Speaker 1: Fishing Filtered, Episode one oh seven, and we have a very special guest if Auto Lopez, shortstop for the Miami Marlins. Otto, how are we doing? Just before we talk about your season so far? Just six out of seven games you guys have won? Now, what has been working for the Miami Marlins within the last two weeks?
Speaker 2: Hi? Hi, guys, what's up? I would say, what has been working so far?
Speaker 3: I was so many quality that bad that we haven't take these couple of days and a should The defense is good, the pitching, I mean, all the little details that we put it into, like it's it's all working so far.
Speaker 2: So we feel pretty good what we've been doing. Our work at the field. Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, you're coming off a year where you struggled a little bit against some left handed pitching, and now this year it's gonna been a comple polar opposite.
Speaker 5: You are absolutely demolishing opposite sided pitching. What work did you do over the off season to be able to have such incredible numbers slugging over a thousand against last ended pitching?
Speaker 2: Just what's got into that change?
Speaker 3: It's all about, like you just said, like the numbers we'll see in Uh, I'll be able to sit down and look at it like.
Speaker 2: Where I had to be.
Speaker 3: I had to be better like work on those details and like right now, like I'm working like a lot of more angles machines, like seeing different angle for a match up kind of like the lefties and pitching side. And I would say, is have me give me like more comforting off the plate facing those lefties and even like sigh arms and I feel pretty good so far. What like the work that I did in the off season and what I'm showing now.
Speaker 6: When you do those different angles from different machines and stuff, are you going more for a feel in the box or is it more a visual thing? What what makes you feel more comfortable? And why why do you do those specific things.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit about though, of course, the feeling.
Speaker 3: It's when you practice and you want to feel good and actually like see like different angles and make you like get your feeling of being comfortable on facing like different angle. So like what I'm trying to do is no matter where I put the machine or where angle what I would I be facing. I just trying to like just feel comfortable and feel the position that I can be strong and swing alto.
Speaker 1: Another big change for you this season is the bad speed. It's it's way up at like two or three miles an hour quicker. You're hitting for more power, which I'm assuming definitely has to do with the bad speed.
Speaker 2: What would you attribute to that?
Speaker 1: I know you guys use something called the stack bag, if you can maybe talk about that a little bit. Who introduced that to and and how much of the help is that actually?
Speaker 2: When then when you can translate onto the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the stag has been uh I would say the Applaus for us. Joe there, our director hitting coach, he he was the one bringing this.
Speaker 2: Spind training and.
Speaker 3: I say it has to make a huge different of my vellows the swing. But yeah, it has been a lot of help to like just uh maintaining those feeds on and being comfortable swinging on like on the games because it's a little bit different because you have to see the ball and swing hard as you can, but like a Perticio Percisio spot, you.
Speaker 2: Know, uhlo I will follow up on that.
Speaker 5: Another sort of innovative thing that the Mardels have incorporated is using these I guess lighter balls or software balls should say, for batting practice. When I first heard, I thought it was a little bit peculiar, just because you know, once you do face a real baj lely basedball and you get jammed a little bit's gonna feel a little bit of a shock to your hands.
Speaker 2: And how how do you feel about these.
Speaker 4: You know, different sort of balls being used during batting practice versus a real game.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like it move feels like incredibles.
Speaker 3: Makes it makes it like a different and then the real ball. So when you're facing those those small of the balls, it's kind of like moves to the angle, like it goes like right up and infusing thinking it just it just makes it harder to have a gun deck. And I would say, like that's what we're trying to do here with the Marlins. Make a more realistic to the game, so we when we get to the game, it makes it easier.
Speaker 5: So so regular balls they dive less than these balls.
Speaker 4: It's like it's easier, it's easier to hit and every yeah.
Speaker 2: Kind of not easier to hit because.
Speaker 3: You know, but like the more harder you make the practice, like that's how we see in it. The more hard we make the practice, the more like games.
Speaker 6: So it would be helpful whenever you're facing a guy that has a lot of ride on his fastball, because in your mind, when you're seeing a regular baseball, your mind is telling you usually it ends up at a certain spot. But some guys have better carry. So you're able to raise your eyesight and you can practice that almost trick your mind because you have to swing on top of some of those you think get on top of the ball, correct, right, That are some of the vocabulary when there's the guys that ride.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's kind of like what you say, but like what it does is it has the ride, but with with doseball that they're so much lighter than the regular ball, so it has more spin. So uh, it just make your your swing, like we'll say the regular buzz just ride a little bit or like less than what you're thinking, but you exaggerate a little bit more to.
Speaker 2: Swing off be on top. So when the game was happening, I know, when you're in the game, like.
Speaker 3: You're not thinking about that, but like your train your mind to just get on top or like depends on what phase, what picture you're going to face that day.
Speaker 7: With over thirty five million downloads, seakeeek is the number one rated ticketing app and crats. There are many many baseball games on the inventory to check out all summer long. This is the season now, it is baseball baseball season. Not many other options for your sports wise. I know you can go anywhere you want to go with Seakeek. There's so many tickets to choose from, but baseball center stage. Now for the next couple months.
Speaker 8: School's out, I'm going to watch some baseball games, some big league games, all in my area, and I want to know exactly what it looks like. And I also want the best deal, so I'm looking for the Green, not the.
Speaker 7: That's right there. Green hooks you up with the best deals on the app. Of course, we have the code it's Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll download the app if you don't have it already, and you'll have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use that code later.
Speaker 2: Thank you. See geek altho.
Speaker 4: How would you discover evaluate your season defensively, I'm curious. So we're obviously all used to you being one of the better defensive shorts ups in Major League Baseball. You're still grading out tremendously well, but it just feels neither are a couple more plays than there were last year, or maybe you didn't get to How.
Speaker 2: Would you evaluate your defense this year? I would say it's been good.
Speaker 3: I know I've been working like more than a little details that be put it like arrows and stuff, but like I will.
Speaker 2: Viothering my stuff to more.
Speaker 3: See what I did and see what I can work for and like seeing the past what like I did wrong and more get better this year. So what I'm training is like right now, like I go early in the game, I go early practice and just work on those those little things like it makes it like like we're doing in the cage, like make it like harder.
Speaker 2: So in the game too, it became a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: What's the toughest part of the transition that you had to make going from second base to shortstop? But what's the biggest thing you took away from that? What was the toughest part of it? And overall, just what's your comfort level at the position.
Speaker 3: Right now, I have to throw harder. I have to throw harder and move a little bit more my feet.
Speaker 2: So it's just those two changes that I've been just changed so far.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you and you and X up the middle are two of the best in the league defensively and offensively. Obviously when you when you combined, how much did playing with him in twenty twenty five help with the the I guess the connection or the feel with him, how much did that help you guys be better defensively?
Speaker 2: It helps a lot being you player to the guys.
Speaker 3: You would just spread like the last couple of years, just rebuild a connection and it is great and great so every where we do like we're trying to do it together so like we can know each other a little bit more.
Speaker 2: So I would say it's pretty good so far. Now.
Speaker 6: So I've been trying to come up with like a dual name. I don't want to say Batman and Robin because both of you guys are like the Batman. I don't know, maybe like Batman and Superman.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: If you have a better one, let me know, But do you think that you two, you and X are the best up, the in the middle, infielders, the best in the game right.
Speaker 3: Now, I would say so, like, I feel pretty comfortable on who I have on my side, so I'll say yes for myself and an next knowing that the work that he's done like so far, it's incredible to see that and just be part of that Louis Fabi.
Speaker 2: Like seeing him growing and even like making plays. It's I would say, to how you do it? Alto just a.
Speaker 9: Little bit more than a couple of years ago, you had been designated for assignment twice within a month, right and now a couple of years later, you're sitting here leading Major League Baseball and hits, you're tearing the cover of the ball, and you are potential to be a National.
Speaker 2: League All Star this season.
Speaker 4: Because what does that feel like to know that you've come so far to potentially be a nationally All Star?
Speaker 3: You just said, man, I come from so from so far, and going back to those days, it's I remember like it was tough. I even told myself that I couldn't made it again. So when I got the change with the Marlins, I would tell myself that I was the only tent and I have to like take advantage of.
Speaker 2: Them, And.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I go flashback, and like I get emotional because in that moment, nobody was there for like believe in me. And so now that like I have put so much work on and seeing what I've been done, it's it's another type of emotion, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Auto, you have a lot of people watching this, a lot of Marlins fans who want to hear from me. Why why should Auto Lopez be representing the Miami Marlins in the twenty twenty six All Star Game this year?
Speaker 2: Oh man, all the work that I've been putting in, all the.
Speaker 3: How the did this treat the how the team has treated me, how defense by how cheering me.
Speaker 2: It is something special.
Speaker 3: I wish I wish I could just represent the Marlins at the All Star Break, at the All Star.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be so fun.
Speaker 3: I know this experience that I've been dreaming forever and and I can't wait.
Speaker 10: And I'm sure a J can can attest to this, But this is one of you and X are one of the better middle infields in Marlin's history, and a J was there for a lot of decord and the Danniege of for Rea.
Speaker 11: I think you guys surpassed them, maybe Hanley and Uglo that could be the next step. Before we let you go Auto, we have a couple of quick, rapid fire questions for you if we got a couple of minutes. Well, first, before we do that, when I ask you about the World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 2: This year play for team, can I dispose that experience?
Speaker 3: Like, Oh, the experience was amazing, I would say, always saying right now every time the players asking me, uh, they asked me yesterday too, and it's it was one of the things that I just fired me on for the season most like because the experience it was so much like playoff games, even like when I played like in dr like it was it was so emotional that that it's just game ready, like screen training is a little bit different because everybody's getting ready and but like those game is.
Speaker 2: More like competing, like you see pictures that you never phaze.
Speaker 3: And and just compete against other countries.
Speaker 2: Like also one's the best for them.
Speaker 7: Support for today's episode comes from Square, and they've got big news. During squares bi annual Releases event, they launched a wave of innovative new tools to help local businesses run faster smarter and more profitably. Squares awesome. Around Orlando, where AJ and I live, we go to the farmers' markets around town. I go to the one near Lake Iola. It's awesome. I use Square to pay with my phone. I get the receipt right away. It's great.
Speaker 8: And so many businesses, not just small businesses, uses. So many restaurants and businesses I walk into, not only in Orlando, but all over the country have these and you just use your credit card, pops out, or receipt emails it right to you. It's so fast, it's so efficient, it's so hassle free. It's one of the great things that you have going.
Speaker 7: Square launched its most powerful tools yet, designed to give local businesses a competitive edge without the complexity. If you're ready to sell smarter, run faster, and stress less right now, you can get up to two hundred dollars off Square hardware at Square dot com slash go slash foul. That's Square dot com slash go slash f o u l run your business smarter with Square. Get started today.
Speaker 2: And then so really quick.
Speaker 4: We're You've played in pretty much every single Major League ballpark.
Speaker 11: I would like to know your favorite stadium to play it, and your least favorite.
Speaker 2: Oh, Miami is the best? Yes, yes, yes, And get to the guys.
Speaker 3: I'll be asking the same questions and they all say the same thing.
Speaker 2: Is the best field I ever play? And not because it is my team, not because of that.
Speaker 3: It's more like field like stadium, like I don't know, like something here, it's it's very fun to play.
Speaker 2: And least favorite. I don't. No, I like them all.
Speaker 3: That I liked less because this is a dream that I've been dreamed to playing the big and play god.
Speaker 6: So like, there was a field that I didn't like. It was the new Atlanta Stadium because I didn't pitch good there. I believes there, and I'm like, I don't like that part. I like the old Turner field. So that but of course, so like you know, you play in the Big League, of course I like every field. I'm in the big This is my dream, but my dream. But when I kind of dissected a little bit more, I was like, Nah, that new well, I don't even know what that park.
Speaker 3: If I don't hit good in one party, I might be saying that one there you go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's play for you.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, he's just sitting everywhere, so it doesn't help much.
Speaker 2: I'm going to.
Speaker 5: Compare the two answers after Auto gives says, I'm gonna ask how.
Speaker 2: They compare to A j is really quick.
Speaker 5: We're gonna talk about the clubhouse food on the road.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna let you talk about the Marlin Stadium anymore. Clubhouse food on the road.
Speaker 5: Who has the best clubhouse food in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 3: No, the clubhouse, I say stuff, because all of them has been good. I like New York, but the Yankees one, okay, I know the chef to uh oh okay, well and.
Speaker 2: Far of marlings to. I mean there's so many, but.
Speaker 1: Like the Yankees.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we went one time this year, so right, but I know that raff.
Speaker 2: It's one of their friends in the RS. So he when I man, I was like, oh, you work here and get trate as well.
Speaker 6: It's do you know why it's the Yankees because they do that on purpose.
Speaker 2: They have all that good to get there.
Speaker 6: They try to get you fat so the next day you're playing Fuggers. They have the best food in the league, Like they have the cross stations, they have all these.
Speaker 2: Different you were there too, so you know, yeah, I know.
Speaker 6: I playing there, I would leave there fifteen pounds heavier because they got all the stuff there. It's a tactic, man, I'm on there. I even told the Jeff last time I was there, I was like, yeah, I can get fat now. When I was playing here, I didn't eat here because I know what you'all trying to do.
Speaker 2: You know you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Then, yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 5: So that's your answer to agent Yankee Stady and best clubhouse food?
Speaker 4: Yeah good, okay, duly noted, And it'll be a tough one to compare for the two. But Otto, who is the toughest major league picture that.
Speaker 2: You faced in your career?
Speaker 3: I have few, all right, There's a Christo that I first this year and even like I have success, but it was tough to put to to face him because.
Speaker 2: Angle and.
Speaker 3: Like how he moves about too and also has been like oh but like I can't say because they if they see this, they're gonna be like, but yeah, there there's Grissel. There's of course Paul Skiing. We faced him a lot Wheelers Sunday, Yeah Sundays. I know we're facing him soon. So how did he didn't see this, all.
Speaker 2: Right, I don't think. I don't think Paul listen to Fish on filter get to him.
Speaker 5: They could. So I'll pivot it to a J. Who's the toughest hitter you've had to face?
Speaker 3: We got, we got Freeman, we got Yeah this year Tarver. He goes off the hitters that we have to be careful with, like where we put the Boa.
Speaker 2: It can be like all the side of the bark so right, and the few Harper.
Speaker 6: So and one guy counts as as as both Hey, the hitter and the and the picture.
Speaker 2: And the pitching we faced him both. That's gotta be one of the toughest one. All right.
Speaker 1: We will wrap it up here Auto. We really appreciate the time or let you get prepared for Game two against the Arizona Every Yeah, tough front for you guys, but got the big win yesterday.
Speaker 2: So we're wrapping up here from Isaac Outo.
Speaker 3: A J.
Speaker 1: Myself will see you guys all next week out and as always, go Fish.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah,