Speaker 1: How come everybody.
Speaker 2: It is the KSR pre Show Wednesday, May fourteenth. I'm Shannon the Dude to be enjoined by Billy Rutledge, and we want to hear from you. Give us a call on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line at eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. You can be our Whiskey Thief Call of the day and you can also send us a text if you can't call.
Speaker 1: That's five oo two two six five six six five six.
Speaker 2: The KSR pre Show is being brought to you by Italics Fine Italian Donning in Lexington. That is where Billy our Sports is right now. I'm over in Louisville at the four Street Live Studio.
Speaker 1: How are you doing this morning, Billy?
Speaker 3: I'm great, dude. It's good to see you. Good to see you with a smile on your face. We got a producer this morning, so you're in a different studio.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm smiling.
Speaker 4: You're chipper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got we got Liam over there. I asked us, like, man, can you come in every day? Makes my life so much easier because I'm like, I like it. I need like six more hands. Normally when I'm in there like an octopus trying to figure out like how to produce the show and host the show at the same time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, everything's good, man. How are things in Lexington?
Speaker 3: They're good, They're good. You know, I didn't do it yesterday. I may have to do it today. I may have to go over to Chaos Bar and grill and get some of that catfish that was so good that Ryan was using a fork to eat out of his hand yesterday. It did look incredible. They said they got some new catfish in so that may be on my agenda to try today, Shannon.
Speaker 4: Something always new with Ryan, don't you, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Look, I think people were saying we were being a little tough on them. I've just never seen anybody use a fork and eat food out of their hand, like out of the palm of their hand. Now, he was saying, Matt, I guess you know. I see Matt do tho all the time. He'll just go in with his hand and just rip off a piece of fish and you know, throw it, throw it in his gullet and down it goes. But I don't know, I've just never seen anybody use that technique of eating. I don't guess there's a wrong way to do it. But if you're trying to be sanitary and not use your hand, eating out of the other hand, I don't think makes it any better. It's just an interesting screenshot that we got there from Mario's post.
Speaker 4: No, it was it was great. It was great content.
Speaker 1: Mario.
Speaker 3: You're posting the right videos. I don't think I've ever seen a video like that. But I like Ryan got a little defensive. Did you hear it in his voice a little bit? I mean he was, he was a little fed up with that.
Speaker 1: You know, we do give him a hard time. Usually it's deserved.
Speaker 2: But you know, somebody said, Ryan's going to go off on you guys one of these days and say enough's enough.
Speaker 4: Hell, I'm going to go off on you guys one of these days. Oh you are little brothers.
Speaker 1: You get picked on too much.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm gonna have my breaking point. Janne.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing for anybody that says like we're too tough on Ryan or we're too tough on Billy, it's it's all out of love, right, It's all out of fun. This is a show. We poke fun at each other. I make fun of you, You make fun of me. That's how it works. We make fun of Matt, he makes fun of us. It's all a part of the show. It's all good. Don't like, we don't need people coming to bat for anybody, because I feel like the fans try to interject and like, oh, you guys are being too tough on him, Like you know how tough I had it my first day. Here we go, all right, I don't want to hear any sympathy for anybody on this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure you went through it as well, maybe some other initiation things. But you know, Ryan and I were voted I guess least trustworthy to host KSR while we've been drinking, that's true. Yeah, would you put me on the bottom of that list too? Shannon todostability can't handle himself on the air.
Speaker 2: Well, we didn't specify how many drinks. I think it was just while drunk. Yeah, was the question like, which of the KSR members would you trust in order the most to the least if they were drunk. So that's a different number, you know. For Drew it's about fifteen beers. For Billy it's too.
Speaker 1: Mimosas So it all depends.
Speaker 2: It's a sliding scale, okay that we're talking about here when it comes to being drunk. But you know, I would just say that for me, somebody who has experience in doing live radio at music fests, I would never to being drunk on the air ever, O never, not saying it ever happened. But allegedly people have brought brought by you know, like you're a Bourbon and Beyond fest.
Speaker 1: Why don't you try some bourbon?
Speaker 2: And I'm going, well, I'm on the air right now, I can't hear in theory. I'm just saying in theory, I could hold my alcohol. I've got some stories I could probably tell you, Billy off the air that I won't tell on the air, But no, I think that I would.
Speaker 1: Be right there at the top.
Speaker 3: So you come from a different time, I mean, rock Jah, Like we talked about initiations, like you've you've been through this a little bit. I took a drink of bourbon coffee at one of our Whiskey Thief's remotes and by the last segment chain and I definitely was feelished.
Speaker 1: So maybe I could tell the bo you were talking gibberish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that was one of the first times that we went to Whiskey Thief and excited to go back, whether that be.
Speaker 4: Their Louisville location or the one outside.
Speaker 1: Frank, could I tell you what I did yesterday?
Speaker 4: Please? Yeah, what'd you get up to?
Speaker 2: I decided that I'm going to dabble in farming a little bit.
Speaker 1: Now. I'll say farming.
Speaker 2: Very very very very loosely. Okay, I mean like planting a couple of plants. Farming gardening then right, well, okay, gardening whatever, farming, gardening.
Speaker 1: I like this.
Speaker 2: I like to think I'm a farmer now because I got like a my land, like what okay, Like my house was my old uh my grandparents' house, right, So when I was a kid, a good chunk of their backyard was garden.
Speaker 1: Like it was all just tilled up, and they had a nice garden.
Speaker 2: They had like everything you can imagine, green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, squash.
Speaker 1: It was all there, right.
Speaker 2: But then over time, like when they got older and when they passed away, all that area kind of grew into grass. But my neighbor to the left side of me continued to have his garden, so that part of his garden kind of extends over to my property for I don't know, maybe a good let's call it thirty feet. Okay, so part of my backyard is tilled up for a garden. Okay, so I decided I'm going to plan something there. He's got his garden over here. I'm going to plant something. So what I do. I go out and I buy some pumpkin seeds because I decide, how fun would it be when October rolls around, I'm going to have a backyard of pumpkins. So yesterday Billy got out, I got out in the garden. I planted some pumpkins. Farmer, dude, planet some pumpkins. I have no idea if these things are going to work. I don't even know really what I'm doing. I just got on a YouTube video and said, okay, how do you plant pumpkin seeds?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: When do you plan them? So somebody listening right now.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's gardeners and farmers that are listening right now that are probably going to tell me you're doing it all wrong, you planted them too early. But I'm just trying to time this out, Billy, to where I could possibly have some pumpkins.
Speaker 1: And you know what, here's the thing. I might have a pumpkin.
Speaker 2: I can give everybody a KSR if they turn out, you know, if they don't rot, if they actually come up from the ground.
Speaker 4: So his pumpkin patch.
Speaker 2: Have you ever experimented with as you're calling it, gardening before and try to grow like an actual plant.
Speaker 3: Well, I've done a different type of gardening now and then, Shannon, But my parents also had their own gardens, so I am no stranger to what it takes to grow plants. Now, you said the ground was already I guess plowed or tilled, told extended from the other yards.
Speaker 2: He would be my first question. He took some liberties and went over on my side of the property. So I'm going, well, since it's already, you know, it's already ready to go, let's just throw a couple of plants down and see what happens here.
Speaker 4: There's no fence.
Speaker 2: There, no, no, there's my neighbors in this neighborhood. I have known since I was a child, all right, So I've known these people my entire life, so it's all good. It's not like there's any kind of neighbor neighborly rivalry going on here, So.
Speaker 4: Now, was this the guy winning all the money or.
Speaker 1: Yeah that had Yeah, No, no, this was the guy that was winning all the money.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, I love this guy.
Speaker 3: He's just walking across the yard and cleaning out your other neighbors.
Speaker 2: He's also the guy you might remember from last summer. I asked you about why my neighbor was hanging a towel on his car mirror. Winshield, Yeah, the side mirror.
Speaker 1: Same neighbor. He's an interesting guy.
Speaker 4: He is, but he knows he's been a topic on this show multiple times.
Speaker 1: He does not listen.
Speaker 2: Like I said, none of my friends, none of the people that I know outside of this radio world, ever listen to anything that I do. They're so unimpressed that I have a radio show.
Speaker 1: They don't care. They don't even listen. They don't even support me.
Speaker 3: Well that's good sometimes because then you can talk to them about things that aren't in your work life. But I got a couple questions for farmer dude. Okay, so you went to the store and picked up some pumpkin seeds.
Speaker 1: Wrong?
Speaker 4: No, wrong, Okay, where'd I go wrong?
Speaker 2: I went to Amazon dot Com ad them delivered to my house.
Speaker 3: Okay, giant pumpkin seeds. Giant pumpkin seeds. That's like this really is like Charlie Brown. We're trying to find the great Pumpkin's right. So it says on the back one hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: I'm going to assume that means each pumpkin will not be one hundred pounds. I assume that means like if you were to take all the pumpkins that are going to be bloomed and blossomed off these plants, it would equal one hundred pounds.
Speaker 1: That's my assumption here.
Speaker 2: I don't think that I'm growing pumpkins that are one hundred pounds each. Otherwise we're gonna need a bigger boat.
Speaker 1: Any more room.
Speaker 3: Well, will help you get that thing to the exposition center for the State Fair. Yeah, ribbon on that exactly, But only pumpkin, right, nothing else, just seeds.
Speaker 2: Four hills of pumpkins, Billy, you got a plant them on a hill. Wow, I'm gonna teach you something about.
Speaker 3: Guarding bywater farms here in Shannon in the dude's backyard.
Speaker 1: Going to be in October, that's right.
Speaker 3: I'm excited, So, like, you know, are you gonna get out and water it or are you just gonna let mother nature do its thing?
Speaker 4: I mean, how you gonna maintain your garden here?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that, Yeah, there's rain, ring comes down, it's it's it's watery and and against the h the germination, see you like an expert. Yeah, there's a germination period which is one hundred days, which I don't entirely know what germination means. I believe that means from the time you plant the seed until you get blooms on your plant.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. I'm learning as we go.
Speaker 2: When we'll go to the text line, correct, We'll go to the We'll go to Twitter, we'll go to the I'm sure there's going to be experts out there on how to grow pumpkins, when to you know, when to do everything, when to water them. But I'm I'm learning as we go. This may turn out to be a complete bust. But I thought that you know, every uh, I don't know. A couple of weeks, I could give you a pumpkin update on the show.
Speaker 3: Oh, I would love pumpkin updates on the pesticides and the you know, maybe some deer come around and start eating some of your.
Speaker 4: Baby Oh no, Shannon, how are.
Speaker 3: We going to get rid of deer from eating out of Shannon the Dude's garden. Yeah, that'll be a topic this summer. Well, I'm excited. Maybe make you can make us a little pumpkin pie.
Speaker 2: No, no, look, here's the thing. I already did my part at this point. A planet, the seeds, Mother Nature's gonna do her thing. And then like, if you want a pumpkin, you have to come over and pick it from the patch.
Speaker 1: I can't do everything for you.
Speaker 3: That might be my favorite part of this story is Shannon's done. He's planting the seeds. His job is done. Now Mother Nature will take over and we can come get the pumpkins if we want them.
Speaker 4: But Shannon has done his part.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So looking forward to seeing what happens, or more than likely, what does doesn't happen in this whole thing.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So the big story I think yesterday came from Mark Pope, who sat down with the media. He talked for over thirty minutes. He touched on a variety of topics. He talked about Travis Perry. That was one of the things that Matt actually mentioned on the show yesterday. You know, we haven't really heard anything from either side about Travis Perry transferring Billy and Pope.
Speaker 1: Used the word devastated.
Speaker 2: He said he was devastated to learn that Travis Perry wanted to transfer, and he said that he was well on his way to becoming a legend at Kentucky. You know, after hearing those words, it's like, man, I wish we could have hung on to him for the rest of his college career. But I get it, man, we live in a different world with a transfer portal. It's very tempting for a guy like Travis Perry, who maybe the twelfth or thirteenth man on the team, to not go to another school where he can double or maybe even triple his money. So it's it's a tough situation for guys like that who aren't guaranteed playing time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was one of the quotes that stuck out to me. He was well on his way to becoming a Kentucky legend. So that obviously means Mark Pope thought highly of the guy, and it also had some plans for him, whether that be how much he was going to play this year or in the coming years. And you're right, the climate of college sports today is that if you're not playing a lot of times, there's going to be another place that can offer you that playing time and also a little nil.
Speaker 4: Money to go along with it.
Speaker 3: So I don't fault Travis Perry's decision, but to hear the anguish in Mark Pope's voice about Travis, you could tell it meant something to him, and that's refreshing to hear. Not that coaches don't care about when a player gets away, but you could tell Mark really does care for his guys. And just another point to why Pope has worked so well at this university is that it just bleeds through them, right. You can tell in that thirty minute press conference how much the university means to him and how much guys like TP means to him, And they really built a good relation relationship. And in a press conference that, you know, he talked so much about the jump that second year guys will make in this system.
Speaker 4: You know, I think he obviously thought the same about Travis.
Speaker 2: Now you at to find yourself a new partner to do your your coffee commercial with you.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, is his funky rooster endorsement void now that he's gone?
Speaker 1: I would think so contract. I mean, we can get Trent Noah maybe over there with you.
Speaker 3: Sure he drinks coffee, Yeah, he's And Pope was excited about Trent Noah too, talking about him gaining eight gonna going to gain eighteen pounds and writing a special story. I can't help, but maybe check Mark every time I hear the word beautiful and of Mark Pope press conference now because.
Speaker 1: Thinking of a drink and take a shot.
Speaker 2: Every time you hear the word beautiful, Billy, do you think if I said between now and November. I'm not saying that I'm challenging you to do this, I'm just saying in theory. Do you think if I said between now and basketball season in November, I need you to gain eighteen pounds and not eighteen pounds of fat. We're talking, you know, eighteen pounds of some mostly muscle. Do you think you could pull that off? I mean, were so we got We're midway through May, so you got the rest of May, June, July, August, September, October.
Speaker 1: We're looking at what six months?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, probably just because I'm I'm that type of guy, Shannon, I mean, I put my mind to something I can do it. But like, here's the difference between me and Trent Noah is the nutrition right. I mean, he's got a whole team. I mean, he's got a university back nutritionists that's going to tell him when to eat, what to eat, and how many calories to get.
Speaker 4: Shannon, I'm just kind of throwing it together. You know. I got a granola bar. I might eat a little later today.
Speaker 1: Maybe a Stell twinkie from the covid Era.
Speaker 4: Stale twinkie and ho hose here, And I mean.
Speaker 2: That's gonna put some weight on you, but not the kind of weight we need for you to be out there and be our basketball player.
Speaker 3: About twenty pounds though in a few months is tough, though, Shannon, that's gonna be a lot of Mose burritos or you know, just trying to cheat your way into five thousand calories today. You remember I did the Damien Collins challenge when he was eating five thousand calories today, and I did that and I about killed myself. I had to eat nothing but like thin mints to the final hour and a half of the day, just because it was a cheap way to get those calories. Also put in olive oil on a lot of different things can help you get to that, But I do not envy having to be in that position.
Speaker 4: Shannon, what about you? You think you could put on the pounds?
Speaker 2: Probably not even Like, well, the big difference is though you're a little closer to Trent Noah's age than I am.
Speaker 4: All right, sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: But I will say, well, you know what, your metabolism slower.
Speaker 4: That might be easy.
Speaker 2: That's true that that is a good point. That is a good point, But I don't know that it would be the right kind of weight. Like I could probably put on, like, you know, drink a bunch of beer and get eighteen pounds of a beer belly going here, But I don't know that it would be productive weight.
Speaker 3: Well, Trent, nowa's got to gain eighteen pounds and then still run sprints.
Speaker 1: At practice, right, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Like it's like you said, it's got to be a healthy muscle weight. You know, we could just put on the beer belly and get to that eighteen pounds, maybe even a little quicker than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if Trent, if Trent comes back with a beer belly, I think we're all in trouble.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't that be Great Aunt Mamba, Sweet Mountain Angel. Baby's got a beer gut on the sideline. He just can't stop hitting threes.
Speaker 1: Well, Luca's got a beer gut and he's thriving. That's right in the NBA, though, really that's true. Eight five nine twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 2: I got more than I want to talk about, including the end of the Mark Pope press conference yesterday. I got to play this clip for you because it's great. But we're we're running a little late on this first break, so let's go ahead and hit that now. We'll take your phone calls. Coming up next. Eight five nine two eighth twenty two eighty seven. It is Billy Rutledgion Farmer dude here with you on the KSR pre Show. All right, welcome back. It is the KSR pre Show. Eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. Billy, I am a little concerned about my pumpkin planting after getting some feedback from listeners. Yeah me tooluding, including our good friend Richie Farmer. I mean it's it's in the name Farmer.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: He says these pumpkins are gonna be one hundred pun each.
Speaker 2: I misinterpreted it when it said one hundred pounds, I thought it mad like one hundred pounds together, Like at the end of harvest. I take all these pumpkins and I put them on a scale, it's gonna be about one hundred pounds. I didn't realize I was planning pumpkins that are going to be one hundred pounds each.
Speaker 1: And that's yeah, that's gonna be a real problem.
Speaker 4: And how many rows did you say of these seeds that you plan in like four four hills?
Speaker 2: It says you're supposed to plant four to six seeds per hill. At twenty four seeds. Oh my god, my backyard is going to turn into a pumpkin padch Oh my.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I can wait.
Speaker 3: You know this is perfect case our faction, that these are actually one hundred pound pumpkins that you're growing.
Speaker 1: Should I dig them up now before it's too late? No?
Speaker 3: No, No, You've done your job, Shannon, as you've said, you kick back and relax and you just let mother nature do the rest.
Speaker 2: Randolph says that according to Google AI, I'm doing it wrong. You're supposed to have five hundred square feet for each one hundred pounds pumpkin.
Speaker 3: Five hundred square feet for each pumpkin, and you're saying you put six seeds in each hill. Yeah, and you only got about thirty feet of garden here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, well, hey, you know what, Hey, hey, hey, You're gonna die when I have my pumpkins and all you are out there who are critics. I'm not gonna give you any of my pumpkins. You've got to go buy your own pumpkins. And pumpkins, by the way, are not cheap. These things are like you ever go to like Cubers and buy a pumpkin. Yeah, it's like twenty dollars a pumpkin and they're not one hundred pounds either.
Speaker 3: You're gonna move that pumpkin and carve it and take it into the living room.
Speaker 4: You're not doing anything with one hundred pounds pumpkins.
Speaker 2: You wait, I'm gonna have the biggest I'm have a pumpkin piefest in my neighborhood. It's gonna be awesome, and you're not gonna be invited. I'm also a little concerned about dogs and animals eating these pumpkins. Somebody else has sent a screenshot that says this. I guess, Uh pumpkin patch was invaded by a pack of dogs, and I guess they ate all the pumpkins. Am I gonna be out there guarding my garden, guarding the garden at all hours of the night so that they don't eat my pumpkins.
Speaker 4: Oh it's a thing.
Speaker 3: But you know, I never saw the dogs or cats come out and get the guard and it was usually like raccoons or possums or moles. Look at that that dog isn't is in the garden. The dog is eating pumpkins.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but you are gonna run into some wildlife issues, whether it be some deer that come along and think that's their next meal. Yeah, you're gonna you're gonna have to get the crossbow out or something.
Speaker 2: Shannon I did say giant pumpkin seeds. I just I didn't believe them. I mean I looked on Amazon. I looked at you know, you go to the reviews and you look at the pictures. I didn't see then one hundred pounds pumpkins on there. They looked like they were about five pounds at best.
Speaker 3: So, like it said, giant pumpkins seeds giant pumpkin seeds. You were just like, Oh, it'll be spread out. I just thought the seeds were big. I know the pumpkins are gonna.
Speaker 4: Be together, they'll be giant, not individually.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see all this plays out.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have some good stories come up coming up in good late September and October when these things actually sprouted. Hey the eyes of the horse racing world or on Baltimore, who will be crowned King of the track? You can find out on the DK horse App, the number one download at horse betting app. Head to the DK horse App now, opt in and bet five dollars or more to win the stakes. If your pit crosses the finish line first, you're going to wear your win your share of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars in the prize pool. You can download the DK horse Racing App and use code ksr's code KSR on the dky horse app. Bet five dollars or more for your shot at one hundred and fifty thousand dollars only on draft kings. To the crown is yours gambling problem? Call one eight hundred gambler eighteen plus twenty one plus in certain states to open owner access and advanced deposit wagering account and resident of state where DKAY horses available. Eligibility restricts to apply void We're a prohibited Opt in and place a five dollars or more straight win bet on the preakedness first eligible bet only must win to share it one hundred fifty thousand dollars cash reward be a click to claim. Expires in thirty days, ends May seventeenth. See terms at dkhorse dot com slash bet, slash offers, slash details. All right, let's go back to the Mark Pope press conference from Yes, Billy, I want to play this clip for you right now.
Speaker 1: At the end, nobody.
Speaker 2: Had asked after thirty minutes about the Kentucky Saint John's game, And here's what Mark Pope had to say.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, well never mind that was the end. Let's draw that again.
Speaker 5: Here's place and if we do our go on this court and with this fan base in a really intimate way, and it should be theirs forever. The thing that would make me most sad in the world is if there was ever a former player or former coach that didn't feel like they were welcomed here.
Speaker 1: This okay, this is the tell end of another question, but we'll get to it here.
Speaker 5: It's really special. It should be all right.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 5: TBT. There's a couple of things I'm supposed to say.
Speaker 1: Can we do this?
Speaker 5: I was supposed to say sending CBS. First of all, nobody asked about Saint John's Is this possible?
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 5: You guys aren't excited about this. Thank you?
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Uh man. I've been working hard on this game, and I'm so grateful to CBS. I'm grateful to U.
Speaker 6: C l A.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're up against the breaker. I time this out poorly. That's on me.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that in just a minute. You have to hear a little bit of bark pope there. That's the tease. I'll get to what I wanted to play coming up after the break.
Speaker 4: He's excited.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Eight twenty two eighty seven. I'll teed that up wrong. It's a live radio, man, what are you gonna do? We'll make good on it. We'll make We'll make good on it coming up next. KS our pre show, KS our apprecio continues aight five to nine two eight oh, twenty two eighty seven. I'm going to go to the phone in just a minute. But I sort of fumbled playing. When I was trying to play, we were up against the hard break. So I'm gonna try this again. This was the the takeaway from the Pope press conference for me yesterday.
Speaker 5: I don't know what happened with UCLA, but somehow that they're not in this and Saint John's is and and and uh, it's awesome. I'm so hyped. I'll be honest with you, just if I'm putting this out there so Coach p can hear it. I am bringing the suit game. I already started planning. Coach, just be ready, Okay, bring it, and the game's gonna be elite.
Speaker 1: I'm not going white.
Speaker 5: I can't listen. I'm not trying to be the dawn like that's all that position I'd have been taking. But I'm bringing the thunder. So I don't know what coach has prepared, but he better get with his Taylor because it's on right now.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: What do you think about Mark Pope challenging Rick Patino to a suit off, saying that he's gonna he better go get this Taylor because he's gonna have a Mark Pope's gonna have his best suit ready for that Kentucky Saint John's game.
Speaker 3: Well, look, this is why we wanted this game, right, and in no disrespect to Yukon, but we wanted Ricky p and Mark Pope to play because there's a lot of love between these two guys, Pope being the captain a rix' national championship team.
Speaker 4: But is he poking the bear here a little bit?
Speaker 1: Shannon.
Speaker 3: I mean, if anybody's gonna be the best suit wearer in college basketball, it's Ricky p So. I mean, Mark must have some big plans for this game. I mean, he needs to really bring it with the wardrobe. If he's already poking fun about the suits, Shannon, I heard somebody say on the Leech Sport this morning, maybe the denim suit he breaks out, look, but that would be a lot, right, I mean, in tuxedo.
Speaker 2: I love Mark Pope, but there is zero chance he's gonna outdress Rick Patino. Not happening like a Tucky might win the game, and of course that's the most important part of this whole thing. Anyway, It's not a fashion show, it's a basketball game. But there is no chance. I don't care what Mark Pope wears. He's not gonna look better in a suit than Rick Patino. Rick Patino was like the Godfather, you know. Yeah, you talk about sharp dressers in college basketball, Buzz Williams comes to mind.
Speaker 4: That's a great one. He's the three piece suit.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: I don't see anybody do the three piece suit.
Speaker 1: But so many coaches have gone away.
Speaker 2: You know, it all started during COVID where coaches now have sort of a pass to not wear the suits. And you know, Mark Pope says that he wears a suit if he is in an arena of yeah that has history, like you know that feels like it's a big arena like a Madison Square Garden. Of course he would wear a suit if he played a game there. But you know he doesn't always get Pope doesn't always go with the suit, which no, I think.
Speaker 3: He goes suit at home games, right, and then the maybe the jumpsuit on a road games.
Speaker 2: But he wouldn't do it in like a Madison Square Garden though. It was my point, like if it's a building of history like MSG, he would be wearing the suit.
Speaker 3: Well, he respects the game and he respects Ricky p and who wouldn't. Right now, you know, rick has had a resurgence and is on top of the college basketball game. And I'm sure we'll have Saint John's competing for you know, a longer postseason run than what happened this last year. I'm sure that was disappointing for them for sure, but builds for the excitement of this game. You said that was your key takeaway from the Pope press conference. He said, Jasper Johnson is a superstar. My eyebrows about hit my band when I heard that, Shannon, Well, they didn't have far to go, Jammy Jazz for superstar. I mean, if that guy can produce at that kind of level, I mean, I've got a lot of confidence for the guards coming in. So a lot of great tidbits from that press conference. And uh, now that Pope's talking to the medium, maybe he thinks that his roster is almost setting and he'll be joining out on KSR one of these days soon.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the phones and talk to voice man. Hey, voice man, Voice man one.
Speaker 7: That's a situation on the guy be picked up from uh arizonas where the situation on the guy who has the torn the asca. What the Mark public is going to.
Speaker 6: Do with him?
Speaker 2: All right, thanks for the call of voice Man. First of all, voice Man sounds a lot like voice to me. Thanks for the call.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: Jane Quaintans is who I think he is talking about from Arizona State, who is coming off the torn acl Mark Pope talked a little bit about Jade Quaintance. They are doing everything in their power to, you know, be cautious about this injury, but play at as fast as a speed that he can to bring him back as soon as he can. You know, I am not gonna think that he's going to be ready for the start of the season. Shannon, it would be a remarkable recovery time if he were to do that. And also goes to the point of Louisville schedule in the game so early that Jaden a Quaintance may not be able to take part in that game. So you know you mentioned a guy Malachi Moreno yesterday. I kind of scoffed at it a little bit. You know, he might have a big role early on in the year as we wait for a Quaintance to be returned to form. But if Boyce is looking for shot blocking that's a guy that's gonna produce some of it, Shannon maybe later on the year.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's a big part of what Kentucky wants to do.
Speaker 2: We got the shot blockers, We're good, we got the big man. This roster set, let's tip it off, let's go.
Speaker 3: Emerson's taken the next step. Colin Chandler just got married.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How much of a role do you think Colin Chandler will have You think he's gonna I mean, do you think he's gonna get more minutes this year than he than he would like towards the end of last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I think that's part of the reason why Travis Perry transferred is because I think there is an expectation that col And Chandler is going to be one of those people taking a step forward and gaining more minutes.
Speaker 4: And he's already proved me wrong once, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, the guy coming off a mission trip, not playing basketball for two years, I didn't think he'd do anything This last year. Mark Pope kept the rotation long and it proved very valuable to have him play when Guards went down with injury. But you know, there's a there's a lot of guards that should be producing the system.
Speaker 4: I think Colin Chandler is just one of them.
Speaker 3: Jalen Lowe is another, the point guard who I think is just going to be happy to play around some good players. Shannon because he was playing around uh, not the best talent at Pittsburgh, So he's going to have maybe a little bit of a culture change as well.
Speaker 1: Misty is up next. Hey Missy, Hey, missy.
Speaker 8: Hey, how are you good? Hey? Two things real quick. I planted a bunch of pumpkins last year in my backyard and I got one about the size of a soccer ball.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's about it, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 8: So don't expect don't expect a lot. I mean, you know, you might not gets You might only get one hundred pounds pumpkins. The other thing is you all have invites to my party. It's Sune fourteenth. I know Billy don't invite you all to his party. But Billy and Shannon.
Speaker 1: And Matt and Ryan and Mario.
Speaker 8: And Drew are all invited to our party.
Speaker 2: So okay, what kind of party are we talking about? This isn't like a dog birthday party, is it.
Speaker 8: No, this isn't the dog birthday party. This is all catered, live band, all free. All you have to do.
Speaker 4: Is bring your drinks, wow and whatever you Yeah.
Speaker 8: You should all have invites somewhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds good, either on Facebook or something you I'll be good. Thanks, Misty, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Missy. I love getting invited to parties.
Speaker 2: You go a little disappointed I didn't get invited to be that the band at the party.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, are you disappointed you're not doing my wedding anymore?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You told me that I was going to be the wedding band, and now you just kind of telling me, told me on the air that you're not going to book a band anymore.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I thought I wanted you to enjoy the day, Shannon Little. If you're you're the live entertainment, you're like setting things up, You're like trying to coordinate Cliff.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know how tough of an issue that can be.
Speaker 1: Sometimes.
Speaker 2: If you don't have those men girl scout cookies and that cupcake fiscatto, we're not playing.
Speaker 4: That was it.
Speaker 3: I saw the rider list, so I said, I can't do this, but no, we want you to be there, have a good time.
Speaker 4: Maybe you'll go acoustic at some point, all right.
Speaker 2: So we got to talk about this, like I'm a baseball guy, Billy, I think, I don't know if you're a baseball guy, but you you like baseball enough to where you.
Speaker 1: Follow it right.
Speaker 4: It's a fun place in my heart.
Speaker 2: And you sent me this link, so you were actually the person that sent it to me. Where I saw it first is this story that came out yesterday, the news that Major League Baseball has decided to lift its ban on deceased players who were previously ineligible for the Hall of Fame. In other words, what this means is a guy like Pete Rose, who just passed away eight months ago, would now be eligible for the Hall of Fame. And I don't know how you feel about this, Billy, but my initial thought is, what a slap in the face to Pete Rose, first of all, who called this. I've been saying this for years. Major League Baseball wouldn't put Pete Rose into the Hall of Fame until he died eight months later.
Speaker 1: Here we are.
Speaker 2: So my takeaway on this whole thing is if what Pete Rose did was so egregious, so terrible that he bet on his own team, to win when he was the manager of the Reds. If that's so bad that he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame while he's alive, why is it okay for us to put him in now that he's dead. I mean, what he did hasn't changed. He still bet on baseball. He finally, after lying about it, admitted to betting on baseball. Now, eight months after the guy passes, we're changing the guidelines. Now all of a sudden, he's eligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame. And I see people applauding Rod Manford in Major League Baseball, going yeah, about time, he deserves it. I'm going, ow, you shouldn't ap on Major League Baseball. Don't applaud rod Manfred. It's an absolute disgrace that they waited for this guy to pass away before they said, now you're eligible for the Hall of Fame. He would have loved it, obviously being in the Hall of Fame. You could tell when you would listen to Pete Roseen interviews how much it meant to him to be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: And you look at his numbers. Nobody did it better.
Speaker 2: So at some point I hear about the integrity of the game. You have to set aside, like the morals of these people. We don't know any of these guys. We don't know what any of these guys in the Hall of Fame that are already in did in their personal life.
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't care about the morals, all right. It's not the moral Hall of Fame for me. If it is for me, were they a great baseball player? And there's very few people out there in the history of the game that were better than Pete Rose.
Speaker 4: Billy, You're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is a disgrace that they did this after he passed away, and not the many years that him and his family family were clamoring for this. But it is the right move by baseball now. And I do want to clarify he is not being in into the Hall of Fame. He is just now eligible eligible. And the problem is is that the Baseball writers of America see themselves as gatekeepers of the sport, and even now that Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson are eligible for the Hall of Fame, I don't even know if these nerds are going to vote him in, Shannon, I mean, Barry Bond still isn't in Guys that have impacted the game in enormous ways continue to not be allowed to tell their story in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: So that's a much bigger issue.
Speaker 3: I mean, put asterisks on these guys and tell the full story of the sport. It is a joke what the Baseball Hall of Fame has become. But if we're talking about like making moves today, this is the right move. It is time to uplift this ban on Pete Rose and also a guy like shoeless Joe Jackson, who I guess threw the World Series back in the day, but with somebody that didn't commit an error in that World Series and also batted above three hundred.
Speaker 4: So there are questions about that.
Speaker 3: You know, the sport has changed a lot, and now you know there's gambling ads on the mound as I'm trying to watch a game, right, So the hypocrisy of keeping somebody ineligible for the Hall of Fame while you make millions, if not billions, of dollars on gambling is something that needed to be corrected in a right that needed to be wrong. But Shannon, I'm sorry if I don't get as worked up as you are about this because you know the guy's dead, like I just you know, the story has passed. They had this opportunity to do this the right way when he was alive and didn't right. And it goes back to your point, it's a shame that they waited this long to do it. What's changed, you know, shoeless Joe Jackson's been dead for seventy seventy five years, and they didn't decide to make any of these changes after he died. They waited until Pete Rose died. So it's just a shame that that had to be the marker for this change.
Speaker 2: To I think it would bother me a little bit less for some reason if it were twenty years from now and not eight months after the guy died.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 3: I agree that that clearly shows to me they were waiting for the guy to pass. Yeah, before they changed what they thought about the situation.
Speaker 1: Now you're changing the guidelines it again.
Speaker 2: It doesn't change what he did did what he You know, betting on baseball was that wrong? Yes, it was about it. It was wrong then, It was wrong yesterday, but why is it okay today? It was? It wasn't all that bad now that he's gone, because now we're saying he's eligible for the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: I think it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the biggest sticking point I have with this. Why the timing?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Why is it that Rob Manford is trying to save face and make these changes now? I mean, these are the changes that needed to be made. I'm glad that they're being made, but it's a shame that had to mark the death. You know, Matt always talks about this, giving people their flowers while they're alive. Yes, you know, don't wait to tell somebody a nice thing. No, don't wait to compliment them or tell them how much they mean to you, because you never know, you know, nothing's promised tomorrow. So it's you know, I'm happy for Pete Rose's family. They've been lobbying for this for a while. He will hopefully be remembered for the greatness that he brought to the sport. But you know, even if we get into the nitty gritty, Shannon, he was great as a player before he ever bet on the game as a manager, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're talking about the guy's playing career, We're not talking about what he did off the field.
Speaker 4: King.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a guy's got more wins than anybody in American sports. Like, it's just it's it's a tragedy that this guy isn't even recognized right or wrong, in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: But if I'm the family at this point, though, man, I would just be to the point where I'm going, now we don't even want to go.
Speaker 1: We don't even want Pete in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: You couldn't give him the honors while he was alive.
Speaker 2: I don't know how that works. I don't know that the family can block something like that happening. I don't know how that works. But if I had the ability to, and I was in his you know, the decision maker for Pete Rose, I would say, no, we don't want him in now.
Speaker 1: Forget it. You didn't want him in while he was alive. We don't want him in while he's.
Speaker 3: Dead, because I think that was a big part of like what Pete wanted his legacy.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, Pete has done a lot of things off the diamond that you could say, you know, put him in a category where he should not be celebrated, and that's a whole nother argument.
Speaker 2: But again, though that goes with any of these guys. We don't know any of these athletes that people worship every day and you know, they're heroes and hung up on posters and you know, on the wall like like they're, you know, the greatest people. We don't know what they do off the field. We don't know any of these people personally. So are there people in the Hall of Fame that were probably terrible people? Probably so, especially not today's stand up guys. You brought up in base You brought up the nineties guys. What are you gonna do with all those guys in nineties? Gonna pretend that Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bond, Roger Clements, We're gonna pretend those guys didn't exist.
Speaker 1: They were all cheating in the nineties.
Speaker 3: And no, and they broke rules that weren't rules at the time, right. They were taking substances that weren't banned. They were just not approved or banned, right. So, I mean that's a little murky, But at times, maybe you could argue that those guys are a fabric of baseball and the fact that they aren't celebrated for at least what their story was is the tragedy. But I texted you this story as soon as I saw it. And what did I say? I said, you called it yeah, because we knew this was going to happen, that he would be honored after he passed away, and it and it all came to fruition. Y.
Speaker 1: I think it's an absolute shame. We'll take your calls.
Speaker 2: Coming up next, We're Late for a Break eight five, nine to eighth, twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 1: It's the ksrpre show, Joe.
Speaker 2: You know, Billy, some of these summer shows were struggling just to get through an hour. This is one of these shows where I feel like we could do two hours, maybe even three on a show like this today, so many things to talk about. We'll probably carry over some of this to tomorrow if we don't get to all the callers.
Speaker 3: Lick yesterday when I called it mayor Joe Greenberg the other day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I got to mention this while we're talking baseball. A couple of things. First of all, how about my alma mater, Bellerman baseball. Bellerman University beats Louisville last night ten to nine. If you haven't seen that catch to end the game. It's one of the great catch just to end a game that I've seen in a long time. I've tweeted that out at Shannon of the dude. Bellerman with their first win over a ranked Division one opponent since I believe nineteen ninety one, maybe nineteen ninety But how about Bellerman knocking off number twenty one in the country Louisville last night.
Speaker 3: I didn't know it was thirty four to thirty five years since the last time Bellerman beat a ranked Division one opponent.
Speaker 4: Give it up, Yeah nights.
Speaker 2: Remember you know, they were D two for the longest time, just went D one recently, so you don't play a whole lot of D one schools to begin with.
Speaker 3: So congrats to the team who beat Louisville, a Louisville team that had beat Vandy earlier this year. That's Kentucky's next weekend series, so that gives you some hope that Kentucky can at least steal one from the Commodores and secure their spot in the NCAA Tournament. Kentucky getting a win over Northern Kentucky last night, that's right. One of the things on the Baseball Diamond.
Speaker 2: Kentucky Baseball's now one went away from having four consecutive thirty win seasons, so they can get one against Vandy, which you'll have. Let's get to the phones quickly. Only got a couple of minutes. Let's go to Raleigh. Hey, rolly, what's up, Hey guys.
Speaker 6: I have a really unpopular opinion about Pete Rose. I know, I'm sixty eight. I've been a Reds fan all my life. I love the Reds, still do. But it was not it was not secret when he was playing ball. What would happen if you bet on baseball? He was on every clubhouse wall in the league. He knew what the consequences, worried he did it anyway, So I think he got what he deserved.
Speaker 1: And but why, but why now? But why? Why now?
Speaker 2: Would they say, okay, now, that's okay that he bet on baseball. Now he's eligible, Like, if you want to, if that's your take, that's fine, but why not stay consistent till the end of time?
Speaker 6: I agree, I agree one hundred percent. I think they should not have lifted it, and I think it should still be enforced. And you know, I hate that because I love the Reds. I love the big Red Machine. But that's that's just how I feel.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call. We appreciate it, Raleigh.
Speaker 4: And that's a fair opinion.
Speaker 3: I think some people didn't want to see Pete Rose give his Hall of Fame speech. Maybe he would go after major League Baseball a little bit, as people pointed out on the text.
Speaker 4: Maybe so that was a reason as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, like I'm finally, if you think betting on baseball is bad, and it is, it's against the rules. He broke the rules. He admitted that he broke the rules. That's fine, But then let's keep him.
Speaker 1: Out of the Hall of Fame. At this point.
Speaker 4: Let's not say now I lied about it for a while.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah he did. He did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said that earlier. He lied about it and then finally came clean. I think you know, if there were a time that you were going to say, okay, we're going to forgive him, you would do it at that point after that interview, not wait until.
Speaker 4: All he dies.
Speaker 2: But no, I'm with you about the time. Yeah, we'll have to carry this over to the show tomorrow. Let me remind you one more time, DK Horse, that's the app that you want to download.
Speaker 1: If you want to bet on the.
Speaker 2: Preakness, you can bet five dollars or more with the promo code KSR, And if your horse finished the finishes of the race first, you're gonna get your share of one hundred and fifty eight thousand dollars in the prize pool. It's all at DK horse on the DK horse app. That's it for the pre Show. KSR is up next for Billy religis. I'm sharing the dude talk to you tomorrow. That's right, farmer dude, I'm gonna play some pumpkins. I'll talk to you tomorrow.