Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Day Break Asia for this Friday, May twenty sixth in Hong Kong, Thursday May twenty fifth in New York and coming up today, Nvidia powers a rally in tech stocks and Nears won trillion dollars in market value. Trader is fully priced in another quarter point fed rayhike within the next two policy meetings, and the Bank of Japan Governor Kazua Ueida indicates his desire to hold on to policy flexibility. Debt ceiling negotiations continue without a deal. A January sixth perpetrator gets sentenced eighteen years in jail. I'm Dan Schwartzman with Global News.
Speaker 2: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break Asia, the business news you need to start your day, and just one fifteen minute podcast available on Apples, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business app and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Good morning, I'm Richard Salavat and I'm Brian Curtiz. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Chip Macan Nvidia is now within touching distance of one trillion dollars in market value. Now, this would become the only, but only the ninth firm evetive hit that milestone. It does come after in Vidia's surprise channas with a surging revenue forecast, it propelled to jump in stocks linked to artificial intelligence. We should know that in Video is the bigs maker of advanced chips that are required to train a generation AI services. We heard from Kyle Bass, founder of Hayman Capital Managements, saying that investors should now be looking at developing data centers to capitalize on the demand for AI.
Speaker 4: When you look at the data center market, it is white hot. The US is reshoring on shoring this high powered chip business, and in Vidia is leading the way, you know, first with their GPUs and their gaming chips and now their generative AI stuff. That is just again white hot. I wouldn't short in Video. I think it's just as has a long way to run here.
Speaker 3: Meantime, Trader is betting against in Video, facing two point three billion dollars in paper loss on Thursday, leon in vid shs closing up twenty four percent in.
Speaker 1: New York Well today, the amount of money the US government has to pay its bills tumbled to forty nine point five billion dollars, the lowest since twenty twenty one. It raises the chances of a default early next month if the statutory debt limit isn't raised or suspended before then. Republicans and the White House are narrowing their differences, but still have not reached an agreement over raising the debt limit. Today we heard from Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman. He said that budget negotiators risk harming the nation by cutting programs that support education and childcare.
Speaker 5: What's happening right now is that in the effort to hold down headline spending, right now, we're actually kind of disinvesting in the country's future, and that's pretty alarming.
Speaker 1: Krugman also pushed back on suggestions that the surge in US government debt would undermine the dollar's role as the world's reserve currency. There's simply no obvious candidate to replace it, but he did say that the greenback could be hurt by repeated confrontation over the debt ceiling and a series of defaults.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 3: In recent weeks, of course, we saw a First Republican trouble. JP Morgan Chase came to the rescue. Well now, JP Morgan Chases Justice and around about one thousand First republic employees Bloomberg's and Kate's reports.
Speaker 7: JP Morgan is offering full time or transitional jobs to almost eighty five percent of the nearly seven thousand First Republic staffers who are still working for the lender when it collapsed, while the rest were told they would not be hired. Those who are not being brought on by JP Morgan will get wages and benefits covering sixty days, and they'll be provided an additional love sum payment and continuing benefits coverage. A spokesperson for JP Morgan says the move is meant to bring clarity and closure to First Republic employees in Washington and Kate's Bloomberg Daybreak Asia well.
Speaker 1: On the FED, traders fully priced in another quarter point rate hike by the Central Bank within the next two policy meetings, and a more than one in two chants that the high could arrive as soon as next month. Today, Boston Fed President Susan Collins said that there are promising signs that inflation is cooling and that may impact the Fed's next move. Is Colin's speaking at the Community College of Rhode Island.
Speaker 8: While inflation is still too high, there are some promising signs of moderation, and I believe that we may be at or near the point where monetary policy can pause raising interest rates, and this will provide an opportunity to more fully assess the impact of the actions we've taken to date.
Speaker 1: Colin said that a low predictable inflation rate is needed, and she added that officials should approach policy on a meeting by meeting basis and take a comprehensive assessment of information that's available at the time. Collins doesn't vote on the Federal Open Market Committee this year. Policymakers will meet next June thirteenth and fourteenth.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Japan Governor Kazuu Aida indicated his desire to hold onto policy flexibility, playing down the importance of wages on any single economic data sets a trigger for change. He spoke to selected media in Tokyo.
Speaker 10: On how wages might lead to policy change. We aren't targeting wage growth itself. If we have sustainable and stable inflation of two percent, it's natural that wages should also rise. The key point for our policy decision is whether inflation will rise in a stable and sustainable manner at two percent.
Speaker 3: Way It's remarks leave room for the BOJ to nimble, a b nimble about how and when it'll be convinced about the prospect of price gains. It's a science which you'll leave investors and should I say speculators guessing about the trimming of policy change. The BOJ board next meets on the fifteenth and sixteenth.
Speaker 1: I'm Brian Curtis along with Rishad Salamat. We will be looking more closely at all the enthusiasm over AI and a little bit more on Nvidio and the spoils being shared there, as well as some of the top stories.
Speaker 4: We have.
Speaker 1: Joanne Feene coming up, a partner and portfolio manager at Advisors Capital Management. If we have time, we'll also get to May twan's earnings jumping twenty seven percent and taking a closer look at Ali Baba saying that he plans to hire some fifteen thousand people this year, including three thousand university graduates. That's all ahead. Now it's time for global news. Well, debt sealing negotiations are ongoing, but no deal is in sight. Dan Schwartzman has more from the Bloomberg newsroom.
Speaker 11: Dan, Yeah, Brian's not good right now. Negotiations are continuing, with reports saying that the divide between the two sides has now rowed, but there was no agreement in site. President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy continued to communicate from their offices, with Biden saying that he wouldn't agree to certain Republican demands.
Speaker 12: Republicans passed the bill that would make huge cuts and important programs and millions of working in middle class Americans count os huge cuts and number of teachers, police officers, border control agents, and it increased white times for Social Security claims, and I won't agree to that.
Speaker 11: The President was speaking from the White House. Next Tuesday is emerging as the possible deadline to get a deal done, as Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has said that her department could run out of cash on June first. On June second, social Security payments to millions of Americans' is due, which has added pressure on both sides to work out a deal soon.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 11: Republican Congressman from Florida Byron Donald says, maybe it's best to have a default if.
Speaker 6: There's not enough sense between Republicans and Democrats to get this done and do it the appropriate way, just because they want to protect their political agenda nobody should be geting.
Speaker 11: Paid Representative Donalds was speaking just to day after Fitch Ratings placed the triple A credit rating for the United States on watch, with a chance at a potential downgrade if a deal is not reached in time. The leader of the Oathkeeper is a right wing group that took part on the January sixth attack on the US Capitol, has been sentenced to eighteen years in prison. Stewart Rhodes was sentenced by US District Judge I meet Meta in Washington for action deemed amount of terrorism. The prison term is the longest so far handed down in the government's prosecution of more than one thousand people who stormed the Capitol to try to disrupt the certification of Joe Biden's election as president. The United States, along with coalition allies, say they'll begin to train Ukrainian pilots to fly F sixteen fighter jets shortly. Both Denmark and the Netherlands have taken the lead on the initiative to have the pilots ready to fly the American made jetting combat. Last week, the Biden administration did in about face and decided to allow countries to send the single engind fighters to Ukraine, who have long been asking for them. South Korea and the US have begun their biggest ever live fire drills. The first day of the exercise took place just twenty five miles from the border with North Korea, which has threatened retaliation for the drills. Around two five hundred soldiers and six hundred and ten pieces of equipment, which includes fighter jets, tanks, and rocket launchers, participated. South Korean President unsukyul has been advocating for joint drills between the two allies after his predecessor moonjay In had suspended and scaled them back during his reign, along with former President Trump as both sides tried to improve relations with the North. A man has been arrested in London after crashing his car into the gates of Downing Street, the road which includes the residence of the Prime Minister. The driver was arrested by armed police officers who continued to investigate the incident. There were no reported injuries following the crash, which occurred around four to twenty in the afternoon. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's office did not comment if Sunek was in his residence when the incident occurred. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in more than one hundred and twenty countries. I'm Dan Schwartzman. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: I'm Brian Curtis, along with Rashad Salama, and our guest is Joan Feene, partner and portfolio manager at Advisors Capital Management. Joanne, we laid out all the top stories today. Everybody knows what's ongoing with the debt ceiling talks and FED positioning in China's uneven recovery. You have to say one thing about this year. It's been an excellent one for stock picking. Do you think that continues?
Speaker 13: Well, Hey, Brian, Yeah, I think so. And the reason is there's still lots of sources of uncertainty. You mentioned right, the debt sealing, but also you know the concern that we could end up in a recession later on in the year. Interest rates are going to remain high and that's becoming an increasing challenge, certainly for some segments of the consumer population.
Speaker 3: All right, well certainly, but do you think that the sin of reserve is in u of you getting it right?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Broadly, Shad.
Speaker 13: I mean, look, the inflation that emerged because of the pandemic and the shortages and the ongoing strength and demand because of all the government transfers certainly put the US economy in a bit of a pickle. And it's you know, it's it was severe and it's going to take a long time to get inflation back down. You know, in our view, they're doing the right thing here, and I think they're trying to signal then interest rates are going to have to remain high for longer than what the market currently expects. Whether that leads us to a recession in the form of a surge in unemployment has yet to be determined, because that labor market is awfully strong. So can the Fed balance Hey, maybe lower demand without getting that unemployment up, that's the big question.
Speaker 1: But Joan, don't you think where the rubber meets the road is once you start seeing layoffs and recession kind of settling in that even if inflation is a little high, that the approach by the Fed may switch a little. It may, you know, move a little bit more to preventing a deep recession rather than bringing inflation down that last mile from say four percent to two percent. Don't you think that's likely given what we know about the FED, I.
Speaker 9: Wouldn't say it's likely. Clearly they have a duel mandate.
Speaker 13: You're right, they have to do stabilized prices and you know, support maximum employment. However, the fedch credibility is at stake here and that's what leads us to believe it's more likely that they are going to keep pushing against the inflation you know trends that we have, and so you know it'd be unlikely for them to change that target that's been communicated for just so long.
Speaker 9: And you know, the data on the economy actually isn't so bad.
Speaker 13: We're certainly seeing some parts of the economy slow down, but that's to be expected to give in the surge parts of the economy saw during the during the COVID know, height of the crisis.
Speaker 9: But you know, look at the job numbers.
Speaker 13: They've actually been revised over the last few weeks downwards in terms.
Speaker 9: Of those unemployment numbers the initial claims.
Speaker 13: So it's not clear yet whether we're seeing any kind of broad weakening and labor market remains.
Speaker 1: You can't be you can't really be positive on equities with your view.
Speaker 9: We invest in specific equities.
Speaker 13: So we typically hold between forty and fifty equities and client portfolios in the various strategies that we offer, and so we may not be positive on the overall.
Speaker 9: Market like the S and P five hundred.
Speaker 13: But as you started out saying, right, is this a stock pickers situation?
Speaker 9: I agree it is.
Speaker 13: And so you know, you know, for example, you know we since since Nvidia is in the news, right, you know, we locked into AI many years ago. You know, I'm a former semiconductor analyst, and so you know, looking at Nvidia, A m D and Broadcom for example, all feed into the growth of data centers. Then you layered AI on top of that starting in the fall and became really publicly understood. And you know, we've been in these stocks for a long time. So there's room here still for growth in real sales and in real profits in parts of the economy, and I think that's where investors need to focus their attention.
Speaker 3: I want to pick up with that, and also just to use the same analogy that Brian did and say, you know where the rubber meats are is earnings. And there are some people and indeed there's a lot of evidence to show that these were no ways as bad as fear and perhaps you know, the thing is that's a shapey economies not heading off a cliff.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think that's that's certainly showing up in the data. Right, all these earnings reports coming in a little bit better, not all, but you know, on average coming in better than expected. But we shouldn't, you know, overlook the areas of weakness in the economy. You know, smartphones, PCs still attle low. Looks like inventory is clearing, that's going to be better. But the consumer you have to really watch and differentiate the types of.
Speaker 9: Consumers that are out there.
Speaker 13: You know, I think the middle market of retail of restaurants could face some real risk later on in the year as consumers continue to tighten their budgets. That's why we like instead, you know, a company like a TJ MAAX, for example, show in the middle of the consumer market.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Broadcom av Go there and also I mentioned earlier that atvan Test in Japan was up sixteen percent. Chip a chip testing devices company a TSMC rally twelve percent. There are a lot of other companies that are benefiting from this AI enthusiasm. How are you positioning there.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so you know, we have different types of strategies in our growth strategy. That's probably where we have the most AI exposure, and it's you know, it's in Nvidia, It's Broadcom, Microsoft, Amazon Service now on the software side, Splunk on the software side, AMD more chips, Qualcom is probably a little bit less exposed to AI, but potentially we don't own it in our growth strategy. We owned it imbalanced and then imbalanced, you know, which is a more conservative strategy.
Speaker 9: We don't go for as much as those are really high volatile stocks. But Taiwan Semi is a there.
Speaker 3: So actually, as you foremost semiconductor analyst Joe, and you know what separates AMD from the rest NOTMD I beg your Pardonervidia given what it actually produced in terms of its results and its forecast. Nobody else has beaten that bullish and you know, is anybody like that out there? Is it just a one off?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 13: It really does come down to the technology, and what Nvidia has developed over time is a certain type of graphic processing unit a GPU that can serve as a sidecar, if you like, to the main processor in the servers CPU, and that acceleration of computation is everything you need for AI.
Speaker 1: Joined feoene partner and portfolio manager Advisor's Capital Management. This is Bloomberg Daybreak Asia, your morning brief on the story is making news from Hong Kong to Singapore and Wall Street.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed every day, on Apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each day on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Our flagship New York station is available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, Sirius XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Brian Curtis.
Speaker 9: And I'm rashand Slam.
Speaker 3: Join us again tomorrow for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg day Break Asia