Speaker 1: Some reflections on a rare trip that had both Chris Haynes and me Mark Stein in the same city. Of course we could not resist. We're also going to talk about the Western Conference, who is the foremost threat to the Denver Nuggets, and the Eastern Conference. Name your foremost threat to the Boston Celtics. We do all that next here on this League Uncut.
Speaker 2: Welcome to this League Uncut. In the rule of twenty four hour NBA news, this news you love, Chris Haynes. It's time, Mark Stein, It's so time. This League Uncut is underway and on fire.
Speaker 3: This should be a good.
Speaker 1: One, the new edition of this League Uncut. Mark Stein here with Chris Haynes. We were actually in the same place, same city, say building, same Dais in Indianapolis, only the second time this season that was actually cross pass and seeing each other, mister Haynes, like obviously because last week we all had a circus schedule, including Producer Ryan. I think Producer Ryan had the longest All Star breakout of any of us on this any of us in this squad. But uh was your All Star Okay? I saw you Sunday morning, but then I didn't see you out didn't really get to say goodbye to you. So how would you rate your All Star experience? Was it okay in the end? I know, snowy cold Indianapolis is tough for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, not a fan of the snow, but now it was. I would just say it was productive. I was drained, like I they. You know, I had a ton of assignments over the weekend. I did not hit up one party. I did not hit up one brunch, one event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm finally rubbing off it.
Speaker 3: It wasn't because it wasn't because of nah, nah, I had nothing. I had nothing to do with it. It was just all the assignments that I had, And I'm not complaining. I enjoyed it. I did the Rising Stars game Friday, and I had to have rehearsal for the Rising Stars m VP and Championship presentation that I did Saturday night. I had the All Star practice that morning. Then I had to work the HBCU game sidelines. Then I had to work the Saturday night sidelines for the Dunk Contest three point and all that. So my day was pretty much filled up. But no, it was cool. I got to hang with you know after at you know, at the end of the night, because you know, we have our We stayed at the Hilton where the T n T employees were housed, so got to hang with my guys Chuck and Kenny a few nights after the games. And uh, it's always cool, Uh when when you hanging with those guys and they're a little bit more looser, a little bit more looser at night when you when you get you know, you get to get the drinking and you know, I mean, like you know how it is, So yeah, I had to.
Speaker 1: Say I had a I had a really surprising bonus evening with the Chuckster, completely unplanned because the Hilton, the Turner Hotel was right around the corner from the Sheraton where the media was and on Saturday night after I Saturday I hosted a panel with Grant Hill and Chelsea Gray and Jim Tooley and Martin Dempsey from USA B. That was Saturday around five ish. Then I dropped in on my pals at Panini because they had an awesome three story setup that was about a mile away from us but also in downtown Indy. So Saturday night I was not going to go to the dunk contest or the three point contest. I was going to watch all that on TV. Your wonderful hotel had a McCormick and Schmick's restaurant attached to it. Saturday night, I go in there to meet my friend Lou, who is an Indianapolis resident, not in the business. Just went to meet him for a nice quick bite. And what what do I see? Who do I find the Chuckster? Because the Chuckster was not on any of the Saturday night broadcasts. He was all suited and booted. He did something Saturday pregamer in the afternoon. But I ended up in the same place with the Chuckster for a few hours. Nice, completely bonus bonus evening with Charles Barkley, which was great theater. And Sunday morning got to hang out with you. We had our nice interview with Chris Finch.
Speaker 3: Yeh hit.
Speaker 1: I hit Saint Elmo's three times. The over under was two. I got to Saint elmos Steakhouse three times, three three shrimp cocktails I got.
Speaker 3: I got there. I got there Thursday night. I was able to get in and those shrimp cocktails. I didn't try it, but my wife is a big shrimp connoisseur, so She tried it and staring it completely cleared her sinuses up. She started coughing, eyes getting watery. What is it though, horse radish is That's what?
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, Perry, spicy horse radish sauce glorious, the best shrimp cocktail in the United States. Had it three times tremendous. Also found a great coffee place in Indianapolis, Tinker Coffee. Went there every day, do some work, did some writing. So yeah, I had. And let me tell you this Friday, it snowed. It was freezing Friday, it was cold, still cold Saturday, it was still cold Sunday. And I did not have the proper winter gear with me. But I'll tell you what, I still loved it because today in Dallas, we're taping this on Monday nights in Dallas. Today, on this Monday, the temperature hit ninety one degrees at DFW Airport. Scandalous. It's it's till February, so give me that winter weather all day long. It's gonna be ninety again Tuesday. Ridiculous. It's not even March yet.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, crazy, you're crazy. Man, you're crazy.
Speaker 1: Give me that, give me give me the snow crazy talk all right, let's get to the basketball. We are into the final third of the season. Now, common misconception is that the All Star break represents the first half. No, not in the NBA. There are exactly twelve hundred and thirty games in an NBA regular season. Amazingly, this season, eight hundred and twenty were played before the All Star break, exactly sixty six point seven percent of the season, exactly one third remaining when we resume play last Thursday. I think the thing we can say definitively when you look at the standings, I mean, the battle for seedings remains feverish in both conferences. In the West, it goes all the way down to ten. Five to ten is an almighty jumble. In the East, the drama really is more. It's probably more two to six ish, although look, Miami and Orlando aren't far off as well. They're still I guess it's two to eight in the East. But I think the one thing we can say for sure in either conference, you look at the Boston Celtics have clearly established themselves as the best team in the East. I would still argue that the Denver Nuggets, the defending champions, are the most feared team in the West. On this Monday night, the Nuggets are only third in the West, Minnesota and Oklahoma City a game and a half ahead of Denver and the Clippers a game behind. But I think based on pedigree, based on the way Jokic is playing, we have to say that the Nuggets are still the favorites to come out of the West. But let's start with the East. Who do you like the best to possibly upset Boston? Who who is the biggest threat to the Celtics. The Celtics have a seven and a half game lead over number two Cleveland. Is it the Calves? Is it Number three Milwaukee? The Bucks have had a couple of big wins here lately. If the Knicks get healthy, are they actually the foremost threat to Boston in the East? If Philadelphia can get Joelle and bead back, are the Sixers the foremost threat to Boston in the East? Producer Ryan he can I think he can guess who you're gonna say, But just for.
Speaker 3: Case, why is that?
Speaker 1: Why is that because we know there's one team in the East, in particular that you are on the record as saying you do not miss any of their games. So that's my.
Speaker 3: Pers There's a handful of teams where I don't miss any of their games, but Milwaukee is one of them for sure. But I'm yes, you're correcting this this time, this instance, you're correct, I'm going with Milwaukee. I like what Doc Rivers is doing over there. I know he got off to a slow start, but he's slowly but surely implementing his style of play. And one thing I do know is that I believe what day is this Monday? So last week sometime, I know that he doing a practice session or a shoot around or whatever. He went individually, play by player and went to them and told them what he wants them to do and told them what he doesn't want them to do. He's clearly defining roles and for a lot of these guys, they're now being asked to do things that that they were not doing. You know, in the Adrian Griffin era, you know some guys who probably had a longer rain to do whatever. It's over now and there's some then there's the other players that they're asking for them to do more, and they're telling players this guy should be doing more. So you know they're getting into that. This is Doc Rivers right now, if you look at the way they've been playing over the last couple of games, you can definitely tell that they're doing things differently. The offense is is moving better. Defensively since Doc Rivers has taken over, they are six in defensive ratings, so you know they are they are getting better there. And I just like the trajectory in which they are headed, and so no, they're not. I don't think any team is going to catch Boston for say, you know, before the conclusion of the regular season, But if there's a team that has a legitimate shot and knocking him off in the postseason, I'm going to Milwaukee because I think they have the most upside because all the changes that they're making and it's it's almost like this is a new team. And so that's that's why in Philly, I mean, you could say Philly could argue for Philly with Jorlan bid coming back, But will he be healthy once once he comes back?
Speaker 1: Is he coming back? We still don't have official We assume he's coming back, but we don't.
Speaker 3: Know for sure. I think he will. I don't have any concrete evidence, but I think he will come back. But I just wonder. You know, he would have been set out for months, multiple months, Like, do you expect him just to come in and play at the MVP level he was playing that before the injury. I don't. I think that's hard. That's a that's a tall task for anybody to kind of live up to. But uh yeah, I Philly, they give themselves a shot. But no, out of all the teams in the right now, I give him Milwaukee as the favorites to have a shot to take down.
Speaker 1: Boston, I would probably have to echo that I was super high on Milwaukee coming into the season. We haven't really seen this team approach its ceiling yet, but I do think Doc Rivers is making a difference. Everyone focused on the three and seven start and how bad it was and all the comments that Doc was making. But you know, I do feel a need to say something about that because I think there's this perception that Doc Rivers was seeking out any reporter he can find to make excuses for the three and seven start, and that's really not the way it was. Now. His quotes, what he says, his words are his words, and some people don't like what he says. Some people don't think he's taking enough accountability. I'm not going to sit here and defend every word he has said about his time since he's become the Bucks coach, but I would just say, like, this is not Doc Rivers on a campaign because all of these instances, all of these quotes come from him taking questions from us. And I've said this as I've said this many times, but just to reiterate, in the modern NBA, the way media access has evolved, the coach talks more than anyone in the organization, more than the players, more than the executives. The coach talks a ton. And then, because of the Riley Rule, because Boston's coaching staff couldn't go to the All Star Game two years in a row, and the Bucks staff had to coach in the All Star Game, that had even more reporters chasing Doc Rivers and stacked more media availabilities into his schedule because at All Star he's got to do all these interviews. So I really think like most of this, most of the comments we've heard from Doc in recent days, it's because he's fielding questions about it. I mean, I the MAVs were in Dallas on February third, and I couldn't wait to try to corner Doc and get a few questions in. And when I talked to him, I asked him, I said, Doc, I mean, you realize that any team you coach at this point, it's championship or bust. Those are the expectations, and you're you know, he knows it. I don't think he's running from it. I think he understands that if the Bucks don't win, there's gonna be harsh criticism for him and for Giannis and for Dame and with me. Doc Rivers was, I thought, pretty open about it and pretty humble about it. He said, quote, that's a good thing. That means you've done a pretty good job as a coach where you go and people expect that team to win. That's been good for me, and that's bad for me. Teams that haven't won, then you get the blame for that, and that's okay. You've got to be willing to put yourself into that. So he knows he's under the microscope. And you know, again in our conversation, which was February third, he certainly wasn't running from it. But look, I like, I really like the Knicks went healthy, and I still have. I'm not writing Miami off either. I know the Heat have had a really up and down season, and now they're dealing with ninety five suspensions and you know they don't have their full team again. But you know, Miami is in seventh in the East as we're taping this, only a half game out of the sixth seed. I know you're gonna see the Heat this week in Denver.
Speaker 3: Well, see, I'm gonna see some of them.
Speaker 1: I think you will see Jimmy because he'll be back from the one game suspension. But I can't keep.
Speaker 3: Up with you. You're right, keep up with.
Speaker 1: How many guys you're gonna miss? How many other No? Jovis right? He is he he's the one you got the three gamer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he got three games? Correct.
Speaker 1: Thomas Bryant.
Speaker 3: Thomas Bryant three games? Yes, So Jimmy will be there. Cool cool TNT could keep the game.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I somehow, I still think they're going to factor into things by the end of the season. I know they've been very up and down.
Speaker 3: Of course, I mean, yeah, of course. Don you always expect the Miami Heat to be there when it's all said and done, even if they are a seventh or eighth seed going into the playoffs. Therefore, you saw what they did last year.
Speaker 1: Like this Knicks team was so good in January after getting og Anobi. I mean they went fifteen and two after that trade. But now we just don't know is Julius Randall coming back? And Nnoby will come back at some point, but are they getting Julius Randall back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the that's key right there. Julius came up. When did Julius come on our pod? Was that in January?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Before before the All Star Game?
Speaker 3: Okay, before the All yes, right before the All Star Game. Yeah. I mean, he's just so confident and he's you know, he's so comfortable, I should say, and playing in New York now, which we all know that is a hard market to perform at with all the expectations. But so, you know, I definitely feel sorry that he had to go down with his injury. Now he's losing rhythm and you don't have a chance to play in the All Star Game as well. So I'm hoping, you know, I'm hoping all these teams getting healthy, can't get healthy so we can see them at full fours come playoff time.
Speaker 1: All right, well, what about the West? If you agree with my claim that Denver has to be the favorite to win the West? And I think they deserve that. And look, Yoki, which has been the dude is playing basketball from another planet since he returned from the All Star Break, the first player in NBA history to record at least eighty points, fifty rebounds, and forty five assists over a three game span, just the second in history, the first since Wilt Chamberlain way back in March of nineteen sixty eight before I was born. So Jokich is on an absolute heater. But who do you like in the West? Who is the team that should have Denver the most concerned? Is it Minnesota? Is it Oklahoma City? Is it the Clippers? Is it one of these teams in the jumble from I mean five to ten, Sacramento, Phoenix, New Orleans, Dallas, Lakers, Warriors? Who should Denver be the most worried about?
Speaker 3: Let me say this, and I haven't said this about this team in four maybe five years, I don't know, just because they've always feel short due to injuries. But it's looking like Stein. It's looking like this team that I'm about to mention it's looking like they might have it together. It's looking like injuries could be a thing of the past, or at least, you know, at least some somewhere close to that. Los Angeles Clippers. I think if they finally go into the postseason healthy, which they've never done, you know, in this Kawhi Paul George Err, they're a threat. They are a serious threat. And it's hard, like, even with me saying this, it's hard for me to fully commit to that because of just what we've seen in recent years, you know, a recent time with this team, something seems to always happen. But stein they're playing good, they're playing really good basketball right now. They are you know, they got the same amount of losses as the Nuggets. They played two less games then the Nuggets. They're right there. I mean, they have a shot to take over, you know, at two and a half games behind the Timberwolves, who had a number one seed in the Western Conference standings. But to your point, Dener, Nuggets are my favorites now, are they?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: I think it's a little bit more parody in the West than it is in the East. I would say it's Boston Celtics. And then you know there's a little bit of a gap as of right now and that team after that gap, I will probably say Milwaukee. But over here in the West, you know, I still got Denver. But you know you got teams right there. You know, I don't want to dismiss Minnesota, don't want us dismiss OKAYC. But Stein, I just I think there's something to be said about teams having some postseason success before we anoint them to that next tier of elite teams. And you know, most times teams have to go through the rigors of facing disappointment in the playoffs before they reached that hunk. Maybe not maybe Okay, maybe this is okay C's year, Maybe this is Minnesota's year. I don't know. I'm not not your nostra Damas, but right now, you know I'll echo what you stated already about Denver for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, remember when Chris Finch sat with us in Indianapolis. You know, I brought up how the Timberwolves as a franchise in thirty four seasons, they've won all of two playoff series, both in two thousand and four when they went to the conference finals, so twenty years ago. The only year that the Wolves even won a series. They won two with the with Kevin Garnett's best team made it to the West Finals. And you know, Chris Finch was like, really, I had never heard that, obviously, being here's that every day.
Speaker 3: So what was that Againsteine? So because I'm trying to because I remember when you said that to Finch and I was kind of looking at you strange. So how did you say it again? What did how did you say it to Finch?
Speaker 1: In thirty four prior seasons of Minnesota Timberwolves basketball, this franchise has only won two playoff series and they were both the same year. Twenty years ago. Spring of two thousand and four, the Wolves made it to the West Finals. KG your guy Spree, Will Sam Cassel, great tough team, the best team of cag he ever had. Yep, and they have not won a playoff series in twenty years. So yeah, okay, they they they have to prove it in the postseason as great as their regular season has been. And again, as we're taping this, the Wolves are forty and seventeen, one of only two teams in one of only three teams in the league with forty wins. But yeah, both Minnesota and Oklahoma City have to prove it on the big stage.
Speaker 3: So Stein, So I'm glad you repeated that because when you said it like that, when you phrased it like that to Finch, I was looking at you a little crazy because when you said that there's only two what two teams? Only twice since whatever advanced advanced to win a series. I was just thinking, I'm like, hold on, nah, they did. They did this a few years ago. And the memory of pet Bab jumping on the scorer's table and crying, I was like nah. So I was tripping up, like nah, because I was just about I was about to interject. I'm like, Stein, are you sure that didn't hit me off? That was a play I swear I forgot. You're just thinking that moment, you know, he's busting out cry jumping on the scores table.
Speaker 1: That's how bleak it's been in Minneapolis. And that's why we're probably gonna get an email from our boss, Scott Shapiro when he hears this podcast, and he will not be happy that we have discussed the Timberwolves playoff history in such painful detail. But it's true and just look, you know again, we're recording this before Miami, a very shorthand in Miami is just getting started at Sacramento in Monday night's late game, so we do not have that score yet. But as we stand as we're doing this pod, the playing teams in the West, the Pelicans at number seven, the MAVs at number eight, the Lakers at number nine, and the Warriors at number ten. So just the playing round in the West is going to be great. I mean, if it stayed this way, just think about it, Zion Williamson, Brandon Ingram CJ McCollum, Luka, Doncic, Kyrie Irving, Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Stephen Curry, all in the playing round, if it stays the way it is right.
Speaker 3: Now, it's going to be fine regardless, even if you know, even if these scenes change a little bit, move up, move down pretty much, I think I feel confident that those teams will be in the equation. Like I don't see like the bottom let me see the bottom five teams, which are Jazz, Rockets, Grizzlies, Blazers, and Spurs. I don't see them moving into the top ten.
Speaker 1: So that's regardless, I think in the in the West, We've got our ten. Yeah, we've got our ten that it will at least be in the playing round. And you know what, in the East, really the only doubt now is I mean, Brooklyn's been going in the wrong direction for ages. But Toronto now, by virtue of Trey Young and this injury that's gonna knock Trey Young out for a month, Toronto could move past Atlanta for number ten. That's really I think the only mystery in terms of top ten in the East. But you know, the Warriors also made news the Warriors have extended Steve kerrz contract two year deal, two extra seasons worth thirty five million. I've believed all season this was going to happen. I didn't think there was any doubt, and you know what, I still believe that they're going to find a way to get a new deal done with Klay Thompson as well. Clay is now the only member, the only holdover from the Glory days now whose future is not secure. Draymond Green has a new contract, Stephen Curry and Steve kerr both have contracts that are aligned now that go for two more seasons together. So really it's just the Clay mystery. I do think in the off season they're going to find a way. I think they're going to find common ground on a new deal because I just look, there have been rumbles that Orlando is interested in Clay. Certainly, the LA teams are always going to be mentioned as a potential destination for Clay Thompson because of his Southern California high school past. But I just I think Clay wants to be a Warrior start to finish. And I think the Warriors key stakeholders, the other ones, Curry Kerr, Draymond Green, Joe Lacup, I think they all want Klay Thompson to finish as a Warrior. And somehow, I'm not saying there won't be changes to the Warriors roster in the off season, but somehow, I just think they will find a way to get a new deal done with Clay.
Speaker 3: Being that we're recording this February twenty sixth, I would agree with you and say I would think somehow, someway they will work out a deal. But I will be remiss if we didn't mention that Clay is now coming off the bench. I just did their game. I came off of their game last week, but was that it was the Warriors and Lakers. Warriors and Lakers, and Clay came off the bench that game. I believe that was a second game coming off the bench. Didn't have a good shooting night. But you just gotta wonder throughout this season, like it's Clay gonna find a rhythm because they're sticking with that lineup. Is Clay gonna find a rhythm off of the bench. I know its first game, he exploded, went off, first game off the bench. But is this something he's gonna accept embrace, not just for this season but next season if he were to resign, so things can change, is basically what I'm saying. But as of right now, Yeah, it's hard to believe that Clay will be playing in a different uniform next season.
Speaker 1: And look, yeah, I don't think he loves coming off the bench. I guess.
Speaker 3: Take hold on, stein stein, hold on, hold on, take the think remove think remove, think you don't think remove it.
Speaker 1: I'm quite sure that Clay is not fond of coming off the bench. I get it, but I just struggle to imagine him wanting to go somewhere else. I just I'm look, I haven't talked to Clay about this. I haven't talked to Clay in ages about anything, so this is just my read from far away. But it's just it's hard for me to imagine him wanting to be elsewhere. And yeah, this is a season of major adjustment. He's adjusting to a new role. And I guess we'll see, I mean, like you said, I guess we'll see over time how he really feels about things. But it's just I am still struggling to imagine a scenario in which he's angling to go somewhere else because that means he can start again. It's just hard for me to picture.
Speaker 3: I talked to Brandon Poziski, who who is now starting in Clay's place, and I asked him about, like, what's been the dynamic since you've entered the starting lineup, you know, between you and Clay, And he said it is awkward. He said it's awkward because he understands, you know, what Clay means to this team and the run that they had. But he said Clay has been supportive. He said, he's you know, helping him, you know, sharing with him where he should be at on both ends of the court in different sets, you know, they do play together. They still play together, you know, in the rotations that they use. And he said, Clay has made it cla feeding the ball, like get me the ball, like when I'm in there, So Clay is looking to shoot, shoot that bad boy when when he gets in so and I think that's a positive for Clay right there is just the fact that you know, you could come in gun slinging even more now. So, uh, it's going to be an adjustment period for sure. But that's just something that I will continue to monitor throughout this season.
Speaker 1: Brandon Pajemski came on this pod to fuel his bid for a spot in the Panini Rising Stars Game, and he he got more than that. He got a starting job after coming on this pod.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, there you go. I got the interview.
Speaker 1: Will he get that elusive spot on the all Lefty team though, that is the question.
Speaker 3: That's a tough You gotta you know what you gotta do. You got to open up more ross with spots.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought of a way to add one that would be the easiest to just say all Lefty Rookie of the Year. And if I do that, he's got he's got a real chance.
Speaker 3: Now that's a nice one. Yeah, Lefty Rookie of the Year, that's a nice one. There you go.
Speaker 1: Stein, Yeah, I'm trying to I'm trying to be I'm trying to be more open minded.
Speaker 3: And that is a and Stein. Yes, yes, you know why I like that, Stein, because I'm always urging excuse me, I'm always urging you and encouraging you to extend to the youth. That's why I be telling you to come into these locker rooms and come meet some of these young guys. You'd be like, nah, I want to go in the locker room. But you know what this Lefty New Lefty award that I advocate for, that is a way to have your foot in the door and reaching out to the youth. And this could be something that each lefty when they're in college and high school, you know, they dream. You know, there are certain steps you have to have to be a not to be, not to be, but there's certain steps you that people that want to be high lottery picks that they want to achieve. One is, you know, be a McDonald's All American. The other one going to a top flight college D one college lately is being Kentucky. You go there and start there. You definitely going hit the lottery. Next on their list needs to be if you're lefty, to make the get Rookie of the Year and to make Stein's Lefty Rookie of the Year award list. So think about it.
Speaker 1: Stein, I'm always thinking about the All Lefty team. It's a twenty four to seven three sixty five process. It will be announced in August. You'll have to wait to August to see what we to see what the committee of one decides.
Speaker 3: You know what, we should make this a bigger deal. We need to have an award show. I don't think anybody would show up, but we need to have an award show. Just put it live.
Speaker 1: We can do that in a Yeah, you can do it in August. So you're going to Denver this week? Where does Denver rank on your favorite cities list?
Speaker 3: Oh? Here, you trying to get me in trouble star. You have to trying to get me in trouble Listen. Not only am I going to Denver this week, I got two more Denver games next week.
Speaker 1: We were just in Indianapolis, a great former ABA city, and now you're going to Denver, another great former ABA city. I love the ABA stot we only have. There are only four, so I mean I love to go to these places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well really.
Speaker 1: There are only three because the nets weren't in Brooklyn when they were in the ABA. So it's like going to Denver, going to Indiana, going to San Antonio. That's the last links to the glorious ABA. You should be pumped.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I'm find that you have such a such a passion for your ABA history. But as far as we're Denver ranks on my favorite stops, it really doesn't rank. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: You at least have a director of light come on Sacramento to Denver camp direct.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I have a direct flight and it is nothing. Again. The people are cool, The people hell are cool. I just you know, for a brother like me, I'm not doing no snowing, no surfing. You know, I ain't doing no skiing, no no sky diving. That's not for me. Those sports are not not for me. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Star, Who are you on the game? Who are you on the game with? Thursday night?
Speaker 4: Thursday night I am with is Miami at Denver. It is Kevin Harlem, Reggie Miller and myself and then start again. I told you I'm going to Denver. I got three straight Denver games.
Speaker 3: So the week after that Phoenix at dem On Tuesday, and then that Thursday, Boston at Denver. So it's it's some good games.
Speaker 1: I'm a lot in your life. NBA potential NBA Finals preview Boston at Denver.
Speaker 3: For sure, I could listen. Listen. Mike Malone is one of the best. Man, that's my guy. I messed with Mike Malone. Yeah, it's just you know, it's Denver. Aside from that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and you are hard to please.
Speaker 3: I'm good man. Nothing Listen. I know I'm gonna get hate. See, I know I'm gonna get Listen. Why do y'all gotta hate people who if they don't, you know, if if your city is not one of their favorite stops, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't hate the city of Denver. I don't. It's history there. Like you said, you know, I'll find something to do.
Speaker 1: All right before we go. Is there anything else you want to get off your chest?
Speaker 3: Yes? I do, Starr, thank you for asking and listen. This part of the section. I think we need to have our social team clip. This put it out because I need the people's involvement on this. I need to know if what I'm about to share with youall need to know if my friend was out of pocket or not. Was was NERVs Ryan and I look right now, Well that's that's fine. This is the podcast. We can always delete, but I don't think we don't think we'll be deleting any of this. This is uncut, This league uncut, right, So anyway, start let me tell you this story. Everybody listen to me. Let me know if my friend is out of pocket or not, because I believe he is, so y'all. As y'all know, I'm in two basketball leagues. My Saturday league is the Filipino League I'm in, and then on my Sunday league, it's a Sacramento Recreational Recreation league. Right, So my Sunday Recreation league, I've been playing with a group of guys who invited me onto their team. I've been playing with them for three seasons. Three seasons. Now, remember these seasons. These are these seasons last two months and then they take two weeks off and start the season back over. So it's not it's not like three years, but three seasons I've been playing with these guys and they are a group of they are they are all friends. So I'm on their team, right, But we've always come up short. You know, we get to the final four and we lose. Final four, lose, final four, lose. As you know, Stein, I don't like losing. That's not me. So you know what I said. You know what I'm recruiting. So I have a friend, a childhood friend. His name is Aaron Hayes. We grew up together in Fresno. He lives here in Sacramento. He played we played college ball together. He went and had a Hall of Fame overseas career. In Korea. He's the number one all time scoring import in Korean Basketball League history. He's six ' eight. So I said, I'm gonna get Aaron on my team and we're gonna kill this league. Okay, Stein for this season, That's what I did. I got Aaron on our team. We're undefeated with Aaron Plaine. Okay, now, let's get to it. Let's get to it. I'll give you all the context. I gave you the background. So yesterday Aaron couldn't make it. We lost. So I text Aaron. I said, hey, we lost the game, and I said, we lost our big man. He had a meniscus injury, so he's going to be out for the season. And remember my friend Aaron. He's only played about four games with us so far. And he hits me back with a response saying, okay, man, all right, Well, I got a friend that can replace him and he can help us out. Can we add anybody? I said, you know what, why don't you text Gerald? Gerald is one of the captains of the team. I said, text Gerald if you could add a guy, because I don't know if it's too late or not. You know what Aaron does? Stein and Ryan are producer, Ryan jumping him because I'm gonna need your input. Two, Aaron texts the team. He texted the team this is what he said, Hey, now that we have an injury, an injured player, can I bring on my friends? And so I'm like, hold on, I'm like, oh, so he text this to the team. I'm like, oh. I text Aaron back individually. I say, Aaron, hold on, bro, the guy just hurt himself, I said he. I said, he's on the court right now holding his knee and he's getting a text by you talking about can't you bring can you add another player? Since we got an injured guy? You ain't even say hey, man, sorry for your injury. Didn't there was nothing? And so Aaron responds back to me saying, so what that's what we're doing overseas. Somebody gets hurt and you just you just you just replace them. I said, bro, this is not overseas. This is a rec league that everybody paid for. And this is a team again, this is a group of guys that they've been playing like they're all friends, and I've come on to their team and I'm brought in my guy on their team. And now you're just texting this guy in the team chat about replacing them soon as he has a moniscus injury. So I asked you, guys, he didn't see nothing wrong with it. So I asked you guys, should he have like I told him, just text individually to one of the captains, asked if you can bring on a replacement or was he within his right to text in the group saying hey, now that we have an injured guy, can I bring my guy on to play with us?
Speaker 1: That will have to be classified as an international incident. He took.
Speaker 3: He took it to I agree. I agree. I'm like, how are you? How you going to the dude just suffer the meniscous injuries out for the season.
Speaker 1: What did the poor guy who got hurt say?
Speaker 3: He didn't respond, He didn't respond. Did anybody response, Yeah, they said, one of them said they'll look into it. It was just awkward, Ryan, What do you think, Chris?
Speaker 5: I gotta be honest. I think this is on you, my friend. Wow, you brought the guy. I think you brought the guy to the party. You gotta answer for his behavior. So if you bring a guy to a party and he makes a mess at the party, everyone's looking at you to answer for his behavior.
Speaker 3: Chris.
Speaker 5: You know, look, it's not fair.
Speaker 1: It's not fair. I did not see this reaction coming. Yeah, producer Ryan, who has never spoken an ill word about either of us in thirteen months of podcasting. But that was a strong take, and I think I'm gonna have to agree with him.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay, Well it.
Speaker 5: May not be fair. You may not like it, but you brought you brought him in and he stepped out of line.
Speaker 1: Now it is also on him.
Speaker 3: He did step out line.
Speaker 5: Huh Yeah, I mean yeah, guys down on the ground. His season just said.
Speaker 3: I told I gave him instructions. Hit the captain up individually, not in the team. And if you and even if you're going to ask in the team group text, at least extend your condolencens Hey, bro, I'm sorry to hear this, but you know what I mean. At least do that part right. He just jumped in and said, hey, since we have a guy injured that can't play, could I bring in my guy?
Speaker 1: But you know what, ryanes the same way as you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we spelled the same exact way. No no relation. Our families grew up together though, no relation.
Speaker 5: But yeah, let's listen when you when you want to start hiring mercenaries, the work gets dirty, it does, I think the ramifications of the game you're trying to play.
Speaker 3: But you know what, Ryan is worth it because we're undefeated when he plays. But it's just I got I gott so I told him I was going to bring him up on this pod. So, uh, I said, I'm gonna get some feedback. I want to know. I would to. I want to see if I'm not if I'm wrong for thinking you out of pockets. I think you were out of pocket, buddy. So that's all. Yeah, y'all let me viewers, Twitter, Instagram, whatever, let me know is Aaron Haynes out of pocket for what he did? I gave him clear.
Speaker 1: I think what Ryan is saying is the question should be, is this Chris Hanes not on Aaron Haynes. I think that's what the question.
Speaker 3: Needs to be. Well, listen, I will say this, even if my team felt some type of way by that text, we're not cutting them. No, nobody's gonna be. Nobody's gonna be in a favor of cutting them.
Speaker 1: Maybe you should send a private text to the captain saying, hey, I'm really sorry, I'm going to have a talk with you.
Speaker 3: What about Yeah, maybe what about the poor guy that's injured? Does he deserve a text?
Speaker 1: He deserves more than a text, He deserves a selfie with you, maybe some Twitter love?
Speaker 5: You know, now that I think about, how long has it been? When did this all go down?
Speaker 3: This could just happen over the week just happened over the weekend, Yes, so, but it's it's been this.
Speaker 5: It's Monday, almost almost three days, you know, by by tomorrow morning too, and he still hasn't said anything. You can't say anything now.
Speaker 1: What happened in the game without Aaron? Why couldn't Chris Haynes carry the squad to victory?
Speaker 3: I scored twenty one. But it's just, you know, when you used to having Now that we got Aaron on the team, we're used to playing at a certain level. Now we don't have to do certain things, you know, you know, you just get used to playing like like the Sixers. You see what the Sixers are going through right.
Speaker 1: Now, so you're Tyrese Maxie just trying to keep them afloat.
Speaker 3: It's different. It's different. We run everything. Our offensive sets, our defensive sets are running through Aaron, and we don't have them. We're kind of lost.
Speaker 1: In your advanced age. What you're saying is you need to play off an elite big to maximize your skills.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think so. I mean I could still get it done on certain nights style I don't don't. Don't sleep on me. But you know, we we just were not ready yesterday. That's all. We lost by six, so we still could have won the game. We came back. I wasn't mad because this is a season where we got airing. Now I don't care if we go into the playoffs as the third fourth to fifth seed, we're the most dangerous third fourth, fifth seed in this playoffs. We're good, We're the favorites. We're the favorites periods.
Speaker 1: Are not worried any footage anywhere for us to look at.
Speaker 3: I would have Footage'm gonna start. I'm gonna start. Uh, I'm gonna start documenting, you know, video documenting these games, because it's serious around here.
Speaker 1: You could at least send it in our group chat, just so Ryan and I can look at it and scout you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll do that. But I don't have no problem showing the world stile. I don't have anything to hide. But that's just funny.
Speaker 1: Like the media All Star Game ever, coming back.
Speaker 3: We gotta do. I think we have to. Wife has been on me about putting it together. We have to, and I think I want to do because remember I had you know, we had real broadcasters, right. I don't know if you're familiar with that game, man, it was a pretty it was well done. Really, you know, we had we had those I don't know what you call those cameras that that fly in the air, go from drones, like we had those type of camera drones like going right to left and just we had all type of aerial footage. It was. It was great, man, it was really well put together. But no, we we gotta do that for sure. I got to are you going to be a part of broadcast at least time? Because I'm pretty sure you're not.
Speaker 1: If you organize it, I will not miss it. I promise.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll do that. We'll do that. We'll do that, We'll do that. It was just really convenient that time because I was the finals were in the was in the bay and I was standing in the bay. But uh, we can no excuses. We can put it together anywhere.
Speaker 1: All right. I think that's gonna do it for this edition of this League Uncut. We will get together one more time this week. Not exactly sure when that is because Chris has the trip to Denver. We're gonna have to work around that, but we will figure it out and we will have another episode for you before weeks. And great to be back after a very good trip to Indianapolis. Always good when we can hang out together. But man, some when are we gonna see Ryan? When are all three of us going to be somewhere I never.
Speaker 3: I don't know how tall Ryan is. I don't know how big and wide he is. I've never seen the guy in person, have you star?
Speaker 1: Now that you mentioned we know this is not an AI.
Speaker 3: We know this is not a AI.
Speaker 1: Because of that last scalding take he just gave when you were trying to put three two one, When you were trying to pin all this on your new teammate and producer, Ryan said no, the bunk stops first with you, Chris Haynes. That's when we knew this was not an AI generated producer.
Speaker 3: Well, you would think so, Stan, But these Ais, they're very creative. Nowadays, they're trying to take over jobs to Stein, so I wouldn't put it past them. If these Ais can get producer jobs as.
Speaker 1: Well, nobody can replicate this podcast. Nobody, All right, that will do it.
Speaker 3: He has a nice beard. I give it.
Speaker 1: Podcast by making him turn his camera.
Speaker 3: Look at him. He cut thember, he had the whole he had the baby face not too long ago. Now you got a full beard back. It don't take long at all. He's out of control. He's out of control. Now.
Speaker 1: You know way more about producer Ryan Music than you ever thought you would or ever wanted to. I am going to put this edition to bed. Please remember follow us rate review wherever you get your podcasts, Apple, Spotify, you know what to do. We would love to get a five star rating from you, and we would love for you to join us again when we're back later this week with another edition of This League Uncut. For Chris Haynes, I'm Mark Stein and producer Ryan Music. For both of them, allow me to say farewell and we'll be back with you again to see and that'll do it for us.
Speaker 2: See you next time. This League Uncut is and iHeartRadio production
Speaker 3: Christine and Marks Time