Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: AWS CEO Matt Garman joins us now on Bloomberg Television and Bloomberg Radio. Matt, it's great to have you back on the show. You know, this is the fastest growth for AWS in nearly five years. But to kind of capture a moment in time, could we start by talking about how much of that was driven by the frontier labs, the big ones Open AI and Thropic, or how much of it was something broader across the enterprise, something bigger in AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually across the board this growth that we're seeing right now, and much of that is some of the AI labs that are building their models on top of AWS. But actually a lot of that growth is spread across all of our startup and enterprise customers, where AI is really impacting almost every single industry. And so whether it's financial services companies or healthcare companies, or retail companies or media companies. Really the growth is coming across the board as companies of all different sizes in all different industries are looking to use AI to grow their business. And so we're seeing a lot of growth from the top frontier labs, but for AWS, We're not like some others. Maybe it's concentrated on just one or two large customers, but it's actually growth from a really broad set of customers, which is nice to see.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 2: When AWS says the AI business has a revenue run rate of twenty five billion dollars, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: What does the figuring compass?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that includes both training from very large companies like Anthropic and Open Ai and other large tech companies, as well as many startups. But it also and then a big chunk of that is really inferenced that that broad swath of companies are doing. And so as companies think about how they take models in something on Amazon Bedrock and run those models to get value out of their business, some of them are automating processes. Many of them are running agentic workloads that they build on AWS to further drive efficiencies in their business or deliver new customer experiences. We consider all of that work, whether it's agent growth, whether it's inference, and some of that is training new models, all of that encompasses the AI business for us.
Speaker 2: I think I've asked you this question at various points in time since you became AWS CEO. But is there a percentage split right now training versus inference that you can give me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do, and it actually keeps shifting, I would say more and more. It keeps shifting more towards inference. I think we still see large training clusters being used by a number of companies, but as these as these models get really popular and really powerful, more and more companies are integrating that inference into their workloads. So, you know, I don't know the exact percentage today, but it keeps shifting more and more towards inference, and we expect that to continue as the economics makes sense where you really want most of that cost and spend being where value is being created for end customers.
Speaker 2: Amazon's overall CAPEX number for this year is very big, two hundred and twenty billion dollars, So it's up twenty billion, and Andy Jesse explained that's mostly AI, but it also accounts for higher memory pricing. Right, capex higher because of the cost environment's higher. But from aws's perspective, what's the trajectory for next year?
Speaker 3: You expect that capex.
Speaker 2: Will be biggest still because I think one of the things that Amazon is quite clear about is that even at two hundred and twenty billion dollars, it might not be enough to meet current demand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the things that we're quite excited about is just the potential business for us is just massive, and we see this as a huge opportunity for us to really invest and help customers take advantage of the AI opportunity, and so we will keep investing. We think that there's a big opportunity for us and for customers, And as Andy kind of called out last week, we have really great insight into what that demand is going to be from customers, and so when we invest and we will keep investing in CAPEX next year as well, we have great insight into when that revenue is going to land. And so it's pretty well known for us, And as Andy mentioned, much of our capacity has already spoken through through the end of twenty seven and even through much of twenty eight, and so as we're investing, we're getting five year commitments from customers. We're getting these long term commitments, and so we're out there making investments to keep being able to grow the business and try to meet customer demand. But as you say, today, demands still significantly outstripped supply. And we're trying to build and invest to keep up with what customers are asking for.
Speaker 2: And so we expect the CAPEX number will be bigger next year than it is this year.
Speaker 1: I expect us to keep investing as we see opportunities, and some of that we'll see how the market continues to grow. But right now we're excited about our investments and we'll continue to invest.
Speaker 2: The chip business has also got a lot of momentum. You know, Trainium for some time has been a big part of the strategy, and we've discussed that. I've been able to go to Austin spend a lot of time in Anapurna Labs to look at the server design. Let's start by asking what when you say the chip business as a revenue run rate twenty five billion dollars, what does that mean? That is the business of selling the chips to third parties or renting out capacity based on the chips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, renting out capacity based on those chips. So today we run all of our own chips inside of the AWS cloud, and that includes both Trainingum chips as well as Graviton chips or which our general purpose processors. Graviton is incredibly popular We've been building Graviton for many years now, and in fact, almost all of our large customers use Graviton as some part of their deployment, and it's a key part of how help customers deliver extra value by lowering their costs. Trainium is wildly popular, and as we've mentioned a couple of times now, we're largely sold out through the end of next year for Trainium capacity and it's really really popular. We're starting to see both large customers as well as startups really love the benefits of running on Trainium and having that choice in a cloud where you can run on purpose built processors like Trainium that give you really great AI performance, together with in Nvidia chips for when you need some of that processing for GPUs as well, gives customers the right mix that they're oftentimes looking for, and so we find that combination to be quite powerful and our Trainium three chips are really really popular with customers.
Speaker 3: Right now, we're live.
Speaker 2: On Bloomberg Television and Bloomberg Radio. This is Bloomberg Tech. In conversation with Matt garm and the COO of AWS explain the difference in economics between capacity based on Trainium and capacity based on Blackwell, for example, what is the selling point of going with Amazon Silicon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we think that.
Speaker 1: Look, we think customers want choice, and so we offer great offerings for both products. Some customers really like to build on in Nvidia GPUs and those are fantastic, and we're one of Nvidia's absolute largest customers in the world. We've been offering in Vidia GPUs in the cloud for over a decade now, and AWS is the most scalable and secure and stable place to run in Vidia servers anywhere, and so we're very excited about that business. But when you add trainingum, we're able to lower the costs for many workloads, and so customers like to have that opportunity where they can take these really massively scaled AI workloads or inference art workloads where we can tune them because we kind of control that whole stack, control the training chips, the data centers, and the inference stack, and can really tune that whole stack. And that helps customers lower their costs and improve performance. And we're really starting to see that flywheel go where model providers of all types and customers love that they get that value and great performance. And we think that that's a real flywheel that we can keep turning and are quite excited about continuing to grow that business.
Speaker 3: Could you make it tangible for me? What is the cost?
Speaker 1: Say, it's workload by workloads, so there's not like a specific cost savings, but for workloads where we see this optimization happen, customers can oftentimes save twenty thirty percent off of their inference costs when they run that on trainium interesting.
Speaker 2: Would you consider selling the chips outright as opposed to renting capacity based on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've mentioned that we might consider that in the future. Right now, we have so much demand inside of the AWS cloud that we really love that business and so that's the place we're focusing right now. But it's an interesting opportunity and it's something that we would definitely consider in the future.
Speaker 2: The other big development was AWS signing the Open Weights letter. You yourself, you know, communicate up that. Why was it important to you, Matt to sign that and participate in that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think that Again, a lot of this boils down to customers wanting choice, and the big frontier labs have awesome models today, whether it's open AI running on bedrock, whether it's anthropy running on bed Rock. Customers really love using those models, but they also like being able to customize models, and so having a broad ecosystem of open weights models, I think is incredibly important for innovation. It's important for our customers, and so you think about things like the Neematron models from Nvideo, or you think about Kimmi three or some of the Chinese open weights models. Those really help customers be able to customize to their own data and really be able to innovate. And so we think that it's important to not overlegislate there and give that flexibility for customers to use whichever models they find to be the best fit. And that's actually why we really focus on having all of those available inside of Bedrock, so the customers can choose which ones they want to use.
Speaker 2: Not to over legislate. I mean, I had the conversation with Jensen Wong the day the letter was posted about why then, what was the rationale? It does seem like the concern is that the US government overly regulates open models. Was that sort of a motivation for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the concern, and I think you just want to make sure that we kind of have an even playing field, and it doesn't mean that there's none. By the way, I think there should probably be the same level of oversight of both frontier models as well as open weights models, and I think we should have a consistent framework, but kind of making sure that folks realize how important that is to what customers in our industry is out there building on and that those open weights are a key building block of that, and we want to make sure that, however legislation lands, it lands evenly across all of those.
Speaker 2: Matt a question from our Bloomback Tech audience for you is aws's attitude towards Kimmi K three. The open weight was released July twenty seventh. You know, given the platform's AWS offers, what is the plan there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great model. The team there has done a really nice job and we see really great performance there and we'll continue to support in Bedrock offering the Kimmi models. I think the interesting thing is also as you see many of these open weight companies, they're starting to think about how they make money in these models as well, and so they're starting to introduce licensing around some of these open weights models as when customers want to run them in a cloud environment, and so I anticipate that there's going to be a blending of some of these models too, where these companies won't continue to spend lots of money and then just offer their IP up to the world. They're going to be licensing models. They're going to have ways of making money on those as well. And you're starting to see that with some of the open weights models actually having some licensing around them. And so we'll keep supporting these in bedrock and working with those companies in order to offer these in the best possible way.
Speaker 2: That's why I'd like to end the conversation the business case and economic opportunity for open models from aws's perspective. So if the model makers themselves would like to make money, you know, how does AWS see that going in your favor to make money from wide use of open models?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean we basically that is exactly what AWS. It's a great platform for company needs to come and offer their IP and their capabilities to the world. And so everybody, whether they're startups, whether they're governments, whether they're large enterprises, everybody can build on top of AWS. And if they have choice and they have access to these different models. It allows companies to be able to come and monetize them and sell when they have value to customers, to be able to offer value when they think that they can go at lower prices or better performance. And so having that open platform allows everybody to have that competitive chance. And AWS is a fantastic partner for all these model providers to get access to the broad set of customers. And so it's a great ecosystem where model providers benefit and customers benefit by having all of these in the same place.
Speaker 2: Matt Gorman, COOFAWS Amazon Web Services back on blom bug Tech.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.