Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contains spoilers for episode two, season two of Daredevil Born Again. If you weren't Hello, my name is Jess and I'm Rosey Night and welcome back to x Ray Vision of the podcast where we dive its your favorite Jos movie kind of a pop cult company by our podcast. We're already their episodes.
Speaker 2: Week plus news on Saturdays today, though it's not news unless you're talking about the bab Report because she will be involved in Yeah.
Speaker 3: What is she doing? Baby? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: This is our episode two Dared Devil recap and conversation, so we will be bringing in super produced Aaron after we have recapped this action packed episode. And guys, just so you know, today we are recapping episode two. Tune in tomorrow for our recap of episode three when you have also watched him. As we know, both came out at the same time, but you both won an in depth version of both, which is why we have two episodes.
Speaker 1: We open right after the fight Cherry, who has suffered at least one heart attack, possibly two.
Speaker 3: How doing.
Speaker 4: Not doing well? He's doing well.
Speaker 1: Weel that to the ambulance. Dared Devil is watching from the rooftops. You'd think by now the cops would not to have a helicopter scanning the rooftops, but they don't know. And Daredevil is watching the body bags of the definitely deceased.
Speaker 2: They got the balls, I got him, it's not They do not know who Matt Murdock is. I know it seemed like at the end he may have been unmasked, but.
Speaker 3: No, they're all dead. Benjamin got them.
Speaker 1: Fist bump for football's eye. Good job. Dex goes to church. He's looking for sister Maggie and you're thinking to kill her to do what but look, thankfully she's in Rome on sabbatical and Dex asks the priest there for absolution. Meanwhile, Fisk, who has a boxing match coming up by.
Speaker 2: The way, Like, did we miss this from season one? I feel like or is this the first introduction? Please tell me, guys, there's so much content, but I love this. He's got like a celebrity style Jake Pool esque boxing. Yeah, it's going on, and he has to train for it to tell the people he's the real mayor or something.
Speaker 1: So he's he's working up for it, like you know, time is money, So he's getting briefings on this recent Daredevil task Force incident while he is training with his guy and he gets the update it's Cherry's in the hospital. We have four dead task Force members, and probably Bullseye helped Daredevil. He's Fisk's boxing coaches like, hey, like, you we got serious. I don't like this. I don't like the way you're the dedication. You gotta show some dedication. You're just like doing Mayor stuff. The whole deal is like, you're gonna strap the Mayor stuff while you're here with me, And so Fisk throws him across the gym through a mirror.
Speaker 2: I'm this is really I know we knew this from last season, but this matter is like beyond any help. Like not that we thought that was gonna be a redemption arc, but he's pasted even just like being able to be Mayor. Like, you can't just be throwing people into a mirror when you're still pretending to be like a useful member of society.
Speaker 3: Come on, my guy, who's gonna teach you? Now?
Speaker 2: Who's gonna teach your boxing before this important boxing match that you're doing.
Speaker 3: For some reason.
Speaker 1: Later on, Matt and Karen catch up and he's like, yeah, I think Dex is toying with me to punish Fisk. Now, Karen is very very eager to see the Kingpin's downfall like happen as quickly as possible, so she's.
Speaker 4: Kind of like, maybe this is good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Matt is like, I gotta go look for the first mate from the Northern Star, who is still out there in the streets somewhere at the Agan Gardens Greek restaurant, task Force arrests the owner, whose name we still do not know, and I will say that I love it, Yes, please, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, they gotta be doing this because they want us to think she's related to Electra, because otherwise they just.
Speaker 4: Why are they keeping interesting?
Speaker 1: That's a good that's I I'd not thought of that, But I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that take.
Speaker 3: I feel like they want us to feel mysterious about huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I will also say like I'm completely and continuously staggered by like how this show is not pulling any punches with regards to what's going on like in the real world. At the same time, they've done some very smart things, such as all the illegal immigrants that are being hunted by the Task Force. White continuing on they're Greek Greek to break.
Speaker 3: It's like what they did with john Wick.
Speaker 2: Right. The part of the reason the first John Wick movie had such a huge impact is in the past, movies like that often would be like a white solo lone person, whether it's like Peppermint or something or death Wish, you know, and they show black people or people of color, and it becomes while you may enjoy the cathartic nature of the vengeance story, it can become very racist.
Speaker 3: John Wick moved that by.
Speaker 2: Having it be a person of color as the righteous killer and then all white Russian people, and it made it may way more palatable.
Speaker 3: And I feel like here they've done it.
Speaker 2: In their own way to kind of let people once again shrug off any real things that they may notice reflected in the plot.
Speaker 1: Buck makes a suggestion, Boss, why don't you tell the city that Matt murder because Daredevil and Fiscus like that. I don't know, we have this weird psycho Scenn.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't. You wouldn't get it. Buck, We have a thing.
Speaker 1: It's like a very deep thing, and he saved my life and that's what you gonna do.
Speaker 5: I no, Buck, I can't do it. Not even Vanessa. I don't even talk about that way.
Speaker 1: Vanessa Fisk makes a statement to the city.
Speaker 3: Actually incredibly good plan. This is a plan.
Speaker 1: It's just like he it's he subverts what you would think of him. Very canny, guys, Jesus, Matt, Matt Burdock is alive, the hero, Matt Burdock is alive.
Speaker 3: He risked his life save me.
Speaker 5: But now he's being targeted by the villainous masked villain Bullseye and other vigilanities. Help me find him and break him to safety.
Speaker 1: Very smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then immediately Matt and Karen realized that that MCU disguises on and off and that has this great show of him with his low hood and sunglasses like a fuck, like I gotta.
Speaker 3: Get back in the house.
Speaker 1: We get a new BB report, a man on the Street report, and people really, really really think Dared Devil did the shipwreck, which is not necessarily you know, there's a grain of truth in it.
Speaker 3: But he did not do this. Yes, was was he the one who blew it up?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: It was a terrorist attack, yes, by Wilson Fisk. But was a terrorist attack but Devil.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But I also am loving the way that they're using these BB reports as essentially like propaganda because we haven't really seen I'm not saying that they don't represent like a certain segment of To.
Speaker 1: Me, it's an important measure that Fisk is, Fisk does have support. It's not like he's unpopular.
Speaker 2: No, But what I love is that the BB report only shows people who support Fisk. Yes, you know, so that's a really interesting way of using like a kind of I guess, like an influencer storyline in a way that we haven't necessarily seen on TV.
Speaker 1: Well like small sample size, But I think it's I just think it's notable, you know, like there's the man on the street. The person on the street is broadly supportive of Fisk. Stell Dan and Sheila discussed the anti Fisk social campaign, the Masked Fisk, the Wilson Fisk Report or whatever they call it. The person in the Fisk mask Dan is you know. Sheilla's like, have you talked to it about the mayor? And Dan's like, are you kidding? Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: He's gonna freak out. He hates that and he needs the masking.
Speaker 1: Dan says, let's just ignore it. That's the better way to go. Sheila says, well, you better trwly do him before he finds out. And then he comes to you and asks about it. And we discovered that the video contains security footage from the ship, which means that there's a leak in the Mayor's office. Someone is leaking internal intel from the Mayor's office to this Fisk report. Matt thinks Fisk is being smart, you know, like with the way he with the way he framed his announcement to the city, because now the resistance, the kind of broad, uh decentralized collection of anti anti Fisk forces, might not trust him. They might think that Matt is in league with them. Powell Officer Powell tells Fisk he's the taboo. He's upping Fisk's personal security. Now the bull's eyes on the loose, and Powell's like, I can't wait to take down Darryl.
Speaker 3: It is gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Coole is hanging around all scarred up after the fight from the previous season with Punisher and Daredevil, and he is like, get me back on the task force. I need it. I gotta have it. It's in my blood. I gotta have it.
Speaker 4: I need it.
Speaker 3: I gotta get out of there.
Speaker 4: Now, I love it. I love the task Force.
Speaker 1: Uh, the task Force comes to see Cherry basically to interrogate and intimidate him, but all the all the regular air quotes, the good cops, the older cops.
Speaker 4: Are there, including Detective Kim a Ka.
Speaker 1: She's luckily there are more cops now in New York to determ stuff and Andy doesn't have to handle every single investigation turns up. I'm always just like, I feel like she's not gonna get her due for just the sheer workloads that she has.
Speaker 2: Because now they're basically acting like there's always been a normal police force and that was no, it was just detective Kid.
Speaker 1: That was it. As the Task Force guys are kind of like chased out of there, they go down the elevator and Dex kills them.
Speaker 6: Hey, good job, we belive and he's back my job text in the group chat and I was like, wow, episode two is really unhealthily just validating my love.
Speaker 3: Of Decks because that in this situation we need to I'm like correct.
Speaker 1: So Powell goes to Cherry's room and Cherry's gone. Powell calls fist because like, Cherry's gone, our decks and the Resistance working together. Question is like no, no, no way, but he can't talk now because I have dinner with Dressa. Dan goes to Fisk's office. Fisk shows him pictures of the quote unquote car crash that killed Commissioner Gallo. Rip Commissioner Gallo, I know, like, oh yeah, this is how the car crashed to smash is it tiet?
Speaker 3: Like I'm sorry, guys, we saw you smash it with your habs.
Speaker 1: We know what happened. It's clear that you know. Fisk is making it clear to Dan without saying so that you know, like I killed Commissioner Gallo, which we know. Then Fisk shows Dan the video that you know, the Wilson Report videos that Dan has been trying to not show Wilson, and Dan is like, uh.
Speaker 4: You know, I beIN busy and does a lot of stuffuz has been gone on.
Speaker 1: Fisk then slips Bebie's bloody business card that chief that was found in Gallow's suit pocket from last year. I remember that for last year.
Speaker 4: Into Dan's pocket and basically.
Speaker 1: Is like, you know what is going on?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And Dan is like why you know I'm always protecting you because Fisks ask him like what is your Like, who do you? What is your who do you protect in this in in life?
Speaker 4: And he's like, I don't protecting you.
Speaker 1: Was a good answer. Buck brings Vanessa a selection of pretty little guns which she needs to guard herself from the Deck's threat. And we'll see if I mean good luck with that.
Speaker 2: I was going on with Vanessa this season, by the way, like I can't quite walk her out.
Speaker 3: She just saw around like she's just so out of it and around.
Speaker 1: She seems generally like not happy that she's just around and being sent away and being sent in there.
Speaker 3: I feel like she misses her role as a kind of class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's take a quick break while be read. Yeah, and we're right. The next day, the task Force members are moving cargo to the doc. Karen and Matt are watching from afar. Right now, it's just creates of diapers, but you know, at the right time, it'll be like guns and grades and all. Vanessa is like, why do you want to be mayor? I don't get it. You know, you were there, you were a crime boss and it was great and you had the whole city in your hand, but you you didn't have this public profile. You could do it in the shadows, Fisc is like, uh, well, I want to have an impact on the people, which you can't do as a crime boss, Like I want to. I want people to be inspired by the Fisk mission and you know, you know, first New York City, then the globe, and you know, who knows, who knows what? It felt like a doomsday tease, like a little bit a little multiverse tees.
Speaker 3: I also think as well.
Speaker 2: That after the conversation that he had, you know, with mister Childs Lost Week, where it was kind of this like, well, you're a small fish in a Biger pond than you realize, and that's kind of what he I feel like this made Wilson want to be more.
Speaker 3: Powerful, take over more.
Speaker 2: He's starting to see outside New York, but he thinks the only way to get that is by being like a maniacal politician. Hilariously, he could just be a super villain and probably do just as well.
Speaker 1: I think the thing that Wilson doesn't understand that matt understands is Wilson, You're very powerful. You're a street level guy, your small time like I and a very powerful small time guy. But the reason that Matthew Murdoch is giving you trouble is because you're a fucking small time guy exactly.
Speaker 2: Matt Murdoch like hangs out with like mutated Avengers, like he can he can call in the crew.
Speaker 1: Four foot ten nieces of former vigilantes.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, oh my god, I mean she doesn't fuck around.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Wilson get a grip. That night, the task Force begins moving the real boat stuff, the real guns, the real grenades, that all the hardware into the off the boat and somewhere into the city. Matt is like, I got I gotta suit up and stop this before you know, the guns get into the hands of the task Force or whoever. Angela del Toro, Nissa Lawhite Tiger, and her aunt Solodad are discussing Matt. They agree forget all that announcements from Wilson fisk I don't believe it. Matt's a good man, He's in the resistance. Angela is like, I want to do good in the world. They go into a bodega where there's like a trio of young neighborhood kids stealing shit. Solodad is like, don't do that. Put that up.
Speaker 2: I need to say right, I just need to say, solo, Dad, If you didn't get involved in this scenario, this definitely might not have happened. Now, I understand she was trying to be a good neighbor. She told the kids to put it back. She didn't want them to rope from him, but also she didn't want them to get in trouble.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah. Very respectable.
Speaker 2: But if you didn't do this, then the next thing probably wouldn't happen.
Speaker 1: Well, the bodego owner pulls a shotgun and is like, put it back. I want you to clear and everything up. Then the task force shows up. They start fucking going absolutely crazy, beating everybody over the head. They arrest so.
Speaker 4: Much duns the kids yes, and a near riot.
Speaker 1: Breaks out of the street as they take Soladan and Heather our good friend. Heather speaks it a dinner for a New York City's power Elite. This is the dinner that Fisk was going to. The Vanessa Vanessa comes. Vanessa comes up after the speech and is like, you and Matt, how'd you leave it?
Speaker 2: I know, dude, It's so funny because I know that she is basically just like, how about you could like, I know that what Vanessa was asking here was like, so like could you get back with him and like fuck around for this? But Vanessa, but Anna's just like, I just want to kill vigilantes, Like she's not ready to play the spy game.
Speaker 1: So Heather says, well, Matt really hates your husband, and Vanessa knows. And then Heather's like, but you know, of course he's dead. Rip to him that manah, he's dead. And she wants to know if the you know, was it the Punisher, was it Daredevil who killed him? You know, Heather is, as you said, very very anti vigilante. Now she's eager to get the vigilante trials rolling and outside Decks is like watching this whole conversation in the mcdee office, the D and D office, Murdoch and McDuffie, she's working late. She hears something.
Speaker 2: It's Angela, Oh, who, by the way, is more tiny than I ever remembered.
Speaker 1: Angela is like, they can't shoot her with the rest of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, she's so she is fuck your shit out, tiny figure.
Speaker 1: So she tells McDuffie that I need help. My aunt just got kidnapped. I hear you're taking all the pro Bono work in the city and then she looks. Angela looks over and is like, oh my god, is that like my uncle's white tiger suit and amulet.
Speaker 3: His giant sick like the piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, I want to see it. Meanwhile, Fisk, Uh, you know, we see that the poster for Fisk's actual boxing match, and it's called scrapping in the Kitchen too much.
Speaker 2: Also, if you're gonna call it that, you have to have it be Wilson fisk usus Matt my dog. I feel like at some point that was gonna be the battle. But obviously it's like hard to argue with the blind lawyer bit. But yeah, I thought that was really funny scraping in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Dan has BB over, and it's clear he thought this was gonna be a romantic baby a baby goes in for the kiss. She's like what he's like, and BB's like, I thought we were working on the b Report. I thought you're gonna help me with the Bby Report, because I don't know if you've I don't know if you've seen the BB Report, Dan, But that's a lot of editing and filming for one person, like I does BB have a crew like she's it's a crazy amount of it's it's a crazy amount of work.
Speaker 2: She's doing so much work free apartment like comes anape and eye on her, keep tip tips on her like this, you could be doing much better. Also, I love the dance like it could be could be a working a working dinner I made.
Speaker 1: I made some cock events it to get the wine. And uh, hey, are you seeing that the weird the mayor fisical videos coming from inside the office.
Speaker 4: I don't know where the you know the videos are coming. There's a leak in the armice.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm waiting about my computer.
Speaker 1: And uh it was a you biby And you know, if it is real, you should stop doing it.
Speaker 2: Because I got I gotta say I think again. I think the relationship between Dan and Biebe has actually been done to the point where it's like actually becoming a very interesting plot point because BB is actually very impressed by the fact that Dan spent the time to make this meal, didn't get it from an Italian restaurant, And you can feel those seeds of friendship are real and and this is I feel like when we're really starting to see Dan also show what his real priority is, which is bbe because he could have he knew it was her, he could have sold her out, and instead he just has this dinner with her and he's like just fucking.
Speaker 3: Stop, like do it. And then you know, Bibi goes, well he killed my uncle and he's like, don't.
Speaker 4: Fucking gall on it.
Speaker 1: I didn't go And Danny's like, no, what Burder what Moday.
Speaker 4: The best guy around, he's the mayor.
Speaker 1: What Fisk lets Sheila see the gallow accident photos as well, and the message is very clear as Yeah. At Josie's bar, Angie Kim and the old cops come through. Matt and Karen are hiding his side, and Cherry is hiding out there as well, and they'll meet up and talk about stuff. Another weirdo Fisk tape comes out, the Mayor Fisk tape. It it's like a red pill blue pill type thing, and we see shots the task force beating up people, kidnapping people off the street. And then and then we see after the actual video comes out, who is doing and it is BB's BB in the mask self taping and self editing. This is a lot of work.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you.
Speaker 2: First of all, the BB Report has got nothing on the Fisk Report. I love her meme style editing. I love her like edgy YouTube vibes. I would also say, like, I'm glad that they didn't draw this out because it was pretty clear it was Bobe, and I think if they'd have drawn it out later into the season, they would have had to reveal it was Dan or somebody else. I'm interested that again, this is a one woman BIB show, Like, this woman needs to become a social media manager for somebody because she is.
Speaker 3: Making videos like nobody else she's making.
Speaker 1: It's hours of work.
Speaker 3: It's so much work.
Speaker 2: And also, like I said, I'm very into the Fisk tapes. I think that they're a really cool use of her skill. I think that they are different enough from the BB Report that is a plausible deniability until she started using leaked info. Though, I will say it did give me one of my favorite moments, which is when it says dustedly do good across in the dead of a logo and he's kind of putting his hand out but yeah, it's baby, be careful boebe.
Speaker 1: Vanessa's dreaming. She's in Central Park Dex's hunting her, and she knows it's because of all the truly terrible things that she has done to Decks over the years. She wakes up. Thiscomforts her, and Vanessa's like, can't we just like leave all this and go live somewhere peaceful?
Speaker 2: One day She's like, we're so rich, Like we have so much art, we have so much stolen money, Like why aren't we just living somewhere else?
Speaker 1: Matt and Karen are having like the mirror of that conversation. Karen tells Matt she has no idea how to get him into Red Hook. It's way too dangerous. The task Force is crawling all over the place. Matt says, like, why don't we leave the city. And Matt's like, you know, if if if left the city, I'd missed my record albums and I'd missed you know, the Indian spot we go to and all this stuff. Karen puts on one of his favorite records and they dance, and then Matt hears something. It is the task Force outside Josie's with loud speakers, and Matt takes out the task Force guys so Josie can get out of there. Matt and Karen or just go ham on the cops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is like a cathartics do not give a shit. They fight together. We see that Karen has really been training as on that gummy you know, and she's been learning. Meanwhile, they get separated after this in the midst of like the chaos, Matt doesn't know where Karen is.
Speaker 1: Where it she. He's like yelling for her. But there's a rendezvous point, like a backup place where they meet after stuff, and she's there. She's fine, and Matt is relieved and she's like, I have to show you something. And then we go down in a basement. We figure out that the renezvous point is frank Castle's old basement.
Speaker 2: The way that they are teasing Frankness is just so much fun, Like they dude, They just keep being like, you know, who would be a help? Oh oh, now we're in his special place, Like we know what the how did he did he pay rent?
Speaker 4: Like five years in advance?
Speaker 3: How did I to work this?
Speaker 4: I thought?
Speaker 3: Didn't we work out? He was like walking as a janitor for the building.
Speaker 2: At some point like I am gone, Like maybe he handed the least to Karen.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, it's crazy and nobody comes down here anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, so they gotta say, though, that's the same as Karen and Matt's place, Like how many just maybe this is the outcome of a New York where every apartment five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's loads of abandoned building.
Speaker 1: Well, it seems that Madden Karen's place seems like a squat like it's it's abandoned, abandoned building, but through another building you have to get to it, whereas Frank's basement is like in an operational building. I don't anyway, I love it. She's got a task force. Now Karen has captured a task force guy and is like, look what. It's a very like pulp fiction type, you know, reservoir dogs type moment where Matt is like, what you fucking.
Speaker 4: Do the guy?
Speaker 3: This guy?
Speaker 1: And that's the end of it. Let's take a quick break and will welcome on to producer Eron to discussed this episode. Errah, Okay, welcome eron to the program. Another fantastic episode of the Born Again Daredevil program. The thing, here's what I love about it. I don't know about you too. It's it is really as ripped from the comics as you can get like all the like as gritty and ridiculous and fun as a comics plotline, like unashamedly pulled from the comics.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think that's actually going back to what we're talking about before the break, about the rent and the real estate and all that. The reason that we ask is because you have those moments. But for the most part, the suspension of this belief here is really high because they've created this kind of interior world within New York that you believe, sort of like John Wick in the Underworld, you know, we kind of believe that these people can just navigate New York in the dark, navigate parts of Hell's Kitchen, even though we know.
Speaker 3: That in real life is a very built up area.
Speaker 2: And you can't just be like secretly squatting in it as a wanted person who everyone in the world knows, but like you don't really mind because it does feel like a comic book. Aaron, what was your big takeaway from episode two?
Speaker 7: I mean, speaking of you know, pulling right from the comics, it's pulling right from real life too. And we've said that ye multiple times, so so many things there. I do want to hit on the real estate conversation. Yeah, Bibi, where you got that huge room that you're filming all these self tapes in? That is an enormous boiler room or something in the apartment. I don't know that that was. I don't know what I called out too.
Speaker 1: I will say she's she's clearly on a like a twenty four a wide lens twenty four to twenty eight. It will make a small room look bigger, so it might not be as big as it appears to be. I'll just say that, gods look like a boiler room. Again.
Speaker 2: I think I would love to know all these places they're hiding.
Speaker 1: She's probably in the basement of Gracie mansion doing this like that's kind of the implication.
Speaker 3: Right then you would do fucking sit.
Speaker 1: Right underneath their noses.
Speaker 7: That would be great. You talked about this a little bit, the mirroring storylines, and I'm not talking about Fisk throwing his trainer into the mirror. I'm talking about them doing the Matt and Karen in bed, Fisk and Vanessa in bed. You know, Fisk saying how many how many universes are there for me to conquer? And Matt and Karen having this deeply intimate conversation, both of them talking about why they want to stay in New York. And they also kind of had the same thing with you know, Bullseye. They had this They really introduced the blue light for him, both in the beginning at the church as well as when Vanessa wakes up and there's the blue flower next to her, and that whole whole scene is just like bathed in this blue that as opposed to Daredevil getting all these reds and stuff. So I thought that this was like the first time I felt like this show really had some kind of, you know, heavy cinematic feel to these kinds of bits, not the fights. They've always been so good at doing these action scenes, and this was the first time I felt like they were like, we got to focus on these interpersonal drama sections too to build you up to obviously these exciting action scenes.
Speaker 2: It definitely leans back into the more Netflix version, but it still brings more action and this kind of comic bookie fun that wasn't able to be had in those because they were meant to be grounded.
Speaker 3: But you, I agree, are in that cinemagic moment. Also, the whole.
Speaker 2: Blue Dream, I get that it's bullseye and everything, but I most feeling like I feel like something's going on with Vanessa that we don't quite get. Yeah, And I can't tell if it's like she's gonna be sick or she's worried. I don't know what it is, but like I'm interested. It feels like she's on a different journey. And I would also say that in itself mirrors Karen, not because she is out of it or anything, but because she too is getting this hint of being on a different journey from Matt, Like Matt has his rules, Matt has his hope, and we get that ending where it really seems like Karen's like, eh, I'm a bit more like Frank now, like what does that mean to you?
Speaker 3: Like can we still there?
Speaker 1: It does feel as if Vanessa is on a path to sabotaging Wilson somehow has anymore like while Karen, you know, there's like a there's like a metaphor for like coalition politics with the resistance where it's like you got Matt who's like, we gotta do it the legal way, guys, there's a system, and we gotta believe in our system, even if it's broken and corrupt, yes, And then we have other people within this like big Tint vigilanti politics are like, I don't know, I think we should kill him. The tension and the tension between that is like very very real and very actually like super fun. It's fun to watch Karen struggle with her interior like bloodlust that she I don't know that you know, Frank Frank pilled her. Sheer pilled her. Say so she's not okay with Bullseye being involved, but then she's.
Speaker 4: Well because bulls I did kill their friends.
Speaker 7: Yes, but then she's like, oh man, I wish Frank were here to kill people instead. On the other hand, I was like kind of okay with bulls Eye killing them, but doesn't want Frank involved. And yeah, they they have this really interesting give and take when they're okay with pushing the line and crossing it and then they kind of fall back and I understand bulls I did kill Foggy, so that is a huge thing.
Speaker 3: But like Matt's kind of way, it's funny and I love this.
Speaker 2: This is the kind of meet and conversation and discourse starting that we haven't really had narratively in a show for a long time where it's like, well, what would you do? And it feels more real than ever because now you know, this is essentially a show that's saying, well, hey, you know, wouldn't what would you do? Would you go back and kill baby Hitler? Or if Hitler's just fully alive, or if he's Wilson Fisk, Like Karen's just like at the point where she's like, well, if he's evil and he's ruining the station and we just get rid of him.
Speaker 3: But Matt just can't think that way. And it's quite a.
Speaker 2: Scary thing to hear somebody say in TV in this context of real life.
Speaker 3: But I think that's what the show is doing so.
Speaker 2: Brilliantly, and I'm just so excited for people to, you know, start having these conversations. Our discord was like, couldn't believe after the first episode just how much the show really feels as timely as and or which we just weren't expecting from a dead evil show.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. I will say that it does. The danger of this framing is that it does potentially set up a situation where Matt is so dumb and naive that we can't take it anymore. That's because because if Matt, you know, it's like break breaking and entering assault the dead sailors on the ship who went down. I'm not saying he caused that.
Speaker 3: But let you know that they wouldn't have sunk the ship.
Speaker 1: You got to take some responsibility for that. And so to to be like you gotta to uphold the system, we got to break the law. I'm not like saying no to that. I think it's I think it's the central tension of Daredevil, like as a figure, but like if Matt really fully believed in what he was saying, shouldn't he shouldn't he just go back to work at McDuffie, Like why why are you that's what you should be doing. Then go do that and let Dexon Karen kill all the task forts guys exactly, make a make a two sided team.
Speaker 3: We can do both. I mean, I also, this is such.
Speaker 2: Classic Matt because it's a lot. But the funniest shait about Matt is like he's always like, I don't kill, and then just teams up.
Speaker 3: With loads of people who kill. So like it's like he loves the bullseye.
Speaker 2: Just showed up and killed those guys because he was just gonna die and not kill them, and they're happily in Catholic heaven or hell, being like, I didn't kill.
Speaker 3: Those guys, but bulls. I was like, hey, I killed them for you.
Speaker 4: Well, how did you?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: What did you? I thought he was going to the church to kill Sister Maggie or to make her tell him where Matt is. But it seems but by the end of it, by the end of the episode, I'm like, waiter, it seems like they're doing a not the reverse heel turn with Dex, Like that's how it's setting it up so that we are going to be like, oh, he's the good guy in this one.
Speaker 2: I think that if we look at the history of the MCU Marvel, Netflix TV shows, all of the heroes within them, whether it was Jessica or Luke, even you know, Danny or whatever, they were always very flawed people, Like that was kind of the point, like Jessica's killed people, Jessica has like tons of guilt, Jessica was controlled by the Purple Man. Jessica killed Luke's wife, like, so, I do think there is a potential that taking a character like Dex who has a big fandom, who is so brilliantly played by the actor who I learned recently was a professional tennis player before and was never thought he was going to be an actor and kind of just ended up as an actor.
Speaker 3: He's at C two me too this weekend.
Speaker 2: Actually, and I think that it would make a lot of sense from what they're hinting that we see a Dex who is essentially on a redemption arc. Now that doesn't mean he's going to become the world's greatest guy who never kills anyone, but I do think that what is being hinted at here is that Dex has kind of realized that he was being manipulated by Fisk and Vanessa, which we knew because that was why he wanted to kill them at the end of last season. He does have guilt about killing Foggy. We saw that end of last season. So yeah, this is giving to me me, Like, you know, he.
Speaker 1: He's probably killed like two hundred people. It's like when you already attacked the bar and he like killed bystanders died in that attack.
Speaker 2: Remember when they threw him off the roof and we all thought he was definitely dead, but he was just chilling like, yeah, it was a lot.
Speaker 1: A lot of guy, it's it's listen. I'm gonna fully buy in, especially because I'm sure he's gonna be killing more Task members task Force members from here on out. That said, let's not like loose sight of the fact. No, there's probably like thirty there's probably thirty people from the bar attack that are fucking deceased, dead dead dead.
Speaker 3: If we remember when Bullseye was fussed introduced there, I mean he.
Speaker 1: Was psychopath, like, yeah, he was a serial killer, serial killer.
Speaker 3: Now look he's a good boy now and.
Speaker 2: He's a good boy. But no, no, I love the hint because I agree with you. I definitely thought that she was good, that he was going there to kill her. But also I kind of like the unknowable nature of Dex right now, which is like, if he didn't see that priest then she had have been there, maybe he would have killed her, Like we don't know, but that interaction with the priest made him think, oh I can get absolution.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's a different route for me, you know.
Speaker 2: I also want to say, guys, I got many people who are pointing this out on the internet. Dex did not waste his time by writing your welcome on the knife. He scratched it in so that Da Devil, who is blind, would be able to feel it.
Speaker 3: These are friends.
Speaker 2: Come on, guys, he's he's he's in a toy He's trying to be a toying relationship with him. He wants to be Dead Devil's new bestie, new joker.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but come on.
Speaker 2: He did not write them on the knife, he scratched them in. Come on, guys, Dead Evil could feel it. Yeah, I love I obviously very excited for more decks. I do think that the way they handle it is basically gonna have to be He's still crazy and a murderer, but he's murdering the right people. That's the only way it's gonna feel. Yes, believable. So Jason, like you said, I want to see him taking out the task Force. Also, we know who's in charge of the wider MCU right now with Valentino, with all these villains with the thunderbolts. So that is a place for heroes who have done horrific things like chopp someone's head off with a fucking captain in America shield on camera. You can still become a hero. So I think that is an interesting space that we're in when it comes to Dex as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, MCU has no shortage of villains or criminals turned heroes between Thunderbolts Guardians of the Galaxy, Like, we've got plenty of that. I mean, there's hints of Widow and Hawkeye doing who knows what.
Speaker 3: Well Widow is. I mean Hawky was a serial killer. Yeah, yeah, he went to Ron in phase.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I mean I think that there's definitely room for it. But I think Dex will always be somewhat of a third party wild card. Like I don't think we're gonna get a scene of Dex and Karen side by side fighting, No, but like, and he might be somewhere in the fight I would love to see.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to see that him and Karen showdown because they're gonna have to come into contact at some point and she is not gonna be happy about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about our death pool. Who is good at this point after season, after episode two, who do we think is going to make it and who do we think is not going to make it to the end?
Speaker 7: Erin So, just a reminder, last episode, Jason, you chose Karen, Vanessa and Bullseye is who you thought were most likely to die?
Speaker 1: Rosie?
Speaker 7: You had Karen, Daniel and swordsman Jack, and I had Cherry, Buck and Heather.
Speaker 2: Okay, Aaron, who are you? Are you switching out any are you keeping it the same? What do you feel like?
Speaker 7: I think that you know, Buck didn't really do too much in this episode other than like advise Fisk about trying to reveal Matt's identity, So I don't Buck's neutral like for me right now? Cherry though, like showing up and you start in a hospital room, you got a couple old cops protecting you from the task Force.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm like full in on this.
Speaker 7: I think he's he's not gonna make it.
Speaker 3: I think they do don't have the security.
Speaker 1: You don't have a double heart attack in the previous episodes, so I think it's very tough for him.
Speaker 3: I agree. What about Head though, you think she's surviving and you think she's dying.
Speaker 7: You know, I think she's going to I think she's gonna have some big part to play. I think they're they're doing too much teasing of her and Matt and their history, and we're seeing how much Vigilantes have messed her up.
Speaker 1: I think I'm sticking with it. I think, yeah, yeah, I think Heather's Hell vigil that was a super villain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, healer, make it makes sense. Muse was never just Muse was killing random people like yeah, painting with their bod like come on, s okay, So you're sticking with the Deadpool.
Speaker 7: Auron, Yeah, I'm sticking with him. Is not enough stuff to change anything? On Buck, I think, okay, sticking with those three.
Speaker 3: I'm taking Karen off my dead Pool. I think that she's coming through.
Speaker 2: I think that this Punisher Frank thing is gonna have to I think that's gonna have to stick to until we get to this Punisher special that we now know is gonna come out on May twelve. So I think Karen's still there. I think Daniel, I don't know, but Swordsmen take him off. I'm adding, Bbe, I think after this episode she's playing with fire.
Speaker 3: We don't know that she is gonna make it.
Speaker 2: I think that that, for me is the big after this one, Bibe, I don't want you to die, but you're gonna have all eyes on you, babe.
Speaker 3: So I don't think she's gonna last, do you.
Speaker 7: Have one more Daniel Bibe and.
Speaker 2: Oof because Karen's gone Daniel Baby Hmm, I don't think Swordsman is important enough. I'm gonna add Cherry to he has not been looking good. Let's go for a sake. Sorry, bro, but if he survivees.
Speaker 3: Good for him.
Speaker 2: And I refuse to put I will not put Christa McDuffie on that because I need her to survive this season, Jason.
Speaker 3: Last week it was was Karen, Vanessa Bullseye. Any changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that there are some either or situations here. I think it's either Karen or Vanessa. I don't think it's gonna be both. And I think it's either be B or Dan. I don't think it's gonna be Yeah. I'm gonna keep Bullseye. I am going to I think Karen leaving Matt for Frank is too juicy a plotline to pass up, So I need to take her off, and I'm gonna go Vanessa Bullseye and either be Be your Dan. Yeah, yeah, either.
Speaker 4: I think it's either be Be or Dan.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: It's either be Be or Dan. I think one of them has gotta go.
Speaker 2: Which is such a shame because I actually really love that relationship.
Speaker 3: Is why I think it is gonna happen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I'm going to want to have some interaction that's not marred by duplicity and sneaky. I mean, in each other's back at some point. Just give him something good, because it's.
Speaker 1: Something Bebe is. I continue to listen, Bbe's fighting a good fight. I'm not sure she's doing it in the most ethical way or the smart way or the did clearly not the smartest way, because like you have to build in some firewalls between yourself and video that comes directly from the mayor's I'm saying, like, could you please, like at least get a hack involved, But like I know that there's someone who can, you know, ping the sk signal so it looks like it's coming from somewhere else, like Memphis doesn't know that much about technology, you know what I'll add, I do think that it's very possible that we lose Buck as well. It's because like what's going on with what's going with Buck? You keep wanting him to do more and he it's like we're setting him up for some big scene that never happens.
Speaker 2: I'm interested too, because he's kind of on a sim it feels like they're setting him up for a similar route as Bulls Eye in a way, even though I don't think so. I don't think that's where it's going. But like you know this, he's like more thoughtful, he's more kind. Even when he does the terrible thing, he kind of has acknowledgement of it.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: It feels like he himself is having his own kind of crisis, but they need to speed it up.
Speaker 3: Will let us know what it is?
Speaker 1: I agree? Okay, Well we're going to continue following Dared douvel Board again season two on X ray Vision. Coming up Mall's Shadow Lord and of course more Dearedevil Board Again. That's it for this episode, Aron, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepts Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Faye wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our Discord moderator,