Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe, and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart. Psychotherapist and author esterre Perel says that cheating is the only taboo thing that is universally practiced and universally condemned. She says, affairs actually have a lot to teach us about relationships. Now, I'll be honest, I have been cheated on by well several of my boyfriends. But I've also cheated. I know what both sides of it feel like, and I've learned a lot from both experiences and all those social norms. In Hollywood, portrayals often depict men as the sex more likely to cheat. Studies show that the infidelity gender gap is narrowing, especially among younger people. According to data gathered in twenty twenty two, twenty percent of married men and thirteen percent of married women admitted to having sex with someone other than their spouse. Those numbers kind of seemed low to me, but I guess that's just what is reported, right. However, infidelity rates among women are on the rise. They've increased by forty percent in the last twenty years. So the stats beg the question, are more women having affairs or are they finally just talking about it. That's the question that journalist and author Joe Piazza set out to answer in her new podcast, She Wants More. Joe is the national and international best selling author of many critically acclaimed novels and nonfiction books, including How to Be Married. She's the creator, host, and EP of The Committed podcast, which is all about romantic relationships, and before she was an author, she was an advice columnist in New York City. She says the Carrie Bradshaw comparisons were tireless. She's been published in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Time, The list goes on, but one of her most viral pieces was for l in which she chronicled buying her own engagement ring at thirty four. It's clear that Joe has been obsessed with relationships for quite some time. Now she's venturing into a new aspect of them cheating. In this new podcast, She Wants More. With iHeartRadio, Joe interviews dozens of women who open up about their affairs. She explores the double standard of cheating, Unpacking the guilt, the shame, and expectations placed on women, but also the rush, excitement, needs, and desires of women. Joe explores the many motivations behind these affairs, speaking with dozens of women about how these affairs have bln strengthened, and in some cases broken their marriages. So today we're digging in to the other side of monogamy to understand why women cheat and is it different than men? As it turns out, the answer, it's more complicated than you'd think. So, Joe, you're the host of the popular Committed podcast. What is it about romantic relationships that fascinates you?
Speaker 2: You know, I never thought that I would be a person to write and report on romantic relationships. I'm not generally a terribly romantic person, but I got started doing it seven years ago. I got engaged late. I was thirty four years old when I met my husband. We got married on my thirty fifth birthday to try to make it really easy for him. It's like he just he can't fuck it up. Our Anna Rochary my birthday is the same day, and I had no idea what I was doing, like how to be a wife. I'd been single and been really happy being single for a long time. And I was also a travel journalist, so I used that job to travel around the world and interview people about how marriage worked, just I mean completely self servingly, and wrote the book How to Be Married and just discovered some really fascinating things about how to create not just a working marriage, but like a good marriage, a happy marriage. And the Committed podcast was spawned off of that because I loved the stories even more than the advice. I just liked to hear how real people did this thing. I felt like we didn't hear nearly enough about how an actual marriage worked. We heard about the wedding, we heard about the engagement, or then we heard about the divorce, but not the nitty gritty of a marriage. And and now I'm seven years into this and three children in and I'm forty two, and a lot of people in my social circle seem to either be getting divorced or having affairs, and I thought maybe it was time to start reporting on that.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you say that it was spawned from your own social circle, which I think kind of the best reporting usually is, because it's like, if it's happening in your world, it's happening in other people's worlds. Did you have any sort of judgment when you were walking into this?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I had so much judgment walking into this. I don't think anyone gets married and says, gee, I can't wait to cheat on my husband. But what I quickly realized is that there's too much judgment when it comes to what women do, and all women deserve a safe space to share their stories. And I walked out of it thinking, you know what you do. Everyone has their own path. Everyone should get to define what marriage means for them and their spouse, because, frankly, the whole idea of marriage and monogamy is a construct that was created thousands and thousands of years ago by men to work for men, and I think it's important to question these things. I think it's important to question does monogamy work, does the contract of marriage work? What is good? What is bad? And what can we take away from that and from the preconceptions that we came into it with.
Speaker 1: Well, in the pod, you talk about these four types of affairs, So what are the four that you saw?
Speaker 2: There's the love affair, and these are based actually on the research of a woman named Susan Shapiro Barrish. She wrote a book called A Passion for More, and she's been interviewing women about infidelity for thirty years and she has found that women are having more affairs now than they were before, and that they're more willing to talk about them, which we also found when we started reporting the podcast. And so she categorized the different types of affairs that a woman would have. The first one is love and I think that one is so interesting because there's all these assumptions that if a woman were to cheat, it would be for love. That's the only reason a woman would cheat, for the emotional reasons. And in my interviewing and in Susan's interviewing, the love affairs there were less of them than any of the other kind of affairs. Women seemed to be cheating. I don't want to say that women cheated like men, that women seem to cheat for a wide array of reasons much like men do. The other is the confidence boosting, the self esteem affair, and we saw a lot of those, and frankly, you know the reasons for the affairs. I don't love categorizing them into just one category because I think that it's always a mixture. It's always a mixture of the different ones, and confidence building was a really big one. And almost all of the women that we talked to said that they just wanted to be seen again by their partner and they weren't experiencing that kind of spark or that kind of return of affection that they had early in their relationship, so they looked for it outside of their marriage, and that the affairs then gave them confidence not just in themselves but in the workplace. It gave them more confidence in their actual marriage. It gave them more confidence even as mothers, because they just felt worthy again, worthy of love, worthy of affection.
Speaker 1: I've heard Esther Pearrell talk about how many affairs and this has no gender, but happened not because really of the other person, but because the person that is stepping outside of their relationship is looking for a new version of themselves mm hmm. And that one kind of fits under that assumption.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And I think that's so true. I don't think that people necessarily cheat because of their partner most of the time. I think I completely agree with Estaire that people are looking for something for them, They're looking for a different version of themselves, an earlier version of themselves, a part of themselves. You know that is often taken away when we have children. We have kids, we lose so much autonomy over our own bodies, and sometimes we just want that back.
Speaker 1: M So it's actually much deeper, so.
Speaker 2: Much deeper, so much deeper, and so much more complicated, I think than we ever really think about.
Speaker 1: Did you come away feeling with any of these women, because we actually have several clips from the women you interviewed and we're gonna oh thought about them. But did you come away thinking that any of these women could have like dug into some of this stuff in therapy instead of in an affair, or did you find it to be kind of this valid outlet.
Speaker 2: A lot of women did dig into it in therapy. Some of those women had a therapist who said you should go for this, this is someone you should try. Yes, And I mean I have friends of my own who've had therapists who have said, yeah, why don't you try this? I think this is exactly what you need.
Speaker 1: That is fascinating.
Speaker 2: And there's other women who told their husbands what they wanted. They said, look, I want something different in the bedroom I want to be dominated. I want you to spank me, and their husband said that I'm not into that, and then that's why they went and decided to go have an affair. You know, it's not always a complete lack of communication. Sometimes there is communication and it's just what they want or need just isn't reciprocated.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting. A long time ago, someone said to me, you can't yuck someone's yum.
Speaker 2: No, you sure can't. I sure can't.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I want to start with Nicki. So Nicki is a woman who was deeply dissatisfied with her sexually uninterested husband, so she actually made an Ashley Madison account. She's flooded with messages and she decides to meet up with a man and she finds the passionate sex that she's been craving for so long. So let's play her clip.
Speaker 3: Instant Spark, Instant Flame, the hottest sect I'd ever had in my life. Hours and hours and hours of sex. And I was so proud of myself in a way that I didn't just fall over this man and just fall in love and have all the heart eyes. And I was very mature about it, and I thought it was interesting to recognize that, oh, so this is how men do it. I didn't feel attached to him at all. And the one I thought about it like, why are men the only ones that get to call the shops? Why are they the ones you get to have all their sexual pleasures to build?
Speaker 1: There's a lot there.
Speaker 2: There's so much there, and I mean there's so much in every episode. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: They are they're juicy because there's this thing in therapy, in science, even book editing, where the presenting problem is never the real problem. Like in book editing they say, what's the note behind the note? And that's how I feel about that clip. It's like, in my mind, one of the things there is that she she wants to feel powerful, like there was this impalance and she wants to feel like a man. She wanted to test how she would feel. What did you feel from her?
Speaker 2: You know? I felt like she was a woman who hadn't been getting what she wanted sexually for a very long time and didn't know how to ask for it or even exactly what she wanted. She just knew something was missing, and once she opened the floodgates, there was no turning back. I mean, she just went for it, and I think it's it's so interesting. We heard this over and over and you heard it in the cliff. She compares what she's doing to a man, and I think that we see that so much because we don't have any other point of comparison. We've been talking about male affairs. We talk about how men have sex, We talk about male passion and the male gaze and male desire so often, and we don't talk about it with respect to women, which is why the only thing we have to compare any of us too is how a man does something. And if I learned anything doing this podcast, it's that women have affairs just like men. They desire just like men, They have passion just like men of all ages too. Women's desire does not stop at age thirty or forty or fifty. But we just haven't talked about those things enough. And that's what we wanted to do with this podcast. We wanted a place to share women's stories that we don't hear nearly enough of.
Speaker 1: Well, this one was like particularly interesting to me because it becomes a lifestyle for Nicki. She went on to cheat on her husband for twelve years in counting how did she say that this changed her marriage?
Speaker 2: NICKI said that for a long time, it changed it for the better, that she was actually much happier with her husband. And we heard this a lot, that women were happier in their marriages because they were finally getting what they needed somewhere else, and then the resentment went away. I think resentment is such a huge issue in a marriage. It's, you know, you expect this person to give you all of the things, to be your everything, to be your soulmate. It's such a bullshit construction, and it's just the rom com version that we've been fed for so long, like this one person walking down the aisle and seeing them and finally marrying them is going to change everything and make your life better. And that's not true. No one person can be your everything. It can't be your best friend, your soulmate, the best sex you've ever had, your tennis partner, all of the stuff, and so sometimes, and I'm gonna sound really crass here, sometimes you have to outsource things. Like you know, I spend so much time with my friends, both male and female, and have so many talks with them that I would never have with my husband. I am not outsourcing sex. But that's what some of these women are doing.
Speaker 1: I guess the question is is what are you comfortable outsourcing? Because to me, I have zero judgment in terms of women or men finding what they want. What I can't seem to reconcile is the lie. And that's just a personal thing, right. Everybody has their own, you know, feeling of what's okay and what's not. But yeah, as I listen to these clips, that's the one thing that I'm having trouble with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same, same, I have to say. I mean, the one thing that I have difficulty with is the deception, and especially as one who was cheated on by boyfriends and I know how much that broke me and how terrible it was. The lying aspect sucks, and that is what is completely destructive, honestly. But the rest of it I don't have any any judgment about. And I think a lot of people, you know, I've talked talked to talk to some people who they say they're judgmental about the lying, but they're really judgmental about the sex. And I think that's so interesting because it just it feels almost more culturally acceptable for us to be like, no, but lying is wrong and we don't want to admit, like, oh, but the sex parts making me feel a little squishy too. And I think about that a lot because I was I was judgmental about all of it. Walking into this podcast, I was like, well, you're only supposed to have sex with your husband? Why and why is sex such a thing that can only happen with like such a big thing in the marriage. When when a marriage is really a business partnership in so many ways and a friendship partnership, and you're raising kids together, you're building a home together, why does the sex have to be entwined with that? Which feels kind of esoteric, But this podcast got me bringing up all of these esoteric questions.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess you're picking a totally different partner if you're not thinking about the sexual aspect, potentially totally right.
Speaker 2: I mean, then you might be picking a different partner. But maybe you should pick a different partner because the person that you're having the greatest sex of your life with may not be the person that you're meant to lead a life with.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, it sounds like you have really been able to separate the two I.
Speaker 2: Have I have, But then again, I think I can separate them as a reporter and as an observer. But you know, if I found out that my husband was treating of me, I'd probably lose my fucking mind.
Speaker 1: So there was data released last year that says in fidelity rates among women are on they and they've increased by forty percent since the early nineties. Forty percent, and that's reported, so I can only imagine what's unreported. Yeah, data from married adults ages eighteen to twenty nine say that women are slightly more guilty of infidelity even and in adults thirty years and older, men are more likely to cheat. So women are more likely to cheat when they're younger, and women are more likely to cheat post thirty. What do you make of that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I think we also have to think about when it comes to those stats, who is more comfortable talking about it too? But I have to say I think women are getting a lot more comfortable overall confessing this. I think of what this study had been done ten twenty years ago, women wouldn't have talked about it. It did not feel safe to talk about having an affair then, and for so much of human history it wasn't safe for a woman to commit adult treat and it was illegal. A woman could be jailed or killed for having an affair. And I think we finally reached a place, at least in America, where more and more women feel comfortable admitting it. So we're seeing those statistics rise a lot when people are doing these studies. Also, people are finally doing studies on this, and that was something interesting that we found reporting this podcast, because we talked to so many experts and they were studying this at the university level, and they were still mocked by their fellow academics for studying the sex lives of people, when so many people would consider their sex lives such an integral part of their entire lives.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting that you use the word comfortable because you interviewed Susan Shapiro Bearrish, who's you mentioned the book that inspired your podcast, and in that first episode, she says women are feeling more and more like they deserve to have an affair, and deserve is way different than comfortable.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we heard that over and over again that more and more women felt like they deserved it, that more and more women described their affair as self care, as the way that they were taking care of themselves, and I going into this podcast, I would not have been like, oh, yeah, of course, having an affair is self care, like your dry brush, you do some yoga, you just go have sex with someone who's not your husband. But that's what we kept hearing over and over again. It wasn't a one off.
Speaker 1: So I'm fascinated by the gender differentiation here because, like we constantly talk about if men and women cheat for different reasons, and esta Verell writes in her book that there's this generalization that men cheat out of boredom and fear of intimacy, and women cheat out of loneliness and hunger for intimacy. I'm dying to know what your take is after these all of these episodes.
Speaker 2: I really think that that is such a stereotype and I don't think it's true. I saw so many women cheat for the reasons that we believe men cheat, and I think men are hungry for the same emotional things that women are, and that women are hungry for the same kinds of physical things that men are. I don't think that there is a huge dichotomy in how men and women cheat, except for one thing I do believe that women are better at covering it up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've heard that too, that they're more meticulous like that first woman Nikki was twelve.
Speaker 5: Plus years never got caught, Now got caught. Okay, let's talk about Katie. So Katie has a very specific type of affair. This is a love affair that you mentioned. So Katie and her husband move in with her husband's best friend when they decide to relocate to la and in this new city, Katie feels free to explore new things and aspects of herself to the extent that she almost doesn't feel married anymore. Romantic tension builds between Katie and Phil, her husband's best friends, and as they spend more and more time together.
Speaker 1: This one really threw me for a loop.
Speaker 6: We started to push boundaries, like we would always be sitting next to each other, we would hold hands, we would put our arms around each other. No one seemed to be bothered by this. No one seemed to notice or care. My husband never brought it up, but I was starting to feel like this tension building. It was definitely like a high. I mean, I know, love can be such a high, and you feel like you're not in control and there's just this other worldliness to the situation.
Speaker 1: So Katie wants to get caught.
Speaker 2: It seems she sure did. She shared it, and she did get caught, And like I said, the love affair was really rare. Katie's our only love affair in the whole series. She wanted to get caught. She also got married very young. That was a common thread that we saw over and over again that people, a lot of the women that were having the affairs had tended to get married when they were very young, and they had felt like they'd missed out on something.
Speaker 1: So I can tell my mom, who's upset that I'm not married yet, that it's gonna I'll be okay, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Wait how old are you am I allowed to ask.
Speaker 1: That, of course, of course I'm thirty two.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, You're totally fine. You're a baby. I don't think anyone should get married until they are thirty four or thirty five. And I was the very last one of my friends to get married. I had given up. I thought I was going to be a spinster. I had written an article about how I was going to be a spinster. I bought myself an engagement ring. I was like, oh my gosh, yeah, it's like it's my story that went the most viral on the internet. I bought myself an engagement ring. It was on l dot com. I bought a beautiful tans night ring in Tanzania. And then two months later I met my fucking husband on a boat in the Galapagos.
Speaker 1: Of course you did. That's unbelievable. Really feel like you were able to make a better decision because you knew yourself.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so was my husband. I was forty two when we met. I was thirty four. We were grown up human beings, and I chose the right person. I chose the right partner. I was a gossip columnist in New York City for all of my twenties and just getting these constant comparisons to Carrie Bradshaw. But I didn't end up with the fifty mister Biggs that I dated. I married Aiden. I made the right choice.
Speaker 1: Okay. So Katie's story, the one where she cheats with her friend's husband, you call it a classic example of a woman being judged more harshly than a man. Totally, Yeah, how did that play out in Katie's story?
Speaker 2: Well, Katie lost all of her friends, and to be fair, she probably should have. She really she was ingrained in her husband's social circle, and she did cheat on him with his best friend who they were living with. I mean, she was not innocent in this situation. But that said, I've known so many guys that have done something very similar and they did not lose their whole social circle. They i mean, maybe got like a slap on the rest, but they didn't feel like they were ostracized and they had to leave the city and completely rebuild a new life.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting you say that because I was watching Chris Rock's comedy special and at the end he finally talks about what happened with the slap with Will Smith, and he makes this joke in it that like, Will was a quote unquote bitch for sitting with Jada after she cheated on him, and they talked about it on Red Table Talk.
Speaker 2: Mmmmmmm.
Speaker 1: And I felt always so uncomfortable with what the consensus was among people, because how many times have we seen women stand by men, stand by their husbands after they've cheated publicly, and they hold hands and it's all going to be okay, and it's almost like it's expected and okay if that's what the woman chooses. But because Will decided to stand by and be okay, that was such a double standard to me, did you think about that?
Speaker 2: Such a huge double standard. I covered so many political scandals where the politician had stepped out on his wife. I covered Elliott Spitzer and the prostitution scandal, I covered John Edwards, and I have such a visceral memory of those women standing next to their husbands, holding their hands while they apologized. And it feels like such a huge double standard that a man sticking around after an affair is considered weak, right, yea. And again, it's just one of the many double standards when it comes to men and women and sex and fidelity.
Speaker 1: Hillary Clinton did an interview a few years ago and someone said, what's the bravest thing you've ever done? And she thought about it for a minute, and she said, stay with my husband, stay in my relationship. There's not one decision that's right for everybody, but whatever you choose is brave because it's just gut wrenching.
Speaker 2: Well. Absolutely, And again it's because a marriage is so much more than just sex. A marriage is a partnership. A friendship, it is building a life together. But we've been conditioned to believe that sex is really kind of this thing that we have to think about as the only thing that matters when it comes to fidelity.
Speaker 1: So you talk about a recent sex study an episode two that in exclusive cohabitating relationships, women get bored of monogamous sex more quickly than men do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I found that fascinating because I think in my relationships, I don't get bored, and I think I think it's such a consensus that people feel like like men get bored faster.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah again, yet and not a myth that we've been fed that it's men who get bored faster, That women don't like novelty in a relationship, that men want sex more than women do. That's all just bullshit science from the people the experts that we have talked to, and a lot of those studies were done by men for men, and they have no bearing on women's actual desire.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite episodes I've done off Pretty Smart was with Eve Rodsky.
Speaker 2: On Oh I Love Eve. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, her work is really great, And there's a sociologist Lisa Waite who says there's a correlation between equal division of labor and better sex. So, I mean, this is Eve's like all of her work, is that women are often responsible for so much of the invisible labor and households. Did you feel like anyone you interviewed echoed that statement because the resentment you talked about earlier definitely is fed there.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, I think that resentment definitely leads to worse set and one hundred percent leads to less sex. So when there is more emotional labor being done by the woman, when everything is unequal, yeah, you're not gonna want to do it with your husband. You're just not. And I think that that is also why we see a drop off in people's sex lives after they have kids. It's not because a woman becomes a less sexual being when she has children, but it's because she's doing so much more of the goddamn work.
Speaker 1: M that's really important to note. Yeah, okay, let's talk about Monique. Yeah, this is the one that your friends want to know about, so this might also be good. So Monique has been married for thirty years, but her husband doesn't share her same adventurous spirit when it comes to sex. She enjoys the stability and love that her marriage provides, but she decides to open herself up to new opportunities, not wanting to miss out on all the experiences that life has to offer her.
Speaker 4: Let's just say you like to play tennis, and you're really good at it, like really good, and at some point you go to your partner and you say, you know what, I really need to play tennis with somebody who plays tennis at my level. Line, nobody would say, oh no, don't go find that person.
Speaker 1: You'd be like, yeah, I totally get it.
Speaker 2: You know, you love this.
Speaker 1: This is one of your favorite things in the whole world.
Speaker 4: Go find somebody who's as into it as you are.
Speaker 2: If you take out tennis and say really fun, really great.
Speaker 4: Sex, yeah, then suddenly it's not the same kind of activity.
Speaker 1: So Monique's story is part of an episode titled Can One Partner Give You Everything? Where do you think you land on that after this pod?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. That was something I discovered when I was reporting the book How to Be Married Too, that one partner can't give you everything. And it is such an American ideal, that ideal of the soulmate, of that one person being your everything. In so many other cultures, they don't believe that. I mean, for instance, in France, they're much more open to flirting, to just kind of enjoying the company of other sexes. It's a lie to say everyone in France is having an affair. It's a ridiculous lie in stereotype. But they definitely do flirt more, and they definitely do have relationships, not necessarily sexual, with members of the opposite sex, because they get things out of those relationships that you're not necessarily getting from your spouse. Those people, even if it's something as small as someone to laugh at your jokes. Again, your spouse has hurt all your jokes, they might not think they're funny anymore. So maybe you need to get that somewhere else, you know. Or then I talked to a lot of couples when I traveled around India who will tell you it takes a village to make a marriage work. It takes having family around you, It takes support to have a marriage work. The idea that you're going it alone with this one person who's going to be or everything is uniquely American and also incredibly destructive.
Speaker 1: Did you personally have any sort of because you were talking about like you were. If you were writing about being single and you bought your own engagement ring, did you have these romantic wander lusts?
Speaker 2: Totally? Totally. I absolutely did. And you know, I had bought into the whole like romantic industrial complex when I was single that there was only one way to be that there was only one person out there for me. And I think that being married and doing the hard work of marriage because mcne mistake, I mean, marriage is work, has not lessened the romantic in may. It's definitely made me more practical and it's definitely made me question all of the norm surrounding marriage.
Speaker 1: Do you see marriage changing for people in the US in the next forty to fifty years.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're going to see a massive sea change anytime soon. I will say that now I've been in interviews where people are like, but there's so much more ethical non monogamy and open marriages there are. I think that monogamy will likely remain the norm. What I'm hoping is that we start to see a little more flexibility in how we judge people for what they choose. If they choose monogamy, if they choose ethical non monogamy. I want to see a more openness to different systems. I also, what I really want to see change is exactly what you were talking about, which is the emotional labor in a marriage. I want to see more actual, real equality in a marriage, because right now it remains really hard. Even if you have a feminist husband, a husband who wants to do the right things, so much of a burden still falls on women. And I think that that's what makes marriage really difficult.
Speaker 1: It's what I hear from almost every woman I interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know like Nick does try very hard, naturally does really great. And I will say, now that we've got three kids, we're as close to parody in terms of who is doing what as we've ever been. And I still do feel like I'm doing a little more. But we're getting so much better. We're so much closer now than we were in the beginning. But that took a lot of work. I feel like it was emotional labor just to get rid of all that emotional labor.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like the hard conversations you've had with Nick have allowed you to be more attracted or have they lessened the sexual tension?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Where do the hard conversations get you.
Speaker 2: No, they make you way more attracted to your spouse because you get rid of all of these resentments. Like the marriages that I know that are failing right now or failing in one way or another, are the ones where they didn't talk about these hard things. I don't think that there is anything as being too open in a marriage, because in a marriage, you're got to be open anyway. They're going to see you be totally gross. You're going to be at your worst, really are. My husband has seen three children come out of my body. The last one just fell out. She just like he looked down and all of a sudden we're in the hospital and he's like, the baby's in the bank. She just slithered out.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Joe.
Speaker 2: So like, marriage is gross, and so they're like, you only have something to gain by talking about all of the things because you're gonna resent your spouse.
Speaker 1: Lass. You know, I noticed when you asked or when you talked about what you hope to see in the future, you mentioned polyamory and consensual non monogamy, but you didn't say non monogamy. That's where you've landed. It's like you want people to have the conversation about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I do. I think it's definitely healthier if people can have the conversation about it right now. I don't think everyone is able to have that conversation. It's not always easy. Sometimes you try to start to have the conversation and you just get shut down by your spouse. We saw that a lot in the She Wants more podcasting. People say I approached this, I said what I wanted, and he didn't want it, and now we're at an impasse, so what do we do? And then they decided to cheat because the conversation wasn't getting them anywhere. You know, in an ideal world, if you wanted to step outside your marriage, you could talk to your spouse about that. I do not think we are in that ideal world yet.
Speaker 1: I think some people are.
Speaker 2: No, some people are sure, of course they are, but I don't think. I mean, I definitely don't think everyone is. I mean, I have friends both male and female, who said I would like to open up my marriage. I know that my spouse isn't going to go for it, right.
Speaker 1: I guess you never know until you try it. I hear from a lot of men in particular that I think they're nervous to bring it up to their wife or their spouse because they feel like there's no turning back. Even broaching the conversation could blow up everything. I clearly don't have enough experience in that world, but I always think that maybe you're underestimating them. You never know until you talk about it.
Speaker 2: You never know until you talk about it. But then, just as you said, there's also no going back. Once you've let the cat out of the bag, you're never going to find the cat again. You cannot put a cat back in a bag.
Speaker 1: I guess, can't put the toothpaste bag in the tube?
Speaker 2: Sure can?
Speaker 1: M m okay, I have a quick rapid fire for you.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do it.
Speaker 1: A piece of love and marriage advice that you've learned and used.
Speaker 2: Talk to your spouse about all of the hard things and the weird things, and the more uncomfortable the better, and try to do it every night. And what you need to do is you have to let each person talk for five minutes and the other person isn't allowed to interrupt you.
Speaker 1: You do that every night, No, but I wish I did even once a week would be good right, Yeah, once a week is great. Okay. A piece of love and marriage advice that you think is way outdated.
Speaker 2: The fact that your spouse should be your best friend. You should have another best friend. It's weird if your spouse is your best friend. Get more friends.
Speaker 1: Okay. A book you've read that changed your life.
Speaker 2: I like to recommend books that came out kind of recently that I would like people to read more often. So The Great Circle is my favorite book of the past five years. It's just a soaring, beautiful piece of historical fiction about female pilot and the author is so smart that it will just, you know, make you feel like the dumbest person in the room. But it's a perfect novel in my opinion. And I read a lot of bad novels in my line of work and a lot of great novels, and The Great Circle is one of the greatest that I've read recently.
Speaker 1: Thank you for adding that to the Pretty Smart library. Yeah, so I do a pretty smart question. I have this card deck, and I picked a random question for you. It says, what's the best thing you've ever quit?
Speaker 2: I quit my job at a newspaper and Jerry Maguire out of there and it was just kind of these golden handcuffs. I loved my job, I loved my coworkers, and it was the best thing that I ever did because it forced me to start writing books. And now I've written something like ten books.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: I know so much better.
Speaker 1: What is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 2: Marrying my husband? Mmmmmm? Find it because you know. I talked to Catlin Moran about this and her advice for young women is so smart. Your glass ceiling is the person that you marry. I truly believe that for women that if you choose your spouse properly, there is nothing you can't do. But if you choose someone who is going to restrict you in any way, then that is your glass ceiling.
Speaker 1: No pressure, not at all.
Speaker 2: But that person doesn't have to be your best friend. That should take some of the pressure away.
Speaker 1: But you do have to want to have sex with them.
Speaker 2: You do, you do, but not all the time. I also think that you have to remember that the marriage has different seasons and you will want to have sex with them all the time sometimes and then other times, like after you've just had a baby and your husband's vasectomy keeps getting postponed, you won't want to have sex with them for a while.
Speaker 1: Thanks for sharing that, Joe.
Speaker 2: Any time, I.
Speaker 1: Want to thank the people that make the show possible. Colleen O'Neill, Jill Salama, Carrie o'keef and Phil Speed Tech. Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day to have a good day. I'll see you next week.