Speaker 1: Welcome to the Steelers Preview show on WDVE Pittsburgh, brought.
Speaker 2: To you by your neighborhood Ford Store.
Speaker 1: The F one fifty is the official truck of the Pittsburgh Steelers by Brian Patton and Associates. It's all about the benefits and by the Steelers Pro Shop. Get it direct from the team at shop dot Steelers dot com. And now here are your hosts, Merril Hodge, Matt Williamson, and Mike Persuda.
Speaker 3: Good evening and welcome to another edition of Steelers Preview as we get ready for a Week five matchup the Steelers and the Cowboys Sunday at Akrosher Stadium Sunday Night Football on Mike Persuda along with Matt Williamson, our factor back Merril Hodge will be with us directly, but Matt a lot to unpack heading into this matchup. And the quarterback saga in Pittsburgh ever present.
Speaker 4: Uh, it won't go away because it's.
Speaker 3: Not resolved yet and I'm not sure if we're close to a resolution, but I can tell you this. Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday that they expected to see more from Russell Wilson this week. Yeah, Yeah, more of a workload, more involvement and well, guess what Russell Wilson talked about that after practice today. Russ Mike had told us on Tuesday the expectation was to ramp it up this week.
Speaker 4: Is that occurring and how's it going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you guys are out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're definitely ramping it up. It's been good.
Speaker 4: I feel great and just getting better every day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely been on to hopping the.
Speaker 3: Team drills and get more plays and.
Speaker 5: Just be able to do that.
Speaker 4: That was that's been great this week, and then doing all the team.
Speaker 8: Eleven on eleven and also seven on seven all that stuff too as well.
Speaker 6: So it's been good.
Speaker 3: Now everybody in the media has been out there shooting our videos when they allow us to for the individual right position group work, and we've all seen Russell Wilson not moving latterly doing ok doing things the quarterbacks do throwing the ball, yeah, but like taking third string reps and when they do play action boot from under center, he does gun stationary path.
Speaker 6: Okay, so he does different stuff than everybody else.
Speaker 3: But you just heard of a moment ago, say he did eleven on eleven. I think that's a significant shift. That's a real shift in the landscape. You concur obviously, no question.
Speaker 6: You don't put you out there when you're not healthy for that kind of stuff, right, So.
Speaker 3: What do you think a week or two maybe and uh, he's declared a viable option or do they do.
Speaker 6: You think there's any chance he's the two this week?
Speaker 3: I hadn't thought about it, but that will certainly be something to keep an eye on. I mean my initial suspicion is no, but they don't ask me, right, And.
Speaker 6: That's always a weird situation. I mean, well, if he's the two, why shouldn't he be the one?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 6: But I do think if he's the two, I would run Fields with a little more reckless abandon you know, knowing that we could go to this guy if he gets hurt or whatever, if.
Speaker 4: There's something other than be the emergency guy.
Speaker 6: And yeah, yeah, yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, eleven on eleven to me is a significant step.
Speaker 4: It might just be one, but yeah, it's a big one.
Speaker 6: It sure seems like he's awful close, whether it's this week or next being in the mix, and it's true decision time. I think Fields was going to start this game. I think that's pretty clear at this point on a Thursday. But I really understand both sides. I mean, I'm intrigued with both. I'd love to see this offense with Wilson. He did, he does some good things. It would be very slightly different. But I think both players are highly intriguing, and I don't envy coach Somlin for having to make that decision when the time truly comes.
Speaker 3: You know, when they acquire Justin Fields, I thought, great move, doesn't cost you much, great athletic skill set. Maybe you take a year and fix this guy. Yeah, and he's your option next year because he's ten years a chance, right. I was also told by people in the league that exposure to Wilson and his work ethic and his study habits and his general understanding of how to be the quarterback, not play the quarterback, but be that was going to be beneficial of Justin Fields.
Speaker 6: He's gonna have any of that in Chicago.
Speaker 3: He has probably come further faster than I would have anticipated.
Speaker 6: But that's said.
Speaker 3: You went out and got Russ for a reason, and I think they owe it to themselves to see what it looks like with him playing.
Speaker 6: But if it's four and one, and the offense keeps getting better, and you know what I mean, these are good problems to have.
Speaker 4: That's the tough part of the decision. Fields is in line to start again Sunday night against Dallas. It'll be his fifth in a row.
Speaker 3: He was asked, given the Wilson development today, if Justin Fields thought that, well, is there any added pressure or is this game maybe an audition to keep the gig?
Speaker 9: Not really, I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing, and whatever decision he makes, he makes at the end of the day. So I can only control what I do in the field. But now I'm just gonna go out there and keep doing what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: So of course we also asked Arthur's Smith, the offensive coordinator, about this, and this is one of my favorite answers of the season. You know, Arthur used to be the head coach in Atlanta. Yeah, yeah, he used to have to deal with this stuff.
Speaker 4: Not anymore.
Speaker 10: That's more question for for coach Tomlin obviously the doctors.
Speaker 7: Uh I joke, that's what's more freeing about my job.
Speaker 6: Now, don't.
Speaker 10: Mike and Gable give me the questions whatever? You know, decisions they're gonna make, and my job is to executed the plan and you know, get the orders right. Mike tells me, take Vienna, take Vienna if you get that reference. So look, every player coming back, whether it's Pro or you know, CP or Jalen, you know, as you work them back in, you've got to have a customized plan or a turn to play, and you know, so that's kind of going on the side. And then my focus is a who's going to be up? How do we put the best plan it could beat Dallas a Sunday night.
Speaker 4: You know, full disclosure, I did not get the take Vienna reference, and.
Speaker 6: I don't know it. I thought he as a military buff, would I assume it's something that related.
Speaker 4: I'm an amateur historian.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: World War One I'm pretty good. Civil War I'm pretty good. World War two really good. Okay, this is a Napoleon. Oh okay, if you're gonna take Vienna, take Vienna.
Speaker 6: I loved his answer too, though, I mean, like it's coming from a former head coach.
Speaker 4: He was smiling. Why but I don't have to it's not above my pay grade.
Speaker 3: But that's awesome, you know, I don't think it would Wilson's still not up to snuff health wise, but that day's coming once they clear them. It can't take long. He's been doing this his whole life. I mean, it's not like he's gonna need a month.
Speaker 6: To row Wilson, I think. I mean, it wouldn't take long for the decision.
Speaker 3: No, Yah, once I get I don't know how you know, if it's next week or the week after, he's probably ready then oh.
Speaker 6: I would think, so if you want, if you want to play him, and then it's true decision time. But keep gathering information on fields in the meantime, and like I said a couple of minutes ago, he's further along than I would expect it after five games now.
Speaker 3: In addition to Wilson being limited today for the second consecutive day, no Jalen Warren knee for the second straight day, no Alex high Smith with his groin, no Michael Pruett knee, no Corderio Patterson ankle. Line was pretty short of running back. I bet, how do you like the Harvard kid? Not as much as the other two that didn't participate today. I'd love to see more of Warren and I mean Patterson's intriguing, But I thought Warren's been their best back for two years in a row. I mean, I think he's been missed in a big way. Nick Herbig went he was a slight upgrade from did not practice too limited today. Mike Tomlin had said at the outset of the week that they, you know, it might be some limitations early, but push him too hard. He was less of a concern. Larry Ogan job he showed up today is limited with a groin. I'm gonna assume that's, you know, taking.
Speaker 6: Short of veteran, taking care of a veteran.
Speaker 3: And I mean he's for a couple of years now, he's played more than he's practiced, or so it is.
Speaker 6: But he's but the groin designation's new, right. Yes, it's not a rest, you know, but he has been good. He's been real good, been real good. The whole front has been good. Dallas, Are you worry about Herbig? Not particularly Okay, I thought he was pretty safe to play. Heismith's not going to play.
Speaker 3: But I'm not right, And I'd probably like to see a little more out of the marvel leale than I saw in Indianapolis.
Speaker 6: And Moon could be back in the mix right.
Speaker 4: Well, the window has started. They have twenty one days.
Speaker 3: He started practicing this week, so they have twenty one days to activate him off of reserve injured or leave him there for the rest of the year. Two days of full participation. He's something of a veteran. I mean he's.
Speaker 6: Been on fields, he's been in stadiums. Is oh yeah, right right.
Speaker 3: So maybe, I mean might they might need some depth at outside linebacker. Dallas has got some issues. They really do as well. Cornerback Colleen Carson, rookie fifth rounder out of Wake Forest. He's been limited for the last two days with a shoulder. Did not play in the Thursday night victory over the New York Football Giants a week ago. Brandon Cook's wide receiver knee hasn't practiced yet this week. Michael Parson's ankle hasn't practiced yet this week.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody's anticipating he's gonna.
Speaker 6: Play or Corks. I think Cook's been rolled out too.
Speaker 3: Trayvon Diggs showed up with an ankle as limited today, and Tyler Goeyiton their left tackle rookie out of Oklahoma. He was a full participant today, but they list him as having a shoulder injury. I would think the Steelers are sending get well soon cards to Tyler Geyiton. He's an interesting player because you know, I want that guy playing a fund of Steelers. Absolutely, and Dale's been mentioned it a few times that maybe getting Cam Hayward to bump a little further away from the ball and bull rush Geiton could be really profitable this week. He's a promising prospect. I liked him a lot coming out.
Speaker 4: But pretty suspect right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he is and doesn't deal with power all that well, you know, and he's switching sides too. He's a right tackle turn left.
Speaker 3: Steelers Preview is brought to you in part by the Steelers Pro Shop. Gear up with the latest game day necessities at the Official Steelers Pro Shops. Get the latest Sideline apparel, Jersey's Terrible towels, authentic member. I love authentic memorabilia. You do of all the sports stuff. Yeah, it speaks to me. You can also get custom exclusives you can only find directly from the team, is it one of the official Steelers pro shops. Those are located at Akrocher Stadium, the Grove City Premium Outlets, and the Tanger outlets. You can also gear up online at shop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 4: When we come back, it's Factor Back time.
Speaker 3: Merril Hodge joins the show to continue putting it on the tee for the Steelers and the Cowboys Sunday Night at Akroscher. You're listening to Steelers Preview right here on the Steelers flagship one of two point five DVE and the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: Back to the Steelers Preview show on DVE.
Speaker 3: Welcome back Mike Pursuder and Matt Williamson, getting you ready for the steel and the Cowboys Sunday Night football.
Speaker 4: An historic matchup.
Speaker 3: Although both of these teams have seen better days now, they've both seen some great days. But both of these teams are sorting through some stuff. And as we continue to do that in advance of Sunday Nights game, it's time to.
Speaker 4: Call on the Factor back, Merril Hodge.
Speaker 3: Joining us as he always does here on the preview. Merril, I'm gonna hit you with a deep dive here to start things out, because the quarterback talk continues to be all the rage here in town.
Speaker 4: Everybody wondering has.
Speaker 3: Justin Field's done enough to win the job. Do they need to turn to Russell Wilson at some point. How close is Russell Wilson to actually playing I want to keep it real field specific to open things up here, how is he played in these first four games relative to how you thought he'd play? And then part B, how is he playing if they had to play Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes in the playoffs tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Would you feel about that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 8: Actually, I feel okay with Patrick Mahomes right now and even maybe even Josh Allen a little bit with where their offense is because those are some of the best offenses in football. Right now, I know I'm gonna I'm digressing, then I'll get back to your answer question.
Speaker 6: I love your digression digress away.
Speaker 5: So I will tell you this.
Speaker 8: The Washington Redskins offense is terrific, the the Lions offense is is terrific.
Speaker 5: And there's one other offense that's gonna come to me here in a second.
Speaker 8: I think there's some of the best offenses in football, and the two that you mentioned earlier couldn't hold couldn't couldn't play with those offenses Buffalo or Kansas City. Now, okay, that's being said, How's justin played. He's played exactly like I thought he would play, and they're doing exactly what they should do with him based on the experience that he has and where his skill set is. Because I think I don't I don't have said this before. I don't think people understand it enough. This kid has had an offensive coordinator, a new office coordinator, and every year he's played.
Speaker 5: And he started Ohio State, Okay, son, he played a year there. They went to Chicago, three years, three coordinators, and now new coordinator. He can I don't care.
Speaker 7: Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady.
Speaker 8: None of those guys would have been developed in their third year where they were eventually developed, had they kept changing systems. Okay, Now I'm not making excuses. I'm just saying those are raw facts, and he is a very raw player. He does he hasn't taken some steps from an.
Speaker 7: Anticipation aspect of the game.
Speaker 8: What's interesting is he'll throw it outside the numbers with some anticipation, but he won't throw it inside the numbers. And I and I can tell his doubt any I can tell he.
Speaker 5: Just you know, he just doesn't trust it enough.
Speaker 7: Okay, that might be he never.
Speaker 8: Gets over that or it might get the more reps and the more he plays, eventually he'll start doing it. So I mean, so I guess you know you're asking me, and I'm not sitting in those mean rooms. And I know how this is from a coaching perspective too. Okay, I might be saying, you know, call Russell Wilson's experience, I can I can open this offense a little more with Russell Wilson. Okay, Now I'm beings coach going that you can saying that, Okay, I knew everything that Justin has been doing, and I might be able to advance a little more as far as throwing the football. Now, I also have to consider Justin gets us out of some trouble too athletically.
Speaker 7: You know, he does some things that Russell can't.
Speaker 8: So is that wash or are those pluses or minuses worth making the change at three and one?
Speaker 7: You know, And that's a hard decision, you know, and one.
Speaker 6: I understand both sides.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I clearly would too. And those guys are sitting in that mediu.
Speaker 5: I'm just telling they got.
Speaker 8: A massive advantage, you know, because you're with those guys all the time.
Speaker 7: And that's what I clearly.
Speaker 8: Don't have the luxury of making that. That's why I'm just trying to be as fair and honest as I can with with whatever decision is made.
Speaker 7: I can understand it, Merril.
Speaker 3: Those are the other two things I count on from you, digressions, fairness and honesty.
Speaker 4: You've checked everybody.
Speaker 5: It makes it.
Speaker 7: It makes it a clean show.
Speaker 5: We like about.
Speaker 8: So but it'll be interesting what they do. It really will be interesting.
Speaker 6: So it looks I don't know about unlikely, but there's a chance Warren and Patterson aren't going to be playing this week, which nause. He's always handled a big workload. He's capable of a big workload, but his efficiency this year has been really poor. I mean yards for carry getting hit behind the line of scrimmage an awful lot. What would you do to get him back on track or to make him more comfortable as a runner. Do you think all this zone stuff is not his bag?
Speaker 5: Well? I can.
Speaker 7: I can tell you this what we talked about on the morning show.
Speaker 5: You know, when.
Speaker 7: Would they change?
Speaker 8: They went man blocking schemes and he wasn't in there, and that's where they hit a lot of big runs.
Speaker 7: And I knew exactly what was going to happen.
Speaker 8: They're like, oh, you know, the runner gets all the credit. You know, of course, nobody knows that they changed. They changed what they did. They did some you know, different things because they weren't having that much success. You know, you got to give to the I'll tell you this, I didn't.
Speaker 5: I did not think the.
Speaker 8: Colts would play like that up front. They hadn't really played like that against anybody all year. So you know, but you know that's why you know, you number undrest them a professional, not after they've been embarrassed, but when they know they have to stop something to neutralize an offense.
Speaker 4: You know, they knew if they could do that, had been embarrassed for a couple of weeks there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that has the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Yes, So you know, so that'd be said. I you know, you did say. The one thing that as I Todd his rookie year was probably the most impressing thing is that age played almost every dawn. Third downs included, and third bounds the hardest in football, not just just from a mental perspective.
Speaker 7: You understand pressures and all the things that.
Speaker 5: You've got to do, and really, that guy.
Speaker 8: If you're good enough and I thought, nag, was you got offset some mistakes that are going to happen up front because those guys have people in their face quickly and they make the mistakes. You got to just to that. And I thought instinctively, he knew how to do those things. So they're not going to be in trouble, you know, because it's just him. And you know, I think that maybe just talk about him, you know, you know, not having the yards he is, that that will work its way out because he's going to be on the field probably all the time.
Speaker 3: Mar We've done a lot of shows together for a lot of years, particularly this one for several years now, and I honestly I sit here and I listen to you talk, and I take what you say to heart. You just mentioned one of your standards, never underestimated professional, who's embarrassed. You always emphasize you got to run the ball and set the tone.
Speaker 4: And I buy this stuff. I eat it with a spoon. And another thing that you have continually.
Speaker 3: Emphasized is running quarterbacks don't win the Super Bowl. So getting back to getting back to fields, Actually this is going to sound contradictory. I actually want to see him use his legs more on design runs. I don't think they're taking advantage of his best asset. But my question to you is a couple of plays he made it indy, he kind of got out of the pocket and threw one.
Speaker 4: Deep hit pick. It's great.
Speaker 3: I looked like at least one of his tds was a scramble down near the goal line. Both both both of them might have been. I'm not sure about one of them. But is he doing enough in the pocket to pass your eye.
Speaker 7: Test based on his skill set that he has right now?
Speaker 5: Yes, you know.
Speaker 8: Now, going back to the ability to run the football, I've actually thought that a young guy that has the ability to do that can actually lengthen his career and it is a big ass in helping him develop because he can get out of trouble and he can make some positive plays. Here's the whole problem. Some never transition from their legs. Everything they did with their legs, so they're right on or left arm, depending on what's where they throw the football, and that's ultimately what has to happen. They sometimes guys who run run it really well, they just they keep doing it and they never stop doing it, and they go to it all the time, and they never throw and evolved as a passer.
Speaker 7: And see what they're doing with justin fields.
Speaker 8: I mean, you're gonna come to that hurdle now, It's not now, I mean it's not now. This would be even next year. I would want to see him run less. And I'm five to.
Speaker 5: Your point about him running a little more.
Speaker 8: Using his legs more, you know, designing some stuff a little more.
Speaker 3: But when they get closed, I'd actually like to see the ball get thrown in the end zone.
Speaker 6: One, yeah, some of the red zone stuff kind of.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, and I remember the offense I was talking about.
Speaker 5: I was gonna mention too the.
Speaker 8: Other the third offense actually probably with the best offenses in football is the Ravens and the way they are orchestrating. Now, look at the way they use their quarterback. If you look at if you studied their running game, it is fascinating. I'm challenge here, is mind blowing, incredible. It is like I'm never seen a more diverse, complete, powerful running game in all this time.
Speaker 5: I've been doing it.
Speaker 8: You know, quarterback gives them that that little wrinkle.
Speaker 5: And I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see those.
Speaker 8: Type of things being put into this offense a little more as you grow, as Arthur Smith looks at teams, Well, I'll tell you this, this would be a great example to do it.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 8: I think this is a great opportunity against the Dallas Cowboys to do a little bit what you're talking about. They're more justice fields, running with the ball, and there's explosive play opportunities based on just what the Steelers really do good right now, just their element in the passing game, and I think you could have evolved that and create some real success in this matchup based on some vulnerabilities that the Cowboys have. They struggle with misdirection, and they struggle on the back end individually and as a group working together. So I think there's a lot of opportunities for growth here with justin fields and all the things that you mentioned, with little mobility, run the football and actually explosive plays.
Speaker 6: What about the old line. I think skintting Isaac seeing them all back could go a long way. But there's been so much shuffling. The continuity thing just hasn't been there at all.
Speaker 5: And that does take a toll. It takes a toll. And and you see the difference.
Speaker 8: That's why, you know, I think Arthur was really forced to kind of, you know, start some man blocking schemes that the.
Speaker 5: The zone stuff, you know that that.
Speaker 8: Just takes chemistry and a lot of reps together and a good feel for one another.
Speaker 5: And when you get in the huddle and you're like, what's your name, you know.
Speaker 8: You get to introduce to somebody's yeah, we're it's gonna make it hard to work together as one. And I think that's why he did some of the stuff that he's done, you know, And but as a whole I tell you that they have done a pretty good job.
Speaker 7: Of adjusting to all these things.
Speaker 5: You know, this Cowboy front is not it's not the Juggernaut. You know, maybe some of the other.
Speaker 8: Games that they have they have faced this point. You know, they have the best, real I think, real concerns that linebacker.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, even across actually the front seven, I just I wouldn't I wouldn't pub would say that this is a real dangerous front seven. They're still NFL players, so it isn't like a walk in the park by any stretch imagination.
Speaker 5: I never want to give that illusion because of the pros and past all last week. I didn't. I didn't expect the Colts to really play at the level that they played, especially early in the game. But they did.
Speaker 8: So you have to you know, you can't go in there and get fooled and think that it's going to be an easy day.
Speaker 5: You know they're they're gonna have their hands full.
Speaker 8: But I should think, going back to what I said earlier, I think there's some really good opportunities for them to be explosive and maybe do some stuff with Justin Fields that we haven't seen to this point.
Speaker 3: Merrily, you mentioned the misdirection stuff. Given Dallas issues Steelers, of course, there's a lot of play action bootleg in this offense. Quarterback throw, quarterback run. The play to Darnell Washington last week where he caught the short pass and stiff armed a guy and then jumped over a guy like that, Matt remember the Georgia tape when you're evaluating him that and he.
Speaker 4: Did that in college.
Speaker 3: A couple of the players talked about that today, Najie Harris and Justin Fields. We were asking them, you know what sparked that second half turnaround and they said, well, that's played by Washington kind of got us going. You know, that was a big play. I'm paraphrasing there, but they it had their attention when it happened. I've been screaming, throw this guy the ball since they drafted him. I mean, he's the biggest target on the field. Is this a way to kind of pick up where you left off, start looking for.
Speaker 4: Number eighty a little with a little bit more regularity.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, you know, six kind of find when you mentioned that, Now they've done that.
Speaker 5: I think I don't even didn't even have a catch last year.
Speaker 6: I think I think like eleven targets at most or something like that.
Speaker 8: All right, So so he had that. That's why I just didn't remember any of them. That being said, you know, I thought Arthur, I thought we'd see a little more of it, that Arthur would get him a little more involved with, especially matchups down in scoring territory. You know, and you know you're going to get somebody who's say five ten man, put him out there. Put him out there because No. Five ten is going to handle him.
Speaker 5: You know, even six ft is going to be a struggle. So I think you might see that.
Speaker 7: A little more.
Speaker 5: I would.
Speaker 8: I agree, there's there's always you know, you never know who's gonna energize the game, you know, and that's why it's I.
Speaker 5: Know it's a cliche everybody.
Speaker 8: You talk about, you know, do your job and play every play because you really don't know where the difference might be at any point in the game. And when you can finally get players to buy into that and believe in that and start doing that and list this might be one of those things early in the season that is real valuable that they learned. You know, even though they lost that game, you know, some of the feeling I got from it is this team has a little different a little different build about them mentally and their approach. You know that they're not weak minded by.
Speaker 5: Any stretch, which is a good thing to have, you know.
Speaker 8: Especially they get towards that letter part of the year. You know, there's those divisional games are gonna are they gonna be the difference maker of who wins that division?
Speaker 3: What has led you to that conclusion The way they kept it together and rallied in Indie the comfort the comfort level and in the tough, low scoring one score games previously, Yeah, what's what's showing tough?
Speaker 5: I think it's a couple.
Speaker 8: I think they know, Okay, it's gonna be this fight at the fifty every Sunday. That's how we that's how we got to win. Okay, we're not gonna blow anybody out. We might have a day a day where turnovers go our way. We can't go the other way because we got no shot that that early on, I think they know how to win and play tough games.
Speaker 5: They're gonna play. It's gonna take us and get tire game to win. We're not gonna have an easy Sunday.
Speaker 8: And when they faced some challenges and some adversity, they rallied back.
Speaker 5: They came back as a team. You know. It wasn't uh, I don't think it.
Speaker 8: Was just one area. You know, there was a spark that you just mentioned, but everybody, you know, started to play better as a team. And at the end of the day, teams win championships. Okay, no offense is gonna win a no defense, no special teams.
Speaker 5: But teams do win.
Speaker 8: And when they all play together and they all try to do a part to make a difference and chip back into a game, which I felt like that they did there and that I would rather see that, you know, our offense got on a roll of our defense just couldn't you know, get their act together. Our special teams kept killing us. You know you didn't see that. You know, everybody contributed.
Speaker 6: So meryln. Dallas team doesn't run the football particularly well at all, which puts a lot on Dak's plate. What's your your thumbnail, Scott and report on Dak Prescott.
Speaker 8: Well, listen, I think that Dak is extremely efficient.
Speaker 5: I think that he executes his offense well.
Speaker 8: They you know, they helped him a little more than I would anticipate, you know, in the running game. You know, I really was trying to focus on that because I was like, listen, it's just like like an offense when you don't have a quarterback or that quarterback keeps for rotating and never consistent with your offense.
Speaker 5: It's just how it is. You look across the board or look at the Steelers, okay, since been left, and then if you don't have.
Speaker 8: A consistent runner, it's the same way there that that that.
Speaker 6: Becomes the ball carriers are real suspect.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, and you know there's nobody there. Well listen, now this is and the probably not gonna.
Speaker 5: Work because the Steelers.
Speaker 8: You know, uh, when I say when you put your wide receiver back there, that pretty much sums up what you think about your running game. Okay, now the Steels have a guy that plays wide receivers. He's been doing that and they return guy that he's you know, he's a he's a he's a weapon in all of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what he has done. That's how he's made his career. But not eighty eight for the Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 3: You'd rather see CD Lamb in the slaught or wide right not.
Speaker 8: Til I'm just telling you. When when I saw him go back there, I'm like, well that tells you everything.
Speaker 5: You know. It's just like two drivers. Yeah, they don't have a back.
Speaker 7: They really don't.
Speaker 5: They just don't have it back.
Speaker 8: Now that being said, you know, I think it's twenty three who gets the most to carries.
Speaker 5: He's got a wiggle. Yeah, he's got a wiggle to him.
Speaker 8: That you man, don't sleep on him because he does make some some impressive plays and you know, get you out of trouble, cleans up some dirt.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: So he isn't like he's you know and he's nobody. I mean, he's he's a pretty good run, or they just haven't established anything where it's their foundation.
Speaker 5: You know. It's uh, it's kind of interesting. You know they've asked. They put a lot of it on Dak, and I'm going back to kind of finish him out. You know, I don't Dak needs that, you know, he's He's just he doesn't.
Speaker 8: He's not at that elite stead It's like like a band or a Brady where you can offset during the season not having some phase of your running game going well and I can carry the team. I think Dak is at his best when they have that other phase to it, and I think that's part of their struggles with the struggles we've already documented with their defense.
Speaker 4: Zee Kelliott doesn't look anything like he used to.
Speaker 8: Noeke is as a Joe verse.
Speaker 3: So this is a team coming in here to Pittsburgh that doesn't run, doesn't stop the run, beat up on both sides of.
Speaker 6: The best two defensive players are out.
Speaker 3: How do you see this from playing out and the Steelers team. I can tell you just from being in the locker room today. The offensive side thinks they found something in Indy and I got the impression today MARYL.
Speaker 4: They can't wait to get back out there.
Speaker 3: Like they know they lost the game, and they know they made mistakes that lost it.
Speaker 4: They lost that one more than the Colts beat them four.
Speaker 6: Hundred plus yards every week.
Speaker 3: This offense feels like it's it's ready to hit another gear. And I think you got a wounded opponent coming in here. What do you see happen in Sunday night at after sure?
Speaker 8: Man, I'm telling you if that, if that focus is the ownership of their offense, and that is really how they're looking at this thing and not going, hey, listen, and we're also playing somebody who's wounded over there, and then you let your mind settle into that. If their complete focus is, man, we blew some things, we got it, but we could build on and we have a chance to be great.
Speaker 5: Boy.
Speaker 8: If they carry that into the game, then man, I don't have a lot of worries in them.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll just tell you this about their mindset. It's hard to read a locker room when you know you're in there for fifteen minutes or half an hour. But Nazie Harris would normally rather get a root canal than talk to us.
Speaker 4: And he was excited today.
Speaker 8: Well, I like that, you know, I like that. You know that makes you know, I listen, You're right, you have better pulse. I could go in there and you know, if I was in the locker room, I have a much better field.
Speaker 5: And you know, somebody telling me about it. But you know, your approach to things matters. You know, it isn't just like on Sunday. It's all week.
Speaker 8: You know, how are you approaching it? If they're approaching it with hunger and man, we got we missed an opportunity. But man, we're not going to miss that opportunity again, and we're going to show it. And there's your focus, and that's.
Speaker 5: What you're working on. That's what you're preparing for. Well, then you'll take care of the opponent.
Speaker 8: But if you're like, well the opponents wounded, you know they don't have that is the cowboy team.
Speaker 5: You know everybody thinks they are and we'll be okay.
Speaker 8: Then that's when you got boy something bad could happen. So I like hearing that that is the right approach to have.
Speaker 5: The right mindset to have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I would describe it as I think they have something to establish less than they have something to prove. I think they want to show that that wasn't good. You know, the planets lining up right when way behind it and they just made a few plays. But uh, Meryl, we'll look forward to doing this again before the Steelers visit fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well I was just there for the Browns Vegas game and so yeah, yeah, well, gosh Ill, if you ever want to know.
Speaker 7: About a wounded team, Cleveland Browns are a wounded team.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: We'll see them in a little bit. Yeah, let's just take care of the Bells Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Sorry to hear that about the Browns, Meryl, great stuff. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 5: I see you guys.
Speaker 4: Merril Hodge are factor back.
Speaker 3: We've still got a lot of ground to cover, and Matt and I will do so directly. You are listening to Steelers Preview right here on your Steelers Flagship one or two point five DV and the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: Back to the Steelers Preview show on DV.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Mike Pursuiter and Matt Williamson taking you home as we continue setting things up for the Steelers and the Cowboys Sunday at acresshure man, I love.
Speaker 4: When Merrill gets insightful.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I like the x's and o's, but I like to hear him talk about the process in the mindset, absolutely, and what's going on.
Speaker 6: I think he was enjoying your locker room touch stuff, and yeah, I wish he was air.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it today.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was a vibe and it's dangerous. You know, I've been doing this media thing a long time, and guys think, because you get some guys think if you get to talk to somebody for five minutes a couple of times.
Speaker 4: A week or you're around it, you know what's going on. You really don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, of course you can't get an accurate read on psychology or motion, but you get suspicions and you get vibes.
Speaker 6: But you spend a lot of hours in those walls or practice fielder. Yeah, I'm sure you get different feelings.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, good thing with you know, NASA usually has to be dragged into those things.
Speaker 6: He was.
Speaker 4: He was fired up.
Speaker 6: Today, Like I bet Raven's week is different than Joe blow week, you know. I mean, you definitely get different vibes and feelings.
Speaker 3: What to expect is brought to you by Brian Patton and associates. It's all about the benefits. I mentioned, uh previously tonight, that I'm not real impressed with Tyler Geiton, number sixty, the left tackle for the Dallas Cowboys. What I expect is that this guy's going to struggle to block people, and I based that on his performance against the New York Football Giants a week ago.
Speaker 6: Now, it's good at pairadreshers, but yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean Kevon Thibodeau is a real deal.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, Yeah, Burns is really good.
Speaker 3: Sack two holding penalties, another holding penalty got wiped out by a defensive penalty, so it offset and didn't count. And pressure, pressure, pressure, Uh he said five holding only in four games.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's grabby and he's not super strong. He's learning the new side and thrown to the wolves to some degree too, because the right tackle is not great either, and you know the right tackle is gonna need help every right tackle does.
Speaker 4: We'll get to that. Yeah, in a minute. Do you have an expectation for Steelers Cowboys?
Speaker 6: I hate saying it this way, but this seems like the fifth week in a row where I'm not overly blown away by the opponent. I mean, at I didn't know exactly what to think. But the other four it's like, I.
Speaker 3: Try to watch these tapes with respect and the understanding of every or he's a professional.
Speaker 6: And I mean the run defense is bad. They don't run the ball well at all. If Parsons and Lawrence are out there, I'd be like, whoa, those guys are scary, dangerous. They could wreck a game for you. But the rest of the defensive personnel is bad. And man, I would keep a lot of big bodies on the field on offense and just wear down a front that's thin and not particularly strong, not particularly good. So Dak's are really good player kind of as Meryll mentioned, though, I think he's a tier two quarterback. He's not Alan or Mahomes and just take the whole world on his shoulders and could use some help and hasn't been getting a lot of it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: To expect is brought to you by Brian Patton and associates. It's all about the benefits now, the Guidon situation you mentioned, the right tackle is going to need help.
Speaker 6: Steele. Yeah.
Speaker 5: T J.
Speaker 4: Watt had a tough day in Indianapolis.
Speaker 6: His standards. I mean, yeah, but anybody still wasn't a great day.
Speaker 3: Two assisted tackles, no sacks. Terrell Austin, the defensive coordinator, talked today about how he's getting held. He's gonna get held. That's out of their hands. They just have to play through it. They got to figure things out. I know that he normally plays on that front side J. Watt quarterbacks right, and one of the reasons he does that is they like him getting his hands up and he can pick the ball.
Speaker 5: Off from there.
Speaker 6: I always assumed he was just because he was more comfortable.
Speaker 4: He chases.
Speaker 3: He chases place down so well from the backside running play. Would you consider moving him? You know some guys, they all move, Okay, most of the great rosters move around.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: You find you find the weak link, you find the matchup you can exploit, and you exploit it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Would you consider introducing Tyler Geyton to TJ Watt Sunday night?
Speaker 6: Absolutely and making it a little easier this week? Is Herbig's played both sides. He's been your swing guy, you know what I mean. Leal's been a swing guy, you know, so it wouldn't be making high Smith play left handed. And Watt play left handed. If you were to switch them where Herbigs probably doesn't care one way or another. Actually, he was on the drive with us a week or so ago and he's like, yeah, I have preferences, but I can do either. I assume the reason the Steelers don't switch them around Garrett Boso, all these guys, they picked the best matchups and switch sides. I always thought that was TJ requesting it and being more comfortable and better as the quarterbacks right side. That being said, I doubt he stinks coming from the other side, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: One think when think you know they have it's not like he's anchored on the right side. I mean they moved him over a little bit.
Speaker 6: It happens here and there.
Speaker 3: Handful of snaps last week when Harvey went out and Leal came in. You've seen him line up as a middle linebacker. Sometimes they try to get him, you know, a or B gap pressure.
Speaker 6: I just think you think Guiden's that much of a fresh fish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: In addition to doing a lot of shows over the year with Merrill, I've done a lot with Craig wolf Lee and or departed friend Toun Chilkin and he used to talk about they never wanted to be the pigeon on the offensive line, and if you saw the guy moving to get in front of you, yeah, uh oh, I'm the target on the pigeon here.
Speaker 4: I mean, this kid's got to be.
Speaker 6: It just reminds me fresh fish right right.
Speaker 4: He did not have a good game against the Giants.
Speaker 6: And now he's gotta be swimming.
Speaker 3: Now he's gonna come out on the road with the crowd always a look across the line of scrimmage and see the defensive.
Speaker 6: Player of the year towels flying in that place.
Speaker 4: We would I don't know if I want to be him right about that.
Speaker 6: If that's the matter, maybe that's why I'm on the injury report. Like you said, like you mentioned before, you know, the get well card. Maybe he should. We want him out there. I think it's the best set of guards in the league. I think both these tackles are very vulnerable. I mean, Steel to me is not a particularly good right tackle either.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy uh still coaching the Dallas Cowboys, and Uh, I've always liked Mike.
Speaker 4: I think he's a good coach.
Speaker 6: I thought he's won a lot of games.
Speaker 4: I thought he.
Speaker 3: Kind of fell into the same if trapp is the right word that Mike Tomlin has here in Pittsburgh on occasion, you know, you win a Super Bowl and you have a really good quarterback, and the fan base pretty much expects that.
Speaker 4: To happen every year, and it doesn't.
Speaker 3: That's why they have parades when you do it right. But you know, I think he got raw deal a little bit. In Green Bay Dallas, there's a lot of pressure there. He impressed me in this Giants game. He went forward on fourth and inches from his own forty with ten minutes left in the second quarter and leading only seven to six.
Speaker 4: Cowboys converted it.
Speaker 3: And I think one of the reasons why is one of the most impressive components of this Dallas team is number seventeen kicker Brandon Aubrey sixty five.
Speaker 6: These are two best kickers in the league.
Speaker 3: Sixty five yard field goal against the Ravens. Made another sixty yarder in that Giants game. He's got three career field goals of sixty plus.
Speaker 6: He's a monster. I mean, I don't know what he's like. Built in a lab. He's only missed one this year. It was from fifty one ish something like that. Boss has only missed one. It was what from sixty two? Tucker is starting to fall off and usually do a whole lot of special teams talk, but few kickers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think this is a fact there in this game.
Speaker 6: I mean absolutely.
Speaker 3: It's almost like that old field you used to get playing Baltimore you mentioned Tuck, Like when they get to the fifty, you start thinking.
Speaker 6: They're getting points.
Speaker 11: Damn, they're in field goal right now. One more first down and yeah, they're changed in the scoreboard. Absolutely, no, this guy is that good. I mean, Dallas has some faults, there's no question, but the kicker is a absolute strength.
Speaker 3: The other thing that stood out to me about this Dallas team, in addition to the problems running and stopping the run, I mentioned, they didn't have the rookie corner Carson for that Giants game. They started Andrew Booth number twenty five. He was getting owned by Malik Neighbors. So then they started putting Trayvon Diggs on Neighbors.
Speaker 4: Not every down, but most of them.
Speaker 6: He'll kind of follow sometimes right and pickings a lot.
Speaker 3: Then in the second half they went to Amani or Uarie Penn State fans will remember him now. He had played fifty five career games with Detroit and Jacksonville in the league, but he was a practice squad call up for Dallas for that game.
Speaker 6: I mean, and now Diggs is on the all of a sudden, it just pops up on the injury report.
Speaker 3: I think they have problems at corner, so yes, to anticipate without Lawrence and Parsons and given the profound problems they've had stopped in the run for the Giants game who they held the Giants to one, but.
Speaker 6: They sold out to do it. They sold the Giants are a really bad running team. If they sell out again, do you come out throwing? I think so, because I I don't know where the pass rush comes from. I mean, you're missing your two stars. Blitzing Fields hasn't gone well. I mean teams used to blitz him like crazy in Chicago and he didn't handle it well. Now he's handling it quite well, and they have good answers for him.
Speaker 4: Except for that one and anywhere he ran backwards and slip, So there was that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, it's not all I don't have. I mean I said the same thing against one week ago. Talking about Yeah, I want to keep I want big personnel on the field because I want them in their base. But that doesn't mean you can't. What do they deal with pickings or priormouth or yeah. I But what I'm saying about the Colts is I thought there was no wrong answer to attacking the Colts, and I was somewhat right, but they didn't win. I don't see any wrong answer to attacking this defense either.
Speaker 3: Short of Dak Prescott getting hurt and in Dallas having a better backup quarterback than starter, which was the case in Indianapolis.
Speaker 6: And I don't think that's respect the Cooper rush. I don't think that's the case. I'm an highest pay guy in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna repeat myself and say, this is a game. I don't see Pittsburgh losing at home again. If you do Tomlin in prime time at home against the after.
Speaker 6: And getting kind of embarrassed in a game that you were probably the better team for most snaps, I one hundred percent agree. And you're getting Dallas at a really good time.
Speaker 3: That's gonna do it for us. Appreciate Meryll joining us as he always does. Thanks to Justin Miller, with his wizardry at the board keeping everything on the air. And thanks to you for finding us however and wherever you found us. We'll do it again next Thursday, before the Steelers visit fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada. Until then, for Matt Williamson Mike, pursuit of this has been Steelers Preview right here on your Steelers flagship one of two point five TV and the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 4: Good Night everyone,