Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: It is Verdict with Center, Ted Cruz, Ben Ferguson with you, and this is a special week in Review. We had the awesome opportunity to sit down with Elon Musk at the White House and we did it as a two part series this week. Some of you may have missed it, or you may want to share that with your family and your friends. So if you would do us a favor, because what Elon Musk had to say, we want.
Speaker 3: Everyone to hear it.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of info the media refuses to cover.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The good news is this interview went viral on x But if you are on other social media platforms, please share this podcast right now so that everyone can hear what mus said about waste, fraud and abuse in our government. He also had some amazing things to talk about when it comes to colonizing Mars and the idea that may actually become a reality.
Speaker 1: So grab this and share it.
Speaker 2: This is the entire interview, uninterrupted with Elon Musk at the White House.
Speaker 4: Well, we're in the White House right right now, and we're here with my friend Elon Musk, who really has not been doing much of anything, has not made any news. Is and nobody has noticed. Yeah, the impact.
Speaker 1: Welcome elon, thank you, Holy crap ah, yes wow. Let me just say, never a dull moment. Never a dull moment.
Speaker 4: The first fifty days the president has spent in office over the top, and the first fifty days you've spent. I don't think there's ever been anyone to have an impact the way you have.
Speaker 3: At the beginning.
Speaker 1: Let me start with a question.
Speaker 4: You know a lot about which was worse the mess you found at Twitter or the mess you found in the federal government.
Speaker 3: Well, it's hard to compete with the federal government.
Speaker 4: What's surprised you about the federal government? I assume you came in and assumed it was bad. Is it worse than you expected?
Speaker 3: It is worse than I expected. But on the plus side, that means there's more opportunity for improvement. So look, if you look on the bright side, there's actually a lot of opportunity for improvement in federal goverment expenditures because it's so bad. If it was a well run ship, it would be very difficult to improve. So like, but so now it's like, people say, well, how how do you figure out how to save money in the federal government. Well, it's like being in a room where the walls, the roof, and the floor are old targets any direction. Yeah, and you're your kindness. Wow, yeah, I'm sure you would agree.
Speaker 1: So a lot of folks have talked about like like.
Speaker 3: You can't right, this is going to any direction.
Speaker 1: A lot of the crazy expenditures, things like like two million bucks for sex change surgeries in Guatemala, an essential you know, transgendered mice, and and sesame street in Iraq, A lot of that has gotten the tention. But some of the stuff you've told me about, like tell us about computer licenses and government agencies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so most of what do just finding you don't need to shock comes. It's very obvious, basic stuff. So it in every govert department. I say every because we've not yet found a single exception. There are far too many software licenses and media subscriptions, meaning many more software licenses and media subscriptions than there are humans in the department.
Speaker 4: Like you were saying, like an agency with fifteen thousand people might have thirty thousand licenses. Yes, and even of the fifteen thousand employees, a good chunk of them hadn't used the license had never logged on or used the application.
Speaker 3: Yes, we found entire situations of software licenses or media subscriptions where there were zero logins.
Speaker 1: So it had and yet we were paying for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, the government's paying for thousands of licenses of software or media subscriptions and no one had ever logged in even once.
Speaker 1: Or credit cards. You found the same thing. With government credit cards.
Speaker 3: We found that there are twice as many credit cards as there are humans. And I still don't have a good explanation for why this is the case. And these are ten thousand dollar limit cards, so it's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Is it incompetent that you're finding or is this like the biggest money wandering scheme in the history of the world that you're finding.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think it's mostly If you say, look, what's the waste to fraud ratio, Yeah, in my opinion, it's it's like eighty percent wist twenty percent fraud. But you do have these sort of gray areas. For example, example be so uh, we saw a lot of payments going out of treasury that had no payment code and no explanation for the payment. And then we're we're we're we're trying to figure out what that payment is and we'd see that, Okay, that contract was supposed to be shut off, but but someone forgot to shut off that that contract and so the company kept getting money. Wow. Now is that waste or fraud? Both both? Yeah, you're not supposed to get you're not supposed to get it, but you but the the government sent it to you, and nobody from the government asked for it back. Take for example, the one the one point nine billion dollars given to Stacy Abrams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fake ng O, utter insanity.
Speaker 3: Explain the story.
Speaker 1: That's that's just corrupt. I think that's paying off cronies at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And by the way, she knew, like when you get two billion dollars, you don't miss that.
Speaker 1: That's not on accident.
Speaker 3: That's allegedly it was for like, uh, you know, environmentally friendly appliances or something. And they've given like like a hundred appliances so far for two billion dollars. It's very expensive toast that's fridge, it's nice. Is it's just obviously one of the biggest scam fordoles we've uncovered, which is really crazy, is uh? Is that is that the government can give money to a so called nonprofit with with very few controls, and then that and there's there's no auditing subsequently of that nonprofit, so there's no So this is where with the you know, one point nine billion of Stacey Abrams, who's who's that they didn't give themselves extremely lavished like insane salaries, expense everything yep, to the to the nonprofit, you know, buy jets and homes and all sorts of.
Speaker 1: Things, live like kings and queens. Yes on the taxpayer done.
Speaker 3: Correct. You mentioned this is happening at scale. It's not just one or two. We're seeing this everywhere.
Speaker 4: Now, one of the things you told me about is at least what you call say, magic money computers. Well, so tell us about it, because I've never heard of that until you brought that up.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you may think that these the government computers like all talk to each other, they synchronize, they add up what funds are going somewhere, and it's you know, it's coherent that that that the you know, there's and that and that the numbers, for example, that you're presented as a senator are actually the real numbers. And one would think we would think they're not okay. I mean, they're not totally wrong, but they're probably off by five percent or ten percent in some cases. So I call it magic money computer. Any computer which can just make money out of thin air best magic money.
Speaker 1: So how does that work?
Speaker 3: It just issues payments.
Speaker 4: And you said something like eleven of these computers a treasury that are that are sending out trillions in payments.
Speaker 3: They're mostly a treasury. Some are with the sum at HHS, some that there's one as one or two it states there's summit at DoD. I think we found now fourteen magic money computers. Gene, Okay, they just send money out of nothing.
Speaker 4: You have an ability to see where leverage points are and how things actually happen. So I remember back I think it was September October of this year, before the election. We didn't know who was going to win, and I was at your house in Austin. We were talking about it, and you said, you said, look, I don't want a job in Washington, and you said, all I want is the log in for every computer. And I remember thinking at the time that sounded kind of weird, like I just didn't get it. And I have to say what's interesting on this. If I would have thought like, okay, how do you reform government? Like sort of the traditional way to think about it is, okay, give me an orc chart, let me sit down with the people who are running agencies. And what you saw immediately is to understand what's really going on, get to the payment systems, get to the computers. Yeah, Like, why is getting to the computers so critical to understanding what's actually happening?
Speaker 3: Well, the government is run by computers. So you've got essentially several hundred computers that effectively run the government. And if you want to know, did you know that? Then no? Like, yeah, so when somebody, like even when the president issues an executive order, that's going to go through a whole bunch of people until ultimately it is implemented at a computer somewhere. And if you want to know what the situation is with the accounting and you're trying to reconcile accounting and get rid of waste and fraud, you must be able to analyze the computer databases. Otherwise you can't figure it out because all you're doing is asking a human who will then ask another human, ask another human, and finally usually ask some contractor will ask another contractor to your query under computer. Wow, that's how it actually works. So it's many layers D So the only way to reconcile the databases and get rid of waste and fraud is to to actually look at the computers and see what's going on. So that's what I call it. That's like, that's why when I sort of cryptically referred to reprogramming the matrix. You have to understand what's going on the computers. You have to reconcile the computer databases in order to identify the waste and fraud.
Speaker 4: I don't know that there was anyone in Congress who understood, certainly myself included, who understood the leverage that.
Speaker 1: Comes from the computer and the data.
Speaker 4: In particular, that Congress would think about give me a report on what your expenditures are rather than actually getting into the pipes. And I think that has been fascinating that it's let you uncover a bunch of crap that just nobody knew.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean in order for money to go to a van account. It's it's not like we're sending truckloads of cash all over the place where it's a we're wiring money. Right, we're sending money through the ACH system or through the Swift system. So in order for money to flow, it's going to flow electronically. So that's that's what you need to look at. You need to look at the actual electronic money flows.
Speaker 4: And Tesla and all your companies, you have accounting and you have every expenditure. You have it coded for what it's going for. Federal government doesn't work that way. They don't code what the money is going for.
Speaker 3: They do know, but they didn't. They didn't.
Speaker 4: And like one of the things that that you told me, you said, if any company kept its books the way the federal government does, they'd arrest the officers and put them in jail.
Speaker 3: Yes, if it was a poly company would be dealisted immediately, it would fail, it's ordered, and the officers of the company would be imprisoned. That's level of enough easiness in the middle. Unfortunately, it's deliberately or do you think this is in competence again, it's eighty percent. It's eighty percent incompetence or in twenty percent malice.
Speaker 2: If you look at DOGE now and you look at the government and what you're finding, what percentage have you guys even gotten to and how much of it is Mars where you haven't even gotten there yet because there's so much you're finding out here. I mean, how many you seem like a timeline guy when you say all I want to get in there and get all these you know, numbers and things. How far are we from the end game where you've seen it all, been able to process it all and fix it.
Speaker 3: I mean are we years away? Months away? Not yours? I mean recently confident that we'll be able to get a trillion dollars of waste and forward opt and that meaning that it will have what we'll have a net savings in f I twenty six, which thoughts in October obviously of a trillion dollars provider were allowed to We're allowed to continue and our progress is not impeded. And we're very public about what we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, put it on.
Speaker 3: The website about how we could be more transparent. Literally everything action we do, smaller, large, we put on the dose dot dot gov website and we post on the x handle. And when people complain about it and they say, oh, you're doing something costumes, I'm like, well, which of these costs?
Speaker 1: Daylight everyone knows exactly what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Extreme transparent. Yeah, I don't think it's anything's been this transparent ever.
Speaker 4: So five years ago you were a hero to the left, cool, you had electric cars, you had space, And in five years you've got.
Speaker 3: To go to a party in Hollywood and not get doddy looks. In fact, yeah, and now you might not even get invited. It's invited, but I don't know if I need to go.
Speaker 4: And I don't think it's an exaggeration to say today, after Donald Trump, the left hates you more than a person on earth.
Speaker 3: Yes, I appear to be number two. I mean, if you're judged by the various signs.
Speaker 1: They estrangements, it's Trump arrangement syndrome and Elon de arrangement syndrome. How is that for you?
Speaker 4: That's a little bit of whiplash of going from being like mister cool to the devil incarnate in just a couple of years. Is that is that kind of weird to experience that transformation?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Why do they hate you so much?
Speaker 3: Well, because we're we're clearly over the target. If those was ineffective, if we were not actually getting rid of a bunch of wasting forward and a bunch of that. For I mean, the ford we're seeing is overwhelmingly on the on the left. I mean it's not zero on the right, but these angos are almost all left wing NGOs that are being funded for example. Yep. So they hate me because Dog is being effective and Dog is getting rid of a lot of waste. For that, they were that people and left were taking advantage of that. That's that's that's where it comes out to. And and the single biggest thing that they're that they're worried about is that Dogs is going to turn off fraudulent payments of entitlements. I mean everything from Social Security, medicare, uh you know, unemployment, disability, smallpers administ registration loans, turn them off to illegals. This is that flux of the matter. Ye okay, this is this is the this is the thing that why they really hit my guts and want me to die.
Speaker 4: And do you think that's billions? Hundreds of billions? What do you think the scale is of that?
Speaker 3: I think across the country it's it's in the it's well, not of one hundred billion, maybe two hundred million. So uh, by by using entitlements fraud the Democrats have been able to attract and retain vast numbers of illegal immigrants.
Speaker 1: And buy voters and and buy.
Speaker 3: Voters exactly the basically bring in ten twenty million people who are beholden to the Democrats for governor handouts and will vote overwhelming the Democrats. Has been demonstrated in California. This is it's an election strategy. Yes, it's powered, Yes, and it doesn't take much to turn the swing states blue. I mean off in a swing state yet be won by ten twenty thousand votes. Sure, so the DAMS can bring in two hundred thousand illegals and over time get them legalized, not counting any cheating that takes place, because there is some cheating, but even without cheating, if you bake, if you if you bring in illegals that are ten x the voted differential in a swing state, it will no longer be a swing state, right, and the DAMS will win all the swing states just a matter of time, and America will be permanent deep blue socialist state. At the House, the Senate, YEP, the Presidency, and the Supreme Court will all go hardcore down. They will then further cement that by bringing even more aliens so you can't vote your way out of it. Their objement is to make it one party socialist state, and it will be much worse than California, because at least California is mitigated by the fact that someone can leave California.
Speaker 1: You can go to Texas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, So you're gonna make everywhere California but worse.
Speaker 4: By the way, the middle of the pandemic, I spent forty five minutes on the phone with Elon.
Speaker 1: He was still in California.
Speaker 4: I was walking my dog's snowflake and trying to convince you come to Texas. The commis in California can't stand you. We love you, we want you here, and you didn't quite go then, but you went not that long afterwards.
Speaker 3: I mean, the COVID actions almost killed Tesla because they let every other auto plant in the country was allowed to open, but ours, which was in California, was not a lot to open. Wow. Wow, So they almost killed Tesla.
Speaker 4: So as a personal matter, you do you ever regret it? Like five years ago you go to the OSCARS and mister cool and now you're you've got death threats every day, Like do you well?
Speaker 3: These days the OSCARS are boring. I wouldn't want to go.
Speaker 1: God bless the movies they nominate.
Speaker 4: No one on earth has ever seen like, like, could they actually nominate a movie that human beings go watch?
Speaker 3: I mean, how many great movies have come out in the last several years.
Speaker 1: Very few, depressingly few.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very few. Last Oscars came and went I didn't watch it. There's nothing to see.
Speaker 4: I was sad that Gene Hackman just passed away because Unforgiven was spectacular, but that was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Forgiven came out.
Speaker 2: You've mentioned today here and before about the possibility of someone wanting.
Speaker 3: To take you out, dealing with the death threats we see. It's not in my imagination. You could just look on social media. Yeah, but like is it because very clear?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look I'm I'm very familiar with it.
Speaker 3: And they've got science. They are people with science and demonstrations, uh, saying that I need to die.
Speaker 4: Do you think are these just why jobs? Or do you think there are foreign sane people? Do you think there are foreign entities behind this? Do you think they're domestic entities behind the threats? And also the attacks to Twitter are not Twitter, but Tesla, I mean you know, you're getting Tesla's charging stations lit on fire. Do you think that's organized and paid for?
Speaker 3: Yes, at least some of it is organized and paid for I think by domestic you know, basically left wing organizations in America funded by left wing billionaires. Essentially, is it like Act Blue or what Act Blue is one of them? You know Arabella, you know the classic it's funded by the you know, the blue basically the left wing and g O cabal.
Speaker 2: How big of a threats is to like what you build at Tesla? I mean, I remember when Tesla's came out, it was people that they didn't want to have gas cars. A lot of it was environmental reasons. I jokingly said, I was like, I'm a Texas guy, I'm always going to have something that burns gas. My kids now, all three of my boys think that that Tesla's are awesome. The cyber truck is the car they want their dad to buy, which I laugh because I never could have imagined that five years ago.
Speaker 3: And now I'm looking at We're worth.
Speaker 4: The White House in the President's Tesla sparks. Yeah, I mean, which is the fullest dand but I mean you've you've changed a generation.
Speaker 2: When you look at my kids are six and eight and they're going Dad buy a cyber truck, and I'm considering it. That's a that's a full circle in a weird way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I do have the story that the most errantating outcome is the most likely. So yeah, it seems often to be true. I like, what, uh, what twistal turn of fate? Uh? Well, I would the highest ratings if this was if we're a TV show, what twistal turn of fate would generate the highest ratings that there's a good chance that happens.
Speaker 4: Well, I will say if if Act Blue and Arabella Network was a huge scam, next level, do you think it's foreign money? Chinese money? Where do you think the money in Act Blue is coming from? How do you figure that out?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not coming from from a whole bunch of from a ground swell of public support, because when individual donors looked at an Act Blue, they a bunually turned out to be like diehard Republicans, people have never given money in their life. So you're going to track down a bunch of these where it says, oh I gave sixteen thousand dollars and they're like, I didn't give sixteen thousand dollars. We're talking about. Well, if those whole con friends of mine, if I found themselves on the Act Blue List the like.
Speaker 4: So that's if it can actually be shown that they are funding firebombing of Tesla charging stations, that's objectively a criminal act. That that is funding terrorist activity, and the statutes make clear that an incendiary device qualifies.
Speaker 3: So that down is a terrorist activity.
Speaker 4: Let me ask AI in ten years, how is life going to be different because of AI for just a normal person?
Speaker 3: Well, ten years is a long time. In ten years, probably AI could do anything better than a human can cognitively, probably almost. I think in ten years, based on the cart rate of improvement, AI will be smarter than the smartest human.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. There will also be a massive number of robots, so humanoid robots.
Speaker 4: By the way, I got to ask, how come your robots look so much like the creepy robots for my robot?
Speaker 1: Was that intentional or.
Speaker 3: Just I was hoping he's gonna say, yeah, just to mess with you, it's not meant to look like any prior robot, and we'll iterate the design and you'll be able to have a lot of the robot parts are cosmetic. You'll be able to switch out the kind of snap on cosmetic parts of the robot make it look like something else if you lying so. There'll be ultimately billions of humanoid robots all costs will be self driving in ten years. In ten years, probably ninety percent of miles driven will be autonomous. Huh wow that fast. Yeah. In five years, probably fifty percent of miles will driven will be autonomous.
Speaker 4: Now, if AI will be smarter than any persons, how many jobs go away because of that? And what do people do if you've got billions of people that are losing their jobs like that, A lot of people are understandably freaked out about that.
Speaker 3: Well, goods and services will become close to free. So it's not as though people will be wanting in terms of goods and services.
Speaker 1: So why is that?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: Why are goods and services free in an AI world or close to free?
Speaker 3: Well, you have I don't know, call it tens of billions of robots. They will they will make you anything or provide any service you want for basically next to nothing. It's it's not that people will be will have a lower standable I mean, they'll have actually much higher standard of living. But the challenge will be fulfillment. How do you drive fulfillment and meeting in life?
Speaker 4: Is Skynet real? Like you get the apocalyptic visions of AI? How real is the prospect of killer robots annihilating humanity?
Speaker 3: Likely? Maybe ten percent?
Speaker 1: On what timeframe?
Speaker 3: Fat ten years so soon?
Speaker 1: Like you you see a world where that's possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean you can look at it like the glasses eighty ninety percent full, meaning like eighty percent likely will have extreme prosperity for all.
Speaker 4: Now, I guess my view, we're in a race to win AI. We're in a race with China, and my view is if they're going to be killer robots, I'd rather they be American killer robots than Chinese. How likely are we winning right now? Is America winning right now? And how likely is America to win the race for AI v to be China or anyone else?
Speaker 3: Well the next few years, I think America is likely to win. Then it will be a function of who controls the AI chip fabrication, if the factories that make the AI chifs who controls them, If they are controlled, if more of them will controlled by China than China will win.
Speaker 4: More of the factories that are making the AI chips. You think that will determine it? Yes, And how are we doing versus China on that front?
Speaker 3: Well, right now, almost all the advanced AI chip factories they call them babs are in Taiwan.
Speaker 1: And what if China invaded one miles away from what happens if China.
Speaker 4: China invades Taiwan, what happens to the world.
Speaker 3: Well, if they were to invade in the nea term, the world would be cut off from advanced AI chips. And currently one percent of advanced AI chips are made in Taiwan.
Speaker 2: How fast can we put that online in America? How important is that for national security?
Speaker 3: I think it's essential for national security, and we're not doing enough.
Speaker 4: You're fifty three years old. I'm one hundred and eighteen days older than you. By what the hell have I done in my life?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Fifty three years old?
Speaker 3: Well, well, so seventy one was a great year.
Speaker 4: And I was December seventy because I was just just right before you were the summer of seventy one.
Speaker 3: I was born sixty nine days after four twenty.
Speaker 1: Wow, I did ask Ben, this is true.
Speaker 4: Look, I did ask Ben, should I show up and pull up a joint and say can we beat Rogan's views? But I was pretty sure it might cause a scandal if we spent a podcast.
Speaker 3: It just turned out to be like a chocolate cigarden. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you if today was your last day on Earth. Yeah, well, I'm not suggesting it's going to be. But if it were, what do you think your biggest legacy would be if everything you've done one hundred years from now? What do you think people would remember if if it were zero to today?
Speaker 3: And will you ever go to space in the in the distant future, one hundred or one thousand years ago? If SpaceX got humans to Mars, that's what they would remember me for.
Speaker 1: All Right, final set of questions.
Speaker 4: Who's the smartest guy you've ever met? You hang out with some brilliant people, Like like, when you look at what's a CEO? You look at other than yourself, what CEO?
Speaker 3: Do you say?
Speaker 1: Damn, that guy's good.
Speaker 3: Larry Elson's very smart. So I say, Larry Elson's one of the smartest people you know, Larry Page. I mean, there are a lot of people that are very smart it's hard to say. Like, you know, I think something to be smart is as smart as so you know, what if what have they done that is difficult and significant? You know, Jeff Bezos has not a lot of difficult and significant things. I mean, there are a lot of smart humans. I call them smart for smart for a human, A lot of people who are in the smart for a human category.
Speaker 1: All right, final lightning round, Star Wars or Star Trek.
Speaker 3: The first movie I saw in the theater was Star Wars, so I think it had a profound effect on me. I'm six years old. I think, imagine, best first movie you ever see in a theater is Star Wars. It's gonna blaw her mind.
Speaker 1: Best Star Wars.
Speaker 3: Movie Empires Trucks Back.
Speaker 1: The only objectively right answer.
Speaker 4: I stood in line in three hours with my dad to see it on opening day.
Speaker 3: Kirk or Picard, I like them both.
Speaker 4: For Kirk again, objectively right answer. By the way, James T. Kirk is a Republican and Picard is a Democrat, and the left gets very mad when I say that best Star Trek.
Speaker 3: Movie, I mean the original, the first Star Trek movie. That's okay, most of both of both. Wrath of cons were pretty good. But yeah, the original wrath of kN.
Speaker 1: Ricardo Montaban revenge is a dish best served cold. It is very a.
Speaker 4: Cold in space, although I will say Rathacon is objectively the right answer. But but four is a sleeper. When they go back to San Francisco and and and go find the whales and and you know, Scotty picks up picks up the mouth and talks to it and goes a keyboard.
Speaker 1: How quaint that's a sleeper?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Last question? Did Han shoot first?
Speaker 3: It seemed like he shot second.
Speaker 1: This is verdict.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I apologize Ben so Ben was a jock and played tennis at ole miss and so so occasionally when when we geek out a little and y'all geek.
Speaker 3: Out over, there is still on the question I love you miss his The alien misses fast shot. So why do you miss his vast shot? Must have been because he got shot first and he's missing a point blank bassil shot. If they less, they got knocked off kids.
Speaker 4: But it's a question of real which is is Han Solo simply a hero or an anti hero? And and so I'm in the Han shot first category. I don't like sanitized stories would have.
Speaker 3: Had to have shot first, because otherwise, why why would the alien miss appoint blank range? Are you ever going to go to outer space? Is that saying in your life goals? Yeah, I'd like to go to Mars at some point. And people have said do I want to die in maz and I say yes, just not an impact.
Speaker 1: Now, that's a very good answer.
Speaker 4: The astronauts on the space station, are they political prisoners? Some of them are because because you could have given them a ride back, and.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden said no, purely for politics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, there's been some debate about this online. But the thing is that it was very a very high level decision, so it wasn't really even an acid decision. It was just that the Biden White House did not want to have someone who is pro Trump rescuing Askrowt's rife before the election, so they pushed it.
Speaker 4: Well, if you're one of those astronauts, you got to be pretty pissed off about that.
Speaker 3: Well, if they're a Democrat, yes, a prat like everything's fine, fair enough. So I think one of them is a repulicable incident. It depends on which one you ask.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you Elan, this was this was awesome.
Speaker 4: And let me say, and by the way, I put out on X the day before yesterday, if you were having a beer with Elon and could ask him anything, what would you ask? And got lots of responses. The most common response people said is is say thank you. Look, Texans and the American people appreciate what you're doing. You don't have to put up with this bs, and you're doing it. I'm grateful. You're making a hell of a difference for this country. I appreciate you, and the Americans appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's essential for the future of civilization. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. Yes, it's not like I want to get death threats. You know, Now, what.
Speaker 4: Year does man first set foot on Mars?
Speaker 3: I think the soonest would be twenty nine, twenty nine, yes, and I don't think it's more than two to four years beyond that.
Speaker 4: And that's not an unman, that's that's a human being putting his foot on the surface.
Speaker 3: Yes, best case twenty nine.
Speaker 4: And what do you put the odds of finding either alien life or evidence of alien life.
Speaker 3: I don't think we're going to find aliens.
Speaker 1: Okay, but do we find ruins, do we find remnants?
Speaker 3: We may we may find the ruins of a long dead alien civilization. That's possible, And we may find subterranean microbial life. That's possible.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: If man lands on Mars and twenty nine, how soon after that do you land on.
Speaker 3: Mars remains to be seen. I'm not sure. The important thing is that we build a self sustaining city on Mars as quickly as possible. The key threshold is when that city can't continue to grow, continue to prosper even when the supply ships from Earth stopped coming. At that point, even if something would happen on Earth, it might not be World War.
Speaker 1: Three, but it might be that a bad virus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it might not be anything. It's like, let's say civilization you could die with a bang or whooper. It may be that civilization is dies with a whimper rather than a bang and simply loses the ability to send ships to Mars. So you often need Mars to become self sustaining and be able to grow by itself before the recupply ships from Earth stopped coming. That is the critical a civilizational threshold, beyond which the probable last span of civilization is much greater.
Speaker 4: And how close are we technologically to be able to do that, to have a self sustaining settlement on the surface of Mars.
Speaker 3: I think it can be done in twenty years, but it.
Speaker 4: Would take twenty years, so we're not in twenty nine. We're not there. What are we missing?
Speaker 1: What are the big technologies?
Speaker 3: We don't have a few people running around the surface in a hostile environment is not going to make it self sustaining. So you're going to need on the order of a million people, maybe a million tons of cargo.
Speaker 4: So but you think we could have a million people on Mars in twenty years, yes, And what's the technology we're missing right now? When you think about a million people on Mars? Do we have the ability to get water, to get food, to keep them safe?
Speaker 1: I mean, what what do we need to make that happen?
Speaker 3: Well, you need to recreate the entire base of industry Earth. So you know, we're here at the top of a massive permitive industry that starts with mining a vast array of materials. Those materials going through hundreds of steps of refinement. We grow food, obviously, we grow trees, we make things out of the trees. There's you know, you've got to you've got to build all that on Mars, and Mars is a hostile environment. It's you know, it sometimes gets above zero on a warm summer day near the equator on Mars. Meanly, it's quite cold. How do you prep for that? Well, in the beginning, on Mars, you have to have a life support habitation module, right, like you need You can't just live outdoors. You can't breathe the.
Speaker 1: Air like a dome you think is likely?
Speaker 3: Yeah, glass domes type of thing.
Speaker 4: Have you identified a location on Mars that is likely to be ideal for a habitat?
Speaker 3: What might be Arcadia planet? Here is one of the one of the good options. That's one of my daughters is named Arcadia after that.
Speaker 1: And what makes that attractive.
Speaker 3: My eldest son's middle name is Ari's Mars. You've been thinking about this for a long time. If you're name and your kids around it. My eldest kid is middle name is essentially Mars. When did you get the dream? Like, I mean it's twenty twenty one soon, this is decades old? Yeah, dream?
Speaker 4: So like when you were ten, did you look up and say I'm going to Mars.
Speaker 3: No No. I read a lot of science fiction books and program computers. But the first finally off. The first video game that I sold was a space video game called Blastar. Maybe I was born this way?
Speaker 1: How do you do?
Speaker 4: How do you become Elon Musk? Look, you're obviously smart as hell, but but there are lots there are a lot of smart people that don't do squat And you've managed everything you've touched has been an extraordinary success. Yeah, yeah, Look, I mean that's just objectively right.
Speaker 1: So what has led to that?
Speaker 4: Because there are others are people that that's not true, and they gaze at their nable and they don't do anything. So what do you do differently that makes you so effective?
Speaker 3: Well, I suppose I have a philosophy of curiosity. I want to find out the nature of the universe, understand the universe, And in order to do that, we have to travel to other planets, see other star systems, maybe other galaxies, find perhaps other alien civilizations, or at least the remnants of alien civilizations, gain a better understanding of words universe going ready to come from? And what questions do we not yet know to ask about the answer that is the universe.
Speaker 4: So let's go back twenty five years, late nineties.
Speaker 1: You're at PayPal. How do you turn PayPal into the success it was, which which then helped launch you to the next one?
Speaker 3: In the next one. Yeah, So I studied physics and economics and college, which is a good foundation for understanding how the economy works and how reality works, and then was going to do a PhD at Stanford in advanced ultra capacitors actually as a potential means of energy storage for electric transport. Put that on hold to start an Internet company. Essentially came to the conclusion that the Internet was one of those rare things and I could either watch it happen while a grad student or participated. And I figured, I've always go back to grad school. Grad school is going to be kind of the same. But I couldn't betther thought of just watching the Internet happen. So I wanted to be a part of building it. So I created an Internet Internet company. We did the first maps, directions, yellow pages, white pages on the Internet. I actually wrote the first version of Suffered just by myself in ninety five, and we ended up selling that to Compact Texas company. I guess for about three hundred million dollars in cash about four years after I graduated. Wow. So I should say just to preface that I graduated with about one hundred thousand dollars a student debt. So it wasn't yeah you and me about yeah, yeah, I know. And when I first arrived in North America, I arrived with twenty five hundred dollars, a bag of books and a bag of clothes.
Speaker 4: All right, So you sell the company for three hundred million, How much does that change your life?
Speaker 3: Well, I got twenty one million dollars that jack, But I wanted to do more on the internet, so started a company called x dot com, which merch with a company called Confinity, which is Peter Teel and Max Levchun yep. And the combined company was actually at first still called x dot com, but we later later changed the name of the company to PayPal. Because of all the name changes, it's kind of confusing. But the company that people know is know as PayPal today was actually I filed those in corporation documents for that company. Interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, And as you know, Peter Tiel and I were buddies back in the mid nineties before he went and did any of this. But you know, I became friends with him when he was a corporate lawyer in New York and just sort of a young libertarian with a lot of dreams.
Speaker 1: So it's been a heck of a journey.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Now, Sly Peter was involved in a coup. We had a little sort of knifing in the Senate situation, uh where you know that they did Coon met at at PayPal.
Speaker 1: I kind of did you all make peace after that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I mean I was doing a lot of sort of risky moves that I think ultimately would have been successful. But I then went on a two week trip which was a dual money raising trip and honeymoon, and said not done my honeymoon earlier in the year, So it's raising money while doing doing holly honeymoon. But I was kind of awake. Did that go over by the way it worked? It worked? There you go, kind of worked. I raised money, yeah, and we had honeymoon there you go. So yeah, but you don't want to be away from the battle when things are scary, so I was not there to assuage the concerns of the troops. And anyway, Uh, we passed things up, and I have been friends nonetheless, and you know these days all like stay at his house and stuff, So super friends. And he's also invested in most of my companies.
Speaker 4: All right, So two thousand and two you start SpaceX, Like how do you start a rocket company? Like what's the first day where you're like, I want to make rockets and I want to go to Mars?
Speaker 1: Like what do you do on day one?
Speaker 3: So I think you have to start with a some sort of philosophical premise in order to have in order for the in order to be in order to be highly motivated, you have to have some philosophical foundation. In my case, it was that that we want to expand the scope and scale of consciousness to better understand the nature of the universe. And in order to expand scate, expand consciousness, we need to go beyond one planet. From one planet, there's there's too much risk. You know, hopefully Earth civilization prosperos very far into the future, but it may not. There's always some risk that we are we self annihilate through nuclear war, or that there's a big meter that takes us out like the dinosaurs. Yep, there's always some risk full. Your eggs are in one basket. So it's going to be better if we're a multiplanet species. And then once we're a multiplanet species, that the next step would be to be a multi stellar and have a civilization among on many different star systems. So in two thousand and one, I didn't think that I could. I didn't think I could sell a rocket company. So I thought I'd take some of the money from PayPal in that case, I think was about one hundred and eighty eight million dollars after tax, something like that, and I thought, you know, I don't need one hundred and eighty million dollars, so I'll spend a bunch of it on a philanthropic Mars mission to get the public excited about going back to Mars. We're going to Mars, I should say, yeah, Mars was always going to be the destination after the Moon. Right. In fact, if you told people in nineteen sixty nine that it would be twenty twenty five and we've not even gone back to.
Speaker 1: The Moon let alone, it's hard to believe.
Speaker 3: Let alone Mars, they'd be like what happened in the civilization collapse, like they would be incomprehensible that we've not been to Mars by if you told people this after landing on the Moon in sixty nine.
Speaker 1: But what do you think in fifty years America never went back to the moon.
Speaker 3: Well, we destroyed the Saturn five rocket that was that could take you to the Moon, and had the Space Shuttle, which could only go to lowth orbit, and then there really hasn't been anything to replace any No vehicle has been made since then that can go to the Moon or to Mars until the SpaceX Starship rocket. Yeah, so you can't go to Mars if you don't have the ride.
Speaker 4: So I remember you and I first met in twenty thirteen when when I was a brand new baby senator. Yeah, and I was still down in the basement office. They stick freshman senators in the basement.
Speaker 1: Office, kind of like hazeny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what say.
Speaker 1: It sounds like there aree hundred sected offices. But for six months you stay in the basement.
Speaker 3: It's like worry, mean, you know where you're supposed to know.
Speaker 1: I got to stay.
Speaker 4: Now, thirteen years into it, I think there's a lot of wisdom to doing that. But you were down in the basement office and I remember you were coming and sitting down with SpaceX and at the time the Air Force was not letting you all be to launch satellites, and so you were coming and saying, look, we got a company. I think we can do a really good job of this, and yet we're locked out of this. It's a little amazing to think the journey SpaceX is gone from then to now.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's hard to believe that this is all real because originally, consistently with my belief that we need to become a multiplant species, I thought the only way to do that would be through Nassau So and I think I thought, well, if I can just get the public excited about Mars, then they'll do a mission to Mars. And so initially my thought was to have to send a small greenhouse with seeds and dehydrated nutrient gel. Then land the greenhouse, hydrate the seeds, and you see these the sort of money shot proof. The money shot would be green plants on a red background. I also recently known that money shot has a different meaning in some other arenas. But yeah, story, But what I'm trying to say is the captivating shot would be the green plants on a red background, and then hopefully that would if you did something like that, that would get the public excited about Mars, that would increase nasta's budget and then we could send people to Mars. Dream was nasty to do this, yes, not you. The original original plan was literally to take a bunch of the money from PayPal and I guess by some people's definition wasteed with no profit on a non profit thing. I wanted to spend a whole bunch of my money for free to get Nasta's budget to be bigger so we could go to friggin Mars. Right, Wow, that's what I wanted. So that was the holy grail, That's what I wanted. I was like, so, when did you Mars? That's what I wanted to know.
Speaker 1: Well, when when did it strike you? Okay, you're going to.
Speaker 3: Have to do this if you want, I'll tell you. It gets crazier, all right, It gets crazier. So so that I couldn't afford any of the US rockets because as you know, the US rockets are way too expensive, boying lucky rock Lucky rockets are crazy money. I didn't have. I didn't even even with one hundred eight millions, so way I could have afforded sure they back then well the with with the additional stage to get tomorrows, it would have been about like eighty million. So technically I could have afforded one of them, but I wanted to do too in case one of them didn't work. Yeah. So, and then I didn't have enough money for that. Yeah, and I was sort of prepared to, you know, I don't know, waste half the money. And I figured if I had ninety million left, that'd be fine, you know, but ideally on all of it. So I went to Russia twice to try to buy ICBMs. How'd that go? And who do you call? The Russian rocket forces?
Speaker 1: Do they sell ICBMs? Does that work?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You got to tell us a story that I want to know who you can buy anything in Russia?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like, please walk me down that.
Speaker 2: I want to know how you made that phone call and when you get there, how did that work?
Speaker 3: And what do you tell your friends? Yeah, listen, I'm going to Russian device in ICBMs. I might not return, you know, in this situation. Literally, Yeah, so I guess slightly less insane when when you understand that the Russians had to demolish a bunch of their ICBMs because of you know, Soult talks like the piece because basically an agreement between the United States and Russia to reduce the total number of ICBMs, Russia was actually obligated to scrap a bunch of their ICBMs. So you took it the very biggest ICBMs. You could converte those into a rocket, added additional stage and send something to Mars.
Speaker 4: So those are big enough with one more stage to get to Mars.
Speaker 3: To send a small payload to Mars. Yeah, so the s S eighteen.
Speaker 4: So you try to buy CBMs, do you succeed or no? Or do you figure out you got to build your own instead?
Speaker 3: They kept raising the price on me, so because I figured like, look, they're going to throw these things in scrappy on anyway, you should get a really good deal, right, So the price thought out at four million. Then the next conversation they were at eight million. Then the next conversation they were at like nineteen million. And I'm like, this is before we signed a contract.
Speaker 4: By the way, was there another was there an they're bit or were you the only one trying to buy them?
Speaker 3: I think I don't know if there were other bits, but they didn't mention any other bits. But I was like, man, if if the price is increasing this much before the contract signed, I'm really going to get fleeced after the contracts. So so I got pretty frustrated there. Actually, in some cases we got into like shouting matches in Moscow, some guys shouting at me in Russia, and I'm shouting back at him really badly, you know, I'm like, so you are all I mean, you're all.
Speaker 1: In Moscow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, uh man, I should have recorded that. That would have been one for them.
Speaker 2: How many days were you there negotiating that first time? I mean, was this like ongoing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this this took place. These conversations took place over probably six months or so. Wow. So and then the final trip trip there was with the with was with Mike Revenue later became assid administrator. I actually realized in the course of this that my original premise was wrong, that that America actually has plenty of will to go to Mars, but needs it just needs a way to Mars that is affordable and that doesn't break the budget.
Speaker 1: You know, just as you know, we couldn't even get to the space station. We needed the Russians to get us to our own space station.
Speaker 3: That was embarrassing.
Speaker 1: It really was pitiful.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure most Americans know just how much we were being fleeced. Like I think they got up to like ninety million dollars a seat. Yeah, wow, Yeah, for a seat that cost them like ten prege obviously, but it was the only Yeah it was before SpaceX. Ninety million dollars a seat for a seat that cost them ten million is high. Yeah, that's a lot of money. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So a few months ago you and I were down in Boca Chica with a president for a starship launch, and it is incredible what you built in Boca Chica. You know, five years ago it was an empty beach.
Speaker 3: At the southern tip of the Sundbar. Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 4: Now a city and factory where you're building a rocket ship a month with with incredible precision. But one of the things you said to me when we were down there that really stood out to me is is you said your philosophy on intellectual property talked to lots of CEOs or we fight to guard our IP and you had a very different approach. What's what's your view of IP.
Speaker 3: Patents of the week, patents of for those that innovate slowly.
Speaker 4: I literally do not know anyone else in business who would say something like that, like like it was a startling and and and and what Elon said down there is he said, look this stuff, I assume everyone will steal everything, but by the time they steal it will be five generations beyond and it won't matter.
Speaker 3: Yes, at Tesla, we actually open sourcial lat patents. So we said our patents are anyone can use it for free. Really yeah, uh, the only really your patents of Tesla to to avoid patent trolls causing causing trouble. So we'll try to look ahead and say, okay, patent trolls are going to trial pat file patents to blocks and things, will FIP patents and then open sources make it free. I mean, I want to say patents for the week. Now. There are a few cases, in say with pharmaceuticals, where it might cost you billion dollars to do a phase three human file, but then subsequently the drug is very cheap to manufacture. So cases there are some in my opinion, which would massively reduce what can be patented and and say because the whole point of patenting is to maximize innovation, not inhibit it. And in my opinion, maybe a controversial opinion, most patents inhibit innovation, they do not help it. But there are case I want to do one a single cases like where such as a phase three clinical trial that might cost a billion dollars, but then the drugs thereafter cost a few dollars to manufacture, and if you can then immediately copy those drugs for a few dollars, no one will pay for the billion dollars free writer problem. Yeah, exactly, So you have to address the free writer problem. But other than that, there should be no patents. The ideas are easy.
Speaker 2: You want ideas to flow maximum to people to get there faster and do things bigger.
Speaker 3: The idea is the easy part. The herd execution is the hard part. As the old saying goes, it's one percent inspiration, if not less than one percent and nineteen nine percent perspiration.
Speaker 4: But I'll say the perspiration part you're really damn good at. Also because you're making you know, the companies you're building are actually building stuff. They're building cars, they're building spaceships, they're building things that if they don't work, it's a real problem. And the precision you manufacture things with, how do you get that level of precision? How do you get how do you build a culture? You're not You're amazing at thinking outside the box. But what's interesting is you may even be better at execution, which is how do you execute so effectively well.
Speaker 3: I take as expost principles approach to everything. It's not as though I wanted to in source manufacturering, It's just that I was unable to outsource it effectively. So, you know, the idea of the beginning of Tesla was that we would outsource almost all the manufacturing. But then it turned out there was no there were no good companies to outsourced manufacturing too, which there wasn't a really really, it wasn't peaceable. Outsourced manufacturing actually is the exception of the rule. And uh and just over time, we had to insource almost everything for Tesla and same for SpaceX. I became very good at manufacturing because I had to lose no choice. At this point, I might know more about manufacturing than any any human ever has, because I've done so many I've manufactured so many different things, and so many different arenas. I think probably more than anyone ever has.
Speaker 4: Look, that's that sounds like an astonishing statement, but it's not a crazy statement. And you're somehow running Tesla and running SpaceX and running X and running the boring company and running Nourlink and doing doge.
Speaker 1: How much do you sleep in a given night?
Speaker 3: About six hours and average so about.
Speaker 4: Six So that's it wouldn't have shocked me if you said three or four.
Speaker 3: So the Crenet struction is how many hours do you work a day? I work almost every working.
Speaker 4: Hour, and Ben, he's not kidding that. Like when Elan and I were first getting to know each other, I suggested, I said, hey, let let's grab dinner sometime.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you remember what you said. You said, I don't eat dinner.
Speaker 3: I don't have social dinners really.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean that, Yeah, I mean you obviously eat food, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, idea going to a restaurant for two hours, But.
Speaker 4: The idea of like, I don't, But it was it was just kind of matter of fact, why would I go to dinner like you up?
Speaker 1: You work?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I literally just thought I'll have lunch and then it brought during meetings and continue being.
Speaker 2: How many nights have you slept at your offices?
Speaker 3: You think your career percentage.
Speaker 2: Wise where you say, I just got to take this nap basically because my body forces me to, and I got to get back to work fast and efficiently without going somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess it started out even with the first company, uh SO two, which is a terrible name, but the first internet company. The we're able to rent an office which was like in a leaky attack, essentially four five hundred dollars a month, and the cheapest apartment we could find just eight hundred dollars a month. So like, and we only had about five thousand dollars between our brother and I, so like, we're not we'll just stay in the office. Yep. So we got some couches that converted into beds and we'd can't sleep at night, and then we just have like turn the beds back into couches before anyone came, and then we would shout the YMCA down the road and so that went that that that that literally was for several months. What we did, it was in great shape, you know, work out the way. I still remember that that YMCA at page Miller al Camino in Palo Alto.
Speaker 1: So that was a long time.
Speaker 3: Again, so it's been I don't know. I've never thought to count it, but several hundred days maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So you're now the richest man on earth.
Speaker 4: Do you still sleep in the office, Well, that's true, maybe Mars.
Speaker 1: We'll find someone else, but.
Speaker 3: I think if someone is a sovereign head of a country, there to facto Richard by Allot.
Speaker 1: Do you still sleep at the office now?
Speaker 3: I have sometimes slept at the office. Yeah.
Speaker 2: As always, thank you for listening to Verdict with Sentner, Ted Cruz, Ben Ferguson with you don't forget to deal with my podcast and you can listen to my podcast every other day you're not listening to Verdict or each day when you listen to Verdict. Afterwards, I'd love to have you as a listener to again the Ben Ferguson podcasts, and we will see you back here on Monday morning.