Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, shit is Saturday, November first, Saturday November first, aka too damn early to be putting up Christmas decorations. And with that, welcome everybody to this episode of Aby and TJ Robe. Let's get the let's get the rule right. What would you say? Is the general rule? Everybody understands when do Christmas decorations go up?
Speaker 2: So my understanding always was after Thanksgiving? Yes, so yes, you have your Thanksgiving meal and then the Friday after Thanksgiving you were given permission, so to speak, to go get your Christmas tree, cut it down, whatever, and start decorating for Christmas. But that has changed, dramatic.
Speaker 1: It's changed. Okay, that's the general rule. What has yours been? Has that been yours?
Speaker 2: Oh? That's always okay.
Speaker 1: We don't mess with, we don't touch, we don't deal with, We don't talk about Christmas.
Speaker 2: Until Thanksgiving is done. So like the day after Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's November first, that we said, and we talk, and there are people out there getting Christmas trees, There are people out there putting up Christmas decorations. There are people out there getting in the Christmas spirit, to which you say, what to those people?
Speaker 2: Too soon.
Speaker 1: You think it's too soon.
Speaker 2: Let's enjoy the harvest. So yes, because already I believe it started yesterday today I started hearing my first jingle bell Christmas commercials and they're like, wait, no, I'm sorry. No. Literally the day after Halloween I heard my first Christmas commercial.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, let me ask you what. Okay, you say that now, But in the moment when you hear a Christmas song, when you hear it, come on, what did it make you feel?
Speaker 2: Well? Yes, that's the thing. I don't want to I don't want to be too indulgent because wait, because it is absolutely a sound that elicits joy and.
Speaker 1: Elier because it feels.
Speaker 2: Too soon, and then you feel like you're being taken advantage.
Speaker 1: Of Oh stop, stop, stop stopping.
Speaker 2: I feel like maybe this is like I'm falling prey to the marketing bullshit of the season versus me actually just loving this season. And right now, I would say, we are in harvest season. So give me your apple picking, give me your pumpkin spice latte, give me your Thanksgiving corn whatever yet, harvest related anything, I'm all in.
Speaker 1: Are you telling you you're not mad? Okay? I got to back up on a few things here. You just told me there's something that makes you actually feel good and puts you in a good mood and makes you feel joyous. Aka Christmas music, Christmas spirit, Christmas tunes. So why wouldn't you accept and I'm getting at something because that is a part of a lot of research that has been done that people do get into a better mood earlier. It's not just a Christmas spirit, but it puts them in a better mood. Is actually good for your health and mental health. Why wouldn't you want that earlier?
Speaker 2: Because it needs to be authentic, and for it to be authentic, it has to be at the right time of the year. Don't fool me into thinking I'm already in Christmas mode when I haven't even had Thanksgiving anticipation.
Speaker 1: We're getting there, We're building up to it. It's not like it's may fish.
Speaker 2: If you rush it, it feels forced, and if it feels it wors it doesn't feel authentic. And if it doesn't feel authentic, then it isn't real to me. Period.
Speaker 1: Wow, it feels like you should drop your mic. It felt like that was a moment.
Speaker 2: If I could have, I would have.
Speaker 1: But this is the argument. Now. Obviously we have here and there seen some jingle bells. Right even before Halloween came around, you see some things here or there. But now things are really going to ramp up.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's on now from here on out for Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think, Okay, So a big part of it for you, that was the other thing. I just actually dritted it down here. A big part of it for you is not just a matter of being fooled into this other season. You think. The earlier you start talking about Christmas, you are negating. You're throwing away a whole season in the middle.
Speaker 2: You're making it less special. And there is is something really authentic and cool about that autumnal Thanksgiving period that doesn't have anything to do with Christmas. So we're like just throwing that almost like I don't know, under the bed, we're sweeping it under the rug, and we're not enjoying it. And there's some beauty in that, Like I just think about even like from a like what you eat standpoint, what you drink standpoint, Like, yes, let's not bring pumpkin spice lattes to Starbucks in August. Let's wait until September and then let's let them ride until December and then we can move over into the peppermint whatever. Like I get it, But like I think we try to like jump ahead of what is because we're trying to I don't know, like somehow get more enjoyment out of the anticipation. But then somehow you negate the anticipation or the excitement of what act is going to be, and you don't you forget to actually enjoy what is. I think we're just jumping ahead too quickly in general period.
Speaker 1: I mean when historically for you, your family, when do you get a Christmas tree?
Speaker 2: So my mom, this is why I love a real one, because my mom always didn't like the messiness and had a fake one. But she brought it out and we decorated it the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Say, I brought it out.
Speaker 2: That's my mom had it like perfectly packaged and stored artificial.
Speaker 1: Yes, you grew up on an artificial tree.
Speaker 2: I grew up.
Speaker 1: I did that.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it make so much sense now?
Speaker 1: Holy hell? I did not. Oh wow, I rarely find a moment that I learned something about you. I did not know that. Holy hell.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it was brought out on the Friday or the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and then it was already pre lit, so then you would just have to just you know, be a part of this kind of quasi ceremonial hanging of the ornaments. Yes, that's what we did. How about you that.
Speaker 1: I think as a kid, it was always never before Thanksgiving. Ever, ever, I don't think we all went out and it was a thing to do it the day after, but it was never the anytime before. So I think those are the traditional times. The majority of people say, yes, you should get it that even the day certainly not before Thanksgiving. The majority say after Thanksgiving. I think a lot of people traditionally do do it the day immediately after. It's a fun it.
Speaker 2: Is a fun next step in the tradition of the calendar year.
Speaker 1: And then some people wait and say the first of December, like December rolls around the first day of that to do it. Then all of those I can understand. I struggle if anybody here on November first is running out and getting a Christmas tree.
Speaker 2: I think there are plenty of people who are doing that.
Speaker 1: You think, so you known anybody who do say we just.
Speaker 2: Went to pottery barn it was two weeks ago. How big was the Christmas section when you first watch it was the first thing you saw. It was everything. This was two full weeks.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was retail. Okay, they're getting ready for the season. But do you have you ever known anybody to get a Christmas tree before? Thanks here?
Speaker 2: Yes, after Halloween? Yes, there are. There is a contingency of folks who get their Christmas trees after Halloween.
Speaker 1: Well, you've known somebody, That's what I'm asking. Yeah, you've known.
Speaker 2: Somebody decorations from Halloween to Christmas. This weekend whenever the next weekend is Yes.
Speaker 1: You're still friends with these people.
Speaker 2: They're just really into the seasons.
Speaker 1: Why skip right? Why is what does the decoration look like? How about this? Because we have pumpkins here, we write we decorated kind of for Halloween ish, but it was more autumn. What is the transition from Halloween? If you've got ghosts and goblins and spiders and things like that, and cobwebs around the house, what is the transition that gets you to Christmas?
Speaker 2: I guess you could have pumpkins and evergreens collected together. That would look pretty, and you could merge the two that way, just the.
Speaker 1: Thought, oh boy, all right, well you might not folks, wherever you are, you might not be alone. We there is some polling, there are some surveys, There is some research that has been done on this matter to help us understand just how many folks out there think now it's too early. Stay with us, folks will tell you how many of you are in that same boat. We'll be right back, all right, folks, welcome back. We continue with our I guess debate. I guess we're on the same page. You're not on the same page right about this? When should you decorate for Christmas?
Speaker 2: Absolutely only the day after Thanksgiving? Period? I will not actually accept any conversation that says it should be sooner.
Speaker 1: Really, so if I wanted to do so, you take issue.
Speaker 2: I would have a hard time with that. Yes, I would say, babe, don't rush something that's so great, like, let it be what it is, all right?
Speaker 1: So would you be surprised to hear that about it's about fifty to fifty of people who think it's okay to decorate before Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: Yes, I am surprised by that.
Speaker 1: It's okay to decorate before Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: What if your spouse disagrees with you. How does that go over in a household?
Speaker 1: Well, in a healthy relationship, it should be fine because I don't think holiday decoration is not going to be the thing they get you. And if it is, there's another problem.
Speaker 2: You're right, you never argue about what you're actually a part. It is about period. Okay, that's fair. It's how you handle conflict.
Speaker 1: But you're surprised to hear if that many people are actually interested? Are okay with decorating?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 1: Before thank you?
Speaker 2: Oh my? Yes? Before? Yes? Because Thanksgiving to me is as soon as it should begin. A Christmas decorations, yes or guess yes, Holli god Christmas?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll be dawns. Well we have now, folks. A. I don't think robes a dilemma in this house necessarily. I am the day after, like, I want to make an event to actually go find a Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: I like that too.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're on board with that.
Speaker 2: We're in yes, same page.
Speaker 1: If you wanted to do it ahead of time Christmas decorations. What if I wanted to go get the Christmas tree ahead of time? Would you be opposed to doing so?
Speaker 2: I guess I think just yes, instinctively, yes, but if it was really important to you, it would be something I could can see it on.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, then where are you on the idea that it is more so than autumn or Thanksgiving decorations. Putting up Christmas decorations actually is a mood booster. It actually is something that helps people's energy, their mental health and going about their day. It absolutely does, So why not why shouldn't we do it as early as possible?
Speaker 2: That's so funny? Obviously, Yes, of course I agree it's a mood booster, just like I'm somebody who loves planting plants and flowers. Those are mood boosters when you start like embracing the season. So I think when you fully start bringing the inside out the outside in, you start like recognizing. So yes, part of a Christmas tree is bringing the outside in. When you are indoors and you can't be outside as often, you can bring the nature into you. So yes, I'm bracet but I think pushing it or forcing it before it's necessary is kind of like almost a neediness that I don't love.
Speaker 1: But why you say forcing? Why do you have to use the word forcing?
Speaker 2: Because I don't know. I just feel like there's a season for things.
Speaker 1: Well, if you can't wait to get to it, you're not forcing it. It's just, oh my god, I am anticipating this so much that I'm jumping in that weird way.
Speaker 2: I feel like you lessen the impact of it or the effectiveness of it, because you're diluting it by making it last longer or bringing it sooner, or almost having it meet your needs versus you being excited about its existence. So if you knew every year on December first, this is when the tree came out or whatever, you get to anticipate it. But if you were like, I want it now, I don't know. There's something about like having milestones or moments from a seasonal standpoint almost fit your needs versus you anticipating their existence. There might be some self reflection necessary, that's all geez tute.
Speaker 1: I'm just maybe I just like Christmas lights. Why do I have to go seek out a therapist because you don't have an understanding of why I like Christmas lights On November the second.
Speaker 2: If you want a room with fairy lights and Christmas lights, I am all ears like I do get the joy they bring and there is some fun in having rooms like that, Like we're about to actually have a room with some neon lights, Like, I get it, Like there is some fun having certain kinds of lights in rooms. Like I get how. I am such a believer in your surroundings impacting your mood and your peace and your joy and all of that. So, yeah, decorate. Decorating is fun. Yes, decorate for every season and like, lean into it wholeheartedly. I love that we've done that for fall here in our place, and we will do it when winter is upon us. And yes, it's fun.
Speaker 1: Something I didn't think about until now is the fact that maybe fall isn't somebody's season. Yeah, Like there's some seasons that just starnt your jam, right, and maybe, yeah, this isn't my thing. I actually like that one, So I'm just gonna skip ahead. I didn't think about that that as Actually you and I have talked about this and that I think right, Fall is that.
Speaker 2: Your favorite fall is my favorite?
Speaker 1: Yes, follows your favorite thing. You would hate to skip over fall?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't want to, Like, I don't want to jump ahead to winter?
Speaker 1: Correct, Okay, so that informs kind of your opinion.
Speaker 2: Head to the Christmas tree when you can still have pumpkins. Okay, but that's you, right, that may very well be true and okay.
Speaker 1: Very much informed your thought process on this thing, yes, but you take autumn away from me?
Speaker 2: What's your favorite season?
Speaker 1: I need springing, Some are bad, some are for sure. Winter is a distant fourth, but I need spring in summer for sure, and again fall autumn. What is the word you love using? Autumn?
Speaker 2: Autumnal? I love that word. It creates an ambiance that is just so cozy and fun and I love it. Yes, and that's exactly what's upon us right now as we depart from Halloween and head into Thanksgiving. And yes, Christmas is not that far behind, but let's embrace let's embrace November, and let's embrace Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. All right, y'all, So you think out there, but if you want to decorate, knock yourselves out if you want to wait until the after Thanksgiving like most normal folks do that as well. But no matter what, we always always appreciate you spending some time with us. But for now I am T. J. Holmes On, behalf of my partner. There, emmy robot. We will talk to us soon