Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of the Odd Lots Podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Joe Wisenthal and I'm Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 2: Tracy, can I say something that I think is a little silly about US politics or US policymaking?
Speaker 3: What an intro? Joe? The answer is always so.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's plenty of things about our US system of government that you know could be improved upon in theory, but I'm aware of that for various rules that exist in DC, we often pass these laws that just like expire, and I think it has something to do with I don't know, reconciliation and the deficit and the filibuster and all these things where you pass a law and it seems fine, and then if you don't do anything, it just goes away in ten years. It actually seems very hard to pass a law that has any sort of permanence, especially if it changes to government spending or taxation. It seems very hard to make permanent, substantial changes to our fiscal policy.
Speaker 3: I have to say, when you've mentioned it's been ten years, that's kind of amazing. So you are specifically talking about the twenty seventeen Tax Cut and Jobs Act, aka the Trump Tax Cuts. Those went into effect in twenty eighteen, and many of the cuts are scheduled to expire at the end of twenty twenty five. So by twenty twenty six, if we don't have any change, if we don't go about, you know, doing it all over again, then we could see tax increases.
Speaker 2: Right like currently. If nothing happens, if we were to get sort of gridlock after November, or just nothing happens, there is this tax hike that is existing lass as starting in twenty twenty six. I believe some taxes are going to go up. I don't know exactly what they are, well learn what they are, but yeah, right now we are on course for taxis Now. Every politician I think on either side of the aisle would probably say, at least for some constituency, some income groups, we don't want this to happen. We don't want taxes to go for Americans earning less than four hundred thousand dollars. That's something Democrats say from time to time, things like that. But it doesn't matter if every side doesn't want it to happen. You still need some sort of compromised law to replace the existing law, and there's no guarantee of that because politics is politics, and so as of right now, Yes, so it is a something for people to recognize. And b I think it's also important to understand what is the existing tax code, what did we change? Why did we have this change under the Trump administration find Dacga.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the process of actually designing tax policy really interesting and I have a lot of questions, and a lot of it stems from my first ever encounter with US taxes. I was living in London at the time, so I had to file things like the foreign earned income exclusion and stuff like that, and I remember receiving this like four hundred page book from the IRS on how to do your taxes, and it would say, like for box seventy eight, a turn to page three hundred and twenty eight, and I would turn to the page and there would be nothing there of relevance. And I remember sitting on the floor of my living room in London and crying over this paperwork and this like admin that I had to do. So America's tax system seems incredibly complicated to me. I don't even know how you start to make changes to it. And I am very interested to learn.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm happy to say we literally have the perfect guest because we're going to be speaking with the architect of the Tax Cut and Jobs Act, former Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, Kevin Brady, the senior consultant now at a can Kevin Brady, Thank you so much for coming on Outlocks.
Speaker 4: Joe, Thanks for having me. This is exciting.
Speaker 2: We're really excited about this. Why don't we start at the you know, politicians come in, they say we're going to cut taxes. Right, We've heard it forever and Trump was no different in that respect. But there's a difference, I think maybe between saying we're going to cut taxes and the idea of comprehensive tax reform that effects both households, that affects corporations, et cetera. When you went you're considered to be the architect of the TCGA, when you went into this project of reforming the US tax code, which I believe was the first time the tax code was reformed in over thirty years. At bad point, these things do not come. The stars do not align often for this. What was your goal?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so our goal one? Again, Thanks for having me be. So the goal was pretty clear because we had a tax code that was was obsolete compared to the rest of the world on the way how businesses competed internationally. Our code was a relic from the Kennedy administration. If that part of the code were a person, it was eligible for AARP. And as result, other countries had passed us by their corporate rates were better. They were driving a modern tax car. You know, we had a whole old clunker. We're a big economy, but we couldn't keep up. So as a result of the highest corporate rate at the time in the world in the obsoste tax code, you know, we were falling behind. For a decade before twenty seventeen, growth was really slow in America one point five percent average GDP growth, way low. Paychecks were stagnant for the decade, and as you may recall, about every other month there was another US company picking up roots from the US and moving overseas or bought by a foreign company, even though we were the bigger factor there moving headquarters and employees overseas. So you know, we had to act ways and means. Committee Republicans actually worked eight years to be ready to do tax reform. And I've credit former Chairman Dave Camp from Michigan and Paul Ryan, who later became a speaker the work we did for all the time, ready for prepared for someone in the White House to lead on tax form, and that's what happened in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: So these type of tax changes, you know, going back to my earlier point about the complexity of the US tax system and maybe it's outdatedness as you put it, Does the ambition start at the policy level. Is it there are particular things in the code that we think are maybe stupid or irrelevant or old fashioned, and so we need to start focusing on those. Or does it start with a general desire to lower taxes or reform the system, and then you kind of work backwards to the individual policy level.
Speaker 4: So the answer is the big goals and then you work backwards. For example, we specifically wanted a tax code built for great growth, growth of jobs paychecks in the US economy. We wanted to redesign the international code so that it would leap frog America to among the most competitive economies, but we wanted to make sure we wanted to do it in a way where our US companies could compete and win anywhere in the world, including at home. When they did compete, win overseas, bring those dollars, make it easy for them to bring it back invest in the US. The old tax code said, no, don't do that. And we wanted to be to drive innovation because whatever country wins the innovation race really wins the future, I think economically. And we wanted to make America the most desirable place for that new plant, that new research, that new intellectual property. So those were the bigger goals, and then we wrote to those and one of the lessons we learned during the eight years as we laid out drafts of what we might do, is that we realized, especially in twenty seventeen, we had to go bold because we only get this only happens, as you said, Joe, once generation really and so you can't miss that opportunity. The other thing we learned is the boulder you go, the more people are willing to give up parts of the old tax code to drive a new, modern, faster, better performing tax vehicle going forward. So we took lessons we'd learned into the whole tax debate.
Speaker 2: I want to get in obviously to some of the philosophical questions and about the questions of what a pro growth tax system looks like. But before we do, what don't you just lay out the sort of bullet point versions of what the TCGA did and then what specifically is set to expire and would revert to in the next few years, because I know not some of it is actually permanent, like the corporate side is not going to change. But what do you just sort of give us the bullet points from twenty seventeen and what could reverse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it is different twenty twenty five than it was in twenty seventeen. So really the focus had to begin with growth, you know, because our economy was so slow, and competitiveness because we had fallen so far behind. So that's why focus was on dramatically reducing the corporate tax rate. Because to twenty one which really put us we were dead last. We moved into the middle of the pack. But the redesign of the international code made us very very competitive, and so twenty one percent puts us in the middle of the pack for our major foreign competitors at twenty one percent, and we could have gone lower in that regard. In fact President Trump wanted to go lower there, but what we thought that would perform very well, and it did. We lower taxes on individuals across the board. Our taxes were high, they had been growing since the Reagan tax cuts, and so our job was we believed if you give families, workers, and small businesses, you know, more control over their earnings one, you know, they get to live their dream not the government's stream, and omy is going to grow. And so we did some some big things. I think on the middle class tax cuts. We created the first ever small business tax deduction twenty percent for those what we call pass throughs. Those are the non corporations where the money gets paid by the individuals.
Speaker 2: You reduced the amount of state and local taxes that I can write off on my text.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Well, you're welcome. You're welcome. Happy to get out of New York as fast as I can. But yeah, can we talk about Solomon. Yeah, it's hard to ignore it. A lot of our listeners are very yeah, I know, so I should have come in under an assumed name. But you couldn't ignore Salt. It is the biggest single subsidy I think within individual tax code. It's worth a trillion, two trillion, five and we needed those dollars to pay for the small for the middle class tax cuts for the most part. But here's what we did. So we took a look at it. It wasn't a red blue thing at all. In fact, Texas is one of the bigger users of the salt deduction because of our properties, the proper each yeah, yeah, So what we looked at and we realized, you know, everyone's subsidizing everyone, you know, rural community cities, low and modest income, higher income, non itemizers, itemizers, and so we arrived at a simple premise, which is why doesn't everyone just pay their own state and local taxes? I mean, we choose where we work and we live. We have a choice in our elected officials. Why is anyone obligated to help us pay more importantly, why are we obligated to help pay others? Because half the salt deduction goes to households making a million dollars and more. So what we did was and then use that money to lower rates across the board. So take a deduction from some, give it to many more. At the end, though, you know, we compromise talking with the legislators and high tax states. You know, it was really important we preserve some of it. So we took the standard average standard deduction across America, which was five thousand, and we doubled it. But then we didn't stop there. So we took the child tax credit, which was was sort of limited about one hundred and twenty thousand. We took us up to four hundred thousand, provide more tax relief for people who were impacted by salt. Then we did away with the AMT Alternative minimum tax. Again that's what how people couldn't get like in New York, New Jersey couldn't even use the salt tax deduction even those in place. Then we changed the marginal tax rates all to make we want lower taxes in every state, not red states, not every state. And so we made big changes to make sure we saw those tax cuts. And I know most people look at it and say, look, we just need to restore that. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's some give on that, because we've got we've got in our party as well. You know, we've got New Yorkers and New Jerseys, California's Illinois, you know, Minnesota, Long Island Republic. Yeah, so look, that's fair. It's important to them, and so I think there's there's some prett good discus sessions. I think you might see some relief. But here's the warning. It's really expensive. Yeah, and every dollar comes out of those middle class tax cuts. So whatever you give there, you know, you got to figure out where to pick it up somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, plenty of people still feel salty about salt. Myself included full disclosure. Okay, this reminds me, though. One thing I always wanted to ask about these is did you have a particular tax model in mind when you started this process. Did you look at potentially other countries and say, they're doing this right or they're doing this wrong. Or is it the case that because of the uniqueness of the US tax system there are no international comparisons that you can really make.
Speaker 4: There are tons of international comparisons.
Speaker 3: Okay, good.
Speaker 4: We spent a lot of time both the way they tax businesses that compete around the world and the way they tax themselves, and obviously we're out of step, especially on the international side. No very few other countries taxed you at home and taxed your business. Odd they taxed you at home, but we were doing both, and it was a problem. A lot of countries have value added taxes, you know, that add more revenue beyond their income taxes. We're well aware of that. But I'm going to tell you what was driving this as a model, and you're going to laugh at first, but let me explain it to you. So and why we did it. So you heard us talk about getting ninety percent of Americans to be able to file on the back of a postcard, and you probably said that is a political gimmick, but in fact, that was driving our goal of simplifying the tax code dramatically, so getting rid of a lot of that complexity for some, lowering the rates for everybody, and creating more fairness and understanding of how we tax people. And our thinking was look for again, there's people who would never be able to do that, but for a lot of Americans, you know, there is something powerful about looking at thirteen lines and saying, this is how I'm taxed. In almost all the neighbors that I can see, this is how they're tax too. And it also makes it harder for Washington to raise taxes because you actually know, you know what I mean, how you are being taxed. So the postcard drove what we hoped would be simplicity, fairness, obviously stronger growth as well. And on the business side, you know, our first proposal, which didn't make it all the way through, was to basically eliminate huge chunks of the international code and replace it with a border adjustment tax, which is basically a consumption tax that asks a simple question, do you sell your product or service in America? If so, everyone's paying the same rate. It doesn't matter where it was made, doesn't matter where it's shipped from, doesn't matter who did it. Are you selling it here? If so, if you're US or you're from France, you're paying the same rate. And so we thought, well, in the the other big virtue of it is that for American companies, you took that tax off of products you're exporting and selling, you put it on those coming in. So now we're more competitive compared to the vat around the world. And the simplicity of it it was bold. I still think it's, you know, an incredibly positive approach on taxes, but we had a short runway to get all this done. You know, industries that that that import a lot, whether you're a Walmart or a refiner or an Apple or whatever. You know, they have real objections to it. We didn't have time to be able to sit through and work, and so at one point we had to jettison what was one of the bolder I think more were positive things. But that's the process, you know, Tracy, you're asking about. It's you do. No matter what your dreams are, you got to get it through Congress.
Speaker 3: So tell us more about that process. What are conversations actually like are you all in a room together, like yelling at each other? Are there, you know, phone calls at midnight, that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: So because we started so early, you know, it was just a continual series of meetings, listening sessions, discussions with the scorekeepers like Joint Committee on Taxation, Congressional Budget.
Speaker 3: I'm going to ask you about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to figure out you got to turn the Rubik's cube to figure out, Okay, if we do this and this, what do you get, Like what kind of growth and who pays the taxes and what's the cost of all that? And so we had a long time to run through countless meetings, briefings, bring an ex person, all that. But in twenty seventeen is we really started to get crunch time. All of that accelerated, and so we certainly in the House, we started with this premise and we went to our House members and said, look, we're going to tear the tax code down to its foundation and we're going to rebuild it. So go back home and listen to what people what's important in twenty seventeen, not the nineteen eighties, like what is important to you, and then we rebuilt it from that. And so lots lots of meetings, a lot of listening sessions late into the night. We had the Ways and Means Committee members working. We brought them back for holidays, you had them work when everyone was on recess. A lot of it was listening because to other members in briefing groups from DC and around the country. Even though we didn't get Democrats support, you know, I briefed our Ways and Means Democrats, our new Democrats, our problem solvers, the trade the unions sat down with them. We knew, I knew they weren't going to be able to support this. If I wanted to hear what was important to them to figure out what might be the biparson areas that we can design too, and it was all that was hugely helpful. But the process you're working with, the Senate, the White House, constant media presence, lots of groups attacking or supporting. It's sort of a hurricane, you know what I mean of input. As you're doing that.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask you a kind of political question. You can be as forthcoming as you would like to be on this question. But there's obviously a possibility that you know, Trump wins in November, and he says things in the media that I think probably people in DC like wonder, like how serious is he? So, you know, like and some things he says seem like quite ball.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He says he's talked on the campaign trail this time no taxes on tipped income, I think he said last night or recording the September twenty sixth, He's like, no, we're just not going to tax us manufacturers. He says some things that are more make economists very nervous, such as massively increasing tariffs would our attacks. And he says things that make people even more head scratched, such as, oh, maybe we could create a thirty five trillion dollar crypto client and pay off the deficit. So what I want to ask you is, from the perspective of a someone writing policy, how should people think about what he says publicly and translating this or taking it seriously? How seriously should we tell you?
Speaker 4: What do you tell us? How we should? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then how these things maybe get molded into something real.
Speaker 4: Having experienced working with the President both on healthcare, tax reform and in trade to some degree so that every day the press in the Capitol would ask me about the president's latest tweet, I always did, but I didn't pay attention to his tweets. I paid attention to his campaign promises because I've never seen someone in the White House so focused on this is what I said, we do? Have you done it? Because it matters to him? But the flip side of that was, you know, he was not wed to doing exactly that. So my advice always is take him seriously, but not literally, because whether you're working on taxes or trade, whatever, man, he's opened lots of changes. He's listening to sort of that team of rivals discussion. You can shape, and we did in tax from shape a lot of what were campaign promises into positive things, but not exactly.
Speaker 2: I just one follow up on this one thing that he does not if a future Trump presidency does not really need the help of Congress on would be terrorists. Yeah, and he's talking. He he to your point. He followed through with his terror promises from the twenty sixteen election, and in the twenty twenty four election he has much bigger, terarff promises. And I have to imagine that you know a lot of people, particularly in DC, who are like deeply uncomfortable about this, particularly corporate anyone who trades internationally, et cetera. What are you telling them about the risk of a very different international trading regime unto the next president.
Speaker 4: Yes. So I'm not a fan of tariffs. I think they're incredibly damaging. You punishes America more than whoever we're trying to punish, And yeah, it is. I don't advise any president to go that route unless there is some very specific target you need to hit. But what I advise them in using the experience of his first term is same thing. Take him he's going to use tariffs for a purpose, if not imposing them, sort of hammering people into coming to the table on issues. I think that's he uses that threat fairly effectively. It is disruptive. I did have an impact on economic growth. There's no quote, both the threat of withdrawing from NAFTA, for example, the major threats with the steel aluminum filed through on in China. There's no question it slowed growth and had an impact, and so would future terror. My advice is again, take them seriously. He likes Tarff's believes that levels the playing field, and he's held that belief since eighties, but that he also listens to the economic impact. You know, he's proud of his economy and he's open to arguments of how this hurts the very people he's trying to help.
Speaker 3: Since you mentioned economic growth, how do you judge the success of something like the tax cuts, because you know, I'm aware there's a controversy right now over dynamic analysis or modeling, and it does seem hard to disentangle the cuts from other factors. So I'm and it does feel like, you know, you can kind of say like, oh, well the tax cuts did this, but then you can argue, well, there are other things going on and that's why growth went up. So how do you kind of evaluate the actual impact.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as you know, there's lots of projections ahead of tax reform in the economy, there's lots of different data on it. We try we try to use the government data as much as possible, you know, and we supplement it with lots of other studies and different groups that those are all very helpful, but we tend to rely on so what do the numbers show us? And yes, there are always other factors. I think the relief on regulation played a pretty important part, I think in the economy overall, and you just have the economy in general. So we were always taking a look at how much did it grow jobs, how much money returned from overseas two and a half trillion, you know, we had innovations to do your intellectual property in America, we'll bring it back. Those revenues doubled, really good outcome there. Investment from businesses, big thing that drives, that drives, equipment that drives all this stuff on average went up twenty percent, really good numbers. Research did the exact same thing, and so watching the economic data, we were achieving much of what we had hoped for. The the one element. Twenty nineteen to me was the most fascinating year. We watched it closely. Because the code had been in place one year now we could sort of see how it was working. And we know generally how an individual, like a corporate rate cut or research and development, how it will perform. Generally, the question is how does it all interact, you know what I mean, like, how does that it's like a Formula one car and bring an upgrade? How does it affect the rest of the performance. And so that's what I was following twenty nineteen. Couple key things happened, I think besides very strong economic growth. One, real wages and like a head of inflation grew more in one year than in the eight years combined before it. In fact, those first three years after TCJA, real wages average nine percent. That's the best three years on record. So paychecks were growing. We checked the box that was working really well. Poverty, you know, twenty nineteen just plummeted in a good way, but it did the most, made the most progress among the people who'd sort of been left behind, people of color, those without a high school degree, disabled, young folks got new opportunities. That was that was what we were driving for. And then income inequality began to strength for the first time in fifty years. According to Larry Lindsay, fed Governor and in the White House Economic Team, another goal of ours and so yeah, we were every year tracking what progress we were making and what provisions might not be performing as well as you want.
Speaker 2: You mentioned income inequality. I'm curious your philosophy about the role of progressivity in the tax cuts. We obviously have a progressive income tax, and the more you make, the higher percentage of your marginal in a higher marginal tax goes up. A criticism that you get of tax cuts is like a lot of the tax cuts benefit the rich, but of course the rich pay a lot of taxes, so if you're relative to the poor, So if you're going to cut taxes, we all know like a net where those dollars are going to flow. But just talk to us about your philosophy of the role that the tax code can play in the TCGA or just generally and thinking about the importance or unimportance if that's your view of progressivity in the tax code.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, I don't think people realize how progressive our code is compared to other countries. If you just look at like what is the top rate, you might say, well, it's more in France or somewhere else. But if you look at what's the share of taxes that each income group pays, we are incredibly progressive. In the top one percent in America today shoulder about forty five percent of all the income tax burdens. That's unusually high for it. And the converse is true as well, Like the bottom half of income earners. What we would think is up to the middle class shoulder only about a little more than two percent of the whole income tax burden. So and it grew after the tax reform. It grew a quarter for the wealthy, they picked up a bigger burden. It's shrunk by a quarter for the modest and low income down to two point three percent. So we are people are always surprised how progressive we are compared to other countries.
Speaker 2: Real quickly, and before we forget to do this, can you give us the bullet point in summary of what happened. Okay, let's say twenty twenty election, twenty twenty four election happens. It's political gridlock. They can agree on nothing in DC, what reverts and what doesn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so twenty seventeen is all about growth. Competitiveness twenty twenty five is going to be about the individual tax cuts. Do they hang around? And so all the individual marginal rates revert back to pre twenty seventeen. Those are an average family for it's gonna be around two thousand dollars roughly. Things like the child tax credit is going to shrink back. The standard deduction, which we nearly doubled, hugely popular, and now ninety percent of Americans don't have to itemize their time. They sort of love that. That reverts as well. The small business tax cuts we created goes away. That's really damaging, I think in a big way. And then things like the estate tax, what we call the death tax family farms and businesses, goes back to very few exceptions in a much higher rate. Things like opportunity zones disappear. The new we create a new child or a tax credit for paid family and medical leave, so businesses that created those programs tailored to their workers could get some help doing it goes away as well. And in some business credits, really important research and development expensing, expensing of your equipment, software, all of that reverts to a very I think negative position there. So yeah, for trillion or more of tax heights that it'll slam the economy, and neither party I think has anything to win by letting these expire, which is where why you asked why something's expiring sometime. So I'm not going to just blame it on Senate budget rules, but I'm going to blame it on Centate Budger because that's what did it. But our thinking was we locked in all the growth competitives because so important on paychecks and jobs. We left the more biparson issues We believed Republican Democrats would want to keep, the middle class tax cuts, the small business tax cuts, the child tax credit, issues like that, where I think they'll be more common ground heading into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: I want to go back to the inequality discussion because I take the point about progressivism and the idea that they're wealthy in America are paying more taxes overall. But my impression is the more redistributionist countries that are out there, I guess they don't necessarily have really progressive taxes, but the difference is that the tax that they get they direct more towards the poor. So I guess my question is, could we reduce inequality through something other than taxation. Could we just spend in a different way in order to.
Speaker 4: Focused with yeah, exactly, you know, perhaps, but we have a pretty poor track record of that unfortunately, within our spending and the government or of that social safety net. You know, I think we're all really cognizant of you know, we often discourage work in connecting back to the workforce in a lot of those when you put all that net together on average, you know, in a state like Texas, or that family, whether it's single mom or with a couple children, you know, those benefits start to add up. Like in Texas, we're a little stingy on all that. It's still close to fifty thousand dollars a year. In a Pennsylvania it'll be sixty seven sixty some thousand. So the problem is is that you make it really hard for people to move off out of the social safety net. It's not in their interest to do it, or it doesn't feel that way for them. And so part of our thinking again on the tax code was let's reward work, you know what I mean, in a way that allows them and encourages them to move back into the workforce. That happened in TCJA certainly not to the level we will need for the long term. And COVID changed everything sort of on labor participation in just change the game that way.
Speaker 2: So one of the criticisms of the current I don't know current tax code is people talk about this phenomenon of by borrow die wealthy people accumulate assets rather than sell them. When they go up to enjoy the fruits of their increased wealth, they borrow against them, and that borrowing is tax free, and then they spend that and then assets tend to go up like stocks over time, and then they die and then their bequeath to their children, and the children get a step up in basis such that they don't actually pay capital gains on the original purchase of the real estate or the stock or whatever. And so one thing that was for about a week people were talking about it was like, well, maybe we should have some sort of tax on unrealized capital gains. Seems very unlikely to me for all kinds of reasons. But setting that aside, are there still issues out there that seem structurally wrong, such as step up and basis and some of these other ways that the wealthy can accumulate assets without having a big tax bill before realizing their benefit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I actually don't see that as an abuse in the sense that you know, we do that in our home equity loans. You know what I mean. We build up, We build up that value we borrow against for something that's important. The value hopefully keeps going up, and when we pass on, you know, we do get an exemption. And usually for us, for middle class yeah, you know, they don't get hammered with the state tax in any way. So I don't know what's wrong with borrowing against values you've invested in. And I'll tell you this too. Most of those investments come I think, because you know our tax code. We try to drive investments. So you know, when you're in a dollar, there's three things you can do with it. You can spend it, which a lot of us do. You can save, which is economically better, Or you can invest that's risky, no guarantee you're getting it, but is the most pro growth of everything you do with that dollar. And a lot of we're trying and to encourage people of every income level to invest more, say more and invest more, because usually it's good for them and super for the economy and in one of my one of my concerns always is when you go after unrealized gains or you know, tax hikes on the wealthy, you're actually taking those who are the super investors, you know what I mean. And our country are willing to risk everything to take us to Mars or you know, in some cutting edge technology that drives jobs and opportunity in such a big way. And so I'm always really cautious about just picking that group of villains saying, you know, we need more of your affair shares, how much your money you owe me. Yeah, I think economically and for the US, it's really the innovation and the investment we're We're our tax cod is pretty good at this driving that risk.
Speaker 3: So speaking of criticisms, we would be very remiss if we didn't ask you about one of the biggest ones, which is the impact of the tax cuts on the deficit. And I know there are all these different ways to measure this, but I think you know one fact that probably can't be debated is that under Trump there was like eight trillion dollars of debt approved versus under Biden, I think there was something like four trillion. And I'm curious how you link those two things together. So the cuts and the deficit. And I guess Joe don't come at me. But are Republicans MMT ers now like do deficits matter?
Speaker 4: They definitely do, so sort of reset some things. Look, I think Biden's debt was much. It's been averaging two trillion a year there, and certainly there was an impact from TCJ, but not nearly as much as people think. And here's why everyone is shocked when I tell them that we paid for most of the tax cuts up front. We didn't do a trillion and a half dollars of tax cuts. We did five and a half trillion dollars because we needed to be that bold to get back in the game and drive the drive the economy. We raised four trillion dollars through reforms that paid for growth and for lower rate and so on the day President Trump signed it, seventy two percent of those tax cuts were already paid for. On top of that, we've seen huge revenue growth. For example, corporations now pay more to the government at the lower twenty one percent rate than was projected at thirty five. I mean, growth really matters, drives a lot of revenues. So I think that one and a half a trillion. The Congressional Budget Office quickly revised it down to about one point one. We see more growth since. And unlike most tax cuts, you know, you can safely say for most tax cuts you can recover about thirty percent of it. Generally that's the rule of THEMB. In this case, we recovered twice that to begin with. It's gone much higher. It did create deficits, no question about it, but I think much smaller than most people ever dreamed we would do. Going forward, though, Congress is going to have to raise four trillion dollars just to keep the current tax cuts. On the Republican side, this is going to be a real issue. Debts and deficits matter. It's exploded in a big way, and so I think, especially if Republicans run the table, who knows how this hat works. In November, I think there's going to be, especially in the House, some real serious discussions about how much of these of the extensions are paid for. You know what, I mean, what do we do, what kind of other reforms do we do, either in spending or tax cut or the tax code itself to lower that that number. So no, I don't see us now moving to you know, monitor monetary theory. No matter what said, I think it's I think that's the biggest issue to worry most Republicans.
Speaker 2: I just have one last question and talked a little bit about this where some of the goals you had in the beginning with related to international revenues and how they were taxed. And there are still some certain sectors of the economy highly intellectual property oriented sectors like pharmaceuticals. Maybe like something also still you know, iPhones, etc. But pharmaceuticals, there's this sense of unfairness that Americans pay some of the highest prices in the world for drugs, and at the same time, many American drug companies seem to pay fairly small amount of taxes with a lot of the revenue booked overseas.
Speaker 4: Is there still more work to be done.
Speaker 2: Let's say you had another crack at it and somehow the stars aligned, Is there still more work to be done in your view on getting that right?
Speaker 4: I think let me just say this tax reform was not perfect. Yeah, we went through the political process. On the day it was signed, I had a thousand things I wanted to do differently, and my advice too that to Congress now is don't just extend these them. There's always room to do that, I think. You know, we went into the international with how do we become super competitive? But also how do you prevent companies from exporting their income to lower tax countries? How do you prevent them from importing their deductions to lower the rates. It's complicated, in probably more complicated than needed. We generally achieve that. Can you do more in that regard? I think we can. But the outcome we noticed was one it was much harder for companies to do it. Two multinationals now are investing so much more in America than overseas. That's good. Yeah, we always got to look at at how we improve the international side of this.
Speaker 3: Is there room for more multilateralism when it comes to global tax regimes? Could you perhaps coordinate so that it's not a race to the bottom.
Speaker 4: You know, I really disagree with that with the philosophy. Secretary Llone, who I respected a great deal. I got to work with her when I was head of the Joining Economic Committee. You know, feel strongly about that approach. It seemed to me, you know, the last three years America has really been trying to you know, sort of course our allies into making sure no one can have competitive rates visa vi each other. I think that's a mistake. I actually think the race ought to be to more grow better paychecks, more competitiveness that way, and so yeah, I think these international sort of cabals on tax are often mistake. But if you're going to do it, here's a lesson from the last couple of years. If you're going to do international tax treaties and agreements, you've got to take both parties along with you because you want the agreement to stick, right, you want to have the buy in from both parties. In the past that was the case, not so much the last the current administration, which is a shame because I think had both and even Democrats will say, look, there hasn't been a lot of conversation to do international Take the time to keep your folks with you. I don't care Republican or a Democrat in those conversations, because you're can end up with a better product and it'll stick.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: This is my last question, But it feels like, no matter what happens in November, we are all going to have to familiarize ourselves with the reconciliation process. Can you tell it? What should we know about that? What's the most important thing to remember?
Speaker 4: So Tracy had to go there reconciliation triggering. I yeah, let me get this. Let me show you the scars on my back. So you know. Reconciliations you use. It's a budget process. Both party use them, uses them usually for very important things. They're limited basically spending and tax issues, tax growth issues, lots of complex rules, but the bottom line is reconciliation budget if approved by the House and the Senate, it goes to President, allows that bill to pass with the simple majority in the Senate, but with a lot of rules to go with it. So reconciliation happens first. So Congress has to agree on what the what the parameters are for tax reform or healthcare in the Affordable Care Act or in the in the Build Back Better or the Inflation Reduction Act. So that's the first step. It's not easy to do it if either but but here's the tip tip off. If either party runs the table, reconciliation will show us what they're going to do in taxes or spending, you know what I mean? It will it will show you right up front what the guardrails are are around this. If there is divided government, which most people think there will be in one way or the other, you won't have that, and so you'll you'll sort of glean all that at the end of the process. So reconciliation is a runway that you land these major bills on. The House version will invariably look different than the Senate version because of these very difficult budget rules. The reason for years Republicans wrote tax reform to be revenue neutral was that we could get permanence there, which to me, the best tax code is a permanent at least as much as you can get with the political environment that will change these That's where you get the most growth, most certainty, the better outcomes, which is why it's been frustrating to in reconciliation. We didn't get all of this permanent for the long term. But it is what it is, and it's a really an arcane process, but a really vital one.
Speaker 2: Kevin Brady, thank you so much for coming on out Laws. There was a really fun and very informative.
Speaker 4: Well thanks for having me and thanks for a really good questions give complex issue. Tracy thanks, thank you.
Speaker 3: Sorry I stirred up the.
Speaker 5: We didn't start with that, Yeah, Tracy, I found that to be very interesting.
Speaker 2: I really liked hearing just like even from a process standpoint or a philosophy standpoint of what reform of the tax code is, what reform of the tax code is within the constraints of the US legislative process. I found that to be a very informative episode.
Speaker 3: It was really interesting. One thing I'll say is it very much reminded me of a conversation I had in a bar once with that's a good sign for any episode, well with a policymaker. And I won't say I won't say who, but you know, he was talking about how there's this tendency to think of there's an idea floating around that the US doesn't have a very strong social safety net, at least when compared to you know, some places in Europe or elsewhere. And he was making the point that there is a social safety net, it's just so much of it is embedded in the tax system rather than direct spending. Yeah, and I don't you know, I don't necessarily I'm a journalist, so I don't have opinions.
Speaker 4: And I no, I know.
Speaker 3: No, so I can't agree or disagree with the goals behind that, But I do think if you want to understand the US economy, it's important to realize like how big and complex and important the tax system actually is.
Speaker 2: No, and we could go a lot deeper, Brothers, even with like another episode, which is this is such a good point, which is how much we rely on the tax code, specifically refundable tax credits et cetera, tax credits for people who don't pay for tech ownership, like all of these things through the tax code where it's like, you know, some things like so for example, people talk about child tax credits, you could you could just instead of talking about child tax credits at all through the Social Security Administration, send out people send out checks. Instead, you file taxes and you get money. Back to former Chairman Brady's point at the end, it does sound like if there were ever some if even if we could ever agree on one ideal tax system would look like it would be a never ending process of sort of like asymptotically getting there over time. Probably, thank you, thank you, And we're probably theoretically many many more things that could be done. Can I say one other thing. You know, I sort of I enjoyed hearing this sort of like a certain I don't know old fashioned is the word, but I would say old fashioned view of like, you know what, competitiveness, cutting taxes, this is the path to growth, et cetera. It's certain, you know, certain old school vibes that I feel against a little bit. Like you don't hear as much these days in conversations about growth. You hear a lot about industrial policy.
Speaker 3: And I thought it was all about the vibes.
Speaker 2: No, it's just a specific thing of like, you know, let's cut the taxes and yeah, like it's nice to hear from a believer.
Speaker 3: All right, shall we leave it there.
Speaker 4: Let's leave it there.
Speaker 3: This has been another episode of the Authoughts podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me at Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 2: And I'm Joe Wisenthal. You can follow me at the Stalwart. Follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Carman Erman, Dashel Bennett at Dashbot, and Keil Brooks at Kelbrooks. Thank you to our producer Moses Ondam. From our odd Laws content go to Bloomberg dot com slash odd Lots, where we have transcripts, a blog, and a newsletter, and you can chat about all of these topics twenty four to seven in our discord discord dot gg, slash.
Speaker 3: Od lies and if you enjoy all blots, if you like it when we talk about the US tax system, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform. And remember, if you are a Bloomberg subscriber, you can listen to all of our episodes absolutely ad free. All you need to do is find the Bloomberg channel on Apple Podcasts and then follow the instructions there. Thanks for listening.