Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Garth. I'm backstage at the first ever I Choose Me Live summit. You guys. I am so excited today I am going to be bringing you all backstage with me to talk with some of the incredible women we have involved in this event. Today is so special for me, you guys, And if you weren't able to attend the event, I'm happy to announce that you can go online right now and get a ticket to the live stream of the event. All the info will be in our show notes and you don't want to miss this day full of incredible women sharing their stories. We're going to laugh, We're gonna cry, It's going to be magical. Before we jump into the conversations, I Choose Me Live is presented by Nella Speck, maker of the Nella Comfort Kit, Comfort and Care down there. There are so many reasons as women that we might need to get a vaginal exam, and every one of those exams requires you guessed it a speculum. Let's make sure it's a comfortable one. Order your kit for your next exam at Nellispeck dot com and use code Jenny j E. N. Nie for a whopping twenty five percent off. Hi doctor Eve, I am so thrilled to have you here.
Speaker 2: Hi Jenny, thanks so much. I am so thrilled to be here at this event. This is amazing.
Speaker 1: We're backstage. Describe the energy. How are you feeling?
Speaker 2: The energy today so far is so vibrant, It's so exciting. What I feel is a gladness and a gratitude to be here. It feels really empowering to be here, to talk about these critical subjects, to contribute to these narratives that we as women are participating in, but then also then have the power to move forward and share with each other.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what today is all about sharing. I love that. Is there anyone you're excited to hear speak today?
Speaker 2: I'm really excited for my panel with Tamson and Naomi. So excited especially to balance and compliment the field that I'm in, which is internal medicine and women's health, with their amazing contributions through their documentaries, through the amazing products and advocacy. You know, for example, that Naomi has really put herself out there for so just a lot of gratitude, Really honored to be with them on this panel.
Speaker 1: I am excited for what we're going to talk about on that menopause panel. It's going to be so good. What does being a woman mean to you?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to quote Walt Whitman here. I mean, I think that being a woman means that I contain multitudes. It really means that I'm dynamic. You know, I'm curious. I'm an ever evolving, changing creature on this earth.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that answer. Ever evolving. Very cool. What does it mean to you to choose yourself?
Speaker 2: That's such an important question. I have, you know, three daughters of my own, and I've been a caregiver for both of my parents, you know, when they were dying from cancer. And I think choosing myself doesn't mean I'm not choosing other people. It doesn't mean I'm not caring for other people. But it does mean that I'm centering myself in my own life. You know that I'm not a supporting character or you know, Village Townsperson two in my own movie, but that I'm the main character. And it means that I need to take the time every day to reflect, to give myself grace to change, you know, to have aspirations and vision and ambitions, but also say what exactly is happening and give myself the grace and space to change, but also to have sense of who I am, and so that when I do come up against challenges, up to crossroads, I sometimes have to say, you know what, I'm going to disappoint somebody in this scenario, and I'm going to let that other person be disappointed, and I'm going to choose myself because this is who this is what I believe in, this is who I am, and placing myself at the center of that.
Speaker 1: That is such an important message to share. I love that answer. What is the best advice you were ever given by another woman?
Speaker 2: I'm going to use a professional example because I think for so long I did this. I think a great piece of advice that I've gotten and why I'm so excited to be here today, why I'm so excited to grow older, which is to let go of let go of being the ingenue, you know, like let go of the princess's character, you know, and instead let yourself grow up and evolve.
Speaker 1: That's good advice. Who are the women you most admi and what is it about them that inspires you?
Speaker 2: It's a great question. I think I really admire the CEO at UCLA Health, who I work for. She's just tremendous in the breadth and depth of how she approaches running an entire health system, and that means everything from the grand scale operations to caring for individual patients. And I think that the authenticity, the competence with which she does these things, I'll just never stop admiring. I also really really admire my three daughters. I just the people who they are. Just watching them open their hearts, you know, and be warm and curious and glad is just something that I constantly aspire to.
Speaker 1: I love that you said your three daughters. My daughters inspire me all the time too. Doctor Eve Glazier, what was your last I choose me moment?
Speaker 2: You know what, I think I like to think that I'm choosing myself. I mean, I think that even making the small decisions, you know, it doesn't that they don't have to be giant. I choose me is I think I choose honestly to love to wake up in the morning. I love telling and I were just talking about just sort of the privilege and blessings of routines. You know, we just return from evacuation and choosing to be grateful, you know, I mean, right, instead of like worrying about the whole yard being burned and choosing to be grateful, choosing myself to say, like, you know, I'm going to stay home and I'm going to really enjoy my cup of coffee and rebuild, you know, part of my home and my yard and garden. I believe in like the little choices that we do every day, So I do. I think I've chosen that for today. Choosing to come here today is a big one for me. You know, I absolutely feel shy and you know, intimidated, but I'm kind of choosing to carry this important message, you know, and participate.
Speaker 3: So I would say that.
Speaker 1: You are the best doctor.
Speaker 3: Eve.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being here today. Hi Jen, thanks for being here today.
Speaker 4: Hi Johnny, I'm so thrilled to be at your event.
Speaker 1: We are backstage right now. Describe the energy back here.
Speaker 4: The vibes backstage right now are definitely high. There's a lot of women and running around in command doing their things, so I'm in high spirits.
Speaker 1: I know, it's so electric. I'm loving it. What does being a woman mean to you?
Speaker 3: That's a big question.
Speaker 4: To me, being a woman means fully being able to be your authentic self and being in charge and being vulnerable and being multi talented and being in command and just being being everything all at once. I think women are so powerful.
Speaker 1: Yes, powerful is the perfect word. What does it mean to you to choose yourself?
Speaker 4: For me, choosing myself means to always follow my heart. And I know that's so cliche because it's something that's always said on the Bachelorette and Bachelor, but truly I believe that to my core. Like everything I do, I always follow my heart and it's always just led me down the right path.
Speaker 1: I love that you've always followed your heart. That's a good way to live. What do you hope to walk away with today today?
Speaker 4: I hope to walk away from all of us just feeling even more empowered than ever and honestly inspired by all the other incredible women speaking today. So I'm here to really just listen, and yes I'm speaking as well, but mostly to listen.
Speaker 1: Listening is important, but I can't wait to hear what you have to say. You're definitely going to inspire people today, that's for sure. Is there anyone you're looking forward to hearing speak today.
Speaker 4: I'm actually really excited to hear from Sasha today. I've grew up watching her in Pretty Little Liars and I've just always felt so inspired by her.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to hear Sasha speak to about her health journey. That's going to be a good conversation. What's the best advice you've ever gotten from another woman?
Speaker 4: The best advice I've ever gotten from another woman is don't be afraid to tell your truth. I think a lot of times as women were so aware of other people's emotions that we almost never want to let anyone down. But I think that if you're going to sugarcoat something or not live but like if you want to overly please everyone all at once, you're never going to find the right path or you're never ever going to find truth in something. So for me, I you know, I never try to be mean, but I'm going to tell my truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, telling your truth is such great advice to anyone listening right now. What do you hope the audience takes away from today? Especially being on the bad Ass pa all.
Speaker 4: I mean, it feels incredible to be asked to be on the Badass Panel. I do feel pretty bad ass after the year I've had, so it honestly feels really amazing to be here. And so I just hope people take away from it is to be yourself, follow your heart and to and that you're in command of your own life. You know. I think oftentimes we're really laid back and we're like, oh, you know, I'm not happy with the life I was given, or I'm not happy with these choices I've made, But like you are the person that can always change those things around if you just choose a different path, make a different choice. And I think I really want people to walk away from this knowing that, like their life is in their own hands.
Speaker 1: We can choose the life we want to live. Yes, that is great advice. Who are some of the women you most admire and how do they inspire you?
Speaker 4: I mean, to me, this one easily goes to my mom. Like my mom is my biggest inspiration, and like everything that I've learned and everything that is me comes from her. And She's been someone who's always been vulnerable and has always led with her heart. And I think that that's why I am like the way I am is because she's always been like that, so I owe it all to her.
Speaker 1: Moms are the best, Jen Tran, what was your last I Choose Me moment?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, okay, it's pretty recent. My last I Choose Me moment was deciding to go back to PA's school. It's been a big year for me. It's been a crazy year. And now I'm going back to physician assistant school in a couple of weeks. And you know, I've had a lot of noise in my ear of people tell me not to go or telling me that I should have went earlier, and I just, you know, I had to decide when the right time was for me. And now I'm going back to school, and and that's a decision that's fully for myself, and I stand behind and I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: For good for you. I'm so happy you're going back to school. I think that is so badass. Thank you, Jen. I'm so happy you're here today. Thank you, Hi, Veronica. I am so happy you're here with us.
Speaker 3: Today, Jenny, Thank you so much for inviting me here to be a part of the I Choose Me Live Summit. This is an extraordinary experience and I am so grateful for all of the lives that are going to be touched.
Speaker 1: What conversations are you excited to hear today.
Speaker 3: I'm really just excited to be in the energy of all of these women. I feel their hearts are so open, and I think that's really the biggest draw for me, is that everyone is so present. We're hungering, we long for. I think the depth of connection that this I Choose Me event is inspiring. You see women leaning in towards each other and it's really about it feels like sisterhood and camaraderie and trust building, and that feels really really good.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yes, sisterhood. That is what I'm talking about. What does being a woman mean to you?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, so many things. Being a woman means being fully alive. It means embodying my feminine and my masculine essence.
Speaker 4: It means.
Speaker 3: Living boldly and bravely and standing up for myself and also holding out a hand to others to help lift them up. It means being an incredible mother and a role model to my children, and also.
Speaker 1: A role model to those who.
Speaker 3: Have walked similar life paths to me, who need to know that you can overcome any obstacle, no matter what and not only survive, but you can you can truly thrive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow, I love that answer. What's the best advice you've ever gotten from another woman?
Speaker 3: I've had so many beautiful women in my life. I'll tell you one of my mentors, Barry Roberts, she said to me, one life, many lifetimes. And what that meant to me was, You're okay, You're right where you need to be. You get to re discover yourself, you get to rebuild yourself.
Speaker 1: It's not the end.
Speaker 3: Even when it feels like you've reached you've reached the endpoint, it's just the bottom of the next beginning for you. And it just really inspired me to not stay in any victim mode, to not ever feel sorry for myself, but to really to use everything that I've ever gone through as a stepping stone to get me to where I'm going next.
Speaker 1: So one life, many lifetimes, One life, many lifetimes. I really like that. Use that. Who are some of the women you most admire and what is it about them that inspires you?
Speaker 3: You know this is this sounds a little funny, but and maybe not funny at all, actually, but I am really in admiration right now of Zendaea. I love her because she's so she's so young, but she's very vibrant, and she really carries her beauty and her grace and her power in a way that I think is inspiring for perhaps a lot of young people and older people any age to really to have that balance of grace, beauty and self care, self love. But there's so many women who inspire me, it would be a long list for me to name all of them. My mother inspires me. My mother is powerfully, she's she's beautiful, and she's kind and she's loving, and she inspires me to continue to smile and to love life and to keep my eyes to the sunlight no matter what.
Speaker 1: Zendeia is incredible. I love that answer, And your mom sounds pretty amazing too. What does it mean to you to choose yourself?
Speaker 3: Choosing myself means loving myself, every single part of myself. It means it means taking care of myself. It means tuning inwards before I make a decision and make sure that I'm okay, I'm doing great? Like is this what you want? Girl? You doing all right? Is this good? Like really checking in and not looking out for the answers for the permission, but really listening to my inner self. That's what choosing me is, listening to my inner wisdom and trusting and believing in my inner wisdom.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that listening to your inner wisdom true. Veronica Linn Clark, What was your last I Choose Me moment.
Speaker 3: Coming here, making the decision to say yes to being here. Because I choose, I choose me, I choose to use my voice. I choose to share my gifts with other people, to inspire them to lean into their own hearts and to share their gifts when we choose ourselves. When I choose me, I help other people to choose themselves because I'm modeling.
Speaker 1: That, And I love that you chose to be here today with us. You are so incredible. Thank you, Hi, Samantha, I'm so excited to have you here.
Speaker 5: Ah Jenny, I am so excited to be co hosting this event and seeing your beautiful I Choose Me event. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: How did you feel about the event? What was your favorite part?
Speaker 5: It was so fun being able to actually talk to the VIP ticket holders afterwards and get a sense of what they took away, because that was the whole point of us being here today was to be able to give a lot of great takeaway insight and value. And also I think the touching moments really connected with the audience and so being able to have these women feel comfortable after having us on stage the whole event to come up and chat with me privately and share their own personal stories means that we resonated and that meant a lot.
Speaker 1: That means so much. Wow. Love that. What do you hope the audience took away from listening to your panel?
Speaker 5: For me and what I shared, my biggest takeaways for other people are to make sure that they advocate for their own health, that they know their bodies, and I think that really hit home for a lot of people who shared that with me afterwards.
Speaker 1: Was there a conversation that stood out to you or one that you were excited to hear today?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, the menopause conversation itself is so important for all women, whether you're far from menopause or you're in the thick of it. To hear the take from Tamson Fidal and from Naomi Watson of course doctor Glazer, and being able to see there are some ways that we can manage menopause and not feel like we have to suffer through it.
Speaker 1: Exactly, we shouldn't have to suffer through anything, because it's natural. What does being a woman mean to you?
Speaker 5: Being a woman to me means owning it and really not being afraid to lean into your femininity but into your power at the same time.
Speaker 1: I love that answer. What does it mean to you to choose yourself?
Speaker 5: Choosing myself used to seem like a selfish act, and it took a battle with cancer to know that when we don't choose ourselves first, we can't possibly be there for those who need us most. So self care being selfish turned into self care being selfless and essential. And after a second battle, I leaned into it even deeper, and that's why I'm now choosing my healthiest, healthy life possible.
Speaker 1: You are so right, my self care is not selfish. Listen to Samantha everyone. Who are some women you look up to? And how have they inspired you?
Speaker 5: It's going to sound cliche, but the woman I admire most is my mom. I can only hope that my girls grow up and want to admire me. I'm trying to model so hard to be able to have that honor. But I've watched my mom not only be there for my sister and me through every step of life in a way that I've never seen such undying support, but I've also seen her as a businesswoman, fight tooth and nail for something that she and my dad built. And when my dad died at fifty and my mom was forty eight, my mom had to dig in as all of these men came out of the work trying to claw it away from her. And it was something so beautiful and inspiring to see. But also to see how and by the way she was running the business until just now at seventy six, finally passing the my sister. And the other part is to see how much she advocates for us really knowing our body and listening and fighting for answers and continually questioning. And that's what helped me through not just my first my second breast cancer diagnosis. Is to listen to our body and notice those changes and then activate and take action when we're not getting the answers we might think everyone else says are the white ones.
Speaker 1: That is such good advice. Listen to your bodies, my friends. Samantha Harris, what was your last. I choose me moment.
Speaker 5: I choose me moment every day, so there's never a last, because every day I'm finding time for self care. I'm no, I'm making time for self care, to move my body, to whether it's a skincare regimen, to get into my infrared sauna, to pick up the phone and call a friend so we can laugh and chat. To connect with my mom or my sister or family member, to make sure that those relationships are strong. I'm choosing myself, but I'm doing this also so that I can as I choose my clean skincare, my toxin free beauty, my nourishment that's nutrient dense and plant based. It's all to choose me so I can be there for others. Do I want to live forever? Okay, I kind of do, but I want to mostly live there in a healthy, able body so that I can be vibrant and resilient to be there with my kids, their kids, and my friends and family.
Speaker 1: I love that. Thank you, Samantha,