaces where the students cannot succeed.
Speaker 8: So I'm not going to sugarcoat it.
Speaker 7: There are academic institutions that are out there primarily just to build careers and primarily just to make money. The proper institutions that are doing the work are the ones that say we are going to make sure that you know who to speak to. And with the hidden curriculums, that just means that there are things that are being hidden in regular nomenclature. So it's saying we know what it is, but a seventeen year old does not know what that is, and we expect them to know what it is, then succeed in that space, and then excel beyond that. And then by the time they hit to year two or three, we see the retention level drops because the student doesn't know what the term retention even means. So we're saying, we want to keep you here, but are we even doing the work that needs to be done. So ultimately, at the end of the day, that's where we have to start to do more work, is saying what are the students getting and who do they need to speak to so to really touch on the comments that we were just saying. One of the things that I can tell all people who are sending any of their students to college or are going back to school themselves, is that you have to really find particular individuals on your campus. I can't stress the I can't stress it enough that you have to get involved, and I means you have to find somebody who's already doing the work and make sure you align yourself with that. Find the Jeff or the Lenny on your campus and sit in their office introduce yourselves, because what ends up happening is I'm the one that's going to put you in touch with this person, that person, this individual to help you succeed because doing it by yourself is literally impossible.
Speaker 4: Now we was talking off cameras too, when it's difficult because I think my experience is a little jaded because I was I played basketball, so when I went to school, I got I was on athletic scholarship. So if anybody's not familiar athletes, it's different, especially at a Division I school. So when I got to campus, you know, we had our own study hall just for the athletes. We had our own advisor just for the athletes. Our books was free, and you know, they would stay on us like make sure, like what are you're doing? Like you just going to class? You know what I mean. It's like so it's easier because it's more structured. But for somebody that's just going to college on their own, and especially if your if you know, your parents didn't go to college, but you don't your first generation, it's a lot that goes into college that's different from high school. Like I remember the valid valedictorian of my school a couple of years ago, that my high school that I went to. He's a lot younger than me. Obviously, and I spoke to him. He's in Harvard, and I was asking him, like, how you're doing at Harvard, and he's like, you know, I wasn't prepared. This is the valedictorian of the school kid, obviously, but he's like high school which is just so easy for me, and I'm in Harvard and it's just way different. And he was like, you know, I never realized how much I wasn't prepared until I was in that position. And I think that that happens all the time, and like you said, a lot of times unfortunately, especially you know, you might have family issues, whatever, kids just drop out because you know, you fall behind a couple semesters and let alone, not even talking about financial issues, just social issues and just dealing with school and structuring your time. It's like, how can somebody fully equip themselves for making that jump from high school to college?
Speaker 7: First you sign up with Trill or not Trill, but you know, to fully equip yourself, it takes a lot. And this is where we have to really invest. We were just talking about that off camera too, about how much money you place on a college degree, whether you're going there for free or you're paying full tuition, there's no I mean outside of a house, there's no larger investment that you're really making problem throughout your life. And in the same way that you invest in the house, you're searching for multiple houses. But then even before that, you want to know how is the house, how you know, how is it built? What was What do I have to do to fix this space? What do I have to do to make sure that my family, if I want to start a family, goes in here. It can't just be let me just show up, pull up and figure out the rest investment, right, And so what people have to do is is really start to invest in the child and the student's education before they even get in there and find the programs because colleges and universities some of them will do it, but a lot of them will not. And say, listen, we're going to give you a two day orientation session to figure out how to succeed in college. And you know you and they're trying to holler at other people you and they're trying to have fun, you know, because they're also doing that too.
Speaker 8: There's a dj at that things directors there.
Speaker 7: You're sitting here thinking like, man, I don't even know what registraw is, and I remember like, as a college student, I was like, is it register And they're like, no, it's registrar And I'm like, why what is that when you're registering for class?
Speaker 8: Correct, when you're registering for class.
Speaker 7: So there are these simple little things that students aren't prepared for, and so for me, I just think that you have to invest in the same way that you would invest in a house, the same way that you wouldn't buy.
Speaker 4: A car with.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the P and C Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member fdic.
Speaker 8: Erners.
Speaker 6: What's up?
Speaker 3: I walk into a small business and everything just works like. The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 9: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 8: Without making every possible detail before it. You have to do the same.
Speaker 5: And I think the key is invest past financials because a lot of people always talk about college and investing and it's only the financial piece when we're saying about the investment, saying due to research as well and understand where college is going, what colleges are doing at different degrees because it can be really beneficial for you.
Speaker 4: And it's also very important I think what Jeff said as far as to find people on campus that know the deal and because that helped me out a lot. As far as like when I first got there, I had somebody job at my mansion. Well he's from the Bronx and he was a junior when I was a freshman. He was on the team and he was seasoned. He was there for two years. So he kind of explained to me, like, take this class, don't do this and have this many credits, and like this professor is cool, and he kind of walked me through it and from there I was able to have a smooth transition. But I think it's important to have that mentor. I don't know if schools have program they do.
Speaker 5: And then the other thing before you even talk about what you want. The mentors just don't get too caught up on titles as well. Right, looking for somebody with a leadership title to be a mentor. There's just people on campus that literally run a campus but don't have any fancy title.
Speaker 3: There be no person that works in a book store right right, everybody and they've been there for twenty years, so they know exactly what books to get, they know exactly where to go.
Speaker 8: There's the person who's cleaning up the student union building.
Speaker 7: They're know, hey, listen, you know you need to join this club, or hey, you know you need to talk to Jeff because Jeff.
Speaker 8: Knows who everybody is.
Speaker 7: And so that's where, you know, we always talk about the difference of what a mentor means. So we tell people, number one, you need a digital mentor, and a digital mentor is somebody that is online, that has an online presence at that institution or otherwise that you know, you can just watch what they're doing. And that might just mean I'm watching somebody's Instagram feed or Twitter feed and saying, all right, you know what I need to just know because this person is providing a wealth of information. There's a generational mentor, so that means you also need to know somebody who is from a different generation than you are, younger and older, who have different mindsets and different viewpoints that you can say, all right, this is the generational mentor that's older than I am, that's going to be providing me the traditional sense of leadership.
Speaker 8: But then here's this person that's.
Speaker 7: Also maybe a little bit younger than I am, that I can give them information and then they give me back some information.
Speaker 5: And then like your boy that you said at your school, be what we call peer mentor right right, somebody that's in that same age range, same age bracket doing this, you know the same things that you're doing, and that's a fellow peer of yours that can really help.
Speaker 4: You out for sure. All right, So now we're going to go into the next seven. We're going to talk about the financials, and we're also going to talk about chill or natural so yeah, yes, I love that. All right. So now we're going to talk about the number one thing when it comes to school is how to pay for it?
Speaker 3: Right, money, money, As we said, man, it's the biggest financial decision that they're going to make. And they have, especially high school schoents, they got about three years and that's you're making that decision at eighteen. Like a lot of people won't get approved the loan for a house, they probably won't. They may not get approved to get a loan for a car, but they will get approved.
Speaker 4: Student loan is real and something like I said once again, I was fortunate not to have to a loan because I had a scholarship. But I have brothers and sister and they both have to I think they're both still paying on this. They're both older than me. But student loans is real. Financial leid is definitely real. All that is real, So you.
Speaker 6: Can't escape it. No, no, no filing for bankruancy on student loan.
Speaker 4: Oh they're gonna want their money, thank you, so so, But like, what's what's What's some hacks that parents because a lot of parents listen to our podcasts and you know, might have children in college or children getting ready to go to college. What some hacks that and even children or young adults can use to minimize the cost of college.
Speaker 5: One of the big hacks for high school students is taking college courses while you're in high school. Now, so high schools and some districts provide that, and they're called like articulation agreements, another fancy words, another fancy hire Edward, but their call articulation or dual agreements or partnerships where a lot of community colleges now and some four year schools are trying to build upon their enrollment. So what they're doing is they're they're allowing high school students to start taking classes at a lower rate or for free.
Speaker 6: So that's something where you look at in your in your area, your.
Speaker 5: Region, your district, especially within the community colleges, your kids can take some of those level one hundred.
Speaker 6: Courses at a lower rate. How do you how do you get going on campus? You can go on campus, so you can call.
Speaker 5: What you can do is you can call most colleges have what they call like a pre college program, pre summer program, summer academies, and look look inside of some of those programs, those summer camps and maybe don't send your kids to maybe your sports camp in the town. You send them to a business academy camp at like let's say a Pace University, and then they can potentially get credits for class while they're at that camp.
Speaker 6: So that's that's the way to kind of look at it.
Speaker 5: I would look at your local community colleges first, give them a call.
Speaker 6: A lot of them do allow high school students to.
Speaker 5: Take classes on Saturdays and at night, So that's something that you can you can definitely look out for, and you can go in as what they call another fancy college where like a non matriculated student.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, that's a good word.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 7: I think another thing too is to just be honest about going to community colleges. So community colleges are way less expensive than they are than for your institutions are. And so if your student is not fully prepared because they just don't know.
Speaker 8: I mean, at eighteen, you just may not know.
Speaker 7: And at eighteen, I thought I was going to be a high school basketball coach, teaching English classes that in my old high school, and that's what I thought I was going to do. And I went into college thinking that that was the plan. And I realized that I didn't want to do that at all about two years into the game, and so I had I don't know if community college was particularly for me, but I'm paying. I paid for those two years, and I paid a lot of money for those two years. And for some people who are just not quite sure if they want to go to college or if this institution is go to a two year and bang out two years of college that are going to be a lot less expensive, and then succeed at those two years and then you can get into whatever school you want.
Speaker 8: I mean, Harvard is giving away.
Speaker 7: Full scholarships to students who excel at a community college, as are so many other excellent institutions, So you know, I think that's one that's another way to minimize some of the costs. And another thing I wanted to add is alumni offices are a secret hidden money giving a space. It's called advancement at most universities. But your alumni offices are always collecting money from donors who are saying, we want to give money to a black male student from upstate New York who enjoys watching soccer, and they literally will say, that's the only way we're going to give five thousand dollars to this program. Or we're going to give five thousand dollars to a student who's involved in the Haitian Students Club, and that's the only way we're going to give five thousand dollars. I donate to my school, and I give money only to the Black Student Union that helps shape my career. So we have money that we give to you have to be involved in that club. But students don't know because they don't always announce those scholarships. They're just there on the website that nobody knows.
Speaker 8: So I tell.
Speaker 7: Students once a month going to that office and say are you offering any scholarships and they will be there.
Speaker 5: And then for those people, I mean, we both did it. We both donated and created our own scholarships. I created one out of community college, created one out of high school. And for those people that are watching that don't know how to give back money, you can call the foundations and advancement and alumni officers at these colleges and do a two hundred and fifty dollars scholarship or five hundred dollars scholarship to help students as well. Another misconception is that you have to finish a community college in order to transfer.
Speaker 6: That's not true. Every school is different.
Speaker 5: So for example, in New Jersey where I live, there's two things that I want to kind of put out there. There's two things in New Jersey. Let's say you have twelve credits in a two point zero you can transfer into most four year state schools in New Jersey. It's give me two point five into most state schools in New Jersey. New Jersey also has another program, and most states do have programs like this called NJ Stars where a student maybe didn't do particularly well in their SATs, but they're in the top twenty percent of the top ten percent of their class. And if you're in the top ten percent of your class, you go to college for free, community college. Then when you go to community college, if you get your associate's degree and you have a three point two GPA, you can get another scholarship to go finish your bachelor's degree at a four year college and that'll be it in Jstars two. So in Jstars one it's community college. You can transfer out and then you go into in Jstars two. So these are type of programs that they have in a lot of I just know that particular because I'm from New Jersey, but they have these type of programs within the states. So don't get too caught up saying, well, I'm top twenty percent of the class, I want to go to this big school.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you might be.
Speaker 5: Your top twenty percent might be different from another high school, so you might not get as much money as far as scholarships. So take advantage of the scholarship that you do have, maybe at that community college, and then go on and then potentially transfer and get scholarships as well.
Speaker 6: So it's just transfer scholarships.
Speaker 3: As you're talking, I'm listening because we do this this project with the kids who are going into college, like even say an associates degree, they like have no ideas. That's traditionally fifty six credits, right, and then obviously your bachelor is when you finish traditionally one hundred and twenty credits of school. That might take for four or five years, hopefully because it's.
Speaker 5: Going to cost you and you don't But and on top of that, you know, after a certain amount of credits, after I think one hundred and sixty, I want to say, you run out of financial aid so you can continue to go to school. They'll let you go to school, they don't care, but your financial aid can you can exhaust your financial aid?
Speaker 6: That's important.
Speaker 3: And I was going to say, like in addition to that, like a lot, there's a misconception with community college, Like you said, after those two years you transfer to a four year school, Like when you graduate and you go into your career, nobody's looking at like, yo, what junior you transfer from community college? And then New York State has now like in the past two years they started the Excel to your program. So State school is also a good thing. Right, it's at least it's less than.
Speaker 6: If you went to a private school. Right.
Speaker 3: So, if you go to state school and you live in New York and you know your parents make under a certain amount of money, you can have I think room and board for free, and to which I was, well, so that's another option. If community college is like, it's not something you want to do, go to your local state school if you live in New York, and then I think the only recommend the requirement is that you have to work in the state four years after you or however long.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of schools are doing.
Speaker 5: You know, if your parents make seventy thousand hours, your household income is seventy thousand hours, you go to school for free. That's something that's happened in New Jersey where all the community colleges will be free start in September. These are again, these are the type of programs that you should know. But most importantly you just brought up a really good point. Public understand what a public college is and a private college. Right, nine times out of ten, a private college costs more than a public college, and it doesn't mean that.
Speaker 6: And it goes back to what I said. It doesn't mean that they're a better school.
Speaker 5: It's literally because they're privately funded, so it's a little it's a little bit different when it comes to how much they charge for tuition. So it's very important to know what a public college is and a private and a private and know the difference.
Speaker 4: That's important. Yeah, because I actually did a podcast before and somebody asked me that question, and I was saying that nobody cares, like especially if you plan on getting a degree outside of the other first degree. So like if you if you know you're going to get a four year degree and you go into a two year school, or if you know you're going to get a master's degree, right, they only care about the last degree that you have, true, and that school that you went to. So like Barack Obama is a perfect example. He went to his first school that he went to for two years is like some no name school in California. Then he went to Columbia and then he went to Harvard after that. Right, when you hear the stories, it's only that he went to Harvard Law and he graduated from Columbia. They never say the first school that he went to. It doesn't matter, but you save a lot of money, you prepare yourself, and you grow so a lot of time. I'm not the best person to give this speech because I went to the University of Hawaii, But you might have to humble yourself and stay home right and learn, learn the ropes, and you know, stay at home for a couple of years and then go out on your own. Or you know, you might just sacrifice for four years, stay at home, save money, go to your local school in your area, your state school. It'll you might not get the same joy as you know going out on your own and you know, going to a crazy destination, but the grand scheme of things, it might make a lot of sense long term.
Speaker 6: That's my story in itself.
Speaker 3: Right, I stayed home, I went to school locally, right, But what I did during that time was I was able to get experience. Whereas somebody who comes out of school and is looking for experience, I already have four years on you. So sometimes when you go to a career or job, it's like, yeah, you have this, but do you have the experience? Like I'm doing that as I'm going to school and obviously I don't have to pay for room and board, or anything like that.
Speaker 6: So it helped in that way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and also look at another compointent by experience also got the career centers within the college. I know, in my junior year, my job, my internship was also kind of as credits, so it could be considered like a co op program. So your class can actually eliminate I mean, your job can actually eliminate you taking a certain class because the work that you're doing, the experience that you're doing is learning learn learning experience. And then they'll give you a professor to kind of you know, follow you along and then you write a paper about it in a semester. And not only did you get paid to work, but you also got credits which saved you money as well.
Speaker 4: So, Jeff, you have an interesting story about j Cole.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you know, this is the thing about college. So this kind of goes into this conversation about how to find money and how to be more successful in it. So I went to Saint John's University and I went to school with j. Cole, And you know, I was president of our Black student union which was called Haraah and at that time we were the largest organization. They had a massive budget over one hundred thousand dollars. And what we were able to do was I became president of that. And becoming president of that, they gave me a five thousand dollars stipend. So right there, I got an extra five k that I didn't have for doing some student work on top of the stipend. With that budget, I was able to also bring in a bunch of different speakers. I mean Cornell, Wes, Maya, Angelou, all these people that I wanted to meet, we had the money to bring them in. Now, the Jay colepiece is is leveraging the networking opportunity. So if you're going to go to a college, I don't care what school it is, I want you to go in there and make sure you meet as many different people as you possibly can get yourself into every room. And so when I think about Cole, one of the things that you know, I remember Jermaine was just wrapping in the random open mic or wrapping in the residence hall in the dorms, and then that flipped into him getting involved. He eventually became president of our Black student union. And then when that happened, he always had a crowd. There was always five hundred people that were guaranteed that we're going to buy the mixtape, that we're going to come out to the show, that we're going to support him at the open mic, that we're going to go out to this and me, I see it all the time as we do speaking gigs, still perform poetry. Half of my audience are people from Saint John's for my undergraduate career. So I tell people make sure that once you get in, get yourself involved, get yourself entrenched in the university, because that's how you get them to start paying you back. And that's the thing. School's really expensive. But I'm going to find out how do I become a resident assistant. And a resident assistant is when you're in charge of a residence floor and you're in charge of a dorm floor, they pay for your housing. I did not pay for housing for three years of my college career. And when you get into those spaces, I was an orientation leader, which were the people who introduced the people when they came to college. I got paid for that. So that's where you find the money. You leverage the money by the network, by the capital of the individuals as well as the capital that the school hasn't.
Speaker 4: And you said something interesting. You said that Jacole being the president of the Black student union, he was in a unique position because he booked concerts.
Speaker 8: So then that opened up for them. Yeah, it was fascinating.
Speaker 7: I mean I remember, you know, when I was wrapping back in the day, that was the same thing. I'm like, I put on my little resume. Yeah, I opened up for Kanye, I opened up for quality, I opened up for comment And he did the same thing every time we had a major artist. He was one of the performers that opened up for it. And then that just again creates more leverage, creates more opportunities. You get practice. He didn't pay a dime, he didn't pay anything. You use the studio that's on campus, use every possible resource that they have, because they're they're they're taking the money from you. They're never gonna they're never gonna say, hey, you know what, it's okay, you don't have to pay today.
Speaker 8: So I'm gonna say, listen.
Speaker 7: I want They're never gonna say that, right, So I want the studio, I want the gym, I want I'm taking everything that.
Speaker 8: This school could possibly give me.
Speaker 4: And he was like a straight student.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean he was a good student from what I heard. I mean, I wasn't in the classes with him, right, but he was.
Speaker 8: I mean.
Speaker 7: And that's the thing is that I can't stress. And I'll say this over and over again. You have to succeed in that space. So do everything you possibly can to leverage every opportunity that they have.
Speaker 2: My graduates from my school being forced bad drop bag drop, Mike drop bad, drop back.
Speaker 10: Drop, Coach, The energy out there felt different.
Speaker 11: What changed for the team today?
Speaker 5: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players.
Speaker 8: Everything.
Speaker 6: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 10: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field, Hey.
Speaker 5: Little play makes your day, and today it made the game that's off of now, Coach.
Speaker 11: One more question played the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine Ers and Los Angeles Ram Scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peacely responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase plate or claim