Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis, code named Doc Holliday Jackson. Most importantly, you are you.
Speaker 4: You are here.
Speaker 3: That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. At the top of the week, we like to spend an evening exploring stories that may not have hit the top of the fold, as they used to say in the days of print. However, some of these stories, when they do hit, they don't get kind of the exploration that they deserve. And that's what we're here for. We're going to learn about some viral disappearance conspiracies. We're going to learn about some active, dangerous true crime, not just in Atlanta, but across the US. And if we're doing that, I wanted to run through a couple of quick things that haught our collective eye. Do you guys remember our period of exploring prosperity theology?
Speaker 4: Oh boy, could how could we forget kreflo dollar Yeah, gold plated private jets and all of that good stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We came out of that one with something that I make no apologies for around condemnation of those folks who are leveraging one of the most beautiful aspects of human human beings, the ability to believe they're leveraging it for a grift. Very and I say this not as a Christian, very un christ like to do that kind of thing. So there's a bit of good news. I want to start off with good news. A Brook pastor known as Lamar Whitehead or his name is Lamar Whitehead his he's often called the Bling Bishop, was just found guilty in court of spending ninety thousand US dollars of his parishioner's savings on luxury goods.
Speaker 5: No man, So I've always been to churches where that money I don't who knows what happens behind the scenes, but that money ends up going to like actual missionary work, and I've seen it happen.
Speaker 2: It's been a super positive thing.
Speaker 3: That's how it's so stablished.
Speaker 2: So depressing that.
Speaker 4: But isn't it funny too though, how some parishioners I guess that's the word of these prosperity theology churches are almost okay with their money being used to enrich their pastors in that way. Some of them, I guess maybe are being you know, swindled, and they don't know. But I do get to sense there are some that are totally fine with it.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean, Stockholm syndrome is.
Speaker 4: As I'm just saying, you know, that's and maybe I'm maybe I'm paying with a broad brush there.
Speaker 3: But to give you a taste, fellow conspiracy realist, of what prosperity theology is, I'd like to play a quick clip from the famous Kreflo Dollar when he talks to his congregation about spending their money on more private aircraft.
Speaker 4: Dollar also responded to his critics during a sermon, if.
Speaker 5: I want to believe God for sixty five million dollar brain, you cannot stop me.
Speaker 4: You cannot stop me from dreaming, you know, But I think too this is also a product of like gross commercialization of religion as well. The whole concept of prosperity theology is about like having all the things, and why wouldn't you aspire to your spiritual leader and want them to have only the best because they are, after all, your your spiritual leader. Therefore they must have the best on you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was one of the primary selling points of a lot of those places. Right believe and not only are you going to be healthy and your family is going to be okay, you can find wealth just you know, follow essentially me and the theology that I preach.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, we are not poor in spirit. We are a group of temporarily embarrassed spiritual millionaires. To paraphrase Ambrosepears. I love that we're mentioning aspire too, because in the spirit of positivity, there are a couple of things I found that I think would be great go tos for the newest flexes for televangelists, right for the actors in prosperity theology. And I'm using the word actor on purpose. Like everybody's getting jets, everybody's got Louis vatad suits and so on. Why not flex in a different way? Why not clone some Frank and sheep huh hybrids. That's something that's happening in Montana. Did you guys hear about this? We owe a debt of thanks to a conspiracy realist on Twitter who have used this one.
Speaker 4: Just the broad strokes are there any more? Deep says to what's the benefit of this? I don't understand.
Speaker 3: So traffickers in Montana have cloned what are called Frankin sheep hybrids entirely for the purpose of sport hunting. They use genetic material from what are called Marco Polo or Golli sheep all the way from Kyrgyzstan to breed these entirely new animals and then kill them for funzies.
Speaker 4: I never really thought abou hunting sheep. Isn't the whole deal with sheep that they're pretty docile and just hang out in pens before you at a slaughter at will Well seem a little unsportsman alike. Maybe these hybrids are like have superpowers all of a sudden, but they're better chase.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're like super bigs.
Speaker 5: It's like the plot of that movie The Island. You guys remember that one?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, clones are.
Speaker 5: We talked about with our bought like harvesting, right organ harvesting episode. But it's like that, except you combine that with the most dangerous game except their sheep.
Speaker 2: This is super fun, guys.
Speaker 3: For this is going to be amazing. This could be a great billionaire sketch on social media. So shout out to Popular Science the journalist Andrew Paul, and shout out to Monica del val or del Vallier over on Twitter, who hipped us to this this happening pretty recently. Turns out that these guys pled in court guilty to two felony wildlife crimes, the Lacy Act in particular, which you might not hear of if you're not involved in animal rights. It's a law from way back in nineteen hundred which is meant to combat illegal animal trafficking, and folks who run quote alternative lifestock end quote ranches in Montana are finding themselves in trouble with Uncle Sam on this to tell you, yes, I think you're right. No, in terms of the danger or lack thereof of hunting sheep. Let's go to the pop side description of this. These these Franklin sheep are about forty nine inches tall at the shoulder. Their horns are over five feet wide across. They weigh in around three hundred pounds. They're big guys, you know what I mean. Like, if they're mad at you, you're in trouble.
Speaker 4: Do they have like scary horns or anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their horns are over five feet wide.
Speaker 4: Oh that's true. Really, Okay, okay, well there you go. So it's someone'st more like a ram hunting a ram or a wild boar or something like that, you know.
Speaker 3: And it was an actual conspiracy because according to the Department of Justice, these guys purchased parts of the sheep, so like probably limbs or some sort of genetic material of the sheep from Kyrghyzstan way back in twenty thirteen. They smuggled them into the US and then they contacted an underground lab to make embryo clones of the Kyrghistani sheep and then implanted those in different sheep species and this farm in Montana and they just bred them until they created the Montana Mountain King, as they called it. Checks out, checks out, yeah, yeah right, So you know, maybe that drift is busted for our prosperity theologians in the crowd. If that doesn't quite if that doesn't quite do it for you, you could also fund a mysterious monolith like the Perfect Monolith that appeared in Wales quite recently. This is coming to us from the New York times, Amy Ortiz, Did you guys hear about this? It just it's a monolith that just appeared.
Speaker 4: No, but remember there was another story the monolith. It was an artist or's some kind of weirdo artists that just put in places and they were really heavy and expensive, and he obviously went to a great expense to do it, and it caused all this internet hubbub. But then it turned out it was just some like you know, be a Nolli type cap.
Speaker 2: Ooh, it looks similar to that one.
Speaker 3: It does, but it's unrelated. We're what we're talking about here, folks, is the rash of mysterious objects that were placed around the world in like the end of twenty twenty right Q four of twenty twenty is the corporate types would call it. This story occurs because a guy named Craig Mure left his house in and you'll love this town name left his house in hay On Way, Powells Whales.
Speaker 4: Going hay On Way, y'ah sounds like like a sports thing. Are you gonna go like crazy? Bro?
Speaker 3: You're so hey right now?
Speaker 4: Oh man on Way.
Speaker 6: Day in the wind there it is there, it is so this guy he takes a walk in a pretty rural area, and he says it's in the middle of nowhere, and he had the same guests as us.
Speaker 3: Speaking to The New York Times, he said it must have been some sort of art installation. If he didn't know anything to look at it, you could have easily thought it had been dropped off by a UFO or something. He says, in the middle of nowhere. No visible tracks. He saw a couple of footprints, but he didn't know if they were his neighbors.
Speaker 5: What if this is from that satellite that fell from from the Morbid remember that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a rod of God. What if it's a kinetic weapon too? You know, they're just way less impressive than all the studies down Or what if there are a couple of prosperity theologians of the.
Speaker 4: Current planet satellites?
Speaker 3: Tell us that's perfect, No, keep it like, tell us, folks, what is You know, Prosperity theology is going to be a thing for a long time because the US has really crooked relationship with taxation and the way religions function or things that get to call themselves religion shout out scientology. So maybe you can help us help them. Let's find some new flexes for spiritual grifters. Nice suits, private jets. Come on, that's a little right, old beans. What's what like, get some freak.
Speaker 2: I've got one.
Speaker 5: Yes, guys, I found this and I meant to share it with you, and I never did. And you probably even know about this. It's not news, but it is. Sorry, employee on my phone. It is a guy named Ernst Vitter v E T e R. It's the Ernst system. Okay, it is a gentleman that My name is Ernst Ter.
Speaker 2: This is his website.
Speaker 5: I am a practitioner and teacher of superpowers trained. If that's not prosperity theology, thing like getting started, come on, let's go.
Speaker 3: No, forget the show. Beat me here, doc the show. Send me that thing. I want to read it incredible.
Speaker 4: I was just going to throw into the ring jewel incrusted robot exoskeleton suits.
Speaker 3: Finally time has come. It's what Jesus would.
Speaker 4: Want, It's what he would have done had he had the opportunity.
Speaker 3: That's what the templars were all about.
Speaker 4: That's the secret.
Speaker 3: Also, the shroud of turret is a Middle Age or medieval forgery. Just to be good about that.
Speaker 4: What about it.
Speaker 5: Wait, wait, what about a church where you take all the everybody's savings the way that guy did, right, dollars more whatever, and you buy every member of the congregation and Apple vision pro so everybody does church at the same time everybody's wearing one, and then you create interactive church services using that technology.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are augmented religion.
Speaker 4: People have been attempting such things, you know, with previous iterations of VR, but I don't think it's quite taken off yet. Okay, yes, it could be the time, dude, it could be.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, we can't wait to hear your suggestions obviously, folks. You can tell we're cooking with some righteous gas at this point.
Speaker 4: So jeous gas, right, I like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I they did a girl that was her old street name. But uh yeah, but we're gonna we're gonna put a pinion that we believe in you to send us the best ideas for the future of prosperity theology and join up. You know, no idea is too small. All are welcome. As the guy in Polterguys said, we do want to give one important update before we move on. We've been talking about boeing you know, it's no secret we went on here about this. I had a kind of a close call, not really close call in the friendly skies with some detaching interior parts of a Boeing aircraft. And then what was it?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 3: There is a wheel that dropped off, there was a window that left work early, like.
Speaker 5: The yeah, and the biggest thing was the what was it the door plug thing that came apart.
Speaker 4: A handful of let's tell them Oopsie's.
Speaker 2: Well, it's really scary bedeues.
Speaker 5: John Oliver recently, like maybe a week ago or two weeks ago from this coming out, did an entire series on Boeing again. I know he's talked about in the past, but it's serious.
Speaker 3: And we are happy to report that John Oliver neither John Oliver nor any of the people in his writer's room, who are all actually really cool people saw their improv show one time in New York. They are not suspects in the unfortunate demise of John Barnett, retired career quality manager for Bowie. He passed away on March ninth, at the age of sixty two. He retired in twenty seventeen. He had been quite vocal about some of the concerns he had about Boeing aircraft and according to the Charleston County Coroner's office, this is reported in The Times and the Washington Post and so on. He appears to have expired due to a self inflicted wound.
Speaker 5: Oh while staying at a hotel because he was in town to do more legal business in his lawsuits against Boeing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you think the pressure was too much? It was just an unpleasant way to live, or do we suspect foul play?
Speaker 3: He was going into the final day of his deposition ahead of a trial set for June, where he alive, he would have been testified in that trial.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wowsers.
Speaker 5: He literally just met with the Boeing attorneys, Like that's what he was doing.
Speaker 3: That's what he was doing. And the entire time since his retirement, he has been alleging that Boeing retaliated against him for verbally and vocally and publicly raising concern about production issues. And this was, to be granted, this was his job. He was managing quality and he's the one who pointed out something was fishy. Nobody knew that anything was amiss until he failed to show up at ten a m. Saturday for that final deposition.
Speaker 4: Dude, I just don't have a hard time believing that too big to fail industries such as this have people killed when they're inconvenient from time to time. I just have no problem believing that I am not alleging such. I just don't think it's a very long.
Speaker 5: Walk Doc aka the Marchioness of Buckhead. I said, definitely assassinated.
Speaker 3: Right right, And we may have we may have to say, all right, we're buttoned up illlegal. We may have to dive into this in an episode in the future as part of our unfortunately ongoing series on mysterious deaths of scientists inventors. Maybe we have to wrap up QA folks in there as well.
Speaker 4: It's an engineer, right, I mean he has to have some background and serious airplane mechanics and engineering. Right.
Speaker 3: It's a smart fellow, and we'll learn more about him, for sure. The main thing is the thing we want to leave you with as we go into this adbreak, is regardless of your stance on Boeing, please join us in keeping the family in your thoughts. Yes, we're going to pause for word from our sponsors, and we'll return with more strange news.
Speaker 4: And we returned with a story that was teased by Ben in evoking the chat the nom de chat of super producer Alexis code named Doc Holliday Jackson.
Speaker 3: The I like chat.
Speaker 4: I think it applies here. What was it? The Marchioness of Buckhead? Any non atli? And can we even say that? Whatever it said out there? Min? I know the Buckhead is sort of an affluent community here in Atlanta, the fancy malls out there where you can got the Dulchan Gabonastoor and then stuff like that. Weirdly, though, Buckhead comes into play in our third story, and there's a lot of weird crime and some of the more affluent parts of Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Study and extremes.
Speaker 4: But people don't talk about it. People act like Atlanta is full of like car fires and it's just mad max in the streets in the parts of the city that we hang out in for the most part that you would consider, I guess more urban, not so much, but it's a lot of it happens in the suburbs. But anyway, I digress. We'll get to that in a minute. What is a marchioness. I'd never heard the term until I started looking into this story about the mysterious case of the doctored royal family photo. Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Wales's wife of Prince Harry. Right, is it Prince Harry or no, William right, wife of Prince William.
Speaker 2: Is that right? I don't know, Doc, Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's William.
Speaker 4: She's married to Prince William. Prince Harry is married to mar Please no.
Speaker 3: I don't care, I really don't.
Speaker 4: But Harry is married to Mark That's right, that's right. That was a big to do as well. That's right because Markle was like the she's a common you know, all of that good stuff. Yeah, it's a bit of a niche beat. Let's just call it the whole royal thing. There are certainly people that are that are known as Royal watchers. I guess it's you know, it's sort of its own real life reality, real life reality. It is Royal Jubilee, all of that good stuff. It's a thing that people, certain people hang on quite intently. And I was about to say it's a real life reality show, which is the most meta, bizarre thing that it could ever be said. Not entirely true, but this is weird.
Speaker 2: There's this guy Byron Denniston.
Speaker 5: He's he's the guy I follow to like get Royal Watcher updates.
Speaker 2: He's really good, got it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's not really my faery, well a million percent. Anyway, as we know, you know, to a large degree, we've talked about does the you know, the royal family or does the crown control the world and all of these kinds of things. Probably not, I think, is the takeaway there. Largely ceremonial, largely about maintaining history and legacy and all of that. But they're very very very very very very very wealthy. Whether or not they're powerful is another question. What they have typically been I guess, at least relatively decent at doing, is controlling the kind of narrative of you know, how they want to be perceived and all of that. And that's done of course through like a myriad of handlers and pr people and all of that stuff. But it does seem maybe since as far back as you know Princess Diana, they've sort of lost the grip on that control, maybe, you know, with the advent of the always on media and all of that good stuff. Because obviously what happened with Princess Diana was she was killed while evading paparazzi in a car accident. And so it does feel like that informs perhaps you know, how much they want to keep these kinds of things under wraps and kind of insulate the royal family members from this kind of scrutiny. So what's going on with Kate Middleton is that she has been conspicuously absent from public life for maybe the past four to six months. I want to say, what was you know, told to the public and to the press by the you know said handlers and pr people, is that she underwent some sort of abdominal surgery. Ben I believe you said you'd heard that it was a gastric bypass surgery.
Speaker 3: Well, it's the internet also, people are so the most amazing thing about when stories become viral like this is the just sheer amount of previously revealed experts who reveal their expertise and some of those some of those folks have read you know, Wikipedia articles on gastric bypass or stomach staply and and then other people, you know, another one doc you had mentioned this one was the a bit more spicy speculation that.
Speaker 4: A Brazilian Yeah, okay, right, So see even me hearing you say gastric Bypass earlier, when I think I might even joined the chat late and it was already being discussed because again of Doc's nickname, I just sort of was like, oh, I must have missed that. That must be God's honest truth that it definitely was that thing. But of course that's a very private type of surgery that they probably wouldn't let out. They probably wouldn't say that's that's really none of anybody's business. So I believe all of what we have is abdominal procedure, abdominal surgery, and as we know, in the absence of facts, speculation thrives. You mentioned Ben, all of these, you know, newly minted Internet experts, armchair experts, sleuth's, what have you. There is a fabulous editorial on NPR by Linda Holmes, who has a term she refers to conspiracy theories, theorists, the overused term at this point according to her, But she came up with one that I had not seen before. It was recreational speculators. And it totally makes sense people that just are kind of bored and just are like, what could it be? It's Is it a gastric bypass? Is it a Brazilian butt lift? Does she have untreatable cancer? You know? Has she has she been decapitated? You know, I mean it literally, the sky's the limit. So already because of the absence, and because of the vagary of the description of what she underwent that led to this absence, the Internet's already going nuts. Then on Mother's Day this photo drops on first viewing a delightful family photo with you know, three kids k in the middle, sitting on what looks like a rustic type rocking chair on a porch. Nothing particularly ostentatious about it. I don't know any of the kid's names. That one of the young lads is wearing a sweater and gripping the kind of like the arm of the chair. Another one's on a lap kind of situation, and they're all like mid laugh and just having a glorious time. So this was released or was tweeted, exed what have you, by the official Prince and Princess of Wales's account, because they love each other very much. They have a joint account which has fifteen point three million followers, likely many of them these royal watchers, and it was distributed by the AP and all of the wire services whatever like this. This photo went out only to be recalled quickly by a p first I believe who issued something called a kill notice, because AP is such a you know, kind of clearing house, I guess for photos for all kinds of news agencies. They released this and it sticking very seriously. I didn't realize this, but in looking into the story, there are a lot of very specific guidelines around what kind of doctoring is allowed in photos. So yeah, I'm sorry, I'm ready to lead there a little bit. It became very clear very quickly this photo had been weirdly photoshopped. If we're looking at it, we might be like, okay, maybe these were just kind of like ham fisted touch up jobs, Like there's some parts where there's some sort of like artifacting. You know, I'm not an expert in this. Matt would probably be a little more able to point the stuff out. But things like the evidence of a clone tool being used in photoshop, and evidence of a background blur kind of tool being used, and some even copy and pasting and textures that didn't make sense. And I think there's something even like the kid's hand around the chair looks kind of weird to my eyes. But yeah, and of course when that happened, Oh boy, did those Internet salutes go nuts. She's dead. This is all a lie. This is a fabricated image. You know, her children have been abducted. God knows what the sky's the limit to which presume I believe the princess posted something on the same account. I'm saying, like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing. I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday cause I hope everyone had a very happy Mother's Day. So the princess is copying to editing her own photo. This is something everybody does, you know, in the age of phone photo editing apps that are as powerful as Photoshop once was, people like to touch their stuff up. There's a culture of that, you know already that exists in things like fashion magazines stuff. But the news is different. When you're covering the news, you're not supposed to have any touch ups. That's what I was saying. I found out can't even get rid of red eye apparently. Ben. I don't know if you heard about this, but There's a story I ran across about a supposed war photographer who was like fat, who's like stealing and photoshopping other war images to pass them off as his own in conflict zones. I can't remember the guy's name, but it's a thing that happens. And you know, a lot of those photos were pulled that when that happen. Have you heard of any other examples of this kind of thing.
Speaker 3: It's weird because it's a more specific version of the old dilemma for technological innovation and legislation. Journalism is attempting to make hard guidelines that keep people ethical and honest, but those guidelines are often in reaction to this stuff that distorts the truth, right, which is anathema to journalism as a vocation or as a concept. And it's this is not to say, of course, that there's not an expected, to your point, measure of sweetening for images, right, Like, we know that every for a long time, most of the images you see in fashion magazines have been airbrushed to an extent, little blemishes removed, and there seems to be amid the public an expectation of this and a certain degree of tolerance. But after you reach an ill defined threshold, then people start reacting adversely. And also, you know, as as anybody's worked in film, most particularly doc Holiday here can confirm you know, your favorite films have a lot of time put into oh what's that specific profession colorist, color locking, that kind of stuff, you know, so sure, yeah, yeah, that's it. So I think it's it's almost a spectrum. It's a matter of degree of editing. And you made an excellent point there earlier too, where you're saying, hey, a lot of people do this. It's normalized, right, and it's convenient through something like a phone app to put a filter on, and as long as you're not, you know, making yourself look like a h a space bear or a German shepherd.
Speaker 4: Then people Yeah. But but again the question then too big, Ben, Those are excellent points is what is the intent of the photo? You know what I mean? So is it newsworthy or is it fashion which doesn't have the expectation of newsworthiness per se. This is all stuff basically cooked up in a lab, you know. But there have been instances where celebrities even where it came out and said I didn't like what they did to my legs, you know, like I think it was Kate Winslet, another famous Kate who there was some vanity fair, vogue or something where she said they like reduced the size of her legs by a magnitude and did not care for it. And then the flip side is Lena Dunham. There was an image or a series of images taken of her for some you know magazine of that stripe and then the Internet released the untouched version and she said she felt invaded by them releasing the untouched version because it was she you know, took the agency away from her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it reminds me of Fox News for another context. You know, Fox News got in trouble a while back because they were, without official knowledge, they were publishing photographs of I think primarily folks from the Democratic or party or left side of political ideology in the US. They were publishing these photographs where the picture happened altered to make a nose bigger, to make teeth yellower, things like that, Subtle things that you wouldn't necessarily catch. And I think you're making an excellent point regarding intent, because we know the alteration of photograph of photographs. Excuse me, and the plural can be an alteration of history. Shout out Tianaman Square, shout out the pie styling photoshop fan.
Speaker 4: Jose of Stalin, and I just my last little thing out. I want to hear what you have to say about this in terms of the intent. And I can't remember there were there was a Verge piece that I read. Now I'm scanning through it trying to find the exact quote. But it was a really good point that either Mia Saddo made in the Verge or or the NPR writer made in that piece that was Linda Holmes. But the idea that the intent of this photo, it wasn't meant to be like a proof of life kind of situation. But that is immediately how the Internet took it and therefore treated it as this news item for all aburbos. That this exactly was what it seemed was as a mom making a nice picture with her kids. And also, there is no reason to believe there's anything fishy going on with Kate Middleton. We didn't even get to the whole you know, conspiracy theory behind a divorce because of the what's her name, guys, the the Holy Cow, the marchionetts of Chambawombley, Charlie im Alder, what was it again? I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I just know the Marchioness of Bucket, that's all I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the what I respect, sir.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the that's the only one that matters. It is the Marchian net of. It's like, it looks like it's chom wam delay or something. And apparently Stephen Colbert did a bit on it and pronounced it as such and was told that it's not pronounced that way. It's sort of like, what has it been Wooster? That looks like it should be Worchester, Leicester is lester things. Yeah, and so it's like Chumbley I think that might be right, Chumbley or Chomley.
Speaker 3: It's like if you were if you were a drunk child labor in the Victorian era and you were trying to say.
Speaker 4: Chimney, yeah exactly, Chimney yeah. Or it's the name of your your thieves, your thief master, you know, mister Lmbley. You know, he runs like a crooked orphanage or something. But in any case, the point of the matter is it's a serious surgery, whatever it is. If it's on your abdominal and it's it's enough to keep you out of the public eye for that long, and chances are she just wasn't ready to make an appearance, but wanted to show some face for Mother's Day. Whether this was a current picture or not was never indicated. It was not really intended to be indicated. I don't think, And I think it's just a good example of how the Internet is a hive of scum and villainy and what's the word again, recreational speculators. Matt closing thoughts that I've been gab it on this one and I find it fascinating.
Speaker 2: Did you guys see John cena streak at the Oscars?
Speaker 4: I saw, yeah, I saw the stills. I didn't actually watch.
Speaker 3: The hashtag goals. He's forty six.
Speaker 5: I think I think about I think about this situation with the royal family as much as I thought.
Speaker 2: About that thing.
Speaker 5: But I again, I enjoy John Cena's bit at the Oscars, this whole, this whole thing. I'm just like, hey, whatever, it makes me think. It's directly related to the way we reacted to the Kim Jong un rumors. Remember every time he would go missing, like how many times is it now.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's always spent a speculation about putin, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're like, oh, man, we haven't seen that guy like two months is he alive? And then a picture would come out like oh this is BS. That's not actually right now. I don't know the weekend at Bernie sits, you know, the whole thing.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's hard for me to get myself to care about this.
Speaker 4: I think that's fine. Let me make it clear. I don't care either, and I'm sure she's fine. But I think this is a teachable moment, you know, in terms of like what is expected in and again I went down some rabbit holes where I was unaware of this, like these rules against touching up photos to any degree like red eye even you know, for stuff that is considered newsworthy and is looked at under the guidelines of journalism, you know. And I think the issue is too that lines have blurred, you know, between what is news and what is entertainment. I think that's a problem. I hear that we're probably dealing with the fallout from and will be for a very long time. Especially and again, these these regulations are more important now than ever because of things like AI and much more easy access to doctoring software that even the novice can just do. Dep dep there it is, you know, somebody's next to somebody else.
Speaker 2: I don't think we talked about yet, and I know we need to move on.
Speaker 4: But the whole.
Speaker 5: Gaza conflict. AI generated images that were shown off as real for for a while before they were found out like just completely AI generated images of Gaza in you know, in ruins and false. I don't think happened. It's it's you could look it up. It's just it's really it's a scary time. We're moving into where I understand why people call into question something like that when it comes from a source you know that maybe is mistrusted by a lot of people, are distrusted by a lot of people. But it we're in that world now, we're in that place, and I don't know how we get out of it. Uh, And it's going to be this way for almost everything.
Speaker 4: I think. I don't think you can put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. AnyWho, Let's take a quick break here, a word from our sponsor, and then come back with a more piece of strange news.
Speaker 5: All right, we've returned and we are going to hang out in our city, Atlanta for a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess it's y'all city. My city is I guess?
Speaker 4: Oh North?
Speaker 3: Now let me tell people you live when we're on the road, you know what I mean, Georgia.
Speaker 5: So, by the way, I just discovered that I'm taking a rather long flight very soon for an event we're going to be a part of in a Boeing seven sixty seven. So yeeha, boys, rolling the dice, love it love it is life.
Speaker 3: If not to be lived. Drink, make merry in Buckhead. I'm quite excited about this story, madam, Well, interested in your take here?
Speaker 2: This is a this is a freaky story.
Speaker 5: It does make me want us to put on our detective hats, you know, go hang out at some bars.
Speaker 4: Nay, just start to bar isn' Johnny' hide away at Cougar Bar.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll get into it to it. Okay, Sorry, here we go?
Speaker 3: Okay, so here we we mean cougar in an affirmational sense, A million.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, go get it, yeah, go get it.
Speaker 2: Whatever that get us stay away from me. Are you still sorry for here we go?
Speaker 5: Here is the title and this is crazy. Here's the title for NBC News. This is written by Matt Laviette's I think that's how you'd say.
Speaker 2: His name is okay.
Speaker 5: Posted on March eleventh, so not long ago, as we're recording this on the thirteenth. Here's the title. Young men say that they were drugged, kidnapped, robbed of thousands at Atlanta bars. I'm going to read some of this verbatim because it is really important to get this stuff correct, and then we can maybe discuss.
Speaker 4: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 5: Eight men said they lost consciousness and were robbed of thousands of dollars while out at bars in a wealthy Atlanta neighborhood from November twenty twenty one until last month, and at his buckhead. It's a neighborhood of Atlanta. Here we go, let's continue. The men said they believed they were drugged or they described feeling abnormally intoxicated shortly before their phones were used to transfer thousands of dollars out of their bank accounts Nightmare, largely using mobile payment apps like you think of what anyone that you use, Venmo cash app, Apple Cash, all that stuff, PayPal and also their credit cards were used to make fraudulent purchases. Five of the eight men also alleged that while they were in and out of consciousness, probably drugged right on the nights of their encounters, they were driven around Atlanta in unfamiliar cars by strangers, and most of the people who were interviewed for this had a hazy memory of what happened, so again in and out of consciousness, remembering bits and pieces of the encounter as they're going. Very scary stuff. All of the alleged incidents occurred after men went out to bars in Buckhead. It's described here by writer Matt, not me, Matt Lavette's as an affluent a landa neighborhood known for its vibrant nightlife and young crowd, which is something I think we can all attest to. That's what I know of Buckhead when I've been in there. That's how I would describe it.
Speaker 4: It's not our scene, it's our scene.
Speaker 3: Our old office was there. I used to live there once upon a time, off our road.
Speaker 5: I used to live very close to there, and I've visited a couple of places we're about to mention because four of the men said the alleged crimes occurred at this place called Five paces In that I've never been to. It's described as a dive bar by most people who go to it. Others said incidents took place at three other popular bars, a place called thirty th hi r T Y Johnny's Hideaway, which is maybe it has a reputation because this is how I've also encountered it to or how I've heard about it, Noel, as you're describing it a bar where there's it's got a bit older client but often looking to party with maybe younger folks who join up at the at the party there.
Speaker 4: I have heard that from multiple sources. Have not seen it firsthand.
Speaker 3: It's I've see it firsthand. It's acquired, you know, it's kind of like the local notoriety that you want if you're running a public house, similar to how like the Claremont. You know, sure, so it's good marketing for them, that kind of tongue in cheek demographic advertisement.
Speaker 4: It does borderline, though, have the vibe of like a swinger's kind of situation. I wouldn't say.
Speaker 3: It's borderline at all.
Speaker 4: I think, okay, fair enough, I'm just trying to be diplomatic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got that Yeah, I got that vibe too a little bit. I'm not sure though. But the other place is called the Ivy Buckhead.
Speaker 2: It's just known here as.
Speaker 5: The Ivy, and it's it's more of a gosh, I don't again, I don't want to talk smack about any of these places because they're actually kind of cool. The Ivy struck me as more of a bro hangout kind of vibe. Yeah, yeah, like maybe college guys or or fresh out of college guys just hanging out. So, first of all, this thing, this type of crime where you are hanging out at a bar, maybe something gets slipped into a drink that you've ordered, and then all of a sudden you're out of it, and you're saying yes to things that you would normally say yes to, or you are being manipulated by someone physically by like capacitated.
Speaker 3: Someone says, yeah, this is my buddy Chandler, here's his card.
Speaker 4: He's fine.
Speaker 3: And then especially if this occurs on a high traffic night, and again, this is not denigration at all towards the staff, towards the people going out to have a good time. If you're in the weeds and it's a really busy night. Then you want things that are easy to say yes to and don't look suspicious. So cool ring out the check because I have like eighteen people right now also drunk and yelling for drinks. So it's understandable. That's why. That's why these predators like where they do. It's opportunitism.
Speaker 4: I would also add to that that a lot of these places to me have the vibe of a place where there is an expectation of drug use and perhaps drug dealing and consumption. It's just a thing, you know, It's part of certain scenes and a Johnny's Hideaway type vibe just hits me that way, and so it could be the kind of place for maybe someone wouldn't notice how messed up they were right away, because again a not victim blaming here, I'm just trajecturing. But it does strike me that way a little bit, because we've seen similarities between this and some other crimes at similar types of places in other cities.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Yes, I do want to point out two mechs. I know we got a lot to get to here. I do want to point out just for everybody tuning in, statistically, there are probably there are unfortunately definitely fellow conspiracy realists in the audience tonight who have been the victims or someone has attempted to victimize you through drugging you when you were out at a party with what would ordinarily be a reasonable expectation of safety. We understand it, We have your back. Please don't play around with it. Don't drink drinks given to you by strangers, don't leave drinks unattended. Please deploy the buddy system. It's just it's not worth it, even when law enforcement does their best to address it.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, let's go ahead and address one other thing here, or a couple other things. We don't often get to hear a big story about men being victims of this kind of crime. We often hear about women being sexually assaulted and attacked and harassed in these ways at nightclubs, at bars, slipping a drug into a drink, and then someone you know, predator approaching. It's just not common to hear about it. It's something that happens all the time. This I think, I don't know. I don't think this is directly related to the New York crimes that we had heard about guys in the recent past, because that was a group of people who are actually awaiting trial right now, like all the people that were. There were several gay bars in New York that a couple of years ago, the same kind of thing was happening. Men were being taken from the bar, they were intoxicated way too fast, and money was taken out of their accounts, both via their phone and like they were driven around in the same manner to ATMs where money was taken out repeatedly, same kind of crime. And in both of these instances though there I think this is just me pousiting it. I think because of the neighborhood, there is an expectation by these criminals whoever is stealing money from people, They believe that patrons who go to these bars are going to have more money in their accounts. And it appears that that is true, because we're talking ten thousand dollars that's sitting in a checking account that was taken out, or thirteen thousand dollars in one of the cases, or more where bank accoun emptied, and there are tens of thousands of dollars in those accounts. So there's a couple of different types of targeting that are occurring here. I don't know how to protect yourself other than as you said, Ben, watch your drink right at all times. The other thing is several of the men reported that their assailants used their facial recognition to unlost the phones. So they're intoxicated, they're half passed out or whatever, and they were these assailants were still able to gain access to their phones and all of their apps.
Speaker 4: And most of those apps don't have a pen. They'll just go, you know, if you get into the phone, you're in the app for the most part, or they don't have two factor authentication.
Speaker 3: Now, I wanted to ask to the idea of what always Sonny would call a brown out, come to and fro from consciousness and memory. It seems that from some of the reports of the gentleman who came forward, that they were perhaps being repeated le dosed yes a period of time. Could you tell us a little more about that or their their descriptions.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to name the names.
Speaker 5: You can find the names of the men who were victims here because oh gosh, six six of the eight men actually reached out to the APD and other police outfits to report these crimes, and all of the cases remain open of those six men that reported, so like, there hasn't been any major movement Brandy, you know, finding the people who are doing this yet. But in one of the cases, at least that I read in the NBC News article and some of the follow ups there was that one of the men reported waking up and there his assailants were basically they noticed, right, and they were like, oh, we got to put him back under, so they forced.
Speaker 2: Fed him something.
Speaker 5: But it wasn't like it didn't I don't know the way it's described as a bit strange.
Speaker 2: Do you have the quote, Ben.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of these people, and again, as Matt said, you can find them, but just out of respect for them, we're not gonna we're not gonna like platform their names because these guys didn't do anything wrong. To be very clear, one victim says, the last thing they remember is being at a bar. They're ordering a round of drinks for friends, the way you would do in any given night. And then he quote then recalls briefly coming to in the backseat of an accelerating vehicle while being restrained by an unknown person and says, I just remember everything was black in there. I was trying to scream but it was like a hand was over me, forcing more of that substance down my mouth. And the person says it wasn't a liquid at this point, it was something solid. They just don't know what. Yes, so a pill perhaps.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, right, well, I mean really.
Speaker 5: And just to finish up the encounter with that person, it goes on to say he woke up several hours later violently throwing up blood in a gas station bathroom three miles away from the bar. Oh, like, I can't imagine going through that. And he lost thirteen thousand dollars that night.
Speaker 4: They must have had some sort of smarts in terms of being able to get that much, because you know, there are maximums for a zell and things like that that are tied to your bank account, or you'd think there'd be a block on it.
Speaker 2: Atter.
Speaker 5: Well, these guys went into the person's phone, right, And in a couple of cases, it also appears if you guys, I guess I'm jumping ahead here, but if you go to Google right, and you like, go to Google Maps and you search for the five paces in and you can check out their reviews. Who knows how many of these reviews are a response to some of the reporting. You know, sometimes there are reviews that are not genuine there. It's almost like piling on when there's bad press about a place. But a few of these at least seem to be pointing out actual events where a purse was stolen, a cell phone was stolen, or one of the you know, someone was victimized in this way at this establishment, and in a couple of them. It appears that there's enough social engineering going on in this busy bar where think about how many times if you don't use spatial recognition on your phone, you pull up your phone and you type your password in real quick? Do you hide every time you do that? Do you put your phone away and you know, quietly put your number in? Anybody could glance over, you know, and just go, oh, I know that number.
Speaker 2: Easy.
Speaker 4: You could even see the fingerprints. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think about that a lot. Yeah, and then same, I mean, it's the same as a pen number at an ATM or you know, a point of sale. There's also additionally to this. We we see that there are moonlighting cops, there are security officers there. But to be clear, without you know, casting unfair aspersion on any of these establisablishments of their staff. I think it's really important that you pointed out, Matt, there have been similar complaints or there have been complaints of theft, complaints of predatory behavior and so on for quite some time in that area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, so how do you fix that? Guys?
Speaker 5: If you want a place to go hang out in public with other people and all feel safe, but also that sense of you know, I'm out and it's not not dangerous, what is the what is the exciting thing about a club or a bar like that? Just that you're with other people, you are seeing other people in being seen, and what is it?
Speaker 3: It's the for a lot of folks. Well, the humans are naturally gregarious, right, so there's there's a big thing about, especially in a younger demographic or sorry, college age demographic, you want to go out, meet and mingle. Tonight might be the night that you fall in love for a weekend. Hey, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Well, there's a certain acceptance too of again letting a little looser than you might and certain scenes or bars or clubs are even more so that. Right, if you're into this kind of thing, or maybe you're into these kind of drugs or whatever. This is where you go. So there's a certain cocoonness of it all where you're like, this is an accepted behavior. I'm in my safe space that can very quickly turn into a dangerous space.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess okay, So there are a couple of things just my thoughts from that. How I just wonder how much of that is controlled by the groups of people that end up congregating at those specific locations over time. Right, do they create their own culture, like including drugs or whatever is occurring there, their own types of people or do you think that's the owner and the staff. And I think it's way more the human beings that decide to congregate over time at a place, Right, I just I don't in my mind we were talking about drugs in like the places where you go get specific drugs.
Speaker 2: I just don't want to.
Speaker 5: I don't want any of those business owners or you know, businesses themselves to be associated with that kind of thing because I don't think it's them.
Speaker 2: I think it's just no.
Speaker 4: I'm sinking more generally too. I mean, I'm certainly not. I have not been to any of these places. I have no idea of reputation. I'm just talking about in general. There are certain places people would gravitate to for certain types of things.
Speaker 3: It's the oasis problem, okay, or that's the oasis situation right. There is a source for congregation and resources that summons the preyer. I don't even want to say pray that summons the innocent people, and their presence in numbers summons the predators. This is a very old thing. It is not the fault of the staff. It's not the fault of the innocent people. And to bring it all back around to look into bit with how our conversation began this evening. You know, if you started a church and the same sort of activities happened in youth group and was open to everybody, and eventually predatory elements would intrude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well then, but how do you stop it? Extreme security? I have like cameras everywhere, so you look at yeah, well exactly so everybody.
Speaker 2: But again that might stop it.
Speaker 5: Everybody who comes in and out of the establishment is identified basically, but again not probably what you want if you're going to a place like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to be a stranger in the night.
Speaker 5: You know, you put it, you put a ton more officers, like off duty police officers around. I don't think that helps the situation either.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's just I it freaks me out.
Speaker 5: Because I can't see even the hint of a real solution right there.
Speaker 3: There's not really the problem is I mean, the pickle of it is the answer. The impossible answer is to create a society such that people do not feel driven to commit crime to survive, right, or create a society that somehow effectively disincentivizes is those actions, Or to somehow alter human nature such that people don't drug these folks. I mean, some of these folks who got drugged. This happens every day in the US. Some of them could have died. They were not being administered doses of something by a medical professional. They could have eased.
Speaker 5: To date, at least two people died in the New York attacks at the gay bars. And again, I don't think these are crimes to survive. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars. These are crimes for some kind of enterprise, criminal enterprise that I think is bigger than just.
Speaker 2: A couple of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we don't know.
Speaker 5: We don't know, but it leads me to believe that. I think so this is large amounts of money. All right, that's all I've got for this segment of Strange News. Please do let us know if you hear anything about these cases or if something like this is happening in your town.
Speaker 3: Be safe out there, folks. One thing we can say for sure, we do not think cap Middleton is related to these crimes, but we have not heard a official source on that.
Speaker 4: Who's to say?
Speaker 3: Who's to say? Thank you so much for tuning into this week's Strange News segment, folks, Thank you for writing in. Tune in later this week. We have some excellent episodes coming up. We have our listener mail program where we hear directly from the best part of the show. You and your fellow conspiracy realist. Hey, I'd like to be part of the show.
Speaker 4: You may be.
Speaker 3: Saying, well, you are in luck, friends and neighbors. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 4: Correct. You can find us at the handle conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on most of the social media platforms of notes. That includes Facebook, x FKA, Twitter, and YouTube, where we have lots of fun videos rolling out every week. I think we've got the first entry in our George Washington time Machine video that is now live and direct on the internet. Please let us know what you think. Matt edited it, sang in it, Ben stars in it. It's just the best. It's a delight, and there's more of that kind of stuff to come. You can also find us to the handle conspiracy stuff on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 5: Hey, we have a phone number one eight three three st d WYTK. When you call in, give yourself a cool name, and then you've got three minutes to say whatever you'd want. Please let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you've got more to say they can fit in that message. Why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 5: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.