Speaker 1: Hi there.
Speaker 2: This is Steve Fishman, creator of The Burden and most recently Empire on Blood the Director's Cut. Today, we're featuring an episode from another podcast. This one's called The Confessions of Anthony ray Mundy. It's hosted by Mark Smirling, our friend and an Emmy Award winning filmmaker who you might recognize as one of the creators of The Jinks and the podcasts Crooked City and Crimetown. This time, Mark investigates the story of Anthony ray Mundy. He's a former mafia enforcer who claims that Pope John Paul the First, who died just thirty three days after being elected in nineteen seventy eight, didn't die of natural causes, even though the Vatican said he did. Anthony says the Pope was assassinated by the mob and that he witnessed it. I've listened to the Confessions of Anthony Ramundy, and I'm sure you're going to love it just like I. Here's the first episode, Genesis.
Speaker 3: Where is the closest Catholic church to you right now? I bet you could get there in less than twenty minutes, whether at home or at work, in your car or out for a walk, whether in a big city or small town, any place in the world, either hemisphere, it doesn't matter there's a Catholic church nearby. There are almost a billion and a half Catholics in the world, a population equal to China. Administering to all those Catholics are more than four hundred thousand priests who report to more than five thousand bishops, who report to around six hundred and fifty archbishops and cardinals. And they all report to one man, the Pope. He oversees a vast empire of wealth. His church is one of the largest landowners in the world. The pope has the power to influence world leaders. Popes have changed the course of history. Anyway. I've been thinking about all of this way too much lately. I have a stack of books on the subject next to my bed. It's been keeping me up at night. And it's all because of this guy.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 5: I wish you guys could have seen this neighborhood years ago. If you guys would have seen this neighborhood years ago, usually I loved it.
Speaker 3: Believe me, this is Anthony.
Speaker 1: We're Monday, okay.
Speaker 3: Anthony ram Mundy. Anthony has a story to tell about a pope in the Catholic Church. And we'll get to that. But today Anthony has invited my producer Zach and I on a tour of his old neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York. He wants to show us something.
Speaker 5: I always just want to come in to call with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to go. Yeah, when of you guys are ready, whatever you want to do.
Speaker 3: Anthony's a big guy, approaching seven years old, with slick backed, salt and pepper hair, and he dresses like a gangster because Anthony was a gangster. He says, he used to be a made member of the Italian mafia in Brooklyn. Today, Anthony's sporting a shiny black track suit, a gold bracelet, and dark sunglasses. Think of Big Pussy from the Sopranos.
Speaker 1: All right, is it ready?
Speaker 5: Yep, We're ready.
Speaker 1: We hop in.
Speaker 3: Anthony's muscle car, a Dodge Challenger, all black.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: When Anthony grew up here in the nineteen fifties, this was a working class neighborhood. He calls it South Brooklyn. By the time I moved here in the early nineties, people had started calling it Park Slope.
Speaker 1: We slip right down there.
Speaker 5: Call you in the carriage house. Yeah, oh wow, right across you were really in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And the neighborhood has changed a lot over the years. These days your kid will need to be on a wait list to get into daycare. And everywhere you look there seems to be an artisanal coffee shop where you can buy a six dollars cup of coffee.
Speaker 5: I was talking with somebody about it, say, Anthony's called progress. Has everybody killed the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: But one place hasn't changed, The local Catholic church, like the one I got married in. I got married, but the church was the one down on sixth Avenue, big, big stone church, beautiful Catholic.
Speaker 1: It might have been Santaugustine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it might have been Sustins. And it turns out that Saint Augustine's Church is where Anthony is taking us right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's Sant Augustine's Church. That's the Stone church where.
Speaker 2: I got married.
Speaker 1: So weird.
Speaker 5: What a small worlds I did my communion, dad, I did my confirmation there.
Speaker 3: Also, Anthony pulls into a parking spot.
Speaker 5: Now Saint Augustine School is connected right onto it.
Speaker 1: I show you.
Speaker 3: He struggles out of his car. He's had some health issues lately, so he walks slowly with the help of a cane. He leads us towards the building behind the church, Saint Augustine School.
Speaker 5: See that right there, you see there's the open window over there, and then right next to you see the open windows.
Speaker 3: Anthony has brought us to Saint Augustine's to tell us a story about something that happened here. Not a crime story about a mob hit or a famous heist, a more personal story from when he was just seven years old.
Speaker 1: That's where our class was at.
Speaker 5: I was at the last window over here, one two three, right up there.
Speaker 3: Nine days before Christmas in nineteen sixty, Anthony was sitting in his second grade classroom.
Speaker 5: There was a big blackboard in front, and then there was all the all the seats with the benches.
Speaker 1: If you were bad, you had to sit near the window.
Speaker 3: And that day Anthony was sitting by the window.
Speaker 5: I remember it was in the morning. Missus Piccarelly, she's writing something on the blackboard and we heard this explosion. Me. I want to see what's on there. I want to see what's there. It sounded like a rocket kept coming and getting louder and louder.
Speaker 3: And that's when Anthony says he saw something unbelievable, a passenger jet flying by his classroom window so close. He says he saw the passengers inside.
Speaker 5: You heard people screaming on the plane. You can actually hear people screaming. Oh yeah, you can hear him screaming. And it hit the window and I got the glass came in my face, that's how close it was.
Speaker 1: That's when the building shook. The nuns caiming said, eybody's gotta leave the build.
Speaker 5: We have to leave the building. There was fire engines all over the place. Alarms were going off. You couldn't see the sun. You couldn't see the light of from all the smoke. The sky was totally black.
Speaker 6: In nineteen sixty, only a few days before Christmas, two commercial airliners collide in the sky above New York City. One plane carrying eighty four passengers falls on the park Slope section of Brooklyns. Many thought that nearby Saint Augustine's School, where seventeen hundred children were attending classes, had been bombed.
Speaker 5: The jet fuel was coming down the block this way, and you could see the snow actually melt that was on fire.
Speaker 1: When it came down.
Speaker 5: It took out the pillar of fire church. That took part of their move off. There was the laundromat, the candy store, the funeral parlor, and there was fourteen Brownstones that went out. I'll tell you there was a guy I'll show you the spot who was selling Christmas trees when the plane hit. They never found his body. The ambulance that took me to the hospital, it was parked over there, the ambulance. They looked at me and they seen all the glass in my and then I see they put another kid in the ambulance with me. This kid was burnt so bad you did not know if he was black or white. That's how bad he was burnt. And his kid was still alive. He actually fell out of the plane between six and seventh Avenue. He died the next day.
Speaker 3: And this is when Anthony takes a beat and his story takes an unexpected turn.
Speaker 5: Now, when they put me into the ambulance as I'm going down, and I think you could think I'm crazy.
Speaker 1: People think I'm crazy when they hear this. Whoever, I kept.
Speaker 5: Telling them that I've seen somebody standing on the plane, just to.
Speaker 3: Be clear Anthony's saying that he saw a man riding on top of a crashing plane.
Speaker 5: First time I seen him on the plane standing on the plane, cause I was looking at the window. The second time I seen him was when they were bringing me in the ambulance. He was walking down the block and I kept telling him, Dabby is he is? He said, who is the guy on the plane? They all thought I was the guy on the plane. He just went kept on going down the block and they faded away.
Speaker 3: Anthony believes that the man he saw standing on that plane and then walking down the street that day wasn't a man at all.
Speaker 5: That was death on the plane. I don't care what anybody tells me. Where do you want to call him Debt? Where do you want to call him? The angel of Debt? And the Jewish religion they call him the Macho moves they call him.
Speaker 1: He wasn't a skeleton.
Speaker 5: His skin was pulled so tight on his face that you could see, like you know, like the bone, the structure, the bones and everything. My mother and father they had sent me to psychiatrists Jesus for what three years? My father took me to psychiatrists in Manhattan Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn. They all said the same thing. It's one or two things happened. Either I had from the shock of the plane that I put this in my head what I supposedly seen, or they said he really seen it. That's the only two edges they could give. Nobody could give another answer. I'm telling I know what I saw.
Speaker 3: As I've gotten to know Anthony, he's told me a lot of stories like this. One story's rooted in truth, there was a plane crash in park Slope back then, but his stories often grow to biblical proportions. Death appears to seven year old Anthony like one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, only instead of the pale horse Death rides in the Bible, Anthony's version of Death rides a crashing airplane.
Speaker 5: I know he's the one that's gonna come for me one of the times when at nighttime comes, he's gonna come and get me. It ain't gonna be my mother or my father. No, it's gonna be him. I'm telling you, it's gonna be him. When I go that much, I don't know.
Speaker 3: And Anthony tells another unbelievable story, one that he thinks will come back to haunt him on Judgment Day. It's the story that's been keeping me up at night about corruption and murder at the highest level of one of the world's Oh, this is the most powerful institutions, the Vatican.
Speaker 5: You know what's going to happen to me when I die. I'm going to go to heaven Gods. I'm gonna say, Noah, fuck you, you killed one of my popes. You're talking about killing a fucking pope.
Speaker 3: I'm Mark Smirling And these are the confessions of Anthony Ramundi just.
Speaker 5: After Fast seven.
Speaker 6: And is Lorian macmillan with the summary.
Speaker 7: Of the news, John Poll thet is dead.
Speaker 3: The public speculation that this death was not natural grow by the minute. Men and women were heard shouting as they passed the body.
Speaker 5: Who has done this to you?
Speaker 4: Who has murdered you?
Speaker 1: When is a central bank not a central bank? When is a.
Speaker 2: Private bank public DNA, public bank, private, sound, mistief, arrious and full of secrets?
Speaker 1: Well that's the Vatican Bank.
Speaker 5: The Vatican Bank over the last hundred years or so is not being without scandal.
Speaker 3: You know, certain dirty dealings, certainly money laundering.
Speaker 8: If the mafia wished to bring some of their clean money into Italy.
Speaker 4: They used Vatican bank channels.
Speaker 7: Luchani was contemplating cleaning up the Vatican Bank.
Speaker 4: Well, obviously he passed away before he was able to do it.
Speaker 1: He only lasted thirty three days.
Speaker 5: He may have seen the movie god Father three. Yeah, it's sort of loosely based on what happened during that time.
Speaker 1: You don't mess with the Mafia.
Speaker 3: Chapter one Genesis. Let me tell you how I first heard about Anthony Ramundi. A few weeks before that day in Brooklyn, I got an email from a guy at NBC Universal named Josh. He worked some podcasts there. It said, Hi, Mark, we're green light fascinating series involving the Mafia and Vatican, a deathbed confession from a mafia enforcer, and an alleged papal assassination. It's the kind of story that I think is right up your alley and would love to discuss. I gave Josh a call, and that's when I learned that Anthony had published a book about his life as a made member of a New York mafia family. It's called When the Bullet Hits the Bone subtitle The Incredible and possibly True Stories of the Last mafia enforcer. In it, Anthony puts himself in the center of mafia folklore. He says he's related to Mafia Royalty, a Sicilian mobster named Lucky Luciano, who many people believe founded American organized crime, and Anthony says as a kid, he was close to Lucky's partner, a guy named Meyer Lansky. Lansky was the model for the character Hymen Roth in The Godfather Too, And toward the end of his book, Anthony tells a story about the murder of a pope. I'll be honest, it's a really fun read. Then I check out Anthony online. I find articles in tabloids from around the world, The New York Post, The Daily Mail, the New Zealand Herald with headlines like meet the mobster who says he helped whack a pope. After he published his book, Anthony went on kind of a publicity tour. Only instead of appearing on the morning talk shows, Anthony did interviews on a whole bunch of mafia fan YouTube channels. I never knew existed. Your uncle was no ordinary, I mean he's one of the most famous.
Speaker 1: Oh, uncle Lucky.
Speaker 3: Some of these videos got millions of views.
Speaker 5: Uncle Lucky.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is Lucky Luciano for those of you who haven't figured it out, and he's one of the most famous gangsters.
Speaker 5: Uncle Lucky was my grandmother's my father's mother, that was her half brother.
Speaker 3: In all of these interviews, Anthony sports his black track suit, his gold chains, dark sunglasses, and he carries a huge unlit cigar.
Speaker 2: You said, uh, Lansky taught me so many ways of shaking down a guy, but he also taught me a lot of ways to actually kill a guy because Mile Lansky was deadly.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, definitely, definitely. I had told me a lot of things.
Speaker 3: And these interviewers all ended up asking Anthony the same thing.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's crazy with the hold the Pope stuff. I mean basically what you're saying is the mob killed the Pope.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I decided to call my producer Zach and make a date for us to meet Anthony Ramundi for the first time. Feel the guy out. See what's what.
Speaker 1: It's in the corner of your mouth there? Yes, Oh, I wanted to speak that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a sunny afternoon when Zach and I meet Anthony in a conference room in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
Speaker 5: How you've been feeling some days ago, some days bad.
Speaker 1: I got done with my chemo.
Speaker 3: Anthony sporting his usual attires and the cigar.
Speaker 5: It's crazy. Ever since I got the COVID, I haven't been right. I got I was in the hospital for it. I don't remember my first six days. They didn't think I was gonna make it. Meanwhile, I had to get two transfusions because my blood levels keep dropping. I wound up getting an infection. Then they put the pacemaker in. But it's like my father says. Well, my father used to say, no matter what you're doing this world, you're gonna pay a price. After he died, I realized what he was talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is he talking about?
Speaker 5: It don't make a difference if he turns around upstairs and says, yeah, you did this good, but I don't like what you did here. Well, you're gonna have a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: After Anthony talks about his latest health problems, I asked him to start at the beginning when he was growing up in Brooklyn.
Speaker 5: Now, my grandfather had the house on Balton Street between Third and Fourth Avenue. It was eight family, but his only family living in dead there was like me, my mother and my father, my grandfather, my grandmother, my aunt Nanny and her husband May and Julian husband, uncle.
Speaker 1: Frank and his wife.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, everything goes back to the old country.
Speaker 3: By old country, Anthony means Sicily.
Speaker 1: Now we had an uncle Ralph guy though Uncle Ralph was a member of the Black Hand.
Speaker 3: And by black Hand, Anthony is talking about the Sicilian mafia.
Speaker 5: My grandfather, Frank Castle was, my grandfather Antonio was. They were all schooled, these guys, and I'm telling you, seriously, old school. Whatever they say they've done, they said, who said they're killers?
Speaker 1: And they killed this guy and that guy. To me, it was my family. This is all I knew.
Speaker 3: As Anthony goes on, I start to wonder if I'm really looking at an old mobster or if this is some kind of elaborate performance and I'm his captive audience.
Speaker 8: But they put me with my cousin Mac because I was getting into a lot of trouble. Anthony drops the name. I recognized Mac as in you Macintosh, a notorious mob enforcer.
Speaker 5: And he brought me down to the diplomat and Joe Colombo came in one day, and Tom de Bella was there because that was the Colombo family.
Speaker 1: Scappy, everybody's there, so first time.
Speaker 3: It quickly becomes clear that Anthony remembers every mobster he ever met.
Speaker 1: I saw Joe Shawana Mayo. They called him.
Speaker 3: Yogi and their nicknames.
Speaker 1: They called him Top because he was top. Sat what he done. This guy they called him the garage.
Speaker 5: They called him Catfish, Frankie, I forgot his last name, but they call him Frankie blue Eyes.
Speaker 1: In the Witness Protection program.
Speaker 3: He remembers every spot in Brooklyn for all his stories took place.
Speaker 5: The Stabbor Club was on thirty Avenue between eighty Fish and we went to Honey's garage. Honey had a place on Cattle Street between thirty and seven. It was the Desiree after Owl Club. Cousin Max says he was commanded, says seventh Street and.
Speaker 3: Street and Anthony got into a ton of trouble.
Speaker 1: I got invested, My uncle, Frank got invested in. His girlfriend got arrested, My uncle got represented Miami. He opens up his jack and I see he grabs the gun. I just picked him in and I just entered the hole gun.
Speaker 5: Okay on the school, they plug the headline on the mother's cast and the guy with an adult maybe crazy.
Speaker 1: If I ain't freaking stupid.
Speaker 5: You're losing me.
Speaker 1: So so this guy.
Speaker 3: These stories fly by and I have a lot of questions, but before I can say anything, Anthony has moved on to the next chapter.
Speaker 5: So I'm at the house and my father says, she had a call. That's amove. It goes from Italy.
Speaker 3: It's the story we came here for folks.
Speaker 1: Calling me from Italy. Her cousin Luigi. He's in the Vatican.
Speaker 3: Back in the conference room in Brooklyn, Anthony Ramundi describes how we first got involved in crimes with a Vatican. His story starts in nineteen seventy five with a call from another family member, a Catholic cardinal also named Ramundi. Luigi Ramundi tell me about Luigi's actually.
Speaker 5: Actually yeah, Luigi Vermundi. Yes, so he is in a vacant he was. He was one of the guys that was becoming a what do you call it?
Speaker 1: The cardinals.
Speaker 3: He lived in the Vatican, and Anthony says the Cardinal Ramondi had called him with an offer he couldn't refuse.
Speaker 5: They got the forger from de' mafia from one of the mafia guys. They got the stocks the at and t Ibma.
Speaker 3: According to Anthony, Luigi and some of his friends in the Vatican were running a counterfeiting scam.
Speaker 5: He goes, if you got somebody in the stock market, I can send you a ton of stocks.
Speaker 1: You keep your end, you give us our ends.
Speaker 3: And they needed help selling these forged stocks in the United States.
Speaker 1: He says, yeah, we'll make a ton of money.
Speaker 5: Because I was the guy that they were bringing up in the family to be the gangster, you understand, and they liked me. What the fact is, they loved my grandfather Antonio. Now he sends me a badge, one hundred thousand dollars, certificates and stocks.
Speaker 1: Every one of those a forged met.
Speaker 3: With the help of some of his mafia connected friends, Anthony says, he gave the forged stocks to shady brokers who then sold them to unwitting investors.
Speaker 5: They were bringing them a ton of money, and what we're doing was sending the money overseas to Italy.
Speaker 3: Now and Anthony says that his cousin told him that the counterfeiting scam went right to the top of the Vatican.
Speaker 5: So now I find out that Paul Paul the Six knew about this.
Speaker 3: They're working together and everybody was making a lot of money until Anthony got some news about one of his connected friends.
Speaker 1: And guess what he done. He fucking rated us all out.
Speaker 5: Scam was over at that point, Oh yeah, scam was over.
Speaker 3: According to Anthony, his partners in the Vatican shut the scam down, and the cops never showed up at his door. Then just three years later.
Speaker 5: What happens is Pope pulled the six diys, Pope John Pulled the First gets in. Now he becomes the Pope. They go through the whole process of boom, okay, here's the Pope.
Speaker 3: Anthony says that Pope John Paul the First was a very different kind of pope, an honest one.
Speaker 9: Pope John Pulled the First said, and neither his words everybody and anybody who was involved in the stock fraud and the scam, I am defrocking them and excommunicating them from the Church, which meant now they're falling under the Italian law.
Speaker 3: And that's when Anthony says, his grandfather got another call from the Vatican.
Speaker 5: My grandfather, he goes, we got to give it the Pope.
Speaker 1: We got to kill him.
Speaker 5: What do you fucking crate killed the pop Are you out of your fucking mind? Excuse my language, But he said, let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: He goes.
Speaker 5: For as long as we've had popes, we've been killing pope's whoiut history. If we didn't like him, we kill him and we put our own guy in there. I said, Jesus Christ, they're gonna kill a pope. I said, i'm a said, good luck with it. My grandfather goes, no, he goes, you gotta go with him.
Speaker 1: I gotta go with him. I'm not killing no fucking Paul Papa. I mean, I don't care.
Speaker 5: On the streets, on the street, your loan, shock and shadlock, and you got a problem with the guy.
Speaker 1: The guy gets whacked. Who gives a shit?
Speaker 5: You know we're talking about the pope. This is the guy who couldn't like supposedly directly talks to God. But my grandfather turned around and says, you got my grandson, I love you.
Speaker 1: You gotta go. Just when he said it like that, I knew I had to go.
Speaker 3: A few days later, Anthony says, the mastermind of the entire conspiracy showed up at his door is.
Speaker 5: Paul Jacob Marsinkus, who is the head of the Vatican Bank. I said, okay, I said, what am I going there for? Because show us how to.
Speaker 1: Take him out in a nice way.
Speaker 3: Anthony says that reluctantly he flew with Marcinkus to Rome to come up with a plan to take out the new pope in a nice way.
Speaker 5: These guys are nothing like New York guys. Let me tell you, he says, Now, how do we you know, how do we put him at rest? We want you to tell us how we can do it without pain and without him suffering. And you're going to love this, and you are going to be our uh what is that word to use our witness before God? I'm going to be your witness before God? What the fuck you talk about? When we die, God is going to say you killed one of my popes. He never suffered, He went peacefully. And then we can stay in they called we'll call the paradise, we'll call it every but we can.
Speaker 1: Stay with God.
Speaker 5: And I'm saying to myself, how did I get into this mess? I said, what's his whole schedule? He goes here, he goes dare God at nighttime. He always liked tea, but he liked it extra sweet, and it's okay. I says, here's what we can do. I says, can you get liquid value? He says, yeah, all right, bring him his tea and you have liquid valume in it.
Speaker 1: But the tea's got to be really sweet. He goes, he likes it really.
Speaker 5: Sweet because you know, liquid volume doesn't have a taste, but sometimes it's a little hint that this doesn't taste right.
Speaker 3: According to Anton, the volume would put the Pope in a deep sleep so he wouldn't feel what was coming.
Speaker 5: Next, I says, can you get cyanide? Potassium cyanide. If you have a high level of potassium in your body, you're gone.
Speaker 1: You're dead.
Speaker 3: That night, Anthony says, the Pope went to bed as he usually did, after he had his tea.
Speaker 5: The Pope is out like a light. The captain of the Swiss guards comes over. They shake hands, and I can see the thing bottle.
Speaker 3: And now Anthony says that it was Paul Jacob Marcinkus's job to get the deadly deed done.
Speaker 5: He gets the bottle, he opens it up, fills up the eye dropper, puts it like this in between it and just squeeze it once, put the back on, walks out and closed the door. Now we're standing there, all right, he says, the guy's got to come back and check on him, to popish it all. A sudden, doctors, this one, that one comes over. They examine him. They're doing a like CPR on his chest. They're doing this to everything. Pope is dead. Yeah, I had to stay. I had to stay co I had to.
Speaker 1: See this to be a witness before God for them. Now he's dead.
Speaker 3: At this point, I look over at Zach and notice the Florida ceiling window beyond him. It's dark outside. I glance at my phone and see a screen filled with miscalls and text messages, and I realized we've been talking for five hours. But Anthony just keeps going. It's starting to feel like he's auditioning for a role he's always wanted.
Speaker 1: I have to call it for yes.
Speaker 3: As we leave, we share the elevator to the lobby.
Speaker 1: You have to lift this up and push it down before we.
Speaker 3: Reach the ground floor. Anthony takes out an old switchblade and hands it to me.
Speaker 5: It's a switchblade that belongs to my uncle, Lucky.
Speaker 3: As in Lucky Luciano, one of the most famous wise guys of all time.
Speaker 5: That Ti, it's not his names in Marenzano's with the tip.
Speaker 3: Of the blade is broken off. He says it's from when Lucky stabbed a guy and it broke off in his ribs. I snapped the knife closed and hand it back to him. As we exit the elevator and walk out of the building, Zack and I stand in the dark watching Anthony limp away down the sidewalk toward a waiting black car. The next day, I start looking for someone who can vouch for Anthony. Anthony says he was a member of the Columbo crime family. There aren't many of those guys left, but I managed to find one guy high up in the Columbos and I write him a letter. It wasn't too hard to find him. He's serving a life sentence in federal prison. I write, I'm researching the connection between organized crime and the Vatican. My interest begins with a possible associate of yours, Anthony Ramundi, who wrote a book in which he claims that he was a member of the Columbo crime family and that he helped murder a Pope. I was sure this guy would know you. Macintosh, the Columbo enforcer Anthony says, was his cousin. So I mentioned mac in the letter. Then I make my pitch. You may be the only guy around who could tell me who Anthony really is or isn't. So I'm asking for your help. I seal the envelope, address it not forgetting the inmate number, and drop it in the mailbox.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mark, what's up? Hey, listen, I'm gonna record this phone call. Okay oo okay.
Speaker 3: A week or so later, I call Zach.
Speaker 4: I got some news. So remember I sent a letter to Oh, yeah, the guy in the Columbo family. Yeah, he texted me from prison.
Speaker 3: Apparently gangster's context from prison.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, apparently they have phoned in prison. Can you read it?
Speaker 7: He says, As a small courtesy, I'm replying to request received six six twenty three.
Speaker 4: I do not recall the person you mentioned.
Speaker 3: At first, the guy texted back that he had no memory of Anthony Ramundi. But as I predicted, he did know you McIntosh, and he remembered that you had a cousin named Anthony. After a few back and forth, I realized that the Anthony this guy remembers is not Anthony Ramundi. Then he asked me if I know Anthony's nickname. He says, back then, everybody had a nickname.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 7: So then I looked through Anthony's book and found his nickname back when he was in the Columbo Crime Family, and it was Pluto. So I write back that Anthony's nickname was Pluto, and he writes back to me, yes, I found out that was who you were referring to. I was thinking of another cousin to Macintosh. Obviously he knows who Pluto is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. So he's kind of an a roundabout way of saying two days he's saying, yes, I remember Anthony Raymundy, and yes he was a cousin to Hugh McIntosh exactly. That's something that is I guess you're not you're not convinced.
Speaker 7: No, no, But then he wrote me back he says, as I'm not a fan of any books on such a topic because most are inaccurate to various degrees. I cannot wish you any type of luck or success in your endeavor.
Speaker 4: Well, it's kind of intense. Maybe just remindy podcast gets me killed.
Speaker 3: Later that night, this guy sent me one final text message. It simply said, I do request that you do not contact me again for any reason.
Speaker 5: Stay safe.
Speaker 3: Next time. On the Confessions of Anthony Ramundi, we learn a lot more about Anthony.
Speaker 5: Joey mate the man, and he just started to get wiser and wiser, and why they're doing more and more and more, and he wound up with them.
Speaker 1: What can I say? Do you remember your sinking Udo?
Speaker 3: And we learn a little about Pope John Paul.
Speaker 5: The first huge mount claimer.
Speaker 4: Oh was he really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: He scaled his last was it a mountain outside of Trento about six or seven months before he died?
Speaker 1: So he was a fit guy, right.
Speaker 3: The Confessions of Anthony Ramundi is a ust audio and truth media podcast in partnership with Clockwork Films. The show was produced by Lexa Burke, Kenny Cuziak, and Kevin shep Zach Saint Lewis is our senior producer. Mark Smirling That's Me is your host and story editor. Executive producers are Josh Block from USG Audio, Jamie Cohen, Naomi Harvey and Rob Huxley from Clockwork Films and Me Mark Smirling. Scott Curtis is our production manager. Production support from Josh La Longi at USG, Audio fact checking by Donnie Solimon, sound design and mixing by Kenny Cuziak. Music by Universal Production, Music Marmoset and Kenny Cuziak. Our title track is Big Fish by Kenny Cuziak. Legal review by Linda Steinmann and Abigail Overdale at Davis Wright Tremaine. If you've enjoyed the Confessions of Anthony Ramundi, leave us a review on iTunes. It really helps other people find the show, and thanks for listening.